Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Sound On podcast. Catch us live weekdays at one Eastern.
Speaker 2: On Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, and the Bloomberg Business app, or listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: The Republican candidates for president finally turn their fire on Donald Trump. Welcome to the fastest show in politics, as the race for second reaches a new level just a day after Republicans were thumped in state elections. We're going to talk through it with Larry Sabado, of course, at the University of Virginia Center for Politics, the namesake of Sabadeo's Crystal Ball. With eight days now to a government shutdown and no plan in place to avoid one, we'll talk about all of this with our signature panel. Bloomberg Politics contributors Rick Davis and Jeanie Schanzano are with us for the hour. Welcome to the Thursday edition of Bloomberg Sound On Little Friday. I'm Joe Matthew in Washington, Folks, A bit bleary eyed here at lunch today after a late night watching the We'll get to the shutdown politics of course this hour, but it was only the third round here, and following the elections that we saw this week in Ohio, in Virginia, in Kentucky, we were paying extra close attention to the Republican debate last evening in Miami. The big question, of course, who won, But you know it's more nuanced than that, as we'll discuss with Larry Sabadeo in just a moment. Ron DeSantis though at center stage, and the others. Of course, you knew about Chris Christy already coming out swinging in many cases against the former president, and based on some of the recent polling data we've seen, maybe it's no wonder why here's the governor of Florida.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump's a lot different guy than he was in twenty sixteen. He owes it to you to be on this stage and explain why he should get another chance. He should explain why he didn't have Mexico pay for the border wall. He should explain why he racked up so much debt. He should explain why he didn't drain the swamp. And he said Republicans were going to get tired of winning. What we saw last night, I'm sick of Republicans losing.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't seem to matter. At least when you look at presidential polls, whether they be national or Frankly, in the Swing States, donald Trump has a thirty some point lead over Ron DeSantis and the rest of the field. This is where we begin with Larry Sabado, the director of the University of Virginia Center for Politics, with us here on this day after what else could we ask for? Larry, It's great to have you back on Bloomberg. I won't ask you who won last night, but I'll start by asking you about Donald Trump, the guy who was not in the room. Has this been a winning strategy to keep boycotting these debates?
Speaker 5: Well, as you'd ask me who won, of course I would have said Donald Trump, he's won all the debates because he hasn't been there. If in fact, he ends up to be the nominee. Right now, everybody thinks that he will if he does. The smartest decision he would have made, other than the decisions that led to the various trials, but the smartest decision that he has made is not participating in the debate. All he would have done would have been to elevate these challengers. They would have had him right there. Inevitably they would have gotten him deeply angry and going Craig Cray and screaming, and he would have It would have been the Donald Trump that would not have sold even in this particular year or next year. But he's not there, and so they're shadow boxing. And I don't want to demean them, because actually I think four of the five are quite good and would make if you're going to have a Republican president. They would make a decent president. I know they would basically obey the Constitution, that'd be my guess. But they don't have that ability because or they're not going to have that ability in all probability because Donald Trump isn't there, and they are the kid's table, as everyone is said, they're the kid's table at Thanksgiving. It's not fair, it's not right. They deserve better, but that's the way.
Speaker 3: It is, the way it is. And the moderators have their own approach here, and I know I'm not here to analyze or criticize the moderators, but there were a lot of questions Larry about why the issue of abortion was relegated to the back thirty minutes of a two hour debate. It took them ninety minutes to get to the issue that really seemed to dominate the elections. The night before, a lot of folks in advance were looking specifically at Nicky Haley to see if she could make some headway on this issue. And here's how she put it last night.
Speaker 6: As much as on pro life, I don't judge anyone for being pro choice, and I don't want them to judge.
Speaker 3: Me for being pro life.
Speaker 6: So when we're looking at this, there are some states that are going more on the pro life side. I welcome that there's some states that are going more on the pro choice side. I wish that wasn't the case, but the people decided. But when it comes to the law, which is what's being debated here, be honest, it's going to take sixty Senate votes, a majority of the House, and a president to sign it.
Speaker 3: A reality check and another outreach to those who may not agree with her on this, Larry was that the winning message for Republicans on that singular issue of abortion.
Speaker 5: Well, it's a better message than the ones they've been using for the most part, because it's not selling. You know, after a while, as the old saying goes, if you spend a fortune on the dog food, and the label looks great and the dogs never eat it. It's probably because the dog food isn't very good, and the dogs are the ones that get to determine what the masters buy. So her answer was perfectly reasonable from a political sense. And by the way, she's absolutely right if you don't get sixty votes in the Senate. This is all just kabuki theater. It's just play acting, and that's what politicians do a lot. But I agree with you, we didn't get to some of the substance of questions until later. And I also think they should have asked a lot more about Donald Trump. They could have gotten into the particulars and let them react to it. But you know, as you say, it's easy to criticize moderators. I've done debates myself and it's horrible. I have nothing but sympathy for the moderators.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not a fun job. You mentioned four of five. I think I know that fifth. You're referring to the veck. Ramaswami had a lot of one line. Did I mention, Well, I'm just gonna let you disagree with me. I will just move ahead with the strategy from the VIK Ramaswami to criticize the RNC chair, call for her resignation on the stage, ask for replacement moderators, all before answering a question, what did you make of the approach?
Speaker 5: He was trying to attract attention, and he was trying to be the Donald Trump, the new Donald Trump of this election. Michael ain't ever going to happen. And he was so extreme that he was in orbit and I think it was more orbiting Mars than it was Earth. I think he hurt himself with anybody who isn't in that little niche that he appeals to, and it is a small niche. I mean, he's at six seven percent in most of the polls, and polls can change, but you're not going to go from six to seven percent to a large plurality and win the nomination.
Speaker 3: Larry Sabada with us. Before I let you go, Larry, I want to bring people back to the tweet of yesterday, clearance Sale. This is in the wake of a very difficult night for Republicans in Virginia, specifically Glenn Youngkin, who was even said to be basing presidential aspirations on the outcome of these elections. You wrote clearance sale all young and for President twenty four merchandise A free my pillow comes with all purchases over a dollar, no returns. Larry, we got another rough headline shortly after you made that tweet. The FBI headquarters is going to Greenbelt, Maryland, not Virginia as he was hoping. Is this the worst week of his political career so far?
Speaker 5: Well, it's been a very short political career, but yes, it has been the first week he's had. I understand that objections are being very severe, objections implying corruption. And I think the Washington Post is breaking a story on as maybe already has done so, but will will shortly, so people might want to pay attention. I don't think that Maryland is going to get it quite as easily as they thought, and this might cause a reconsideration, so pay attention.
Speaker 3: Wow, you just heard it straight from Larry Sabada. Great to have you back, Larry from the University of Virginia Center for Politics. Jerry Conley, the congressman from Virginia, tweets lacking even the basic courtesy of a heads up. GSA has reportedly decided on a Maryland site for the new FBI headquarters. If this is sounds strange to you, this has been going on for a very long time, as the existing FBI headquarters, sitting a few blocks away from where I am now on Pennsylvania Avenue, literally crumbles into dust. And this has been a long running dispute that came down to two Maryland Virginia. There was even a basketball match I believe set up there threatened between Glenn Youngkin and Wes Moore. Let's assemble our panel for their take on the debate. Rick Davis and Genie Shanzano are with us Bloomberg Politics contributors. I won't pull you into the FBI headquarters debate quite yet, but I'm deeply curious to know. Of course, we were watching, so you didn't have to. All right, Rick, what do you think on this one? Donald Trump doesn't show up. We know they got a few million to watch these debates, it's at least the first few of them. But it doesn't have that mainstream impact without his presence, does it.
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think Larry Sabadeau is right. Won't be the first time I've agreed with him that Donald Trump's the big winner of these debates. Obviously, there's been some uplift for Nikki Hayley, and the two previous debates put her back on track as a campaign doing well in Iowa, New Hampshire, you know, really significant movement in New Hampshire, and you pretty much have to assume it's both her performance on the stump and her performance on the debates. So it's had some positive impact. But you know, you don't see anybody using the platform millions of people watching. You can parse how many, but it's a platform where you can communicate to a lot of Republicans who probably are the only ones who watch these debates, you know, to contrast with Trump. And as Larry said, I mean, other than getting asked the first question, I look that how much time was spent on each issue, and time spent on Donald Trump was less than time spent talking about Venezuela. Now, I don't know about you, but I don't think Venezuela is a big issue in this campaign, but for sure Donald Trump is. So again, I think we just these guys are just missing opportunities to get in this game.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you what. Certainly, Ronda Santis and Nicki Haley were being scrutinized last evening they both showed up Genie to the fight. The vike Ramaswami had his own strategy, it seemed. I wonder, if you think anybody moved the needle, will Ronda Santis be at center stage? Nicki Haley at his side when we do another one of these.
Speaker 8: That's the way it should be. You know, clearly, if anybody has got a shot for second place, it is those two. The other three really don't have a shot. And so you know, one thing that made this debate better for those of us who watched it was there were fewer people on the stage. They all got more time. I have to tell you, I was really of two minds on this. On the one hand, it was really really depressing because it was a substantive debate and yet not one of these people is polling in any way that can best Donald Trump. And so you know it is depressing because then you think about it. Donald Trump was eleven miles outside of Miami talking about his love for Hannibal Lecter. It was very bizarre, and he has the shot of being president and these four and I had two am going to accept vivig Ramaswami are really people who have a lot to say on critical issues. It was a substantive debate. I think DeSantis and Haley performed very well. I give the moderator's credit. It was well done. And yet what was the size of the audience? And do any of these people have a shot if Donald Trump is this juggernaut? So it is a bit depressing to think of it that way. And the only person who'd be in the cabinet is the vike Ramaswami. And I'm not even going to get started because that was a whole mess right up there with vike Ramaswami last night.
Speaker 3: Well, as I mentioned, he came with a peculiar strategy to attack the host of the party, essentially in our NC chair RONA McDaniel. Here he is speak the truth.
Speaker 9: I mean, since Ronald McDaniel took over as chairwoman of the RNC in twenty seventeen, we have lost twenty eighteen, twenty twenty, twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Two, no red wave that never came.
Speaker 9: We got trounced last night in twenty twenty three. And I think that we have to have accountability in our party for that matter.
Speaker 3: Ro On, if you want to come.
Speaker 9: On stage tonight, you want to look the GOP voters in the eye and tell them you resign. I will turn over my yield, my time to you.
Speaker 3: That never did end up happening, Rick, But in our last moment, I don't know if you've caught these two off the side of the stage later, but they were having a very intense conversation. Did he just talk himself right out of the Republican.
Speaker 7: I think he's been talking himself right out of the Republican race. I mean, when you start at zero and you know you're able to make yourself to a few single digits, your message isn't connecting. But I agree with him on this. Ron Romney should leave. She's allows the chairman of the RNC and all she knows how to do is lose.
Speaker 3: Wow, Genie, I don't know if you want to add that. We have a few other things to get through here, and we will have time. Is Ron McDaniel going to be the chair of the RNC after this cycle?
Speaker 8: No, she should not be. You can't lose this much. But interestingly, he didn't blame Donald Trump, the head of the party, for any of those losses. By the way, all his attacks in those first two questions were against women, despite the fact there were men on the stage and off who, if he was being honest, should have been at the end of those receiving end of those attacks. Very distressing.
Speaker 3: Well, we're going to get into the performance of the two front runners. Coming up next. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: To the Bloomberg Sound on podcast. Catch the program live weekdays at one Eastern on Bloomberg Radio, the tune in alf, Bloomberg dot Com, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station Just Say Alexa played Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 3: So the high heels did come up in the debate last night. You know, we were all watching for it, listening for it, just didn't come up exactly the way we expected. As we've been discussing with the panel, Rick Davis and Genie Shanzano. Vivek Ramaswami showed up with his sights set on Nicki Haley, and that's where the heels were in.
Speaker 9: Folks, do you want a leader from a different generation who's going to put this country first? Or do you want Dick Cheney in three inch heels?
Speaker 3: All right, mister ate, we've got two of them on stage. Thank you, Sator going after her foreign policy credentials, Dick Cheney, he said in three inch heels.
Speaker 6: She was ready for it at first, like to say, they're five inch heels and I don't wear them unless you can run in them.
Speaker 8: We've got two.
Speaker 6: Of you on still, that's a thing that I will say, is I wear heels or not for a fashion statement? They're for ammunition.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not sure about the ammunition. Are we throwing heels around now? We're kicking people on the trail. But of course the fashion statement referring there too, Ron DeSantis and the lifts inside the cowboy boots. We never did get to the bottom of it. He stayed quiet through that whole thing. But look a lot of people are up on Nicki Haley again. She seems to do well in these forums. And then the day after it gets a little bit of a bump. We'll see how the panel feels about it. Rick and Jeanie are back with us Bloomberg Politics contributors. I could play you more from both of them, and I will the Vivake Nicky rivalry here Rick Davis, But I wonder if he thinks she actually moved the needle for herself or if ron DeSantis will still be center stage in the next debate.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think she did well for herself. I think people are watching to see if she's got what it takes to be president. She certainly made a good pitch in the first hour of the debate to be commander in chief. Right, that's one of the boxes that everybody has to pass in order for Republicans in this case to have confidence in putting him in the oval office. And I would say too pretty deaf handling of the social issues. We talked earlier in the program about abortion. Thought she actually got away with something there. I'm a little surprised the other pro lifers on the stand didn't really go after but other than Ramaswami, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of appetite to take her on. So in that regard, I think she got through the debate very well and will continue to move up as people look for options. Donald Trump, I would say that DeSantis comported himself pretty well from the point of view of in a different lane than she is, right. I mean, she's in the interventionist foreign policy lane. He's in the protectionist, you know, don't don't don't get engaged around the world. And when he got asked questions about foreign policy, he turned it back to the border. And that is a very popular thing to do for most Republican primary voters. So, even though we are left scratching our heads, going why is the answer to the question, the answers he's giving will resonate with some Republican primary voters, especially those in Iowa.
Speaker 3: You seem like he's getting better at this Rick. I know it might be too little, too late, but it did seem like his best performance so far.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Look, I think he's just the talking point candidate. I mean, he's good at like just hammering around talking points. He doesn't tell stories, he doesn't you know, talk about people's values. He doesn't put it into context. He just blurts out, you know, sort of talking points. And his talking points are poll tested, right, and so he's hitting those numbers, you know, in order to get voters to take a look at him in the way that they want it. Can to talk. He's uninspiring, but on message, and I'd say that's the nicest thing I can say about his performance.
Speaker 3: I'd like to hear from me on the issue of abortion and what we heard around the stage last night Jeanie as I was discussing with Larry Sabadow, this did not come up for ninety minutes, which is noteworthy after the role that this issue clearly played in the elections of the day before that did not go well for so many Republican candidates. Senator Scott went to the fifteen week band. We heard quite a bit about that. Ron de Santis didn't go too far into this, even though a six week ban was signed in the state of Florida. He was a little bit more vague on things, and Nicki Haley, as we played earlier, said I won't judge anyone for being pro choice, but I am unapologetically pro life. Did she win the messaging on that issue last night?
Speaker 8: You know, I think Democrats still win the messaging on that, but out of five of them, certainly. Nicky Haley had a very strong answer on that. She said, I am pro life because my husband was adopted. I had difficulty conceiving it's personal for me, and I'm not, to your point, going to judge people who have a different view. She also said, rightly, so what the reality is there? Aren't sixty votes in the Senate to get a federal ban. This should be left to the states. And in that respect, she was similar to Chris Christy, and I would note there were a lot of issues on which Nicky Haley and Chris Christy on that stage last night lined up. But the problem for Republicans remains as a whole. They cannot figure their way out of this issue, and it is going to continue to drag them down. And we heard this from Tim Scott last night. They are mistaking this idea. They still are clinging, like Glynn Youngkin was to this notion of a fifteen week ban. People don't care whether it's twelve weeks, fifteen weeks, eighteen weeks about that number in those policies specifics. What they're hearing is you are taking away our rights, you are taking away our ability to get healthcare. You are trying to have a strong government hand in what we do with our bodies. I don't care whether you say it's eighteen weeks fifteen weeks. The number doesn't matter. And that's what Republicans have to grapple with, and it's going to be a really difficult thing for them to find their way around. But I do think Nikki Haley saying a federal ban or a federal limit is off the table is probably the way they're going to have to go. And again, you've got Donald Trump out there, responsible for all of this, who is trying to also moderate his views on this, and that is going to be very difficult, even for somebody who talks a lot like Donald Trump to figure his way out of that conundrum involving the people he appointed to the court who single handedly overturned.
Speaker 3: Row Well, I'm just going to apologize in advance for this because Donald Trump did speak at a rally last evening counterprogramming. He was also in Florida, And just to give you a sense of how this went last evening, while these five Republican presidential candidates were sparring, albeit not always on policy, this is what was happening at the Trump rally as he was introduced by Roseanne Barr.
Speaker 2: Aren't we all fat up with the deep state?
Speaker 6: Boss?
Speaker 3: Yeah? This keeps going.
Speaker 8: We want Trump the magador to kill that.
Speaker 4: Boo and.
Speaker 3: Kill that I figured i'd stopped there. Donald Trump was also there last evening, said he was bored with the debates. Larry Sabado said, though he won last night, Rick, do you agree, Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 7: I think that by avoiding any confrontation with the second choice competition at the debate, he kept them from being able to really do any damage to him. Honestly, I still am dumbfounded as to why nobody on the stage really took it upon themselves to contrast with Trump other than answering the first question of the night. It's just baffling to me that they basically are giving him a walk on the debates. And so, believe me, if they all attacked him, he'd want to show up for the next one. And so I think that this idea that they're all going to you know, give you know, no attention to Donald Trump is ultimately going to be seen after the fact is one of the biggest mistakes of the of the undercard.
Speaker 3: Wow new Emerson pull out today, Genie, we don't have time for the deep dive. But it's a battleground state, pole swing state. Donald Trump beats Joe Biden in Georgia, in Pennsylvania, in Wisconsin, in Nevada, in Arizona. I thought he was the one Joe Biden wanted to run against.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he was very concerning. Repeat of the Bloomberg Morning Counsul, repeat of Siana New York Times. Now we have Emerson. The numbers we are seeing are not a one off and they are not a shock anymore. They are what they are. Biden's team has to be concerned. And of course, let's keep in mind, Trump, as much as he's in the news today, is not necessarily in the news as a candidate. So I look at some of these polls as a reflection of what people are feeling about the country in Biden. When is it a head to head matchup between Biden and Trump? And he is really very much in the news for the issues of the day and running we may see some slight differences there, but Democrats are concerned. Hence you see Biden heading out to the Midwest to try to shore up some of these states where he is flagging off and Pennsylvania being a Union state. He's very cognizant of that.
Speaker 3: Something like hanging out with Rick and Jeanie the day after a debate, Right, they're all ours for the hour.
Speaker 1: You're listening to The Bloomberg Sound on podcast. Catch us Live weekdays at one Eastern on.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 1: Or listen on demand wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: President Biden leaves the bubble today, the most union friendly president in American history, on his way to Illinois. It's to meet with well the unions. This after the Big Three cut deals with the UAW. Joe Biden's going to be out there, not too far from Chicago, to meet with members of the UAW and of course appear with the leader of the union, Sean Fame.
Speaker 1: We do not always secured a record contract. We have begun to turn the tie on the war on the American working class, and we truly are saving the American dream.
Speaker 3: Saving the American dream. And that's the message, of course from the Biden administration. They're out there for the reopening of a Stalantis plant. More specifically, it's been a lot of news from the world of organized labor. It's not just the Big Three in the UAW that the President would clearly be taking a victory lap for here where he became the first president to walk a picket line just a few weeks back with the UAW. But we've got news today. Just look at the terminal the actors strike ending after one hundred and eighteen days. Studios and union reached the deal. When do we get our shows back? Not as soon as you might think. Separate story there, But also, how about what's happening in Las Vegas right now? The big F one race set to kick off in just days and the Culinary Workers Union twenty five thousand members strong on the strip threatening to strike against all the big resorts. Well, they're tumbling lie like dominos now if you take a look, yesterday it was Caesar's. Today, MGM cuts a deal. We'll see what happens when Win reports after the bell Culinary Workers' Union a tentative five year contract of historic nature. We read given wage increases in the first year in funds allotted to healthcare and pensions that according to the Culinary Union Secretary treasurer. Let's reassemble our panel for their take on this. Rick Davis and Genie Shanzano. Is this a winning message then? For Joe Biden? Jeanie, did he roll the dice and win as these strikes turn into contracts and nearly averted strikes lead to historic wage increases?
Speaker 8: He did?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 8: I was just thinking when you were talking about him going out on that standing on that picket line, which was controversial at the time, and I think looking back at it now, it was probably the best what fifteen twenty minutes that Joe Biden has spent politically in a while, because it seems to be paying off. And again we say seems because we don't know for certain, but seems to be paying off in dividends. You've got the tentative agreement with the big three in the UAW. You've now got the tentative agreement with the actors and SAG and the culinary workers out in Formula one and everybody who wants to go see you two out there. Those are all big, big wins for Joe Biden, and we see him today taking advantage of that as he goes out to Belvidere thousands of workers going back to work. You've got the Governor Pritzker there, You've got Sean Fain, and you know, you contrast that with his leading opponent, Donald Trump, spent his time talking to non union workers and saying really really bizarre things about how you know, eds were you know, a transition to hell or something like that, and speaking out and down about Sean Faine and the UAW workers and how all their jobs were going to China. Well, now look at where we are. So if these agreements do pan out, and you're talking about these poll results in these swing states Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Nevada, I mean the list goes on even a few thousand votes for Biden, that swing from Trump or people staying home is a big deal. So I do think this is paid off really well so far for Joe Biden, and we have to see how it moves forward. But he's taking a bit of a victory lap today and greatly so.
Speaker 3: Do you agree with Genie on this one? Rick? Does that mean that union members rank and file will vote for Joe Biden?
Speaker 7: You will not be surprised that I disagree with Genie. First of all, Sean Fain, the American Dream now requires you to be a Union member to be able to access the American Dream. I don't think so. Look, I think Genie actually pointed out the key vulnerability, and that is he's taken a victory lap on something that actually doesn't affect very many people in any of those targeted states. I'm sorry, how many union members are in Arizona, Nevada, and Georgia, three of the six targeted states that are going to be at play. If Biden wins loses just one of those, he probably loses the presidency. I don't get it. I mean, like the issues that are affecting voters today, the reason Joe Biden is losing are things like inflation and opportunity, and I don't see him talking about those things today. And so until he starts addressing the elephant in the room, which is people's economic personal economic situation, he's just adding to the Donald Trump playlist of things to criticize. And so sure, yeah, Donald Trump says some crazy stuff, and in the last two months he's gone from losing to winning. And I think right now crazy's beaten Joe Biden pretty handily.
Speaker 3: Wow. Well, you know, Genie, you mentioned it. Let's listen to what Donald Trump mentioned to those auto Workers union workers. This was on the twenty third of October.
Speaker 10: It's the former president, you should not pay you dues because they're selling you to hell. You're going to be going to hell. You're not gonna have any jobs. All those cars are going to be made in China. Every one of them. You can forget it. In Michigan, you can forget it. South Carolina, you can forget it.
Speaker 3: Everybody.
Speaker 10: All of those cars are going to be made in China.
Speaker 3: You're going to hell. Genie, don't pay your dues. That's the winning message.
Speaker 8: It's absolutely not. I would prefer, if I had a choice, and I was one of those workers, to be with the union, which just struck a tentative, really really impressive and historic deal on Cola, on pay raises, and on so many issues. So that is where you want to be. That is where Joe Biden is. And let's not forget the next step for Sean Fain in the UAW. It is right down to some of those states that Rick was just talking about where they are going to try to unionize some non union shops like Tesla and others, And you know, this is the reality of where we are today. I would prefer to be on the side of the union and Joe Biden whether that, rather than on you know, I don't know Roseanne Barr and whatever she was screaming about and Donald Trump saying your jobs are going to hell as they strike this historic agreement, and the culinary workers are by the way out West, and they are going to benefit if this agreement goes through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see what happens if they get all of these resorts behind them. My god, to think that just to play back this conversation in a couple of years will be a riot. But this is apparently where we stand. Rick Davis and gd Shanzano, Bloomberg Politics contributors with us here on the Thursday edition of Sound On. And we're not done yet. We're gonna go back to Capitol Hill get some final thoughts from the panel on this new effort to defund Well everyone, they've even gotten to the Press Secretary at the White House. Defund the Press Secretary's office. Maybe that will become law, don't count on it.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Sound On podcast. Catch the program live weekdays at one Eastern on Bloomberg Radio, the tune in app, Bloomberg dot Com, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just say Alexa play Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: Eleven thirty's have been busy on Capitol Hill, of course, not only trying to fund the government and avoid a shutdown a week from tomorrow, but many amendments, many motions to defund the people we don't like. We had one defunding the Office of the Vice President for salary and other expenses. Also the House voting down a move to reduce the White House Press Secretary's salary to one dollar. This was brought forth by Claudia Tenney, Republican from New York.
Speaker 11: Mister speak, I rise today to offer an amendment to reduce the salary of Corrine Jean Pierre, the White House Press Secretary, to one dollar, mister speaker. During Miss Jean Pierre's tenure as Press Secretary, she has repeatedly lied to the American people and acted in a condescending manner toward reporters, and also violated the Hatch Act.
Speaker 3: See I thought that being condescending to reporters might actually help the Republican Conference of the House. Rick Davis and Geanie Shanza know your thoughts on time well spent here on the House floor. Rick, this is what it's come to. You know, there'll be another one later on to defund Rick Davis if they don't agree with what they hear on the show today. Is this just the new look for the US House.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's just another twist on entertainment that we've talked about.
Speaker 3: You know, they take these votes and then.
Speaker 7: They rush to their you know phone so they can tweet it out as quick as they can. Look what we've done. Of course, none of this stuff will ever be signed in the law on it just the is actually funding the government doing the work of the you know, of the government. So you know, I I I actually hate spending even two minutes talking about it because it's it's just a complete was sit down.
Speaker 3: Well, this is why people think Washington is ridiculous, Right, Genie, We're going to pay the press secretary one dollar for being mean to reporters, That's right.
Speaker 8: And this is somebody Claudia Tenny, endorsed by Donald Trump, who posted photoshopped pictures after a speaker Nancy Pelosi's husband was beat up and sent out tweet saying or you know, a Twitter account saying lots of laughs on they So, but she's deeply concerned about people being condescending and lying. It is a yes for to get advertising, and I would fight viciously against any attempt to do this. To Rick Davis, let me just say.
Speaker 3: That so I know you in the end have each other's backs. Thanks for listening to The Sound On Podcast. Make sure to subscribe if you haven't already, at Apple, Spotify, anywhere else you get your podcasts, and you can find us live every weekday from Washington, DC at one pm Eastern Time at Bloomberg dot com.