Speaker 1: You are listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair.
Speaker 2: Tonight, my friend Elizabeth Saltzman is hosting a dinner in the River Cafe for the brilliant designer Nelie l'autan. Elizabeth invited me to the dinner, but what's exciting is having nearly here all to myself before we go in Nearlie is a creative, an entrepreneur who knows how to work and also knows how to have a good time. A woman with strong values she's held on to since starting her own fashion company. She advocates for peace. She supports women and working mothers. She's authentic, having spent over thirty years refining her sense of style and her sense of self. She and I, a chef and a designer, have something else in common, believing great design, whether food or fashion, is about simplicity, precision, and timelessness. We're going to talk about food and architecture, food and politics, food and family, food and fashion, and then we get to have dinner too. Lucky me, lucky me, Thank you. You were born then in Israel.
Speaker 3: She came in nineteen forty seven. My older sister, nineteen, was born nineteen forty nine, she has a miscarriage between me and my sister. And then I was born in nineteen fifty seven. Israel was still I mean, it's constantly in conflict and wars, but it was still, you know, a small country.
Speaker 4: Everyone knew each other.
Speaker 2: And what did your father do.
Speaker 4: He was a developer, real estate developer.
Speaker 3: He did very well for himself, and we always moved into the new house that he built, which most of them were facing the Mediterranean, So I basically lived opening the window and all I saw was the Mediterranean and the horizon. So when I ended up in Crochton, I was like, I'm home. It may not be the Mediterranean, but I see the water. I was missing that in the city. So you grew up there, grew up there. Then I went to fashion school in Tel Aviv.
Speaker 2: There's only one fashion schoo wanted to do fashion.
Speaker 4: It was my mom's recommendation.
Speaker 3: I didn't know if I wanted to do an architect But then somehow this school opened up and it was intrigued me because they it was textile and design and just a very general but major in fashion. And I did very well in school, and then they actually sent me to New York.
Speaker 2: That was the first time you read I there.
Speaker 3: So I went to Europe when I was sixteen, to Florence, to Paris, to the Netherlands. It was just like a teenage group, you know. We were like traveling the group.
Speaker 4: Boy.
Speaker 3: I mean when I went on that airp my mom had to prepare for me a suit because I thought I would not be anything but Jackie Owe, who I've seen in the papers, and I had to have my suit and going up.
Speaker 4: With the steps and so I still walking up. Oh yeah, I knew exactly what I wanted.
Speaker 2: Did you have fashion magazines?
Speaker 3: So that was the only resource I had was fashion magazine that I found at the hairdresser that my mom did her hair. There were no fashion magazines in stores, so she used to get it from her sister from Paris. And that's how I learned about Saint Lauran and all these beautiful closes. Late sixties then this is sixties. Yeah, and so you traveled around. But then you went so how did you Who did.
Speaker 2: You stay with when you went to New York?
Speaker 3: Did you just I stayed in the ninety second y I got my first job.
Speaker 4: For twenty three years.
Speaker 3: I worked in the fashion industry, and then I opened my own.
Speaker 2: You worked for Ralph Florence.
Speaker 3: I worked for Ralph in the nineties late nineties. Then from Ralph I moved to Nautica. Ralph was my best experience, Like if I ever, Ralph was the only design driven company out of all the companies that I worked for. He hes still is, you know, I think so unique in his approach to women and dressing and women a woman and consistency, perseverance and not being strayed by no trends, just consistency, and I think I pretty much followed that.
Speaker 2: You know, Graydon Carter, he was the I was just with him this weekend in France and he was talking a lot about Ralph.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Lf is really.
Speaker 4: Very unique, I think, from a marketing.
Speaker 3: Genius to just being so consistent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and tell me about starting a business, because both of us, I think, have actually started our own businesses. I did it with my partner. I was thirty eight and Rose was ten years older, and we started the River Cafe with nothing and with a very simple idea. But reading about what you did, you also started. Yeah, did you do it on your own with a friend or so?
Speaker 4: I actually worked at Nautika at the time.
Speaker 3: And then one day David Chu, the founder of Nautica, nonchalantly, like, without any preparation, said to me, Hey, if you ever want to start your own business, I'll financially back you up.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, really, but that means.
Speaker 2: That God, I mean, if he went to you to say that, he must have Yeah, you know, let's go here. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So we started it to get.
Speaker 3: And then a couple of weeks later he kind of regretted the idea because he decided that he wants to move to China, and so he left and I continued it on my own, without having the means, without having the financial without having a business plan, with a lot of drive and confidence and a very simple idea.
Speaker 2: What was the idea?
Speaker 3: So by then I was designing for twenty three years, and I realized that at every company, whether it's clothing, food, music, there is always few things that drive the business at the end of the day. If you design a collection, at the end of the day, there'll be five pieces to drive the sales.
Speaker 4: I'm sure it's the same thing in the kitchen.
Speaker 3: So I said, I'm smart enough to figure out those five pieces. Why should I design two hundred. Let me just art with these five pieces, and that's it. They were actually one of those items till today is my best selling item. It's called the Sean pen Yes and everyone owns it in five colors, and it's ridiculous because it was right on Bingo. It all started with my ex husband flight suit. My husband was a pilot in the Israeli Air Force. I looked at the flight suit. I actually any labor with I want her her at the ninety second y and someone asked her, what do you recommend to a young photographer, and she said, look around yourself and find objects that are right near you. She was talking about how she started. She photographed her dad, and so I looked around. I found my husband's zoomsuit, the flight suit, and I dissected it and basically created a pant out of it and a jacket out of it.
Speaker 4: Five items. That's it.
Speaker 3: I did it in a very special technique which I actually make the garments and when it's done, I dip it into color. So from a business perspective, it's a very smart thing to do because one of the problems that you come across in fashion, and it's the same in food the life shave is very short, so in close when you make clothes, you know it doesn't get bad food. But people just want the newest thing, so you can't stay with too much inventory. So by dipping it by demand, I never have leftovers. I basically always cut and sew in deep by demand. That was great till I opened my own shops, because when I was basically answering other people's orders, I could do. But once I had to plan for my own retail stores exchange. But in any event, it was very smart, little, clean, tight concept that financially allowed me to invest very little and to grow.
Speaker 4: The company organically.
Speaker 3: I started from there, and then I started to add things pieces to it and categories to it. By now we have bags, swim where, Men's, Women's Way beyond those five pieces. But I think it's a smart thing to do to start with something.
Speaker 4: That you really feel believe in.
Speaker 3: And the proof is that that piece is still my number one selling pants, so I know, yes, I knew what I was doing.
Speaker 2: I always when chef's leave and I say they're going to start their own restaurant, what advice do I have? And I always for me, I like to start small and grow. That's what we did. Whether it's the you know, the restaurant, whether it's doing parties for the people, whether it's starting a little cafe, it's all been part of a process. I never had, Oh, I have an idea, let's do that. You know, it's always my husband used to say that he's an architect. He used to say, I never had an idea. It's not about an idea. It's about you know, you you know we you know, we make an almond tart in the winter with pairs, but then in the summer were making the strawberries. You know, it kind of it just grows.
Speaker 3: I think design I always tell this to my designers, but also to more of the business side of things.
Speaker 4: Design is a process. Yeah, cooking is a process. A process, you know. I start with something and then it evolves.
Speaker 3: And then people say, but it's it's you know, when when you have people involving your business and they start to start, you get your sketches early on, and they said, but wait, this is what you did, but why are you here? I said, because it's a process. I only know when I start, I don't know where I end. And I think it's it's hard for people who are not creative to understand that the design it's a living thing.
Speaker 4: And or when you're.
Speaker 3: Ready to say okay, I'm done, by the way, you never you never stop because it just I always say that my collection is one collection that I started the two thousand and three and it just keeps growing and evolving. And that's why it's a play on the same theme.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like, how do you take a white shirt and make it better and better and better? How do you take you know, any element that in your wardrobe, a pea coat, and how do you make it better and better and better? And it's so great to know that you can make it actually better.
Speaker 2: Imagine a state bottled olive oil chosen and bottled for the River Cafe, arriving at your door every month. Our subscription is available for six or twelve months, with each oil chosen personally by our head chefs and varying with each delivery. It's a perfect way to bring some River Cafe flavor into your or to show someone you really care for them with the gift. Visit our website shop the Rivercafe dot co dot uk to place your order. Now zucchini that you're having tonight is an antipasity, So I thought that would be something that you might like to listen to. Read.
Speaker 4: Zucchini three four lati twelve small zucchini, trimmed, three tablespoon olive oil, two garlic cloves, one twenty five milligram of boiling water. That's interesting.
Speaker 3: I didn't know a handful of fresh mint or basil leaves roughly chopped.
Speaker 4: I'm going to make this.
Speaker 3: Cut each zucchini at angle into three to four slices. Hit the olive oil in a large frying pan at the garlic, then zucchini, and cook slowly for fifteen minutes. So you put the garlic and then immediately the zucchini, pour in the boiling water and steer scraping up the mixture that will have formed on the bottom of the pan. Who until all the water has been observed and zucchini are soft at the mint of basil and seasoned with sea salt and black pepper. Delicious as an antipacity with prosciutto deparma or mozzarella.
Speaker 4: Wow, by the way, zucchini, I don't know if you're familiar with it. So my mom used to grate zucchini and then she soted it. No, she sotted with dial still yeah. Yeah, and then she would serve it with a little bit of sour cream like I've never seen anything like that anywhere, but it was delicious.
Speaker 2: Did she grate it and then get the water out?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so that is meal, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then she would also state and then throw some eggs over it like she did a lot of zucchini wild recipes that are not in any I.
Speaker 2: Didn't know that he was very Hungarian. I guess I should know.
Speaker 3: That I grew up with Eastern European cookine. Mom is the Hungarian one. I think in your end it.
Speaker 2: Was my father's, your father's family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so I have very much of a zucchini part of the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was it was your It was your grandmother. Do you remember your grandmother?
Speaker 3: You know I didn't because they were Holocaust survivors, So they're the only one that came. My father's Russian, my mom Hungarian, same combination. They immigrated to Israel after the war. They came on the boat. They were dropped in Haifa. They grabbed the first driver that they could grab. They didn't have any money and one little suitcase and landed on my uncle who lived on the dunes on the beach of Nethania, which is a town twenty minutes from Tel Aviv north, and they just landed here we are. They didn't have money, so he had to pay for the driver and then they stayed there and then, you know, little by little, my dad did very well for himself.
Speaker 2: So your mother and father met in Hungary.
Speaker 3: They met in Austria in a refugee camp. So my mom escaped Hungary as the you know, Hungary was the last country for the German to invade, and so the German came from one sign and the Russian from the other, and they were like kind of they the Jews in Hungary were killed literally in weeks, and so they were able to escape to Austria to an unra refugee camp. My dad escaped from Russia. He was studying law in Sorbonne, and when the war studied, he went back home to Russia.
Speaker 4: And studying law at Yeah, and then.
Speaker 3: He went to Russia and then realized that that's not he didn't have parents. His mom passed away when he was five. That passed away right then, So he started to move towards Austria. I knew that he had a brother in Israel, so he was trying to get there. Met my mom two weeks later, got married and moved, so she didn't even know him.
Speaker 4: She knew him for two weeks.
Speaker 2: And yeah, when you think that, you know what she went through and then to get iry foreign country. Have many children, you.
Speaker 3: So me and my sister who's eight years older than me. So she was born nineteen forty one and I was born.
Speaker 4: Eight years later. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, it's been basically the story of the establishment of Israel.
Speaker 4: You know my parents.
Speaker 2: What the age did she leave Hungary?
Speaker 4: She was twenty two, twenty three.
Speaker 2: So she really had that.
Speaker 4: She had a little recipe she brought with her.
Speaker 3: I do, but it's in Hungarian and I can read it, but I do keep it.
Speaker 2: She can translated. I always say that I remember them all with John. Quite a few of them have had books from their mothers when they went to university, from their grandmothers, and I think that having those recipe books is really, you know, part of the history, part of the tradition. Tell me more about the book.
Speaker 3: So I actually used to watch her where she was cooking, so it's all in my head. I can't read her book, but I can imagine what's in it. I'm sure there is more than what I remember, but I remember it was pretty much a routine, like she didn't experiment much. She cooked the classic dishes. And then we had a grandma in our building. She was a Romanian, and she taught her a lot of bakery, you know, like baking goods. So she experimented all these cakes, which one of them might carry. And I think they're actually giving the recipe of that cookie tonight. It's almond crescents cookies that she used to make. I just added some lemon to it and so I twisted it a bit, and then I pretty much I do the stuffed peppers from her recipes, ground meat with rice, cuman or a lot. She used to do a lot of paprika. And she was basically cooking most of the time. My dad was busy from six to eight, but he would come in at twelve to eat the main meal, and I would come back from school at two, So literally from twelve to three she was basically serving food. She very happy, Yeah, she was very happy. I mean she loved being in a country that she felt free.
Speaker 4: She was very disappointed.
Speaker 3: You know, living her home land, you know, in such consequences, and she kept reminding us, you know, what is it to be in your own place?
Speaker 2: Did she have a kosher house? No?
Speaker 3: Most Eastern European Jews that came after the war lost their religious faith because of the Holocaust, and we're not observing. So actually as a child, I've never been to a synagogue. They were completely secular liberal that.
Speaker 2: She brought the food with her.
Speaker 3: She brought the food with her, and food is I teach my daughters. You know, I think there's something about if there's no religious there is food. I think that's something to hand from one generation to the other.
Speaker 2: And I think it has said because when I when we talk to people, it's very many many people who we talk with remember the food of their grandmother. Yes, maybe sometimes more than their mother. And I'm very touched by the idea of this book that your mother had and did she make it for you or did she make it for yourself?
Speaker 3: So she that was herself for herself I made. Now I'm actually in the process of me and my daughter, we're writing the same book. She writes it in English and I write it in Hebrew.
Speaker 4: And none of my kids.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: So it's just all the recipes that I ended up doing because I've collected so many. So, as I said, born with my mom cooking mostly Hungarian. My dad injected his did he cook? He didn't cook. He made a delicious salad.
Speaker 4: That was his thing. And then you have to tell him how delicious it.
Speaker 3: Is because when he was done so and.
Speaker 4: If you didn't tell him, it was the most delicious thing.
Speaker 2: But you know, there is that that's the reason why you doing. Yeah, I totally advertized with your father. I'm sitting we have an open kitchen, and I watch people in their handed a plate, you know, and you could see the response or you can see them look at each other or you see them you know, joying it or giving some or not enjoying it. You know, but the response to through is very very important.
Speaker 3: There's something cooking that it's the language of love, you know. It's a way of extending of giving. And I find myself, you know, over the weekend mostly cooking and baking. So it's my husband. My husband is the best. So David is a musician and he loves cooking very good musician, is very well known actually, and he grew from the age twelve to eighteen in Madrid, so his vocabulary his.
Speaker 4: Mom, I don't think.
Speaker 3: I think she cooked, but he wasn't really much influenced by it. So really the years in Spain is what influenced him. So he does everything on the plantcha everything is very very quick, so he brought that into the world of us. So we basically go into the kitchen together and cook together. But we both, you know, very much influenced by Israel, so that whole spices come from that region, and then we mix it with the Hungarian and the Spanish and the whole thing is amazing. The difference between David and I need to know what I'm cooking, I need to prepare for it, I need to make sure that everything is there. David just goes into the kitchen and whatever he finds, it just throws boom boom boom, and it's delicious and he remembers haste. So like if you would go to a restaurant and I like something, he said, Okay, there is this in it, this and that and this and that, and then he'll try to make it. So he's naturally very talented in cooking.
Speaker 2: With your children, you how did you bring them up? Did you all sit down to dinner as a family or did you all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now the kids are out of the home. You know, our kids are anywhere from twenty nine to forty. And we don't cook during the week eat out. There's two restaurants that we.
Speaker 4: Religiously go to.
Speaker 3: We go to Bar Pity at least three times a week. We basically just crossed everybody's line and just walk in and sit in our chair and table and all they own, because it's just super convenient.
Speaker 4: It's right there.
Speaker 3: We live right next door, so that's it. We don't want to know about any other restaurant. We don't care about any other restaurant. And then on the weekend we cook, so we stop at Citarella. We buy the fish, the meat. David makes the best steak ever as he basically put it on the plancha with a lot of butter butter. Yeah, and then he actually somehow pours the butter on the steak, so it's like if you didn't have enough butter, there comes more butter.
Speaker 2: I empathize. I love butter relicious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I've never had and I didn't eat meat from age eighteen till I met David. From till I met David, which was in my forties, yea, And all we needed to do is one steak which I tasted and that was the end. Now I eat steak almost at least once a week.
Speaker 2: An open kitchen in the River Cafe means we as chefs are able to talk to our guests dining in the restaurant, and now we're bringing that same ethos to our podcast, a question and answer episode with me and our two executive chefs. Send a voice note with your question to Questions at Rivercafe dot co dot uk and you might just be our next great guest. On Ruthie's Table four, what do you feel about the other side of fashion, which is to make a new collection every season, to make an enormous amount of choice. I am exhausted by choice, whether it's an and a supermarket or a and when I go to buy clothes, you know, when you're confronted with an array of options, it's very I also it's unsustainable, isn't it?
Speaker 4: One hundred percent?
Speaker 3: I think that we are in a certain cycle that I think since COVID, I think this industry is trying to break to break through. But it's not happening for some reason. It's not sustainable it. You know, I have a very different It was a poet, a very big poet in Israel, and he kept asking me why.
Speaker 4: I don't understand. Why do you have to do four collection? Why not too? And I said, what will the people do in between? So it's it's you kind of keep their jobs going. That's one of the reasons, because trust me, I would be so thrilled if I could do two collections a year and rest in between, or cooking between, or do other things in between, the architectural project in between. But you have a team of people that what do you do with them?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So I think this is one one obstacle. Uh yeah, I think that's more to me, that's what it is. Otherwise I would certainly stop it because it's far too much clothes. The world doesn't need that much clothes.
Speaker 2: I was interviewed by a woman who we were talking about clothes, who was an article for the newspaper about something. And I said, I can't remember how he got onto fashion, but I said, how often you know? Do you wear the same thing?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: And she said once every three weeks and I'm like I would have said, every day I try that, I just wear you know that. But I guess it's it's that concept that if it's so inexpensive, you can just buy so many things.
Speaker 3: There's a book that I'm constantly looking at it and how I translate it into a fashion concept.
Speaker 4: It's called Sarah's Closet. I don't know if you you came across it.
Speaker 3: It's uh was a Holocaust survivor and she was the grandma of the person who's actually put the book together.
Speaker 4: And she had a very tight closet.
Speaker 3: Everything was white and it was maybe twenty five pieces in her closet.
Speaker 4: That's it done.
Speaker 3: And since all white, there wasn't any room for mistakes. There is another believe this was. Was it Georgia O'Keefe recently I saw her closet too. I am there's something that I want to do about it from a business perspective, because I think, you know, one of the things that I do is I what I offer is what I call ward up foundation, which is really those things that you need. And so I always differentiate between what you need and what you want. The things that you need you probably wear them at least twice a week or three times a week or more.
Speaker 4: It's just things you need.
Speaker 3: This is what makes you feel good, this is what you comfortable in. The Things that you want, you actually don't need. You want them, so that's fine. If you have the money and that gives you pleasure and it makes you feel good about yourself, go ahead, But you don't really need them. So I kind of differentiate my collection between the pieces that you need and the pieces that you want. And to your point, you know, I wish we could just stick to the things that we need. And it is fifty percent of my business. It's just the same things over and over again and since I started, and it's the bread and butter of my business.
Speaker 4: And it never changes and it never goes on sale. It's what it is.
Speaker 2: I was married to an architect. He's an architect. I often think that I look at our house and I realized the other day that we actually have very few closets. I've actually very little space for keeping anything really, So if you buy something, you throw give something away, you know, if you do that. But I think also for women, it's you know, you you designed for men as well. Yeah, this is your thought process.
Speaker 4: It's pretty much the same.
Speaker 3: I actually so when I work for rap I work for men for the men's area. So my thoughts about culture of dressing is actually coming from men where there's not that much access, uh, and it's really coming from functionality rather than access. And also when I think when a man likes most men, when they like something, they'll come back and buy the same thing over and over again. Uh, and they kind of depending on it. And I think women experiment a little more.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: The very first wardrobe foundation that I did is actually came from the concept of men of what are the pieces that you must have and then and offer it in seven colors so you can come back to it. But in terms of materials and language of design, it's pretty much the same for me. Yeah, it's very classic, understated and a spice of rock and rolling.
Speaker 2: It. We love it. During COVID, you started some well I think either Elizabeth or Alison bells and loves I did a podcast. Yeah, and she's a great friend and loves you.
Speaker 4: She said that you.
Speaker 2: I think she told me little bit you did. During COVID you did a food yes.
Speaker 3: So so basically the social media was my outlet to the outside. I was in the house morning till night, working and at eight o'clock I would drop everything, go take a shower, and go to the kitchen, move David away because he usually takes over the kitchen, moved him away, and start cooking. Every night, I asked him to film me, but to film only my hands. I started with my mom's and then all the Hungarians started to write me, Oh, I'm Hungarian too, and my mom.
Speaker 4: Used to do it this way.
Speaker 3: My mom used to do it that way, and I started with that, and then starting to move into exploring other things. And basically I'll put down the recipe and the process of how I made it and posted and gained a whole crowd of women who either not familiar with me and just familiar with my food or what I've been told that a lot of women it wasn't even about the food, that there's something about the way my hands managed the food.
Speaker 4: Made them feel calm and comfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, spare of now talking. You use the word comfortable. And at the end of every podcast, I always ask people a question, which is if f is the food is about we decide about sharing? Food is about love?
Speaker 4: Love?
Speaker 2: Because you know, the people that we love we want to take care of. Food is about hunger and surviving, but it's also it is about comfort. And so I say, well, if you think about your food and your memories and your language and what you like to cook when you need comfort, is there a food that you would go to?
Speaker 3: I go straight to my mom, share your mom, straight to my mom.
Speaker 2: I love with that.
Speaker 3: I think it just be the stuffed pepper, especially when it's it's first of all, it's being cooked for a long time, so the preparation takes a long time, and then the day after it's even the best and it's just the meat and the rice and the tomato sauce and the pepper. All the tastes get mixed together. I think because she did it a lot, so it kind of reminds me of her. It's not so much the food itself, but the taste and the smells reminds me of her. I think most people's comfort food come from their mama or their grandma, and that's so beautiful about That's the beauty about food to me, that it holds so much more than just food and hunger.
Speaker 4: And I think it's the same thing with clothes.
Speaker 3: By the way, I think clothes is such so beautiful by handing, passing on clothes, but people don't tend to do. But I think the act for me of making clothes is the same thing of cooking.
Speaker 4: You know, I give my love with my with my clothes.
Speaker 3: I realized mostly during COVID and then that I'm not even interested in clothes, that the clothes for me is a tool to give, to give comfort, to give sense of confidence, to give a woman, you know, the jewels for her to express herself. It's not about the clothes. Everybody can make clothes, everyone can make food. It's the love that you put in the pocket that what they receive and they respond to it.
Speaker 4: So I think there's something similar.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Ruthie's Table four in partnership with Montclair