Speaker 1: Everybody. Welcome to Friar Territory. It's part of the Foul Territory Network. I am Darren Smith alongside Marty Caswell, per usual and the third member of our team. He's sort of a jack of all trades. You never know. We could start the show with him, or we can end the show with him, or maybe he just comes on in the middle of the show. You never know. But Kyle Hart, who's a picture with the podres, spending some time with us here on Friar Territory as we get rolling. You can subscribe to the show on YouTube wherever it is that you get your audio podcast. The podres have won three straight games. They will face the Brewers as we are recording for the second time coming up on Tuesday night. Kyle Heart, welcome to Friar Territory. Thank you very much for starting the show with us.
Speaker 2: Thank you, guys. Yeah, that's a good intro. I would say Mason Miller lives down the street, though, we might want to end the show with that guy.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, Yeah, Well I like that idea. I mean, you never know. I didn't know it till a couple of minutes ago that we would start the show with you, But like I said, you do a little bit of everything. Kyle, how's life treating you? Tell us a little bit about the experience of twenty twenty six from your standpoint being a part of this team, the ups the downs for you personally, for the squad itself, it's been an interesting year to say the least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I mean, I like where we're at right now, especially as a team for me personally. You know, started off all right, spend a little bit of time in Olpaso, obviously, kind of come come back up just really to cover Mason on his bereavement list, and then you know, was lucky enough to pitch well, and a couple other injuries and things popped up, so I've you know, just kind of ridden that out. But I think last night was one of the more fun games that we've had and kind of encapsulates like where we're at as a team. You know, it could be a rollercoaster of a game, but we're gonna, we're gonna, you know, try to find a way to win it.
Speaker 1: I remember when you got option to triple A and I remember specifically something that your manager, Craig Stammon said, which was, you know, we told Kyle Hart he is a big league player, but this is baseball and it becomes a little bit of a numbers game, and you know, he's got to explain that decision to you, and sometimes, you know, you wonder if that's just a little bit of lip service. But from Craig Stammon's experience, right having performed in that role, it sounded really sincere. And I know it's easy to say that sort of stuff. I don't know that it makes Kyle Hard or anybody else in that situation feel better when you're the one on the airplane duel Paso, But I wonder if you could talk to us a little bit just about you know, what that might have meant from his standpoint when he says, this guy's a big league pitcher, he should be pitching in the big leagues. He will be back pitching in the big leagues at some point, but yet you're the guy that's ending up packing your backs.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it was pretty clear, you know, with our roster construction, especially the bullpen side of it, like, so you know, where's the flexibility at as a move needs to be made, And AJ and Josh thinks they were very clear when they re signed me. Part of my resigning was the flexibility, and so I was appreciative of just the upfront ness that I received when it happened. And it really wasn't a big deal at all. I wasn't pitching bad, but I wasn't exactly tearing it up either, So there were some things I kind of went down. The familiarity with the Triple A coaching staff helped a lot, so we just kind of hit the ground and worked on those things, and you know, like I said, opportunity opened back up and was able to kind of come come out, come back up, and just jump right in. So I knew more likely coming into this year I would spend a little bit of time down there. Hopefully that that time has been filled, but you know, it is what it is, and like you said, it's the business of this game.
Speaker 3: Kyle.
Speaker 4: I remember a comment you made, I think at the last home stand after one of your surprise starts, when you mentioned that there was a time when you were optioned to El Paso last season and you were in a very dark place and Craig Stammond, who was a special assistant to aj pub at the time, really got you out of that dark place. Could you explain to us what happened at that time and what you were feeling and what Stamond's role in all this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't like I don't want people to take dark Place wrong. I was just I was just kind of down on myself, and not so much even from a baseball side. Just you get sent to al Paso. My family stayed back in San Diego, so I think it was more so being away from them for the first time in a while. And you're not where you want to be, your career is not going the way you wanted to go. I think that's that's the tough part of it. But I didn't know Craig really well. And he came down watched me pitch. I struggled mightily still starting at that point, and he could tell that I was not competing the way I needed to be. I was just out there throwing, hoping things would go well and that I could find myself back on a big league roster. And and he kind of lit that fire, helped me regain that perspective. And then simultaneously we started to make some some mechanical changes and stuff, and and so just him coming down there and not going through the motions as a special assistant, like Hey, Craig, we need you to go down there and check on some guys. Like he came down and was willing to to to to work and to see like who needed help, who needed who needed to look at some things differently. And I was certainly one of those guys. So I was really appreciative of it, and it quite frankly, helped me kind of get back on track.
Speaker 4: You've had, You've had quite the unusual journey in baseball. Really, it's an incredible story. You make your debut with the Boston Red Sox Red Socks, excuse me, and then you don't see you don't see the bigs for for years, and you get your chance with the Padres. What is it like for you every single time you get an opportunity to just to walk into a major league ballpark and for them to call upon you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think I use the word perspective again because I really think I do a good job of not taking it for granted with how close I was to probably being out of this game. So every day that I get to spend time with these guys in the clubhouse, on the plane, if we go golf or if I'm just sitting back, you know, watching more home through the eighth inning. Like, I don't take any of that for granted. It really is one of the best jobs you can have, and a really special part for me is just bringing my family along and getting to experience the things that we've gotten to as a group. Has probably been one of my favorite things, because, like I said, I was really close to probably being done, and and so every day is a blessing.
Speaker 1: When you mentioned close to being done. I don't know if that's because of you know, surgery, coming out of college or something along the professional way, but I think people know. Also a part of your journey has been pitching in Korea. How did that happen? If you could tell us a little bit the cliff Notes version of how Kyle Hart ended up pitching and pitching successfully, I guess winning the equivalent of the cy Young Award in Korea. How did that all come about for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a long story. That's a whole other show. But the cliff Notes basically, I got on with Tacoma in twenty three as a depth piece in Triple A, and that's where this particular Korean team scouted me and I was throwing eighty nine ninety two maybe and had no offers in the twenty four offseason, not even a minor league offer, and the NC Dinos reached out to my agent. We kind of struck a deal. Obviously, I didn't have a whole lot to negotiate and went over there. Probably the biggest cliff note is they helped me with the sweeper quite a bit, and that pitch propelled that season for the most part, and then had helped me get back over here in my opinion. Obviously did some other things really well too, but was able to stay healthy, throw one hundred and sixty innings and and learned a new pitch, you know, so that was really really really crucial.
Speaker 1: And the Korean cy Young Award, I hope I'm going to go right here, the Choi dong Wan Award. Is that right?
Speaker 2: That's correct? Yeah? You should you should google that that that man uh after this and and look at the career that that guy had. I think he in one of the Korean series. It's a seven game series. I think he threw three of the five games or something, and they were all complete games. I seriously, you should look him up though, he's crazy.
Speaker 1: Where is that award? Is that with an arms distance? Do you have it with you or is it someone?
Speaker 2: Well? I do not, I do not. It's in Cincinnati at home. Yeah, I wish it's really cool.
Speaker 4: Before we take this first break, Kyle can can you give us what did you learn any Korean? Much? Do you have a phrase?
Speaker 2: My favorite phrase is susan daw, which is basically what you say after a game, whether you win or you lose, you say susan daw. And that's just a quick way of saying like, hey, we worked hard today. You know, way to play hard. So I say it to I say it to Mooney every day. You say it whether we win or lose.
Speaker 4: Mooney's a character, he's he is sneaky, funny. I love talking to that guy.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he does.
Speaker 2: Last time.
Speaker 1: I'll stick around here for a second. We do you know, want to talk a little bit about the Brewers, about the season? Uh, and continue this conversation. We'll take a quick time out here on Friar Territory. We will return Kyle Hart picture with the San Diego Padres. We'll hang with us here for a couple of more minutes when we return after this.
Speaker 3: Seek is the official ticket marketplace for Major League Baseball, and anytime you want to go to a game, you should go to Seakeek. I used to call the director of team travel, I used to call the traveling secretary whatever they want to be called KP to try to get seat, But on sea Geek, I can pick my own seat and I can pick where I want to sit instead of being told where to sit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a great option. And summer is coming to an end here soon. I'm going out and finding all the day games possible, all the warm weather cities so I could stay in this tank top. I can watch very competitive baseball as the calendar turns in two fall. I want to make sure that I get the most out of this tank top and warm weather and sea Geek is where I would go and get my seats.
Speaker 3: You can use code territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at sek. That's ten percent off MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: All right back with you. It is Prior Territory part of the Foul Territory Network. Subscribe on YouTube wherever it is that you get your audio podcast. We appreciate some more of his time. Kyle Hart hanging with us here today. Thirty one games pitch for the Pods in twenty twenty six, four games started, five games finished. So it's just funny to look at the stat sheets see guys like Kyle and Wandi Peralta and some of the unique stats that you know, the Padres have just had to build through here this season. Before we just look ahea it. I just have one quick question because I know you went to Indiana University, which defending college football champs all of a sudden college football power. I grew up thinking about Indiana as a basketball school. I know there were a really good soccer school. I worked for the Major League Soccer team here. I think there's more Hoosiers in MLS than any other university. You also, though, were teammates with Kyle Schwarber when you went to Indiana. You guys were on the team together for a couple of years. Had you end up in Indiana, tell us a little bit about that. Experience, and obviously everybody knows what Kyle Schwarber's become in this league.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Actually, the reason I got to Indiana was Schwarber. We were playing summer ball together in Cincinnati for a couple of years and he had a few school He was almost going to be a Big ten football player. I mean, he was an unbelievable linebacker, but he chose baseball. Indiana was one of his kind of his top schools, and he signed there really early, like early junior year of high school, which is late now for the recruiting process, but back in that year, it was pretty early, and he told me, hey, you need to check this place out. I was like a lanky left he throwing eighty five to eighty six, which back then again was not terrible. And I went over there. They offered me a small scholarship and ended up committing. So he was the reason I got there, and then we played three years together. I stayed five due to injury, and he got drafted in twenty fourteen and had a crazy quick path to the big leagues and has never looked back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now here he is right like setting all sorts of records. What he has become in this league is absolutely incredible. Kyle, h to the here and now with the.
Speaker 2: Po He's the same player too, Sorry to cut you off. He's the same player since we were sixteen years old. Like, he didn't get drafted out of high school and there was forty rounds. I remember being in some middle of nowhere tournament in Ohio and he did not get drafted, And I'm like, if this guy can't get drafted in a forty round draft, I'm not going to ever play. And he's been the same guy. You could ask him, he's the same hit or just the same amount of power. He had more speed back then, but.
Speaker 1: Light tower power. Man, his chip is real places I've never seen a Peco Park, like, I've just seen him. You know. I'm sorry to you, Darvish, but like, I've never seen a ball go as far as that at Peco Park, and he's done it in other parks as well. So yeah, he's he's definitely a character here. I'm really a symbol of modern baseball as well. Kyle. You know this team now passed the trade deadline. You started four times this year. I think it's so interesting that you know, you've really become a glue guy for the podres. You know, in an era where we often think that players want to have to find roles. I need to know what my role is, right because that's how I'm going to best form. Your role is like, hey, I don't I don't need it to be defined, you know, tell me if I'm going to start, tell me a couple hours before the game, what do you need me to do in the middle? What do you need me to do today, tomorrow, wherever? Which is really it's a lot different and contrary to everything we've learned about about baseball players. Now we're through the trade deadline, tell us what it was like for the team that run that you went on right before the deadline, and then watching a couple of starting pictures come walking through the door there obviously Casey Maiz, we saw what he did last night. Or see Robbie Ray for the second time on Wednesday? What does that mean inside of a clubhouse when you guys fight your tails off to put yourself in a position that your general manager goes yes, like we're going to invest in this team.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So let me start with I think the Praig pulled me in spring training. My role was going to be a Swiss Army knife. So none of what's happened this year has been a surprise at all. Doesn't make it easy, No, it doesn't make it easy. But I knew that this was going to be the case. I think, you know, the trade deadline, This is kind of my first experience of really like seeing it up close. Obviously, I think last year I was in l Passo during it. I look back at that Marlin series, those swings that Manny and Jackson took. I was sitting in the bullpen down there watching those. I think it was back to back home runs to win the game, basically, And that's kind of when I knew, like, hey, we just battled our butts off this ten game road trip. It didn't start well, it ended well. This could this could kind of be the switch that we needed. And I think it was personally and then you know, Peler got aggressive at the deadline and brought into really really good arms. Obviously we saw it last night. I think the biggest thing for me that I've known, professionalism that those guys have brought is amazing, and you know you're not going to get to know them in one day. And I think it's a slow burn, but so far they've been really great, and just watching them the way they do things, the way that they go about their daily stuff, has been something that I've learned from and something that's going to be great for us moving forward.
Speaker 6: For the families out there looking for a new path to help your child succeed, take a look at K twelve Powered Schools. K twelve offers tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. It's all in a setting that works for your family, and K twelve has been around. They've been a leader in online education for over twenty five years, serving over three million families with flexible education options tailored to each child's needs, interests, and goals for the future. K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction and they provide real time support. Hey, we've heard Todd father on here talk about how his kids have gone through homeschooling and it's really helped them for a family that is very much on the move during his playing career. So you can see how K twelve Powered Schools can help unlock your child's full potential and roll online Today At K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K the number twelve dot com slash foul K twelve dot com slash foul.
Speaker 4: Kyle, I know that we're we're scoreboard watching. I'd imagine that you guys are as well. But how how big was that win last night? And if you're looking up, you see you know, the d Backs and they were blowing away the Rockies.
Speaker 5: You know, the Phillies had.
Speaker 4: Already won that game, but to win the way you guys did a good start from Ksemi's rebound start, a huge home run from Jackson Merrill, who's just been on a different level lately, and then Mason miller morehone during what they do. I feel like that was like a signature win for the Padres.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was definitely kind of classic Padres right there, especially against a team like that, you know, the way they throw the ball, I mean really the way they do everything. It could it could be a tight one, you know, and obviously their guy was really really good as he has been, so that's what it's going to take. As a swing like that, you know, you get it, you get a one out knock and a homer and and then you've got to take advantage from our end and the bullpen, and we did that. So uh, I think when you're you know, you're facing the Brewers, it's going to be tough again tonight. They've got one of their guys going and their bullpen's probably you know, back to strength. So I can't be more proud of Jackson and just how well he's he's stuck with it. You know. I know it didn't start well for him, but the process hasn't changed, and now he's starting to see some results. And I think the whole team is just so so happy for him and and and ready to just roll when he rolls.
Speaker 1: You know, last thing, Kyle you mentioned in Miami, you are sitting next to Mason Miller, and you know, we've loved watching Mason and the whole bullpen. I mean, it's truly one of the great strengths in the sport. He sometimes, you know, he's got to get ready quickly, right because you guys have had some of these laden and comebacks seventh inning on Monday night. We've seen it in the A thing right for all of you guys, you know, what is that? What is that like when you're there right and you know, I'm sure you guys are chatty a little bit. You know, baseball is kind of a long game. What's it like though, when the switch gets flipped for you, for him, for guys in that bullpen, when it's like okay, red alert, time to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, part part of my growing experience has been learning how to flip the switch. I always said when I was starting, I don't understand how the relievers do what they do. You know, I felt like I needed thirty forty minutes. You need all this prep time and everything. So learning how to flip that switch has been key for me, and I've learned it from guys like Wandy. I mean, watching Wandy is is really been a big, a big learning piece for me because he's he's been that Swiss army knife two for us this year. But but Mason and morohone are are so good at it two to where they can be present with you and then all of a sudden, you know, you get that two out home run or that that two run homer and more hones in the game like ten seconds later. You know, So they have that they have that ability to be so even keel, but they know in the back of their mind that one swing a couple at bats and this game can get flipped on its head and then you know. But that's that level of professionalism that we kind of try to carry down there. Mason brought it over. It's not like he learned it here. He had it, you know. But they also have that sixth sense of they know that at any point things can change, especially with our offense, and so they they never really kind of count themselves out.
Speaker 4: Wait a second, really really quick to clarify there. So it's a difficulty in flipping the switch in that situation. But you can flip a switch the day of and get a text message and find out that you're starting. That to me is you.
Speaker 2: Have hours even when you get the TAXX.
Speaker 1: You know, right, all right, well why don't you want to know, by the way, the night before if you're starting? Is it just something?
Speaker 2: No? No, no. So so they give me, some of these guys give me a hard time about it, but really what it is is I'm in the bullpen. I'm in the bullpen and a couple of times like I've been getting ready to pitch in that night's game, you know, and then we win or we lose or whatever happens the game's over. The last thing I want to do is come in from the game we were just playing and be like, hey, get ready to pitch tomorrow. You're starting, Like I need to give me a few minutes, you know, So like I just like to kind of decompress, think about the game we just played, come down off of, you know, whatever you were feeling, and then wake up the next day, reset and go from there. So it's kind of just it's just like a clean slate thing for me. I got it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, you don't want to feel like you're You're like you're pitching the same game two days in a row, right, Yeah, Like, give me a break here. I gotta feel like there's a little bit of separation. It's not just this one long, long ass a baseball game. So I think that makes it in a sense. This has been a pleasure. It's been our pleasure, Kyle. Thank you very much for taking the time. You know, we've certainly enjoyed watching you pitch and all the different roles that you've been asked to perform in and we appreciate it. Thanks very much, good luck, and we're enjoying the run here. It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys so much, had a great time.