Speaker 1: What's up, everybody. Welcome back to another episode of Buco Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network. I'm Noah Hiles. Joining me as always is my guy Mark aka Platinum Key. Josh will be on this episode. Later he'll have his weekly segment Jay Hay Now, which sends us into the weekend. We are recording this on Thursday, August thirteenth. The Pirates are gonna conclude their three games set in Miami later today, but honestly, mark the games, they just kind of don't matter anymore. This is this season's pretty much over. So rather than breaking down yet another series loss for the Pirates, I believe that's seven or eight in a row, I'm losing track. We're gonna talk about We're gonna talk about the big story on the day, and then it's one of the biggest stories in baseball, and that's Paul Skins. Paul Skins his last start, if you looked at it on paper, wasn't horrible. He went five innings, he only allowed two runs, but he was pulled after sixty five pitches. His velocity sitting at ninety five miles an hour in the entire Baseball world is wondering what's going on with Paul Skins Mark all Throat Originally, I mean, I know you watch every game. What are you thinking when you're watching him pitch his last outing.
Speaker 2: It's a stark difference compared to the Paul Skins we watched Winnisi Young win Rookie of the Year. He only had four whiffs in his last outing. That's unheard of for Paul Skins. You just don't see him having that kind of struggle where I mean he usually can find a way to get the whiffs and find the way to strike guy's out. It was nice he like add a double playball. We haven't seen him turn too many of those. Get him out of some trouble there, and you have the stat line didn't look that bad, but watching it, it felt so much worse. Like I was kind of surprised after watching that game looking at the box score, going like, oh, it wasn't terrible, but it just felt bad, especially getting pulled at sixty five pitches. And I think that's like the biggest concern for me is just like, if he's pitching efficiently, why aren't we letting him go past the fifth inning? So that was my biggest reflag. I'm just confused by that decision. If he's healthy, why aren't you letting your ace throw more than seventy pitches? And that leads me to think that maybe there's something that's not going well that they want to limit his pitch count to address that. But yeah, what are your thoughts on this?
Speaker 1: I don't know overall. I can't say I'm super surprised by any of it, because this is where this has been trending, this is where we've been heading. And there was that little stretch in July where they won three straight starts of his in a row. But again, like we pointed out, a lot of that was due to overwhelmingly high run support and any time that he's needed to be Paul Skans really this year, he just hasn't been. And I think he is. He's lost right now. Yeah, and I've said that on the show before too, that I don't know if he knows what's wrong, or if he's able to admit what's wrong even if he does know. So when I saw that stuff, it wasn't a surprise. So to me, where my mind immediately wondered was how much longer are they going to let this go on. Yeah, because this is a guy who's just simply never going to be allowed to fail in quiet. Every time that he does not look like Paul Skins, it becomes a bigger conversation. And it's really been a way overshadowing the Pos season collapse because he is in a way bigger than the Pirates as far as the National Baseball steam is concerned. He is the headliner here, especially now that they're not really a relevant team in the playoff race. This is the story around him, and how do you get out of this type of funk when it's lasted this long and when everyone's watching. So that's where my mind wandered, is how much longer do you let him try to figure this out before you just shut him down? Which we can talk about now, because there's two sides of that coin. I'm a big believer that young players should be allowed to struggle, That young players should be given the opportunity to figure it out, if they are healthy enough to figure it out, if they are mentally capable of figuring it out, if there is no sign of significant damage on the horizon, if you allow it to keep going, then let someone punch their way out of it, or at least try because you never know what you're gonna learn. I also think that shutting schemes down right now is the clearest waving of the white flag on the season that you can have. Yep, unless if you're putting him on the IL, which I mean, and maybe that's how you do it. You just say like he has arm fatigue or something. But anything you put him on the IL for, if it's related to an arm is going to create like a massive panic. So if you were to give him an IL thing stint, it would have to be for like an oblique or something in the mid section. I don't know, it could not be for anything arm related, unless if that's the actual case, then you're just telling the truth. But if you if you shut him down, that they're the clubhouse is dead. Like that the twenty twenty six season for the Pirates, which is essentially over at anyway, they're done. They're done anyway. But I mean for a team that Wednesday night, their manager talked about how they look like they were feeling sorry for themselves. They didn't have a lot of fight. That's just gonna be the vibe from here. On out if they shut down schemes. So I see that side of the coin. All that being said, I'm not convinced that he can't do further damage to himself, like mentally or if this is a physical thing, then this isn't even a conversation. Yep, Right, Like we saw Mitch Keller's VLO drop and just Mitch Keller hadn't looked like himself this year and then all of a sudden season ending injury. You know, I don't think the Pirates are letting Paul Skins pitch through an injury. I think Paul Skeins is mature enough to recognize how stupid it would be for him to pitch through an injury at literally any point in his career, especially right now, especially considering the state of the team. I know he's the ultimate competitor, but like, I think Paul Skins is able to recognize, like, hey, I'm not helping anyone if I'm not a hive percent here. But then there's also the element of like, well, maybe they just don't know right now, but this was this was the first sign where they're like, all right, we need to explore this further, right, Because there's clearly something and if they find something, then this conversation's meaningless. He's done, even if it's something small. If there's an injury, he's done. Yeah, done for twenty twenty six. I don't care if it's turf tow. I don't care if it's an oblique or a hamstring or a blister on his thumb or whatever it is. He's done. He's done because it's clearly been impacting him to a point where he's just not effective, not as effective anymore. But then you go to the mental side of it, and then I'll throw this to you, Mark. You know, you risk a lot of things going wrong if the player isn't mentally capable of handling this right now, and maybe getting away from it would be the better option. And I'm not suggesting I don't think that's what Paul Skeens wants at all. I think Paul Skeens wants to keep fighting through this. But if there is something wrong up there and he starts to because I'm a firm believer of this mess developed from Paul trying to do too much, from him training differently, from him maybe overthinking the way that he goes about getting hitters out game after game, at bad after at bat, and so giving him an opportunity to keep overthinking could lead to further mental duress or even physical duress where he might push himself too far, and then you do have a really big problem. So I'll ask you, Mark, I mean, if they were to come out and just say, hey, Paul Skeins is done, what would your reaction be?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I would support it one hundred percent. That's when we last talked about schemes prior to his last start. I said, you know, if things aren't going well continuing into September, I would fully support shutting him down. He's just too important of an asset to this team and you need to find a way to get him right. I really like what you said about letting him work through these struggles, learn from these mistakes, learn from the adversity, learn how to overcome that, not let it, you know, get too much into him. But at the same time, trotting him out there just for like a humiliation ritual, that's not going to help his mental side either, if he's just getting shelled all the time. So it's it's you gotta find that balance there As to what's best for Paul Skins. He's such a competitor that I feel like shutting him down may not be what he wants, but it could be what's best for him. It could be what's best for this team. Could give some guys, some younger guys in the rotation a shot to figure out, you know, what she got, or give them a chance to show off before the off season if you're trying to move one of these starting pitchers that's younger. But yeah, I mean, it's it's concerning, and there's no easy way of handling this. I don't know if there's a right way or but it's yeah, you gotta do something because you can't just lems go out there for and throw seventy pitches in outing the rest of the year. I don't think what do you think? I mean, could you?
Speaker 1: Well? I mean, I'm just more concerned now if I'm the Pirates, I'm not even thinking about twenty twenty six. It's just like, yeah, how does this affect the orgin organizations? Should direct? Should direct trajectory long term?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Right, right?
Speaker 1: I mean, if it's an injury, what do you what do you even do? If this is a serious injury and I'm not, you know, wishing that or anything. I just knocked on wood because I mean, no one wants to see Postkins hurt. But what if you is, what does that mean for the Pirates next year if there is a baseball season, right? I mean if there's not. Heck, if he's out next year, then it would be best for everyone in this town for their ado to be baseball, right. But yeah, and what does that mean for their relationship with Paul Skins moving forward? As far as the expectation and value that you would hope to get from him, and even if it's not injury, Like, what is the expectation from this guy moving forward?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: If he's hurt or even if he's not hurt. Something is so wrong right now? And yeah, it's it's it seems like you're in a catch twenty two where if you pull, if you wave the white flag, that's gonna haunt him. Yeah, that's gonna haunt him, and it's gonna follow him and you might force him to press even harder in the off season, and you might be creating a mental situation that I could allow it to continue to spiral. Exactly if he's hurt, then that's the other part of it, where how hurt is he? How long has he been hurt? There's so much into this and it expands way, way, way further than twenty twenty six. And it's it's interesting because, I mean, there's a chance that people who are making these decisions aren't even gonna be around right to be there for the results. And I mean, it's just scary if you're the Pirates or if you're a Pirates fan, because you've got to figure out a way to you know, stop the bleeding in twenty twenty six. It cannot go any further than this year. And if that, and if you believe, for one reason or another that the best way to do that is by just shutting him down, then that's what has to happen. His feelings be damned right. You know, you get him with your mental skills, coaches, and you just kind of allow him to get right mentally and physically. Maybe send him to Bradenton, keep him away from the team. You got to figure out something though that to me, for the remainder of the season, that's their top priority because it's not making the playoffs. They're not going to make the playoffs. They're probably not going to be a team that finishes above five hundred, and that's disappointing. But now the story of the season for the from here on out to me is figuring out what the hell's wrong with Paul Skins and putting together a plan to make sure that if there is baseball in twenty twenty seven, that this guy can be. I mean, forget what he was in twenty twenty five or twenty twenty four, excuse or twenty twenty five, forget getting him back to cy young for him, You've just got to get him back to being an All Star, right, You've got to get him to look right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't need an era under two. I'll just take in the era right around three, you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah, just get him looking something like his old self. So all right, well, we're gonna take a quick break. We're going to play a few ads, and then when we come back, we will round out our show with our weekly segment, Jay Hay Now with our pal Josh Harrison here on Bucko Territory.
Speaker 4: Let's talk Fabletics, shall we. They have apparel for every season. We're wearing it as we talk about it. It's soft, it's comfortable, I wear it on the show sometimes on FT. What else do you love about it?
Speaker 5: Krats, Well, I have it on right now, and I'm all about quality. But you know what, you know how good your clothes are when you're a parent and your kids keep stealing all of it. My daughter stole the sweatshirt, my son sole one of my t shirts. So it's got to be nice looking.
Speaker 4: And if it gets a little bit chillier, then it's layering season and they've got layers for the fall. Shop now at fabletics dot com slash foul to get seventy to eighty percent off everything when you sign up as a new VIP. Take a quick style quiz, and be sure to select foul when prompted to unlock this offer. This is a limited timef first, so do not wait again. That's fabletics dot Com slash foul for seventy to eighty percent off everything as a new VIP.
Speaker 2: All right, and we're back here with Jay. Hey, no, it cannot be with us for this later segment. He's covering the Steelers Packers preseason game tonight. So Josh and I are coming to you after the Pirates game today. Pirates beat up on the Marlins thirteen to one, and they did it with some big help from Rafael Flores Junior. We got news before the game that Andy Rodriguez had to go on the injured list with some hip discomfort, and so Rafael Junior stepped up to be He's now basically the Pirates catcher or backup catcher, I should say, moving forward, and what a day for Rafael Flora's junior. Not only did he catch a complete game, which we're gonna discuss here in a little bit, but he also picked off his first run trying to steal, which was great to see, and then also just you know, casually throw in a couple homers for six RBI. His ops now is up to nine to twenty eight on the season. So I love seeing the pop and Rothy's bat here. But Jay, I just want to talk to you about how Flow had to step up. You know, we saw Andy go down. What does that mean for a team when you see a guy that you know the next man up and he instantly starts to succeed.
Speaker 6: Well, right away, we've talked, you know, just in general about next man up when injuries happen or you know, pretty much what they dealt with all year missing key guys, and you know when Andy goes down before the game, you know he's got to step right in. And you mentioned he called a complete game but threw in two home runs six RBIs as well, especially in a time where you know team is really struggling, and you know, every win right now, as we said, is going to be important. You want to win every series, even though they didn't win this one, but you still need to win games, and any given night, you want it to be you know, a collective effort or somebody different than today. Yes, I think they put it on them thirteen to one, but you know Flow had his his DNA, his fingerprints all over this one. And you know it's nice because as you mentioned, or as we've talked about the injury bug and you know, some unfortunate situations, you know, he stepped right in and made his presence felt. Not that he you know, was expecting to do this, but you know that's all you can really ask for is when you get an opportunity is to contribute, and today he contributed in a big way, both offensively and defensively.
Speaker 3: And in a.
Speaker 6: Time like this, you know they needed someone to step up, and I think they had a meeting yesterday, and uh, you know, it's always nice to come out of a meeting like like that, and you know, not saying that the meeting made them go score thirteen runs, but at the same time, you know, attention to detail, to say, hey, this is what we got in front of us, guys, let's go give it everything we got. And nobody really knows what we said behind those closed doors, but at the end of the day, you know, it must have resonated among some ears. And you know, I know a man flow was just waiting on an opportunity and he did a good job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh absolutely, And I loved that Don Kelly, you know, responded to another just backbreaking loss the way he did by you know, holding these guys accountable. I think the offense knows that it's been really, really bad lately, so having a breakout game where you score thirteen runs, hopefully that gets them going again. But we also saw, you know, on Jay Hey Day Saturday, they put up nine runs then, and I don't know if they scored nine runs the rest of the games up until today's game out here on Thursday. So nice to finally see the offense get going, especially having guys like Rafael Floor's junior or Jared Triolo, you know, contributing the back third of the lineup, just providing a bunch of spark, and so you'd love to see that, especially when it's been such a struggle. So they this team, this fan base needed this afternoon, Like the team account tweeted like the like resuscitated gift after it, Like I think everyone felt like, all right, we you just need to see the ball going the hoop here. Uh maybe this this sparks something, but who knows. We're gonna take a quick break here and we'll be turning back over here to Brax and Ashcraft, the guy who pitched a complete game to Rafael Flores Junior. On Deck is presented by Fox One. This weekend, the Pirates are taking on the Boston Red Sox Saturday on Fox Also streaming on Fox one gonna be seven fifteen in Pittsburgh. We have Jared Jones taking on good old Palce Sonny Gray, who's now with the Red Sox. Red Sox were one of the hottest teams in baseball, and all of a sudden they have cooled off pretty quickly. I think they've lost five in a row at the time of recording, after winning something like thirteen straight or something crazy. Just put together a really nice win streak, put themselves in serious playoff competition. There's you know, talk that they might be the al representative in the World Series possibly, So big big matchup here, big test for the Pirates. You want to defend PNC Park. Make sure that the season you know, isn't over quite yet. But Josh, I just want to get your thoughts. Did you ever bat against Sonny Gray?
Speaker 3: What did the.
Speaker 2: Pirates expect looking up against Sonny here?
Speaker 6: Yeah, face Sonny quite a bit when it is with Rids. Thing is the twins facing when he was in Oakland. Uh, he's a guy that's gonna you know, mix his pitchers. He's gonna throw, it's gonna throw strike sinker like a curve, which he'll kind of throw in any count to be honest. But he's a guy that is gonna be around his own but a guy that also knows how to pitch. Been around to a few different places. But but but definitely an interesting game. You know, you got Jones on the mound, You got him on the mound, and then you mentioned you know, Boston losing like maybe five straight, but I think at one point they had won twenty something.
Speaker 3: Of the games.
Speaker 6: Crazy the complete opposite of Pittsburgh at the time, and it's like, you know, maybe this is that we can where, Hey, do the tides turn?
Speaker 3: Where? All?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: Now Boston is doing this and is doing this? I mean, we don't know, but you know, as as we said in the previous segment, the win in Miami headed back to Pittsburgh causes for a big series because every one of these series are going to be very important. And I don't know how many guys on a pirates are familiar with you know, Sonny Gray from you know, playing them in years pass when he's with.
Speaker 3: The Red or the Cardinals or whatever.
Speaker 6: But you know, he's a guy that there should be some familiarity with with a few guys. And you know, if Jones throw the ball like you know he's capable of it, it could calls for an interesting game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'd love to see Jared just get a nice bounce back start. I always love watching Boston as a guy who loves watching defense. Their their outfield defense is fun to watch with guys like William bray U Sedane Ralph Ayela. So make sure you tune in on to Fox on Saturday night and also streaming on Fox one and will be on Fox is streaming on Fox one. The Race October starts now and we have your front row seat to the wildest walkoffs, lights out, pitching and clutch plays all season long. Follow every you can't miss matchup his team's battle for a spot in the postseason. Then stream the twenty twenty six World Series live on Fox one at home or on the go live around demand, never miss a moment. Stream now, start your Fox one three day free trial today at h T, T P S colon Backslash, backslash foxone dot com, that is foxone dot com.
Speaker 7: Okay, what do you say?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 6: All right, j hay now here. We are recording this in after the Thursday day game. And I think Jay Hayes now segment is none other than Braxton Ashcraft complete game one run. I think close to ten strikeouts. If not ten.
Speaker 3: One batter over the minimum.
Speaker 6: Then crazy one batter over the minimum.
Speaker 3: Pretty cool.
Speaker 6: I think they said first guy since avon Nova did it, and I think I was part of two with the pirates.
Speaker 3: Von Nova did in seventeen.
Speaker 6: I believe, and I want to say Jeff Carson's did it in twenty eleven or twenty twelve in Houston. Complete game one is something to be you know, excited about. But to do it and under one hundred pitches, under ninety.
Speaker 2: Pitches, yeah, that's steroids.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I was rolling the strike zone, punching tickets, coming at you. And the one run came in the ninth inning leadoff battery where it's like, hey, I'm coming at you. If you hit the fast play, you hit the fast Not that he was trying to give it up, but we keep saying it. It's been a lot of hot and cold right now the past couple of weeks, and that that was a pick me up that they needed after losing the first two second one, losing two to nothing, you know, needed a.
Speaker 3: Good pitching performance.
Speaker 6: You got a dominant pitcher performance, and you had a dominant offensive performance.
Speaker 3: So offense was good.
Speaker 6: But even if they scored you know, two runs, you know, Braxton went out and did his thing.
Speaker 3: And uh, kudos to Braxton.
Speaker 6: As I said, CG he went the maddic route less than a hundred pitches and strikeouts. That's impressive. Only face one over to minimum, so hats off to him.
Speaker 2: And yeah, the Pirates needed this performance so so badly. They needed someone to step up from this rotation and show that they can go deep into games and be that ace, be that stopper when this team is skidding. And you'd love to see that from your one of your all stars this year in Braxton Ashcraft, he'd been he hadn't looked as sharp in like the second half necessarily, and just I mean, this is the best game of his career easily. I not stretch to say that by any means. When you throw eighty five pitches in nine in means I almost said shut out, but nine basically shut out inans that that's just absurd. And also I just loved how the offense responded as well. You know this, that's the two aspects of this team where both the offense has been faltering and the starting rotation has not been going deep, just hasn't been efficient. Today was just a complete one eighty for this entire team, and I feel like Braxton gave them that confidence, you know, not allowing that early lead where you know, we give up a like a run or two in the first or second, you're like, oh man, this is gonna be a long night because the way this offense is going, that could that could decide it. So having him hang on until the offense could pick up a lead and just carry that throughout the game is just I absolutely love it. I loved the bulldog mentality where he was just challenging guys. I think, like, I forget who said it after the game. I think it might have been Triolo, but one of the players looked up and like looked at the pitch count in like the sixth or seventh inning for Ashcraft and thought it was a typo just because they're like that, that can't be right. He was just absolutely dealing. So man, when the players needed most, Braxton Ashcraft stepped up, this offense stepped up to support him as well, and doing it with a brand new catcher or yeah, has never caught for Ashcraft before and so obviously the nd injury, you know, through a wrench int to that Henry has been catching a ton. Uh So yeah, just Ashcraft just saying, hey, I don't care, I'll throw to anyone. I'll go out there and shove no matter who's catching. Throw throw a trash came out there. I'll throw into that if I need to. So I love that he stepped up so well, and hopefully they can carry this momentum from this this last game of the series. Yeah, they lost the series. Yeah things are still Great's another series lost.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 2: If there was one game to take you in to propel you into this home stretch against Boston, going up against the Dodgers and then you know San Diego as well, you needed I guess Detroit's in there before the Dodgers, but you needed this kind of confidence boost. You didn't get that with Schemes, you know, you didn't get that any other game this series. So at least there's one. At least it's the end of the series. So you're flying back to Pittsburgh, you know, bumping some music. Yeah, the vibes are gonna be a little good, even though you're leaving Miami.
Speaker 3: That's kind of that's.
Speaker 2: Gotta be a little tough, but but yeah, so I just I'm very happy with the way this afternoon's game went. Yeah, any final thoughts on Ashcraft here, No, you.
Speaker 3: Had pretty much hit it.
Speaker 6: I was gonna mention, you know, doing it with the new catcher, with Flora's but you know they were on the same page, and I mean kudos to that's that's not easy to do, catch a guy for the first time and go, you know, be complete game with them and go one over the minimum m that that was.
Speaker 3: That was a good job both to them, both of them.
Speaker 2: And if you're catching us for the first time here, I encourage you to go ahead and subscribe. We we're on a mission to get to three thousand followers or subscribers. Always appreciate it when you hit that love seeing, when you leave comments, when you like the video. All that stuff helps us out. Really appreciate it. What also helps us out is going and picking up stuff from the Bucko Territory Team Store Team Store. Scan that QR code on the screen now, there's also links in the description so you can go easily find that. But just appreciate you guys. Tune in for another episode, even if things are a little you know, up hot and cold going in and out here. It's kind of like Josh's light right now. But yeah, any final thoughts here before we conclude today's episode.
Speaker 6: Josh, No, I think we hit everything and as you said, hit that subscribe button.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and my little final thought, Josh, I don't know if you saw, but there's a bobblehead museum in the Marlin Stadium and they make sure to include one of the best bobbleheads ever, the J G Nome, which was they scrolled by all the Pirates ones on the broadcast last night and that one, that one was there. So you're in the Marlins Park down there. Yeah, so just have to make sure you caught that. So all right, Well I'm platinum Key. He's Josh Harrison aka j Hay signing out of another episode of Buck of Territory, presented to you by the Foul Territory Network. Take care