Speaker 1: The Around the NFL podcast Knows You're Gonna Like It in My City from the.
Speaker 2: Chris Westling podcast Studio. It's Around the NFL. I am Dan Hansens and I'm joined by my long friend and hero Mark Sessler.
Speaker 1: What's up? Mark? Oh? Wait, here comes somebody else.
Speaker 3: Just in the next time arrives Kawnie Foxy.
Speaker 4: I've been here the whole time.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about? Oh?
Speaker 5: You know, like that is my motto just in time? Like I feel like maybe that is the tattoo I get laptop free today.
Speaker 4: No, that's just a total on the second.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so Colleen you should know that. I know you have a lot of stress about being late to things. I said to the production team, let's start as quickly as possible, so she has to come to the show in the middle of it.
Speaker 5: I usually give myself a danzas right, so that's fair.
Speaker 1: I'm like, big mistake.
Speaker 4: Today, it's like eleven o three. It'll be fine.
Speaker 5: Should I text them that I saw you guys through the glass, because yes, we are in a fish bowl and I thought you guys were just like chilling.
Speaker 4: I would have really sprinted had I known.
Speaker 3: Right, No, we were working very hard. We were not chilling on any level.
Speaker 6: As soon as we saw you because we're trying to get things going. Then it was emergency mode to Eric behind the glass. Started, started, started, but it didn't quite mark at the effect because I don't see the pure panic. But you know what, maybe it's the June twenty seventh summer of Connie.
Speaker 1: It is. She can't be flum mixed.
Speaker 4: I think full right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, our our goal was to look like we had gotten a solid or get a solid ten or twelve minutes in where you know, we're into our third story in the news run down, and then I think that would set off some colleen based panic.
Speaker 4: But you know I was panicking a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you rushed by us, by the way. It was like a sprint across the window.
Speaker 6: Here just in time, baby, All right, how is everybody so?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 1: Days off?
Speaker 6: Nice week, and I'm back from Texas. We're here in as I said at the top of Chris Wesley podcast studio, Greg in mother Japan.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it is his mother.
Speaker 1: Taking the week off Japan.
Speaker 4: Is his mom his.
Speaker 1: Mother in law?
Speaker 3: Well there's that too, but I'm saying the actual geographical place could be Greg's homeland in a way based on the family that he is united with.
Speaker 4: Sure, guys, when are we going to Japan and doing sh GC?
Speaker 1: We are going to go do a show in Japan in twenty thirty seven.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm in no budgetary concerns for that. By the way, my voice is a disaster today and this is an audio show, so that's a problem.
Speaker 6: Well, I do you know, you do a little do a little true crime level deduction, you know, a little red string on the board.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 6: And we had a few days off and Mark's out in the wilderness, comes back like a guy who has been out and enjoying his life for a few days.
Speaker 3: It's really hot in here, guys.
Speaker 5: I've been doing a tarantinothon too, which I feel like you guys would be super into. Really, I've watched I've made it through the first six. Now, I had never seen Death Proof before. That was the last one I watched.
Speaker 1: Not my favorite of his, but it's not his favorite either.
Speaker 5: But also even his bad movies are good. Like it was campy and trashy, but like that's the whole point of it. And Kurt Russell was incredible.
Speaker 3: Is he is excellent, that you have to compile a list and like he's gonna have his seventh or eighth that I like best from him. But it's still like twenty five times better than ninety six percent of what is released in cinema right now.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure how much we could say, Mark, because there's you know, we'd be kicking around some things for a while on this topic.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was alerted of it yesterday in the middle of my Tarantino thon.
Speaker 1: So that there was an active text change with a certain husband.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I had been simultaneously texting with SHK about Tarantino at the same time, were texting, well, we have some waring texting change in.
Speaker 6: The works, the works worring texting change. That's one way to spend it.
Speaker 4: Or we can all work together.
Speaker 6: On this program around the NFL as we rapidly approach our eleventh season together.
Speaker 1: And yes, it's a quiet time.
Speaker 6: I think, Mark, this has to be I think the one year anniversary, if not exactly to the week of caveon Thibodeau coming into an otherwise empty building here in Englewood and just burning the place down with his apathy for us. I miss that I want to bring that energy back one day. But there is a vibe. Considering this is the headquarters of NFL on the West Coast and NFL Network and NFL Media, it does feel like a little bit of summer school. Like you know, we came in today and it's pretty quiet around here.
Speaker 3: Very quiet. The hallways are sparse and empty, which I that suggests people are out and about having fun in other parts of the country. But it is a massively hulking corporate complex and there's about fourteen people here working hard though big man, some of us.
Speaker 6: Isn't it interesting though? Despite how quiet it is outside this studio. What a big show we have today because always one of my favorite things to write on the website and then talk about it with my buddies here the Superstar Club twenty twenty three, and Colleen had to get Connie on the show to hear her thoughts on the Superstar Club.
Speaker 1: Greg likes this one.
Speaker 6: He likes to talk about certain there's a certain figure that's gonna be in the conversation and I kind of wish I had Greg's input or pushback on but I'll have to alert him next week. A lot of players, big time stars or high profile players, but are they actual superstars? Who are the true superstars? What even is a superstar? We're gonna get it into all that. That's juicy.
Speaker 5: I can't wait to get in the weeds on it.
Speaker 1: But first a little bit of news. Tish go with three tight ends, Hannah shotgun. They roll up to the right side. Mahomes pump faking now far as it late for the ends of talk.
Speaker 7: Touchdown Jansas City, Travis Kelsey from Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs league twelve to three, and now Mahomes to Kelsey in the postseason for the thirteenth time.
Speaker 8: Thirteen times and that was a huge score, huge score in the AFC Championship game in January, the Chiefs taking out the defending conference champion at the time, Bengals.
Speaker 6: And you know what, let's just have fun with it. We could, we could do the thing. We're like, oh, you know, it's such a slow time year. And while you've been talking with let's just have fun. I talk about football players doing podcasts and talking trash to each other.
Speaker 1: So here we are.
Speaker 6: Jamar Chase was asked about a statement made by his own teammate, the Patrick Mahomes the reigning Super Bowl MVP. League MVP, is the best quarterback in the league. Jamar Chase says perhaps ingestat oh didn't sit well with Travis Kelce on his New Heights podcast with his brother Jason.
Speaker 1: Let's listen it. I thought it was a little bold.
Speaker 9: You know, so the guy's a two time League MVP, two time Super Bowl MVP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to say, Pat, who is like dispect it is what it is.
Speaker 9: Dog who doesn't love some good locker room banter man shout out to Jamar Chase for you know, holding it down for his QB. But don't you ever dispect Pat Mahomes. Now if you want to talk, yo, talkyo, just back it up.
Speaker 1: I think we have a new drop so good. Uh yeah, I yes. I I set this up by saying we're not gonna talk this down, so we're gonna take it very seriously. Mark Sessler, whoa this rivalry has now got real heated. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean I think it's like, if you're gonna take aim at literally any athlete on the planet right now, Patrick Mahomes feels like a weird target where you're not gonna win that argument with literally anyone, especially his star tight end slash teammate.
Speaker 4: I liked Mahomes's tweet that's who with the two rings?
Speaker 1: I mean, very good. Yeah, that's the way to do it. That's it.
Speaker 6: Speaking of rings, can we just the chiefs two weeks ago had their ceremony. The teams always have the ceremony. The rings got six hundred and thirteen diamonds. I mean, what what what are we gonna do in like twenty years? Is it just gonna cover up the entire right side of someone's Torso these rings, there's gotta be yeah, limit.
Speaker 4: What are the taxes on that too?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Aren't they paying taxes on this?
Speaker 1: You always wear?
Speaker 3: There's like two decades from now where they encounter some sort of personal trouble and sell the super Bowl ring?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: That's becoming a more and more attractive concept.
Speaker 6: But like, at what point are these rings not even able to be taken out in public?
Speaker 1: You can't drive a p or know, to the market with a ring of that size.
Speaker 3: If someone's gonna cut your finger off and run away with it.
Speaker 1: You can knock somebody out more drip. You're okay with the conye as we're just saying. Yeah.
Speaker 6: In other news, the bills they want to get back to the AFC Title Game or get to the AFC Title game.
Speaker 1: Isn't it weird they this run they've been on.
Speaker 6: They haven't even got to the AFC Title Game yet everyone's saying they need to win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Gotta get to the AFC Title Game first. They haven't been there.
Speaker 6: But ownership is very happy with the setup there because it was announced this week that Sean McDermott and Brandon Bean were both extended their contracts through twenty twenty seven. Twenty twenty three will be the pair of seventh season together, three AFC to be East Division titles, four straight playoff appearances, Number one Connie on my urgency meter.
Speaker 1: And perhaps perhaps the Bills.
Speaker 6: Read that and they said, man, we got to turn down the media a little bit, and let's extend these guys for no reason whatsoever. They were under contract for like three more years, just to make them feel like it's.
Speaker 1: Not all or nothing this year, but it really is.
Speaker 3: Wait, your NFL dot com article perhaps triggered this transaction, I would remove.
Speaker 5: Perhaps yeah, they read it and it put the whole thing over the finish line. So now McBean is not going anywhere. That is apparently what their nickname is. I gotta try and work it in this year. I'm going to see how it goes. But yeah, I mean they obviously have done a great job and they just haven't gotten to the promised land yet.
Speaker 6: I mean, if we could work in that the new general manager of the Denver Broncos or the current general managers is a man named Kevin Saunders to alleviate any confusion with the head coach, certainly we could use the nickname such as McBean McBean on this show.
Speaker 3: It feels like McBean should have been a thing like half a decade ago.
Speaker 1: Maybe it was.
Speaker 6: Maybe McBean a cool thing? Is am I missing the pop culture reference?
Speaker 4: No, it's just McDermott and.
Speaker 1: Brandon Donald's item on the menu. What makes it the thing that's like, Oh, that's cool? I think it just fits. It fits.
Speaker 3: It describes the pairing of the two very very well in Western New York.
Speaker 1: I was on the Ross Tucker podcast this morning.
Speaker 4: Is that a humble brag?
Speaker 1: And yes, what did.
Speaker 3: You talk about?
Speaker 1: Very nice men?
Speaker 6: Many things, including including the urgency scale, And he was actually saying he was a little indignant about the old extension for McDermott, especially, he said he should be on the hot seat if they don't go all the way this year or at least take a step forward as an organization. I had never heard anyone posit such a thought about McDermott, which who I feel like is certainly if I had a point to one issue that I would have with the team entering twenty twenty three, a question mark'd be like, well, Brian Dable leaving and how the play calling changed, and how some of the efficiency changed, I would I would think offensive play caller is in more danger than shown wick.
Speaker 3: But you know, I do wonder though, like the timing of this, because you know, outside of the staunch proof that we have that your article triggered this, that this had been in the works for a while, and we're a week removed from a fair amount of drama involving Stefan Diggs and like not being happy with Josh Allen, not being happy with play calling the whole way the offensive scheme was built, and then bang, it's like everything's normal, everything's fine. They always these It's interesting when they announced these contract extensions, they seem sometimes to solve some sort of psychological warfare within the building.
Speaker 1: True. True, You've said it all Mark, as usual, I'm leaving moving on. In Blotder News.
Speaker 6: We touched on this briefly in our episode last week going over the best skill players teams with the best skill players in the league, and the Dolphins were high on that exercise in large part because of Tyreek Hill, their wide receiver and a legendary playmaker. He is likely to face criminal chargers after an incident on Father's Day at Miami Beach Marina. The victim of an alleged assault intending to take legal action against Hill.
Speaker 1: He's twenty nine years old.
Speaker 6: He's been accused of slapping a fifty seven year old man during an argument at Hallover Marina in Miami. This is the same Tyreek Hill, obviously, who has a passed with the NFL's Personal Conduct policy and assault and domestic violence. So it is absolutely now something that could affect the Dolphins, and they're arguably their most important player on the offense. And just to tag that with a wide star wide receiver that will not be facing charges. DeVante Adams, the Raiders wide receiver. Remember that game where he shoved the media worker in Kansas City after an October game and the A spokesperson for the Kansas City Municipal Court told The Kansas City Star on Friday that a prosecutor had dismissed the misdemeanor charge June fifth and that the case was closed. So that's done. Devanta Adams doesn't have to worry about that, But the Dolphins and Tyree killed Connie do have something to worry about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And that Tyreek is twenty nine and this guy is fifty seven makes it a lot worse too, I think. So it's just like these things I feel like keep popping up with Tyreek and it's such a shame because he's a great talent and he would really help the Dolphins, but this stuff can't keep happening.
Speaker 6: Great player does not seem like a great guy.
Speaker 1: Finally, in the news, Carson Wentz went bear hunting. Did you hear about this one coming?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 5: I saw him.
Speaker 6: He went bear hunting. He's an avid outdoorsman. Posted a photo after he bagged the big old bear and getting a lot of pushback. Carson Wentz the underemployed former first round pick Mark and I just want to check in on Carson Wentz. This is what he's doing right now, shooting animals in the woods. A lot of people do things like that, Uh not everyone posts it in such a visible way when you're a high profile person.
Speaker 1: He did. Some people didn't like it.
Speaker 3: A lot of people did not like it. He posted it to the Wentz Bros. Outdoors Instagram accounts. So I think it was just like this bear hunting and the hunting thing, and I think that's, you know, the culturee came up in. He's been doing this for years. In terms of an activity, it's you've got to I think understand if your Carson Wentz said, if you're gonna put this out of here, if you're gonna put this image out there, you're going to inflame large pockets of individuals, And that was the response that I think. The few people that sort of came to his defense were a tailor, Heineke, who said he wanted to eat part of the bear when it was finally prepared, and then also Jay Cutler said, well, so well I went the bear when it was Yeah, like I went deep diving because like almost everyone was like, terrible thing to do, and like, I mean, it's a bad It looked bad. It looked uncivil. I don't know why we are still needed to kill bears at this point, Like there's plenty of other places to get food and have your sport, but these few football players like stood up for them.
Speaker 1: Gonnie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I hated it. Obviously.
Speaker 5: I understand that different strokes for different folks people like to hunt. I am not one of those people, and it just felt so grotesque, And I don't know, it's just like there's so many things that are going on that are killing different animals all over the world, and then like Carson Wentz is posing with one as a trophy. It just like feels weird and odd to me because I just didn't grow up hunting right.
Speaker 3: And to add on to the disconnect with the general public, what he wrote along with the images was incredible trip, because we get it. You've been out three or four days in the forest doing this incredible trip and an incredible animal. You take How incredible is the animal if you've just removed it from.
Speaker 1: Our we are listen my take on this. Not a hunter, Yeah, you know, I'm a gatherer, sure, a gatherer total gatherer here as well.
Speaker 6: But they the people that are into this realm, like they don't. It's not that they don't. They see it as somehow unjust or whatever. It's a it's a beautiful thing to be one with nature. Now I don't wrap my head around that, but that it is a beautiful bear and they're taking it home and they're going to do something with it.
Speaker 4: One with nature.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: The bears don't have a gun, then give the bear a gun. Everyone else seems to have guns around here.
Speaker 6: Well, that wouldn't be fairy, because the bears got big ass claws and giant teeth and right and strong on some level the gun levels of the playing field.
Speaker 1: But how about you know, just like a I don't know, a club.
Speaker 6: Or something, a club like the Carson went with a big club against a brown bear or whatever.
Speaker 1: That seems fair because Wentz is an elite athlete or once was.
Speaker 4: Do people eat bear?
Speaker 3: Yes? Absolutely? You you you freeze it? I mean I do. I know a couple hunters from my days Colorado, and there are people that this is part of what they do. I'm not like, go you know what. I wouldn't say go have fun because it's not doesn't sound fun to me. But we weren't all raised in the same little neighborhood and there's different activities.
Speaker 6: But this is not a good look for Carson fringing them at certain aggregate right right up. So this saying that this could hurt his ability to be signed by a teams.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's going to be the case.
Speaker 5: And this is not to shame any hunters. This is just don't comfort I'm an animal lover.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's already having difficulty being signed, so that it can't change that too much.
Speaker 1: That's what's happening in the news. Let's take a break and then get to the first our club. All right. Another thing, if I were a hunter, I would be really bad at it because I'm kind of an impatient person. It's like, Oh, I'm gonna go sit in the deer stand for nine hours. I'm just gonna sit there, got nothing to do. I'm just gonna wait for a deer to come by.
Speaker 4: Is that what happens?
Speaker 1: I think? So?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I don't think you just continued well, we don't know. I don't think you continue just to wander around aimlessly. There's there's a bit of like a perch and wait, this is what I do. I also, why are we still telling this because it's just like delving farther down a topic that we have no concept of.
Speaker 1: We do not.
Speaker 6: All right, let's get into a topic we do know more about superstars.
Speaker 1: In the NFL.
Speaker 6: And every year I am tasked with writing on NFL dot com a list of documenting who are the superstars of the NFL. And in the past, I've done it the exercise, it's a zero sum game.
Speaker 1: I used to call it. Somebody goes in, somebody comes out.
Speaker 6: I've made some tweaks this year because it's an interesting time for the NFL where I was surprised there weren't as many like kind of freshly minted superstars that came out of twenty twenty two. And as we talked about this Connie and Mark leading into today's episode, is that something you found as well? Are you surprised at what there wasn't like a ton of fresh blood to consider here?
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I looked at your article from last year and noted the new members, who was in, who was out, and it felt like there were quite a few. And then going over the list this year to last year, it depended on the position, but for the most part, it was like maybe one or two guys, and some of them it was like, I don't even know.
Speaker 4: I think there needs to be less people in the club.
Speaker 1: Maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah. My response was, as I did the same process that you went through there, conye like looking at where we were a year ago. If anything, I slimmed it. I chopped people out and maybe added a little dash of spice here and there. But it was tough to find new candidates.
Speaker 6: With that said, let us get into it, because I did indeed take down the number of superstars considerably this year.
Speaker 1: So let's get into it.
Speaker 6: Let's start with, you know, in terms of this sport, quarterbacks, that is the true indicator.
Speaker 1: Of a superstar.
Speaker 6: Signal caller, the field general, the FG. Absolutely seven quarterbacks are superstars. The list is Josh Allen alphabetical. By the way, don't get it carried away. Don't get carried away here. It's not a ranking. Josh Allen, Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers. There is one newcomer to the list, none of her. Then Colleen's own Jalen Hurts and the Philadelphia Eagles. And I'll get to some names that are out of the mix. But let's start with Hurtz. This was a no brainer. We knew that this was Colleen.
Speaker 1: I guess I'm not. I don't gonna say what. We knew it was a possibility, it could have it.
Speaker 6: There was a best case scenario entering last season that Hurts could make a gigantic lead the way he did, But I don't think anyone really expected it to that level, even Eagles fans that really like what they saw from him in twenty.
Speaker 5: One right, No, I mean, his growth was remarkable, and you have to remember he was coming off the season where the Eagles really weren't expected to be in the playoffs. It was sort of a year, a transition year. Siriani, it was his first season and it was Hurts his first year at the quarterback position. They went into Tampa Bay and it was just a disaster that wild card game. So I felt like that game kind of changed the narrative for him a little bit. Over last offseason and then coming into the year, he just made huge strides in the passing game and just overall, I mean, MVP candidate obviously went to the Super Bowl, played really damn good all year long, and having Aj Brown there absolutely helped, but the numbers were you you could not argue with them at all.
Speaker 4: He absolutely belongs in the club.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think if you're a Justin Fields fan, a Bears fan, you look at that road map that Jalen Hurts just went through and wonder if that's the kind of player that can make this kind of leap, Because it's a year ago it was Jalen Hurts has spoken about completely differently. Is not like trying out for his job, but the Eagles might have a wandering eye for phill in the blank, Russell Wilson, someone else, and instead he just took this titanic leap. And I mean it kind of just goes to show that the quarterback development I remember growing up and like Phil Simms had five or six seasons before he was kind of cemented in as like the plug and play guy, and now it happens in year two or three.
Speaker 6: Tops Hurts averaged eight yards of Carrie last season, almost eight hundred yards on the ground, thirteen rushing scores. It was excellent as a passer as well, and as we saw in the Super Bowl, I mean when he and I know he had the big turnover that led to a touchdown that kind of changed the game. But in many ways he was the most dominant player on the field, so this was an easy one.
Speaker 4: He's got the swag too, like he belongs in the club.
Speaker 6: He belongs, and that's something Greg has talked about in the past that I agree with you.
Speaker 1: There's certain there's a genus quah involved here.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's a club and it is for to be the certain way you carry yourself or how you're seen. And you add that with the way things look this year because every new member to the Superstar Club it's a probationary one year period, okay, and herts is set up very well with a great team, great playmakers around.
Speaker 1: Where was he? Where were the Eagles in our exercise? I think they were either two or three.
Speaker 3: I had them. I believe it we two or three together, but I think three in the overall mix.
Speaker 1: Maybe yes, So they're they're set up well, and.
Speaker 3: It's I can't even recall that episode which was just mired days ago, but.
Speaker 6: I think there's again red string it and we're going to connect some dots behind the scenes. Now, who's out okay, because there's multiple guys out. In fact, three I had to take three out. I think I just got a little more strict this year. I think I made some changes and and how I how I see things. Tom Brady easy retired and he would have come out anyway. Yeah, although I did take him out of the Superstar Club a few years back and had to put him back in.
Speaker 1: That was very embarrassing.
Speaker 3: You paid for that, well, you'd you know, had been calling for his decline for roughly eight years of this show.
Speaker 1: So I was right eventually. So he's out. Russell Wilson, yep, hard out.
Speaker 4: We're all aligned.
Speaker 1: That was an easy one as well. And I think I think Wilson has a chance to bounce back.
Speaker 6: But I think even a Broncos fan that's highly optimistic probably is not thinking at this point right that he's gonna get back to the heights that he was. It was just such a precipitous drop last year. I think just being a functional quarterback, you would take that as a w.
Speaker 5: He was out of the club quite quick last year. And I can't wait to see what he does with Sean Payton and if things changed this year. But I like proved me wrong, But I don't think that that is going to happen. I would love to see him back in the club with Siarra like a smoke show outfit. They're gonna have bottles of classas ool like. You know, it's gonna be great. But I don't think that that's gonna be this season for Russell Wilson.
Speaker 3: There are whispers because it's so quiet that everything's just in Tropeland. But Joe Lombardi, paired with Sean Payton, said that they're very happy with Russell Wilson's offseason. I mean, the one thing I'd say is that he looked physically, more spelt and in better shape than he had been in a while. I don't know what, if any of that means anything at all.
Speaker 4: Is that a trope alert?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 3: I think it's a mass It's a layered trope. There's I saw here's a trope there.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: I think it was an Instagram video of him working in Yeah, looks different, right, you know, that's maybe a trope. It is a trope alert, absolutely, but one that maybe I'm buying into a little bit. Really, Remember, he was called the sack of Potatoes by a defender at the end of last season, and he's a player that part of what made him great was his escapability, his ability to both as a scrambler with the Seahawks and also to buy himself more time and keep his eyes downfield. That's kind of what Russell Wilson was all about. It wasn't that way so much in year one, Denver. Now, this one's gonna be controversial, but I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 1: Also, won't hurt the old clicks on the article.
Speaker 4: No, this is I feel like I know where you're going.
Speaker 1: Dak Prescott. I'm taken out of the superstars.
Speaker 3: I read a mirror reaction to this whole quarterback thing.
Speaker 6: Okay, great, Yeah, And that is not to say that I don't think Dak Prescott is a good quarterback, because I do think he's a good quarterback. I'm not even saying that Dak Prescott can't get hot and when paired with a really good Cowboys team and make a run to the super Bowl and even win it like Matthew Stafford did, another guy.
Speaker 1: That's not a superstar in this exercise.
Speaker 6: For me, I just think for me, after the last couple of years, I'm just pulling back a little bit personally on kind of how I see him you know, he has had some great statistical years in his career at Dallas. Last year was not one of them. He led the league in intercept options, he seemed to be a guy that with a not so hot supporting cast other than a really good wide receiver one and Tony Poller emerging, didn't seem like he was making a lot of his teammates better on the field, and in general, there's an inconsistency to his game. We saw how he played in the first round of the playoffs as beautifully then was not able to make it happen against admittedly a very good San Francisco defense, And I think that's kind of what it is.
Speaker 1: Dak Prescott is maybe.
Speaker 6: Maybe even like his predecesssor Tony Romo in the Hall, very good rather than the truly great. So I'm just pulling them back a little bit out of the superstar club. Doesn't mean I think the Cowboys need a new quarterback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not like a career assessment, because but you're not flipped like you can't just ignore what happened last year, because I think when when Dak Prescott was playing in his heights, he's like a top five quarterback right, but then he completely has these he goes completely a wall for a quarter at a time. And it's not just environment. I mean, it's like a lot of those inner sceptions. We're not on Dak Prescott. There were some weird things that happened, but I'm with you. I put him in a category because I don't want to publish this. This is just on my little Google doc here, but fringe because I was like, I don't know what to do with him entirely, because I think it could be back in this club if he is one of his better type seasons. But I can't after the last season just ignore a lot of what I saw.
Speaker 5: He's on my bubble as well. But guys, Mike McCarthy, bro, I mean, this offense is going to be way different for Dax.
Speaker 4: We'll see if that changes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but even that, like you mentioned that, because McCarthy's been very vocal that that Zaddy's saying, like we finally get to play football the way we want them.
Speaker 1: We're gonna score less this year.
Speaker 6: And I don't know what he's saying, actually, but I think he's saying he wants to be a little more ball control and maybe less aired out if I'm understanding some of these quotes that have been and I'm wondering if that is going to be a detriment to some of the production from the quarterback as well.
Speaker 1: And stats are part of this as well.
Speaker 3: That doesn't make it easier to get back into this organization, this club.
Speaker 5: Dock up though, Guys someone who's like knocking on the door of the club, he's hanging out outside, he's waiting in line. I don't know if he's going to get in or not this year, but I feel like Trevor Lawrence has a shot to get there, all right.
Speaker 6: So I have a category good job, Connie. I have a category for each of these positional groups close calls. And I don't think there's necessarily a close call that I have here, but guys that I'm keeping an eye on, and Lawrence is absolutely one of them. Because he did hyped up his generational talent, got wiped out by the Urban Meyer fiasco in year one, made that leap in year two, got to the divisional playoffs, and there is a lot you could piece things together and say, Okay, this is going to be the year he now becomes a superstar. I would not be surprised. I try not to get ahead of it too much. I'll talk about some other guys that fall under that category and try to say guy's a superstar before he's proven this.
Speaker 1: To be a superstar, you kind.
Speaker 6: Of have to be proven right at that level, rather than oh, he could be a superstar.
Speaker 1: And I think Trevor Lawrence still has to do that.
Speaker 6: Fields is another We've talked about him on the show that Justin Fields, if things go a certain way, could have that Jalen Hurts type leap in year three. And I'm excited to see what he can do with a more functional surrounding group. Could he have a huge season this year. I think it's possible. And then there's one other name.
Speaker 3: Mark, I I have a question for you. Is it Rock Purty?
Speaker 1: No, okay, I never even thought.
Speaker 3: I know you didn't. I know you didn't like most people wouldn't. But let's say you take the because we're talking.
Speaker 1: About Mark, we're talking about the super starch.
Speaker 3: I know it with Trevor Lawrence, right, it was like final six or seven games where he morphed into a superstar. It's like we just need to see it again, right, Rock Purty essentially was a flawless quarterback for six plus.
Speaker 1: Weeks playing with a remarkable support.
Speaker 3: I was saying, like, if he went and did that for another seventeen game stretch into the playoffs, is he not a superstar?
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about it. We'll talk about it next time, Okay.
Speaker 3: But I'm not like I just he's just on my like deeper radar and little in the sky.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was gonna say, Deshaun who was in the superstar club and then when everything happened, he was quietly yearnd out of the entire conversation. I have him back in now in terms of not in the club, but a guy that I'm considering as in terms of that. And listen, like full off season, no league discipline or legal issues issues, lingering, a really nice offensive line, nice skill group, talked about that, I had the Browns in the top ten. It's all kind of set up for him to maybe regain what and and get back to what he was now.
Speaker 1: All the other stuff, I get it, But I'm just.
Speaker 6: Saying, in terms of the quarterback and the producer and being a leader, and in terms of wins and losses, he is somebody I'm watching this season to see where he lands.
Speaker 3: I think anyone who's been in the club, like you'd have to keep an eye on. But like for your urgency meter, tell me Cleveland was not on that list. I guess there's a lot of pressure on that coaching staff and really everyone.
Speaker 4: I keep wrestling with Dak. I don't know, I like, I just keep going back.
Speaker 6: Do you love exercise where Jalen hurts, the Eagles quarterback becomes the superstar and the.
Speaker 1: Cowboys quarterback yanked.
Speaker 5: You know, it's.
Speaker 1: Ceremoniously how to get Connie on this episode?
Speaker 3: But you are right, they're gonna tweet that out with the picture. That thing is gonna go absolutely ballistic.
Speaker 1: And I will I may be not around anymore.
Speaker 5: No, hit them with the go birds and everything will be fine.
Speaker 3: You're lucky you got out of Texas when you did. That's true, would not have worked. Well there, I'm not meaning Cowboys listeners. You know I don't hate the Cowboys. In fact, you know, I kind of like watching them. I'm not as down on their constant prime time.
Speaker 5: Well, it's like they are superstars in their own and he built in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what helped get back into the Superstar called because it does carry that little extra something when you're the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But I just had a yank, and let's move to running backs, and this class is shrunk gang. Here are the running backs in the Superstar Club return earning member year three. I believe Nick Chubb maybe year two might have been a year late, unchubbed, but he is in. Derrick Henry is back, Christian McCaffrey is back. And even though I.
Speaker 1: Have the ability to rescind.
Speaker 6: This based on the one year probation, Jonathan Taylor stays in the Superstar Club and given him a pass, you know, and like they say in the Mob.
Speaker 1: Movies, he's given me a pass. I got a pass.
Speaker 6: Everything was terrible last year for the Colts, but I remember Jonathan Taylor, because let's start with Taylor.
Speaker 1: How incredible he was in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 6: Just a reminder of everybody that he is still twenty four years old. In twenty twenty one, he had twy and seventy one total yards and twenty touchdowns. And even last year, as bad as everything was for the Colts, and it was terrible from the offensive line play to the quarterback play to the drama behind the scenes, the head coach and everything. He still ran for a thousand yards last year, and all the injuries he had, and before he got hurt again and banged up that ankle, he was looking like Jonathan Taylor.
Speaker 1: So he's staying there. Mark.
Speaker 6: Did you have him still in in the Superstar Club or was he off your list?
Speaker 3: I moved him off, not because I don't agree with what you're saying, because I think he's a guy. This guy can be back on the list if he returns. I don't like to do that though, but I but I guess I am basing this, like largely off of what we've seen most recently, and I think injury can't be the only reason you knock him off. But he wasn't the same player, and I just think it's an exclusive little club to do.
Speaker 1: Way.
Speaker 3: Did you not have Saquon Barkley back on the back in the club?
Speaker 4: He didn't.
Speaker 3: I did not see I I took Taylor off and a couple other people as well, but I put Saquon back in.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's go through.
Speaker 4: I can't believe you don't have Josh Jacob Well.
Speaker 3: That that one is concerning too.
Speaker 1: But if so, who, here's who's out for last year?
Speaker 6: Dalvin cook Who Even though you popped the hood on some of his production even last year, it's not too far off from when he was seen.
Speaker 1: As a superstar, at least obviously by me.
Speaker 6: But there is something disconcerting for me doing this exercise, saying guys is a superstar and he's just like lingering on the free agent market for weeks.
Speaker 1: Now, that's a little it's a bit of a red flag, ye.
Speaker 6: Like I don't know, Like I didn't feel comfortable keeping him in the Superstar Club because if he truly was a superstar.
Speaker 4: A girlfriend right now? Is that what's happening? He shows up single to the club.
Speaker 5: He's had four straight one thousand yard seasons, Like, what do you.
Speaker 6: Think Damn Cooks should be still in the Superstar Club if he doesn't, If.
Speaker 5: He was on the Vikings and he was still in Minnesota, would he be in the club?
Speaker 1: I would be thinking long and hard about it.
Speaker 6: Yes, But I do factor in external things like did he get fired by his previous team, Like.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that's like a cap thing too, right.
Speaker 3: Or no, well, they definitely had cap issues, but there are thing is if we if we're too soft. You have like eight people in this in this list on the club for the running backs, I have four.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: I think Jonathan Taylor should not be in because he he only rushed for like eight hundred and some yards and that was like the first time he hadn't rushed for one thousand yards since high school. And yeah, everything was like terrible last year for him and the entire team and the entire offense. But if it's a superstar club, you got to play like a superstar. So I'm putting Josh Jacobs in and taking Jonathan Taylor out.
Speaker 1: Okay, close calls. I had Josh Jacobs and.
Speaker 3: Why because I had to question about Josh Jacobs because he looked as good as any running back last year. I think I am because Cisco's back and forth. But I had him on the fence, which again is my own category, because of I don't know if I trust that was going to ever happen again.
Speaker 6: That's why he's not here for me, Not because I don't think he's a good running back or even potentially a great one. I just wonder what he does as an encore after leading the league in touches, almost four hundred touches last year, three hundred and forty carries he has. He has zero career touchdown receptions, so he doesn't really give you that much juice from that side of things. And I really like Josh Jacobs, but I just I don't know. I guess the bar is just higher for me, and I kept him out. I also the one I struggled with the most out of any player in this exercise, and Barkley I struggled with as well, because you could look at what he did last year and comeback player of the year type season for Barkley. But I think one of the things that that Greg has talked about sometimes she's got to wait it out with Barkley, and it's it could be a slog watching a lot of those you know, negative twos, no gain, negative three, and then he blows out the twenty five yard er, the big play, and it's like, all right, everything is great, but maybe his offense just doesn't excite me, and it's it's part of the attack. He's so well, you're the author, so you can decide this. But it was Austin Eckler that I really because I mean, listen, I don't know. Is it the stink of twenty seven nothing hanging over a lot of the Chargers And that's totally unfair.
Speaker 1: It's a different thing. It's a team game.
Speaker 6: He's entering his age twenty eight season, thirty eight touchdowns in the last two years. That's twelve more than any other player. He caught one hundred and seven passes.
Speaker 1: But I don't know. I just maybe I'm wrong it is he a superstar.
Speaker 5: Cow well the same way as you because he did have eighteen touchdowns last year. I mean, he was always scoring. But I feel like the way that the Chargers situation went with him kind of affects the way that I think about him. And that's completely unfair. But that's just I think the reality of it a little bit.
Speaker 3: Would you rather have Austin Eckler over McCaffrey, Nick Chubb, Derrick, Henry Seguon, Barkley.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe Josh Jacobs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would have I mean, Eckler is a approaching the Fantasy Hall of Fame. He's a great player. I mean I would have him. I would take name those guys again.
Speaker 3: I'll go yes, No, Christian McCaffrey, no, Nick Chubb, No, Derrick Henry No, Saquon Barkley yes, Josh Jacobs No. Then it's just a matter of how large is this club for these running backs?
Speaker 6: And I put it out there on Twitter, the ones that I really struggle with. It's become a bit of a tradition this time of year. I'll just throw it out there, simple question. Is Austin Eckler a superstar? Over eight thousand votes and fifty seven point six percent.
Speaker 1: Of the football ggment says no.
Speaker 6: So you know, everybody has their own definition of a superstar and and charge can get angry about that, and Giants fans certainly as well.
Speaker 1: But just short, whatever it means, it's just short, is it? This stink of twenty seven? Nothing? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I could. I think you're broadcasting that that's a possibility for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but in I alwed no, I think that justin Herbert he's still in the club.
Speaker 3: But like the Chargers, Q rating has taken a hit almost year after year.
Speaker 4: And Alvin Kamara was in your rankings last year.
Speaker 1: Right he was.
Speaker 6: He was the other name I took out, and that was the name that I wish Greg was here for because he totally disagrees with me, but I think it's been two years of kind of not superhuman production. He's two years older, he's got a potential suspension on the way. The arrival in Jamal Williams is a real goal line guy. It's going to take away touches in the red zone. And not to mention the arrival of Kamara's potential twenty twenty four replacement in TSU running back Kendry Miller, a third round pick. Certainly, Kamara is still a great weapon and any coach would love to have him. But I just guess it's been too long now as a game changing superstar since we've seen him at that level. And Sean Payton's done around either.
Speaker 5: They just use him different too, like without Peyton and without Drew Brees there. Like before they were using him in every way possible because they had to. But then it's just like everything is down for him, all of his numbers.
Speaker 1: All right now.
Speaker 6: The group that has the most names, it's not quarterback but wide receiver ten of them. Hello, that was that was a tough category.
Speaker 1: Running back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, in general, running backs just a tough one to figure out right now.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a tough.
Speaker 5: Cookie because the league it's like running backs aren't supposed to be superstars anymore, but they are superstars. He doesn't have a job.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have Raiders fans all over you, though, But that's that's.
Speaker 4: How the Raiders fans Cowboys fans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway.
Speaker 6: Why receivers returning names Devonte Adams, AJ Brown, Jamar Chase, Stefon Diggs, Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, Cooper Cup, DK Metcalf, Deebo Samuel, all of them pretty much slam dunk, no doubt. Returning names The newcomer for me, well, let me start here. The only name there that I want to keep it in an eye on Deebo Samuel. I love Samuel. He's one of my favorite players to watch. Last year, the injuries, which is something you know, he's a guy that gets banged up. He was held under a thousand yards in thirteen games, only five touchdowns. Previous year he had almost eighteen hundred total yards and fourteen touchdowns one hundred and thirty six touches, so he had thirty eight less touches. In general, was a little less of a dynamic player. Let's see how his body holds up in another year. The newcomer here is ced lamp You had him in, yes, tell me why he's in for you?
Speaker 5: Okay, because he had career highs last year and targets, catches, yards, touchdowns, and he was top five in the league last season or top six in receiving yards receiving touchdowns. When I was just like going through all the different categories on Pro Football Reference, like he was popping up in every single top ten list every time I went down a different stat line. Like he also, as we kind of talked about with Dak, like he has that Cowboys star shine and it's the it's almost like the opposite of Justin Herbert being in the club and Austin Eckler being out. But in this case, Dak is out and Ceedee Lamb is in. And I just think we haven't even seen his best yet.
Speaker 3: I had him in two. I mean a lot of his handiwork came with instant chemistry with Kooper Rush in a really weird situation of the gate. It's sort of like, no matter what the environment was, Ceedee Lamb is producing week after week. He's the only person, though, looking up and down the list of wideouts who were not on last year's list. He's the only guy I came up with that he even had a chance to be on it this year.
Speaker 6: This one was up in the air for me even till this morning.
Speaker 1: And by the way, this article will be up on Wednesday on NFL dot com just because he was very good. He came in with a ton of hype.
Speaker 6: They gave number eighty eight, which, by the way, the last two eighty eights in Dallas. We're superstars in Michael Irvin and Dez Bryant.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 6: You kind of wanted to see that big leap, and I thought you did. Like Colleen pointed out, even when Dak went out, he was still productive. When Dak came back, he had some monster games. And you Brandon Cooks is there now, and I think that can only help because Ceeddee lamb has.
Speaker 1: You know, and he said it on our show during Super Bowl week. He's like, we need more like we need more help around us. Dak needs more help.
Speaker 6: And if Tony Pollard is healthy and Cooks is the guy they hope he is, and Michael Gallup gets back some of the juice, Ceedee Lam's only gonna get better. He's going to continue to see a huge target share either way. He's twenty four years old. And the reason I kind of hesitated just a little bit is because the leap that he made from year two to year three was great, but was it superstar great? And I think that's where the star helped him. Yeah, I think the star helped him because Cedee Lamb feels like even his name, like he's box office and that's why he did make the cut. Making room for CD Lamb was DeAndre Hopkins. He's missed fifteen games in the past two years. He has a ped suspension. Another guy. How do I put a guy in the superstar club if he doesn't even have a job right now. That's fair, and I understand that he probably could have a job right now if he brought down his asking price, But if the rest of the league still saw him as the player he was at his height, when he was arguably the best wide receiver in football three or four years ago, he would have a job now and he doesn't. And I think about that. He's aged thirty one.
Speaker 1: A guy.
Speaker 6: You know, if I learned that Joe Dougle signed him tomorrow, would I be pumped? Absolutely? So I'm not saying he can't play anymore. But this is the Superstar Club. You have to be that next level guy. And I think maybe Hopkins is just on the other show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I bumped too. I pumped him too. I I've got a couple questions about certain guys, Like I dinged the Bucks skill position group pretty severely in our last episode, and like I heard about that since from like four Bucks fans.
Speaker 4: But like your neighbors.
Speaker 3: But no, just like you know, I get like three random tweets like what's up, bro about the Bucks situation. It's like, I don't know funitch for the But Mike Evans nine straight thousand yard seasons. I know last year was he was at Aka Hoots with Tom Brady on like four thousand deep passes, But I don't know why he wasn't in it prior or previously. Like he sort of just continues to produce consistently year after year at a pretty unprecedented level.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I this is kind of at odds with my statement last week that I wanted part of the solution, not part of the problem when people overlook Mike Evans.
Speaker 3: But yeah, one of those things, though, have a problem. I think with this one.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I can appreciate Mike evans greatness and his consistency while also saying that he's not a superstar. And now he's ten years into a career. Are you seeing the same Mike Evans you saw when he hoisted the Lombardi Trophy with Tom Brady?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think he's still a great guy to have obviously on your team for a number of reasons, and him and Chris Godwin form a great one too. That's why I had them pretty high. Uh in the skill position countdown. We did, uh, but just just short of it. I'm more I didn't. I was more hung up on a couple other names. Terry McLaurin, yes, say from Washington, who is another guy that maybe doesn't get as much respect. But I thought his production is just a tick below and a lot of his quarterback base.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's never had anything better than a C plus courter.
Speaker 6: So give the guy a real quarterback and he's gonna he's gonna be here because look, but he's done without it. They're the guy that and you know me, I wanted to say, oh, Garrett Wilson was so good last year with some of the worst quarterback playing the entire league. He was he got open, he made tacklers miss, he was strong, he was fast, and I think Aaron Rodgers is gonna make him a superstar. But I'm not gonna get ahead of it. I'm gonna wait it out. But my eyes on that for next year.
Speaker 4: He's also on my stock up list.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, like I wrote, he's on the way to the club and a horse and buggy like he'll get there. There's no questions asked. It could have even been this year. I would have not really had a problem with that.
Speaker 6: I wrestled with it, if only to like maybe get a bunch of people mad at me for being a homer. Absolutely that would have been fun. And trust me that I'm not above doing.
Speaker 4: Things like leny of time for that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, But ultimately I said, I gotta stay consistent, and I try to. You have to like earn that extra bump in terms of production rather than oh, I think he's gonna do it.
Speaker 1: You kind of got to see it to be a true superstar.
Speaker 5: I'm stuck a bit on Cooper Cup. But he had the Triple Crown the year before. It's fine.
Speaker 4: He played only played nine games.
Speaker 1: Of course, he was. He was good.
Speaker 4: He was great in those nine games.
Speaker 1: But for a terrible Rams teams, my club.
Speaker 5: Is difficult to get into, did you Yeah, no, I mean the offense was like crashing, like I ninety five around him while he was on the field. But it's the one name when I look at the list just because of his injury last year, just because of the disaster that was there.
Speaker 4: So it's really no bouncer rue, no fault of his own.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: He won the Triple Crown in twenty one. Yeah, and single handedly even though Stafford I think got the trophy.
Speaker 1: He's in, he's in, he won that Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: I have some stars next to his name.
Speaker 6: Is all interesting, Well, in your defense of an otherwise deeply flawed point, Colleen, When I when I inducted him last year, I pointed out that he was always like just a good wide receiver, right, and then all of a sudden and what was like kind of a special year for the La Rams. Obviously he became you know, this s tier godlike president the Prince.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he kind of still was that guy last.
Speaker 6: Year until he hurt the angle, though I thought, I don't know, hey, listen, maybe he's no he to.
Speaker 5: Be clear, he's in, but it's just like I'm watching him. I'm watching him as the bouncer.
Speaker 6: How about Tyreek Hill? Were keeping an eye on him this year? He's aged twenty nine. He could have a suspension, but I'm not.
Speaker 3: Thinking no, no conversation right now.
Speaker 1: Then how will he age?
Speaker 6: If too and you know he had zero touchdowns and games Tua was out or injured, so his production is tied to the quarterback being able to put the ball in his hands.
Speaker 1: And he happened at Patrick Mahomes before. To a not even a question.
Speaker 6: Tyreek Hill is a superstar on the field.
Speaker 3: What about a him T Higgins? Any thought to T Higgins?
Speaker 4: No, I didn't really have him my list.
Speaker 3: I thought that he was their best wide at a time last year, but absolutely no thought.
Speaker 4: I think it's tough because Jamar Chase is in.
Speaker 3: But how about you know, I'm not gonna even mention the other guy. Yeah, well, these are guys like say future like horizon potential. Okay, I think Devanta Smith like I he's have a lot to do with you know, a J. Brown being there like works like Jalen Wattle, like if he keeps producing the way he's.
Speaker 1: These are like two of the best, maybe the two best second bananas in the league to me, and that Higgins, maybe the three best.
Speaker 3: Just throw a future note. Maybe maybe they don't.
Speaker 6: They have to eclipse those players, so it would be a J. Brown, Jamar Chase, what was the other name he said.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm just looking at the people that are in things can happen to even Samuel's on your radar.
Speaker 6: You know, those men have to benefit from having that true number one quarterback wide receiver across them.
Speaker 5: That's all basically the Eagles, the Bengals, and I mean maybe you could all you could argue the Dolphins they have the best wide receiver duos at least.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these second fiddles were not getting it.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think about T Higgins.
Speaker 3: Wow, I like, that's just lot. I didn't think you probably gave it something.
Speaker 4: You mentioned him last year in the article.
Speaker 1: I liked the Higgins.
Speaker 6: Yeah, another one, but we're talking superstars got it.
Speaker 3: But you also went on like a twelve minute rant about Jamar Chase like an episode or two ago.
Speaker 6: I didn't go on a twelve minute rant. I just said he wasn't as explosive last year. But he was still incredible. So he's a true number one wide receiver. I just I kind of liked that rookie Jamar Chase when he was just like shredding guys, catching slants and running past everyone for seventy five yards.
Speaker 1: We didn't see as much. His production was different.
Speaker 3: You're right about that.
Speaker 1: He was targeted more.
Speaker 6: He had I think, more catches, more yards, but it wasn't, as I guess, exciting nothing against them.
Speaker 3: See, well, this is why weren't we're trying to dig Indy.
Speaker 6: I'm clowing out of the box. Uh so I got DeAndre out. No concerns there for many one. All right, let's move on to tight end. And this I did this with my eyes closed. I had to undress the Christmas tree here a little bit as well. This is like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, the tight end is one position deep, one player deep.
Speaker 6: And that's kind of a disgrace, quite honestly. In this era of great offense, a great quarterback plays. Why is Travis Kelsey the only true superstar.
Speaker 1: At tight end in the NFL?
Speaker 6: And I pulled two players off the list, Darren Waller, who's battled injury, issues. He's now a sneaky old Hall of Famer thirty one years old. The Raiders didn't want him anymore. They traded him to the Giants for a mid round draft pick, which I consider that, and then I don't really like where he's going. Did you know the Giants had only seventeen passing touchdowns last year? You know how much of the pie is Darren Waller going to get? How explosive is that offense going to be. It does help him that they don't have a lot of wide receivers, but I felt pretty comfortable taking Waller out.
Speaker 1: Anybody have an issue.
Speaker 3: He were on the Raiders, I would have taken him off it.
Speaker 4: In the last two seasons.
Speaker 1: It's just a wash up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the injuries, all of it.
Speaker 3: George Kittle off your list.
Speaker 1: George Kittle off the list?
Speaker 4: Interesting, that's interesting.
Speaker 3: I kept him on mine.
Speaker 1: He was a late subtraction and I struggled with it.
Speaker 4: Why what did it for you?
Speaker 6: Because he does pass the look test, so he's still got that. Like George Kittle's on the field. George Kittle gets the ball in his hands. Oh wow, it's like he's a game changer. That looks like a Star. I just don't know how often he gets the ball in his hands at this point, he continues, obviously to struggle with durability. He's twenty nine years old, he's played a full season once in his career. And then you have with Christian McCaffrey there and Deebo, Samuel and Brandon Ayuk. I just don't know how how many like his numbers are you gonna put a guy in the Superstar club if he's got you know, fifty eight catches for eight hundred and fifty yards and seven touchdowns, Like, but that's.
Speaker 1: Me, not gonna do it for me.
Speaker 5: Maybe what he does best is just not showing up in those stat lines, all those stat lines, Like I think he should still be in. I think it's still Travis Kelcey and George Kittle as the two elite tight ends in the league.
Speaker 3: I still I have Kittle in there too, But I think when we talk about Kittle and Deebo and you just mentioned all the weapons in San Francisco, it's like it isn't an offense based around one star guy that compiles massive numbers.
Speaker 6: But then what do you do in it? Because like Deebo's numbers don't look. Yeah, but like depressive Debo gets his touches? Are you gets touches? McCaffrey we know gets his touches. Did you know that after McCaffrey came over at the deadline, Kittle averaged four targets a game, four point two targets a game. And he is such a massive figure in their offense obviously for what he could do to the middle of the field, his blocking ability, which is.
Speaker 4: Then he loved a block.
Speaker 1: He loves the.
Speaker 6: Block and National tight End Day. I love all that stuff. But I just think he's in an offense that is going to depress his production and the factor in the injuries in the age, and I think he's just to tick below a superstar, which and it also I guess hurts a little bit that Travis Kelcey is as much of a superstar as anyone on this list at any position. He sets the bar high that it's like it's hard to put anyone in a category with him because he does it all.
Speaker 1: He produces. Thought it was a little bold. He's on a champion. He also obviously has the look he hosted SNL.
Speaker 4: I mean a big he's a superstar.
Speaker 6: He's a born superstar, So no newcomers and close calls. Anybody want to throw a name out there or someone that should be here or should be discussed.
Speaker 3: No, because I think it just points out that there's this second tier. Like a Mark Andrews is just clearly like an excellent tight end, super productive. That offense like rotates around him in many ways, but he's not a superstar.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was the one guy I thought that I was kind of wrestling with a little bit because I had Kittle in and it was Jess Travis and George Kittle. So Mark Andrews was on the cusp. But I don't think he I don't think he makes it in Maybe with all the additional targets and Todd Monkin wanting to pass more, I don't. I don't know if that's actually gonna happen, but maybe his stock goes back up.
Speaker 4: But he's not in a lot.
Speaker 6: Of mouths to the feet all of a sudden on Baltimore. Ye too, He's gonna get his touches because he gets open, he finds the end zone. But he's a he's also for all what he brings to their offense. When Lamar is healthy, he's kind of a more of a chain move. He's not a big yards after catch guy. He's at that dynamic break of tackle and take it to the house. He's just kind of that dream, get open, make the catch, moving the ball along type guy, which doesn't quite pass. And Kyle Pitts, I mean, if you would have, like we're talking about a ghost price point, if you would have talked to me last summer, I would say, oh, yeah, absolutely Pitts is going to be in this exercise. In fact, I wrote last summer that I was I was very tend to do it and put him in next last year, and then that would have been extremely embarrassing, a humiliation.
Speaker 1: For the old Zuser if I would have done it. I still believe in Pits.
Speaker 6: But again, as we talked about on the show, I'm not as bullish on the Falcons offense because who's his quarterback this year? Like who's gonna and now you add Bejon Robinson in there, who you know is going to be the focal point of that offense. And Drake London's gonna need to get the ball? Is Kyle Pitt's ever gonna find his niche in Atlanta? It's kind of now or never. It feels like, uh, for Pitts becoming a stud.
Speaker 3: They're gonna lead the league in rushing attempts and that depresses his value and also stay healthy.
Speaker 6: Not ruling out that Pitts could be on this list next year, but I'm less confident than ever at this point.
Speaker 4: So what tit ands? Is it usually like year three that they they jump.
Speaker 3: I don't know, well, it was like it was if you remember doing this, like kind of deeper diver was like for most it was around year three. A year had to do with the offense and everything else too, But like Kyle Pitts would have been a year two guy, I think. But there was a crazy quarterback play. He's getting hurt, and now it's like you're suddenly in year three of Kyle Pitts and we have no idea what we're going to get in this offense.
Speaker 4: I hope it's good.
Speaker 6: And this was a big year obviously for tight ends in the draft. Dalton Kincaid, Michael Mayer, Darnell Washington, Sam Laporta like all these guys. Maybe we're going to see that next wave come through. But it is a little interesting that that's a position where wide receiver. We're talking about ten guys that seem like slam dunks tight end.
Speaker 1: It's Kelsey, maybe Kittle, dry Spell. That's it. And finally, you know, when I saw this, I was just just kind of proud of myself that I did it last year, that I dove in a little little clickbaity.
Speaker 4: Sure, but you followed your heart though.
Speaker 6: Justin Tucker at Kicker, he did nothing last year to make me look foolish. He remains swag for days, legendary billit the accuracy, like strength, the whole thing.
Speaker 1: He is the only guy with dual.
Speaker 6: Membership in the Kicker Club and the Superstar that's special Tucker year two in the Superstar Club.
Speaker 1: And I don't look back.
Speaker 6: And if you're looking for offensive line superstars, anyone that plays defense, gunners on special teams punters, go find Brian Baldinger, who's probably parasaling somewhere in Paraguay if you could find him, ask him. I'm just digging into this fun stuff here because that's what I feel like doing this time of year. But that those positions, those are the superstars in the league. I think it's twenty three and before it, because I still have a window here. After we wrap up today, I'm gonna go write the piece. What did I get so wrong that I need to I need to think it over before dive it in.
Speaker 5: Is there anything that pops into your head now? You tell me, Josh acups, Maybe that's right.
Speaker 3: That's where I think you're gonna get a lot of heat.
Speaker 4: Josh comes a superstar, just like take it under advisement.
Speaker 1: Rushing champion.
Speaker 3: I didn't have him in mind, though, so I can't you know, I'm talking on both sides of my mouth.
Speaker 1: Anything else that I really.
Speaker 3: No, because I think the exercise sort of shows that there hasn't been a lot of like earthquake level movements since a year ago.
Speaker 4: We were all pretty aligned.
Speaker 6: The DAK thing we feel good about before we send this thing out there to the masses.
Speaker 3: Well, you're gonna I'm still little.
Speaker 1: I want to talk TALKYOI.
Speaker 6: That is one of my favorites. That's a great line f Travis Travis Kelcey. That's respect for Travis Kelcey. I hope you can play this on his podcast, the only tight end in the Superstar Club literally in a classic Have.
Speaker 3: You on his show?
Speaker 6: Maybe I would love to join the Brothers Kelsey, We're okay with you. Guys weren't happy about John at the tailor.
Speaker 1: It seemed.
Speaker 3: I just don't really, you know, it seems to go skirt the rules of what's happening here just a little bit. How so, because I think it's largely based off.
Speaker 1: To prove it to me, it's not. It's not a leap in logic.
Speaker 6: It's like he did it and then he had a season wrecked by injuries and almost like historic.
Speaker 5: Like okay, so then what about Russell Wilson his performance last year?
Speaker 6: Wilson looked like a player and declined, And what about Dak Prescott who had an injury and had some you know, ups and downs. I think I made my point very clear that Deak just kind of seems is leveled off at a at a very good level in terms of his play. And I don't see that leap too, that that next level that it.
Speaker 3: Just feels like someone kind of like snuck Jonathan Taylor into the club for the back door.
Speaker 6: That's that's fun, all right, You didn't make a good enough case he's staying in the club. How about Shane Steichen about Anthony Richardson, how about uh, you know, this offensive line coming together and saying that's never happening ever again. I could see that and the stars lining and the cults are pretty damn competitive next.
Speaker 4: Year them to be competitive. Well made you happen?
Speaker 1: What happened with you? Last last summer?
Speaker 3: Ellen was going off about the cults.
Speaker 5: I can't, I can't go like it was the Colts I was hugely high on and then the Broncos so I it was just because of death for both franchises And.
Speaker 1: Can I make one more before we sign off?
Speaker 3: Remember when I became a Titans fin.
Speaker 1: That was huge Graver. Graver was not shy about bringing it up either.
Speaker 3: No, He's put on online polls on Twitter and stuff for that.
Speaker 1: Like let's let's let's finish up with an online poll, simple question, colon, is Ceedee Lamb a superstar? And I think this shows the gumption of the old zeuster a little bit. The public said.
Speaker 6: Out of almost ten thousand votes, seventy seventy point two percent said no, Ceedee Lamb.
Speaker 1: Not a superstar.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 6: Only twenty nine point eight said yes, but he is in the superstar club. Someone somebody on Twitter replied to one of these two poles, like stop having other people do your work, you know, decide for yourself. Well take this, buddy, stick this in your pipe and smoke it.
Speaker 3: The problem was that tweet came from Ali Bonpori, your editor. But also if you don't add CD Lamb just from an article writing perspective, you add no one new to the club.
Speaker 1: Right, we got a we got your name.
Speaker 3: Twist the dial here. This is how this thing's work.
Speaker 1: And I could listen. I could have done, I could have tweaked. Some people put.
Speaker 6: Garrett Wilson in there, but I think integrity was important. I kept him knocking on the door, and we slide in ceedee Lamb, and hopefully he makes us all look good with a fifteen hundred yard season, including a four touchdown game and the season finale against the Eagles.
Speaker 5: To take that, I knew that was coming.
Speaker 4: I could see it in your eyes that it was coming.
Speaker 5: I do have to ask, will Garrett Wilson be mentioned in your article?
Speaker 1: He will be.
Speaker 6: He'll be the bulk of the article. Right, all right, we'll be back on Thursday. Connie, if you can join us, please do. If you if you have some summer of Connie activities, we'll understand.
Speaker 4: That that's wonderful. I love this arrangement.
Speaker 6: So maybe you see Connie or here Connie on Thursday, maybe not. We definitely will have Patrick Clayband with us UH to talk some what.
Speaker 3: If I have something you need to do somewhere related.
Speaker 1: You are right here. I'm not going anywhere. If you want to talk, your talk, YO. That's that's what that's my reply to you. Mark.
Speaker 3: You can't argue with Block, can't. I'm taking that very seriously.
Speaker 1: All Right, We're out of here until next time. Keep the call.
Speaker 7: H