Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first. Like you know, to check the date of the big game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Welcome in episode one hundred and fifty What's Right with Nick Right jam Back show schedule release in the NFL comes out officially later today. Details already slowly trickling out, including the inexplicable decision to have the Detroit Lions open the season in Kansas City against the defending champion Chiefs. We will get to that, We will get to tonight's massive NBA games, and of course the Lakers lost last night. I'm sure that is where we will start the show. But before I bring Dior in, let me discuss what is not on today's show. Not making the Cup for today's show, the Knicks survive despite a late heat run. Tiger will not be playing in the PGA Championship as he's having ankle surgery. And I wasn't invited to our technical ace Victor's birthday party. Victor, I gotta tell you, man, this is a terrible move by you. And here's why I am the perfect person to invite to weddings and birthday parties. What do you mean? Not true?
Speaker 3: But go ahead?
Speaker 2: Well, no you want to? Okay, here's why I'm ninety five percent not to show up and one hundred percent to send an awesome gift. That is exactly I thread the needle perfectly of who you should want to invite to a wedding or a birthday. You're I'm probably not gonna be there, and I'll definitely send you something. But you bleue that. Vic, I don't, I mean, I don't. I mean it's just a terrible job by you, my friend. I'm sorry that if you want to.
Speaker 3: Defend yourselfs it that much? Do I get it?
Speaker 2: Go ahead? Vic? Noted exactly why do you disagree with me? Do you? Or? Before we start the.
Speaker 3: Show, not the biggest party?
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly? You don't have to worry about me showing up, and I'll send you something awesome. Like isn't that what everyone wants out of their party guests nice and present up. Yeah, I mean most people don't actually want to hang out with other people that like that.
Speaker 3: That's the yeah, Like, why would you have a party if you just well.
Speaker 2: You know what, here's the thing. We all say, oh, a party sounds great, and yet if you tell people, he almost no matter the age, once they get you know, to seniors in high school or later. Oh yeah, I'm gonna have this awesome party. By the way, no alcohol is gonna be served. No one's coming. Because people even when they're like, oh yeah, I want to have a party, what they really want to do is you know, get somewhat inebriated or make some poor decisions. And so the party itself is not the draw. The drinking without potential consequences or guilt is the draw. Like, oh man, there was a big party last night, so it can't be held accountable. So I'm just saying, I'm just the honest person. Yeah, I probably don't want to go to the party, but I'll send you a nice gift, all right. I filibustered long enough the Lakers lost, we got to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, So Lonnie Walker was unable to carry the Lakers to victory last night. I warned you on Tuesday that the Warriors were coming for their three to one revenge from twenty sixteen. Are you getting nervous yet?
Speaker 2: Not nervous at all? With a caveat surrounding Anthony Davis?
Speaker 3: Obviously so slightly noteous.
Speaker 2: Well, Anthony Davis got elbowed a head in this game. It appeared he suffered a concussion. The Lakers are now being cagey about whether or not he did or did not suffer a concussion, and we're gonna get the injury report later today. If he gets put in a concussion protocol, it's almost impossible to clear the protocol by Friday's Game six. That would be devastating for the Lakers. No, Anthony Davis and blowing the three to one lead is absolutely on the board of potential out now on Moore, Saint Anthony Davis and on concussion protocol in a moment, first, though about last night, nothing about last night was surprising. I am now forget that stupid Corgie that's going viral. I am a documented eleven for eleven incorrectly picking the winner of every single Lakers playoff game, including last night when I picked the Golden I'm sorry when I picked the Golden State Warriors. The Warriors were not going to lose three straight. They were not going to be eliminated at home, and the Lakers were just by nature going to relax a bit net because they knew they had Game six at home waiting for them. But you got to win the game six, and I believe they will win the Game six. I even believe they could win the Game six if Anthony Davis doesn't play. It would take a throwback Lebron performance. But when we say throwback, we don't mean throwback to twenty eighteen. I mean throwback to mid January. The month of January, Lebron averaged thirty five points per game. Now, that's before he injured his foot, and he has not looked quite the same since then. But I wouldn't give the Lakers a zero percent chance of winning a home playoff game against the league's worst road team, even if AD is out. But it does drastically change the math on the series. And I'll talk about what happened in last night's game pre Anthony Davis injury. In a second, but first I want to have an honest give you my honest thoughts on the NBA when it comes to concussion protocol. And this is not about Anthony Davis. This is something I have said publicly and privately before. It's not a very popular opinion, but my job isn't necessarily be popular. It's to be honest, totally understand why football needs a strict and distinct concussion protocol. I get that. Hockey, sure, those sports makes all the sense in the world. Basketball, in my opinion, is a little different.
Speaker 3: Why it's still the same health for the players.
Speaker 2: Though, but the risk of suffering another concussion is so much lower exponentially.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, but also like I feel like I guess so.
Speaker 2: I mean it is almost Volleyball's one. Sure, so volleyballs and I wasn't I was including like the major American prost volleyball, soccer. I have a lot of them because either you have in soccer it's the headers.
Speaker 3: Some very concussion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's in volleyball. It's the trajectory of the ball. Football and hockey. They are physical, violent contact sports. Anyone that plays pro football for any amount of time. It is it is almost impossible to finish an NFL career and have never suffered a concussion. NBA guys can go a decade long career and never suffer a concussion. So because the risk profile is so different, I am, and again I've said this before, this is not about the Lakers, is not about Anthony Davis. I am. I'm okay with if a guy once he is here. Let me back up a bit, if they think you may have suffered a concussion in that game and they say you cannot return to that game, I'm totally fine with it. Even if the player's like, no, I'm good, I want to go. I want to go, because there is the possibility that they are not of their right mind. They just they might they're not seeing clearly, they're not thinking clearly any of those things. But once we are a day removed, if a player has all his faculties about him and is told in basketball, listen, you suffer a concussion. You're not exhibiting any symptoms. You feel fine. However, if you were to go play and you were to suffer another concussion in such a short window of time that damnage could be terrible. I am okay with that player saying, I hear you, I understand that I am choosing to play, just like I'm okay with rock climbers. They say, oh my goodness, this is incredibly dangerous, and it says, okay, I hear you, I am making the choice. It is trickier in sports where concussions are part and parcel with the sport, almost the cost of doing business. But in basketball they are so rare that I am okay. And I know some doctors out there probably hate hearing me say this, and they vehemently disagree. So be it. I am okay with If somebody says, all right, I understand the cost benefit analysis, I've done the risk profile of this. I am comfortable taking that risk because I want to try to win a championship, because I want to keep playing. And so I don't know what's gonna happen with Anthony Davis now if he plays. There were some things last night that make me even more optimistic about the Lakers' chances. The Warriors were absolutely lights out from three in the first quarter of that game, and they could not separate. The Lakers had found a way for large parts of that game to score effectively, efficiently and somewhat easily on that Warriors defense. And it was a three point game with a minute left in the first half. The very end of the first half was brutal. The Lakers then cut it to seven, cut it to eight, cut it to nine. Then Ad goes out with an injury, and the wind is out of the sales. And so nothing from yesterday's game makes me feel like, Oh, the Warriors solved the problems the Lakers present to him. And I know Steve Kerr has talked about wanting to wear down Lebron and Anthony Davis. Well, that knife cuts both ways, because you absolutely run the risk of wearing down Steph Curry, the smallest guy out there that has the ball in his hands all the time, and he played. Steph played another forty minutes last night seven game series in round one high minutes throughout this series in super high usage. Now, speaking of Steve, the other noteworthy thing about last night's game is the referees basically decided we're gonna let them both sides play with reckless abandon That obviously impacts the Lakers far more than it impacts the Warriors because of their styles of play, and because Draymond, if you give him that latitude, will, to his credit, take as much advantage of it as is possible. I do think Steve Kerr had a little gamesmanship when he was whining about the alleged flopping on what were clear and obvious illegal screens. And I think that he got a very favorable whistle yesterday. But that is part of playoff basketball. Part of playoff basketball is working the refs, setting the narratives and getting a favorable whistle at home. And so we'll see what it looks like in Game six. Gonna I'm gonna guess Anthony Davis is gonna play, and if Ad plays, the Lakers win. If he doesn't play, it's gonna take a thirty five, ten and ten from Lebron, which would be an epic performance. But that is obviously a lot to ask of a guy in year twenty at age thirty eight.
Speaker 3: Next, the Celtics are on the verge of collapse. No amount of Demonte's sweets can save them. Now, are the Celtics cooked or do you think Doc has one more collapse left in him?
Speaker 2: Well? I don't think the Celtics are cooked, but they're in real trouble. It is in play that the Celtics comeback, that Harden has back to back brutal games, or just one brutal game, that Embid doesn't play well, and the Sixers blow a three to two lead. I'm not gonna act like this series is over at three to two. What I will act like is this though. The The amount of respect the Celtics have gotten despite not looking great, like truly great in more than a month, is baffling to me. They are a poorly coach team that for two straight years has been bad in clutch situations, whose second star in Jalen Brown, seems to be going through his own stuff. You don't know if you're gonna get start to finish. Good performances from Jason Tatum in two of the last three games he's or back to back games or two last three, I'm not sure he's the first quarter plus of the game, he's hasn't made a shot. And Philly, on the other hand, has been the best team in the league from a record standpoint since the middle of December, the best team in the league since the All Star break. They have the league MVP. Harden has played a few of his best playoff games in years, including two of his best playoff games ever in this series. They are a deep team and no one wants to believe in them. It was legitimately surprising to me how many people who voted for joe El Embiid for League MVP did so evidently believing that he was not going to play anything like in MVP. Once the playoffs started, and he was excellent in game five. He was very good until the very end of Game six, and I sorry, I'm trying to help your Mike dieor and I'm sorry. I had the excellent until the very end of game four, I should say, but then Al Horford started giving him real trouble. And this is setting up very nicely for Philly, which the only team left in the playoffs that has home court over Philly is Boston. So if Philly wins, they have home court in the conference finals against almost assuredly the Heat, maybe the Knicks, but they have a home court either way, and then a home court against anyone that comes out of the West. And Embiid's knee is looking stronger. This is setting up very well for them, which is why if they were to lose these two games, it is a devastating blow that we talk legacy. Joel Embiid currently the only MVP in league history to have never made a conference finals. He can change that tonight. But if they lose tonight and then lose a game seven, some tough questions to answer in Philly flip side. If the Celtics get bounced in round two, major changes are coming to that team. The head coach probably isn't going to be back. They didn't ever really even want that guy's I mean, that was a kind of break glass in case of emergency situation for their head coach. Now, Jalen Brown made all NBA, so they can give him the Supermax, but he sure doesn't seem to want to be a Celtic. And for the Celtics, over the last seven years, when they have had minimal expectations, they have far exceeded them, and when they have had big expectations, they have fallen short. I'll do this off the top of my head, but the Celtics, dating back twenty seventeen, they have little Isaiah Thomas, Jalen Brown's a rookie, Jason Tatum's not even there yet, and they find themselves in the conference finals, where they of course get rolled by Lebron. Twenty eighteen, big time expectations. They draft Tatum, they trade for Kyrie, They sign Gordon Hayward. Gordon Hayward breaks his leg in Game one. Kyrie then gets hurt late in the year. Going into the playoffs, they're seemingly without their two best players. Minimal expectations. They find themselves in the conference finals again against Lebron, up three to two. Lebron has two magnificent games and they lose, but still everything's looking up. Twenty nineteen, they are the overwhelming favorites in the Eastern Conference. They flame out in round two, four straight losses to Milwaukee. Kyrie's a disaster. They go nowhere, essentially. So that's two conference finals seventeen and eighteen. Nineteen doesn't work out for him. Twenty twenty was twenty twenty oh in twenty twenty is is that the that's the bubble? You know?
Speaker 3: I had faith in standard time.
Speaker 2: Today I thought I might too, but I'm now I gotta remember what the Celtics did in twenty twenty, because twenty twenty one they lost to the Nets. Twenty twenty two, they get all the way to the finals, and then this year they were damn near a pick them against the field to win the title two weeks ago, and now they could be home after round two and significant changes would be on the way if that were to happen. I think it does happen. I think Philly wins tonight next.
Speaker 3: Okay, the Suns are on life supports after getting blown out again in Denver. You've always been a Yokic hater, but if he beat KD and Booker, are you officially a joker guy?
Speaker 2: Listen? He's been outstanding and I have not been everyone. I've not been a Jokic hater. I have been a skeptic, and I did not think he deserved the two MVPs he won. Now, oddly, had he not won those two MVPs, I would have been okay with him winning this year. But he certainly shouldn't win three straight. But he's been awesome and the Nuggets look really good. I know the Suns are favored tonight. I really like Denver Tonight. I think Denver goes to Phoenix and wins. I think Denver is clearly the better team. They are the deeper team and Phoenix. They were getting nothing out of their bench, so they started playing different bench guys. But you see why Terrence Ross and TJ. Warren weren't playing earlier because while they give you a bit of a threat offensively, defensively they bring nothing to the table. And you can't just play you can't play competent playoff defense with those guys getting significant minutes. That right now, the Suns. Not to mention sham at others, the Suns are a two man team. There is not a single player now that Chris Paul's hurt on the Suns other than Booker and Durant that would crack the Nuggets rotation. Jo Kich's Yo Kitch. Booker and Durant are the three best players in this series. The next seven guys are all Nuggets, and that includes DeAndre Ayton, who you've gotta think that tonight could be his final game as a Sun. I like the Nuggets to night a lot, all right.
Speaker 3: Next, the all NBA team shopped last night. Tatam and Brown are both super Max eligible, and Job being snubbed cost him millions. What were your takeaways? And please don't make this all okay?
Speaker 2: So a few takeaways. The Jaw thing is crazy, so Diora. The way NBA contracts work is you can sign a max contract. It's the most they're allowed to pay you. It depends on how old you are. It gets more the longer you've been in the league. But then there's a supermax contract, right, So supermax is if you're on a max contract but reach some threshold, certain number of all NBA teams, League MVP, stuff like that, then they can pay you even more. So Jaws contract that he has already signed would have gone up in value by thirty nine million dollars. Wow, had he been All NBA. And he wasn't All NBA because he missed a few weeks in the middle of the season because he went on IG Live from a strip club with a gun in his hand. So it is not an exaggeration to say that dumbass video cost him thirty nine million guaranteed dollars. It's crazy, and you know he came close just for just so you guys understand, he finished with out of this so six guards, make it six forwards, three sinners, right, He finished seventh amongst guards in voting, so first guy out for the All NBA voting, he still could have made it. Like he wasn't ineligible because of the incident. He just he missed Timon so not enough people voted for him. But so jah, I mean, Jock cost himself thirty nine million bucks. That is a takeaway. I thought dearon Fox was too low. He was third team. I didn't like I Listen, nobody loves Luca more than Luca was first team. That was crazy. His team finished in eleventh place. Like, I don't love that the two first team guards, Shay and Luca, both of their teams missed the playoffs entirely. You guys said, don't make it all about Lebron. Well, I do have to acknowledge this part on Lebron. This is now nineteen years in a row. He's on in all nbaighteen. The next most all NBA selections from anyone is Duncan, Kobe and Kareem with fifteen each. Lebron's at nineteen, Bird and Magic combined for twenty. Lebron is at nineteen. And however, what is interesting is Lebron was got the least amount of votes of anyone that made any of the teams, so he came in fifteenth out of the fifteen guys that make it. The guy who came in sixteenth, oddly enough, was Anthony Davis. So Anthony Davis. You know, Lebron kind of took AD's All NBA spot, if you will. He came in sixteenth. Lebron came in fifteenth. Nothing else really jumped out at me. I think it is interesting looking at the playoffs this year that Booker missed, but it's because he missed time. But he's been unbelievable. Jannis was unanimous first team, which I found noteworthy, Embeed getting his first ever first team. Janni's Tatum, Embiid were pretty clear cut to me. Your three forward spots, the question was the guard spots, and also Damian Lillard. Despite Portland's terrible year, he did make it, which ended up costing. You know, some people would have said Josh should have gotten that spot, or Jalen Brunson should have gotten that spot. Julius Randall was the one Nick represented, but I think the All NBA voters actually did a pretty damn good job this year. And Jalen Brown made All NBA, which does mean he is now super Man eligible. All right, take quick break, come back, we play a game, our game right end, and also we discussed the Bob Huggins situation. That's all next, well's right.
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roblasts, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 3: Welcome Back Episode one fifty.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't even interrupt you that time. Good job, good welcome back there. Uh, I am gonna jump in right here. How well, sorry, we have an you can do it for the sea block and I won't ruin it, but we have I need to give an important disclaimer here. So we're gonna have some fun and play a game in a few minutes. But legendary college basketball coach Bob Huggins has been suspended, had a salary cut a million dollars, and he's gonna have to go undergo sensitivity training and some other things because he repeatedly uttered the worst homophobic slurs that exists while joking around on what I can only describe as what must be one of the worst radio shows in America. And I was debating how I wanted to discuss this, because I think it is actually there is a larger discussion to be had, but I think it is important to hear exactly what he said in the full context of what he said. So we are going to play about forty five seconds of Bob Huggins audio exactly how it aired on the radio station WLWAM, So there is not going to be any beeps here, so there is This is my full disclaimer that you're gonna hear some really awful language, and we'll play it here in the next thirty seconds. So if you want to hear the discussion, we don't want to hear the language, just come back to us in ninety seconds. And this is also my apology for anybody that is unmoored by hearing this homophobic slur. I am not doing it for shock value or for any reason other than I think it is important to hear it how exactly how it was uttered and then uttered again, and hear his and the host's reactions to it. This is a conversation about getting athletes out of the transfer portal. Huggins alludes to sex toys having been thrown on the court during a game, and here's the audio from w l W. Let's play it.
Speaker 4: I tell you what, any any school that can throw rubber penises on the floor and then say they didn't do it, My god, they can get.
Speaker 2: Away with anything, rubber peace. That was it a crosstown shootout?
Speaker 1: It was transgender night, wasn't it was.
Speaker 2: A crosstown shootout? Yeah? No, what it was was all those those guys like fine, they were very envious. They didn't have one stave. Your comments about Bob Huggins is.
Speaker 3: The best.
Speaker 2: Okay, So just blatant, unmitigated hate speech with a little from one of the hosts. Transphobia dropped in there for like no reason, no reason, I mean, is a total non sequitor, right, and then everybody yucking it up, everybody laughing.
Speaker 3: And right after he said it, the like moment of silence and like that awkward laugh moment because they like didn't know what to do. But at the same time it's kind of like.
Speaker 2: But then they immediately said, he Huggs is the best. Hudgs is they he speaks his mind, tells it like it is, He's the best. So there's a few branches of this tree. The first one is this him not being fired for this is horrifying. So just the other day, there's a baseball game in Kansas City and did you see this? Youra the negro Okay, So baseball and Kansas City, an announcer says, had an amazing time today, aid Arthur Bryant and got a tour. And he didn't say Negro League museum. He said the in word league museum. Woh wow. That to me is far different than this because that so the reason I bring that up is I am not saying there are certain things that no matter the context, no matter anything, if you say it, you're axed, You're done. The in word is probably the most hurtful word in the English language because there is some what's the word, I don't want to say, a plausible deniability, but it is not as one hundred percent cut and dry. This was intentional to hurt people that I am not. I didn't even put it on the show. I'm not saying that guy should be fired. Bob Kendrick, my very good friend, Bob Kendrick, who runs the Negro League Museum in Kansas City, who gave that man a tour, came out with a statement saying, I heard it. It's incredibly unfortunate. But I come from a place of forgiveness and grace, and I think we should, you know, give that there. I would want more information on something like that. Talk to the guy's colleagues. Does he use racist language a lot? Is there a reason to believe that maybe it was truly just a slip of the tongue those things, This is not that, and this isn't and.
Speaker 3: This is where he can deny anything.
Speaker 2: Well, no, and this is where to me, the conversation is interesting, because if he had been fired, that is not cancel culture. That is accountability. That is there being repercussions for your actions and your choices. And we have gotten to a dangerous place where I feel like in certain quarters there is the feeling that we are the pendulum. I think some people feel like the pendulum swung too far in the PC direction that everyone's worried about pro and you're not supposed to say, like I'm gonna use the generic examples people use. You're not supposed to say homeless, You're supposed to say temporarily on hows and these things that people feel like it's swung too far that way, the language police, and now I think people feel like, not only is it swinging back to an equilibrium, but it's gonna swing further to where I.
Speaker 3: Can reverting to the way that they were well and years ago.
Speaker 2: And I would say worse. I would say, in many ways, reverting worse to where it is a far more meaner spirited They're in the the pre PC culture, if you will. There was a lot of things that were said flippantly that now would be viewed as very offensive, but it was not always said with intent to hurt or dehumanize. I just real quick here on the I want to finish this point that we can have the discussion Bob Huggins there twice this and also this is not Oh my god. You know Bob Huggins caught on audio was having a private conversation. Someone was recording it. He didn't know it. He's on the radio representing a public university where his job is to help shape and mold young people. And he twice says the F word, the homophobic slur F word, in the way it is intended to be used, if you will, which is to try to masculate or demean gay men. He's talking about people throwing sex toys on the court and then calls them catholic bleeps. And the fact that West Virginia believes they can get away with not firing him is to me a bit of a canary in the coal mine of folks are going to continue to try to push these lines and just say, bleep you. The power has shifted. We will do and say what we want. And I am not the guy that calls for firings or tries to gin up.
Speaker 3: He needs to be some kind of punishment or it's just gonna keep happening.
Speaker 2: There has to be accountability for obvious black and white things and we and I'm not going to go through the strawman of what about free speech, because anyone with half a brain knows free speech.
Speaker 3: Is a hate speech.
Speaker 2: Well no, well here's that not necessarily but no, but free speech simply means that Bob Huggins can't be arrested for what he says. All that free speech means is the government cannot penalize or imprison you for what you say as long as it is not inciting violence. That is free speech. Free speech is not freedom of consequences for anything you say. And the idea that you could be He's the high, bighest or second highest paid public employee in the state of West Virginia. The only person who makes more is the head football coach. The idea that you could be the public facing face of any major company in America. Say that and not lose your gig for it is unnerving to me and so and listen. I am on live television ten hours a week. I do this live. Trust me. I am always anxious about the fact that it takes one bad moment to potentially wreck everything I've worked for my entire life. But this wasn't a bad moment. This was an intentional punchline of a joke, said twice. This wasn't a whoops, right, It wasn't a mistake. He said it with his chest like he it was. It was to illicit the exact response. He got giggles from those clowns, and and if people think I'm meaning too hard on the radio host. I did live radio for a decade. I absolutely had people that had come on the show, be callers or guests multiple times that said wildly out of line things. It is your job in that moment.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, that's not okay.
Speaker 2: It is your job in that moment to stand on what's right, no pun intended. And it's not always easy, and it's not always fun, and there are certain times where you can it's you know, what they said was kind of inappropriate, but not something you wouldn't have said. But it's not a big enough deal that you're going to you know, you're going to, you know, stop down the interview. This was as bad as it gets. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: And also like when when I was looking at the video, I was looking at the comments and people were like, imagine losing a million dollars for saying a word. But it's also like things like that, it's like saying the word. And then just because you said he's the highest paid, correct, so losing a million dollars to him, it's is he still the highest paid.
Speaker 2: Well the second highest paid, and yes, uh for public employees in the state of West Virginia.
Speaker 3: And I'm sure this isn't gonna make him just stop doing the.
Speaker 2: Well Listen, people roll their eyes at sensitivity training. If he actually does sensitivity training, believe it or not, can really work. I think most people that throw around that slur the F word, slur the moment they go to a seminar or something. And here the first hand accounts from multiple gay men about how this was what I heard being yelled at me when I was in junior high school and high school getting beat up. This was what was was said while people were attacking me because of who I am, which is talked to any gay man you know above the age of thirty and ask them if that word has been hurled at them in the midst of physical violence. My guess is eight out of ten are going to tell you, yes, if you have any type of conscience hearing that can change your behavior. But that does not mean there should not be true repercussions for that behavior. And when people are like, oh, losing a million dollars for a word, guys, words are, for the vast majority of us, the most powerful thing we have. Most of us. Do not fight, do not shoot, do not stab the most of the most powerful vehicle we have to cause joy or pain in another human being. For the vast majority of us is our words, the messages we send, and the idea that, oh, you shouldn't lose your job, Then what the should you lose your job for? And if you're West Virginia, and there's the tricky part, you were setting yourself up to be such a laughing stock. Because here's the fact of the matter. If West Virginia, when he comes back from his suspension, loses ten straight basketball games, he will be fired. So don't act like there's nothing you'll fire him for. And here's the other thing. If he used in the same type of joking manner, whatever it is, the ward there, he would have been fired, I believe, because I can't effectively coach college basketball and everybody knows you're a racist. But because West Virginia determined we do we think we have any gay guys on the team? Do we think this? It's not gonna affect his ability to recruit, right, And so it is because he singled out a marginalized group that West Virginia decided was not important enough to what he does to have a real, real significant impact. And and by the way, I'll say this, I'm thirty eight years old. Okay. I graduated high school in two thousand and three. I was in college three to seven. Absolutely I have on my record throwing around gay and even that word while joking with my high school buddies, and probably, if I'm being honest, my college buddies, and I can't. I can say is a different time? Wasn't that different of a time twenty years ago? Not that I'm proud of, but I became more aware of the impact of it, grew up, matured, and not anywhere in my vernacular. Bob Huggins is a sick see something, Your old grown ass man doing this publicly for laughs. It's shameful behavior. All right, You want to try to have some fun before we get to listener questions and comments. Yeah, let's turn the page. What game are we playing? Oh you've got the whiteboards? Wow, demons always stunk at the white boards. Oh look look at what do you look at? First of all, look at the image. Do you ever wrote something nice on our white boards? It says, let's play a game of write ends? Thank you scoot? All right, let me have the marker and then go ahead and ask the first question.
Speaker 3: Your speech hit Chi super Bowl? I can't goodness, okay, your Super Bowl champion Chiefs will open the season on Thursday night at home against the Lions. That should be blake, all.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm gonna should be uh will be this. It should be nine and a half. It will be seven and a half. And I wonder you know what I said it will be. I wonder if that line is out now that there's let me just see if they if they gave us the in if the lines anywhere? So I oh, six and a half? Oh the disrespect already disrespecting the Chiefs. Six and a half. Okay, let's lay the wood right now. Six and a half. Give me a break. So on a neutral site in the Chiefs only three and a half points better than the Lions and Jared Goff, give me a break, all right.
Speaker 3: Next, the Chiefs also have a big game on New Year's Eve against the Bengals. Your excuse for Mahomes losing to borrow this year will be okay, gosh, it's close on the whiteboard.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you're right. My excuse for Mahomes losing to borrow. First of all, I do believe the last time they played, Mahomes won and won in the game. But my excuse for Mahomes losing to Borrow, I wrote on the white board in slash A meaning not applicable, because he's not going to lose to him, Chiefs might not lose this year twenty and oh's on the board. Are you writing an answer as well? Do you?
Speaker 3: Or?
Speaker 2: I was actually okay, go ahead, what's your answer?
Speaker 3: I said, because you weren't there to cheer him on your best friend, you.
Speaker 2: Know, oh my buddy, No, I won't be there. It's New Year's Eve. That game. The line I'm now seeing all these lines, the Chiefs Bengals line is only three and a half more disrespect. I can't believe. Did folks not see the Chiefs win the Super Bowl in a rebuilding year? Next?
Speaker 3: Okay? Rumor has it Aaron Rodgers and the Jets could have could have up to six primetime games by week blank. You will be sick and tired of the Jets.
Speaker 2: M okay, I'm going to give them until week twelve, said one week one, you're already tired of the Jets. I don't think the Rogers thing's going to work great. I think they'll be fine, but since they have set the expectations at Super Bowl, Uh, I'm not I'm not a believer, and I think they are going to be oversaturated early and Rogers last year started the year off slow. I don't really trust Nat Hackett, I don't love Robert sala Is. A lot with the Jets that I just don't believe in.
Speaker 3: All right, next, Dora, Okay, your Jags have two games in London planned, had their coronation this past weekend. Are they in store for another by week blank? The Prince will will actually be whoa, the Prince will actually be in the royal family.
Speaker 2: All right, Well done on the English accent. That's first of all, sorry that your Mike's giving you trouble. Uh. The Jags are going to be good. Trevor Lawrence is going to be excellent. So I'm going to say by the divisional round, he'll actually be in the royal family. Because if he follows up last year's playoff performance of the four touchdown comeback and then playing hard against the Chiefs, but with another good playoff performance, people are gonna have to recognize that I was right about him all along.
Speaker 3: All right, Next, There is a new game day added to the NFL schedule this year. The Jets and Dolphins will be facing off on Black Friday. Black Friday off Black Friday. Football is all right?
Speaker 2: My answer to that is, and then we can get yours in a moment risky and say that because I think the NFL is playing a dangerous game here that I think that okay. So Thanksgiving were used to there being football, and then they added a third game, a night game, and people were okay with it. They are now doing a Christmas Day triple header. They're putting football. Go ahead?
Speaker 3: Sorry ahead? Is it Black Friday? The day after Thanksgiving? Thanksgiving?
Speaker 2: The day after?
Speaker 3: There are two Black Fridays, though.
Speaker 2: No, the one everybody talks about is the day after things when everything goes on sale and beginning of shopping season. They're not adding a football game on Black Friday. There are folks whose spouses don't love how much football they watch, and the more days you try to gobble up. The reason I'm saying it's risky is you risk alienating some of your audience because what will happen is it's going to I can't go as NFL's on right now. I think, you know, if you're in a relationship and you love football and your significant other doesn't they understand, Okay, Sundays during the fall, plus Monday nights and now Thursday nights. If all of a sudden it's like and Christmas and Black Friday and the day after Thanksgiving, there's a saturation limit where the significant other says, no, you're missing the game. We're going wherever, We're going to the in laws to do shopping, whatever it is. And the reason that is risky is because the moment you break the seal of you can miss games, all of a sudden, it might be like, oh, I was able to watch highlights. I Oh, I was okay. It stops being such definite appointment viewing. You've got to be locked in all Sunday. Well, honey, you missed last week and you were fine, why can't we go do something this week? So I think, you know. Mark Cuban said years ago about the NFL that pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered and that they're being risky and how much content, like how many days on the calendar they're trying to eat up. I agree with that. I think a Christmas tripleheader and a Black Friday game will be temporarily exciting and potentially a bad long term business move. All right.
Speaker 3: Next, Last year, you were the only person on earth who was in on the Jaguars. Nice call, and your twenty twenty three version of the Jaguars will be blake.
Speaker 2: I put three question marks. I don't know that yet. I'm gonna be totally honest with you, guys. I haven't done my full NFL season prep yet. A because the draft just finished, and B because of playoff basketball. So I don't have an answer to that question yet. And I don't know there will be I don't know that there will be a team that has a top five quarterback in football that everyone disrespects but me, and then I get to be gloriously correct in the greatest way imaginable. I don't know that's gonna happen.
Speaker 3: All right, Next, Okay, next one. JJ Reddick took an interview with the Raptors for their head coaching job. Because this worked out so well with Steve Nash and the Nets, JJ Reddick would be a blank head coach.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll try to be nice here. JJ Reddick would be a fine head coach, but here's the thing, what you put whack, Yeah, you'd be a whack head coach. I JJ I wish him the best. I find some of his criticisms and critiques of sports television while he's on sports television to be somewhat irritating. Clearly his passion is, you know, diagramming the best way to counter floppy action. So I wish him the best. I hope he gets the gig all right. And last, what's last one?
Speaker 3: Congratulations? You made it to one hundred and fifty shows and that seems like sort of a milestone, right Your favorite movement moment of the first one hundred and fifty shows was.
Speaker 2: Well, this one's hard because there's so many of my favorite uh uh, so I can't write them all down, but I'm I'm thinking of him right now. So the the most significant moment was the Lil Wayne interview. The Deanna Yawning compilation when she hosted with me in LA was outstanding. Your mom's first appearance where she says, my heart's beating out of my body, that that line is an old timer. Demons like learning how sports betting worked and then having real NFL gambling takes, and you last week when we were going back and forth on stuff. Those are my five favorite moments. So I don't have a singular favorite moment, but those are my five favorite moments. What did you write? Go ahead?
Speaker 3: When we talked about Dexter, that's.
Speaker 2: Your favorite moment? Yeah? That was mine with you, the Dexter Westminster stuff. That was fun going back and forth. All right, quick break? Read your listener questions. Next, what's right?
Speaker 3: Welcome back episode one. Next we're gonna answer your listener questions. First question is d day, So said Nick, you are cordially invited to our Vegas wedding on July twenty third.
Speaker 2: Listen, I need an official paper invite? Send it. I'll send you something the register.
Speaker 3: Can I come?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: I want to go?
Speaker 2: You want to go? You want to be my date to this guy's wedding. I wasn't act. Didn't I just say I don't actually go to these things?
Speaker 3: But did it? I had to?
Speaker 2: It is Vegas, DJ, Send me the invite. I'll send you something. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Next, Dalton Pope said Nick, Sorry, you're okay? So, Nick, how do you feel about seeing everyone go crazy about the corky picking the correct game? So far? While You've done the same thing, and no one else seems to care Lakers in six.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, I will say, I you know this is my wife always tells me. She's like, you need a publicist. All these people in your field that get newspaper articles and stories written about them or whatever. No, And I was like, this is not my thing. I've never understood the such and such just signed a new contract and it's worth X amount of dollars, Like why are you leaking that? Who does that benefit? And I've just never been big on that. With that said, how many games do I need to pick the winner of correctly in a row before somebody writes something. Somebody should have written something last year about my fifty to one Super Bowl exacta coming down to the final weekend of the NFL playoffs, somebody maybe should write something about my Lakers fifty to one pick that I gave out on this show that right that before tip off yesterday was down to four to one and now it's at six to one. And I mean I have on television before every single Lakers playoff game said who was going to win? And it's not like I'm simply saying every time the Lakers. I've picked correctly when they were gonna win, when they were gonna lose for eleven games in a row. So I don't know, all right.
Speaker 3: Next okay, sorry, Lord said Hey, Nick, big fan from Africa Zimbabwe loved the show.
Speaker 2: Oh love hearing that that might be our first listener. It's ever chimed in from the African continent. That's fantastic, all right?
Speaker 3: Next, Truthbear said Nick, how do you justify Sga being the first team All NBA if he's never even made the playoffs or had a winning record as a team's best place.
Speaker 2: Listen, I wouldn't I agree with you. I think I had on my first team All NBA Steph and dearon Fox. SGA should have been All NBA. But he and Luca being first team I thought was very curious given the fact that their teams missed the postseason entirely. All right.
Speaker 3: Next okay, Chris Lazo said, what are your five favorite sneakers to war?
Speaker 2: I mean sneakers wise, I basically just wear Jordan's and Lebron's and some air Force ones. That's it. Do yours wearing? Are those your mom's?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You've just taken them I've claimed them, You've claimed them? Show?
Speaker 3: Do you know that question wasn't for me?
Speaker 2: Oh? Okay, maybe it was goes what wait? I was gonna say, Doora goes shopping in her mom's closet. But the funniest thing that happens with Diora and her mother when it comes to clothes is if Doora wants clothes from Trentage, which is where we do this podcast from, her mom makes her pay the retail listed price. It's just bananas. I just I've never seen any I couldn't believe it, but it's what she does, all right.
Speaker 3: Last one, wait, I'm gonna answer. Yes, my favorite shoes are my white Oreo, our white Oreo I think they are, and then my black Jordan Force. And then my favorite shoes that I have are my Jordan one high top Obsidians.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, those are my favorites? Are good? Do yours a bit of a sneakerhead? Uh? And yeah? No? Those are all good ones, all right?
Speaker 3: Last one, Victor says, will you come to his birthday?
Speaker 2: Bash? You know, Victor, it's too little, too late now?
Speaker 3: How do you know he's not having another one?
Speaker 2: Come to my birthday? Please?
Speaker 3: You know he might be having another one. I guess you just have to send him a gift anyway.
Speaker 2: He says, it's in writing, all right, send me the details, text me the details. Vic. At the very least, I'll send dem On'sday with my with my present. That way, we'll we'll get it together, all right, good show. Enjoy the NBA playoffs this weekend. I'm gonna be in Sacramento because I booked a trip thinking I was gonna be watching Game seven Lakers Kings and said the King's got knocked out. I'm being Sacramento anyway. See you guys there, See you on TV today at three.
Speaker 3: What's right, toodles, Never shall