Speaker 1: Welcome to Creature feature production of iHeartRadio. I'm your host of Many Parasites, Katie Golden. I studied psychology and evolutionary biology, and you know what, folks, this week, my brain, it's poop. I've got a serious case of poop brain. So today I thought we'd talk about what's been on everyone's mind. Poop. Poop is a fact of life. It's a fact of nature, and sometimes it has very interesting evolutionary applications. We're gonna talk about poop as a weapon, poop as medicine, poop as well just poop. Joining me today is actor comedian. She's been in shows like Abby's Hacks Abbot, Elementary, Lucifer, and After Midnight. Frankly speaking, she is overqualified for this show. It is Kima but Pornio.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Wow, thank you so much. Absolutely not overqualified for this particular subject. I'll have to say, I don't think much about poop, and actually when I do it myself, I try to hide it. So, yeah, you know that's where I'm at.
Speaker 1: I do like having the plausible deniability of like just not kind of thinking about what's going on down there when you're on the toilet. Just being like, huh, I'm just sitting here reading the news. Nothing else is happening. It's fine, but you know, sometimes we do have to face poop face poop facts, and in nature, animals are a lot less precious about their poop as we are, Like we have a we definitely have sort of a poop phobia. Remember the whole like Everybody Poop's book that had to be created so children wouldn't feel Catholic shame about pooping.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh my god God, was that actually funded by some Catholics.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I would believe you if it was. If it was, like, you guys caused this problem. My child is scared of pooping. Now the church has to fund this book to make them feel better.
Speaker 1: Jesus forgives you for your dodos. But it is. I think it was made because a lot of kids, I guess we're freaked out about pooping or had a lot of questions about it, and it was a book meant to reassure children that it's normal that stuff is coming out of that end. It's okay. You you are not it's not sinful, it's not it's not uh, you're not sick. There's nothing wrong with you. It's all good.
Speaker 2: Uh And also I get it.
Speaker 1: I guess also to keep kids from asking everyone if they poop, because I suppose that's a problem with children is they'll ask it, like, well, what about my teacher? Does she poop? It's like, yes, she does. Here's a book, here's a pamphlet. You can read all about it.
Speaker 2: That's that's so funny. You're right. I didn't think about that part. Kids just be asking everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, good, they really do. How dare they little jerks? Curious little jerks? So uh, I did when I was having you on the show, is like, oh, we can talk about something really nice, like birds. So let's start with a bird. Oh good, Yeah, we're gonna start with a bird. I'm gonna ease you into the subject. You know. So apparently penguins are fighting vampires. It's finally happening. We've got the ultimate matchup that we've always wanted, penguins the vampire. There's that, isn't there? Okay, there's that new You're you're you're an actors, so you probably know about all the TV shows, every single one. You watch all of them. So like, there's that Penguin show right where it's like the Penguin except serious. Yes, I haven't seen it personally, but is it just me?
Speaker 2: Neither.
Speaker 1: I think it's just about mister penguin before he turns into a man penguin. I'm not actually entirely sure about the penguin batman villain sort of raison dut.
Speaker 2: I don't know much. I can't help you here. All I've heard is that it's if the penguin batman villain was in sopranos. Oh, that's how the show has been described to me.
Speaker 1: You squawking at me, You squawking at me. I don't know here, you I lump all them all.
Speaker 2: I don't think it is.
Speaker 1: It's fine.
Speaker 2: I don't think that is.
Speaker 1: That is it?
Speaker 2: Taxi? When he's looking in the mirror, are you.
Speaker 1: Looking at I think that might be taxi taxi driver?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So penguins are fighting for us. They're fighting vampires in Peru. In Peru, the Pacific coastline is home to the Humboldt penguins. These are little guys. They're only about thirteen pounds or six kilograms, so you know, chihuahua sized. They are, Yes, Yeah, they're very cute. They're black and white with a cute little strap of black that circles their white tummies. I love that. This is maybe my favorite fact of the whole up. In Peru, they are called pajaro nino, which means baby bird, because they waddle like little toddlers. They just like wattle water like a little toddler, little baby.
Speaker 2: Oh isn't that every penguin.
Speaker 1: Sorry, it is every penguin blanket statement, Yeah, it is every penguin. But these, you know, I mean, these ones are in Peru, and so the locals do call them pajaro nino's baby birds because of the water. Yeah, but there are actual baby baby birds. Like the adult penguins look like cute little babies, but they come even smaller when they are actual babies. And in the southern coastline of Peru, actual baby humble penguins have to deal with the relentless attacks of vampires, you know, kid problem. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm just waiting for you, Okay, yeah, what and you keep saying vampires and I can't wait to know what you mean.
Speaker 1: I mean, the common vampire bat it is. Uh, we've actually we talked about vampire bats on the show. I do love vampire bats. I do not want to vilify them. They are typically not very dangerous except for spreading disease. They do sometimes carry disease. They can carry rabies. It's rare, but it can happen. They really don't pose a threat to humans other than the very occasional spread of rabies. But baby penguin is much more vulnerable to a vampire pat bat because it is so small and so feeding on them can weaken them, it can spread disease. So this is not it's not ideal for the baby penguin.
Speaker 2: Of course not. I mean, you know, it's I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that these little penguins guys pick themselves up by their bootstraps, right, like, they can't be expecting handouts to help them with their vampire problem.
Speaker 2: Sure, I guess there's not a like a neighboring town marching in with the fiery torches trying to expel the vampires from the penguin land.
Speaker 1: I would like to see an angry penguin mob like with pitchforks and torches. But they're waddling very slowly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just lighting the whole town. On fire accidentally with their wattle.
Speaker 1: Falling over dropping torches. Yeah, so the parents of these baby penguins are not happy when the little vampire bats do try to drink their blood, and so to defend their chicks from vampires, the penguins shoot poop at them. We've come to the poop section. Yes, yes, yes, it's true. They shoot a bit of a poop cannon situation. The poop is meant to frighten and distract the bats. They will also kick dirt in the bats' faces, which is classic like bully movie, like movie bully moves, just kicking dirt in your face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of those classic.
Speaker 1: Nerd stop drinking my baby's blood, nerd Uh dirt. They do also scream at them, so it's a calm. It's kind of a they're a triple threat. They're pooping, they're screaming, and they're kicking dirt at these little bets.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'd get out of there. That sounds awful. Someone poops that you kick start and the screams in your face, I'm out of there.
Speaker 1: It's a subtle indication that you're not welcome, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, real subtle.
Speaker 1: So they have definitely mastered the poop Ninjitsu. They are able to projectile poop over three feet away, which is over a meter of distance that they're getting to see a meter of air on their poop. I look, I don't want to make this like a contest, but I don't think I could do that. I think it would require some very severe food poisoning to make that even you know, remotely possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah I could. I certainly could never. But you know what, as I have a large fear of speaking on my own poop. But if I could do that, maybe I would talk about it more.
Speaker 1: I think it would be impressive enough that you'd have to You would have to share that, have to tell everyone. It would be selfish of you to hide that talent, you know. Yeah, I wonder how much, Like because the Guinness Book of World Records, like I don't read it, you know, Like I think I read it once when I was a kid, and you know it's because like, ah.
Speaker 2: Look that's more than everyone. Yeah, no one's read it.
Speaker 1: No one.
Speaker 2: You just kind of flip through it.
Speaker 1: I okay, so I did flip through it. There was the guy with a bunch of snails on his face. There's the lady with the really long fingernails. There's got to be poop stuff though I don't remember it, and maybe they'd maybe they're trying to be a classy organization, but like longest long distance pooping seems like it should be a record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, someone's done it and has called Guinness and been like, do you want this? I just did this. Do you want this for your book? They're like no, please, yeah, please lose our number.
Speaker 1: No yeah, I see. So that's that's why I never got into the Guinness Book of World Records noted so uh oh it was you. Well, what can I say? I do admire these penguins the and as do scientists, apparently because they have been studied. The humble penguin shooting ability has been researched by Professor Hiroyuki Tajima's lab at the Department of Natural Science at Kochi University in Japan. Uh. They created one of the best diagrams in the history of scientific papers. It's incredible. I've sent it to you, Kimya. It's I love this so much, and like this is literally from their research paper. This is not edited.
Speaker 2: This Yeah, it's uh, it's really good. I I bet that we have the same favorite part, which is that he looks like he's sweating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they put sweat. They put a little sweat indicators. So it's a cartoon penguin, very simple, basically, just an oval with some triangles on it, and uh, the coloration that in an eye so that you can see it as appears he has three little sweat What would you call those sweat droplets to indicate streets droplets? Yes, sweat. It is to kind of pictorially indicate effort. And then a whole bunch of numbers and like a box that's sort of in the I would say the butt region like the bowel area region that I would reach it. I would also say that we concur on that, and so it is. And then there's some math, so I'm not yeah math person who does or understands math, I stay the hell away from it. So it does appear to be an equation that is calculating the pressure of certain substances that would occur within this area inside the penguin that would be forced out of a small aperture that is known in birds as the cloaca.
Speaker 2: That's lovely that they put this to illustrate I'm assuming a lot of good scientific text is nearby, and then just this silly little clip art photo.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic, It is so fantastic. They did calculate some They did some calculation. I'll link to the research paper in the show notes, so you if you're out there and you're like, oh, I really do want to see the equations that they use to calculate the amount of pressure this poop is under in these penguins, you can look at that to your heart's content, you little freaks.
Speaker 2: But you know what, you freaks can actually apply this to your own bodies and perhaps finally make it into the Guinness Book of World Records. Final can do the math and do this in your own body.
Speaker 1: And I thought you're heroes, and I thought math had no practical application. I scoffed it.
Speaker 2: Wow, we found it.
Speaker 1: We found it. I use for math.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: So they are able to indeed shoot their poop with enormous amounts of pressure, apparently surprising amounts of pressure. It's in some kind of unit of measurement that frankly means nothing to me. But the I'll just say that the study authors said they were surprised at the amount of pressure. Yeah, that it was more than they expected would come out of this little penguin, which is interesting.
Speaker 2: Probably like a paintball gun, you know, yeah, I think that wouldn't hurt so much, but then you're left with a bruise. Yeah, just bruising These vampire bats. Yeah, they're paintball poop.
Speaker 1: And that must suck. I also read that it does sometimes get on the chicks, right, because they're like, they're they're just kind of rat tat tatten at those vampire bats. So there's gonna be some friendly fine.
Speaker 2: How well can you aim backwards? Right?
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly. It's hard. It's like, you know, it's like that that thing where it's like gene Kelly had to dance, but then what's her name had to dance backwards and heels. It's shooting poop backwards, and as a penguin, it's different heels and heels. Yeah. But so the reason they are able to expel feces at such a velocity is that they they roost in nesting areas. So if they're all pooping kind of like in the nests, it's gonna get real stinky, real quick. And they don't want that. They do like to have a clean nesting site. So it is speculated that this high velocity pooping was meant to keep their nesting areas clean. But it can be used in dire circumstances as a weapon, and so then they will shoot it at predators, at anything trying to steal their eggs or hassle their chicks, including these vampire bats. So I would like to see a version of Van Helsing where he does poop at Dracula.
Speaker 2: I think you're onto something. What Hollywood needs this? Yeah, don't we? What do we? They said the movies are dead? Wait till they see this.
Speaker 1: Well, Disney loves an animal sidekick. They shoehorn in an animal sidekick wherever they can, you know, So like I think, like I think that this would be good for a Van Helsing Disney movie version where it's like Van Helsing and his adorable penguin sidekick and they go vampire hunting together as a team.
Speaker 2: That's perfect. Disney hasn't tackled the Dracula tales yet, but you know they do all other classic novels. Why haven't they. Let's not come in on a Dracula.
Speaker 1: The Adam Sandler one. That's just that's not Disney. The Transylvania Hotel with the goth girl and Shaggy from Scooby Doo That that's that's not Yeah. No, Disney hasn't really touched the whole vampire thing. Cowards.
Speaker 2: I think something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've because we've done hot sexy vampires a lot. Like we've done a lot of hot sexy vampires, but we haven't done like vampires that get pooped.
Speaker 2: On, pooped on, Yeah, pooped done va. We haven't done pooped on. Yeah, we've done.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think I think it's time. I do think it's time. Well, Uh, with that, we're gonna take a really quick break and when we come back, it's more poop folks, not gonna lie to you, it's just it's gonna be more pooped. So if you don't like it, I'm sorry. It's just the whole episode is. So we'll be right back. So we're back, Kim yo, how do you How do you feel about snakes? Uh?
Speaker 2: I'm actually okay about snakes. I know a lot of people are just generally freaked by them. Yeah, I heard it has something to do with how our human biology and brain doesn't get how a snake moves because it's just one slithery muscle, So you're just kind of freaked out by the mystery of that thing existing. And maybe it's an inherent natural fear we have of them. But I'm cool with them. I think they're cool.
Speaker 1: I agree, I'm cool with them. I like them. They do move in a way that's a little ooky, but I find that interesting and cool. We also, it is true that we have an instinctive reaction to snakes. We also have it too spiders. There's some theories that this is kind of like a natural instinct that we have where basically, there are snakes that are venomous and so avoiding them is good for us for our health. But there are plenty of snakes who are not venomous and pose absolutely no risk to us. And one of these snakes is the dice snake in North Macedonia. Uh. They are uh not killers except to fish and on the on the stage, they're really killing it on the stage. Kimya, what these snakes are? These snakes are method actors. They're the Daniel day Lewis is, They're the Woking Phomix that's not his name.
Speaker 2: Walking phoenixxis.
Speaker 1: Quoqum femips.
Speaker 2: That's one of the snake's stage names.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, uh so they do you say dice snake, dice snake, Yes, exactly like.
Speaker 2: The wow so like dice, like.
Speaker 1: Like gambling, Yes, like snake eyes. I didn't even think of that, Jeu, look at that. I'm really, I really am the frame dead that I did not. I did not think about that.
Speaker 2: It was just not even a jump, just a bit of a step to the side.
Speaker 1: And yet I and yet I found myself incapable.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's okay, I'm here, thank you, thank you, buddy.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, these are sweet snakes. They're olive green, they are non venomous, and they eat fish. So they're essentially just kiddy cats but tubes, little cat tubes. Uh. And so given that they don't have venom, they rely instead on their incredible acting skills. Can you relate to this, Kimmia.
Speaker 2: Uh No, because when I'm put in danger, I don't think to access my acting skills. I just cower and cry. So no, not relatable. Good for them, though, you know.
Speaker 1: In a way, you are also like these snakes because the thing that they do in their acting is that they play dead and they really really really commit to it in a way that is impressive. They go completely limp. They will sometimes excrete blood out of their mouths and they pup themselves.
Speaker 2: Oh man, yeah, you know, he's what a way to do that.
Speaker 1: There, it's there. The thing is kemya that dignity doesn't mean anything if you're dead. So if you're a snake, you know, and it's between continuing on being a snake versus maybe pooping yourself. You gotta choose pooping yourself every time.
Speaker 2: I guess when you put it that way, it makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: It's very convincing, isn't it. So these snakes are hunted mainly by birds of prey raptors, and so they have developed the strategy because it's interesting because this playing dead thing does seem to work against predators. You would think that the predator would be like, ah, sick, they did my job for them. But actually predators, when an animal like suddenly goes limp or plays dead, it can freak them out because a lot of predators maybe are not scavengers. They don't necessarily want to eat something that's already dead, particularly if something is like seems to have died in a way that is not good and yes, gross, like pooping themselves, getting musk all over themselves, blood coming out of their mouths. They're like, ah, this thing, there's something wrong with you. You're not. Yeah, It's like if your Hamburger started screaming, it'd be like, oh, well, goodness, I wasn't expecting that. Yeah, so's yeah, so I do. Okay. I love researchers, and I love biology researchers and their wacky zany experiments. It is so weird what we do to animals, though, Like sometimes these studies are It's not I wouldn't call this cruel. It's just it's just strange. It's people playing around with limp snakes. So this study is.
Speaker 2: Say less, Yeah, that's strange, right.
Speaker 1: A study called Synergistic effects of musking and autohimorrhaging on the duration of death, fading and dice snakes, which is kind of a way of saying the effects of snakes poopen and bleeding while they're method acting. This was conducted at the University of Belgrade. This is reported in the New York Times. Asher Elbein did it write up about it. But this study found that dice snakes seemed to try to optimize the amount of time they spent pretending to be dead, because there's a there's a trade off there in terms of like evolutionary strategy. If you dead when you're caught, that might give you some more time as the predators like wait, what happened just now? But sometimes the predators is gonna be like, great, this is a lot easier to eat now, and we'll try to chomp down on you. So being able to minimize the amount of time you're playing dead while maximizing the effect of shocking the predator and then being able to then get away once you're done playing dead is sort of the goal there. And so they found that the snakes that would poop themselves generally spent less time playing dead. So the ideas that pooping themselves is a strategy that is more likely to offend the predator and turn them off of the whole the whole idea of eating them got it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Wow, So just blood out of your mouth is not enough to stop somebody from eating.
Speaker 1: You, apparently not. Apparently, you got to go. It's got to come out of both ends.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, you know, they're just using everything they've got acting teachers, right, they say use it all, and they're using it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I took one acting class once. I wasn't very good, but I think that there was a certain amount of like, hey, listen, you can't have dignity. You got it, you gotta fully release and fully go for it. And I think that what my teacher was trying to tell me is that I should poop my pants. And I was. I'm very confused why that was a problem.
Speaker 2: Wow, now that you say it like that and I'm hearing it for the first time with new ears and knowing now about the dice snake, I think next time I'm working a project, you guys are going to see something really special.
Speaker 1: You get no spoilers, no spoilet.
Speaker 2: No spoilers, no spoilers.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, so uh the way that they did the study was really fantastic. Uh. They would gently squeeze the snakes because like again, they didn't want to be cruel, they didn't want to hurt the snakes, but they wanted the snakes. They wanted to trigger the snakes thanatosis response, that's the playing dead response. So they would just like gently squeeze the snakes. They would kind of like lay the snakes out sort of like Plato and then like squeeze it. Like basically they gave these snakes a massage, and the snakes are like, well, I guess I'm gonna be killed because nobody ever bothers to massage a snake. So to a snake that's like, well, no, guy, I know right. Like they thought they were doomed and instead they were just getting a free massage.
Speaker 2: At the SPA yeah, spot for snakes.
Speaker 1: Or little snaky guys. Apparently some of the snakes would go so limp that the research assistance would like be able to like arrange them in like a heart shape. I don't know why they did that. Guys, stop goofing around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's science. You're doing science. No for goofing.
Speaker 1: Be very serious about this, and don't make little shapes with snakes in the lab. That's that's you're goofing off too much. We see that. We all see that, and you need to stop it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't spell your name out of limp snakes. I can't tell you back to work.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you how many times I was told that when I worked as a lab technician. Stop spelling stuff out of this is not Charlotte's web. If you say, like marvelous snakes spelled out of the snakes, we know it was you. We know, we know.
Speaker 2: Back to work. We all know.
Speaker 1: Get back to work. All right, We're gonna take a quick break, and Keny, can you guess what's happening after the break.
Speaker 2: I would assume it's more poop?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you're so right incredible. How did you see that coming listening? That is amazing. You really are. So when we come back, we're talking about more poop. Everybody, yay poop. We all love it. We'll be back. So I did talk earlier in the show about how everyone poops, and if if you think about it, so to bees, so to little bumble bees, they poop as well.
Speaker 2: I guess if I think about it, if if you really think about it would look like.
Speaker 1: It's actually bright yellow usually because of all the pollens.
Speaker 2: So oh yeah makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not not not a joke. But bumble bees, what's your what's your feeling on bumble bees?
Speaker 2: A gosh, the first thing that came to mind was save the bees. So I guess I'm brainwashed. It's working.
Speaker 1: It's working. Everyone it's working.
Speaker 2: It's working. The bees got me the best.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Next, I guess I think I love honey And then third, I think, what are they doing around my swimming pool? Always just constantly near my swimming pool.
Speaker 1: Delicious, delicious water. But yeah, they it's a bit of a bumbly goof when they get into the water. But they're like, oh nice, this will be cool to drink, and then ah, it's chlorinated, and then oh no, now I'm in a pool, so they should stay out of there. But bumblebees, to be clear, bumblebees don't really are not the same as honey bees in terms of they're not generally producing us the delicious honey that we consume. But bumble bees are and they're incredible pollinators, and they're sweet, and they're bumbly and they're fuzzy and they fly kind of like they're drunk, which I always do love to watch them because they kind of like they are. The name is very fitting. They're very fat, and they sort of you know, go hither and thither bumbling, they bonk into flowers. It's really cute. Yeah, but sometimes they have to deal with parasites, as do we all. So uh, Crithidia bombie is a protozoan. It's a single celled parasite that can infect bumblebee uh, the bumblebee gut and make them sick. So bumble bees seem to have a solution and that is eating sunflower pollen. And researchers were curious as to why eating the sunflower pollen seemed to help rid the bumble bees of the parasite. They looked into all sorts of things about gut biomes possible, like medical effects that the sunflower pollen had, like some kind of fancy things because a lot of plants, like the plant defense chemicals that they use, we and other animals can use as sort of a medicine. And so the uh, this was answered in the paper sunflower pollen induces a rabid excretion in bubble bees Implications for host pathogen interactions, which is, you know, science lingo for the bumblebee, uh poop, they poop a lot, they poop out the parasite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they're just pumping their own stomachs like this.
Speaker 1: Essentially, Yes, yes, it is like a laxative. They're they're having a laxative and then like getting on their little tiny b porcelain thrones and just you know, clinging on for dear life.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, uh oh man, I guess that's really resourceful of them to know even that that pollen makes you. I guess who's the first little bumblebee that accidentally went up on that sunflower and then had a terrible evening?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I think it's It is interesting because it seems to be probably just some kind of instinct right where if you feel kind of sick, or maybe they just generally will occasionally ingest this sunflower pollen. But either way, they have this relationship with the sunflowers where they are able to pollinate it, but they also get this nice sort of medicinal effect of just pooping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a whole.
Speaker 1: Lot off there of the paper, Jonathan Jackomini told Elizabeth Anne Brown of National Geographic quote, sunflower pollen makes bumblebees pooh a whole lot. And I know that's a lot of science jargon, but essentially that means that bubble bees make hella doodoo when they eat sunflowers.
Speaker 2: Thanks for breaking that down for us.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. That's my job. I want to make science accessible to people. Ah to measure the doo dooo. Thess Jacomini and his team used the fact that it that be poop fluoresces under UV light, so they can shine u V light and measure the amount of bee poopoo after they eat the sunflower pollen, and noted that, yes, indeed, eating sunflower pollen does make the bees dodo a lot more. It's science, kimme, wow, yeah, it is science.
Speaker 2: Behold you know what, they're little their little plump guys. Do you think there's any of them out there sort of just overdoing it on the sunflower pollen. You know, a little skinty bees.
Speaker 1: Like who hasn't overindulged in sunflower uh pollen every so often? I certainly have so the so jacko Omini also told National Geographic about the glowing fluorescing bee poop quote, it was very dazzling. It almost looked like a galaxy. And I mean, calm down, calm down, man, it's bee poop.
Speaker 2: Calm down, man, calm down. Almost looked like a galaxy.
Speaker 1: You're right, Wow, it looks like a galaxy, a galaxy of bee doodoo.
Speaker 2: Get him out of there, Get that guy out of there.
Speaker 1: I just I have outside. He does need to go outside. I just I do love. You can tell the dedication that these researchers have to their subjects where they're like, I see galaxies in the beefy ss. Yeah, you know, it's beautiful in a way. I wish I could look at the world with those sorts of eyes where I see galaxies in my dog poop. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess maybe if it was glowing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. More likely too, I got a feeder more like fluorescent substances glow sticks. Glow sticks do not for legal reasons, I must stay. Do not feed your pets glow sticks. That's bad for them and it won't do anything. It's gonna that's not gonna make their poop glow. But if it did, that would be nice for when I take my dog out at night and I have to clean up her little doodoos and I don't know where the dodo is and I'm looking for the doo, I know, especially when she did it like problem when it's in the grass and you're like looking around, You're like, oh, where did you go? Where did you go?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: If that poop was glowing, make my job a whole lot easier, I tell you, be so easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I won't. I won't feed my dog a glow stick. You said not to thing, I won't.
Speaker 1: That's really good everyone listening, Uh, you know, follow Kimya's example, which is, don't feed your pets glow sticks, no matter how much do you think it might make they're pooh glow. It's not a good idea. No, So, before we go, this is a this is a short and sweet episode. I think. I think that's good for all of our tender and poop mushy brains right now. A good a good, shortened, sweet episode about poop. So but before we go, we do want to play a little game called the Mister Animal Sound Game. Guests, Who's squawking? Every week I play Mister Animal Sound, and you the listener, and you the gifts try to guess who is squawking. Last week's Mister Animal Sound hint was this. It's creepy, it's crawly, it hails from Madagascar, and it does not like to be poked. All right, Kimmy, did you hear that little noise?
Speaker 2: I did? I heard it?
Speaker 1: You got any, guests?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah? And so the hint was about this noise? Yeah? Also, okay, wait, it makes me think it's one of those freaky, big old cockroaches.
Speaker 1: Kimy, You're absolutely right, you are so correct. I got it. It is a Madagascar hissing cockroach.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: It is fantastic job. Your prize is a whole box of them that I'm sending down.
Speaker 2: No, no, you can get send it to the listeners.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm generous.
Speaker 1: You get a cotroach, you get a hissing cockroach. Everybody gets a hissing cockroach. Oh gosh, congratulations to Grant W, Joey P, and Emily M. I'm feeling extra generous this week because so many people got the answer right. So here's a few more winners. William H. Maxwell, d Anna L and Young listener panel congratulations everyone. Good ear. So these guys don't have wings. They cannot fly away to evade predators, so when they are disturbed, they force air out of their spiracles. Spiracles are tiny holes all over their little insecty bodies that they use to breathe. Basically, they're like a roach flute, you know, like a roachock arena.
Speaker 2: Maybe that way, I guess I kind of like that, But.
Speaker 1: Your expression does sort of get across the idea that you really do like the idea of a roachok arena.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, bugs aren't my thing, but I do like flutes. Go.
Speaker 1: Look, if you like wind instruments, you should like hissing cockroaches, is what I'm saying. So male hissing cockroaches have horns that they actually used to fight other males and territorial and mating disputes. The victor usually hisses more than the loser, so it's thought that the vocalizations are a sign of dominance, which makes sense. I also hiss a lot when I'm winning an argument.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: It really kind of like if I'm trying to convince you of something, if I'm talking politics, I just start hissing.
Speaker 2: And that's that's how I know you're winning right out of my sp Yeah, yes, you have so many holes in your face. I really do look at it right now.
Speaker 1: And they all sort of just and they and they all just kind of like start feeding out air, and I make a horrible whistling sound, and I think that is that is sort of my koop de grass. When I'm trying to win an argument. It works very well. I I know, I know. Thanksgiving is well actually, you know it might be this week. I don't know. I don't really keep track of Thanksgiving. But you've got a lot of arguments, probably with your family. Yeah, you know, shove air out of your spiracles is my advice.
Speaker 2: And my advice is, if you feel as though you might begin to lose this argument, just squeeze blood out of your mouth and poop yourself. Ah.
Speaker 1: That's also a really good argument technique. I learned that in debate club and it's really effective. It's really really effective. It's, you know, an add poopin em sort of technique, and it is it is good. Yeah, I don't know enough I was. I didn't ever do debates, so I don't know any other debate terminology.
Speaker 2: I didn't either. Yeah, so I can't help on this one. I can't help.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They just talk really fast and I can't do that.
Speaker 2: So that's what it is. You just confuse them, Yes, confusing the other person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like as hissing or pooping or bleeding out of your mouth, all of those things will help you in debate club for sure.
Speaker 2: Are all right?
Speaker 1: Onto this week's mystery animal sound the guest. The guess is this who's a stripey little baby. All right, Kimmy, you got any guesses?
Speaker 2: Whoa? Uh, I don't know what is that? A like a type of a hyena?
Speaker 1: Hi is an excellent guess. It's wrong though, so uh you won't be getting sent a crate full of hyaenas sadly for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fine.
Speaker 1: Also, Kimmy, thank you so much for coming on the show today. You are a delight PRACTU tell the people where they can find you. Keep it under ten seconds of those I'm kidding.
Speaker 2: I'm kidding. Oh my god, it's gonna be that sure. Anyway, it's gonna be short. You can just find me on Instagram at child Clown. That'll have all the info you need.
Speaker 1: Nah, but I'm Joe because Keimya has done an enormous amount of projects. It makes me tired just looking at all the things that you do.
Speaker 2: So I guess you could google me if you want to get tired, you could check out what I've done.
Speaker 1: You've I One of the reasons I had you on is you just like I was just on YouTube minding my own business when you popped up do an awesome improvisational comedy.
Speaker 2: Uh so oh, you might have seen some dropout. Com Yeah, some dropout probably what it was that is?
Speaker 1: Yes, so you're doing an improv, you're doing acting, you're doing comedy, You're doing so many podcasts, and I feel lucky that to be one of the podcasts you have come on. So thank you so much.
Speaker 2: This is so much fun. I love to learn from you.
Speaker 1: So thank you for having me fantastic surprise your friends with poop facts at dinner party. Yes, like next time they serve you chilly if you like, you want to learn some poop facts. It's a great, great way to make friends and influence people. So thank you. Thank you guys so much for listening. I really really hope you're all doing okay. I know that this is not the most fun of times. To put it mildly, I'm right there with you, but I really do hope you're all doing all right. Thank you so much for listening, and thanks to the Space Cossacks for their super awesome song. Exolumina Creature features a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts like the one you just heard, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or Hey gus, what wherever you listen to your favorite shows? I do not judge you. I'm not your mother, but I will tell you that if you do push air out of your spiracles, remember to breathe. It's important. See you next Wednesday.