Speaker 1: Call Zone Media. Hi friends, it's me James, and I just wanted to explain as you're listening to this. We recorded this around midnight on Friday, after having spent I think three days four nights in Minneapolis, and the tone of what we recorded here is hopeful. I remain hopeful and inspired by the people we met in Minneapolis, and I remained so proud of everything they've done. But about nine hours after we sent this off to our editors, Alex Pretty was killed by two Border Patrol agents, and the tone of this would have been different if we had recorded after that, And that's just the nature of the work we do. But we don't want anything in the hopeful tone here to suggest that we don't grieve his passing, that we aren't thinking of the people who loved him right now, because we understand that they're going through a very difficult time. But we still want you to learn from what's happening in Minneapolis and from what people are doing there, and we hope that you remember that as you did through this episode.
Speaker 2: And I think that, honestly, those two things that we have to balance just as we deal with the state of the world is just you know, everyone we talked to. This is so present on their minds. Is both an awareness of the beauty of the things that they are building and also an awareness of the darkness that has caused them to need to build these things. But anyway, we hope you enjoy these episodes and are following more closely with more current news about what's happening, and are talking to the people around you wherever you are about how you will keep yourself and your neighbors safe and yep, thank.
Speaker 1: You, Hello, and welcome to cool People could happen here it podcast, which is what happens when two podcasts love each other and go to Minneapolis to go on a trip to Minneapolis in the winter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where it is called.
Speaker 1: I am one of your hosts today. My name is James Stout and I'm very lucky to be joined by my friend Margaret Kiljoy.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome to the thing that we're doing. M should we talking about today? We talked last time about some rapid response to mutual a and there's more to be said about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Today is the twenty third.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the past for you.
Speaker 1: All, but it's present for us. Yeah, it's amazing how podcasting work like that Today was.
Speaker 2: The second realish, real general strike I've been to in my life. Yeah, first one was in Oakland during Occupy Okay, so they pulled off a pretty serious general strike. Thousands of US shut down the ports. It was really beautiful.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that was poss today, Lion, I had to shut shit down really, with the exception of the Federal building, which we will discuss. It's been remarkable. We've been here since Tuesday, it's Friday. How just the momentum has grown. Like seeing we went past someplace I think it was like a place that repaired like electronics of some description. They just had a little thing being like, attention, we're not opening on Friday. Like yeah, it's these businesses which have no reason, you know, like these outward facing reasons too. You know, it's not even businesses which rely on the community for business and have to signal the community that they're with them, right, it's just people who are being like yeah, nah, no, you know, like that seems shut. Yeah, let's we got to do something. Let's all close down and go protest. One thing that I was sent and share this with you, Margaret, some unkind was a list of businesses that were like, yo, we will not be participating in like profit making today, but if you need X, that's what we do. Come by. Yeah, Like if you know, if you're hungry, if you're cold, if you need a cup of coffee, what if you need to bicycle fix whatever it is, Like if you want to screenprint abolish ice on a shirt? Yeah, swing my, Like we'll just be opened up for the community. Comes a high. Yeah, Like we don't want your money, we just want your solidarity. Like I thought that was cool And.
Speaker 2: On some level it's been happening for a while to like to talk about how yesterday we went to power our Grounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, there is a indigenous own coffee shop called power Ground. They're actually worth donating directly too because of their mutual aid projects. That will probably be in the list of things that we include. And you go in and the coffee is free now, and you know, we were like, well, we want to pay you for tea, and they were like, you can pay us for tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we were able to like put some money behind in case someone else came in and needed.
Speaker 2: Right, but the entire space has been taken over by a mutual aid organization. Yeah, And it's you know, indigenous run. We talked to someone from AIM American Indian Movement yea about the work they've been doing there, and you know which is that they've been you know, actually just turning it into like making sure everyone has everything they need.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: By creating these places that are good to hang out in, you make really good rapid response places. Yeah, we we you know, this is the first person we heard from about just like I was like, how does this work? How does the rapid response work? And I was like, oh, there's more of us than there are them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we can keep showing up, like.
Speaker 2: And uh yeah, so like you know, people are people are hanging out there and so you know, and it's it's right in a place where Ice likes to fuck with people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well it's like for people who aren't familiar with that block, right, Like I've read a lot about AIM. It's yeah, I'm interesting like that Franklin Avenue. I believe it's where AIM began. Right, Well, that's an understanding with Community Watch, which is what's happening now exactly, was doing patrols to keep their community safe. Yeah. So it's a cool little full circle movement. Yeah, this is a space which is obviously designed to like center and protect indigenous folks. Yeah, but they were just like, yeah, anyone who's out there doing the work, please come by. We got snack packs for you because it's we may. We've got four different soups, got a vegan soup, we got a gleam free soup. Like like, they were more than happy for folks to come by.
Speaker 2: Get fed, Yeah, get get warm. Yeah, big a big thing here, people, you know, sort of make light of. You know, there's the whole quip that Orally works on me, which is the like Ice made the classic Nazi mistake they invaded a winter people in winter, And that's true. But it is exceptionally cold right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like we last night, I think, due to an error on my part, were locked out of the place we are staying. Yeah, I think it's fairly clear that I fucked up there.
Speaker 2: That's fine.
Speaker 1: It becomes a risk to your well being pretty quickly. Yeah, to put it in another way, how cold it is today. I took the battery out of Margaret's vehicle and blue hot air from a head ryer on it sometime so we could try and start it.
Speaker 2: So a jump would work because yeah, a jump wouldn't work without also heating up for the battery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the battery didn't have enough coal cranking.
Speaker 2: Yet to get Yeah, despite being a brand new battery.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you need different times for your truck, You need different oil field vehicle, You need your battery to be warm. Yeah.
Speaker 2: People have engine block heaters for gas engines. I don't even have a diesel. Okay. So this morning we knew as the general strike, we went and got enough supplies to have enough food without having to go shopping today. And you know, we get up and we knew that there was going to be a direct action this morning at the Whipple building. And the Whipple Building is Oh I wish once this whole thing is scripted, you will understand all this better. But there is a building that used to be a fort and it was a fort in ye oldie even more murder of indigenous people times. And it was the fort from which they would go out and capture people. Yeah, and that is what it is again. It is the center of the ice operations here. It is where everyone has taken both citizen and non citizen for processing. And there's like one way in and one way way out. And there have been people I keep talking about. We were talking about this hyper local rap and response. Yeah, there's been people at the Whipple Building, at this wrap of a place.
Speaker 1: With one way and then one way, these places a fortress ass building. Yeah, right where it's really easy to kidnap people because the kidnap place is right there. Yeah, there have been people there are basically every day. Yeah, and like just blatantly being like we are here to track you all anti ice people have been there every day. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there was a call to go to it this morning, and so we did and you know as press. Yeah, and we did not get there on time because my car absolutely that start.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but multiple people came to rescue us.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like multiple people showed up to help out of towners who aren't even core of were We weren't there to get stuff done. We're just here to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like someone came to or for us to jump. Someone else was like, hey, did you get a jump? Yes, someone was like do you want to ride? Do you need to borrow my vehicle? Yeah? And these weren't people we known very long, but yeah, the longest we've known these people was since Tuesday, it's Friday, and.
Speaker 2: So people come up, get the vehicle working, We drive there, and the whole time both of us are moderately outdoorsy people, right, put it mildly in your case and to be accurate in my case. Yeah, Like, and we spent the whole time be like do we have enough gear?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do we enough winter gear? You know we both have these new insulated boots we got for this trip. Yeah, and like I live in the mountains. You were a literal sports person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I enjoyed to be in the mat Yeah. When I have time, I will go into the mountains and sleep outside.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is cold.
Speaker 1: It was cold. You know there's a cold when your noseheads freeze when you breathe in and then yeah, then there's a cold when you're like my eyes are like actually icing over. Yeah, like this is alarmingly cold.
Speaker 2: Is the coldest day here since twenty eighteen or twenty nineteen, is what we learned.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And and you know, when I talked to my friend before I came, I was like, it's going to be horrendously cold. Are people still going to show up? And you know, my friend who lives here is like, well, we will Ice will be miserable. Yeah, and we saw probably ten thousand people outside today. Yeah, between the two protests, mostly the larger one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like, so we roll up right and there is a small shield wall barricading one of the waves that Ice gets into the Whipple building to incarcerated people who they have snatched. Yeah, there are probably half a dozen shields and then two big corrugated steel which.
Speaker 2: Is the level of bravery of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like that is audacious, Yeah, because there will maybe one hundred people in that whole formation, right, and the shield walls facing two ways. We check it out. As we arrive, we see what we later learn was an Italian camera operator there had been maceed in the face. I just want to like break down again, Like we we've made light of the cold, and it's funny that it's cold. You get maced, right, generally you want to pour water on your face. Right. The clock is ticking pretty quickly once you start pouring liquid on exposed skin. In these temperatures, the clock is ticking on exposing skin in these temperatures, any exposed skin is dangerous. I have this like basically balaklava that I like, I don't wear to protest.
Speaker 2: That's sketchy. Yeah, And then I'm like, oh no, I'm gonna like die if I don't wear this thing that covers every inch of my face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I have a helmet with goggles, and I wasn't wearing the goggles for particularly, like I didn't think I was going to get a pepper ball in the eye. I needed the air not to touch my eyes. So like this, this is amazing, is serious, right? And I saw that and I saw them pouring water and I was like, oh shit, actually that's quite grave. And they actually did have a staged water truck the spray people. They didn't spray people with water, but yeah, that's what we heard where there was a water truck staged in the in the parking lot. To be clear, like that could have killed someone really easily. Yeah. So then that was one entrance. We were like, let's go to go back the other entrance. See what the whole scene is here. As we're walking, first of all, we come past someone with one of those like trolleys that people pull. They have the better part of like a thousand tans and foot toe warmers, and they are stoked to be given them out right, So we put handwarmers inside our gloves. Then we see someone who's pulled up in a mini van. That is the warming car. People do get cold, they get in there and they warm them up. We come around, someone has snacks. Someone's playing public enemy. As we come around further, we see this is the place that I are coming in with people, right, And so there are people who were there shouting at them. I saw a couple of like snowballs thrown and like, yeah, there were people who are throwing snowballs, right, But there were also folks who just turned out to be like, you know, I'm more of a that's not my vibe. But if you would like a snack while you're throwing them, I'm here for you. No one was like, hey, don't do that. Everyone was showing up in their own way, and that was really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like one of the things that you know, I asked at one point, I was like, what's the like discourse like about you know, the usual thing that divides people about, like I'm going to use air quotes here. You can't see but violence and non violence yeh, which are like complicated age, right, you know, and you know, and there's obviously people like we've met people who've been like and we're non violent, and they're like really excited, and that's an important party.
Speaker 1: Who had yellow vests on being like peaceful observer, don't shoot.
Speaker 2: Right, And then there's also people who are like, we didn't see any of it, but there's graffiti all over town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like fuck peace justice doesn't bring him back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was like, what's the discourse like between these groups? And everyone we've talked to is like, there isn't time for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we go shit to be doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like you know, even when people are discussing things, they'll try to start having a discussion and someone's like, hey, Ice is on that corner. Yeah, and not that these discussions aren't worth it. Well, I famously my pinned post on Blue Sky's discourse is the mind Killer. But like, and you can see se just like right here, right, because there's people who are like, when you show up with shields at a shield wall at blocking a federal agents from being somewhere, you're clearly being mildly antagonistic, right, it is as a rowdy thing to do. And you know, and at the same time, right, like we didn't make it to this because they were happening at the same time more or less, but not very far away at the airport. We're not the news in this particular case. It could happen here is a news show, but this is still not the news. We're reporting right now, like one hundred and fifty clergy people were restless of all disobedience because the airport's being used to transport people away. Did real quick tangent about that. I think it's really beautiful because there's so much you know that the national presses of course, like these anti Christian people attack church, and like, you know, the churches are on our side, except like one or.
Speaker 1: Two if we were staying next to our church. Yeah, and like we get up in the morning that first day, we heard the honking and we see like, yeah, the church has got a sign being like yeah, I've knowniced ice. It seems bad. Yeah, I think is not what Jesus would have done.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So we're at the thing and you know, we're like, okay, this is happening, and we start seeing the police getting ready to use munitions.
Speaker 1: Right, we come back from the first place to where the shield wall was, right, right, shield wall is no longer there, we think, huh, weird, no shield wall.
Speaker 2: And there's a line of police.
Speaker 1: Oh look at that. It's Hennepin County Sheriff Department. Yeah, and yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: No, no, I mean that's the thing is that it's always really sad when you come back and expect to see a shield wall and instead there's a line of police. Yeah, and they are yelling dispersal orders at the at the shield wall, which is already banked dispersed.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They're like they're they've been they've been pushed away. We can't hundred yards away. Yeah, like we we just like straight up can't see them. And we are told and no uncertain terms by some other folks who are standing. This is not a large crowd. The crowd has been moved and we're just kind of yeah, the crafts between us in our car.
Speaker 1: One, two, three, four, five, six of us. Yeah, there's six of us. And I was I was counting people in my head. I can I can't stay sick.
Speaker 2: No, No, you're right, And two of the people were standing next to are like, yeah, if you cross this red line. They told us that if we crossed this red line, the National Guard will shoot us dead. Yeah, and it we did not test that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not sure if they would A bit near young over song about it.
Speaker 2: Right, and we're not in Ohio would be fine.
Speaker 1: And minniesry to National Guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so they they are not letting us go.
Speaker 1: Yeah. To be clear, the red line would have signified we were entering into like a military area.
Speaker 2: Right, totally with no like barricades or anything like that.
Speaker 1: Just they had barricades further along, right, Yeah, to make vehicles weave yet drive straight up.
Speaker 2: It's the side of a public road where the light rail station. So there's the line of police and they're mostly facing away from us. There's about two people facing towards us. Are cars between them. We are marked press.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and wearing a bright red helmet with pressed to us on it. Blue helmet with presto because really black. The first the cops keep pushing the shield wall further away from us, and we hear them on the l rad. This has been declared an lawful assembly. I did hear somebody shout by who? That is a very good question, honestly. Yeah. Unfortunately, the Hennepin County Sheriff's Department were not very interested in answering questions. Yeah, and the way that we learned this is that a couple of people I would call them older folks just from looking at them from a distance.
Speaker 2: They weren't the young rowdies holding shields.
Speaker 1: They were absolutely not know. It was an older gentleman in a male presenting person in carharts right, who walked up coveralls, yeah, yeah, with hands up right, very clearly hands up and seemed to be asking or talking. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was like probably going up to being like, hey, what's happening? Yeah, like whatever, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can I go over there? That person was arrested. Yeah, so was another person who was with them. Yeah, and they were told they were arrested on the l rad.
Speaker 2: We could hear them. Yeah you are onto our.
Speaker 1: Ros Yeah yeah, that was very strange.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then a bus arrived, more cops got out, and those two people were put on the bus. Yeah, three people, there's three, three of them, three on the bus. Yeah, Okay, the majority of the police in turn to face us, yeah.
Speaker 2: All six by now, there's probably twelve of us. Yeah, because because other people are like, hey, my car's over there too, Yeah.
Speaker 1: They're there in between us and where we parked our cars. Right now. Yeah, And then they turn the l rad around right, and then they tell us that they have issued a dispersal order due to something about like a legal conduct, which again, we are standing on the platform with a light rail station at this point, and I've seen no one do anything other than stand around. I've seen someone through us noble up somewhere else we're in a different location. And then they say we have five minutes to disperse, and they they give us a cardinal direction.
Speaker 2: We have to disperse east onto a road that no one with us knew what was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're all looking like we're in a kind of weird amazing. I had previously tried to walk up to this line and be like can we go through to our car please?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we would like to disperse, Yeah, because at this point we're like this is just going bad. Yeah, we're pressed now.
Speaker 1: To be there, right. We're here to report and if we get arrested, we can't report and there's nothing to report on, yeah, because the cops have cattled us with two other press.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the rest of the Italian news crew who can't don't.
Speaker 1: Have a camera, but they're still trying to do reporting.
Speaker 2: But brave as hell yeah, because they're just still standing there and they're like, yeah, you know, fake Italian accents, and they're just like our camera person got made.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'll be fine, but they got made.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so the cops had very clearly indicated that they were not interested in that arrangement. So we went back to standing there wondering which way was east. I was trying to get under my last my watch, I could pull up a company.
Speaker 2: I had figured out which way was east. I even had a suspicion about how to go that, but I am willing. I believe I'm talking to other people who are elsewhere there that day, that day, today, this morning. It's been a long day. I don't normally drink caffeine. I am on caffeine. I believe that is where the other line of police was starting to kettle people from it. It seems like, so I actually believe they were not actually offering us away out at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I, on the other hand, was readers. I couldn't get to my watch it was I knew it was before noon, so I was looking for where the sun was and I knew some celestial navigation, and at that point we saw well, actually at that point, we went to the train platform and a light rail train was going not towards our carpet away from it. Yeah, but it didn't open the doors when it came to the platform. Yeah.
Speaker 2: We were like, we want to call though, I said.
Speaker 1: Margaret, We're fucked. Margaret said get ready to run. I guess yeah. And then as they were advancing towards us, comrade, light rail train arrived. Everyone got on.
Speaker 2: The train literally last minute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, scootle straight past the police line.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then we got off and commenced walking around to try and find a way back to our vehicle. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that was our morning. That was I mean, whatever, it's weird, the party is least affected, but to be like really just transparent about it. This is the coldest day of my life. I've experienced negative temperatures before. Yeah, I haven't experienced negative thirty something windchill.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like we were seeing people getting off the light rail. Everyone's eye lashes had frost in them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Anyway, just to just to keep hitting that point, well, like that was one.
Speaker 1: Of my concerns with detainment, right with like corps ledgendarily don't treat people in their custody very well, right, and I was very worried about right two, they did seem to be getting the people they arrested quickly on that bus. Yeah, but like that was my worries, right. You get if you lose a glove when you're being handcuffed, that's not a that's you know, that's serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like maybe you lose your fingers now at the end of that like, because it's like genuinely like a I know, we keep harping on it, but it's just it's a it's a present characteristic. Yeah, my car is a mess right now because we can't clean it because that involves standing outside in like negative eighteen or whatever. The fuck.
Speaker 1: All of these numbers have become meaningless to me at this point anyway. You know what keeps me warm, Margaret, the handwarmers we purchase with the money that we get from advertisements. Yeah. I was gonna say, thinking about thinking about how the products and services support the show love to support me and the work I do. But I don't think they actually know what I do and look.
Speaker 2: Listen to numbers to be honest, Yeah, I think they don't hear our transitions shit, and they don't And here they are.
Speaker 1: Enter back.
Speaker 2: So we we go to this and then we go to the clear highlight of the day, which is the ice call crashed and yeah, yeah, that is when we decided we got to we we received word that an ice vehicle had t boned telephone.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was doing a blue sky thread and I was like, Nope, that's a shorter thread.
Speaker 1: Because we gotta go. Yeah. I'm not as good as Margaret is at skating when I'm at things, so I'm so used to being in places where it would be a risky to everyone involved. Yeah, posted I was there. Yeah, so we yeah, we go, right, we park a few bucks away. Once we see flashing lights. Yeah, we start booging up the street at fast walk pace, which is about as fast as you're gonna go when it's an inch of ice on everything. Yeah, and we see this car that has faired. There's traffic coming roundabout that. Clearly they were not expecting to be there. It looks like they've they've been trying to go straight over to roundabout and have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just like the front of their car is just crashed in a fifteen mile per hour street.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, like a street where like you would expect a trial to be riding a bicycle in the summer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like it's one of those streets that's like cars on both sides one one lane that two cars have to pass each other by backing up. Yeah, and they clearly just blew through it. They don't give a fuck. And that's like a thing we've heard over and over from the people who tail them is that they they drive erradically, they drive, they drive recklessly because they are they think they're immune to all consequences. Yeah, and they are. They are until someone like the only people giving them consequences are the people of the city, not in the city itself or the state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the thing. Actually, I'll just I have spent more time than nearly everyone at the southern border of the United States, in more places right in California, in Texas, in New Mexico, in Arizona, ave been up and down the border. There is one thing that unites the border experience, be it on torn or Tumb Reservation in Arizona, be in San Diego being New Mexico, or in the Rio Grand Valley of Texas, and it is that border patrols driving is a risk to everyone, and you can hear the most straight up right wing people. I think. I love what they're doing. I don't want the Margarets in my country, but I wish they wouldn't drive like digs and like they've killed people on the Autumn reservation, right, Like this is serious and that what is happening once again is that the border is coming to a city and people are seeing this is not new, it's new here.
Speaker 2: The driving erratically is such a perfect though example of like what power does to people, Like you have an unaccountable force, and they will do horrible things. Yeah, they will do major horrible things like kidnapping people, and they'll do heady I don't care, I am just drunk on power things.
Speaker 1: Or they will leave the cars and drive when they pull them out right, like the second topic the park, or like yeah, in this case, they will case a telephone pole.
Speaker 2: Right anyway, So then we decide we're going to the big march downtown. Yeah, you know, because the general strike has a component that is a big march downtown. And the single most important thing about that to me was again to keep harping on it the cold because I know a lot of people who go to these sorts of marches, right, and these are the sorts of marches that a lot of people go to who don't necessarily do a ton of other political activity. Although here it probably feels a little different because a lot of the people go into that march who probably are the kind of sign holding going to the big march kind of people are also quite possibly at the very least showing up on air whistles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you doing the work right, the buying the groceries whatever it is. Yeah, like I think one thing I was started. So we're walking towards march, and it is one of the genies that you gets a lot when you're going to a big action, right, You feel like a salmon and everyone's just swimming up the swimming in the stream together or you know whatever, tuna and you're all going towards the same space. And that's cool. That's always nice to feel the size. And then we get there and it's big, like there's a lot of people, and it's cold, Like, I know, we keep popping on about the cold. It is cold as shit. Margaret's ear was a little bit out. We were both worried about Margaret's ear. Yeah, like it's you want to ensure it, like skin coverage in these temperatures. Yeah, we get there and like so they're meeting in like a big square and then they're marching through the street, right, Yeah, and there are also people on like there are internal walkways between buildings above the street and all of them around with people with signs or cheering and stuff. And the thing I noticed as we got there was like immediately we set foot in that square, we're once again being offered hot cocoa handwarmers. There's a guy with like a you know, there's orange insulated containers. They use it like sports, like a gator. He's got soup in it. Yeah, he's backpacking the supers. It's vegan and gluten free and he's handing out soup. There are multiple people who have just set up to care for people because it's cold and people might need caring for, right, Like, there are all kinds of facilities there to like look after folk. Yeah, we received I have some hand warmers. I think you and I both took some hand warmers. And there wasn't at least where we were like a speaker, there was some chanting. Yeah, at this point, like I would love to include to be a role of chanting. Unfortunately it was so cold that both my voice recorders refused to work.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, one by one, every electronic device that James brought ate shit, and I like, you know, I'm much you'll listen to my shit. I'm much more of a ViBe's podcaster where I like just observe and then write everything down. James is a proper podcaster and journalist and like, uh, you know, as b roll of things, not.
Speaker 1: As much today yet, everybody, my voice recorder, which has been through the Darien Gap as it tended this Syrian civil war, it's been to the place where the US dropped a nuclear bomb. It didn't make it out of Minneapolis. It's gone to Valhalla now, yeah, which is sad. I even tried to record on my phone, but my phone just black screened.
Speaker 2: On me like this comedy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was pretty funny when when the cell phone tied, it was like previously I had been painting a picture fuel using my nose to unlock the phone and then like actuate apps because I didn't want to take my glove off.
Speaker 2: We would we would take turns taking our hands out of gloves to touch buttons on things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or to like adjust you chose clothes, or like, yeah, someone watched me doing the phone thing and they gave me a nod like yeah doing the nose phone Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah totally, and like I don't know, I just I keep talking about how the sense of togetherness it's inspiring. Like, full disclosure, I'm not a big rally person. I'm much personally more interested in mutual aid and direct action. I'm disinterested in it when it seems like a way for people to check off that they've done their resistance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely if that feels like you're warm, fuzzy and that's all you want.
Speaker 2: But in this case, it was more I don't know for certain, it was more of a warm fuzzy for people who we were also just doing this hard thing day in and day out.
Speaker 1: It felt like when you and your friends, like, you know, when you're doing a hard, long, neutral aid thing, right, you know, like or let's say you're engaged in a project that feeds people every week and once a year you get together and have a dinner together. Right, it felt a bit like that, or like yeah, you know a little bit like when we were feeding people in the desert. We would sit down afterwards and talking about this with someone Today, we would like eat vegan MRIs out of the packets like people eat go goots, Yeah, because we were too tired to walk off food while we were hungry. But we would just spend a little bit of time in community and celebrate what we've done. What was cool though, was like sometimes after those big actions you feel a little lonely, but like it felt like that was just everyone going over there, but like there was also everyone elsewhere as you kind of went around the city, you know, right, Like it wasn't like that was the end of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was I was worried it would, you know, draw people away from other things. But you know, even this huge crowd was only a tiny portion of the people doing things in the city. People are still doing things. And at one point I was like, hey, it's maybe it's Thursday. We were like, hey, we still less people out today. Was that because the cold was starting to dry people inside? And we talked to someone and they're like, no, ice was less out today than it was yesterday. But if ice had come out, all of those people would have come out again. They were all staged and ready to go. And one of the things, actually, the warm fuzzy thing that feeling. One of the things that we talked to is that people are very aware that they're organizing for the long haul. Like yeah, you know, I again, I'm I don't have the news in front of me. But the word on the ground here is people being like, we think ice might be here till June, right, and so people are like, how do we do that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And one of the things is that, like there are people providing things to the people doing things, you know, the people whose job is to provide things for other people or having people provide things for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's this moment I think about all the time. I'll accidentally do like the you know. It was at this protest in the Netherlands and the cops try to grab my friend. Yeah, and they try to grab him because he's screaming the Netherlands as a police state, which they try to make their point by trying to grab him, right, So everyone holds on to him, So the cops start just beating the crap out of the people holding on to him. So people start grabbing onto the people who are holding on to the person they start trying to beat the people who are holding on to the people who a holding on to the people who are holding on to the people. By the time he gets to like four layers out, the cops are just like, yeah, fucking yeah, fuck this all right. The center person is never arrested, you know. And that's what solidarity is. But that's also a lot of the mutual aid stuff, like we're talking about to people who are like, yeah, we work day in and day out on this stuff, and other people are like massage therapists and regular therapists are talking with us, you know, and like people are building the infrastructure to try and make it sustainable and who knows, I don't know whether you can truly sustain what's happening here, right, but like they're going to fucking try.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The way I like to explain anarchism to people who's there's sometimes the confusion, right that people think anarchism is a predilection for chaos and violence, and that's not what it is. I like to explain the anarchism at its core is building ways of caring for one another that don't reinforce ways of controlling one another. Yeah, And that's what people are doing here, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, under any name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't mean the rest of it is really ephemeral.
Speaker 2: A lot of them are anarchists, but not not anywhere near the majority of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think that we can use what Gym's got called the anarchist squint, right, and see, yes, people building networks here that make the state unnecessary. Yeah, irrelevant right now. Understand violence is still very much relevant, but others. Right, the Feds are going to cut funding. Yeah, they can cut foodstamps in Minnesota. Yeah, people are still going to get food to their neighbors. Right. They can cut education funding. We heard that there are schools which have a very diverse background. And by the diverse here, I don't just mean like people of different races, but also people of different income brackets, right, And the wealthier parents are like, which families aren't able to work? How do I help them make their rent? Yeah? Oh god.
Speaker 2: It was funny when yeah people were like, oh, you know the thing where like the rich parents are like really excited to help everyone and feed everyone. I was like, no, that, Yeah, that's how you realize that's not the stereotype like.
Speaker 1: It should be. Yeah, it should be. Well, I think folks are really like, huh, what do the world without these people look like worse? I don't want that? Yeah, Like, what do I have that I can use to stop that? I have my time, I have my body, I have my money. Let me give them all of them? Yeah, yeah, I thought that was very cool. I think the the specific thing that has made people. I saw little signs they have the name for one of the guys from like Liam, the young, very very young kid, right, the five year old kid with the Superman but when it was yeah, grabbed the spider Man. Yeah, he was grabbed the other day. I saw a lot of people with science about.
Speaker 2: That, Like it made me want to cry. And just seeing the signs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, these little outrages continue to bring people out of their safe, warm comfort bubbles and be like no, like I am going to do whatever it takes, my money, my time, whatever, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know William van s Bronson. Yes, for people who are listening, there was a an IWW member named William von s Bronson who was killed by ice a number of years ago now because he decided that he would go and try to set some ice stuff on fire middle of the night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was buses, right, unoccupied buses to be clear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, middle of the night, empty buses, the buses that they're using to kidnap people, and the cops showed up and killed them.
Speaker 1: Yeah right.
Speaker 2: And he was seen as kind of this, this lone wing nut. Yeah, you know, and I'm watching it and I'm like, this man is going to be written about history books as like a guy actually started doing something early about this. And it is his statement that he wrote. I'm not telling people that this was a wise action for him to have taken, whatever, you know, But in his statement he wrote he wrote a line something like, I am off to fulfill my childhood promise to myself to be noble, and like he knew he was going to die doing that actually, right. That certainly seems to be the tone from the letter. But that line the idea of fulfilling your promise to yourself to be noble, And the thing that is beautiful here is that you can now do that with people and effectively. And I think that a lot of the things that stop people from taking action is a belief that it would be shot in the dark, it would be alone thing, it wouldn't it wouldn't accomplish anything, right, because most actions you can take yourself don't accomplish nearly as much. And to be clear that the people who built rapid response networks here they learn from other cities. They learn from Chicago, who learned from la Right, that is the lineage that I've heard presented, but they have developed and expanded because this is actually a bigger thing than operation on ices, part than either of those. But so people can do We've been put on this earth to do, which is be our best selves. And I think that there's even as hard as it is for people, I think that there's a dark beauty that they get to know who they are, and they get to know that they are people who will make sandwiches, you know, because that's the thing, and they will risk everything to make sandwiches. They will risk everything to follow ice vehicles. Imagine following a murderer down the street. This man's a murderer, yeah, mad right here shoots people.
Speaker 1: Well, not just that, right, this person has the power to kill me and not face consequences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what they're shouting at people. Yeah, and everyone is shouting at at them. Yeah yeah, and it works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's people who you wouldn't expect the people he would expect, both together alongside each other. Yeah. I think a lot about how like how much things have changed in this country in a year. Lots of it's bad, right, But like, abolish ice was a pretty niche position in twenty twenty. Let me tell you you didn't really hear it, right, Abolish ice is a compromise position.
Speaker 2: Now as the centrist position. Yeah, that is reform ice center right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I reform ice is in some parts of the Republican body right. Abolish ice is pretty much in between the two. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The political parties haven't caught up to this fact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they'd never do. They always take longer than everyone else. But let me tell you, there was you know, what would Ronald Reagan guy do when you've lost the what would Ronald Reagan guy do? You're in fucking trouble? Yeah, this country?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I love how it's like we talked to a lot of people with a lot of different political ideas. Most people didn't have. This is my political ideology expressed. Yeah, but like you know, people are like just blunt, like, well, it would be better if the politicians were doing it and they're not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's this lady who Again, the lady said, oh, there's are local cops. You don't have to worry about them. Yeah. A couple of days later it turned out. But she was like, it would be great about politicians are with us, but they're not. So we're gonna do it ourselves. Yeah, that's all you need. The lady's done more anarchism than your your average internet anarchist who's out there fed posting every day. Yeah all right, Yeah that's really all you need.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we're gonna take one more ad break.
Speaker 1: That's all you really need is advertisements.
Speaker 2: And it goes a little something like this, and we're back. I feel warmed in my belly by those advertisements.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hopere do you buy something that you don't need?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hopefully you skip past them.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you know, maybe double tap the old headphone button. It normally goes twenty seconds.
Speaker 2: See the problem is that I like, I don't usually I listen to a lot of podcasts, and I don't have cooler zone media because I have Android.
Speaker 1: Yeah so I have to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, so I the ads come home.
Speaker 1: Remember if you tag I write, Okay, if you have any issues regarding the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that'll that will definitely work.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so sometimes when I'm like, because I listen to a lot of podcasts while I'm like doing like woodworking or like yeah yeah doing some of my hands. Yeah, and so I like am like, I don't want to put down the saw in order.
Speaker 1: Yeahs, So I do it with my with my left earlone against my shoulder. It's how I skip them. Yeah, because I didn't have coolest own media either, but maybe you do, which you only a diversion about ship that doesn't bother you, Lucky, Lucky.
Speaker 2: We will have a lot more reporting. This isn't the end of the episode, but we'll have a lot more reporting about Minneapolis and the structures that people are building, and Minneapolis and Saint Paul and the outlying areas that someone kind of correctly checked me on the fact that I keep saying Minneapolis, it's just my day. Yeah, and things are different, but things are different blocked by block, but a lot of that we really want to kind of do right and we're going to write scripted, but we're just really kind of in it right now and really want to talk about this and what part of the reason we want to talk about this so soon because things happen really fast, and just that everyone we've talked to has told us that they they want people to know. You know, the horrors are getting out on some level, which is good. It is actually good that people are learning all these horrible things, but a lot of them, the scale of the resistance isn't getting out, and the efficacy of the resistance isn't getting out, And people want people to know because they want people to know that they can do it too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like, so someone had like like a shocking these Someone had a stupid opinion on the internet. Someone had said that, like talking about this makes it dangerous cities people. No, first of all, I.
Speaker 2: Mean there are things that we don't know that we shouldn't we wouldn't say, but like sure there are things that yeah, yeah, there are things that we wouldn't ask about or that people wouldn't give us interviews about if you thought they were dangerous.
Speaker 1: Right, But like, what makes it safe is that everyone is doing it right. What makes us safe is that there are more of us and what people asked us to do with share this because they are safe for review do it too. Yeah, right, there are hens of millions of people who were just as outraged as that older lady that we met on the first day. And what keeps that lady safe and your neighbor safe and her neighbor safe, and people who you've never met safe and yourself? Yeah, and yourself is you doing it too? Right? Like if it stops here, if you can't grab migrants off the street here, then you can't grab dissidence off the street somewhere else, right, And.
Speaker 2: Like you know, we've seen all over graffiti and you know, we saw a huge piece of graffiti at the ice building base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I read it into the mic. Actually it was my mic was working.
Speaker 3: First it came to the undocumented, and I said nothing because I wasn't undocumented. Then they came for the Somalis, and I said nothing because I was not Somali. Then they came for the activists, and I said nothing, for I was not an activist.
Speaker 1: Then they came for me.
Speaker 2: I am so grateful that we live in a generation that has read that poem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and seem to be taking it to harm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and more people have than I thought. And I think I think all the time about solidarity shocked to know this.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the moment that makes me cry on the most regular basis is, of course, the charge of the Rohrom, when the riders of Rohan ride to Gondor to face the anyway, even though Gondor wasn't there for them. Where was Gondor? But part of the reason that I love solidarity so much is because, like I keep joking that I'm going to write the Misanthropic Introvert Guide to Socialism m hm, because like I misanthropic introvert at that heart, right, I also love people, right, yeah, and I most I love most people over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And I grew up not proud to say, pretty self interested, right, and I was like very lost in my own head and kind of selfish. And and I very quickly esuponed as meeting anarchists and meeting people who believed in responsibility and freedom was like, oh, I am safer and more free and more able to express my full self if I am part of a community of solidarity.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so even though in the immediate moment it is more dangerous, like there's the old joke about like you don't have to be faster than the barrier. You just have to be faster than your friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That is the single worst idea in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because then bandstart eating people.
Speaker 2: Right. So if there is a monster and you can outrun someone, so you think you're safe, you now have to be the fastest person.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, right, you're safe until you're not.
Speaker 2: To be part of a community that turns around and fights the monster might be more dangerous for yourself in the immediate sense. And being someone who stands up is that, Yeah, it is that saying like, well, even though in the short term is more dangerous for me to stand up, by having been participated in a society where we stand up for each other, I am safer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And so even if that means like my literal death, like I will have been safer, even if you get like weirdly utilitarian about.
Speaker 1: It, yeah, and aggregate, you are safer. Yeah, and so is everyone else.
Speaker 2: And so it's not a it's not a charity, it's a it's a solidarity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, like solidarity is in a sense it's in your own self interest, because we want to live in a world where people will take care of each other, right, not just better, you know, like yeah, just in case we need to be taken care of. Right, But because I often think about that, I think it's John Stuart mill Right asked not for him the bell tolls, The bell tolls for thee. Like what he's saying there is not what's that bell ringing. What he's saying is I participate in humanity, and so when humanity is devalued in his case talking about bell unary bell, right, when humanity is devalued, my humanity is devalued. Yeah, And therefore, in this case where the bell is ringing for me, I am a human and when they undermine our common humanity, therefore they undermine this thing that I have. And I won't let them do that because I participate in humanity, and so, as it happens, does a person who's been subjected to inhuman violence. And so I will stand up for humanity, and in doing so, I will stand up for making a humanity that will stand up for me. Yeah, And like I think about a lot because John McCain wrote it in an obituary for the last American Yeah, Lincoln Brigade volunteer. And I don't agree with John McCain on anything really, yeah, right, but I do on that and like I was thinking about that today when I saw what would Ronald Reagan do?
Speaker 2: Guy. Yeah, because Joan mckaye is the man who believe something. He believed things I don't agree with.
Speaker 1: Yah, a lot of racist shit. Yeah. John McCain clearly thought that the Lincoln Brigadios were on the right side of history, right, right, And like Winston Churchill's nephew fort in the International Brigades, right, folks with whom I share very little in terms of politics. A lot of British upper class people fought in the International Brigades. Yeah, they probably weren't anarchists, but they were anti fascists. They were better anti fascists than the people who stayed at home. And yeah, you couldn't tweet in nineteen thirty six, but they would have been if they could. Yeah, right, because they were willing to put their bodies on the line. Yea. And many of them died. Many of them are buried in Smain, and Spanish people remember them fondly. Right. They have annual ceremonies to remember the sacrifice they made before any of the people who are attending those ceremonies are alive. And if more people had said, yeah, I'll go right like the bells ringing for me. Yeah, I'm not going to stand for a world where this happens. I'm going to fight for one where it doesn't. Then we might not have had the Holocaust, right, we might not have had the Second World War. We might not have had Stalingrad.
Speaker 2: And also all the people who found Stalingrad are the reasons that didn't get worse. Yeah, yeah, right, World War two could have been worse. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it would have been worse if people hadn't fought.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, yeah, we had stanning Gred, so the Holocaust wasn't more so that Western Europe doesn't speak German. Yeah right, Like every single one of those people who stood up to stop that probably wished that they'd stood up earlier, And every single one of those people who stood up earlier probably wish that more people had joined them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think about that a lot. It's not news to anyone who listened to this that I wrote my PhD understand a civil Warrant, think about it every day. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: If you wanted the non dramatic version of all this, you're listening to the wrong too podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, But I think a lot about like what we should learn from that? Right. I translated a piece for a zene as Strangers in the Tangled.
Speaker 2: Will Oh Yeah, it's a publishing collective that I work with.
Speaker 1: And I translated a piece by a Belgian anarchist who's referred to as a constellation of acronyms. Right, but Charles Riddle was his birth name. Louis mill A Vega was his name he lived with for most of his life. And he wrote this piece called Refuting the Legend, where he talks about like what he feels that he owes the people who died, right, And I think about that lot, Like the thing that he comes up with is that he owes the people who died the truth so that we can learn from it and do better. And he shouldn't just make them into heroes. He should make them into real people with flaws, so that people can understand their flaws and they can know what we can do better. And I think about that a lot. Right, so many people have gone before us, so many brave people have gone before us, and we owe it to them to learn, right, and I think we have. Like when I was thinking about this, when that older lady said to us, all, my father was in the Second World War, Like, and I think about it again when I saw the poem today, like we have to learn from that experience, right, and you'd have to stop it now, not when it comes for you. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the fact that we talked to multiple people, some of their families had survived the Holocaust.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the reason they were in America in many cases say grandparents have come here to feed the.
Speaker 2: Who are making comparisons to that? And you're like, they're they're not doing that lightly. And I feel like almost, you know, when we talk with the sort of grandiose things, I'm like I almost feel like I'm like, oh, we're talking about people with whistles. We're like, yeah, but we're not. I mean we are. We're talking about people with whistles.
Speaker 1: Let's hope it stops a whistles.
Speaker 2: Right, And that is what is effective right now? And it like is you know, it's spreading something and it it's going to be so interesting to see what comes of this. Everything will be changing, you know, there's no reason to specifically set up everything that you all do in whatever city or town you live in exactly the same as they do it here, but there's like so many things to learn from them, and more than anything else, the thing to learn from them is like you just show up. Yeah, it's not that every single person in the city has quit their job to do this full time, right, Obviously economies don't function like that. But you don't have to quit your job to walk outside your house when you hear someone yell help, which is what is happening with whistles and honking, right, and just spreading a culture of we take care of each other and neighborliness, right, And that is like, weirdly, fundamentally it is an American cultural idea. We're just bad at it. We've kind of forgotten a lot of it. Yeah, you know, it's like because obviously isolation is a big part of American individualism is a big part of it. But like everyone's a little bit happy when they get to like, oh, you need a you need a lawnmower, or.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I get to fix my neighbor's truck, Yeah, yeah, I love that. Yeah, get out and give some moment a change.
Speaker 2: So and one of the things that we to to maybe kind of end on, and the thing that I want to end on, you know, we're asking people like what they wish other people knew, what other people could know. And there's a couple of things that people mentioned, and we'll write more about this and pup podcasts more about this. But one of the things that people mentioned is they wish they had started earlier about knowing their neighbors. Obviously it wasn't too late. It's the whole like like with any kind of preparedness, right, You're like, you wish you so heady, Yeah, but you know now is the best you know, yesterday is the best time, and today is the next best time. Yeah, right, And like just literally knowing them, not necessarily becoming their friends, Like a lot of people are like, no, I wasn't friends with them. I just sort of knew them, you know. And then also one of the other things that people just as another thing people mentioned that they wanted people to know is that when you build these networks, you need to build autonomy into them at every level. You need to build the idea that the person who is following Ice is at the end of the day in charge of how they do that. Yeah, Like even if you know, you know, people are like, oh Ice is over here, you can't say, everyone, go do this. You can someone can suggest that, yeah, right, But having built autonomy into these nets works makes them so much stronger, and in an interesting way, partly because it makes them less predictable to ice.
Speaker 1: Right, because you never know what someone's going to, what they're comfortable when they're not comfortable.
Speaker 2: With Yeah, So like that is basically a diversity of tactics makes movements strong. If they don't know how we are going to behave they can't you know, and not just like if everyone's rowdy, no, like, are going to be real combination and when the rowdy and non rowdy support people support each other. Anyway, those are the kind of last thoughts I have before I actually sit down and look at all my notes and write something real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think for me, it's everyone here said that like that. It was funny when people were like, we were like, how do you start organizing? They were like, you know, last July we had a blog party and a potluck. Yeah, and it just seemed to be just a thing until it became the foundation of thing that exists now. Right. Yeah, if there's one thing you can do, it won't cost you any money. It will take you a little bit of time and it will probably make your life better. It is go out on your block and meet your neighbors. And I know that can be hard for people. Yeah, I know it can be scary.
Speaker 2: But we're talking like trans motherfuckers who are doing this too.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, it's people who who have more at stake than I do. Yeah, right, Like I'm the cisgender white man. For people listening, the best thing you can do is start to form community, and it could be in so many ways. One thing that I really like to do is like I have, throughout my life developed certain skills and certain hobbies, and I love to share those with people. You know, if there is someone in my neighborhood they've got a bike outside, they're trying to fix a puncha, I'm going to go help them because I've done that ten thousand times.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right. Whatever it is that is your thing that you like to talk about, that you're good at, that you know about, think of a way you could share that with people. Maybe you like to bake, maybe you like to knit, maybe whatever, it doesn't matter, It doesn't.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's people with like free hats and scarves at these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you could just be the person who knits the scarves. That's your way to contribute. If that's your way to meet your neighbors, right, put on a knitting circle, to put on a baking thing. I like to grow plants, so I'm always growing plants, and I'm stoked when my neighbors stop buy and say, hey, I really like your basil plant and I want to make which is how they pronounce it when they yes, they do yeah when they say to me, because otherwise I look at them and say, get out of my home, you know. And if they want to make something, I give them some, right, or if they say, hey, I just need a couple of tomatoes, and I noticed, of course I'm going to give them right. Whatever that is, your neighbors away for a couple of weeks. Hey, do you want me to look after the house? Your car won't start? Let me jump it, right. I have one of those little jumper packs. I love to use a little jumper pack.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, if you have a tool and someone needs to the tool, having a multi tool on you is the best way to feel good all the time because someone's like, oh I wish I had a rent, or I wish yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there you go like Superman. Yeah, do those things now. I know we have Margaret and I both hop on about this, but like, this is how you build a better world. It starts on your block. It starts by building a better neighborhood, building a better street, building a better apartment complex. Live in an apartment complex. It could be hard to see people in apartment complexes because people sort of get in the lift and put the look at the floor. But a little sign up just be like, hey, we're going to have a pot. Look, Hey, the little bit in between the pavement and the road's kind of fucked up. Anyone else want to help me put some plants in it this springtime? You know. Yeah, whatever it is that is your thing, start using that to build community, because it's community that's going to get you through this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's like, you know, I don't always like targeting people, but I just when I'm in a new place, I'm just like, hey, I just moved here. Nice to meet you. I'm so and so. Do you need my phone number? And I can do the kind of like, you know, I want you to have my phone number because I want to call me instead of the cops. I'm being too loud, right, But like you're going to make a little bit of a faux pas in certain communities by being like, hey, we should know each other. Yeah, but usually just to hey we should know each other isn't actually offending as many people as you think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I know a lot of people don't live in cities too, or some people were like I grew up very very rural. Yeah, but actually like we had to know each other because like there wasn't really anyone else you could go, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: In my mind, I'm like when I live rural, and I'm like, that's how you have to know people.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, like I remember someone's horse fell in. Wealthy people had a swimming pool, Like yeah, I lifted the horse out by myself.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, my neighbors pick out the pools walking out of my property. Yeah, it's not as big of a deal as lowers falling in, but just constantly my neighbors like my pig got out again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like like we there there are a million reasons why in rural areas, or I'd hope you were you would know people anyway. But again, like hey I'm so and so I just moved here. I just wanted to say, Hi, maybe you bake something whatever, take something go, but most people aren't going to be mad at you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well that's kind of our preliminary stuff and we're going to be doing so much more with it, but we just kind of wanted to get some ideas out while we were both in the same place in this shockingly beautiful city. Yeah, around people who are so fucking inspiring, Like, yeah, everyone we talked to is so inspiring. And even if the like the tragedy of it, you know, I feel so weird being like, here's the hopeful stuff. When I'm like we're describing it very horrible land of kidnappers, We're like, it's just like literally kidnappers have descended upon the city and like to kidnap people.
Speaker 1: That will fund the kidnappings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for cool people to cool stuff. That's the core idea of the show is that when people, you know, it's the intro, it's when people are trying to do bad things, there's people trying to do good things. And so that's why, uh, it's taking a break from history content talk about something that's just fucking happening right now. It is cool people doing cool stuff up here and or maybe more than cool because it's freezing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, freezing people doing cool stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, feel free to workshop at home, Yeah, a better way to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I don't know. I'm coming back from a place more hopeful than I left. I know, that's my my thing that I do. But like, I really believe that in the darkest times we can build beautiful things. And I don't believe that any less after being here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great thing about being a Goth. I'm beauty and the dark stuff. That's like. Anyway, we will talk to you all just for me next week and for James who knows, probably freaking tomorrow. Yeah, a couple of days here, yeah yeah, yeah, that my job was hard anyway. Yeah, good luck with everyone, and take care of your neighbors and fuck ice.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Thanks everyone for listening to all of this. And if at the end of this you are thinking that you would like to help some of the people who are on the ground, we ask people that we trusted on the ground to provide us with links to different fundraisers And basically I never share a fundraiser unless I can support it with my whole heart, and I would support it with my own wallet. The links themselves are going to be in the show notes, but there's a couple different ones. There's rent support for Neighbors and Phillips, which is a neighborhood rent support for neighbors in Central Rent support for Neighbors and Powderhorn Supplies for political art making, Protective gear for legal observers, diapers and menstrual supplies is another fundraiser. Abolish ice shirts including the shirt I am wearing right now as I record this, North Star, Frontline Street Medics and the Twin Cities swol A Tariot Aile Fund and they'll be links to both Venmo and cash app for that one. Anyway, Thank you to everyone and take care of each other.
Speaker 1: Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff is a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts on cool Zone Media, visit our website foolzonmedia dot com or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.