Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Ready for a break?
Speaker 6: Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 7: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com.
Speaker 5: We were on with Ambar Garcia.
Speaker 7: Brian brought us, Patrick Walker and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 2: Hello, guys, welcome to another episode of The Break. I am hosting today, but I have Brian and Patrick here with me. Derek is busy with important meetings. Uh, we'll see what comes out of that. But in the meantime, we'll hold like he did yesterday, we'll hold down the four with us here. I wanted to start off the show by talking about some of the roster moves that have happened, nothing creating big splashes of big news. But the Cowboys did release they cut tackle Alex Taylor Prilorillo and then linebacker Michael Jones on Monday, and then they did sign four players into the practice squad. So Patrick, I'll let you take a handle of those players who they are. If there's much to say there as far as like what they're adding to the team.
Speaker 4: Not a lot of digging in to these guys is available right now. But we have Eric Salbert tight end. He was signed to the practice squad, as was Adam Pankey a guard, Buddy Johnson linebacker, and Chris Glazer or Glacier a guard. So two offensive linemen joined the Cowboys practice squad for insurance purposes, which is just you know, smart to do. So Michael Jones is being replaced by Buddy Johnson and Brian and I were talking about this before we went hot. Interest in the length of time that Michael Jones was here, I mean as far as it being shortened. The Cowboys obviously got him in, didn't necessarily like what they saw from him in practices. He never got an elevation, and he was here for all of two three weeks, three calendar weeks if you're talking about two games and the bye week. So Michael Jones came in and never really had a shot. They did go out and get Rashaan Evans obviously signed him to the practice squad for a first round pick. No stranger to the big stage, you know, Alabama product. So yeah, Cowboys added a tight end, which also makes me wonder and I'll get some more information on this after the show. Talk to some folks where Peyton Hindershot is with that ankle injury. That makes me wonder where Peyton Hendershot is. And Brian's probably thinking the same thing as well, you're going to add a tight end is does that mean Hendershot is going to be out a longer period of time than maybe anticipated? So something to keep an eye on there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've had some struggles some of their point of attack blocking and and maybe Salbert is a guy he went to a tiny school. He went to Drake, you know, and nothing against Drake or tiny schools or anything like that, but he's one of those guys that's kind of bounced around the league. And so when you get a guy like that, it's you know, the development is he is he is? He a guy that's developing, you know. And there's some clips I've seen to him. I haven't done a full on report, but there's some people out there that have and you could kind of see some clips of him as a blocker. Seems like something that's a little bit of a strength of his. Uh, you know, he's he's one of those guys too, has career you know, in college you caught like one hundred and eighty three passes, so he's capable of doing those types of things. But to Patrick's point, you know, you wonder if you know, with the health of hindershot or you know, you need guys to practice, you need those bodies to practice and stuff. But they also might be looking at their situation with blocking it when you go back and as you study the all twenty two from the Chargers game, they tried really hard in that game to use their tight ends at the point of attack. They tried to use their tight ends on the back side of some polls to get to the point of attack bringing in you know, they pull a guard or pull a tackle, and they were getting compressed and they were getting beat and they were you know, it was a really rough game when it came to running the football. And you wonder if now it's like, do we need to go out and see if we can work out some guys to try and see if we can get some better blocking at the point of attack. And maybe Celbart is a guy that they kind of look at that well, let's give him a shot and let's see. I mean, you can it's hard to do during during these practices to see how a guy's gonna be. So it's gonna have to be Okay, what are the pro guys seen from him? Maybe there's some stops at along the way in the training camps where they can see that, well, this guy seems like a pretty good blocker. But that's saying a lot right now. They just they're just not as consistent as they need to be running the football, and somebody has to do with what's going on at the point of attack with their blocking.
Speaker 4: And with the linebacker. What's interesting about Buddy Johnson is this is a homecoming for him. He's only twenty four years old, but he's already a bit of an NFL journeyman. Only two tackles in his NFL NFL career, but he's Dallas born and bred, went to Kimball High School and Texas A and m pruct.
Speaker 5: So he's coming back home.
Speaker 4: So this is obviously someone that the scouting department has some information on, you know, from when he entered the NFL draft, so you know, insurance there because you needed at linebacker, and they're just ready to see what Buddy Johnson can do over what they saw or didn't see from Michael Joe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good point. You know, he was a guy that was if you look at he was a fourth round pick in in twenty twenty one, and he's, like Patrick said, he's made a lot of stops. The teams he's been with, Pittsburgh, San Francisco, Houston, teams that plays some pretty good defense and stuff. So somebody saw something in him as a player. At six one and a half, he's two hundred and forty pounds, so he's got the size that maybe that they're looking for right now when it comes to, you know, that point of attack again, thumper guy that can step up, play the run and deal with that a little bit more size because the issues that they're running into. We've talked about this a bunch. When they play those nickel packages and stuff and they bring those safeties down, it's, you know, it's guys like Bell and Wilson, those guys, they're tough guys, they're just not big, you know, and teams that they're gonna, you know, they're gonna say, okay, when you get in that nickel, we're gonna run the ball at those guys. So just getting some linebackers with some size and some thump and some point of attack played to him might be something that is on their mind right now.
Speaker 2: Well with Sober and Johnson, are you guys thinking based on what you guys are saying, is a real pussibility of them seeing the field at some point in the near future or is it more just specifically you just need bodies.
Speaker 4: I think I think right now to answer that question, you need bodies because if you look at and Brian makes an excellent point as far as Soburn and how he could maybe factor into the blomunication, but you're gonna need to get Schoolmaker more involved as well. Yeah, and then when you look at it from a linebacker perspective, you got to get Rashn Evans on the field. You got to get Malik Jefferson continued to ramp up with the mont Clark. But you also don't want to take away any unnecessary reps from a guy like Marquise Bell who is playing at a high level. So if your buddy Johnson, your mission is to get in here and not suffer the same fate that Michael Jones suffered.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's that's it right there, And you know, I applaud them. There's so many times where teams just sit there in the practice squad and they just it's the same guys. You know, you're looking at the same bodies every day and and you're thinking, well, this guy's not getting any better. I know it's hard to when they don't. They have some padded practices, but it's not like they're going out there and really just taking a run at each other. You can see the movement, you can see how they step up, you can see how they go through the drills. But I give the front office some credit for this one, because to me, it's you just kind of keep rotating that you don't know if you're going to hit a guy like that. You don't know if Buddy Johnson all of a sudden like in this scheme. You know, it didn't work in Pittsburgh, it didn't work in San Francisco, but maybe it works here. Maybe something clicks for him and then now you got a linebacker halfway through. But a lot of times these teams will just sit there with the same practice squad the whole year and not do anything, and you're not getting any better out of that. I'd still love for him to make a trade somehow someway. We've talked about that a bunch around here, but at least they're trying to churn that practice squad and maybe find a guy that can fit what they're trying to do offensively and defensively.
Speaker 2: Now, you never know where there is some hidden secret talent there, But okay, for now, let's put that aside, see what happens with that. As far as injuries, Cowboy's coming off the bye week, where are they currently with the whole injury.
Speaker 4: List, Well, they're in good standing right now, you know, IR. Notwithstanding obviously they lost Leyton Vanderush and CJ. Goodwin to IR prior to the bye week. But both of those players are, you know, working toward trying to return at some point this season. So there's some optimism there. But when you look at the laundry list of ailments that they were kind of dealing with going into the Los Angeles Charges game, it sounds as if most, if not all, of those are near one hundred percent. So Mike McCarthy said today that je Ya Tomas, for example, he suffered a hamstring injury that popped up ahead of that game.
Speaker 5: He was routed out of that game. He's going to be.
Speaker 4: A full participant today in practice on Wednesday, as will every other player on the active roster. And I know that botes very well for the Cowboys offensive line. When you talk about Tyler biadis nursing an ankle, Tyron Smith with his knee, Zach Martin with a thigh. If all three of those guys are also full participants, that's just magnificent news because this is going to be game three of that combination being together, and that we keep talking about, the more reps they get together, the more to pay dividends for them. So, yeah, expect the Cowboys to trend upwards as far as health. So the bye week, although it was a week earlier than it normally is, it couldn't have been at a better time for the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now we throw around the word hope that Ryan likes to throw around here. So there's one thing what we hope for, and there's another thing, like, realistically speaking, what are some of the main or biggest changing changes sorry that you guys are expecting the Cowboys to make or have made during the bye week heading into this weekend. And we'll get into the rams offense on the second segment. But for right now, realistically speaking, what are some of those changes?
Speaker 3: What are you thinking, Ryan, Well, you know, to me, it's they've got to figure out some things in the running game. And you couldn't practice all week because of collective bargaining and players have to have the entire week off, so there's really nothing you could do. It was all really scheme related. But they've got to figure out a way to be more effective running the football, and they have to figure out a way to get Tony Pollard. They're getting him involved, but they're not getting him or creating any space. I mentioned the tight end blocking. They've tried to do it a couple of different ways with the zone schemes. They're just not very clean at the point of attack with the combo blocks, getting second level linebackers. They played some good linebackers this year that have been able to run. But they've got to figure out in this off week, is there a better way to run the ball against the chargers. It was more about trying to pull guys, and we've talked to pin and pulls a word we use down blocks guys coming around. They just really weren't very effective at all? I mean, how are you not getting movement? Two of the best that we've seen in the past have been what Zach Martin playing on one leg right now but hopefully better and him and Steel they've been able to get that right side, get that thing secure where they do get some push and then the tight end is able to get a little shield block and then they can run the ball. But they haven't really had enough space. To me, I'd like to see if during that bye week, when the coaches had an opportunity to sit down and self scout, are we doing everything we need to run the ball effectively. They're going to have to be able to do it in the second half much better than what they've shown here in the first half of the season. And that's something that I think might be might look a little different, like, Okay, is it the way we're running it, is it the sets? Is it the motions? We need to do it better out eleven personnel, then we bring tight ends in. Does that make us compressed? I think these are all things they had to kick around during the during the bye week to try and figure out where where.
Speaker 4: They are, and I think what bodes will in that capacity is as announced today by Mike McCarthy, Jeff Blasco is back at practice. He had a personal leave of absence due to some health issues. He missed several games and over the first six, but he returned during the bye week. He will be back in practice this week and I'm interested with his return. And for those that don't know, Jeff Blasco is both the run game coordinator and the running backs coach. So it goes right to the heart of Brian's point as far as being interested to see what this Cowboys run attack, rushing attack looks like going into week eight and going forward, particularly with Blascow now back on the field as opposed to his duties with coordinating the run game being kind of split between other assistants and position coaches. But for me, it goes back to I still want to see the deep middle part of the field exploited. I want to see those shots being taken a little bit of optimism, and you go back and look at the Chargers game. They took one or two shots there and it paid off for them. So for me, it's bringing that pendulum back to center and not being fearful of attacking the middle of the field. Make the opposing defense cover three thirds of the field as opposed to just the boundaries, because that's going to stretch those safeties and that's going to open up plays down the field. More explosiveness. We want to see explosiveness. We want to see those vertical routes, those nine routes on the outside. Well, it's going to be harder if safety is in. Opposing defensive coordinators know they don't have to worry about the middle chunk of the field. So exploit that. Take those shots. And yes, sometimes it's not going to work out for you. Sometimes that's going to be an interception. But I'm on record as saying is I would rather as long as it doesn't cost the Cowboys games. I would rather the Dak Prescott that throws, you know, for thirty five touchdowns but has twelve interceptions and the Cowboys are twelve and five, thirteen and four versus the Dak Prescott that throws you know, twenty four touchdowns to eight interceptions, but you're nine and you know eight and you're in a wild card situation.
Speaker 2: So yeah, for many games, you can care less about an interceptions.
Speaker 4: Right, That's what I'm saying. And that's been proving time and time again. It's been improven around the league. Ite Jalen Hurts is being excused for, you know, almost leading the league and turnovers interceptions right now. It's because the Eagles are winning games. So if you win games, the rest becomes forgivable. Winning cures everything, as the saying go, So take those shots deep middle and really put pressure on the opposing defense.
Speaker 3: On the defensive side of the ball. I think you have to look at we now have a game without Layton Vanderish playing as a linebacker. So now teams will have a look at Damon Clark and Bell and other guys like that. And so I think in the office and the bye week there, dan Quinn now has they did?
Speaker 2: They did okayly don't know how much that's going to hold.
Speaker 3: Up exactly well. The big question, Yeah, the big question was Clark had played really well against New England and the other games he hadn't played is to the level that I know that I thought I've seen him play at such a high level at LSU, and I just kind of expect it. I know he's coming off the back and all that. The fact that he even played last year's just beyond me. But you know, I mean, he did a great job with that. But the thing about it is now with him being the primary linebacker and then others having to fill in, I think that's something that it's all on tape now with what the Chargers game was. Will Sean McVay and the Rams, how will they attack this script? So it's gonna be up to Dan Quinn to kind of figure out what's the next move. Am I gonna be able just to sit in there with Bell and these others just you know, playing that tech, Bell and Clark and those guys playing technique or do I have to be a little bit more creative and keep them from maybe getting exposed until vander esh gets back.
Speaker 4: Wonderful point and what will work in the Cowboys favor is that while the Rams and other teams they've now seen what the linebacker coy looks like without Leyton Vanderisch, they can try to map around that. They haven't seen what the Cowboys linebacker coy looks like with Rashawn Evans in it. Right, So there is a chance that Rashawn Evans makes his debut for the Cowboys against the Rams. Of course, that is contingent upon how practice goes this week, But that could be a variable that works in favor for the Cowboys, is that teams just don't know what Rashaun Evans looks like with a with dan Quinn cootinating them.
Speaker 3: They thought they thought something. It was really it was. It was kind of strange to me. They thought something that they could get a scheme package with that Tyros Wheat playing, you know, and I and I didn't in his his his first game was was rough, But I didn't, you know. It's that's what coaches do. They come up with, Well, we think we could take advantage of this, we could use this guy, use that guy. So I wonder if there's some other move that they're thinking about, because, like I said, I didn't really understand while Wheat they bring him up here, we go sign him, let's go. It's and now he's part of the plan early in that football game, and you're like going, was that really what they wanted or envisioned for that? So coaches are always coming up with ideas and Dan will be no different this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all right, let's go ahead and take our first break when we come back. We're gonna go ahead and get into the Rams. The breakdown of the Rams offense against this Cowboys defense.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 6: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 1: Cowboys fans, after that move, we've just coined the term rowdy replay.
Speaker 3: Let's roll back the table.
Speaker 4: Okay, there's our mascot Rowdy cheering on the boys. And now he's on his phone on his Bank of America mobile banking app.
Speaker 1: Staying on top of his finances with his virtual financial assistant Erica.
Speaker 4: Bank of America's digital tools are so impressive. Cowboys fans just Can't Stop Banking. Learn more at Bank of America dot Com. Slash Can't Stop Banking.
Speaker 1: Erika is only available in the English language. Must download the latest version of the mobile banking app. Only available on select mobile devices. Message dat rates may apply a number FDIC.
Speaker 9: Welcome back into Dear, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would.
Speaker 1: You, dear doctor?
Speaker 8: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 9: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier?
Speaker 8: To cry out?
Speaker 9: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 9: Just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 7: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, Gator utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the Break. Make a statement this football season with the new Nike volt collection, a bold collection of Neon accents that will make you stand out like a star that you are. Head to the pro Shop near you or log onto Shop dot Dallas Cowboys dot com a fanatics experience.
Speaker 2: Welcome back. This is the second segment off the Break presented by blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 5: Dang nice.
Speaker 2: So we did find out some exciting news this morning about DeMarcus Ware and his induction to the Ring of Honor which will be held this weekend. Uh Patrick tell us the details of that well.
Speaker 4: De Marcus Ware immortalized this past August in the Pro Football Hall of Fame joins you know greats like Jerry Jones and Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman in the long list of Dallas Cowboys. They should just build another building up there and can't afford for Dallas Cowboys. But where is also being inducted, as you said, into the cowboys coveted Ring of Honor. That will that ceremony will occur this Sunday at halftime when the Cowboys take on the Rams. So big news for the Werewolf. The second part of his immortalization will will happen this weekend.
Speaker 2: It's fun there too, funk to always see those events happen at the stadium during the game. Uh, it's always fun stuff and exciting times for him. So super cool.
Speaker 4: Make sure you go out and win for where don't don't don't lose on where's the day?
Speaker 5: But yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go ahead and start breaking down this offense, Brian. We're gonna go through blocks and we're gonna start off with the quarterback. And what do they got right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Matthew Stafford is there their guy. And you know, Matthew has dealt with some injuries last year where really it was a problem for him. They didn't protect him very well. He took a lot of shots during the game. I mean shots, his hits, not actual physical shots with syringes or anything like that. But he he dealt with concussion. Yeah, he dealt well. When you say shots you can talk about fireball too. Is another thing you could have done, and Matthew probably would. But you know, with concussions he dealt with He had the spinal cord contusion last year. That that that's the one thing that knocked him out. It happened to him in Week fourteen. So so far, so good for him. He's only really dealt with one thing in Week four He's he had a hip injury that kind of slowed him down a little bit against the Colts, but he came back in the game and was able to win the game. He wasn't moving around too well, but he was able to finish the game and grab that victory. So, you know, good for him. He's he's always been a super tough guy. When you watch him play, he's got a resilient ability to just kind of keep fighting throughout a game. He moves well enough in the pocket, but he's not one of these many these quarterbacks it's going to run away from you. He'll hold the ball until the very last possible second before letting it fly. You can watch him, he's like a baseball pitcher. His his his platform is usually like he'll throw it sie arm to get it around a guy, he'll loop it over the top. He's got touch, He's not afraid to throw the ball. He's one of those guys though that's always been a good tight window thrower. But if you look at the metrics they talk about, he hasn't made as many tight window throws this year, so he's kind of choosing more of the guys that have some separation or that are completely wide open. But he's not afraid because he has the arm talent still to get the ball anywhere he wants to put that football. The primary routes that he throws are the in cutting routes. We worried about that a little bit with with what's going on with Gilmore where we see those routes where they'll make Gilmour chase. That's something that the Rams like to do. They'll get the receivers and then they they'll run him on these end routes. They like to try and trail each other. So all of a sudden, you got a guy that they'll they'll run guys. They'll delay a guy behind another guy, run the route, and then run another route behind Matt to try and give you a little bit more of confused us, right, there, so Stafford, but it's going to be to get those routes off, you got to have protection, and that's kind of been a little bit of a problem for them. The metrics will tell you that teams will play more zone coverage against him than they will man. It's about a seven to thirty split against him, and then he gets blitzed about thirty percent of the time. His pressure rate is about forty one percent, so you can kind of see nearly half the time he's throwing the ball with somebody in his face. Primarily he operates out of what we call eleven personnel that's one running back, three wide receivers. This is ninety three percent of the time. So the Cowboys are going to be in nickel. Really the entire time in this game is with the Rams being on the field.
Speaker 2: So how well can he keep his composure? The mental toughness because you say, with the injury history and all that and him maybe not running as much or riding around too. Well, if you get a bunch of pressure and then you say he throws the ball away, how mental? How much mental toughness?
Speaker 3: No, it's the word I used, and it's terrible English, but I wrote in terrible English all the time, and Dave Hellman always corrected it for me. I said, super impressive toughness, super being like, there's quarterbacks in this league that are tough. I think Matthew Stafford is on a whole other level. If you look throughout his career at Detroit, he took a beating in Detroit, they trade him to the Rams, he wins a super Bowl there, and then the team kind of falls apart around him. The offensive line. We'll get into that. There's this is a big problem for them. But he's always been able to maintain that toughness. You see him get hit time after time after time, and then he's back still throwing the football side arm under whatever he has to do. That doesn't waver with the way you watch him play at all.
Speaker 4: And when it comes to Matthew Stafford, and of course I've been watching him since since his college days Georgia because that right, so yeah, go don't so to Brian's point, I mean, when it comes to mental toughness and physical toughness, Matthew Stafford has those in spades, But objectively speaking, he's also boom or bust when it comes to his style of play, he's either going to light you up for four or five touchdowns or he's gonna throw four or five interceptions of that game trying his best to light you up for four or five touchdowns.
Speaker 5: So the opportunities for.
Speaker 4: Takeaways will be there as long as you get the pressure on Matthew Stafford, and the Cowboys have the highest pressure rate in the NFL. I would love for this to be the game where more of those pressures get home. But the pressures are disruptive, nonetheless, So if you can get in Matthew Stafford's space, I mean, he's mentally tough. He's going to stand there and he's gonna make that throw. But the throw isn't always going to be the smart throw. So if you can get him early on to make a mistake, then that'll get him kind of rolling in the wrong direction. But if he gets on kind of a hot streak early, you might be in for kind of a long day there.
Speaker 5: Well, especially with guys like Pooking a cool Yeah.
Speaker 2: We'll get into that later, but right now, what I'm visualizing, it looks more positive for the Cowboys and their defensive line and the pressure. So let's get into those guys are are around him, protecting him and creating that pocket for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think when you look at the when you look at the the rams and the offensive line, it's it's really short on household names. You know, most teams you play, there's two or three guys or two guys you kind of know that, Okay, this is an all Pro guy, Pro Bowl guy. Oh this is a good ascending guy. Uh. The really the only bright spot I see right here is Steve Avula and he's you know when you look at you know he's a rookie from TCU. He's uh, he's from Arlington here, which is kind of cool for him to be able to come home and play. Uh. In college at TCU, uh, Avula played every offensive line position. They've got him playing guard here. He's not the best athlete, but this power makes up for these shortcomings that he might have. If you try and rush him down the middle, he is going to be a hard guy to move. You just can't run through this guy. He's got a great base. He's physical, he's strong, He's really sturdy if you just try and run over the top. Where he does have troubles is with movement, and you know there were some teams that gave him some problems in these games that I watch, he's a rookie. I think this is where maybe that OsO Odiggy's Wall can take a little bit of an advantage of him because the harder, the more quickness that he deals with you see him, it kind of affects the way that he sets and the way that he moves. You could take him one way, taking back the other and then get on his shoulder and go. But if you're going to rush him down the middle, you're going to lose all day. He's just going to sit down. And but he's a good, good young lineman for them. He's getting better every game that I watched where there really what they struggle is al Rick Jackson and Rob Havnstein. Are you know these these guys are the tackles and I think you could take advantage of them because the Steelers, if you watch the Steelers, and I kind of can look at the Steelers the same way with the Cowboys with their ability to play on the edge and have these pressure players, and these two tackles really struggled with movement, and I mean movement of not just running, but it was like it was it was like you know that quick just that initial shoulder, that shoulder shake or that you know press and then go back the other way. These guys just don't move very well when it comes to dealing with initial bursts from from those edge rushers. So you could kind of get them off on the wrong foot and that and that kills their balance and then you work around them or you work inside. I just think this is one of those games where you need to pressure both of them throughout. Don't give them any easy rushes. Make sure you're on the movement. You're trying to get them off balance because they will they'll struggle with that. The Steelers did a great job of just every attacking rush was a movement and it got them off balance and then they were able to get to Stafford there. So they will do a much you know, they're a group that will struggle. Like I mentioned in that, their center I want to talk about is Coleman's Shelton, And what's unusual about him is he's really good at helping his teammates, his linemates. When he's uncovered. I'd cover him, I'd cover him, I'd make sure somebody's on him because He's not gonna win a lot of battles one on one, but he's much better at helping when he can kind of see like, oh, hey, my garden needs help here, or you know, or I got to kind of keep an eye on the rusher over here. He's good at doing that and having that kind of awareness. But when he has the one on one assignment, it's a little bit of a problem for him. It's unusual for him as he's one of these rare centers that snaps the ball left handed too, so it's a little bit different look when you look down the line. You're used to seeing those right handed centers. He's a left handed center, so it just kind of be a little bit different for your eye when you're looking inside and trying to get off on the ball there.
Speaker 2: So, is this a situation where you guys feel that the Cowboys d line can start getting more pressures and stacking up those sacks, getting back into actually getting a sack.
Speaker 4: I think this is a good This is a good matchup for the Cowboys defensive line. The talent that they have going across the board. When you look at how it matches up against the talent on the cow sorry, on the Rams offensive line, I mean advantage Cowboys in a big way. I think this is a game where they can get pressures, particularly in the interior.
Speaker 5: Like you said, this keep an eye on Osa.
Speaker 4: I think Osa recks this game, which then opens the door for guys like Mike and DeMarcus Lawrence. And I mean you might even see Jonathan Hankins get back there a few times. Sure, the question has been, like you said, will they start getting home more often than not? Well, you're going against one of the few matchups in which the quarterback is not more doesn't have a ton of escapability in Matthew Stafford. So if ever, there was a game that was kind of set for you to kind of tee off on the quarterback like this is it. You're not going to have to contend with Joshua Dobbs' legs or Daniel Jones's legs or any of that nature. It's Matthew Stafford. He's a pocket guy. He's not one that likes to leak out of the back back end of the protection. And you know, rattle off first down, he's going to be back there. The Cowboys are going to get back there. Matter is after that put your hands on.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take our final break. When we come back, we'll start talking about some of those offensive weapons that they do have. Yeah, AD wide receiver.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 3: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable.
Speaker 8: And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 6: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com Slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 10: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think.
Speaker 3: There's no appointment needed and no waiting room. Yep, you hurt that correctly.
Speaker 10: Take five is so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's fast friendly and simple service at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 3: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 7: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and Sports Turf Equipment United Agon Turf, the official agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 3: Back to the break, all right, what we got here? Rally Days presented by seat Geek, give NFL fans and experience of a lifetime the day prior to the Dallas Cowboys home games on October twenty eighth. Enjoy activities at Miller Lighthouse, get a behind the scenes tour of at and T Stadium, and more. Visit a stadium dot com slash Rally Days for more information and to get your tickets to day.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Brian, Welcome back to the third segment. So far, so good. I like this report, Brian, so don't don't change it up. Now that'll change don't. I'll start going the other way now that we're about to get into wife receivers and they got going on.
Speaker 3: I think this is really the strength of their offense when you look at uh, they've done it. They've gotten Cooper Cup back. We all kind of understand Cooper Cup and what he's done. He's been dealing with a hamstring injury. But now he's back, he's played in a couple of games. It's for them, it's really good to have him back in the mix. What makes him so difficult to deal with is he lines up all over the place. He'll split time between the slot and the outside. Why it's almost fifty to fifty where they line him up. I mean, they just don't say, Okay, we're gonna just put you in the slot, or we're gonna just go put you outside. I mean it's really legitimly split fifty to fifty where they're gonna try and put him. The majority of his targets have come from the slot, and the majority of his receptions, is funny, have come from the outside. So they throw the ball to him inside, but they have more receptions with him on the outside. So just you know, that's kind of a little something crazy to kind of keep in mind there though. His separation is interesting too. He gets less separation from the slot than he does on the outside, which is, you know, you usually think like in the slot, you have this, you know, you have the ability to use the whole field. You have what they call two way go where you can just kind of go anywhere you want on the outside. You kind of have a prescribed route that you run exactly. It's it's a weird thing, but he's really good at catching the football. He makes super tough catches. He's tough, he'll take a hit. He's one of those guys that likes to come across the middle. You give him the ball and then he's going to make big plays. It's very similar to what you kind of saw on the receivers from San Francisco that shallow cross. Hit him with the pass, let him go up the field, or you know, kind of run him a little bit deeper, intermediate across the field throwing the ball, let him run. He's one of those, you know, he's a very very talented receiver in that way. We talked about Puka Dakua and this has been this guy has been a steal for the Rams through the first seven games of the season. He really burst on the scene because he was filling in for Cooper Cup and you know, but they use him like Cooper Cup and so now it's it's more of a the with cut back. He's kind of gone to a more of an outside role. But man, when every time Stafford throws in the ball, it just doesn't matter where it is, he's gonna catch it. He's just that's that's the way he plays. And I just was super impressed with, you know, with him and his ability to come in and the nuances of the game and running routes and all that. You know, it's been really impressive. You've got to be aware of both these guys are very similar or how they play. They play inside, they play outside, They drag routes, they go up the field, they turn around, you throw them the ball, they run. Uh. It's really really it's been impressive. He I think that he has more quickness than what you have from Cooper Cup And you know that's something that you're going to have to deal with right there because he has the ability to create that separation. But the third guy I want to point out two is to two out Well And like his teammates, the majority they have some great names, great names. To two out Well is a majority of his work is done on the outside because you've got these other two guys that really work on the on the inside. Where he presents a problem is they bring him into the formation, they'll like he's the guy they're always going to put on the move so like the guys will be stationary and then they'll bring out well in motion. They'll make it a trip's formation, scatter, they'll move him across, they'll bring him by himself, but they're always He's the one guy that's constantly moving. So if in zone coverage, you got to be aware of him starting on one spot and then ending up where you're at, or if you're a man, you've got to be ready to travel across with him and deal with that or bump out whatever you have to do. But he's the guy that's on the move. He makes a lot of big plays in the middle of the field. You know, there's there's times where Stafford is wearing defensive linemen and he just fires the ball in the middle of the field out well, it goes down low, catches the ball right off the top of the turf. And so he's one of those guys that you know, like I say, you got to be aware of him moving around and with because of the motions to just kind of create issues. And then also with Kupp and Nakua, two very similar guys to to how they play, so they've got a pretty solid receiving corps with those with those three guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how do you see the Cowboys defending this? How do you see these matchup and how they're lying.
Speaker 5: I mean, the good news for the Cowboys is they have the horses.
Speaker 4: I mean, even without travel Diggs, you still have a very, very physical and sticky defensive back in both Deron Bland and Jordan Lewis. As long as you can try to limit the number of times that you see Gilmore getting kind of trailed or dragged across on slants, which is how the offices are starting to take advantage of Gilmore. If you can keep Gilmore playing straight up with his guy, then that's a matchup that you win. And Deron Bland and Jordan Lewis they have the physicality to disrupt at the line of scrimmage. So, but I mean, no other way to put it other than how Brian put it. You're gonna have your hands full with Cooper Cup and Pooka Nakula and and to to at well. I mean, that's a lot of quickness, that's a lot of speed, and that's a lot of catch radius. But also keep an eye on a guy like Tyler Higbee. Yeah, yeah, Yeah, that's the that's going to be the pressure release valve for Matthew Stafford. So if you're covering well on those receivers, and you better make sure if you're jay Ron Curse, if you're those linebackers, if you're a those safeties, keep an eye on Tyler Higby. He doesn't have any touchdowns yet this season, but that doesn't mean that can't change at the blink of an eye. So, yeah, they got some weapons around Matthew Stafford, but as it goes, if you want to neutralize the weapons, you take out the quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, with Hickby, what are some of his strength and his ability.
Speaker 3: He is a much better receiver than he is a blocker. And what they do, unfortunately for him, is they put him in a lot of car crashes, is what they do. They'll bring him in motion and they'll let him block at the point of attack, and he's just not equipped to do that. He'll try, but man, he gets worred down. You blocking on the back side in the running game, blocking front side in the running game. There's a lot of things they ask him to do that he's just not very It's not his strength at all. His strength is getting up the field and then playing in the slot he kind of plays. There's a lot of run routes that he runs where he's near the line of scrimmage or on next to the tackle what we call in line right next to the tackle, But a lot of his work also is done detached in the slot where he could kind of work a little bit in space. So it just depends on when they get in there. When they get in their eleven personnel, he is always going to be the tied end and eleven personnel. So it's those three wide receivers and then and then Higbee. Some teams treat Higbee like he's like he's a wide receiver, like you put a guy. When you put a guy like a linebacker or safety that's not really comfortable in coverage. He has success. But if you kind of treat him with a with a with a corner or somebody that can run with him, it makes it a little bit more difficult for them. So I'm i'm I'm gonna be keeping an eye on how do you match the other those wide receivers that we talked about. The quarterback, Well, that's the advantage you have right there. Your pass rush. Your pass rush is an advantage over this offensive line and can you get to Stafford before the ball comes flying out of there. That's that's where that's where this recipe. That's it.
Speaker 2: Well, let's go ahead, and since we're running out of time, jump into the running game and how well they run the ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've struggled a little bit becau because Royce Freeman and Darryl Henderson are now the primary backs. Karen Karrien Williams is an ankle injury and he's been out. He's on IR But they did a really good job. Freeman and Henderson ran the ball for over one hundred and twenty yards last week against the Steelers. So it's gonna be it's gonna be shotgun hand off like from the sidecar, you know, handed inside, or it's gonna be the pistol straight behind and just turn and hand it when they go under center. It's usually like when they get they get like the Cowboys run the same thing. You just Dak takes a snap, turns and hands the ball to Poller and they just attack the middle of the line. There's a couple of different ways, but it's gonna be like that out that It's gonna be zone block. It's gonna be outside and just kind of let the back. Freeman is a really big guy stewarding thirty eight pounds, so he's kind of a guy that's not really quick. He's just downhill and tries to be physical with you. Henderson on their side, smaller, quicker.
Speaker 2: Does he usually get extra yards after.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the contact and stuff like that. I was surprised at how well they ran the ball against the Steelers. That was like, whoa, you know that. That was kind of like you don't always expect to, you know, teams and you think about the Steelers and run defense, it's usually, you know, pretty solid right there, but they got hit for about one hundred and buck twenty in this game. Freeman had sixty, Henderson had sixty. So that was that was pretty eye opening for me. The thing that I like about Henderson is that he is smaller, he's quicker, and he's more decisive where he's going to go with the football. So you know, you got to be ready. One guy is just going to try and run over you, and one guy is going to be a little bit more shifty in the way that he plays with Just.
Speaker 2: A close off today's show is this, Since we talked about linebacker at the beginning of the show. Is this a game where possibly now we do see the linebackers struggle more than what we saw the last game.
Speaker 4: I don't see why this would be a game where they'd be expected the struggle any more than a matchup like against Austin Eckler. For you, yeah, I think the corners are the corners, and I mean that you have because of the capability and the ability of the corners and the defensive backs, you don't necessarily need linebacker help there, Okay, so you get to allow your linebackers to more so focus on run support and a guy like Williams who can catch the ball out of the backfield as well as Eckler can do. So the confidence there is you've now seen them shut down guys like Bryce Hall, Dalvin Cook, Austin Eckler. That gives you confidence that the linebacker core can do that, hopefully against a guy like Williams as well. And outside of last week, a rushing attack from the Rams that is not their strength, that's not their bread and butter, and that's what they've been struggling at. So it's a Cowboys run defense that one or two games notwithstanding, has looked very good even in the absence of late Vanderush last week. Versus a rushing attack from the Rams. That a is not their primary goal. That's not the bread and butter, and when they go to it, it typically more often than not hasn't gone well. So I think the linebackers are in a good matchup.
Speaker 3: On I think the Charge had a better offensive line than with the Ram. So if you if you can take advantage, if you can stop Austin Eckler the way that they did and play play run defense to the level you played against the Chargers, you should not have a problem against these Rams.
Speaker 5: And then your pasts rush needs to just get home, all right?
Speaker 2: That is it for today.
Speaker 3: I have got better receivers.
Speaker 5: Get home.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, If you this rup the past and get to the quarterback, then you should be good and hopefully some interceptions come from that and get their hands on the ball again and maybe scoring points too.
Speaker 5: Who knows, that'd be fun.
Speaker 2: That'd be fun. Remember week one? Shall that was fun?
Speaker 5: Shall we?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Thank you guys so much, and thank you for everyone who listened. This has been it for Brian Bradus, Patrick Walker. Remember Garcia. This has been the break on dallascowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys at four o'clock.
Speaker 2: How you Job here?