Speaker 1: What a hell of a show coming your way today. Okay, the NBA playoffs are in full effect. I gotta talk about that. Jannis might want out of Milwaukee. I gotta talk about that. Mjay is coming back to the NBA. I got to talk about that. Plus Diddy's trial. Gotta talk about that. And there are people that are saying that I need to be quiet. One of those people includes the one and only Charles Barkley. Simple question, albeit rhetorical, when the hell do I listen to people tell me what to do when it comes to being me? I'll address that too. Steven A. Smith Show in the house, scho what's up, everybody? Welcome to the Lady. This edition to the Stephen A. Smith Show coming at you over the digital airways of YouTube and of course iHeartRadio at least three times a week. As always, I like to pause for a moment and thank my subscribers and followers for continuing to support the show, which continues to grow by leaps and bounds every single day. We've eclipsed millions upon millions of downloads over the last few months courtesy of iHeart Radio, and of course we're going over one point two to one million subscribers over the digital airways of YouTube. If it wasn't for your love and support, that would not happen. Please don't think that gets lost in the source when it comes to me. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Keep supporting the show and I'm gonna keep on coming. To continue to like and follow the show, just click the bell and get notified for our newest content and YouTube show. Consider yourself the latest member of the stephen A. Smith Show family. And while you're doing that, please, please please take a moment to pick up a copy of my New York Times best selling book, Straight Shooter, a Memoir of Second Chances and First Takes, now in paperback. Just go to straight shootobook dot com to get yourself a copy. Once aget in that straight shoot tobook dot com to get yourself a copy. Before I get into some stuff about Giannas, some stuff about the NBA playoffs. I don't know if y'all have heard the news, but the goat himself, Yes, I said the goat, Michael Jordan, not some other dude that all of y'all keep mentioning it. Michael Jordan, Michael Jeffrey Jordan. You know that six time champion. You understand, you know that first that ten time All NBA First Team or eleven time All NBA First Team, that ten times scoring champion, that six time NBA Finals MVP. For anybody who knows basketball, the guy universally recognizes the greatest who have ever touched a basketball. That dude, the billionaire, by the way, owner of the Jordan brand. That dude. Well, did y'all hear that he is returning to the NBA. Michael Jeffrey Jordan is coming back to the NBA in fairness, albeit periodically. It's not every week's not every day. Michael Jordan will be seen on NBC for their NBA coverage next season. It will be periodical. Nevertheless, he will be coming on as a contributor, somebody that's going to be given commentary expressing his opinion and to use his words that he is fond of saying. He's not trying to be brutal, just honest in any way you slice it, any way you slice it. Let me tell you this about Michael Jordan. Obviously, he's somebody that I know, got a lot of love for I've known her for many years. We talk quite often and clearly He's a brilliant basketball mind. How could you not be being as great as he was? My only suggestion would be to NBC, And that would be even though this is not something that you should you would normally take into consideration, I would ask you to do this because I kind of know a thing or two about television and what works for television, and I'm just giving you some friendly advice even though it's not ESPN or ABC. Instead it's a competitor like NBC Number one. You might want to let him smoke your cigars because the Michael Jordan smoking a cigar is a little bit different than the Michael Jordan than a The Michael Jordan has smoke those cigars gets very very relaxed. When he's very very relaxed, he tends to be a bit more outspoken. And that dude, trust me. Y'all, y'all want to see that brother on television. You want to see that brother on television, And just think for a second. Just think for a second. I'm not talking about statistical data that you can analyze, dissect and refute. If the man is talking to you about basketball, what the hell are you gonna say? If Michael Jordan's not that he would. But let's say, for the sake of argument, if Michael Jordan was to sit up there and say that brother can't play, who's gonna refute it? If he's just there and said that brother can't close. Uh, who you think is gonna refute it? If he sits there and says, Yo, this is a dude, I want the ball to when the game's on the line, as he's analyzing and dissecting the game of basketball, and he's telling you what's happening in the moment, and he's telling you what this dude or that dude is going to do. What you're gonna say. This is basketball analysis. This is an ownership where you gotta take a whole bunch of financial things into consideration. This is pure basketball. And I assure you, outside of bringing Amar Rashard back to NBC to be the one talking with him, there's nothing better than putting a cigar in that brother's hands. Gets very relaxed. And I'm telling you it's gonna be mussy television no matter what, because when Michael Jordan speaks, we gonna listen. But especially if the brother got a cigar in his hand, just trust me on this seems like a little little thing, like a stick of something. No no, no, no, no, trust me. Trust me. Now, let me divert back to a different subject in a current NBA player. We're gonna get started in the NBA, and before we get to the players, I want to talk about the future of Jannis after the Kompo with the Milwaukee Bucks. League sources tell esping that Giannis is reportedly open to exploring his best long term option after three consecutive postseasons in the first round. Combine that with the fact that Dame Lillard will likely be out at least a year with the rupture achilles injury he suffered a few weeks ago. Anthon the Kumpo was drafted by Milwaukee in twenty thirteen and spent his entire twelve season career with the Milwaukee Bucks. He's a champion, a Finals MVP, a two time NBA MVP, and a Defensive Player of the Year, most Improved Player, and an eight time All start a boot all right, all NBA, I'm sorry, a time All NBA, and a nine time All Star. So this is not a surprise. The Milwaukee Bucks don't have draft capital for the next five years, which means that essentially you have to depend on free agency and who they're gonna go out and get. The best thing they could do was ship Chris Middleton out to get in Kyle Kuzman. How did that work out? They got some decent pieces. They're not scrubs. They can play Damian Lillard when healthy is a superstar in this league, make no mistake about it, and Yannis is an all world player. But the reality is is that he needs help that the Milwaukee Bucks franchise can't get. A matter of fact, they need him to bring in additional help upon his departure. And that's what we have to look at here. Jannis is in the discussion for the greatest European player who has ever lived, and one of the greatest big men the game has ever seen world over worldwide. And even though the Lakers traded for Luka Doncic and didn't have to give up but so much in draft capital. That cannot be the case for the Milwaukee Bucks. If you're gonna lose Gianna Santha to Kopo, there needs to be multiple draft picks. It needs to be something along the lines of what the New York Knicks gave up for Michel Bridges, which is five first round picks.
Speaker 2: Four.
Speaker 1: I'm protected that's what it needs to be. Something like that, which means it'll probably require getting a third team involved. Either way you slice it.
Speaker 3: The bottom line is this somebody brought up the Knicks. Did somebody bring up the Knicks? I'm like a genie. You mentioned it, Nickson, I'm popping up.
Speaker 1: Did you walk in the middle of my damn satment? I did, cause I'm trying well listen just because you of age, don't mean as your uncle, I won't get up this chin whip your ass. You don't walk in and interrupt my openness a little. QUI my opening monologist rub with you.
Speaker 3: I'm here to make sure I shadow you. I don't have a ticket, so I'm with you. Be attached at the Hit until ten o'clock tonight.
Speaker 1: Looking like that with the damn towel on your head.
Speaker 3: I look like I'm supposed to be in that front road intimidating the Celtics, unlike all you celebrities.
Speaker 4: I'm here.
Speaker 1: Could you at least shut the hell up so I can finish this before I get to you? Can you shut up anyway? My point is, if you're Yannis and you want to depart, here's the question to throw out to all of y'all for consideration. You don't have to answer it today. You definitely not answer it today. Do you tell the Milwaukee Bucks I want to become a New York Knick. Do you tell them Milwaukee Bucks I want to become a Los Angeles Laker? Or do you tell the Milwaukee Bucks. I'm open to going to Oklahoma City to join SGA, I'm open to going to San Antonio to join Victim and Bianna. Y'am a rather, what do you do Andy Aaron Fox? Let's not forget him. What do you do if you're are Yannis at the compo? Now, my first order of business will say the New York Knicks. That would be me. It's a Matison Square garden, It's the mecca. You understand, I'll let you I'll let you comment about that real quickly. Do you agree with that absolutely that he could become to New York?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Who do you give up for the statue of Liberty? Tom Thibodeau one of my kids. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: We need anything for Janness, anything including.
Speaker 4: Brunton, not Michael Jaylen.
Speaker 3: That's the that's the that's the pair we need everybody else. We got macau for five picks. Give the five picks five more.
Speaker 1: So you to give up Og, Michel, Karl, Anthony Towns, all of that, right, Yeah, the liberty too.
Speaker 3: Whoever it is you honestly talking about you, anything about it is.
Speaker 1: I can't even disagree with I can't even disagree with you. I'm with you on that. But we can talk about that another day because i gotta get onto another subject. The NBA Draft lottery is tonight with the Jazz, Wizards, and Hornets all having a fourteen percent chance of landing the number one overall pick, which is the most which most expect to be Cooper Flag. And this is where I'm at with this Cooper Flag. This is clearly his draft, and I like the kid. The kid is special, make no mistake about it, Cooper Flag Ball. But there were four occasions this year when he had an opportunity to close, and not only did he fail to close, but half the time it involved turnovers. And so I'm looking at it from that standpoint, and clearly he's too young to judge or whatever, and the skills a real big time. There's no doubt about that. I think he's got a bright, bright future. He's got Utah written all over him, even though I would like to see if somebody like Houston could get their hands on them, or if somebody like Saying Antonio could get their hands on them, because the one thing about Cooper Flag in this draft is that whoever gets the number one overall pick is going to have major, major leverage when it comes potentially to acquiring somebody like a Gianni Sante Takumpo. You just never know. Now, I will allow my nephew to come in here to talk to me about the NBA playoffs. How are you feeling about our Knicks as they approach Game four to night against the Bosston Celtics after getting she lacked in Game three and in the vast majority of the first three games in this series, being down twenty even though they came back and won in games one and two. How you feeling about the Knicks right now?
Speaker 3: I'm not feeling too good, and it's it's because of the coach. And I hate to sound like a dead horse, but Tom Thibodell played Jalen Brunson forty minutes last game and we was down twenty for forty out of the forty eight minutes. At what point do you rust them and think about the next round if we beat the Celtics. We lost to the Pacers last year and they run up and down Michael Jalen twenty seven now for twenty one. I mean, what we gotta do is start Mitchell Robinson.
Speaker 4: That's the answer.
Speaker 1: Start Mitchell Robinson, who's shooting seven of twenty three from the free throw line thirty That Mitchell Robinson. You say, start him?
Speaker 3: Why because they're fouling him when we're in the penalty, so he goes to the line. Start him the first five minutes of a quarter when we're not in the penalty. So if you're gonna foil him, she's not gonna go to the line.
Speaker 2: Simple things.
Speaker 1: Or if you foul him an a motion of shooting, then he will go to the loft.
Speaker 4: You know, he'll never have the ball motion to shooting.
Speaker 1: But sometimes he does get the ball. Sometimes he is getting found when he grabs a rebound and he goes for a footback of something that is true.
Speaker 4: Now strict to strictly dunk the ball or something like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, if you're gonna fil him in, but to foul him when we just dribbling up the court and you're slowing down the game, it's almost like watching a football game. You're stopping in between. They got to set up some type of rule. Y'all just gonna let that happen.
Speaker 1: Well, you sound like a person that's really really upset because you expected the Knicks to win this series? Did you really expect him to win the series of where you're just trying to be a contrarian and act like you were just you was feeling differently because you want to show that you different from everybody else, even with that weak ass towel on your head like everybody else wears.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm a ftan of knowing what you know? Now, Jalen Brunson, is he better than you, Holliday?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 4: He is Macal Bridges. Is he better than Jaylen Brown?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Is OG better than Tatum?
Speaker 1: Not that after the last game, OG did nothing, but it matters, It matters, and overall Tatum is better than OG. We love OG, but OG ain't Jason Tatum?
Speaker 4: What towns?
Speaker 1: What about towns? He's a shooter. He's a shooter. But his post game is suspect. His defense has been suspect as well, and just watching it run up and down the floor, it's uncomfortable to watch. He don't look like the healthiest cat out there.
Speaker 5: You know what it is?
Speaker 3: We gotta fire Tom Tibberda on high and mellow about Carmelo Anthony as the coach was JJ Reddick.
Speaker 4: What's the different?
Speaker 1: Carmelo Anthony has never shown any inclination to coach whatsoever. He's never said that he wanted to coach, never said that is, yes, he did, JJ Reddick. Everybody and the mother knew that JJ Reddick wanted to be a coach.
Speaker 4: So what does he do about it?
Speaker 3: He wasn't coaching, So you go on first take when you want to be a coach, I guess I want to be a coach.
Speaker 1: To that that that that that is? I mean some people, I mean Doc Rivers was on TV before before and everybody looked at that and they hired him, Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy and others. I mean, these positions in television do lead to head coaching jobs.
Speaker 3: Well, I think we should switch it up or the coaching jobs. Mello has a podcast, so we respect his voice.
Speaker 1: That's one too, So you respect the voice of him just because he has a podcast as opposed to anybody else.
Speaker 4: That's just one of the reasons. But the other reason would.
Speaker 3: Be he could tell kat Listen, Drew Holidays behind you bury him, what are you at the three point line?
Speaker 5: For?
Speaker 4: You got him fore arming you out to the three.
Speaker 1: Point He is the best shooting big man in basketball, but his lower extremities are not that's big. Is not that strong. Rather and his feet, his feet, his side twenty one feet. I hear the brother has bad feet.
Speaker 4: Did you hear that before we go?
Speaker 1: Before we traded everybody fan? Yes, But because he could shoot so well and we needed somebody to the assistant shooting, we didn't mind the giving up of Julius random and Dante's Vincenzo. Even though I will concede this as I'm watching the Knicks in this series and I'm seeing even though they won the first two games, or what have you just watch, I shouldn't say this series, Eason, I have found myself watching Julius Randall and saying to myself in this postseason and saying to myself, if we could have kept Hartenstein with Randall and Devincenzo. That might have been better than having called Anthony Towns and Michel Bridges. That's how I'm feeling right now. That's what it is you think, which means that you have a problem with what Leon Rose did.
Speaker 4: No, not really. We lost toughness with Julius Randall, which I said off the beginning.
Speaker 3: We went for talent over toughness, and right now against the Celtics, that's what we need.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be series with Carling, Anthony Towns, talent shines.
Speaker 1: Hold on whose watch you got on? What? Whose watch do you have on mine? Where do you get it? Joe the jewry at the jewelry store.
Speaker 4: You're not gonna keep saying, I'm still people watching.
Speaker 1: When it looked like you looked like an old watch that I had that was in my jewelry box. I just looked at it the other day. And when when you have when when you have my hot mouse? When you at my house? When when you at my house that was in my jewelry box.
Speaker 3: Josh, listen, your friend Michael Jilden, Let's get to him. Why are you talking like he's some some basketball guru?
Speaker 2: Genius.
Speaker 1: Is he not? Is he not? I'm talking about just talking about analysis. You can't go about all the ownership and all of that stuff because you're purchasing a team in a small market, obviously you got to take finances into consideration. You're trying to make money and stuff like that, and then sometimes that goes a rod, which is why he's not really really doing that anymore. But that doesn't mean he doesn't know the game.
Speaker 4: Did he draft Brown?
Speaker 1: Yes, he did.
Speaker 4: Did he draft Cody Zellen?
Speaker 2: Number four?
Speaker 1: Three? I believe. I believe it was three.
Speaker 4: I believe about Frank Kaminski over Devin Booker.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: You see drafted Shade, which was a good draft, traded him for miles of ridges.
Speaker 4: Why I don't want to listen to Michael Jordan talk about basketball.
Speaker 1: We know what he did. You know what. You're not gonna be on this show. We're gonna change the subject. You will not disrespect the great Michael Jordan. That will not happen. That will not happen. Not the greatest player who has ever lived, good, good, great, great, the greatest, the greatest. Let's be very very clear, watch your mouth, mind your manners. You know what you're talking about here? One minute youre talking about your mama. The next who, by the way, is the Disney World right now? Enjoining usself? Right? And stuff like that? Why would you care about that? Why wouldn't you just be thankful that that's such your own mother? Don't you want her to be happy? You think about what about me? That's the name of your production company. It should be what about Me? Because that's what it should be, because that's all you think about. What about me? I sent your mother to Disney World because that's what she wanted with her friends. And instead of being happy for her, who works hard, who took care of you and what have you, you're thinking about why you didn't get what she has.
Speaker 3: You're right, I'm glad she's in Disney World.
Speaker 1: Why you're waving over there for cameras right here? I really didn't mean it. I really didn't mean He didn't really mean to say, you're wrong about your own ID.
Speaker 3: Because I want to go my call. This's mad stuff we got to talk about.
Speaker 1: Like what what a celebrity road that's on your mind?
Speaker 3: Well, as far as today goes right, the city is looking for me to be courtside the city.
Speaker 4: It's not just me talking.
Speaker 1: In He says, who how do you know this? How do you know what the city is looking for?
Speaker 3: I'm on the internet, you know what it is. You don't even be on your phone. He only texts people. All of these celebrities at courtside. All they do is text each other set up business meetings. You're not even watching the game. I need to be court side. Look at Spike, you know what I give spite credits.
Speaker 1: You don understand you're not tearing into the right camera, right' It's such an amateur. It's such an amateur. That's the camera right in front of you.
Speaker 4: Look Look at fat Joe. Look at Fat Joe.
Speaker 1: Orange on it all.
Speaker 3: It's a fashion show to y'all. All y'all do is meet up Tracy Morgan?
Speaker 1: So what would you call? What would you call how you're dressed?
Speaker 3: I look like a player almost. I look like I need to be subbed in. That's why I throw the tiler. I had shades on just so I can look a little different from the player or people might think I belong.
Speaker 1: What would you do if you were sitting course? I mean, I wasn't even gonna ask this question. Do I get you the hell out of here. What would you do if you were sitting courts?
Speaker 3: I would make Jason Tatum uncomfortable?
Speaker 1: How using my voice.
Speaker 4: I'm not texting.
Speaker 3: I'm not talking to Chris rot about a movie that we might do next week. I'm not doing none of that. Jason Tatum pulled up to New York and Timberlands. He's disrespectful. Nobody said nothing about him.
Speaker 4: Good thing. I'm a part of the media now thanks to you.
Speaker 1: Come on, no, we got bills to pay and I'm tired of looking at him right now?
Speaker 4: See yaa nay back on the more and then attash that they hit.
Speaker 1: Alright, everybody listen up with all the big time sports action that's happening each and every day, The Stephen A. Smith Show wants to make sure you are taking advantage of it all. That's why we've partnered with the Prize Picks, the best place to win cash while watching sports. The app is really easy to use to make a lineup. All you have to do is pick more or less on a few player stats. Choose from any of your favorite players. Luka, Doncic, Jimmy Butler, and Zach Lavine all in the same entry, then sit back and watch. The list is absolutely endless. You can play Prizepects in over forty states, including California and Texas. Best of all, prospects will give you fifty dollars when you play your first five dollars. Lineup wanna lose, You'll get fifty bucks. Just use promo code says and download Prizepects right now again, download the app and use code sas to get fifty dollars instantly after your first five dollars lineup Prize Picks. Run your game. Now, Let's get to some headlines or should I say advice from Charles Barkley in regards to me. Barkley, who's a friend and a brother, appeared on Outkicks, Don't Act Me Podcasts with Dan Dakish. Dan asked Barkley about the myriad of places I've been seen recently talking about sports, politics, and even acting on General Hospital in recently Law in Order. Here's what Barkley had to say, take a look at this police So I don't want to be on TV more. I want to be on TV less. I don't think that's the Stephen A.
Speaker 4: Smith method right now.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's hotelience.
Speaker 6: That's not listen, that's not As a matter of fact, I was in a studio last night and I see he's.
Speaker 1: Gonna be on Law and Order tonight.
Speaker 6: I mean he's already on the God, he's already on General Hospital. Now he's gonna be on Law and Order tonight. And I was just laughing. I'm like, yo, man, you're starting to be too much right now. Like you're gonna be on CNN, You're gonna be on Foxing Friends, Now you on General Hospital, now you're on Law and Order. I'm like, yo, man, knock it off. Stop being on every TV show because at some point people are going to regret. They're gonna be like, they're gonna get sick of you, and you're gonna be like, yeah, I probably did too much. But once you do too much, it's too late and then people don't take you serious. And I think he's gotta be careful in that aspect.
Speaker 1: First order of business as a full warning. Anything I shouldn't say a full warning, just a heads up. Anything that I say that is critical of Charles Barkley is all in fun. One That is my friend, that is my brother. I love him daily. I always have I always will. He is as real and as authentic as it gets. And oh, by the way, weeks ago when he was critical of me as it pertained to my response to Lebron James, when Lebron James and I, you know, had our little spiel, Charles Barkley and I spoke on the phone, and what he said publicly is exactly what he said privately. That's my guy. But that doesn't mean I always agree with him, and it doesn't mean that I'm devoid of the right to call him a flaming hypocrite when it's called upond. Do y'all have any idea how many commercials Charles Barkley does a year. He'll tell us too. Have you seen Charles Barkley in two commercials? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: By the way, the cat that you work with at least twice a week during the NBA season, it's Shaquille O'Neal. Can we count the amount of endorsements he has, how often he's seen everywhere? What new product he's pitching? Did you say that about him? No, you didn't. But when it comes to me, I need to be careful. Oh, by the way, Dan Dowkish see you know, you know slickly brings up you know me with politics and all of this other stuff. Wasn't it Charles Barkley who made news for years talking about his aspiration to run for the governor of Alabama because that's where he's from before starring in Orburn and all of this other stuff. Wasn't that him? I mean, it just amazes me how people could say some of the things that they say. Sometimes it absolutely positively blows me away. Okay, because I'm not the one with commercials everywhere I'm working Fox and Friends. Know that involves early mornings. That's a rare appearance that almost never happens. That's not accurate. ESPN is the worldwide leader. They have a multiple multitude outlets, plus they put me on their dot com sites. Outside of that, you saw them. You see me occasionally on Sean Hannity occasionally. You see me pretty much weekly on Chris Cuomo's show New on News Nation. He's a friend and he asked me to come on, and I come on, Where else have I been seen? Can we really really get to the heart of the matter. And this is a director that Charles Barkley, This is the director that all the folks out there, I'm making people very uncomfortable, and I don't give a shit. You can sit there and talk about people not taking me seriously all you want to, We'll see. Because I'm a serious brother. That doesn't mean I don't know how to laugh and smile and have fun. But I know who the hell I am. We're talking about me on General Hospital? Why now, I've been on General Hospital for seven years. It's a soap opera. That's not a sports show. It's a different audience. I went on Law and Order. That's the first time I've been on prime time television for anything outside of working for ESPN. That's Law and Order. That's not sports. So if you're watching sports, chances are you're not watching those other things. You might not be watching soap, but you might not be watching Law and Order. So one would argue I'm reaching a different audience and I'm expanding and showing that I'm somewhat of a renaissance man, that I have the versatility to do the things that I'm doing. People saw me acting, they say, hey, does a good job, and I'm supposed to scale that back because of my conspicuous presence. Last time I checked. That's what we're in this business for, and the very people laughing and dismissing it. Are you trying to tell me you would turn down those opportunities if it came your way? Why are you in this business? Yes, it's easy for Charles Barkley to sit up there and say two commercials a year, even though that's a lie because he's definitely doing more than two. But when you're making the money that you're making, that you have been making for years, you could afford to turn down those opportunities. Don't bring up my contract now that was just signed last month. You've been making that money for years, So when we look at it from that standpoint, what's that about? And oh, by the way, when you see me at other places, whether it be podcasts or other shows, I don't volunteer to go talk to these people y'all calling ask. Yet you'll call and ask and then say I want to be seen. Where you're the one to call or ask me to be seen? Could it be because I speak with substance that I have something to say that will draw viewers and listeners to your respective shows. Isn't that what we're supposed to be doing? In this business. So Charles Barker, you continue to do the great job that you've been doing for TNT, and next year the start at ESPN. Unlets Shaq market the hell out of himself the way that he does significantly better than almost anybody on this planet, and let me do what I do. I have no desire to rough office. I have no desire to be a politician. I love talking about politics. I love talking about social giving social commentary or social issues, and I love talking about sports. And if that's somehow, some way translates into me being in the mix and people talking to me about a potential political position, so be it. It's not where my interest lies. But I don't rule it out because I believe I could win. And I'll be damned if anybody, especially my friend and my brother, who did nothing for years other than play basketball yet repeatedly announced his desires to one day run for the governor of Alabama, is gonna sit here and tell me is a bit too much? It's too much? When I say it's too much, that's how I roll. Respectfully. Of course, i'mb love for you, my brother, Dan Dawkish. You're asking that question, I wonder why if you're uncomfortable with the situation my brother and you got questions to ask, just call me. I'll come on under one condition. Don't turn around and say, oh, he just wants to be on another show. I actually have things to say. I don't think anybody can deny that. I'll leave it at that until a later date. Anyway, coming up could AOC that is Alexandria oor Cassio Cortez becoming a Democratic front runner for the President of the United States of America in twenty twenty eight. She's not ruling it out. I'll get into that ahead, but first, a jury is seated in the federal sex trafficking and racketeering trial for Showan Diddy Combs. What can we expect this week? I'll get into that with our legal analyst extraordinario, the one and only Ryan Smith. He's up next right here on the stephen A. Smith Show, over the digital airways with YouTube and of course iHeartRadio. Back with more in a minute. Welcome back to stephen A. Smith Show. Opening arguments were set to begin today in the holly endnticipated federal trial for hip hop mogul Sean Diddy Combs, Colmbs has been accused of sex trafficking by force, transportation to engage in prostitution, and racketeering conspiracy as part of a federal indictment originally filed in September of last year. The Feds later added two more superseding indictments. Combs and his legal team have pleaded not guilty to all of the chargers. Joining me now to break this all down as a friend of the program, He's an outstanding attorney who moonlights as a sports center anchor for ESPN. He's also a legal analyst for ABC News all over the Disney family. The one and only Ryan Smith is right here with yours, truly, Ryan, always good to see you, my brother, always good to see you. Let's get right to it. The trial started today with six female prosecutors presenting the case against Colmes. What impact, if any, could that have on a jury.
Speaker 5: Well, that has a big impact, and the goal of that is not only to use some of the top prosecutors in the land to prosecute the case, but it's also to show that this case is not just about Seawan Didy Combs, but it's about what.
Speaker 2: He did to primarily women.
Speaker 5: And when you show that kind of front in the prosecution all women prosecution team prosecuting this case. It focuses the jury for prosecutors on what they want them to be focused on. This was a man who might not have done every single elements of the crime, but racketeering is not about that. This kind of charge of conspiracy is not about that. It's about a man who used his power to force women into sexual situations. And so that is part of what they're trying to show. But I don't want it to be missed in all of this, stephen A, that these are some of the top prosecutors in the land. So I think sometimes in a tendency to say, oh, it's all women, they're doing that to put on a show. No, they're using some of the best prosecutors in the land to make the case by their presence that this is about holding someone accountable.
Speaker 1: Okay, Ryan, you said top prosecutors in the land with me? Because is that to imply these ain't just the top prosecutors in New York. This is not a local thing. They went all over the country and got the six of the best prosecutors in the country who happen to be female. Is that what you're saying no.
Speaker 2: It's more like the top the prosecutors in New York.
Speaker 5: The New York Office is one of the best in the world, and so these are their best.
Speaker 2: These are their top.
Speaker 5: These are people who have handled cases like just Lady Maxwell connected to the Epstein case.
Speaker 2: That's the lead prosecutor in this case, handle that case.
Speaker 5: So these are some of the best women in some of the best office in the world.
Speaker 1: Break down the demographics, the dynamics and the demographics of this jury. How many females, how many males, how many blacks, how many whites? What can you tell us about the actual jury and the alternates that have been assigned to this case.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you've got a full jury, You've got six alternates. They're a bit all over the map, and I think that's what you want in a case like this. Men and women, different hues, different colors, different races, but they also come from different socioeconomic backgrounds. Some come from different higher level jobs. Other there's one juror who's a clerk at a store in New York. So I think that's what prosecutors wanted to paint here, a broad swath of New York society of people who are there to try to judge this case. It can be an advantage for prosecutors. It can also be an advantage for the defense because the defense can look at this and say, we are going to try in many ways to show you that Shawncombs might not be a great guy, might be a dirk, might be angry, might have committed domestic violence. But was he a racketeer? Was he someone who we should hold accountable for? What the prosecution is saying. So this jury is a diverse broad swath of people in New York, But we will see how that plays out on either side.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I'm looking at right now, this is called the fresh CNN update. I wanted to know what you could validate, what you can elaborate upon, if at all, It says the jury was shown additional footage from the hotel hallway. The jury is being shown footage from the north hallway of the sixth floor of the Intercontinental Hotel. This is where p Diddy ran around, ran out in the hallway with just a towel wrapped around himself, naked up top, going after casting in Ventur, trying to prevent her from getting on the elevated He grabbed it, he shoved her down, he kicked her, et cetera, et cetera. He acknowledged you know how hainus the video was in his own social media posting in the aftermath of this being publicized. Could you tell us what happened today inside that courtroom as it pertains to evidence that was shown to the jury and any testimony that was given.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that evidence that that video right there, that is the most powerful piece of evidence the prosecution has, and they put it right up front. First witness in the trial, they called they put that on full display.
Speaker 2: You talk about the extended view of this.
Speaker 5: What they're trying to show is the defense will try to say, hey, this was an argument.
Speaker 2: This was an argument between a couple that went awry.
Speaker 5: Yes there was domestic violence here, but this isn't any evidence of racketeering or conspiracy. So the prosecution year is trying to show an expanded view. What that does is it kind of undercuts any defense argument that says, you're not showing the whole context of what happened, You're not showing what really happened, and there was so much more that went on that tells a story of more of some a couple that got into an argument, rather than something that builds more into a criminal racketeering conspiracy or something that is a broader issue that comes from it. So that's what they're showing there, Steven. The big part of today though, was opening statements. The prosecution gets up first and lays out their case, and their case is essentially this Son Comb's big music mogul committed these crimes, had these freak offs, had coerce women into fource sex, all as a part of a criminal enterprise, and others were involved to facilitate that enterprise. But the defense part of this, they come second. And how they contrasted it, I think is very interesting. They didn't try to say Shawn Commes did none of this. They said, look, he's a bad guy, he's a jerk, he has anger issues, he took drugs, and they even took the step of saying that he had some domestic violence in his past.
Speaker 2: That is important because in.
Speaker 5: A way you put to the jury, hey, if he had these things, doesn't that build into what the prosecution's saying.
Speaker 2: What the defense is going.
Speaker 5: To try to do here is say just because he is a bad person doesn't mean he is a person who did illegal things. We do commit We do not convict people for being bad people. We convict people for doing illegal activities. So was what we're seeing here in this case jury? Is what the defense is trying to say. Was what we're seeing here evidence of a racketeering enterprise, conspiracy things like that? Or was this a person with anger issues that you or I might have septual proclivities that we may not understand or agree with.
Speaker 2: But are these things that should lead to a conviction in this case?
Speaker 5: And I think that's a risky thing to do in some ways, but it's what they have to do because they've got a very imperfect client.
Speaker 1: Let's stick to that word risky that you just do out there. I would imagine youth surmised and deduce that this is risky because the times that we're living in. This is not the nineties, This is not the eighties, This is not even the early two thousands. This is a time where domestic violence has really really come to the forefront of the mind's eye of American citizens and beyond because of the heinous behavior of a lot of people, most of them being men against women. The Me Too movement, the aftermath of all of that and what have you. You're looking at those kind of things, and I find myself saying, why in God's name with the defense team believe that that's a strategy to employ in light of how sensitive we are to those things in these times compared to how we were in years past. Is that why you use the word risky? It is.
Speaker 5: It is because we are in a time where we are believing people who are accusing big titans of industry like Sean Combs. So in the past, a lot of times you could undercut that in so many ways.
Speaker 2: In the defense team.
Speaker 5: You could try to dismiss a victim, you could try to attack people who are accusing people of other things. That is a much tougher thing to do today. That's why it's risky. And in a way, it's risky because you're painting part of the prosecutor's picture. The prosecution is trying to show this was a man who had these freak offs, did all these coerced women into sexual, horrendous sexual engagements, all because he's trying to further this enterprise. And then you're getting up and saying, yeah, you're seeing a video he did do some domestic violence, he did have angers who he did take drugs for example, even the drugs part if he took drugs part of the prosecution cases he drugged women to do some of these things. That helps a jury build into the prosecution's case. But you do this because in some ways you don't have another choice. You do this because you know there's a video out there that jurors are seeing today in that courtroom that shows what he did. You see that there is information they're going to see evidence in that jury of these free cofts and things like that, so you know this is the situation. The way you can paint this is to try to humanize Shawn Combs to this jury and say, look, I know you might not engage in these things.
Speaker 2: I know he might live a different life.
Speaker 5: But just because he lives a different life, would you want someone coming in and saying, hey, you live a different life, so now we're going to prosecute you. I think that's what they're trying to do. But you make the great point, stephen A. In this day and age, doing that is a tough needle to thread because when you do that, you open the door of well, are we not supposed to believe these women.
Speaker 2: Are we not supposed to believe what they say Shawn Coombs did?
Speaker 5: Are we not supposed to believe what we're seeing on video and how Shawn Combs in our minds, Yes, he could have paid off people at the hotel or done certain things to try to cover some of this uff. And isn't that part of the criminal enterprise they're trying to prove? So that's where it becomes risky.
Speaker 1: Define for our audience the word racketeering and the word enterprise because that those words are thrown out obviously as part of this indictment, of course, but I don't think people understand those two words when you say criminal and they understand where criminal, criminal enterprise, racketeering, explain enterprise, explain racketeering for the purposes of these specific charges against Sean Diddy Goombs.
Speaker 5: Okay, that racketeering and criminal enterprise, I think people can look at it as where it started from years and years ago, when the government was trying to go after organizations like the mob. It was so tough because in that kind of situation, the person you're trying to accuse of the crime didn't do every part of the crime. So let's say a mob boss ordered to hit on somebody, They might not have done the actual hit, so how do you connect them to that racketeering?
Speaker 2: And when you talk about criminal.
Speaker 5: Enterprises is where the government tries to set up a scenario where they say and enterprise was set.
Speaker 2: Up to do the crime.
Speaker 5: In order to do the crime, multiple people had to be involved, but there was somebody at the.
Speaker 2: Top who started the whole thing.
Speaker 5: So we're going to try to get all of those people to paint the picture of the enterprise and convict the person who started the thing. So when Shawn Colmes' case, the way it breaks down is to say he set up a criminal enterprise. He wanted to do things like freak offs and this coercion of women and these abusive things that they're accusing him of, So he set up an enterprise. That enterprise had people going to get the women, had people procuring the drugs, had people paying off people when evidence got out, and then prosecutors can take all that information and paint a picture of an enterprise that was all set up to further Sean Colmes's freak coughs.
Speaker 2: Or proclivities sexually.
Speaker 5: So that's how it breaks down it's almost helpful to look at it like the person you're trying to convict didn't touch every element of the crime that you're trying to convict him of.
Speaker 2: So you're trying to show that he set.
Speaker 5: Up an organization all in furtherance of that criminal purpose, and when you do that, you can get him on that racketeering charge.
Speaker 1: So we've heard about him being charged, we haven't heard about anybody else being charged. Is that because they can't find these other people they can't find enough evidence against these other people, or is it because they're utilizing those people to make the case against him.
Speaker 5: I would say it's probably part of the latter, which is using people to make the case against him. I would say in some ways, they're probably speaking all these people who are involved in what they see as the enterprise.
Speaker 2: They got these people in.
Speaker 5: They try to see who could flip in different areas, and that's why in this case, everybody should be watching the witnesses that testify and look at the witnesses if they have any that relate to people who are Incomes's organization. Those are the people that you're talking about, the people that in some way might have been involved with what they're saying, is this criminal enterprise, who are in a sense flipping on Diddy. Now the other side of it is not being able to find people. I always like to say when you talk about prosecutors and government cases, the key for them is patience. They need to have evidence to win a case if they believe there's a good faced case, good faith basis in which a crime has been committed. That takes time, like even in Ditty's case, it took years to try to iron this thing out. So I think sometimes when you think of Ditty's case, you think, well, is there going to be another start coming next month or the month after. I think for them it's about let's prosecute this case and what we learn here, if we can use that for other people, we will do that. But we need to preach patience because, just like in Ditty's case, if we do not have all our ducks in a row, then you are not going to get a conviction. And if you don't get a conviction, it becomes harder to bring other cases like this where you think crimes have been committed.
Speaker 1: Any idea how long you anticipate this struggling.
Speaker 5: I think weeks, it could be anywhere from six to eight weeks, and it could be a little bit shorter. But the key is the prosecutor is going to take all the time they need to lay.
Speaker 2: Out all their evidence.
Speaker 5: I think one thing you can look for is the defense is not going to need nearly as much time as the prosecution because their idea is going to be to try to shoot down a lot of what prose what the prosecution has. But I think this is going to be a week's long trial. You are going to see a lot of evidence come out because what the prosecution has to do is, like what we talked about, taint this entire picture of an enterprise, but here the Kief Stephen, and they've got to do it in a way that makes it simple for the jury. It can't be so complicated that jurors sit back and say, I can't really get what they're trying to do here.
Speaker 2: I mean, what are you trying to say to me?
Speaker 5: What prosecutors are trying to say is here's a broad picture of an enterprise all in further int of a crime. They've got to be able to focus on that every step of the way and not make it too complicated. And for the defense, the key is going to be poke holes. They want to show a man who was maybe mean, maybe angry, maybe had unconventionable sexual proclivities. That would be their way of wanting the jury to look at it, but never force anybody to do anything.
Speaker 2: They're going to poke holes.
Speaker 5: They're going to try to knock down a lot of the witnesses by saying they willingly participated in a lot of the conduct, maybe even in some ways try to facilitate some of the conduct if Combs asked for it. And they're going to try to paint the picture of he may be a bad guy, but he's not a criminal.
Speaker 1: Last couple of questions. We know how eccentric showan P. Diddy comes was, and particularly with his wardrobe, how fly he liked to look, et cetera, et cetera. Yet he shows up the court today he's dressed down, wearing a white dress shirt, a light colored pullover in khaki pants. Is not how the public is used to seeing the music Mogul, what do you make of that?
Speaker 5: That's by designs and it's always by design. I don't want people to think that, oh he's doing that. That's not what we would see with other people. This happens in every single case. The defense is trying to humanize him, and in order to humanize him, they got to make him look like other humans. And other humans don't come in look and fly wearing ten thousand dollars watches or more. You know, other humans are wearing regular clothing, a suit, a tie, just there to be humble. And one of the pictures that the defense is trying to paint with Ditty is to say, and you saw this in Diddy's video, I know I did something wrong. I know I was not always my best, And so what they're trying to do is in his appearance, paint a man who.
Speaker 2: Is humble, who is just there.
Speaker 5: I will sit through this case, but I did not do what prosecutors said, and that's the.
Speaker 2: Image they want to show.
Speaker 5: So I think when people say, well, where's all that flyiness that we used to see him, you would never want to have that in court because that would make him look less human.
Speaker 2: To the jury.
Speaker 5: You want the jury to almost look at him and say, even though we know he's a billionaire, he's a music mogul. When I look at that man in that defense chair, he looks like a man who did the wrong thing, but isn't a criminal.
Speaker 2: That's what the defense wants to show in his appearance.
Speaker 1: The jury opted to choose the jury. The judge rather, I'm sorry, opted to choose the jury today out of concern that if given the weekend to think about it, jurors may have second thoughts about serving could move on a part of the judge.
Speaker 5: Yeah, excellent move on the part of the judge. You want to get this thing underway fast. And I know a lot of people actually said to me today, wowy, just see to the jury and now we're getting going right away. That happens all the time. This is a big commitment for jurors. And I know the jurors' names won't be revealed. That's a big part of this. That's a big part of our justice system. But think of the pressure these men and women face. Think of the fact that they have to say it through six to eight weeks of a trial, pay attention to every detail of perhaps the biggest trial in the world right now. And so for them there might be feelings of I don't want to be a part of this. You know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna go home and I'm not gonna come back. Let him say something about that. Use one of the alternates. No, this judge is looking at this saying, we have a jury, let's get this thing going. And at every stage you will see this judge trying to move this case along. If he has to stop it, he will, but his key is not to elongate it because the longer it goes, the more a chance that you might lose a juror, and that's the last thing you want. Yes, you have the alternates, but the people sitting on that jury right now, they are focused on making a decision, and you don't want to lose one of those decision makers. Bring in an AlterNet or worse, have it happen to multiple people, and then you start opening this case up to questioning. So the faster you go, the better off you are. And this judge is handling that right.
Speaker 1: Last question, we've heard nothing about character witnesses for Sean Dinny Combs A. Have you heard of any the If you haven't heard, what kind of effect could that potentially have on a case of this magnitude in sensitivity.
Speaker 5: I have not heard yet, but I think it could have a huge effect. The question is who are those witnesses and what do they say?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: If they use a character witnesses.
Speaker 5: The defense decides to go that way and use a character witness that's a member of his family. You have a jury looking at that person and you say, many juries might think well, that's self serving. You know him, you want to get him off, You're going to say nice things. Of course, the question would be do you have character witness who in some way could transcend that for curves and make them think, hey, this is somebody who I wouldn't expect to say this about him, or somebody who I believe and support everything they say. And here they are saying that, didd he is not guilty of the things that the prosecutors trying to prove here. So it's always a little bit of a risky proposition with character witnesses, because if it just seems self serving, then the jurors are starting to hear a witness after witness, especially if you have multiple.
Speaker 2: Ones, and they're saying, well, what are you doing here?
Speaker 5: You're just telling me like what I expected you to tell me, which is the great guy shouldn't be convicted.
Speaker 2: And the more you hear that, the less you believe the defense's case.
Speaker 5: So I think in many ways it's gonna be a tough road to hoe for these defense attorneys because you want somebody to bolster Diddy. But at the same time, the more you have somebody who's in his corner, the more you open yourself up to jurors saying, can I really believe these witnesses?
Speaker 1: One of the best in the business, Lee, the analysts extraordinary. Ryan Smith right here with Steven A. Smith and Steven Nis Smith Shaw. Appreciate you, buddy, man, Thank you so much. You know I'm gonna call you back because I want to hear more of what you have to say as you continue to monitor this trial. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Anytime, man, I'll hop my island go.
Speaker 1: Right coming up, the White House, de escalates the trade war with China, and could aoc as An Alexandria Ocasio Cortez be the next Democratic nominee for president. I'll get into all of that tough neck right here, Steve Wismer, show you don't go away. Welcome back to Stephen A. Smithshel Now let's get to Washington. In an early look at the race for the White House in twenty twenty eight. According to The Wall Street Journal, sources close to AOC say she isn't ruling out the possibility of a president you run. The Democrats suffered major losses in the November election, as everybody in their grandmama knows, and the party is frankly struggling to find a strategy to take on President Trump and his policies. AOC, who is thirty five years of age, has emerged as a leading voice for Democrats, but some within the party are concerned she'll turn off centrist voters who are needed in the swing states that Trump swept in November. For the record, they are absolutely right, she will turn off centrist I am not casting any aspersions on this young lady. I think that if you are a Democrat, if you are a leftist who rails against the system, who believes that free market capitalism headed by billionaires is not the way to go, if you believe that not enough attention is being paid attention to the desolate and disenfranchised, if you believe that higher taxes is the way to go, that a focus shouldn't be on securing the borders. If you believe those kind of things, and that's where you stand ideologically, AOC is your candidate, no doubt about that. Here's what I will say to you. I have no questions about her heart and the place that it is in. I think that anyone that she represents knows that she's a fighter. She's a fighter for them poverished. She's a fighter for urban America. She's a fighter for union workers and things of that nature. I get that part. I'm just talking about whether or not it's a winning strategy. Most people in the country are centrist, their moderates, whether they're Republican moderates or Democratic nominates or moderates, or just flat out centrist to our independence. That's most of the American population. They are not Magarite, and they are not progressive left. She clearly is, and not to be literal, not to be taken literally, but she gives the impression that when you talk about universal health care, and you talk about other things, if it equated to taxing Americans seventy percent of their income, she wouldn't be against it. That ain't gonna win you elections. That's not gonna win you elections. If you're living in this day and age and you're talking about fighting for certain rights is in particular as it pertains to transgender individuals, athletes transitioning, and men competing in women's sports and stuff like that, which she's not about to speak against. If you think that's gonna win you an election, you've got your head in the sand. See. The real issue that I'm having right now with the Democratic Party is I'm waiting to hear what your plan is. It can't be we're just against all things Trump. What's your plan? What's your plan for the economy? What's your plan as it pertains to comprehensive immigration reform? What is your plan when it comes to foreign affairs? What is your plan as it pertains the Israeli Palestinian conflict or should I say Israel with Hamas? What is your plan with Russia and Ukraine? Is it just giving Ukraine more money like Bidom was willing to do? What are your plans? We got to pay attention to all of this stuff. Jobs in America, recidivism in our jails, all of these things. What's the plan? What's the plan as it pertains to the vast majority of Americans in this country? What is your plan? I don't have one yet. That's why I keep telling y'all if I ever run for the presidency, Oh trust me, that's not a decision I'm gonna make for years, for at least the next two years, and I sincerely hope that it's not me. You got a lot of people that look at Wes Moore, the governor of Maryland. They look at Joshapiro, the governor of Pennsylvania. That look at Gavin Newsom, the governor of California, that looks at Andrew Cormo, the former governor of New York, New York State, who's now running for mayor of the City of New York. The key operative word and all of that is governor, meaning you ran a state, as opposed to being one of four hundred and thirty five representatives whistling into the wind about what you think is wrong with this country. It'll equipped to do something about it because you're relatively limited, because you're only one voice of many, as at four hundred and thirty five. You got people talking about how she should run for a Senate seat. That's true. Maybe she's just supplant Senator Chuck Schumer, who's been there for ages and people have been critical against because he sided with the Republicans a month ago instead of the Democrats. Either way you slice it, here's the point. Are you really just talking and railing against the establishment. Are you railing against the new establishment that is the MAGA wright led by Trump, or are you strategizing as it pertains to what's going to work. I saw her go on tour with Bernie Sanders. Okay, if that man mentions the word oligark one more time, I'm gonna lose my mind. He's been saying this since nineteen eighty three. Haven't you noticed that folks ain't buying that. Right now, you're having these rallies, flying on jets and doing all of these things, which is basically the same kind of thing you've been complaining about. Where's the consistency, where's the abbosens of hypocrisy? These are the kind of questions people are going to ask. Do you have the answer to that other than railing against the establishment. I've listened to Jasmine Crockett. Both AOC and Jasmin Crockett are welcomed on this show. I respect the hell out of both of them. I'm not here to disrespect anybody. I'm only talking about what strategy is going to work. When I hear Jasmine Crockett talking about how I'm just against all things and everything Trump, is that legislating. Isn't it an obligation that you have to come up with something if the other party is in office. You have to go from thinking that you're going to get what you want if your party was in a White House and instead transitioning to how can I work with the other party to get some of what I want because I know I'm not going to get most of what I want because they won the election. How do we notice that was Obama's approach when he beat Senator John McCain for the presidency in two thousand and eight. That's what he said, I won, we won, It's our turn. I remember Mitch McConnell, the senator, the Republican senator, speak of the ouse. I'm sorry, speak of the Senate. I remember what Mitch McConnell said at that time. My goal is to make Obama one term president. That's not somebody that was willing to work across the aisle. I'll get that. But it compromised the White House because ultimately the kind of power that they had in having a House the Senate and the White House was lost a couple of years later. With what alc is doing, with what Bernie Sanders is doing, and with what Jasmine Crockett is doing, I don't know if that's going to win you back one of the Houses of Congress come twenty twenty six. It is your strategy, That's all I'm asking is a question for Democrats everywhere, because if you don't come up with an answer soon, Trump and his peeps are gonna answer it for you, and they're gonna win the mid terms in twenty twenty six, and then you'll really be of shit's creek. Now, let's get to the White House and the ladies. On the trade wars with China. The White House touted a quote quote China trade deal on Sunday, and the President spoke on it today. The announcement comes after two top US officials alluded to a potential agreement yesterday with China following talks in Switzerland. What we know is that the US and China agreed to drastically roll back tariffs on each other's goods for an initial ninety days. The move de escalates the trade war and sparks increases in the global markets. Which rallied today. By May fourteenth, the US will temporarily lower its overall terroriffs on Chinese goods from one hundred and forty five percent to thirty percent, while China will cut its levees on American imports from one hundred and twenty five percent to ten percent. That's an accomplishment, ladies and gentlemen. You know why, Because the Dow increased by one thousand, forty four points and all of a sudden, all of this noise about how our four one k's have been lost and our iras have been compromised, and all of this stuff going on in the stockwalket that's compromised, American lives and social security is in jeopardy, and all of this other stuff. I got news for you. This ninety day reprieve forced the markets to react in a positive way. If a deal is struck within ninety days, and if it is a deal deemed successful by the Trump administration. Remember what I just said about AOC Jasmine Crockett, Bernie Sanders, et cetera. Toast Democrats will lose the mid terms if Trump finds a way to win this terriff war. And make no mistake, this is where the war was. All of this stuff where he's tagged throwing terrorists at everybody else that was smoke screen. The target was China, third largest economy in the world. Target was China, the third largest trade apartment. I'm sorry, that's what happened. If this is ultimately deemed a success by the Trump administration, the GOP will win the midterms. And you think this perceived power on the right, now, imagine how it will be then. So somewhere along the way, as Democrats plot and they're willing to point to everything about Trump about a tar you know, giving you know, you know, assistant and getting a new plan, new Air Force one, and you know what what Howards Trump and his family business padding their own wilence and all of this other stuff that everybody wants to bring up America has deduced it to such a degree. I'm gonna make it very simple for you. When it comes to the political landscape and the apparatus that runs our country, we assume, in some way or another, all of y'all are getting paid. We don't assume for one second that you're just doing it for the good of the country without doing it for the good of yourself. We believe there's something in it for every elected official. Does it make it corrupt, does it make it illegal. We're just saying that there's something in it for each and every single one of you. So with Trump willing to get his along the way, whether it's directly or via his son's running his family business, or whatever of the method he chooses to use, it's not a surprise. It's not something that throws us aback. What we really really care about in the end is whether or not something is best for America, and there's substantial evidence that proves it, not just slip service, not just pledges, not just guarantees, but actual acts in writing that shows the nation stood to benefit. If that happens, the GOP wins the midterms, and a Democratic Party as we know it will be eviscerated, because it would be the latest nugget of evidence that the American citizen has completely lost faith in the Left, even when they believe in the moral message that is spewed, because we've lost faith in your ability to execute. Just because somebody is in office that you do not like, that you do not agree with, doesn't absolve you from the obligation to do your job, which is working across the aisle when necessary to get at least some things done on behalf of your constituency. That's your job. And to just be going after the president because you don't like him and you want to call him every reprehensible name under the sun to decry his leadership and that of his administration. You might think that's doing your job. It's not. There are plenty of people we work with that we don't like every single day. But when it comes to getting it done, whatever it takes to get as much for your base your constituents is what you're supposed to be doing, as opposed to having built in excuses about your disdain for somebody else as to why you can't get it done. That is not what's supposed to be happening, and the Democrats would be very very smart to recognize that. Again, I've had a slew of Republicans on this show. I've had a whole bunch of Democrats as well. They are all welcome on this show. That includes AOC, that includes Jasmine Crockett, that includes Bernie Sanders, that includes any of them. The goal is to help America be the very best it can be and that all of us get served advantageously in some way, shape or form or fashion. That's the goal. You can't pull that off by just screaming about how the other side is awful and having people in the crowds echoing your sentiments. That doesn't get policy on the table. It doesn't get things done. It only provides rationale as to why they didn't get done, which people have grown tired of a long time ago. That's it for this addition to Stephen Smith Show. I gotta get on out of here because I got a knixt game to cover the night and Madison's square guarden against the Boston Celtics. But I'll be back in a couple of days. Hope y'all enjoyed the show. Thanks again to Ryan Smith, Legal Landla is extraorden there for ABC News as well as the Sports and an anchor for ESPN for coming on the show, blessing us with his presence and his knowledge. Always appreciate him. And I'm in a good mood, so I'll even take a moment to thank my nephew Josh, who is gonna bun rush me and follow me the Madison square guard and so he getting the damned building, all of this stuff I have to deal with, but I'm in a good mood, so I'll tolerated today until next time. Ladies and gentlemen, Stephen, They signing off, see you in a couple of days. Peace of love,