Speaker 1: We have. We have a pretty disturbing classic episode tonight. We were talking about this off air. Do you guys remember the Order of the Nine Angles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it kind of burned its way right into my memory. We were just talking off Mike about it. It's involves individuals claiming to be part of this satanic organization or actually part of it.
Speaker 3: But that's the problem.
Speaker 2: The lines are very, very blurry, and it involves everything from coerce to suicide to purported creation of like almost what you might call snuff material.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gets back to a lot of older movements. But then I remember then there a guy named Miyatt or something.
Speaker 1: Like that in this Yes, yeah, yeah, not Matt, but yeah Mayatt. Mayatt just some evil stuff, right, similar to later things we see in the Republic of Korea, right, and online crime course innocent people into self harm. We know that there are a lot of folks in the crowd who consider ourselves Satanists, but not theistic Satanists. Theistic Satanism is the idea that all the stuff you've read about heaven and hell and good and evil is real, and that you knowing that would choose to be on the side of evil. That is maybe the best beginning to the Order of Nine angles from UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn the stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeart Radios How Stuff Works.
Speaker 3: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is My name is Nolan.
Speaker 1: They call me Bed and we were joined as always with our super producer Paul Mission Control deck. And most importantly, you are you. You are here and that makes this stuff they don't want you to know. Quick check in is we want to do recently? How are you guys?
Speaker 3: Feeling feeling good? Did some traveling? Now I'm back. It's good to be with you, guys.
Speaker 2: Good to be with you, dude in the sacred space. That is stuff they don't want you to know.
Speaker 3: That's right. Hey, I got to know. None of you will ever hear it, but I got to be on an episode of Ridiculous History this weekend.
Speaker 1: That's right. That's right.
Speaker 2: And the reason that no one of us will ever hear is because we forgot to record it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we recorded a version of it, that's true while you were on Adventures, Matt.
Speaker 3: Well, there we go. See. It was just an ephemeral moment that occurred, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I hope you guys did too. Oh gosh, you saved the show. Okay, I don't accept your what you say, but it was it was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Well, let's paint a picture real quick. Matt was the voice of the super producer figure in the you know scenario like super much like super Producer Paul mission Control Deck, but he was super Producer Matt, the mad Man Frederick, and he decided it would be fun, and it ended up being very fun if he was off stage like the voice of God, like the man behind the curtain, and he chimed in with great quotes and did voices and sound effects and it was just a delight.
Speaker 3: Man. All I said were words written by mister Ben Bowlin.
Speaker 1: Oh a lot of those were quotations from Richard Warren Sears.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, then big ups, Richard.
Speaker 1: And you did some great re enactments, so we I hope you will be able to join us for a recorded episode of that show one day. You also, can we mention this on air? You were in New Orleans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I went to Crime Con and just hung out for a little bit, met a wonderful couple the last names white and Black. They were they were really awesome. And uh, I did some moderating of a panel. Yeah, yeah, it was. It was a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: We've been doing more and more of these paneled things recently. No, no, Paul, I know, I know that despite trying to cajole you into talking on the shows, it's not really your bag. So maybe for a check in with you, we can get a thumb up or a thumb down? Is this a thumbs up or thumbs down?
Speaker 3: Day?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a vigorous thumbs up.
Speaker 2: As a specific follow up question, Paul, I saw you at movies the other day going to see a film. Was that thumbs up or thumbs down? Film? Double thumbs up? You gotta remind me what it was called again, Diamentino. And it seemed like a really kind of interesting, twisty not sci fi, but kind of an interesting, absurdist, weird kind of ride. I'm looking forward to checking it out.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, here we are again, folks, and we hope that your check in with yourself has gone well. Feel free to tell us about it. If you discovered something especially strange. You can you don't have to wait. You can just pause the episode and call us now because we have a call in number.
Speaker 3: That's right, We're one eight three to three cd wy All.
Speaker 2: I was saying at once, make it more and.
Speaker 3: Less intelligible more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fun. People like rituals. Well, it feels like a ritual. It feels like we're summoning something when we say that.
Speaker 1: And here we are again, folks, conspiracy realists, long time and first time listeners, thank you for tuning in. We have spent several recent episodes diving into the true crime aspects of this show. Proven conspiracies, many horrifying or disquieting things that were acts of mundane human beings, just kind of crappy people who were self important and or had power and wanted more of it. That's kind of how this stuff goes often. But don't worry. We have never forgotten about the supernatural side of this show, the world of the occult, the world of the hidden, the esoteric, the unknown. Today we are delving into the controversial world of what is called theistic Satanism and the strange story of something called the Order of nine angles. Angles not angels. Well, what the heck is this thing? You might ask. The best way to answer this question is to begin laying down some groundwork first. So here are the facts. Most people are cartoonishly wrong about Satanism. It's just true, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you hear satanism, you probably think about some of the imagery that I myself have placed into videos about Satanism. Robed figures, bapphamets everywhere, horns of goats, yea, and certainly pentagrams, pentacles, all of those kinds of things. The chanting yes is definitely one and oh always almost always black, like just black clothing with some hints of red, or maybe all red with some hints of black, ahead of a certainly heads.
Speaker 1: Of goods, black goat with a thousand young.
Speaker 3: Yes, sacrifices both animal and human right right.
Speaker 1: The idea here is there's a secretive group of humans and maybe some not quite humans, opposed to the more publicly dominant narrative, ideology or religious movements of Christianity, Judaism, Islam. The people of the book right and the people who worshiped this monotheistic god who has in this entity's past had a conflict with an adversary sometimes called Lucifer more old scratch, the devil and Diablo. What are other good devil names, like the actual devil not demons? Yes, that's the one, yeah, and that the morning Star and the morning Star, right, God's number two, the light Bringer.
Speaker 3: That's a really good one.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it gets into that Promethean thing.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So the idea here is for most people they think of stereotypical Satan or devil worshipers, they're picturing people who accept this sort of supernatural or religious narrative, right, that there is a God and God had an adversary of some sort who is known by these names. This was once an angel, first among the angels, and then it fell in rebellion and it took its fellow mutineers with it. And now these people who worship this fallen angel seek to spread this message and to transform this the mundane world into something closer to his infernal vision. They also seem to usually informally refer to Satan as a dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, And it's almost it's interesting how it's seen as And we actually talked to David Ike briefly about this, how there are these two opposing forces a force of light and of darkness essentially, or corruption on the other side, like creation and corruption.
Speaker 1: Some kind of duality bounces around in a lot of things, right, Yeah, and gnosticism as well, in Star Wars movies, Star Wars movies, and some animistic beliefs.
Speaker 3: I don't really know where I'm going with I'm just to say like that that really is such an old vision of how the universe functions within these sects or within these groups.
Speaker 1: So how accurate are these images that pop up when we hear the word, you know, Satanism or Satan worshippers. Luckily for us, they are not very accurate at all. There are several well let's call them genres of Satanism, right, and there are multiple interpretations of things that could be called Satan in these genres, or there are people's interpretation of what this thing called Satan actually means or represents. And without getting too into the weeds on old Boys identity, we'd like to refer you to our earlier video episode. There's all about the origins of Satan in Near Eastern and Western ideology.
Speaker 3: Can we even have a show called Are there Real Satan Worshippers? Or something? Oh? We do.
Speaker 1: We do have that as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it dees into almost all the questions you might have like at the beginning of this.
Speaker 1: So we're skipping all of that. Yeah, So if you pause today's episode to call us and leave us a message telling us how you're doing, which, thank you by the way. If you did, feel free to posit again and watch those YouTube videos as long as you're not you know, driving or flying a plane or something like that. So let's assume you umposit it, and now you know all about the origins of satan and whether they're real Satan worshippers. As with any religion or religious movement, Satanism has numerous branches. It's more of a convenient umbrella term for some related beliefs rather than any specific dogma because they they have vastly different opinions. But they do have some commonalities, right they have They have a couple of things that they all generally agree on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, largely an interest in magic that can be played out in several ways, either like as some sort of psychodrama, which to me is a ritualized kind of performative kind of experience. Sure is that? Is there another way of looking at that well.
Speaker 1: It's uh, yeah, it's it's one in which the you know, we get catharsis, which is why people watch and participate in plays. So it's sort of an empowerment of Catharsis or a leveraging of that. So now the person who the person psychodramas everywhere, it's in Christianity, it's an innocuous version of psychodrama. Would be the re enactment of the birth of the Christ child, got it, which all the kids do in church. But in this stuff, they're like, I in this role, now am whatever.
Speaker 3: Deity I see.
Speaker 2: So really a performative ritual is kind of a good right. Or there's another kind of ritual which is maybe less performative. It would ascribe mystical events and much more of a magical power kind of to these acts, as opposed to the psychodrama, which to me maybe it implies that you're embodying it, but it's more a catharsist rather than some kind of like.
Speaker 1: Spell the first or the second little psychodrama. Psychodrama, Yeah, because the mystical event that would.
Speaker 3: Be that that is more of a spell.
Speaker 2: That is more of like saying I am doing this to create this effect, you know, in real time.
Speaker 1: And we can we can also explore an instance of that, but we would want people to know what's what's going on first. But yeah, so that's that's one thing, Yes, this interest in magic and the ritualized performance or inaction of magic. But that's not it, right, there's other stuff.
Speaker 2: There's also a sense of community, the creation of a community that defines roles and a hierarchy, a relationship between members somewhere between people who share a mystical pursuit to those who live according to a set of religious belief doctrine.
Speaker 3: And generally, when you're talking about a lot of this stuff and how they're forming their community, you're talking about people who really see this philosophy of a symbolic lucifer or satan, which is more about yourself, your own like the single member's nonconformity to society in almost every way or as many ways as are achievable.
Speaker 1: Right, philosophy thriving on They maybe instead of nonconformity, they might say something like the benefits of being true to oneself.
Speaker 3: Yes, And in that way, it's it's a lot of times about breaking your chains from a lot of societal's.
Speaker 1: Norms depending on the type of Satanists.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, right.
Speaker 1: Because you know, there can be conformity with there can be internal conformity strictly enforced in groups that are externally nonconforming, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a little.
Speaker 1: Bit of a securitiest way to put that point, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right. The more there's some that focus a lot on individual like the individuality, others on like the actual sect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and of course the last commonality not a big spoiler, some sort of reference to Satan, if not worship of a singular entity. And there there are many many Satanist groups, the best known of which are today are probably the Church of Satan Anton Leavey right, and the spin off of that the I almost called it the sequel of Set, the Temple of Set. It's sort of like how Golden Girls was a spinoff of Maud, but with Satan. That's a deep cut for Golden Girls fans. So the Church of Satan and the Temple of Set have this sort of low level hierarchical leadership and kind of a loosely agreed upon thing. We agree these following things and then do as they'll wilt. So I want to be very careful not to seem disrespectful of anyone's personal religious beliefs. If you were listening to this, odds are you are probably not in the Church of Satan, just because there are so many other religions with so many other adherents out there. But your personal beliefs are your own, as long as you're not inflicting them on anyone else, you know, or harming someone. It's our opinion that you can do what you want, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely agreed.
Speaker 1: So with that all in mind, here are some just a few different types of Satanism, right, there's one that I think you were you're probably alluding to directly. They're matt rational Satanism. It's secularized. It comes about in the nineteen sixties. It's atheistic, meaning that there's not really a God, there's not They calling it Satanism is sort of using Satan as a stand in for something else. This was under the direction of the famous Anton Levey, an author and occultist based in The States, who you can find audio and video recordings of his voice. Sounds far less sinister than one would initially, you know, assume.
Speaker 3: It really does, and I will never understand why he didn't begin going like exclusively by Xander Levy because his I mean having s Zander totally has a middle name that's powerful.
Speaker 2: I just thought he looked like Ming the Merciless from the Flash Gordon movie.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, hm, wow, he really does interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Well, Western society as a thing with bald or shaved head guys and goatee's.
Speaker 2: It's a very pointy goateee. It's a particular type of goatee. It's like that super angled kind of one.
Speaker 3: Yes and uh. And this this gentleman, I'm just gonna call him Xander. Yeah, go for it, man, or do as thou wilt see that. That's the whole of the law. He created the Satanic Bible. It still to this day remains available. You can find it. It's one of the most at least most available books that you can find about Satanism or the Satanic religion. And he formed this thing known as the Church of Satan that we've already mentioned. It is by far the most well known. It's the thing that is mentioned. Oh what's the what is that show? Oh gosh, why can't I think of it? It's on HBO it's a comedy about nerds. It's awesome, dead wood freaking No, what is it? What's it called, Paul, It's the Silicon.
Speaker 1: Valley, Jesus Silicon Valley.
Speaker 3: You'll see it mentioned or at least referenced heavily in Silicon Valley where there's a Satanist character who talks about Anthon Levey all the time. And again, as you said, it's it's all about atheism, it's about the individual essentially being empowered. And it really does have this nice symbolic mirror going on between you know, satan rebelling against God or whatever the large God is and then the Satanist rebelling against mainstream culture or mainstream religion.
Speaker 1: Right right, there is a nice symmetry to the structure of the philosophy. Right And it's exactly as you said. According to Levy, neither God nor Satan are actual beings, and this is heretical to many people who believe otherwise, even some Satanists or people who consider themselves such. The only God in this sort of Satanism is the person themselves, the individual. So Satan quote unquote, Satan is a symbol representing the qualities that Satanists embrace. So it's kind of like they took a character that they thought was cool and didn't think was real, like Superman or something, and they said, that's it. Those are the things you want to aspire to be. So invoking the name of Satan and other infernal names is a tool in the rituals to focus one's mind on the manifestation of those qualities and those workings.
Speaker 3: Tipping the hat to Alistair c of course.
Speaker 1: No, right, yeah, yeah, he's still in play.
Speaker 2: Have you guys seen Good Omens? Yeah, then you TV adaptation.
Speaker 1: I preferred it to the book. I found the book whimsical in a way that didn't really speak to me. But I know I'm gonna get some heat for that.
Speaker 2: I found that about the show. I couldn't make it through episode one. I thought it was a little too keatsy, and the CGI I really called too much attention to itself.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna give another shot, though.
Speaker 4: But Crowley is the name of the demon character, which is based on the self styled most evil or wicked man in the world, Alistair Crowley, famous famous sexual predator, heroin addict, and egomaniac.
Speaker 3: There you go, doing yeah to have it parties doing rituals in the middle of the Great Pyramid with his wife.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, that's that's true. I am being I am being a bit flippant about that because I think that guy gets more credit than he deserves. But but in some circles he is considered a pioneer.
Speaker 3: I've never done that.
Speaker 1: No, No, I would be surprised if you had. I don't know, it's just we can do an episode on that. Maybe I need to be more fair and come to terms with it. So the problem. The problem is that at certain points in Crowley's life, and this is a little bit of a soapbox for me, at certain points in Crowley's life he demonstrably functions more as a con artist than a true believer in someone's thing. Noh, if you're not. If you are a true believer in something and you're not hurting people, it doesn't matter what someone else believes about it, you know what I mean, it's your decision. But if you are an acting harm on people who you know I've not agreed to be in your shenanigans, or if you are pretending to believe something that you do not believe for the purpose of bilking the credulous. Then what are you? You're not You're not a leader of people. You're not you're not a holy being. You're You're the same as anybody playing a crooked game of three card Monti.
Speaker 2: And just for the record, Ming the Merciless and Out they look exactly the same. I just want to point that out.
Speaker 1: So Knowle's holding this. Yeah, I've got comics from The Merciless.
Speaker 2: Look that's them. That's that's Levey and Ming the Merciless.
Speaker 1: Right, they modeled it after after being but several other ones. Yeah, because there there are other characters that appear in Oh, what's that Flash Gordon comics? Do you guys remember Flash Gordon comics.
Speaker 2: That's who Ming the Merciless is from.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, but there's there's a predecess. Then maybe I'm thinking of someone else because I swear there's a predecessor. Maybe, so my Encyclopedia of super Villains.
Speaker 2: I'm just talking about the movie and the you know with the Queen soundtrack fresh Oh Master of a University.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's good stuff.
Speaker 1: So in comparison to or in contrast rather uh to the Church of say philosophy, there are theistic Satanists. These are what we think about, right, if we're the average person, we're thinking about what.
Speaker 3: A Satanist is.
Speaker 1: To members of this branch, Satan is not just some symbol, nor some clever useful metaphor. Instead, Satan is a genuine, actual entity.
Speaker 2: These are the ones that you could refer to as devil worshippers.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, yeah, they might worship associated demons as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Different groups of theistic Satanists may have differing interpretations about the nature of this being, but they all agree it's real. It's similar in a way to the processed Church of the Final Judgment. How they would have some Lucifers and then they would have some what are they Sets or Satanists, I can't remember, but they some worship this sort of light bringer Promethean aspect, and others worship this punishment and fascist aspect. So examples of this include things like the Temple of Set, the Golden Girls to the mad of Church of Satan, and then something called the Order of Nine Angles also known as o NA or nine A, and a lot of the and a lot of these sorts of self styled organizations just like scientology or just like federal government agencies. There's a huge emphasis placed on the on initialisms and acronyms.
Speaker 3: So let's talk about how they were founded. But let's do that after a quick word from our sponsor. All Right, we're back. Let's talk about the Order of the Nine Angles. So according to you know, one of the I guess the common story that you can see people within the Order of the Nine Angles, which are we We're gonna get into it later. It's a bit hard as an outsider to discern what is what, as we'll find later in the episode within the Order of the Nine Angles. But of the things that are publicly facing in the virtual world, the common story is that the organization itself was founded sometime in the nineteen sixties, and then as it continued along, it started to gain more and more attention, especially in the nineteen eighties, and a lot of it had to do with activism, specifically neo Nazi activism, which tied this group into its self described traditional Satanism.
Speaker 1: Right at times. The Order of the Nine Angles has been described as one of the world's most extremist and dangerous of Satanic groups, and it's known for its support of far right militant movements overwhelmingly racially or religiously motivated. Wece called it the most secret of Satanic groups as well, claiming that it advocates for animal sacrifice, human sacrifice, and reshaping the world entire to one's will. So what is the true story? Where does the order of nine angles come from? And how do the rumors stack up to the facts. Here's where it gets crazy. First version, according to their story, it's very much like you said, man. First version, it's established in the nineteen sixties by this shady lady who's usually called not an intentional rhyme, usually called lady Master, and she had previously, according to the story the tale they spend, been involved in a quote secretive pre Christian tradition that survived in the Welsh marches of Western England. So before the time or the rise of Christian ideology, there was this secret mystery religion and this person inherited the secrets passed down through ritual, through oral folklore, through rites and passages, unbeknownst to the greater world and the the nine to a or Ona believe that Satan is one of two a causual beings. A causual being something that is not dependent upon cause for it to exist, something that sort of prefigures the if then reality of human existence. These eternal beings are there are two of them, going back to thinking about duality, right, One is Bathomet, was female in their mind, and one is Satan, who is male in their mind. And then in nineteen seventy three, a guy calling himself Anton Long was initiated into this group, eventually attaining the title of Grand Master, and he really popularized the group with other groups because he was quite prolific. He was the Alexander Hamilton of his group. He wrote to wrote and wrote and wrote Man the Kid is NonStop, et cetera, other quotes from the Hamilton Broadway Show. Because of this, you'll hear a lot of people say that he was really the de facto founder. It suspected that the person was the original. They called her the Lady. Master eventually had a child with the person calling themselves Anton Long and relocated to Australia, at which point Long began running the show There you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'll you'll find you'll find different versions of it. One in this website called a cult study dot Org talks about how it was Anton Long who actually, and again this is probably likely from whoever is calling themselves, like you said, Ben anton Long, from the own his own writings essentially where he brought together three different groups, essentially three different secret orders. What is it Nocturllian's the Temple of the Sun and the Kamlad tradition, that this guy brought them all together and created this thing called O nine A. And again you'll find very versions of it throughout the internet.
Speaker 1: Right. They expanded on the order's concepts and their ideas in all these publications which we'll get into, and they tied it into some oh what should we call it, some contemporary politics of their time. There in nineteen eighty eight they made their journal fin Rear, which was another was another sort of rung in the ladder of walking up to public prominence, which is what they always wanted. With each publication, this group sought to establish links with other neo Nazi Satanist groups, which are totally a thing, and there are more than you might imagine. And by that I mean not just not just people who are being profiled because they're fans of metal, but yeah, people honestly do consider themselves Satanists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and this is where we get into the full society some of the strange occult beliefs and actions of portions of the Nazi Party, or at least some of the upper echelon of the Nazi Party.
Speaker 1: I'm really glad that you mentioned that, because the Order at times has preferred to describe its ideology as Nazi occult. And it's strange the way these things become ephemeral. Right, the names can be worn and discarded like old jackets, yeah.
Speaker 3: Or reused and reshaped, and now it means something completely.
Speaker 1: Different, redefined, right, yeah, like you know that. I mean, that's also just a human thing, that's just a mundane thing. There is some magical power and names for people who are adherents of those belief systems. But take the term neoliberal versus liberal. Liberal means something very different in an international sphere than it does here. And the leading conservative party in Australia, for instance, Australia just had an election as we're recording this. The leading conservative party is the Liberal Party.
Speaker 3: Believe there you go.
Speaker 1: I don't know names, what are they? Maybe they are all old jackets.
Speaker 2: So the Order prefers to describe itself it's ideology rather as Nazi occult. So that's promoting a supernatural system of thought that condemns liberal Judeo Christian society and longs for a new imperial age created by a sub Nietzschean superman figure called the Index. And that is not Windex pronounced with a German accent. It's the Index, the v that's right.
Speaker 1: They that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here it is, and they anton long to do that.
Speaker 1: Right, and ultimately the idea is to expand to the stars and to bring this ideology outside of the terrestrial sphere.
Speaker 3: Woo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's it's an ambitious belief system.
Speaker 3: It sounds like they want to be stormtroopers, you know what I mean, like full on the whatever the New Order is in the new Star Wars systems. It feels like that to me.
Speaker 1: And they also did some really disturbing stuff the way it's tied up in this kind of love of fascism and this again I don't know how sincere it is, this worship of characters like Adolf Hitler. So that's the first version. The second version's a little different, and it dives into more mundane matters according to observers and commentators, and you'll find a surprising amount of literature on this. There is no real Anton Long. This is a pseudonym used by a British former Neo Nazi named David Mayat. I think it's Mayat M. Yatt who either used this organization to further his own ends or created an elaborate hoax out of whole cloth. Yeah. He's known in Britain for being a hardline national socialist or neo Nazi, advocating national socialism as well as violence. In the past, he's been implicated in physical beatings of people. And usually when these sorts of characters are implicated in violence, they attack in packs, you know what I mean. So like a group of people jumping a single person the nine to a grab national attention and the global war on terror when the organization was second or even third hand associated with series of murders.
Speaker 3: So then this order wanted to you know, move up, get some more things like not really infiltrate, just bring in other groups to grow their own ranks, right, So they attempted to infiltrate some of these non Satanic Nazi groups or neo Nazi movements such as there's one specifically just mentioned in several publications called the Waffen Division, which is often ATAM whatever it is Atom Waffen, and it's a US based organization. And this group, at least its affiliates killed five people in twenty seventeen and twenty eighteen. So this is recent. This is very recent, and it is a real group. It's just sounds it sounds odd.
Speaker 2: So from the law enforcement side of things, the all this esoterica and a cult ritual doesn't really matter anymore than say, like a gang initiation or some kind of really heavy hazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, exactly, because they're not going to It's useful in that it can identify members of an organization, but to then, you know, imagine, if your job is to stop organized crime and gang killings, you want to learn about these groups so that you can to some degree predict and prevent, predict their behavior and prevent further criminal acts. But you're not you know, odds are if you're if you're in the FBI or something, You're not going to stay up at night worrying that these people may curse you. You're more concerned about whether they have access to firearms and explosives. It's a you know, it's it's kind of a more grounded or mundane look at this. However, do you have to stay on a side note. I did find two Freedom of Information Act request to the FBI about this order of nine angles, and in both cases the FBI responded by saying that they searched and they didn't have anything there you go, So maybe they're not a big deal. I don't know. Mayat, for his own his own right, has also, in addition to nine things like the Holocaust, denied that he ever went by the name Anton Long. He also went through iterations where he practiced as a Buddhist monk, and then he embraced radical Islam, praising al Kahi and attempting to unite Nazis and Islamic terrorists.
Speaker 3: That's nightmare material.
Speaker 1: That's an odd couple, isn't it. Yeah, it seems strange, right, But so so we already see in the origins of this thing there is a bit of duplicity. The question is whether it's purposeful or whether it's just kind of bungling, you know what I mean? How much of this is meant to be taken seriously? How much of it is meant to be believed? I think we mentioned a little bit about their process, and you mentioned vendex. What about the the rest of their beliefs? What's their plan?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they believe that civilization has to be destroyed from within, completely undermined and disassembled, dismantled. So the adherents are actually encouraged to be pretty awful people, like, as you know, part of their whole prescribed course of making this happen. So that includes things like committing crimes, random acts of violence, actual assaults, and even this whole like genocide kind of idea, calling human victims.
Speaker 1: They also embrace magic. They do share that same commonality that we had mentioned at the.
Speaker 3: Top, right.
Speaker 1: But when we talk about their magic, what are we talking about? I guess that's part of why they're called the Order of the Nine Angles.
Speaker 3: All right, you ready for this? I got this from nine a dot org and it's just a post there, and it's talking about what the nine angles actually represent. So it says, quote, their nine angles refer to the nine combinations of the three basic alchemical substances mercury, sulfur, salt. And these nine angles slash combinations were first outlined in this text. It's from nineteen seventy four. It's called emanations of Urania, Urania, Urania who knows, And these nine combinations can be used to symbolize how the causal and a causal are manifest to us, as for instance, in our psyche the nexion of causal, a causal that we are via archetypes, personality types. And it just goes on with stuff that I honestly am struggling to understand.
Speaker 1: And a lot of this, a lot of writing in this sphere, whether it's howking left hand path or right hand path, stuff does tend to be a little bit obtuse. They also practice something that they call the sevenfold Way. So the sevenfold Way is a series of steps meant to make someone a practical master of all forms of sorcery physically mentally fit in this way is divided into these seven stages. The stages are neophyte, initiate, external adept, internal adept, master of temple or mistress of earth, a grand master or grand mistress, and of course immortal. Sometimes initiates are described or called novices, and adepts are called priests or priestess. It goes on mais majastrap.
Speaker 3: It's also known as heb hebdomedry Hm. Is that our word for today, matt Hebdomedry? Well, the sevenfold way? How does it? How's it spelled? H G B d O m A d r y all right? Uh?
Speaker 1: Someone used that in a sentence and call us.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: So it's strange when we look at this, because what what we're seeing quickly becomes a rabbit hole of accult philosophy and working again tied in very much like the Thule Society or Tule Society.
Speaker 3: To these.
Speaker 1: To these race based beliefs. Uh. And what what we pointed out, however, should already be pretty disturbing. The purpose here for the members of this society, by their own statements, are to destroy what we know of as civilization and up to and including human sacrifice, which they do talk about at length, and which differentiates them from a lot of other Satanic groups. Let's let's pause for a moment for a word from our sponsors, and then, assuming that we have not been killed via magical means, let's explore a little bit more about their work.
Speaker 3: We made it. We're still here. Yes, no one has gotten us by magical, psychic or more traditional means. So that's good.
Speaker 1: Let's check on Paul.
Speaker 3: Yep, Oh, he's there. He's intact, all right, good.
Speaker 1: I don't know when his eyes turned all black.
Speaker 2: But you know it's it's it's it's just called the Monday.
Speaker 1: It's a Monday, a cosmetic thing. Yeah, yeah, these kids these days, so they're not this group. The Order of Nine Angles is not known for subtlety, especially so they have a book called The Black Book of Satan, comes in three volumes. These are considered so extreme that they're kept in a special section of the British Library. They're not available to the general public. You have to ask for the metacounter research purposes kind of thing. That's because these books repeatedly talk about the idea of calling committee acts of violence and destabilization up to an including terrorism and with active culling. What's fascinating is one of the steps that they're told to do is to groom someone to voluntarily submit to being sacrificed. That's the ultimate, the ultimate coup there. And they also have an interesting work study program for lack of a better term, that they send their members on Would.
Speaker 2: You believe I had looked up The Black Book of Satan on Amazon and there is one paperback available used for eight hundred and sixty four dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would believe that. I guess they're hard to get a hold of.
Speaker 1: That happens with a lot of occult books. Yeah, I mean it maybe's too that someone has someone is either like bilking someone or they have multiple copies and they're just putting them out one at a time. I saw that before, you know, I wonder if anybody does have a copy of the Black Book of Satan.
Speaker 2: I found a free download pdf on a cultboards dot com.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it's the real deal.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Hah, yeah, right, getting a PDF of the Black Book of Satan. I laugh at the that's fair. So let's get into what is required of ONA members who were going along that sevenfold path trying to get into one of the noxioms or whatever they're called.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that work study, I was mentioning.
Speaker 3: Exactly one of these, one of these cells essentially, so they they want people to spend six months either just traveling like hitchhiking the way you would a traditional traveler along that path, working as either a burglar, maybe working even as a police officer, or infiltrating some version of an extremist political group where you're just kind of roaming and in working inside one of these other organizations.
Speaker 1: Two things that connect with this. This is very inspiring for any of us horror writers in the audience. There used to be a television show maybe in the nineties early two thousands that was sort of this scary anthology show called The Hitchhiker. Yeah, remember that and the Hitchhiker. The frame was that someone picks up the hitch hiker and terrible stuff happens, which was gold. But it makes me, it makes me see how appealing this could be to people who are fearmongers in the nineteen eighties nineteen nineties satanic panic scare here in the United States. Could say Satanists are all around you. They're low level criminals, they're hitchhikers, they're living off the grid. You know, they're going to rainbow gatherings or you know, they're hopping trains. They're avoiding the spotlight of mainstream America. And with the fact that you know that seems like that seems like just some something people would say to us sell headlines right or get people to tune into sixty minutes or something. But here we have a real group saying yes, go do this for six months.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Especially what baffles me is thinking that, at least on this list where it was mentioned saying a police officer would be a good route for this. And I guess it's because you're you're essentially practicing power over others. I guess there are reasons that a police officer would be I think on that list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in in one passage they said, do something that is far outside your previous life experience, but working and law enforcement will give you Liam Neeson esque certain set of skills. There you go, you know, for physical altercation, tactical thinking.
Speaker 3: Well that yeah, and that's something we kind of talked about before in this when we're mentioning that sevenfold path that you go down to join this group. It is about the psychological, it's about the empowering that, it's about empowering you psychically, it's about empowering you physically and all these things. So I guess a police officer would be a really good way to get there.
Speaker 1: And from their literature, this has a this is weird. I want to say, you guys think of this. So from their literature they attempt to quote, undertake the role of extreme political activists and so champion heretical views by e g. Becoming involved in extreme right wing activism. They demand this. In one of their introductory books, they say, quote the aim is to express fanaticism and act x and be seen by all right thinking people as extremists and dangerous. So they want to be the people who are I don't know, it feels to me like they're talking about edginess for the sake of edginess. You know, like they're gonna bust into an alt right meeting and someone's gonna say, well, you know, I just I just don't think we should. They're gonna bust into a tea party meeting. Maybe let's make it even more innocuous, and then they'll say I don't think we should pay taxes and they're like, yeah, additionally we should burn all the money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and everybody's like, oh, those guys are dangerous.
Speaker 1: So so they've they've kind of got this idea of again very very motivated by racism. They've kind of got this idea similar to Joker in the Dark Night, where they the heath Ledger Joker the good One, where they want to just so chaos indiscriminately. But unlike the Joker, who it was a fictional character and exists only to spread chaos for the sake of chaos itself, this group seeks to spread chaos to make it easier to propagate their twisted world and cosmic view. So we see that's strange, tragically not necessarily alien marriage of ideology. Here, the Nazis and the so called Satanists uniteen to pursue goals that are at least non mutually exclusive.
Speaker 2: So for the nine to a fascism is actually seen as a means to an end rather than an end in and of itself, particularly this idea of a sinister dialect that's the key to the aonic evolution of human civilization into a higher form. But the Meijian Nazarene distortion, also known as the Christians and the Jews, is holding back Western civilization, according to this doctrine, from reaching its final all step, some sort of evolutionary step, and must be overthrown if humanity is to advance.
Speaker 5: So holy war or unholy war, absolutely, yeah, And the vision here goes to that thing that you mentioned earlier, been that y index, yes.
Speaker 1: Right, being led by index deep into the cosmos where where we mentioned though, establish a galactic reich to champion and make known our unique human destiny of galactic exploration and the colonization of outer space. This is from the Drekkian Way d R E C C I A. And we're not recommending that you check out these books. We're just letting you know that these are These are the the tenets, the goals, and the aims as self described by this by this uh organization.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and they really do want to you know, it's this concept at least of creating a sinister world. But here's the thing. In order to have the world be sinister, you got to make the people that are living in that world or controlling and running that world sinister. So they think this can happen through what they call the practice of genuine modern heresies. I like that. I don't mean to poke fun at it, but genuine modern heresies. And this is you know, again taking yourself, the individual person through all of these mental and physical trials that you know, well, you're going through mental and physical trials and at the same time you're also practicing magic with a k so ritualizations things you're you're basically, I don't know, you're you're honing yourself on all possible fronts to become evil. I guess in a way, or maybe not, the word evil is correct here, but to do the things that the group wants to do. Well, here's a question.
Speaker 2: Do you think people that are adherent to this kind of belief system do they see themselves as evil?
Speaker 1: That's interesting in some In some cases there would be people associating with this because they want to they want to be seen as evil.
Speaker 2: But don't they just think that the path of satan is the better path?
Speaker 1: Many probably do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'm just wondering if if good and evil even enters into it at this point when when it comes to your thinking behind getting behind something like this.
Speaker 3: I guess that's why I was hesitant to use the term. I guess I'm what I mean is adversarial to the status quo and or the the ways in which society are set up, in the institutions that hold that society up.
Speaker 2: I'm just getting all big picture about it in my head, and it's just interesting to think about the nature of good and evil and this. Does true evil really see itself that way? Or do they just believe that they're actually doing what's best.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting question because in many cases, yeah, in many cases, all great villains are the heroes of their own stories. Right, then say I'm doing terrible things, but I'm doing it for a greater reason, right and there you know, people have to die, but the world will be better, et cetera, et cetera. The thing that's interesting about some theistic satanism and why it can be so attractive to people who are already involved in something that puts the bulk of its emphasis on violence in the short term is that there's not too much of a leap to go to something else like this. And one thing that's interesting about the question about regarding seeing oneself as good or evil is that you can get a little bit of a sense, not a reliable, not a one hundred percent reliable sense. You can get a little bit of a sense of how someone sees themselves by what emphasis they place on things. Do they place the emphasis on their ultimate end goal? Vision? Is that like seventy percent of this, you know, like most many religions spend seventy percent or so of their time talking about how to be a decent person now, right, or do they spend the majority of their time talking about the violet things they will do to get a vaguely explained thing in the past, right or sorry, in the future. Yes, yes, yeah, I mean that's to me. It's tough because it probably varies case by case. But I'm sure in Satanism there are a few people who think I am evil, I embrace it, I'm the son of the beasts or whatever, and they probably really believe it. Maybe they're misled.
Speaker 2: You know, whatever does it for you is what I say. Like we're talking about the beginning of the show. If you can use religion and maybe not ritualistically murder people, but if this does it for you, you know, being evil or the idea of being evil, and you're not gonna, you know, call an entire population, then I say, more power to you. But unfortunately, this particular idea involved a lot of these random acts of murder and rape and violence, stuff doing unto the innocent. So can't get behind the can't get behind the O nine A here, guys, I'm sorry, I cannot throw my endorsement at this order.
Speaker 1: Which is weird because it was your pitch, I know, sure, and I think it was interesting because I had never heard of this, and this leads us to maybe one of our bigger questions which we always have to ask with these sorts of groups. Is it a case of Satan's military, a Satanic army, or is it a case more of internet bravery? You know? Like the Order has been referred to as Satan's military, but it seems more accurate to say that the Order or the people who claim to be involved with it, because we can't verify a whole bunch of people, seems accurate to say that they are maybe militant in attitude more than organized and violent in person, because the crimes that can be reasonably traced to nine A affiliates and partner organizations seem to be crimes that were sort of egged on by the group, but not enacted by the group directly. And the nine A was also once dismissed by other occultists as the Order of no members because this one guy, David Mayat and I think another guy named Malt appeared to be the only visible figures within the organization. So how much of it is just them writing prolifically under different names, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: The pseudonym aspect I can see at work here. But again, we did point this out already a little bit. But we have noticed, and it's been documented that their growth, this nine A growth, has been right alongside other like I guess what we would call right wing extremist.
Speaker 1: Groups, sure, yeah, yeah, supremacist organizations would be a big one. Neo Nazi organizations. And this has led to a couple of really strange conspiratorial thoughts, one being there was actually some infighting between members of white supreme see groups and members of this nine A thing, because there were people saying, look, guys, I'm just here because I'm a white supremacist. I don't like all this weird hocus pocus stuff. I'm we've lost, We've lost our way out of the game. And everyone's like, oh, well, that guy doesn't get it. And then someone else said, you know, I feel like I also fought more on the supremacy now side, and like the magic stuff's cool. Like, don't get me wrong, dude, I love metal or whatever. I'm not I'm not knocking metal. I am knocking racist, but I'm not knocking metal.
Speaker 3: It does make me feel a little bit sad for the people who joined up because they were all about that magic and all about the that stuff, and they realized, oh, this is a separatist group.
Speaker 1: Yeah right. There are other people who said, I thought we were just doing rituals.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm down for our infernal Lord and Master, but I feel like our Infernal Lord and Master should be an equal opportunity employer.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, we're making a little bit of light of this, but it's a dangerous thing when we see this connection of ideologies and these people are conspiring in secret. We don't know. We don't know how much of it is just bluff and bluster on the nine A part. We don't know how much of it, even to some degree, is taken seriously by all the people. Is it an elaborate hoax. There's a lot of writing out there, but again it's not as if there is a center that you can visit. You know, there's not a power structure that is readily apparent to a lot of people, and perhaps that's they've just kept it internal. We do know that at this point the organization is still considered to be out there, but the views it espouses have have mainly caught the attention of law enforcement and governments because of the actions of its affiliates white supremacist hard right wing terror groups terrorist groups. At a two thousand and three UNESCO conference in Paris concerning the growth of anti Semitism in Europe and abroad, they stated, David Mayat, the leading hardline Nazi intellectual in Britain since the sixties, who maybe what is it Anton Long has converted to Islam. This was true at the time. He praised Bin Laden and al Qaeda. He called the nine to eleven tax and active heroism. He urged for the killing of all like all Jewish people, and he also he used another name, Abdullah ziz Ibin Mayat, he supported suicide missions. He has one of the most thorough English language defenses of that. He urged young Muslims to take up violent jihad, which is not Any actual Muslim will tell you that the kind of thing he's calling jihad is not jihad. Observers warned that he's a dangerous man. But since two thousen he claims to have changed. He says, I've rejected Islam. My extremists passed, and guys, it's all about loving each other. Yeah, that's what he says now, but the extremism seems to carry on. The question now is whether it's legitimate, whether the people who claim to believe it online actually practice it in person or some have proposed is the entire thing a hoax? Is it a government front to monitor right wing groups? Let us know what you think.
Speaker 3: That's the most promising for me, or the most silver lining answer for me. It's a front group of some sort that's trying to stop some of these other organizations.
Speaker 1: But people still got killed, so they must not be doing that great of a job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, you're probably right.
Speaker 1: And that's our classic episode for this evening. We can't wait to hear your thoughts.
Speaker 3: It's right.
Speaker 2: Let us know what you think. You can reach to the Hammle Conspiracy Stuff where we exist on Facebook x and YouTube, on Instagram and TikTok work Conspiracy Stuff Show.
Speaker 3: If you want to call us dial one eight three three STDWYTK. That's our voicemail system. You've got three minutes. Give yourself a cool nickname and let us know if we can use your name and message on the air. If you got more to say than can fit in that voicemail why not instead send us a good old fashioned email.
Speaker 1: We are the entities to read every single piece of correspondence we receive. Be aware, yet not afraid. Sometimes the void writes back conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 3: Stuff they don't want you to know. Is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.