Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan Eds Dan Patrick Show. I did not expect to say the following PGA Tour and the Live Tour are merging. That one came out of nowhere, and I guess they're still working on the details. A lot of fine print here, but looks like after the twenty twenty three season that they would be merging. Who's having a worse day Rory McElroy, J Monahan, who's the commissioner of the PGA Tour, Brandal Shamblee who works for the Golf Channel as an analysts. They're probably all the above there, although Jay Monaghan, he's going to get credit or blame here with what's happening, probably going to be label to hypocret here. Rory has fought hard for the PGA Tour. He has carried the water for quite some time. Randal Shamblee, the golf fanelist for a Golf Channel as well. Final Hour coming up. Jeffvan Gundhi of the Mothership. He'll be on the call tomorrow night. Game three with the Miami Heat and the Denver Nuggets. The Nuggets started out his two point favorites. Now it's up to two and a half. Entertainment purposes. Only the best tennis players in the world on the the red clay courts of Roland Garrols. I don't think they have that accent in France. Do they have Southern accents in France.
Speaker 2: Like southern France.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been to Nice, I've been in southern France, but I don't think they have. You know, if we we we folker jas or shay on Libra.
Speaker 2: It's it's nice, then it's no, it's it's nice knees. Are you down in south they call it?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: N I live in Nice. Yes.
Speaker 4: Don I think they say we we should guess their little southern freads accent.
Speaker 1: Roland Garros the red clay cords of Roland Garros in Paris, the French Open on NBC and Peacock not Roland Garros rolling. Hey, Roland, what's all? Hey, Roland? What you're doing, Marvin? You're trying to keep it together after what Fritz you had to say. Whenever he says something, you just start reading.
Speaker 4: Guard him.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, okay? Is it is it worse if I just go and start reading something and don't acknowledge him, yes, or if I do acknowledge you, and I might say something that is not not okay acknowledgement.
Speaker 4: It looks like he heard it then had a response that's negative.
Speaker 1: Thank you to okay, that's what I say. So you usually say that that's I'm trying to tell you, okay. Sometimes I said something.
Speaker 4: This show is brought to you by He's right onto the next thing. Let's go to Frank in Tallahassee.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Todd Well. Vegas beat the Panthers seven to last night. They're up to to oh in the Stanley Cup Final. Thank you mar That is snarky, uh ts that when the first two games of the Stanley Cup Final are forty eight to five since they started going to a best of seven. Serious if that factors in with you in your daily life. So jeffvan Gundi will join us coming up. We talked a lot about the NFL investigating the Colts defensive back Isaiah Rogers for gambling violations, and from what we've been told earlier today, there could be as many as ten to twenty other players who could be involved in this. With the NFL basically playing phone tag, they're following your phone, wherever you're placing these bets, wherever the bets are coming from. And that's what happened with Isaiah Rodgers, who has admitted that he has gambled. We don't know. He said he gambled on the Colts. I don't know if he gambled on the Colts to win or gambled on the Colts to lose. But either way, I would think he would be done for the upcoming season, and he was expected to be a starter for the Colts. Final our poll question their seaton, what do you have?
Speaker 5: Damn?
Speaker 6: We put a bunch up actually today so far? All well, we're going to start right now with who's having the worst? Dame Rory McElroy, J Monahan, Bramdles Yet okay, we also put up there off of an earlier topic. If I ran the NFL, my biggest concern would be player gambling issues, player concussions or health or none we do no wrong? Right now, seventy one percent is health and concussions. Okay, but gambling and none we do no wrong is actually tied.
Speaker 1: So that's fun. I would vote for a do no wrong. They can do no wrong. Yeah, even when they do. They don't. They survive everything. Everything's just speed bump, you know. Or it's a pothole, it's not a crater. It's just all right. Somehow got to negotiate round this or even through this, but they somehow make it all happen year in and year out. Because when it comes down to player safety, I do think the players care about their safety, but they care about that paycheck, that extra paycheck. So you can't sit here and say, hey, we really care about the player's safety, let's add a seventeenth game. Well, the players know that, Hey, yes, we care about our you know, health and safety, long term term, short short term. But look at the money that's there. An extra paycheck, it's there. And let's say I play five years, so I'm getting five more game checks. You got the pension that you have to factor in as well. I don't know if the owners the NFL doesn't care about player safety until they have to care about player safety, because if they cared about player safety, then you wouldn't have a seventeenth game. You would just say, hey, I know it's a financial winfall, but we're worried about our players. You know, they're only worried when it cost them a billion dollars in a lawsuit. I don't know if and I understand the players that are willing to roll the dice. I think you roll the dice when you play the sport to begin with. Okay, I could get hurt, I could have permanent damage here. I'm going to roll the dice in the interim, and while I'm young, I'm going to try to get as many paychecks as possible. I get it, all right, Let's see. I get a couple of phone calls in here, Matt and Iowa joins us, Hey Matt, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Hey DP, my man. Past of the day. Start out with gotta love you know, and go Stace killer love it? And for Marvin, can you reference from Ray Kwan's album Cuban Links only built for Iowa alumni player? There was reference? Okay, Austin Celtics versus Toronto Raptors.
Speaker 1: All right, we thank you, Matt, Matt and Iowa.
Speaker 4: Yes, Mark, that is a deep dive, deep cut and I'm taking the loss on that one because I haven't heard the album in full in ten years.
Speaker 1: And okay, so there's an Iowa athlete who is referenced on the album. Correct, yes, okay, Boston Celtics Toronto Raptors.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm lost.
Speaker 1: Okay, you did.
Speaker 2: The player play for Iowa then the Celtics? Is that correct?
Speaker 8: Marvin?
Speaker 4: I see Ed Horton. I am this lost now after Google ray Kwon?
Speaker 1: Hey, Matt, did Paul get it?
Speaker 7: He was drafted by the Celtics traded to the Raptors in the expansion draft?
Speaker 9: I believe?
Speaker 7: Okay, so Raptors Boston Celtics reference I'm the only built for Cuban Wings album.
Speaker 1: Because you guys are Matt, Matt, Matt, you can tell us a okay, a sero it is? Yeah, a Seero big Man drafted by the Celtics then went to the Raptors.
Speaker 4: Oh, next time, I'll use that.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you have those days where you're like, is it me or is it the audience? Like what's going on here? Mike and Fort Myers?
Speaker 3: Hi?
Speaker 1: Mike, how you doing?
Speaker 10: Dan?
Speaker 1: Break time?
Speaker 10: A long time?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Hey, this lives. PGA tour things pretty surprising. I mean, do the current PGA Tour players now have dollar signs in their eyes? I mean, are you going to get twenty million for coming in tenth place at the Memorial.
Speaker 1: Now, I think that there will be restructuring, but I think Victor Hobblin made three point two million for winning the Memorial. Do I think there's going to be this influx of money, Well, I don't know. If the Saudi's are going, hey, we want to invest in the PGA tour would seem a little hypocritical, but at this stage of the game, you're just trying to make it better in whatever means. You can guess, yes, Ton.
Speaker 4: And that initial big money was just a steal guys away to the tour. Now that it's a merger and they don't have to start showing out crazy money, they're all together now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, pulp.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Guys like Dustin Johnson. He got one hundred and twenty five million dollars signing bonus to join the Live tour. That is not refundable. It's it's in his account. So he's gonna go back and play whatever this new deal is on the PGA tour. He keeps his one twenty five for eleven months work, sorry, fifteen months work.
Speaker 1: Yeah. What happens to Greg Norman? He just to buy out kind of like over his dead body, that this was going to happen. Phil Mickelson, he wants to come back to you know, these press conferences are going to be better than the actual tournaments when these guys come back, just asking questions, Phil, uh, why did you come back? Or Randall Shamblay talking about the players coming back. The press conference is going to be pretty good.
Speaker 4: Yes, Mark Freezing Cole takes on Twitter is gonna have a field.
Speaker 1: Day with some of the oh Man And I didn't regrudge you. If you wanted to take the money, then just say take the money. But do not tell me you're making the game better because nobody cared about the live tour. You got your money, Okay, Yeah, but don't sit here and tell us that you're you're telling us that you know your altruistic motive was, we want to make the game better by playing fifty four holes, getting one hundred million dollars and we get to play loud music. I'm sorry, that doesn't make the game better. That sounds like a weekend with me and I'm not playing on the tour. Yeah.
Speaker 6: See, I just can't I need somebody to explain all of this to be yeah, because I just really can't figure it out like it feels like a loss for the PGA because they merged with Live, But at the same time Live nobody cared, nobody watched, nobody whatever. They threw away hundreds of millions of dollars, but now are more relevant. So I can't really wrap my mind around how this is all working right now. I mean, did j Monahan save golf or did he kill it? I don't really know. It's probably one of the two. Did the Live Tour get what they wanted out of this? And is this what they wanted? I don't know until the details come out. Yeah, it's all surface stuff now, yeah, pum.
Speaker 2: If you go back a year ago, but the PGA of President J Monahan seemed to be waging a war of ethics against the Live Tour, using old school American golf fans and others to say, like, look at this tour, Look who's funded by. There's some lot of very terse stuff nine to eleven related type jabs, and he was all in. And then guys like Rory McRoy carried his water all year and others Jordan Speith, and they dinged the Live Tour and maybe behind their backs they said, hey, man, we can't outspend the Saudi Royal Fund. At the end of the day, there's there a certain we have a cap of finances and if we don't do this merge now, we maybe not be to have the chance to merge.
Speaker 1: I remember when Bryson Deshamba came out and said after Brooks Kopko won, PGA's like, ah see that validates you know our tour. No it doesn't. You've got some of the best players in the world. You guys should be competing when you get a chance to compete in the majors.
Speaker 6: Yes, but if that if the public Investment Fund or whatever is essentially just throwing money, just gobs of money into a gigantic hole, why are you worried about outspending them. I live Golf, I mean it ultimately did nothing except for give a bunch of players a ton of money. It didn't really like I mean, I don't know how much the PGA really suffered with livetour. So if they're just throwing their money into a gigantic hole and not doing anything but just wasting it, then what's the problem.
Speaker 1: Well, I think the pg got hurt because marquee players were not playing, but it was. You know, this is a short period of time that we've talked about this, which is really amazing that all of a sudden you're closing up shop because I was told that the Live Tour was going to go after women. They were going to get they were going to create their own, you know, golf empire there. You were going to have a live tour for the women, You're going to have the live tour for the men, and they were going to be separate, separate entities. It just they couldn't spend enough money to get a TV deal where we might watch it. I mean, we're watching XFL and USFL and we don't even know those players. If Dustin Johnson and Brooks Kopka and some of those guys are playing, you're watching, but you know, trying to find them. And then it's fifty four holes and so I don't know who won here unless it's the golf fan yeah pulling.
Speaker 2: I think it's be interesting to find out that the PGE Tour as the name even exists a month from now, because the Lived Tour is going to want to have input on the name. PJ Tours want to have input. Also. We have four majors those are the four weekends everybody watches golf in America and worldwide. What if one of those majors is now played in riod or somewhere like that. The PJA Championship, which is the fourth of the Brothers, you know, that maybe not be played in America anymore. That could be played if I'm the lift or that's what I want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what the PGA Tour had to compromise on.
Speaker 2: That's when I'm curious, name locations, tour stops in America.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know. I don't know. I mean, if I'm the PGA Tour, I would have been, hey, you guys, stay and we don't need you. We'll move on, we'll make stars. But I'm not. I don't know the logic here, so I'd be, you know, playing darts in the dark, trying to figure out exactly what's going on and how they came to this now and kept it quiet for such a long period of time. They obviously didn't tell their players, because that didn't stop Michelson from saying things about Rory McElroy recently, and that was like during the tournament that the memorial, he was saying things so five days ago he's saying things. Four days ago he's saying things about Rory McElroy.
Speaker 6: Yeah see, yeah, I mean I don't know that just because these two there there's been this big merger that people have to play nice, now do they?
Speaker 1: I don't know as far as the golfers, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't know. I hope not. I mean, I hope there's tension out there now. I hope there's rivalries.
Speaker 2: Yes, I saw on the bottom of the press release bull sides still hate Patrick reed. It's official. They've agreed upon that night.
Speaker 1: Clear that up. Jeff Van Gundy from the Mothership will join us. Coming up next here on the Dan Patrick Show. Kings Hawaiian Sliders Sunday. How about the Philly Cheese steak slider and it's a classic so thinly sliced steak, green peppers, onions and then some provolone. That's the og that sounds damn good. King's Hawaiian original sweet roll. You love the great twist on the classic sand which. There they have the sweet rolls, the pre sliced slider buns and then the perfectly sweet and salty pretzel slider buns that can be a meal in itself, you can just snack on the pretzel slider buns. They're great whether you're barbecuing with friends, getting together, watch a big game, or a Sunday family dinner. Kings Hawaiian wants to hook you up and make every Sunday a Slider Sunday. Go to your local store and pick up those sweet, fluffy, irresistible kings Hawaiian rolls and enjoy. And by the way, they have hot dog buns as well. We had that this past Friday with all the sausages. We had a sausage off on Friday. Sausage Kingswaiian kings Hawaiian Sliders Sunday. Enjoy. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app. Jeff and Gundhi will be on the call along with Mike Brain, Mark Jackson. Game three NBA Finals Tomorrow night, tip off eight thirty Eastern on ABC. It was on this date in nineteen eighty four Kevin McHale close lines Kurt Rambus Game four NBA Finals, and I'm not sure was Kevin McHale not called for a foul in them That would have been a playoff foul. Yeah, PAULI, I'm watching the play now.
Speaker 2: It's chaos because when Rambus gets hit, he gets hit by Jerald Henderson first, and then Rambus McHale's come from the back and hooks him around the neck. But the ref is being blinded. He can't see it. I don't see a foul call.
Speaker 1: Wow, I'm reading an article here.
Speaker 6: It says in nineteen eighty four. However, maybe hard to believe, but only McHale received a foul for his action.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, yeah, that was playoff basketball back then, Jeff Right, that was a regular foul.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there wasn't.
Speaker 5: I don't know when the flagrant foul came in to being, but I just my first one that I remember is when I was an assistant with the Knicks and John Stark's clothesline Scottie Pippen in a similar manner, and I think that was.
Speaker 8: A flagrant fowl.
Speaker 5: But you're not getting thrown out for that back then, that was like bad boy slap on the wrist, put the ball back in play.
Speaker 1: Both teams are playing the we get no respect card? Which one has a better argument in this series?
Speaker 5: Neither one's a top seed in the West, and have you know was in first place since December and the other team beat the two best records in basketball on the way to the finals. So I think both have gotten the appropriate amount of credit for what they've been able to accomplish, which is immense. They've done great things, and I think this no one respects us. It may play well in their own individual locker rooms, but I don't think it's true.
Speaker 1: Is this a pivotal Game three tomorrow night?
Speaker 8: I think they always are.
Speaker 5: I think, you know the split by Miami, what a great fourth quarter they.
Speaker 8: Played, and.
Speaker 5: The two days off lets both teams gather and re energize and recharge. And I think Denver has played really good basketball for six of the eight quarters. I thought they had a bad first or really like they had two bad fourth quarters, I mean really like bad fourth quarters in both games, and their start in Game two.
Speaker 8: Was probably very unacceptable to Michael Malone.
Speaker 1: I know you have to know your team as a coach, but Michael Malone calling out his team for a lackluster performance, especially on defense. That's not Eric Spolster's playbook, but it is Michael Malone. Are you surprised at all with that tech that approach by him?
Speaker 5: You know, I've always wondered what we want out of coaches when you ask them a question. Do you want an honest response or do you want like him saying we tried hard, Because if you go back and you watch the game, there were a lot too many possessions that were either lacked intelligent process or didn't give enough effort to get the job done.
Speaker 8: So I'm not sure exactly what we wanted to say.
Speaker 5: There, like, yeah, fouling two three point shooters, love.
Speaker 8: That, we got to keep doing that. I don't know what we want from these coaches.
Speaker 5: He could talk in more cliches, he could talk more, you know, around the issues, but I think Denver and their players are used to his directness. And I think if you have the right best players, the right best players want to be talked to in a straightforward manner.
Speaker 1: Well, if he was going to be honest and then he actually called out Michael Porter Junior, then I would have said, that's a coach who's being honest because Michael Porter played horribly in that game. You're kind of lumping everybody in that we didn't play. It's like we played one hundred percent seventy percent of the time and that's why we lost this game. And then you have Eric Spolstra where Ramona Shelburn is saying, Hey, you know I'm simplifying this, but are you trying to make a joker more of a scorer than a passer? And he basically said it's an untrained eye. Reggie Miller said the same thing what Ramona said. You know, you want to keep him from passing the ball, getting everybody involved in that? Was that a crazy question by Ramona to Eric spolsterra.
Speaker 5: No, And I think if you watch the game, it would tell you that they gave less help. Now that doesn't mean they want him to score, but I think when you watch what their priorities are.
Speaker 8: When you're playing against.
Speaker 5: A great player, and I don't care who the great player is, you can't take away everything, but you need to take away something, and it usually starts with taking away easy baskets created either for.
Speaker 8: Yourself or others, and the free throws.
Speaker 5: And I think he had a couple of great passes to Gordon on cuts that led directly to easy baskets. But other than that, because they made him play a lot of one on one, he.
Speaker 8: Had to score up and through really sound defense. And so.
Speaker 5: I know what Eric is saying, like, you don't have it in your power to just say we're going to make him a score. But I think Ramona's question a spot on in that they did take away one of his great strengths.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if those players hit five of those shots, then he's got a triple double or at least close to it, and then we're not even talking about this. But they made those shots tougher on the rest of the nuggets. Therefore he didn't get those assists that he normally gets. We're talking to Jeff Van Gundi will be on the call with Mike Breen Mark Jackson game three of the Finals. That's tomorrow night at eight thirty Eastern tip off on ABC. What is going on with Kyrie Irving in Dallas.
Speaker 8: In what way?
Speaker 1: Well, the story came out that he was recruiting Lebron to come to Dallas, if you believe that, So he didn't even have a contract with the MAVs. I don't believe. But do you believe that he was trying to recruit Lebron to the MAVs this past year.
Speaker 5: I couldn't imagine that because the fit between Die Irving and James doesn't seem to be like a complementary, seamless type of fit. So and I can't imagine Lebron James leaving the Lakers.
Speaker 8: By trade.
Speaker 5: I mean, they just went to the Western Conference finals, and he has a son who's going to play at USC. He has another one who's going to be I think at junior in high school who's a very fine player. So I can't imagine James uprooting his family at this point.
Speaker 8: Doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't know if it was a leverage play on Kyrie's part or Lebron's part to maybe get Kyrie to go to the Lakers. Could you see that?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 5: I could see any I could see like the Lakers winning ky Kyrie Irving.
Speaker 8: I mean, he's obviously an extremely talented player. Now how they.
Speaker 5: Would create the cap room to be able to sign him to the value that he'll command, you know, that's problematic obviously, but I could absolutely. I mean they've won a championship together. And I think one thing Irving doesn't get credit for, even in that short stint with Dallas, is that he's able to fit in with other really good players. He fit in with Lebron James in Cleveland with Doncichi played off the ball, bar still produced at a high level.
Speaker 8: So I think he's one of.
Speaker 5: Those guys who has so much skill that he can play in many different ways and always fit in with the really special players.
Speaker 1: No halftime, no free throws. You've been throwing these out when you get bored. Is that what's going on?
Speaker 11: Jeff?
Speaker 5: Well, somebody said to me, I don't agree with you, right, And I said, sometimes I don't even agree with myself after much consideration. But can we start smaller? Let's start smaller. Let's go to the international rule on when the ball hits the rim, the ball is live and there's no goaltending. Once the ball hits the rem it you can knock it away or you can put it in. I think would add a lot of really good athletic play, and it would also relieve the officials from making what's.
Speaker 8: Nearly an impossible call. So let's start there.
Speaker 3: I still don't believe the only guy who loves free throws is like Mike Braen. He loves talking about free throws, and I always kid him. He loves to wax poetic during free throws about a sob story that's been overcome.
Speaker 8: But it's really the extra point of football.
Speaker 5: It's boring, it's like, it's time consuming, and so I would like to, you know, take that out of the game until the last four minutes where pressure free throws.
Speaker 8: Obviously you wouldn't want to take that away.
Speaker 1: Well, we move the extra point back in football, So why don't we move the free throw back to the top of the key?
Speaker 8: Now we're talking, Now we're talking.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's do that. All right, let's do that.
Speaker 5: Or let's even get a new line in between the free throw line and the top of the key. Or or even hey, let's go for something like usflish if you if you want to shoot a three, you could get an extra half point. I don't know, let's spice it up. The free throw game is.
Speaker 1: Born, okay, and you can't get dap at the free throw line. We have to do away with slapping hands if you make the free throw or miss the free throw. It's a waste of time.
Speaker 5: Agreed, And if you miss the free throw there should be some point of shame and humilia.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, so we're workship shopping this. I'm fine with takeaway offensive goaltending h free throws. Let's move them back, no dap at the free throw line, and you want to do away with halftime?
Speaker 5: And can I add one else because I'm yeah, I've been on this flopping thing for years. It got better for a while, it's regressed because they've eliminated the punishment they used to when they made a hard stand on it. They find players five thousand dollars and they put them on a list, right, and for whatever reason, they've gone away from that.
Speaker 8: I do believe there should.
Speaker 5: Be, after evaluation, a scarlet level letter F, a fix to offending players jerseys for a certain amount of time if it's a game, five games, but I think there should be a reminder out there to the officials. Yep, this guy's going to try to trick you and you're not going to fall.
Speaker 1: For Okay, how about this. We get a little letter F and then we sew it on your jersey, the scarlet F, and then we see how many f's you have on your jersey that season, like.
Speaker 8: The Buckeye's helmets, you know, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Michigan Wolverines. Yes, okay, you know what I like.
Speaker 5: How you're thinking, Dan, you should be on the competition committee.
Speaker 1: Well, I did say to the commissioner, basketball's positionless. So you can't have Rudy gobert on, you know, one of the first, second or third teams all NBA, just because he's a center. Get rid of that. And he did. I said, we need to have a minimum that you have to play to qualify for any kind of awards. He did that. And the other one was I said, you got to get rid of the carrying. It's getting embarrassing. And you know, the kids in grade school, in high school or emulating what they see with the pros. Jason Tatum can't dribble a basketball without carrying the ball. Jeff, why are we allowing this?
Speaker 5: Well, every year there's these emphasis and they always start with traveling and carrying and their call for maybe you know, a couple of weeks and then people like you're messing with my game, you know, like you know, it starts to impact, they go away.
Speaker 8: But like if you watch a hesitation dribble.
Speaker 5: You know, guys going and then they hesitate and they lift up a little bit. You have to carry the ball like there's it. You know, as you lift up, your hand is going to go under the ball. So the fans, what they call themselves is purest. If they really wanted to see travels called, you could basically call it travel on every possession.
Speaker 8: Is that what we want? Same with carrying.
Speaker 5: I think it sounds good in theory, but actually implementing it, it would take away and has taken away. And yet the defense is already at such a huge disadvantage. I know that we keep making it harder and harder on the defense. You know, very little contacts allowed. And if you let people travel and carry the ball, you know, then they are quote on guard them.
Speaker 1: Well, you go back to Allen Iverson. Did I create the carry?
Speaker 8: No? He but he was a he was a great proponent of it. Like he was good.
Speaker 1: He's the forefather of the carry.
Speaker 8: That's a good question.
Speaker 5: Like I would say, who was the first guy with this, like the spin dribble where they would just like basically cup it and.
Speaker 8: Bring it over. Then let's give Earl some credit.
Speaker 5: You know he's for that, and he started a great high school in New York City where underserved children are being taken care of.
Speaker 8: So I want to give Earl credit for both things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think you went credit for bringing the carry into the game.
Speaker 5: Well again, it's such a fine line, and I think this is where you don't want it to be called by the letter of the law, like travels.
Speaker 8: Right, So you mentioned Reggie Miller.
Speaker 5: If he was coming off a pin down to his left, he would catch it on his right pivot foot looking shot. But then if he didn't have shot and he came to a stop, he would go to his left that he would just switch his pivot foot because he felt more comfortable on his left. A lot of people do that. That's like, league wide, do we want that called? I think as a league we have to decide do we want that called or don't we because you when you say we want travels inforced, I really don't think we know the total impact it would have on the flow and rhythm of the game.
Speaker 1: Okay, are there more travels in an NBA game or holding calls in an NFL game?
Speaker 8: Oh, there's more holding calls.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, And there's a hold probably on every play right in the.
Speaker 8: NFL, I will suspect.
Speaker 5: I would think, Yeah, it's like the illegal defense or the defense of three, like that's called like below once a game and if you watch it, you know, like you mentioned Rudy Gobert before, you know, he's going to stay in there until they call it. And so yeah, I just think it depends on what we want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are you going to do the rest of the day, Well, we.
Speaker 5: Have to go over and do interviews where Mike asked probing questions.
Speaker 8: Player tries to bring him into tears.
Speaker 1: And uh, that sounded snarky, Jeff, that sounds.
Speaker 5: Trying to make them reflect on on sad thing.
Speaker 8: And so it brings a tear to my eye.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and then you know, we last week we played pickleball, and uh, but we sustained an injury Mike Green playing like popped the calf.
Speaker 5: So we're down a man. So you know, when you get to this age like maybe what's called lunch or early dinner, you know, and then we're gonna like call it on it, you know.
Speaker 1: So I don't get pickleball. I played it once. I don't get it.
Speaker 5: I you know, what I don't really get about pickleball watching it on TV.
Speaker 8: Like I tried to.
Speaker 5: Watch it on TV, and I'm like those little dink shots back over back, like I'm like, uh, all right, you're losing me.
Speaker 8: Now, Like you know, I don't get that. It was sort of fun to play, but not as much action as tennis.
Speaker 1: And I think it's great that people who are not watching on TV on Peacock that Jeff has double beds here, so a bed for him in a bed for his brother and uh or Mike Green. I don't know. I don't know the cost measures there at the Mothership anymore.
Speaker 5: I thought we were going to get through a whole about the Mothership, and I'm so glad we didn't. But you know, I might invite Stand down for a sleepover. I expected a king. I got two like twins, so hey, stand make the trip down.
Speaker 1: When when's the last time you had a sleepover with your brother?
Speaker 8: Oh? Gee?
Speaker 5: I mean when when I was making no money, I went down and had to recruit, like when he was in New York. So I probably didn't pay him for uh some crappy place he had in Yonkers maybe like that would probably be the last time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, play nice tomorrow night with Breen.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, well, you know we're gonna try. Mike is like like he's coming off back to back Emmy Award wins, so he's becoming a little bit less.
Speaker 8: What is that called collaborative?
Speaker 1: He's in the Basketball Hall of Fame, Jeff, I know, are.
Speaker 8: You No, I'm not going to be there.
Speaker 1: You've contributed to the game. You're a contributor to the game. Your seventeenth NBA Finals come on. If Breen can get in.
Speaker 5: Well, I think when you you pose as a serious thing to eliminate halftime.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jeff, you got to take care of that's Jeff Aan Gundy, the mothership any former NBA head coach. He'll be on the call with Mike Brain, Mark Jackson Game three tomorrow night, eight thirty Eastern on ABC. We'll come back last call for phone calls. What we learn, what's in store tomorrow after this. If you've listened to the show before, you've probably heard me talk about simply Safe and why not best home Security System by US News and World Report in twenty twenty three, only twenty two, only twenty one. They know what they're doing. They have the new two and one smoke and COO detector next generation type stuff. All right, nobody's doing this. The new smoke and COO detector sensors joined Simply Safe, comprehensive suite of advanced security systems, cameras, sensors, hazard detections. Simply Save twenty four to seven professional monitoring service. They are ready to respond in a moment's notice, and it's going to average about a dollar under a dollar a day. Simply save, easy to set up for yourself. That's the simple part of it, and the safe is well, it's extremely safe. Twenty four to seven Professional monitoring is there to help you in an emergency right now. Get twenty percent off your new system when you sign up for interactive monitoring simplysafedan dot com. There is no save like simply save. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 8: Hey it's me Rob Parker.
Speaker 12: Check out my weekly MLB podcast, Inside the Parker for twenty two minutes of piping hot baseball talk, featuring the biggest names of newsmakers in the sport.
Speaker 1: Whether you believe in.
Speaker 12: Analytics or the icast, We've got all the bases covered. New episodes drop every Thursday, so do yourself a favor and listen to Inside the Parker with Rob Parker on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 1: Jeff Van Gundy is underrated, Good Sin keeps it lively, not afraid to push some buttons. Nick Wright, our good buddy, will join us on the program tomorrow. Ted and Cincinnati is back. Hi, Ted, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 10: Dan and Dennis?
Speaker 13: Hey, if you can have Marvin Q the X Files theme? You got a conspiracy? Okay, I do short notice so you.
Speaker 14: Are familiar with the seven hundred ww yes, uh Opek said yesterday they're gonna stop making like ae hundred million barrels a day.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the oil. That's yeah.
Speaker 14: If that's the up the prices so they can pay these guys or what?
Speaker 1: Uh No, I think that they have more than enough money to pay people. I think that the Saudi's upping the price on barrels of oil is not to pay golf players at least I don't think so. I don't think they're that desperate.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: Connor and Portland, Hey, Connor, went's on your mind today? Hey?
Speaker 8: Dan?
Speaker 15: A longtime listener, first time caller five eighth on the Live Golf versus the PGA. Hey, I just don't get how two corporations that so vehemently hate each other could somehow merge and straight a cohesive brand. Don't get that. I wanted to follow up Van Gundy, love him, Marcus Smart would just have a jersey full of FS, So I just didn't need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you think about that? That if you flop and like the the referee singles you out for a flop, and then you get an F on your jersey and then it's your scarlet letter and you'll have f's on your jerseys? Anybody? Anybody? Okay with that? Okay, all right, all right? Kind of be grudgingly that you think that maybe that's kind of brilliant offensive goaltending. I'm fine, once it hits the iron, let's go after it, knock it away whatever it is. I'm good with that too. And I all ease up on the carrying. People are like, you know, stop. You know they get off my launch. I get it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, actually I get it. The problem da, I'm gonna jump in here. Don't ease up on the carrying, you know, when there's something wrong in the game. By not saying anything about things that are wrong in the game, that's how goes on for years and years and gets to the point we are now. If someone had talked about carrying a decade ago and they would insert a rule, the entire culture from eighth grade to pros would have stopped carrying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've been I carry about the carry. That's all because I remember when guys played and they didn't carry, and they were unbelievable. And these players now, if you can't get by your guy that you're allowed to travel to an extra step and carry the basketball, it would be it's embarrassing if you can't because they're giving you. I can't put my body on you, I can't put my four I can't give you a foe arm boy. I can't put my hand on your hip. None of those things. You should be able to get by your guy. You shouldn't be able to create a shot. Jake and Utah Hi Jake.
Speaker 11: Hey, Dan how's it going good, sir? A long time six one, one five. I was just calm to day to kind of talk about you know, a lot of people in the media talk about how these finals are so boring and it's not great for ratings. But when did fans care about ratings? When was that something that people started to worry about that ESPN wasn't going to make a billion dollars this year.
Speaker 1: I think it's more of people in the media. Do you talk about it and how much do you speak about it? So it's a media story. It's not about the fans. I don't think the fans go, uh, nobody's watching, But then I'm not either. I think this is its media driven because the media is trying to play the hits. So if you watch Fox or you watch ESPN, how much are they how much coverage are they giving the NBA Finals And they're probably giving equal time to the NFL today as they are the NBA Finals. I'm guessing, well, now you have the Live Tour, PGA tour controversy or merger. But yeah, it comes down it's a media driven story about you know, what the ratings are. I'm watching. I don't care okay, not Oh nobody's watching. Well, I'm not going to watch. That's not the way it works. Yes, Paul, it is.
Speaker 2: It wags the dog. But then I think fans out there, they don't get enough coverage. They don't know about it because the media doesn't think it's gonna be a great sporting event.
Speaker 1: I mentioned on this date sports history. Oh, the rally Monkey debuted in two thousand on this day. Yes, that was Angels, Giants and the unofficial team mascot that day. Anything else there polling.
Speaker 2: Baseball booted Marge shot on this day in next to ninety six. Eighteen ninety the US Polo Association of Foreign in New York City. In nineteen forty six, the Basketball Association of America the BAB. The BAA was born in New York City, became the NBA, and shockingly, in nineteen eight nine, Wayne Gretzi was ninth Heart Trophy, which was a very big deal.
Speaker 1: I think what we all learned is that PJA Tour and Livetour are merging. Discovered credit cards do something pretty awesome. At the end of your first year, they automatically double the cash back you've earned. That's right, doubled trips, restaurants all doubled. See terms. Check it out for yourself. Discover dot com slash match. Thanks for the phone calls and the emails, and the tweets and the all around support. Do it again tomorrow. Thanks for joining us. Talk to you then,