Speaker 1: Welcome back to another edition of the Friday Podcast. Today's episode is brought to you by our friends over at b Dratty. It is the middle of summer. I mean it's hot almost everywhere. I was in Philly a couple of weeks ago, it was like ninety eight and humid every day. It was just like being in, you know, a furnace. Anyways, what got me through it was by Bee Dratty Sports. It is a new product. It launched about a year ago and you know, you can go buy this on their website bedratty dot com and it is a it's an awesome shirt. It's the best tech fabric shirt that I've worn where you know, they really worked hard to try and get some of that same feel that you have in the Pima cotton shirts, the Peruvian Pema cotton shirts. You know, it took them a while to launch this shirt because they were trying to find the right blend of fabrics that gave it a different feel than your standard tech shirt. So if you use the code TFE twenty five, you'll get twenty five percent off your purchase at bdraddy dot com. And I highly recommend the sport line. So go to Bdradty dot com. Today's episode is with Hi Mayds, the legendary golf writer and now TV personality, Hi may I mean, I can't. I've been reading Hi Mayds for my entire life, and it was just really awesome to have him on. One of the greatest golf writers in the history of the game, and obviously years at Sports Illustrated, New York Times, Golf Digest. Later now he's at the Golf Channel. He will be on live from all week. Hi may was great. We did our typical five Things episode leading into this Open Championship, so we talk about Royal Saint George's, the opens he's covered there the opens throughout time he's covered, shared some stories, memories that he's had over the years. It was really really fun talking to Hi may If you've missed study of our content, be sure to go to the Frida Egg dot com. We've had a lot of articles. We have daily newsletters to sign up there. But we had to put together a Q and A with Tom Doak on Royal Saint George's. We had Garrett posted a podcast and a article accompanied article about the history of Royal Saint George's, So check that out. At the fridagg dot com And now, without further ado, here is him ds.
Speaker 2: I miss a green.
Speaker 1: For example, I'm already upset when I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset. And when I find my ball in a brid egg Friday egg, the dreaded Frida egg Frida, egg Frida, egg Brian egg Frida, egg Bride egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off of the home course. They just like they turn the camera on and they go like say, it's just like.
Speaker 2: Literally go yeah, producer, go okay, Rich, go and that's it. Not even tell them what the topic is. Necessarily okay, koepka, go Rich, that's it. And he'll and he'll nail it. And and then if he screws up or in his mind screws up, he'll go, let me do it again, and then you know, he'll do something completely different. Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: That leads perfectly into you know what, what's the difference between how you cover a week on TV TV wise versus the days of s I New York Times, You know when the Golden Age really I think of golf writing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was very fortunate, but I was always a grinder and a toiler. So you know, I liked just hanging around and immersing in whatever player I was watching, and waiting around for an hour to ask one question or hoping I could, you know, maybe catch a guy after he finished. And this is what I'm talking about, the writing experience, and then you know, maybe have an idea and have to have a conversation. And you know, not only is television different, but golf writing and journalism in general has has become different in that regard too. I mean there's not as much the players don't have as much free time, they don't have as much inclination to talk to writers, and so these kind of philosophical and deep discussions that you would sometimes be able to have with a player just because maybe they were looking for somebody to talk to after a long practice round, they might be interested. I love talking to the people and writing and even going over my notes and stuff, but then having to put it into a cogent form was always hard. And so writing I think there's more. There's more chip away at the marvel until it starts looking like something kind of process, where TV is more instantaneous. And that's why I admire the people I work with so much how how adroit they are just coming up with with something, yeah, a nice idea, but delivering it so smoothly, seamlessly, so that even if there's not a lot of substance, because maybe there wasn't enough time to really report something in depth, it still sounds really good and it still makes the point. And so I think television is more of a you know, you move on. There's always another chance. You're going to be on for a long time. It's not necessarily the definitive piece, and then you'll get it. You'll get another opportunity to polish perhaps the same subject, or at least use an idea you didn't use because you couldn't think of it in the moment. But I think the main thing is do you have television chops? That's what you know? Are you able to to say things in a way that is pleasing to the ear, makes the point and it's concise, and that that is you know. The thing about writing is you have drafts. I mean, yeah, yeah, you might, you might aim for that final goal. Uh, but you're gonna have a lot of chances as you self edit. With television, it's generally one shot. You can't you really can say to the producer and let's just a complete with hey can I do that again? It just there's too many demands, there's too many people involved, and you have to live with that imperfection, uh, even more than you do in writing.
Speaker 1: It's the thing you said about time with players. It's an interesting one because I think they you know, they still have a lot of time. But you know, it's probably this whole thing that's plagues all society, that technology has made everybody feel like they have less time because they're always connected. And then I imagine with the money, you know, there're a lot more families that are traveling with players more so than ever before, which you know obviously cuts into time. But and then also like the Netflix, like I gotta get back and pinch the show that I'm really into is another thing. But but that's a you know, I never thought about just the sheer time because you know, without a cell phone, once your once your subwhere I lived, I broke my phone on a trip recently and I just realized, like, how wonderful was so I just go just to wander about with nothing to do. But like I've actined, that's you know, players wouldn't they didn't have anything going on. It's like I play in a tournament, I don't have anything going on, and they could just sit and talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was more gathering in the caddy yard because players would hang out in there. A lot of players to eat in the caddy yard just to have the conversations and uh. And the caddy culture has always been the most verbal anyway, because those guys do have a lot of time to hang around waiting for players, at least in the old days. Yeah, now everything is more streamlined Nowity, the priority for a player now is you know, the priorities the media has gone down in priority, and not because the preenie is not important to them. It's just that I think before they were there were you know, kind of business reasons to be engaged with media becase because your sponsors and your endorsers would want you to be in the public eye and and and so you know, talking to media was there was self interested in that and motivation. Now I think they still want good relationship with the media, but there's a lot of other ways for players to to make money and and and certainly you know, to create their own brand. And then there's also with with the Internet and uh and social media. There's distrust of media because a lot of things get out there that they can't control that perhaps cause them problems that they don't need. It's like, uh, you know, if I and and and then with other demands on them like family, like like what the phone does, the practice time becomes more regimented too. So it's like they go to the golf course and they're efficient. They're more efficient about every where they move. They go to the physio, you know, they go to the range. You know, maybe they do an interview, but it's it's all very compartmentalized. There's just and I'm not they were all all wandering aimlessly. I mean the number one players always were very kind of regimented. I mean Jack Nicholas was very organized, and Tiger became very organized. But it's always it was the fun guys were sort of the journeyman pros that you sort of see and you know, and you might even say, how's it going, you know, and half an hour later you you've had a nice conversation, but you've also learned a lot about golf. And I thought that was really instructive for me and very rich experience as a golf writer, just conversations with players.
Speaker 1: You know, I was at Q for the first major, first time I've been out covering an event in a while, and you know, it's the PGL stuff swirling around at that point of the year, and I go, I go up to you know, a guy that I've gotten to know, and he's not an a list player, not really probably a blest flair and I asked him like about the PGL stuff, and he gave me just the most candid aster because I can't wait. I can't wait for there to be an A tour and a B Tour. I can't wait to play on the B Tour. You know, it's like something you'd never expect a pro golferspective.
Speaker 2: From his perspective, it makes sense, but that's the kind of thing. Yeah, you'd never see someone like that get pulled into the media room. And that's that's where a lot of the interviews take place now, because again sort of programmed that the players, this is my media time, and I'll do the car wash, as they say, I'll talk to all the guys you know with the outlets with microphones and I'll do the separate interviews and then I'll do the mass interview in the media room, and you know, once they're done with that, they don't generally stop and talk to writers very much before. It would be a little bit like a free for all. And you can you can even read it in some of the old stories. Uh, you can sort of the set the scene in your head as Jan Jenkins, you know, shares a cigarette with you know, with whoever, Don January or somebody and starts talking about things that you know, give him material that he then would use. Maybe you wouldn't quote Don January, but it was because he had those those times and moments and leisure to kind of develop an idea and have a nice relaxed conversation that he got a lot of the great stuff that he got.
Speaker 1: Do you have a favorite's open Championship Week? Do you have a favorite open? Uh from you know, either back the day or more more recent memory that was your favorite one to cover? Maybe your favorite Sunday game story that you you cranked out or got got done under the wire that like you didn't know where it was going when you started.
Speaker 2: I never Yeah, well that was always the issue. Yeah, yeah, just narrowing down the you know, scattershot ideas and finally and that you know, was kind of a curse actually sports illustrated in a way to it doesn't It didn't seem like any a lot of time at all before now he would write overnight and so you got, I got all night. I'll just pull them all night and I'll think of something good and that could end up being you know, horrible uh cycle of indecision and panic. But no, in general, you know, when when the bell rings, something happens to you. I mean, you can choke, but it can also your your your senses get more attuned. You you start thinking clearly under the gun a little more, and sometimes you wait for the deadline on purpose in a way, and that's that's a terrible procrastination habit. But sometimes I just read a story about this, I don't know where it was Atlantic or something about how procrastinators have a have a method to their madness, because there's a certain level of stress that produces your best thinking and your best performance. But as far as favorite, gosh, you know, it's also individual and random in this. But I remember eighty nine at Troon just being magical, and it was kind of tragic because because Greg Norman should have won that tournament probably, and it was a three way playoff with he and Wayne Grady and Calc. And I always like Calc. He's a great talk and very funny. And he was a young gun at that time. You know, he had won already three years before, but he was in his prime. He probably could have won the Masters in eighty eight when when Lyle hit that great shot out of the bunker that BERTI the last hole to beat him by one. So he was formidable. But it was also the if I'm not mistaken, the first four whole playoffs, you know, late at night, and it was just so, you know, in the gloaming there on a links it was just very and I'd watched a lot of the golf that day during the Sunday and seem Greg and and of course by this time Norman's been nipped at the end, sometimes by his own, you know, his own mistakes, but sometimes by miracles like like Larry miiu's chip and stuff. So he was kind of snake bit there too. He knocked in the bunker on eighteen on on on the last hole, his last play off hole, a bunker. He didn't think you could reach, but it rolled in because he smoked it. But anyway, I'm not giving you a great answer except to say that because it was just kind of I felt like I was really connected to it as it was happening and all the players involved, and because of the access and because of the playoff, it just it created this really nice drama to watch. But you know, the settings are often incredible. Ninety two and when excuse me, nineteen ninety when when Faldo won that was a tour de force at St. Andrews. And Valdo was not an overpowering player, but he was, as you know, just so incredibly precise, and he as he had wanted the Masters without great length. He also sort of really charted and played chess at St Andrews at the old Course, and I think it was nineteen eighteen under and he set a record and it was just wallless golf and being at St andrew magical in its own right. So to see a great tournament there in a great performance was really special.
Speaker 1: With Calc he was like at that point dubbed like the next big thing, right, and then it kind of set up but became, you know, labeled as a disappointment.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it might be overstated in the next big thing, but there he certainly went up in stature tremendously because he hit two really clutch shots. He buried eighteen with a five iron. I remember that shot because I was walking right next to him. And then and then in the playoff he striped it on there too, So there was a sense that this guy's a great closer. But if you talk to Calc he'll say, I'm the worst closer whoever lived. And I believe he has twenty nine second places. I mean, I think he has the biggest ratio of second places the first places of anybody who's ever won ten tournaments in history. That's a hard thing to chart completely because the records aren't perfect in that regard.
Speaker 1: But that's it's like the next these days, right, you know, And when reality, like I think the reality is we should be saying, like, hey, maybe next pill or Ernie. And that would be a really lofty claim, right you know.
Speaker 2: I guess when once someone set the standard, you know, that becomes what everybody's is going to measure by and aspire to. And the funny thing is, when you know, I remember a lot of stories in the nineties about how, oh, there's so much parody, they'll never be another dominant player, and it made perfect sense. I mean, there was one run I think in the eighties where nineteen different guys won a major, so there was very little kind of you know, especially in the majors domination. I mean, we've had Nicholas of course and his his era kind of in the eighties, but Watson was was really a prominent early eighties, and then it started to look like, gosh, maybe though that that time where there's an incredibly uh you know, dominant number one is over. It's just there's too much depth, there's too many young players that are coming up, powers become more important, the same arguments you hear now. But then Tiger shows up in the mid nineties and nobody's ever been more dominant. So I'm not I'm gonna say I learned my lesson on that, But I.
Speaker 1: Mean history tends to repeat itself, too, right, it.
Speaker 2: Could repeat I mean, you know, there could be another Tiger in our midst It was six years old right now.
Speaker 1: You know, with it be a Royal Saint George's. You covered Royal State George's opens in the past. Any any favorite beatories are ones that stand out from opens at Royal Saint George's on the ground.
Speaker 2: Well, two thousand and four was very tough loss for Thomas Bjorn, but it was also a tough loss, as you know, he left it in the bunker twice on sixteen with a with a two stroke lead, and then bogie seventeen and lost, and Ben Curtis had played ahead and made a he made a ten footer for a par on eighteen that turned out to be the winning put. But but VJ was right there, and Tiger was right there, and even Phil was was lurking, and Phil at that time was not contending in many Open championships. So that was, you know, a good one.
Speaker 1: It seemed like with Phil. With Phil, twenty eleven seemed like a real turning point in his open career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he talked about it even then, he's going, I think I made a breakthrough. But ninety two I think was probably my favorite at Saint George's just because it was it was a real virtuoso performance by by Greg and it was you know, you love to see him capitalize. I did, anyway, capitalize on some really great golf that he had not capitalized in the past, and he had he'd gone through a big rebuild of his golf swing with with with Charmon for about a year and a half, and that was the validation that it was that it worked. And you know, we've we used to hear about rebuilds all the time with Faldo and and even you know, Hank Haney with Omira, and then you know when Tiger started. When Tiger did it, it was like he was following that model. You know that, Hey, it worked for Butch, with with fou with Norman, and led better with Faldo and Hani with o'meira. This is what guys do when they get better. So I want to I want to do it too, uh. And he's always been, you know, he always loved the idea of constant improvement. But I think it's debatable whether Tiger really had the kind of success with his rebuild that the others had had. And there's many who argue that his best golf swing was the one he brought out on tour, or at least the one maybe he refined one time with Butch by two thousand and who knows what happens to a golfer. The body changes, the fields change, habits get ingrained, and suddenly the swings doesn't look quite as effortless. So maybe Tiger fought that off with his swing changes. But I don't think anybody considers the swings that he had later in his career to be better than the ones he had early in his career.
Speaker 1: But you know, the the rap on Royal St. George's is these not big winners. And then you look down the list and you see Greg Norman and Sandy Lyle and it's like, you know, those you know, they might not have won the most majors, they might be you know, I think those two guys, when you look back on history, are two of the guys that maybe didn't win nearly as much as they should have or their talent dictated they would win. You know, with Sandy Lyle, he was obviously like an overwhelmingly powerful player. You know, there were tails of his one iron going past most guys drivers. And then Greg Norman obviously gave more majors away than he won. But you know, you look down the list and then you got Bobby Locke and Walter Hagen and Harry Harden. It's like, you know, Ben Curtis, Darren Clark, and Bill Rogers. Bill Rogers at the time was like, it seems like it just doesn't really that's not a good argument against Royal State George's.
Speaker 2: It's a good rebuttal. You make a good rebuttal, and you're right, certainly, it's just been too long since the Barden and Hagen each won twice St George's, So that's validation, you think. And Henry Cotton was a special player. Then you look at you know, Reg Whitcombe, Well nobody remembers him, but that supposed it was the worst weather ever in a major. Bobby Locke was perhaps the most underrated player of that first half century, if not even the whole century. I think one thing that causes that narrative to arise is Bill Rogers. Sandy Lyle completely lost it, which mysteriously, I mean, Bill Rogers was done by nineteen eighty three, after being really number one in the world. They didn't have the world ranking. Event.
Speaker 1: Well, he won Player of the Year that year.
Speaker 2: He won Player of the Year and he won seven times. You know, he was really a special talent. And it was coming at a time of course Watson was in his prime. But it was like, well there's going to be a change of the guard here and it looks like Bill Rodgers is going to be part of it and didn't happen. And then Lyle really had immense talent. I mean, he won the two Majors, he won the Masters. I remember Seve being asked, you know, because there was the big sin, you know, you got if all of you played your best, and this would be Lyle and Faldo and Sevy long Ball and Woozy uh and Longer, who would who would be the best? He goes, oh, Sandy, you know, Sandy would be the best, because it was just a given. As we were alluding to his one iron there. I did see that at the Ryder Cup in eighty seven and he was hitting one iron past Andy Bean's driver, you know, and Andy Bean was not short. It was it was really a special, you know, display of real kind of an edge of talent that he had over others, you know, Ben Curtis, Okay, he was not a great player, but that was a great victory and he did win. Otherwise, I guess what I'm saying is at the time these guys won, and even Greg, they were not really or very shortly after they were sort of out of the limelight. So they didn't have that enduring kind of name that that made you think of him when you look back at Saint George's, Oh that guy was great, it was it was more that guy had a moment in time. Now Gregor, of course had more than a moment in time. But even Greg after he won in ninety three, it was like, Okay, now he's going to click in. This is going to be the second period of his greatness. It's going to be even better. And the next the next major was the PGA at at Inwardness, and sure enough he lifts one out on eighteen. That was pretty far in the hole. It's going to playoff with Asinger, and then he lifts out again on the playoff hole. I think it was a three hole playoff or maybe a sudden death. Anyway, he ends up three putting and losing, and again it was like, oh Greg has snake bit again. And sure enough did not win another major. Now he did have that Great Players Championship where he was twenty four under, but he didn't fulfill that vision of what Greg Norman was supposed to be. So that's, you know, in a very very vague way, it does reflect a little on a Saint George's victory of the way it's remembered, because Greg is not remembered as the great player that he probably should be remembered as.
Speaker 1: Let's get into the five things. You know, we each come up with five things. You're you're the guy, I'm the host, I make the rules. You're you're up first.
Speaker 2: All right, Well there, you know, I just started thinking more in terms of players. But I'll start with one that just like conceptual a little bit, you know, will we see links shots real link shots this week? And and I only say that because as much as I love the links courses in the Championships, there seems to be two things that are happening. You don't You don't see him bone dry very often anymore. Maybe that maybe just be a function of weather. I mean, we did see that hoy Lake when Tiger won. That was and that was cool, and that was really very linksy. The way they had to play approach shots. And secondly, the style of play. I think it's kind of been with modern equipment just as effective to just hit pure blooded regular shots, uh and just play for a little bounce on a links instead of trying to carve all these artistic Trevino, Peter Thompson, you know, uh, you know wind shots, well not I don't see I don't see it very all. You expect to see it at the at the Open, and I haven't seen it at the Open very often, So I just wonder, what do you think.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's the same thing with Renaissance Club like last week. You know, I expected to see the ball on the ground more, but you don't see it. Like I think Carnousti a couple of years ago that was really lynxy. Remember when those fairways were just browned out and that that was Yeah, that was a really I mean, that was maybe one of my favorite opens that I've ever seen. You know, it goes down with the truon one with with Stenson and Phil but the you know this week with the rain early, it really makes me wonder about like how firms are going to get I see it's supposed to be sunny and windy, but you might be right, And I think I think that low spin ball is just you know, the way the wind impacts it. It's just not the same as as what it used to be. Like I I distinctly remember just growing up and playing like, you know, all of a sudden like wind just wasn't as big of a deal, you know, as the equipment kept getting better, and I think that had you know, I've heard you on Live from this week talk about like there might not be true Links players anymore. I think there might be some players that skews better for like I think we saw a Kiwa with with Phil. Phil played different shots.
Speaker 2: And yeah, you could see that.
Speaker 1: His experience really shown to shine through. But yeah, I unless it's you get the Carnoustie lead up, I don't know if we'll see those types of shots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Rom and Steith have got good scoring records, and Ram's got great hands. He doesn't really play links full shots, but he's pretty good around the green fashioning things. And of course Jordan's got great imagination skill. So I think around the short around the greens, there's still Lynxy kind of shots we'll see. But it used to be a lot of fun to go to the Open. And I remember walking in with Travino at ninety two. He said that was gonna be his last Open, and it wasn't. He played in two thousand as well, but you know, and he was kind of he was out of it, but he was putting on a little bit of a clinic. Well he was talking to herm and he goes, now, why this shot, I'm gonna do this with that, you know, and it was just that's I don't know. That to me has always been the most fun is to is to see somebody with just incredible skill do things that you marvel at just aesthetically and and so that's I'm not saying it's gone, but and for young people they don't know anything different, it's it's okay, but if you saw that, you kind of miss it.
Speaker 1: I think the most fun shots are the non stock shots, right like your non like the non driving range shot that you'd see a guy hit at driving range. And I think you know you saw some of them, like you know it's that low eight iron runner from fifty yards instead of the lot just this straight to the lobleage, you know, Yeah, parlaying off yours. One of my five is uh is the searching the group that's kind of searching for for Link's success. We haven't you know, big day players, Bryson JT. You know, obviously, players that we expect that are going to win more than one major, that you know, for Bryce's two three miss cuts, j T h two or four miss cuts. His best finish was actually the most recent one, T eleven at UH at an Open. To me, JT seems much more like a player that might thrive on the links. You know, with all the different shots that he's he's capable hitting, particularly around the green. I think he's one of the most fun players to watch hit shots around the green. But I think, uh, you know, in Colin Morcaua, we've never even seen him play on the link a links of course, like that's he's top five player in the world, he hasn't played a played an Open championship. It's so rarity these days, so that that'd be one of my five one of my things. Do you think one of those guys is going to break out?
Speaker 2: Well? You know, I think of when I think of of Colin Marcou, I think of Molinari when he was playing well, very similar, just great control, you know, moderately long. Uh, Francesco had gotten a little longer that that helped him. Instead of hitting five arms, maybe he's hitting seven or eight irons occasionally and that made a difference to his scoring. Colin is just so impressive Tita Green. It's not overpowering, but it's again it's Faldol like kind of precise, and the putter hurts him. I think the putter generally hurts less at the Open Championship. The Greens usually aren't quite as fast. They may have undulation, but it's more kind of manageable. You're not always you know, making six foot comebackers. So you know, I like him. I like his attitude. I like his approach. Again, you know when somebody is not like at a young age, when they're not like a really you know, genius putter and and they're buying to be the best player in the world, I do I kind of worry that, well, he's just not going to ever make enough putts, and so that to me is the question. I know, he's gone to the claw, and you know, some people say it's the cautionary tale. I think, no, the Claus helped a lot of players, and you can be a great play with the claws, so not counting them out. But it just seems like that's almost innate. The great putters are almost innate. Rom happens to be a pretty darn good putter. I mean, you know, obviously we saw that a tory the way he finished. But I think that's what separates him among the power players, and it's for j T. I mean, JT is also not a great putter. He's okay, but statistically not good. He's in the hundreds stroke skined putting, So you know, another great ball striker. I do. Sometimes he goes after it so hard, which you know, all the all the great little guys did. But being up on his toes like that, I know he launches and uses you know, all that force and the ground the ground forces and all that. I don't know that it's the most reliable way to really be a consistently straight driver. And that's nitpicking. I mean, I agree with all you're saying about all the shots he's got, especially with the irons and the wedges. Temperaments an issue probably on the links. If you don't have patients, it's gonna probably get you. So maybe it's churity with him too. And you know he's gone through a tough year here. I'm sure he's gonna come out of it, you know, even more mature, just out of adversity. So I just think it's early on those guys. I think searching is a good word. Who's going to emerge, But you know, if you're gonna win majors, the putter just has to be it has to be special.
Speaker 1: I think, well, I mean, look at look at the guys that come close a lot but not won a lot. And it's like you've got you know, Sergio Garcia, Adam Scott, We've got decades of information of this. At example, you've got Lee Westwood. To a lesser extent, Louis hu says, and I know he's at the top of the tour and putting this year, but this when the chips kind of come down, you know, on Sunday, I Louis doesn't always make the make the putts that other guys make that end up winning, you know. And I think I think that's like the thing is like we the putt. You know, everybody beats to death putt for show or putt for dough. Drive for show is dead. But once you get to the very top levels, yeah, you're still putting for the dough. And we saw it like rom the putter one of the tournament of the last two holes. Now people with data will come back and say so and so on, But like that's what makes those little incremental differences in majors.
Speaker 2: He said it beautifully. I couldn't agree with you more. I do think that the farther you go in the game, if you want to win, the putter is the most important club. It will not keep you on tour alone. You know, there's a lot more good ball strikers who are keeping their card who can't putt, then there are great putters who can't hit it. It's just the demand on ball striking is very high on the tour. You know, you got to have club hits speed. Most most of the journeymen don't have quite as much, so they'd have to be more precise, and if their crooked at all, they get run off the tour. But you know, then again to really to win, and you see these stats every week, you know, you know inside of inside ten feet, I mean usually there's generally about sixty six putts or something sixty two putts a week, and there have been weeks a guy has not missed at all from inside ten feet. It's it's incredible how they hold out when they're winning. I mean, Jak Post and those kind of guys, they have these putting weeks that are incredible and that's what that's what gets them over the line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's what's your next next thing?
Speaker 2: Well, let's see I have you know, has Bryson reached a limit of diminishing returns with his approach to the point that you know, he's you know, maybe can just live with where he's driving it and start rounding out his game in other ways. I think that's what's gonna I know he wants to be the best in the world. I know he's got a great formula and and it was validated at wing Foot. You know, just hit as far as you can and so many other good things will follow. But I think when you have to hit those other shots after driving it well and you're showing a real lack of of you know, tour caliber ability with Wedge in particular, I just sort of feel like, Okay, it's time. It's time to change your your focus on what you want to improve most now. The incremental change distance increases will not make a bigger difference than a dramatic increase right now in your wedges, is how I see it. So I want to And he even said this week got to hit fairways because I don't think bomb and gage is going to work this week. It's too much rough, especially ten or fifteen yards off the fairway where he sometimes you know, can play from with a wedge or sandwich. So I guess my question is, you know, what are we going to see from Bryson in terms of the development of his game.
Speaker 1: Also with Bryson, like when there's more, more and more external factors, I think it hurts his approach where you know, like he likes to have the answers to everything. But when the wind's gusting or the current course is really firm or it's quirky, which is one of the things here where you're going to see a lot of random bounces. That's that's where things start to go haywire. When a ball lands in the you know, fifteen yards inside the fairway line and kicks out into the rough, that's something that is going to agitate him because that's not the way it should have happened. You know, that's you know, in a simulation that doesn't that's not what's supposed to happen. And I think that's another thing with that's a huge hurdle for him in the open is just dealing with all of the other things that can happen out there.
Speaker 2: That's well said, and I agree. I mean, at some point, golf is just hitting the next shot. You do what you can with the You can't control everything, and you have to live with imperfection and you move on. And I sort of think of Bryson right now. He's like he's getting his PhD. You know, he's grinding in this little, you know, student apartment somewhere and you know, not get enough sleep, and he's just obsessing and he's lost in deep tis and at some point he's going to get his degree and he's just going to go out in the workforce and clean up. And I just wanted to get to that point where he just feels like, Okay, I've studied everything. Doesn't mean you have to be mindless about it. He'll always be analytical, but go make your priority. Go play golf. Because he was a great player. I mean he won the US Amateur because he can play golf, you know, I mean he knows how to score, and just don't lose that gift. I think he's just very obsessive about this because he feels like this is a new frontier and I'm the pioneer. And I want to go as deep as I can go, but I think at some point he'llp he reflects and goes it's getting counterproductive. Now I'm not against it. I think what he's done is change the game and move the bar forward as far as what other players are going to be doing. But he could overdo it. As a pioneer, I'd like to see him just start thinking in terms of what is going to get me the lowest score and not what's going to change the game for others.
Speaker 1: I'm going to combine to in the effort of time. Here I be No, it's all right, that's good. All that discussion, so it's good. I'm going to put together Royal State, George's and the wide array of players, the almost democratic nature of Open championships, where you know, you really feel like almost anybody in the field can win. And I think, you know, this week we've got a golf course that players hate, which immediately kind of like perks my interest. It's it's just something like if somebody if the people that like right out in front of you, you know, what you see is what you get. Don't like it? Typically that that that says there's some sort of quality that makes this course different than every other course, which you know, if you look at golf architecture as an art, you want things that evoke different reactions and this is a golf course that has evoked a lot of reactions from players over the over time. I think like the bounces is really what gets people. You know, the the undulating fairways, I think you know from I haven't I haven't been to the course, but everything I've been watching, looking at the photos, it's an an incredible property. You know, you've got You've got such variety in terms of you've got the big dunes that you'd see at a port Rush, You've got the really micro movement of the great links of in Scotland like the old course, where you just get this random bounces and I think, you know, one of the things that this does is that it really opens up the field that it. You know, obviously the firm conditions, the elements add to this, but you know, it's really more about who's got the biggest, most varied skill set. I feel like when we get in these opens at these golf courses and not as much about hey, you just need you need to have power in order to have a chance this week and we see this with you know, Tom Watson competing, you know, almost winning at age sixty. We you know Molinari, Francisco Molinari winning, but also in the Hunt that year it was Kevin Kissner, a guy that talks about you know, I only play in those terms because they have a lot of money. I have no chance of winning at some of these places. So I think that's something I think about a lot every time the Open comes around, is how much different would the world rankings look if there was a eight eight week links swing through this time of year, Like, would we see a significantly different top twenty five in the world.
Speaker 2: I think in the old links with old equipment. Yeah, I say the old links, they're all old, but I mean with old equipment on the bone dry setups that we used to see a lot more of, not saying they're watering them, just whatever. For whatever reason, we don't see them that often. I think there would be quite a change. You know, I agree with you in terms of the well routed in this who's got the best skill set that always helps on major setups, and maybe more at the Open than anywhere else. I'm not sure. I do think power. It's seductive even at the Open now because especially when there's there's a lot of space, even though there might be a lot of high grass, players feel like they can take on high grass a little more readily than they used to be able to. I think with Bryson as the example. So I also think, because we talked earlier about you know, maybe there's not a link style anymore, it kind of comes down to who's playing well. As simplistic as that sounds, and I mean, all these guys have a lot of skills, and I mean we saw Luke Glover last week. You know, he put it together from I would say, not out of nowhere. He's been. He's been building towards this, but you wouldn't necessarily have thought of him as a winner obviously going into the week. So I just think there's more surprises now in pro golf because there is more of a uniform game and they're all capable when they're hot of having great ball striking weeks and great putting weeks and every week. Maybe and maybe you know, a great statistician could with this together. I'm gonna guess maybe ten guys are ten ten percent of the field is playing an a game, and even though they may not be in the top one hundred in the world, that's a dangerous player. And I think that's why everything feels more open now. Saint George's in particular may feel open because to your point, I think it is great architecture. It doesn't seem like it favors anybody. You know, there's not a pattern to the holes necessarily, there's not you know, just this kind of shape that that or you know, high ball, low ball whatever. It just seems like it's it's a fair test. Yeah, there's a little bit of capriciousness with the bun with the bounces.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And that's part of the game too, is dealing with you know, rubble the green. So I think temperaments big and who wins these things at the open and that tends to beat toward a mature player. But so I look at I look at Shockley right now is a kind of do and he's young, but he's mature, and he has that skill set you were talking about, and he's had, you know, finished second a Carnoustie. He's a guy. I just feel like, I don't know, saying George's could be a good place for him because he can handle what it offers.
Speaker 1: The attitude is so good too. I think, just like you know, in the recent years of watching him in interviews, is just how he handles things like remember the baby crying? Was that is that Carnousti where you know, like so many players would have had such a negative outward reaction, his he kind of laughed it off. And and just like you don't hear him making excuses like you hear a lot of golfers who you know, naturally always it's never them kind of mentality. And I think that's that's something that suits him so well in these major championships, is that like he doesn't you know, he doesn't get hung up on maybe this was I got a bad bounce and this is why this happened. It's here, and then he moves on to the next shot.
Speaker 2: He's very intelligent, and he's also you know, he's got a great I think, like you said, philosophy of letting go of things you can't control. I think right now his mind is on what does it take mentally for me to see these things through at the end, because that is a challenge that has gotten into his head a little bit. He's given a couple away and he's trying to deal with that and and talk about it, which is you know, rare. I think that's that one area of can you close That's a tough thing for players to talk about. That's when they always say, you know, I just want to get there with a chance on Sunday because even the best of them know that there's just no way you can consistently, you know, get it done. There's there's too many variables, There's there's nerves. Some days you feel relaxed, some days you feel confident, some days you don't. I think Tiger skewed that perception because he was just so incredible on Sundays to this to this day. I think that's his greatest record, just his percentage of closing out fifty four whole leads. That made him special.
Speaker 1: What else you got?
Speaker 2: Oh man? Uh? You know Rory is always so intriguing.
Speaker 1: He's on mine too, So this is well within I.
Speaker 2: Guess, but you know, I give me your ideas too. But I think I wonder is his is his new ceiling? You know, this thirty year old, thirty year old, decade ahead. Is that ceiling lower than his old ceiling? Because I think there's a presumption that you know, hey, you know, you get better as you get more experienced, and h thirty is still the prime time. And I just wonder as a prodigy and as somebody who won four majors early and who is under so much scrutiny and who doesn't seem to have the same dynamic qualities in his game as he used to have him not saying he's short or anything like that, but it just, uh, you know, he would he would get on a on a run of not run, but just a full flight kind of moment where you know, he's one of these majors by eight strokes. Some of that was you know, hot putting, but in general he just was hitting shots all the guys didn't hit. So it's as good as good as it used to be. And will it keep getting good? Or have we seen the best of Rory?
Speaker 1: I guess yeah. The ties right into what I had written out. We did a deep dive on a lot of those the famous five or six whatever it is from the europe And I've remember stumbling across the quote from Manuel bia Seros who said Sevy played his best golf at age sixteen on the Beach and I never will forget that because it's so true. And you see it with junior golf, like you know, you see kids that are gang but go gangbusters in junior golf, and then they get to college golf and they're good, but they aren't great or the great college golfer that doesn't make it as a pro. And sometimes guys just play their best golf at different ages, right, you know, and that's just when they're at their best. And we might look back on Rory and say, you know, he was the best player he ever was when he was twenty four, you know, as and it's not nothing wrong with that, but like, you know, we're if he doesn't win this week or eight years without a major, and you know, the US Open was really the first close call in a while. Like there are a lot of high finishes, but they're kind of not they're high finishes without like substantive contention. And I think that's that's the thing that you know, he's such a great player, and he's you know, he's he's so likable because I feel like he's so relatable for everybody, you know, talking about the chicken sandwiches. It's just like you know, he just got like like I feel like almost everybody feels like, you know what, I would be friends with Rory, you know like that. I think that he's got that kind of quality and it's hard to like. But you know, he might not be his best golf might be years behind him. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, you make you know when you mentioned I had not heard that quote from Manuel bias Terilson. A very similar one that I've thrown around in the past was from Crench, who said I played my best, I was my I was the best I ever was when I was eighteen, and he goes, I didn't think, I just did, you know. And as soon as he started, and in those days there was a lot of fiddling. And when he got and Ben very much like Rory, very engaging. Uh. People loved him. The other players loved him. A lot of guys offered him advice. He tried a lot of different things. He got away from some of the Harvey Poenix stuff. Again not not carelessly, but just because you know, he has an active mind. He loves the game, and he was trying and he got he got confused, but you know, he came out of it. But he was really an amazing young player, and then when he got thyroid issues and lost some weight, he lost some of his powers. So that was that was a factor there. That's one reason also that that ninety five matters was a miracle, because you know, he was not the same kind of player anymore. But you know, golf is mysterious as and and you know there's nothing that says you you you hit some kind of level and then you keep it for a while. I mean, that could be very fleeting and Seve's Sevi's prime in a way was short. I mean, it was profound, and it seemed like he was out there forever, but it was just because he was so compelling. And you know, Rory's Scott. He just won this year. So I mean, I always feel unfair, like I'm being unfair of Rory writing these, you know, or talking these kind of golf obituaries because I don't believe that he's I just but I do wonder if he's if his arc, whereas Tigers continued to go upward, has flattened or has started to descend. And again, this is a human individual thing. We don't know all the reasons. You think that with all the knowledge out there, you could extend your prime now, either with technique or with training, or with attitude, psychological breakthroughs, who knows, or maybe it's just, hey, this is who you are and this is how it goes. And I know he's trying. I know he's a father, and maybe he doesn't have quite the same you know, total immersion and commitment to the game as he did, but gosh, I will doubt there's anything he loves more than to play well. So I think you make some great points about, you know, these patterns that maybe are unavoidable, that you sort of feel like with the greatest guys, they kind of will it to happen somehow, you know, Jack kind of somehow willed nineteen eighty to happen after looking like he was done in seventy nine. And how many things that Tiger will, you know, and and but you don't think of Rory as having that kind of just you know, monomoniacal will to the same extent. And maybe that's the difference. Maybe you've got to when you've been playing a long time and you've had a lot of success, you've got to just have an like a Michael Jordan, you know, you got to have a fire that just never goes out, and that's abnormal.
Speaker 1: I think. So the Harrington quote that's one of my favorite quotes, like that happened to about the experien Experience isn't at all to be like and you know, you just lose innocence. I think it was experience. When you gain experience, you lose innocence. I think that's like prime Brory, right, he almost had this like he took on shots and he was you know, by Buddy one time called him a swashbuckling talent like he was just like he had no fear. And for some players, like they as they age, they get they learn how to play more and they they they don't make as many stupid mistakes. The game cleans up, and for him, he might have just lost that youthful just like you know style.
Speaker 2: I always think with Tiger, Tiger could have been a swashbuckler, but he always played percentage golf. He always played careful golf, and he was always fearful of the mistake and he played around all that and that's how he you know, was so consistent and he never he never, very rarely just went all out and just you know, just say I'm gonna shoot at the pin every He was always shaping shots, He's always playing percentages. That was his personality. But I also think he was comfortable being fearful, you know. In other words, I'm not saying he was scared to play, but he feared the mistake. Rory wants to play this, as he says, fearless golf. I don't even know if that exists, you know, unless you're eighteen, you know, unless you're I mean, the more you play golf, the more you realize, you know, as even the guys who are the greatest in the world, the more things they know can go wrong if you're not careful. And Rory just doesn't seem to have that mentality of I don't want to play careful, you know. To him, I think when he plays careful, he feels inhibited and like he's not himself. He needs, he needs that feeling of freedom, which I just don't think is that common for tour players who know that, you know, one bad hole or or a couple of stupid bogies can cost you a tournament. Because that's generally what happens to Rory is he makes inevitably some kind of silly I say silly, but they seem like, you know, uh, soft mistakes, soft bogies.
Speaker 1: And like the three put on twelve at or eleven at at toy like this.
Speaker 2: So that might have been nerves because you know, suddenly he was thrust into it and I remember he really jerked that six footter. Of course, the first part was only twenty five feet, so he hit that. So I mean there was something going on there that maybe he just you know, suddenly was uncomfortable with the situation because he hadn't been there in a while. But you know, going all day about this, but I do feel that Rory is looking for an ideal state of mind that is very hard to capture for a person, you know, who's not a teenager anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I uh, I think so parlaying off that I got I got Brooks as one of mine. So he went, he went four for nine in majors and if he doesn't win this one, he's zero for nine, which we saw one of the best runs. And now like he's always in the mix, and you know, you just start to wonder, like this thing like when you are invincible, like Tiger was invincible, he never lost, he was always whenever he was in it, he'd win, right, and then all of a sudden, you know, y Yang beats him and he doesn't win very much anymore. And I think, like with Brooks, you start to wonder when like these close calls starts to turn into scar tissue and you know, is he working through stuff? Because like that that Masters, the Tiger won, Brooks really had some good looks to win that, and he had what he went in the water on twelve. Yeah, he miss missmakable putts on seventeen and eighteen, and that could he could have been a real instead of a storybook finish, like a you know, a sad Tom Austin like finish where Tiger didn't win because you know Brooks Brooks, Yeah, you know these close calls Like are you worried at all with Brooks?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, you know, I think Brooks well physically, you know, you worry that he's got a bit of a kinetic chain going with these injuries, you know, whether it's a knee or the hip. You know that for that especially his style of play, which is a very you know, very muscular, forceful golf swing. It's not it's not one that's built on you know, timing and and kind of this fluid kind of swish through the ball. I mean, he's really bringing the big muscles into play. You know, he's got to be fit, I think, to perform at his best, more so than maybe somebody who doesn't use their body quite as quite as forcefully. But I also, you know, I think about that was an incredible run. When he won. You said four out of nine or four out of eight majors.
Speaker 1: I mean, well he didn't play in one. It was nine majors, but eight attempts.
Speaker 2: Eight attempts four. I mean that's you know, that's Tiger like almost from two thousand. So that that gave him an aura and he was on an amazing run. I think his confidence was, you know, unrealistic. He might have felt like, this is this is this is always gonna happen, you know, because I am this guy, and I think golf just kind of imposed itself on the difficulty of it and and the inability to just stay in that kind of zone for a long long time. Obviously the zone we talk about somebody that only last two or three holes. His zone was lasting, you know, eight tournaments. And so once it goes then you start realizing, oh oh, this is not this is not a given that I'm always going to feel this in command, because you know Kiowa at the Masters Kia in particular, there were some nervous misses there, you know, short Putts. Now, I know he hasn't been you know, in it as much anyone in Phoenix. And I'm not saying Brooks can't hal pressure. I'm just saying he's fallible and and that realization I'm sure has occurred to him that this doesn't quite feel the same as it used to, and it's not it's not as easy. So that's why I'm not worried about him.
Speaker 1: I just don't.
Speaker 2: I don't look at him with all time great kind of talent or all time great kind of love for the game either. Yeah, I mean he talks about he talks about the game like it just you know, I don't like it this much. At tour events whatever.
Speaker 1: He took a nap at the three outfit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, I don't think he's really built for longevity. I don't think it's an accident that he was mentioned pretty prominently as a Premier Golf League guy or Super Super Golf League guy. Uh So I think that argues against his being you know this, you know, stalwart for the next ten years. I think he's had his his prime moment and maybe he recaptures it, maybe he doesn't, but it'll go down as kind of like a Ralph gouldal kind of thing. It's like, you know, this super nova flew across the sky and and and that was the best we saw of him.
Speaker 1: The guy, the guy that started the Open Doctor era. Ralph started all the modernization of the great classic courses.
Speaker 2: So and so tell me how that happened.
Speaker 1: Oakland Hills, that's where he broke the broke the scoring record of the US Open.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's that was the motivation for members saying we're not having this anymore. And they brought Robert Trent Jones.
Speaker 1: Robert Trent Jones and the USJA was and then fifty one and basically on from there, all the courses got redone.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a great one. I know I would learn a lot from you today, and I have thank you.
Speaker 1: What what what else you got on the list? I'm out because I you.
Speaker 2: Know, I'm out too. Really, Okay, we'll talk about rom just very quickly. On Rock. I mean I think Rom's got so many great tools, but I want to see if his attitudes were real, you know, and I'm not you know, I know it's a little simplistic and it really annoys him to keep hearing oh, you're a hothead, and he probably buried a lot of that criticism at Tory. I will say I used to be in his corner big time, and I've always been. I mean, I heard today and I'm just gonna be like, not even a humble brag, but that I don't Justin Leonard was talking about Thurick saying, you know, in ten years, of all these young players, Rom will have the most majors. And I was asked, you know, a year ago, who's the best of And I said, I think in ten years I'd like to have I would take John Rahm's record over everybody else's. Now that may pan out or may not, but there's real quality there, is what I'm saying. When when Justin Leonard, who's you know, who knows good golf and good players, says that, or excuse me, when Jim Purick says that, you know, you feel like you're in good company.
Speaker 1: I think when I talked about the opposite player of Rory, like where you know, the more you play, the better you get. The more experience you get, the better you get. I think that a lot like embodies John Rahm, like he's so overwhelmingly talented and it's just all the in the moment experience is just in being there more and more and not having those over like the more you're there, the less you react, right, hopefully, hopefully, And I think that's the guy that like embodies that kind of like he's just going to keep getting better. I remember when he came out after he had that great start, I put up a poll on Twitter, would you would you take career earnings from this point forward of John ram or Jordan's Speith And everybody's like, you're crazy speed, like and I W yeah. I mean I think rom Is is just I've you know, he's just so talented, Like every aspect of the game he's so great at. Like that's the thing. There's no and you saw it right from the start, right when he got on tour. There's no discernible weaknesses in his game, and that that leads to great consistency, just like you know Tiger and I don't want to put him in the tiger bucket, I'd rather compare. I think he's more like Ernie El's, like, you know where he's good at everything, and Ernie obviously is putting faded later in his career. Yeah, he was just and because of that, he was just a top ten, top five machine. And I think that's what we're gonna see from John Ram is just you know, remarkable consistency in that same bucket. More cow is in that same bucket with the with just how good he is at striking the golf ball. But Rom has that putter and when we saw that toy, like when made those putts down the stretch that were unthinkable to make those back to back, Well, if.
Speaker 2: You're gonna make history, you've got to win majors, and to make majors. To win majors, you've got to put on Sundays.
Speaker 1: Back to back major is a big deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah. There, I think what I think there was eight guys. I was looking back to back US Open Open Championship. By the way, I'm a British Open guy and I know you can't say that, but but I was gonna say about Rom too that you know, to me, he can win majors if he keeps his if he keeps his head, and you make a good point that he's learned. He was stubborn about it before. He would say, you know, I played better this way. I burn hot and it makes me, you know, more determined, et cetera. It's not true. It may be true that, yeah, you can burn hot, but if you show it and and you lose your your your calm. I don't know. The history golf does not show those guys being winners, so, especially at a major with the pressure's highest, the self control factor is the one I'm looking at, and I think, you know, you make a great point that he ain't He ain't dumb. He saw how it worked at Toy, so keep it going.
Speaker 1: I just well, he had that moment at Tory. Do you remember in Saturday's round when he hit the flag on fourteen.
Speaker 2: I can't remember now. I may have missed it because I might have been out walking around too much. But tell me what happened.
Speaker 1: He got in trouble and he had to chip out, and then his third shot hit the flag. It would have been tight, It would have been feet away. You know, kicking probably hits the flag ends up twenty five feet away he makes double. I think he made double oh wow, or he maybe he made.
Speaker 2: Boguey remember reading about it now, Yes.
Speaker 1: And he and it looked like it just looked like the quintessential like you've seen the you've seen the moment happen with him so many times for everything just blows up and it didn't. And that was like to me, like the turning point of that tournament was that he didn't give in there and he you know, he finished well that round out that kept him in it really and uh and that was like, but I don't know, it's it's so hard golf. If this is this might not be the place for him, because this is the place that's got those things that happened that you can't explain, you know.
Speaker 2: Just all he's got to do is, you know, stay Nicholas, like stay you know in terms of and that's hard to do, but you know, if you're gonna be great, make make the mental approach, be as good at the mental approach as you are at everything physical. And I think he can do it. You know, there was a moment a Tory two in the first round he missed like a two and a half footer on twelve and he and he just walked picked up the ball and he walked away from it. And you know, I sound like a parent who's scolding his hot headed little, you know, thirteen year old prodigy kid, because every good player at that age has a temper. But John's too old to have that temper anymore. That's my that's my little get off my lawn, old man assessment.
Speaker 1: So you're gonna be on live from all week on the Golf Channel. People can find you there, right, anything else you got cooking this week?
Speaker 2: No, it's a it's a it's a week of complete dedicated TV scheduling, which it's fun. It is. It's there's a lot you'd be great in this environment. You know, there's a lot of golf that gets talked. You learn a lot of golf from, especially the ex players, you know, Aeron Oblehozer or Justin We're in Stanford this week unfortunately because yeah, because of COVID. But you know, that's what I've enjoyed the most about being a golf channel is it's just how kind of endless the golf discussions can be on off air. Hopefully some of that some of the best ones. Sometimes you feel like are off air, but a lot of it, an amazing amount of it gets carried over on air too, especially with with Brandle and rich and and and justin.
Speaker 1: You guys are going to be dealing with the awful hours, you know, the early mornings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's once it's like a casino. You know, you don't know what You come in here and you don't know you don't you don't see the sun you walk out there, you don't know time it was, So it doesn't once just get started, it almost doesn't matter. And and and everybody's excited about the Open. Yeah, there's just something visually, even though we're not there, something visually about seeing a great old links on the you know, on the on the place of the game was was was invented. It inspires people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's probably my favorite major. I think, I think, I think I wrote something a couple of years ago. It's my favorite major.
Speaker 2: But you haven't been over there yet, no, Yeah, well that's it'll be even better for you when you go and then play over there too. Yeah, that does bring it alive that that was always the most fun part about going to the Open in the older days before was you know, the days were so long, and you know it sports Ocrat. We wrote one story a week for a while there, and you know there was a lot of a lot of time to play golf in the late afternoon at the surrounding courses. That was. Yeah, it was really.
Speaker 1: Nice that Brandon Stone a couple of years ago. I'll never forget that when he was out playing. Uh was it was he playing the.
Speaker 2: North Barrack mark Beck is everybody's favorite with the Hickory's.
Speaker 1: Or was he it was it was at Carnoussie. Maybe he was playing the old course.
Speaker 2: With Samar I bet he's playing Pamir at CARNOUSTI uh huh, because they had the Hickory They had the Hickory Championship there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he won the Hickory's from uh from the Scottish I think. And then he was playing after his round. So he finished his round in the open and they somebody had saw him out playing at one of the other courses. You can't remember where it was that after he played his round and I think he was he's in the mix. He'd shot sixty nine ers sixty eight that day. It was just like the the golf spirit is is the thing I really need to experience out there.
Speaker 2: Well, good luck man, I mean you're you're well positioned because those guys all know you now, they'll be more than happy to host you.
Speaker 1: Last two years have been kind of tough for the for getting over there, so I.
Speaker 2: Know, but everybody's pen up now, so they'll they'll they'll want you to see everything. It'll be great.
Speaker 1: Hivey, thank you so much for coming out. Really looking forward to your coverage this week, and is somebody who's grown up reading your articles and everything you've brought to the game. Big thanks for you growing by love of golf.
Speaker 2: Well that's very nice you and you know, thank you for what you're doing with these podcasts because there's a there's a deep dive into that old spirit that you talked about, and it's not as easy to find anymore with the world moving so fast, and it's a gift of the game what you're doing. So thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to another episode of the Frida Egg Podcast. This episode was edited by Meg Atkins. As I mentioned at the top, it's a major championship that means we have daily newsletters. Will Knights does an incredible job with these. He'll be up at all odd hours of the day watching this, as will I as well, Garrett. But he will keep you covered if you miss any of that. If you have to work and you can't watch golf all the time, he'll have you covered. So sign up for the Fridagg newsletter. It's free, it comes out three days a week, normally during major weeks. It's every day of the week, and lots of great tidbits, stories, witty humor in there. So sign up at the Fridagg dot com. It's right there. It's free, it's easy, and you'll know more about golf. Thanks for listening to another episode of the Frida Egg