Speaker 1: Pushkin. Hello, Khalila, Hi, Jonathan, let me try Stevie Hello, Hello, Hi are you guys? Abr?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What does AVR mean?
Speaker 2: Alex Bloomberg rules always be recording?
Speaker 1: That's right. How are you guys?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: My update I guess is that since we last did this is my roommate has left to go be with her family. So now I'm in the apartment by myself. It's like a weird moment where everything that brought people to New York is like sort of gone or on hold, and like you're left with only the terrible part, the worst part of living in New York, which is like paying a lot to be in a very small room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Stevie, Yeah, I'll ask you the question that is on the minds of all American minds of the world. Yeah, these troubling times. How was your blind date?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, my blind date?
Speaker 1: It was fun.
Speaker 5: It was fun.
Speaker 1: What did you guys do?
Speaker 5: We we we just we actually just like hung out and talked for like three hours. And the thing that was so nice about it, honestly, yeah, because it was like in the context of like a first date and like completely getting to know a person and they're all the questions. It was like three hours where we like essentially didn't talk about the virus. Like I think sometimes it's nice to acknowledge that things aren't and word and to like hold that in your mind. But there was also something really nice about like this semblance of like normalcy, you.
Speaker 1: Know, of which there's you know, so we're getting in, we're getting all these emails, and there's been this one guy, I don't know if you noticed, who's been setting us like a poem a day, This guy named Kieran Lennon, and he had this line at the end of one of his poems that I really liked, which was that kind of speaks to what you're talking about in a way where he says that, you know, today was more normal than yesterday, not because it is, but just because it was as strange as yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've you know, been spending a lot of time with Aggie and which is great. And so I took his tricycle out of the garage, and you know, we had the whole alley to ourselves. So I thought maybe I could teach him how to use a tricycle. He's more into making the sounds like motorcycle sounds. He was trying to teach me how to to do proper motorcycle sounds, which is something that I've never been very good at.
Speaker 6: He's like talking, WHI shound, your mouth opening like this.
Speaker 1: Is that good?
Speaker 7: You're close to do it?
Speaker 1: Like the way that he understands all of like everything that's going on is we've been talking about it in terms of germs, because he understands that, you know, like about how you have to wash your hands before you eat because the germs, right and you know, but occasionally the last well, you know, why can't he see his grandparents And we say, you know, we have to be careful about the germs right now, and he says, you know, well, we'll see them when the germs go away. And there's something just so simple, and I'm confused about it, as as always with a kid, you're always like trying to meet them on their level, and in this case, it just forces a kind of optimism, like there isn't a version of the world where things don't work out.
Speaker 3: Everything makes me emotional lately, like it's like my emotions are coming out and all kinds of weird ways.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yesterday, I like I put there's this piece of classical music that you guys would know because it's very famous. It's this like prelude to this back cello suite that I just think is like so beautiful. It's like two and a half minutes, and it was sort of like stuck in my head on my run, so I like put it on to listen to it, and it just like made me cry, like just like ball.
Speaker 1: So as as you guys know, so after our last check in episode where we asked for people to write in and just let us know how they're doing, we got so many just really nice, generous emails from all over the world. And so you guys started calling a few people who you felt especially curious about are connected to, and I called a couple of old friends, and among them doctor Jackie Cohen.
Speaker 2: Jackie an old standby.
Speaker 1: She's not just like an intro to a show, you know what I mean. She's a real person. She actually she called me, oh, which was which was kind of nice. Yeah, I mean I had left her a message, but she returned it, which you know, and she was even kind of nice to me.
Speaker 8: Hi, Junny, Hi, how's it going.
Speaker 1: She's been working at a coronavirus clinic in Montreal, and so we talked a little bit about that.
Speaker 8: I take these short histories and then I swaped this road and then I swap their noses and that's it, and then I tell them we'll call them in two days.
Speaker 1: So there's testing in Montreal.
Speaker 8: There's lots of testing, really started up already a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 9: But what does it feel like, Yeah, it feel it feels like it feels like it feels like I'm well, lately, we've just ramped up the numbers of swabs that we're doing, and so it feels like I'm on an assembly line working at McDonald's. I mean, it's just like outcome of these trays and you just grab the tray and then you go to the next person, and so you just have to sort of move it along. They're really trying to pick up the speed and you have to gown up and down between each patients.
Speaker 8: So the gowning, the gowning process is what takes long. The rest is super easy.
Speaker 1: And do people come to you sometimes nervous, worried, anxious?
Speaker 8: Oh my god, they're always really anxious. Yeah, either anxious and be when I call them up to tell them the results are negative, because I've been calling everybody back to tell the results of good negative. It's just if they've just like won the lottery. They are so happy, like they're they're like this palpable release through the phone.
Speaker 1: Does it feel good to make those phone calls?
Speaker 8: Well, part of me, I mean, part of me feels like, you know, happy to tell them the good news. On the other hand, I'm thinking, I mean, it shouldn't be the worst news to get that you have coronavirus, because you know, eventually a lot of us are going to get it, and it's just feeling like it's so stigmatized at this point. So I'm hoping people are to be psychologically be ready for a positive.
Speaker 1: And she even thinks that, like she'll probably end up getting it eventually.
Speaker 8: Well, at some point, at some point, I.
Speaker 1: Probably will because of the work you're doing.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, I mean we're we're healthcare workers, we're frontline.
Speaker 9: I mean, at some.
Speaker 1: Point, and then she had to go make dinner.
Speaker 8: I've got to get dinner on I've got to get dinner on the table.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've got a life. Before she could blow me off the phone, I really wanted to tell her that I was just really impressed with her. You know, we joke around a lot, but I really do think that Jackie is one of the most selfless people I know. But you know, of course I said none of that to her. Instead, I just kind of said something, you know, typically sarcastic, you know, over the top, just to kind of grosser out. I would like to be the first to thank you on behalf of Canada.
Speaker 10: Stop talking about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're just embarrassed.
Speaker 8: You're just now, are you?
Speaker 11: So?
Speaker 3: I also talked to someone I have a long standing relationship with. I talked to my brother.
Speaker 2: Hello, Kristens, it's Kaylee Holt speaking.
Speaker 4: Hey, what's that? Oh pretty good? It's driving home in the rain.
Speaker 3: You know he's still working. He is in Iowa. He works at a car dealer. Should he sells cars? Are you guys still open?
Speaker 4: We are still open, which I feel I feel two ways about. They sent out a memo the other day being like, you know, your safety is our number one concern. I want to work. It's it's gonna be tough to make ends meet if if I'm not working. But don't don't tell me your my safety is your number one concern, because if it was your number one concern, you'd close us down, right, because all non essential stuff is supposed to be closed down, but our service center auto repair shops are considered essential. So we're using that loophole to stay open, and we'll probably stay open until the governor herself comes down and personally closes us down. And people. The crazy thing is people are still out shopping for cars.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, I can't imagine anyone as buying a car right now.
Speaker 4: Lots of people are lots of people. Are most of the people I talk to are still find to shake hands?
Speaker 2: And are you shaking hands those people?
Speaker 11: I am?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're like, yeah, media is just blowing this way out of a portion, and you know, I'm in sales. I can't tell him. They're fucking more on it. You're dangering themselves and everyone around them.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The past week is like, Okay, today's the day where we're just not going to see anybody, and people just keep showing up.
Speaker 3: So I just got really kind of scared for him, thinking from shaking all those people's hands.
Speaker 1: Does he have any pure l Yeah, he says he.
Speaker 3: Has hand sanitizer at his desk and I'm like, are you doing it? Every time he shakes someone's hand, and he's like, yeah, I'm trying to.
Speaker 1: So Stevie, who did you talk to? Yeah?
Speaker 5: So I talked with a woman named Lexi.
Speaker 12: Just to give you a quick head up, I'm just having some like pretty heavy contractions that I really wanted to talk to you. So if I stopped talking, or if my voice sounds weird, or if like I have to mute you for a second, it's because I'm screaming.
Speaker 1: Wait wait, Lexy.
Speaker 5: Lexi, she is like forty weeks pregnant right now. Her due date is March twenty seventh, which is four days from now. That's very yeah, very very pregnant. Like about ten minutes into the call.
Speaker 13: I work for this music management company. Sorry, I'm letting a contraction.
Speaker 1: Wow. Did did you feel like you were gonna have to like guide her through the delivery of her of her child over the phone?
Speaker 5: I honestly like listening back to the tape is like painful. I was like, you got this, Lexy, Like we can do this.
Speaker 1: What do you need?
Speaker 13: Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Are okay?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 5: You got this?
Speaker 6: So it's fine.
Speaker 12: I'm gonna hang on one second, are you are.
Speaker 1: You sure.
Speaker 5: The terror in my voice, I'm sure was doing a lot more harm than good.
Speaker 6: But yeah.
Speaker 5: So the interesting thing about Lexi is she had never really like thought she wanted to be a mom. Yeah, but it is with this partner, and it was important to him and to them and their relationship, and so it was sort of like a decision she made knowing that, but maybe not a decision she would have made otherwise. It's this weird moment where like, already she has so much fear around it and complicated feelings, and then like on top of it, she's like about to give birth in the middle of a pandemic, and it's scary, you know, like she's scared. But on the other hand, there's sort of been an evolution in how she's feeling about it.
Speaker 13: It's a real weird thing for me to say, because you know, a month ago, I would have been terrified because I don't know anything about babies and and I don't I'm afraid to be alone with this baby. But now it's almost like, here's an external thing that isn't the state of the world that you have to focus all of your time and energy on. It's almost comforting and maybe this is a good thing.
Speaker 5: Then I spoke with someone who's already a parent, a woman named Rachel, and Rachel and her husband Drew are having a really different experience of this period of social distancing than I think a lot of us are. So Rachel is the mother of three out in Colorado and her youngest son, Johnny. He's three and a half years old.
Speaker 6: Johnny is like a major daddy's boy right now, and since Drew is working from home, he's very excited about that.
Speaker 5: So Johnny has this very rare condition called ACTA two, and it means that he is incredibly immuno suppressed, like he's just always getting sick, and they have to be really really careful. So like for Rachel, social distancing isn't new. Like the first thing you see when you get to their front door is this sign that says, like, please do not enter if you've been sick, or like around someone who is sick. You know, like Johnny can't go to preschool because it's just like too much exposure to germs, and they often like can't don't end up going to like parties they get invited to because it's like just too risky, like that's just like the reality of how they live. And so like right now with COVID, like Rachel says, people have been reaching out and are being really supportive, but it's like for Rachel, it's almost like frustrating in a way.
Speaker 6: You know, people are like, hey, can I go to the store for you? I know it's probably hard right now, but I'm like going to the store is always hard for me, like all the time, because I'm always weighing, like can I go right now? Okay, if I go at like seven thirty in the morning, then it's probably going to be quieter and I won't have people, like there won't be as many people, and the carts will be clean and available, and I can have time to clean the card even more, and people won't like look at me funny and be like super judgmental that I'm crazy.
Speaker 5: And that's the thing that Rachel is sort of like hoping that like after people have gone through what you know, like what we're going through right now, that there will just be like a greater empathy and understanding of not.
Speaker 6: Just our family, but like so many special needs families because whenever everybody else turns back to normal, life, Like we'll still be doing this.
Speaker 3: The last Callie made, I phone to this woman, Emma, who works at a zoo in Arizona, and the zoo is obviously now shut down to the public, as most things are, but she's continuing to work and like take care of the animals.
Speaker 11: The animals have been just behaving differently.
Speaker 1: I can tell.
Speaker 2: They're like, what is this?
Speaker 9: Why? So what's going on?
Speaker 3: You know, Like for the for people right now, it's a time of like increased anxiety, but for the animals, like it seems like kind of like they're more relaxed.
Speaker 2: And she's seeing the animals like play a lot more.
Speaker 1: Oh, because there's nobody there.
Speaker 11: Like, for example, we have a group of painted dogs.
Speaker 2: There are three of them. What is a painted dog?
Speaker 11: A painted dog is a African carnivore. They're also called African wild dogs. And so they've just been like romping around.
Speaker 2: In the during the day and playing.
Speaker 11: Normally, they they would kind of hang back and like because they can be a little bit nervous around people.
Speaker 2: Man, I got to look up painted dogs after this.
Speaker 3: I feel like, yeah, often like as an adult that you like learn about a new animal. So I'm very excited painted dogs. Have you guys heard of them?
Speaker 1: No, I haven't.
Speaker 2: I'm going to send you guys a picture.
Speaker 1: Oh, they really look like they're painted. They look like they're like painted by like an abstract expressionist.
Speaker 5: It's like a hyena and a panda bear had a baby.
Speaker 1: It's like a dog that's wearing like one of those Mickey Mouse hats.
Speaker 5: Yes, I was Mickey Mouse ears. I was just about to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, this thing also came up while we were talking, Like she was talking about sort of what it's like to be a zoo keeper and you have to do things to like manage the animal's anxiety, and you know, they're in an enclosed space and sometimes they need like certain like activities set up for them are like different. She had like more zookeeper terms for it, but like toys introduced to their environment to like keep them healthy and stimulated. And it's kind of like now during the pandemic, like that's the situation that we're all in as humans.
Speaker 11: We're kind of in captivity right now. We really don't have a lot of choice and control, and so if you kind of get lost in that, it can be really scary.
Speaker 3: It's like we're the zoo animals kind of where we're in some code space and we have to figure out the things that are going to make it manageable for us.
Speaker 1: We've been getting a lot of really lovely, thoughtful emails from you guys, so please continue to send them to us. We really enjoy reading them. Also, you may be thinking lately about reaching out to someone who you haven't spoken to in a while. And if that's the case, and you'd like some interlocuting or just you know, someone to talk talk about it with, and you know, maybe help you make that call, Please let us know. You can email us, or you can record a voice memo and send it to Heavyweight at Gimbletmedia dot com.
Speaker 5: Hello, Hi, Paul hid Uh, you know hanging in there.
Speaker 10: I know, it's it's it's I don't know, it's been hard to like to do anything actually, even with all this time. I don't know, Like a lot of people are on Facebook and they're all like being all productive and I'm seeing like what they're working on and stuff, and I'm like, man, I just feel like the exact opposite of that. Yeah, I just hadn't a whole lot. But I'm like all my work got canceled, so I don't I don't know what's gonna happen after this. Yeah, it's pretty bad.
Speaker 11: I think.
Speaker 10: I think that's sort of I'm like kind of not practicing.
Speaker 5: Sorry to make you practice when you're when you're not.
Speaker 10: It's good, it's it's it's it's really, it's great. Actually it feels good. Okay, so are you ready to should? I I'm ready, Okay, let me. I'm just gonna speak a phone role. I'm just gonna hate record and then I'll just play it through. Okay, and here we.
Speaker 7: Go, stop star stuff to boot. If if I can give, give give it. If not Bell, give them, and.
Speaker 1: If one give me the
Speaker 7: Bali became