Speaker 1: In the Lab, a Texans podcast that takes a different look at things. Drew Doherty and John Harris have their lab coats and goggles on and the Bunsen burners burning. Here's Drew in the Lab time right now.
Speaker 2: Drew, John, good to be with you. We appreciate you listening, watching whatever you're doing. And John, how are you?
Speaker 3: First of all, okay hanging in there?
Speaker 4: It's uh, I don't know. It's late in March. I know that, and I'm knee deep.
Speaker 3: I think last night I was watching a safety.
Speaker 4: From Ohio State, like midnight, trying to get because I had I had made a point. I was doing a certain number of players. He was the last player that day and it just took me.
Speaker 3: On into midnight.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if he wrote players or what were you doing.
Speaker 3: It just happened to be that player. I don't know why I was. Josh Proctor from out Ohio State.
Speaker 4: Really, you know, good athlete, you know, excellent build and all that kind of stuff, But you know it might be a guy that Texas could look at.
Speaker 5: On date.
Speaker 4: You'll add to the special teams and bolster the safety the safety depth chart, if you will, But your free agency has done plenty of that bolstering depth chart, so we'll see kind of how all that, how all that goes. But Man, a lot of news happening with the Texans. It's crazy, dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's start there. You brought up special teams. Special teams is getting impacted externally in a huge way because of the new kickoff rule. And basically it's the new XFL or it's the XFL kickoff rule, which have you if you haven't seen it. There's basically two lines facing each other, and they're really really close on the kickoff, the receiving teams into the field, and you can you don't have to boom it as far and as hard you can if you want, but if you kick it out of bounds, you give them a touch back at the thirty. But what this does is it probably eliminates any more Andrew Beck kickoff returns for a score, which I just tweeted, So we're not gonna see Andrew Beck getting loose like you did. But I think it's probably gonna make things a little bit more exciting on kickoff returns because it's almost more like an offensive play really, because you can kind of scheme some blocking schemes up that are a little different and so on and so forth, and you can speak even better to this, but I'm cool with this. It's I'm a little sad I won't see the old kickoff. But this will be kind of interesting, don't you think?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, interesting is definitely the word. And I'm not totally sure.
Speaker 5: Way too much in this this forum, but it's not work for this.
Speaker 4: This one's kind of like a you know, doghead turn when when he or she sees something like it's kind of like that, like, okay, let's see. And the reason that's interesting to me is how teams are going to attack this. Are they gonna treat I mean, because the players are so close the you know, the defenders and the blockers are so close. I've seen some XFL teams that run like some sort of offense, almost like an offensive scheme, you know, the way that they're trying to block that.
Speaker 3: And I would imagine that when Frank.
Speaker 4: Ross first heard of this possibly happening, he sat down and started doodling and watching XFL film. You know what what did good teams with excuse me, what teams with returners?
Speaker 3: What did they do?
Speaker 4: And you're right, it does eliminate Andrew Becks sort of return, so we'll always have Andrew Beck and Jacksonville to play.
Speaker 3: That I think turned the season around in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: But what it also does is it brings back the return into the game because in all honesty and college football, there are very few returns now because of the fair catch rule, and coaches are just like, no.
Speaker 5: We want to I don't like that. I don't like that fair catch.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, we had that last year in the NFL, and I'll never forget, like second game of the year, the Colts have a you know, they waved a fair catch and I just remember my heart dropping, like what, oh yeah, okay, And I thought it was a great kick by Kymie and just fair catch.
Speaker 3: So I hated that rule too.
Speaker 4: But you're not you don't have as many returns in college and so I think teams in some sense have gotten away from putting a really good returner back there.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm curious to see now how NFL teams will do it. What will they who will they put back there?
Speaker 4: What does this bring back in that particular position, because that used to be of value, Like I would put in a draft report.
Speaker 3: Hey, this guy's got kicking punt returnability. Dry.
Speaker 4: I don't know that I put that in many scotting reports that I've done thus far, and I've done almost probably two and two hundred and fifteen reports. I don't know that I've put in there. Oh yeah, punt and kick return skills like that. I mean, and I don't even know if a guy has to have kicking punt return skills. You know, it might just be a number three running back you want back there, a guy that can at least just catch the ball and then run like a running back. And that's, you know, kind of the Damian Pierce theory. Like last year, Damie catch the ball. Now, he obviously had gets a build up speed, but you know, he's very difficult to tackle. So maybe that becomes the role of the third running back. Maybe that becomes the role of the fourth or fifth wide receivers. You know, a guy that's got good return skills. You know, does this increase the value of a guy like Devin Dubernator just went down to Jackson's I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm really curious.
Speaker 4: Keishaw Nixon is one of the better return guys with the Packers and so what does what does that bring for him? And what does that open up for him? Maybe maybe it doesn't open things up. Maybe he needs a little bit more runway to be able to make a move.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: So I'm curious how teams are going to how they're going to defend it. I'm curious as to what they come up from a creative standpoint. So I guess the next one now is what happens with the outside kick? Are they gonna give teams? I know one of the teams, I can't remember which one. It was proposed the fourth and twenty from the twenty your own twenty.
Speaker 3: I think that's what it is.
Speaker 4: And I was like, I love that rule. I love it because I've I've been there on outside kicks.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: That's one of the scariest things I've ever been a part of into sports ever. And I've faced ninety five mile on hour fastball.
Speaker 2: Man that oh you're saying, okay, so yeah, you're saying when you're a you wise player, yeah, oh.
Speaker 3: I hated outside kick. I hated it as a coach, I hated it as a player, hated it.
Speaker 4: So I like the opportunity to go get the ball again and outside kick, but you put in that fourth to twenty rule because I don't know how you want side kick with this thing now, I don't know how that goes. So there'll be some things I have to get kind of worked out. But you know, the first game of the year, we'll end up featuring the Texans, so we'll find out right away.
Speaker 2: Wait what Yeah, if you didn't hear the Pro Football Hall of Fame game, the Texans are going to be in it against the Bears. It makes so much sense because Andre Johnson going to the Hall of Fame, he was a Texan. You got Devin Hester, former Bear, going in as well as Mango. Steve McMichael, that guy. If you're watching or listening to this and you don't know really much about him, just go go to YouTube and look up Steve McMichael character with a capital C. He was a part of that phenomenal eighty five Bears defense, but really yep, almost all of the eighties into the early nineties. He was a force there on the inside. Then he went into the WWE. He was a wrestler, got a great he's always got like the good personality and good perspective on things.
Speaker 5: When you see the interviews.
Speaker 2: Sadly he's fighting Luke Griggs's disease, but he goes in as well as Julius Pepper's played played with the Bears for a few years, so with three former Bears, a Texan, and the Texans haven't been in it since two thousand and two, first year of the franchise, so that we kind of do and that's gonna be fun. That means they have four preseason games as opposed to just three. Don't know how much we'll see if the starter's probably not much because it's so very early in August, but nonetheless, first bit of football we'll include the Texans and that's not a bad thing. It's on Thursday night football. I can't wait, You can't wait. It's gonna be a lot of fun. John, It's gonna be a great weekend because you get the game on Thursday and then dre going into the Hall on Saturday night or Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna be a pretty pretty awesome situation.
Speaker 4: And you know, looking forward, I've never been to the Hall of Fame and either you know, it got to a point where I was like, you know what, I'm just gonna come up here with you know what a Texan gets in the Hall of Fame. And so when Andre got in the Hall of Fame, I was like, please put us in the game so we can get a trip up there to cam and I would you know, looking forward to that so so much se Andre going in. You know, the game itself will you know, are always fun and you know, you know, for us doing the game, it gives us a chance, it kind of work the kinks out, It does move everything up. You know, it's going to probably start training camp a week earlier, so that will change things a little bit, kind of changes things, you know for us having to do you know, Monday radio or not Monday radio, but morning radio for training camp. But look, I think a lot of people are really excited about this twenty twenty four team. And I think last year, it was last year the Ravens. I think the Ravens were in it. I want to say the Ravens were in it, and you know they played all the way to THEFC Championship game. So this this is just gonna be I think a situation which a lot of you know, twos and threes are going to get a look a lot of rookies are going to get some looks, and you know you're gonna face the Bears during season, so you're not going to give them anything. It's just an opportunity to, you know, get some younger guys the opportunity to scrimmage against, you know, a Bears team. And I would hope that Matt Ebriflus and Demi Cool sit down and say, hey, we're not playing our ones.
Speaker 3: You know, here's what we're doing.
Speaker 4: And so you don't get a situation where you know, Texas are playing their twos and threes and.
Speaker 3: The Bears are like, no, we're all in ones. Here we go. So either way, hopefully they'll get that worked out.
Speaker 4: But either way, I I don't mind it.
Speaker 3: I'm very In fact, I called for it.
Speaker 4: I wanted it because I wanted to see Drac into the Hall of Fame and hopefully a few years after that we'll all find a way to get to J. J.
Speaker 3: Watts Hall of Fame and shrim it as well.
Speaker 4: So just really looking forward to that entire weekend and everything that goes to the Hall of Fame and just soaking all that in.
Speaker 5: Can't wait.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be cool, Like you said, I've never been to that one. I've been to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown and that's I have too tremendous too. Now, granted it was in nineteen ninety and I was thirteen years.
Speaker 3: Old, so little that's a cool place.
Speaker 5: Awesome town, USA. All right, let's kick in to this.
Speaker 2: You and I text back and forth a lot, and last night we were going back and forth about this.
Speaker 5: I was running mock draft simulation.
Speaker 2: And now that the Texans have moved back, and even before they move back, the situation comes up quite a bit where at forty two, a guy like Tovandre Sweat is available, the massive defensive tackle, knows tackle from Texas is there. You're a big fan of him. I've seen his stuff. Boil boy, he's exciting you. Wonder you know what's he gonna look like in the pros. But wow, that's an intriguing fit on this defense. So there are times when he's there and then you do the next pick, and usually you go some other direction, like there's a good wide receiver or a good safety available, and that's something that I typically do. But then you get down to eighty six and there's still like Jenkins is available from Michigan or from Ohio State or somebody else.
Speaker 5: Are disky? I mean they're not.
Speaker 2: The fisky is gonna be there. But there's another really really really good defensive tackle who's rated very very highly that slipped, and it's like, well, what's to keep you from getting a guy who's got a different skill set, is not that massive dude like sweat and taking him or vice versa. Sweat's gone early, and so you go with one of those highly rated d tackles that I just mentioned, Ruga Roboo, he's another option. And then you do another pick, and then McKinley Jackson from Texas and a big, big dude is available late.
Speaker 5: Why not go that rut?
Speaker 2: Do you see that being a possibility going a big and a small at the defensive tackle spot in one of those first four picks?
Speaker 3: I sure do.
Speaker 4: And you know I know that, you know, bringing in fully Fatzicasi, you know he's three and twenty pounds, you know that's gonna helpen. You know, Fully's pretty quick for a guy that size. Just kind of watching me the games against US, you know he can move pretty well. So you know that's you've you've gotten a little bit bigger, but I don't know that you've gotten big enough.
Speaker 3: And I think follies on a one year contract.
Speaker 4: So you just don't have big youth so or young bigs, depending on how you want to put it. So to me, I don't have any issue with going big big what I what I don't want or I don't foresee And and this is one of the issues that you've gotta and you will encounter with this particular draft class. There are really only a couple of just true bigs, and that's McKinley, Jackson to and Andre Sweat.
Speaker 3: And there might be a few, you know, down the road. But as far as.
Speaker 5: Just who the name, the big bigs done.
Speaker 4: Well, And you know, I say that, and and I don't know, let me take a look at I say that, but as I as I think about it, you know, just come in.
Speaker 3: There really aren't that many.
Speaker 4: You know, Zion Loge from out of Georgia it's three hundred and fifteen pounds, but you know, Justin Rodgers from out of Auburn it's three thirty. I want to say, I saw him at the Senior Bowl and I thought there were some good things from him, but you just don't have a ton beyond that as well.
Speaker 3: Uh, Fabian love it.
Speaker 4: Justin jeff Jordan Jefferson, Justin Jefferson. Jordan Jefferson's been a lot of Jefferson's at LSU. I thought Jordan Jefferson mel she was really really good in the Senior Bowl, topping out at three hundred fifteen pounds. So, you know, the thing is when you start looking at kind of the other you know players, you know two ninety seven, three oh two, two eighty four, two ninety six, three oh six, two ninety one, ninety three.
Speaker 5: Nine Jackson and Sweat, well it's you.
Speaker 3: Know, like we talked about a few times, things have changed. You know, it's just not.
Speaker 4: It's just not a position that colleges are putting big guys at anymore because they're taking those guys and like, look, we can't play defense against this you know, blazing fast offensive unit. We've got to be able to fly up front. Now, we've got to be able to hold our own. So you can't just go too fifty across the board. You know, you do have to have some size, but if you're putting a guy with some size on the field, you know, it's got to be you know, two eighty to ninety and a guy that can move a little bit. You know, a rarity now is becoming a McKinley Jackson, the Tovandre Sweat. Those guys are moving over to the offensive side of the ball. So hopefully that'll that'll change in the future. You know, I think about you know, next year's group. Now's your stackhouse from Georgia's. You know, three twenty. You know he's a guy inside, but there's no Devandre Sweat. I can think, oh, off the top of my head. But you're just getting sleeker now. You still have guys. They're strong and explosive and twitchy, and those kind of guys. You know, guy like Braydon Fiskey. I mean his numbers athletically are off the charts. And here's two ninety two. But there comes a point where because the offenses now have three twenty three twenty five, you think about our offensive line. Your our offensive line. You know it can average three fifteen up to three seventeen. You're depending on who's on the field at any one time, but you know our guards can be pretty big. Well, if you're giving up twenty five thirty pounds to then consistently.
Speaker 3: You know, that's that's gonna be tough.
Speaker 4: Now they're quicker, you can't see, which you can't can't hear, which can't see sort of things. So if they move, well, that's gonna be tough. But you can only do so much of that. But that's what the colleges are providing now. So there are a few bigs a little bit later. But I think in looking at that, if that is, if that is I don't want to say concern, but if that is something that you want to look at, you want to add to your defense, you want to get some size. You may have to overdraft one of those guys because there might be a few other teams thinking the same thing.
Speaker 3: So we'll see how that ends up going.
Speaker 4: But I would think just my gut tells me that one of Devandre Sweat or McKinley Jackson will end up with the Texans.
Speaker 3: Just my gut.
Speaker 4: But I also feel like you're you're right in the fact that could they go big big, Yeah? I think they I think they could because I do think when you.
Speaker 2: Go, let me clarify, I'm saying massive and yeah, like only one of Sweat and Jackson, not both Sweat and Jackson like.
Speaker 4: Capitol big big yeah, big big catch that sort of thing. Yeah, because to me, there's a little bit more of those type players as I just ripped off. You know, Chris Jenkins two ninety nine, Fisky two ninety two, Leonard Taylor Miami three ZHO three, Mike Hall Ohio State two ninety gave All Baylor we like two ninety one, Keith Randolph two ninety six, m Kay Wing Go two eighty four. I don't know what position he plays, Dwayne Carter three ZO two, Justin boy Beat two ninety seven. I like Tyler Davis Clemson three oh one, Jade Crumbeny Mississippi State three oh one. I mean, you know, in today's game, three oh one is not massive mm hmm, But it's gonna get to a point where that's what we have in today's game, that the three twenties, three thirties end up going over to the offensive side of the ball, the three twenties and the three thirties that you end up having staying on the defensive side of the ball end up being freakyzoids, And you know it's gonna make them probably, you know, they'll be a higher depending, but I would imagine there's gonna be a higher demand for you know, some of those. And that's why I feel like Devadar sweat McKinley Jackson, because they're kind of the two of the bigs. They're probably gonna get. I don't overdrafted, but maybe draft a little bit higher than some of these mock draft simulators think.
Speaker 2: All right, it's always fun talking with you. We'll get into much more, but in between now and then, enjoy your Easter, John, Yes, see hippitty hops and brings you some nice jelly beans and Reese's peanut butter cup eggs.
Speaker 5: Son.
Speaker 4: Good, yep, Eastern is gonna be a big day, big day, big big day, all right?
Speaker 3: Remember Breaking Bad? One of the best scenes of Breaking Bad last season.
Speaker 5: I never saw Breaking Bad. I've seen a few seasons, but I haven't seen the one.
Speaker 4: If you know, Walter White likes his breakfast with a number on it, and so that last season is going to be a number I hit on Sunday.
Speaker 2: So we'll see, all right, John, always good to be with you, Thank you, Thank you for listening.
Speaker 5: In the lat