Speaker 1: Over the past year, Laura's found herself in quite the bind. She's facing a complicated patchwork of consequences and it can be hard to follow. That's because we're talking about cases across two states, Arizona and California. We're talking about multiple different court systems, civil courts, family courts, and now criminal courts. So I want to regroup and give you an overview of what Laura's up against. In June twenty twenty four, Clayton won his family court case against Laura. That's a civil court judgment. Along with her judgment, Judge Mata ordered Laura to pay Clayton's legal fees, a number that after Laura's failed appeals, is nearing two hundred thousand dollars. Then seven months later, in January twenty twenty five, the police raided Laura's family home in Arizona to serve a search warrant. By that summer, she was indicted in Arizona on seven felony charges. That's the criminal system, you know, the one that sentences people to prison. Here's Clayton.
Speaker 2: I hope for justice to be served, and to me, what that looks like is her going to prison no matter what she's faced. Up until this point, she has not once said you know what, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Even after seven felony charges, Lauras still decided to renew her domestic violence restraining order against Mike Marriccini. This one in the San Francisco court system. It's a civil case, but for Mike it's a legal battle. He's been fighting for almost ten years. And while she battled Mike and court, the prosecutors in Arizona weren't quite done with her yet. Their investigation had uncovered more.
Speaker 2: What we know is coming down the pipeline is bigger than anything she could ever imagine, and bigger than any of us could ever imagine.
Speaker 1: I'm Stephanie Young and this is love trapped.
Speaker 3: Taty.
Speaker 1: At the end of the last episode we left off, in San Francisco, Laura Owens filed to renew her domestic violence restraining order against Mike Marriuccini, But this time Mike had secured legal counsel and was ready to fight back. The evidentiary hearing was slated for October twenty twenty five, and I flew to San Francisco to be in the courtroom the night before the hearing was set to start, someone in Laura's camp emailed Mike's attorney, Omar Serrato. Omar and Mike thought Laura was agreeing to drop the DVRO renewal, but twelve minutes later they found out that wasn't the case. Here's Omar.
Speaker 4: There was like that surreal moment where you have all this adrenaline and then it's over, but the adrenaline's still there and you're trying to like calm down. Mike is crying, and he's like raising his arms and triumphant hugs all around, and then I get this mysterious email come through my phone.
Speaker 1: In the email, Laura requested a zoom link for the next day's hearing, which Omar expected she would need to agree to the deal in front of the judge, but she also asked for a zoom link for her former attorney and nurse practitioner. That didn't make sense. If she planned to dismiss the case, why did they need to be present.
Speaker 4: Everybody's still in celebration mode, and so I'm like trying to sitting on that for five minutes, like what does this mean? And then I emailed her, Hey, Laura, my understanding was we had agreement.
Speaker 3: Is that's still the case?
Speaker 4: And then like ten minutes later, No, we don't have an agreement. That was it just a one liner. And then I had to break the news to Mike, Hey, is this still one But he took that remarkably well. It was like, well, if I get game on, then I guess back to the original plan.
Speaker 1: I arrived at the San Francisco Superior Courthouse early on Tuesday morning, October twenty first. The hearing was scheduled for nine am. It wasn't long before a familiar face joined me. Clayton Eckered. He traveled to San Francisco just for this hearing.
Speaker 2: I am in San Francisco for the first time of my life. I'm here to support Mike. I'm here because he shut up for me, and that was it. No matter what happens, no matter what the outcome is, I'm here to show Mike that I appreciate him.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I can pause all this shit in my life right now, because honestly, this is more important than all that.
Speaker 1: When Clayton had his family court trial against Laura the previous year, the courthouse in Arizona was filled with his supporters, including the content creators who'd been covering his story. Now in San Francisco, that same energy surrounded Mike outside the courthouse that morning. I ran into journalist Megan Fox.
Speaker 6: So I'm reporting out from in front of the Superior Court in California and San Francisco. We're gonna wait for Laura Owens to up here by Zoom. We think maybe or maybe she's not gonna show up at all. We're not sure, but we're gonna go in and find out.
Speaker 7: We're all here. Where is she?
Speaker 1: What do you think is gonna happen today?
Speaker 6: God, it's one of three things. It's gonna get dismissed because she doesn't show up. Secondly, it could be continued. It's possible she could show up and argue for continuance. And the third option is that we fight it out.
Speaker 8: There's a trial, they're open.
Speaker 3: Should we go in?
Speaker 7: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: We all piled into the small courtroom. I sat next to Clayton. Since it's a domestic violence related proceeding, audio recording is not allowed in the courtroom, but I took plenty of notes, so let me summarize. Laura joins by Zoom along with her former attorney David Jingris, although Jingers clarified that he was there as a witness, not as Laura's counsel, because Laura is the petitioner in this case. The judge told her that she needed to be there in person, but Laura refutes this and says she thought it was only strongly suggested that she be there in person. The judge agreed to pick up the hearing the following day, but when they did, she said Laura needed to be in the courtroom, no exceptions. If she wasn't there, the case would be dismissed. Laura said she would try her best to be in San Francisco the following day. After that, the judge moved on to another case. There were so many people there to see what would happen, so much anticipation and build up, all to be told come back tomorrow. After the hearing, I caught up with Mike Marriccini and his wife Danielle. I'm harry you guys, feeling anxious, anxious.
Speaker 3: J just chraates chaos. It's always chaotic.
Speaker 9: There's nothing that's ever just.
Speaker 1: Did you expect the judge to be that hard on her?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I did, because she told Laura she had to be here in person, so I'm not surprised by the judge playing hardball.
Speaker 1: Are you ready for tomorrow now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm ready.
Speaker 9: I personally don't think she's gonna show up, but I'm ready.
Speaker 1: I asked Mike what it was like to have Clayton there.
Speaker 9: It was great to see Clayton. I told him he did not need to come, like, don't waste money on a plane ticket, and he said, Mike, you supported me for the June tenth hearing, Like this is the least I could do.
Speaker 5: I want to be there to support you.
Speaker 1: I joined Clayton, Mike, and Danielle for lunch that afternoon. This was my first time finally sitting down with Mike and Danielle face to face, and spirits were surprisingly high. Here's Mike.
Speaker 9: Going into day two, I was like, Okay, this is going to condense the entire trial to one day, but we can knock this out. My team still felt very confident, which is one day instead of two days, so I still felt good going into day two.
Speaker 1: I returned to the San Francisco Superior Courthouse the next morning. Yes, I just did this the day before. What I didn't know at the time is that we'd all be doing it again. When I arrived, I found Megan Fox already at work live streaming, joined virtually by Dave Neil. The question of the day Wouldlaura show up? Because of her seven felony indictments, she needs to ask the courts for permission to leave the state of Arizona. As far as anyone knew, she hadn't done that. That's what Dave and Meghan were talking about on that live stream outside the courthouse.
Speaker 11: So you're waiting for the trial to start. What are the odds that Laura shows up?
Speaker 6: Uh, she's not coming.
Speaker 12: Zero.
Speaker 6: She did not file for permission from the prosecutor in Maricopa County to come, and she has to do that. She can't leave the state without permission from the prosecutor. Court was going forward whether or not Laura was here, and I did want her to know that we're covering this case. Whether she shows up or not, we're all going to be here, and I think it's important. We've been following this case for how long day? Two years now too?
Speaker 11: Yeah, sure, And I actually wanted Laura to be there because I wanted Mike to be able to face her and come out of victorious. But what's your feeling assuming she isn't there, she's going to what just have to drop it? Will she then make any excuse that she I didn't want to drop it.
Speaker 3: But she did.
Speaker 6: She doesn't show up today, I have a feeling that the judge will dismiss it.
Speaker 11: With regards to the sort of vibes with Mike and Clayton, who was there yesterday? What's is Mike's family there, how are they feeling? What's the update with that.
Speaker 6: Mike's wife is here? She is feeling very frustrated. She said to me yesterday we have children, real babies at home that need us, and she would just rather not be here. And Laura's wasting everyone's time. Laura's the one who brought this. She needs to show up and fight her case. You can't file something and then decide at the last minute you don't want it. This is where the fight is, Laura. You should have shown up, you wanted it. Where's your evidence, she says, she has evidence, So come and make your case in front of Judge Gold.
Speaker 1: When we got there that morning, we were all waiting in the hallway, Me, Clayton, Mike, Danielle and Mike's legal team. Besides us, there were twenty or thirty people packed into the hallway. They were strangers to Mike, but told me they'd been following Justice for Clayton online and came to support Mike in person. And the demographic of supporters was surprisingly diverse, young people, older people, men, and women. The hearing was supposed to start at nine am, but nine am came and went, and the doors didn't open. The group started to become tense. No one knew what was going on. At around nine thirty am, the bailiff finally opened the doors, but only allowed Mike and Omar to enter the courtroom. Everyone looked confused. Ten minutes later, Mike and Omar came back out. Mike was in tears. He went over to Danielle and they left the building. I didn't have a chance to speak with them. Later, Mike explained what happened in his closed door meeting with the judge.
Speaker 9: We walk in and Laura's up on the screen and she was in a car, and she's kind of like just like a laughing spark on her face, like, Oh, I got you guys again. So I immediately sat down knowing something was wrong because the judge told her to be there in person the day before and she's up on the screen. Confidence is can to be with her with her smirk, and the judge says, we receive some information about an eightya. We are going to be continuing the court date, and they use a lot of other legal jargon.
Speaker 1: In between an EIGHTYA. Laura filed a formal request for accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act. It's a federal civil rights law that all courts are obliged to comply with.
Speaker 9: We asked if we could essentially argue this eightya accommodation and the judge is like, no, it's already been processed. We're going to be pushing court to November fifth.
Speaker 1: In other words, they all thought it would be over, but by filing for an EIGHTYA accommodation request, the deadline was pushed back by another two weeks.
Speaker 9: I walk out of the courtroom. I'm emotional, I'm crying, and I talked with my wife immediately, and I talked with Clayton, I think right after that, and Clayton was like the first line of defense. He said, she's just delaying the inevitable. She knows she's going to lose this. You have to stay strong. You cannot give up now, You've come too far. And my attorney said the same thing. And I was just upset with the court system that day and the justice system, said I just want to go home and spend time with my family because it's what's going to make me.
Speaker 5: Happy right now.
Speaker 1: Later I asked Danielle mary Chini about this moment. Like Mike, she'd been expecting this day to finally be the end of Laura's domestic violence restraining order.
Speaker 10: It was re traumatizing, quite frankly, and I thought, we're going to be let down again, and she's going to win again again, and we will have to deal with the consequences of a permanent restraining order for the rest of our lives.
Speaker 1: After Mike and Danielle left the courthouse that day, I sat down with Clayton to process what just happened.
Speaker 2: I'm pissed because I first saw Mike walk out of the courtroom and tears in his eyes, and you know where those tears are coming from. It's six plus years that this man has had to endure, and I feel for him because I've went through two years of my own and so it is really frustrating because you just want.
Speaker 3: It to be done.
Speaker 1: Clayton knows better than anyone else what it feels like to try to prove his innocence against Laura Owens.
Speaker 2: Laura thinks she's one today. I don't see that at all as a win. This is another unification of all of us to be together and to further be driven to see this through. Like all she did was light a fire. And if you think that we're all just going to go, oh and we lost, and we're gonna all like, no, I have a renewed sense of fire. I know everyone that's here has a renewed sense of fire. And we are winning.
Speaker 1: Clayton was determined to see this thing through. He'd recently gotten a phone call from one of the state investigators in Arizona. The criminal case against Laura Owens wasn't finished yet.
Speaker 2: He had called me and said, look, what Laura doesn't realize is what we've found out about her and the things that we have uncovered. The paternity scandal is the least of her worries.
Speaker 1: In October twenty twenty five, Mike Marriccini and his legal team prepared for an evidentiary hearing on Laura's domestic violence restraining order renewal. This had nothing to do with her criminal case in Arizona. She'd been charged with multiple felonies five months prior, but the DVRO renewal was an entirely separate legal matter in another state. After a dramatic back and forth in their first scheduled hearing, Laura filed a disability accommodation request with the San Francisco Superior Court, citing the Americans with Disabilities Act. It's the kind of filing the courts are obligated to take seriously. Here's Mike's attorney, Omarcerato.
Speaker 4: Nobody was expecting an ADA request to supersede everything, but it does in California. You don't fuck with ADA law. Mike needs to win this on the merits. He cannot have this lost on an EIGHTA violation.
Speaker 1: And it pushed the DVRO hearing date back by two weeks. You might be wondering what disability Laura claimed to have. We weren't privy to what she said in the closed door meeting with the judge, but Laura submitted a filing to the court explaining her medical situation. I've had a voice actor read from it.
Speaker 13: Attached as exhibit A is a letter dated October seventeenth, twenty twenty five, from doctor Colleen Green, a medical provider I have been seeing since September twenty twenty four. Doctor Green states that participating in the hearing next week quote would be life threatening for her end quote because of the combined psychiatric and physical decline. This new evidence unavailable when the court previously ruled, directly REBTs any assumption that I am capable of safely participating in a contested proceeding at this time. In addition to doctor Green's findings, my other treating medical providers have diagnosed extreme anorexia following a fifty pound weight loss accompanied by gastro intestinal bleeding following multiple episodes of vomiting blood. My treating physicians advised that urgent gastro intestinal testing and specialist evaluation were medically necessary. I was referred for a specialist consultation scheduled for October twenty second, which was the earliest available date for the required procedures. The overlap with the hearing date is entirely unavoidable, as the appointment was made immediately upon referral for a very serious condition. Postponing this appointment could delay essential diagnostics for several weeks and significantly increase the risk of further bleeding, worsening anemia, and medical destabilization.
Speaker 1: Translation, the earliest day the doctor could perform a procedure for a life threatening medical emergency was the very day of trial, October twenty second. The judge issued a continuance, meaning come back in two weeks and we'll do this again. So I left San Francisco and flew home. A week later, my phone started blowing up. It was news about Laura. Journalist Megan Fox was doing a YouTube live when she saw a comment pop up.
Speaker 6: I'm reading my comments and I see just one little sentence that says.
Speaker 14: She was at a horse show.
Speaker 1: Megan decided to investigate. It turns out there was an equestrian competition happening in Arizona that very week, the Scottsdale Fall Classic.
Speaker 6: I go to the website, the Scottsdale Fall Classic. The website and I go immediately I'm looking for the awards.
Speaker 1: I type in her name.
Speaker 6: Sure, shit, there she is winning awards after she was supposed to be in court. And she said she was bleeding internally and needed a blood transfusion.
Speaker 1: Excuse me, Megan in the online community even uncovered footage of Laura Owen competing.
Speaker 8: Low Chillers Low and el Hutter.
Speaker 15: With Laura Owens the odd.
Speaker 1: Laura earned three first place finishes and won one hundred and fifty dollars. There's a photo of her on her horse. She has a huge smile on her face and she's draped in a championship ribbon. When the online community saw this, they flew off the handle. Dave Neil made this video about it.
Speaker 11: She was actually caught by some of our audience members competing in a horse race this weekend. Why is this interesting, Well, it's interesting because Laura claims she suffers from PTSD and extreme inorexia and all these other issues, which may or may not be true. I don't know, but if you're really sick, shouldn't you not be on a horse competing?
Speaker 1: It was so brazen. When I interviewed Dave, I asked him what he made of Laura in the horse show. I think she just lives on the day to day.
Speaker 11: She's like, let's just get through this court thing and then tomorrow will jump horses, and she doesn't even try to hide it.
Speaker 1: You can imagine how offensive this was to Mike Marraccini and his wife, Danielle. They'd spent thousands of dollars to go to San Francisco for the hearing, booking hotels and arranging overnight childcare for their two daughters, only to have Laura file the EIGHTYA request and push the date back another two weeks. Danielle Marraccini was livid.
Speaker 10: I can't even put into words the level of anger. I try to steer clear of those emotions because they will rot you from the inside out. But seeing her in those videos, I felt like she was just laughing in my face, like haha, fuck you, Like she was making a mockery of my pain and my husband's pain.
Speaker 9: She thinks that she can keep getting away with it and there's no repercussions, and she also thinks we're all too stupid to find out like the actual truth.
Speaker 1: A week later, Mike was due back at the San Francisco Superior Courthouse. I boarded a flight to meet him there. It felt like deja vus once again. Laura was ordered to be there in person if she didn't show it might finally be the end of her restraining order against Mike. When I arrived in San Francisco, the chaos had already begun. Here's Rachel Warrez, one of Mike's attorneys.
Speaker 16: I was literally in an uber on the way to the airport. The emails between Laura and the court started going rapid fire, and Laura started sending emails saying I am not coming. I called Omar from the uber and said, should I just turn around and not come? There was this chaos. That's what she does, She creates chaos.
Speaker 1: Earlier that day, the court emailed both parties. They said there was a high likelihood that a court reporter would not be available for their hearing.
Speaker 16: Unfortunately, we've been dealing with a court reporter shortage in a lot of the state courts in California for many years. It's really a resource issue.
Speaker 1: Laura tried to make this into a bigger deal than it was. Mike's team retained and paid for a court reporter, and the court approved it.
Speaker 4: The court just said, I just want to make it clear that the judge has not continued this. We're going forward as planned.
Speaker 1: It looked like the next morning there would be a hearing no matter what. That night they prepared for every possible scenario. Here's Mike's attorney, Rachel.
Speaker 16: We kind of tried to keep it a low key night, not do too much trio prep. But again we went back to what if the judge says, okay, I'll let her appear by zoom. What if she zooms in from the hospital with a doctor there saying she's going into emergency surgery. Do we start getting into the horse show? Do we just let it go? What do we do?
Speaker 1: When Omar and Rachel woke up the next morning, their inbox was full of emails from Laura Owens.
Speaker 16: We wake up to an email the next morning from Laura saying I actually was coming, even though she had said the prior day she wasn't. My parents bought me a plane ticket at seven o'clock last night to come, and I'm in the hospital. I really was coming, I promise, I promise. But now I'm in the hospital and I might have to have a procedure and this and that, and so now I really obviously cannot come anymore.
Speaker 1: According to Laura in a declaration in support of motion to correct and augment the record in the early morning hours of November fifth, she experienced multiple episodes of vomiting blood. She alleged this was a life threatening recurrence of prior gastro intestinal bleeding, and that she was seeking medical care at a hospital in Arizona.
Speaker 4: We get another email at six fifty three am, Laura emailing the court, just letting them know, Hey, so unfortunately I've had these two life threatening medical occurrences. I'm going to be forced to go into the er, and they've scheduled me for a procedure which I will be under anesthesia. So obviously I'm not going to be present for court this morning. I hope the Court will take this into consideration and find good calls to continue our proceedings. I didn't respond to that. The Court just said, thank you, Laura, we've received what you've sent us.
Speaker 1: In that same declaration, Laura said her physicians didn't expect her to be released until the following day, so she wasn't showing up. She'd pulled something like this once already. The question was would they give her another continuance like they had two weeks prior.
Speaker 4: And so Judge has had now experience with Laura and her ability to lie and conjure up these emergencies and try to delay things so they're no longer taking her seriously. So me and Rachel were like, there's no fucking way they're going to continue this, right, There can't be so again.
Speaker 16: It kind of turns what is already a stressful trial morning into a total circus.
Speaker 1: On the morning of November fifth, the hearing was still on the court docket. Even if Laura didn't show up, the result of the hearing needed to be on the record, and if she didn't show up, there was a good chance the renewal request would be dismissed, the restraining order would be over. But she'd been clinging onto this for almost ten years. It was her last connection to Mike. Would she really missed this hearing? We all headed to the courthouse that morning as planned. I'd been there two weeks ago and I knew seating would be tight, so I got there on the early side seven am. By the time I arrived, there was already a group of supporters gathered outside the courthouse, and the crowd kept growing by the minute. I ended up standing in line with content creator Lauren Nighty.
Speaker 8: We're outside the courthouse in San Francisco because Laura's supposed to show up for her DVRO renewal with Mike today, but it seems unlikely. It's raining a little bit, so we're just standing out here waiting because it doesn't open till eight fifteen, and there's a line. Last time she didn't show up, so we weren't sure how early we'd have to get here.
Speaker 1: Do you think she's going to show up today?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 7: Why?
Speaker 8: I think that she knows what she's doing, and she's now in a position where there are consequences for these actions for the first time in her life.
Speaker 17: If she were to.
Speaker 8: Show up and take the stand and tell her lies, you know, she's very calculated. She knows that she can't show up here today and do what she normally does, or else she might end up in an unfamiliar territory like she already is with the criminal trial pending. So I don't think that she's going to do that.
Speaker 1: Do you think that it we'll get dismissed today if she doesn't show up?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I do.
Speaker 8: The judge is pretty clear. Last time.
Speaker 1: The courthouse doors opened, and what happened next felt like an exact repeat of two weeks prior. Here's Mike's attorney, Omar.
Speaker 4: We get there, it's nine o'clock, and then it's nine oh five, and then it's nine point fifteen, and then it's like nine.
Speaker 1: Omar started prepping Mike for what might happen once they got in the courtroom.
Speaker 4: I was telling Mike, listen to me, you need to prepare yourself for anything, Okay, because for all I know that we're in there with a judge right now going over whatever medical documents that she has that she wants to show the judge. Just ready yourself in the event this is a continuance, not to dismissal. I'm trying to just prep them for that because last time we weren't ready for that.
Speaker 1: When the courtroom doors finally opened, Mike looked like he was in good spirits, but he later admitted to me that he had a bad feeling.
Speaker 9: We were pretty pessimistic, just based off the fact that she was having emergency surgery. My wife and I were convinced that it was going to be continued again and that Laura was going to get out of it and we were going to have to push the court datea another couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: We were finally allowed into the courtroom, and within minutes the hearing got underway. Due to the nature of the case, audio recording is not allowed in the courtroom, but I wish it was because I want you to hear what happened.
Speaker 18: Next judge calls us in. I think it was about a nine thirty issue or so. She makes it coming right away, say will it's nine thirty. Loura owns is not here, and right when she said it is like, holy shit, we got this, We got this.
Speaker 4: And then I relaxed, Rachel relaxed.
Speaker 16: I immediately tried to look over past Omar to Mike to see if he caught it, because to me, that was the moment.
Speaker 9: When she said this is going to be quick. That was the moment where the flip switched for me. I knew that she was going to dismiss it right there.
Speaker 1: I was sitting next to Mike's wife, Danielle. When it became clear what was happening. She grabbed my hand.
Speaker 10: I kind of blacked out. I remember grabbing your hand and like ecstatically shaking it with a clownish smile on my face. And I only got emotional when I saw him.
Speaker 7: I don't even think.
Speaker 10: Judge Gold had even gotten out, like this is dismissed, and I could see the tears like rolling down his face, and that was the moment that then I like burst into tears.
Speaker 1: After two eight hundred and fifty seven days, Laura's domestic violence restraining order against Mike Marruccini was finally dismissed. As the dismissal was announced, a round of applause broke out in the courtroom. I've seen a lot of hearings and trials, I'd never witnessed anything like that before.
Speaker 10: And then we were quickly moved into the hallway right after clapping, and Judge Gold looking at us like we were a bunch of weirdos, like what is going on here?
Speaker 7: But yeah, it's just so.
Speaker 10: Much relief and inexplayable joy that we did it.
Speaker 5: We did it.
Speaker 1: As we exited the courtroom, we all noticed that the weather outside had abruptly shifted. Here's omar.
Speaker 4: It was a cloudy, rainy, cold, windy day in downtown San Francisco. The clouds were hovering, it was gloomy. There was no sunshine whatsoever. And we walk out the sun is beaming through the windows. The clouds have cleared and all of the sunshine rays and everybody's happy in the jubilation, and this time it's tears of Outside.
Speaker 1: The courthouse, I was able to catch up with Mike and Danielle. I just want you to tell me immediately off about what happened in there today.
Speaker 19: Laura did not show up. She tried to throw out medical emergencies, saying she was having a surgery, and the judge dismissed it. And it is such a relief because coming into today, I truthfully thought the judge was going to continue it and I thought we were going to be back at square one, and so I just feel really really.
Speaker 20: I feel really really good because this has been such a long time coming. I've been fighting for almost ten years and I've had the support of everybody. That's the only reason why I've been able to get through this. For my wife, to my attorneys, Sidney, entire group of supporters like I would have never been able to do this without everybody, and.
Speaker 3: I'm so fortunate.
Speaker 1: Do you think that she's going to try to appeal this.
Speaker 19: She loves us.
Speaker 1: Danielle, I want to talk to you for a second. Tell me about how you were feeling last time when we left, as compared to this time and what you were feeling in the courtroom.
Speaker 10: Last time, a lot of defeat, anger, frustration, hatred, I mean, the whole gamut of the emotional wheel. This time, I feel relief, but I know that we're still going to be fighting her with appeals, that this isn't over until justice is served in Arizona. I'm confident in this community to continue to push for the truth and what is right, and I know that this group of individuals won't let her get away with this again.
Speaker 1: Relieved to have the day behind them, Mike and Danielle headed home to be with their daughters. I took some time to debrief with Mike's legal team and the content creators who'd made the trip to San Francisco. But before I made it back to my hotel, my phone started buzzing with a FaceTime request. It was from my sister. She never facetimes me. We live in the same city, so anxiously I picked up the call. That's when she told me she was eight weeks pregnant with her first child. The timing of the news while I was covering this case wasn't lost on me. My sister and I both started crying happy tears. It's a moment I'll never forget, and without me even asking, she showed me her very real sonogram. It's really that easy. The next day, I had an afternoon flight to Phoenix to catch up with Clayton. It was a beautiful morning, and before my flight, I was planning to go take a walk near the Golden Gate Bridge. But those plans got interrupted by a text message from Mike Marcini. He just heard some big news. It wasn't about his case, though, it was an update from the prosecutors in Arizona. They brought more criminal charges against Laura Owens.
Speaker 21: I thought you probably knew before I did, and so I was expecting you to just be like, already no. But I'm glad that I finally gave you some breaking news.
Speaker 1: Before I left San Francisco, I got a text from Mike Marriccini he just heard some breaking news about Laura Owens.
Speaker 9: I received a text that she had been indicted with seven more charges.
Speaker 1: The day after the domestic violence restraining order was dismissed November sixth, twenty twenty five, the State of Arizona indicted Laura Michelle Owens on another seven felony charges, bringing the total to fourteen.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I was running a high for a solid forty eight hours.
Speaker 1: Almost immediately it was being reported on by news outlets and YouTubers like Dave Neil.
Speaker 14: I thought it was groundhokx. I said, why is everybody sending me old news?
Speaker 11: I already know she's been indicted, and they said no, she's indicted on more.
Speaker 1: The Scottsdale woman is facing seven new felony charges in addition to the seven she was indicted on.
Speaker 10: Back in May.
Speaker 1: She gets facing fourteen felony charges in total. For two cases the.
Speaker 12: Miracle Pa County Attorney's Offices, Owen's falsely claimed she was pregnant by someone who she went on three dates with back in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 5: This thing just gets stranger and stranger.
Speaker 1: The first batch of charges were all related to Clayton, but as the Maricopa County Attorney's Office investigated his case, they uncovered evidence of more potential criminal behavior. The new seven felony counts are all tied to Laura's brief relationship with Greg Gillespie. Remember Greg is the man she met in twenty twenty one. In Scottsdale. You heard about him in episode five. After a few dates and hookups, Laura claimed to be pregnant with twins, shortly after she brought an abortion coercion case against Greg. Some of these new indictments are similar to Clayton's perjury, forgery, fraudulent schemes and artifices, but ifew reveal new information and even identify another victim of Laura's. There are two class four felony charges related to a sonogram image Laura sent to Greg. Laura said it was her own sonogram, but according to the state, Laura stole it from a woman named Stormy. Remember that sonogram we talked about with the Fiver logo.
Speaker 22: It says Fiver, Oh yeah, Oh hold on, hold okay, hold on, hold on.
Speaker 11: This is why you do it live.
Speaker 1: According to the state investigation, a woman named Stormy originally posted that sonogram on her personal blog. In twenty fourteen, the Maricopa County Investigators interviewed Stormy. She told them she started her blog in twenty eleven to help her cope with grief after a stillbirth. She didn't know anyone outside of her family and friends were viewing the blog until Internet detectives reached out to her and told her a woman named Laura Owens was passing the saunogram image off as her own. The investigator summarized their interview with Stormy, writing.
Speaker 14: Stormy said that it's caused anxiety and fear. She fears that people are going to be able to find her. Stormy continued by telling us that by the little things that she's found out about Laura, she's afraid that she's going to be able to find her and hurt her family.
Speaker 1: There are another two charges related to identity fraud and forgery. It appears Laura forged a medical document assuming the identity of a real physician's assistant at One Medical named Lisa Daniels. In August twenty twenty one, Laura sent Greg Gillespie a screenshot allegedly from her one Medical patient portal. It appeared to have a doctor's note on it, signed by Lisa Daniels. We've had this note read by a voice actor.
Speaker 23: Hi, Laura, thank you for coming in today. Based on your physical examination and reviewing your test results, urine and ultrasounds, both from in our office and with outside providers, we can confirm that your pregnancy is viable and consistent with a date you provided of intercourse on June thirtieth or July first. A fetal heartbeat was detected. Since you took medical abortion pills, injury to the fetus is likely, but the extent of the damage is unknown at this point. Please seek care from an obstetrician going forward. I have followed up with Julie Alla Rich MP regarding the call she had with you and the father of the child on July sixteenth. She noted that he came off as a potential domestic abuser and remarked on his seemingly controlling and dominating behavior. She said that she was concerned for your well being and is happy to testify on your behalf. Please let us know if you require any additional information for your legal case. Best of luck, Lisa.
Speaker 1: Maricopa County investigators interviewed the real Lisa Daniels, who told them she did not author this note. The investigators asked if Daniels would be willing to help the prosecution, and she said yes. She also noted that she worried about retaliation from Laura Owens. There's another charge that's a bit cryptic, theft by extortion According to the State of Arizona, Laura.
Speaker 14: Michelle Owens knowingly obtained or sought to obtain property or services from Gregory Gillespie by means of a threat to accuse Gregory Glas. We have a crime or bring criminal charges against him.
Speaker 1: There are no additional details about this charge, so we don't know exactly what evidence the state gathered. The investigation report we've been quoting included information mostly about the first seven charges. That means more information could still come out, like evidence from Laura's devices. I asked Clayton what it felt like when he saw Laura charged in not only his case but also Gregg's.
Speaker 2: Another big old heaping scoop of justice being served and watching him get all the support online.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 2: This has become larger than me.
Speaker 1: At the time I'm recording this, no criminal charges have been brought in regard to Laura's relationship with Mike Marriccini. If she was ever to be charged in his case, it would likely be in California. On December second, twenty twenty five, Laura attended as scheduled pre trial hearing on her first seven charges. The state decided to tack a second arraignment onto that hearing, which we got the audio from Good Morning.
Speaker 24: Her anor Jeffrey Sworskift peering with miss Owens as to both matters.
Speaker 25: She is president in the courtroom and so I'm gonna get your name in data birthleas Laura Owens.
Speaker 1: In this hearing. Laura has a new criminal defense attorney. Two months earlier, Laura applied for indigency status, which means she was claiming she lacked the financial resources and needed court appointed assistants, and the state granted it. With the additional seven indictments. Her previous criminal attorney withdrew. That's how Laura Owens ended up being represented by a public defender, Jeffrey Swarsky.
Speaker 25: There has been a super being indictment filed. I've provided a copy to mister Swarsky. Mister Swarsky, did you have the opportunity to review that.
Speaker 5: With your client?
Speaker 25: Yes, I did, Your honor, Did you want me to conduct a not guilty arrangement today on her behalf food?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 25: Do you wave of reading the charges her rights?
Speaker 9: We will way formal reading and enterple of not guilty as to all charges.
Speaker 25: Well, enter a plea of not guilty on her behalf.
Speaker 1: Laura entered a plea of not guilty for the seven additional felony charges.
Speaker 25: Mister Schwarzki, since I have you here, have you received disclosure?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 24: In the last week, I have received approximately six thousand pages of disclosure in sixteen bodycam recordings.
Speaker 5: All right, thank you. We're in recessing this matter.
Speaker 1: All fourteen charges have been rolled into one case against Laura Owens. At this time, Laura's pled not guilty to all of the charges. So, like we said in the last episode, Laura's faced with two options, either go to trial or change her plea to guilty. The whole time, Laura still owed Clayton nearly two hundred thousand dollars for attorney's fees. That was by order of the Family Trial Court, the Arizona Court of Appeals, and the Arizona Supreme Court. As time passes, that number is collecting interest. I asked Greg Woodnick what usually happens in situations like these.
Speaker 12: Most people have jobs, and so it's a little bit easier to collect when you have a judgment, because what you do is you get a wage assignment order, a rid of garnishment. Essentially, that's an order that gets sent to someone's employer, Taco Bell, whoever they're working for, and that employer before they issue a paycheck to Laura would take part of that paycheck and it would essentially get routed to the judgment creditor in this case Clayton. But Laura didn't have a job, so we didn't have any place to issue wage assignment order.
Speaker 1: This is where we need to get technical. Because of the money Laura owed Clayton, Greg Woodennick scheduled something called a judgment debtors exam. It's basically a deposition, but all related to Laura's finances. I asked Woodnick to explain how judgment debtors exams usually work.
Speaker 5: It's kind of a phishing expedition.
Speaker 12: You're looking for assets or things that you can collect via the judgment. Maybe someone has a boat or a car or something that is not excluded from collection that you could, in theory, use to pay the debt.
Speaker 5: Of the debtor.
Speaker 1: In this case, Laura owed Clayton money. Wouldn't it planned to ask Laura about her assets like property, cars, horses, even LLCs.
Speaker 12: Obviously, my team had prepared for the judgment debtors exam gathered questions things that I wanted to know about her financial situation to determine if there was an avenue to collect for Clayton's judgments. On the eve of the judgment debtors exam in mary Copa County Superior Court, we receive notice that she had filed for Chapter seven bankruptcy.
Speaker 1: Chapter seven is basically a fast track bankruptcy. Think of it like a request for a fresh start. If it's granted, you might lose some non essential assets, but your debt is wiped out and you have a badly bruised credit score. As soon as Laura filed for bankruptcy, all debt collection proceedings halted. Before they could resume, Laura would have to appear in federal court for bankruptcy.
Speaker 12: My team was pretty disappointed when she filed the Chapter seven bankruptcy. We prepared to ask her questions about her assets and trying to figure out if there was a way for Clayton to get paid, because he deserved to get paid he had three judgments. But our disappointment changed because as soon as the federal government got involved, it was a whole new show. They were running the show, and they were doing their own inquiry regarding Laura's.
Speaker 5: Assets and her transparency. She opened a Pandora's.
Speaker 1: Box instead of doing a judgment debtors exam with Greg Woodnick. Laura had now opened up her finances to a federal court and a notoriously unforgiving one at that.
Speaker 26: All right, this is will call on the Laura Owens case case twenty five as one one eight zero one denner is present.
Speaker 1: In January twenty twenty six, Laura was ordered to appear at a meeting of creditors. It's kind of like a mini deposition. Anyone who she owes money can join this call to ask Laura about her finances, and she owed a lot of people money.
Speaker 26: We have a lot of interested parties in the meeting, but as far as I know, we're only going to have one ask any questions.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to go ahead and swear you in.
Speaker 1: Miss Owen's Obviously, her biggest creditor was Clayton Eckered.
Speaker 24: Marcus Reisinger appearing on behalf of Clayton Eckered a creditor in this matter.
Speaker 3: As I'd ask a few questions.
Speaker 1: Marcus is an associate at Woodennick Law. He started by asking Laura about her income and page two have.
Speaker 24: That statement asked, did you have any income during this year or the two previous calendar years?
Speaker 3: Why did you answer no?
Speaker 7: Because I personally do not have any income and have not for the last two years.
Speaker 24: Did you testify in June of twenty twenty four that you had approximately two hundred thousand dollars of the year per year of income with your business.
Speaker 7: Partner with my mother and that's all gone directly to the LLC. Nothing's been paid to me personally.
Speaker 1: One of those LLCs is the Owen's family's horse flipping business. Marcus asked her if they had any valuable assets like courses, for example.
Speaker 27: I have no assets.
Speaker 7: I know where you guys are getting at.
Speaker 27: I have literally zero assets.
Speaker 24: I'm just asking some questions, but I can understand your mistique, do you.
Speaker 7: I hope they don't have one? As you know this case? Is you I ability to make any income?
Speaker 15: I have none, and.
Speaker 7: I truly believe you guys are trying to embarrass me by trying to make that point.
Speaker 3: Again, I'm not trying to embarrass you.
Speaker 24: All in doing is asking questions to understand your bankruptcy estate.
Speaker 1: Despite her emotionality, Marcus continues questioning her about her bankruptcy filing. She claimed she didn't have any assets or any current income, but this contradicted a sworn testimony Laura gave the year prior.
Speaker 24: Last question, simony is that you have not had any income in the.
Speaker 3: Past two years.
Speaker 27: No, I have not.
Speaker 3: Can you understand that you're under a.
Speaker 7: Tell me where the money is? Then, I haven't made any money.
Speaker 24: The only reason I'm asking is because you did testify numerous occasions in twenty twenty four that you had income at that time.
Speaker 3: Is that correct?
Speaker 7: That I had businesses with my mom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was less than two years ago.
Speaker 7: Correct, that I had businesses with my mom. My expenses have been paid for for living by my parents.
Speaker 27: That's where I've.
Speaker 7: Gotten my in exchange.
Speaker 1: I want to play you a clip from Woodnick's twenty twenty four deposition with Laura. It's the same deposition you heard in episode six.
Speaker 5: What is your current employment?
Speaker 7: I do a lot of things.
Speaker 28: I have a podcast, I buy and sell horses, and I have a real estate investing company.
Speaker 5: Do you earn income as a W two employee anywhere?
Speaker 28: I do not.
Speaker 12: Let's talk about the podcast first. What's the name of the podcast, and what is the theme of that podcast?
Speaker 7: Self help, self improvement?
Speaker 5: Are you the owner of the podcast?
Speaker 12: And that may not be a good question, So if you don't answer, I don't take another shot at it.
Speaker 28: I'm I guess co owner of it. I know where you're Yeah, I know what you mean.
Speaker 5: Who's the other co owner? If there's another person?
Speaker 15: My mom?
Speaker 5: Are you making money with the podcast?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 12: How much money are you earning annually from the podcast?
Speaker 28: The podcast last year made eighty three thousand, and so I had.
Speaker 5: Half of that because the other half went to your mom.
Speaker 27: Yeah.
Speaker 12: And when you say eighty three thousand, that was after business costs.
Speaker 7: No, that was before business costs.
Speaker 28: But we don't really have many business costs.
Speaker 12: So you've got the podcast. You also mentioned you've got something with horses.
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 28: It's a business buying and selling horses, show horses.
Speaker 12: How much money did you make in two thousand and twenty three with the horse business?
Speaker 28: One hundred and forty four thousand, And that's also split into I have that business with my mom.
Speaker 12: So the podcast is half owned with your mom and the horse business.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If she told the truth and the deposition, that's an annual income of two hundred and twenty seven thousand dollars. Even split with her mom, that's still one hundred thirteen thousand dollars a year. Now that Laura was in bankruptcy court, all of her previous sworn statements came under scrutiny. There appeared to be some inconsistencies. After the first meeting of creditors, Laura's bankruptcy case was referred to the United States Department of Justice. Here's wood Nick.
Speaker 12: My understanding is that the Department of Justice has a function that I think most people don't realize. Amongst all the other important things they do in the government, I think they serve as a watchdog function over the bankruptcy process. So I think someone must have notified them. Certainly wasn't my office, but someone notified them that Laura's bankruptcy had some red flags, and then they conducted their own investigation.
Speaker 1: I got a copy of Laura's bankruptcy filing. Her debts tell a story of their own. Aside from what she owes on her car and to Clayton, she claims to owe nearly fifty thousand dollars to over twenty creditors that amount includes medical and veterinary debt, credit card accounts, and buy now, pay later accounts. Laura also has a car payment for a car that she obtained in December of twenty twenty four, and discloses ownership of four LLCs. In bankruptcy filings, you also need to disclose your monthly expenses. Laura claims to spend eighteen hundred dollars a month in food and housekeeping supplies. That's more than most people's rent. And that's just part of her total expenses of thirty three hundred dollars a month. But as you heard, in her bankruptcy filing, Laura listed her income as zero dollars. When the DOJ got involved, Laura was forced to answer some tough questions.
Speaker 26: This is it call the Owens case Laura Owens Case twenty five one to one eight zero one.
Speaker 1: Laura Owens was back under oath on February ninth, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 17: So, miss Owens, I'm an attorney with the US Forigner Justice, the US Trustees' Office, and we oversee these bankruptcy cases sort of as.
Speaker 5: A watch job.
Speaker 17: And I had gone through your bankruptcy documents and I just.
Speaker 27: Want to ask you some questions.
Speaker 1: The DOJ attorney, Miss Jennifer Giamo launches straight into some questions that the DOJ wanted answers to.
Speaker 17: So, on Schedule I, it indicates that you had zero income, So no income from way jas or operating a business.
Speaker 27: Correct? Correct? And so for what time period were you saving that you had no income for?
Speaker 7: I mean, I haven't ever in my life had like at ten night nine or two job, but I've really been supported by my family.
Speaker 17: So now in your life, have you received a ten ninety nine or a W two from any business including your own businesses?
Speaker 7: Correct?
Speaker 27: Have you ever.
Speaker 17: Received any kind of tax form like a Schedule K one that indicates that you have certain share of earnings from a partnership or an interest in an entity?
Speaker 7: No, I know that the LLC my name is LLC Business Taxes or follow us. That's whole see Okay, Yeah, but.
Speaker 11: Then I know.
Speaker 1: In this recording you can hear the repeated notifications as new creditors joined the zoom call. But just like in Mike's DVRO renewal hearing, per former Attorney David Jingris is on this call as a quote witness. Laura tries to turn to him for guidance.
Speaker 7: Maybe David could offer some clarification because he helped me answer that question.
Speaker 27: David, Well, let me just type in here. Either mister Ringis represents you or he does not.
Speaker 17: So I'm not comfortable with having mister Ringus step in as your council, you know, so you.
Speaker 27: Know if you know if he's not your council here.
Speaker 17: Unfortunately, no, he cannot be, you know, of advising you.
Speaker 27: On how to answer that.
Speaker 1: One of the debts Miss Giomo asks about is something called cherry Tech. It's a buy now, pay later lender for medical services. If you remember, in the investigation report, the state alleges that Laura purchased hCG from MEDSPA and MEDSPA accepts cherry Tech as a financing option.
Speaker 17: And I see that in your schedules you've listed debt to cherry Tech and that's a lender for Ben's spot.
Speaker 27: Correct.
Speaker 7: Cherry Tech is all under that I used for botox and for like a skin firming treatment that I got. I don't I don't know if they're with but that's that's not what I used it for.
Speaker 3: It was cool.
Speaker 7: Sculpting was for what I used it for. I would provide the place the name of the place that did.
Speaker 3: That as well.
Speaker 17: Okay, So you never obtained any loans from Cherry Tech based on services or products that you purchase from Midspot, not that I'm aware of.
Speaker 7: I mean, I've gone to a lot of places for botox and procedures, but that that's not where I think I did anything for Cherry.
Speaker 1: Okay, Miss Giamo asked Laura the obvious question. If she doesn't have a job, how does she afford to live?
Speaker 27: You added a.
Speaker 17: Line item one eight H for family support for food and living expenses, and you put zero.
Speaker 27: So was that a mistake? Do you receive any kind of family support to pay your expenses? You lovely expenses.
Speaker 7: They just pay them out of their money. I don't like, out of my my parents' pension and social Security. They don't give me money to pay that. They pay it directly.
Speaker 27: So what are they paying directly when you say they pay it?
Speaker 7: Well, I live on their property, so I mean you could technically say they're paying you know, housing.
Speaker 3: And for my food.
Speaker 27: Okay, what about your car payments?
Speaker 7: We share a car, they pay they pay for my car.
Speaker 17: Okay, so they directly because well, you you are the sole owner.
Speaker 7: Of I'm the sole owner, but they're paying for it right now because I can't afford to make the payment.
Speaker 17: Okay, and I'm assuming your parents also pay your car insurance.
Speaker 27: Yes, okay, so you don't pay any bills for your stuff?
Speaker 17: No, and you say that you've never are you saying that you've never earned any income on your own ever?
Speaker 27: Correct? Of how old you get?
Speaker 17: I'm thirty five, so thirty five years, you have never had made any income on your own to pay.
Speaker 27: Your own bills.
Speaker 7: I mean, like I said, at the face of my parents' businesses, So they've you know, paid my living expenses in exchange for me helping them.
Speaker 27: Okay, so that's kind of a compensation for your services then.
Speaker 7: I mean they yeah, I mean I don't take advantage of it.
Speaker 27: But well, you're providing them.
Speaker 17: With services and they're compensating about paying your bills, is what you just said, right?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 17: Well, then you never figure out how you're going to want to disclose that in these schedules, because that is a form of compensation.
Speaker 1: Laura claimed that her parents paid for her life. But here's what's interesting. Four months earlier, Ron Owens and Jan Black also filed for bankruptcy. There's one particular online detective who's been looking into this part of the story, Tiffany Robertson, who goes by Big Tip Dog on social media. She recently retired from a career in the financial services industry and joined the online community investigating Laura Owens.
Speaker 15: Everybody kept saying trust fund baby, She's a trust fund baby. And I started thinking, am radio host, Okay, well he's not Howard Stern right, I'm not sure that she's a trust fund baby, And just on a whim, decided to start looking into using my skill set to look into the family a little deeper, and I think I even shocked myself with what I found.
Speaker 1: Ron Owens and Jan Black filed for Chapter thirteen bankruptcy on August fourteenth, twenty twenty five. Chapter thirteen bankruptcy allows people to keep their home while catching up on mispayments through a court appointed repayment plan. Ron and Jan were severely behind on their mortgage payments. One of their credit card companies had filed a lawsuit over delinquent accounts. Laura's parents agreed to the court ordered payment plan and made the first payment, but after that it appears they failed to continue.
Speaker 15: The mortgage problem they had is that they have two mortgages on their home that they cannot afford. I think it's fourteen thousand, two hundred and thirty two dollars total, But that's a lot of money going out each month, even when you make twenty one thousand dollars a month.
Speaker 1: Twenty one thousand dollars a month, that's what Ron and Jan declared is their monthly income on their bankruptcy filing. They alleged that this income is a combination of their pensions and Social Security, with zero dollars coming in from three LLCs. But because they didn't file their income tax returns and they didn't keep up with their payment plan, their bankruptcy claim was dismissed in January twenty twenty six. That means the filing was dismissed, not the debts, which is not good news for Ron and Jan. They will have to start paying all of their previously paused debts, including their mortgage.
Speaker 15: Tiffany explains, approximately one month after Ron and Jan's bankruptcy was dismissed for lack of compliance, their first mortgage company filed a notice of trustee sale, and that's essentially a notice of foreclosure action. They are going to put the property.
Speaker 7: Up for auction.
Speaker 1: At the time I'm recording this, the Owens family home is in foreclosure. It's scheduled to be sold into public auction on May twenty six, twenty twenty six, on the steps of the Maricopa County Courthouse.
Speaker 15: What we see with Ron and Jan repetitively over time, and I'm going back decades because that's how far I've gone back into their mortgage history. At least we see what appears to be spending habits that make no sense whatsoever.
Speaker 1: Before Ron and Jan filed for bankruptcy, they added their oldest daughter, Sarah and her husband Christian, to the deed and mortgages on the Scottsdale house. Now that the home is in foreclosure, Sarah and Christian are on the hook for any outstanding debt on the home. As for Laura's bankruptcy case, in April twenty twenty six, all parties agreed to dismiss her filing. It's not clear why a dismissal agreement does not automatically discontinue any investigations by the DOJ. It just ends the bankruptcy case and forbids her from filing again within a year, like with her parents. That means she currently owes all of her debts, but the two meetings of creditors where she testified under oath. Those can be used in her upcoming criminal proceedings. Because her bankruptcy filing was dismissed, Laura still owes Clayton around two hundred thousand dollars. I went back to Greg Wodnick to ask him what happens next in a situation like this.
Speaker 5: Most people have jobs.
Speaker 12: That's the easiest and most common way to collect on an obligation. But to my knowledge, Laura does not seem to have regular employment. Pursuing any of the other assets is difficult and maybe impossible, depending on how things are structured and buried in different LLCs and whatnot. Clayton's not interested in elderly horses, and I don't know what other assets she has. Clayton is interested in having the three judgments paid, and it may be very difficult, if not impossible, for that to happen.
Speaker 1: In April twenty twenty six, after Laura's bankruptcy was dismissed. Her former attorney, David Jingris, posted a video on his blog, It's just jingeris this time? No Laura.
Speaker 29: A lot of people don't realize this, but when you file bankruptcy, or whether you do or don't file bankruptcy, courts cannot make people pay money they don't have. In America, we used to have I think I don't even know the history of it. I think in England other countries they had something called debtor's prison.
Speaker 5: So if you incurred a.
Speaker 29: Debt and you refuse to pay it, even if you just didn't have the money because you're broke, they would throw you in jail and basically make you work off your debt. We don't have debtors' prisons in America. If you are ordered to pay a billion dollars to somebody in damages, and if you don't have the money, you're never going to have to pay it. They don't put you in jail. There's no consequence for being broke. So Laura is not going to be paying Clayton anything as a result of her bankruptcy being dismissed. She doesn't have the money to pay him. He's welcome to go chasing after that. He tried to already, so what can you do?
Speaker 3: Nothing?
Speaker 1: Clayton hasn't let it go. He's still holding out hope that he'll get the court ordered repayment from Laura Owens. But this isn't the end of the story. There's one more twist all new tonight.
Speaker 22: Laura Owens could take a plea deal instead of going to trial.
Speaker 30: Thirty five year old Laura Owens back in court, this time discussing a possible plea deal on the table. Americo BA County Attorney's office won't discuss the terms of that plea deal with with US, but during a pre trial conference this morning, Owen's attorney confirm a plea deal has been extended.
Speaker 1: In February twenty twenty six, the state of Arizona offered Laura Owens a plea deal for the fourteen felonies. Accepting the plea would likely mean a more lenient sentence if she admits to guilt on at least some of the charges. The exact terms of the plea aren't public, but I called Clayton to see what he's able to share.
Speaker 3: As a victim.
Speaker 2: I have been told what the plea is and without saying too much, I'll just tell you that I'm not happy with it. For me, what I want to see is Laura Face's prison time.
Speaker 1: It leaves one huge question hanging in the air. Will Laura take responsibility or head to trial and fight to prove her innocence. We've caught you up to the biggest cliffhanger in this entire story, and it's happening in real time. Because that plea deal, it's current at least set to expire the same day this episode comes out Thursday, April thirtieth.
Speaker 2: So with that, I wait, we wait, and judgment time is coming. But as far as what happens to Laura, only time will tell.
Speaker 1: It seems like a black and white decision, But I've been following this story long enough to know somehow Laura always tries to find a way out. We'll let you know what happens on the next and final episode of Love Trapped. TRAT Thank you so much for listening. Please be sure to follow Love Trapped on Apple Podcasts, the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts, and please leave us a review. A five star rating helps others find this show. We're grateful for your support. If you would like to reach out to the Love Trapped team or have a similar story to share, email us at Love Trapped Pod at gmail dot com. That's Love Trapped Pod at gmail dot com. Love Trapped is a production of Glass Podcasts, a division of Glass Entertainment Group, in partnership with iHeart Podcasts. This show was executive produced by Nancy Glass, Andrea Gunning and Ben Fetterman, Written, produced and hosted by me Young. Our story editor is Monique Labord. Producer on this episode is Sidney Gladou. Additional production support from Todd Gans. Our production manager is Kristin Melchiri. For iHeart Podcasts, Ali Perry was our executive producer. Audio editing and mastering by Anna McClain. Additional editing support by Tanner Robbins and Matt Delvecchio. Thank you to our voice actors Leslie Tolly, Todd Gans, and Olivia Hewitt. This podcast was developed in collaboration with Danny Passman and leb Abramoff at Crybaby Media. The Love Trapped theme is composed by Oliver Bains. Music library provided by Mybe Music. A special thanks to Carrie Lieberman Will Pearson Jessica Crincheck, Ali Canter, and the entire iHeart podcast team. And for more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 30: Sh