Speaker 1: We know ADHD doesn't just affect boys. We know ADHD doesn't just affect children. We know ADHD is so much more than just focus. Instead of looking at it as a personality flaw, this is looking at it as a neurological phenomenon.
Speaker 2: Doctor Sasha Hamdani is a board certified psychiatrist and ADHD clinical specialist. She's known for breaking down ADHD in a way that's relatable, science back and so easy to understand. She shares practical tools for managing focus, emotional regulation, and daily life with ADHD. How does emotional regulation differ in ADHD?
Speaker 1: How much time do you have? So? ADHD is broken into three different types. There is inattentive, hyperactive, and then combined type, which is a combination of the two. In general, females typically present as inattentive, and typically males it's more of this hyperactive or combined type presentation. Instead of constantly turning it inwards and having to carry it and have it be like this huge burden, you can start to reframe it and start to work with it and it can be an incredible strength.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Really Good Cry podcast. A Really Good Cry is here to help you understand your body, feel confident in your skin, manage your emotions, and take back control of your health. Because growth doesn't always start with answers. Sometimes it starts with a really good cry. Sasha, thank you so much for being here. I actually such a huge fan. I've been a binge watching your content on Instagram and I just want to say that you are someone who articulates yourself so beautifully, and you've really helped me to understand my mind so much better and feel so much more comfortable about who I am with my ADHD. So, first of all, thank you, and I'm so happy to tease your brain. This is basically a personal podcast for me.
Speaker 1: I love it. Yeah, I'm here for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So let's get into it. I want to start off by just asking you, because we hear the word ADHD all the time. It's thrown around left, right, and center. But can you explain to us in a simple wint what is adhd.
Speaker 1: ADHD at its base is a neurobiological condition, a neurodevelopmental condition, which means it came on from birth and it's kind of been progressing through. That's what it is in the conventional diagnostic criteria. But to me it feels more like a regulation issue. It's a regulation issue with attention, with emotions, with energy, with sleep, with appetite. It kind of touches everything.
Speaker 2: Can it also be triggered like later on in life or is it something that if you're born with it, you just have it?
Speaker 1: So what the science shows right now is a huge proportion of that is genetic. Now, what you see a lot of times is that people have it but it becomes unmasked later in life by something bigger, like a hormonal shift can happen and then all of a sudden things get really bad. So it might be that you've had it this whole time, but there's certain events in life that exacerbate it. You can have that with hormonal shifts, you can have it with trauma, you can have it with underlying psychiatric things. You can have it with stress. So there are things that bring it to the forefront for sure.
Speaker 2: Okay, but generally you'd say that genetically, you've already kind of got the gene for as it runs in. What do you think is the biggest misconception that people have around ADHD?
Speaker 1: So I think one of the biggest ones is that it only happens in males. People think, like for a long even when I was trained in medical school, it was kind of ADHD was considered something that hyper young boys have. It doesn't show up in adults. It doesn't show up in females, absolutely not. And so a lot of times it just, you know, as medicine progressed and as you go through training and you see, like practitioners were like, you know, it'll go away in adulthood, so we don't need to do anything with it, And that has kind of been something that people have had to pull apart and dismantle because it's so obvious that it persists in adulthood.
Speaker 2: Is there a difference in the type of symptoms I don't call that, but the type of characteristics that you have when you're a child with ADHD versus an adult.
Speaker 1: Yes. I think a lot of times more of those hyperactive symptoms, like the physical impulsivity and the verbal impulsivity. A lot of times that goes and you see more of the inattentive symptoms. I don't think necessarily that they go away, though. I think you just you just get good at hiding them. You know.
Speaker 2: One thing I always struggled with was this idea of differentiating between being someone who's distracted or undisciplined versus someone with ADHD. How can you differentiate between the two And is it possible for someone with ADHD to be those things disciplined and focused and attentive. Yes, yeah, yes.
Speaker 1: I think what's difficult is that, you know, when you look at characteristics of adh and this is why it's so important to if possible, get a diagnosis from someone who is a medical professional who can tease this apart. Is everybody deals with distractability, everybody deals with issues with maintaining focus. Those are things that are part of the human conditions, especially since the invention of a phone like this is something that we see all the time. But with ADHD, it is more persistent, it is more disordered in that it's harder to get from point A to point B, so much so that it becomes debilitating to the person at times. For people with ADHD, you can also see incredible amounts of focus. You can see incredible amounts of discipline, especially if that's something new to their nervous system or interesting, and that's you know, people describe that as hyper focus, where it's almost like it's the opposite problem where it's you're not distractable or having difficulty engaging, you're overly engaged. Now it's hard to pull you out of it. And that's part of why I'm saying for a lot of ADHD, it seems like a regulation issue.
Speaker 2: One of the main symptoms that you notice in people with add like, what are the typical ones that you see coming into the room.
Speaker 1: So ADHD is broken into three different types. There is inattentive, hyperactive, and then combined type, which is a combination of the two. So inattentive is like think about it, like the day dreamers. So difficulty starting tests, difficulty I'm staying engaged in tasks, difficulty completing task difficulty was forgetfulness difficult in general with maintaining attention and focus. When you have the hyperactive side of things, you're looking more at the physical and verbal impulsivity. So these are the people that are constantly fidgeting or have difficulty staying still in their chair. You know, their brain is moving so fast that they're blurting out things, or they're having difficulty participating in the conversation. And then combined type is obviously a combination of the two, So you can see differences in all of those presentations. But I would say that in general, females typically present as inattentive and typically males when they present it's more of this hyperactive or combined type presentation.
Speaker 2: And are they different ways to manage both of those? Like do you have different recommendations for the person who can't complete things versus the person who's overactive.
Speaker 1: Rather than being broken down into type, it's so individualized for the person, Like you really have to have a good understanding of like you know when you treat a a lot of people. This is another misconception. A lot of people think that the answer is always medication. Yes, if you have ADHD, you have to be on medication, which isn't true. Like, if you have ADHD, there's a huge part of it that if you understand how your brain works and you are lucky enough to be able to optimize your environment, you're gonna have a much better time at managing it without medication. Now, there's some people that do need medication, And I have been in a place where I have needed medication. For med school, for sure, I needed medication. So there are people that fall into different needs based on their symptoms and based on where they are in life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for me, I noticed that I had all these things which the things that you mentioned, like I wasn't able to complete things. I was struggling to stay disciplined. My focus would be there for things I'm really excited about, and then dwindled with things that I had absolutely no interest in. But one thing, and I didn't really know I had ADHD at the time, or hadn't really put a name to it. But what it pushed me to do was try and create more structure in my life. Like I felt like I was thinking of it as each individual issue. So Okay, if I'm struggling to stay discipline, what does that mean? That means I need to create more structure in my life to be able to at least have a guide of where I'm supposed to be going in the day, because otherwise, if I'm going from thing to thing to think, I my mind won't even know where the direction, what direction I'm supposed to be going in. And so structure made sense for the discipline, having like specific core things in my day that were anchors that really helped. So, Okay, I'm going to be having breakfast at this time, I'm going to be having lunch at this time, you know, whether it's around meals, whether it's around workouts. Having those core things in my day really helped me. And then understanding the fact that my mind, you know, in conversation and even when I'm doing things, will go from thing to thing to thing to things, and then I'll forget to go back to the first thing. So now it's the idea of like, Okay, let me complete this one thing, then move on to the next. And if I do move on, let me write it down just to remind myself of what I need to go back to. And so I completely agree. I think when you when you understand it able to create systems. Yeah, you might not feel like you're the most optimized person in that area, but I don't think it necessarily has to be seen as something that is holding you back. But I think ADHD has aided my creativity so much, Yeah, because it's allowed my mind to wonder and think in ways that I maybe wouldn't have if I didn't have it, if my brain didn't go from one thing to another to another. Yeah, And so I wonder you know, your advice to people who feel like these these parts of them are holding them back, or that they hear that they've got ADHD and they think, oh my gosh, like this is awful. Does that mean I'm just stuck with this for life?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: What would you say to someone who feels that way, because it can be quite disheartening.
Speaker 1: I completely agree, and I completely agree, and I've personally felt that way, and I think it I think what is such a nice thing about ADG is that it does come with positives. I think, you know, I've heard a lot about people calling ADG is superpower and being able to like really harness it, and I like, I understand the theory behind it and reframing it as this incredible thing, and I think there are incredible attributes of it. To me, that felt a little bit disheartening because I'm like, there are times where it definitely doesn't feel like a superpower to me, and so I feel like that was a little bit limiting. And so where I got to is I think viewing ADHD in more of a realistic view, like their positives and their negatives, and it's just how what you make of it. And I think one of the most exciting things about ADHD is that your brain is so adaptable and open to change, and so like I think that people with ADHD are naturally more inclined to be creative and think out of the box, and so there is incredible opportunity to use these things. But sometimes in looking at some of those things that you viewed as negatives, by just finding ways to have again that flexible structure, you can really optimize and so that you can really lean into those things that you enjoy and get a lot of value from that.
Speaker 2: You will keep mentioning that you see ADHD as a regulation issue, What do you mean by that? Could you expand on it a little bit?
Speaker 1: So I think that looking at ADHD just as an attention or a focus problem is way too narrow, because I think anybody who has it or think they have it, I think they can immediately tell you, like, that's not all there is for me. Like for me, I felt like, especially in twenty twenty four, my dad passed and thank you, but it's like my entire brain and world fell apart, and I was like, I know that this is grief. I know that there is a part of it, But like I think, because every single day I'm kind of working on building that kind of scaffolding for myself to get through the day. When I am dealing with something as huge as like that emotional cascade that was happening, that's the thing that takes me out. So I think that with a regulation issue, you're looking at all of the parts of ADC. You're not just looking at the regulation issues when it comes to attention and focus, but you're looking at how it relates to emotion, and you're looking how it released to sleep, and you're looking a how it released energy and appetite. And I think that when people start because I think that's a huge, huge limitation with the DSM. How we diagnose it right now, it's just so narrow and so you miss it. And you know who we miss it in is women. Yeah, with un the case, we miss it in women. So these women are going to get misdiagnosed with anxiety and depression and bipolar and borderline and that's going to continue on till the end of time unless we just change it.
Speaker 2: Do you think people need to get a formal diagnosis or do you think from specific symptoms they can really know whether they have or whether they've got it or not.
Speaker 1: So with this answer. I think it is tricky because you first have to understand like what a barrier there is in terms of acts us in care, Like it's so hard to get a good diagnosis, and I don't think that there has been a stream flined way of doing that so far, and that's another huge, huge issue. But I think that a formal diagnosis is really really important for many reasons. But one of them is I think it's hard. I think when you're looking at things like on social media, Like I've had patients come to me and they're like, I really think I have ADHD, And I'm like, why do you think that? Yeah, And they said, well, I saw this one video, and I'm like, show it to me, show me the video, and then we go through that and we talk about and I think that there's incredible value in looking at like for social media. That's part of the reason why I'm on social media is because I want to provide information and help people explain their own internal environment. So I think there's value in that. But then of those people that come into my office, they show me that video, I think I have ADHD. We go through the symptoms, we go through all of the remaining symptoms of ADHD. But then we screen for thyroid disorder, or we screen for PTSD, or we scream for like just I you know, just a few weeks ago, I had someone that I screamed and I'm like, you are anemic, that's what's scarsing this. Oh, So like you know, you get, you get all of these different pieces of information, And I think it's important to have someone who cannot only look at the ADHD symptoms and rule them in, but rule out all the other things that could be playing a role.
Speaker 2: That's so true because so many of the symptoms are things that could be from nutrient deficiencies like you said, or maybe I was just exhausted and you have been sleeping really well, and so yeah, you're forgetting a few things, or you're not able to concentrate. I mean I literally just had a late night the other day. I was out way later than I normally am, and the next day I felt like I had a sleep hangover. I was not able to concentrate. No, and I'm I don't think it's my ADAD. I'm pretty sure this is the sleep. Yeah, But it's so true. Foggy mind can come from so many different things totally. I'd love to get into some of the typical characteristics that I feel I have but I've heard that are part of ADHD. The first one is time blindness or time perception. Yes, tell me a little bit about that, because I used to think I was just a really late person. But actually, when I heard this, I felt so understood, because I honestly believe, genuinely believe, when I'm about to leave for someone, I have enough time to finish a whole other project, and I am fully ready, I'm like ready in my clothes. I'm in fact, I'm early. And then my mind says, no, you've got time to write another podcast episode, and I absolutely don't, but my mind will tell me I do, and then somehow I'm just late again, and then three hours go by. Yeah, so please explain this to me.
Speaker 1: I think time blindness is it's like a convergence of lots of different things happening. I think one of them is that, you know, with fluctuating focus and things like that, it's really easy to lose track of time because you don't have a normal litmss of what time should feel like. When you're interested in something, three hours can feel like one minute, and when you're bored with something, one minute can feel like three hours. So it just it's almost like this interest based nervous system. Your nervous system figures out and attributes time to certain things, which is not like a sixty seconds is one minute. So the way you appreciate time is really dependent on how interested you are in the thing. So that is part of time blindness as a whole. And that's why you know, you know, looking at having reminders for me, And this is outrageous that I do this because I only discover this after having kids, But I like visually looking at time passing, Like I have timers that are like a certain amount of time passes that I can like see it on the clock. I don't have to calculate and look at math. I can like see how much time is passing. That's all very helpful for me because keeps me, keeps me looking and viewing time appropriately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I also think is why schedules and alarms can help to My sister has like an alarm for everything every hour. What is this alarm for? But it just helps her to keep track of time, which is if you struggle with keeping to time tracking your time makes sense. Yes, Yeah, it seems so simple, doesn't it, But like, in my mind, it's not simple.
Speaker 1: Well it's not simple also because I'm notorious for like snoozing alarms. Yeah, like if it's a reminder, I'm like, I'm in the middle of something. I'll deal with this two minutes and then it's go on.
Speaker 2: It's also overriding that thought now when my mind says no, you could probably leave twenty minutes later. Like I'm the person who gets to the airport where they're like, sorry, we can't check your luggage. You can go, but your luggage can't go. You've passed the deadline. But I leave thinking nony of time. But I think now overriding that thought, saying oh, you've got time, And I'm like, no, you know what, just in case, just in case, let me just leave now. I'll do this the other end, but let me just override that thought. And I've done that a few times and it's really helped. And you know, I used to struggle because my friends used to see me being late as a lack of value for their time, and I really felt upset with them because I was like, no, I value your time, so much. It's actually not me thinking, oh they weren't mine. That's not That's not why I'm not showing up on time. And so I really made it a priority to try and value what they value by showing up on time. But definitely took a lot together there.
Speaker 1: I So sometimes what I do, like for example, the example you gave about the podcast, sometimes I call it a dopamine delay, Like I will have to bargain and talk to myself about like I now I should leave now, but I really want to do this one thing, So I'm going to delay that dopamine release and pick another time. So I'm like, if I get to the airport, I will do it. Then I will like that'll be my reward. And so it kind of gives me a little bit of like, Okay, there's something to look.
Speaker 2: Forward to, Bill Sweet when you get there. Could you you mentioned dopamine. Could you tell us the relationship between dopamine and ADHD.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is looking at a super oversimplified view of it, but basically, if you're looking at things that you're the ADHD brain kind of is and I can't even say deficient it dysregulated in dopamine and ourepin effort are two big ones. Basically, with dopamine, it's not so much that you don't have it, it's just not in the right place at the right time. Interesting, so you can have so a lot of times when people are like I checked my dopamine levels, I'm like, I don't even know how you did that. They were like peened into a cop and I was like, I don't know what that's telling you, because it's not telling me. If that small amount of dopamine, if it's present at the right place at the right time, you're not going to have any sort of dysfunction with it. So like looking at levels and things like that, it's not telling me anything. So that's that's kind of the relationship.
Speaker 2: And so there's this sum of a deficiency of dopamine and then is it missed? How you know you mentioned you were delaying your dopamine feeling. How do people with ADHD late to certain tasks in that way? Could you explain that?
Speaker 1: So dopamine everybody thinks it's like the feel good chemical, but it's also in terms of like how I classify it is more for attention reward. So if you are doing something that aligns in both ways. Like you know it's going to be personally rewarding, so you're like, I'm into this, this is great and it can gather your attention. That's when you're getting this flooding of kind of dopamine. Okay, and so tasks that are new or urgent or exciting, those are all things that to me are setting off that dopamine cascade, and you're really able to attend to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's so if I'm halfway through something that I've been doing for a couple of days and then I get any money to start something, I'm like, oh, I definitely want to do that part us. Yes, yeah, I'll get back to this one day. But this seems really fun, like a bit of a change or a shift something I find really helps me when I I'm struggling with those switches, especially during the day. The later the day goes, the more distracted I kind of feel. And I've got this new habit, well not new, I've been doing it for about a year now. I just jump on the treadmill and I walk while I work. I don't know whether you could explain this, but for me, when I'm moving my body while I'm working. I am so much more focused, attentive and efficient in the way that I'm like, I get so much more done when I'm walking and working in that one and a half hours that I'm walking while I'm typing away. But I am so focused, And I was wondering whether is there a relationship between my body somewhat being distracted while it reminds me kind of those fidget I was gonna say, are you a figital I definitely struggle to sit so like, if you're watching something, I'll probably get up like three four times. Actually, now that you mentioned it, I won't just like wear you're oh I need to go do this or I need to go grab this or yeah, am I a figitor? Yeah, probably don't sit still much.
Speaker 1: You're right, So I think that there is when you look at ADHD again, this comes back to the regulation thing. You how you're regulating movement and energy, and so with ADHG, a lot of people describe restlessness, and it doesn't necessarily need to be. It can be physical where it's like hard to stay still. It can also be mental, but there's something about moving that body which is incredibly I don't even want to say distracting to the body, but it is. It just calms and regulates so that your brain can do what it's supposed to do.
Speaker 2: Especially when it's a monotonous movement like walking. It's the same rhythm. So for some reason, that seems to take away whatever else my mind is thinking about and allows me to focus. It reminded me of you know, when people are watching TV. Nowadays, we end up scrolling while we're watching TV, like we're doing multiple things. Do you think there's an element of everyone, you know, I imagine there's a spectrum of being on having ADHD. Do you think everyone because of what you mentioned earlier, because of screens and social media, do we all kind of have attention deficit?
Speaker 1: Our attention spans have decreased, for sure. I think that that's just But I don't even necessarily attribute that to screens. I think our world is just busier. There's a lot more happening, there's a lot more expected of us, and we're we're just you know, and I think that our attention spans, you know, have shortened. Does that mean that people have more ADC? No? I think ADC is a genetic thing and that we're if we're seeing a spike in ADHD diagnosis. I don't think it's because of smartphones or screens or things like that. I think we're just getting talking about it more and we're better at picking it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes it okay, good to know. I'd love to move on to the next thing, which is memory. How does memory get affected through ADHD? I've noticed it is. I struggle sometimes well a lot to remember like people's names or things that I'm told in passing, Whereas I found my husband like literally can remember every single person's name, remember what they were wearing, no matter whether it was important information or not. So is there a relationship between memory and ADHD.
Speaker 1: For an ADHG brain, so much information is being processed at once is because we don't have a great filtering system, so we are seeing instead of like I'm looking at you, I'm talking about you. I remember your name, I remember what you're wearing. Let's move on from this point. You are like, Okay, I see you, but I also see that there's a great plant behind you, and I see there's a TV in the wall, and I see that there's cords over there, and I see you're drinking tea, and I see like I'm seeing all of that stuff in my brain is like, okay, okay, all right, we're putting this all where I think it needs to go before we move on to the next thing, and so it's harder to keep all of that organized and figure it out. So it's we have difficulty with that filtering system that's happening.
Speaker 2: I find that in large social situations a lot. And now I've had to know my time limited places. So I went out to a party the other day and I knew, like, I gave myself about two hours to be out where I know I'm able to be the most attend to actually engage in good conversation before for some reason, I check out and people know when I've checked out. So I'm just I'm there, but I'm not able to just focus on the person. And I really appreciate you explaining it in that way, because that's exactly how I feel. I'm looking in I'm trying to talk to the person, but it's so loud, and I'm thinking wherever I last heard this song? And then I'm looking at her dress and sinking, oh wow, I think I have a yellow dress like that somewhere, And then I'm hearing someone else's conversation that I kind of think I need to participate in because it sounds really interesting and the ability to, like, I find it so hard to tune out my senses in especially loud, big environments with lots of people and really focus, and I think sometimes I struggle with social situations for that reason. Yeah, And it can be quite frustrating because you're like, if I stay out late, it's gonna be so fun. I'm like, no, I can see how it would be fun, but I actually don't enjoy myself after a CENTEMA term because I feel exhausted from trying staying out.
Speaker 1: Wait, that's a lie. Are these people like being at home?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, nighttime?
Speaker 2: Is that something that people that ADC struggle with social situations or is that it is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of overstimulation that happens. There's a lot of when you go back to like the emotional dysregulation part of it, there's also a lot of back and forth that happens within conversations where you're like, am I doing something weird? Do they like me? What's happening? And then you add that extra layer to it, Yeah, and it becomes very tiring.
Speaker 2: Are there any things on a daily basis that you do to help yours? What is some of your systems or tools or techniques that you found when you help.
Speaker 1: What I tell all of my patients and I tell all of my family members is like the place to start is to understand your own patterns, because I think everybody looks a little bit different and your holes are in different places, and even without knowing it, you've been working on systems your whole life. So during the COVID shutdown, I had my son in March of twenty twenty, and so I was like, basically, this has just been one long maternity leave for me. Oh never went back to normal, and so I like, during that time, my sister was like especially frustrated because she's like, you can't focus on anything. And I was like, maybe that's because I'm postpartum and I'm breastfeeding and it's that stuff. And she's like, no, we need to we need to do something. And so we started creating this app called focus Genie, and like in it, there's a focused tracker And I don't think I actually did this until I started beta testing that app, because it was like it's I mean so simple. It was just like this, this will track your sleep and to track how much water you drinking and if you ate your meals, and to how impulsive were you how much were you fidgeting? Yeah, And so then you look at that visually over time and you're like, oh, whoa that like there are certain days where it like things are really difficult for me, and I was like, oh, I did not have a single sip of water today. Yeah, or there are days where I'm like I was looking at it and I was like, the last four days of the month are really bad for me in terms of impulsivities. And then I was like, okay, the tracks hormonally and like, so then you I started to notice. So now once I knew my patterns, I was like, Okay, I know those last four days of the month are going to be so bad for me. So Number one, I'm not going to mindlessly scroll because then I'm just buying a bunch of weird stuff that I don't need. I I'm not going to put anything super important, like I'm just going to frontload my important meetings and on those days are going to be more admin and easy stuff. I don't try to overbook on those days. So like number one, knowing your patterns, I think it's really helpful. Number two I think is just utilizing other brains. I think it's really important. I delegate a lot of my mental load to my husband, and my husband doesn't have ADHD, and so like, if there are things that are really difficult and really hard for me, like sometimes like taxes, I don't understand them. I don't like them, I don't scare me.
Speaker 2: And is that a DAC thing or is it just we don't like doing normal human brothers.
Speaker 1: I don't know. There's a lot of work to do before you even get into an accountant. So like there are times where I'm like just with my husband, like will you just sit with me and we can go through this together. And if I have questions and so sit with me and while I'm doing it. But like sometimes I need that. I need that extra accountability. I need to body double. I need to have someone there with me to do those tasks that I don't care about.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's some good tips there. Do simple things like sleep, nutrition, movement, Do they impact the symptoms? Yes? Okay, could you go into that?
Speaker 1: And it's with family, So there was a actually this is pretty interesting. There was a study that came out of Washiel December of twenty twenty five, so a few months ago, and they were talking about how stimulants actually work, because this whole time we just kind of have assumed like stimulants work on the focus part of your brain. That's like the depth of knowledge. Yeah we knew more, but like essentially, and now they're saying, you know what, it actually works on two different things. It works on alertness and it works on reward. And so alertness it's basically negating the effects of a sleep deficit. So if you're sleeping really poorly, the stimulant will help you feel more awake and alert, like you had a good night to sleep. And then the reward part is it'll keep you moving towards a goal, like I know this is good for me, Let me finish this goal. So in terms of that, what that study has shown me is how important sleep is, Like if that's what the stimulant is doing and really kind of aiming towards, and that is showing me how incredibly important getting good sleep is. And so sleep is so incredibly important. Diet is important. I think that it's one of those things that I'm never going to be that person who's like, you have to do exactly this diet because it's so dependent on the person fueling yourself adequately and figuring out what your windows are. Like I know, for me, I'm never going to be the person who can just have three meals a day like I'm eating throughout the day, like I'm just like grazing and eating stuff and that keeps my metabolism going so I can do these things that burn up so much oxygenated glucose in my brain to do and then exercise. Exercise is great for you. I just hate it.
Speaker 2: Is there a relationship between I remember seeing all these articles about how sugar is making ADHD and children worse. Is there a strong relationship between the two.
Speaker 1: I think that sugar is one of those things that it's neuroinflammatory like it and you, I mean, people can feel that. You know, when you are having high sugary diets, high processed foods diet, you do feel worse and you feel worse. Yeah, but that's kind of part of the culture we live in. And I'm never going to recommend a completely exclusionary diet. I think it's being mindful of how your body responds to certain things. So if you are responding to sugar and you're like, I know for a fact that I feel really foggy. And that's that's where I got to with gluten. Ye, Like I and like what my reasoning for this was. I don't I ate like a full loaf of bread one day.
Speaker 2: I mean, honestly don't need a reason for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And like I remember being so foggy. I was driving home in my husband's car and I shut the garage while opening the back of his car, and I got like pinned, and I was just sitting there and I was like, I don't even know how to fix this problem. I don't know what to lower first or do that. And I was like, I got it was a call coma.
Speaker 2: It's what I liked.
Speaker 1: It's a coma.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I have them often, and I usually have to time my cobs for the time I know I need to either walk straight after or I have plenty of time to just have a little nap while watching Great Brish Bake Off.
Speaker 1: Okay, so love that. That's my hack I should have done instead of driving a car that I had no business driting. But anyway, so once I started to move away from this extremely gluten heavy diet, I started to feel like I was a little bit more sharp in what I was doing. And then I was like, oh, and like, also, I knew it was bad for my body, but it didn't really understand until I got far enough, because I was like, I would eat bread and I would look like I was six months pregnant, and I was like, oh okay. And then once I started leaving it out of my diet, every time I had a little bit of gluten, that woul happening here, and I was like, oh okay. So I mean and it's not something that it's like an ADHD specific. This is specific to me. There are other people with AGC who do great with gluten. It's just like, you figure out what your body likes and doesn't like, and then you move on from there. So I'm never going to be the doctor who's like, cut out all sugar, cut out all dairy. Like you have to figure out what your patterns are and then go from there with relationships.
Speaker 2: And you were talking about mood regulation when it comes to as in emotions. How does emotional regulation differ in ADHD people?
Speaker 1: How much time do you have tell me everything. I think it's a huge problem because I think with emotional dysregulation, they're actual neurobiological differences, like they're parts of the brain, which are actually why you're differently. They're anatomically a different size. So the areas of your brain, the two big ones that I'm thinking about, is that the amygdala, the area of your brain that it's in charge of like threat response and fear and emotional regulation. That's bigger and more hyperactive in an ADHD brain. And then the frontal lobe directly under your forehead is in charge of judgment and processing and personality, and so that's a little bit thinner, so the connection between the two is weaker. So if you are in a situation, your emotions are going to overdrive your logical side every single time. Oh no way, every single time. So that's why I think it is such negligence that we haven't included this into the criteria, because this is what we need to be talking about, because for focus and all of those other things. I've gotten to a spot in my life where I've hacked my way around stuff and I can or I can use my husband, or I can you know, delegate that out, but I haven't. There is no system to delegate out my emotions like I need to. Like that's the thing that I have the hardest time regulating.
Speaker 2: So let's say in an argument, if someone's got ADHD with a partner who doesn't have it, how would that show up differently? What would the person that's got ADHD how would they respond? That would be different in that situation.
Speaker 1: So it could be a lot of different things. I think with emotional dysregulation, there is a concept called rejection sensitive dysphoria, and that is very real and intense emotional sometimes physical pain when you're dealing with rejection or criticism. So if you're thinking about that interpersonally and in conflict with loved ones, that's something that comes up all the time, Like when you get into a fight. Immediately, what your body is trying to do is it's trying to avoid rejection, trying to avoid criticism. And I think to some no one likes rejection or criticism. But with ADHD, almost one hundred percent of people with ADHD have RSD, and it is robust. It's that they go out of their way to avoid it or they you know, so those times you know, when people get into conflict, all of a sudden, it stops feeling like this A and B conversation and it feels like a direct harm to your self worth. You're like, this is what I'm feeling, and it feels so much deeper than what this actual conversation is about.
Speaker 2: And then for the partner, who obviously is trying to be maybe logical in the conversation, how can they help their partner or you know, what kind of tools can they use to really communicate better or efficiently with someone with ADHD.
Speaker 1: I've thought about that because I'm like, I know, I know that that's probably not easy for my husband or anybody else who I am in direct conflict with, because I know that I am sensitive to these things and my nervous system is just an overdrive during the in the context of that conversation, I feel like Number one explaining to him, like when when I actually understood this about myself and like started gathering research and building this, I was like, this is a for this is a biological phenomenon. I get feel it on myself, I see it on my patients, Like we need to learn more about this. And it was actually nice because in that research process, I brought him into it and like helping him understand but also getting his viewpoint. I'm like, is this do you feel this way? Like it is this understanding of the partner. But then also sometimes I can tell you there's some conversations I'm never gonna have face to face. I just can't do it. Like I can't like if I see if you and I are beefing and you are, I can't even do that. Look at your beautiful face and imagine beefing. But like if we were like there would be I'd have a really difficult time telling you what's going on. And so for me, like I have to write it down. Yeah, Like I want to write it down. My husband and I have an entire email file of like these things, these things that we've gone back and forth, because like that's an easier way for me because I have three or four Like the paper is safe to me, like I can or the email I can draft it over and over again until I feel like I'm saying what I'm supposed to say, because in the moment, I'm more concerned about like am I being too emotional? Am I? I'm like, your face isn't doing the right thing. I don't. I'm worried that you're not responding to what I'm saying and like, so I just I know that I need to write it down. And then what I like is that my husband will respond back via email or via text, and then I can look at that without having to worry about how are you, what is the tone you're telling it to me, or what is that I can just see words on a page.
Speaker 2: I remember when me and my husband started dating. Something that kept coming up was we'd be in conversation and he'd be talking about something. So let's say he said to me, oh, you know, we've got friends coming around later or going out for dinner. What do you think you want to eat? Or where do you think you want to go? And then my mind will say friends, and I think of another friend. I'm like, oh, my gosh, did you know that my friend? I don't know? Misha decided to and he's like, but we were just talking, Like so what was happening was I was linking things in my head. He thought I wasn't listening, but I would end up talking about something completely different in my mind it was completely related. But the track of how to get there was not clear, so I you know, if it was like a yellow jacket, I'd be like, oh, my gosh, Yellow, do you remember that song Yellow? And so what I noticed was I had to start really explaining how my mind was getting to places because it felt random to the person, but to me, it makes complete logical sense of how my mind has connected two things. So the conversation doesn't flow, but in my mind it tracks completely. And so communicating that and like explaining when he's like, oh, but are you just not listening to me? Or like have you do you not hear what I said? And I'm like, oh, no, I did, but this happened, yeah, And I think that was really helpful, And that was helpful even with my friends or with my family for me to communicate that when we are having conversations. Another part that I want to ask is, you know, when I started doing this podcast, I used to find it really difficult not to interrupt someone because I had these thoughts and I really wanted to tell the person. And then I got feedback online from people listening and I was like, you know, what fair point, I need to stop doing that. So I've started writing my questions down. But is that something you know when it comes to data conversation And it's just myself having to actively stop myself from because if my min I was like, it's urgent, I need to tell this point. Is that just me being an impatient child? Or no, okay, great? I think that that's one of the core parts and symptomology is that verbal impulsivity. It's like I don't know how long I can hang onto this thought, so I have to get it out. I remember in med school. I remember it being so much of an issue that sometimes I would like pinch my leg to like I had a point.
Speaker 1: I just don't stop myself from saying this that I'm like, this is weird, what is happening? But like now that I've understood more and learn more, I'm like, you know, I'm trying. I'm physically trying to stop myself from interrupting, and now I just have to think of other ways and I write down quite like sometimes I'm like I'm listening to you, but I'm taking notes because I don't want to interrupt you.
Speaker 2: Are there any other like and you mentioned the app that you have, and are there any other tools either digital or physical that you recommend for people that have helped refocus or be more attentive in their workdays. You know, if they're doing a nine to five job in an office, are there certain rituals or techniques that someone can use to help refocus.
Speaker 1: So some of my favorites, and these aren't even necessarily digital, but they do have them. Like for me, one of my hardest things is just separating from my phone, right, I just like I don't like I feel like my whole world is on my phone, and so like it's really difficult for me to where is my phone? Okay, it's hard for me to pull away from that. So then you know, like really utilizing like did do not disturb and doing things And sometimes I'm like, even that's not enough for me. I have I have had to set up screen time limits for myself, Like I can't be on socials all day long because that's what it's like and it's shameful to say, but at some points in my career and like my time on social media, like I've felt like in order to understand what people want it, I need it to be chronically online. And I was like, I have to not do this because this isn't great for me because I'd see one thing that would hurt my feelings that I'd be like ruined for two days. But so I like, I've had to set screen time limits. I you know, there there's been times where I'm like even just like I need to figure out how to make my phone less enticing, And I turned it to grayscale so you can take away the collars from the icon, so less fun. It's way less fine. But then also I realized what was happening is my brain would like my thumb would automatically there would be like green logo and I was like moving the Spotify or like I would I wouldn't even think about, like I would see a rainbow square and like me and all of a sudden, I'm on Instagram like I was doing stuff like just by rote memory. Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: My husband recently got this thing called the brick.
Speaker 1: I don't know you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't used it yet, but it seems like a great idea because even if you lock it, it's something where you like tap your phone and then you lock it, and then if you go out, you can't unlock those apps until you get back home to that brig. And so I felt like that seems like a good one for if you want to pay more attention when you're out and about, if you want to focus, if you just want to actually be present in the moment, which often is what lacks for me during those times. Then it forces you into that. And even if you happen to take your phone out, you can't access anything except for your cause, which is great. And so I haven't tried yet, but it's definitely something I'm going to. I want to talk about medication, by the way. Yeah, I know you mentioned it earlier and you said that it's not always necessary for people to have medication. Could you tell me what some of the ADHD medication, how it actually works in the body, what it actually does to the mind.
Speaker 1: So, when you look at ADHD medication, they're two big classes. They're stimulants, which are the stuff you've heard about adderall and Riddlin and five mins right, and then they're non stimulants, and non stimulants are there's a huge class of those. They can be blood pressure medication, they could be antidepressants, they can be other things along that spectrum that also work on those same neuroreceptors. So it's highly dependent on what the person actually needs in that moment. I would say that a lot of people come to me and they're assuming because stimulants have been the gold standard for treating ADHD for so long, they assume they're going to be started on that. But truly to get better controls, sometimes we have to go to these long acting non stimulants because I know it's going to give twenty four hour control. It's going to help with things other than just focus. It's going to help with anxiety, it's to help with depression, it's gonna help with sleep. So there's It really depends on what the person needs and what stage of life they're in and what other things are going on medically, that's how you make a good decision and.
Speaker 2: Does a medication what does it do? Is is it dull things? Does it tend certain things off in the body? Does it increase or elevate different parts in your mind? Like how do some of these like the stimulants and the difference between the two. What does it switch on or switch off in the mind.
Speaker 1: There's no easy answer to that. But like if you're looking at stimulant medications per se, it's a stimulant for every part of the body. It's not specific for the brain. It's a stimulant everywhere, and that's you know, for a lot of people. I tell people that that's part of the reason why there's a risk profile with that, Like if you have a cardiac history, we need to know because it's going to speed up the heart. It's gonna spe you know, it's it's gonna make it more difficult to sleep, it's gonna So there's there's lots of things to kind of think about in that. But the way, like we talked about before, the way that these we're now finding out, it's more about kind of keeping you awake and alert and keeping you more goal directed towards reward driven behavior. So like I want to do this, this will be good for me. Let me engage, and so I don't have to get over that mountain to start a task. So that's how stimulants work. In terms of non stimulants, there's so many different kinds that it's hard to say, but I think that the way that they work is they give depending on what you're doing. Like if you're looking at some of those twenty four hour acting agents, what they're doing is they're kind of bringing up that focus baseline. You're focusing better, and then you're also getting relief in terms of like the mood perspective, so anxiety and depression and those tank your focus as well. And with the non stimulants. I always tell people, like, you know, I get the question a lot, like how do you know when you're well medicated? What? Like? When have I made it right? And I tell people, I don't want you to feel like Superman. I don't want you to feel like you took the Limitless Bill like I. I don't want that because that's not that's indicating that you know, that's not part of the human experience, so human feels like that I'm assuming. Yeah, I want to get you eighty percent of the way there. I want you to feel like you do on a good day, and whatever twenty percent is remaining, I want you to make up behaviorally, I want you to use those skills that you can, because I think that helps people stay on lower doses of medication. I think it helps remind them that their skills that we need to grow and develop and work on. And it kind of also reduces the window of over medication, so you're not having some of these side effects.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense actually, and I feel like you must. I'm sure people have to go through different versions of each medication to figure out which one's even right for them. Is there a link between ADHD and addiction?
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: The reason I ask is because in my family we have like high tendencies of both on one side. And I remember my cousin saying that she was an addict, and she was saying, Oh, I did some research, and I found out that there is this thing between like newer virgin people and addictional, like the genes that are somewhat similar between the two. So I'm just curious to know whether there is.
Speaker 1: So what we have seen again going back to the regulation issue kind of stuff with addiction, like, at a very very basic level, it is that your brain is kind of wired to gain a significant amount of reward, and while you're using a substance, or while you're using whatever you are addicted to, it is shunting out a bunch of dopamine when it's telling you like things are great. And so if you have a dopamin dysregulation issue at hand, like with ADHD, you are probably more prone to doing that. And what I will tell you, is that a lot of people with untreated, unrecognized ADHD, A lot of people are using substances just sooth and has a way to self medicate for those kind of things. So when you look at it always becomes kind of a dicey road because then you look at these medications, like with stimulants that have an addiction potential with them, you get worried about like how am I supposed to treat somebody who has a standing addiction problem with a medication that has an addiction potential, And so there's tons of other medications you can use. It's not that that's a huge misconception that if you have ADHD all you can do are stimulants. There's there is a huge world you could do Otherwise.
Speaker 2: What happens to someone who if they don't want addicts, but they're drinking alcohol regularly? Does that what effect does that have on ADHD?
Speaker 1: So if you look at the effects of alcohol, like from a neurotransmitter level, alcohol works on your GABBA receptor, which tells it's an inhibitory receptor, which tells your whole body to calm down, which makes sense when you're at weddings and things like that I understand why people drink because it's it's reducing anxiety, it's telling you to calm down. But if it's doing that to your body, you're not getting adequate stimulation to kind of be able. So if you're using a stimulant or something like that to get your brain to work and to do all of those things and to counteract some of that, you know, sleep deficit and to act towards reward, alcohol is going to directly oppose that is caffeine the same then kind of caffeine in theory, in theory helps reverse some of that sleepiness and to help with alertness. But what they've found is that how it adheres to that receptor and how transient it is, you would need massive amounts of caffeine to to treat adhd.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, fine. So like for people having the usually if you're having a couple of cups of coffee during the day or a cup, it's.
Speaker 1: It probably helps, it probably helps to some degree. But what they've seen is like if they're doing head to head trials of like this is a stimulant, this is caffeine. Like at a certain point, if you're getting to therapeutic doses to treat ADHD, You're also going to get a lot of those negative side effects of the caffeine. You're gonna be sweating, be jittery, you're gonna be pooping like all of those things. Like you're not it's not going to be equivalent.
Speaker 2: If someone is into this as hearing it and thinking, oh my gosh, I think I've just realized then I might have ADHD. And what are the first steps that you recommend they do And is there anything else that you wanted to share about ADHD that you think is really important for people to know.
Speaker 1: So first steps, I mean my first steps are always like whether whether you've been formally diagnosed or not formally diagnosed, I think you need to go back and look at your patterns. I think you need to understand, like where are my deficits, where are my holes? Because then even you know, if you have a barrier to getting care and getting a formal assessment, you can figure out and behaviorally modify and I mean go on Reddit to figure out what people are doing behaviorally and like and get information about how to do that. I think when you move into the realm of actually looking for treatment and things like that, and after you've gotten your formal diagnosis, that's when you need a medical professional because they're the ones who are going to be able to look at everything in totality.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, amazing and anything else that you'd like to share about ADHD that you think people need to know.
Speaker 1: ADHD is so much more than focus. So we just need to like, as a whole, we need to talk about ADHD in terms of like looking at it with focus and emotional regulation. Because, by the way, Europe changed their criteria in twenty nineteen to include emotional regulation. It's just the.
Speaker 2: US that's just find I'm n yeah, so we are just kind of sitting behind and I think that it's important that we're talking about it.
Speaker 1: And that's that's what my book is.
Speaker 2: About, just about to tell people about that too sensitive. Yes, out in October.
Speaker 1: It's own in August.
Speaker 2: Now, Oh so okay, someone want to be out by the time this comes out, Yeah, tell us about it.
Speaker 1: This is my baby, this I love I love her.
Speaker 2: I mean, is it taking you to write it?
Speaker 1: It's been three years of research, wow, Because there really wasn't any information about rejection sensitive dysphoria or emotional dysregulation or any you know, there were papers and they're pioneers in the space who have been doing it, but we just haven't gotten to a point where it's been talked about enough or the public is known about it. And I think one of the this is so sad, but I think it's true. I think what's psychiat well with a lot of things, but I think for psychiatry, no one changes anything unless there's a public outcry for it. I don't think people they are not compelled to change. So we know, we know ADHD doesn't just affect boys. We know ADHD doesn't just affect children. We know ADHD is so much more than just focus. So what I'm hoping that this book does is it brings us all together as like a way to change that diagne because I think it needs to It does need to happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and who's this book for me? Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, I think I started writing it when my dad was sick and I was having a really hard time with emotional regulation myself. So I think there was a lot of healing that went into writing the book and getting all of that information in one spot. But it's also for anybody independently of ADHD. I think just looking at emotional sensitivity as instead of looking at it as a personality flaw, this is looking at it as a neurological phenomenon. This is something your brain is wired. And I think once people recognize that and they can see that, you can also see that instead of constantly turning it inwards and having to carry it and have it be like this huge burden, you can start to reframe it and start to work with it and it can be an incredible strength.
Speaker 2: Amazing, Oh my gosh, so excited for you. Yeah, congratulations on the VERG. You and everyone go out and get too sensitive. It's out August, and thank you so much. Such a great conversation.
Speaker 1: I know, m hm