Speaker 1: Hi there. I'm Delilah, and I am so glad that you've decided to check out my podcast. It's a great outlet for me to have because it's free of a lot of the rules that apply to regular radio programming. This podcast allows me to just talk to talk to you, to talk to our guests, to address subjects without any time constraints, without a boss breathing down my next saying be quiet and play the music. And this podcast has been made possible by the amazing folks at the Home Depot. They're there for your current winter woes like snowshovels and salt, but also for your dreams of spring plants and bulbs and everything you need to plan your garden ahead of time. So thank you to the Home Depot for making this podcast possible. Brandy carl is with me today. She's a hometown Seattle girl. She has got a farm like me. She's got goats and dogs and beautiful kids. But you know what else Brandy Carlyle has that I don't. She has six Grammy nominations. Six six Grammy nominations. Whoo, Brandy Carlisle, thank you for taking this time to reach out. It is so good to connect with you during such an exciting time in your career.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's my pleasure. How are you? So?
Speaker 1: I find it kind of weird that I've been in radio since long before you were born, in radio in the city you were born, and I've followed your music and owned your album back in the day when I actually owned an album. And this is the first time I've got to talk to you because somebody you love is somebody that I now love.
Speaker 2: In a door, Oh yeah, I never.
Speaker 1: Got to talk to you before until I met Kim, and She's like, what I know, I know, let me facilitate this for you.
Speaker 2: I know. And I've been listening to you for years? How cool is that as long as I can remember? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Cool. So Kim was telling me that we've got many many things in common, including horses and goats. Yeahats a lot more than you do, though.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So tell me about your your new project, your new album, and then I want to talk about your work with refugees. But first we're going to talk about your brand new album.
Speaker 2: That's out well, and then an album with the Twins, my longtime band and brothers, Kim and Philhans, a off called by the.
Speaker 1: Way I asked of you, Now, can I can I share this because because Kim told me this that you guys not only work together and played together and produce together and record together, but you also like live in the same general area, so you like do your like family?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's cultish. One of them's married to my little sister and so they're little kids and my niece and nephew, and then you know, buy marriage in some way or another them related to the other one because of that, So his wife and his two kids or my other niece and nephew. And then we have a long time cellice who's been in our band for about fifteen years. Josh Newman. He married my wife's sister, and.
Speaker 1: So you really really really are family.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the engineer that tours with the band, and that engineered Firewalker's daughter, and Bear Creek is marrying my wife's other sister. So we basically are all married into the band.
Speaker 1: And so you can never ever break up. The band can never break up. In the marriages can never break up.
Speaker 2: It would cause real problems if one of the marriages hit, uh yeah, because we'd all probably take sides and freak out.
Speaker 1: And that would just be bad for the music. That would be bad for us fans.
Speaker 2: It gives the music a real serious depth. But I suppose the music's always in jeopardy because if something went wrong, you know, in the family, it'd be a problem.
Speaker 1: Now, are you guys going to be like Fleetwood Mac and if things do, you know, go upside down for a minute, write a great song about it and and capitalize on that pain.
Speaker 2: Like write revenge songs. Probably, But then you have to go back to it.
Speaker 1: By the way, I forgive.
Speaker 2: You, yep, back to this record.
Speaker 1: So let's let's talk about by the way I forgive you. Okay, So you've got a single off that tell me about the single and why you chose that one. Because I listened to the whole thing, I could not I could not pick a favorite.
Speaker 2: Really, it was really hard, actually, but the joke felt like a favorite to me because it's so uplifting, a universally anthemic that it was just like a message I just felt like we all wanted needed to hear right now. And so it was the only single that's ever been chosen as a single based on the message and for us anyway, and that's why we chose it.
Speaker 1: We do need a message of hope, a message of laughter, a message of let's get over it. Brandy Carlisle is with me today and we're talking about kids, our fur babies, and oh yeah, those Grammy nominations. This podcast has been made possible by the wonderful folks at the Home Depot. The Home Depot is a great company that makes anything home improvement possible for us each and every day. We now go back to continue our conversation with six time Grammy nominee Brandy Carlisle. One of the things that I love and have loved about you when I heard about your Cover Stories project is that you're not just talking about it. You're doing something to try to help and bless kids who are affected by war.
Speaker 2: Well, that's basically what Warchild does, you know, is it deals with kids that are having to see horrific things that they're having to see it on a daily basis, or they've seen it and its shaped their little lives in a way that they're not going to get beyond because they don't have the emotional maturity process what they've seen. More child introduce as an education and so these kids are actually getting their schooling in the camp, so that if and when they actually do get out of the camp, when the rest of us, you know, get our heads on straight and realize that these people need to be assimilated into the rest of the world, then they will have an education or have a way forward. They'll be ready to live their lives functionally and productively.
Speaker 1: And I am so, so so proud of that. I've six of my kids are adopted out of refugee camps.
Speaker 2: Really, and good on you. There's a lot of really cool people doing really good things in the world and not getting nearly enough visibility for it. It's not that you do it for visibility, but you do the visibility part of it because it inspires other people to do good work.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Exactly. Yeah, there's way too much bad news, uh huh, So we need we need to highlight to put a spotlight on the good things, the great things, the powerful things, the loving things, the kind things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I mean, if I could focus it down to just like if I could give you know, at least my life right now, one one purpose it would be to depoliticize babies and to kind of reintroduce people in this country, like reintroduce us to our empathy, you know, and remembering that everybody somebody's baby, and there's just no such thing as just a junkie, and there's no such thing as just a criminal or just an immigrant or just a refugee, or just a person of different ethnicity that like babies or babies, and everyone is somebody's baby. And if we could just like remember that once a day, I really think we would live much longer and happier life.
Speaker 1: Amen, Well, you keep doing your part, keep singing, keep playing, keep encouraging. I'll do my part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, clearly are. You're doing your part and mine at about fifteen other people's part.
Speaker 1: You know, there is a scripture I believe to who much is given, much is expected. And when you've been given great blessings like you have with your voice, your music, your talent, your circle, the twins, the family.
Speaker 2: That you know, beautiful are the feet that bring good news and you have some fu.
Speaker 1: Feat and you're the only person in the world and that is the only context in the world that that would be said about my size eleven hoofers. But it's true. Let's keep bringing good news and you keep singing good songs, and then you're going to bring the kids to my farm. Maybe I can come and walk the trails on your farm and absolutely figure out how we can continue to just be a light in the darkness. There you go, Brandy, thank you for taking the time in the midst of all of this excitement to talk to us. I wish you the best for the Grammy Awards, but more than that, I wish you love. I love the way you live your life and love your children and your tribe. You have an amazing tribe of people around you that you have built, and I love your music. You have already won. Even if you don't win the Grammys, which I hope you do, but you have already won our hearts and our respect. Brandy Carlisle, thank you for being here with me.
Speaker 2: Today is really Billy Blayant Turky Delilah. Thank you so much for you've made my whole day.