Speaker 1: Welcome back to those amigos. I'm Wilmer Valderama and I am Freddie Rodriguez.
Speaker 2: So last week we were talking about inspirations, right, the moments that really stuck with us, the moments that made us like, you know, like the moment when I was talking about seeing my show in the small town that I grew up in. You know, the bizarre of like, whoa, that's me on TV in the same place that I said, oh, maybe I'll be on be on TV.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Or the times that that I saw other actors speaking Spanish, right, which.
Speaker 2: I know, those are moments that really kind of told us, oh well maybe maybe us too. For me, as we are nas with someone that kind of made it obtainable. I had an accident when I first got a year. I felt like that was something that really kind of made me feel like I could I could do that, And while we were at it, we just kept talking. Yeah, so clearly we were inspired. So let's get back into it.
Speaker 3: You know, what I try to tell the younger generation is like, especially the ones that are like I'm going to be an actor and that's it, right, I go, I go. You look at people like Ron Howard right, like he started off as an actor and then became a director, you know, or even like Ben Stiller or something. You know, they're they're you got your Larry David's right, who were like they started off as writers and then they became actors. It's like, as long as you're sort of in it somehow, you know, like keep your options open. You know, maybe maybe if you explored or dug a little deeper, maybe you're you're a good writer, Maybe maybe you should also explore that as well. Maybe you should explore directing, especially now that we have the youtubes of the world and other and and and where you can shoot an entire movie on your phone. Yeah. Yeah, so so be taking advantage of that, which which also I I you know, when young actors ask me, uh, you know what, what what should I be doing? You know, I always tell them, dude, just be doing it, right, be doing it whatever it is is. Starting to just be doing it and doing it. Could be making movies for YouTube, you know, making your own stuff, you know, because every time you do it, you're gonna get better, Your skills are gonna get sharper. Maybe somebody's gonna see something you did. I mean, man, look at like Isa Rey for example, or Quinta Brunson or some of these people who did fantastic work on like YouTube and then all of a sudden somebody saw their stuff and that translated into like their own television show.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, no, that's that's that's really good.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think in my mind, like what what could I offer in this moment about ambition vision, you know, having a vision that you want to materialize, that you want to come when I become real.
Speaker 1: The truth is that you can't wait.
Speaker 2: For the opportunity to come with you, to come to you, because that's that's just kind of how it work. You really got to be ambition enough to go after it. And I always you know, I always tell young people. I was like, look, there's two ways that get this can go right. You're working, you're nine to five, and somebody goes, hey, you can be a star. He you, buddy, And I promise.
Speaker 1: You you're gonna wait a loan that for that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Or you can say I am a star. I do have the talent and I'm gonna continue to work on this craft. So in the moment I get that shot, I cannot only nail it, but hold that opportunity and stretch it into a career and ultimately, like you know, I also also tell a lot of people it's not what you it's not the movie and it's not the show.
Speaker 1: It's what you leave on that screen that gets you the next job.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I couldn't agree with that more. I mean, I've been on stuff where, you know, I work with actors who think, like, no one's gonna watch this, you know, and they'll phone it in or something. Like My biggest fear is to like do do something that I think no one's gonna watch, and then it's like on at three in the morning, and I suck in it because I thought no one was gonna see it. And then all of a sudden, like someone who's about to make a decision sees me at three in the morning on something that I'm absolutely terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know he never consisted. Yeah it's a mad.
Speaker 3: You know, Yeah, he kind of sucked in this thing I saw no I've in the morning. Yeah, So so like I don't care what it is. I remember when it you know, when I first started even doing like Network TV, you know, people were like, well, you know, you came from cable and film, and like, you know, I'm like, I don't care, man, I said, whatever, I'm delivering the same type of quality performance I did on film, like cable, whether I worked with Christian Bale or not. Like, I don't care if it's network, Like, I am always going to deliver that thing. You know, I'm never gonna phone it in or what do.
Speaker 1: You think it is?
Speaker 2: What do you think it is that drives your soul to say it like that.
Speaker 3: Because it's all I know how to do, because it's what it was taught to me when I was eighteen nineteen years old. Because I had the privilege of working with so many wonderful great.
Speaker 1: I mean came to play.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've worked with some of the greatest directors, producers, actors, writers of all time, you know, and there's just a certain level that they function in. You know, they fire on very specific cylinders, you know, and that's what I know how to do, you know. And so you know, we're in an industry where, you know, back in the day, when we were coming up, right, it was like, well, you're a TV actor, you're a commercial actor, you're a film actor or whatever.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Now it's none of that all that stuff is out the windows, you know. So like so I was taught a very specific way, and I don't care if I'm doing a freaking M and M's commercial, Like I'm going to bring that level of quality to that performances.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: And I and I never forget that someone three feet away from me is waiting for me to trip. Yeah, somebody is waiting for me to to slow down and take a deep breath and sit on the sidewalk and just rest because I think I've travel enough. Somebody is literally maybe less than five yards away from you, ready to lap you. They have to, ready to like, you know, run over you, you know, if they have to. And the only thing that holds the line for you is your level of consistency and dedication to your craft and to yourself, you know.
Speaker 1: And I think that's you know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's why I try to do so many things right, That's why you know, I venture into so many different aspects of my of my industry because I just feel in my heart, while I have the opportunity, might as well leave a little imprint in all these different places that I can show up, so then I can create an atmosphere in an environment, a landscape where like most of us can come in and make it all possible.
Speaker 1: And I don't know, I'm that dude. Man.
Speaker 2: I really feel in my heart that, like I just this is my call in here is to continue to you know, lock arms with the Freddie rodriguezz the world to say like, oh, let's keep pushing the line forward, Let's push the let's push that bar higher, you know. And I think that that's that's the gift of this moment. You know, we're entering a moment of our industry where it's the most receptive to our culture that has ever been because if now I realized we are incredibly valuable to the success of just entertainment as a whole. Yeah, corporate is following suit, you know, national communities are waking up to it, you know. And and what a gift for us to be not only alive, but to be sitting where we're sitting, to be able to shepherd and shine a light in the different directions our culture can go to. To me, you're an inspiration, Freddy. And you talk about inspirations, you talk about the people that were there along the way, and most important images that did it before you, and you did it before me, and you've done it a couple of years before me.
Speaker 1: You know, we're about almost.
Speaker 2: The same age, you know, but you started a little younger.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 2: I had to do too many no, no, not too many years, you know, enough years that I had to burn, those early years and learning how to speak English, you know.
Speaker 1: But I think the the.
Speaker 2: Idea that I could, you know, sit across from you and say, man, you you did it right. You opened the door for so many of us to continue to expand in the different directions that you had been as possible for all of us to carve those roads, you know, and you should take grades and you take pride in that. And you know, that's what those amigos is about. Like, it's about getting to know the battles, cars, the wounds, you know, how we got here and what kept us alive through the best and the worst version of our industries. And the fact that you've had the pedigree to to outrun most and outlive the best. You know, it's something I need you to be proud of. And you know, if it never anything ever happens, you know, after this conversation, I think I can at least historically recorded, so you know, so your children and children like yours can live up to a moment where someone like you existed. You know, you think back at all the people that did it before us, you know, And that's why, you know, johny with someone you brought you like, with someone with some of our you know, inspirations. The fact that in our lifetime we can tell that dude, you you broke it in half and broke it open for us too, you know, and for us to make weird choices too, right through a little outgoing with the choices we make, you know. And I was I saw myself in him because I always wanted to play dirty. I wanted to play the dirty guy, you know. I wanted to kind of dirty myself up and play something I wasn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know I was privileged enough to get to tell him that. I mean, you know, I've you know, and hopefully we'll have John on here where I get we all get to tell him this in person. But I you know, I've I've done two films with him, and I obviously i've I've said this to him face to face many times. But my sophomore year of high school. Uh, you know, I was a drama major and I was in drama class. He came to my high school to speak to my drama class. Oh way, yeah he was. He was doing Did you ever tell him? Oh yeah, oh yeah, no, no, no, we've just John and I have had extensive conversations and he came to speak to my class. He was doing Spicorama, one of his one man shows at the Stephenwolf Theater, which was only a block away from my high school. And so somehow my drama teacher, Miss Robinson, got him to come and speak to our class, right, and our class was only like you know, I don't know, twenty people or something. And he came and he spoke and I was the only Latin kid in the class, you know, and so my drama teacher was like, well, we got to introduce the one Latino kid to John, you know, the other Latino guy in here. And you know, she introduced us and then we exchanged pleasantries and I you know, and you know John and John's sense of humor, you know, he kind of rubbed me on my head and he was like, yeah, maybe one day, you know, you'll play my little brother. And then I was all cocky, you know, and I looked him in the eye and I was like, yeah, well maybe one day I'll be where you're at. And then we just kind of locked eyes for like a second, and then he left, you know. And that was like ninety two or something, and like three years later I was starring in a movie with him. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that is crazy.
Speaker 3: He did a movie called The Pest Together of course, the best, the classic for all of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we shot that movie.
Speaker 2: If any of you who's listening or watching you hear about the past and you're like, what is that, do yourself a favor right now, make it a movie night.
Speaker 1: This is this is a movie you have to watch. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then a couple of years later, like you know, I walk into this rehearsal and I'm like, you don't remember me, And he's looking at me like I'm crazy, and he's like, no, man, who the hell are You's you came to my class and he's like, well, now.
Speaker 1: We're starring this movie together.
Speaker 3: But you know, as we talk about inspiration, you know, it was it was such a moment for me to tell him how much he inspired me. And we've become good friends since and I've gotten to tell him a million times how much he's inspired me. And and that's big bro to me, you know. But but to turn it around on you, Wilmer, you know, what you've been able to achieve has been I mean just phenomenal inspirational. Listen, not only to like the next generation is coming inspirational to me man, you know, and and to your peers and the people who watch you become this incredible entrepreneur, you know, which is so incredibly important for everyone who's listening here. You know, is it important to see you on TV every single week?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you a visual representative, yes, But what you're managing to do, like even with this show right here as a producer, as a prolific producer, that you're becoming, I mean, I can't really think of too many other Latinos who have been able to do that. And for you to be put in that incredibly privileged position you must feel and I'll let you answer that, but I would imagine the sort of deep sense of responsibility. And let me tell you as somebody, as your friend, as someone who's doing this with you being able to look in I mean, I feel that you're handling that responsibility incredibly well, you know, and you're handling it. Well, oh, you're you're you're laying the foundation down for the next generation. You're laying the foundation down to make us a more commercially viable force, which is obviously the you know, you and I have had this conversation in order for latinos to become a more commercially viable force in the industry. And how important that is because once we become a commercially viable force, and we continue to prove that, we're the ones buying the tickets to come and see the new investible marketable. Yes, we're we're the ones. You know, the stuff that we put out makes money. You know, people watch uh and and you're you're, you're right at the forefront of that.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: No, thank you, Freddy. I I brother, I appreciate that. I appreciate that. And you know, I am the guy who doesn't take a bad to look back and say, like, what, you know, how much we've been laying the groundwork.
Speaker 1: You know, we just take it the day, day by day.
Speaker 2: And one at a time and try not to overwhelm myself with with you know, any grace. And I think I would just say this. I have this, this urgent desire for it to it all change. Yeah, dude, we've been waiting so long for people to understand the value. But most importantly, you know what we've contributed that continues to subliminately disappear from.
Speaker 1: History, and so to me, it goes beyond like I've seen.
Speaker 2: I read the story of the underd and twenty five Mexican infantry unit, you know, unit that was building out possible, that was dropping the rope in a Nazi infested rome during.
Speaker 1: World War Two.
Speaker 2: Then nobody wrote about one hundred and twenty five Mexicans. They were all put together in one infantry union. They were sent to the front to see where the fire was coming from, and they did some of the most heroic stuff in World War Two. You know, they make friends with the Italian villages, and they almost spoke the same language because Spanish and Italians, you know, we're so similar. You know, they send a signal to the Germans, to the Nazis that that wait a minute, look at all these Latinos speaking Spanish and Spies were saying, this is proof that Mexico has joined World WARLD two. Meanwhile, these are Mexican Americans that were coming from.
Speaker 1: A pasto Texas.
Speaker 2: And I think about stories like that, and I go, WHOA, if we knew that, if we knew.
Speaker 1: That we also fought.
Speaker 2: For the freedom and the gift that is this land to everyone, we'd feel a little differently about ourselves. We wouldn't think we're just a guess in this country. You know, if we had more images, more of our stories to be portrayed at that level, what would the world look like for my daughter?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: So, for me, like as soon as that, and I kind of almost four years ago, you know, I was always I always was in a you know, gear five, put it in six as soon as she was born, because I said, I want her to wake up to a reality when she's a teenager, when she sees her language, her culture portrayed on effortlessly and subliminately on screen. And somebody goes, wow, look at how colorful. Look at how I included this. But you look at the presentation. She goes, what are you talking about? I don't see the difference, and she almost forgets you know what it wasn't.
Speaker 1: You know, or like what it was not like you know?
Speaker 2: I think so so I think A lot of my passion comes from, like, you know, can we create a world where they can wake up and know like, oh, I can also be an attorney. I can also be the hero of my story, you know, And doesn't matter what I look like, right, And for her to get to that point where it doesn't matter what she looks like, the world has to be painted differently, and it has to be painted with the true colors you know that we commute with every single day in our country, you know, and in the world. Latinos are, Latinos are Italian, They're Japanese, right, Latinos are are you know, you know, are from everywhere. Latinos are Indians, They're Australians, They're Canadians, Latinos are everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think nothing.
Speaker 2: Will give you more joy than to be able to just continue to build a path where we can continue to.
Speaker 1: Just tell this in I mean no other way.
Speaker 2: I look at it this one story at a time, Yeah, one venture at a time, and hopefully by the time we look back, it's like and if made that cannot be raised.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, I see the urgency. I feel it, and for those listening, for those listening, there are times I look at Wilmore and I go, dude, when do you sleep this guy? This guy works so much, man, It's like, you know, and then all of a sudden he wants to do a podcast. I'm like, are you sure this is where I come to rest though? Are you sure you have the time?
Speaker 1: The podcast?
Speaker 2: Is like, you know how I forced myself to I forced you to come out.
Speaker 3: With me, you know, man, I'm just trying to keep up. Yeah, I mean, this guy is like, I'm up at four in the morning working out. I'm like, so, then when do you go to sleep?
Speaker 1: You know, like two Like what do you sleep? Like two hours a night?
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, man, five feet in behind me, there's somebody waiting to let me. And uh, you know, so I gotta have this stamina of Sonic the Hedgehog.
Speaker 1: You know that's good.
Speaker 3: That's a good comparison. Thank you, man, Thank you.
Speaker 1: I was a Sega genesis, you know.
Speaker 2: But anyways, this is a great conversation, and I hope that we ever listen to this. You know, finds similarities no matter what industry, no matter what life you're living. Hopefully some of these little nuggets that Freddie and I have been exploring you know somehow you know, connects with you and whatever spiritual, whatever subliminal or or just a soulful journey that you're on that that whatever ingredients you feil here, maybe something applies to you. And right and I and we and we hope that you continue to enjoy this journey and more inspiration, more hilarious stories, and you know, we should we should definitely see when we can get John in here. That would be that would be amazing.
Speaker 3: Legs, where are you at?
Speaker 1: Where on you're Johne?
Speaker 4: Where you at? Can I actually jump into I wanted to ask the question if you ever had the opportunity to meet one of your influences and is there something of a mantra of us saying that they imparted on you that you can give to our audience.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I got to work with Andy Garcia. We we did this movie called He played a Wild the legendary jazz musician, and I played his son in that movie. And obviously I was, you know, starstruck and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just so I was.
Speaker 3: So happy to be working with him because he was someone I looked up to so much. And I just remember one day just flat out asking him for advice, and he said to me, you know, Freddie, just stay loose, stay loose. And I was like, you know, I was rather young.
Speaker 1: I was like, Okay, stay loose, you know.
Speaker 3: And then it dawned on me later, you know, Uh, and you and I have had this conversation, you know how like you know, you're doing a scene and sometimes you'll be watching somebody in a scene and they're not loose. You know, there's there's like tension, and there's should pressure, there's tension in their in their face and their bad you just feel it, right and then and then you then you watch scenes where someone is completely relaxed, right, and it's just coming across as natural. You know, the words are flowing, the body language is flowing. Uh, and that and that and that just clicked after he imparted that on me, you know, after you bestowed that that knowledge on me. And and I would say that that probably goes for everything in life, right, It's not just sort of the scene that you're shooting at.
Speaker 1: The time, it's just stay loose. It translates across the board.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, what about you anyone ever?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, I think I I you know, I've talked about this a few times in the past, and I'm proud to bring up this memory.
Speaker 1: When I was eighteen years old, it was my first year and seventy show.
Speaker 2: Across our sound stage, Robin Williams was shooting La Doctors. You know, he was doing a guest star at La Doctors. Yeah, and he was playing a guy with elephant Titus, you know. So he he had this this whole prosthetic thing in his face and all that stuff, you know, and you know, so in between the rehearsals, you know, he came over across the way to meet kurtwood Smith, who had done Dead Boys Society. Oh yeah, you know, so Kirt with and Robin Williams are talking and I walk out and I'm literally I'm eighteen, nineteen years old, and I look up and I go, whoa, Yeah, that's Robin Williams. And as a young comedic actor, this guy is like Mount Everest, you know, like effortless heart, effortless comedy. But at a level, it's just hard to comprehend how real and natural he really was about that stuff and the energy he had. So of course I went up there and I said, Hey, Kurwin, who's your friend here?
Speaker 1: You know. And they both smiled.
Speaker 2: And I looked at Robin Williams and I said, hey, Robin, I said, mister Williams, he goes call me Robin and I said, yes, sir, thank you.
Speaker 1: Robin.
Speaker 2: Have a question for a young buck like me, you know, wants to be just like you, you know, Any word of advice and he looks at me. Yes, two words of advice. Remember and never forget that your fans, because you will have fans, are going to have three to two minutes of your time for the rest of their life. Oh yeah, what two to three minutes you want them to walk away with?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then he said and two remember and never forget that it is supposed to be fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: I was changed because I realized very quickly how important it was that everything I did was not just fun but enjoyable.
Speaker 1: You know. The idea to.
Speaker 2: Remind yourself that everything is supposed to be fun. The moment you're stressed, you talk about the lose, stay loose. You know, in order to stay loose, you gotta you gotta remember that you have to enjoy this. Relax, take a deep breath, and make sure that it's fun for you. If it's fun for you, it's going to be enjoyable for everybody else, right, And and the thing about impressions, first time impressions that perhaps sometimes are last lasting impressions. You know, two to three minutes you want people to walk away with. You know, no matter what's going on in your day, you know, remember that somebody might be going through the same and whatever you alter those two minutes to be, you know, could either help somebody could also make you comfortable the moment, you create an environmental harmony.
Speaker 1: And so that really changed everything for me. Wo fun.
Speaker 3: Do you ever find that you have a struggle with the fun aspect?
Speaker 2: I think when I struggle, it become less fun. Yeah, I think it's become what's become more less fun is that I'm running out of hours mm hmm. And it's become even more evident than my time on Earth is getting to a point where now we're I'm living up to halfway through my life and the other half is the last half.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh so so you're you're questioning mortality.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm thinking more like, with the timeline where I have left, how much more can I sneak in?
Speaker 1: You know? So like so that becomes a little not fun. You know.
Speaker 2: That's why I think I do so much as when I get up so early. That's why the all those things. There's my four year old daughter upstairs. It's just a very heavy feed, but it is. It is like a very very sobering thing, like before I leave this place, how am I going to leave it?
Speaker 1: And I'm stressful with that ship. Dude, I don't know why I do.
Speaker 3: Yes, huh, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: I I what about you? I try.
Speaker 3: I love I love going, you know, for me working, I gotta have fun. Like if I'm not having fun, I don't feel loose.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't well at this point of your career, if he's not gonna be fun, it's a no.
Speaker 3: Yeah man, yeah, but you'd be surprised. And sometimes, you know, you go on a set and it's not fun. You know, it's not fun. And I find for me anyway, you know, there are some people who thrive and when it's not fun and attention and all that. Like I don't thrive intention you know, so I try to create as much fun as I possibly could, but sometimes it just gets uh, it gets hard, you know, depending on the project.
Speaker 2: You know, and you also think that namicynamically, you know, you're not the only one going through something or some journey. Everybody else, every actor has their rules and their scars and they're totally yeah. Yeah, and it's it's you know, in that aspect, I would say, when the environment is not ideal, that's when you're responsible to change it. Not for everybody else around it, even though they're going to enjoy it, but you have responsibility to change it for you, Yeah, because that's when you're going to try the most.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So if the environment is not great, how do I make this environment better? Because it just helps me? And in retrospect, it feels selfless because you're helping everybody else get to that same frequency you know, of enjoying that moment you're living together, or really you're helping your environment because you're the one has.
Speaker 1: To be free.
Speaker 2: But it's difficult because there's very Yes, yes, I mean we should definitely talk about those those moments like how do you enter you know, around you know, an environment, a hostile environment, and how.
Speaker 3: Do you.
Speaker 2: Know, how do you roll up your sleeves and either make it better or remove yourself from it?
Speaker 1: I mean that's that's definitely an episode some of them.
Speaker 2: People need to hear about how to move themselves from toxic environments, you know. Yeah, anyways, be turning back to those amigos. Yes, it's such a such a you know, such a privilege to to share this with you, Aaron, and with Leo, and yeah, Ryan and very much Vincent, Lauren, everybody who makes this possible for everybody. And Aaron, thank you for such a provocative question.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what.
Speaker 1: I'm here for. Thank you.
Speaker 3: You got anything else in the vault?
Speaker 4: There we I'm gonna save it for future episode.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got you all right?
Speaker 2: Well, thank you everyone for joining those amigos. This was an extra bonus question. Then we love you guys. Thank you for tuning in every week, and thank you for loving the show. And and give us your feedback. Send us on Instagram all your questions and thoughts or any themes or any anything that you think we should answer to talk about more. We're out of those amigos. Talk on Instagram and uh, we'll see you guys there, see you guys there.
Speaker 1: I'm Freddie Rodriguez Widama.
Speaker 3: See you next time.
Speaker 1: M h, m hm, m h.
Speaker 3: And Wilmer Valdorama.
Speaker 1: M.
Speaker 3: Wilmer Valdorama.
Speaker 1: M h m h m hmmmm mm hm hm m hm hmmm