Speaker 1: Thanks for tuning in. I'm Peanut Tillman and this is the NFL Player's second act podcast with me as always as my my trustee, good friend with the beige.
Speaker 2: He's trying to think of a great compass. I don't. I got nothing. I got nothing. Thank you as always tuning in. Make sure you give us a five star rating. Hit that like subscribe button. Peanut, I'm really excited about this young man that we have in the building. I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm not that excited about.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I understand you. I forgot. I want you to introduce this person. I'm so angry right now.
Speaker 1: I just got mad.
Speaker 2: I will handle that, okay. Well, this guy played tight end for five seasons with the NFL. In the NFL with the Colts and the Bengals. He was a Super Bowl champion with the Indianapolis Coach beat Peanuts the Chicago Bears in Super Bowl forty one. He's a singer songwriter and I've listened to a couple of them, and has released multiple albums. He's now the CEO of soul Care RX, which makes the first ever fully disposable anti bacterial shower sock. Everybody welcome in.
Speaker 3: Ben you Yon. Thank you, fellas, thank you thanks for having me and I listen, I dig, I dig the setup you got going on?
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you.
Speaker 3: You got the Blues mansion, We got the socks, We got the socks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this was the Shoela very And then this is intentional, very intentional. Yeah, everything, that's huge when I come out here, very intentional, as Peanut likes to say. All right, man, so what was your welcome to the NFL moment?
Speaker 3: Welcome to the NFL moment was Bob Sanders Oh, okay, okay, who I played again in college to being a Gopher or he was an animal. He was carry oh, especially in college, because they built the entire defense around him.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It was like Tyrone Carter when he was playing for the Gophers, right, and Gibbs built the entire defense around around Tyrone. Right, so they would just put him, you know, in in the gap, you know, against all the other defensive specialists. So Bob Sanders uh was such a powerful he was like a wrecking ball, right, shortened stature but being and everything else. And so getting hit that first day was like, okay, this is different. So yeah he did in practice. Yeah, do you remember to play I was just running an narrow route to the sideline, you know, I mean it was literally just you know, forty five degree angle two yards boom, safety coming down here. Well, you know, you know that's a that's where you tee off on the tight ends. So and being tall, you know, you're wide open across the.
Speaker 2: Bomb's like eight Yeah everybody.
Speaker 3: But fearless Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like that crazy. So Ben, what was that feeling? Like? Man winning Super Bowl forty one where you beat my got pinut?
Speaker 3: Like, there's this all this personal Listen, do you want to wear the ring? I mean I can teach.
Speaker 1: I'm good, I'm a past I feel like Thomas in the corner is like made this personal with with all these questions.
Speaker 2: I think you're taking it personally. Okay, I was asking, Yeah, his experience.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen it. Uh, you know, we all have these we all have these stories.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I grew up in a very small river town in Minnesota called Hastings, literally on the Mississippi River. And uh, the the football stadium that we played in in high school was called Todd Field and it was a bowl literally cut out of the middle of this city of twelve twelve, thirteen, thousand people at the time, and so just to even come out of that type of community and have a chance to play college football, let alone for that to lead you to the greatest, you know, stage in athletics is it's hard to really put into words, you know. So so that Super Bowl was truly a dream come true for me, and it was a tough journey to get there, you know. And I think that's what makes me appreciate it even more was it wasn't just handed out right, and there was there was a number of miracles that had to happen for me to even be on the Colts because of my injury my senior year and Tony Dungee was my miracle story to the NFL. So so there's all those woments. We were playing Wisconsin and I released on a corner route. I got about twelve yards, planted my foot, turned for the ball and heard and felt popping all across my lower abdomen and I ended up tearing the dominant muscles from the pubic bone on both sides.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So, and I was up for the Mackie Award and was projected to go mid to late first round. I mean, this was a this was a big moment for me, and just like that, it was it was gone. And two months later, during the draft, I can't come to learn that all of the team's red flagued me as too much of a health risk at the combine. So went from being a potential first rounder to not getting drafted at all and driving up to my agent's office like holding back tears. I mean, I had my degree but didn't really know. Yeah, right, because you know, we put our exit in the football back absolutely. And two months before that experience, I'm speaking at a University of Minnesota alumni event and I get to open for Tony Dungee in front of about six seven hundred alumni. And I get up in front of this group and I say, hey, coach, if you really care about Minnesota, right, if you're a true Gopher, you're going to draft me in the upcoming draft. And everybody got a kick out of it, and he was gracious enough to respond, came to the mic hey, and then you know, we know how talented you are. We'd love to have you, but we drafted Dallas Clark last year in the first round, so we're not really looking for tight ends. Steps back from the podium, pauses as if he's being downloaded something right, Man of Faith, and he comes back to the mic and he says, you know what, I'm going to make a promise to you in front of all these people. If for some reason you slip through the cracks and for some reason you don't get drafted, I promise you I'll be the first person to call. So fast forward two months. Get to my agent's office. Five seconds after the free agent market opens, the phone in the middle of his desk rings. I pick it up and it was Tony Dungee and Hall of Fame general manager Bill Pollian calling a free agent right. I left over and they said, look, we didn't think this was going to happen. Our physicians know what your injury is, so we want to send you to the top surgeon in the country. We want you to get better. We don't even want you to think about playing the first year. Just heal. And on top of that, we'll pay you as though you're a playing rookie. And here's thousand dollars signing bonus. And the miracle, guys, is like the next year, Dallas goes down with an injury last game in preseason. I get to start Sunday night kickoff against Ray Lewis and the Baltimore Ravens. Right third quarter, rolls around defensive safety botches the coverage, leaves me wide open. On the scene, Peyton hits me back shoulder touchdown, ran over that safety. I'm getting off the ground, I realized it's Deon Sanders. So my very first game, I get the game ball because I had an amazing game, caught a touchdown from a Hall of Fame quarterback, ran through arguably one of the greatest defensive players of all time. And I remained a starter on that team for the next three years and found my way onto a super Bowl platform. And it's it's only because of one man. It's only because of Tony Dungee.
Speaker 2: That's a great story's story.
Speaker 3: It is he and that's the reason I mean, I'm I'm I'm you know, I'm an entrepreneur, but I spend most of my time helping companies build championship culture. And it's all of what Dungee did in Indianapolis and turning all that into programs that can help transform culture in business.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, you were blessed to play with or to be coached by does you, but you are also blessed enough to be with Peyton? What was what was that?
Speaker 2: Like, oh, man, would you would you?
Speaker 1: Would you learn from him?
Speaker 3: I learned the importance of professionalism and that it doesn't just extend on the field, like professionalism is three hundred and sixty degrees of who you are as a human being. And that was one of the things I really appreciated about Peyton was he was always a professional on the field and whenever he stepped on the field, just his execution, his level of excellence raised the bar for everybody else. But he was that way off the field, whether it was with his family, whether it was you know, with his business endeavors. He's bringing the same degree of preparation and practice to everything else that he's doing in life. Not not to say that he's perfect and none of us are, but but the degree, you know, to which I experienced that level of professionalism was.
Speaker 1: Was profound because he's demanding as the everyone. I think we've all heard the rumors about how monopoly is and demanding of your time, and it was so was he super demanding all the time. Because I know the story I got when we played on the Super Bowl we were kind of more of the South Beach area and you guys are like out and away and I heard him, yeah, I heard. He was just like, no, we're staying. I want to be further away. This is the business trip, the guys going out, like I heard, that was what I heard. Now, I don't know how true that part is.
Speaker 3: That was like, no, that's true, it's true, and I'll tell you and I've never shared this story, so sorry, Peyton, But but here's the thing, like this, so to your point, because this is this goes back to professionalism, right. So we're sitting in our team meeting talking about, you know, what the experience is going to be, like all of our wives were invited to this meeting as well, and Bill Pollian had shared that because we're going to be down there for a full week, for those of you that are married, we're going to allow your wives to stay with you during during the week of practice leading up to the performance. And all of a sudden, Peyton's hand goes up. You know, hey, Bill, you know I think we I think we need to talk through that a little bit. You know, it's just it's something different than we've ever done before. And you know, I don't know if we should just make that decision right now. Okay, Peyton, we'll we'll talk about we'll talk about that move on. About five minutes later, Peyton stands up in the middle of the remedy says, hey, Bill, I just I just made the decision. Wives aren't going to be staying with husbands just like that, Okay, okay, Peyton, And they didn't, and they didn't, and it was the right move. And yes, there was some frustration, you know, at the moment, in the moment, but the reality was, we are going to treat this week the exact same way we treated every other single week. We're not going to be bringing in, you know, different experiences that could affect the mindset of the player. And it ultimately was the right call. But yes, there was he was demanding, you know. Yeah on the field too, man. I remember my first pass from Peyton was it was an arrow route and he threw it on my back, on my back hip, and I couldn't make the adjustment in time, and so I dropped, dropped the ball. And I learned real quick that you don't drop the ball right because he came flying up to me and he basically said. He basically said, I'm throwing the ball to specific locations because of what I'm seeing behind you, So you have to be ready for wherever I put the ball, right, I put it on your back hit because the corner came off of the receiver and he was coming down on your outside to clean you up. So I'm telling you by throwing the ball there that I want you to adjust and come and turn back inside and get get up the field. Right.
Speaker 2: Smart communication, It's smart.
Speaker 3: I mean it didn't sound smart at the time, and it was loud, right. I got taken out after that played, But that those types of demands were, you know, really were his leadership shined.
Speaker 2: You know, I gotta be honest because what you just said about the Super Bowl, what the decision that was made. We'll call it a team decision, but didn't sound like it was. And so because when we played against the Colts in two thousand and ten Super Bowl or two thousand and nine season, we were down to Miami again, yep, and once again we were close to the South South Beach. We were more downtown though, yeah we're downtown Miammy Colts all the way, and Ford lauda deal. They were going to be the same way. And so when we saw them, we saw some of the players out on that Monday night and like they were acting very conservative, like they had been there before. And my team, gosh, no, we never been here before. Panama.
Speaker 3: Everybody, everybody had the escalator, let's go.
Speaker 1: That was we had to escalate and everyone they gave us the catalyp sponsors. We had guys like Rent and Lamborghini's for an hour, like it's just.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. We totally acted like we had never been there before, and luckily we wanted to stole the com possession won the game. But it's just funny, like how preparation but then also how things can be maniacal and how sometimes your your leaders or the players kind of run things the way that they do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna take a short break and we'll.
Speaker 2: Be right back. You go on.
Speaker 1: Drafted, you played five seasons, got a pretty good bag in in in your career. What's one word that can describe your football career because it wasn't long.
Speaker 3: Oh man, one word that's the top fellas me. You need, well, I so you need I'm just gonna I'll just there are a number that come in my depending on where you want to you know, where you want to come from, right, because I wanted to play a lot longer than five years. I would I would say, if I choose more of the positive perspective, you know, either meaningful or blessed.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I mean it was cut short due to concussion, and I had a pretty significant one that ended it on hard knocks when I was playing in Cincinnati. So it wasn't a lack of talent, uh, it just it was a lack of you know, relevance really and and and the brain you know, being the most important part of who we are, so having to make a really tough decision, you know, due to brain house. So I don't want to say that because the other word that came to my mind was disappointment, right, because it wasn't but that moment and how it ended was and so but I would say, yeah, I'd say blessed is probably the best word to describe it, because everything that I'm doing now has really come out of that incredible experience.
Speaker 2: You brought something up, you said something that you know it was because of concussions, but then also it was on hard knocks. How does that like, how do you how often does that come up? How do you go about handling that with the cameras there in front of other people when you literally are like, I'm losing everything I think I've ever had worth?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, man, And that's that was really to be a private moment. It's really hard. It was really hard, guys, you know, because I regained consciousness being strapped to a gurney and rushed to the to the hospital, and so, you know, there was a lot of trauma in in in that, just emotionally and so and then and then obviously healing right you you you know, everybody that they're wanting to HBO is wanting to follow up and get you back on camera as quickly as possible, but you know, how do you even know what you're gonna say in that moment? And being under lights like you know, like this, it's just it was it was really tough from that perspective. When I was finally cleared to play, you know, I went and tried out with the Patriots and and it became pretty apparent that the concussion history was going to be it was going to be an issue. But it's when my dad actually told me that if I signed with another team, he wouldn't watch me play again.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, And.
Speaker 3: That pretty much sealed the deal. That was. That was his way of saying, you know, your future is so much more important than, you know, than a game. You know, not that he didn't love the game and love watching me play, right, because it all started with him in the backyard. But I think I think I needed to hear those words from someone that I, you know, love so deeply, you know, to be able to kind of move on from something that I love. So, you know, I know, if that makes sense, but.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you. Yeah, Like I haven't spoken to anybody that's been in that situation where their careers kind of ended in the public view, like yeah, and then all of a sudden, you're trying to battle back and then all of a sudden, but to have your father step in and be like, hey son, you know yeah, and he didn't want to tell you not to go back out, no, no, but I'll tell you this and then we'll see how you react, exactly like a real father.
Speaker 3: And my dad was a pastor, and so I grew up in a very you know, you know, we had a lot of conversations around around identity, and so for him it was it was always like been like you got to believe that where God closes one door, another door is going to open. And the doors that opened really were the answer to your question, right, because all of a sudden, something that became the worst part of my sports career, all of a sudden became the best part of my philanthropic career.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So when I when I retired, I got asked to be the national spokesperson for the American Academy of Neurology, which is, I believe it or not, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and it's the most precigious neurology group in the world. I joined the Machio White Player Health and Safety Committee with the NFL Players Association, testified in Congress on behalf of the NFL Players Association was able to tell my story my concussion grievance was significant at a really significant time in the concussion injury in football, and so the outcome of that grievance would lead towards the new return to play protocols. So when you think of it, you know, it's like I really was a part of a movement and my injury is as tragic in some ways as it was for me personally, actually paved the way for, you know, the new policies that we have in play place for player health and safety today when it comes to football. It wouldn't have happened potentially without this exact situation and with how visible it was on television, because you can go back and watch it today, you know, And.
Speaker 2: It's crazy because like we could. That was the same thing with when Tua Tongue of Allo got his disoncussion. It was like if it would have been a regular Saturday Sunday game middle of the day, it's not even the thing, but the fact that it's on Sunday night or Monday night, everyone everybody saw it. At that point. He was like, well, the normal average fan is not used to seeing those type of things. And so, like you said, the visibility of it, yep, puts.
Speaker 3: It more as a premium absolutely, and especially because of the education that now exists. Because if you guys remember, you know, when we were playing before the concussion crisis as they call it began to occur, we didn't we don't we didn't really have any information. There was no protocol and there wasn't a lot of education around the long term impacts of traumatic brain injury inside the NFL, Outside the NFL, in the medical community, there's three decades of of information. So I think that the flooding in of education now makes people look at that injury differently. You know, so when they see two on the ground and he's and he's in a really, really tough shape, it's it's there's a lot more empathy, I think, and compassion for the injury, and that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about some some post football business careers that you're into. So in September you started a company called soul Care soul Care are X. Yes, and that was a result of fungal infection.
Speaker 3: Yeah that you uh Cincinnati, Yeah, concussions and infections.
Speaker 2: I didn't get drafted there. Concussions and infections. Yeah, they probably they didn't even have the indoor then neither did they they did not? Yeah? No clean up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So talk talk about like go a little bit more in the shore, but like, yeah, what are the Obviously we know you had a fungel infection, but like, yeah, talk about why and how and well, at first.
Speaker 3: It starts with just the entrepreneurial spirit. I've I've always just been drawn towards, you know, being a creative right, That's that's where the music part of me came out, and so always driven towards the development or innovation of something, and the building of of something was something I was always drawn towards. And that's what I've done in my my speaking business and my culture and leadership business, and then with soul Care, it really just came out of an experience and asking a question, you know, is there a disposable antibacterial and fungal you know, wearable shower, wearable that I can put on my foot instead of a flip flop because I was wearing flip flops.
Speaker 2: I was wondering, were you the guy with no flip flops?
Speaker 3: But which there's a lot of by the way, I sat there in Lifetime Fitness in Minnesota, just counting as I'm you know, building this product, like, how many guys are actually wearing flip flops? So most don't now in in you know, in the league obviously, you know there you get a lot more guys that are that are that are wearing slides, but but the reality is they're not anti bacterial and and the bacterian fungus actually combined to the to the side. And then how often do we disinfect? Did you ever disinfect your sandals anytime you've ever used them?
Speaker 2: Right, felt like the soap. It like.
Speaker 3: It was just the bottom of my foot, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: The bottom, not the bottom of a foot, was the bottom of this.
Speaker 3: I got this thing in training camp and it was not athletes foot. It was something else, and it and it it took a took about three weeks a couple of pediatrists to get the right prescription and then it and then it was a better part of three months before really really yeah, I'm telling you scarring on my left foot from the dry and cracking skin. Not to get too gross, but I mean, you know, we get athletes foot and there's stuff like this, but this was this was on a different level. And I didn't lose performance, but I definitely was on my mind. I could I could feel it right, the burning in the in the itching, and and so when I retired and I was back kind of in civilian fitness facility lifestyle, I just couldn't believe, you know, what the floors look like and they cleaned once a day, just like they did in Cincinnati, and and so, uh, I literally went on Amazon and I was like, just to be something I can just out of side, out of mind. I can just put on my foot, easy, wash my foot through, you know, and then just throw it away. And there was nothing. It's never been created. So I patented it and it's the first ever in the world. It's the only the only alternative is a is a flip flopper, a slide. And so I met with a very good friend of mine, Mario Nazzarella, who is a global leader in medtech in Minneapolis, and he said, that's an amazing idea. I know exactly how to build that company. So I've got a guy who has forty years experience and has led multiple companies to acquisition, who's now helping build soul Care.
Speaker 2: That is exciting.
Speaker 1: That's telling you, I'm gonna go out on the website and get me some of them. It'd be great for traveling too.
Speaker 3: It's awesome. It's it's the guys. The verticals are are insane.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So the podiatrists that I worked with at the University of Minnesota said, anywhere a foot touch is tile. So you're thinking university dormitories obviously, athletics, hotels, which is a travel industry, campgrounds of America, truck stops on and on anywhere a foot touch is tile, and and the sock is treated with a fragrance so it smells it. So it's treating odor while at the same time having a technology application that repels all bacteria and fungus and you can wash your foot, you know, through the sock. So honestly, it should be in every hotel room.
Speaker 2: Is that like it's like you already got the selling points ofself anywhere foot touches.
Speaker 3: Tied anywhere foot touches tile.
Speaker 1: Is that an ankle sock?
Speaker 3: Is it? It's like a no show ankle sock. Yeah, So you're literally just you know, just imagine like a you know, the the the doctor's glove boxes, you know, on the wall, just being able to pull those out or as I've been meeting with with college trainers, they love the idea of just being able to pull them out of the box and put a pair on everybody's seat, so you know, you come off the field, you know you're traveling away, and you know you can just put the sock on and and we we honestly like to look at the sock as is not the foe to the slide, but it's actually it's actually a friend.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So if you love wearing flip flops, keep wearing them. Just put the shot on so that when all that water that you're slashing around comes up on top of your foot and stuff like that, you've got something that's actually repelling all that all that bacteria. Right.
Speaker 2: So when I read about this company that you did, like, I thought it was like fantastic. God damn, was like I couldn't believe that.
Speaker 3: Nobody else, you know, I didn't literally I couldn't believe it either.
Speaker 2: And I read your story. You said like I just asked, and nobody ever did it, right, And that was the thing. I was like, Yeah, why nobody ever did that? And so great answer and great question because more people should have been asking this. And I just thought the slide was enough. I did too. You told me that you're disinfected.
Speaker 1: I was like, well, yeah, no, I thought walking on the bottom of.
Speaker 2: It was that was the point.
Speaker 3: I mean, it is a barrier, but it's you know, it's not it's not it And and guys, there's a you know, getting into this world, this pedietric world, there's a there's a huge humanitarian crisis. So we we've already started working with Samaritan's Feet out of Charlotte and the World Shoe and and they're the number one nonprofit to provide you know, footwear or shoes to the under resourced communities and countries of the world. Right founders from Nigeria, Africa. They just gave away their eleventh million, millionth pair of shoe. And so the reality is as you I mean, you've got the spa and the fitness culture, but then you've got a world where you know, you have extreme infection that comes out of contaminated soil that millions upon millions of people are are walking through all across countries like Africa. And how can we work with the UN and the World Health Organization that are that are creating wellness kits that are going out to all of these all of these families and and and partner with them and and give them another additive that can be protective and and hopefully provide some some safety.
Speaker 2: Well ben what other products I know, you're still just going to lots here, Yeah, next the next month or so but when what what other products do you have in mind or that you would like to see next up for you guys.
Speaker 3: It's a great question and one that you always have to be asking yourself, you know, as an entrepreneur, so that you know this is one of the This is one of the the blessings of having somebody like Mario running the ship. Is is kind of the experience in medtech and and and really walking through the FDA approval process and the patent process. So the reason for soul Care r ex is that we are already in the process of filing for new products in the future that not only will be preventatives, but will be treatment. Right, So the ability to have wearables that can actually treat different types of infection, so not just protection but also treatment, right because right now we just basically have aerosol or ointment, but imagine being able to put something on that can treat like a.
Speaker 2: Wearable I can get eight yeah, treat me for eight.
Speaker 3: Hours exactly that you can wear when you sleep, and you can wear underneath the sock, I mean you can you can be doing some pretty powerful treatments through that process as well. So we definitely want to see that product line grow over time.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a short break and we'll be right back. I'm the president of Charles Tillman Incorporated, and I'm trying to navigate that as being a CEO. How are you navigating in a new CEO? Don't make that face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen. The learning curve has been awesome because, you know, the the job of a CEO is really too is really to understand all aspects of of the business, you know, to the to the degree that you can have an impact, right and then to really like a head coach right in a scouting department, you want to you want to acquire talent that is going to be able to fill you know, the gaps and to be able to support the vision that the CEO is is giving. And so that's been you know, being more on the creative side. Having to understand the importance of operations has been you know, probably the greatest challenge for me is is I think especially as an athlete, we come into teams and they have everything perfectly struck. Yeah, exactly right. But now you have as a CEO, you have to be the one to develop the structure. And so that that was kind of a wake up call. Wow, Okay, there's a lot more that goes into building a successful business than just showing up and playing every day.
Speaker 2: So, you know you, and you've mentioned Coach Dungee previously, what do you think that you've learned from maybe Coach Dungee or any of your other former players that will help you in your leadership style as being the CEO. I've heard you've already said it's about talent acquisition, yep, all right, getting great players and people around you. But then, what else do you think you've learned from.
Speaker 3: The greatest thing that I learned from Tony Dungee was that culture does not have to be subjective. It's the most talked about theme in business, but most people don't know what to do about it. But that culture can be an objective tool that you can build by design, because you're always going to have culture by designer default, right, because culture comes out of foundational beliefs and the behaviors that are representative of those beliefs. Right. So for Dungee, it was about, like, when we build our culture in Indianapolis, we're actually going to create systems around how to practice our value principles so that we're actually developing ourselves as men, because Roman, what he believed was that if you build better men, you get better football players. And you know this with your with your coach. Yeah, Ivey was the same.
Speaker 1: Way, identical, And I mean those two thous were identical. They just worked for two different teams. Never curse, never really shouted, don't knew how to talk to you. You could could motivate you just about looking at you, like, yeah, and you always wanted us to go out there and give a coach Smith, the coach Dungee. You're all great men.
Speaker 3: But to that point, so like because Dungee was the same way, right, no vulgarity, Okay, But then he turned that into an action, actual system and an expectation of the team. And so he actually uh described exactly really spend time talking about why why why do I want you to not use vulgar language in these specific areas and how does that how is that reflective of the team, and how is that reflective of your character as a man. Now, what you do outside of outside of the field, that's on you. But when you're in my house, Okay, here's the system for how we're going to best present ourselves as men of integrity, and so that was kind of the rule. And here's how we're going to practice it. You know, when you're when you're in the locker room, when you're out on the field and there are cameras around it, and describing objectively, here are the situations. I do not want you to use, you know, bad language, right, making it really easy for the players to you know, to be able to go and practice just a different kind of practice.
Speaker 1: So a lot of time Rome plays golf, and I know he does a lot of he does a lot of ninja training. Oh right, Yeah, So my question is do you still own the Concor Ninja JEMs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's one of my that's one, that's one my other Yeah, it's one of my other endeavors. Yeah, I uh, I kind of act as a fractional chief culture officer for Concor Ninja Gyms and I'm an owner in that, in that franchise.
Speaker 2: Say that one more time. Yeah, that was a great word, sandwiche right there.
Speaker 3: That's a word, sandwich. It's a tasty word, sandwich.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you know, I got to know Concord Ninja Gyms, which is the fastest growing ninja franchise in the country right now and they're headquartered in in Minnesota and became a part of that group as an owner, but then also brought in all of my expertise on how to build organizational culture, especially in franchising, because you you're scaling it, right, so you want to replicate the success of somebody like a Chi where you experienced the same culture of hospitality in every single location. So how do we build that out through the sport of ninja, which is just I think just accepted into the twenty twenty eight Olympics as one of their next sports. So it's going to be huge for the business. Yeah, but it's it's a great franchise and and I'm I'm really excited about that growth.
Speaker 2: So have you ever done any Ninja Warriors? Yeah, because you like big, you're a tall guy.
Speaker 3: I know, but I got it, man, when I got into it, I could I could do some stuff. Yeah, like you'd be shocked some stuff. Yeah, like the salmon ladder. Forget about it. I own that's where you're taking the bar and you're.
Speaker 2: Like way up one.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, Yeah, yep, what about that. I would actually go and do my I'd actually go.
Speaker 2: And do work. I feel like the rams easy because you're tall.
Speaker 3: Do you think the ramp is easy? But once you get into that fourteen sixteen eighteen feet yeah, and all of a sudden, that ramp starts to come back out at you. Yeah, and then you got to grab it, and then you got to pull yourself up. And it's a lot higher when you're up top when you're on the bottom. Right.
Speaker 1: But I went to the show one time, Akuar, he basically was saying the majority of the people that do American Ninja Warrior, like they get on the show. He's like, it's not people like us. He's like, we're one, we're too tall, we're heavy. He's like these guys that normally do it, they're about He's like yeah, he's like peanut, the someent little kids like they like five sem five six, they fly No, they fly it. Hey, He's like, they like one hundred and forty five pounds, the big grip stuff.
Speaker 3: We can we can pull off. It's it's the it's the wall. It's you know, when you're on an inch board and you having to hang on that's where we that's where we can't handle it. But but no, great for kids. Man, what an awesome you know, it's called the fitness entertainment industry enfranchising, right, and so it's awesome for kids. So we've built out an entire culture platform that revolves around seven core values. Each of those values are placed as symbols that are on all of the padding in every location. So training coaches to not just train ninja, but to train about integrity, to train about courage and respect and really, so as kids are going through the coaching, not only are they getting you know, athletic training, but they're getting life skill training. And that was a big That was a big differentiator we wanted to bring to the table.
Speaker 2: So, Ben, something I clearly didn't know about you until we did some research shout out to Thomas in the corner, is that you were also a singer, I know, crazy and songwriter.
Speaker 1: Singer songwriter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so how did you get into that? I remember you said your father was a pastor, so I assume you kind of grew.
Speaker 3: Up grew around singing in the church for sure.
Speaker 2: My dad was I sang the church. I just well, really yeah, let's go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was what do it? Sometimes?
Speaker 2: Tom waited time out? When did you did you sing happy Day, No, like I was in the choir. Bro like I was in the group. I just couldn't get to that because then I'm off key and I'm like.
Speaker 3: He was like.
Speaker 2: A choir exactly.
Speaker 3: That's good. I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Okay, dude, they don't turn anybody down to the church.
Speaker 3: No, all are welcome, Come as you are, Come as you everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No. My dad was a vocal music major to be a choir teacher before he became a pastor. So I grew up, you know, around music and and got some training at home.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And then that turned into professional singing in college. I started doing all the national anthems at the University of Minnesota. Really, I got to sing for to presidents. Then I signed a record deal in Nashville when I was playing for the Colts. Ended up ended up meeting.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a funny story. I was speaking uh in Anderson, Indiana, and afterwards a just a you know, crazy excited blonde woman wearing a Peyton man in Jersey rushes me, Oh, I can't. I just love the Colts, you know, would you sign this for me? I said, sure? Who do I make it out to? And she said Sandy Patty. And I went, Sandy Patty like the most decorated female singer in history outside of CELINDI on Sandy Patty. And she's an inspirational Christian singer. But has you know I can't even remember six six, eight, six seven or eight grammys. I mean, she's I grew up listening to Sandy Patty, right if you grew up in the church, you grew up listening to Sandy Patty. And I said, you need to sign this for me. Well, she ended up becoming my my singing mentor and introduced me to all of our management in Nashville, and and so I ended up signing. That's how I ended up signing a record deal. Through that process. I think I'm actually the only player in NFL history too, just to sing before he ever played. So I got asked to sing the national anthem at the Buffalo Bill's preseason game really in Indianapolis. No, not in the uniform, No, because I just had that surgery, so I was I wasn't playing yet at that point, but the Indianapolis market first experienced me as a singer and not as a football player. That was crazy, and nobody knew like none of the coaching staff. Now, none of the players knew, right, they were all out on the sideline, and then all of a sudden it gets announced and uh and so that was really that was I mean, they didn't even know they dropped jod Ron. It was like, you know, it was I think it was something that just completely blew them away. And then the year after our Super Bowl year, I got asked to sing with Sandy and the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra during the month of December. Yeah, and I went to Tony and Bill Poyne, and I was pretty nervous about asking because I didn't want them to think that I wasn't focused on football, but they were gracious enough to say, look, as long as your play doesn't doesn't suffer, then by all means, So I ended I ended up performing at sixteen concerts with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra during our season in the month of December. I would literally go from home games, run off through the Indianapolis Skyway to the Orchestra Hall and then and then go on stage with Sandy and sing. It's really crazy though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. And so when you would sing in college like the colts didn't know you had to like, did they not scout good enough? They were not asking to write place?
Speaker 3: They don't care, you know what I mean. And it's you know, yeah, but like, how did this?
Speaker 2: How did you start this in college though? Because most people, you know, and we all got one or two guys that can sing on the team, but.
Speaker 3: Someone yeah, yeah, yeah, I don't you know, someone found out about it, and I got a call from the event organizer for the Minnesota Go for hockey team and basically saying, look, we heard that that you're a singer. Would you ever be interested in doing an anthem? And so that's really how that's the first time I stepped out in front of you know, ten thousand people in an arena and actually sing. And then and then once you do that, you know, you just start getting getting the invitations, right, So that's really where that started to lead. And then Sandy was the next step in actually giving me an opportunity to pursue music as a as a career. And I always thought that that was going to have a lot of potential, but I just learned really quickly that the only business harder than the NFL is is you know, music, and film entertainment. Yeah, because it doesn't It doesn't really have to do with talent. It has to do with timing and money right and knowing the right people at the right time right because they're so I mean, you just go to Nashville Broadway Gray Street any night and and you're going to hear people that are just unbelievable, but they'll never make it, you know what I mean. It's artists, that's what That's what it is. Yeah, and so you know, I I its just I was I was touring and and and some some good things are happening, but just never that burst into into being able to turn it into a career because you need to have, you know, tens of thousands of loyal fans to really provide you with the the revenue that you need to to make it something that you can provide for your family. And my speaking career was was really taken off at that time. And and so we just had twins. We have four daughters, So pray for me, please. Fifteen identical twins are fourteen and nine, and so two sets of twins, nope, just one. So fifteen identical twins are fourteen and then and then nine years old.
Speaker 2: Oh my math was wrong.
Speaker 1: I was like wait wait yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I reacted that way anyways.
Speaker 2: So how do you do you guys who has twins in their family? None?
Speaker 3: Identicals? Are the are the ones that are not? But you know they're not. No, it's just it's just the Yeah, it's the magical moment. Yeah, yeah, you're welcome. No, thank you, No, it was great, but you know, and we needed help to be honest with you. So that so we were we we moved back home. We were living in Nashville at the time, and so we moved back home just to be around family. But I wouldn't trade it for the world. Man. I love being a girl.
Speaker 1: Dad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're they're amazing, all volleyball players, very good, very good. So our fifteen year old is she's highly recruited and so it's going to be an interesting year.
Speaker 2: That's going to be. That's gotta be awesome.
Speaker 3: It's so cool.
Speaker 2: How how intense are you? And like, how yeah are you? Volleyball is a very interesting sport because it's very emotional for sure, and like the spikes and it's not as physical because they got the net exactly, but it's still the emotions in the highs and the lows, like even a basketball game, because the back and forth.
Speaker 3: It made me respect guys like Tony Dongee and Lovey Smith because of that quiet strength. How they could just sit there on the sidelines when things didn't go well and not just you know, lose their minds, you know, and and realizing how much more chance lungeinge that actually is right? And and how do you manage that because you don't want your kids to you know, see you reacting that way because you're reliving your own athletic experiences at the same time. That's right, And then you know, I think the hardest thing though, is you know, you know they tell you don't coach your kids. Yeah, that's so hard for me, it is. It's so hard because I feel like I know everything because I because I played one sport at the level so well, wait a second, does that give me a pass? Like can I should be the one that can coach my daughter? Because I have absolutely But that's yeah, so I I I actually do stay pretty involved. I want to do whatever I can to give them the best opportunity possible.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you coming on the pots. You learned a lot about you than you.
Speaker 3: Yes, you got to get it, man. I'll have samples here tomorrow at the NFL Legends Business event. So if you guys are around a week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is des the website looking one of the lookingto that camera right there and tell us where you can get it showerstock dot com.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're already selling it. Yea, so easy, man, was gonna be like something.
Speaker 2: I was like, Hey, that was your second I'm done. Ye easy to remember. Congratulations. Football in life has this weird way of taking us on this journey that we don't know the end of, but yours it seems to be getting brighter by the day. I appreciate seeing her. You got four beautiful girls, seem like you're you're doing. You're on the right path man, and football to to get taken away from you to all of a sudden now aspire you and open up all these other doors and avenues and knowing that but you're taking this opportunity and you're helping others. So for that, I'm very appreciative and thankful for this time getting to share your experience and experience and sharing it with me and Peanuts and thanks, thank you guys. Appreciate it, sir. All right man, Hey, all of our viewers and listeners out there, thank you as always for tuning in. Make sure you give us a five star rating, a review, climent, share, like, subscribe, follow y'all even on our YouTube channel, the NFL's own YouTube channel. Look at us. We are doing big things, all right, Peanut, get us out of here.
Speaker 1: My boy, hey, you already did. I'm Peanut, my guy Ben, my other guy, Roman Harper. This is the NFL Player's Second Act podcast.
Speaker 2: We appreciate y'all.
Speaker 3: We out