Speaker 1: Wind Down with Janet Kramer and I'm Heeart Radio podcast.
Speaker 2: I want to introduce you to On the Job and host Avery Thompson. Avery shares stories of people making changes in their professional and personal lives. Whether it's a successful athlete transitioning into a new career off the field, a fly fishing tour guide trying to introduce a new segment of folks to the joys of the outdoors, or a stadium beer and hot dog hawker who doubles as a CEO of a red hot startup. We'll find out what drives them and what lies ahead. These are heartfelt stories of people finding their lives. Work on the Job is brought to you by Express Employment Professionals. This week, Avery talks to a hot dog hawker who helped pave the way to launching a startup.
Speaker 3: Welcome to on the Job. We're going up to the Windy City to speak with Jonah Fialka, who somehow manages to be both the CEO of a startup and a successful and increasingly famous hawker of food and drinks at Wrigley Field each game day, a few hours before the Chicago Cubs trot onto the baseball diamond, Jonah Fialgo starts getting ready for work because it's on his way there exposed to the elements that Jonah decides what he's going to sell that day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. It's like while I'm walking over, and then once I get into the room and see how many vendors are there that day, and then when I get to the table and see how many other vendors have signed up for the same product in that section. But it generally will happen on my walkover, and I do live in Rigneyville, so it's like a ten minute walkton stadium and then it's off into the stadium to get selling right after the pick.
Speaker 3: Jonah is a food and beverage vendor at Wrigley Field, one of those guys that goes up and down the aisles, or as he describes a job.
Speaker 4: I think the official term is hawker seat vendor is another way to describe it. But generally, I say, I carry beer and hot dogs around the stadium and yell very loudly and make a fool out of myself at Cups games.
Speaker 3: And since I know you're curious to hear what that sounds like, let's just get it out of the way. Actually, hang on, let me find some free baseball sounds to set the stage. Okay, here we go.
Speaker 4: But for hot dogs, it's something along the lines of eat dogs, Eat dogs. For beer, it'll be something like, Hey, beer man, buy but light who's ready beer? Hey, I skolled beer man.
Speaker 3: If you can't already hear the passion and dedication Jonah has for hawking in his voice. You could also take a look at his social media presence because he's become quite popular on numerous platforms for giving people an inside look into the world of professional hot dog banding.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been making videos about my job at Wrigley for just over a year now. I came into last season with the idea of highlighting some of my fellow vendors and kind of providing a day in the life of what a vendor does and a job that I'm so passionate about. It's been really fun to share that on social media, and people have been really receptive of it. It's a unique job and everyone knows what a vendor is, but it's been fun to provide a behind the scenes look and there's just so much history behind it and creating content around my job and around the Cubs and Wriggleyfield has been that it made last season the most fun year vending, and I'm looking forward to what twenty twenty four has in store from a content perspective as well.
Speaker 3: Belong with being a veteran hot dog vendor at Wrigley Field for the past decade, Jonah Fialco has for the last two years added ceo to his list of job titles.
Speaker 4: I'm a big pajama worker unless I have important meetings.
Speaker 3: And what's the business that the sweatpant's wearing CEO is running. It's called bracketology and it's I'll just let Jonah explain it.
Speaker 4: We provide fantasy foot all style games and your college basketball bracket style games, but for reality television shows. So we do four different game types that we offer across ten different reality television shows.
Speaker 3: Now, Jonah credits his vending career with helping him develop into the businessman he's become.
Speaker 4: For sure, it has. I think there are so many transferable skills that I've learned vending at Wrigley over the past decade that have translated to running my own company. I have no fear of rejection, no fear of making a fool out of myself than asking people for things. There have been so many things that have been helpful from a professional standpoint that I've gotten from my job at Wrigley that I use on a day to day basis as a CEO.
Speaker 3: Bracketology CEO says he has no intention of quitting his hot dog vending gig anytime soon.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I really think that as long long as I'm living in Chicago and physically able, I will do this as long as I can.
Speaker 3: From the job I'm Avery Thompson.
Speaker 1: Looking for a job is lonely, endless searching phone calls that go nowhere, applications that vanish into thin air. What if you could link with dozens of local companies who are hiring right now with just one connection. That's Express Employment Professionals. Find us at expresspros dot com. One connection, endless opportunities and no fees ever for job seekers. Express Employment Professionals expresspros dot com.