Speaker 1: Really now, really.
Speaker 2: Really now, really hello, and welcome to really know Really Jason Alexander and Peter Tilden, who remind you that subscribing to our show means you are never ever truly alone. But speaking of being truly alone, NASA plans to send humans on a scientific round trip to Mars, potentially as early as twenty thirty five. Beyond the technical challenges, the big question is whether human beings would be capable of dealing with the long period of isolation and loneliness necessary to make the journey. Anxiety, depression, cognitive decline, emotional dysregulation, weakened immune system, and even hallucinations and delusions are just some of the effects of isolation, none of which are exactly ideal when sending people to a distant planet with sketchy odds of a successful return, and that's why scientists have begun researching isolation in some of the most remote places. Honor Doctor Beth Gely is not only one of those scientists, she's also a research guinea pig. She studies the effects of extreme isolation in Antarctica at the Space Flight Research Center Concordia, otherwise known as White Mars. We spoke with doctor Heely about which human traits are best suited for handling isolation, how she has personally dealt with it, and how befriending of volleyball like Tom Hanks did in the movie Castaway, is an actual phenomenon. Really, no, really, And now here are two guys whose friendship I value almost as much as my volleyball, Jason and Peter.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question.
Speaker 3: Now, this is we're gonna we're gonna talk about isolation today. And here's so, this is the one that I asked you about. I had read a thing about you know, they're talking about isolation on the long space flight to Mars? Can we survive it? And then you know, and then not only is it the flight, but then you're on an uninhabited Atlanta in another world. I still, to this day, I have trouble spending long periods of time alone. I'm not good alone. I thrive on social interactions. Yeah, and it doesn't. And honestly, I was finding COVID. I turned to my wife after three months of basically just being with her, and I go, this is good. I'm happy. I'm very happy with you. You're a great company. But alone would be challenging for me. Are you good alone?
Speaker 1: I'm really good alone? Are you really I am really good alone? I don't have any trouble occupying myself. You know what like the fun of this show for me, Believe or Not is researching and going down rabbit holes to find it, because every question when you research something leads to another question. I did that and talk greater fears. I love I talk? Were you in talk right now? I love? How long were you in talk right now? It's about thirty years?
Speaker 3: When people say you're kind, but I just well you you got to me about how I say, can I ask you a question?
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, how many times do I have to hear it when it right? So they can I ask your question? How long will you talk right? I'm sorry to interrupt.
Speaker 3: I want to answer until I interrupted you in talk right now?
Speaker 1: You go down here and you go isolation, and then you find out what kind of personality does well in isolation, whether personality rates because our guests has gone to numerous places that are isolated. She's a research scientist to specialize in this. I get it, But what's your brain that you go? This is what I want to do and I constantly want to go to these places which are challenging. Isolated, it's dark for three months, there's no no day, it's it's all right. And the challenge is that I don't want challenges. I don't even want to go camp. We used to camp when we were kids. If I can't plug in a hair dryer and a mini fridge and order something for take, you know, I'm not going.
Speaker 3: It's the longest. What's the longest you ever been all alone?
Speaker 1: Really alone? Intensive care? But people are around. God, I don't know. I don't know how long I've been around when people in vacation. I'm home alone, but there's people outside, there's somebody delivering mail. You're never really I've never been in isolation. Yeah, I would say.
Speaker 3: You know, the longest is when my parents went away the first time, left me alone in the house for a week and I was sixteen, I think fifteen or sixteen, and I did something stupid, you know what I did.
Speaker 1: There's no way to start isolation. Friday.
Speaker 3: They left on Friday morning, so I go to school, I come back in the world is mine. It's my house, my house. Friday night, I stay up really late and I watched the original. I'd never seen the original Night of the Living Dead. Oh a choice, and I'm I'm petrified. Bad choice. And I go up to the bedroom and as I'm getting ready for bed, there's something in the basement. There's noises coming out of the basement. And don't I don't know what the hell it is. I don't know what it is? And what do you do?
Speaker 1: What are you doing? Those things?
Speaker 3: Every time we see people in horror films going going to the thing, go you idiot, you idiot? Here I am, so I grab a kitchen knife and I grab something else and I'm now standing outside the basement door, listening, and there is something in my basement. There is someone down there. And I don't know where this came from. The adrenaline and I throw open the door and I flick on the light night and I yell out.
Speaker 1: Something like I'll kill you.
Speaker 3: I've been trying to think that I would scare the psychomaniac that's down there. A squirrel ran across the floor. I had a heart attack and died. This is not me anymore. I died at age sixteen. Squirrel outside the basement door. And by the way, I was paralyzed for the weekend. I couldn't go to the to the bottom floor of the house, didn't know what to do. Stay stay upstairs. And somehow this rabbit squirrel was going to chew through the basement door, find me and attack me for calling him names. So all right, so today we're talking about isolation. Let's introduce our guest, Beth Heally, doctor Bethiell, doctor Beth Heale, excuse me, an emergency medicine doctor who's worked for several years in the NHS and a variety of international settings. She is worked all over the world in a number of extreme and remote environments.
Speaker 1: Valdbard, I didn't even know that was. I looked that up to see if it was a joke, and they just screwed that in.
Speaker 3: A place Svalbard, Siberia, Greenland, Antarctica of the North Pole. She's a research MD for the European Space Agency. She has wintered in Antarctica at the Spaceflight Analog Concordia, otherwise known as White Mars.
Speaker 1: YEA, they recreate Mars. That's the closest thing. That's what they send people to see if they can hack it. Yeah, or Mar.
Speaker 3: She has researched the effects of isolation and extreme environment on the psychology and physiology of her cruise. And she's so she's been there, She's been in the true does it?
Speaker 1: She puts herself through this voluntary.
Speaker 3: And so hopefully she'll join us because I know she likes to be alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're larning her out with the pieces. They got someone on a screen now trying to get So let's say hello to doctor Beth Heally. So the big question first say hello to a person. Oh, doctor Healely, how are you great to see you? So Jason talked about her. I have to teach him man, he's not a on people a lot, doctor Hilling. I like isolation, but I wondered, if we are built a man has evolved over the thousand years to be who we are and live the way we are and adapt to our surroundings. We're asking man not to make a giant leap because we're going to send you to another environment. And I understand it would be like a three year trip back and forth. Whatever are we capable from what you know in studying isolation and living in isolation to do that? Is that realistic? Or do you sit back going Oh are these.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's it's a really interesting question because, of course, as you say, we are developing the technology required to take us on these longer duration missions. But I really do think the biggest challenge is going to be the human side. That's really what we were studying in Antarctica Concordia Station where I was working, so I was working for European Space Agency, and what we were doing there is really researching the effects of isolation as an analog for these long durations faceplight missions that it is really going to be a huge challenge to get us there safely, with good mental health and as a web forming team.
Speaker 1: You get that smirk as you're saying that, by the way, it means challenging. Did you see the wink on challenging because she's well, you've I should say, and I know you want to. You've done this repeatedly at different places where you put yourself in isolation and also where the environment's dark all day, where it's months and months of no daylight.
Speaker 3: But just so just so people listening have context, how when you go to Concordia, which is in Antarctica, is.
Speaker 1: That correct exactly?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's on the Jame Charlie Plateau. It's closest neighbors like Busto Conciple.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, And when when you're there and you're embedded with these research teams, how long a period of time are you are you all basically in that kind of isolation when you're doing a research study.
Speaker 4: So I went to Antarctica and Concordia for fourteen months when I was there, and then the isolation period of that is like a nine month period where you're over wentering and so that's where you've got. So we were a crew of thirteen people for those nine months, and we were considered completely inaccessible for that period even in case of emergency. And we also, as you mentioned, had like long periods of long polar night, so we went for one hundred and five days without any sunlight at all.
Speaker 1: Wow. So does that.
Speaker 3: I just want to equate that to the intended Mars mission. Are they talking about sending that many people in one mission? Or is that considered a large group for a space mission?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's sort of larger groups than what's anticipated for a Mars mission, although obviously if then you start to get colonies, for example, on the lunar plant, lunar surface or the Martian missions, that it could end up being a bit longer, like realistically for the spaceship to get two Mars, that's a higher number than what we expect. The thing is, they're not just relying on one analog program alone. So Concord is specifically looking at long duration spaceflight, but it's also looking at it in the context of a real mission in so much just to say that the crew in Antarctica are completely isolated and really extreme conditions, then so it's considered safer to have that number of people on that specific environment platform. So that's why we have thirteen, not because it necessarily reflects what we would be doing for longeration missions, but we also do other analog platforms which more accurately look at the sort of size of the crew. So for example, Males five hundred would be a good example of that. Whether they had a six person crew on a simulated Martian mission, but that was done in a much more controlled environment, so it's done in like a Russian car park essentially, so they sort of built the space ship, had a crew of six people, did a fully like simulated mass mission, and they had a lot more control over simulating, for example, and accidents happening there, being like emergencies for the crew which they had to deal with, and having that kind of like high fidelity simulation.
Speaker 5: But what it missed is what Concordia can actually offer, which is.
Speaker 4: That real life danger of being in an isolated and remote environment. And so I think actually, personally, I would have found it much harder to have gone on the Mass five hundred mission, which is the car Park one, because I think for me, like a lot of the stress that I had was actually during the summer time in Antarctica, where I still had the choice to leave, and it's actually really stressful kind of period because at that point you still have that choice, and so I spent a lot of that time thinking, you know, is it a good decision to stay here, What's going to happen? Like should I go on the next plane home and actually just quit? Whereas actually it was kind of almost like a relief when the last plane left and you suddenly were like, Okay, I'm doing this, and your mind actually like psychologically switches to different mode because you know that you can't even so actually the worries and sort of anxieties, you have a different and so I think if I've been in that other simulated mission, that the psychological challenges are actually quite different. So I think it's really important to have all these different types of animals looking at lots of different aspects get you much like for a bigger picture.
Speaker 3: So we're going to dig into this, but I just want to jump to the big picture question in your professional opinion, are.
Speaker 1: They going to be able to pull this off? Or is this is.
Speaker 3: This a hope to Christ kind of thing I can do? You think, based on what you've seen in experience, that there are enough people who could actually endure this kind of isolation and this kind of stress successfully and accomplish the intended Mars mission.
Speaker 4: So I think we'll do it, but I'm not sure if you're ready yet. I think that's kind of how I feel. I think like a lot of these programs are doing really valuable research and like looking at the challenges that we're going to face and trying to put in character measures to try and help prevent those challenges that we've researched that the team are likely to experience. But I think that there still needs a lot of research in this area to help optimize the team most effectively, like in terms of team selection, preparing the team, making sure that you have the right composition of team and that you're preparing them well in terms of the appropriate counter measures in place, and also monitoring of the team performance during that mission to make sure that it's successful. I think, I think it's wrong to think that we can just you know, just pop a crew on a Mars mission, like all of this training. But I think that there is a lot of this research taking place, like the Concordia platform, like last five hundred, like lots of other research projects that are going on, and I think that these are really valuable, and I think that we really have to like continue to do that to make sure that we're ready when the technology arrives, to make sure that we can safety send a team.
Speaker 1: So doctor Hilly, what I got to know, A who are you that you love going to these places? What personality you And as part of that, you've got to pick the right personality traits for these people who are going. I mean, you're going to make sure that they can live in that environment. And are the tests you get people to say this guy is going to go he's gonna hit crazy about day thirteen because looking at us, I'm guessing day three Are you and I going together? Because it's day one? Who goes in first, who goes in second? Were the engines are firing? Wait a minute, Peter's here. Peter's so yeah, if you can wrap that all into one, your personality, the personality traits of the people going, and how they test that. So you know, louis going crazy J nine here, I'm not going with him. How do you figure that out?
Speaker 5: But that's it, I mean, and it's not only just is that person okay? But are they in the right team?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: As well?
Speaker 4: You know, it's like so you could have six of the right people, but just not the right composition and like having clashing perfities. And you know, like when we went on to Concordia, like in fact that our whole crew didn't even make it to Concordia because you we were like de selected at the training stages.
Speaker 5: So we did lots of training before we went down there.
Speaker 4: We had like TESTA and people were sort of de selected before you even made it. And I think that was really important for our crew. And it's going to have to obviously be even more strict to go on these longer duration missions. Yeah, so I mean it's interesting as well about like who is the good person? You know, So in some ways you want sociable people because they're going to be able to get on with each other, because you know, you talk about isolation, and while you are isolated, you're also super in close proximity with your crew as well. So it's kind of this weird thing where you need to be sociable but not too sociable that you're going to be able to get on well with the team, but then you're also not going to miss too much having that social interaction back at home.
Speaker 5: And so there's lots of different factors.
Speaker 4: And then it's also about understanding your crew as well, and so we did lots of training at the European National Center before we went, which is sort of human behavior performance training, and a lot of that was focused on really understanding and how your crew react in different situations and how you react in different situations. And from having that better understanding and knowledge of how people reacting these stressful situations, you're able to kind of predict how people are feeling before they might even realize it themselves. So just to give you an idea, you know, when I'm super stressed, I go really quiet. That's how I react. And so if people notice in the crew that have gone really quiet, they might pick up on the fact that I'm not feeling good or like that, that something's up with me before I might even notice myself. And whereas other people, you know, get much more light and much stress in when they're upset as well. I mean, that's a very basic thing. And then also obviously on top of that, you've got sort of cultural understanding as well, because it's probably quite likely that a mission is going to be a multicultural mission, and then also on top of that sort of genders how that composition is going to be and nationality and the cultural differences that come with that as well, or going into malting pot, and so it's hard to predict at this stage what and who that mission is going to be. I mean, is it going to be a commercial mission, is it going to be a governmental mission? Is going to be a mix of everything that we and which nationality we don't really know at this point, but it's exciting.
Speaker 5: To think that.
Speaker 3: So what I want to follow up on when Peter asked you, though, what is it as far as you can assess, what is it about your emotional or character makeup that has made this doable for you? I mean, I understand that you're interested in the study, but you have to be in it in order to do it. So how did you know that you would be able to.
Speaker 1: Function like this?
Speaker 4: It's a funny question that I get a lot, and it's not that I had ever really honestly plan to go and do it. I guess for me, like, so, my background is I love skating, and so that had taken to me to like lots of sort of extreme remote places like for example, I've worked a lot in Greenland already, I've been up to the North Pole, I've done lots of of extreme environments stuff.
Speaker 5: And that really stems from a real interest in.
Speaker 4: How our bodies perform in these kind of extreme environments and also like high performing teams, sports teams, that kind of thing, and that's really what got me interested in the project. And yeah, I guess when I first first waked to Easter about the project for European Space Agency, they were like, oh, yeah, it's going to be like you know, like nine months maybe ten months and then suddenly you're there for fourteen months. And I guess, like for me, like personally, like I really like sort of new experiences. I've been really interested in antartica and kind of my whole life really and but the real thing that sort of pinched it for me is that I feel like, really passionate about exploration, and I really think that sort of spaceflight is the next frontier of exploration, and I think that as researchers we can well, you know, while I'm I'm very unlikely to be on the Mars mission myself, I think that, you know, when we do step foot on Mars, I feel that by having anticipated in the research and helping to sort of further our knowledge on this subject, it really feels that you can sort of be part of that. And for me, that's really exciting and I want. That's what really sort of matanated me to go down into it.
Speaker 3: So I'll ask this of you, but I guess you can extrapolate it into people who participate in this. So you said, oh, I thought it'd begon eight nine months, and it turn I'd be fourteen months.
Speaker 1: What happens to all your.
Speaker 3: Relationships, your friendships your parents, your siblings, your significant others or whatever.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you're in isolation, are.
Speaker 3: You allowed to be in contact with them at all?
Speaker 4: Or you?
Speaker 1: It's just all on hold.
Speaker 5: It's a funny thing actually, because.
Speaker 3: Your friendships, your parents, your siblings, your significant others, or whatever. I mean, if you're in isolation, are you allowed to be in contact with them at all?
Speaker 1: Or you?
Speaker 6: It's just all it's a funny thing actually because so we did have contact, So we had like really slow internet.
Speaker 5: So it's a bit like darl up.
Speaker 4: You could go and like put like a Weber dress into the Internet and then like come back in like five minutes of pup of tea and it would have uploaded. So you couldn't just like rise unless you have you know, patients of the same. It's just like really slow. Having said that, like if you pick like the right kind of time of day. So we had a really limited internet connection and a lot of that was used sort of the bandwidth was used for uploading data, but if you've sort of put it in the middle of the night, you could get a really good like zoom call, for example, with friends and family back home. It was kind of weird because actually, I think if you were too much in touch with your friends back home personally, it made me feel really homesick. And also you could get like anxious about different things going on, like world events and stuff, because you're not able to actually, you know, if something does go wrong, if you have a friend or many members that's sick, like you're not able to go back and see them, and so like it was always a bit of a balance, you know, like some days it was really good to kind of take a step back, like speak to your friends, like it kind of put a good perspective of life in the station. You know, like at one point, everyone's getting it really upset because we've run out of taking napkins.
Speaker 5: And like at the time, it seemed like the biggest problem in the world.
Speaker 4: And then you like call home and everyone's just like what baf what are you on about it? Like it's really not an issue, And then it was actually really helpful. But at other points, you know, you'd be like sat on like Saturday night, like we were friends going out in like London, and you're just like, oh, what am I doing here? Like start in the middle of nowhere and made you a bit jealous, So I think I think it's important to like have a bit of a limit. And it's an interesting question for like long deration space fight, especially because you know, if you have just unlimited access of communication to friends and family back home, then we're not able to like monitor what's coming in, and so we're also not able to monitor like bad news and so like historically on Antarctic stations, all the messages used to come through the station leader. Through that that they were also able to like monitor to some extent what information was coming and so if there was, for example, of fatality or like someone was breaking up, there's somebody then they would have a better understanding of what might be going on in that person's life and also be able to support them through that.
Speaker 5: Some of those a guy who was engaged.
Speaker 4: When he came down to the station and didn't tell anybody that actually they're completely breaking up that halfway through the mission.
Speaker 1: Can you explain? Because this I found fascinating third quarter syndrome, and as it relates to if you've been out of society for a while and this is your society, you don't really have somebody giving feedback on what's appropriate anymore in society it's whatever this society you created says is appropriate. What do you do? What do you do with third quarter syndrome? When people are getting weird or weird or weirder and that kind of stuff happens and you're in total isolation. Who you calling?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it's pretty wild.
Speaker 4: But I guess in reality, I think actually people were more cautious about relationships and that kind of thing. And you know, you could of It's not that you go out and like Saturday night and be a bit loose because because you're going to see the person the next day and for the rest of the mission.
Speaker 5: So actually, I think if anybody.
Speaker 4: Actually had feelings for someone, then they would kind of be a lot more slow, a lot more thoughtful about it. And and I mean in reality, there wasn't it wasn't really that much possi in terms of relationships. You know, you're stuck with it. It's not that much choice. So but I mean they have been relationships happening, and there's also obviously been breakups as well, so it is a difficult thing to manage, and I think crews do find it difficult.
Speaker 5: And and there were obviously sort of.
Speaker 4: Interactions within the crew, which were sort of based on that as well, which was sometimes challenging, especially as being a female DYNA. So we have three girls and ten guys, so that's like quite a big wow.
Speaker 1: Well, can you explain that as a relate? So I mentioned third quarter syndrome, can you explain to people there are things that happen at different points and you need to be aware of what's going to happen at those different points and it's pretty standard, correct, Yeah, And I mean.
Speaker 4: So of course, it was just like it was really challenging, Like I was, I was surprised by high challenging. It was because you kind of cruised through the first two what is and like, you know, the first quarter is super exciting. You're in an out there for me my dream to go down there, and there's a lot going on. There's a lot to like keep you busy or like setting up all the experiments. And then you kind of come into the second quarter and you've still got like little bits to do, but you're kind of getting the hang of being there and you're kind of getting used to it, and you know, it's like when you go on holiday, you know, the environment feels kind of crazy to start with but then you kind of get used to it wherever you are in the world. And you're also going into like the long polar night, so that has its novelty as well. With like you know, firsh you like walk out the door in the middle of the day and it would be like you look at the milk away and it.
Speaker 5: Was like it's pretty special. It's kind of cool time.
Speaker 4: And then you come to midwinter, which is like kind of like Christmas in Antarctica, and that time also is kind of nice because you're like you're interacting with all the other stations, like only obviously not in person, but like over a messenger and stuff, and wishing each other like happy midwinter, and like having celebrations as a crew, which you're all kind of actually importantly all working together on the same task, which is actually really good for the team dynamics, you know, having these like communal things that you're working on. And then it's over and everyone just feels completely lost. You're like exhausted. You haven't seen the sun for like over a month. You feel like you've been in Antarctica forever and it's still exactly the same amount of time left to go, and people just get really really down, really tired, really forgetful, Like I remember, I would start because because of FT three syndrome as well, you just get really forgetful and a bit confused, and like you'd be trying to put like the wrong shoe on the wrong foot.
Speaker 5: I would start doing a task and then.
Speaker 4: I forgot that I've done that and start doing something else, and then like turn around me and realize that, like the SUSI has been going for like hours. You're like, oh, so it was just it was a really confusing time and and yeah, and everyone did struggle. That's definitely where a lot of the arguments kind of came up. I think in terms of arguments, it was kind of interesting. I thought that it would be like more fiery because I was on a French Italian station. We've got Italians everywhere. You think it's going to be like a bit more hectic, But actually it was like this weird kind of Nobody wanted to be like the bad guy, and so nobody wanted to be visually seen as being obnoxious or annoying or like as being.
Speaker 5: Mean to someone else, and so just keep me an idea. There was one person that didn't particularly like me on the crew and instead of like being openly unpleasant to me, they would just like hide all my things.
Speaker 1: Constantly hide all your things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I'd go to go outside, like obviously you need loads of gear to go. It's like it's like minus eighty centigrade really really cool, and.
Speaker 5: Like my glove would be gone and you're like, where's my glove? Got?
Speaker 4: Like and then the next day again, then my boots would be gone and it would be like hidden somewhere in the station.
Speaker 5: It just dave you not. It was just like this weird like underlying thing going on the station.
Speaker 1: Are you then allowed to write down? This man should not go to Mars? Are you allowed to report? How about this man should not be out of this room tomorrow if you took my boots? What are you kidding me? How do you go to the next day if he did? Okay, it's small.
Speaker 5: Thing to do, but it drives you crazy, Like.
Speaker 1: It's not small. That's not small.
Speaker 3: I mean you need that just like hiding the toilet paper.
Speaker 6: That's not all the chocolate in the roof as well, that.
Speaker 1: I would do. What do you do to have people? Well?
Speaker 4: So like so I mean a lot of work has been done on this particular period to try and like try and make improve it. And I mean one of the one of the biggest things which I just touched on there was about having these team tasks because actually as a crew, you all go down because you have your own skill or skill set. Because they can't have many people on the station. They want to have as few people in the station as possible to make it all work properly, and so you're all quite individually quite different in terms of what skills you're bringing to the station, and so as the virtue is that you end up all having quite different jobs and tasks on the station, and you're not often working collaboratively on lots of things.
Speaker 5: And so one of the big things.
Speaker 4: That they found has been really effective in improving team cohesion is having these like shared goals within the team. And so there's a big focus of that during that period. And it's kind of interesting because like actually Concordia, which is that station the first over winter, the station wasn't quite ready to be to be overwintered in a lot of it still hadn't been finished, like the kitchen wasn't done, the like sinning area wasn't done, and there was a big kind of question over whether or not they were going to winter or not, and in the end they decided that they would, but that the crew would help kind of build the station during that winter, and it was actually the most effective winter that they ever had because the crew were all like working together on all these shared tasks trying to build everything and try to make everything, and it was.
Speaker 5: Actually really good for the dynamics team.
Speaker 4: And so we try and like replicate that as well in future over winters, to try and put these kind of artificial tasks in place where people have to work together effectively for and that's been fun to be really useful.
Speaker 1: How about this test and we found my freaking book. Yeah, I'm going to go back a step. Wait, wait, wait, because I'm trying to understand.
Speaker 3: So you said there was one person on the crew who decided that he didn't you said, like you or whatever?
Speaker 1: But did they? Did they? At what point did he realize that? I mean?
Speaker 3: Did would they have sent you in if if they knew that that somehow somebody irritated somebody going in? Is that part of the researcher I'm trying to figure out what the hell you could have done to this guy?
Speaker 1: I would they not have screened for that or something.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Well, the chef actually from the winter before, so he was like coming out of his winter when I was going into my winter.
Speaker 5: We had like a bit of overlap during the summertime, and he.
Speaker 4: Actually wrote to Easther and said that he thought that I was an experiment that being put into the project because I was like a young girl and thought that it was Easter trying to mess with the dynamics station and that I should be like removed from the program before we even Oh it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: That wasn't a red flag for Captain whoever.
Speaker 3: They think it's like an episode of Big Brother, you know.
Speaker 1: So we gotta wrap like two questions. Do you have locks on the doors? No, okay, I don't. That's something I'm bringing. I'm bringing a padlock. That's number one. But I also wonder too about the answer morphizing If I got that right, like and castaway. I understand with like seafaring guys who were lost and seeing whatever they start doing that that that Wilson the volleyball is not an unusual story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so when I arrived again, so when I arrived during the summer, the overwintering crew from before just leaving, and one of them had like all the fresh fruit and vegetables and everything comes in during the summer on the flight, and one of them had like find like a lettice leave with like a slug on it and like it kept it as like a pet because like we and I was like, this is staying up. So I like come from like London like May and but actually like by the time I got to the end of my winter, I can kind of relate to it because it's strange, like at Congoria, there's no path, there's no other animals living. We haven't even found bacteria to be able to survive in the environment outside because it's just so extreme, and so you just get this weird thing where like everyone's kind of the same age more or less. But you don't see old people, you don't see young people, you don't see any animals. You don't see like you don't get to like jump and submerge yourself into water because it's all frazen. You know, like if you like throw a hot cup of tea outside, the window vaporizes before and there's these weird simple things of life that you really miss. Just like the smell of trees, there's no mud or dirt or anything like that, and so there is something different and there's something special about being off for sure, which makes you kind of trip a little bit.
Speaker 1: I think, doctor bethewly, thank you so much. Are you going back into some sort of crazy situation or are you done with that?
Speaker 5: We'll see. I'm always you know, I'm somewhere remote, but maybe not.
Speaker 1: And if you see the butter, if you're out in the of and you see I'm the boot stealer, do you go? I mean, yeah, something waiting now right here. We're going at it right now, thanks very much.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Now I'll go to the moon. You take me to the moon. I think that's really all right.
Speaker 1: How you would go to the moon?
Speaker 3: Probably the yeah, yeah, don't wait for me to go on that mission.
Speaker 1: If you want to get that. He's not even going up to the council to go.
Speaker 3: That would be the worst part for me, is going into the There's no way. Yeah, that would be well, good luck.
Speaker 1: I hope you get your dreams and wishes and maybe we'll talk to you after the moon mission. So do you know what God meane? What I realize is after a certain period of time become seinfall because firshing a yelling, she stealing. It's like that's I read about that third quarter syndrome where like the first half you're excited and then you're just not and then you get aggressive. I don't need to be a guy underpants.
Speaker 3: Well, the other thing I wanted to tsk that we didn't ask is you know, would it be better or worse if you sent actual couples or if you spent very close friends.
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Is it gonna be Is it gonna help the situation? Or are they gonna Are they gonna fall apart?
Speaker 1: We kill each other in the first third because they're already knowing each other.
Speaker 3: Here's the other thing. This is the real thing I understand. I'm sure the excitement of exploration. I would I listen if if we suddenly are sending a mission to Mars. I'm gonna be listening to that story in Celan because I think it's fascinating.
Speaker 1: But what do we do?
Speaker 3: And they go, well, we have to get to Mars to get beyond. Beyond is worse.
Speaker 1: And I'll tell you something else. You're my closest friend in the world. We've spent over thirty some years. We spent a lot of time together. I love you. You're in that thing with me. I'll kill you. I'll kill you.
Speaker 3: We haven't shared a hotel room. You and I would kill you. You're in the room next door.
Speaker 1: Are your mother? You hid my sod? So stopping you? Can you imagine you hid my glove? I can't go outside because things that annoy us. Now that we go outside, we joke about what annoys is now in part of our friendship. Right months five in isolation, it's over. Where's Jason? I don't want to say, is that his blood on your shirt could be Google high.
Speaker 5: I have her glove.
Speaker 1: And we're out. Good night, everybody.
Speaker 3: You've convinced me that isolation may be best for something some people, and I can clearly say not choosing me from Mars.
Speaker 1: Goodbye now by everybody.
Speaker 7: As another episode of really no really, he comes to a close. I know you're wondering who holds the record for being in isolation the longest. Well, I will share that answer with you and you alone in a moment.
Speaker 1: But first let's thank our guest, doctor Beth Heally.
Speaker 7: You can follow her on Instagram and x where she is at Bethaheally or on her website betheely dot com, although of course her actually contacting you back is unlikely. Find all pertinent links in our show notes, our little show hangs out on Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, and threads at really No Really podcasts, And of course you can share your thoughts and feedback with us online at reallynoreally dot com. If you have a really some amazing factor story that boggles your mind, share it with us, and if we use it, we will send you a little gift. Nothing life changing, obviously, but it's the thought that counts. Check out our full episodes on YouTube, hit that subscribe button and take that bell so you're updated when we release new videos and episodes, which we do each Tuesday. So listen and follow us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts. And now the answer to the question what is the longest a human being has lived in self inflicted isolation? Well, the current record seems to be held by Beatrice Flamini, an extreme athlete from Spain. Her comparison, the previous record had been held by an Italian sociologist named Maurizio Montalbini he spent two hundred and ten days completely isolated from everyone and everything in a cave in nineteen eighty seven. Ms Flamini, however, blew that record away when she isolated herself in an underground cave from November of twenty twenty one till April of twenty twenty three, for a grand total of five hundred days, more than doubling the record. She spent much of the time exercising.
Speaker 1: Drawing, reading, and knitting.
Speaker 7: She could send text messages out, but could not receive messages back. She was sent supplies but never saw or interacted with her supply team. After emerging from the cave, she said she basically enjoyed her time alone and felt she could easily have gone another five hundred days without any emotional problems, Which leads me to think, what with all the problems in this world, maybe the answers we just moved back to the caves. People Who's with me? Or more relevantly, who's willing to leave me alone?
Speaker 4: M hm?
Speaker 7: Really? No, really is production of iHeart Radio and Blaise Entertainment
Speaker 2: M