Speaker 1: Hey, you Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 2: And I am Joe McCormick, and it's Saturday, so we are heading down into the vault for an older episode of Stuff to Blow Your Mind. This one originally published on June twenty first, twenty twenty two, and this was an interview you did Rob with an author named Martin Wallin about the book Squid, which is I suppose about squid?
Speaker 1: Right? Oh yes, yes, this is a fantastic little book. I had a terrific time reading it and then just talking with Martin about all manner of squid content from his booking, including what Aristotle understood about the squid?
Speaker 2: Oh yes, was squid of the being essence or the doing essence.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of talking this about of the not eating or the eating essence as well. So I hope everyone enjoys the chat. Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind production of iHeartRadio. Hi, welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb, and it's just me today. Joe is away from work, so I reached out to Martin Wallin, professor emeritus at Oklahoma State University and author of numerous books, including the twenty twenty one book Squid, part of the Reaction Animal series that we'll be discussing here today. The book is out in both digital and physical forms, and I highly recommend it as it dives into not only science and natural history, but also mythology, folklore, and literature. So without further ado, let's jump right into the interview and discuss all of this with Martin. Hi, Martin, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Your book Squid, part of Reactions Animal series, came out last year, and as I started reading it earlier, this was exactly the sort of book that we'd love to discuss on the show. So if I may cobble together a couple of questions here, where did your interest in cephalopods come from? And how did this book come together?
Speaker 3: Right? Well, that's that's a nice question to figure in with. I had written two other books about animals, one about foxes, which is also part of the Reaction Animal series, and I've written the book about dogs. The book but dogs I actually started before the fox book, and that really arose out of relationships I've had with horses. Oddly enough, but because I've been around horses for a long time, I've increasingly begun to wonder how to engage with or how to write about, an animal with whom we half engage in a completely nonverbal way and most effectively through touch and other forms of sensory perception. And there's a mode of being on horses that's done as being quiet, but I could never quite work out a way to deal with that. So I began thinking more pointedly about my relationship with dogs and how we interact with dogs generally, which led me then to think about relationships with non domestic animals like foxes and so on. And then I began to think, well, what about creatures that are even more alien to us, creatures we probably don't interact with on a daily level the way we interact with domestic animals, or even the wild animals that might be passing through our neighborhood. And I really began to question what animal might I explore just in a perhaps a theoretical way that would enable me to tackle questions like what is it like to be in a world with unknown, unknowable creatures, not only ones we have to remain quiet about, but once we can barely even begin speaking about, And so I sort of exploring squids and found them enticingly bizarre, uh and enticingly weird, and really just took up a series of questions about about those strange, odd animals and how human cultures have over the millennia tried to describe them, or account for them, or express their anxieties about them and so on. And that's where I ended up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really love the way that you tackle the subject of this of the animal of the squid in this book, because you, you know, you approach it from the you know, the philosophical and the naturalist viewpoint. You get into the scientific research, both current and the end of the previous century and so forth, and then then you get into this idea of literary treatment, mythological treatment, et cetera. So it's as I love the net that you cast in this But you begin with Aristotle in the fourth century BC, philosopher's attempts to understand and chronicle cephalopods. What did Aristotle get right and what did he get wrong?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, I my push someone an ancient writer like Aristotle is that he's really working within his cultural contexts. So in his view and in the view of let's say, the classical Greek world. He got virtually everything right. What we would see that he got wrong in that regard is when he describes the semplepads as bloodless, because of course they're not bloodless. They simply have a different color of blood than most of those terrestrial animals. And when he makes references to certain qualities, like the fact that they lay imperfect eggs, because we think, well, those are squid eggs and they're appropriate to squids, and they're like squids, and that they're aqueous. But if I imperfect, he means that's the term he uses in reference to other animals as well. By perfect, he really means that, uh, the eggs don't remain, don't stay keep the same appearance that they have when they're first laid by the mother squid. By the way, I say, chicken eggs or lizard eggs basically are laid as hard shelled eggs and say that way until they're hatched. So that seemed like something incorrect in our thinking, but it's actually appropriate to Aristotle's uh conceptual view of the world. Well, we generally say that Aristotle got right, of course, uh is his physical descriptions of of really all the animals and and everything he he writes about UH. And that's that's what that's really what puts him at the very foundation of modern natural philosophy and ultimately modern science, because he he does pay a lot of attention and great care to the physical appearance of squids UH, and and that enables him to make certain rudimentary UH classifications among the different kinds of squids. It's also important to bear in mind, and maybe this is on the wrong side, but it's more of a qualification that Aristotle, being a Greek and a Greek of the fourth century BCE, really stayed pretty close to shore. He most of his observations of squids were done on the island of Lesbos in the Gulf of Colony, rather than out in the deeper waters. So that means that the squids he saw were the smaller inshore varieties of squids, and possibly some of the some of the larger varieties which he probably would have seen on fishermen's boats or as dead specimens that floated ashore, and those would have been less common to him. And so he doesn't offer that many accounts of those squids, and nor does he really dealt into the differences between inshore and the offshore squids. So no, that's that's what I would say, is let's say right and wrong gish about ariostoles accounts.
Speaker 1: Now you mentioned the fishermen, of course, and that leads to the question, what was the culinary view of of of squids and their relatives during Aristotle's time?
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's an intriguing view. I think almost everyone who isn't a vegan has had calamari on our different kinds of squid. Squids are nice to eat, and they were nice to eat then, except that the ancient Greeks had a much more ambivalent view of of what we call seafood than then we do. And that ambulance comes from a general general revolsion toward the sea, which was commonly referred to as being simply perfidious because it was a dangerous place. Uh. And uh you could sink, You, being a human, could sink down below the surface and never be seen again. Uh. And fish, including squids, were known to eat humans. And so the idea of eating an animal that eats humans uh just tends to stir the stomach, but also tends to rub against the philosophical view of medicine medame psychosis, which would suggest that if squids are eating humans, then we are essentially eating humans that have been transformed into squids by the digestive tract. Uh. And that's something that that seemed to be immoral and and culpable. So that people who did eat squids, and there are numerous references to to this ethical view, people who did eat squids were somehow morally suspect uh and somehow we're either indulgent or not to be frosted. Part of that view. I think it's gets exacerbated later on by the high morality of someone like Plato who really lived sort of puritanical or had a puritanical uh view of the world. Uh. And so he he really condemned uh, some of the writers who focused on their their diets and what they enjoyed eating like squids. So oh it was it was people. People ate them, almost certainly, but they were unhappy about eating them, at least in the Greek world. Uh. And notably, there are very few visual depictions of squids or even marine life, apart from the Saint dolphins until pretty late in the Greek world.
Speaker 1: Now, why is there so much terminological confusion concerning squids, octopuses, and cuttlefish in classical literature. This is something you discussed in the book right right.
Speaker 3: Well again that that largely comes from Aristotle and who Marisotols when he was describing the cephalopods really grouped them all under the general general heading of malachoy, which basically means soft bodied creatures or as I like to think, squishy, squishy creatures. And he didn't go into that much detail and distinguishing, as I said earlier, UH, the in store from the offshore UH squids. He distinguishes squids from cuddlefishes and octopuses, but even there he refers to the polypods UH. And then he'll refer to the cuttle fishes, sometimes using the term sepia UH and other times as polypoose and other times as tooth is or other times still as truth oaths UH. And as later commentators and translators UH are obviously confused about exactly which creature he was referring to. The confusion has us to do with octopuses, that does with the two decapods, cuttle fishes and squids, And there Ariostolic say that he does he does allow for a certain distinction, and that is based on the quality of their flesh. So tuttle fishes, which swim closer to shore, he says, absorb more of the heart surface hard substances of the earth, so they have a bone running through their bodies, with the cuddle bone, and that he referred to as the both c B I the CBA bone, and then uh, the squids he then just referred to as the tooth and tooth olls. And it's hard really to know again what he meant by the tooth is which has the ending I s, and tooth oath, which has the ending O S. But it does seem that that that's largely my deduction as based on lexicons and uh simply the fact they gave more attention to the truth is that that one tooth is refers to the insure, Chris refers to the upsur. So it's really a confusion of what he The confusion is partly due to his his vagueness and his accounts, and to the later confusion of uh uh of commentators and translators, largely again because those commentators would themselves not have ventured out into the sea to look at squids or for that matter, of cold fishes or octopuses. But we're probably writing and nlocked libraries, uh uh, copying or summarizing Aristotle's texts. So uh, that's that confusion does become pretty much a quality of squid or even squishy natural history for the next many years, let's say, next thousand or so years.
Speaker 1: And as as you later discussed in the book, I mean, we still have what what what encountercase is where something we're calling a squid is actually not technically a squid.
Speaker 3: Right do you mean the coldfish.
Speaker 1: Wasn't there when when you start talking about the the vampire squid.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, vampire squid, Yes, yes, of course, right, technically that that is not a squid's actually more of an octopi because it doesn't it doesn't really have the same layout of arms and tentacles that squids do. Uh. So, yes, you're right, that's one of the strangest creatures and also a creature. Was one of the most delightful names of the vampire squid from Hell. Uh. Yes, but almost certainly is, or let's say, at least possibly it's not actually a squid as a cbo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love the illustrations we see of this particular cephalod in the book, one of them I was really taken with. I hadn't seen the seen this particular illustration before, but the artist almost it seemed like they were trying to make the squid appear like a skull. Am I alone in interpreting it this way?
Speaker 3: Sure? Yes, I think that's that's sortainly appropriate. That's that's I believe Carl Chuns illustration. Oh no, I have it right here. It does look like a skull because it's it's black, and it's in this particular station. It's upside down, so it has the sort of dulish mouth. It seems to be sort of a hideous grin underneath two eyes, and then there's a nose socket. Right. That's sort of a fanciful rendition of vampire squid.
Speaker 1: Now, going back to the two ancient writings here Plenty of the Elder. Of course, his accounts inevitably come up when anytime we're discussing Western understandings of the natural world. And I was really taken by a bit from Plenty that you discussed in the book. Can you explain the proposed connection between the quote lavish nature of liquid and large marine animal sizes.
Speaker 3: Well, very much an air of Aristotle describing the world as he thought uh and describing the world very much as Roman Uh. So when he looked out on to buy the water, lakes, rivers and the sea, he saw that there there there was a large form that was basically being fed continually by rainfall and other forms of precipitation. So that's that's the nourishments that he sees taking place. And then he draws a basic analogy between the two different realms of the world. On the one hand, there's the terrestrial realm populated by humans and land animals, and then the ocuous world UH. And she says every form of of of uh life that exists on land must also have its counterpart in uh the sea uh and the off realm. But because the oqueous realm is more obviously nourished by precipitation, is by precipitation, which is like the ocious realm than land is like precipitation. UH. That means then that the animals are nourished themselves more than land animals are, so they grow to greater size it is even monst sizes. And because water is more fluid. They also are liable to take more varied shapes. UH and Eveven diverged into a completely different animals that do not exist on land. So that analogy is central to Plenty's kind of thinking about natural history. And it's also a clear indication that he's thinking specilatively, since of course you didn't have a baptosphere UH and couldn't see below the surface of the dark sea. And but it's also on the basis of that that UH that later accounts of thee monsters UH claimed to have some basis in natural history.
Speaker 1: In fact, I also love a bit that you from Plenty that you share, because this is one of those quotes that I guess when you're when you're looking at things Plenty shared, I guess sometimes you know second or third hand about things in the world. Sometimes they they may feel a bit detached from the actual reality. But this is one of those quotes that that I feel like actually just speaks across the ages and and matches up with like my experience of seeing octopi in the wilder or anycephalopods in an aquarium. And that is quote that squids are virtually incomprehensible to those who have never seen one, because they continually shift their appearance by moving their arms and changing colors. I don't know about you, but I thought that really had a real ring of solid truth to it.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And as I mentioned at the very beginning, what my interests in squids is just that, incomprehensibility, how can there be such an animal? The simple the basic word cephalopod, the official term for those whole group of animals, really means the head of feet, right cephalo and then pod for feet. That makes no sense, and that name encapsulates the oddness and strangeness, the alien quality of these creatures. And they really do challenge our basic sense so what an animal should be like or act like, because indeed they do change shape continually, they change colors continually, and they in many ways they should not exist. Uh. There are even questions that at various times in history about whether they should be categorized as animals or instead as at plants. Uh. And so they've always been a real mystery, UH, and a real challenge to our ability to create taxonomies and explanations and based on categories of animals and their relations to one another, because there's always the troublic question of how do we dot this head of feet in relation to ourselves? Whose backwards are we built backwards? Or are they?
Speaker 1: Now you mentioned the mysterious, and of course you spend a lot of time in the book discussing mythologies and folklore concerning various cephalopods, and of course you get into the into the giant squid quite a bit as well. So so getting more into the scientific realm here, can you tell us what role Japaness Steamstrup played in bridging squid myth and squid science of the nineteenth century.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's that's a great question for lots of reasons. Stage Shop is really the turning point from the tradition of let's say, squid lore based on legends and uncertainty. Uh and uh, the terminological vagueness that we were talking about, to modern classifications that made possible scientific studies about squid since cephalopods. So for a number of years, especially in the North Atlantic area, Uh, there had been of course, there were the legends of the krake and the big monsters that swallowed up ships or that people would mistake as islands and land on and perform religious rituals and and then be swallowed up and dragged down to the sea. And those legends were intermixed with a number of beachings of giant squids uh, the archituccus ducks and other sightings of squids uh, and there were recorded as historically events uh really starting uh in let's say the sixteenth century by who uh described uh uh uh strange creatures that he referred to as monks fish are episcopal fish, and he uh illustrated his rod delay, if that is, illustrated his accounts with drawings of creatures that had fins instead of feet and hands. But we're wearing a monk's habit or a cardinal's miter, and that those sorts of accounts really very gong on uh myths and uh fabulous accounts. But there was still an effort to provide some kind of empirical credence to uh the existence of these unbelievable monsters. So as a number of sightings and beats things occurred. By the middle of the nineteenth century, Staintstruck came along and fortuitously no one gave him a beak from one of the giant squids that had beached, and he delivered a lecture in eighteen fifty four where he went through all the different accounts of sea monsters by Rondelays Uh and others, and he performed a kind of literary analysis of all the descriptions which had probably been gathered by Rondelay and others from from fisherman's accounts who tried to describe these bizarre creatures they had seen. And on the same Struck then concluded that all these accounts were referred to one very real creature uh. And so, after a lengthy series of exegesis of these various accounts, he quite dramatically presented to his audience this beak he had been given, a very imposing uh beak. A squid's beak is like a hawk's beak or a parent's beak, so it's really sharp and curved and midst to tear flesh. So this is a good sized beak. Uh. And he with that sort of dramatic flourish of showing his audience to speak, he was really to to change the accounts of seafarers and and let's say, the legends of monsters into a verifiable uh animal that could be given a scientific name. And Uh, he's the one who then gave it the name Arctuthu's Ducks UH. And with that name UH, he basically cleared up the ambiguity that existenence Aristotle, and he UH allowed for a focused and discipline study of of squids based on a real taxonomy, and a taxonomy that lays out different uh genera of squids, different species of squids, and is able to map their locations around the world. So, in short, Saints really marks the transition from the world of myth and uncertainty and ambiguity to the world of modern empirical study.
Speaker 1: Now, speaking of modern study, one of the big topics that comes up in all this thing you discussed in the book of course is the is the our attempts to understand cephalopod intelligence. And you bring up some of our responses to cephalopod intelligence and and even the idea that they could be quote the primates of the sea. What are what are the challenges and limits in play when it comes to understanding the mind of the squid?
Speaker 3: Well, the telegon player or or are great. Even even though there is such thing as scientific study of squids, and the science and squids is growing. The taxonomy of squids is expanding xconentually as more and more species in general are being discovered continually. But on the other hand, exactly what these creatures are still remains cheezing, because there are these strange creatures whose heads consist of feet, but they also have sizeable brains and they show a real intelligence. The marine biologist Jeffer Mather has pointed out, I think most valuable, valuably that squids exist in I'm courting her hair worlds away from us. And even though she says, even though their their brains may not have quite the same structure as ours, they can still be seen to work in analogous ways to our brains, and therefore their intelligence can be seen to be somewhat analogous, albeit bizarre. It's worth noting that the squid brains regulate movement through visual cues. That makes their perception and their movement their response to that perception almost simultaneous, in fact, so simultaneous that would be virtually the same event. Whereas let's say, in humans most land creatures, we perceived something and it might take a second or two to to respond, UH, squids perceive and respond instantaneously. UH. Scientists have focused particularly on what they call it the giant axon, a very large nerve fiber that radiates throughout the wall of the mantle the long tubular part of the squid. UH. This this nerve is about a millimeter in diameter UH and really the largest nerve of of of any any animal in the world. And it's the size of the nerves that is able to enable the squid to transmit its perceptions from its eyes and and other receptors around its body instantaneously into its musculature to move UH, so that they can they can propel themselves by by shooting out streams of water within milliseconds of of perceiving something that they want to attack. UH. And their intelligencens really is I think can can should be described as a movement on the one hand and predation on the other hand, or really that's that's the same as well, because they really are predators UH, and they are hyper sensitive to the their environment. They have a number of organs and mechanisms for perception, not just their eyes but along their their entire bodies that they have a little to perceive well beyond our five sentences. They don't have hearing, almost certainly, but they are able to perceive motion uh and emotions and a very very fine degree. And they also then can uh famously change colors, flash colors brilliantly illuminate themselves through chromatophores, which are essentially facts of pigments that cover their entire body uh and that can be contracted and opened will to change the color of the skin. And as these sacs open and shut, expand and contract, they reveal some erutifores underneath. The ritifores reflect light back as a kind of iridescence, but it's a different kind of light, is more of a polarized light, which we humans aren't really geared to perceive that we can see a kind of sheen the way you would see on a soap bubble. And these changes, these chromatophors are really controlled again by the squid eyes. So movement color changes are all instantaneous and very much part of squid intelligence, governed by astaushing powers of perception, uh very dominant and and uh impressive nervous system uh and a brain. So to think them as primates of to see, they are against predators and they pretty much live not at the top of the food chain, because of course they're eaten by many other creatures, but their intelligence and their athleticism certainly makes them formidable. Uh so uh definitely puts them at the top of many people's hierarchy.
Speaker 1: Now, one of the one of the things you mentioned here that really blew me away. You discuss handling and messengers research into quote unquote squid talk and touch on their idea that that the squid in particular may engage in not only play but dishonesty and communication. What are we to make of this?
Speaker 3: Right? Right? That's that is that's a delightful discovery by the scientists. First of all, zipp Mather again has studied what she refers to as squiddish uh, the language of squids. She categorized it through studying various postures and light flashes uh that squids make, so that she's able to come up with something approaching a lexicon, and for the most part, uh, scientists and and others uh looking at lexicon as as simply being informational the way we usually think of animal communication being informational. Birds uh squawk and chirp perhaps to say good morning, or you and I are boyfriend and girlfriend, or there's a predator close by. Or something like that. And if if we think of if we start to think as Roger Hanlon and John Messenger suggests that perhaps squids are not simply communicating information, but they're creating misinformation disinformation. Uh. That that suggests that there's something else going on a higher level of communication. And then it suggests that there might even be a let's say, a performative quality too uh squiddish uh to squid communication, which is, say, it's it's not literal, it's not simply informational, but it's something else. And that dishonesty play the big role. And let's say literary allusions, so that very very much of literature does not simply consist of information relayed about something. It's not simply uh the empirical descriptions of Aristotle, uh, but it's suggestive, it's allusive. It relies on puns, and it can rely on jokes. Uh. So that suggestion that squids are not simply let's say, unimaginative animals who are merely saying food here, uh, pred uture there, but perhaps have the capacity for joking or imagination. But then, since qu squids are undeniably major predators and even cannibals, we have to ask, uh, what are their jokes or what are they imagining? Are they making jokes about us which is discomforting, or are they making jokes with a punchline I will eat you. Or if their jokes are not found funny by other squids, will they be eaten? That's a funny room for jokes of our own.
Speaker 1: And also worry, that's that's amazing. Uh, Now a lot of that, I guess we're talking about information, you know, bi cephalopods for cephalopods. But but coming back to the topic of what cephalopods can do for us, say something that certainly drives a lot of the research, as you point out, what are the brightest possibilities here and and what are the arguments for for eating cephalopods even if they might be primates of the sea, Because I know that I know people who, for instance, are pescatarians but don't eat cephalopods or make a distinct choice not to eat them based on some of the intelligence research out there.
Speaker 3: Well, the argument for eating self pods is simply they're enormous numbers. They they they swarm throughout visually all oceans, and these except for the Black Sea and and high quantities, and they are highly are the fisheries UH yeared around squids are very successful in catching large quantities of them. And that's important in this time of industrial UH fishing, when many species of aquatic life are being simply wiped out uh through the drag netting and and other forms of industrial fishing, so that it really has become a mass produced kind of of food which have depleted partially everything. Squids seems to be impervious to that, or at least so far. And that's that's really the argument. I'm I'm gonna hold off on on what it means to be something of UH intelligence for just a second, because there are other possibilities for ways humans have sought to use to exploit UH squid. UH. One of course, is there the giant axon. So the scientists have begun to to harvest UH squid just for that nerve in the hopes of using them to UH re juvenate humans who have become paralyzed, who have lost neurological functions UH. And that's that's a big hope for the pharmaceutical industry. Or even suggestions that because of the squids capacity to change colors that maybe some genius will find a way of transferring that into use by the military industrial complex to allow let's say, camouflage and the battlefield so that just and UH filter k Dick's novels scanner darkly, where the UH policemen wear these UH scanner suits that change their uh physical configuration completely. Uh. So let's say warriors could change themselves completely so that nobody could see it. So that sounds pretty far fetched, but it's it's perhaps on the at least the table as for eating them or let's say, lloyding them in any sense for the military or for uh medical uses. I think those arguments really wrestle during them as resources overlooking that intelligence or best as or at least disqualifying squid intelligence as being less than human intelligence. It's long been our tendency to say, uh, whatever is alien to us, whatever is different from me, Uh, it cannot be as good as I am, and it can even be real because it's not human. It's not really intelligence. UH. And I might I might even mention that I submitted my books to the press. One of the editors took a real issue with my res to squid humor. She said, that's impossible. There's no such thing as humor in the animal world has never been documented. Well, I don't know. I disagree. As I said, I spent plenty of time around forces, and I know that they can be real jokesters, and I know dogs can be jokesers, and fox hunters around the world will tell you about foxes playing real tricks, and so there is such thing as humor. But it's hard to fathom what uh, several pod humor or selphal pod intelligence would be. But I think it's also important to recognize that. I'll just challenge your fish eating friends further and say, well, certainly all kinds of fish, all creatures have intelligence, and we have to ask ourselves if it's just different from ours or if it really truly is lesser than ours, which would justify as eating a lesser being. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Now, you of course get into cephalopod evolution, taking us back five hundred to six hundred million years. But then something special seems to have occurred during the struggle with fish and marine reptiles. Can you describe what we think happened here?
Speaker 3: Well, of course it's all highly speciative, but around four hundred and fifty million years ago. I believe this is what you're referring to, what is always been called as the Devonian extinsion, when pretty much all almost all life disappeared, and slowly animals began to reappear in in various parts of the world, but decidedly not in the deepest oceans because oxygen levels there are are low. But stuffle pods seem to do okay. Uh, they moved. Offshore squids in particular, moved into the deeper water. So that uh, there we again have look back to Aristotle's to accounts of the inshore and the offshore squids. Uh, the offshore squids grew bigger because squids generally lost their shells or Moluskian shells, they were able to move faster, and they didn't have the bones that fishes had, so that they were able to prey upon the fish that previously preyed upon them. Because boneless squids were able to move much faster and react more quickly than bony fishes could. So that was that was one of the theoretically one of the key steps in the development of or squids to somewhat modern squids that we see fairly recently relatively speaking.
Speaker 1: And I've already alluded to changes going on in the oceans today. Is there a cephalopod explosion happening in the world today? Are we seeing changes in cephalopod populations?
Speaker 3: Well, it certainly seems so. In many ways. Popular presses around the world have referred to squid blooms or squid invasions, where large populations of cephalopods show up in a particular area. And it seems that that could be happening because of of climate change, uh so that the occurrence are shifting. Uh. That that's one explanation for why Humboldt squids have shown up in large numbers in certain years around Monterey Bay, California. Uh and have uh such large numbers that they have washed ashore uh and and and and you know, along by the by the millions, causing course serious tygetic issues. And it's also possible because of which you say that the explosion of squids is also possible because of the depletion of other fish, of fish that might be eating squids or competing with squids for other food. Maybe whales uh have been uh depopulated enough to allow for explosions of squids. But it's also possible that people are starting to pay more attention to squids. UH. When there are computative squid blooms somewhere, then fishing fleets will swarm to a particular area, and I've fished that area heavily. And since squids have a fairly short life of very short life generally about a year, they can disappear and then reappear again uh later on, And as they move through the current, they can appear in a different place uh and again in large numbers. And I just mentioned UH squid breed insects large numbers that scientists have referred to them as the protein pump of the sea, so that as they uh breed in one part of the sea and then move to another part of the sea die and decompose, uh, they provide nutrients for other fish other aquatic life forms, so that they they've moved around in that way as well. So at any rate, it seems that squids are highly adaptable. It's as climate change happens, squids, more than bony fish and other aquatic creatures, are very willing to change. They're very willing to move into areas that had previously been thought to be incompatible with squids or cephalopods or really any form of life. And I think that the bottom line there is we see that almost certainly squids will endure.
Speaker 1: Now, obviously I love the section in the book on folkloric squids and how interconnected the folklore is with our just basic understanding of the various species, and I think our listeners will particularly enjoy this section of the book as well. And I can't possibly ask you about all of it, but one example I wanted to bring up. It was the idea you share of the Norse sea reek, and the idea that the sea reek might be linked to ammonia in the giant squid body. Can you describe?
Speaker 3: That's a slight connection that I hope I'm not making too much of, But it is the case that the giant squid archituc of ducks made famous by stains rope and others. But this is ammonia chloride and it's in it's flesh. Uh. And the reason for that is that these are animals that live very deep in the ocean, and the ammonia chloride provides buoyancy so that they don't float to the surface where they wouldn't want to be because they beaten by birds or whatever, and also prevents them from sinking down to the bottom. All squids have ammonia chloride, just a giant squid and and a few other species and general. But in much of the folklore of squid uh, folklore extending up into the novels of the modern era, UH, the reek of ammonia is very much an aspect of an encounter worth a kraken or half a goufa or one of these monsters of the seas that would supposedly UH wrapped their arms around the entire ship and dragon to the to the bottom of the ocean. So I think that the sea reek and is a possible literal account of UH, this this feared, mythic and yet real monster that everyone dreaded and always left kind of of tell tale odor and it's wake.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Throughout this section, I was just you know, trying to you know, to put myself in the mindset, possible mindset of of say, you know, a Norse seaman, uh, you know, witnessing this and smelling these creatures you know, and encountering you know, firsthand and then secondhand knowledge of them. It's really remarkable, well.
Speaker 3: And frightening yes, of course, mean the city is frightening enough. Since we all know that humans aren't meant to be able to see in a natural sense, we can to sink uh, and we else know that way down deep there are monsters like the vampire squids from Hell and giant squids Googled attack our ships.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I love how this is a recurring theme in the book, talking about our relationship with to see our relationship then with squid and the idea of the squid, and of course that leads us to the squid gods. So when when, even when I say squid gods, I know many listeners are probably thinking of a certain fictional deity that we'll mention in a moment here. But there is a squid deity in Polynesian traditions.
Speaker 3: Right well. I hesitate to speak authoritatively about another culture, but Polynesian culture is very close to the ocean. And from what I was able to understand from my own very amateurish investigations, is that there are prayers to Analola who described as God of the squid. Does not theme that that god is actually a squid, but is perhaps represented by a squid uh, since it would be inappropriate to say uh the god's name directly literally uh. But it is the case that also that as in many UH cultures, there are certain beings that serve as family guardians uh, which can ward off threats and bring good fortune uh to a particular family. These these, of course, these guardians uh would be revered. Among those would be uh the squid. And in that regard, one of my happiest discoveries when I was researching for the book uh well, the modern New Zealand poet Darren Kamali, who invokes ancient Polynesian traditions in his poetry, he he called upon uh guardian squids to rejuvenate his culture uh that has been subsumed by the Western views by commercial exploitation of non human life. And so his his songs about uh squids, about a squid becoming a man whose tentacles uh then become dreadlocks. Uh who then chants these these rejuvenating songs, they become chants calling up this this, this ancient UH life, this ancient uh familiarity. UH. And let's say companionship or guardianship among animals, or let's just put this way, an ancient community among humans and other creatures that perhaps can rectify some of the ills caused by Western exploitation and Western views that that squid intelligence cannot be compared to human intelligence. That has to be less than intelligence to enable us uh to exploit them just for their nerve fibers or for their flesh.
Speaker 1: Wow, I feel like that that would that would almost be a fitting into the interview right there. But but I have to of course ask you about about the squid in literature and particular and some of the weirder weird fiction of the twentieth and the twenty first century. And again there's a lot in the book. I'm not going to ask you about everything. I encourage our listeners to pick up a copy and dive in themselves. But one of the big ones you of course discuss is Jules Verne's treatment of the Giant Squid and twenty thousand Leagues under the Sea. How essential is this novel to pop culture visions of the giant squid?
Speaker 3: Oh well, it's enormously important. In any ways, Vern does just the reverse of what Stains Group did, so that in the narrative, the main character, Professor Aronnax, who is a natural historian, gives an account of the giant squids that she sees from inside the submarine that's led by the evil cap and Nemo, and he gives aaron axis descriptions, very accurate, empirical, uh, dispassionate description. But then almost immediately that scene turns into uh a very exciting dramatic account where the squids are attacking the novelists and uh they become the repellent embodiments of the old myths and who who are trying to pull on Aeronax's companion, the harpoonist ned Land from the from the strip until Captain Nemo hacks off the tentacle of the squid and so on. Uh, ned Land is almost chopped into by the the beak, the giant beak of the monsters squid. So really, what Verne is able to accomplish there is making something seem something that seems scientific uh into a uh a rejuvenation of the old myths of the kraaken of the sea monsters. Uh. So we end up with a decidedly modern empirical kind of dread, a modern kind of anxiety. Uh. That so that we can name what these creatures are uh and still feel uh that that oh, yike, if I've been throught into the sea, they'll definitely wrap hold of me and chop me in half with their tyant beak. So that that really laid the groad work. As as you yourself said, for much of the later kinds of stories, uh that uh described space aliens coming to the world and destroying the world, and of course those aliens all are squits.
Speaker 1: Yeah that you of course you bring up HP Lovecraft's Cthulhu and The Call of Cthulhu, which I think most of our listeners are probably familiar with. But then you also touched on a work by William Hope Hodgson, The Boats of Glenn Carrigg. And I've read Hodgson's The Night Land, but I wasn't familiar with this one. Can you tell us a little about it? And it's rolled in squid related weird fiction.
Speaker 3: First of all, I really have to give a shout out to my great friend Tim Murphy, who is not only a lover of squid Affect almost as much as I am, but also an expert on Hodgson's book and weird fiction fiction generally, and he's he's just finishing a book on Hodgson and in short, the story of the books of Glenn Carrig uh from the the voice of John Winterstraw, who's the narrator, who's basically telling a kind of sailor's story of having once uh encounters strange monsters at sea. Basically, what happens in in his strange his sailor's story is that his ship, the the Glenn Carrick, gets caught in a big field of seaweed, let's say, probably something like the Sargasso Sea. And it's worth noting parenthetically that Hodgson uh did spend quite a bit of time in the merchant marine, so he was familiar with ships. He was worried, familiar with ship war uh, and with these kinds of tales uh that sailors tell them one another. But you know, also was interested in that category of of fiction. Uh, it's called weird weird fiction. So while the game Carrig is caught in uh this Sargasso Sea or just a field of seaweed, the sailors begin to to spread because they encounter other ships that have been trapped obviously trapped there so long they've just become skeleton ships uh, until finally they drift towards of what seems to be an island uh, and they try to set up a residence on the island. And then UH Winterstrong notices a few times he looks over the side of a boat. And the title of the h of novel comes from the fact that the sailors escape from the ship from the Glynn Carrick and the ship's boats which they rowed towards the island. Uh. So while he's in one of these boats, Winterstral looks over the side and he sees a white human like face staring back up at him. The horse scares the Bejesus out of him. Uh. And then once they get on the island, the sailors begin to encounter other beings. Uh. There seems to be encampments of squid like characters. It seems that perhaps these squid monsters are traveling underneath the island and and subterranean caverns and showing up on land uh and attacking uh the fortified of the sailors UH. And the the attacks happened uh nightly over a span of time, UH, even to the point that that the sailors become exhausted UH, and they said look out, hoping to war off more attacks. Winterslaw at numerous points looks out to sea and he can see the squid monsters swarming into the island and what he describes as discipline formations. So it's the squid army coming to attack the marooned sailors, uh, and the disturbing policy there, and they're really intriguing polity. And I think this is what Hodgson, what makes Hodgson such an interesting writer and much of his work, UH, is that he we really probes the question of alien intelligence. What a lot of what you and I have been talking about in the past few minutes in this regard, we could even think back, perhaps to the squid jokes that might not be funny to us, because these disciplined military formations of squids what seemed to demonstrate a high intelligence, a very sophisticated intelligence, and an intelligence that's directed at us humans in a way that is about as discomforting as I think is possible, and that is thinking of us humans as the resources for the squid economy. So the question would be what use would humans be to a squid civilization? How can humans be exploited by squid intelligence? And that really goes against everything that we want to say about ourselves and relation to our fellow creatures, and about our view of ourselves as the only dominant intelligent force on the planet. And I think it's it's as much Tim Murphy suggests and throughout his discussion of weird fiction, since weird fiction is pretty far removed from le say, mainstream fiction, that's the kind of question that weird fiction can ask that other forms of literary inquiry, or other forms of scientific or just oracle inquiry really cannot venture into. And that's I think the value of weird fiction and the value of learning how to read the myths and legends of ancient times and the theological accounts of other cultures in a less skeptical way, perhaps in a more open minded sense of seeing that maybe we're not the only intelligence and maybe there are other ways of engaging intelligently with the world.
Speaker 1: Excellent. Well, you know, finally, one last question here after reading the book, I have a couple of guesses about what your answer might be. But do you have a favorite squid species?
Speaker 3: Oh? Absolutely, I don't even have to hesitate. My favorite squid is a little apart from the traditional favorite squid. The favorite squid. I think it generally is the giant squid because of all the lore uh that's growing up around the millennia. But I really became fascinated by the Humboldt squid, the the Cica gigas right, which is about five feet long. It's also referred to as the red devil because it has plenty of lore of its own. So that we hear over and over again that sailors fall from the boats they're fishing boats, and they're immediately devoured by swarms of of Humboldt squids who chump them to pieces.
Speaker 1: And uh.
Speaker 3: There there are videos on YouTube of of underwater cameramen being attacked by uh one of these five foot long UH squids coming after him and ripping his oxygen hose and and so on. And of course, these these are the squids that defy explanation and their ability to to pass through areas of the ocean where there's there is no oxygen uh and and where they're not supposed to be able to go, and yet they do. And they're also hunted in large numbers for their uh giant axons uh and and their flesh and their fears and and I think because of their adaptability, uh, their voraciousness. And I'll just add this one detail. There's one weird, weird lead the delightful video of some scientists putting a camera on a humble squid to see see how it interacts with other humbold squids or what it does weigh down and the ocean depth. But the video will only lasts a few seconds because you can tell the squid is descending and then immediately another squid approaches in Egypt, so the free just goes blank. So that that aggression, even to cannibalism of one's schoolmates, of maybe one even one's family, that's consumable. All that is alien and it's right to the heart of why I wanted to write the book.
Speaker 1: Excellent. Well again for everyone out there that the book is Squid. It is part of Reactions Animal series. It's available in physical and digital formats. And now that I know that you also have one on the Fox, I'm gonna have to pick that up as well. I'm instantly thinking of all the various folkloresounding the fox and the secretive nature.
Speaker 3: Oh great, great, just just put a plug out. Let me say that. Uh, there are hundreds different Animals Covered and Reactions series, and really all those books have a great deal to offer. They all all the different authors have their own approaches to particular animals. Not everyone as training in literature as I am. They're scientists, sociologists, historians, journalists, you name it. Uh, so many people have been intrigued by how to how to talk about an animals and what it means to try to understand, uh, the relevance of one animal to human life and culture.
Speaker 1: Thanks allent well, thanks for being on the show, Martin.
Speaker 3: Sure Rob, thank you for inviting me. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: All right. Thanks again to Martin Wallin for taking time out of his day to chat with me again. The book is Squid from twenty twenty one, part of the Reaction Animal series, which also includes Wallin's book on the Fox. Walin's other works include Whose Dog Are You? The Technology of Dog Breeds and The Aesthetics of Modern Human Canine Relations and A City of Health, Fields of Disease, Revolutions in the Poetry, Medicine and Philosophy of Romanticism. As always, if you want to listen to other episodes of Stuff to Blow your mind, you can find them in the Stuff to Blow your Mind podcast feed, which you'll get wherever you find your podcast. Core science and culture episodes published on Tuesdays and Thursdays, listener mail on Monday's short form Artifact or Monster Fact on Wednesdays, and on Friday, we set aside most serious concerns and just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. If you'd like to reach out to me or Joe or any of us here at the show, simply drop us an email at contact at stuff to blow your Mind dot com. Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to your favorite shows,