Speaker 1: I'm a homegrowd that knows a little bit about everything, and everybody don't know.
Speaker 2: If you don't lie about that, right, Lauren came in, Hey, y'all, what's up.
Speaker 1: It's Laura l Rosa and this is the latest with Laura l Rosa. This did DELI dig on all things pop culture, entertainment, news and all of the conversations that shake the room.
Speaker 2: Baby. Now today we're gonna go behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: Of the Grind, Behind the scenes of the Grind, our little checking that we do here. It's been a minute since we've done it in full. But when we check it behind the scenes of the Grind, it's really just a time to like sit still and be like, how am I really feeling today, this week, this month? What's really going on with me? I just came back from Norfolk State University Norfolk.
Speaker 2: They say that I say it wrong. Hampton.
Speaker 1: It was my first time at Hampton University as well, which is a school that Envy graduated from. So he took me over to here and there like maybe forty five minutes apart if even that, and I was home in Delaware. You guys heard the conversation in the episode prior to this one or watch and or if you have not, please go and find it with my church sees the greatness. I was in conversation with Tim Ross, who is an amazing spiritual leader, podcaster, thought provoker, and Noah Mills former Miss Delaware twenty twenty three, but also a huge not even just would I would say like advocate, but not even just an advocate, but a huge action based professional in the mental health space because she does so much on a daily working with in the corporate arena to make sure that businesses and corporates and brands have adequate mental health support because of you know, just her life passion somethings she's been through in her life as well.
Speaker 2: Conversation was great. So I've been all over the world and back.
Speaker 1: I think last night was the first night I actually got some real sleep, and boy does going to sleep early change your whole perspective on the world, life everything. I woke up this morning still was like a little bit like ugh, I don't want to get up. But once I got up and got going and got the day started, I felt the difference in my body between today and Monday morning. I think I'm just at that age where when I don't get a lot of sleep. I feel it like in the way I think, the way I'm able to communicate, the way I think through my attention span, which is already horrible my attention span, but it's just better. So in noticing that, you know, I really want to try and prioritize more sleep. Don't know if it'll be possible. I was just saying that today to Charlot Mane. Actually, like it's no way in this industry for what I do you get good sleep. Like, it's just not possible. There's not enough hours in the day. So that's what's been kind of, you know, back and forth, ping pong in my mind. It's like, Yo, I feel so amazing having went to sleep so early last night, But can I do that every day? Do have enough time in life to do that every day? If y'all I have good sleep regimens and you can recommend anything of like how you're balancing a very demanding work life and all the things. I know, parents y'all probably have the best advice here. I'm not a parent yet, but I don't know, man, I'll be feeling like I'm I'm juggling a lot.
Speaker 2: Send the tips on over.
Speaker 1: I am more than open for them because I want to feel like this every single day. And mind y'all, today wasn't even like a fully I could have slept more like today was like today was great, but I still felt like today, like all right, girl, you could have did a couple more hours or whatever. But anyway, so we're here, We're well rested, I'm feeling good.
Speaker 2: Travel was great, It's always fired.
Speaker 1: Every October is like that month where I'm at different schools, have so many different things going on because the HBCU Alumni Tour that I do every year. This is my second year doing it. Just God is good. I get to go to all these schools and see different people and experience different things.
Speaker 2: And we are ending. I'm ending the tour this week. Actually the high Halloween Eve will be.
Speaker 1: Which is October thirtieth, Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, which is the Eagle Stadium. Delaware State University will be playing Norfolk State University, and I'm bun be there, Okay, bringing you guys all behind the scenes, you know, grabbing content from everywhere I can.
Speaker 2: So don't worry. I got you off.
Speaker 1: You can't make it right here. The latest to Lorna Rosa will be taking you inside.
Speaker 2: Get in the game. I always wanted to say that. But anyway, speaking of sports.
Speaker 1: Segue, but an important segue speaking of sports. Okay, So, for those of you guys who do not know, Paul Pierce was recently taken into custody by police for suspicion of driving under the influence.
Speaker 2: That was fourteen days ago.
Speaker 1: They say that when they arrested him that there was signs that he was impaired, and this was following him falling asleep behind the wheel and his range Rover. He was sitting in traffic on a highway in LA and he fell asleep behind the wheel of the car. Now cops say that he had been on the highway this was during the time of like a crash investigation, so.
Speaker 2: He'd been sitting still for some time.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you guys have ever driven in LA, but you already are city, especially if you're driving between a certain time, You're already sitting.
Speaker 2: Still for long, long periods of.
Speaker 1: Time, especially if you're driving through certain parts of LA. So, like the Valley is always horrible right near downtown. Honestly, it's bad all over, but certain parts is it gets worse than others in certain days, in certain times. Now he was driving at eleven thirty five pm. And again LA is one of them places where randomly at times too there can just be traffic. I used to be like, where's everybody going right now? Like y'all don't work, Like people in LA don't work. In my opinion, everybody's an influence to everybody. It's just creative and floating and going and run in and figuring out life. But everybody got somewhere to drive and be when you need to get somewhere. So it's eleven thirty five pm. They reopened the highway and they discovered Paul Pierce's car. Now again they say that they know the signs of alcohol impairment when they encountered him, or you know, once they down they're talking to him, they're at the car and all the things. So they conducted a duy investigation. Then he was arrested on the suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol, a violation of California vehicle cold of course, and he was taken into a central Central Los Angeles area.
Speaker 2: Office.
Speaker 1: Now he did comment on this situation. They have blood test results. So I'm going to tell you guys first what he commented before I give you what his blood test results from the dy investigation were. So when he commented on this situation, Paul Piers, he posted a photo to his Instagram and he said, imagine being stuck in stand still traffic for forty five minutes and falling asleep with the hand covering his face emoji. I took this picture that night because I'd never been a stand still traffic for this long. I'm old, and I fell asleep with the shrugging hands emoji.
Speaker 2: I'm good, y'all. Thanks for the love and the photo that he posted. Very much.
Speaker 1: Standstill traffic very much gives. You're sitting in LA traffic. But it makes even more sense if police are saying that they had shut down the highway for a car crash investigation, right, because that's even more traffic. You're sitting still for even longer all of the things. So he denied it. Now, this was back on April ninth, right, So this week police have updated documents, and according to those documents and court records, prosecutors are charging Paul Pierce with one count of driving under the influence of alcohol and one count of driving with a point zero eight blood alcohol content. And now this is fourteen days, right, so about two weeks after he was pulled over, not pulled over but because he was already sitting still, but after he had encountered police and they had taken him in for a suspicion of the DUI Now, I looked it up in LA the blood alcohol content like that that number that you know, if you're twenty one and older you're not supposed to hit. Is that point zero eight? So I started thinking, like, okay, and I've reached out to Paul Pierces everybody I could find. I reached out to his agents, and I believe it was a manager. I'll verify that in a second, but I believe it was a manager. No one has responded yet. I want to try and find an attorney because when I look this up, I'm like, Okay, if that's the number, what's the scale of you hit. I mean, once you hit that number, it becomes illegal. But is there Because there was a note under the law that I read that said that it kind of depends on your impairment, I'm gonna actually bring it up. So this is from the California DMV. When I was researching for the story, I just wanted to know, like what all legal limits were. I didn't know if it veris stayed to say, like the blood alcohol concentration that you will here keep people mentioning when they talk about the story, is that number when you consume alcohol and traces of it into your bloodstream. Your blood alcohol content measures how much alcohol is present in your bloodstream. It is illegal for you to drive if you've had if you have a blood alcohol level of point zero eight or higher if you are over twenty one years old.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: It also says if you drive with an illegal blood alcohol content, and law enforcement officer can charge you with DY. Even if your BAC your blood alcohol content is below legal limits, that does not mean it is safe for you to drive. Almost everyone feels negative effects of alcohol, even at levels lower than illegal limit. Depending on how badly you are impaired, you may be arrested or convicted for DUY even without a blood alcohol content measurement. And there's a table of how many drinks you've consumed, your gender, your body weight, the reason why, Like when I was looking at this, I was like, okay, so I'm trying to think what is his argument here? Like, if I'm Paul Pierce, what is your argument here? How do you argue because your blood says point oh eight, it's illegal at that point?
Speaker 2: Right? But do you try and argue anything.
Speaker 1: To try and like Lessen, I guess like legally, how this hits you in court or even if not, how it hits you in court, because I feel like, even with a justin Timberlake, it doesn't matter how many drinks you have and where are people where they test you.
Speaker 2: Whatever, the law is the law, right.
Speaker 1: But I think the fact that Paul Pierce came out and posted that statement, volunteering the statement and said, hey, I was just sleep, Like, thank y'all for checking in.
Speaker 2: I was just sleep. I'm old, like, are they gonna try and argue this? And what do they say if so?
Speaker 1: So I started reading more and I'm like, okay, you have to admit that there were drinks involved because it was in your bloodstream.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So with that statement, I'm thinking, Okay, they lean in and they say, Okay, here's what he drank, here's evidence of it from where he was, and here's why we're saying this shouldn't have been classified as anything under the influence and making him incapable of driving because of his body masks or body makeup and gender and all the things, like, I don't know, none of that makes sense to me. But it also doesn't make sense that you would make that statement knowing that you had a couple drinks. And maybe he didn't because another thing too, I didn't have to read this to understand it.
Speaker 2: I just you know, I'm a drinker. I've been drunk before.
Speaker 1: Alcohol hits everybody differently, so I think sometimes too, depending on how frequent you drink or lack thereof, Not only does it hit people differently, but I think people always think they're less than what they are. So maybe he is at point eight, but he feels able to dry and because of all those things, the factors of you know, his gender, his height, his weight, and all these things. He's thinking because he doesn't actively feel.
Speaker 2: Impaired, he's cool.
Speaker 1: But I don't know any core in the land that will be like, oh you know what, Yeah, people die behind drunk driving, you know what I'm saying. So I really just don't understand why he volunteered that statement. I know the same thing just recently happened to Adrian Peterson, the football star. He hasn't said anything. I think that that's the best bet is to not say anything. Adrian Peterson was found behind the will of his car sleep in a gas station and when police interacted with him, there was signs of impairment as well, they alleged to I just don't understand why Paul Pierce made the statement the way that people don't pay about drunk driving.
Speaker 2: I get it. I lost a front of drunk driving my first year out of college.
Speaker 1: It's a horrible thing to have to experience, so I understand it, and I think maybe this was him trying to like say face publicly. But I don't care about any of these factors that you read on these DMV websites or whatever. And I know all these things are taken into account as you're when you're an officer and you're talking to someone in your because I know too, like they asked you or you taking any medicines actively, and like they're trying to figure out what level of impairment and just where you are and just see signs of anything so they know what to do from there on out. I don't think I would have volunteered that at all. I don't think it makes any better public appearance wise, And if it's to say face like brand wise or whatever the reasoning.
Speaker 2: Is, it doesn't soften it.
Speaker 1: Like it is what it is at this point, and you just deal with the consequences of it and just be happy that he fell asleep allegedly sitting behind the will of his car, not even allegedly because he said he was tired. He said he fell asleep, but he says it was because of traffic behind the wheel of his car in traffic sitting on a highway. Can you imagine how dangerous that is for the oncoming cars but also for himself. Like, you're lucky to be alive at this point. Now, I did want to talk a bit about just so we have Sophie here. Sophie works on the team here with the podcast, and when we were talking about this story, as I was getting prepared for it, she was telling me that she works at a spot nearby. They train them on just different ways to cite and pyramid when it comes to drinking and things like, because you know, you out at the bars, they got to cut you off at a certain point.
Speaker 2: So she was sharing some different, very interesting things.
Speaker 1: To me, just about how alcohol hits people in different ways, and I'm like, well, maybe again, because I'm just trying to think, why, if I'm Paul Pierce, why would.
Speaker 2: I post that statement? No one, They're gonna test me.
Speaker 3: If you're training to do stuff behind the bar, you have to do this very lengthy. It can even be like six hours of tips training where you look at people's ideas to see whether they're fake or they're real. But on top of that, you also get these videos that you have to respond to answers with and you have to check their back, which is their alcohol content levels. Right, but also, as mildly sexist as it sounds, women get drunker faster.
Speaker 2: That is just the fact I can attest. I can attest it. I don't. I don't. I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't get drunker faster and then try and drive. I've been warned about that so and so so many times. But listen, I'd be trying to outdrink, like even like even out with Bay or when you with your male friends, like you, you know, you'd be trying to hang until you're literally hanging over the toilet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Like I don't think it's sexist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, you know, I was talking to somebody too when I was taking the test, because you know, we all have to take it at the same time. It's like a yearly thing and it's like your enzyme breakdown like in your body and stuff like that. But it's also your genetics. If you come from a family, people are always like, oh, like Irish people, like they can drink. They got the stomach. Believe it or not, it's your you know, genetic makeups. Some people can have like, let's say, eight drinks and still feel okay. And with alcohol though, like comes a confidence level. People feel more free and lose and confident. So some people think in their brain because once you're drink, that hits your brain and fect you not only like physically, but mentally. Yeah, so they are like, oh, I could drive, I could drive. It's like, but no, you can't. But then it's also like when you are fatigued and when you're stressed, you also come back with higher alcohol levels because it hits you harder.
Speaker 1: That's crazy because you when you are So when I'm fatigued and I'm drinking, Like I was just telling you guys, I was at homecoming and or a bunch of different homecomings this past weekend for hostings, and oh yeah, like I was so tired because we were literally coming right from the show. It takes me longer in my opinion, to fill the alcohol when I'm tired, but when it hits, it's like I'm tired, like I need to go lay down, I'm done. I'm lit, Like I gotta like you know what I mean, and I know that, and I'm like a very well well, I'm very well aware of that about myself. And that's too And again, this is all ledge.
Speaker 2: We don't know.
Speaker 1: Paul Pearce is saying he wasn't under the influence. Police are saying that they've tested and other things, and they don't. They're not saying the same thing that he is. But one of the things that I've had to learn in my adult life is like I got to know about myself, like, girl.
Speaker 2: You should uber because the confidence.
Speaker 1: Level be there and you be like, nah, I got it, I got it, Like and now was like, I mean, you got life to lose, but also like you don't want put nobody else's life in danger. My biggest question for celebrities and it's again, this is not even just directedtor Paul Pierce, because I know justin Timberlake had a situation like this. There's been so many celeb situations like this. I always be like, why are y'all driving anyway? I would love to just be able to have a car service on payroll. Nothing, especially in LA, nothing in me wants to be the person that has to driving is so much responsibility. I would so much rather be in the back of my car, scrolling on my phone on FaceTime, free, young Wilder, Free, Like I literally don't understand that. And then a lot of times people say, well, it's because they want to feel regular, like they want to drive themselves, they want to I get all that, but I promise you, especially when I'm going out, like when I'm oh my god, I hate.
Speaker 2: The prices of ubers and all that.
Speaker 1: Sometimes, but I swear, like, especially more recently, I'd be like, all right, you want to be able to go there and have a good time, or you want to go there and think about everything you can't do and how much you can't do it because you can't afford none of this, like at all.
Speaker 2: I don't understand it.
Speaker 1: You can afford to do it as well, Like I don't understand that with celebrities. I've never understood why they just want to drive themselves in general, but especially not why you're drinking or out socially or whatever and then choose to drive, you know. And in Paul Pierce's situation, it's alleged and we don't know where he was coming from, and we don't, you know, there's so many details we do not know. But in his alleged situation, in the Adrian Peterson situation, allegedly, I don't understand why, like why, like I, why not just get somebody to drive you, even if it's your fly ass car? Why not pay somebody? Like most of the time too, I feel like you have assistance. And these are not people that might not sit up under you all damned day long, but you need somebody you could figure it out. I just don't get it. There's a lot about this I don't get. I'm trying to put some you know, answers. I think more answers will come out as time goes by. But again, you know, I think all in all, the biggest thing here is we're just all lucky.
Speaker 2: No one was hurt, Like I mean the names involved.
Speaker 1: You know, if this is if all of the if the allegations and accusations are true, they are lucky they didn't hurt themselves and that no one else was hurt as well. That's the biggest takeaway from here. And also why not just call it uber? This is the latest with Laura La Rosa. At the end of the day, y'all could be anywhere with anybody having a conversation about these topics, but y'all choose to be right here with the me Lowriders. I appreciate you guys every single time in every single episode. I'm Laura la Rosa. This is the latest, and I will catch you guys in my next episode.