Speaker 1: Bojo Reword.
Speaker 2: Hello, my name is Buddy Peace. I'm a producer and editor at DJ and music maker Shook one, and for intro and outro purposes, I'm temporarily standing in for your regular host and proud creator of this particular podcast, mister Brett Goldstein, as Big Pun once said, dead in the middle of Little Lily Little, did we know that we riddled two middlemen who didn't do diddley and unrelated, I caught a triple bill of little Women, Chicken, Little and in the middle of the River. The last one does exist if you want to check it out on IMDb. I would never dispute you, Big Pun. Every week Bretton writes a guest on he tells them they've died and then talks to them about their life through the medium of film. But this week we are revisiting an earlier episode of the podcast while we take an ever so quick break. Yes, indeed, is that time once more for a films to be buried with rewind classic. This rewind is from some time around June twenty twenty, a period for which some of us might see a sign in our imagination simply saying footage missing. This was the early moments of the pandemic and an interesting time for a huge amount of podcasts as the Zoom platform started to form a very large piece of the puzzle. But so many of us also became so familiar with the intricacies in glitches and overlapping, Uh no, you go ahead, or can you hear me of Zoom because we were communicating with people in day to day life that way too. One thing is for sure, though, At a time when being in the same room as someone for a podcast recording was an unwise move, an episode with the one and only Sharon Stone would have otherwise been impossible. So here we have it. A look back at episode ninety nine with Sharon Stone, who you know from well, let's just say Films, Basic Instinct, Sliver, Casino to name but three. But in this chat we heard so much of what Sharon does went off screen, including some really inspiring charity work and her experiences in that world. Of course, we also get some great eight anecdotes from her career in acting and some really awesome film digs which don't often come up on the podcast, which I can confirm. Now we're almost on episode three hundred, let me take this opportunity to also remind you that Brett has a Patreon page for the podcast, upon which you will get an extra section on every episode with a secret from each guest, more questions, and a video of each episode which looks all nice and fresh. There are a selection of tears on there too, and on the uppermost tiers. I make you a cinematic soundtrack mixtape every month with full track list that I reckon you'll enjoy very much. So if you're of a supporting nature and feel like some extras from this show, you'll find them all there. So that's it for now. Let's get you settled in now with a lovely look back at a really great episode with acting royalty Sharon Stone. She was recording outside and there are some outside sounds here and there, and at the time I did what I could to rescue some of the harder to hear moments. I've given it a new sweep too, just to make sure, but just to note that the sound is very occasionally a little bit funky. All right, catch you at the end for a quick sign off, But for now, please enjoy episode ninety nine via episode two ninety of Films to be Buried.
Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to films to be buried with. It is I Bret Comstein from South London, and I am joined today by an activist, a hero, a producer, a writer, an actor, a legend, a woman of the year, a woman of the century, and one of the greatest film stars of all time. Please welcome to the show, the incredible Sharon Stone.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, maybe you should just introduce me everywhere I go. I'd love to and I go to the next room to see my children, would be great, Am I guessing your look up from the computer.
Speaker 1: You need to be more excited than she's here. I'll keep saying that every day we are recording is at the zoom you were in your garden in Beverly Hills. Thank you so much for doing this. How are you so far with lockdown living?
Speaker 3: You know, I've never gotten to spend this much time with my teenage sons, so I'm really happy. You know, they don't get to really complain about hanging out with me. Is so it's awesome. You know. I give them all the time they want on their computers, and in exchange, we have dinner together every day.
Speaker 1: That's the trade off, is it?
Speaker 3: Kind of? And you know, they have their chores and I have mine, and we do them relatively without complaint, and it's good, you know, it's it's actually fun and we're doing things together that we enjoy and we feel so blessed. I mean, my kids get it that we're lucky that we have our own roof over our head and food to eat, and that we're well and you know, so far everything's okay here. We're really great. You know, we have to talk about it before we eat. We sit down at the table and we either say a prayer or we talk about it, or we have some moments of gratitude. And I think it's really grounding and just being able to be more fully in our core personalities has been well. Frankly, I think it's good for everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so, that's very nice. I wanted to ask you. There are a couple of things I want to ask you. One then, was you do a lot of work in lots of different areas, because now with a lot of us enforced not working, you know, do you like that or does it make you anxious? Are you are you happy to relax and not work or do you need to work?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm working? A lot of what I do, I don't leave home to do it. Sometimes I do. I travel a lot internationally, but a lot of what I do does work like this anyway, you know, because I talked to people internationally, and you know, like it can be as simple as you know. I worked with an organization. Well, when I let's go back further, when I worked with Amphar and I was doing trying to find a cure vaccine for AIDS. We started to realize that one of the things we wanted to do was stop mother to child transmission. We developed through giving grants, we developed this drug called the verapede that stopped mother to child transmission. So in third world countries there was a big problem with that because the mothers couldn't breastfeed and they had sealthy water, and so it was like, are you giving your kid malaria? Are you giving your kid AIDS? So then I started to realize, we've got to really work on clean water. So I went to Africa with a group and I started to become educated about how to drill wells, how to drill and I went to northern Uganda and where you put them? Can you put them in bedrock? Can you put them in dirt? How do you put them in how much does it cost? How do you broker with these like very small area politicians who you know are corrupt in ways that are you know, it's hard to really explain. So you're trying to deal with why things cost so much money that shouldn't cost that much money, and then how to get these towns to invest. And then I work with Mohammed Yunis, who invented the microlan, who I met when I was lucky enough to host the Nobel Peace Price Concert and I got to interview him. So then I helped bring the microlan to America because even though we're a first world country, there's a lot of areas that need the micro loan where we can get very very small loans and start businesses and get homeless people off the street. So all these things start to interconnect. And then ultimately I meet all people from all different kinds of five oh one to three c's, which are what these charities are called. So I'm able to sometimes say, hey, you who are a charity who put in cattle, chickens things like that into areas. Pay you who are putting in water? Hey, you who are giving micro loans. Can I organize you so that we start putting them in the same place. So if somebody you can direct somebody and say, would you like to put your water where someone has already put livestock? Hey, you would you like to give some micro loans in an area so those people don't get raped when they're going from the latrine back to the village, so they can have sell lights. And then this becomes Now we're starting to have a functioning town, and then we start to end poverty in this area. So a lot of the work that I do is just hooking people up with each other. As the work I've done over the last twenty five years, I've met so many people and I know so many different people from all over the world that people know me and they know that I don't have any but thing in the game. I just want things to go better.
Speaker 1: That's so amazing. That's brilliant, that's incredible. I didn't know half of that. That's some serious shit.
Speaker 3: It's actually quite quite terrific.
Speaker 1: So you've seen that toual like success and positive grath and all this stuff.
Speaker 3: From all these things, Yes, and then I also have the opportunity to know wonderful people who work in the UN and people who work at World Health, and they keep me educated as what we're doing this, and here's the statistics there. And maybe they go to Ruhenga and go in these refugee camps and I'm watching them, I'm live there with them on their cameras, and they're saying to me, oh, did you know the average time that someone spends in a refugee camp is twelve years? Well, I didn't know that. So what happens to me is then I start to be able to tell people like you that, and we start to ask governments, well, then why aren't you putting in toilets or showers or schools if you know that's the average amount of time. Where is the compassion of funding? Why are we treating people like this? Why are we letting diseases run rampant? And then why when we come to places like now we're in a pandemic? Were we just doing that? So if that happened, all these people would die? I mean, what is the endgame here? So this is I said that sometimes you just have to go out aside and like just scream at the top of your lungs and if I don't, I don't know how to cope with all of the.
Speaker 1: Who see you seem to be dealing and seeing such a vast amount of stuff at once. I don't know how one person can hold it all in without having to scream or cry or explain amazing, And.
Speaker 3: That, my friend, is why we should not be going out. Now. Don't go out, You'll only become a statistic. And while statistics are in fact extremely important, if we actually would have intelligent behavior, and we would have a team of people who would go door to door all through this country, phone to phone, taking statistics professionally, we wouldn't have to kill people to get statistics. We just need a team. We don't need to really die to get these statistics. Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I much prefer round using phones than everyone having to die.
Speaker 3: We're all we're all bugged anyway they have. Oh, come on, if you have a cell phone, if you have a computer, everybody knows everything that everyone is doing. It's not that large. We can really easily get these statistics done. You don't have to die for them, in my opinion. And yes, the economy is going to go to shit, but every country is just going to have to stand up and forgive every other country's debts, and then it'll be exactly like it is right now, nothing will have changed.
Speaker 1: That's the bit I can't get my around. But I'm not half as intelligent as you is. I just sort of think, isn't the economy it's just all it's made up.
Speaker 3: It's all number machine, it's all made up anyway, So why doesn't every country just say we're going to start from zero, forgive everybody's debts on the entire planet, every human being, each other, every single person is starting over.
Speaker 1: I think that's honestly, that's my I also think in terms of like even creative stuff, like every everyone's making such weird stuff because we're all locked in. I sort of feel like, when this is all over, let's just well wipe the slightly. We won't. Everyone can forget all the mad things that we did to get through this, and like we'll start from zero. Start, the economy will start creatively everything, right, Take it as a fresh start. That's what it was.
Speaker 3: For, right, See where we are, See who we are.
Speaker 1: See who we are. I would like that, can we do that? I'll do that. You're me all right, so tell me this can I ask you this creatively. You said to me, if I may, before we started this, you said you were writing short story? Short story? Are you writing lots of things? A creative stuff?
Speaker 3: I wrote a book. It's coming out in January of twenty one.
Speaker 1: And I got it's.
Speaker 3: About me and I am a bit of another. So we'll see.
Speaker 1: That sounds exciting. Is it your your memoirs?
Speaker 3: Hard to say? Okay, I don't know if that I would call it a memoir. It's exploring a moment in my life and how I got there.
Speaker 1: Fascinating. So it's just about one short period.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had a stroke and a nine day brain hemorrhage. And it starts when I'm on the table with the doctor telling me that I'm having a brain hemorrhage, and then it's me trying to figure out how the fuck did that happen? What did I do to end up there?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What happened in my life that led me there nine days?
Speaker 1: Yeah, parent's done. You have lived a life, Thank God.
Speaker 3: That's what it's about.
Speaker 1: Well, that sounds fascinating. One last question I wanted to ask you before we get to the main stuff that I'm always fascinated with, is that as an actor, you were working very hard and very well and doing lots of your stuff for quite a while before you were suddenly massively famous and a massive film stuff. So there were a few years before that, and in that time, I imagine, and I could be wrong, but I imagine you have ideas of what it is like to be at the level that you then got to. But when it actually happened, when you sort of broke through, was it terrifying and the nightmare? Or was it amazing and wonderful all a bit of back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was, it was a lot. I think that we sometimes have an understanding pieces of our destiny. It's like if a does a caterpillar know it's going to be a butterfly? Does it like the way it feels when it's being broken apart? Does it like that feeling? Does it feel good when it's smashing through? Does it feel like it's dying? And then when it starts to fly does that feel good? Do other butterflies say, hey, you made it? Or do they say, like, you know, get the fuck away from it. What's going to happen next? That was really intense. I don't know what's going to happen now. It's a lot like that, right, And there was something about the nature of me that was was singular. Right. I wasn't the kind of star that everybody was like, Oh, let's all get together and be with her.
Speaker 1: You were alone, butterfly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wasn't like, you know, a flock of sparrows, a gathering of these things. It wasn't like there were a whole lot of us and I was going to be Oh, look, I'm one of them. You know. It was like, what the fuck? And that's an intense reality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can only imagine. I imagine it being quite terrifying. The idea of the thing that I imagine is terrifying. I imagine a lot of it's very exciting and thrilling, but it's not being able to turn it off.
Speaker 3: It's good to have a sense of humor. Yeah, And I was very blessed not to be so young. I was already thirty two, thank god, or I probably would be dead. And I was very lucky to have friends that i'd had already for a long time, and those same friends now great. So that's the thing. That's the thing I really think about with the stars that become stars so very young, you know, and that's like, I really like Taylor Swift. Yeah, and I think a lot because she writes such cool lyrics, and I think a lot about that. I hope she has friends and she has keeps those same friends and they stay her friends for ten, twenty, thirty, forty fifty years, because you know, it's unbelievable to sit in the kitchen and say, remember when when we were at the other house thirty years ago and I couldn't get there, couldn't get any furniture, and those things really make a difference.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. Have a sense of you. We're going to keep your friends. It's good advice. Yeah, Sharon, I've forgotten to tell you something and it's it's really bad that I didn't tell you. It's up top at the beginning of the podcast. I feel like an idiot. I'll just have to say it. It's awkward, but I just have to say it. You've You've died, You've died. I know, how did you die?
Speaker 3: Each time, the time, the next time, the next time. Because I've been hit with lightning. I had spoke you got hit by lightning. I got hit by lightning. What's that light Wow, it really intense. I was it sounds like it. I was at home. We had our own well. I was filling the iron with water and I had one hand on the faucet at one hand on the iron, and the well got hit with lightning and the lightning came up through the water and I got picked up and thrown across the kitchen and I hit the and I was like whoa. And my mother was standing there, and my mother just belted me across the face. What brought me too? Like I was in such an altered state, like just so I don't know how to describe it, so bright, like wow. And she threw me in the car and drove me to the hospital. And the EKG was just showing such electricity in my body. I had to coach ats like every single day for like ten days. Wow, it was so crazy. Yeah, it was like, yeah, okay, I've had a lot of things. It's crazy death.
Speaker 1: What's your ideal death? Basically you can choose.
Speaker 3: Your dream death under a clothesline. I had my neck cut to like sixteenth of an inch from my jugular vein when I was fourteen. Right, you're a miracle, it's right. So it's like, how am I going to die next time? Probably something again super dramatic and nuts, but me all the way, I doubt it, I know, or am I dead now? And just like hey, sense, yeah.
Speaker 1: You were so much electricity when you got stuck by light that you just you're just here on my screen. So what's your what's your big dramatic death? What should we choose? Giant boulder comes from the sky crushes you prove it?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, I hope I'm like picked up by aliens and I have to move through there like energy source.
Speaker 1: And it's too much in your body exploits.
Speaker 3: I don't know, something or transforms into like their kind of life force and then I have to be alive in their thing and see what that's like.
Speaker 1: All right, you can have that. Do you do you worry about death? You've been so through it so many times? Is it something now you're you?
Speaker 3: No? No, I mean sometimes I get like tired of like I have frailties, and sometimes I get bored with the frailties.
Speaker 1: That's fair. Do you do you believe in an afterlife or another life or you've.
Speaker 3: Had so many?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, so.
Speaker 3: I believe in like seeing again maybe I like that so much.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, I've got news for you. You're right. If you like, you're right. There is reinformation, but there's a bit in the middle. There's a pause, and this is where we're meeting. We're meeting in the pause in heaven, and in heaven they're obsessed with films. They're obsessed with films, weird in it. And what they want to know about is your life but through film. And the first thing they ask you is what is the first film that you remember seeing. She's got her homework.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, pressed, Well, actually I don't need that. I mean, I watched films on television, but the first one I saw properly, my mother took me to the drive in and we saw Georgie Girl with Lynn Rendbrey, and I thought, first of all, it was scandalous kind of that she would take me. I was like a little too young to be there. I was probably like eleven, and I just remember thinking about how women were wearing girdles and like really funny underwear, and she was just like trying to fight to have her own real life. And you know, my mother was really interested in that. You know, I just thought she was so cool and really like a wonderful actress, you know what I mean. I just thought she was great. I thought it was great, Like it was different than the kind of movies I'd seen on TV. It had so much more reality and grit.
Speaker 1: Do you remember deciding to be an actress and actor? Did that happen because of Do you remember watching that film? I think, and I want to do that?
Speaker 3: What was part of it? I think that film really influenced my work in Bobby. I would say that that was more my Linen Red Gravy kind of tribute work, you know what I mean. And it was like I saw her like that. I saw that character very like like her, you know, that chick who was like you may think I'm just here, but I have a bigger plan that you don't really get. But if you really saw me, you'd get me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great. Where was this? Where were you going to driving? Where did you grow up?
Speaker 3: In a little town in Pennsylvania near the Great Lakes, near the seaports like Lake Erie, Lake Michigan, all those lakes and uh, a lot of lakes, a lot of Amish people, a lot of monsters, basic seaport, you know, kind of Dingy seaport, railroad, zipper factory, bars, churches, very Italian kind of environment, Polish Irish Italian like, very immigrant sort of.
Speaker 1: Forgive my lack of geography knowledge. How far is it from where you are now? Is it like a very long.
Speaker 3: Way the exact other side of the country. Okay, it's the state below New York. Philadelphia is in Pennsylvania, which is like where the you know, it's this capital of our country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, got it. Tell me this. What is the film that scared you the most? And you like being scared?
Speaker 3: Where's the thing? I get scared more by psychological things than by like boo things, you know. And then I get scared more deeply by things that make me really have to think about stuff. And the one that's made me that really got into me the most was this film called The Life of David Gaale, which was a film that Kevin Spacey and and my favorite Kate were in, and it was a film about capital punishment. And I watched that movie and you know, later went to bed and in the middle of the night, I just sat up, threw my legs over the side of the bed and was just just sat there like like a like out of a stead sleep and I was just sitting there like, Wow, this is so intense and the impact of it was so deep. And these people have become I would say they're probably through my favorite actors. They just the way they embody their work, the depth to which they're willing to explore their work. So yeah, so that was it.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. Do you I was going to ask, and I assume that answers that have you ever have you found making films has lessened you being able to just enjoy watching films? Do you find yourself analyzing them all from it?
Speaker 3: It certainly lessened my ability to like a shitty film, mediocre film, or a film where the boom operator keeps dropping the mic the frame or.
Speaker 1: That's my favorite kind of film, or any.
Speaker 3: Of those kind of films, or the film where they cross the line and it's like the guys over here and then the woman's in the wrong place when you and I'm like, what did you do you think we're not going to notice that they're jumping around. I can't hear I can't even see that. I can't hear what they're saying.
Speaker 4: You can do another take like that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the other thing.
Speaker 1: The other thing I wanted to know when you're acting, if I may, do you work instinctively instinctually or do you do loads and loads of homework and loads of loads of research and your character lines of or do you just let it go? Or both or a third option if you like.
Speaker 3: Each character has its own way that we approach each other.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 3: Some of them possess me like a demon. Some of them we make friends. Some of them we work together and something happens, you know, they were like colleagues. You know. It's like it depends on the character. You know, characters have their own way of we meet differently. You know, it's a it's like a it's a relationship. And some of them, you know, are easier to say goodbye than others too. Yeah, some of them it's like get the fuck off me, like thank you. And some of them you have rituals. Some of them is just like the end of the day, like whatever, you know, and some of them, for me, some of them just don't take as well as others.
Speaker 1: I really love that. Right, What is the film that made you cry? The nice you cry?
Speaker 3: A lot of films I was thinking and thinking and I think it's the Boy in this stripe pajamas.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, that's a film.
Speaker 3: I think that was it. I don't really like sentimentality. I like sentiment, but there's something about seeing this kind of profound understanding through child like I just alternatively, Life of a Dog I thought was just so extraordinary. Yes, I love that film so much. When that kid had that string running up and down his face, I just that was it. I was done before. But the Boy in the stripe pajamas.
Speaker 1: What is the film that Critically it's not acclaimed, most people don't like it, but you love it and you don't care.
Speaker 3: What most people think. But it's triple X.
Speaker 1: That is the perfect answer.
Speaker 3: Triple X. And you know, I'm an adult. I'm in the film. And I totally believed that Triple X had the triple X tattoo on the back of his neck and his name was triple X. And I was at a party with my then husband and I turned to him and said, it's striple X. Oh my god, triple X. Look at triple X. Come on, let's follow him. He'sil around a party going, oh my god, Triplex, look at triple X. She doesn't want the tattoo. He doesn't have it on his neck, and it was like someone told me that the Easter Bunny did not exist. When I saw Vin Diesel without the three xes on his neck, I was astounded that.
Speaker 1: When he found out it wasn't a documentary, that heartbreaking moment.
Speaker 3: I was so sold some childlike part of my character.
Speaker 1: I love that. Did you talk to him or was he scared?
Speaker 3: Awards of my sanity were gone?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, did he have to call security? Sharon Stone is follow me everywhere shouting, I'm not triple.
Speaker 3: She's bounce on.
Speaker 1: Indeed, she's looking at my neck.
Speaker 3: Was like, what is wrong with you? You it's trouble X. He's like Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 1: I really was not expecting that answer, and I'm delighted, absolutely delighted sharing What is the film that you used to love? You loved it dearly, but you've watched it recently and you're going, oh, no, I don't like this anymore. For whatever reason.
Speaker 3: That might be breakfast at Tiffany's.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, talk to.
Speaker 3: Me, Mickey Rooney as this guy. Yes, please, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: It is a shocker when you watch that back.
Speaker 4: Oh out, Oh it's a real like, Oh boy.
Speaker 3: You can't under say that you're not unsea with the team the Crossing. Oh oh oh, I have to go into the Shredder. That can't even be in the like we you know, we clean that movie up and put it in the vault for them. That is lovely.
Speaker 1: You can't be in Memoria. No, that's got to go in there. This never happened. We don't talk about it. That is so true. It's so shocking, and it's such a everyone remembers. It's such a lovely film. And then you see it and you go, fuck, you know, make you stop where Sharon? What is the film that means the most to you? Not necessarily the film itself is any good, but because the experience you had around seeing it that will always make it special.
Speaker 3: I started being allowed to go being dropped off at movies when I was about fifteen, and I think it was I went to see Cleopatrick Jones. Oh wow, And I was the only white girl in the theater in a little town where you know, we were quite segregated, right, And she came on the screen, come on, and she was so fabulous, right, And I was in the theater like Okay, this is the way to see a movie. And I was like okay. And they shot her like like the way shot Varushka, like from the ground up.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: She was like like this giant goddess. And it was like, wait a second. My entire framework is being shifted, my reality of life and film and people, and okay, this is fantastic, Like this is very important thing for me in my life. And my father was very much he was a Democrat in a town where the paper was the Tribune Republican. You know, he was a very much a humanist and you know, but still it's a segregated town, there was is this not a diverse This is a farm fire. This is like one stoplight town, Amish people, gangsters. You know, it's not fascinating. So all of a sudden, I'm like, oh, multi racial reality, it's big for me.
Speaker 1: What is the film that you must relate to? What film do you relate to the most?
Speaker 3: You know, just recently it's a television film. Yeah, and it's a series and it's called Normal People.
Speaker 1: We have been watching that myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I really related to that, to.
Speaker 1: Both characters, all the characters.
Speaker 3: Related to the girl. Yeah, I mean, obviously it's a more you know, it's a more theatrical character. But I related to the girl in that.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you in what way, like when you you feel like in the way that she's different, Like, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I was a girl that was writing other people's term papers and but still sort of isolated and thought I was really unattractive and separate, and then kind of reinvented myself and became this other thing. And then the other thing wasn't really me either, and then I had to sort of figure out how to be the original me and make it work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really good. Thank you. What is the sexiest film you've ever seen?
Speaker 3: Because I am such a huge Humphrey Bogart him put to me is between Casablanca and African Queen, because there's just something about that kind of like I like this survivalist relationships that are like we're doing it together. We're in this and we're in it together, and we're figuring out what we're going to do and we're doing it together. There's something to me that's very sexy about that. I like that partnering through this thing. I always like that thing that I think it was Oscar Wilde that said that real love is not just looking deeply into each other's eyes, but looking outward at the same thing. Yeah, it's like I I think that that is it. It's not just that ability to look so lovingly at each other, but to stand side by side and look at something with the same kind of intention. To me, is really sexy.
Speaker 1: That's great, now, Sharon, this next question. You're very classy individual. But if I don't ask you this, everyone who listens to this podcast will be mad at me for leaving this question out. The next question is a subcategory to the sexiest film, which is called and Forgive Me. It's called Traveling Bonus Worrying Why Dunes. And the question is the question is what film did you find sexy that you thought perhaps.
Speaker 3: You shouldn't The Heat of the Night?
Speaker 1: Okay, why is that? May I ask?
Speaker 3: Well, it's when Rod Steiger has this confrontation with Sidney Poitier and he says to him he's called Virgil. I don't know if you remember the film.
Speaker 1: He says, they tips.
Speaker 3: Right, but but Rodsteiger screams at him, what do they call you? Up there? And then he said stands up to him and he says, they call me mister TIBs, and he did that in that film. I thought, you are the sexiest motherfucker I have ever laid eyes on in my entire life. I'm dying right now. I can't take it. And I oh, and I said, is this supposed to be sexy? I don't know what's happening, but like, I can't take it. And then in my lifetime I got to be friends and have Sidney Poitier be my mentor. Wow, I got to work with Rod Steiger in a movie and he was a villain and I got to be just hate him in the movie and it was so fit. Asked, I was like, Yes, this is all working out perfectly.
Speaker 1: For mister Tips. That's great. Sarry. Can I just say thank you for letting me ask that question and thank you for answering it properly. I appreciate that what is objectively, objectively the greatest film of all time? Not necessarily a favorite, but objectively for.
Speaker 3: Me, and it is kind of my favorite, but objectively to me, I think The Last Emperor and I just I feel that Bart Lucy is a spectacular filmmaker and it's a great film because it's so well made. And it's a great film because it's an historical film. And it's a great film because it's a film that stands the test of time. It's a great film because children can watch it, adults can watch it. It's a beautiful film. I really I heard that film as a filmmaker. I love that film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, No one has picked that on this show. And it's brilliant. Such a good film. Film. Tell me this, what film have you or could you watch the most over and over again?
Speaker 3: I do watch over and over again. Cabaret. It's a great film on so many levels. It's a great film because of the way it tells such a horrific story. Is a great film because the costumes are insane, the performances are insane, and the stories within the big story are very important. The stories of racism, the stories of homophobia, the stories of class realities, the stories of the period and the time, this just the stories of greed. Everything within the story is fantastic. All the elements are so beautiful. The costumes are magnificent, the makeup is incredible, and the sense of the surialistic sense of the way he cut and shot it almost creates a magical realism on the screen. I find it to be a spectacularly made film and a film that whether you're German or American, you look at and think, yes, it was incredibly nuts, that it was nuts, that war was nuts. And the music is beautiful. The score is spectacular. The words, the lyrics to the music are beautiful. The dancing is Bob Fosse's kind of dancing is just speaks of volumes to the story he was telling. I just think it's overall just so well done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fucking great film. I think about a lot that's at the moment, where is it the song the Future belongs to Me? And you only see this swastika right at the end. It's so brilliant. It's a brilliant. It's really profound that film. I know this sexual fluidity. Yeah, yeah, it's it's got it.
Speaker 3: The movie is very mallifluous. But when he s does the Future belongs to Me? They're very crisp, very clean. There's so much they're the clean people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're very clean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, be scared, right.
Speaker 1: We don't like to be too negative, but we'll do this quickly. What's the worst film you ever see? How dare you. I love that film is a masterpiece. Anaconda is the Triplex of snake films. Anaconda is great and it's got John Voyd doing faces j LO. It's great. Well, could you possibly not like about? Okay? Fair enough? Right, you're a funny person. What is the funniest film you've ever seen? Correct? It's just brilliant.
Speaker 3: Nothing is funnier than when they're crapping in the street.
Speaker 1: And it's so beautifully shot as well.
Speaker 3: Or when Melissa McCarthy puts her leg up in the airplane. I just that when she put her leg up, I just I don't know what it is about that, but that's the funniest move. She's so funny when she just starts telling someone that how awful they are, that's my funniest for I just.
Speaker 1: Oh, she's really really special.
Speaker 3: Of her.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you? Can ask you a question you might not have an answer and that and it's not on your list. Do you have a favorite of your own films? Of the films that you've been in? Do you have a favorite?
Speaker 3: I have things that I like about different ones for different reasons, you know. I mean, obviously, Casino I think is the certainly overall the best film I've I've been in, and it's it's just the best, and it stands the test of time. And you can watch it with without sound, as you can with any Scorsese film, because Thelma Schumancher is the greatest editor of and the film she edited, you know, for Deceased Husband or also Michael Powell fabulous, So the editing is really something, and you can watch it to music, you know. I think if you watch listen, particularly if you put on Maria Callous and listen to any of his films, I think you see there's quite good to Callous. There's a certain deep authenticity of this operatic form that those films are very good too. So I think that. But of course I really enjoyed The Muse because I think Albert Brooks is so special, really so smart and so special. I just love him. I did very much like making Lovelace. I thought that this was these writers. They had done the Harvey Milk story, and I think they really understood how to make an independent film. And I thought that this was a sound independent film that told a very interesting story. I thought it was quite a good story and a powerful story. I thought the actors were good in it. And when I worked with Jim Jerremotion Broken Flowers again, same thing. I thought that good. See such a terrific independent director. He knows how to make a good independent film, not seeking the big audience, telling us particular type of story. I think he's very good. I thought that was in its genre, quite quite a good film.
Speaker 1: I love you in the in the Bob Dylan film, but I guess you probably can't talk about that. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's a mockumentary and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're so good at it.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, all of us are in the film, do know, Bob, Okay, that's why we were chosen to be in the film. Okay, great, we all have very discrete relationships that we would never never exploit. Yeah, so we got to do this film in the same way.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's such an amazing performance. Completely you're just like, well, yeah, that's real, that's completely real.
Speaker 3: I mean I can make it for me because I love him and I think he's the greatest songwriter. I think he's the greatest poet since you know, Socrates, Plato, and I genuinely believe that it's it's real to me, and I find him to genuinely be that descent of a human being, and so that's my truth.
Speaker 1: I love it. Sstin what's your favorite film? And it might be different from what you think is the greatest film.
Speaker 3: My favorite film is The jungle Book, the original jungle Book, the animated jungle Book. Those musicians the Jungle Book were the truly great musicians of that time. And George Saunders as the cat who when he committed suicide, his note was on nui that he had on. Now I've already thought that he was the cat's pajamas. These weird movies like The Portrait of Durian Gray by that amazing director that did those two movies, the Portrait of Dorian Gray and Pandora's Box, which are two fantastic movie because I don't know if you've seen Pandora's Box. That's Abe Gardner and James with this fantastic voice, the English James. Yes, and she only made and it was a woman director and she only made two fantastic films. And the Portrait of Dorian Gray is George Saunders again, who I just thought, why was it I alive to hang out with Foots because I know that we would have been best friends, and he would have killed himself out of boredom because we would have laughed so much. I know it.
Speaker 1: But you were, you were alive to be in the era of Triple.
Speaker 3: X killed himself on me. Jesus that even funny, like his suicide note was a joke. I can't take it.
Speaker 1: That's really good. So listen, Sharon, you have been beyond brilliant. However, yes, when you died the next time by being picked up by some aliens and taken to a new energy force that you were adapted to, your soul adapted to. But your body was left behind where you were standing, which was just on the street, and I was walking past, and I was like, what's happened here? And I was like, she's been struck by lighting again? What is going on? And I touched you and it was like, she's still got electricity in what we're going to do anyway? I got this coffin. I'll put you in the coffin. But the thing is, because of all the electricity and stuff, there was like lots of you attracted layers of metal, so there's a lot yeah, so there was a lot more of you than that plan. Exactly, I'll put camera, You're taken one DVDA to her. You're going to take cabret Yeah, okay, they're going to have a writ out time up there with you.
Speaker 3: Because we have it, we can watch the movie. Yeah, we can have a good time, arguments.
Speaker 1: You can all of it. Now, listen. That is the that brings us to the end. Is there anything that you would like to tell people to look out for that you're going to be in or to listen to, or anything you want people to know about.
Speaker 3: Well, if you like Ryan Murphy, I'm going to be in the Ryan Murphy series starring Sarah Paulson, Judy Davis, Cynthia Nixon. Me in September on Netflix. Ratchet Ratchet and it's the pre story of nurs.
Speaker 1: Ratchet.
Speaker 3: No, Sarah's Ratchet, you even more villainous.
Speaker 1: That's exciting. Sara's Stone, you have been an absolute delay and I really appreciate it. Thank you very much and enjoy your next live.
Speaker 2: So that was Sharon Stone on a rewind Classic episode. Be sure to check out the Patreon page at patreon dot com. Slash Brett Goldstein where you get an extra chat video and mixtapes at Various Tears and otherwise. If you fancy leaving a note on Apple podcasts, that would be lovely too, but make it a review of your favorite film. Much more fun and it can be like the review section on movie where people use huge words like ostentatiously directed and ardently relished and so on.
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to Sharon for her time and presence on the podcast. Thanks to Scrubia's Pip and the Distraction Pieces Network. Thanks to and this is where Brett thanks me for editing and producing the podcast, so I say it's a pleasure. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network for hosting it. Thanks to Adam Richardson for the graphics and Lisalidm for the photography. We'll be back next week with another rewind classic. But that is it for now. Brett and I hope you're all well, and in the meantime, have a lovely week and now, more than ever, be excellent to each other.