Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies these episodes are based on. These are our stories done done? Hello, Yay, that's messed up? An SVU podcast. I am Lisa and I am Kara, and you guys know what we do here.
Speaker 1: Every week we recap a classic episode of Law and Order SVU. We take a deep dive into the true crime it's based on, and then we interview someone who was on the episode, or in the case of last week, we interviewed a very talented writer for the show.
Speaker 2: But today we have a really hot guest and I'm excited.
Speaker 1: But hot in all kinds of ways hot and personality, hot physically, it's a very hot guest.
Speaker 2: What's going on, Lisa? What's new with you?
Speaker 1: I mean, I see you every day because now Rosie demands it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I really love when Rosie runs into my arms and her curls bounce as she says I'm her best friend. It really pumps up my mood for sure.
Speaker 1: She told my husband that Lisa was her best friend, and I asked her. I said, guess who's coming this weekend because my mom is coming to town. She has not seen my mom in person since she was a non talking baby. And she was like Lisa. I was like, no, that wouldn't be a guess what. She comes over like every other day. So she's going to be very disappointed to meet her grandma if I'm when it's not Lisa.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm sure your grandma will win her over. She's bringing a present, That's what I'm sure. Yes, I mean, Rosie just wants to see my keys.
Speaker 1: Mostly, it's like, and your phone loves your phone, loves your phone.
Speaker 2: Your phone's doing a lot of heavy lifting there. What's happening over here is I did watch five seasons of Top Model, moved right into Laguna Beach, and now I'm watching The Hills. Is it two thousand and two? And my house it is? I Also, I went to the road with our friend Lauren, and she made fun of me later, But I did wear a sea through pink shirt front that I got from my parents' house from my youth, and I busted out my coach fanny pack. And I'm truly just like I'm in denial delusion. I don't know, but I'm living like I'm Paris Hilton in two thousand and ten.
Speaker 1: You're regressing and in a good way, though, is it good? Sounds like it's a good way, sounds like a harmless way.
Speaker 2: I'm just jealous of these Laguna teens, like I didn't live this life of theirs. They're going on dates to sushi in junior year. They're just like, No, I went.
Speaker 1: To sushich bonfires, like just casually on a Tuesday.
Speaker 2: I going to Cabo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, going too, going to Cabo. I went to Kankun for my senior spring break and one of our friend's moms came with us because like a bunch of people's parents won't let us go alone, probably including my own, and she got food poisoning like first day and was just in bed the whole time. So Dan that stopped me from making out at many foam parties and getting hammered all the time.
Speaker 2: It's also weird to watch because it's like they all are underage and they're fully drinking. No one's stopping them. They're all like, we got belligerent last night. I'm like, oh, I love that this had no rules back then. And also it's like really fucked up because now we know Jason had all these drug problems and you see him like kissed chess in front of like LC and you're like, no, he's so damn it. He's like my parents will let me go to Cabbo and it's like, yeah, you clearly have problems, and everyone was just like he's a dick. I'm like, he is going through it. He is fully addicted to drugs in high school.
Speaker 1: I also like that they I like how they were kind of realistically covered drinking with like the kids going to like house parties and just drinking on the beach and stuff. Because like then you watch it like Gossip Girl where they're just fully going to like martini bars, and you're like, you're sixteen, what's happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you're rich enough and famous enough, you can drink in a club at sixteen, I know.
Speaker 1: But they would just be at like hotel bars, like they'd be like the Regency drinking a fucking champagne. I don't like drinking a champagne cocktail and be like gotta go finish my trig homework.
Speaker 2: Like it's just so it was like Gossip Girl always drove me nuts, but well, I thought maybe your parents own the hotel. But have you seen or read Crazy Rich Asians? Saw the movie with you? No? No, I actually saw it with my family, and my sister and I got into a huge screaming fight in the lobby because my dad's phone kept going off and he refused to turn it off, and it's like, who the fuck is calling you? And then I guess I was too mean to him, and my sister and I screamed at each other and my whole family ditched me. And I had taken Uber to meet my friend's baby and went to build a bear and that was that. So I remember Crazy Rich Asians very well, and you were out there but out of the book. But I love in the beginning when like, the London hotel is racist to them and didn't want to give them a room, and then she just called her husband and he bought the hotel and then she was like, yeah, I'm the new owner of the hotel. Bitch, what are you gonna do now?
Speaker 1: It's like, how do you heighten the Julia Roberts moment from Pretty Woman. That's how you do it, That's how you do it. It's like, huge mistake, huge, I own the hotel. Now yeah, and now.
Speaker 2: You're fired, you racist pieces shit? Oh god? And what else am I doing? I'm looking for gold hoops because Emma Chamberlain wears gold hoops. And now I'm buying gold hoops. And that's that. How old is she again? She just set her twentieth birthday twentieth, Yes, but she's okay. Eveton's like spokesperson, and you know, I love Louis Vaton. And she also just sold her house in West Hollywood, staying in a rental while her new house is getting remodeled. So she is twenty. But let's be honest. She's gold for twenty. Yeah, she's gold. And I learned from her. She's I'm like, oh yeah, parchment paper on the thing. Oh now, nutritional yeast on the Brussels sprout's nice, So I do learn from her, Like long, same plane, We're on the same nutritional yeast. I feel like I've had before. It kind of has like a cheesy taste to it. Yeah, it's for vegans. It's yeah, you get nutrition, but it tastes cheesy. So I'm gonna try it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I used it when I was on a pre wedding diet at one point, and I went vegan for a little while.
Speaker 2: Listen going vegan. I can't. I can't do it. I just love cheese too much. I can't. I can't go vegan. My cool rich cousins they do vegan Monday through Friday.
Speaker 1: Oh Lisa, speaking of I just am now. I know this is like an embarrassing thing to admit. I am just getting caught up on season two of Drag Race UK and bim Andi does famously walk into the work room in a vegan and goes, I'm vegan. It's like her jagline when she walks in. I'm loving this cast. They are so good. I just I love it. I think there's so many. I mean, there's barely any queens that I'm like, Okay, get rid of that. Like there's a couple that I'm like, I like you, but I know you're not moving on very far. But I am loving it. If you are a Drag Race fan and you haven't fucked with UK yet, get involved.
Speaker 2: I like the first one, but I'm loving the second one. Bing bang bong ding dang dong. I'm sorry, that's you mean. I'm not that far yet. I'm only on episode three. But I did hear the cheek, the nerve of the gall the gumption and whatever. I love taste so much. I love all drag queens, and I love everyone that I've gotten into drag race. It's just like it's a blessing on us. All.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, we record our intros a little bit earlier than our episodes come out. And today is the day that California is reopening.
Speaker 2: How do you feel? I have no thought, I have no feelings. My husband worked out today at a gym without a mask on. Yeah, I'm excited. I mean, I'm going to soul cycle whatever. I don't know. Oh, I just got a text from Governor Newsom. That asshole has a text me back. Put up one hundred and forty million into the probation budget instead of passing real bail reform. Okay, do I sign the petition? Who I mean? My information is so sold all over the internet. I am getting texts and messages from everyone and everything, and they don't know what to do. I'm getting harassed, you know, I don't know what to say. I'm gonna probably wear my mask if a store tells me to, Like, so we could just go to target without masks, like I don't know. My husband said he walked into a coffee bean today wearing a mask, and that this old guy goes, you know, you don't have to wear your mask anymore, and he was like okay, and they were like, yeah, I'm not. The guy goes, I'm not going into any businesses that make me wear a mask, and Jared goes, I'm happy to wear a mask if it makes other people more comfortable, and the guy goes, well, that's where we're different. And then he started talking about how Fauci's bull ofshit, and Jared was like, goodbye, I just hate it because this was like years and years, and this was twenty sixteen. I was on a flight and a woman next to me was like fully masked up everything and it's because she had an organ transplant.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: People are just so stupid. And it's like, well I and it's like, yeah, some people have immune disorders and always have to wear a mask, or someone's going through chemo, Like back the fuck off. These people that claim to love freedom so much really love telling people what to do. And still I'm fuck Texas, fuck everyone, no, except don't get me.
Speaker 1: What about the freedom to yeah, as I say, every time I have a baby, I feel more and more pro choice.
Speaker 2: But oh, I also wanted to say I did some shows in San Diego this weekend and there was a that's messed up listener in the front row. Oh, shout out to the comedy fans. I remember her name is Grace and we chatted and this episode just a reminder, is coming out on the twenty second, and a couple of days later.
Speaker 1: You can catch the one and Only Glitter Cheese in Philadelphia. At the punchline, no helium, punchline, No in the punchline, at the punchline, what's so funny?
Speaker 2: So I'm already looking at the maps. Where's the hotel, where's the club? Where's the soul cycle? And when I pulled up the map, the Dave and Busters was already glowing like I didn't have to look it up. It remembered, It remembered, which is great.
Speaker 1: It's also like, Lisa, did you mean to type Jimmy John's that knows you so well?
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't wait, I'm gonna oh god, I yeah, I love sandwiches.
Speaker 4: Can I note I've never met anyone more who knows who they are than you of like you have your exact things that you love and it's amazing. Like if you could say, like what Fleasa's favorite food, I would know the answer.
Speaker 2: So you said, what's your favorite person? You know? I just think it's great. Maybe I talk too much. Maybe that's the thing. Maybe people should.
Speaker 1: I think you're just loud and proud and loyal to the things that you like.
Speaker 2: Well, we also have to give a shout out. Hannah did show up to our garage sale.
Speaker 4: Yes, I bought four things from one from each person selling.
Speaker 2: I just would like to make clear.
Speaker 1: Which we basically told you you didn't have to pay anything, but you still did.
Speaker 2: So thank you for your Venmo. Thank you for that. But uh, the garage sale was it a bust? I think it was a bust.
Speaker 1: No. I I made I made some money and I got you know what for me was like I also organized everything so much that I think that the garage show was great and I got to spend time with you and my friend Lauren.
Speaker 2: It was a good time. But I definitely anytime someone arrived, I felt like I'm someone at the Hallmark store, you know, like staring at them like will you get something right? No, one's been in here for a day, is like That's how I felt. Where like people would people would be like how much for this?
Speaker 1: And I'd be like, uh, four dollars, like everything I made so low, and then they when they would not buy it, I'd be like, wow, what did you want for that? Like a doll Like I don't understand, Like every my prices were bargain basement and they were again, yeah, man, I sold a basketball and for two dollars and he was like okay, like he was blown away.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: At Lisa sold like you sold some spanks and the woman.
Speaker 1: Was like you were like, that's a good deal and she was like yeah, like you sold them for way too little. I sold new packaged in the box forty fifty dollars spanks for three dollars, Like I.
Speaker 2: Don't I don't understand. It's like I have the prices of the garage sales I went to as a child, like I haven't updated my prices. I'm like a diner in a sleepy beach town, Like I just don't know what's happening in the outside world. I don't know. I also do need to give a shout out to my our favorite new show called Hacks because they sent me a press box and wow, it was so good. I can't wait to wear out my Hack's silk robe. Watch out World.
Speaker 1: Yeah, written and directed by a friends of mine that I love, and I love the show and I cannot speak more highly about Hacks. I toldal these I was like putting off watching the finale for like days because I didn't want it to be over. Yeah, Hbo, Max Baby, everybody watch it. I need a press box next year. If you're not following me, please follow me on Instagram. I need more followers so I can get press boxes. I need to hit ten k by this summer. This is an important deadline.
Speaker 2: Why should we jump into the to the episode we should? We should also say that Oscar is wearing a special shirt today. Yes, if you maybe, I'll post it.
Speaker 1: I'll post it in the stories when this episode comes out. He is wearing a very special Bravo themed thing. And you know what, I'm not even gonna tell you. Go to That's messed Up. You have to follow us on That's Messed Up on Instagram and then you get to see actually you don't even have to follow us Republic, but you know, go follow and see Oscar's Bravo outfit.
Speaker 2: Also a message to all of you from Oscar, Hulu is wrong. We are right.
Speaker 1: We are always double checking what the episode number is. Thank you for those of you that write us and say, actually, you have the episode number wrong.
Speaker 2: We don't. Hulu has them wrong.
Speaker 1: Hulu will put like a double episode, they'll put it in as one as one numbered episode. And that's not the way that, like the fandom works, that's not really the way that IMDb works, like, so that is what we go with. So if you're watching on Hulu, just check the name of the episode so you're not watching the wrong episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, choose who you're going to be loyal to us or Hulu. It can't be both. The hell has whoo ever done for you? Okay, but we love you guys. Thanks for you know, trying to inform us all the time. Also, okay, and listen, I know everyone wants to chat about the releasey Kiss. I haven't seen it yet. I told you I'm deep into Laguna Beach. I'm living my fantasies. And so we'll talk about the Kiss in either two weeks, eight weeks next year. I don't know. You have to just keep listening to see when Lisa is going to drop her opinion about the releasey kiss, I've seen it. I'm happy. Yeah, I'm going how do you feel? And how do you feel?
Speaker 1: You know, it was like I don't care about releasi, but it was like a little bit of like a thrill when you.
Speaker 2: Saw it happen.
Speaker 1: You know, you're like, wow, Yeah, now I'm excited. Now I'm more interested to see what they where they go next season.
Speaker 2: Because to me, it makes me feel like Amanda's worked on her issues, realized she deserves a great partner like Carees. Carrees put in the work, made his dreams happen, and I just can't wait to see what's up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and his last girlfriend seemed like she was just canceling all the time because she was busy being an advocate.
Speaker 2: All right, listen, I.
Speaker 1: Want to say one more thing, which is that we have a special merch discount for our that's messed up.
Speaker 2: Merch guys. You know you want these freaking pink tank tops. They're so cute.
Speaker 1: Summer is coming, Summer is here, and you also want to drink wine outside in the park. You want to make it stay cold. We've got those tumblers discrete, you won't get arrested.
Speaker 2: This is you need all the shit.
Speaker 1: So if you go to the exactly right dot com That's messed up shop, you know it's on the exactly right website and you use code TMU, you can get twenty percent off and that's through this Thursday. So you got today, tomorrow and Thursday to get yourself some that's messed up merch.
Speaker 2: Also, can anyone hit me up on how to make sure your period doesn't make you a fucking lunatic every month? That would be amazing. Is there any root I can chew on? Like? What do I do? Every I just fall into the deepest depression, can't do anything, and then I it's like, I know it's my period, but I cannot do anything about it. So if you have a potion, let me know. All right, I'm just bloated and sad over here and would love something that actually.
Speaker 1: Does kind of tie into this episode, because we do talk about menstrual sex in this episode. So let's go, let's dive right into this week's episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go. I'm so excited. Smut Season ten, episode ten. I love this episode. Good, Yeah, it is a good one. There's a lot of twists and turns, and you know, it's a the Neil Barriers. So I'm sold to be here. The episode opens up on the Horrors of Motherhood Jake, but it's like a woman in overhead pushing a stroller. Her son's, you know, walking a dog that's giant, and he's not going to be able to control the dog, and so the dog starts pulling the boy and she's like, ah, So she the stroller at the top of a rocky hill. We're at a park in New York, and she runs down to go chase after her son and the giant dog, and they zoom in on the baby with haunting music, and so obviously we're like, okay, the baby's about to be kidnapped. This sucks. Being a mom is hard. But and so the baby starts shrieking and the mom was like, oh no, and so she turns around and then the mom sees that someone is approaching the baby, and we see like a woman in the back and there's like a trench coat, and so the mom leaves the other kid and the dog and runs up to go to the baby, and we see that the woman in the trench coat does not want to snatch the baby, hurt the baby. She's moving kind of slow, we don't know what's happening. And then we see she's an only lingerie underneath. We're like, Okay, that's strange, but you look fucking incredible. Do you have the best body I've ever seen in my life? Maybe? And then there's blood running down her thighs and she falls over against a fence, breathing hard. So that sucks. Yeah, I did feel for that mom.
Speaker 1: I was like taking a toddler and a new baby and a big ass dog on a walk in New York.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. My favorite is when Karen I went to Chicago for a friend's bachelorette party, her friend who has how many kids? My friend has four kids, and took Rosie and took all of them to the aquarium. Yeah, she took them all to the shad Aquarium.
Speaker 1: She's like such a super mom that she was kind of like, I just want to see if I can do it, And she had like coupons and she's like, the shed is so expensive. I want to like, but I figured out a way that I can get all these kids in for like nothing, and I want to see if I can do it like and so she fucking did it. But I would I would die. And they don't have a dog. My friend has a dog with like three kids, and the dog's always jumping out the window. It's just I could not add a dog to my life. But I respect dog. I mean a massive dog. I could add a small dog to my life.
Speaker 2: Also shout out to the Shedd aquariumm one of the best places on the planet. And so we're now at the hospital and we find out that the victim is Kelly's son. She was raped and beaten and was found walking in Riverside Park. She was wandering around for hours, according to the damage on her feet. And this is all told to us by a doctor that looks like he should be on Baywatch, just like very blonde surfer baby Vibes. So Kelly's son is played by Kelly, who which must have been nice. You know, Kelly, Kelly, you don't have to learn a new name. A beautiful actress. And so she wakes up and she starts screaming and thrashing about missing a plane. She has to be in Korea on Friday, and Benson and Stabler tell her like, hey, baby, girl, today is Friday. You were attacked, you were raped, Like, what's going on? And she says, I don't remember anything, so she remembers nothing. Benson and Stabler are trying to figure it out, so they're having chats in the hallway. They're like, well, what's worse not remembering your attack or not being able to forget the attack? Great question, Benson, real party starter. Yeah, this should be the new get to know you game? Would you rather well? I don't know what it is. I think if it's better to not remember your attack than to not be able to forget it, But that's just my opinion. She says that she's a travel writer, and she's like, so tough. How did she let this happen. Benson goes, it's not your fault and you were drugged. You were probably drugged, that's why you don't remember. And Kelly just keeps blaming herself. You know, I'm so stupid. I'm so stupid, and Benson, you know the classic, it's not your fault, girl, You're not stupid for being attacked. So Benson is so good at her job. She says, Kelly, stop focusing on what you don't remember, and let's get to what you do remember and so we can like figure out what happened to you. So Kelly remembers packing for her trip to Korea. She remembers running errands. She went to Chinatown around noon, she ran into a guy named Riley Slate coming out of the subway and their friendemies. They both work with the same publisher, and Kelly turned him in for lying about a book saying he was an Indome when he was never in Indonesia. So could the rapist be Riley? I mean, obviously not. We watch the show enough we know that this is not going to be the guy. But we go to see Riley slay and it's Ryan Dunn from Jackass Bam Margera days. I used to have the biggest crush on him. He was my number one of the Bam Margera crew. He is sadly not alive anymore because of a car crash, and it's really sad, but he's amazing. And for those who don't know, he was in the first Jackass movie. He's the one that put the car up his ass and then went to the doctor to get an X ray and was like, I don't know. So that's Ryan Dunne a true hero and I loved seeing him, and so Stabler and him chit chat. Stabler says, t VO. So that's you know very much that place is you?
Speaker 1: If that places you in the very Miranda Hobbs, Yeah, very Miranda Hobbs.
Speaker 2: This is season ten, baby TVO is huge. Ryan On reveals that Kelly's works as a courier to get free round trip tickets to the places she wrote about. So the detectives had to a courier agency that Kelly worked at. So thank you, Ryan Dunn for some evidence. And you know our time stamps happen. And it's Halloween. It's Friday, October thirty. First Halloween on a Friday is fun too, It's so fun. But like, why isn't there any spiderwebs on the set? Why are there no pumpkins? Like there was no evidence that it's a holiday at Like, no one in a costume, no one with a little pin or a sweater. I don't understand, because they're like revealing this that it's I just I'm never going to not pay attention to this time those things anymore. So the boss is more concerned about the package than Kelly. So you're like, what an asshole? But then the package is seven hundred thousand dollars worth of diamonds. What that's so the Chipmunk movie. Remember the Chipmunk movie?
Speaker 1: Now, did you ever watch a Chipmunk movie where the Chipmunks and versus the chip beets and they go around the world in hot air balloons and they've got these they've got to collect these little beanie dolls of themselves.
Speaker 2: But it turns out that the dolls are stuffed with diamonds.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, please, if you're a fan of the Chipmunk movie, right to me and the DMS.
Speaker 2: I love the Chipmunk movie so much. I like the Chipmunks.
Speaker 1: They're gonna put a story up of it. No, the Chipmunk Movie was one of my favorite things ever.
Speaker 2: And this is not the live action. This is a car no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: It's a cartoon with the original character and they just go all around the world. It was like, how I learned about so many places they go to, all these countries, Like, I loved it so much.
Speaker 2: That's so cute. Maybe when you show Rosie I'll come over. Oh yeah, yeah, okay, So that's a twist, right. The diamonds are a twist. Did someone fuck with Kelly to like rob her of these diamonds? Who knew that she had these diamonds? Benson is with Kelly, come on, he should have told me this information. And Kelly really can't believe she doesn't have the diamonds, and she's really scared and she's like, how am I going to replace it? Benson says it's okay, insurance will cover it, but like, let's start over and tell me everything so we can find out what happened to you. So Kelly now remembers going into a car going to the airport. She had a boarding pass, but doesn't remember if she made it past security or not. So we're with Taru. We're with Reuben Morales and he's back at the precinct going through video footage from the airport. So they see her go to the gate and then she goes to the layover lounge and she's in the bar and she's getting cozy with the dude at the bar. They're chit chatting and you can tell he's making some moves and so her purse falls and she bends down to grab it, and in that moment they can see that he's going to go drug her drink, but like a server with a tray walks past and blocks the camera angle, so we can't see drugged.
Speaker 1: There are barely servers at the airport anyway, go on.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it was like a giant tray. Yeah, it was a really big tray. So she finishes her drink and she's not stumbling, so it's not GHB or anything, and it doesn't look like he's forcing the situation. But she leaves with him, gets in a cab after checking a bag, and so what is going on? And she just leaves with him. So they're going to use the trip records from the cab company to see where he took her. And they end up at the residence of a man named Eric Lutz. And it is still Halloween.
Speaker 1: Still no one is respecting the holiday of Halloween and no one is celebrating it.
Speaker 2: A massus is leaving the house of a nice ass brown stone on the Upper West Side and the guy, Eric has an unbuttoned purple dress shirt and his hair is like douche. She but it's like, I don't know how to describe it, but you could tell it's a douche. So they go in and they try to figure out what happened, and he's really kind of playing it. He's playing it cool. He's like, yeah, I mean I met a hot girl. Why would I say no, we had a great time. Nothing's happening. They're having a back and forth until he finally feels threatened enough to say, you know, I can call a lawyer. And Stabler's really funny here and he's like, nah, don't do it. And then they find Kelly's bag in the house and they look through it and they find all of these diamonds, and so they let him know, like, hey, bro, you shouldn't just leave all these diamonds lying around. And so I thought that was cool, But would you have stolen the diamonds? Probably I would have stolen the diamonds. So we're at the precinct and it's Kara's favorite Da Graylick and she's and she's with Stabler and Benson and they're looking at the diamonds and Kim is doing like the bad guy at it of like maybe she's in on the robbery, maybe she left them on purpose. There's no evidence of the rape, and Benson is just like, you're a dumb bitch, shut up, like stop thinking like a lawyer. Elliott gets a phone call that there's no evidence of drugs in her system and it's a clear talk screen and Benson just knows that this guy raped her. She is a professional and she knows something is up. And Kim says, but why doesn't she remember if something happens. So they really have to like figure out what is happening. So they go back to the hospital to show Kelly the footage from the airport to see if that would jog her memory. And as they arrive, the fucking guy, Eric Lutz is they're visiting her. Holy shit. So Benson and Stable are pissed and they say get out of here. Kelly says, wait, who are you? And Eric said that Eric told security that it's her boyfriend. Kelly goes, I don't know you. And then finally like she figures out who this man is. He's like, well, you don't remember me, baby, and it clicks and Kelly's like, holy shit, you raped me. She starts screaming and she throws a vase of flowers at him and they like crash everywhere. So Stable is now in the interrogation room with Eric and Benson is still at the hospital with Kelly. So it's like, I love when they do these orthodox jew gender role splits, you know, the boys go chat and the girls go chat. Feels like Russiashana at North. So she says she would never leave with a strange man, and he says, yeah, I mean, I was surprised too, but I'm not going to turn down to bang a hottie. Ice t comes in with some scoop and says that there's blood that matches Kelly's on the bed sheets. He says it's it was her time of the month. I'm not a deal breaker for him, so he is a little bit of a feminist. Then Melinda does confirm that it was menstruation blood, so that kind of sucks.
Speaker 1: Can I just like interrupt for one second, Like somebody has to be so fucking hot and you have to be so excited to hook up with them to leave an airport and.
Speaker 2: Miss your flight.
Speaker 1: They're through security, their bags are checked, and they're leaving the airport.
Speaker 2: To go have sex.
Speaker 1: You can't find a bathroom or I don't know, like it just seems kind of don't you miss have places to be I'm so confused.
Speaker 2: I don't care. That's why this is evidence in Benson knows right, of course, it is really crazy you would exchange numbers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, him acting like, oh, we just met each other. It's like you're not in the East Village, You're at JFK. Like you're not going to leave and go like it's just not happening. It's not plausible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can meet up after your flights, because I wonder where his flight was too. Yeah, it's like, give me your number, let's bang when we're back in New York. Yeah. I thought you were going to go into a period rampage. And I was like, well I no, no, no, definitely bled on strangers. I have had period times. Yeah, okay. So then Melinda saw a lead in the Clues and she basically like looks at his flight schedules and he was going down to Columbia a bunch, and so she tests Kelly's blood for scopolamine and hit the jackpot, and Finn knows all about it. He calls it the Colombian Devil's breath. It makes people controllable, so you like you're lucid and you're doing stuff, but you're very controllable and you can't say no, and it blocks memory formation. So it's not like she can't recall, but the memory just doesn't exist. It was never made. So we jump back to Benson and Stable in a team of people searching Eric's house trying to find evidence of him purchasing the drug, and they have to find something quickly because he's trying to get on a flight right now, and Benson's like, we cannot let him leave the country. If he leaves the country, he will get away with us. And Stabler's going through the credit card report and sounds like a good time. I am loving his purchases. He's a no boot delicious, give me that blackma, so cad He's going to Tiffany's. Okay, yes, I'm wearing a Tiffany's bracelet right now. Barney's never been, never shopped there, but I would like to. So I like this guy. Just off his credit card report. There's literally no other reason to like him. He looks like such a fucking douche. No, he's the worst person ever, But I mean I was like, yeah, okay, shot baby. So Ruben Morales is going through his computer hard drive and finds a bunch of like rape porn and he has over two hundred thousand picks in videos and then in an encrypted partition on his hard drive there, which is something I say often. This wasn't what they said on the show. I actually just use encrypted partition on a regular basis. I actually didn't know what partition meant until the Beyonce song. Did you You didn't know what the word partition meant? No, I had, like after the song came out, I go, what is that? And then I learned, So Beyonce is great an educator, an educator. Oh god, I want to just be I don't even need to meet her. I just want to look at her what it could be. Second, I just want to like have a whiff of perfume go past me or something.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: So you were saying on the encrypted partition on his hard drive.
Speaker 2: There, Yeah, I just got I got transfixed into thinking about Beyonce and I can't get back to the episode. So he has a video of him raping and five videos total of him attacking other women. So there's four other attacks and the videos are really fucked up, and they're in a bed and the videos happening from above. So I'm assuming like the women didn't know that they were being taped, but the attacks are on camera. He is a serial rapist. Kelly watches the video of her rape and it's really fucked up, and I feel really bad for her. So they're back in the interrogation room and Stabler is showing the photos two of the rape videos to Eric and he's saying that all the women consented and wanted it, and then bust down the door. Defense attorney at time. We have a blonde bombshell. She has like a giant pearl necklace, so we know that she's rich. And it's the attorney's name is Hillary Renier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that is Christine Ebersol, who is kind of just like a I think she's a Broadway legend.
Speaker 2: Also, I feel like as well, and I assume she was in like eight hundred episodes, but this is the only one and only.
Speaker 1: Yes, she's like a Bernadette where it's like, I feel like you've been on many views, but you've only been on one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, but she was in Search Party. Yeah, she's Porscha's mom. Yeah, so that's exciting because I did just watch that and you know, you know the drill, she's like stopped talking to my client. Oh yeah, she's won too tonys. Sorry, I mean she's won two tonys. Yeah yeah, let me Yeah, that's something to interrupt for. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's won two Tonys, So she is. I knew she was like a Broadway baby. Yeah wow.
Speaker 2: So Hillary Ranier and Kim Gray like run into each other in the hallway and they know each other and they have kind of like a back and forth, which I appreciate. So it's gonna be a real blonde bombshell showdown in the courtroom. Kelly is also at the precinct. They always love to do it, like they love to just put victims and suspects, just running them up. And Kelly of course, is like, how are you letting him leave? He raped me? And Benson goes, I know, we need to build a case, girl. So Kim Grayleck says, we need to id the other women off those tapes and have them cooperate to take this fucker down, Like one of them has to have remembered. So we're watching another video of the rape on camera. It's really tough to watch. I'm not loving this. The women are screaming. He's making them say things like I fucking hate it. And then so thank god, Beadwong is there, doctor George Wang, and he has some scoop for us, and he gives his thoughts. He says, this is a classic serial rapist, deeply insecure and rapes women to feel powerful. He depersonalizes them and turns them into passive sex objects and then takes control in the moment and for the future. So then Kim graylic has one of the worst ideas ever uttered on this show. She goes, Okay, clean up the footage and release the faces to the media, and then we'll get IDs for the women. And it's like, are you fucking nuts? That's a yeah, that's truly twisted. You're gonna take stills of a rape of women and just go, hey, these women were rape. Let us know if you know them. Are you lose your job? Bitch, lose your job. I don't know how Benson Din slapper across the face with that idea, honestly, but I see comes in with some good news and Morales found embedded time and date stamps, So this is really helpful. So they're going to run those time and date stamps against his financials to find some patterns before. So then before he attacks victim number two, he spent eight hundred dollars at a Exquisite Express, which is an escort service, and the website is terrible. He's like, such a bad looking website. There's like it's gray with pink cursive and hearts and you can build your own dream girl on the site. So they start putting in the information of the victim into the site, and Stabler says the cup size was a sea of this woman to like plug into this ideal woman maker. And Finn moves so fast, like I've never seen him move that fast, and he's like it's a d I've got a good eye. So and yeah, he knows about titties. So they find Denise on the website and it does look like they're victims. So they cut to Denise in a red dress waiting and a white linen table type restaurant and Stabler comes in to get information. The only thing I'm mad at is that Stabler is like not undercover sugar Daddy style.
Speaker 1: No, it's very reminiscent of sugar and it's like he's not like it's yeah, he's not undercover, but he's it feels similar, like the vibe of this combo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Denise just says, listen, it's your average siko. He's really into the act, you know. No means yes, like he liked the forcing stuff. He paid me, but he had trouble keeping it up. So the obvious conclusion is he needs real rape victims to like get his dick hard, because he doesn't. He needs it to be more real because he's watched too much porn. So it's a real taru heavy episode. Morales is in and out constantly, so Eric they can tell through his phone tracing stuff that he was in Grand Central with victim one. The next victim, he was at the gym a bunch. There's a gymid photo that matches the victim's photo and it's Laurel Andrews. So they head over to Forest Hills Queen's to talk to Laurel. And I just have to.
Speaker 1: Interject here and tell you that I am friends with this girl in real life.
Speaker 2: No way, Yeah, we were.
Speaker 1: We took improv together in New York and we are. She doesn't live in like New York or la anymore, but like we are Facebook friends.
Speaker 2: That's amazing news. She does a great job in this she is great. She has no memory of anything and says it's impossible and just it's like it didn't happen, go fuck yourself. And they're like, we have it on video, and she's like a And then the husband comes in, and you know, the wives always want to hide shit from their husbands, and the kid is there, so the husband asks what's up and Stabler I was about to try to explain it, and Benson goes we are leaving and they both leave and Stabler's like, what the fuck? Why did you do that? And Benson, I'm on Benson's side this whole time, says this woman has no idea she was attacked, Like if we do this to her, we are giving all these memories. Like as of now, she is not a victim. I know if we play her the video, she will be a victim, like why were you so fast and loose? Stabler? So there are just like lying and Stabler's like yeah, but if we don't figure this out, like he will get away with it and rape again. So they have to now try to find victim number four. And according to the phone, it's something like something to do with the Norman Dy hotel. Grayle and Stabler want to ruin Laurel's life, and Benson wants to protect Laurel and then just get a detail on Eric to make sure he doesn't hurt anyone and like follow him. Stabler behind Benson in everyone's back, goes to Laurel's house. Her husband answers the door and he legit is like, your wife's attacked, and I'm going to show you the video, and just shows the husband the video. I'm like livid, Ugh, it's really bad Elliot moves. It's really bad.
Speaker 1: I'm in the top ten list of fucked up Elliott Moves.
Speaker 2: I feel like this is up there. Yeah, because now it's not even like you're even dealing with Laurel. You're like straight up breaking all the rules and just going and showing a video of this man's wife being raped to him, and to show.
Speaker 1: It to him and not her, like I you know, like that just he's like, I'll go through the husband's because husbands control wives. Like that's basically what his mindset is. If I show the husband, he'll help me get to the woman. Yeah, his Catholicism is showing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Laurel's husband starts to cry, which is understandable, and also he's like, why did she lie it to me? And it's not about you get over yourself, okay. So Laura walks in, sees the video on the laptop screen says, oh, no, it's me, and it's just I'm pissed. So then we cut to Benson walking into the precinct and she's so mad you could tell her hair is swinging back and forth as she walks, and she lets Elliott fucking have it. So Benson goes to Queens to talk to Laurel, and Laurel is what really teary eyed, looking into the distance and holding her sweater clothes, and Benson let her know that she was assaulted a few months ago while she was undercover and is being very vulnerable with Laurel and trying to connect to her, and she just says, like admitting it happen helps, Like we can get him behind bar, you'll go to counseling. And Laurel says like, oh, are you over it now? And she says I'll never be over it, but I can live with it now and I can have my life back. It's just sad. It's like this woman didn't know anything, and I don't.
Speaker 1: Know, but as we learn, as we get a little farther, she sort of had hints like it was sort of like almost like a dream in her mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know. Yeah, so it's probably is good to get some closure on that. I don't know. Laurel says she met Eric once at a juice bar at the gym, and the next thing she remembers is waking up at home with sore legs and like bruises. So Benson says Laurel, like, you're going to need to testify girl, and then he'll go to prison, and this is the only way to stop him. And she does agree to that. But of course, as avid SV watchers, we know something will be fucked up. There's no way there's not going to be a fuck up. So Benson and Stabler go to arrest Eric and they read him iss, Miranda writes, and we're now in court and he pleads non guilty, and now he he pleads not gainst. He pleads not guilty for mental disease or insanity as his defense as because of his porn addiction and thousands of hours of rape, porn fucked up his mind and it's judge Mornoch baby canon. So we're back at the precinct and we're discussing porn and Benson is like, you know, so many perps love porn and porn is terrible, and Finn's like, I love porn, and Benson's like, after everything you see, you go and watch women get degraded, and Finn's like, not all women feel the way you do. My girl loves watching porn with me. And then Benson says, like all this stuff can make Jenna Jamison gag and Finn goes, that's hard to do. I love that Finn is ahead of his time. I mean, he really is. I love Finn more and more every time I do a recap and like investigate him. He is so awesome. I I'm just happy. Okay. So Finn also starts talking about female porn producers and Stabler says, no, that's wrong, that's just like women trying to become pimps, and Finn again stealing my heart, goes lighten up, choir boy like so funny. So we're at trial part sixty seven. It's December fifth, and they always say how like all of this move's kind of fast. But from Halloween to December. That's a couple months that seems realistic. Maybe yes, no lawyers dm us. There's a pro on the stand and it's like a doctor who researches how porn like fucks with your body chemicals. And then of course Graylic is going to do her job and discredit this professional and cut her off and just be like, you're an idiot. But the porn pro says, like, it's like alcoholics. Some people can consume alcohol and some people are alcoholics, and that's just what it is. Eric takes the stand and is telling a sob story about how porn took over his life. Kelly, Laurel, and Benson are like sitting in the seats, what is it the audience, They're in the galley or whatever, the galley the galley, okay, so they're like watching it and they look pissed as hell. And Grayleck is about to have probably our most famous moment during the run of her show. She plays one of the videos of the rape of Laurel, and Laurel runs out of the courtroom and Benson follows her out and Eric keeps asking for it to be turned off, and gray Like says, why don't you love it. You love the feeling of a woman fighting and trying to get away from you, don't you. And Eric screams at her and stands up as he screams and he has a boner, and Kim says, because that's not an objection you're raising he got got. Yeah. Now, this next part, I'm gonna say is confusing, unrealistic. I don't understand it. I don't get it at all. But I guess they somehow find out that Judge Mordock has videos on his computer that are just like suggestive, and one is a dolphin humping a man on a dock, so his objectivity goes out the window because he loves lude jokes. And Graylick is like, fuck, we have to like end the trial because if we get a verdict and then this comes out and there could be a mistrial. Like I don't understand this at all.
Speaker 1: It seems really weird because it's not like they found rape porn on his you know computer that would not become sympathetic to this person on trial, Like yeah, it's like a silly dolphin video like where he said he didn't even like somebody sent him and he just opened it up. I mean, in this case, I always, nine times out of ten I don't believe somebody sent me something and I just opened it.
Speaker 2: But in this case with Judge Murdock, I kind of believe. Yeah, he's old as shit. Barry Rothbart used to have a really funny joke about like if you go to the police to be like this dolphin raped me, and it's like, okay, you want to put him on the stand, take the dolphin to jail. What are we gonna do?
Speaker 1: Like we're because dolphins do dolphins are known to rape people. But Barry Rothbart has the definitive joke on dolphin rape.
Speaker 2: If you're interested in his stand up. Yeah, and it's really really fun. We actually taped our Comedy Central half hours together, so yeah, this feels like shoehorned in. I just don't care. So basically, like they go to tell Mordock this and a law clerk that he fired last year is fucking with him and like snuck into his server and found it. It wasn't like I don't I don't love this part, but basically like he has to accuse himself because if the defense gets a hold of this, it's grounds for an appeal and so they have to do this. So then Laurel barges into the precinct matt as Hell, yelling at Benson. Benson turns around and she gets slapped in the face. Yeah, Laurel slaps Benson. Probably one of the few people that's had the opportunity. I should reach out to her and ask her how that was. Yeah, so it was amazing. And Benson goes, it was my duty to turn in those images, and Laurel says, I'm not testifying again. That's not gonna happen. So Benson's in a messy ponytail working late, trying to find evidence on how to nail this bastard because Laurel doesn't want to work again. There's no more trial, like what is going to happen? So, you know, I love when they kind of look at the same evidence over and over and then something clicks. So there's a charge of Tiffany's for eighteen thousand dollars a month before the first attack. What does this mean? What does this mean? What does this mean? And then in the photo from the first victim, they see that she has an engagement ring on, so basically that's his fiance. That's who you this ring for and he his first victim is his fiance. So Benson goes and harasses Eric on the street and messes with his head and gets him all paranoid and riled up with this new evidence of the engagement ring, and he's just eating out of the palm of her hand. So then Benson climbs into an arm unmarked van and he took the bait. Morales is now tracking the phone call he is making. And now we cut to Grayleck and Renier and Eric in an office fighting about Benson and how she's like taunting Eric and how it's not okay, YadA, YadA, YadA. Grayleck says, the sidewalk is public and anyone can go there, and then these like French glass double doors open and in walks his former fiance, Shana Browning. Damn, she is dressed like a homeschooled religious kid. Like. She's wearing a very long jean skirt, and that is confusing to me.
Speaker 1: I guess you don't want to dress too sexy around your ex fiance who sexually assaulted you.
Speaker 2: I just unless unless God's telling you, there's no way you're wearing a floor length denim skirt. It's just not. It's just not what happens. So the way they found her is because Eric called her last night after you know, Benson played a little mind game with him, and he threatened to kill her if she told police what he did to her two years ago. She remembers everything he picked here up from Grand's Central station. He proposed on the way home, which I think is weird you're proposing in a cab okay, but then at his place he raped her over and over again. And then Eric loses it. It calls her an ungrateful bitch, and then Laurel and Kelly walk up behind Shana and it's like this girl pop group formation Powerpuff Girls pose and then he says, you sluts loved it. So he's caught. Kim says, you're getting at least twenty five years in jail, motherfucker, and he yells, you'll always remember me. I'm the best thing you've ever had. You'll never forget me. As like the three women power Water move in the hallway. It's just like a sexy strong walk and then it's Dick Wolf. So I think that was like a really good episode, and I'm scared to know what the crime is gonna be well, it's not great, but we're gonna do it. We're gonna have some fun. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: All right, let's jump into this crime. Now, this crime. When you look up general lists of like what SVU episodes are based on, this one has like a couple of different episodes say they're based on this case. But I think it's the most strongly tied to this episode, So that's what I'm choosing to have it based on.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: So this is the case of Andrew Luster, who is the son of Henry Luster and Elizabeth Luster and the great grandson of Max Factor Senior, who is a cosmetics giant. Like if you haven't heard of Max Factor makeup, it's like, here's nobody. Yeah, yeah, it's a huge, huge makeup company. This guy, Andrew Lester, grew up in Malibu. He was the heir to the Max Factor of Fortune. But because he was kind of like a beach bomb, he partied, He didn't really have ambition. He lived off his trust fund. Because of that, his connection with the family wasn't the strongest. And I'm sure that the words black sheep were used multiple times to describe him.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry if I had a trust fund and didn't have to work. I wouldn't be.
Speaker 1: Working, sure, but you would p if you were from a huge fan like a Hue, if you stood to inherit a huge family fortune.
Speaker 2: You need to at least do quote unquote charity work.
Speaker 1: You need to at least do philanthropy so that they feel okay leaving you with like their billions of dollars.
Speaker 2: You know what, I didn't need even need the billions. Give it to my sibling. I'll take my trust right I am the beach.
Speaker 1: They're not going to let you just like use it on Jaegermeister. You know, like I want to know like that you're doing. They want to know that you're going to be responsible with the money. And I think this family knew this guy was not going to, so he kind of just does his own thing. He lives like in Ventura, which is like an hour or so north of LA and kind of just like a beachy town. And in two thousand, he is arrested after a college student reported that she had been raped at his home. Police searched his home and found videotapes of him assaulting three women aged sixteen to twenty one who he had drugged with GHB, So it's not scapolamine, but I will get into scapalamine later.
Speaker 2: It is GHB. Again, these men like.
Speaker 1: Committing these crimes and feeling like they have to tape it, like it's so debraved like and it's so arrogant, like you're just you.
Speaker 2: Just have to have the tape.
Speaker 1: I don't think he would have gotten caught if he didn't have the tapes, because it was it was a lot of you know, probably statutal limitations and he said, she said lack of evidence, but he just had the evidence right there in his home. So the women testify that they were unaware of that they were being taped. On one tape, Lester says to the camera, that's exactly what I like in my room, a passed.
Speaker 2: Out, beautiful girl. So he's a monster.
Speaker 1: So you were talking about how this goes fast, how it goes fast in SVU, like it went from like Halloween to December. This trial seemed to go a lot longer because this happened in two thousand. When he was arrested in two thousand and three, after having paid a million dollars in bail, he failed to appear in court to defend himself. His lawyer Roger, I thought you would like this, Lisa. His lawyer's name is Roger John Diamond, just like money in the last episode that one of our former episodes. These guys just out here with these ridiculous names. Diamond said Luster might have been kidnapped or seriously injured in an accident, and asked that the trial be postponed. It's like, dog, that's not what happened. His suv is gone, his dog is gone. Like that's a lot to commit to in a kidnapping to like take your dog along with you, like as you're getting kidnapped.
Speaker 2: So that's clearly like not what's happening. Okay.
Speaker 1: So at the time, he was on house arrested waiting to stand trial on eighty seven criminal counts, and he'd including rape, sodomy, and poisoning. And then Diamond tried to claim later as part of Lester's defense, that he was an aspiring pornography producer and that the women were only acting as part of a script and had consented. Of course, all the women were like, what are you talking about. He was later convicted in absentia and sentenced to one hundred and twenty four years in prison. So the trial went on even without him did he had a jumped bail and the trial continued. His legal case obviously earned like huge media attention due to his family's wealth. I remember reading about this a little bit, of.
Speaker 2: Course, you do. I just remember this.
Speaker 1: I remember being like wow, Max Factor, like the makeup, and then this guy because I hate to say it, the guy is kind of like conventionally handsome and like looks like a rich boy or whatever, but obviously a monster. And now the FBI, after he disappeared, issue to warrant for unlawful flight to avoid prosecution. Cut to six months later, in June two thousand and three, Luster is arrested in Portavarta, as was bounty hunter Dwayne Lee Chapman, better known to you and I as Dog of the Bounty Hunter.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yes, this is the crazy twist in this case.
Speaker 1: Dog the Bounty Hunter was after Luster, trying to get him, and he was with him and two other guys as well as two cameramen who were.
Speaker 2: Filming the entire thing.
Speaker 1: And this was I think before Doug the Bounty Hunter had his show and all of his fame, so.
Speaker 2: It was like, this is kind of what led to it.
Speaker 1: Chapman is a bail bondsman who was pursuing Luster with a television crew and was arrested for kidnapping. So when they caught Luster, they arrested all of the men too. They arrested Chapman, his two friends, and the two cameramans.
Speaker 2: They arrested all six of them.
Speaker 1: Dog thought he was doing everything by the book because he was working with a Mexican police officer, so he thought he wasn't like.
Speaker 2: Doing anything wrong.
Speaker 1: His felony kidnapping charge was eventually reduced to a misdemeanor, and his lawyer advised him to flee to Mexico when he was released on bail. And then Chapman said he said he had consulted with a sex crimes forensic expert who believed that Luster's preference for raping unconscious passive victims was a possible sign that he might be a necrofile and that that could lead to murder. So he was like, I was just trying to stop this possible escalation of this rapist to murderer, you know, So.
Speaker 2: That's kind of where his head was. Also, question is it bad that the lawyer told him to go to Mexico. Like that's breaking some law rules, right, I know.
Speaker 1: But also I mean also it's like, client, I don't even know how this is in the article that I found.
Speaker 2: It's like, how did you guys even find that out? The lawyer offered that to you.
Speaker 1: But eventually what happened was he made bail in Mexico, he went home to Honolulu. He was arrested like again in Honolulu because he was not supposed to leave Mexico, but like no one told him that. And then basically the case got dragged out so far that eventually the statute of limitations ran out, and like they just dropped the whole case. So Dog got off, no problem. I don't really think Dog did anything wrong. He's a bounty hunter, like he was looking for a rapist. Luster, on the other hand, is given over to the American authorities. And you know, he's been now already charged, already sentenced to one hundred and twenty four years in prison. So the California Court of Appeal refused an appeal from him, and they cited that he was a fugitive and they're basically their policy is like when you are a fugitive, when you jump bail. You basically say fuck you to our court system, and so you forfeit your right to an appeal, like you were not going to listen to your appeals because you ran the California Supreme Court and the United States Supreme Court also later refused to overturn this ruling, so this went up pretty high. Luster is currently at Valley State Prison in Chowchilla, California, and under California law, since his crimes harmed other people, he is required to serve at least eighty five percent of his sentence before becoming eligible for time off with good behavior, So that would make it one hundred and five years, which is still like a life sentence basically, but like Jurassic Park for assholes, money finds a way, and in two thousand and nine he filed a petition for habeas corpus as a final possibility of having his case reviewed.
Speaker 2: That was granted in twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: And I looked up habeas corpus and I looked up the dumbest definition of it, or like the definition for the dumbest people, because I was like, I just want to understand what it is, like tell it to me, like.
Speaker 2: I'm in kindergarten.
Speaker 1: And basically it is a legal rule that requires a prisoner be presented in court and that the arrestor proved that there is proper cause for detaining the prisoner.
Speaker 2: So put simply, it means that.
Speaker 1: If you are arrested, you have the right to make the government prove to a judge that your arrests and detainment are justice. I guess because he wasn't there for his sentencing, he was denied his habeas corpus Again, can our legal people write in and tell me why this was allowed for him?
Speaker 2: Do you think about legally blonde every time you hear habeas corpus? Yes, but isn't that mens Rehya, that's her earlier habeas corpus is in the classroom?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 2: Okay, the what's her name? Who's dating? Sarah Pauls Holland Holland Taylor? Yeah, in her room is the habeas corpus? Okay? So yeah, I did definitely have a legally blonde thought for sure.
Speaker 1: So basically what happened after this whole habeas corpus thing was that his sentence was vacated, but not the conviction because the judge found that the original trial judge had a failure to state specific reason for imposing consecutive sentences, so he got a new sentencing hearing. Long story short, he went from one hundred and twenty four years to fifty years. He got forty eight years for the rapes and two years for the drug related charge, and his lawyers have indicated that there will be another appeal. So it's like, I just feel like, when you're rich, you could just keep appealing and appealing and appealing and eventually your sentence will go down somehow, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like for sure, But fifty years is still a lot. And even if they cut that in half, twenty five years is a long ass time too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he was I think thirty nine when he went to jail, so if he went for fifty, he'd get out at eighty nine.
Speaker 2: Like it's it's still not like you know he's going to be Yeah, So it's like, keep spending your max factor money. You're going to be in jail till you're fucking old, and you deserve well.
Speaker 1: Speaking of so, two of the victims won civil suits against him.
Speaker 2: He was ordered to pay a total of forty million dollars.
Speaker 1: He subsequently sold most of his property and declared bankruptcy and he's still in jail.
Speaker 2: So that is the Andrew Lester story.
Speaker 1: I do want to take a second and just talk about some research I did into scopolamine because I think it's very interesting. Scopalamine, also known as devil's breath, also known as brundunga, is a tropical alkaloid. Scopalamine was first written about in eighteen eighty one, so that's like it dates back to eighteen eighty one, and then it started to be used as anesthesia and around nineteen hundred.
Speaker 2: It can also be used as like a sedative.
Speaker 1: Or to treat motion sickness or even Parkinson's disease, so it has like legitimate uses. And then the criminal usage of it dates back to the nineteen fifties because it can cause in large quantities, it can cause intoxication that causes submissive and obedient behavior in the victim, so criminals will take will typically use borandoga or scopolamine to take victims on what they call a million dollar ride, where victims just basically empty out their bank accounts with no clue of what's going on. There is not actually a lot of reported cases of it being used for sexual assault, but often it is for robberies and victims. Yeah, they surrender their valuables to criminals with no resistance. Neither the victim or people surrounding them know that a crime is being committed, and so there's basically never any witnesses. And it was it's really most commonly used in Columbia. So I think that's why it tips off Melinda when she hears, oh, this guy goes to Columbia all the time scopolamine, because it's it's just not typically used heavily in the United States. It really hasn't been, and there's a lot a lot of urban legends have been surrounding it. Like I remember hearing this one one time, like, oh, if you go to Columbia, someone will give you their business card and the business card is laced with this stuff and just touching it will make you into this zombie and blah blah blah. You need to like ingest it or through a transdermal patch in a large quantity to have the effect, like what happens in the SBU episode, Like if somebody just blows it in your face, like what they talk about it, it's just not enough. You need to have more of it to have the full zombie effect that they're talking about, because there were.
Speaker 2: All these like urban legends.
Speaker 1: I was seeing them in my research, Like there was a Facebook scam where people were like, look what happened. We came out and we found this one hundred dollars bill in the handlebar, the handle of our car, but we didn't touch it because we'd heard about this thing where people are covering it in scopolamine and basically they follow you to rape you and kill you and rob you and whatever. It was a complete hoax, like not true. So a lot of the a lot of the reports of any of scopolamine use in the US have been greatly exaggerated or they're non existent, like they're parts of hoaxes.
Speaker 2: But it was being used.
Speaker 1: It has been used in Colombia for just basically robbing people because allegedly it doesn't really fully brainwash people the way that they talk about in this episode, like it's a little bit more exaggerated, which it's fine they do that for television. Like realistically, it looks like an overdose of scopolamine just lowers your inhibitions and has like a similar effect to taking benzos or getting really drunk, you know, like you do things that you're like I don't really remember, I you know, like but it's not the full I'm missing a day of my life, like what happened to Kelly Hugh in the episode you know, so I thought it was interesting. I mean, the US did, the US Department of State in twenty twelve did issue a travel advisory and tell people that unofficial estimates puts the number of annual scopolamine incidences in Colombia at fifty thousands. So they were they were really scared that it was very widespread in Colombia at the time. In large doses, it can cause respiratory failure and death. I mean, of course, I think with anything, too much can cause really bad problems. It is most often administered in liquid or powder form in your food or beverage. And like they're just they're just wanting people that, like men are usually getting targeted in nightclubs and bars by like young women giving them scopolamine. And you should seek immediate attention if you've been dosed.
Speaker 2: The hustlers is this to rob them? This is hustlers, It's the hustler's drug.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean Andrew lust was using GHB because I think that they're taking this is basically two stories being combined into one for us VU because really, scoopalamine is not being used in the US very much, and when it is, it's most or when it is being used, even in Columbia, it's not.
Speaker 2: For murder and sexual assault, it's mostly for robbery.
Speaker 1: So that's the that's the scoop on the Max Factor air and scopolamine aka Devil's Breath, Baby, thank you. I loved this episode. It's a tough crime. It's tough crime and tough episode. I mean, those videos are really hard to fucking watch.
Speaker 2: The videos are rough, they're pretty graphic in terms of SVO. But we have an amazing guest. Yes, we've a very inspiring guest. I had a great I had a great time. After we talk to this guest, we talked about it like for the next couple of days us. We were really excited.
Speaker 1: So stick around and we will be right back with our guest interview. Okay, I am so excited for our interview today because she just is a very impressive person. She is the first Asian American female to be crowned Miss Teen USA, the first Asian American to be on the cover of Maxim magazine. You know her from her role in The Scorpion King, Vampire Diaries, Hawaii five Oh Ncies. She's been on so many things. This bitch gets hired. Okay, we are so excited to talk to you know her as Kelly's son, but we spoke to Kelly who first.
Speaker 2: I wanted to say you you've been working for Like, your resume is so impressive. It's just like you've been bold and believe. I mean, looks so young.
Speaker 1: You look so young, not that it matters, but like you look it is the same as you did in your and you're in this episode like thirteen years ago.
Speaker 3: Lighting it's like I got like circle lighting. That's what it is.
Speaker 2: That's the key, good ring light, the dream. I just feel like just working in this business so hard and like to be able to do so many You've also done so many different things. So when you got the call for SVU, was this just another job or was there a little excitement because it's such an iconic show. Do you remember?
Speaker 6: I have to admit I was not a huge fan of the show. I didn't watch. You know, a lot of these kinds of shows. And I have to admit I was really upset when I got it because.
Speaker 3: It shot over election night. So it was election night two thousand.
Speaker 6: And eight November, and I had been working on the Obama campaign for over three years.
Speaker 3: Like as soon as he announced, or before he even announced.
Speaker 6: I was like, I'm in because I had heard from friends of mine in Hawaii that he was going to be announcing. So I had been working on the Obama campaign for so long, and then when I heard that I got this job, I was like, no.
Speaker 3: I have to go to New York.
Speaker 5: I wanted to be with all my friends that had worked on the campaign, and I was really bummed because I didn't I didn't think I would have any friends to be like watching the elections with.
Speaker 3: It was so huge.
Speaker 6: It was such a momentous night for us, but it was really it was just you know, something that I had been working with my friends, you know, for so long, and I just wanted to have this night to be able to you know, be with them. But then I, you know, I found some friends that were in New York and I went to their apartment to watch and I have to admit, New York was the absolute best place to be for election night.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, because you.
Speaker 3: Were there in New York.
Speaker 6: So, like New York is not like La where where you know, La, everybody just kind of sits in their car and nobody really walks anywhere. But in New York election night, as soon as it got announced, people came rolling out into the streets and banging pots and pans, and like I remember, people like actually shoved their sofa into an intersection so that people could like like jump on a sofa in the middle of the street.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was really.
Speaker 6: A different kind of atmosphere that would never have happened in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: So it was a blessing in disguise.
Speaker 3: So it was a blessing in disguise.
Speaker 6: And so it was the night before I had to shoot the opening shot where I'm in the park in my lingerie, all lighted up and supposedly you know, like drugged, right I had. I was supposed to be wondering the park, you know, all night in my lingerie. And the night before shooting that was election night, And so I had been up to like three o'clock in the morning dancing with strangers in Union Square.
Speaker 3: And just like partying. And because I was like, well, I have to look like crap the next morning anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess it's like added to your drugged up look a little bit.
Speaker 3: That you were just weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you wait.
Speaker 1: We don't want to objectify you in any way, but you did look amazing and your lingerie going up to the baby, trying up and drinking all night.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We didn't want to be rude because it is like, you know, there's blood and something just happened to you. But it was hard not to be like, she looks incredible.
Speaker 6: It was a little it was a little bit nerve wrecking to shoot that, only because you know, it was cold.
Speaker 3: It's November in New York.
Speaker 6: And I'm in you know, lingerie and this and and and also the baby. You know, it was like a I think it was like about one or two.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 6: It was like talking stage and it actually pointed to the blood coming down from my crouching on down my leg and it pointed to the blood and looked at his mom went blood, mommy blood. And I was like, oh, oh, yeah, I don't know, I don't know how to talk to two year old about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a little uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bet that sounds like an added level.
Speaker 1: Wait, so, and how was it shooting that scene, because you guys really are in Central Park and people are kind of around and you're just in like a trench coat and underwear, like were you Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did you feel like people were like stopping and gawking?
Speaker 3: And do you know it's New York, so I don't think anybody cares. Yeah, you know, yeah, people in New York are just like, you know, they keep to themselves.
Speaker 6: You know, there are crazier things going on than women walking around in their underwear at the park.
Speaker 3: You know, they don't care.
Speaker 2: But the scene in the hospital and you had a tough scene, like the actual rape scene. You have like really tough scenes in this episode. How do you prep and how is it to shoot like crying and then like being attacked by this guy?
Speaker 6: You know, I think when you're actually going through the motions of being attacked, you don't have to prep a lot.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it really is.
Speaker 6: Kind of innate, right that the struggle is real, Like, you don't even it's not something that you have to like really put that much practice in. If you are trying to get up and somebody is holding you down. That in itself is enough to get you to where you need to be as an actor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was wondering how many takes did you guys? Did you throw the flowers the vase? Was that a one and done then you had to break the vase? Or did you get to like scene.
Speaker 3: In the hospital scene. I think we only had one. I think we only did one.
Speaker 2: Make it count.
Speaker 3: Oh, we rehearsed with paper towel roles, That's what it was. That's what it was. We rehearsed with the paper towel roles. And then yeah, they were like, okay, like this is the scene, this is where you get to throw the vase.
Speaker 6: They probably they must have had more than one just in case it went askew, because I'm not a very good like thrower, like pitcher whatever you call it. See, I don't even know the terminology.
Speaker 3: I'm so bad.
Speaker 6: But but yeah, I do remember like like just tossing paper towels for for the rehearsal.
Speaker 2: Well, you've done a lot of different crime procedural shows, so we were.
Speaker 6: Think I've done them all. I don't think there's one that I haven't done yet.
Speaker 2: Well, we were going we like to play this game. So if you needed a squad to show up and you had an emergency, would you want that NCIS, SVU or CSI team coming your way?
Speaker 3: Oh you need help?
Speaker 2: There are actually I.
Speaker 3: Want one emergency.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but like all these don't all these guys come after the fact, like none of them. Actually, I guess I would want Marishka on my side. She seems like the biggest sadass. Yeah, I'm gonna say Marishka.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's probably a good answer, right, And you did Hawaii? If i've oh and I.
Speaker 3: Got blown up on that.
Speaker 2: That's wow.
Speaker 3: You guys haven't seen it?
Speaker 2: Sorry, well then we just it popped out to us because since you're from Hawaii, Like, was it cool to shoot back in your home and like be back to work there.
Speaker 3: I always love going home to Hawaii to shoot.
Speaker 6: There's just us a different maybe, And maybe it's just me because I'm from Hawaii and like you know, I'm I'm still very connected to Hawaii. I still go home, and I still do a lot of like charity work, and you know, I'm always visiting. Until recently, my mom was living there. She actually just moved to Vegas. She didn't die. She just moved to Vegas, and so I was always, you know, still very connected to Hawaii. And so when I get to work with a crew that is local, that you know, that didn't even exist, like filming didn't really even exist before I left the Islands, that you know, these this whole industry has.
Speaker 3: Come about, you know, since you know, since after.
Speaker 6: I left in eighty six or seven, and so it's just it's such a great feeling. I feel like I'm really taken care of, you know, like more than any other show. Like I just feel like they go above and beyond because I'm a local girl. And yeah, I get so much support from people in Hawaii. It's you know, I've been doing this since I was a teenager now, since I won the pageant back in eighty five, and so I just people in Hawaii. It's like, if you see somebody else that's from Hawaii, you automatically wish them well, you automatically give them all your support. It's like it's like this built in support system. And I think that not a lot of people get to experience that, you know, that have like a whole home state or a whole hometown just rooting for them.
Speaker 1: Well you were mentioning the beauty pageants and then like leaving around eighty seven. That's so your big acting break was Growing Pains.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, I'm like, I like die that you.
Speaker 1: Were in Growing Pains. That was such a huge show, like for me growing up. I feel like that's so crazy. How was that with Like your first big role is like on this massive sitcom that everybody watches.
Speaker 3: Right, and I got to kiss Kirk Cameron.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I got all kinds of death threats after that, like from thet you did. Yes, Like, yes, they hated.
Speaker 6: Me because I got to kiss Kirk Cameron because he was like the biggest thing on television.
Speaker 3: Isn't that so weird? Yeah?
Speaker 2: He was a huge heart throb.
Speaker 1: He's a little different now, I think, but yes, that's so cool. But I love Oh my god, I love the idea of getting death threats from like twelve year old girls, like what are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: What was your talent for the pageant?
Speaker 6: I chose where I didn't have to do a stupid talent.
Speaker 2: I didn't have.
Speaker 6: Any kind of talent that I could do on stage. You know, people could be talented in so many areas, but you know, you can't necessarily perform it on stage, and so you end up with these girls who like make up all of these crazy talents like sign language to music. And I never knew there were so many like xylophone players, Like they're like like somehow everybody becomes like sign language expert and xylophone player. But yeah, I I I chose the one that where I didn't have to do any kind of talent and that gave cash prizes.
Speaker 3: Instead of.
Speaker 2: Very smart.
Speaker 6: But but yeah, so I entered the pageant though, because I was scouted by a modeling scout from Japan who told me that if I had entered a pageant and got just the local title, that they could.
Speaker 3: Use that to promote me as a model in Japan and I could make more money.
Speaker 2: And at that.
Speaker 6: Time in the eighties, it was you know, my mom was was a struggling single mom, you know, holding down three jobs all the time just to you know, make ends meet. And so I was hearing of these girls that were going to Japan during the summer and making like twenty thousand dollars like in the eighties, which was huge, right for anybody.
Speaker 3: And coming back home.
Speaker 6: And you know, like making a deposit on a house and you know, so so.
Speaker 3: I thought, you know, if I.
Speaker 6: Could get in that and help my mom, it would be huge for me. And then also I just loved being in front of the camera anyway, So I mostly entered so that I could, you know, I was under contract already as a model and whatnot to go off that summer. But then you know, I entered the local pageant, I won that, and part of the uh, you know, obligation, I guess, is that you have to run in the national pageant.
Speaker 3: And so I figured I'd just run in the national.
Speaker 6: Pageant and then I'd go off and do my you know, modeling contract over the summer. Not even thinking that I would be in consideration for the national I was like, I'll.
Speaker 3: Get to be on TV if I make the top ten. That was my dream. I was like, I want to be on national TV.
Speaker 6: But yeah, so I ended up, I think a surprise to everyone, I ended up winning the national pageant and then was not able to do my you know, fulfill my modeling contract because I had to represent just the sponsors of the pageant and stuff I was under contract with them. So yeah, it was it was a lot to take in for a sixteen year old, you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine. So did you go back to school or did you just like travel at the Crown.
Speaker 6: I wanted to not go back to school, but they were like, that's not a good look for a Miss ten Usa to drop out of school. So yeah, no, I went back to school. But I was I was just half heartedly there. I mean, I was just like school was just like a.
Speaker 3: Hurdle that I had to get over in order to start the life that I was meant to live. You know, I knew that I was going to be moving to Los Angeles and becoming an actor and and doing all of that, because it was the opportunities were already presenting themselves, and and and I just I was just like, school is just, uh, you know, something that I have to do. And and shortly after, yeah, shortly after, I got growing pains, and then I was able to move to Los Angeles before the episode even aired.
Speaker 2: I was that ready.
Speaker 3: I was like so jonesy to go.
Speaker 6: As soon as I finished filming, I packed up my bags and I moved to Los Angeles before the show even aired.
Speaker 3: I and and I remember.
Speaker 6: That day I found one of those books of agencies, Samuel French. I think all the Samuel frenchips have closed down now, right. So I did like a mass mailing, and I took out a full page ad in Variety announcing that that show was going to be premiering that night, and I said that I.
Speaker 3: Was now available for West Coast representation. Wow. I didn't even have an agent or anything at that point.
Speaker 2: Who told you to do that?
Speaker 6: I had seen a bunch of ads and stuff that people were doing in Variety, and they were taking out mostly like you know, like small little ads, like you know, business card size ads or little you know, eighth of a page or something. But I had all this money that I had won from the pageant, and I thought, go big or go home, right, So I took out this full page ad of like my headshot and then a little corner picture of me in a bikini, like you know, posing with my I don't know what that was about, but I guess I thought it was like I thought that, you know, like people would want to see me in a swimsuit, and so I put that on and I got like twenty calls from agents before the show even aired. Because there were no Asian girls in Los Angeles in Hollywood at the time, they were just like three and that was it, you.
Speaker 2: Know, so you got to pick your agent. That's cool, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I didn't even I didn't even know who to go to.
Speaker 6: But one of the manager of my building was also an actor, and I came back with this list and I'm like, so these are the people who responded, and he's like, you realize that I've been doing this for fifteen years and I can't even get meetings or get any of these people to call me back. And it was like, yeah, oh sorry, Like I know, because I was so young and so new and so gung ho, I didn't know it was supposed to be hard. You know.
Speaker 3: It was just like everything was.
Speaker 6: Just falling in place for me, and it was like, you know, it wasn't until I was older that I really was able to appreciate, like, wow, this is this is no joke, you know, this is this is a tough business.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: I mean and especially like as an Asian American, I mean like you and you were the first they didn't have any so you're like a transpasor of these of Asian American women.
Speaker 6: Which I didn't realize, right, because I you know, even in the pageant, my whole attitude was you know, because I remember leaving.
Speaker 3: Before going to the pageant.
Speaker 6: You know, my mom said, don't now, don't cry when you don't win, because America is not ready for an Asian Miss teen or she said Oriental Miss teen USA.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, that's so old fashioned. Nobody thinks like that anymore.
Speaker 6: You know, this is nineteen eighty five, and it was like, you know, I had no idea that mentality was still out there on the mainland. Because I grew up in Hawaii, where Asians are the majority. I never experienced racism or prejudice or any of that kind of stuff. So my whole attitude was, well, if I'm not going to win, I'm going to stand out, and you know, I'm going to my my my asianness is what makes me different and what makes me unique. And so I came to Hollywood with that same attitude, you know, Like to me, I was like, well, I'm not going to be like all those little, you know, blonde haired, blue eyed girls that are trying to get work.
Speaker 3: I'm going to use this to my advantage. You know. So I think just coming in with a different attitude that was.
Speaker 6: Sort of unapologetic really helped to you know, to my advantage as well. Yeah, and it's just also like not knowing better, you know, not knowing better sometimes really works to your advantage.
Speaker 2: Now you're a badass, I'm very inspired like to have to be like, oh, I'm going to get this pageant, I'm going to go fucking model. I'm going to get an ad out in variety. It's like so much, like so much for so such a young age to do all that and be so like, I just never heard of anyone doing that, it's so cool.
Speaker 6: Well I think it's because, like I said, I just didn't know it was supposed to be hard. I didn't know that people didn't do that, you know. And I was always I was always the kid that was.
Speaker 3: Really picked on. I was like severely severely bullied in school to the point where I was like suicidal and stuff.
Speaker 6: You know, like seventh and eighth grade years were the worst for me. So I was always used to just doing things differently, being different. I never worried, you know, about what anybody else was going to think, because I was just like everybody hates me anyway.
Speaker 3: So it was like, I'll just do my own thing and you know, see where it lands.
Speaker 6: And so I never I think because of that, I never worried about failure, because I never worried about what other people were thinking.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, that's kind of amazing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think I was able to sort of just roll it into things that were more positive without even realized that it was happening at the time. It wasn't until much, many, many years later that I can look back and analyze it and realize, oh, that's why I did it because I just didn't know, you know, or I just had a different attitude.
Speaker 2: When you got that Maxim cover. Was it a big like fuck you to everyone? Like was that cool?
Speaker 3: Do you know?
Speaker 6: It was kind of only because I got the Maxim cover, because I was on Scorpion kick right well, when I landed the cover, they did not want me to be on the cover by myself. They had put two other girls from the movie, a black girl and a blonde girl on the cover.
Speaker 3: With me, or they wanted to put them on the cover with me, and I was like why, Like I'm the only girl really in.
Speaker 6: The movie, Like I didn't even know one of the other girls I think didn't even have a speaking role, but they wanted three of us on the cover as sort of like a you know, like you know, there's an Asian girl and a black girl and a blonde girl. And I refused to share the cover with these other two girls because their roles were so tiny, and I thought, why wouldn't I not hold cover on my own? And they, because Maxim was still sort of new ish, they were afraid that if they put an Asian girl on the cover by herself, that people would think it was an Asian magazine.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: And so they were taking a chance by putting me on the cover alone, and it ended up being there highest selling magazine at that time.
Speaker 2: So, you know, so crazy.
Speaker 6: And it wasn't that I was like, you know, trying to fight for you know, Asian women, or you know, making any kind of point. I was just like, I deserve this. This is not something that I should have to share with anybody else otherwise I don't even want to do it. And I think, you know, at that point in my career, that's when I was trying. I was understanding the power of no and being able.
Speaker 3: To sort of stand up for yourself.
Speaker 6: I think before that I was I always just felt lucky for whatever I was handed. And I think it was at that point in my career that I started understanding that there was a power in saying, no.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about viagra commercial? Are you down?
Speaker 1: We obviously were doing research on you, and I was like, oh, she was the face of Viagara.
Speaker 2: And then we watched your spot and I was like, I could see how this would work. I mean, you'll look very good in the commercial. And it's just such a compliment, right to be like, you are the human version of Viagra. That's basically it.
Speaker 6: Well, one of the reasons why I got the job was because I.
Speaker 3: Was over forty when they cast.
Speaker 6: So all of the women in Viagra commercials have to be over forty because they're marketing to men over forty. So I guess, you know, it would just suck to have them, you know, pick a twenty year old. Yeah, yeah, But what they look for is they look for women who are forty and over but look younger. So because I look younger for my age, and it was just out there all over the Internet that everybody could tell that I was over forty.
Speaker 3: At the time. I mean, That was basically why I got hired.
Speaker 2: I had a voice. You have a very sultry voice. Oh I do, thank you well, not like talking to us, but in the.
Speaker 1: Right commercials yes, yeah, yeah, you're not suggesting us right now.
Speaker 2: When you're trying to it works.
Speaker 6: But doing this commercial, it's they it was so challenging. I only had like six lines of dialogue in the entire commercial, right, but everything has to be so specific. I must have read the first line one hundred and fifty times in order to get the exact tone that they wanted because they they don't want it to sound too sexy. They don't want it to sound too clinical, they don't want it to sound too friendly. They I mean, you know, it's the tone has to be so like razor sharp on point that it's really frustrating as an actor when they're like, you know, trying to get you to the right place because it's just like minuscule, you know, little movements and things like you know, you're laying on the bed, but you're not allowed to have your two feet up.
Speaker 3: You know, like like up in the air because that.
Speaker 6: Could look like an erection, or you know, you could have maybe one foot up in the air, or you know, you're holding flowers and maybe one of the flowers is drooping.
Speaker 3: They're like, nope, we can't have flowers.
Speaker 6: You know, it's like everything is you know, a metaphor for penis, you know, a rectile dysfunction.
Speaker 3: So it's like like things like a piece of hair. You know, it's it's ridiculous.
Speaker 6: It's ridiculous, how like specific they have to get.
Speaker 2: Kelly is my idol. I'm just love her.
Speaker 1: I was very impressed by the things she did when she didn't know how things.
Speaker 2: Work in Hollywood. I mean, she fucking got it done. No, it's awesome. And I always think about this when someone tries to like dem your fire and they're like, well this person did it this way, like you got to do it this way, and it's like, no, everyone that we respect and love did their own thing, like stop trying to follow the rules step forth by other people, like do whatever the fuck you want. Yeah, Because I remember at one of my first open mics, this guy I was telling this guy goes, yeah, so I do my jokes and there's four minutes and I try to put it and he goes, yeah, that's weird. No one does it that way. And then I saw him on stage and he bombed so bad and was terrible and has never done comedy again. And I was like, someone could have listened to this man's advice. Oh, I guess no one does it this way. I have to do it this way. And it's like, don't listen to anyone. If be a Kelly Who in the world, you know, yes, be a Who, and to fight for her that cover and be like, you know what, go fuck yourself. I want that cover. I want it. I know it's badass. People sometimes get bullied by cool opportunities to succumb to shit, but it's like, follow your gut, do it. Like I don't want to.
Speaker 1: I don't want to not get the cover at all, so I might as well just like do what they tell me.
Speaker 2: It's like or tell them to do what you tell them, you know absolutely. Also, if a man is where it has gel in their hair, they're danger don't talk to them.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait anywhere, So now we're getting into the post mortem, let's discuss what we learn. It's if a man dresses like they're wearing Express for Men button downs and have gel in their hair. Yeah, okay, question for you, Lisa, You're at an airport bar, you are about to board a flight to somewhere international. Okay, you're at a bar, you meet somebody so hot and cool that you leave the airport with them. And now we're assuming that scopolamine has not been used. You're doing this of your own free will, evolition. Who is this person? Like Miley? But I'm sure if we fly private, right, So in this hypothetical situation, the logistics are completely fucked because like, we would never be at like Terminal one a JFK.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, I like, who would be hot enough? No, I would never not because I'm assuming them if I'm flying internationalists for work or vacation or to see a friend, there's no right, no way. Yeah, I would try to make out there like change and there's no There's no way in hell I would not get on that flight, right unless I felt very final destination vibes where the universe was like my gut was saying like, don't get on that. Yeah, and then even that Also, I don't mean to brag, but me and Devin Sala do interact on Twitter kind of often, and it's really it's so cool. Oh he's in Final Destination. I was like, where did this come from? I'm just bragging for news. No, he knows who I am, but I just started responding to everything he does on Twitter. And then now he responds and he's like, yeah, that was a good one. And I'm like, what the fuck is the earth? What is the Internet? What is the allure of Twitter?
Speaker 1: Twitter is such a garbage like hellscape, But the allure is that you might be able to just talk to a guy you.
Speaker 2: Had like a total crush on when you were twelve. You know, wait, who are you leaving the airport with. I'm with you, Like, there's.
Speaker 1: Almost nobody that I would be like, you know what, fuck it, let's go just to hook up instead of me getting on my flight. I just like traveling too much, and you know, I hate to rebook. I would never do a two hundred dollars change fee for for I don't know.
Speaker 2: But who would it be? I don't know, I don't know. Well I do want to say so one time I was flying Southwest with my friend to LA and she went to the bathroom and then this guy started talking and then she's like, I came back and you were friends with everybody how did this happen? I have no idea, but there was a guy and he was a cello player, and we hit it off and then we met at the Saddle Ranch and then we did hook up that night. Yeah, that's how you do it.
Speaker 1: The Seven Ranch, Oh my god, I used to live right around the corner from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was like this cool ass cello player. But now in hindsight, like I don't know if he lied to me or not, but he made it seem that he played the cello for jay Z and that he had been to Prince's house. Did you hook up with Yo Yoma? No?
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 2: Like a cool ass dude. If anyone has ever heard the story in their lives and know this cello player, please tell them what's up? Still thinking about you? When I was in my airport outfit so like like I was dressed like a lunatic and I couldn't believe my luck, Like I just couldn't believe it. So and because my friend had a really great blowout too, so I was like, okay, you, oh you were ready. But yeah, no, I'm not leaving with anyone, especially if I have all these diamonds. But obviously Kelly was drugged. So it's fucking different, right of course, And there's not that much.
Speaker 1: I feel like this episode is a little bit more, you know, not as commonplace in terms of like what like what I'm learning, Like, obviously, watch your drink.
Speaker 2: Everybody watches or drink. But I'm not trying to victim blame.
Speaker 1: You know, she went to like pick something up off the ground and this guy brazenly put a fucking Colombian rape drug in her drink. So that's not you know, nothing to blame her. But I guess, don't buy a huge dog if you have a toddler and a new baby, and don't take them out on walks together.
Speaker 2: I hate that. I hated that whole part. You do not give a kid a leash? Yeah, what is what is going on? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And like I get I guess if you are the kind of person who gets a boner from sexually assaulting people, don't stand up on the stand because everyone's going to see your raging heart on for your own handiwork.
Speaker 2: And we learned that Melinda knows everything. I mean, one little clue she goes it's capolla. I mean, I mean, she's like you mentioned Colombia.
Speaker 1: I happen to know all the drugs specific to all of the South American regions.
Speaker 2: She is a wonder. I think the lesson there is always pay attention. You know, there's clues everywhere. There's little tweets everywhere.
Speaker 1: She found glitter on somebody one time and she goes booty dust. That's my favorite Melinda Warner moment.
Speaker 2: We talked about it with Diane Neil a little bit, we did.
Speaker 1: We talked about booty dust, all right, Yeah, yeah, she loved it too.
Speaker 2: That's one of her favorite moments. Either. I actually I brought glitter to the garage sale. No one bought any glitter from me, but I did say to our friend Lauren, I go, if you're ever mean to me, I will give your daughter a glitter. I go. Now I have this giant container, so you better watch your back. Or Francis is getting this jug of glitter. Just to follow up.
Speaker 1: To the bag of googly eyes you gave her a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: Google eyes is a great gift if you know someone that's a little silly, a bag of Google eyes goes a long way. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also I would say, also, something I've learned from this is like look, I don't think Benson ever deserves to get slapped.
Speaker 2: She had to report the dolphin rape video. I'll say, oh yeah, fuck stabler. If someone doesn't remember their attack, leave them alone, right, leave them alone. I do not believe it. That was a really wrong moment. That was like messed up. Oh do you know? You know what?
Speaker 1: I was just listening to my favorite murderer, an old one, and they were talking about how in the Carla Hamolka Paul Bernardo thing, they were drugging girls too, and a lot of the girls never knew that they were tacked until they found the videos. It's very similar to this, Wow, isn't that crazy? And like then they saw what happened to them terrible.
Speaker 2: I would say no thanks, I'd say I don't need to see this and go fuck yourself. And what's your badge number? That's what I would say. They say, we're going to be doing something. And then from the real life case, if you're really rich, you should raise your kids like your poor so they develop better personalities. Yeah. Yeah, Like if I even if I was like super super, I would pretend that we didn't have money. I would just be like, I don't know if we can afford it. Just so these kids aren't like Max factoring, running around like lunatics. Max factoring. That's the new verb for acting like a spoiled asshole. Yeah, Max factoring about town all right?
Speaker 1: Well, as usual, a seamless segue into our next segment, What would Sister Peg Do WWSPD our weekly segment where we direct you towards resources, articles, organizations that can help flesh out the topic that we touched a little bit on today's episode. This week, we are highlighting the organization No More, which is dedicated to ending domestic violence and sexual assault by increasing awareness, inspiring action, and fueling culture change. You can find out more about them at www dot No More dot org.
Speaker 2: And next week's episode will be Head Season five, episode twenty five. Such a good one. Head is a classic. Honestly, Kara, I would say, you've been trying to do heads since day one. Yeah, you've been talking about this since the start our first meetings together. And you know there you can always watch SVU on our enemy Hulu or Peacock or you know your local library do all the cool yeah, all the cool things. And we're so lucky you're watching. And I'm so happy. The world's opening up so we can meet all of you guys all over. So if you see us, come say hi, Yeah, see you guys next week maybe y bye bye bye. That's Messed Up as an Exactly Right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email at That's Messed Up Pod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to SBU super fan and our incredible producer, Hannah Kyle Kraton, and to our.
Speaker 1: Sound engineer and personal hero Anali Snilson.
Speaker 2: And to Henry Koperski for our theme song, to Carly Jean Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thanks to our executive producers Georgia Hardstar, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 2: Listen, subscribe, leave us a review on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts. If you're an advertiser interested in advertising on our show. Go to midroll dot com. Slash ads done done,