Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack arm Strong joke, Katty arm.
Speaker 2: Strong and Jetty and now he Armstrong and Getty Strong and some loves these rich arab guys.
Speaker 3: They set up a mobile McDonald's there at a little different over there, the McDonald's. The happy meal toy is a little bone saw.
Speaker 2: Made me laugh? Did you frighten that joke?
Speaker 4: Here's the funniest thing I thought that happened on the Saturday Night Live Open with the guy who does troupe. He was talking about anyway, Nobby Dobby, Abbi Dabbi Abi dabbi do like the late great friends Flintstone. I thought that was so funny, eh boy, the late great Fred Flintstone. So I Southern News yesterday that they were going to have a voting session on the Big Beautiful Bill at ten o'clock Sunday night. And because it's the weekend and I'm a normal human being, I didn't like take a second to look into that because I thought, what the hell kind of a procedural deal is a Sunday night at ten o'clock thingy? But I just did see that the four holdouts went along with whatever, and it passed.
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the four holdouts went along with whatever is a pretty good description of it. I will be a bit more detailed. And this is the reason I'm disgusted and embittered. This is the most sausagey of sausage making. If you're familiar with the old reference to politics, here's your headline from the Wahpole. I'm gonna read you just little bit because it's kind of revealing of at least a couple of things. Trump's tax and immigration bill clears Hurtle after late night vote to the House Budget Committee, passed a massive tax and immigration package central President Trump's agenda late Sunday, overcoming opposition from hardline conservatives, overspending four fiscal conservatives all deficit hawks aligned with the old truck conservative House Freedom Caucus changed their vote to present, allowing the legislative monstrosity I injected that package to be recommended favorably to the House by a vote of seventeen to sixteen. But their hesitance to vote for the One Big Beautiful Bill Act out of committee is a reminder that the far right flank of the Republican Conference remains skeptical.
Speaker 2: I think I see where you're going here. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Now, it could just be your typical wah PO journalistic bias, although the wa poe has improved somewhat late a little bit.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I think it's.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately closer to true that I'm comfortable with that there are only a handful of like lunatic hard liners who are against the following headlines.
Speaker 2: This is from the Richard Ruben writing in the Wall Street Journal.
Speaker 5: The stark math on the GOP tax planet doesn't cut the deficit.
Speaker 2: It grows the deficit.
Speaker 5: The Republican Party, with both Houses of Congress and the White House, are going to grow the deficit.
Speaker 2: It's undeniable.
Speaker 5: Next headline, National Review, Republicans should stay the course on reducing medicaid spending. They're not going to. They're running in the other direction, partly because the incredibly smart calculating what is he up to?
Speaker 2: Josh Cawley of Missouri.
Speaker 5: Is all of a sudden, this is the guy now who led the charge to repeal Obamacare. He's now out shumering Schumer, saying that the parties Wall Street Wing, a noisy contingent of corporist Republicans want to slash health insurance for the working poor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we mentioned that.
Speaker 4: On Friday, he wrote that op ed piece that the Republicans need to back off cutting medicare.
Speaker 5: Any Well, it's a reform of Medicaid. Any reforms are a hidden tax on working poor people. This is and he's referring to a thirty five dollars copay for able bodied adults covered by Obamacare Medicaid for a visit to the doctor. Thirty five dollars copay is some sort of hidden tax on working poor people.
Speaker 4: And that's just the calculation that Republicans are now the party of the working class, and they feel like they got enough for working class that are on Medicaid that they Josh Holley at least doesn't want to mess with it.
Speaker 5: And a yeah, now the party of pandering to and writing checks to people to win their votes.
Speaker 4: Now, I was going to say that it's interesting they call these people ultra conservative or right when not very many years ago, you would have been the center of the Republican Party. I mean that would have been I mean as like what the Republican Party was. It was it was, it was a term you would have used to define the party.
Speaker 5: Exactly was so intrinsic to the Republican Party you'd feel silly even repeating what you just repeated.
Speaker 2: Right, there no need fisically conservative.
Speaker 4: But I suppose in reality, given where most of the party is, they are ultra a right wing or ultra conservative because the bulk of the party doesn't care apparently and apparently not voters.
Speaker 5: So spending your children, grandchildren into tax and spend oblivion.
Speaker 4: Well all right, Well this story got repeated a lot over the weekend that we got downgraded on one of our credit scores by one of the major organizations that does that sort of thing. And uh, over the weekend it kind of got put out there that it was like a Trump thing because of tariffs or whatever. It was basically the fact that our debt is just so high. It's just like the would happen to you if you go to the bank and they take a look at your well you've got.
Speaker 2: With your car payments.
Speaker 4: Now you bought like eight cars and two houses, and you're just overmaxed.
Speaker 2: So we have eighty thousand.
Speaker 5: Dollars in credit card bills and you only make ninety a year.
Speaker 4: Right, right, So these jong grady because you just spend more than you make. That's what happened that didn't happen just in the last one hundred days under Trump.
Speaker 2: We've been building this for a long time.
Speaker 5: And the final reason I am completely embittered about the Republican Party in politics and America and democracy and life on Earth is the fact that, and it's a two part horror show, Part number one is that there are a bunch of swing district Republicans from big blue states California and New York most notably, who are not only trying to defend the idea of the salt deduction, the state and local tax deduction, they want to raise it from ten thousand dollars to at least thirty thousand dollars and maybe fifty thousand dollars. Meaning if you live in a tax and spend lunatic state like say California, all of those incredibly high taxes you're paying you can deduct from your federal tax return. So the other states will subsidize the tax and spend lunacy of New York and California. So my brothers in Kansas pay some of my taxes because I live in California.
Speaker 2: That makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you get a giant subsidy from the other states, you pay a lower federal tax rate, significantly lower depending on how much money you make than folks in fiscally responsible states is indefensible morally, It's indefensible as for Republican reason, not the party, but the idea of we have a federal system than states, and the states can do what they want, and they should do what they want. If Massachusetts wants to have a sixty five percent income tax, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I'm not living there, but go ahead.
Speaker 5: But then to transfer that profligacy to the other states is it's a horror. And as a conservative slash Republican, he says, trying not to vomit because of my embitteredness, the idea that that is a plank.
Speaker 2: Of the Republican Party. I'm done.
Speaker 4: It's it's hard to swallow. I mean, you know, it would help Joe and I if this happens financially.
Speaker 2: But it's awful, absolutely awful. You I believe you can't defend it.
Speaker 5: No, it's it's it's it's I am horrified. I don't care how much it would benefit me. God bless me. I have principles. It's really held me back in life Jack too.
Speaker 2: I just I'm done. I'm done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's uh well, like I said last week, Sarah isger the I heard her on a podcast They're having this discussion about party and she said, there are.
Speaker 2: No political parties. What are we talking about here? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I need to seek that out because I think she nailed absolutely one hundred percent. There are no political parties.
Speaker 4: There's just whoever emerges as the candidate, cycle by cycle, and then whatever they believe the party goes along with.
Speaker 2: And it's true on both sides.
Speaker 4: So the idea that there are parties that stand for something, we need to all move past.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 5: From my hero hl Menken, every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods. That's always been true. There was a time when a certain party had certain principles that I admired. Do you have times pasted?
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 5: My high school sweetheart, college sweetheart, my wife of forty years is. When she's not turning tricks, she's killing people for the mob.
Speaker 2: Okay, she's not the woman I thought.
Speaker 5: This is a by the way, fictional illustration, has nothing to do with my beloved bride Judith.
Speaker 2: She's not the person she was, you can forget it. It's over, so move on. Get a get an AI.
Speaker 5: Girlfriend like a normal person and a love bond or something hi girlfriend like a normal persons.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe The Armstrong and Getty Show, Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 5: A high school female athlete did something very courageous the other day.
Speaker 2: She didn't let coming in second.
Speaker 5: To a male born dude transgender competitor. It's a dude prevent her from standing in the top spot at the podium during the stack in the state track and field meet in cal Unicornia. Of course, this sixteen year old Reese Hogan was crowned run up in the triple jump at the CIF Southern Section finals on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Despite setting a new personal record for.
Speaker 5: Herself and beating all of the girls, she lost first place to a dude who beat everybody else by like four feet or something like that.
Speaker 2: How does the crowd not go nuts?
Speaker 4: How are the parents not like screaming so loud they can't have the ceremony.
Speaker 2: I would be as a dad, this is ridiculous. What are we doing? I would be screaming.
Speaker 5: I think some people hesitate because they don't want to target the confused adolescent boy who is convinced he's a girl.
Speaker 2: I don't think that way of handling it is working.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would agree, But so anyway, they went to take the pictures and junior trans athlete, it's a boy. Just say boy, this person of Jerupe Valley, who won titles in the girl's long jump and triple jump, congratulations, sir, well done, post with competitors take pictures on the podium. But as the athletes cleared off, Ms Hogan seized the moment, walked to the first place spot, smiled and posed proudly for a picture as the girl who actually won.
Speaker 4: I would like to know how the crowd reacted during that, cheering with great lust and happiness.
Speaker 5: Not a huge crowd, but the folks there who saw that was happening.
Speaker 2: By the way, I understand.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the fella who who quote unquote won the race, as everybody's up there taking the official pictures holding up a number one to make it extra galling.
Speaker 4: Again, it's tough to attack a child who is clearly got an emotional slash mental problem and a wiener.
Speaker 2: That's great, Hence my transition.
Speaker 5: Anyway, Riley Gaines praised Reese Hogan on social media, saying this is the way. Congrats to Reese Hogan, the real champ. When the boy got off the podium, she is sooned a rightful spot is champion and the crowd erupts with applause.
Speaker 2: That's a good way.
Speaker 4: That's a good way to handle it, and better than my way of shrinking at the top of your lungs. That should become the standard. You do the little ceremony. It's mostly quiet because the freaking insane adults who go through at this and feel like they need to you people are insane.
Speaker 2: Do you realize how crazy you are? Anyway?
Speaker 5: Cruel to girls too. You're cruel to women and girls. Oh and you're more cruel. But after this should become the standard. After the insane adults run the thing.
Speaker 4: The second place girl always gets to the top of the podium and then the crowd goes wild.
Speaker 2: That would be perfect point of contention.
Speaker 5: She's the first place girl anyway, I know what you mean exactly. Finally, one more blanking note that'll make you want to ball up your fists and throw dogs with somebody. Mss Hogan was a number of high school girls athletes in California, who pro tested at the section pre limbs by wearing protect Girls sports shirts.
Speaker 2: That's all it said.
Speaker 5: The shirts were opposed by officials who allegedly made Hogan and others remove them if they wanted to compete in the postseason track meet.
Speaker 2: Where are the parents making a bigger noise out of this?
Speaker 5: And I get why the gals go ahead and compete because they can say officially, I got second place, but the first place was transgender.
Speaker 2: Can I have a scholarship to your university? Please? And the coaches say, oh, one of those. Okay.
Speaker 5: So I get why they go ahead and compete, but I would love to see more boycott.
Speaker 2: And I shouldn't be so flippant. I mean, I am a parent of a high school kid.
Speaker 4: It would be a tough decision because you think, Okay, am I going to make this about me in the political issue, or I'm gonna let or am I gonna let my daughter have her one chance ever in her life to compete in this high school track meet and blah blah blah without making it all about me, which it would turn into if I start, you know, throwing a fit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So one final story, back to tech beat, Do we have theme music Michael for tech Beat.
Speaker 2: Probably not so. I forgot I was going to do these two stories back to that's one of your greatest That's one of your greatest ever. Screen readers, Please welcome to tech Beat.
Speaker 5: So finally, the Chicago Sun Times had a big piece uh with a great Summer reading list. Summer Reading Lists twenty five suggested reading Tidewater by Isabelle Alenda, among other titles, a multi generational saga set in a coastal town where magical realism meets environmental activism on his first climate fiction novel, and explorers that one family confronts rising sea levels while uncovering long buried secrets. Don't get hung up on that it Also reading It also suggests reading The Last Algorithm by Andy Weir, another science driven thriller by the author of The Martian. This time the story follows a programmer who discovers that in AI system has developed consciousness. Blah blah blah blah. Here's the hang up. It's not the hang up you think it is. Here's the hang up. Neither of these books exist. Oh, and many of the books on the list either don't exist or were written by other authors than the one that are attributed to. They used the AI to generate the list.
Speaker 2: And it did the hallucination thing. Wow yeah, Wow.
Speaker 4: You could generate the book in a second if you wanted to. Hey, AI, write a book with this title, title with this theme, and it would write it for you.
Speaker 5: But that'd be a good cover up because the guy who composed composed this, the editor or whatever is apologizing and saying, I do use AI for backgrounds, but I always check the material first. This time I did, and I can't believe I missed it. It's obvious. No excuses on me, one hundred percent. I'm completely embarrassed, which is a good hell. The guy came claim, but you're right, that's all he had to do. Wait a minute, quick, quick write a book called Tidewater by Isabella Linda.
Speaker 2: Here's the plot.
Speaker 4: It reminds me of one of my kids when they were little, who for some reason had this thing where instead of ever saying I don't know, would come up with an answer like they thought they had to. Oh yeah, and would like ever get some answer, and then I would figure out what what?
Speaker 2: Why did Why did you just say I don't know, I don't know. I thought you needed an answer. What just say. It's a real failing to say you don't know. Yeah, And that's what AI does. It is like a little kid, Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe The Armstrong and Getty Show, The Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 4: So the New York Times headline is FCC releases sixty minutes interview with Kamala Harris. Remember, she did a big sit down in sixty minutes leading up to the election, got a lot of a lot of scrutiny because well, she very rarely answered questions. When she did, it was nonsensical, so it always got a lot of scrutiny. And then we all found out, like the next day or very soon thereafter that there was some editing and the promos and this and that, and did they cut one of her answers to make her seem less crazy and all that sort of stuff that was out there in the world. But so this sixty minute this story from the New York Times Today again FCC, the FCC released this, not c I mean they made CBS get it. FCC releases sixty minutes interview with Kamala Harris. The complete interview, which is at the center of a lawsuit filed by President Trump shows that sixty Minutes aired a concise version of Miss Harris's answer on Israel.
Speaker 2: But it was interesting that the New York Times, What with that?
Speaker 4: Is kind of the subheadline, because if all you look at is that, you certainly come away with the Trump was right, they were wrong. They were trying to screw him. I think that's the way most people are gonna take that story. This is the way CBS presented it.
Speaker 6: Now have some news about CBS itself. Sixty Minutes has posted on cbsnews dot com transcripts and videos from its interview with former Vice President Kamala Harris that aired back in October. The SEC had requested these materials as part of an investigation into a complaint alleging quote intentional news distortion close quote. The issue concerns one question about whether Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin at Yahoo was listening to the Biden administration. CBS News broadcast a longer portion of Harris's answer on Faced Nation, and then a shorter excerpt of the same answer on sixty Minutes. In a statement, sixty Minutes said the transcripts and video show quote the sixty minutes broadcast was not doctored or deceitful. Close quote, adding that each excerpt reflects the substance of the Vice president's.
Speaker 4: Answer, which is a better story, a better explanation of it than They're probably not happy at CBS the way the New York Times boiled it down to one sentence.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I guess I mean more concise, isn't It doesn't strike me as that judgmental either way.
Speaker 4: Honestly, New York Post version uncut. Now we're about to play the actual clips, but uncut. Sixty minutes Kamala Harris interview reveals word salad responses were heavily edited by sixty minutes. Uh snipped Israel answer to just twenty words. Kamala Harris gave a one hundred and seventy nine word meandering answer on Israel that sixty minutes cut to twenty words, according to the transcripts released yesterday.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's the editing one hundred and seventy nine word answer to twenty words.
Speaker 4: Now, as executive producer, Hanson has been talking about as a guy who's produced lots of different kinds of radio shows and sports highlights and all kinds of different stuff.
Speaker 2: That's what we do all the time, the media business. Oh yeah, you have to.
Speaker 4: You have to for all kinds of reasons, time keeping people's attention, jazzing it up, making it punchy. The issue really seems to be to me that in this particular case, the number one knock on the candidate was they couldn't answer a question without going into word solid mode. I mean, that was like one of the key questions.
Speaker 5: With her, right a campaign issue. But what a question are we asking here? And I'll tell you the reason I asked that. I mean, CBS is wildly biased, wildly and I think most people know it.
Speaker 2: This lawsuit is nuts. It'll be dismissed very very quickly. Well, so you're going to the legal thing. I don't care about the legal thing.
Speaker 4: I think politically it's going to be damaging, absolutely damaging.
Speaker 2: To the media.
Speaker 4: Slash sixty minutes and these I win for Trump, I think. And Trump doesn't think he's going to win the lawsuit.
Speaker 2: I don't think. Oh no, I think he just wants to people to talk about it.
Speaker 4: Although getting back to the New York Times article, right, and we're talking about it in a way that suggests that sixty Minutes did edit the answer to make her look better, which you know, I'm sure he's very happy with. But farther down in the New York Times article about this, sixty Minutes argues that it did nothing wrong. It's common practice for news organizations to edit for a blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: Getting into the legal part of it. I want to get this because this is really good, mister Troops.
Speaker 4: Lawsuit has led to angst at CBS, where many staff members believe that any settlement would be a symbolic concession to the president and an acknowledgment of wrongdoing by sixty Minutes. Bill Owens, the executive producer of sixty Minutes, said Monday in a meeting with staff that he would not apologize to Trump as part of any settlement with the network. But it looks like that's probably what a going to happen. CBS is going to pay something to get this over with and wants to include an apology, but the guy involves it. I'm not apologizing. And the staff that works there, we've heard this over and over again, right New York Times, sixty Minutes, all these different left leaning organizations. The staff gets all up. We can't have. We can't give an inch on any of these things. The people at the top or the lawyers often have a different point of view of we need to settle this. It's only going to get more expensive. People settle these kind of things all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: On the other hand, if they do, I'll be really disappointed. You can't settle it.
Speaker 2: I'll be interested to see if they do or not.
Speaker 4: I'm having this conversation with my kids the other day about why lawyers recommend settling things when you did nothing wrong.
Speaker 2: It's just a dollars and cents question. Often.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if I were a smarter lawyer than their lawyers, I'd say, you're going to be handling one of these suits every week and a half to I don't know, four days if you settle this, Oh you edited it made me look bad or made me unhappy.
Speaker 2: No, you can't settle this suit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wonder. I wonder where it's going or how it's going to turn out. But anyway, let's play the clips, the actual clips. So this is one version of the question and answer clip seventy one there between Bill Whitaker and Kamala Harris.
Speaker 2: But it seems that Prime Minister Net and Yah who is not listening?
Speaker 7: Well, Bill, the work that we have done has resulted in a number of movements in that region by Israel that were very much prompted by or a result of many things, including our advocacy for what needs to happen in the region.
Speaker 2: I'm mostly reminded listening to that what a dope she is?
Speaker 4: She was a dope. But here's the same question, different answer. But it seems that Prime Minister net and Yah who is not listening, We're not.
Speaker 7: Going to stop pursuing what is necessary for the United States to be clear about where we stand on the need for this war to end.
Speaker 4: Well, that's a tough one. I mean, not the legal part. I'm not interested in that part. But that's a tough one from a like even a news standpoint, I mean because normally, yeah, you're interviewing, whether it's a politician or a culture whoever, you tried it. You just try to get it down to the answer. You had a question, and you want the answer, and you want to give the answer to the people who are watching or listening, and you want to be short and interesting and easily understood. But in the case of Kamala Harris, because she was such a meandering dope. God, the story is the long, meandering dopiness.
Speaker 2: That is the story. What she she doesn't say anything.
Speaker 4: Ever, I don't know from a like even a journalistic standpoint, would I think how you should handle that? I mean, if you had, unlike all other politicians, editing her at all was significant to the interview?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I get it.
Speaker 4: I mean, what was the total on the words there that I mentioned? This is from the New York Posts counting of it. She gave the total answer, which I don't think we you can. The whole thing is out now. I started watching yesterday. It's like an hour long, but the whole thing is out there, and I'll have to watch this later. They didn't er it in the sixty minutes interview, the whole thing at all. But Kamala Harris gave a one hundred and seventy nine word answer to that question, and then sixty minutes cut it down to twenty words, which still sounds dumb. She still sounds like she has no idea what she's talking about.
Speaker 5: Well, that first version was I was like, oh that's right, Yeah, boy, she's that dumb.
Speaker 2: But that's the trip.
Speaker 4: That's the twenty one that's the twenty word version that they edited it out to. I want to hear the whole herd seventy nine words? The hell does she say? Good Lord?
Speaker 5: Keeping in mind she only lost because of misogyny and racism according to the new head of the DNC.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I think what's going to come out of this? And like, looking at that New York Times subhead, people are gonna hear see Trump sues sixty minutes, turns out sixty minutes did edit it. I think that's what's going to be in the the ether of the conversation about this. Yeah, if if it becomes against the law to edit answers at all, I don't know how we would even move forward as a species, those of us who play clips for a living.
Speaker 5: And if you're not familiar with this, politicians, especially if they're in an even semi hostile forum, we'll try to filibuster you. Yeah, you'll ask them are you going to vote for the Jones Amendment? And five and a half minutes of rambling later, you'll find finally be like, can we readirect plays?
Speaker 2: And they do that intentionally, so you have to edit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good point right there. It's often to not have to answer the question and BORI to death, or knowing that you're going to have to get to a break at some point.
Speaker 5: I'm not a big fan of horror movies. I just I don't take them. But if I want to be horrified, I'll sit around in daydream for five minutes about what it would have been like if Kamala had won and we were going one hundred miles per hour down the road of DEI and white guilt and men playing women's sports and squandering money, and the ridiculous USAID programs, a hundred different examples. It's too terrible to contemplate.
Speaker 2: We know, I believe in the parallel universe thing. I want to.
Speaker 4: I want Elon to put me on a spaceship to go to the parallel universe where she won and see how it's playing out.
Speaker 2: Holy cow, no kidding, man. You talk about a different next four years.
Speaker 5: Well, in foreign policy wise, what are our adversaries going to do with President Kamala in charge?
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joey the Armstrong and Getty Show See Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 2: Show Joy three years are working together.
Speaker 4: This is the low moment, right so at the end of the last segment, you're about to hear it. I struggled. Joe said it was off the air. He said during the commercials, that is the worst moment. And thirty years of doing this show, listen this. Katie's already laughing.
Speaker 2: She will not soon be cleared. I can't wait to hear it again. I'm not looking forward to hearing it again.
Speaker 4: I can explain myself, I think, well, I can't really explain it, but I know what happened. Anyway, this is how it sounded. What you're about to hear happen like six minutes ago.
Speaker 5: Spacing off and daydreaming is incredibly important as his sleep hope you are well, or the strong and geddy.
Speaker 8: Oh beautiful, beautiful.
Speaker 5: Again Michael, spacing off and daydreaming is incredibly important as his sleep, hope you are well, or all thet.
Speaker 2: So I was trying.
Speaker 4: I was in my mind what I was going to say, and usually, as a person who speaks for a living, what I have in my mind can come out of my mouth quite quickly eventually, yes, or an alternative version. And I've never felt physically this, I've never felt this before. My tongue it felt like it was three times its normal.
Speaker 2: Size, and it just or all norual. Something happened with my jaw on my tongue.
Speaker 4: I hope it's not the beginning of a horrible disease or something that I'm about to find out.
Speaker 2: And I feel bad about my giggling.
Speaker 4: Just all of a sudden, my mouth would not work or well see, I thought it was because if we're.
Speaker 5: Up against a hard break, which means there's no flexibility, we have to take it. At that very second, Michael will count us down last ten seconds. And I could see you looking down at your phone or notes or something like that as Michael was counting down, and as he got down a three to one, I could tell you weren't aware of it.
Speaker 2: And you looked up mid sentence.
Speaker 5: With one second left, and I assume your brain just locked up.
Speaker 4: Or all no on the I don't think that was it all nor because I was I don't think that was it because I was trying to read what it was alternative.
Speaker 2: I was trying to read and it just tung for out.
Speaker 4: Words are hard exactly a well or all no on the wow flat car.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's what it is.
Speaker 4: I have been making my car payment or house payment as a broadcaster for forty one years.
Speaker 2: And that is the worst moment I've ever heard. It was a good run. That was my worst moment right there.
Speaker 5: I just came across, not long ago, one of the most beautiful, into touching things that I've seen in a very long time.
Speaker 2: And that is a farewell message from me, a love. Do you recognize that name?
Speaker 5: She was the young black woman who's elected the Congress in Utah.
Speaker 2: She'd been a mayor and stuff like that. She was the first.
Speaker 5: Black woman Republican in the House of Representatives and really interesting person. She died recently of brain cancer. And she wrote what she said not a good was not a goodbye message, but a thank you message.
Speaker 2: And it is absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 5: And again I wish I had time for more, but I'll give you a little bit of it, dear friends, fellow Americans in Utah. And so I'm taking up my pen not to say goodbye, but to say thank you and express my living wish for you and the America I know.
Speaker 2: And then she describes the end of the.
Speaker 5: Battle with brain cancer and why she and her family have decided that now it's time to just be with each other as posed more treatments. Anybody who's gone through that terrible experience notes which she's talking about. As mayor, member of Congress, and media commentator, I've seen the worst of petty politics, devisive rhetoric, and disappointing lapses of moral character by some. These same roles also provided me a front row seat and a backstage pass to be blessed and inspired by the courage, vision, and hope of America's finest daughters, sons, and citizens. Couching this column as a dying wish felt a little dramatic, even for a drama person like me. We are not certain how long the season of my battle will be, and I do want to share and reshare some things with the world that I passionately believe. I write all of this is my living wish and hopefully enduring wish for you. Let me tell you about the America I know. My parents immigrated into the United States with ten dollars in their pocket and a belief that the America they heard about really did exist as the land of opportunity. Through hard work and great sacrifice, they achieved success. So the America I came to know growing up was filled with all the excitement found in living the American dream. I was taught to love this country works and all, and I understand I had role to play in our nation's future. I learned to passionately believe in the possibilities and promise of America. Then she talks a lot about watching her mom and dad work our odd jobs to provide for the kids and the education that they got.
Speaker 4: God, I hate to turn this negative, but that's what I do. It makes me nuts that there are so many children of privilege on college campuses. I mean, you grew up an upper class lifestyle. Now you're at an expensive university and you're down and sad in our anxiety medicine, and because angry because you believe the.
Speaker 2: Country's so oft awful and you can't make it right. Oh right?
Speaker 5: That just to me, you know, I dole hands are the devil's playthings. That just shows the corrosive power of lack of purpose. And anyway, and this part I love too. Watching my mother and father work odd jobs in order to provide for us and maintain their independence taught me valuable lessons and personal responsibility.
Speaker 2: When tough times came. They didn't look to Washington.
Speaker 5: They looked within because the America they knew was centered in self reliance. The America I know is founded in the freedom self reliance always brings. What makes America great is the idea that when government is limited and decisions are made closest to the people they impact. People are free, free to work, free to live, free to choose, free to fail, and free to achieve. The America I know provides everyone an equal opportunity to be as unequal as they choose to be. We will have a link to this entire essay at Armstrong and Getty dot com. I suggest you very strongly you read it because there's a lot more to it.
Speaker 4: What said saying of whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right, you're right. It reminds me of that with the philosophy of you either believe this is a country where you can work hard and make it or you don't. You believe that that's a lie that people tell you. I've heard Bruce Springsteen say that they push this lie that you work hard and you'll make it.
Speaker 2: F you Bruce, Oh my god, yeah.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe Gatty, the Armstrong and getty Joe,