Speaker 1: What's that at the bed? It's spooky. Hey, juky, I'm pretty sure it's dead. It's coming this way. Wait a minute, I'm you, said.
Speaker 2: Ias Nandez.
Speaker 1: Me please, hey boo, it's me Raz and welcome to Ghosted by Raz Hernandez, the podcast where I talk to people that I like about the paranormal. I always love when we do these listener phone calls extravaganzas. What you are about to hear are real listeners just like you of this podcast. And hey, you could be one of these people too. You know what to do? You email Ghosted by Raz at gmail dot com, subject line listener episode with one to two sentence bullet points of your stories. You know, leave us wanting more. Don't give it all away in the email. This episode is jam packed with stories, so I say we just get right into it. Let's start off with Jill on with the show. I am joined by Jill in Wisconsin. Hello, Hello, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm so good I'm psited to be here.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, you have a shared sleep paralysis story, which you know, I've talked a lot about sleep paralysis over the years, and you know, is it science mixed with a little bit of spooky, spooky, I don't know, But when it becomes something that more than one person is experiencing, that is where I'm like, tell me that story. And now I've got Jill here to tell us one had it.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: So I have definitely experienced some sleep prolysis like here and there in my life, but I've definitely never had anything even remotely close to what happened. So there was one night my husband was my boyfriend at the time, but we were renting an apartment. It was the lower level of an old house, and nothing like necessarily had really ever happened that I was spooky or anything, but it was a little off pudding sometimes I don't know. But we're sleeping. I woke up because I saw the closet door open. I look over and there's somebody that's dressed in all black from head to toe. He crawls out of the closet. He walks by my side of the bed. He walks to the foot of the bed. He's looking at me. He puts his finger to his lips and like shushes me, and then continues to walk by the end of the bed, crawls on top of a dresser and then removes like a ceiling tile from like a drop ceiling and climbs into the ceiling and puts the ceiling tile back. And the whole time, I'm screaming at the top of my lungs, trying to wake up my husband, trying to shake him away. He's not even remotely moving his body, He's just laying there, and I just once he was gone, I kind of snapped out of that moment, and I the only reason I knew it wasn't real was because we didn't have drop ceilings in the room. Actually, it was like a full solid ceiling. And it took me like a lot of minutes to kind of come back from that because it felt so real in every single way, shape or form that like, I didn't even know how it couldn't be real minus the fact that we didn't have drop ceilings. So I fell back asleep.
Speaker 3: I thought I was going to maybe die.
Speaker 4: From a heart attack because I was so scared.
Speaker 3: But I did it, which is good.
Speaker 4: And the next morning when I wake up, my husband turns to me and he was like, oh my god, last night I had a moment where somebody came out of the closet like shushed us, walked around the bed, crawled down the dresser, and went into the ceiling. And he said that all before I even had a moment to utter a word about what I experienced the night before, And he said he could not wake me up in that moment.
Speaker 1: What do you mean? This isn't real. Also, I bet you that the ceiling used to be like that at one point.
Speaker 3: Maybe it totally could have been.
Speaker 1: Yes, who is this man in the closet coming out of the closet shishing? It doesn't come out, it's twenty twenty whatever year it was, Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was so bizarre. And I could not believe that he had had that experience because I was already freaked out. But then when you find out that somebody had that same experience as you and they weren't able to communicate to.
Speaker 3: You in that moment, it was really very unsettling.
Speaker 4: I don't feel like I slept very well in that house after at all.
Speaker 1: I just wonder, like, why that would happen on that night, Like, yeah, right, there's so many questions, Uh, but I love it. I'm so happy to not know the answers. Yeah, same, So what's this little ghost girl story?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So my mom started her teaching career in like the early eighties in Milwaukee, so it's like two hours south of where I live. And she said that there was this day that they, her and her friend were walking back from their school to their apartment. They share an apartment together, and they taught at the same school, and they saw a little girl sitting in the window of a building that was like, I don't know, she said, of pretty run down. I'm not sure if it was lived in or not. But it was a little girl, white dress, sitting in the window looking down at them.
Speaker 3: And my mom said it was very notable.
Speaker 4: Enough that she like stopped and looked and kind of put that in.
Speaker 3: For a moment.
Speaker 4: So then she just continued on and went home, and she was in her bedroom taking a nap, and she woke up from a voice that was, she said, not like literally audible, like from vocals, but something she could hear more like in her head or in like some other space. And she said, the little girl was sitting next to her and talking to her, and I don't know what was being said. I probably should have asked that detail, but it must not have been alarming, my mom said.
Speaker 3: She never felt.
Speaker 4: Scared in that moment when that happened.
Speaker 3: I mean, she's lived. She lived it and let it go and kept moving because my mom is very open to things.
Speaker 4: So she was like, okay, no, no, kept moving. So then her and my dad probably, like I don't know, maybe ten years after that she had seen that little girl on and off in the window here and there in her apartment whatever. She builds a house with my dad.
Speaker 3: They're back up north again. She has first my.
Speaker 4: Older brother and then me and my older brother would be sitting in the basement, and the basement was obviously lower down, but there were.
Speaker 3: Still windows you could see outside that.
Speaker 4: Were higher up, like if somebody were to be walking by, would only exposed like your feet. And he would always go to my mom and be like, who's the little girl that's running around outside?
Speaker 3: I want to go play with her?
Speaker 4: And my mom didn't want to say that's maybe the little ghost girl that follows me around, but she just would say, oh, you know, nobody's here, it's all good, don't worry about it. But he was like really really insistent that he was seeing this girl.
Speaker 3: So then I had a friend over one night.
Speaker 4: I was in probably like third or fourth grade at this point, and we were up in my bedroom very high, second level, like absolutely not, you could not be standing and be seen, like it's very high up. And my friend wakes me up in the middle of the night and I'm clueless to this whole situation at this point because my mom did not tell me any of this at the time. But this girl wakes me up and she goes, who is that little girl sitting on the side of your roof and she's laughing at me. She woke me up from knocking on the window and laughing at me.
Speaker 1: She's outside on the.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because we were so high up on that second level, there was like a little bit of.
Speaker 3: Roof coming off, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Okay, underneath the window, like a overhang maybe.
Speaker 3: Is the word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 4: So she's standing on that knocking on the window and laughing at my friend, and my friend woke up from it. She describes her to my mom the next morning, because I was like, Mom, there's a little girl on the roof, and my Mom's like, oh, what are the details. She describes her perfectly to my mother. So my mom was just pocketing this information for ever basically just witnessing something or hearing something, and then continuing at the school she was teaching at at the time, there were janitors that were there after hours and they would say to her, yeah, so weird just sing there's a little girl that rome's a hallway sometimes at night, and we don't know who she is or who she could be, and they describe her perfectly to my mom, and my mom is still just pocketing this information and not telling anybody.
Speaker 3: And so my mom finally told me about all of this.
Speaker 4: I don't know, maybe like ten years ago, five years ago. So she said she never felt scared, like it never felt bad to her.
Speaker 3: She didn't know who it could have been.
Speaker 4: But then fast forward to I bought a home with my husband and it's a very very very old home, like we don't know for sure, but it was for sure standing in eighteen eighty and in our guest bedroom there's a direct door that goes into the attic, which is admittedly very spooky for me.
Speaker 3: I don't love that attic.
Speaker 4: We had a friend over who's kind of like I would say, she's like kind of like a loof, but not in a bad way, like she's just very like flowy, very like maybe. And I had not told her any of this because it's not something that comes up, you know, very to random people very often. And I don't know her that well.
Speaker 3: She was at her house and she stayed the night.
Speaker 4: In the morning, she said there was a little girl that walked into her room from the attic. She was wearing a white dress and she was laughing at her. And I was like, well, let tell you about this.
Speaker 3: And I have to this day.
Speaker 4: I have never seen her, but my older brother has, my mom has, a couple of her friends have, and I think my younger brother has as well, but I'm not positive.
Speaker 3: So I think that.
Speaker 4: Potentially she may be in my space now I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: That or there's another little girl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there could be. Because I don't know the history of my house. I can't find anything.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't want a little girl coming out of my attic and laughing at me.
Speaker 3: No, and especially not that attic. That's that's no good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh my god. So when's the last time your mother saw her?
Speaker 3: Hmmm.
Speaker 4: That's a good question, because I don't know if she actually ever ended up seeing her at school, or for she just heard other people talking about her at school. So maybe the last time my mom saw her was in that house that they had built when we were children out in the country, and they got divorced shortly after that and sold it off, so that's not around anymore.
Speaker 1: She doesn't like encounter her at all or half people say like, who's that little girl anymore?
Speaker 4: Not probably since this most recent situation with the lady that was at my house, and that was like two months ago, so that's the last time we've heard about her.
Speaker 1: I'm just wondering if she's now, if she's now joining your family, like I know, yeah, did mom?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 4: I don't know, but she's been described by a lot of people that are spending time around us, so I think it's definitely notable in some capacity.
Speaker 1: We at least she sounds nice.
Speaker 4: That's what it sounds like. It sounds like she's a nice lady.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 1: But like just because your mom saw her one day in a window, that doesn't mean come join me for the next thirty years.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my mom.
Speaker 4: Has you know, speculated like she was a twin in the womb, you know that thing where you kind of absorb your twin or something like maybe they can't form.
Speaker 2: All the way.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: That happened to her when she was in the womb.
Speaker 4: So she likes to make speculation of course, like oh my god, maybe it's like my twin, or but it's like, why would your twin be like an eight year old girl? She was never born, right, So she likes to make speculations for fun. But I have no idea who or why that would attach to her. Of maybe the fact that she is a very open to things. I have no idea.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting theory. I could I could get into that, yes, because you could go along with like when a ghost becomes a ghost or whatever, they can choose their age or I don't know.
Speaker 3: Some people I think.
Speaker 1: That kind of a thing, or they end up being whatever version of them they want to be. So yeah, maybe your mom's absorbed twin is living in your attic. Who knows.
Speaker 3: Maybe that would be a treat. I'm down for that.
Speaker 1: So you also you have seen a ghost? Right?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: I have.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's this story?
Speaker 3: So my husband's dad died. He was twenty two.
Speaker 4: He was a really young father to begin with, and he passed away when my husband was very young, like two years old or something, and so I, of course never met him. I've seen very few pictures of him, like maybe a small handful. He was from Mexico and had only been in the US for a couple of years before he passed away, so I've seen only a couple of pictures, none in specific that relate to what I saw. But my husband's mom said she has a picture that perfectly aligns with what I described. So I would wake up in my bedroom maybe a couple times a week, and I have like closets that are built into like the slant of the roof, so they face each other and then there's like a little archway between them, and it's dark and offset from the rest of the room.
Speaker 3: And I'd wake up and i'd see.
Speaker 4: The outline of a man wearing like a cowboy hat. But I never saw faith. I never saw anything. I just saw a silhouette. But it was enough that it would like make my heart race a little bit, but I wasn't like petrified, so I would see that, I'd just go back to bed because I didn't feel necessarily threatened.
Speaker 3: I'd see it again, go back to bed. Whatever.
Speaker 4: This happened a good handful of times before I finally fully saw him. There was a weekend that I had gone away and I was staying at this cabin, really rustic, small little cabin. I was sleeping on the top bunk of a bunk bed, and I woke up in the middle of the night to the feeling of somebody holding my hand, you know, like kind of how an older person would like grab both of.
Speaker 3: Your hands in their hands.
Speaker 4: And then hold it from the top in the bottom and like shake your hand if they're like saying they love you or something. I woke up feeling that feeling, like somebody's holding my hands top and bottom together but to my chest. And I opened my eyes and I look and.
Speaker 3: My husband's dad was standing right above me, holding my hands.
Speaker 4: He was looking at me. He was aged to where he would be right now. It was very clearly him because they have a very similar face. And he was looking at me, and he had tears in his eyes, and he was holding my hand and he didn't take anything, but you could see in his eyes he was like saying thank you to me, or like for taking care of him and like being with him.
Speaker 3: And you could see like.
Speaker 4: Sorrow in his face because he never got to see Eddie grow up, my husband and meet me and all of this.
Speaker 3: And it's a lot of.
Speaker 4: Assuming that I got in his face, but it felt very clear. And then he poofed away and it was like maybe a minute, maybe a little bit longer, but I was one hundred percent awake, and it was very, very real. I've never seen thetline in my room again.
Speaker 3: It kind of felt like he was trying to show himself but couldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he just wanted to give you that message of thank you, and then he finally was able to get it across.
Speaker 3: That's what it felt like.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if it's like maybe he couldn't do it because I was at home with Eddie, you know, when when he's trying and made because that he's maybe a little more close off to this idea, and I was by myself at that cabin.
Speaker 3: I wasn't with Eddie. When he finally came through, Wow, it was very beautiful.
Speaker 4: It was I mean spooky in the sense of like you wake up and somebody's like looking at you that you can tell is not fully present here. But it was not scary in the way of like I did not feel fearful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was lovely. Yeah, I'm really glad it happened.
Speaker 1: That's like the most beautiful possible version of waking up with a ghost right next to your bad Yes, he's probably be like I've been trying for a while now to tell you thank you. But there's this little girl ghost I know. And then there's this other guy that came out of the closet and he's whispering and I'm sorry. There's a lot of people around here.
Speaker 3: I believe that completely one percent. My house feels alive.
Speaker 1: Well, this is it's right. You gave us some of the scary, you gave us some of the sweet perfect.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for oz. It was such a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jill. Now, this next caller, Ivy, is an archaeologist. Now, these stories aren't necessarily you know, ghosts and UFOs and goblins and whatever. It's not necessarily those kinds of stories. But these are definitely dark, twisted, spooky kinds of weird stories, which I love and I'm down for. I say we opened this podcast up a little bit more to even just weird stuff that's sort of adjacent to the paranormal. You'll see what I mean. Ivy. Let's deal with I'm talking to Ivy. M men. Hello, Ivy, Hello Rah. I am thrilled to be talking to you because you do some archaeological digs. You've dug around and found some fascinating things. This is definitely the first time I think I've ever talked to an archaeologist ever. So thanks for doing this.
Speaker 2: I'm thrilled to be here.
Speaker 1: Some of these stories that you sent, you know, they walk that paranormal line. I can only imagine what you have found. So tell us give us some of your your greatest hits stories.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So one of the times that really stands out to me is I was part of what we call a rapid response burial recovery team.
Speaker 2: So basically what happens.
Speaker 5: Is like say they want to fix a road or a bridge or something, and they come across a bear.
Speaker 2: They call our.
Speaker 5: Team of archaeologists to come out and trying to recover all the human remains, all the burial items that might have been placed with that person as quickly as possible to get them to a safe spot away from the construction work. And in this case, we knew that there was a Native American burial mound right where they had built a bridge. Bridge was starting to fall apart. They had to fix it, had no choice. So we went out there to work with the tribal community to recover as many things as we could from this burial mound.
Speaker 2: And I was one of the.
Speaker 5: People on the team. I actually recovered some human teeth in my screen, which was pretty unusual.
Speaker 2: Everybody around me.
Speaker 5: Was kind of just going rock, rock, rock, nothing, and I'm like, yeah, this looks like a molar to me.
Speaker 2: And it was the first piece of human remains we'd gotten on the job.
Speaker 5: And that night, one of the tribal members who was working with us told me that he was visited in his dreams by an eight year old boy who told him that that.
Speaker 3: Was him that we had found and that.
Speaker 5: He wanted to be reburied and that he appreciated what we were doing. And when he came the next day to tell us about that, the supervisor on the recovery team told us that she had had the tooth analyzed and they had come back and said that it belonged to a younger person somewhere between like eight or ten years old. So we were all pretty convinced that maybe this was like a legit visit from whoever this person used to be, And it meant a lot to all of us on this that whoever this ancestral person was, they approved of what we were doing.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: So yeah, when you're smart as you are and all these you know, science minded people around you, do you have people that you work with in this industry that take this kind of thing seriously, you know, when it comes to the spiritual side of what you might be digging up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's kind of a spectrum. There's definitely some people out there who are like capital s science and they don't want to hear anything about things that we can't take a picture of. But I think that more and more, a lot of mostly the younger people coming into archaeology, are starting to appreciate that there's things that we can explain and that there's particularly a lot of like tribal and indigenous knowledge that we are Particularly as myself, as like a white outsider, I'm not going to be able to bring that to the table.
Speaker 2: But what I can do is open my mind and.
Speaker 5: Listen when they tell us things and try to incorporate that even when we're doing a survey on tribal land and somebody comes and tells us like, oh, this particular like rock out cropping or this tree is really meaningful, even if I can't understand why from my perspective, if they tell me it is, then I know that it has to have some kind of cultural significance. And for that reason we try to make sure that that's accounted for whenever somebody wants to do any kind of developments in that area.
Speaker 1: That's so great that that has taken seriously. And you know, I think, particularly when it comes to like the paranormal side of things, there's such a long, long story of like ancient Native American burial ground and that's you know, this spooky thing that you know, it's like, okay, people are just like building houses on top of Like yeah, I would be pissed too. Don't make the uh indigenous people that lived there and made it a sacred place like they're not the ones that are being spooky.
Speaker 5: Well, I think too, Like when you have these areas where like people they want to live next to the lake because it's nice, I'm like, yeah, so do people a thousand years ago and so like that same.
Speaker 2: Sort of like desire and energy.
Speaker 5: I think can build up in that location, and so people keep coming back.
Speaker 2: To it for the same reason.
Speaker 5: Totally that might not be scientific, I think it still has an effect on like our lived experience.
Speaker 1: What's this Bulgaria story.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So, even though I work in Minnesota now, when I was in grad school doing my dissertation research, I wanted to be a European archaeologist. So I did some field work in Bulgaria and we were working in a very small town called Sosopol, near a medieval church, but we knew there used to be like an ancient Greek colony there, which is what I was kind of looking for. Towards the end of the season, we were digging in the churchyard and we started to come across some human leg bones, and the more and more of the skeleton got uncovered, the more we started to see that this was kind of unusual.
Speaker 2: And when they had the full thing exposed, they saw that the.
Speaker 5: Skeleton had an iron rod stuck through its chest, which in Bulgaria is pretty common for what they considered kind of like an anti vampire, like a vampire prevention method where you stick the skeleton into its grave so it can't come back.
Speaker 2: And get you later.
Speaker 5: And they were actually two skeletons in this churchyard that that had been done to them, and you can actually still see them if you go to Sozopol today.
Speaker 4: They have them preserve there.
Speaker 2: At the museum.
Speaker 5: And I guess this is one of over one hundred vampire burials that they have in Bulgaria, and this particular one is about seven hundred years old.
Speaker 2: So if they're trying to say, if you.
Speaker 5: Are a vampire tourist, you can skip Transylvania and come to Bulgaria instead and they will show you all of them.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I'm sure, like with witches in the past, there's probably some other modern explanation for why people thought these people were vampires or whatever. But even still, were you a little bit scared when you found that?
Speaker 5: I mean, I figure, you know, if they had a reason to think there might be something going on with this person where they wanted to make sure they stayed in their graves, then why not like stick an iron rod through them. I mean, they're already dead. Better safe than sorry keep them in the ground.
Speaker 1: Do you think about like curses when you do that kind of work I.
Speaker 5: Do for me, it's mostly I don't want to leave a negative energy or a negative impact. I mean, I've had a colleague of mine who accidentally excavated what she called a witch's pit in England practicing witches, we're using the same area and they had buried some ritual items there and she was worried she had been cursed when she excavated that, and so she like went to some local groups to ask them like what do I do to like kind of say like, this was an accident, I didn't mean to disturb any rituals, and they kind of gave her some advice. But I think about that too, where I'm like, I just want to make my intentions clear. And I feel like in most cases, like if you come in with good intentions that you can kind of make up for the fact that it's your job to dig up things and to disturb the past.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like if the curse is just like comfortably sleeping underground and then it gets woken up, like hopefully they'll be like like you can be like I'm sorry, and then the curse will be like, oh okay, it's fine. But like if someone wakes me up in the middle of the night and I've been sleeping all hell will break loose. Isn't there famous story of forgetting the guy's name, but the guy that found King Todd's sarcophagus.
Speaker 5: The curse of the Mummy, I think, is the one that most people think of when they think about kind of curses in archaeology, And I think the popular knowledge of the story is that they open up this tomb that have been sealed for so long that some kind of bacteria or something got into the lungs of the people who were involved, and so a bunch of people who had been on the excavation died. And I don't know how much truth there is to that, but I do know that one of my jobs on my crew is that I'm responsible for cruse safety in the field, and so I read a lot about like what can get into like the dirt that can be contaminated that you can gets sticked from, and what kind of hazards are.
Speaker 2: There for archaeologists work in the.
Speaker 5: Field, and it seems like we have a lot more to fear from being bit by ticks while we're out there than we do from any curses or ancient bacteria.
Speaker 1: Well that reminds me of another story that use me. This is the bog story. I gotta hear this one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I guess I'll give a trigger warning on this one that if people are squeamish that they may not want to listen to.
Speaker 2: The full story.
Speaker 5: A colleague of mine was working in Ireland, and Ireland has a lot of peak bogs which are really great for archaeology because they don't have oxygen underground, so like stuff like wood or fabric or organic materials that would normally dissolve over time don't decay, so you can get things that are preserved amazingly.
Speaker 2: For hundreds of years.
Speaker 5: Like your example of this is that sometimes they have found butter that people have stored in the bogs, almost like an ancient refrigerator, because it won't go bad when it's in the bog, and so they could keep butter there and people could find it hundreds of years later and it could still be edible. So this crew was working and they found a deposit of what they thought was this bog butter, and they were like, oh my god, like this is like a once in a lifetime opportunity to like try food from literally one hundred years.
Speaker 2: Ago, like, who wants to try this?
Speaker 5: So they took a break and the crew like decided to try some of this bog butter, And then they decided to go back to work a little bit later and continue their excavation. And as they continued accavating, they realized that what they had tried was not bog butter, but it was in fact fat that had leached out of a bog body. So they had accidentally eaten human fat while they were excavating. So I guess that makes them accidentally cannibal. But what I like to do is tell the story to my students to tell them that the one thing that you have to know about archaeology is just because you could put in your mouth doesn't mean that you should.
Speaker 1: Did they say what it tasted like?
Speaker 5: You know, nobody wanted to tell me that, And I have to imagine that at least one person was like, you know, this is pretty good.
Speaker 1: It's isn't bad now if there is a body in there, so we know that some of the fact can leak out and it looks like butter, but can like a body just stay preserved in one of those and look like it did the day it died.
Speaker 5: They get kind of leathery still, but they still have their skin and their organs and everything. They just kind of dry out a bit, so like if you were out in the sun with no lotion for like a year, you gets pretty tanned up, but they still look like a person. They have some on display. I've seen some in the British Museum. Every once in a while they'll do like a touring exhibit. But yeah, it's pretty amazing, like they still have their hair and like one of them, you can even still see like the braid that they had in their hair, so it's kind of amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, put me in one of those. I want that. Well, this has been wonderful. Are there any other stories before we wrap up that you would like to share?
Speaker 2: The only other.
Speaker 5: One I can think of is that fairly recently we were serving area that was on tribal land, and we've been told by the tribe that they had been contacted by a psychic who said that she had been out there and heard a little girl, and she said that the girl was laughing. But the tribe told us they had heard stories that some girl had been abandoned by her parents out there and it died, and so they told us when we served that they wanted us to not only record any archaeological finds that we had, but they wanted us to record any experiences or feelings or anything unusual that anybody had sensed while they were out there. And so we were all kind of like on the alert for like something spooky gonna happen. None of us really had any experiences, but the tribe still like kind of has an area out there that they think that this might be where this little girl maybe passed away. But I'm hoping that if the psychic said she was laughing, that she's not having a bad time out there, that she's having a good time.
Speaker 1: So hopefully I'm sure. Yeah, yeah, wow, I love all of this. Thank you so much for sharing all of this and for all the work that you do. And now I know to be careful with what kind of butter I put on my toast.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: So cool, I know, in archaeologist. Now, thank you, Ivy. And here's one more for yeah. Now this one little trigger warning there is a mention of suicide. Here's our final caller, Randy, who's got stories four days give it to us. Randy, Oh my god. I am joined by Randy in Illinois. Hello Randy hypoo. You are neighbors with Resurrection Mary, who we recently talked about with Mo Welch. Have you encountered Resurrection Mary.
Speaker 3: I have not, but my friend and I used to always drive along the road that you're supposed to be able to find her on and we would kind of dare to look for her, but we always chickened out.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to thank you off the top of this little conversation because you're one of the people that was campaigning to get me on exactly right when I had a little hiatus with the show and I was looking for a new home. You contacted exactly right, and I appreciate that it worked out.
Speaker 3: Yes, the minute I heard well before that, just listening to you, I was like, how is this not unexactly right? This is perfect for them. And then as soon as I heard that, like the minute I was on Gmail writing.
Speaker 1: That is so sweet, thank you we manifested it, I.
Speaker 3: Was like, I can't live without rass, I can't live.
Speaker 1: With thank you. Well, let's hear sab your stories. So you have some college stories, and I love a haunted college because all these people are out on their own for the first time, and then they're stuck living at a place where there's ghosts everywhere. There's a lot of haunted colleges, especially these old ass colleges that have been here for years. There's always some lady walking around in a blue dress or something. And you have encountered some college ghosts, so tell us about it.
Speaker 3: So I went to two schools, both haunted.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The first one was in Lake Forest, Illinois, close to the beach where they shot Cameron's car coming out of the glass window and Faris dealers. They are, Oh, that place is called Barrah College. It's no longer there. They've torn the building down and everything. I actually have one of the bricks from the building still. But my experience I was with that same friend that we used to dare each other about resurrection Mary and full disclosure. We ate some mushrooms, but not a ton, not a ton. We were just you know, tripping, having a good old time. And it was really really negative temperatures against Illinois dead of winter. I mean, it's just horrible out and nobody's going outside. It's really really late, like you know, probably two three in the morning would be my guest. And there was a roof connecting my dorm to the main building, and that was all ice over and my friend and I saw and it was also a very very small college. You knew everybody's face, it was so tiny. My friend and I saw what we believe must have been a ghost because I've never seen this person before, and they were walking on the ice, in that cold, on the roof and without a ladder, which there was no ladder. I don't know how you would have gotten on that roof. My friends and I were really we loved getting on roofs. It was just like our thing back and then so I know, there was no way on that roof, and we were pretty freaked out by it. You know, should we knock? Should we we try to get its attention? And then I was you know, we were too scared, like what happens if it gets angry? Can it just come in here? Like what happened? So we just kind of let it go. But the spirit, whatever it was, just kept walking back and forth. You know, you always hear, oh, there's a transparency to it. It looked just like a person, but again, it just wouldn't make sense for a person to be out there. There was also a cemetery on the property where some of the nuns that had worked in the school in the past were buried. So basically everybody that was there had their own haunted story. My partner Greg, who he was just my friend at the time, he was in the chapel where there was famously a little ghost girl that people would see. And he was sitting in the pews with his girlfriend at the time, and he looked up in the area where they have the organ and he saw like around the bars of that staircase, little hands and then a little face peering out at him. They met eyes and when he turned to, you know, tell his girlfriend, hey, look at the a little bit of what I'm looking at, it was gone. So that was his experience.
Speaker 1: I'm still thinking about the guy walking on the icy roof, I know, I know, I think that that was a guy that was hooking up with a nun back in the day. This is what my psychic reading is. This is a guy he was hooking up with a nun and then he was trying to sneak out and then he slipped and fell. But even if that wasn't a ghost, not to be morbid. But if you're walking on an icy roof, you're about to be a ghost if you know me.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 1: So this place people talked about it was on Unsolved Mysteries, right.
Speaker 4: Well that's the rumor.
Speaker 3: But I've had the hardest time trying to find it, so I'm not sure. But I have heard that from many, many, many people. I just have not found it myself.
Speaker 1: So you also encountered like a demony kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that night I was by myself. I want to say, oh gosh, you know, that was like twenty years ago now, since I've been in school, So I think I was probably in the dark room more than likely, which, oddly enough, never felt haunted. It was like the one place that didn't feel creepy, even though it should have. It was underground, so I had gone into the main building and was trying to get back to my dorms late at night. Nobody around, and I just felt like I was being followed. It was just really creepy, and I started I just started getting so creeped out that I ran into the room where my roommate at the time was sleeping, and I looked at the window and the window was fogged up in the shape of a like a head with horns. And when I looked out at other windows, you know, nearby, nobody else had fog like that on their windows, So I don't know what that was about, but it was very creepy and I had a hard time sleeping.
Speaker 1: That is terrifying.
Speaker 3: I'm glad I didn't have this experience. But a friend of mine there woke up to, you know, it might have been a sleep paralysis type of thing, but she woke up to what looked like a dark human figure made of dark leaves, and it just dissipated in front of her.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's normal. Yeah, that happens to me all the time. Oh my gosh. But now the whole place is gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they kept I want to say they might have kept like pieces of the building, but I don't know. I haven't been over there to see what still remains since moving back, because I was in Portland for almost fifteen years.
Speaker 1: Ryan Murphy, this is your next American horror story. I mean, it's kind of perfect. There's anytime a haunted place like this has like a full cast where there's like a little ghost girl. There's some weird demon thing. We can have somebody playing the leaf Man in the middle of the night, like I love this. I'm picturing the IMDb already. Okay, tell me about the next college you went to.
Speaker 3: That was the College of Santa Fe, which also no longer exists, but the building is still there. I have visited the building since then and it's very creepy. It feels ghostly on campus. But that school is an old military base and the lunchroom. To get down to the lunch room, you went down a really long haul and that hallway is where they used to push soldiers like on a stretcher like down to you know what was then the lunch room, you know, way back in the day, was where they were treating injuries, like a little hospital area. And then the fridge where they kept all the food was once the morgue.
Speaker 2: Perfect.
Speaker 3: Actually, it didn't feel quite as haunted there to me as the other school personally, but I know a lot of people had all kinds of different experiences there. My own experience there was the first room that I was in. It was a dorm room that was by myself, and you know, it was my first time, you know that far away from all my family and everything, and I would be going to sleep at night and I would hear like as if a guy was like whispering in my ear.
Speaker 2: I'd jump up.
Speaker 3: They'd be there, it's say to go away. Nothing would happen, and as I would be, you know, getting to my fullest sleep, I would hear something really loud in my ear, like loud whispers. I can't remember anything that was said anymore, it was so long ago, but I did end up sleeping on my friends floor, and so I could figure out a way out of there because the ghost wouldn't go away. There was no way I could tell the school, oh, I'm hearing whispers. Thankfully, there was a street light outside the window, so I ended up saying that it was the light that was keeping me up. And I was able to transfer to a different room because of that. And then the person that was there after me, they didn't experience anything like that. So I was thinking, well, maybe it's just me. But then one day on my way out, I heard a group of people talking in front of that door of that room, and they said they were talking about how it's the haunted room and talking about these different experiences that they've heard about so it wasn't just me, and that made me feel less crazy.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I wonder if you would have said it's the haunted room, like can you move me out of here? It's haunted, and like what the people have been like, yeah, we know. I don't know year was this?
Speaker 3: This was well, it was actually during nine to eleven. During that time, because I remember when I found out about it. My friend was waking me up on the floor and she said, Randy, Randy, the Pentagon was just attacked And I said, what's the Pentagon?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was too young. I didn't know. But anyway, so that's that's how I remember what you're It.
Speaker 1: Was two thousand and one, so he is probably like Mariah Carey's Glitter is about to be in theaters. No see it for me, I'm a ghost.
Speaker 5: I can't go.
Speaker 1: I really want to see it. Okay, So where else have you been? Haunted? And lived in?
Speaker 3: The last house in Portland that I lived in, it was kind of a quirky house. We heard from these two neighbors across the street that we called the Golden Boys, that the roof was blown off back in the day from mess Lab experiment gone wrong. Okay, and then they also used to shoot pornos in the basement amazing well, and when when I heard about it, I was like saying, oh, what do you think porno ghosts? Fundly, my partner ended up finding a secret trap door that looked down into the basement from the bathroom, and so I kind of can't help but wonder if maybe that we had something to do with like getting some interesting camera angles and thinking maybe, so.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is actually a TikTok trend that my algorithm shows me NonStop, which is people finding trap doors in like Victorian houses and digging them up and going into it. There's a whole world of this of people doing this, and I just can't help but to think, don't go in there. That's when they used to keep the bodies that you guys did go in there. And then what did you.
Speaker 3: Lea Well, we could just say down to the washers. It was just literally just a space to get where you could throw something down from the bathroom to the laundry what was now the laundry room. But I'm thinking that they must have created it to get a good camera angle. I don't know why else it would have been there. Or just you know, throw your laundry right in the wash, right from your bathroom.
Speaker 1: I like the first theory, and I appreciate anyone that's artistic in that world and you know, trying to do inventive things and not just filming. People do win it like they're like, Okay, this one's going to be different. We're going to get the we're going to get the angle through the wall. So it seems like you're a fly on the wall, Like I think that's beautiful exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the kitchen of that house before we even moved in there, our friends went there before us, and I always felt like there'd be nobody in there, but always felt like, oh, there's like a presence in here, like here and there. It never felt exactly like the same person. So after living there for a while, I don't know if it's because I was listening to so much ghosted that it was.
Speaker 2: Sorry, no, it's fine, it's fine, I love it.
Speaker 3: But I just would always have these feelings it there was like different people that would come through, Like I don't know if it's like an inter dimensional thing, a ghost thing, I'm not sure, but it would just feel like these different entities would come through the kitchen, they wouldn't really interact with me. There was one time where one did, and I do feel like it was my grandfather. I felt like I was being hugged and lifted so my feet never like came off of the ground, and it really felt like him. So I think that it may have been during that time a cousin of mine had killed himself and my sister when she found out, she was on vacation at the time, and these pictures and this is like, you know, digital pictures modern day. This isn't like back in the day with film where you would get like shining orbs and stuff like that. This is digital. So in those pictures, every picture that she's in, she saw this blue orb during that time. Within a couple days of that, I started seeing and it happened a couple of times where I saw it on the outside of where that kitchen is, a blue, very bright flash of light. So I do feel like that probably was my cousin. I just because of the coincidence alone. She was in Illinois, he was an Illinois I was still in Portland.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'm sold. I think it could be for sure. Yeah, but you also saw in that house like a creature.
Speaker 3: So I was in the backyard and it was nighttime. I had actually never heard of the mos man before listening to Ghosted, and then I have heard so much since. But I was just sitting out there, wasn't looking for anything. I wasn't feeling extra spooky or nothing like that. All of a sudden, I'm looking up in the silhouettes of the pine trees again. It's nighttime. All I know is I saw and heard very loudly a huge figure like the size of a tall man that looked like it was covered in wax feathers, jumped from one tree to the next tree, and it was so spooky, and I can't I have no idea what the hell that was. My partner was right there. I said, did you see that? How did you not hear that? He said he saw or heard nothing.
Speaker 1: What if it was the leaf man that your friend saw? Maybe it could be.
Speaker 2: Maybe I like.
Speaker 1: The thought of the moth and being like someone talking about me in a podcast like that's me just like popping by to say hi. One time I was in an airport and somebody sitting next to me was I'm not nosy, but I saw on their phone that they were listening to a podcast that I was on that had just dropped that day, and I wanted to be like, that's me, but I didn't say anything. But maybe that's what the moth Man was doing. Well, Randy, you gave us all kinds of stories and I appreciate it. Thank you so much for doing this.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for having me. It's been so amazing talking to you.
Speaker 1: Oooh, I'm exactly right, thanks to you, Randy. And there we go another listener phone call extravaganza. Thank you so much to Jill, Ivy and Randy. I love you all, both living and dead. But if I didn't ask you to haunt me, don't haunt me, kay By. This has been an exactly right production. Want to share your paranormal experience on the podcast. I read stories out loud and sometimes I'll even call you, so email me at ghosted by Roz at gmail dot com. You can send a DM or voice message to the show's instagram at ghosted by Roz. Give us a follow while you're there, and follow me Roz on Instagram at Roz Hernandez and on TikTok and Twitter at It's Roz Hernandez. My senior producer is the startling Jiha Lee. Associate producer is the alarming Christina Chamberlain. This episode was mixed and sound designed by the eerie Edson Choi. My guest booker is the petrifying Patrick Kuttner. Additional aduction support from the hair raising Hannah Kyle Krichten. My theme music is by the spine chilling Brendan Lynch Salomon. Artwork by the Spooky Vanessa Lilac. Photography by the terrifying Elizabeth Karen. Executive produced by the chilling Karen Kilgareth, the Spooky Georgia hard Start, and the frightening Danielle Kramer.