Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This is the Player's Lounge broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Danny McCrae, Heckma Harrison and New he Scruggs.
Speaker 1: Yo. Here we are players Lounge. No players involved today, it's just heck Ma Harrison me New Scrugs. So Barry Church out doing church things, yes, and now swinging swinging the clubs doing the thing in his last but a summer in before the kids head back to school. Danny McCrae on assignment. So it is Heckman and I talking Cowboys with you right here for the SWBC podcast studio at the Star in Frisco, California. Cowboys training camp still going on Oxnard, California. On Sunday, the Los Angeles Rams will take on the Cowboys and we'll start to see exactly what guys are doing there. One thing to talk about Oxar, California right now, Hackma Harrison, is the fact that the fans have not been coming out. Let's be honest, fans upset fans upset Two things. One the playoff loss, okay, another disappointment, and two Jerry Jones set all in. The owner and general manager set all in. It's not been all in. And you know how people vote, they vote with their pocketbook. True, they vote with their pocketbook. And while there have been some days where it's been nice out there, you know, but there's a noticeable drop off and a part of it is the excitement. So we know Jerry cares about this. Jerry cares about it, and he brought up the whole season ticket sales and yes, the cowboys, so they are the cowboys. Okay, they are the cowboys. But when fans start saying, you know, I've got something else to do this summer in seventy degree weather in ox Star, California, I have gone to camp where you literally see the cars lined up down the street because we were lucky, we got that little media access so we could just go on past mean slingshot to the left and you see all the cars to the right. People are not coming. And that to me is a message that they're sending to the owner and general manager and the players. You know what, man, that hope, you man, some people got off that narcotic. They're not. They're not one of those shows. What is your take as you you read it and you start to see it.
Speaker 4: You know, look, the optics are not indicative of what you've seen in the past, and I think you point that out and it's It's true. In the past there has been the line around the block to get into ox Nar, right, but you know, you hit the nail on the head. I think there's not a lot to get excited about it. And it goes down to what you did and what you didn't do in the off season. And I think everyone could see. You could see you didn't make the moves that all in said that you were going to make okay, and you hadn't signed your stars. So there's so much influx right now that I think that if you inject chaos right here, this is the byproduct of that. And the fans may be speaking right now. I don't know how much of that if you go in the time lapse of all the years that they've been at Oxnard, if you go back and say, all right, we're probably thirty forty percent. Man, I saw practice the other day and I was like, that's gotta be bad. That's not a good look when you have just a handful of people out out at an open practice. And please keep in mind that the Cowboys practices are free, so it's not as though you're paying the inner the end to the training camp. So look, it's not a good look for the Cowboys at all.
Speaker 1: Man, So no splash hurts. No splashing free agency. Dak Prescott CD lamb unsigned. Your first round draft pick was an offensive lineman that most people did not know who he was. So that to me, those are the things that fans look at and like frustrated. And heckm you walk around town, your friends know you work on the Players Lounge podcast. They come up and ask you things. They ask me what's going on? And I'm sure you're doing exactly what I'm doing. Man, I'm not gonna lie to you. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And even with that being said, I think if you look at this, which two things can be true at the same time, And I do believe that fans are kind of exhausted with all the conjecture and wordplay. They want to see action. They want to see players come in here and at least make it look like you're making a push towards the Super Bowl. But still, even with that being said, if you're honest with yourself, this is still one of the more talented rosters in the NFL right now. There's no denying that. And so with those actions that you're talking about, even when you do the comparison to even other teams in the NFC, in the NFC East, what does Philadelphia do. They go out and they get Saquon Barkley, Splash, splash.
Speaker 1: Right off the bat.
Speaker 4: The Commanders not only do they make splashes with the head coach going out and drafting a quarterback in the first round and bringing in other players. The more you look at it, you say, all right, man, you guys are behind the eight ball as this thing continues to go down the road, because it looks as though other teams in the NFC East are getting better. The Giants would be the only team that I could point to. It doesn't look like they're trying to get any better. But other teams in the NFC have made those acquisitions that would give the impression. And again, I can only go back to what I know about the Dallas Cowboys roster as I compare it to the rest of those teams, and we still compare when you look at the pro bowlers and all pros.
Speaker 1: So what you said leads me back into who Jerry Jones is. Jerry Jones is an optimist and he'll tell you all day long back to me to live in optimism. Jerry sells hopes and dreams. From the time he bought this team in nineteen eighty nine. Jerry's been selling you hopes and dreams. Right now, there's lack of hope. We talk about the actions. What are we seeing? And that's so different because Jerry's always been the guy selling hopes and dreams. And what did he sell. Hell, he sold ambiguity.
Speaker 4: Ambiguity. I like that word, ambiguity. He wore it out, Okay, So so Hecker.
Speaker 1: If I'm trying to sell you something, all right, If I'm trying to sell heck my hairshoner suit. Yeah, I'm coming with hopes and dreams. I'm not coming some ambiguity now, you know. Heck. I mean I think this black on you with the slate is going to look good being it's like ambiguity here, that's not selling. And for a man who sold so many hopes and dreams to people now I look at that and I say, man, this is this is a byproduct when I think about the stands and I just think about overall of the team and what is it you're selling right now? It's hard. The last three seasons you sold hopes and dreams of a super Bowl, you sold super Bowl roster. You're not selling that. This year you were able to sell Dan Quinn defense. What got Mike McCarthy now taking over? Kelly Moore? You were selling me? What are you selling right now? What's the hopes and dreams? It's none. Jerry talked about ambiguity, and he's right, I mean honest, he's being honest. Yes, it is a lot of like I don't know, and when I talk to people, heckman, I know, I tell me I don't know. We'll have to see. I've got questions, I've got thoughts that I'm like, I don't know. I don't know. But I think what we're seeing in Aux Art is indicative of what I expect to see locally here as well back home when they come back here for training camp. People are gonna come because it's the Cowboys, But what's the intensity level? What are you expecting considering the Texas Rangers won the World Series. Last year, the Dallas Maverick back in June played in the NBA Finals. The Dallas Stars, for the second straight year, played in the Western Conference Finals. You're starting to look around here and say, Okay, what are you doing, Cowboys? Besides building me up? Let me down? Jerry? How do you fix this? Where do you go next?
Speaker 3: Low?
Speaker 1: Jerry? Ambiguity? That's that's to me for a man who lived on selling hopes and dream Remember the old Obama posted hope. He putting that up right now, keep hope alive. None of that.
Speaker 4: But let me say this. This is a gentleman by the name of mil De grass Tyson. I don't know, if you look, one of the smartest people I've ever seen are heard before. I mean, this guy is a bio molecular, he's a he's a rocket scientist, basically is what he is. He uses a lot of words in terms. He's part of my algorithm right now is the reason why I bring him up. And he's talking about stuff that I don't understand. And he could talk for a whole hour, and I don't think I pick up on anything that he's putting down. I get that feeling a lot of times when I'm listening to our owner, because we know that Jerry's a genius. Business wise, he is. He is a genius, one of the best minds in the game. But when it comes down to building a team as of late, you kind of have to stand back from it and then say, Okay, look what team in the NFL wouldn't want over the last three years of thirty six and fifteen record, that's pretty much all of them. Okay, that would tell you that you're close to reaching the pinnacle of what your goals are, which is winning a Super Bowl. What do you need and so all in when you look at teams like you look at teams like San Francisco, all right, a team that will bring in a Trent Williams, a team that will bring in the running back from North Carolina from the Carolina Panthers, Christian mccack Jeniffery, Christian McCaffrey, a guy that you know can get you over the hump. You're not making those kinds of moves. And I think in contrast, and when you start to look at that of the representation of what you're getting on the Cowboys, that may be the lack of enthusiasm that you see from a fan base because they don't see that.
Speaker 1: But what if.
Speaker 4: Jerry already believes that you have that on your team, not Christian McCaffrey, but a Trent Williams type and Tyler Smith the number seventy three, because look, this is a young guy that is giving you everything his talent. You know that this guy sky's the limit for a player like him. You got Zach Martin at the end of his career, still one of the studs in the NFL. Excuse me, Terrence Steele, a guy that has come on that you've made be who he is right now as you're a right tackle. And oh, by the way, you have a guy in Austin Richards that you drafted last season, but also Tyler Giden. You have a lot of talent on this team, and maybe the fan base just isn't seeing that.
Speaker 1: Wade and see is definitely a position I think a fan should take right now. And you know what I've said the past a lot of episodes, let it play out, but right now, before we let it play out, you can look at this and have a sense of apathy. They let me down again. I'm frustrated. I don't know where it's going. And I get it. We have people who come up and talk to us all the time, you know, and I'm on it. So I said, I don't know. We have to let this play out. It doesn't look good. We'll have to see will Jerry's thought process to make people sing for their supper? Will that work? We'll see how else can I heck, how else do you explain it?
Speaker 4: I mean, that's that's a that's a cool way to put it, but that's you know, if you're in the last year of a contract, that's kind of how you feel because it's it sets the mood for let me see more, and I need to see more. And right now you're getting that feel for the leader of your team, not only your head coach and the leader.
Speaker 1: Of your team. You're leader of the team. Was second in the MVP voting. Remember when we were doing this podcast last summer, it was a Dak Prescott leading the league in interceptions and he didn't even play a full season. Okay, Dak was taking a beating, pure beating. So he bounces back in a new offense and leads the league in touchdown passes an he's second to Lamar Jackson the MVP voting. They win the division. Yeah, but yet I'm watching Trevor Lawrence get fifty five million dollars average a year, watching Tour get paid. Make it make sense? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And Steven comes out, I believe a couple of days ago in camp and says that they've already made an offer to Dak and the ball is now in his court. We don't know what said offer is, but ball is in Dak's court. And Dak comes right back and says, well, I owe it to the rest of the league to take my time and get the best offer of that's out there. And I'm in prefacing what he said, but basically he's basically saying, Look, it's my duty to make sure that I set the market for the younger guys that's coming behind me. And so look, man, this this was gonna get messy one way or another. It was gonna get messy.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: It got messy for Dak two years ago when he threw the most interceptions in the NFL, and really the front office, a lot of them, a lot of people around here didn't come to Dak's defense.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then either Mike McCarthy in his first year as the offensive coordinator. You've seen how much Dak has like his game just kind of like it's the Dak, the version of Dak that you've always wanted.
Speaker 1: Getting rid of Kellen Moore was something I was on board with. In fact, I never understood why you bring in Mike McCarthy and you don't have him calling plays from the jump. It's the equivalent of you hiring Sean Payton and telling Sean Payton to take someone else. Why are you hiring Sean Payton? Sean Payton has called plays and won a Super Bowl? Why are you hiring Mike McCarthy. Mike McCarthy has called plays and won a Super Bowl. So I think after a while it got real clear. Mike McCarthy's said, Okay, now give this to me, and if my job is going to be on the line, let me do this. He was really good at it. And then going back into Dak and will dive into Mike next segment here going back to Dak Prescott, here's a guy that's hitting his thirties in a new offense, connecting like before the first four games, a lot of run. Then they get drilled against San Francisco. Then it's okay, let's start throwing this thing. And they made a couple changes in the offense which pushed Ceedee Lamb way out there, and we saw Ceedee Lamb go to another level. Your quarterback right now gets it. He gets it. For dan Orlowski to come up with his top ten quarterbacks and not have Dak Prescott there is laughable. It's absolutely laughable. But you cannot deny that Dak Prescott is a top ten quarterback in this league. He gets what he's doing. He's about to go in year two of this offense. You lock that up. He's a young guy, where now we see dudes playing into the forties. So technically, if I really break this down, Dak's got seven good years left if healthy, that's seven good years years. Why would you not want to do everything you can to go and get that thing locked up now to put your quarterback at ease, and oh, by the way, to send a message to everybody else on your team this is the guy ye That That for me is mind boggling the way the league works when I see so many other guys getting paid without producing. But for some reason, heckma and you've seen this, and I've seen this. There's a certain amount of people, the fan base, it says, we'll let him win a super Bowl, let him take us to the super Bowl, and then we will pay it. That is not how this league works. No, I keep pointing to Trevor law Lawrence, I keep pointing to Kyler Murray, justin Herbert. What have they done? What have they done? And I'll say this about Herbert. People talk about the arm strength, all those that natural ability as a quarterback. But when I go and I look at Trevor Lawrence a number one pick. I look at Kyler Murray being a number one pick and everything that you put in there, what you were expecting. And then I look at what Dak Prescott has been able to do, what he's done. The resume to watch, because remember Kyler got forty six when Dak got the forty, so Kyler jumped him. Trevor Lawns has jumped Dak Prescott. And I look at these two players and I just say, number one overall picks, guys that the league said, that's it. All this guy's put there, They put the sheets up there. That's the guy.
Speaker 4: The truth is, I mean Dak is a polarizing figure, you know, this for being a guy in the media, you know, and because he's the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: The scrutiny is going to be just as high.
Speaker 4: Tony Romo faced the same thing and countless other quarterbacks for the Dallas Cowboys. When you go over his career from twenty sixteen to twenty twenty three, you see a guy that's built upon his win percentage QBR all of that. What people point to the most about Dak is just one thing, playoffsoff playoffs.
Speaker 1: And he's given it.
Speaker 4: And the thing is he's offered that up to them, and there's no way that he can live it down until he actually gets to an NFC championship or he gets to a super Bowl. And I think that's where you get the Dan Orlowski's of the world that come from behind the desk and oh, he's not even top ten in the NFL, knowing that that's a lie.
Speaker 1: And so for me, the frush for me, the part that I don't understand is you want to couch it amongst we need to see playoffs success. That's not how paydays work. So it's you want this you want this bar that's over here, but it doesn't. That's not how people are paid. Yeah, you know you're not paying TJ. Watt based on playoff and that's not how you're paying a guy. No, this is the market. You're the player. Boom, you fit me in the slot. Trevor Lawrence? What was it a twenty one point lead they had in the playoffs two years ago? Yes, last year I penciled in Jacksonville to the super Bowl, super Bowl. Yeah you did. Yeah, they couldn't even win the division. Yeah, okay, they couldn't win the division. Houston went right past him. They've regressed Trevor Lawrence as a quarterback regressed. And what was his reward? Fifty five million dollars a year, got a new contract. And that's my thing. Heckma, you can't talk to me. Well, I need to see playoffs success. That's not how this thing works in the league. What else do you judge?
Speaker 4: What else can you judge dac on at this point other than playoff success? And look, I'm just saying, look at the big picture for him, as far as his money needs to get paid, he needs to be plaid amongst the.
Speaker 1: Top in the league.
Speaker 4: But what else do you judge him on when you can even go back sample size last three years, it's won thirty six games.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you right after the break, Okay, because I've got I've gotten that. You asked a very good question. I've got an answer. This is a player's brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming. He is Heck Maharson new he scrugs. This is Dallas Cowboys Dotcom Radio.
Speaker 2: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a chance to be named the twenty twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot Com slash Fan of the Year, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Hey, They're Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 6: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys theme casino games developed by aristocrat A Proun, sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Gambling problem.
Speaker 6: Please cont Zach a US National problem gambling helpline at one eight hundred gambler. That's one eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 7: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped.
Speaker 8: The press guy who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 1: He escaped slapped. He'll run for a first down. Just like football.
Speaker 7: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 8: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 7: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 1: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 7: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 6: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker. Your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lifball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com. Slash Cowboys with the co Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com Slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 1: To the players Loude.
Speaker 4: The creators of Buffalo Casino Games bring you cowboy theme casino games developed by Aristocrat. Find America's team on and off the reels now at a casino near you. Do you have a gambling problem, Please contact hum one eight hundred gambler for twenty one and over all.
Speaker 1: Right. Heck Maherrison appreciates you players. Line is brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming. We are in Frisco in the SWBC podcast studios. Let's bring in from Oxar, California. Three times Super Bowl Champion and member of the Black College Football Hall of Fame, Florida A and m's own Nate Newton sixty one. What's up baby? Hey?
Speaker 5: What's up man? How you guys doing today?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 1: Heck Maherrison newly scrugs with you here, all right, I want to jump right into the center position. Is this job now brock Hoffman's to lose.
Speaker 5: Is brock Hoffman's And if he lose it, they now to go out and get another guy, because right now our young Cooper is not steady with his snaps, and you know, without the ball in the quarterback hand, it's gonna be havoc. So right now brock Hoffman is looking like Superman.
Speaker 4: Rock Hoffman is looking now what do you say about the about the rookie coming in from Kansas State Cooper bb uh. They also have flexed him over to guard as well. What does that competition look like between them? Even if Hoffman is the you know, the number one at center, how is he looking obviously backing up Zach Martin.
Speaker 5: He's a more confident guy at the guard position, naturally, that's what he played a lot of in college. He's a little bit more physically, he moves a little bit, a lot quicker he at that guard position, but at the center he's a little hesitant. A lot of times you see him thinking about his snap, so he don't have he don't get off with any physicality. He don't move guys with the same flavor that he does when he's at the guard. But as time go on, he will get more and more comfortable. You can tell him. He's the guy that wants and he works at it. He's diligent in what he's trying to do. So but it will take time. I mean, I know, by where he's been drafted at in the third slot, we expect a lot, but that is a difference from college to playing with four grown men in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Three time Super Bowl champion Nate Newton joining us right here on the players Lounge, brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming. So let's move over to the left tackle position. They take Tyler Geiden in the first round out of Oklahoma. He's been missing time with the flu. He will not practice today. Nate, what is your confidence level in this young man right now? Starting at left tackle against the Cleveland Browns for Game.
Speaker 5: One, and he came out of the gates looking great, knew and hedman the first few days without past his feet was great. He's moving. He still had to work on his technique and then something happened. I guess this flu kind of really threw him back because he started getting a little bit inconsistent, and that's probably what he started feeling weakend, and all of a sudden he just disappeared for practice. But I will tell you this right here. They have a kid right now at that left tackle position, man named Awesome Richards, who played a lot last year doing training camp and then in the preseason. I talked with Mike Clart. They like him a lot. He's gotten stronger from last year. He's always been able to stay in front of guys. He's been looking good. He took almost every snap because Tuma is out. He took almost every snap with the first team, Yes, in the blue and white practice that they now call it. So this kid is looking good right now. I can't give you an update on our first round pick because he's not been in practice the last two or three days. But Tuma is out. It has been out with her back, and they just put Awesome rich is in a position where he can truly compete for that swing tackle job. Maybe a little bit more as time go on, because we don't know if the first round pick can put in enough days to show them unless they're just gonna slide in there, like when they took my job and gave it to everywhere. Hey, this is your job. You know that can't happen too because he is the first round pick man.
Speaker 4: So it's weird that you say that because I was going to bring that up. You mentioned on the broadcast during the Blue and White about Big Eie Eric Williams and how bringing in a character like Eric Williams, how it installed that mental toughness in you guys as a group, and that is something that everybody has been saying that the Cowboys has been missing that mental toughness. Who is a guy on this offensive line right now, Big Nate that you would say, look, is he is the cold be the big eu here today that we had back in the nineties.
Speaker 5: That's Tyler Smith. Big Eve was quiet, like like Tyler Smith. In his first year, he didn't say much. His second year, he took the job and not only did he say, come on, you influence, it's time to butt some heads. He was doing it. He was slinging people around. He was competing at a high level against one of the greatest players in Reggie White. So he not only started talking about it, he started exemplifying it. And once that happened, he started calling people out on fail like Dogby knew you let that dude? Do you like that? So the next day in practice, I had the mall, folks, dade, I had to step my game up, and Tyler can do this out here. If he choose to do that, just start challenging people because he is that type of dude. He is that guy.
Speaker 1: Nate Newton joining us right here on the players Lounge, brought you by Aristocrat Gaming. I'm new he Strutch along with heck Maherrison. Nate is out in ou Star, California, side of Dallas Cowboys training camp. Nate, take me back year to the first round pick. What do you need to see from? Basically this week is a preseason game against the Rams. Until that first game, which would allow you to feel comfortable with him starting against the Cleveland he.
Speaker 5: Just knew it. He'd just have to start stacking up good day after good day. It starts with the first rup like he did. He was stacking up days when they wasn't in past and even in the first day of pass he started stacking up that good day after good day technique, getting better technique, getting better using his hands, not leaning. He was and all of a sudden, he got six and we lost him. And so that's what he has to come back. If he can come back and be strong, because if you weak, I've dealt with the flu and I've had those old these that pandemic type symptoms. When you're weak, it's nothing you can do. People will miss ound the youth and you would get a bad read. The only way we get him back is get him back, ramp him up, get him back strong and feeling good like he was. I mean, at least feeling good mentally he was when he first hit camp, and then side building good day on good day, practice better practice, better practice, and you just have to go sometime. You have to put a guy in there to see where he's at. And the only way you're gonna get real football, and in today's football, is to play your guys. That is the only way we would actually know if he can ball out or not.
Speaker 1: Let me follow this up, Nate. If Tyler Giden is not ready to go and start and they're comfortable spells, you got Miles Garrett against Cleveland, right, would it be tuma or awesome? Richards as you're starting.
Speaker 5: We just we have to let this thing play out. We need. We don't want this thing to come down. Who is the healthiest guy, because right now, awesome Richards. If I had to start today, that that is who Nate knew would take a chance on. That's just me now. And I told hepta before the show when he called me earlier, I said, man, that's a big jump from no snaps after preseason last year to boom all the snaps in preseason if the other guys don't work out, to going into Miles Garrett. This is this is this is one of man. Every time I look at Miles Garrett, man, I wonder why Dallison try to rig something to get this dude in the draft many years ago. This dude is upbeat. He looked at he plays it and and then exhudes that through it. I've listened to a couple of interviews with him. Knew it. He rows his team up. He is that guy. He is that man.
Speaker 4: Well, speaking of on the other I'm going to go on the other side. We talked enough about our offensive lineman, but a guy that I'm excited to see get some action is the Marvin Overshawan and Nate, I just got to ask you about him and what you've seen from him down in Knox Nary.
Speaker 5: They got him on a snap count. This is one guy that if you can make that jump right back from major knee surgery or blown knee, he is that guy. I mean I never believed it with Gallup, I never leader was still, but I believe it with him. He just don't care. And if he has any doubt, he is willing to get on this practice field and just work itself through it.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's a I don't know how to put it. He's what confidence. If you look for the definition of confidence, they have probably a picture of him in any dictionary because he believes in all his art that he's did the work. He's put in the work, he's put on a few more pounds and you want to get in and he want to show the world that overshown his back.
Speaker 4: Now, Nate, you have played with and as friends with one of the best cornerbacks to ever grace the field and Deon Sanders. And I'm not putting this young man in the same breath as Dion, but he had himself one heck of a season last year. And that's darn Bland. What about darn Bland In camp right now. Man, is he a guy that looked like he's primed to have another great season for the Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Bruh.
Speaker 5: Every time they throw at him, he's either knocking it down picking it off. He's just barely missing getting there. He's playing with such great confidence right now, and he's inspiring all these other young bloods out there to get themself together. And this is how you play ball. And once again we need to see is how he's gonna respond because now he's gonna be challenged in some of these games to get the number one receiver, I take out the number two receivers because they believe it in this kid. I mean, I mean he's the rally man. I mean, I know who tray Von Diggs is, I know what he did before the ends, but he's a rally man right now. He's the rally man in the backfield.
Speaker 1: Nate, my last question for you then then Heckba will get in one. I'm old enough to have covered you back in the whole Saint Ed's days. Those practices were built upon the iron sharpening iron of the offensive and defensive lines. As much as people talk about the Triplets, the Cowboy Super Bowl teams were very good on the offensive defensive lines. Here. What are you seeing out of this defensive line right now that gives you any hope? And what is what are your concerns?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 5: The kid they drafted Machean Uhlan he he you can see he got something in his neck.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 5: I mean you know what that word I'm looking for just one? He got it in his neck. And you can see that he's willing to work hard. That y'all got excuse me, that's the Mojoe moment. But uh, this kid is willing to work hard, and that's forcing uh Shaun Sea and all these other guys get up off their rear and do what they have to do. You know, d Law gonna be d Law. How you doing, sir? And you know, uh the other kid gonna be himself Parsons. But we need for our inside guys. Uh, the first round pick from a year ago commntioned. We need him to pick it up. We need him to stacking good day on good day. He's a moody kid and and that and has no place. When you're a moodie kid on defense and you ain't know one hundred per lightside guy, you have no space. You have no time for that. He has to he has to realize that he has a purpose, and that purpose is to be the best run stop he can be in the middle of the Dallas Cowboys defense.
Speaker 4: All right, Nate, So we've been having a little discussion here about a player on offense, and I look, big fella, you know I trust it. If you say it now, I'm gonna run to the bank. I'm gonna cast that check if you say it. But people believe, Okay, Newly Struggs believes that Hunter.
Speaker 5: Lipken Lipki the fourth is the third down Yes, I told you that earlier, the third down guy. Right now, when Dak run up, when they say the drill, when they say third and home, when they stay second and long, Marna Lipt, you come running out there, man, looking like an old old beach killer. You know what I'm saying, So.
Speaker 1: Is your man.
Speaker 5: Until they find somebody better, and right now, I don't think Coach McCarthy looking for that somebody better.
Speaker 1: All right, Nate, gone, man, gone, watch practice, man, Ate, Thank you, sir, man joining the cr Nate, thank you very much. That is Nate Newton and I from Oxnard, California. Right here on the players line. I'm just gonna go to break right on that with what Nate said. I'm just gonna let you sit and marinate. And what Nate Newton had to say about el boogie okay onnther left key from now on is el boogie. You got McCarthy out there saying, come on, l boogie, get on out here. I was ahead of the curve, now you got it. Three times super Bowl champion, a black college football Hall of Famer, backing up what I've said on the playoff. That's it, Nate, baby, you didne made my day.
Speaker 5: I made my day, all right.
Speaker 1: Now, God bless you baby. We're gonna take our break, our final break, and I'm like that man. Shit, just go ahead and just you know, marinate on what Nate Newton had to say. Yes, Yes you did, Yes you did. H this players last right here, Dallas Cowboys, Dot got Radio, I'm believe.
Speaker 9: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique Apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 3: I'm Cowboys alumni Danny mccraig here with Smoothie King, asking what's that sound. That's the sound of me sipping one of their powerpacksmoothies with over ten grams of protein with real fruits and organic veggies. Because it's Smoothie King, what you see is what you sip. So grab a delicious Smoothie King Smoothie, throw a straw in your jaw. It gets sipping Real Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Hey there, Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 6: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo. Bringing NFL casino games that show America's team.
Speaker 1: On and off the reels.
Speaker 6: Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themed casino games developed by Aristocrat, a prown sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Gambling problem.
Speaker 6: Please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one hundred Gambler that's one eight hundred gam.
Speaker 1: B l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 8: Raising Caines presents the other rules of football. Rule one, any broadcast without the express edition of cook to Order Cane's Chicken Fingers is prohibited. Rule twelve, no crinkle cut fries, Texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one anybody who loves to feed their game face is an eligible receiver of canes when it comes to winning game day. Caines rules Raising Canes Chicken Fingers one love Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: To the Players Lounge.
Speaker 4: The official twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine Training Camp Preview is now available. This year's edition featuring scouting reports, positioned analysis, a pull out schedule poster, and articles from your favorite Cowboy writers. Get your Training Camp Preview today at your local pro shop or Dallascowboys dot Com slash Star.
Speaker 1: All right, heck, Ma Harrison appreciate you. Appreciate you here Players Lounge. Barry Church is off today, Danny Harrison, She said, Danny McCrae is all today, So mister Harrison and I hold it down on newly scrudg and Nick Harris out at Cowboy training camp has tweeted that Jalen Brooks is now headed to the injury tent and that he tweeted that out three minutes ago. Royce Freeman eight minutes ago, already walking toward the injury tent. So two players hurt at practice already at Oxtar, California. So there you go. And no, by the way, Royce Freeman went from the tent. Now he's going to the locker room. So not good.
Speaker 4: All right, let's start this day all over again. You want to do the intro for the show again? God, that ain't how you want to start trading your camp. That is not the way you want to start practice. Right there, you.
Speaker 1: Spoke about the Rams game. We were just doing the pre show. What about it? Like, who's gonna play? Yeah? I mean this is this is now With the way things are going here, you can't risk guys to injury in the game. You just really can't. So we'll see, we'll see. Now there's certain guys who need to play, like Mozzie Smith, he needs to play the guys that need to get out there. So you would ask after our first break about Dak Prescott and and people so wanting to base his pay off playoff success, and that's just not how it works. It's never been that way for quarterbacks. I mean, for years, Matthew Stafford was one of the highest paid guys around here, and matt didn't have any playoff success. But until he got to the Rams that he got it. Kirk Cousins made a living without playoff success. It's cashing major checks. Here's a guy coming off an Achilles and he got paid again. So I just find it very interesting that there's this big hole bar of what Dak Prescott has to prove and do when other people who do not have the resume of Dak Prescott have not gone through it year two in a Mike McCarthy offense in which he led the league in touchdown passes. I don't know exactly what else you want or need to see. The frustrating part if you were Dak Prescott and you're in the Dak camp is that he continues to have to go through this With the Cowboys. Troyman never had to do this. No Tony Romo never had to go through this type of doubt from the owner. Those two guys were always written, were had checks. And now I'm kind of going back and remember exactly what you said. Here's why I think Dak does get paid here. Yes, I was working here when Troy Aikman retired and they were lost in the woods. Tony Banks, Quincy Cardinal, Oh oh oh, then you went to Clint Sterners.
Speaker 4: You could, hey, at any moment, don't make me ride that train, which I get it.
Speaker 1: We were bad at the quarterback position for a long time. And and Jerry at eighty one years old does not have a solution unless Trey Lance comes out here someday and balls out like crazy. Your reaction and other people's reaction is this, ain't it?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: In my mind, Dak Prescott has the leverage and waiting around is not going to help you. The prices keep going up. There is no liquidation market on franchise quarterback. There's no buy one, get one free of seventy percent off of hometown. That Tom Brady disc count stuff is gone. People aren't doing that, so you might as well get it done. If he does not have this quarterback next year. I don't think anybody is very confident in what's behind door number two. There are no quarterbacks on the roster for twenty twenty five. Hecna, no Lance Rush Prescott. There's nothing there. And it's not like we're sitting up here talking about there's a whole bunch of quarterbacks that are ready to go in this draft, and you don't even know where you're going to be right now to secure one of those quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: Now, look, you've taken finance classes. You know leverages everything in a negotiation, and right now it looks like Dak has all the leverage. But he who controls the money controls the policy, and Jerry is going to control what happens next with Dak's contract.
Speaker 1: I don't I agree with you.
Speaker 4: Even going back to those early years that Dak was coming to contract negotiations, they just opted to sign Zeke instead of signing Dak. The mo of the front office has been to kick the can down the road until okay, we are just sure that we're sure that this is our guy. And to me, look for all those people that have an opinion about Dak that says, look, he needs to win a Super Bowl or at least get this team to the NFC Championship. I'm with you on that. You don't judge these other guys based off of that. So it's really unfair in nature to judge Dak on that. But you understand here the Dallas Cowboys, it's going to go that way. And if they reset the market with Dak and you're not able to resign other superstars to blame, the fingers are going to be pointed right back at him if he doesn't get this team to that point.
Speaker 1: When we knew when he signed the contract there would be a market reset, and it was. We saw it with Kyler Murray right out of the gate. It's going to be keep getting reset. That's just the nature of this position. Whatever he signs, it will be reset again. So just jump in there. Honestly, in my opinion, when Jalen Hurts got paid, they should have paid him to automatically. You knew where it was going, right, knew where it was going the same thing with these receivers. You know, once A J. Brown got paid, you know, signed CD lame. I don't know why they keep waiting. Obviously they have money. Jerry's gonna sign a check, but it is what it is. Hey man, this was fun time survey. We will uh, we'll do it again next week. Look, Cowboys first preseason game against the Dams. I know that I'll be interested to see what the offensive line is looking like. Who's healthy? You got to get Tyler got out here to get some reps, all right. Heck man, good talking to me, all right now, he scruggs, heck Maharrison players you by Aristocrat gaming. Barry Church off this week, man, Danny mccraye off this week, but we'll be back with you one more second d Wednesday, Right Wednesday, one pm, right here on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio JAZ appreciate you producing it.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.