Speaker 1: So they started getting the attention of national newspapers, Chart Observer, New York Times and all by these raids on the town, taking independent farmers out, flag and of course he had lynchings going on throughout South. But when they started raiding his towns, like what the headlines says, Kentucky town raided and burned by night riders. This is post Civil War and the Norse still kind of looked upon the South as being violent. Anyway, around that time, we had had Fields McCoy's and Kentucky especially, It's always had a reputation dark and bloody land. It's always be had of bloody history.
Speaker 2: On this finale episode, the tobacco wars of Kentucky and Tennessee are in full swing and the stage is set for a showdown between the Tobacco Planners Association for the poor farmers and the corporate giant known as the Duke Trust. And they're American Tobacco Company. The players are as old as time. It's the rich versus the poor, but the difference between the good guys and the bad guys remains blurred. The region known as the Black Patch grows the finest dark fired tobacco in the world.
Speaker 3: But the struggle is much bigger.
Speaker 2: Than tobacco, and the tools of terror are arson, beatings and sabotage meant to impact the national economy, but did it even really work. I really doubt that you're gonna want to miss this one.
Speaker 1: It reminded me we were going to one of these speeches somewhere years ago, and on the way there, Paul said, you're not gonna You're not gonna give them the whole ball of works, are you. I said, what do you mean I'm gonna give? I mean tell the whole You're not gonna tell the whole story again? And I said, well you don't. It's a little hard to just tell in sound bites.
Speaker 2: My name is Klay nukemb and this is the Bear Grease Podcast, where we'll explore things forgotten but relevant, search for insight and unlikely places, and where we'll tell the story of Americans who lived their.
Speaker 3: Lives close to the land.
Speaker 2: Presented by FHF Gear, American made purpose built hunting and fishing gear that's designed to be as rugged as the place as we explore.
Speaker 1: I spoke the Other Knight to a group in Princeton and Princeton Kentucky going up there talking to that group about the night Riders, or it's like going to the Vatican and talking about Catholicism. I mean they have the Black Patch Parade. Had David Amos lived there, his home was there. They have Tobica les engraved on the side of the courthouse, in the structure of it. I mean some of them, they can stand there and tell you about how their uncles was so and so.
Speaker 2: That was Bill Cunningham, a former Kentucky Supreme Court justice and the author of the book On Bended Knees about the night Rider Tobacco Wars between nineteen oh four and nineteen oh nine. He painted a clear picture of the significance of tobacco and how it's long been etched into the culture of Kentucky. And when things are that important, they become culturally heightened because of the potential gain or ruin in their wake. But the high stakes also make them a potential tinder box of chaos, unrest, and even violence. But a gauge of something's cultural importance often is found in music, and tobacco often shows up in the music about Kentucky. I can't vouch for the character of outlaw country musicians David allen Coe, not even a little bit. But I've respected him as a songwriter since I was a teenager, and I want to listen to one of his songs. And if why Harlan County is in Kentucky.
Speaker 1: If folks in Harlan County.
Speaker 4: Lord, they knew we were born Still It's called my Daddy, Preacher Dan, But Daddy weren't no preacher.
Speaker 5: The sweet I.
Speaker 4: Don't recollect ever, Heir of Popaul talk of nothing but the land, and Daddy was here.
Speaker 5: Was read Lord.
Speaker 2: That song is called Daddy was a god fearing man. The pastoral imagery of an uneducated but godfear and farmer is strong in the lore of rural America, and it paints the picture of poverty, purity, naivity, and the righteous work ethic of some one whose hands are calloused by rocks and dirt. What's not overtly said, but is implied, is that this song is being listened to with the contextual backdrop of a rapidly urbanizing and industrialized America, and by leaning into this romantic idea of the farmer, tapping into its nostalgia, which Americans love to do. In a way, it's pitting the agrarian way of life against the urban industrial America, which clearly dominates the national hegemon. But listen to the next verse and listen for the mention of America's old smoky friend.
Speaker 4: Saint really always screw tobag of the old heat and not smoke yourself, and the bag drum around, and he never touched to drop the flicker that I can't recall combam is living on the ground.
Speaker 3: Yes, tobacco, you heard it.
Speaker 2: And I've got to admit that this is one of my favorite songs of all time. And it wouldn't be until I understood the significance of tobacco farming in this region that I really got it.
Speaker 4: It was Lord Heaven.
Speaker 5: Far grown out.
Speaker 2: Being the best tobacco farmer around was a thing of rural prestige, where families passed on generational knowledge about this crop that became a source of pride. But not far from the surface, its foundation was in the financial uplift it brought to families. Like most things in society, it all went back to money. But I think there's some potential inherent philosophical flaws in this song. It's idealistic to believe that simply by being a farmer that you have some inherent righteousness or pure lifestyle. And don't get me wrong, I'm prone to buy into the nostalgic stereotype myself. I love farmers. But why this story of these tobacco farming night writers is so interesting? Because these good hearted farmers did some pretty dark stuff when empowered under the cover of darkness, black masks, and a righteous mission against a corporate criminal. I'm here to decide if they were justified, and even think about where I would have stood if I lived during that time. To rehash the high points of this story, The Dark Fired Tobacco Planters Protection Association was formed in nineteen oh four to protect the interest of the tobacco farmers as prices plummeted because of the monopoly of the Duke True American Tobacco. The trust monopolized the buying of tobacco, forcing farmers to sell at a deficit, wrecking the economies of the regions built around tobacco. So the Tobacco Association formed to monopolize the selling. In nineteen oh four, they had five thousand members, but by nineteen oh six they had twenty five thousand. The Night Riders formed as the unofficial clandestine strong arm of the Association, whose first mission was to get all the tobacco farmers of the region to join the association, but the mission gradually shifted to beatings, sabotaging non association members crops, and large scale arson.
Speaker 1: But there were violence that broke out, and other places could took it to sea. Maybe I'd say all the states that grew Tovaica, but they were just kind of sporadic. You had this well all well structured military type organization only here in West Kentucky. That's one of the things that makes it fascinate.
Speaker 2: In the last episode, Bill told us how this was the time period when America was sorting out the issues between labor and capital.
Speaker 3: The workers versus corporate interests.
Speaker 2: The struggle was happening everywhere and in things outside of tobacco farming. But according to Bill's book, this was the most sustained violence and unrest in America between the Civil War and the race rights of the nineteen sixties. But the tobacco War wasn't just instigated by farmers, but by other people that didn't even grow tobacco.
Speaker 1: So I've kind of come around to think well economically was one of the problems was then being the only in carriage crop. Your banker depended on it, the grocery store guy who you bought money on credit. So the business is small. Business had an economy dependency on the success of darkfire tobacco, and when it wasn't successful, they didn't get paid, So they had an economic interest in But I think that probably maybe half the people approved of what they were trying to get done and but disagree with the method.
Speaker 2: Where tobacco grew. It was a cash crop that people used to live above subsistence, which is important. And as they say, a rising tide lifts all boats. You probably remember clips from the historic interview from the mid nineteen eighties where our guy right here, Bill Cunningham interviewed the then ninety seven year old Joe Scott. So in the nineteen eighties, this guy was ninety seven years old who at the time was the last living night writer. Here's Joe Scott responding to a pivotal question of why tobacco prices fell, This was the reason for the war. The audio isn't perfect with old Joe, but it's worth it. So hanging there.
Speaker 5: Firel prices down.
Speaker 6: What happened?
Speaker 3: What caused the prices to go down?
Speaker 6: Well, but the way I look at it, these tobacco companies they would get about four times as much. Say we got it, we got three and a half four dollars, and they get about twenty twenty twenty five trus They didn't make it about four and five times as much as what you get it. They get all the four dollars there. We wouldn't getting nothing. They would getting it all though. She wasn't no way, wasn't no way of changing them, and they had in their head they wasn't going to change. You see, the government wouldn't do a thing about it. Don't see these lawyers wouldn't do nothing. Bucks, they wouldn't do nothing.
Speaker 2: Buts the tobacco companies were making four and five times as much as the farmer. Does that sound familiar today? He said, the government wasn't helping and there was no way of changing them. You can hear the frustration in his voice even eighty years later. The Tobacco Association felt justified at whatever means they needed, so their unofficial strong arm, called the night Riders, took charge. But who were these guys. They were masked, they were clandestine. This is Bill referencing why Joe Scott was talking late in his life.
Speaker 1: Well, he says, the only reason he's talking now because they're all dead. Nobody put him in his grave. And I think, you know, you get old, I get like, I'm like this kind of now. You hear him talking about all this story, wasting your time, Joe Scott. If you watched this interview with him, you see what kind of man he was at one hundred. I can imagine what he was like at eighteen and what you would have been at eighteen nine. And I think a lot of them just teenage boys. This is as good as it gets.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you look back in history and wonder why people did what they did. I think Bill's assessment of these were young boys saying and thinking this is as good as it gets is a good assessment because that can be a license to be reckless, and people still do that today. The first couple of years, the Night Rid's primary job was to convince tobacco farmers to join the association and not sell to the Duke Trust. It was simple because some joined and other tobacco farmers just wouldn't and when they went on these outings, they called it going on a visit, which varied from a cordial conversation if a person was cooperative to a nighttime front yard beaten. Here's Joe Scott on why he went on these visits and later on these raids. It's a little hard to understand, but it's such an incredible interview it's worth it. Yeah, they kind of left it ap to you on whether or not to go, though they didn't order you too well.
Speaker 6: I said it when you look right down in borland him short of not say nothing, said he go make you have a different feelings, you know it. That's where you now said I might be a token too much. I looked down and go and thorough take a little not to tell this thing that I've told it now. So Joe getting in troubled.
Speaker 5: Left nobody there, nobody left.
Speaker 6: You're the last well, I know, but there some some gun might be just a little smaller than you are.
Speaker 5: He might pick up something longer.
Speaker 6: Huh, yeah, we take care of you that I might pick up something more. Are there any are you probably the last one left?
Speaker 5: Word don't know it?
Speaker 6: No, no, no, he moves, I said, I not that I know of.
Speaker 1: Thank you the last one.
Speaker 2: It's interesting to hear the old man still hesitant to talk about the night Riders. But he was the last one. Remember, Joe didn't view anything he did personally as criminal. He was fighting a criminal, the Duke Trust. Do you think any of the people that that you might have been in on taking out to whip do you think any of them are still around?
Speaker 6: No? No them around either.
Speaker 2: When you when you did take somebody out, tell me about, tell me about what would happen? Well, you you'd ride toward them, and how would all that happen?
Speaker 6: Well, and most of them, most of them come out telling you they wouldn't go to do so, And so they tell them what you've been talking to us.
Speaker 2: He said, you.
Speaker 6: Wouldn't go to visit there's none of our business. You wouldn't go to the Barker. I'm still going to stay with with a company, you know, and so on, and we we think you were it, and give you all the invitation in the worlds quick enough by the buck, and you're going ahead, blue Hiddings and we're going to work. I'm not afraid, not any of this that time. They just so they didn't take much word about.
Speaker 5: They just take your whip.
Speaker 6: They go to WHOOPI wasn't I'm about full five for we get older two and old each home. You know what it is trailed around us and some of the observer three two thousand for fuels.
Speaker 3: Son, he said, they'd take you out and whip you over. Son.
Speaker 2: That's if you were bullheaded and kept selling to the Duke Trust. In American tobacco, the night Riders had three intimidation tools in their belt and a personal visit and whooping was option one. Option two was sabotaging or scraping a non association.
Speaker 3: Member's tobacco beds.
Speaker 2: And this meant while your entire year's crop was just starting to come up, they'd go out at night and destroy it and it would be too late to start over. They called the people that did this hoe totors as they were doing this work with a whole at night. Thirdly, and what would be the most destructive task of the Night Writers were these military style raids into cities where they'd take over a whole city and burn down the tobacco barns of the Duke Trust, causing enormous physical and financial damage because the private beatings just weren't working.
Speaker 1: Nineteen oh five and October nineteen oh five, then you move it now. That's when I think these individuals flags and everything happened fairday click because by the summer nineteen oh six, David Amos, probably in the conference with Youing was saying, look, these boys are having a lot of fun with this, but we're not changing the prices. Nothing's happening. We've got to attack the Duke Trust where it hurts, and that's in the pocket Book. That's when they kind of shifted away from the infliction of punishment upon the Independence to destroying the Tobaica owned by the American Tobacco Company, and that was their raids on Princeton, Russellville, Hopkinsville, Eddieville. You know this book. I wrote this book at the perfect time because up the time I wrote, nobody talked about it. So I had an opportunity. Don't only talked to Joe Scott, also had opportunity to talk to another sententarium, one hundred year old S. M. Martin, who was a former marshall. He was the marshall of Eddyville the night that the Night Writers rated Eddyville. And if you read the book, you know, I quote some in there from sem Martin. On December first, nineteen o six, they rated Princeton Nightriares three hundred strong, burned the warehouses and made their way out highly successful, about three hundred of them. They came into town past midnight. They took the fire brigade hostage. They took the police department hostage. They took the telephone ladies at the switchboard and held them based so they couldn't call out for help. They came in and burned two warehouses, caused a lot of damage, and then the congregated in the court Ell Square and they rode out of town together singing to the tune of Old Kentucky Home. The burn the fires burned bright from my old Kentucky home. Highly succession, The fires burn bright right on my.
Speaker 5: Old Kentucky home.
Speaker 1: It's some and everyone's gay.
Speaker 5: The corn tops rap and.
Speaker 3: The medals are emblem while the burns.
Speaker 5: They make music all day.
Speaker 3: In Princeton, Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Under the instruction of the country doctor and the leader of the night Riders, this medical doctor David Amos, He led three hundred masked armed men on horseback and the military formation into town.
Speaker 3: Took the whole place.
Speaker 2: Hostage men soaked the two Duke Trust in American tobacco barns with kerosene and dynamite and lit them on fire, and within minutes there was a giant explosion and raging inferno as four hundred thousand pounds of Trust tobacco went up in flames and the barns of the Tobacco Planners Association were untouched. You can start to see the logic. If the association is the only one with tobacco to sell, the Trust will have to subject themselves to the prices demanded by the association. It seems like a fell proof plan. Insurance companies started to drop the policies on Duke Trust barns all across the region. People lived in terror, and many people even moved out of the Black Patch to get away from the chaos. People could only guess where it would happen next, because there were tobacco barns all across the South and this was going on in other parts of the South. Just the Black Patch was the main place, and it was partly because there was only one country. Doctor slash military mastermind slash defender of the poor farmers, Doctor David Amos. You'll get to decide if he was a villain or if he was a hero. But his operations were the apex of the tobacco.
Speaker 1: Wars, so buddy, and then they had raids here on Eddyville, basically a similar thing. He is raded on Eddyville that there were some pretty severe beatings and they destroyed some warehouses. That was later on in nacke O seventh they raided Russellville, Kentucky did the same thing. But then in December, December the seventh, they planned the big raid on Hopkinsville.
Speaker 2: Hopkinsville would be the big raid. That was the straw that broke the mules back. Here's Joe Scott. I wonder which raids he went to.
Speaker 6: How many raids did you go?
Speaker 1: Walk?
Speaker 6: And I guess well, I went to hopkins Ville red and he went to his raids and took the view. Then I went to Bennett's raid. Then I went around. We went to free HUDs that's night because they didn't do nothing.
Speaker 1: We just at the locators. I was about for full raids, three fool rates.
Speaker 2: Joe said he went to Eddieville, Hopkinsville and Bennett's raids. This is an interesting section where Joe talks more about doctor David Amos and something that happened at Hopkinsville.
Speaker 6: The first one was he described him to us oh Amas Tall. I always called him psychoge the old eggs.
Speaker 5: You know it was a pretty good speaker.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, he didn't talk very loud, but he he he made business on his words. He know, you know, he placed them all where he wanted him to go.
Speaker 5: You know, you well.
Speaker 6: Like I said, he had the sound goal, lead off and more.
Speaker 5: I guess, I guess.
Speaker 6: I guess he had every man the name ever talked to him. He didn't, he didn't. He didn't talk too much. He didn't talk, he didn't talk too much, but he said he meant it though he was that away. He said he read he was at hopkins Jim says, I know Hawkins will was just like i'd the way he sees and I guess he did. He knew where the police over man and another room man got shot apparent of that night. I don't know. I don't remember who he was.
Speaker 2: I find it interesting that this leader Amos wasn't a flashy speaker. He just meant what he said. That's probably good leadership advice. Joe mentioned that only one guy got shot that night. Well, I'll let you take a guess who that was.
Speaker 1: And David Amos wrote, riding in a bug and he was leading. They gathered from all different areas and about three hundred went into Pompkinsville and they took over the streets, took over the fire department brigade and put them their custody, and they destroyed two or three of the Tobico warehouses there and as they were leaving. Before they were leaving, David Amlos was wounded by one of his own proofs accident.
Speaker 2: The Hopkinsville raid took place on November seventh, nineteen oh seven, and over four hundred mass riders taken over the town and just like in Princeton, it took over the police station, the fire station, cut the phone lines, and took over the state Militia armory, and then they lit the Duke Trust tobacco barns on fire. However, in Hopkinsville there was a backfire. The Association barns were close to the Duke Trust barns and they all ended up burning, creating massive chaos and even destruction to the Association members. It was reported that over three hundred thousand dollars in damages were done that night, which would be equivalent to millions to day. When the fires stopped, it was reported that the Methodist church had thirty two bullet holes, the local judge's house had eight bullet holes, and they shot one hundred and seventy five rounds into the office of the city judge. It was massive economic run and it spread terror throughout the black Patch. And after it was all over, doctor David Amos would survive the gunshot wound. Here's more from Bill.
Speaker 1: There was one humorous story that came out of that. Charles Meacham was a newspaper editor and mayor Hopfield and he ran the newspaper The Kentucky. He was adam an anti night rider. See you getting back. There were people in places of influence that were ran against the night rartor here heard the mayor of Hopkinsville also the newspaper editor. So the night riters wanted to get him and give him a good beating mother or there, and they started looking for him, and Meecham went downtown because he's the mayor of the town's on fire. They see him, they start chasing him down through the streets. He runs down this alleyway that dead end out there next to the Baptist church. He thinks he's been had, but he looks over toward the basement of the Baptist church and here was one of these coal shoots going down in it, if you remember the coal shoots, and before they put the coal in it for the first he's just barely able to get in that coal shoot and slides down into the basement of the Babtist church and it escapes the night Riders because these are all God fearing man people who don't think we can go into church and do this. So he escaped, but the night Riders had a lot of fun out of him because they said that Charles means the only sprinkled Methodist saint saving a water dunk in Baptist church.
Speaker 3: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: Years after Bill wrote his book, he would find some evidence that brought the facts of that cute little story into question. But a good story is a good story, especially when it's making fun of Methodists.
Speaker 3: Just kidding, well, sort of.
Speaker 2: But here's an update on how things were going on the macro scale of the Association's By nineteen oh seven, the Tobacco Association was selling ninety percent, that's ninety percent of all tobacco grown in the black patch, and prices had gone back up to seven cents per pound from three to four cents. It seemed to be working. However, history will later reveal whether the price increase was caused by the Night Riders or other factors in the market that had nothing to do with them. Nineteen oh seven to nineteen oh eight were the most active years of the Night Riders, and it's when these military style terror raids started making national headlines.
Speaker 1: So they started getting the attention of national newspapers, Chart Observer, New York Times and all by these raids on the town that, you know, taking independent farmers out flag. Of course he had Lynching's going on through it. So but when they started raiding his towns like what the headlines says, could think it was a Charlotte Observer maybe in the New York town said Kentucky town raided and burned by night Riders and all that went down, of course, and got all that was a high watermark was the hopkins Field raids. This is post Civil War, and the Knower still kind of looked upon the South as being violent anyway. So so what I think around that time, we had had fields McCoy's and Kentucky especially, It's always had a reputation dark and bloody land, and it's always been a head of bloody history.
Speaker 2: The Hopkinsville raid in nineteen oh seven was at the pinnacle of the night riders dirty deeds in the black Patch. But what we haven't figured out yet is whether this was working to bring the prices of tobacco back up. Remember, this whole thing is about the poor farmers fighting a corporate criminal monopoly. We've just discussed two of five major raids where hundreds of thousands of dollars of trust tobacco were destroyed and Association tobacco, So it seems like it would have to be significant, But maybe it wasn't because the black patch is relatively small compared to where tobacco has grown. But what was wild is that they could never catch these night writers and prosecute them. This was before massive video surveillance, fingerprinting, DNA collection at crime scenes, and they just couldn't catch these guys. But more than anything, most people were afraid to talk because they'd be snitching on family or friends. In these tight knit communities. But the beginning of the end for the night Writers involved a woman named Mary Lou Holloway from Princeton, Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Very Lou Hollowood was running a boarding house there. She was good looking, which made her unpopular with the women, and she was opinionated, which made her unpopular with the men. And she'd go about blashing the night rider at Burbally. It kind of tolerated because John On Hallowell, her brother in law, was ahead of the night rudders and Harwell came. But then she said, in April nineteen o seven, she said, I'm going to go to the Grand jury and get a lot of people indicted who were involved in this raid on Princeton. I heard conversations in my boarding house dining room named I know who is involved. I heard admissions being made. I'm going to get it in dank. So she went over to the courthouse and the Grand juris in session, went up there and knocked on the door. They let her testify and she started telling them all this stuff. Well ploy half of the grand jury or night Riders, so they weren't going to die anybody. But then they told the night riders. John hollywell, look we got to do something to get out of control, said okay, we'll teach her a little lesson. So they sent them night writers out to scrape her plant beds. I'm matre to tell you about the plant bed. You scraped the plant beds, they may not be able to get out of crop. Plant ate scraped to the plant beds that night. Well, Mary Lou blew a gasket and said, I know who did this. Your brother in law, John Holliwa did this. And well, we're not going to tole Reve. And then about a week later, John Hollowell's plant bed gets scraped, So that call for the sheriff to come out to investigate because the night rider of plant bed got scraped. He went out there and it was really a clumsy job. They found the day book they belonged to there where the scraping took place. Of Steve's shot and he worked for Mary Lou. They found a trail in the do leading up to Ned Pettitt's house. He'd also worked by work. So they get those boys and take them downtown to sweat a confession out of them. You have Marrily who paid his five dollars to go out there and scrape the plant bed Then they decided, since the scraping the plant beds didn't have their to have to go and do something more drastic. So they went out there on made first to her house. They circled it, they started shooting into it and threatened to burn the house down if it didn't come out. And they come out and they beat Robert tying around that big hacked their tree to beat him, and she was trying to protect him to beat her too, and she got flying glass cut her from the gunshots and all that, and they told him that they didn't get out of county, they're gonna be killed.
Speaker 2: Mary lew and Robert would flee out of state, but would go gather up some good lawyers and come back to Kentucky and press charges against the night Riders.
Speaker 1: They came back, he filed a suit in federal district court in Baduka. Federal court at that time they drew their jury from all the way up to Louisville. So now they're gonna have geors and they're not gonna have sympathy. First jury trial had a militia and Baduka had bodyguards for Robert Mary lou they came back hung jury. Second trial, I got thirty five thousand dollars verdict, which is like millions today. So that was the beginning of the end.
Speaker 2: Mary lou Win in thirty five grand in federal court against the Night Riders started the ball rolling towards the public sentiment turning on the terror and destruction of the group. Other cases started to pop up and people started winning suits against the Night Riders. Additionally, the mission started to drift, and the Night Riders, empowered by masks and power, started being more vigilante and personal and less mission focused, and they started doing a bunch of stuff not connected to this tobacco mission. And additionally, in nineteen oh seven, a new governor was elected on a law and order ticket, and during this campaign he guaranteed that he'd stop the Night Writers. But at this point, the Night Writers were winning the war, and the governor would call in the state militia to guard some cities and these tobacco warehouses that they thought might be targets. But here's another interesting data point, because we're only looking at the Night Writers. You know, these guys that are defending the poor farmers, But what about the huge corporate monopoly of the Duke Trust. In nineteen oh seven, the tobacco tycoon Buck Duke, James Buck Duke, his personal net worth was around two hundred million dollars. Two hundred million is an enormous amount of wealth in nineteen oh seven. Could these raids destroying a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of tobacco really matter to the Duke Trust?
Speaker 3: Prices had gone back up?
Speaker 2: But was it because the Tobacco Association and the Night Writers was what they did effective?
Speaker 6: Think?
Speaker 1: You know, the whole essence of it. Although all that is pretty much romantic, it wasn't really very effective. People asked me, you know, we'd like to think, well, we stood up to the Duke Trust and by God we made them give in, and all I don't even know the Duke giving to you about all this stuffer on. People asked me who won? Did the light Writers win? I said, no, Knight Writers don't win democracy one. But the beauty of what this story represents is, yes there's violence, and yes there's lawlesses, but in the end, law and order prevailed in the courts. The victims and all got they got the justice in the courts system, so that became a deterrent. That's what really killed the night Riders was here in this area were all the civil suits whenever they success was successful in the Baduka case, thirty five thousand dollars verdict against guys that are out there because they're in the organization, because they don't have any money to start with, and then the whole energy just shifts.
Speaker 2: The whole energy of the movement really shifted when doctor David Amos, a night Rider's leader, was prosecuted for the burning of Hopkinsville. As you listened to the section, let me remind you that Bill Cunningham was a member of the Kentucky Supreme Court and a judge his whole career.
Speaker 1: He had a couple of informants that turned and gave the state's evidence against Amos, and then no question that he was guilty, and he denied it. He brought some people in that kind of tried to establish it. He of a lot of lying going on. At ninety he said he wasn't involved in it. He was an all male jewelry, some farmers. They found him not guilty then though he was by that time running from lawsuits because they all sued him as the other PRIs he was. He was hiding out for seven or eight months trying to avoid the service of the marshals on the summons, on the lawsuits. The verdict in the Hopkinsville in nineteen eleven is not so important as it was that they prosecuted him, because the attitude toward him has changed it up where the politicians feel politically safe in prosecuting him and the quandarant all that has always been the herero Old David Amos lied under oath, but he was in a conflicting situation. He had two olds s. He had taken one to the Knight Writers to be loyal, not to divulge any enfany blah blah blah blah blah, and then he picked that oath to fallow and stood the one imposed by the law, you know, and testifying in trial. Well, naturally, I can't approve of it. I can't approve of it, but I've sent a lot of people with the penitentiary that I sympathize with. I've sent a lot of people that I know why these kids, like that I knew his daddy daddy abused him, or that I had a lot of sympathy for him. So no, I don't approve it. I can't approve it, sworn numerous times uphold the Constitution in the law, but I have a great empathy and sympathy with them, just like moonshining. Moonshining in this area back during the Great Depression, my dad and his friendows that's the way they survived. Would I approve breaking the law, No, but I have greep sympathy.
Speaker 2: For It's interesting to me the sympathy the South has for moonshines. One of my good friends once asked me play will history one day look back and have sympathy for today's meth dealers? And it's point, wise is that alcohol has destroyed more families and people than probably anything.
Speaker 3: But to get back to our story.
Speaker 2: In the end, doctor David Amos went free, was never convicted even though they knew he was guilty.
Speaker 3: So how does that work?
Speaker 2: I want to hear why the judicial system failed or did it?
Speaker 1: It was? It was? It was what we call jury nullification. You ever heard that term. I've had many people when I was trial and come with attorney, were frustrating for become with attorney. This guy is guilty as hell, we we ain't see him as the penitentiary, and we're the ones that called the shot. You gave us the law beyond reading. Yeah, we believe he's guilty. We believe he's given. I think it was a jury nullification where they say, hey, it's not this is all over. It's been a good country doctor, had all these character witness he's given the poor. He's done. He's sitting over with his wife, and you know, nineteen eleven, I think you just said we're not We're going to end it right here.
Speaker 2: Jury notification. That's a new one to me, and I'm conflicted on it. In some cases, I could see how this judicial trick could be used for good when a guilty person just doesn't deserve what the law prescribes as punishment. But it also sounds like it could be misapplied in a good old boy system, letting some go, letting others go pay the price. But by nineteen oh nine, tables fully turned and the night rider movement came to an end. But it came to an end because they weren't needed anymore. So when you hear why, you'll wonder if their plan really worked.
Speaker 1: The economics of the country change Ao stand they got the Tobiquo attacks. Repeal consumption started going up about nineteen oh seven nineteen oh eight. About that time and New York Federal Corps Appeals ruled that the American Tobacco Company was in violation of the Sherman anti trust law and they were going to have to break up their monopoly. By in nineteen eleven Man that was affirmed by the US Supreme Court. So Duke had to break his trust down. Well, he was just as wealthy afterwards, but it affected the monopoly out here. So the pricius went up, and then the mood really changed.
Speaker 2: On November seventh, nineteen oh eight, the Duke Trust's American Tobacco Company was declared a monopoly.
Speaker 3: This was huge. This is what Joe Scott was saying all along.
Speaker 2: So at the end of this the Tobacco Association was right and they were fighting a righteous war against the corporate criminal. The other efforts were isolated in a small area and tobacco was being grown in many other parts of the country. You can't help but think these five years of disruption to the tobacco industry gained the attention of the nation. This is a complex story. And if you look at it trying to decide who the good and bad guys are, it can be confusing because the good guys, sure as heck weren't the Duke Trust, corporate tobacco criminals where they But you can't approve of the terror beating and the arts and the night writers. Where do you think you would have stood if you would have been alive during this time and lived in.
Speaker 3: The black Patch.
Speaker 2: Here's Bill talking about writing this book and a mistake that he made.
Speaker 1: I wanted to be sure I was fair in a projective because I had family roots and my grandfather was probably a night writer, and I've heard rumblings in my family, so I want to be sure I was fair in a projective. The Night Writer. There are a bunch of outlaws, really, and we get right. When I was writing this book, I was district attorney, so I didn't want to come out this year attorney making heroes. These guys so be balanced, and it was never had anybody complained it was biased? The mistake I made in the book. The book makes it sound like that the opponents the Night Writer, I use the term sometimes a thin minority. I'm convinced now it was not a thin minority. It was probably the majority. I think that the night writers were probably a minority, but the rest of them went along out of fear. What makes me say that is the governor of Kentucky got elected Willison. Governor Wilson got elected on a law and order plank that he was going to put down the night wriuter, and he took all kinds of measures, sitting in the militia and all that to suppress these uprisings in East Town. We were occupied in Murrie, Kentucky was occupied by troops during the Civil War, Union troops during the Civil War, and then also the state militia less than forty years later. Well, people asked you who won? I said, democracy won. Good guy, bad guy. Well they're both right and they're both wrong.
Speaker 2: I like it when someone is able to objectively evaluate their work.
Speaker 1: I think that's the romance of it. I mean, it's all American story. You watched Netflex when that take on the corporation, who who? Who poisoned our streams? The big corporations are painted at being bad guys, And this was one where and that was the image I had really growing up. But I like everything else they're not all good, not all bad.
Speaker 3: I want to ask Bill what he thinks we should learn from all this.
Speaker 1: I think I think we learn what a great country we have, that we can absorb these types of men, these things and survive. Just like, how did we survive for two hundreds thirty years on a written document that they were doctors were bleeding people when it was written, it took you months to get across how we survived. And I think it shows because of law, because of democracy. Al Stanley responded by going to the legislature, then the needs of the people and got the Tobiaco attacks. Responded the court system, courageous judges, courageous jury. The court system came down here and said, no, this is wrong, guys, you have all done these people damage. We're gonna give you thirty five thousand dollars. It was the majesty of the law that's up. And so that's what we learned from it. And this, this struggle, I mean, is overthrown governments all over this world, the struggle between the poor and the rich and usually ends up first anarchy and then the despot. But here we just law and order got us through it. And they had a Christopher Craney jury. They didn't send David AMers the penitentiary, and because they had some there were a certain amount of sympathy and compassion. So I think that's what we learned for it does work, but he takes people. I've learned this being a public servant for fifty years. You can hear the best system in the world. You still in the end, who got to help good people to stand up and do what's right? And you got to have citizens like Mary loom Plie. She wasn't the only one either.
Speaker 2: There's an odd irony at the end of this story. After James Buck Duke dismantled his tobacco company, he was still enormously wealthy and was interested in leaving a family legacy. There was a little college down there in North Carolina called Trinity College in Raleigh. According to Bill's book, in December of nineteen twenty four, less than a year before Duke's death, he paid Trinity College six million dollars to change its name to Duke University. Yeah, that's Christian Latner's Duke. I'll leave you with a nice big chunk of irony about the man who was the first professor at the Duke University School of Medicine.
Speaker 1: He was the first professor of medicine at Duke University and his name was it was herold Amos and he was Ja David Amos's son.
Speaker 2: I can't thank you enough for listening to Bear Grease and Brent's This Country Life podcast. Please leave us a review on iTunes and share our podcasts.
Speaker 3: With somebody this week.
Speaker 2: We really thank you for all the support that you've shown, Meat Eater and First Light, which all this allows us.
Speaker 3: To bring you these stories every week.
Speaker 2: And what keeps us all united is our love of wild places.
Speaker 3: So keep the wild places wild. That's where the bears live.