Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: And welcome to the program. It's our one on this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan Ets Dan Patrick Show morale is hi. Fritzie's in the back row with a big smile on his face. Dylan is there with his poker face. Marvin front row. I don't know what kind of face you have, A friendly face. I'd say that's a friendly face right there, and then PAULI, that's a professorial face that he has. Backroom guys, is well yours truly? Come on in, stay awhile, a lot of football to talk about. Your phone calls eight seven to seven three. DP Show operator Tyler is sitting by. He'll take your phone calls. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock, Thank you for downloading the app. By the way, something really special. So we have the calendar that we're putting together, the DP Show Calendar for twenty twenty seven. It's your book photos. You can be part of it. Your best, worst, or most awkward yearbook picture and if you send it to DP Calendar twenty twenty seven at Danpatrick dot com a chance to be featured in the DP Calendar at the end of the year. So DP calendar twenty twenty seven at Danpatrick dot com and send us your good, you're bad, you're ugly and join us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, real quick before we move on, did any of you guys have a great yearbook photo?
Speaker 4: My senior year felt good about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, although I had a red blazer on it. I don't know why. My mom took me shopping and it's a side it's the angle is very dramatic. I don't know why I allow this to happen, but it's okay. Hair look good, got this red blazer on, and of all my pictures, that's probably the best that I had yes time.
Speaker 5: Because the schools they hire these people, they think they Fellini or something like that. They don't wish they were in.
Speaker 6: Some kind of movie or something, and they're like, this is the best they can do is taking like middle school or high school pictures.
Speaker 5: They get a little carried away with it over the shoulder look or whatever.
Speaker 2: Did fully need take high school pictures?
Speaker 5: I don't know. Hopefully did I think he just went right to the big time as far as.
Speaker 2: I know, like Richard Avedon or somebody like that.
Speaker 6: Maybe, Yeah, they take me a little too seriously that the people were taking the pictures of that.
Speaker 5: You know, it's just a high school yearbook. Relax.
Speaker 2: How about you, Marvin, how was your high school yearbook?
Speaker 5: You know what, I don't mind it.
Speaker 7: I had a had a tan shirt, a tan tie, and I had football pants on that you cannot see. My mom got me out of football practice that Marvel. You got to take this photo because it was the last day, So Marvin, you have to.
Speaker 8: So it looked good.
Speaker 7: The hair looked good, you know, had had the waves, had the waves spinning when I had hair.
Speaker 2: What about you, Dylan?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 9: My, my I peaked probably with like my fifth grade yearbook photo, but my senior year one they used the I didn't like fill out anything, so I think they just use one. And it's the one where I have like my fist under my chin like the thinker. It's uh, it's pretty brutal.
Speaker 2: That would be Rodan, very good, yes, Rodan. Uh, Fritzy has a picture like that with your your chin resting.
Speaker 6: On your your real like a really concentrating But my picts are all puffy hair, weird things with suspenders of a lore shirts, jams shirts.
Speaker 5: Back in the day, and that was a big deal. I felt like carpeting on your shirt. I don't know what I was doing.
Speaker 2: Well, you can be part of the DP show calendar. You send us your photo. DP Calendar twenty twenty seven at Danpatrick dot com. All right, pull question, play of the day, stat of the day, all of that forthcoming. Ya had a lot of trades. The difference between buyers and sellers just a couple of games. I still go back to the Brewers. Look, I know small market. Nobody in the AL and NL Central want to spend money, although the Cubs do. But you have this team that they have the third best odds right now to win the World Series. Go out and at least put in an effort for Terrek Skubel because it helps you in two ways. It keeps him from the Dodgers, and with him and Misowski, you can win with those two guys as your starters. Certainly in a five game series, but a seven game series. So I at what point do you say, Okay, we're all in. I go back with the Brewers when they traded for CC Sabathia. They used him down the stretch. It didn't work out in the playoffs, but at least they made an effort there. Yes, I know you give up prospects, but at what point do you say this is as good as we kind of expect to be or want to be, And you're not going to be able to go out there and keep that picture from that You have to go through the Dodgers anyway, So why not go get a guy the Dodgers really might need now with Otani not being able to pitch, So that one surprised me a little bit. The Braves same thing. You got a lot of talent. Now, maybe they think this is good enough, but I don't think it is. Certainly in the National League. In the American League, this is where I'd be going. If I'm the Rays. Certainly the Yankees, I'd go all in. The American league's wide open. You can get to the World Series. I mean, there's not a lot of hurdles in your way in the American League. Now, the Yankees they have the second best odds. You know, the Red Sox are now back in the picture. Who would have thought. But if I'm the Rays, maybe I can't keep trek scuoble. But what is the goal here? Is the goal to make the playoffs? And kind of be threatening. Is that to get to the World Series? Like what is the goal here? And that's what's lost on me with the trade deadline. Go in and roll the dice, and I know we'll look back and say, oh my gosh, you know three years ago they gave up that prospect. I get it, but I would at least want my team to go, let's go. I don't want you to be crazy. I don't want you to be drunken sailors. I want you to be smart about it. Get the right guy for your team. And Trek Scuoble is the best pitcher in baseball, at least on the short list, and the Brewers Missserowski tired down the stretch last year. Now you have to give him him almost an innings limit pitch count. But you got to be ready to go in the postseason. And if you got the third best odds and you're not loading up and not keeping Trek Scuble from the Dodgers, to me, it's a missed opportunity. The Falcons have signed b Jeon Robinson to a new deal. He and Jamier Gibbs were holding out or holding in. This is the updated running back pay and this just happened about fifteen minutes ago. Bjeon Robinson is twenty two point twenty five million. With incentives, it'll be twenty five million, So that's number one. Number two on the list is Saquon Barkley at twenty point six Christian McCaffrey nineteen million, Devon eighth Chan sixteen million. So Jamir Gibbs probably is looking at something in the twenty three million dollar range. With incentives. For Bijon Robinson it could be up to twenty five million. And you start to look at the value of these two running backs. I'm not saying they've separated themselves because sik One Barkley is still wonderful, but Bijon signs three years seventy five million, and if you start to look at what his contributions are, he might be the best running back in football. If I look at what he did last year, he had fourteen hundred and seventy eight rushing yards, he averaged five point one yards per carry, He had seventy nine catches, He had twenty three hundred yards from scrimmage and eleven touchdowns. Gibbs twelve hundred yards rushing, averaged five yards per Carrie had seventy seven catches for six hundred yards eighteen hundred and thirty nine yards from scrimmage with eighteen touchdowns. Extremely valuable and both of them are and really the center point of their offenses and the running back position starting to get paid again CMC. When he got paid, then Saquon came in. Now you got Bijon and then you're going to have Jamiir Gibbs get paid as well.
Speaker 8: All right, poll.
Speaker 2: Question for the first hour of the program, Dylan, what are you thinking about?
Speaker 9: Well, we can start off with one from PAULI. Spending a lot on your running back is smart or not smart?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 2: When the Falcons drafted Bijon Robinson, what did they take him eighth? The Lions they took Jamir Gibbs, what was he twelve? Okay? Your goal is to get your running back another contract. I would think if you're going to take somebody up that high, isn't your goal to be like I want you to be great and we want to bring you back. Now. I'm not big on running backs after five years. I just think the wear and tear touches, not just running the ball, pass receiving. But you get guys, if they know how to protect themselves, that's the key. I get you out in space. I don't want to run you off the middle. You're gonna be able to break off some of these for long touchdowns, so you're a home run hitter like Jeremiah Love is already getting paid a lot of money for the Arizona Cardinals. But what we're asking those running backs to do is basically everything. Be a wide receiver, be a running back, be a decoy, be able to block. And if I'm now, I was in on Saquon Barkley and the Giants taking him number two overall because I thought he would be the missing piece and help out Eli Manning at the end of his career. I was wrong. Saquan was a great player, or had the potential to be great. We just didn't see it until he went to Philadelphia. Jamiir Gibbs, b John Robinson. They're worth that money. And it probably probably started with Christian McCaffrey because we thought he was done before he went to San Francisco. It was like, I don't know how much longer he's going to be able to play and how much they used him. Well, he's still been banged up, but he's still been great. When it comes to Offensive Player of the Year, he's usually on the short list there and kind of created or recreated the impression of what a running back should be. Now I can go back to Ricky Waters or Marshall Falk, some of my favorite players, Roger Craig Ladanian, Tomlinson that they kind of created this hybrid right in front of us, and you know, putting even more pressure on defenses. Now you have to account for that guy. Yeah, and then if you had to have a great running back, I don't know if defense is Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if you look at Bijon Robinson Dan in his three years in the NFL, as you said he's had, I think he's got two hundred and sixty one to one hundred ninety eight catches in the NFL so far that make him the third leading receiver from his draft class at the running back position. He was first team All Pro last year twenty two and ninety eight yards, and same thing with Jamir Gibbs three years close to two thousand all purpose yards per year.
Speaker 9: Well, I feel like like the McCaffrey's and the Bejons of the world, can they command more money because of their pass catching out of the backfield.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're a full service running back that you never has to leave the field. A guy like remember a bunch of years ago, Leonard Fournette was taken high. He can't catch one hundred balls. He can't catch eighty balls. Very good running back, but probably not the all purpose running back of today.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's Rob Parker and Calvin Washington from The Odd Couple on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 10: And in addition to hearing us live week nights from seven to ten pm Eastern on Fox Sports Radio, we are excited to announce brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 2: That's right, you can now watch The Odd Couple live on YouTube every day.
Speaker 10: Oh you gotta do search Odd Couple FSR on YouTube again YouTube, Just search Odd Couple FSR. Check us out on YouTube and subscribe.
Speaker 2: He's Albert Breer, very very busy man. Thanks for joining us. Let me start with the headline, Aaron Donald, the possibility of him coming back, the general sense that you got when you were with the Rams was what.
Speaker 11: I think he's coming back, and I think he will play the full season. I would say it's unlikely that happens before they leave.
Speaker 4: Royal and Marramount where they're having their training camp.
Speaker 11: I believe they leave there on Friday, and I think after that everything's in play when they get back to their home facility. And so they've discussed this. You know, Sean McVay and Aaron Donald are very very close, and they already have the framework of a plan laid out for what this is going to look like and how they're going to handle it. And I think one thing that helps, in a weird roundabout way, is the fact that he held out in twenty and seventeen. In twenty eighteen, those are Sean mcvay's first two years in LA and in both of those years they had to be creative and ramping them up and getting getting them ready to play the season. And in both those years, Aaron Donald was the defensive player of the year and the second of those years they went to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: So they have an.
Speaker 11: Idea of how to do this, and you know, I think the other thing that really helps is the depth they have at that position, like they don't need to play him sixty plays a game. They can use him creatively and they like the you know, the Kobe Turners, the Braydon Fisks, the Punafords, the Tyler Davis's. This is a situation where they can really use them in a way that's gonna, I think, put them in position to be at his best when it matters most.
Speaker 2: You remember the last time a team was high this much pre season, and the team that wasn't the defending Super Bowl champ.
Speaker 11: The Rams in two thousand and twenty one, maybe when they traded for Stafford.
Speaker 4: It's sort of similar to that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, I like I remember being on the ground floor for the Dream Team Eagles coming out of the lockout and what that was like and all the high because if you remember, like that year, free agency happened at the start of training camp and so when they signed Non the awesome Wah to a team that had, like Michael Vick was coming off of a fantastic year and obviously that went the wrong way, but like there was a ton of hype around that team. You see this, I mean, I don't. I don't think this is like an outsized amount of hype you know, but it isn't every year that you see a team in a position like this.
Speaker 2: We had v Jon Robinson, he signed his contract. Jamiir Gibbs now in the Ondex, what's your philosophy of, you know, re signing a first round pick at that position.
Speaker 11: I actually think, Dan, it's gotten to the point where running back has been devalued like so much that it's becoming a value to sign one. And I remember this two years ago, right the offseason in twenty twenty four. And if you remember that that year, Saquon Barkley, Derrick Henry and Josh Jacobs were all free agents and the Eagles, the Ravens, and the Packers signed those three guys. And I remember thinking to myself that in the moment when that was happening, like, those aren't stupid teams, you know what I mean? Like, those aren't teams that are going and doing dumb things in March and winning the offseason. And you know, the more you talk to people in those organizations, you realize, like the way smart teams are starting to look at it is, here's a guy I'm going to give the ball to fifteen twenty twenty five times a game. That's way more than the receivers getting the ball. He's contribute to both the run game in the past game in a really significant way. And if I have like a bad year at the end of the contract, like is, if that's the cost, that's almost nothing. Saquon Barkley that offseason got like the equivalent of what Darnell Mooney got. In no way to think about that like that was the comparable contract third receivers are getting.
Speaker 4: We're getting sixteen million dollars.
Speaker 11: A year, and that's you know, like more than those guys got that offseason. So I mean it's starting to correct itself a little bit, but I mean I'm in Chiefs camp right now. That's part of the reason why they go and sign Kenneth Walker is relative peanuts when you compare to compared to what guys are making at other positions. So, you know, I think it went from like it's not smart to sign a running back with a lot of mileage, you know, in year four, year five to a contract at the top of the market, to now it's at the top of the market, is a fraction of what it is in other positions.
Speaker 4: So what are we even talking about.
Speaker 2: He's Albert Breer, the Monday Morning Quarterback senior NFL reporter. He's at the Chiefs today, speaking of which, with Mahomes coming back from surgery, you bring in Kenneth Walker, the Chiefs offensive philosophy changing because of maybe Mahomes not running as much as he normally would.
Speaker 4: Yeah, new coordinator too, you know.
Speaker 11: So, I mean Andy's obviously still running the offense, but you do go from Matt Naggie back to Eric the enemy. I do think there's gonna be more of a commitment to the run game. I think there's gonna be a little bit of a shift playing under center a little bit more with Kenneth Walker here, And you know, I think that that's going to serve a couple of purposes. Number One, you know, I think it's going to help Mahomes as he comes back from the knee, because there's always an adjustment, and he's looked great.
Speaker 4: He hasn't missed anything. He's been out here every day, you know.
Speaker 11: But I think it's also going to unlock some things in the passing game for them. And so I do think that the Chiefs offense is going to look a little bit different, And you know, I think you know, a guy like Walker can unlock a lot of different things for them, and he was such an important part of what the Seahawks did, so so yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 11: They are going to have a little bit of a different look on offense versus what they've had the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Is this the year justin Herbert back's like maybe a top five quarterback.
Speaker 11: There are so many things in place there, Dan, I mean, I think, you know, you look at it now, and I'm not sure he got enough credit for last year.
Speaker 3: By the way, like.
Speaker 11: They won eleven games despite losing Joe Alt and Rashaun Slater. Not only that, they were at one point down to like their fifth and six tackles, like and that's the foundation of their identity. That's what their investment was was in that offensive line. And so I think to be able to win eleven games, now you've got all back, Now you've got Slater back.
Speaker 4: They expect their.
Speaker 11: Young receivers Lad McConkie, Trey Harris to come along. Omarion Hampton, the rookie running back from last year, is back for his second year and healthy again. It just feels like if they can stay healthy, there's a lot of things set up for Justin Herbert to have a really big year, and I think a huge part of the equation is Mike McDaniel and what he's going to be able to do. Mike McDaniels never had a quarterback like this, you know, and we've seen creatively what he's been able to do over the years. He was obviously, you know, you know, part of those San Francisco teams that built around Jimmy Garoppolo and they got the most out of Tua and went to the playoffs with Tua, you.
Speaker 4: Know, in Miami.
Speaker 11: You know, now you're giving him a guy who you know, forces you to defend every play the grass in the field and has the mind to manipulate everything in between.
Speaker 4: I know Mike is super excited to work with Justin Herbert.
Speaker 2: I don't want to jump on a hype train, but I do love what the Cowboys have on offense, and it comes down to just how good they are on defense. And I thought, if they come close to the offensive numbers, yeah, I just need a top fifteen defense. It feels like for this team to be an actual, true contender. What did you feel or take away when you visited the Cowboys.
Speaker 11: They view themselves as almost the reverse Texans, if that makes sense, you know what I mean, Like, if the Texas could just be pretty good on offense, then they'll be unbelievable of the team because of their defenses is off the charts, and they really think they have a chance to have the best offensive football And they have to answer the left tackle question.
Speaker 4: But those two receivers are too legitimate number one.
Speaker 11: Guys, you know, like they they feel good about the makeup of their team. A young running back they have Jaden Blue out of Texas going in the second year is going to be a factor. And they look at themselves defensively as we can't have a lot of injuries. But for Shaan Gary, Donovan Zeraku, Kenny Clark, Quinn Williams, they're the way that they see it and that the youngs that the young safety they bring in, Caleb Down's playing next to a veteran and Jalen Thompson's coming over from Arizona.
Speaker 4: If they can just stay healthy with a.
Speaker 11: New defensive coordinator coming in there and Christian Parker's bringing Vic Fangio's scheme, They've got a chance to be representative on the defensive side of the ball, like a good, solid pro defense, and that, like you said, given the offense they had, maybe all they need. The other thing that's interesting about them the makeup of the team's really good coming out of the Micaeh Parsons trade from last year. Like a lot of good guys there, and I don't think it's a mistake. Kenny Clark, former team captain, Quin Williams's former team captain, jale On Thompson former team captain, And I.
Speaker 4: Talked to Dak about this. He's not afraid.
Speaker 11: To put into words their aspirations to go and win a Super Bowl this year. So it'll be interesting to see how the defense comes along. But I think it should be good on that side of the ball. You're right, they've got a chance.
Speaker 2: Give me the surprise team, good or bad in your opinion.
Speaker 11: I think we covered these things so thoroughly now that by the time we get to August, we're like out of surprise teams.
Speaker 4: So I don't know who that would be.
Speaker 11: I mean, I look at the NFC South, honestly, Dan, and I look at New Orleans and the way New Orleans came on last year, and like I think Kellen Moore is a really good offensive design guy, offensive play caller. They've got a good defensive coordinator in Brandon Staley. If Tyler Schuck can be who he was for the last six games of last year over the course of a full year. Well, they got two first round picks that tackle. They've got two first round picks at receiver. They have Tamara and Etci ended running back. They're bringing in, you know, a new tight end in Oscar delt to go with Jawan Johnson. I just there are a lot of pieces in place there, and they looked really good at the end of last year. So the danger has always taken like the December of the year before and projecting it. But I think, but I think New Orleans there was a surprise team because I think you could take twenty two teams, twenty three teams, twenty four teams off the table as we've all talked.
Speaker 4: About all of them.
Speaker 11: Maybe one of the team is like out of the group that's left that might surprise that people will be New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Safe travels. Thanks for spending some time with us. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 11: Thanks Dan, I have somebody to take a picture of my ridiculous setup. Here you are perched on top of a twelve attack of coke and a twelve attack of die coke.
Speaker 2: But we made it work. Thank you, Albert, Thanks Dan, Albert Breer Monday morning Quarterback. Yeah, there's movement behind him. There's guys getting soft drinks out of the cooler right now to it. But he's been a busy man at the Chiefs today, at the Broncos yesterday. Then he's got Texans, Lions, Bengals, Cold Spears, Packers, Vikings, Browns and the Bills. A couple of phone calls in here. Trip in Vegas is back, Hi, Trip, what do you have for me?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 12: DP, good morning. I was good to speak to y'all last week when you were talking about trade value of the day and Net's so basically, I think you guys are set to win now till you retire, meaning that paula quarterback over to you, or Marvin's a small handed but a sure handed, skilled position player that's deserving. Dylan's on a rookie contract, so you can't do anything with him, And then with Todd, he just reminds me of Roger Dorn in the movie Major League when they go Hey, we didn't know you didn't have any high We thought you didn't have any high price talent. We don't. He's just high priced. Don't have a good day.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Trip got a shot for me, Trip, Yeah, he does take as usually very accurate. I got no comeback, Zach and Knoxville's back. Hi, Zach, what do you have for me?
Speaker 4: Adip?
Speaker 13: Thanks for taking my call to play off the running back conversation? Would you rather have a Saquon Barkley or a Bijon Robinson or would you rather funnel that money towards like, say, like a T Higgins and a solid number two wide receiver.
Speaker 2: Oh, feels like you can get receivers, but then it feels like you can running backs as well. But there's only a couple that are that high end, like Saquon, Bijon, Jamior Gibbs. If you want to still throw in Christian McCaffrey. McCaffrey's not a home run hitter like he used to be. The other guys are home run hitters, and there's very That's why I was like Jeremiah Love, Yeah, I thought he was going to be the best player in the draft. I thought he was a home run hitter. He could you know, kick return out of the backfield, catch passes and like Arizona may get it right one of these days. They do have. You do have some talent, like if Marvin Harrison continues to progress, Trey McBride like you have, you have some pieces there. You could just use a quarterback there. That's what's kind of holding him back. Charlie and Dayton. Hi, Charlie, what do you have for me?
Speaker 14: Good morning?
Speaker 10: Dan.
Speaker 14: You were talking about the potential further to be a cap for in the MLB, and somebody's talking about, you know, the problems that may or may not solve. And if the main problem is me trying to figure out if the Cincinnati Reds are a farm team or a legitimate team, I think that is a big problem, and I would I would guess that the cap four would maybe solve that or at least make me think that the Reds are trying to be relevant or you know, a small market team. Would the four solve?
Speaker 15: Would it be similar to like how the NFL like is it? Would it put it to the point where, like a major League Baseball team at least gives you the illusion that you are relevant.
Speaker 2: Well, I think just making the playoffs is probably good enough for quite a few owners that you're going to make your money. You're gonna have people come out and revenue share, and we don't. We're not going to be in for the big guys. Maybe we get lucky like Arizona did a couple of years ago where they take out the Dodgers. But you got to spend money. It's gonna be really challenging. Maybe Tampa does it. Maybe Tampa surprises people. The American League is open for business. I know the Yankees are there. See I thought the Yankees would have been involved in the Trek Schouble sweepstakes as well. And maybe it's not that desirable or the Dodgers are so desirable that they're taking people out of you know, the process here of you know, offering up some kind of trade. But imagine, if you're the Yankees, you can go back to the World Series, you get Trek Scouble, you can go back to the World Series. Because who's in your way now? The Red Sox are playing great? Is there gonna be something out of the Central The West is terrible. They're horrible, I mean terrible. And so if I'm the Yankee Now they may say we're gonna go to the World Series anyway, But I got Tampa to worry about Seattle. You're the Yankees, and if you had Trek Scuble, you're going to the World Series. In my opinion, Yeah, Pauli.
Speaker 3: The Al West is terrible, Dan, as you said, the best team has is fifty eight and fifty six the Astros. They've been outscored by twenty nine runs this year. Every team in the division has been outscored this season.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Mike Sando senior NFL writer for The Athletic. He's a Hall of Fame voter, and his twenty twenty six Quarterback Tears column drops today. Todd thought it was tea rs like tears. I said, I said, no, it's levels.
Speaker 5: I have tears about bow Nick's not big and level.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know, Paulie was telling Fritzie Bownicks is like a Tier three quarterback, and Fritzie's going apoplectic on everybody here. So Mike's been doing this his thirteenth annual survey thanking all the quarterbacks into five tiers from best to worst, and also did this with a help of votes from fifty NFL coaches and executives. Thirty five veteran quarterbacks are ranked sorted into five tiers from best to worst. We will welcome back Mike. Mike, thanks for joining us. Give me the criteria for tier one.
Speaker 16: I'm glad that you're asking about criteria. We need a criteria for the Hall of Fame. I think criteria is the key to all of these lists.
Speaker 8: Do you have one?
Speaker 16: And for top tier it's really you know, do you carry the team each week? Do you handle those pure pass situations, meaning we got to throw the ball. They know we got to throw the ball. They're more nervous on defense than we are on offense. And you kind of know that if you're a fan of a team, when you have to throw it, everything gets stripped away and you don't really have a major hole in your game.
Speaker 8: That's Tier one.
Speaker 2: Okay. So Patrick Mahomes is the number one quarterback even coming off an injury. And I always look at these lists and go, okay, there's a regular season quarterback and then there's a postseason quarterback. Josh Allen regular season quarterback's been unbelievable, Lamar Jackson, regular season quarterback. When we get into the postseason, then it's different. And I don't know if these rankings would be different if I said give me the postseason quarterback as opposed to the regular season quarterback.
Speaker 16: I really agree with that, And even Josh Allen was in Tier one, But I felt like when we get to these playoff games, there's a sloppiness around Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen. The balls on the ground, sometimes there's wasted opportunities. You don't feel like they fully understand how precious each possession is. Right whereas with somebody like Mahomes, they're on top of all of that and they tend to not make those kind of sloppy mistakes, and it just feels like a more of a well oiled machine, and that really does serve you well when the margins are mollest in those playoff games.
Speaker 2: You only have three quarterbacks in Tier one. For Joe Burrow, oh you got oh yeah, you have stafford Inell. Okay, Joe Burrow feels like he's gotten a little bit of a Hall pass injuries. He did go to the Super Bowl, but this is one of those win healthy kind of rankings.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I would say the last two years his numbers are almost identical to Lamar Jackson's and he's played five fewer games. I do think that there is a premium put on the peer passing, the ability to throw the ball from the pocket.
Speaker 8: That's the most.
Speaker 16: Consistent sustainer of success, not only in a course of a season, but a course of a career. You don't see a lot of dual threaders at age thirty seven dual threading anybody, right, So I think that really helps Joe Burrow. And look, he was spectacular a couple of years ago. People understand his defense was absolutely horrible. I think, you know, when I go on and have a conversation in Seattle, why isn't Sam Arnold higher?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 16: Number one defense and special teams in the league. People know how they win the game, right, Sam can do it sometimes, he doesn't do it all the time, and so I think those Tier one guys like Burrow, you feel like he can do it all the time. It's not like he's missed full seasons in the last couple of years. So I think that's why he gets a little bit of a break.
Speaker 2: But you got Baker Mayfield and Sam Donald slotted together, it feels like Baker Mayfield does more to help his team win than Sam Darnald.
Speaker 8: I think that's defensible. Yeah, I think that's true.
Speaker 16: I think Donald probably, you know, winning the Super Bowl, there's probably some kind of a premium on that. One of the great conversations I had with somebody was like, you know, what, were Eli Manning or Joe Flack, who over the course of their careers those super Bowls where everything And obviously they you know, made some big plays in those Super Bowls too to win. But I think that helps. That helps Donald low too. I feel like people feel like with Baker Mayfield that he is probably slipped a little bit last year, that it fell off around him and he had a much harder time, and so I think that's probably why he kind of slipped a little bit there, and we'll see what happens this year. Doesn't really feel like Tampa's on fire either. That situation feels valatile to me.
Speaker 2: The Jalen Hurts ranking is always fascinating because if I said, hey, you got to pick your quarterback for the postseason. Jalen Hurts is going to be in my top five because I've seen there, there's enough of the sample size there. But why is he seventeenth on this list? In your opinion?
Speaker 16: I think that it is hard to you know, it's hard to parse out credit in football, harder than the other ones when you have great teams around him or not. And I think he's really done it when he's had the best offensive line in the league. They've had a great running game that he's a big part of, and increasingly, you know, at least lately, they've had a really good defense.
Speaker 8: So like, would the Eagles trade.
Speaker 16: How many put it this way, how many players ranked higher on this list would the Eagles trade Hurts for?
Speaker 8: I think it'd be a lot of them.
Speaker 2: Who would you trade? Okay, so Mahomes, Allen Stafford, Borough, Lamar.
Speaker 16: Yep, Herbert, Oh yeah, every day of the week. Dak probably may for sure, Yes, sure, I think so.
Speaker 2: Jordan Love Yes, Brock perty, Caleb Williams.
Speaker 16: I mean, Caleb, I think people would take for the long runway in the future, you know, Purty, that depends. I mean, some people think he's product of system to a degree too. But we're getting you know, after that, Jaden Daniels Darnold. I think, Laurence, this is what I think about Jalen Hurts. Do you think how excited do you think they are right now to sign him, to give him a raise and a big extension.
Speaker 2: Probably not thrilled.
Speaker 16: And do you think he's They just picked up a twenty twenty eight first round pick in that AJ Brown trade. When they did that, my mind kind of went too. I wonder how much longer Jalen Hurts is their quarterback as opposed? And if Jalen Hurts were available, like, would people be clamoring to get him? I mean, he would make money and get a job, don't get me wrong, but I don't think I'd be the same as if those guys above him were.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's say Baker Mayfield's available and Jalen Hurts same price.
Speaker 16: I mean I would probably take Baker Mayfield, would you No. I feel like Jalen Hurts really needs to run. It needs his legs to be part of this, and I don't trust that the older he gets.
Speaker 8: I guess this is where I'm coming from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it's fair. And you talk about the offensive line. I get all that he has weapons, he got a great running back. I understand all that, but I have seen him on the biggest stage in two Super Bowls be the best guy on the field. Yeah, So I just I keep coming back to that, whether that's fair or not. Oh Nicks did a great job with the Broncos. You got him leading a Tier three Yeah.
Speaker 16: I think he had four Tier two votes last year, seven twenty one this year.
Speaker 8: So that's a big jump.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 11: C J.
Speaker 2: Stroud's the one that's kind of fascinating. You're just lingering there at number twenty.
Speaker 16: He is, and I think that it's a huge year for him. They finally got him some offensive lineman. I think, you know, I think that's he is one of those quarterbacks. I think Herbert's in this category two where you know they've taken some hits and you get a feeling sometimes watching them that it's affecting them even maybe when the rush isn't there, and you can kind of get a syndrome as a.
Speaker 8: Quarterback where it's hard to pull out of that.
Speaker 16: And I think this is a really big year for both of those quarterbacks to kind of feel comfortable again, feel good again, and Shrouds clearly has it in him, but they have not had an offensive line. And it doesn't mean it's all the line's fault, but I think we've seen without one, he has a hard time kind of beating the pressure, beating the defense with his anticipation in the quick, confident throws that we've seen some of the other quarterbacks be able to make.
Speaker 2: I'm federally mandated to ask you about Shador Sanders. You have him as the thirty fifth ranked quarterback.
Speaker 8: Out of thirty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so is this just kind of an incomplete that we're not We're still not sure what we have here.
Speaker 16: It's worse than that because thirty seven of the voters put him in tier four. To be in Tier four, you're either you know, somebody you wouldn't want to go to the whole season with. It could be like a Jacoby Brissette, right, we sort of know what he is and we don't we want to get a different guy. Or tier four can be the guy's barely started any games, you know, let's put him in tier four, so you could give Shaudre some of that. But he got twelve in Tier five. I that's the most of anyone in here.
Speaker 7: JD.
Speaker 8: McCarthy got ten.
Speaker 16: So that's five is like not a starter period, and so people really, you know, question his you know, some of the satistical ability, you know, and then just his his accuracy. People didn't feel like was very good at all last year, so you know it, in my mind, I also wonder like, okay, do people not like him too? You know, just his his attitude, his approach, his pedigree, lack of a better word, just coming up the way he did. I don't think that probably helps him, no.
Speaker 2: And then your dad shows up in training camp and you know, ESPN just spends hours and hours on shoot or Sanders and I understand the name, I understand the clicks, but if you look at production versus clicks, he would be a Tier one quarterback totally.
Speaker 8: He's a Tier one clicker, you know.
Speaker 16: So I think he has some value that way, But people didn't see a whole lot to build on last year.
Speaker 2: Ever, hear from a quarterback after they've dropped on your list.
Speaker 8: Uh, that's interesting. I say.
Speaker 16: The highlight was this a number of years ago, when Philip Rivers was giving a one of those off the field pressers. You know, all the media is standing around him, and I wasn't there, and yeah, I knew him a little bit, but he said, yea, I gotta watch out. I'll be following, you know, watch out, I'll be following in Sando's tears or something. And I thought, hey, that kind of made my day. You know, my kids were impressionable at the age at that time, and so that was probably the best, the best reference that I got that I found out about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know what Aaron Rodgers is going to think about being there in Tier three, Mike.
Speaker 8: I would love to I'd love to hear it from and I kind of agree.
Speaker 16: I mean, one of the quotes I used in there from someone in the league was like, you're not taking him over some of these other guys. I mean, just for his ability to throw and run the offense that said doesn't look the way that.
Speaker 8: It used to look like.
Speaker 2: Here, thanks for providing programming for a lot of shows across America this week. We appreciate that.
Speaker 16: I appreciate you having me on. And congrats too. I know you're in the victory lap here, congrats on everything. It's an honor to be here.
Speaker 2: And don't you're gonna try to embarrass me and maybe nominate me, you know, for somebody contributor to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I mean, if you want to, you can. But if it makes you happy, Yeah, if it makes you happy, then fine.
Speaker 16: Well, you know, the Belichick omission went over so well, I think, you know, I think probably putting you in over him would be a good first start.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: Okay, how did that happen?
Speaker 8: So that story. I've been on the committee for fifteen.
Speaker 16: Years, and there's been a number of times where I like, I get frustrated because you can't make people think the way you think, right, And I'm like, oh, what we found out on this is they changed the voting so that you had three senior candidates, guys are retired twenty five years from playing. You had a coach, and you had a contributor. Contributors like an owner. There's people on that committee that it's like their religion to get the seniors in.
Speaker 8: Okay, and so these people, you had to pick three of those five.
Speaker 16: On the final ballot, they picked they just spanned the seniors, picked all seniors, leaving off Belichick because they feel like if these seniors don't make it, they'll never make it and I just that just really irritated to me. That's like taking the process into your own hands, making it about yourself. You have to step back and evaluate these five. We can worry about the process later you don't like it, then work to change it. But you have to put the best people in, and Belichick is so I.
Speaker 8: Was very embarrassed.
Speaker 2: Belichick stinted North Carolina, hurt his chances at all first ballot or.
Speaker 16: Pro Football Hall of Fame, pro you know. I mean, look, it doesn't help anybody when they go somewhere else and fail. But come on, I mean the body of work as a head coach and before that as an assistant coach. I mean, he's the standard in a lot of ways. And so I don't know when you look at some of the coaches they've put in. I wasn't always on the coach committee in these years. I'm gonna, but I was like, how can you put some of those guys in and not have Belichick skate in?
Speaker 2: I have no idea Mike Tomlin did enough to be a Hall of Fame coach.
Speaker 8: That'll be interesting. Yeah, I think he'll.
Speaker 16: I think he'll be in the room and he'll be the coaching finalist at some point, and then it depends really what the format is, who he has to compete against on the final ballot. Will he be over able to overcome players? I don't think so, and we've seen that. That's one of the reasons they created a lane, a coach's lane. But it feels to me like some of this structure and processes in flux. Maybe they're waiting till after the ceremony to not distract from it, you know, with Larry Fitzgerald and Drew Brees and those guys going in Luke Keigley. But I feel like there's they're going to evolve, maybe the committee or the handles, some different people something after what happened last year, and then that will determine whether at Tomlin has a chance. I would say right now it would be very difficult for him, very difficult.
Speaker 2: Great stuff as always, Mike, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 2: It's Mike Sando, senior NFL writer for The Athletic and his Quarterback Tears. His thirteenth annual survey ranking all the quarterbacks there