Speaker 1: Cut booms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a sol fastion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto cutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow to Clearinghouse of hot.
Speaker 2: Takes, break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Mallard starts right now.
Speaker 3: In the air everywhere, The Fifth Hour with Ben Mahlor and not Not Danny g Radio this week as we hang out with you on a Friday, the eighth day of March, Danny the Fly in Hawaiian as he talked about over the weekend as he's hanging out. He's been in Hawaii all week with the family on vacation and in his place. Now, we spun the wheel of celebrities, and we had big names, big names on the wheel of celebrity. Who are we going to bring in here? Like who's he gonna be? We're gonna go back to the Fox Sports Radio archive and bring in like Tony Bruno, Or.
Speaker 1: Would we go to Steven A Smith who used to work here.
Speaker 3: Maybe we'd go like a Hollywood star Bradley Cooper, maybe j Moore who worked at the company, and we spun the wheel round and round and we got something better than all of those people.
Speaker 1: The Vegan, my friend, Alex, the Vegan. What's going on, Alex? How you doing, Bud?
Speaker 4: Ben? It is not only an honor and privilege to sit down with you and do this immaculate show with your fans and giving them every single day more of you, but to be on that illustrious wheel, I feel like we're only underselling ourselves in some kind of aspect.
Speaker 1: Ben. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we actually copied that from the old game show of the Prices, right, which I think is still around, but it went down when Bob Barker, the old host left. But it's National proof Reading Day today. Wow, Alex, So do you proofread what you do?
Speaker 1: Or?
Speaker 4: I feel so confidence sometimes I just send it. I think I should more though, Yeah, but I.
Speaker 3: Don't know that you need to proofread as much these days because if you're typing on a computer or your phone, most of these things have like spellcheck, and they'll kind of correct you as you go along.
Speaker 1: It's not like you have to go back and go through the whole thing.
Speaker 3: But a buddy of mine who we've had on the podcast, Ken Levine, who is a writer, a Hollywood writer, and he always says, I don't know there is proofreading, but when you write something like go back after you've done it and just cut a bunch of stuff out, like there's too much, like trim the fat. You know, I get a piece of meat at the butcher shop and you got to kind of trim the fat away.
Speaker 1: And so I don't know.
Speaker 3: That counts as proofreading more like you editing being the person that kind of cleans up because and I'm guilty of this too, Like I'll write stuff and I'll put way too much in there, Yeah, and it becomes problematic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel that.
Speaker 4: You know what I've been a fan of Ben is actually voice memos. That's been my thing lately.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the voice members are good. And this is this is gonna I'm gonna date myself here, Lex. But I had in the my early days in radio, I had a program director named Bo Bennett. And Bo passed out to everyone at the radio station this little small pad of paper, right, a little small pad of paper, and he and he gave us all pens, and he he gave us this motivational speech. He's like, all right, here to be a good talk show host, I'm gonna give I've given each of you guys a little notepad, like it'll fit in the back of your your pants.
Speaker 1: He wanted us to walk around wherever we went, like we were wearing jeans or something.
Speaker 3: We put this notepad in the pen in the back of our pants, and then when we saw something that was interesting, just write.
Speaker 1: A little note so you remember it.
Speaker 3: And we all laughed at We all laughed at him and said, well, this guy's up, you know, douche. And but now here at my age, now, what I find myself doing throughout the day is I have I don't have a note pad, but on my phone I have the notes. Yes, yeah, the iPhone, I have the notes thing, which is not audio notes, but I'll what I'll do is a often just like speak into it and then it's kind of like the same thing, you know, it'll write down what I was thinking of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see something, and so that's incredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah for me, it's I do agree with you though, like the whole trimming the FATA text messages, because sometimes I get too articulate with myself I'm like almost going back and saying the same thing twice in a different way. So when I started using voice memos it on it's like, I also like my voice, Ben, I know you're a fan of your voice as well, So I like being able to use my voice and then kind of having more of a free flow range. It feels like it's more kind of like conscious in a sense, like rather than typing, I'm like, I have to like focus on spelling and make sure the spell check doesn't say them where I'm trying to say they or they. It's just it's it's so much more free flowing, and I feel like I have a better conversation with people when it sounds like we're talking.
Speaker 1: So a couple of things. Number one, I don't love my voice. What I don't?
Speaker 3: I am at a point now my I hate listening to myself really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I'll be walking.
Speaker 3: Around the hallways of the hollowed Fox Sports Radio building there the iHeartMedia building, and I'll hear promos for the show and I'll be like, oh, man, I could have done that better.
Speaker 1: You know that was I mean, that was all right, it could have been better.
Speaker 3: And then so I hate that but I I like my voice more now because I'm kind of grown up. When I started, I was a kid and I had my voice was not very.
Speaker 1: Deep, I guess, gotcha the way you could describe, Yes, you know, I was not a debonair. Man. There we go. Some things I guess hadn't.
Speaker 3: Dropped when you need to drop or whatever. And so over over time, uh that that I've I've become okay with it. But yeah, I I'm.
Speaker 1: One of those people.
Speaker 3: I want everything to be perfect and I hear stuff and I'm like, ah, that could have been so much better, Like I could have and I.
Speaker 1: Could have said that, you know, with a little bit of different tone. But you are right. Are our voices our musical instrument?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Spoken words? That's what we have.
Speaker 3: You're how many podcasts you got? Every time I talk to you, You've got another podcast, You're doing this, the anime stuff you got, You're doing motivational stuff. You're all over man, You're you're blowing up over there.
Speaker 4: I just feel like it's something that kind of just always takes its own way. Like I fel I'm a ship out at ocean, ben and whichever way the wind blows me, I just kind of sail towards it and see where it goes. Like That's been my main focus, like you said, was the shallow oceans. That's been a big proponent of mine because I've noticed so many people just haven't had just really succinct, honest opinion about just themselves and having an open conversation. That's why I love what I do so much with it because every time I sit down, Ben, I know this is polar opposite of yourself. I'll sit down with one idea, but I have nothing written down, nothing planned, and no personal idea of where the conversation will go, and I'll rift for thirty forty minutes and just see where it evolves. It's been amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So what I do is I have a lot of notes, yeah, and then and then which a lot of it, A lot of it I will not even use, but I'll do. I like to know that if I have, you know, if I have a brain fart, I got something, yes, but but oftentimes it's a complete waste of my time. My life would be so much easier if I was not built this way. But I learned under Lee Hacksaw Hamilton in San Diego and Lee Lee would do these amazing monologues every night at the beginning of his show, each hour, and he would spend all day preparing. So that's that's kind of one of the mentors, right. But then, but I also learned from Tony Bruno, and I love Tony. I was on his show at the Super Bowl in Vegas. There he had me on for a couple of segments. But but Tony did things differently. He would he would have one page and he'd just have a bunch of chicken scratch of what he wanted to do for the show, and that was fine.
Speaker 1: And so I've kind of morphed both those.
Speaker 3: Things where I've got a little bit of Hacksaw, a little bit of Tony Bruno. And then another one of the people that was I was around early Joe McDonald who was talked to host in Los Angeles, and I kind of.
Speaker 1: Learned learned from him.
Speaker 3: So it's a little bit of those it's my own thing. But yeah, I don't a podcast maybe, but I don't know a radio show. I'm I'm going in there and I'm I'm putting my time in. I got put my time in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just kind of the way it is.
Speaker 4: I like that though, Ben, because I think that's why this has been so fun for me, is I feel like we try to plan so much right and have so much priorities based on what we want to say. As you said, just preparation in case you do have a brain fart, so you know how to catch yourself and everything. I think like, that's why my focus has been so fun with it is I wanted to see exactly where I would go with nothing there to catch me. It's almost like thinking of it as like you're jumping out of a plane and you're going skydiving. You're like, well, I think I hope there's a parachute in the back of me. I just grabbed it back back and jumped, so let's see how this ends out. And it's kind of cool because every time, not only do I land safely, but I look up and I'm like, man, that was actually a more enjoyable experience than last time. And it just seems to be so organic. It makes it sound like it's natural, like a conversation. That's why I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like if I'm working with someone who I trust that I know will be prepared, like it's not as big a deal like I worked with Looney for years on Sunday, and I knew Looney would would bring it like you know, he and we would play off each other, which is one of the reasons that the TV show worked this year is and one of the reasons I wanted Looney for the for the show. When they asked me, I give them a list of people that I wanted to do the show with and Looney was was near the top there because I've worked with him a long time.
Speaker 1: But working with Tom, it's like I can go in there.
Speaker 3: And plus the other thing, we did a football show, and you can't really prepare for a show where you're reacting to.
Speaker 1: What's going on because you don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 3: You can be prepared to kind of know what may happen, but they still have to play the game. So with that, it was just like a reality TV show where we just kind of it's so.
Speaker 1: Cool, you have bull crap throughout today.
Speaker 3: And it was great because we'd have we've told these stories before, but we've had people from the NFL on Fox On and they were contractually obligated to come on, and some of them were great and they love doing it, and we're wonderful and just great, you know, sweet spirits Kenny King's would say back in the day, But others of them were total douches and didn't want to do it, and it was it was quite interesting to juxtapus pose easy for me to say the different the different agendas that certain people had doing that. But this week on the Overnight Show, I know you, of course you worked just before my show. Yes, I see you as you're leaving and I'm coming in for the night and you're you're heading out to the to the wild blue Yonder. But this week we had the big event was the I guess we'll call it Putting the God and the Octagon as Jed who fled from the swamp land of Florida, the Redneck Riviera and the ultimate Florida Man.
Speaker 1: He took on Dad Gummet.
Speaker 3: As we said when we did the bit, the it puts the red and redneck from from Arkansas and quite the character truck driver, bigger than life personality. It was the Southern Slam, the Rumble, and the Dixie Jungle and so scratch Off, which is another nickname for Dad Gummet.
Speaker 1: He showed up and Jed did not show off and it.
Speaker 3: Was quite controversial, so so scratch off won by disqualification.
Speaker 1: We've had a few of these octagons over the years.
Speaker 3: The it's really a blood sport verbal blood sport verbal octagon, and so we had a few of these and like this, jedhu Fled's done.
Speaker 1: It multiple times.
Speaker 3: We had this guy named blind Scott who's changed a lot over the years. But blind Scott he also vanished on us, and so even though he almost was disqualified by their scratch off, he did get declared the winner. Jedhu Fled then showed up like the day later if you listened to the podcast of the Live Overnight show, and then he did. He had a chance to say, hey, I was sorry, I screwed up. Instead he used what about ism?
Speaker 1: I mean, is what is that? It's what about?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 1: Was his?
Speaker 3: That was our banter back and forth was what about ism?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Did you ever I asked Eddie this and Eddie said that he had not taken this. When I was in high school, I took a debate class. And did you ever take debate class? You did, right, it's a great class.
Speaker 1: You learned argument good.
Speaker 3: I'm glad so you know argument techniques, yes, poisoning the well right, using a straw man, all of these different things. The he did it too, yes, or he did it first? Yes, what kids off and will use you learn all that stuff. So when I when I immediately I had him on and he's like, well I learned from my mentor Ben mallor you know, he's going on using my name.
Speaker 1: And I was like, that's what about it is he's deflecting.
Speaker 3: That is a diversionary tactic, and he's alway, he's playing the victim. I can't stand when people played the victim. Alex one of my pet peeves, right, he just bothers me.
Speaker 4: It's just.
Speaker 1: I know, what's up with that man? These your people, Alex, what's up with your people? I don't want to claim up. I'sired. These are your comrades out So I don't understand. I what you know?
Speaker 3: I was growing up, it was like you didn't want to be the victim. No, don't let somebody else control your narrative. Right, don't you know somebody else make you the victim? You are what you you know, you make your own way less.
Speaker 1: Yes, now it's like, oh, you get cloud as a victim. It's crazy big thing. It's wild to me.
Speaker 4: I think it's like some kind of bipartisan venom. Just we're in this world now, in this time where it's so hyper focused on so many different people, so many different cultures, so many news articles, so many things around the world, and it makes you kind of feel lost in the sauce. So it's almost like the easiest thing for you to do right now is not to blame others, but in the sense blame the things that are happening because it is at fault against you. So they have this like weird mindset now where everything is affecting them, but it's in factua He's like, no, no, no, you're you're the one allowing it, So stop telling the world like it's it's all this, it's all against me, all this. It's like, no, no, no, you're allowing it. So you're the person who just wants to kind of fit into this mantra of this whole self established thing of welcoming and everybody. It's like, at the same time that we've always been, it's not you don't have to just victimize yourself to be a part of something. We still love you, and it just it's annoying to me.
Speaker 1: I'm right there with you.
Speaker 3: That's the only reasons I wanted you on the podcast. It's so society has been contaminated. Yes, this pollutant, this mass pollutant, this infection.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: It's the victim mentality. It's the you know, woe is me? I can't you know, I can't do this. You know, we're rather I would say, you know, who does. Everyone's got to walk in their own shoes, right, But what I would like to think is if you came from a bad background or whatever, right, your family have a lot of money, you're poor, whatever, that's the that's the seed for a wonderful story of overcoming it, not sitting there and wallowing in the victimhood. Yes, right, Instead, No, I'm gonna you know, someday I'll say I started from here, you know, I started from from X, and look where I ended up. I walk the walk, and you can do it too. It's so hard not everyone to get you, because if people lose their way and life, things happen, get you get screwed up. But I feel like I feel like you. I feel like a little motivational guy.
Speaker 1: You are because that's like your material.
Speaker 4: Yes, because Ben, I'll give you a great story.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So there's two guys on the side of the road and they're both sitting on the corner talking to each other. One guy in this just rags, he's dirty, missing his shoes, he looks like he needs a bath, food. He is just in the worst deplorable city could be in right now. And the guy talking to him has this tailor made suit, his hairs sophisticated, he's got a Bentley parked up the street where he came from. And they're both sitting there talking and someone comes up and says, what's going on, Like, is everything okay? They're like, yeah, we're brothers. We were just reminiscing how we both came from the same place and how we both used it to benefit or or worse in our life. He saw it as something that hampered him. I saw it as something that I could overcome. And it's crazy to see that two people from the exact same situation used it in their own way. Yeah, no, it's it's not crazy.
Speaker 1: It's true. And you see that.
Speaker 3: You'll see people that when one's very successful, Yes, like like a sisters or brothers.
Speaker 1: One of the other ones will be like, you know, it'll be losers or.
Speaker 3: Just not yes, not deemed successful by society. There's a great quote I think it was from maybe it was from Lou Holtz, maybe not. I heard it somewhere along the way old football coach Lou Holtz for Notre Dame. But it's like, don't tell me how rocky the sea is.
Speaker 1: Just bring the ship in. So you gotta do God beautiful like.
Speaker 3: Kind a bumper sticker, Yeah, something like that, but he's gotta you gotta do it.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 3: So that was the the Octagon this week, and Jed hasn't been banned.
Speaker 1: He still is up the Bennieser this week.
Speaker 3: And we'll talk more about that probably on the Saturday Pod tomorrow.
Speaker 1: But the Jed who fled O rama continues.
Speaker 3: Also that last weekend, I made a brief trip to Lost Wages, Nevada, my third trip this year. I have not It's the third month of the year, if I'm not mistaken, and I've already been there three times. It's basically a suburb of La Okay.
Speaker 1: I Alex do not.
Speaker 3: I would love hate relationship with Vegas because I remember how Vegas was when you could park for free and they'd give you.
Speaker 1: Free meals and spoil you. Yes.
Speaker 3: Now I go to Vegas and they want to charge you twenty dollars a day to park at their casinos and the food is outrageous on the strip.
Speaker 1: It's just insane.
Speaker 3: But I was invited my wife, one of her girlfriends had a birthday.
Speaker 1: It was a milestone.
Speaker 3: Birthday, so I was invited to you know, she was going to go and she wanted me to come hang out. So originally it was just gonna be I was gonna be my myself hanging out in a sports book, gambling, and then eventually it was just like, well, you just come with.
Speaker 1: Us, we'll go around.
Speaker 3: And so one of the places we went was the Mob Museum, I not being I've been buy it near the Fremont Street downtown Vegas. And so are you a Vegas guy, Alex You No, you don't seem like a Vegas guy.
Speaker 1: Now, like an outdoorsy guy. You don't seem like a Vegas guy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I've been a few times, like for my twenty first and for little get togethers or just say it's like a bachelor party or something. But to myself, Ben if you can give me like a week at Yosemite or Joshua Tree or Zion where I'm just sleeping outside, I can wake up butt naked and drink tea. That sounds like a good time to me.
Speaker 1: In hell good tree.
Speaker 4: Oh, I mean in more ways, dude. It's funny to say, but I've actually became a tree hugger.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, that's funny. I've never been to Zion. I would like to go.
Speaker 3: Oh, my wife has some relatives that moved to Utah, so there is a there's he's got an uncle in an aunt that both live near kind of outside Salt Lake.
Speaker 1: One lives out in the middle of Utah. Going on, So I have an excuse to.
Speaker 3: Go to Utah just to go to Zion, which I is on my list. But my favorite, you know, my favorite spot is the Giant Forest.
Speaker 1: The Giant Sequoia Forest. There just amazing. I love going there. I tried to go there once a year.
Speaker 3: The coolest experience I've ever had there was actually in twenty twenty three, and it was.
Speaker 1: Around this time. It was around this time of the year.
Speaker 3: It was in March, and it's the National Park is kind of near Fresno in the middle part of California. But I went there around March, mid to late March mony beating in early April, and it was about seventy degrees.
Speaker 1: We got up, drive up the mountain covered in snow.
Speaker 3: Oh Man, but yet it was you didn't have to have chains, so you don't ever worry about that, and it was still relatively mild, and yet there was snow everywhere.
Speaker 1: It was awesome. Yeah, so so cool. I just love it. Haven't been there obviously this year. It's only been a few months, so try to get there at some point.
Speaker 4: But it does get pretty hot up there, yes summer, so I'm just telling you about. I know, Sin City is a great time for people because you can indulge in all of your deadly sins. But for myself, there's just something magical about going outside, Like even if it's somewhere like a national park or just some cool little hiking spot, you take off your shoes, connect to the ground a little bit, take your shirt off. It just it makes you slow down, if that makes sense. The world is so fast we were just talking about before you even recorded things. Just make it quicker and just take our time it's if I can find a moment to just kind of just deplug from everything unplugged and just desensitize myself to what I think the world is. It's really refreshing. It kind of helps you get out of like the whole thing we're talking about, like seasonal depression. I just I haven't been outside in so long. It's like, dude, just how about you just tell yourself you're bored. I mean, we can be honest about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I hear it.
Speaker 3: So the Mob Museum just to finish the thoughts. So it was kind of it was cool. I I like going to randomlyums and this was this is different. I'd been buying. I'd heard good things about it. I thought it was a pretty good experience. It was expensive, but all these things are expensive these days, with the Biden inflation or the Putin inflation or whatever you want to call it. I don't know, everything's expensive. But it inspired me and I don't want to forget these things. And I had the light bulb go off when I was walking around the Mob Museum. I have had a couple of run ins with mobsters in my life, and I was thinking about this as I was walking around and one of the people that I ran into was featured in the Mob Museum, and I was like, wow, it was funny because my wife and her her girlfriends were kind of running through the place, right.
Speaker 1: They were kind of going through it.
Speaker 3: They had to speak easy at the bottom where you can go get a drink meal, and so they were kind of motivated to go get a cocktail at the bar. But I was kind of into looking at the stuff in the museum, and they had all these old artifacts.
Speaker 1: So then I went down. They had this wall of mob fame. I get.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it's called. I exactly right, the Bobby frame. Yeah, yeah, so they had all these different famous mobsters. I've had three runnings with mob people, but the most famous was actually in the Fox Sports Radio building. What yeah, this goes back probably, man, it's got to be at this point fifteen sixteen, seventeen years ago, so a long time ago, a number of years ago.
Speaker 1: And at that time, we were in the old studio.
Speaker 3: Which is, you know, down the hall from the new studio, and Joe McDonald was the guy doing the show before my show in LA and I was buddies with Joe and so I would go outside to do cross talk. I didn't want to be bothered in the hallway, so I'd go outside and get on the phone and call him in to his show locally in LA and tell him what was going to happen on our show, kind of promote the show. So I went outside. It was it was during the winter, it was kind of cool whatever. I walk outside and there's this guy standing in front of the door and he's, hey, are you on the radio? And I'm walking out of a radio station. I'm like, no, no, no, and I kind of I kind of ignored him, right, and I walked down the street, thinking he was just going to keep walking, and so I did my like five minute phoner with the big nasty Joe McDonald and then I walked back to the outside you know the outside door there, Yeah, goes out.
Speaker 1: We've all you know those that are work the building, Mark does.
Speaker 3: So I walked back and the guys passed the door. So I'm walking towards the door. Next thing I know, the guy takes he sees me kind of out of his peripheral vision, so he starts walking back. Uh, it's kind of towards me, and there's Hey, you're the you're on the you're on the radio. You know. I'm I'm Henry fucking Hill, and I am I want to be on the radio. Put me on the radio, right, And this guy's reeks of alcohol. Wow, guy reeks alcohol. Looks like he's homeless, Hull dishevel, right, And so I'm like, yeah, you're Henry you know.
Speaker 1: In my head, I'm like, yeah, you're Henry Hill. Right, You're Henry Hill.
Speaker 3: And I'm I'm Homer Simpson, you know. And I walk in there and it was the The Wireless and Greg Bergman was my producer, Bergie and so this guy I walk in, he starts banging on the.
Speaker 1: Door, bang bang bang bang bang. Let me in. I'm Henry fucking Hill. You know, you know who I am? And so whatever.
Speaker 3: So then I I went on Google because I knew who Henry Hill was. My favorite movie is Goodfellas. Yes, So I type Henry Hill. I type his name, and Henry had popped up. He was in the Witness Protection Program. He was actually kicked out of the Witness Protection Program, but he pop up on the Howard Stern Show, and so there was there were pictures.
Speaker 1: Of Henry Hill and that was Henry Hill.
Speaker 3: No, he was living in Sherman Oaks, which is where our studios are in LA and he was apparently a raging alcoholic. He died of alcohol. I believe it was alcohol related illness. And yeah, that guy killed people, right. He also I believe he set up one of the famous point shaving situation Boston College. I think that was a Henry Hill creation back in the day that.
Speaker 1: He he gave. I think he gave testimony.
Speaker 3: He became an informant, and I think he was part of the famous was it the airplane heist?
Speaker 1: The what was it called the Louis Stanza or whatever?
Speaker 3: It was probably mispronouncing that, but yeah, so that was Henry. That was one of the the run into another one I had was kind of around that time. I had lost the bed with some listeners in Boston and it was actually about the Giants Patriot super Bowl. A guy who was a Giants fan living in Boston of all things, bet on Eli Manning and the Giants, and I was ripping Eli, calling him in the punk and all that, and the Giants ended up winning the Super Bowl. So we had made a bet on the air that I was going to come to Boston and buy him and his buddy's dinner, and so I did. I didn't want to go to Boston anyway, so I flew back there and this guy was a big fan of the show he had. He'd hooked me up though. He said, listen, you know you buy this, then i'll take carry all right, So he.
Speaker 1: He got a hotel room for pretty much nothing.
Speaker 3: Pretty much nothing. You had to pay a couple of bucks, but it was pretty cheap. Then he says, you're going to need to get around Boston. So he says, go down to the front desk concierge at the hotel whatever they call it, and there'll be an envelope for you.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I go down and there's a there's an envelope with my name on it.
Speaker 3: And there's a little sticky note, like a yellow note, and there's a key. The note says, go to the back of a hotel. There's a car you can drive. If anybody pulls you over, just say it's a friend's car.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So the car so all right, fine.
Speaker 3: So then I ended up buying these guys dinner at San Parpios, which is this famous pizza place in Boston. East Boston, really good pizza, old pizza place. It's been around for a long time. It's we don't have stuff like that in California. It's really not that much stuff. It's been around, been around a long time.
Speaker 1: I guess the missions, I guess so.
Speaker 3: But anyway, so we went, we had the meal, and this guy brought like there were.
Speaker 1: I don't remember exactly how many. It was like fifteen twenty dudes.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And they all still lived in the neighborhood. They all grew up there. They were all buddies from school and they all worked. Look all the jobs.
Speaker 3: So then we had the meal and my buddy's like, hey, there's somebody else that wants to meet you. He couldn't make it, so I want you to follow me, and we're gonna go, and I want you know, he's he's a fan of yours and I want you to meet So I was like, all right, you know whatever, I mean.
Speaker 1: You took care of me pretty well.
Speaker 3: And the meal was, you know, several hundred dollars, but that's fine, and we'd buy some pies and some beer for the guys and that's it. So I follow this guy to a chop shop in a ceed neighborhood of Boston, and I meet the guy, and the guy is quite quite the character, right, quite the character, and he's he's telling me, he's like, you know, you know, he's like, I like your show, I like your style. Whatever's give me the.
Speaker 1: Whole rap there. And then he's like, you know, he starts trying to brag a little bit, like his thing is.
Speaker 3: He wants to he wants to, you know, show me that, you know, he's got he's got some some So he's telling me, you know, I just want you to know I'm not like this anymore. But I was younger, you know, I I lived a hard life, you know, but this guy's got like tons of apparently he's got tons of money.
Speaker 1: My buddy's like telling me, this guy's loaded. I don't know.
Speaker 3: And the chop shop looked like a piece of shit, so I was, you know whatever. Anyway, the long story short, the guy's telling me that when his younger days, he was in a in an organization and he claimed that his sister I got I forget exactly. It was some connection where his sister knew somebody who knew somebody else who knew one of the people that wrote The Sopranos, the Big Show on HBO many years ago. Yes, and that one of the writers followed him around and that was how they they kind of learned about the mob and organized crime and stuff was from him, and.
Speaker 1: That's what he claimed. Now, maybe the guy was full of you know what, right horse manure, No, but this is what he told me. And based on some recon that I had, I don't know. I don't know about that.
Speaker 3: Then the other one, the other one I had real quick is I was I had a lemon.
Speaker 1: You won't get a lemon. I got a lemon then, not from the.
Speaker 3: Toyota famous car dealership in California, but I got a lemon. So it's a total scam. By the way, there are lemon laws. But have you ever got you had a lemon?
Speaker 1: Didn't you?
Speaker 4: Currently m yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: So the way it works, the lemon law is you buy the car for an amazing amount of money, you drive it off the lot and immediately loses money. Yes, and then if it's a lemon, they have to buy it back, but they downgrade how much the car is worth because they go by the Kelly Blue Book. And I said, well, you know, so you you end up losing thousands of dollars, even though it's no fault of your own.
Speaker 1: You did nothing wrong. You paid for a car, you were told you were going to get a good car.
Speaker 3: They give you, you know, a clunker, a Jelpi, and then this great I had to return the car. There's a transition of power where you drop the car off. You have to fill out a bunch of paperwork. They then cut you a check.
Speaker 1: So I go in.
Speaker 3: This guy meets us at a car dealership. We were there to drop the car off. The guy then another guy starts telling. He starts talking about this.
Speaker 1: He says, he says, you know who, he's telling me about his past. He's like, oh, yeah, I grew up. I just had my mom and that was it, you know, my father.
Speaker 3: He claimed that he was related to Lucky Luciano.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, this.
Speaker 3: Guy, Yeah, I don't know if he has a bull you know what what but bullpucking. So this guy's whole rap was he said that his mom was a maid at Lucky Luciano's home and Luciano had an affair as an old man with his mom, and he pulled out.
Speaker 1: A this is the funniest thing. He pulls out a photo.
Speaker 3: In his wall of Lucky Luciano and then he holds it up to his face.
Speaker 1: Do you see the resemblance? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the guy he said he he was he lived in Reno and then he had come to l A occasionally for work. But yeah, so those are my mob mob related stories.
Speaker 1: There are three of them. That's increasing my favorites. The Henry Hill one, without doubt, that's insane, dude. Still it still blows me.
Speaker 3: Away that I was like totally dismissive he was he was old and drunk and uh and I get it, but but still, I mean, the guy had seen some really dark things in his life. All Right, we'll get out on that. Anything you would like to promote here, We've got two more podcasts to do this weekend.
Speaker 1: Any want to plug your any.
Speaker 3: Specific podcast Alex before we close closed the book?
Speaker 4: For sure, I would like to. But first I got to say, Ben, isn't it true that somebody actually shot at the studios one time when you were hosting?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Oh that did happen the mob people, Ben, I don't know. We we think we know who did that. Well, that was not a mob guy, that was somebody Yeah, yeah, we well, I don't, I don't know we should say, but there was someone that that well, somebody that worked at the company that was let go on a Friday, and we think of their way out of town on Sunday night, they wanted to get one shot off before they left town.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: My, my, my favorite part of that was my board off this guy Jerry, who may or may not have done some shady things in his past.
Speaker 1: I love Jerry, but I said, hey, Jerry, you got to call the cops. Somebody just shot the window. And Jerry's like, he's kind of gave me this day's look. I know.
Speaker 3: I said, look over there in the window. That wasn't the out it's double plane glass, so the outside was completely smashed. On the inside, I fortunately was not. It was another plane, a bulletproof class.
Speaker 1: And so he's like, I got it, hude.
Speaker 3: So what he did his decision was rather than call the cops because he didn't want the cops to go there because he might have had.
Speaker 1: Some warrants right or whatever.
Speaker 3: So he decided to just close all the blinds so at least the people wouldn't know where they were shooting. So that was his gosh, and then he went to building security, Like, what's the security cops anyway?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, So.
Speaker 3: That's incredible, Ben, that was I was on there where Jim Daniels. It was a Sunday night, Jim's rock and roll guy.
Speaker 1: Gosh, he was there a show.
Speaker 4: I wish I had a gangster story for you. But the most I have his boardwalk from HBO and Sopranos. That's like the most mob relations I've had is watching those shit.
Speaker 3: Out of I didn't go out of my way for any of these things. That just kind of happened. It's amazing. Yeah, that's the weird thing.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I'll get out of that.
Speaker 3: I have a great rest of your Friday. And uh hey, Alex Vegan's with us all weekend. Oh we amazing And we'll have another.
Speaker 1: Part tomorrow'll catch you next time.
Speaker 3: And as Danny would say, when we say aloha, well this week, he'd probably say a loha or later skater, later skater