Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Let's get back now to Bloomberg's Michael McKee in Washington.
Speaker 1: He's sitting down with Fed Governor Christopher Waller. Mike, Well, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: And welcome to Bloomberg Television and Radio worldwide. Chris Waller, thank you for taking the time to come in today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks, Mike, I appreciate having me on.
Speaker 2: You give a speech a short time ago in which you said tariffs are the elephant in the room. Elephant seems to have only gotten bigger. You told me you were in Saint Louis yesterday for a FED Listens event which is supposed to be about your framework review, and all anybody wanted to talk about was tariff's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's pretty much the talk of the town. It's kind of hard not to talk about the economy without having to address it.
Speaker 2: Well, the Beige Book yesterday addressed it used the word uncertainty eighty times in that companies talking about not growing but possible layoffs, getting ready to do something to try to mitigate the effects of tariffs. Are you seeing are you hearing the same things from companies that they're sort of stepping back and just sitting on the sidelines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that's the general tone of every person I've talked about in the private sector is that they're just kind of frozen by what's going to happen with tariffs and so cap X everything has just come to a stop. It doesn't mean it won't happen later when there's a little more clarity, but it has actually just stopped. If the tariffs, the large tariffs had stayed on or come back on, then firms are trying to figure out how they're going to absorb some of that cost. And the minute they do that, they're looking at other ways to cut costs and labors obviously one way they do that. So it will wouldn't surprise me that you might start seeing more layoffs tick up in the unemployment rate going forward. If the big tariffs are particular, come back on the smaller tariff world of ten to twelve percent, most of the firms I talk to they figure out they can deal with it. They kind of often give me this kind of formula of our suppliers will eat a third of it, I will eat a third of it, and we'll pass a third of it on their consumers. So if you're talking about ten to twelve percent tariff. It's not a big price hint to the consumers if that's all they pass through.
Speaker 2: But economics tells us that the tariffs in general are not good. So even if we get the smaller tariffs, does that still leave business on the sidelines and growth prospects lower?
Speaker 3: Well, if it is a tax, and it's inevitable that there's a tax. But however, I've always tried to tell people that, you know, given the fiscal situation we're in, we need to get some better control of the budget deficit, and that means some combination of tax, taxes and spending. It's just an argum about what taxes do you want to have to raise. So nobody likes taxes. I don't like taxes. But if you're going to get any kind of fiscal situation, get our fiscal situation and color.
Speaker 1: You're going to have to have some tax revenue.
Speaker 3: And there's no obvious reason why tariffs should have be off the table.
Speaker 1: Per se.
Speaker 2: We have some tariffs in place, even though the President goes back and forth about other tariffs. But you put some one in March. When do we start to see that in the hard data.
Speaker 3: Well, by taking off the April second tariffs, you postpone that decision till July, so we'll see some of the ten percent tariffs and the auto tariffs. Some of that will start coming through particular sectors, but it's not likely to me that by the in July first you're going to see really big impacts from it. You will see it, like I said, in Capex and things like that have just been put off the side, So you probably see some softing in the data, but you're probably not likely to see anything dramatic happen before we get a better decision from the administrators what they're going to do with the big tariff package that they initially proposed on April second.
Speaker 2: Well, what will we see first a big rise in inflation or slow down in growth, perhaps epitomized by the unemployment rate.
Speaker 3: I think you could see both of them almost happen at the same time, just in the sense of like I said, that firms have to make it as decision right away.
Speaker 1: To pass through.
Speaker 3: Now they have a lot of firms told me they have price contracts, so they're protected for a little while until they have to renegotiate those price contracts, but they're all anticipating it, particularly the bigger tariffs. They're all anticipating they're going to have to cut costs somewhere. And the easiest thing to do when firms have sixty five to seventy percent of their cost is labor, to start shedding some labor. So you might see layoffs start to happen about the same time you start seeing prices going up. So I'm not so convinced that it's going to be one first and then the other. You can see them both happen roughly at the same time. We're very close close together.
Speaker 2: I assume that we're not going to see any move from the Fed on May seventh, But when would you have enough data you think to be able to make a decision one way or another on whether you need to move rates.
Speaker 3: Well, as I was saying, the President's put off any decision on the large tariff world that was proposed in April second un till July. So all you're going to see, probably tills you lie, is whatever the existing tariffs are in place. And as I said, I don't think you're going to see enough happen in the real data in the next couple of months until you get past July. When you get to the second half of the year, I think we'll start having better ideas what's going to happen with the tariff world that the administration is considering, And by then you'll start seeing more in the form of tariff price pass through and also stuff on the real side. But like, you're not going to see anything on the real side because of all the uncertainty in terms of freezing decisions spending decisions.
Speaker 2: Well, let's put some parameters around your thinking. On the employment mandate side, what level of unemployment would bother.
Speaker 3: You, Well, it's more the speed of which would start going up. I mean, if it just ticked up one tenth, ticked up one tenth, ticked up one tenth, kind of like what we saw last year, it would be concerning, but it wouldn't be a big problem. But if it starts going up two tenths, three tenths a month, then that's going to happen because you're seeing layoffs starting to take off. And if labor market's in kind of a good spot, it's not like twenty twenty two where you could reduce vacancy. Now, if labor demand pulled back, it's going to be in terms of bodies, so you'll see employees start to drop. So I'm more concerned about the speed at which the unemployment rate starts going off. And if there's a big reaction to big tariffs, it could go up very quickly.
Speaker 1: Four and a half percent? Is I guess the Psalm rule trigger?
Speaker 2: Would that be a trigger for you?
Speaker 3: You know, I gave a speecial last September I kind of discounted the same rule as a mechanical description of the data and what it really is capturing as shocks that hit the economy. A big tariff regime being put back on in July and being put in place for the foreseeable future, that would be that kind of a big shock. So it's not so much the Sam rule as the fact that the Sam rule is really always picking up some big shock to the economy, and the big tariff regime as it was on April second, would end up being a big shock to the economy.
Speaker 2: Well, on the inflation mandate side, since you expect some inflation from tariffs, is it the speed with which it rises as well? Because we've seen a lot of volatility and inflation numbers recently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's been the struggle for me for the last basically eighteen months, is that inflation progress to our two percent goal has been this kind of seesaw. You're making progress going down, but then you get a couple of bad months and it comes back down and it's just slower than I ever thought it would have been, saying December of twenty three.
Speaker 1: But the tariffs are at one time.
Speaker 3: I still strongly believe just the economic seales me that the tariffs are a one time price level effect that's going to pass through. Now it's one time level, doesn't mean it's small or big. It's just a one time So I still think even if it was fairly large, you would see a one time price level effect. The demand slow down would offset some of that, is consumers back off, employment goes down, unemployment rises, wealth continues to financial wealth declines. You will see demand effects from that that'll put downward pressure on inflation. So it may not be as high as people think, but the critical thing is it's going to be. It's going to be take some courage to stare down these tariff increases and prices with the belief that they are transitory I'm not going to lie that we all have twenty one in our minds when we think about how we go forward. But you know, the question is what are the things that will cause this inflation to persist through the initial tariff increases, And I just have a hard time seeing exactly what that would be.
Speaker 2: Well, do you think if we start to see the economy slow that you would be more reluctant to cut rates because you expect that tariffs and the higher inflation will come down because of the demand effect.
Speaker 3: See, I'm willing to look through whatever tariff price effects are, and I've said that so for me, then I'm not going to overreact to any increase in inflation that.
Speaker 1: I think is attributable to the tariffs.
Speaker 3: But if I see a significant drop in the labor market, then the employment side of the mandate I think is important and we step in and we would have to start.
Speaker 1: I said this last week in my speech.
Speaker 3: You know I would expect more rate cuts and sooner once I start seeing some serious deterioration in the labor market.
Speaker 2: Now, some people looked at your speech last week and said, Chris Waller's on the opposite side of all this from chair Powell. Do you think there's division on the Open Market Committee about what should be done?
Speaker 1: Well, that's the beauty of not having group thing.
Speaker 3: People have different views about how the economy is evolving and how policies should be done.
Speaker 1: I think that's actually a healthy thing.
Speaker 3: As far as I've heard exactly that comment that Waller's outside of consensus away from the chair, and I've had other people tell me I didn't really hear much different from what the Chair said two days later.
Speaker 1: So this is.
Speaker 3: Always a funny thing about communication. I can say something and people perceive it one way to the left, or they perceive it.
Speaker 1: The other way to the right.
Speaker 3: So how people receive what I say is not always, you know, one clear vision of what it is. So I'll leave it up to people to decide whether there's a difference between the Chair or I. But all I can do is say what my views are, and I'm trying to be very clear what they are.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are thinking at this point that Trump being Trump and marterial that the tariffs could change at any moment. Would you be reluctant to move rates not knowing that you've got any certainty about what's going to be happening.
Speaker 3: Well, like I said, what we're going to look at is the data. I mean, that's how we always.
Speaker 2: Determin Does that leave you behind the curve?
Speaker 1: You know, there's always at risk.
Speaker 3: You're saying, you're looking at these things like if this inflation are going to get worse? Is in unemployment going to get worse? And you have to it's a balancing act to make that decision. Hopefully you're not late. And I think if we saw That's why I said, if I saw enough movement in the unemployment rate to make me think that things were going bad, or or growth prospects started tanking, or consumer spending started really going down, then I'd be ready to go. I wouldn't be sitting here waiting to determine whether the inflation is transitory or not. It's time to worry about the real side of the economy.
Speaker 2: I can't let you go without asking about FED independence, because it's obviously the other elephant in the room these days. Will the president backing off of his comments on firing j poll make it a little bit easier for you all to.
Speaker 1: Do your job? Well, I just try to.
Speaker 3: I try to ignore all this stuff and just focus on the data and focus on doing my job. That's what I try to do every day. Criticism of what we do, that's the job. If you don't like being criticized, don't take the job. So, and the President's free to say whatever they want to probasey just like anybody else. But central bank independence, as we saw I think on Monday, is critical to the well functioning of the US economy.
Speaker 1: It has served us well.
Speaker 3: It allows us to do things in a non political way, and it's something I worked on in my academic life research wise for twenty years about the value of it. And I don't think there's ever been anything in the data that shows you that lack of independence is a good thing.
Speaker 2: Would ad hominem attacks like we've seen on a chair make it harder for the next chair to do the job? Does a job itself get harmed?
Speaker 3: I think it's up to the Like I said, it's up to the person that's in the chair. You know, you take the job knowing you're going to be criticized from markets, from fed watchers, from average consumers. That's part of the job. And if you don't like to be criticized, don't take the job. So It's really going to be a question of whoever the next chair is, are they going to come in and keep the tradition of central bank independence making policy in a non political way, And for me that's critical for whatever the next whoever the next chair
Speaker 2: Is, Chris Waller, thank you very much for your time this morning.