Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio. Hello, I'm Leana Holsten and I'm Sienna Jacob Love It, and Welcome to Tossed Popcorn, The podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Times Very Slightly Less Racist tenth Niversary edition and are now watching films at least in part directed by women, at least directed by women before a creative director took the woman off of the movie.
Speaker 2: Oh, this podcast is a safe.
Speaker 1: Is a safe banquet haul for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching Brave.
Speaker 3: It's not my fault.
Speaker 1: I didn't ask her to change you and talk beer. I just wanted her to change you.
Speaker 2: Brave and then just blare some blasting bagpipes.
Speaker 1: This twenty twelve Pixar film Okay that I looked up a little bit about it sounds like it was horrified by so many things.
Speaker 2: God, oh my god. Oh no, oh my god.
Speaker 1: No, it's okay because it's lace.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: It's just like pix.
Speaker 2: Aready better mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: Warning there will be spoilers about this Scottish old film Scottish for Scotland. Leanna, should we do our predictions first? Yea, I'd love to hear your prediction.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, of course, absolutely remember it and know what I said.
Speaker 3: Hi, Sianna, it's Leanna. I'm about to watch Breathe. I'll obviously I've seen this movie before, but Eliza never has, so I'm talking really quietly because I don't want to spoil anything. Predict red haired icon, excellent archery, mother daughter tensions, but resolutions, three little bears running around, who are those insane twins? Oh triplets? And more dune and I'll be fighting for my own hand and I'm gonna love it, and the music is gonna beautiful and I'll.
Speaker 2: Probably cry love you.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, Leanna, Yes, thank you your prediction. Yes, yes, Hi Leanna, this is Sienna. I'm about to watch Brave. I predict. I remember this having a plot that is kind of a little bit confusing. So I believe Mereda is going to she like fights with her mom and she has like two twin brothers, and like there's a lot about her mom and maybe there's like fairies or question Mark and then she goes like a little room in the woods, and she also is like doing an archery competition and she's supposed to get married, and also her mom becomes a bear and her brothers become bears too, and it's like her fault. But am I missing an entire plot point there? Because there's like thing's going on I remember. But either way, we're gonna have some mother daughter stuff going on, schooland schootland and stuff like that, and I'm excited for it. I haven't seen it in a really long time. But I love that girl, Okay, I love you, goodbye. I guess I completely remembered it.
Speaker 2: I can't believe how well you remembered all of that, all of that.
Speaker 1: I how was that since twenty twelve? For sure?
Speaker 2: Oh my god? Even the little room in the woods what Yeah, I don't know, geez.
Speaker 1: It must have been all the curly hair in this It imprinted on my brain.
Speaker 2: Representation mattered, Yeah, it really does. You see yourself on screen? You remember the full.
Speaker 1: Plot well before we start talking about it, because I would love to hear what Eliza thought. Mmmmm, Mordu Leanna Hagar.
Speaker 2: Anyway, hey girl, it's the new don k. Sorry, sorry, we got another one.
Speaker 1: It's the what's it called? The you know when you like hit a ball to follow.
Speaker 2: Through swing in a miss.
Speaker 1: No, I'm literally talking about follow through the.
Speaker 2: O with your or when you running to the base.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, follow through. I'm talking about the concept of follow through, like if you hit a ball, you need to, like pitching, hit all the way follow through. No no, no, no, no, okay, specifically following through, which is true in many many sports. I'd say volleyball follow through.
Speaker 2: Oh That's why I could never serve. I could never do an overhead serve because my arms just were like, what do you mean you're supposed to I'm done?
Speaker 1: Follow all the way? Follow through anyway. You have incredible follow through with saying Mardu.
Speaker 2: Mardu, thank you. I love saying it. I think it's so fun to say.
Speaker 1: It is so fun to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And man, it is not spelled how you would think.
Speaker 1: No. I looked it up and I was like, that's not what I've been saying. I was sure there was an N at the end too. I thought it was mar my gosh, mar Dune.
Speaker 2: Yeah. A note for next film, they can maybe put an N on there. No worries.
Speaker 1: So Leanna hay girl, Hey girl girl, how you doing I saw tell us about it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have my cowboy hat right here. I'll put it on for this spit. Oh, it won't go over my headphones. It is put on sideway.
Speaker 1: Very funny to me that you have reported to me that it's really heavy, because it looks like it. Looking at it, it makes so much sense that it could be heavy, but you would assume that it's not, just because they would make it in a way that wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Be I thought so too, But no, I was wrong.
Speaker 1: It's so as hell beautiful.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you. I love it so much. It's my prize possession. I want to put it on my wall. Beyonce, that concert was the best thing I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: I cried three times. She is stronger than my antidepressants, because you know, I'm not crying on these things, despite wanting too often. It was three hours long. She was performing for three hours. Wow, the stamina. I was tired, and I was just in the audience and I was My little knees were so sleepy, my sleepy knees. I had sleepy ees by the end of it. We are so lucky it. Trixie Mattel said about it that it's the first thing in a very long time that's made her feel proud to be an American. I was thinking of this too when you told me about this. Oh, I saw Tricksie talk about that. Wow, it was really emotional. It's emotional in terms of like her daughters are performing on stage, like Blue Ivy is out there absolutely frickin' slaying it with the choreography multiple times. Then her younger one Roomy, who's a twin, comes out during the song Protector, which is very much about being very parental towards someone protecting them and it's so freaking sweet. So that was very emotional. But then also it was so emotional in terms of so the Have you listened to the album at all, Cowboy Card.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, I listened to it when it came out, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: So the first song is called American Requiem Hello, and then the end song is called Amen, and oh my god, I have goosebumps just thinking about it again. That was the last song that she performed, and I was sobing, And.
Speaker 1: All of her.
Speaker 2: Dancers had that their costumes for that number somehow incorporated the American flag. So to see that imagery like a mostly black, almost entirely POC core of dancers wearing the American flag and singing this song whose refrain is Mercy on Me, Baby, Have Mercy on Me. It was so emotional because it feels so very like what America could be, and you can't but think about what America is now. So that was the day I saw the day that Trump sent the National Guard to Los Angeles. So it was just so so emotional. And then I yelled at a colleague at nine point thirty in the morning on Tuesday who tried to say, oh, isn't it isn't the concert isn't the tour being labeled to flop? And I hadn't spoken all morning, and I was behind my computer in the corner, and I said out loud, oh my god, shut up, Dan. And then he said, oh, but I was reading in the daily Mail, and I was like, the daily Mail read either to respect you or not. And then it is really really quiet in the office for like ten minutes.
Speaker 1: I know you were you were brave.
Speaker 2: That was brave.
Speaker 1: I was being brave. That is amazing. Yeah, it's such an emotional time to be an American right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey, girl, I mean you don't have to hate girl about that specifically, but hey, girl, go into protest tomorrow. I'm follow through in it to you. Yeah, no, King's baby, let's go.
Speaker 1: Hey girl, Well i'll see, I'll just I'll just this is completely unrelated to that. Yes, it's been that's fine, a wild time in La, very very emotional and upsetting. I mean, I haven't been facing the brunt of anything obviously personally, but like, yeah, lots of Like my friend, her they're meeting was canceled because her coworker was afraid for his parents, so he wanted to go home and just be with them. Yeah, it's really terrifying. I mean, it's just like so so it's so sad, dude. I heard a radio ad yesterday that made me, actually it made my jaw drop because I don't normally listen to the radio, but I was using I was taking my brother my brother's car, and I didn't know how to listen to any music and my phone was doing so of course, of course, so I changed. I couldn't even figure out how to like change to a channel that I liked, and I ended up on like a random one that I guess is like if not a Conservative Channel then like politically unaligned, but it was a message from Homeland Security and it was literally threatening, threatening people who live here. I mean it was like Jesus. They literally said, if you are here in this country undocumented, you're next. Oh my god and my jaw. I mean, like it is just I know, so much of our experience this year with Trump and presidency is like shock and awe. He's obviously following a blueprint of an authoritarian regime. He wants to just like copy all the stuff that all the horrible guys have done through history so he can have ultimate power because he thinks it's funny and he's like a sick person, and he's in charge tearing our country apart through the like already the weak systems that we had set up. He's just like tearing it apart. But to hear a government agency literally threaten people, Yeah, it's not even like wow, that's the next level, because I know we've been on that level. But it was really clarifying for me. I mean it was just like, wow, this is not all the times when we were mad at Republicans before, you know where it's like George Bush, Mitt Romney blah, blah blah blah blah. Yeah, threatening people like you're talking to families and people working here, like they made up this idea of this this concept, this like type of a person who who doesn't exist. Yeah, that is like I mean, I just watching them skate go a person a type of people and then threaten them publicly. Yeah, anyway, clearly it's so upsetting. But what I was gonna share for haygirl is that I bought a really big bag of dried percentence.
Speaker 2: A to be a woman, to perform.
Speaker 1: There is just so much happening.
Speaker 2: Those are those like tomatoe things, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I discovered them and call it and I was like a new fruit. I had no idea.
Speaker 2: You gave me one once. I hated it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody hates that. I love really for you. And I ordered a big bag. Okay, Unfortunately I ordered from Amazon. I'm so sorry. I haven't bought anything from Amazon in like two years. And I went, I had to buy, so I had to buy a I really needed a new we need a new tamper for our blender because my roommate broke it, all right, and I could only find it on Amazon, and so I went, well, while I'm here, maybe I'll give myself hey a treat. And what I ended up perceiving was like a two pound bag, so it's so big.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah.
Speaker 1: But anyway, thank you everybody for listening. Things are dark. Everybody keep fighting distraction. Distraction. Distraction is important. I think the energy that we put out in the world actually has a huge effect on things. Being upset and and and saying things and fighting back is significant. So hmm, anyway, there definitely it's like la is like fuck no, fuck no, get out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this city. Have you been completely built on Mexican Oh my god, I mean it literally Mexicans crazy.
Speaker 2: This is this whole country's whole thing. This is the only thing that America has to go back on. That's good. That's like, hey, we're like scrappy, like ignore the genocide and the slavery that like, we're a bunch of immigrants came here and like pulled ourselves up by our bootstraps.
Speaker 1: What our pr is insane because we managed to say, like we all came here, we immigrated here, and that's why it's an amazing country. It's like, well, we stole this land completely and hurt people to be living here as we are. But okay, you just want to talk about that. Okay, then let's do the immigrant thing. And now they're like, yeah, by the way, immigrant immigrant, we're gonna kill you. It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: The cognitive dissonance is banooners.
Speaker 1: They're trying to they're trying to make us forget. I mean, it's really like, yeah, oh, I did see a flop of a post that's going around that I saw at least one person post don't repost this. Someone posted it was one of these like it was beautifully drawn, like a graphic that said it said like I would rather be in a room with one hundred immigrants than one ICE agent. Like duh, that is not something that you should post what I would rather. I would rather be around civilian people than.
Speaker 2: One armed, insane, brainwashed military.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like yeah, dude.
Speaker 2: That's that's how everybody feels.
Speaker 1: This is that is one of the comical things that happens in this time of like really really like we're all just like trying to trying to again put that energy out there, put the we know that injustice is going on, So sometimes things can float around that are like no, wait, wait, wait, wait wait, wait, wait, yeah, that happened the day you think it means, or you're not you're not saying what you think you're saying that the thing, let's say.
Speaker 2: During the Black Lives Matter protests in twenty twenty, a lot of people they were trying to say, like, if you see injustice, you have to speak up and speak out about it and bring attention to it. But what they ended up saying was silence is consent, and all of us were like, well, whoa, hey, that's actually conflicting messaging with a whole other thing that we've been doing.
Speaker 1: You can't say that silence is consent. No no, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, that's gonna fall on the wrong years this interpret that the graph. Don't really post that, girly.
Speaker 1: It's okay, I'm gonna take a graphic. Mama, we love you. Take it down.
Speaker 2: You had the chance to add your break, would you. We'll be right back, all right. Well, well political commentary, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and gio political commentary, let's do a hard turn. This is good. I think that this this you know, our podcast is a place where we can Our podcast is a place. Our podcast is a place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like that T shirt, those T shirts that are all like, this must be the place. Our podcast is a place. This is certainly a place. Thank you everyone for coming to a place the Ganda. Let's talk about Brave Sienna. You kind of already did in your gorgeous prediction, but please, would you give again a synopsis?
Speaker 1: The Brave forgot? Yeah, let me just find where it is for forgat a cake, Brave made Deaths. Mereda doesn't want to do princess e duties. She wants to run around in the river and stuff. She doesn't want to do these princessly things, let alone get married to a boy she's never met. When three neighboring kingdoms bring their awful sons to compete for her hand in marriage a, Mereda is furious, especially at her mom, who she wishes would just listen. Through a series of magical events, she turns her mom into a bear, and they have to figure out how to break the spell. During this time, though, her mom learns how to be a little more wild like her daughter, and Mereda learns how to be less selfish and honestly do her homework to be more responsible. There's also this thing about the myth of Mordeu Mardu big ghostly bear, big ghostly bear who ate bears his dad's foot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a there's a b plot.
Speaker 1: There's a bee plot where a bear in her dad's foot. There's a thing where her a bear ate her.
Speaker 2: Just a bear, a big ghostly bear, the bear, you might say, the bear, the ultimate bear. Yeah. Bear.
Speaker 1: Turns out Mardeux is part of the same like family spell situated, like a when a family goes wrong and things get split, that someone's gonna turn into a bear.
Speaker 2: That's the prophecy.
Speaker 1: Her mom almost turns into a real bear. There are some scares there, but she turns back into a woman. Yea the end, and it's be they learned to break tradition.
Speaker 2: Yes, o Hern notes, Yes, this is the segment of the podcast where we read the notes that the other person took on their phone while watching the film. Your first note is this is your life minus the heaping stacks of meat. I was gonna ask if you felt connected to the culture, because I was like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, work, work, work, anything that's sort of like the Celtic. Yes, the old timey red, the ancient red hair that came that brought us here my yeah, my fore mothers. But then they were eating only meat like.
Speaker 2: Hey, but also pastries. True, true, she only had pastries and that's very Yes. Yeah, there's the Celtic music and the Celtic not work, specifically because Irish dance dresses growing up often the traditional team dresses incorporated. Celtic not work.
Speaker 1: Not work.
Speaker 2: Okay, Celtic not work. I'm sorry for my addiction.
Speaker 1: It's not you. It's just it's it's it's it's it's a tongue twist.
Speaker 2: Celtic not work.
Speaker 1: Lela. You said, my body goals are Willow, the wisp. You mean the little the little floating blue, that little blue floating thing that just goes ah. That is so u core. I just want to be a wisp. I want to be a gasp of air. I want for once to experience being a skinny legend. And I know it's not in the cards genetically, I do know that, but I'd love for one day to just be the skinniest little bit and be out in the forest like I like, I loved her princess vibe, the idea that this kid I love her, the princess thing, like I love her so much. A lot of times, and it sucks that, you know, she's supposed to get married at like thirteen years old to some random.
Speaker 2: We do forget that, but we do forget she's probably thirteen.
Speaker 1: A lot of princess uh films, they're kind of like shutting the tower or they have to do all the boring stuff. She lives like in a really grassy area, and there's not that much she's supposed to learn to like sew and stuff, but like you know, she basically gets to have a leisurely life where she gets to like explore nature and she has a big horse. It just seems like the best place to be a princess. Like, I'm like, this is an era where I would love that. That would mean because because your life would be so much better than everybody.
Speaker 2: That's true, and it's also so remote that, yes, you can't get bothered that often exactly.
Speaker 1: That's a big part of it.
Speaker 2: I mean, when you do get bothered, I guess it's like the most violent it could be, right, And that's kind of like what Game of Thrones is, right, right, But in the interim Princess as a princess sip a waterfall.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I enjoyed it so much. It was so pleasant, it was so smart, so honest.
Speaker 2: I'm so intrigued by your use of the adjective pleasant. I found it because I was in distress for an hour and a half.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that bear is so cute and so worried for like fifty minutes or longer. She is really worried, and it's really hard to see an animal be in distress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an animal, that's true. It is, I guess because I knew how it was such a cute bear. She is a cute bear.
Speaker 2: I did also, I literally during the movie had to keep saying to myself, it's gonna be okay. Also because Eliza was seeing it for the first time, so they were just stressed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's such a cute bear and so slick.
Speaker 2: Very she's so demure. She's the most demure little bear. I love her so much. She's so big and so polite.
Speaker 1: She's a representation for tall women everywhere because.
Speaker 2: She's a big, huge woman.
Speaker 1: She's knocking things over. But she's also very.
Speaker 2: Like sorry, sorry, ooopsie.
Speaker 1: She's a dainty giant. Yeah, Leanna, you said, Sienna, what Highland Games event do you think you'd be good at. Okay, what are the options?
Speaker 2: I want to talk about this, let's look it up. I know it's like throwing a log, archery, kind of tug of war, throwing a weight over a stick, the kind of kind of Highland Games event minus yeah, cultural performances. Okay, a caber toss. That's throwing a log, caber, anything regular cab in the caber hammer throw similar to as it is in the Olympics events. You better work wait for height. That's the one where you have a big weight and you throw it and it's supposed to go. It's basically like doing a pole vault instead of you yep, tug a war.
Speaker 1: Oh you're throwing not just a log, that's like a big stick. That's like a it's a trunk, a trunk, a full trunk. That's a whole tree.
Speaker 2: Throw in a trunk for sure. Yeah, So which one do you think you'd be best at?
Speaker 1: Humans are so funny and cute, Like what.
Speaker 2: I know, it's so important to not have anything to do because then you invent the Highland Games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your arrow and you have sticks and kegs and rocks and you're like, Okay, I'm gonna see if I can throw mind the furthest but let's make it a whole.
Speaker 2: Thing stick, yeah, which meant would you register for?
Speaker 1: So a lot of these is are strength based. In fact, all of them, I'd say, hmm, I'd say either the shot put or the keg toss m because I could wind myself around a little bit and I'd think that I could get my core into a place where I could do something nice. What about you?
Speaker 2: I would submit myself as one of the highland cows. What that was an option for judging.
Speaker 1: I'm obviously not strong.
Speaker 2: Enough to do any of these because we've got similar fringe, similar bangs. And then go by and you moo, hello moon.
Speaker 1: Move all summersalt Wait sorry hello, oh no, that's summerset Leanna. You said insane to slice the tapestry. But also so teen versus mom, Oh my gosh. They just capture this mother daughter dynamic. They really do in such a real way. It's like there's something really real and honestly like touching about the fact that this whole thing is about her being forced to get married, but she's mad at her mom because of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what the love story is, her and her mom. Like that's the love that they focus on, and that's first of all groundbreaking. It really is a genre for a princess movie to not be about. It's such happily ever after in a romantic heterosexual Relationshi, yeah, my god.
Speaker 1: And it's not like she's just like, I don't want to get married, screw everybody else. Everybody else's because that's how it can be sometimes where it's like the rest of the world has different values, and so this protagonist is to find her own way with some random person she meets. But this is like, yeah, the way it really is is you'd be mad at your mom. Your mom gave you this life, and your mom is the one whos supposed to understand you the most. You know. It's like, Mom, come on level with me. Yeah you know, yeah, you're actually gonna make me do this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Like she's not even mad at her dad because he's not even really part of it.
Speaker 2: He can barely like put two sentences together. Coord he's just thinking about that that big ghost bear.
Speaker 1: More so beautiful. Yeah, later we'll have to talk about because this was brend Brenda, Brenda Chapman. Yeah, Brenda Chapman. She dedicated this to her daughter. She's working on it for six years, and then John Lassiter took her, took her off the freaking movie, replaced her with a man.
Speaker 2: What the fuck?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I tried to look up what their creative differences are. I can look into it more. We're at our later segment.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you all.
Speaker 1: I know about John Lassiter now is that he soft metude for hugging everybody so much. Oh, which that's one of those things where in the course of the Me too movement, everything was like so horrible. We would be like, yeah, like they had sex slaves and oh, they would you know, expose themselves in front of people at work, like yeah, absolutely heinous things. So then once a hugger came around, we were like, Okay, well that's not so bad. Everyone was like okay, but imagine your boss constantly asking for hug.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't need to be hugging everybody.
Speaker 1: That is incredibly inappropriate and an obviously very touch starved woman.
Speaker 2: And I'm saying that.
Speaker 1: Because it's only the women he was asking. Obviously it's incredibly inappropriate. Yeah, So imagine this guy trying to hug all the women in the office and then being like, sorry, I don't like your work, I'm gonna take you off of it. Oh my god, oh gosh.
Speaker 2: Imagine that if at one point in Brave moret Do stops roaring and then is like, where's my hug?
Speaker 1: Give us a whole? Come on, Leonna, you said if not friend, why friend? Shaped?
Speaker 2: We have to talk about bears. Bears are so cute.
Speaker 1: They're so cute. Are you telling me that I want.
Speaker 2: Going to kill them?
Speaker 1: On?
Speaker 2: Come on?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, that whole like the man versus the bear thing, like would you rather be with a man or with a bear? And most women would choose the bear? Yeah? Do you hear about this?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yeah, I've heard about man.
Speaker 2: This was online. Yeah, yeah, you know about that. Bears are with their little, tiny round ears. There's just no world in which I wouldn't want to hug a bear.
Speaker 1: Sorry, so true. Sorry, I'm just thinking about also, like how true it is that it would be so much scarier to be trapped in the woods with a random man. Oh yeah, because a bear would be terrifying on a level of but you just yeah, there would be a chance that I could maybe get away where a man might do some weird stuff.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, a bear would a bear is much more likely to leave you alone than a man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's true. Yeah, I honestly her mom I loved as a bear. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I loved all of her little tendencies. I mean there's some of them in my badges, but oh my god, she was She really is so sleek.
Speaker 1: They were literally this movie was like what if what if a bear was like a girl? What if a bear is like a lady? Yeah? What if a bear is trying to be a lady.
Speaker 2: She's a lamee because she was trying to tell her crown on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so cute, which I didn't notice so much of this before that her whole like her mom, really feels a sense of duty. She's and she's a really good queen. She's like, I need to keep control of the kingdom, and the way that I've learned to do that is by being very formal and doing all of the queenly acting like a lady. And so she's still trying to do it even when she's turned into a bear. She's like, Okay, I'm gonna eat these berries.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm a bear. I will be using a twig forking night. Excuse me? I'm nude, I'm dude, also voiced by Emma Thompson.
Speaker 1: Really, yes, you better work, oh because the voice of the mom no way, I love her. She can't do anything.
Speaker 2: I love her so much. Oh, si Ana. You noted he said, Wow, Okay, she destroyed this woman's house. She's coming back in the spring. You guys, this woman's literally.
Speaker 1: Like, I won't be back till spring. Then they blow up her house. Imagine coming back and being like hello.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I don't think i'd be surprised. She's probably turned her mom into a bear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's probably used to all her stuff being blown up when she gets back.
Speaker 2: Also, I just like, why do you keep giving that spell to people? You know that it turned that guy into a big ghost bear. I will say he was terrorizing the highlights.
Speaker 1: Logically that was tough for me because was it her turning into a bear that made them closer? I guess? I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Guess well, and you noted they really spent the whole day eating fish and never talking about the poem.
Speaker 1: That confused me. They're like, okay, we have two days, so let's spend the first day spending a spending a lot of time at that river, which I enjoyed the montage, but the montage was just about fish. Yes, and I'm glad they spend time together. But yeah, that was like, ladies, the sun is going down.
Speaker 2: You have two days, not a long time for the assignment. Yeah, they don't. They don't try to puzzle it through. They're just focused on say the riddle, the antics. That's true, that's all true.
Speaker 1: It was strange, Leanna. You said he became a wisp, jealous.
Speaker 2: More dum gets crushed to death by a stone, first of all, incredibly skinny, okay, and then becomes as.
Speaker 1: I had a moment, we might not be able to keep this. I don't know if it's going to make sense. I had a moment where I was like, wait, is part of the spell that he has to throw this blanket over her mom? And I don't know if it was actually part of this bell but it seems like it was. No.
Speaker 2: She was just wrong.
Speaker 1: She was just wrong.
Speaker 2: She got it that meant literally mending, because.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I was gonna say, if they had mended that stone that Mardeux was, then did they have to throw that stone on Mardu? But as I was saying that out loud. He got crushed with an actual stone, crushed to death, and I went, well, yeah, I guess he did.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I think she did have the bell right.
Speaker 1: She had to mend it and then they hug.
Speaker 2: No, she didn't have to sew anything she did. She was taking it very literally. They had to mend their relationship.
Speaker 1: No, no, I think it was both. No, but then why would Mardeau have had a thing that was also broken?
Speaker 2: Just visual symbolism.
Speaker 1: But how was that the moment where she meant mended the relationship.
Speaker 2: Because she's like, please come back. All you've ever done is like be there for me and support me. I love you.
Speaker 1: Wow? She literally before damn No, ungrateful, ungrateful. Honestly, teens are the worst. Teens are teens are the devil?
Speaker 2: You're crazy. Yeah, they'll just watching a TV show which crazy. The voice of Meredith is in really and it just came out. It's super popular. She's absolutely actually Scottish and thank God, love good. But there's a teen in it. And somebody was saying, like, oh, teenagers, they they have to push you away so that they can fly the like leave the nest. But it makes it all like much more painful, and I was like, God, damn, I wonder if that is like, deep down what psychologically going on.
Speaker 1: I think there's a little bit.
Speaker 2: Also, teenagers are evil.
Speaker 1: Because I remember the first time I really was like fighting with my parents or whatever or like having conflict was about probably my senior year, right before I had to leave. So it was kind of like yeah, yeah, But then you come back and say yeah, thanks, my brain developed in yeah, thanks, thanks.
Speaker 2: As it turns out, uh, sorry about all that, and thank you, Leanna.
Speaker 1: Your final note ismg they've traded colors. Oh mere, doas wearing green and her mom is wearing blue.
Speaker 2: And your final note is bear fight.
Speaker 1: I just forgot that this ended with a bear fight. They're like, okay, we have two bears. They're gonna fight.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest, They're gonna have to fight.
Speaker 1: They're gonna fight.
Speaker 2: Chekhov's gun, no brave bear.
Speaker 1: Bear More do you may have heard of more dou But did you know that we have more podcast coming up next around after these ads, we'll be right back. Ah, well, Leanna, should we move on to our next segment, which is of course badges geese?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Please? These where we give badges for bears, bear mama, bear mama, and tradges.
Speaker 2: For tricking your mom into eating a cake that turns her into a bear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry, Mereda, that's a trage, Mereda, come on, I have so many badges. Yay, okay, because I forgot to write a bunch of down.
Speaker 2: First, my first badge is a badge for the font. I love a Celtic font.
Speaker 1: Yes, my first badge is a huge badge that I'm sure we're both we both noticed, which is the curl pattern in this movie. They clearly I think they spent like many years actually making it bounce and flow because they really spent a lot of attention on the hair. But one thing I really appreciated is that her hair doesn't have perfectly uniform curls, which would be the easy way to do it. They did it the real way, which is that she has some wisps that are longer, some that are more stretched curls, some are tighter curls, which is how curly hair works. So thank you Brave for doing that. It was so beautifulank you brave, Thank you brave.
Speaker 2: It was brave of freaking. Her hair is so gorgeous. I have such hair envy over her hair. A badge for music the music. Loved it. Love a Celtic too.
Speaker 1: Yes, I also wrote a badge for the music.
Speaker 2: It was really love you.
Speaker 1: It was kind of at first a little bit, even though this is Irish, not Scottish, it reminded me of Titanic. The wind, the wind instruments.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, but it was very beautiful. A badge for the scenery. These are all I wrote all of these before I wrote any actual notes down. This was in the opening, like ten seconds of the movie.
Speaker 1: The scenery is one of the reasons why I found this film so pleasant. It's just like everything I looked at, the scenery, the banquet halls, the it was all. It was all nice.
Speaker 2: Scotland is so beautiful.
Speaker 1: I won't go.
Speaker 2: Oh, you've got to go. It did make me excited to spend a month in Edinburgh this summer. I won't ad a chance to go like be in nature, but but I'll be in Scotland.
Speaker 1: Badge for this is something I remember noticing when I watched it at the time. I'm always very satisfied by cartoon genetics when they actually make characters look like they are the children of another, oh of the Yeah, so that she really looked like she was the child of both of her parents, like she had certain elements from each of them. And then all the sons were like the junior version of their dad. And I just find it really Yeah, yeah, those little rascals.
Speaker 2: They were funny. They were they were funny. I think they did it really. I think it's because they didn't speak. That's why I liked them.
Speaker 1: They did a good job at all the at all those extra characters, because the men could have taken up all the space, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was fun Yeah, a badge for a sheep fly through the air. When all the clans get into a big brawl at their first meeting, at one point, there's a sheep flying through the air and you just hear baha. It's really funny. It's funny.
Speaker 1: My next badge is a badge and a tradge okay. Erdadge is the first female protagonist in the Pixar universe Wow in twenty twelve. The first female protagonist. That's insane. I looked it up because I'm like, you're joking. And no, all the other ones, they were like Dory Jesse. You know, I'm like they are characters, like a side character where this was really a female story. It was the very first Pixar female story. Wow, so way to go Mereda.
Speaker 2: Oh, a badge for so sleigh in the archery scene. She is so slay, she is so slayh Yeah, big sleigh.
Speaker 1: Badge for I love Mereda. I just think I love her. She's a great character. Yeah.
Speaker 2: A badge for it's just so real. Your mother daughter dynamic feels so real.
Speaker 1: I also have a badge for the mother daughter dynamic. Oh yes, they did a really My next beautiful job, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: My next badge is a badge for using twigs as cutlery and a leaf as a napkin. I love this. Delicate bear, delicate bear, delicate bear. She's handling things gently.
Speaker 1: She's got big claws, but she's got manners. Delicated bear, delicate bear.
Speaker 2: Just a penny whistle over that, and we're in business. We've got our celtic tune.
Speaker 1: I guess those are all my badges. You're summing it up quite well, Okay.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: A badge for the eyes.
Speaker 2: To show when she is mom, when she is bearing hunting, hunting, and effective, very show. Don't tell it worked. A badge for this bear is so cute. I love this bear too. I love the sleep Bear. And my final badge is a badge for a post credits scene. Did you see this?
Speaker 1: No? What was it?
Speaker 2: Do you remember that sleepy guard with the triplets cut off the mustache? Yeah, So he's sleeping by the door and then he gets awakened by somebody saying, hey, delivery, sign here, and he has to sign a thing and then it pans out to show a wagon piled like two stories high with wood carvings.
Speaker 1: Wood carvings, I don't get.
Speaker 2: It because Mereda offered to buy all of the woodworking pieces off the Witch Spell.
Speaker 1: Oh cute.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so cute. It was very love.
Speaker 1: They got a good job on this movie. It's hard to create a whole new universe, and they really did. I loved it. Yeah. Trages, My first trage is this is the first female protagonist in the Pixar universe. Yeah, anyway, I'm glad they did it. You had to do it at some point, but damn.
Speaker 2: My first trage is okay, maybe try and knocking. When Meredith gets to the Witch's cabin, she just walks in. That's rude. That is clearly someone's residence. You should knock.
Speaker 1: She is at a rude I mean she is a princess. She's a bit entitled, I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Trage four taking a woman off of a project. Oh, I just uh, this feels like a trot back.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Behind the scenes, something occurred, situation, and it's one of these things where I'm like, however they reported on it and everything we found out about all of his hugging John Lesster's hugging later, I just don't buy whatever the reports were. I just feel like he was probably really hard to work with and Micromanagy, which I think I saw somewhere and believe, was probably like, you're doing it wrong. You're doing it wrong. I don't like this. I don't like that, and then eventually was like, yeah, she's working very well with me. I'm gonna take her off because she was probably frustrated because she was making a story about her mother daughter. You're like, hmm, maybe you should have triplets in it. So oh, anyway, those are all guesses.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but I felt a young boy dive into Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to. Everybody loves that funny cleavage lady that we have in every other movie.
Speaker 2: She was really funny.
Speaker 1: I also wasn't that put off by that scene, and I loved her.
Speaker 2: I know, yeah, yeah, a trage for I am doing too many things right now. I Leanna was doing too many things while also trying to watch Brave.
Speaker 1: What were you doing?
Speaker 2: I had some work that I had to get done. Also, our fringe our Edinburgh Fringe Festival poster design was due today, so I was like having to give feedback to Michael who was doing the design in in design because he's a designer oh as his full time job, like an interior designer, so obviously he needed to be having the reins of it. But then it wasn't like a canvas thing where we could just both be scooted. It was like having to go back and forth with edits and notes and whatever, and trying to take notes on Brave, and my brain felt like it was exploding. She felt like she was on fire. I just wanted to be doing one thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. By by by the time I was watching Brave, I had a I was fighting off a headache like a migraine, because I only get migraines when I get headaches. But I did. I did fight it off, but it was like there were a lot of bright I was really when when I'm when my head hurts a lot. I really get to notice the contrast in light on these movies because there were some very bright scenes and I was like, ouch, but I got through it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I guess my one trage would be that there are some plot things that are unclear to me. Mainly I was really I found myself really frustrated at Merida, like girl talk about the poem don't me eating fish all day? Even though really the point was that they spend time together and get on the same page, which they ended up. But right the riddle, she probably was doing the right thing. But then later when she's like everybody let me out, everybody let me out, I was like, so the tapestry, because I thought that was what fixes Yeah, so I was like just so quickly and then run out. But she did something which is so me, which is getting in the car and then finishing the project. Oh my god, okay 'let's do it in the car. And by in the car, I mean she sat on her horse and then she was swrse.
Speaker 2: Her expensive horse angus My final trage is a trage FORER that I had to keep saying to myself, it's gonna be okay. Is I wouldn't necessarily call it a comfort watch TB.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It is stressful and emotional.
Speaker 1: Will I completely get what you mean. It is stressful.
Speaker 2: You have to be willing to feel emotions when you sit down to watch this.
Speaker 1: There's something really sad about this, I guess trope, even though it's not very common where your family member could be taken away from you in a way like that, where they just forget you and become like in this case, like become a creature. You know, yeah, yeah, because it really was. I was also when when she was crying and like, mom, please don't go home. Oh man o, your mom's about to disappear because of your own yeah sakes, because of your tense thoughtlessness.
Speaker 2: It's intense, and as a kid it doesn't register as much, but.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know so many things are so much more disturbing and sad now than.
Speaker 2: I'm an adult. Also, it was really violent.
Speaker 1: It was, oh my gosh when they were throwing all the just early on, when they were throwing all the knives at the like Bear, the stuffed bear. Yeah, they want to throw a butcher knife into Mardu's head. Mardu, Yeah, yeah, those are all those are all my trages, Moleana. Shall we move on to our next segment, which is, of course, how to pretend you've seen this film before. You're at a big buffet of hagis and and cake cake and you are loading up and yeah, and Lord Dingwall, or it could be we Dingwall, which is his which is his son. Oh yeah, We Dingwall comes up to you and says, oh, I see, I see. You know, we're all here at this sort of medieval banquet hall experience. And it makes me think of a movie I liked that.
Speaker 2: Had a lot would you like it? A lot about it?
Speaker 1: Something that you liked, and it had the games in it, and then it had a bear fight, which I love.
Speaker 2: And in order to caber toss We Dingwall into the loch, We're gonna give you a few sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film Brave, Yes, We Dingwall, I've seen Brave. Meredith says something to Angus that I say to myself every morning when preparing breakfast oats.
Speaker 1: It is then olts it as. Then, yes we Dingwall, I have seen the film Brave. This is the first Pixar animation movie. Okay, it's the first Pixar movie said entirely in the historic past, which makes sense to me. It was really a different movie from what they've done. It was like a princess movie in a really specific place in history and space, and I think I loved it.
Speaker 2: Yes we Dingwall, I've seen Brave. And please stop speaking to me right now because I have to go to the archery competition because I'll be shooting for my own hand.
Speaker 1: I love her.
Speaker 2: I'll be shooting for my own hand, for my own.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, Yes, this is weird. Okay, yes we Dingwall, I have seen the film Brave. It took six years to make this movie. Mark Andrews was initially the consultant providing the Scottish themes for writer and director Brenda Chapman. However, by October twenty ten, Chapman left after four years of work, with Andrews subsequently taking over but still keeping the intended story that Chapman wrote. Okay, Originally eighty percent of the movie took place in snow, which I think would explain why the after credit or why the credits had so much snow in it.
Speaker 2: Did you notice that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was weird and.
Speaker 1: We were like, are they just doing the seasons or what? But when Chapman left the project, this is how it's written. But when Chapman left the project, so did much of the white stuff. Okay, we'll all have to go and read up on why she left. But I tried looking it up a little bit and it was kind of vague in some reports, but it says because she and John Lassiter had creative differences because he was micromanaging or something. But I'm not sure if it. This was like right before women were allowed to say what was happening.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's true.
Speaker 1: They just didn't really report on it. She kind of like unceremoniously left the project, which is I mean, it's obviously a project she cared a lot about and developed, so that must have been really painful and complex.
Speaker 2: So I don't know that's so hard because then your name is going to be attached to something that you don't have control over how it actually gets presented to the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think she's still at the Oscars, dedicated to her daughter.
Speaker 2: Weed dingwall is sidling up to me, and I could tell he's gonna speak to me about a film, and so as a distraction technique, I stand up and I point across the banquet hall and I say, oh, more do And all the men get out their weapons and sprint and pile in a corner, and I sneak away and ride off into the sunset on my expensive horse.
Speaker 1: Nay, oh, okay, two more pieces of trivia. Uh yes, we dingwall I have seen the film Brave good for them. There was originally a scene where Merida was actually interested in young mcguffin, but the scene was scrapped because they wanted to focus on the love between the mother and the daughter. Yeah, it's so good.
Speaker 2: So I love that she has no interest in any of them. I love that so much.
Speaker 1: It's just like, why would why would she get married? Just like I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know any of these boys.
Speaker 1: And then finally, two additional software programs were specially developed for the movie by Pixar the span of three years. One of them, one of these software programs, allowed simulation of Mereda's one thousand, five hundred strands of hair to move together with her movements because the hair is really giving.
Speaker 2: And that is women's rights. It is about developing a computer program to accurately show the movement of a girl's hair. Yeah, that is that's women's right.
Speaker 1: I still am glad that this, you know, I don't want to say I think even though she got taken off of it, it must have been painful and whatever happened that made it so that she couldn't finish the project, it was probably really frustrating working with her teammates on this. But whatever Brenda Chapman was able to bring it was a great it's a great girly watch. I loved it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and it's so clear that a woman worked on this.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Had had a lead role. Well, shall we move on or was there another piece of trivia? Let's move on to our segment should you watch this? Or in which we tell you if we think you should watch the film or if you should go to another castle?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Leanna's face looked completely unsure about that one. Leanna, what do you think?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh you can watch Brave. Oh I wish you would.
Speaker 1: Oh I wish you would.
Speaker 2: I wish you would watch this film. I don't even have something else you could do. Just just watch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great. I also think you can watch Brave.
Speaker 2: Yeah. See, you know what would you rate the film Brave?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna give Brave. I've really had a good time watching it. Yeah, I had a better time than I thought. I don't know what I thought, but some Pixar movies these days, they got a lot of plot going on and they just kind of last maybe forty minutes longer than they should. So I thought it was going to be part of that world, but it really wasn't. You got to see bears being cute, father daughters. Yeah, all those boys are, they're being funny. Hmmm. I would give this.
Speaker 4: Film, oh, four point eight piles of meat out of five.
Speaker 1: I really didn't have many problems with it. Oh.
Speaker 2: I think I will give Brave five tossed cabers. That's the Scottish spin off of our podcast where we watch every film tossed cabs on the Scottish Film Institute's list of one hundred greatest. I'm looking that up. Five tossed cabers. I think it'll just be the BFA again. Five tossed cabers out of five. I love this movie. I really I think ancestrally, you have no choice but to give it a five totally. It's beautiful. The animation is gorgeous, the acting is so good, the voice.
Speaker 1: Acting game is really good. It's amazing.
Speaker 2: There's bits of humor. It's definitely stressful, but you know, it makes you feel something.
Speaker 1: It was awesome. It was.
Speaker 2: It's just beautiful and it makes you appreciate your mom.
Speaker 1: And we can't forget my body goals. Yeah, oh my gosh, we did it.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's the episode. Thank you everyone so much for listening. This has been Tossed Popcorn reviewing Brave. We are all over social media at toss Popcorn on Instagram. You can find us at patreon dot com slash toss Popcorn for a bonus monthly video episode because podcasts are videos now and join us next week when we will be watching Zola. Thank you, We love you.
Speaker 1: Marduard, Yeah Morto. You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app. You know a bear is actually an anagram for ad break? Oh?
Speaker 2: Is it will be? Yes, don't look it up. We'll be right back a bear okay, A bear cake is an anagram for ad break. We'll be right back.