Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Tiffany Oshinsky, and this is Serving Pancakes NOE. Not a podcast about food. This is a podcast about volleyball and more to you. A pancake is a fluffy, syrup drenched breakfast food, but in volleyball, a pancake is a high effort move when a player flattens her hand against the ground to keep the ball in play. And that's us digging into high efforts that are moving sports forward. Listen in as I talk with people making the biggest impacts on global volleyball and women's sports perspectives, insights, and behind the scenes stories, all with the side of pancakes. Today's episode features one of the greatest US women's volleyball players ever, Jordan Larson. Known as the Governor, Jordan has dominated the sport for nearly two decades. While at Nebraska, she was named an All American three times and helped the Cornhuskers win the two thousand and six and national championship. Jordan is also a three time Olympic medalist who is instrumental in helping Team USA win their first gold in the sport at the Tokyo Olympics. And now Jordan will return home to Nebraska to play for love. Omaha, Hi Jordana, I'm on in so excited you here to have the seat. We had some delicious pancakes, so I gotta ask you to start. If you were creating your own signature pancake, what's the Jordan Marsen special?
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, well, I'm a sucker for some chocolates, so I probably put a little neutel on there, and then I would probably do a fruit so I'd probably do some strawberries.
Speaker 1: We get it.
Speaker 2: Then I would probably just top it with a little bit of srup.
Speaker 1: Oh I know. So, Jordan, you had an amazing career. You still have an amazing career. I don't want to end it right now. Yeah, so when you were bored now I'm just kidding. No, I'm curious. So before volleyball, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, Well, my dad was a teacher, and so I think I ultimately kind of wanted to follow that path. Now what that looked like, I'm not sure. I think actually have a letter that I wrote to myself like I'm going to be a teacher one day, like way before. But ultimately I always just really wanted to be a professional athlete, but I don't know what that looked like or meant.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I would say a teacher. What kind of teacher he did, like Jen ed.
Speaker 2: So he did taw a lot of like AutoCAD and kind of very applicable things that a lot of kids maybe if they didn't want to go to college, that they had for other things, construction all that stuff. So that's kind of what he did. And then he taught drivers at as well. I taught me how to drive, so all the successful driving is on my dad, So yeah, I know it's it was cool, amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I read at one point you wanted to be an Olympic gymnast. Is that's true? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I one of my very first memories of the Olympics was in the kitchen with my mom. She would always be cooking and I would be sitting at the bar and we had this white TV that kind of swiveled, you know, and the Olympics were on. The gymnasts were like flipping around and I was just at that point I was doing gymnastics and I was like, oh, this could be enjoyable. And then I grew over six feet and that dream ended, so uh no, but I just watching them like it was just amazing, like what they're doing with their bodies and their minds and I don't know, it's just really intriguing. So it's kind of started that initial initial thought and dream.
Speaker 1: At the Magnificent seven Carrie Straw dumb dumb, Yes it was stomach Dund's Yes, Wow, gosh, that was long. I'm right there, like, yeah, sorry, we can at least you can remember right now. Oh I remember because I was a gymnast too. Then exactly, yeah, same same dream.
Speaker 2: Mine ended a little Yeah, I did a little different, but still a similar path.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So when did you get introduced the volleyball? Oh?
Speaker 2: Goodness? So actually my parents did a great job. They kind of threw me in a lot of things. So I started out with soccer, gymnastics. Yeah, I tried everything. I was in the band. I played the piano like I because I had really long fingers smell. I was like, you're going to learn how to do that, and that was not my fortunay, so but yeah, and then vulleyball started by dad was a basketball coach and so I played softball as well. So just kind of really got a taste of everything, and then I really fell in love with volleyball. And then that's kind of when I mean, col volleyball has been around for a while, but the talk wasn't especially in small town. I didn't really hear about it until I was kind of turning twelve, and that's when I really started diving into more of that.
Speaker 1: But I really just fell in love the sport. Speaking of small town, I mean, your town was what eight hundred people? Yeah Asian, I'm like fifty something, fifty eight or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weird to think that, like that's where it all started because I was so nervous and scared to leave. You know, I was scared to leave the state. You know, when you're born and raised there, you have a great sense of community. And I just feel very lucky that the roots started there and kind of got to expand.
Speaker 1: But now, I just I wouldn't change this life for anything.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I'm just really grateful for my parents to keep encouraging me. And if it was up to me, I probably would have stayed home.
Speaker 1: So is that part of the reason why he wanted to go to Nebraska.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it was just an easy choice obviously, They're a very well known program, very good. They were number one when I went there, and I.
Speaker 1: Just want hey, guys, it's me. I just want to take a quick moment to explain how good Nebraska was when Jordan decided to play for them, because she's so humble about it. So when Jordan joined Nebraska in two thousand and five, they had already won two NCUBA championships in nineteen ninety five and two thousand and we're the Big Twelve Conference champs seven of the previous nine seasons. John Cook became the corn Huskers head coach in two thousand and a lot of their winning ways can be attributed to him.
Speaker 2: At the helm.
Speaker 1: I mean, Nebraska has won three more times two thousand and six with Larsen, twenty fifteen and twenty seventeen. Since then, and they have not missed an NCAA tournament appearance since nineteen eighty two. I know, right all right back to Jordan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I just want to my family to be at a lot of games. So it was really just an obvious choice. So in the state, it just really loved Nebraska, so it's it was quite easy.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about when you were in high school and the recruiting process. When did you know that you were like different beyond you don't know when that actually hit.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think I was just in general, like just.
Speaker 1: A good athlete. You know. Again, I did all.
Speaker 2: These other sports, and I think my parents really did a good job of even doing extra like I was doing like speed and agility, like I was trying to do other things outside just sports. But yeah, I think when you know, I was actually talking to a coach of mine from the past and they're like, yeah, in every club tournament, they're just like the court just surrounded, you know, like with college coaches and like eyes were on and so yeah, I would say probably my freshman year, maybe eighth grade year was kind of when I was starting to realize that maybe my dream of being a college athlete was going to come true.
Speaker 1: And that's a long time ago. Honestly, I thought, though, Well, let me ask you this, because you came from such a small town, where was your club team in relation? Did you have to drive far? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So my first club team was actually Premiere Volleyball Club and it was in Omaha. So Omaha is about like a forty five minute to an hour drive. So yeah, if you're practicing twice a week in the tournaments on the weekend, like that was a long time in the car. Again, grateful for my parents for one the financial sacrifice and also just the time commitment. I also remember we bought a suburban because it allowed me to like stretch my legs in the back like as we're traveling, and obviously lay down and be able to get some sleep while we're traveling.
Speaker 1: I'm just really really grateful. When I was playing Chloe, I had to drive forty five minutes soon now also to get to my team, and my mom bought the mini van with the TV and the VHS play. Oh the VHS game change it really was. It is crazy. Yeah. I had the portable like the portal ones player for a while, and then.
Speaker 2: I think we did finally upgrade to the yeah, the one in the in the car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with the wireless head. I was like, this is lucksharing. But I was short, so it was easier for me to be in.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, no great Yeah, And my parents didn't like to fly, so it was just like we're road tripping all the time.
Speaker 1: So if we played in Minnesota or Colorreado, we drove it. Yeah, we drove.
Speaker 2: My mom was not a great flyer. But honestly, now looking back, it was great time with family.
Speaker 1: It was. It was really nice. It's so fun road trips. Oh, I heard it's kind of yeah boring, it is.
Speaker 2: It's very flat, you know, but you know, we always tried to play games in the car or listen to music and watch movies as they could mention. Yeah, so it was good, amazing.
Speaker 1: So I read also that John Cook when he came to visit you once at your high school after the game ended, you stayed and basically shook everyone's hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Where did you find that humbleness in your personality? Where did that come from? Again? I could assume my parents.
Speaker 2: I mean they always just said, you know, I always think whoever to come, and that was just was ingreted from like from the very beginning. And so and I also think my parents did such a good job. Like sometimes my stepdad was trying to get my mom out of the building because she was just chatting up with somebody. So I think it's just something that they've really tried to ingrain in me from a young age.
Speaker 1: And I just also think that people are taking.
Speaker 2: Time out of their day to come watch, and you know, showing appreciation.
Speaker 1: For that is huge.
Speaker 2: And I didn't even know this, but my dad said that the generation before, like my grandpa, never really attended any of his game like it was I think obviously they were farming and doing all these things, and my grandpa didn't never missed a game of mind. So it's just even I don't know, just even more appreciation that they're taking time out of their schedule to be there and to be present and support me and my my dreams.
Speaker 1: So make sure and selfless.
Speaker 2: And I mean, yeah, I also, I mean I think, like you know, Nebraska's special and that I think we just have really good people and people that care.
Speaker 1: And I know, just showing that is huge.
Speaker 2: So I know, I've always just tried to keep that too in the forefront as my career has gone on, of you know, you're going to meet a lot of different people, and my mom is just very about like being a sponge, like taking it all in and just enjoying the moment. And so I've really tried to keep that in the back of my mind of really how I wanted to be and to be good teammate and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Yeah, so you joined Nebraska five and then O six you win a title? Yes, well was that like going from you know, small town high school, dominant player, amazing player, but then going to like college and then so fast winning and title still so surreal.
Speaker 2: I think what was humbling for me was that my freshman year I only had one kill in the final.
Speaker 1: Is like, okay, did we get to do better?
Speaker 2: But it was I mean, obviously the team was great, and I think we learned a lot of lessons that year and O five and how we wanted to be better going into six, and I think we made a lot of great changes, and culturally we were just very sound and yeah, just grewing up a small town and being able to represent my little small town but also the state. It was huge and the huge honor and yeah, it's still one of my favorite memories of the all time.
Speaker 1: So when did the nickname the Governor come into pool?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was a little bit further after college. It was like my second year in the national team. We were in Thailand and the games are finished and like a guy is standing at the end with a red shirt on, like waving me down and Lucas, Like Fluca is one of my ex teammates, one of my really good friends.
Speaker 1: And the guy was there and he's like, I know your dad and like.
Speaker 2: He's from Nebraska, and like Luca's like seriously, like we're all the way in Thailand. And so she's telling this story to her brother, and her brother's like, well, of course she's the governor. And Feluca's really good with nicknames, like so good that like you have to start responding because so every day after practice she's like gouvna ye gummy like and finally, I like change my Instagram handle as a joke. Now if I try to change it, it's like contact Instagram and I'm just like a hasshole. It's just but now it's just become kind of funny. I actually saw the governor of Nebraska like two months ago and he's like Governor and I was like, this is weird. That's it just so it's so funny. So it's it's now it's now become yeah kind of a thing.
Speaker 1: I love that that's such a good nickname. First, I bet it's stuck in that Governor of Nebraska is like all of that. It's just amazing. It's so funny. It's so funny. So when you were in Nebraska, when did you know you wanted to go pro? And when did you know that you were going to take this next step? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So I actually when I was twelve, I actually set three goals. I wanted to start in high school. I wanted to go to college to play volleyball. And then I think even at that age, I was walking around saying like, I'm going to be an Olympian. And I don't know at that time if I knew what that meant, but I think when I got to college, like that was always kind of Coach Cook always knew that was a goal of mine, and I think he did a really good job of kind of keeping that as a reminder, Like as far as certain behaviors or technical things that I was doing, he was like, hey, this can lead you down to where you want to be, you know. And I just always appreciated that as a reminder of just like it may be hard now, but like where you want to go, it's going to be worth it. I've always had that dream, but I think going to college helped kind of build those stepping stones to like the next level.
Speaker 1: So you guys did in eight correct this December? Hedge Yep, yep. I mean I've talked to a bunch of the girls on the team right now, and you know, a lot of them graduated in the teens late teens and went pro. So this is alway, this is ten years before that. About what was it like to go pro at that time? Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: Still just so much unknown. Actually, I remember asking one of our alumnis Nancy Metcalf. She was kind of one that Allison Weston had been on the national team before, but I didn't have a connection to her. Per see, she was a little bit older than me. But Nancy was kind of in and around and still playing pro and coming back that she was present enough that I could ask a lot of questions.
Speaker 1: And again, I think the navigating.
Speaker 2: Of information just wasn't there. You know, it was like what do we think of this team? And you know, there's just not a lot of information.
Speaker 1: So now facebook to talk to agents, it was exactly exactly, nothing really connecting.
Speaker 2: And so I think learning from her and kind of just general questions to ask, even contract stuff things really helped me set a foundation of like, all right.
Speaker 1: What are we getting into and then how can we go from here? So I'm gonna lie. I was scary.
Speaker 2: Like I said, if I was up to me, I probably wouldn't left Nebraska.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It was just very I was a home body and so my parents and you know, had a great support system to kind of help me navigate that. But there was still a lot of unknowns at that time. Now it's unbelievable. I mean, it's cool to see how much information is out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. And I also saw that I guess in two thousand and nine, AVP was trying to recruit you to play beach. Is this true?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well they were doing like like an indoor beach series, so they were doing like a travel thing, and so they actually came to Ohan and did an indoor beach series, and I remember going and watching and thinking that that was an option. And the one thing about beach I think that's also evolved over time. But then it was just like it was just really hard to make a living, you know, it was like you had to play and then have a second job. And I just didn't know if that was for me at that moment. And so that made that decision pretty easy. That I really just wanted to commit to pro and then national team indoor and then see after that, see where that took me. But I'm still kind of intrigued. But I'm like, what, you know, beach, you never know. I was gonna say it, like it's beach. Maybe it's still in your future. I know, and you examined it. When did corscra like, you know, officially move from indoor to beach? I mean he was older, so I'm kind of like, well, I don't know. You never close the door, so we'll see.
Speaker 1: I'm not just making any promises, you know, exactly. Just got to throw that out there. I'm guessing. So I want to talk about the twenty twenty Olympics. Yeah, I guess twenty twenty one Tokyo. At this time, you know, you had been to two other Olympics before you went to Silver. You went to Bronze and I art your third Olympics. But a lot of these girls on your team it was their first time. So what was it like kind of being you know, this queen the veteran with these girls who idolized you and used to watch you play and playing together at this team.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm getting chills singing about it. It's I still can't believe it. Honestly, it's I don't even know how to like put into words because it's the way we went about it. I think if you would ask the majority of us in twenty twenty if the Olympics were at the time, I don't know if we would have been ready. But I think with COVID it allowed us time and clarity to have a lot of conversation and how to build a culture that we desired and wanted, and gave us a lot of clarity that when we did come back in the gym in twenty twenty one, we all knew exactly what we had to do to execute. We all knew exactly what it was going to be. And how we went about just the Olympic Games, right, you know, going three zero three zero three, oh, like quarterfinals something like I don't even know if that's maybe happened maybe one more time in history, Like it's crazy. So but I'm just really proud of how we kind of set a precedent of how we wanted to be in the gym and then you just see the result at the end. But I think all of us, well, yes, winning a gold medal is huge. I think we all just resonate with the process that it took to get there, and for me, it was just icing on the cake. It was like, you know, you feel like you're doing the right thing, and like you come up short a couple of times and then you feel like you get another chance. You're like, all right, literally, I'm I've done everything, so you know, if I know, I get it, like it is what it is, you know, So it's yeah, it's really special.
Speaker 1: Did you have an idea like going into that gold medal match that like this was the year? Yeah, I mean I definitely, but I was so emotional, like I was me again. There were many reasons why Jordan was so emotional before that match, which we'll get to in just a second, but to give you an idea of how important this game was for Team USA, volleyball became an Olympic sport back in nineteen sixty four, and it took fifty seven years for the US women's national team to win their first gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics. All right, well, now let's get back to the other reasons why this match meant so much for Jordan.
Speaker 2: I took a shower that I'm wearying, like crying in the shower, Like I was seeing one of my best friends, like Feluka that was gonna be my last time, like playing with her. Were driving into Gold I'm like looking over like bowling, and she's like.
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 3: We're about to go play for a gold medal, and I'm just like, I don't know, Like I just I felt something that I was like, this is it and I knew that this is it, and so yeah, it just really was just beautiful.
Speaker 1: Not honestly thanks to Hank yeah icing, yeah, yeah, you had said that winning the gold medal was kind of your way of proving people who said you're playing, why she's still playing? Yes, exactly exactly. So how did it make you feel when you did actually win this, being you know, older than a lot of the other girls.
Speaker 2: I think it validated that you can stay in it longer than you ever expected. I think what's hard is like, as a female, you know, this desire to have a family. It's like kind of this teeter totter of the timing of that and like how to get back and you know, I think there's just a lot of questions on the female side of all those things. But I think if you do things, I'm gonna say, do things right or you know, some people don't have the control of maybe injury or things like that. But I think getting after in the weight room, nutrition, I just think that like taking care of your body and understanding.
Speaker 1: But a lot of it's mindset.
Speaker 2: It's really like if I could tell anybody that's starting out or even in the trenches of like how to be a high performer, like mental performance, sports psychology, like it is what your brain can control on situation is huge, and what you tell yourself. I mean, I felt like I was still in really good shape and Tokyo probably the best shape I've ever been in. But a lot too his mindset of like overcoming body aches and all those things like was very real. My mind was strong, and also the support around me is huge.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean a lot of athletes are playing longer. Say, I mean you got Lebron James, he's thirty nine. Y serena woman was retired at forty one. Yep, Tom Brady retired and retired retired at forty five. But like that's a long career for these I mean mine is Syriena, but she's the lateral movements in tennis and stuff. But you know, contact sports and everything and volley blah, but jumping the knees and everything like that. So what do you say to the people who do say you're too old? I mean, I it's warranted. I get it, you know, I understand.
Speaker 2: And I never thought that I would be in it this long, to be honest, I you know, I joked that I.
Speaker 1: Was judging people, but I was like, what else are you doing? Like, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: You know, with your life to some degree, but I don't know. I still love it and I still enjoy coming to work every day. And everybody that has retired, they're like, I wish I would have stayed in a longer.
Speaker 1: So I'm kind of like, if I can.
Speaker 2: Still do it at the level that I want to do.
Speaker 1: It, why not?
Speaker 2: And I don't know, And I just I'm finding little ways to like do things differently. And now it's more of how can I help the next generation and how can I you know, I feel like this defending of none of what we want because I think that you can get caught up in results and all that stuff. But depending on how we went about it, and that's learning how to be a good teammate, like showing up for one another. Because the USA gym is really competitive. We're training with thirty at times, you know, when people are constantly changing, and so how do we create a standard that's that shows the way and how to do it?
Speaker 1: So that's kind of really where the.
Speaker 2: Role I've taken on is just learning and helping these young younger kids coming in the gym. It's kind of where I and my happiness.
Speaker 1: I love that. So I just listened to a podcast with Billy Jean King and she had this line where she said leaders don't choose followers. Followers choose leaders. Oh wow, right, very pointing out us the Billy Sheen. But you know you're a leader. So what do you think through your career, how did you find that leadership inside you? How did you manage to let your followers come to you.
Speaker 2: I would say it's definitely evolved over time, and I've had to continue to learn. I think early on in my career was lead by example, and I still think I kind of cater to that side of it, but learning now how to flex my voice and kind of being able to articulate like what I see and how I see it. I think that has been huge, But I think just I was talking to the girls a little bit today of just like I always keep in the back of my mind like legacy, like when I step away, how do I want to feel internally of how I approached every day and how I tried to do the best I could personally, but then also how I could help those around me, and keeping that always in the forefront, because when I step away, whenever that is, I want to know like how people thought of my time and the time that I gave to the sport. So that's really where a lot of my motivation has come from.
Speaker 1: And I think leader is always such a heavy word because you don't think of it in the moment.
Speaker 2: You know, you're just doing your job and you're showing up and trying to be the best you can. So it's been a fun process trying to learn, and I've just had so many examples before me of like just true honest leadership and kind of understanding what they do and how they do and then how can I still be true to me and authentic to me, because that's important as well.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had any doubts, oh laita cheese? Oh yeah, thrilled out as like my yeah, I'm an overthinker. I'm a librev. I don't know, right, I don't know that like othah, but he's trying to find the balance exactly exactly. But I think it's always also keep me in check.
Speaker 2: I think this general curiosity of how to get better is huge for me, and but sometimes I can't sit in that for too long because I feel like I'm just remaining and I like I can't. I'm like I need to be like learning something or doing something. And so yeah, I think that doubt is a real thing. And I also encourage athletes today like fear is fear and doubt and anxiety and game like it all normal. We all had it right, Like if someone tells you they don't, then for me, they're they're not like real, right, because it's like all those emotions come, but you just get better at managing as you get older. It's being able to acknowledge the fear or acknowledge the emotion and then be able to not sit in it but move through it.
Speaker 1: In similar vain, how have you handled burnout because playing for so long I'm yeah, sure at some point, no, yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, definitely, you know, but I still think that I'm like living my drain, like at the end of the day, like I always try to come back to that of just like, yeah, it's hit me at times, and especially I.
Speaker 1: Think Overseas was definitely tougher. But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just love competition. I love getting after it every day. Yeah, I just keep pushing on.
Speaker 1: I'm going to paraphrase Danny Railhaus from Tim Lasso here for akaecond and for you, I feel like volleyball is wife, right, Oh yeah, but I know you do other things, yes, So what do you do when you're not on the court? What are the Jordan Larson fun day off day?
Speaker 2: Volleyball is life for me, It really is. It's I can watch all the time and talk about it all the time. But I do think that the high performance side of like the mental capacity just even you know, I love getting to know other people's like what makes sim tick, like having those conversations like really like inspire me. I like to golf, I enjoy, Yeah, I enjoy just having nice dinners with family and friends, like just sharing time, like we.
Speaker 1: Could do anything.
Speaker 2: I really am a pretty good with full kind of person, and so I kind of have fun doing pretty much everything. So that's kind of where I spend my time.
Speaker 1: Nice dinner is less about the food more about the company court.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I also like I'm a litt about like a bougie, a little bogie I know, I know she like that, like a good you know, like I've had No Blue a couple of times, unbelievable sushi.
Speaker 1: It's like with that experience black cod, Oh my god, it's amazing. But then they can take you through this whole experience. You don't know what you're going to get. Like that is I signed me up? That's me? So golf, are you good? Yes?
Speaker 2: You know, I would like to say I'm like decent, Like I I golf with some guy friends and they always give me like a stroke ahole.
Speaker 1: So I mean I'm not like, yeah, like I feel like that's okay.
Speaker 2: So what's also just going out and like just enjoying the course and having a few drinks and you know more just it's not the competitive side really of me that comes out. It's more of just like I'm out here just to have a good time. So but I also love golf. Yeah, Now we play for putts.
Speaker 1: Have you ever done that?
Speaker 2: Which kind of makes it a little more fun when my families do that. One of my family members does that where you all get to the green and then you count how many putt and then at the end you like how I.
Speaker 1: Would lose every time? Putting is not the way for you. Sometimes I end up I mark my whole as an infinity because I won't even finished.
Speaker 2: I've built that a few times too, and when the weather's beautiful, it's like the best time.
Speaker 1: So have you been able to play different courses around the world? Yeah, now around the world of the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, just around the country a little bit, mainly in California, a couple of Nebraska.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I still I want to expand though. That is one thing that I really love to do and would love.
Speaker 1: To continue to do.
Speaker 2: And COVID just it was the only sport you really could do. So I was like, I think going out like four times a week. Yeah, and you could walk, it was great workout. Like yeah, yeah, could dutch pin, but that doesn't matter. I also love a good spat day, Like I'm like self care, just like, give me a facial massage pool, Like that's my time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. Yeah. Do you like to read? You know, I've tried. It's something I'm like, oh yeah, let me just buy this book and.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I'm gonna read like the first two chapters and then yeah even audio sometimes and like I can't really get into it. So more podcasts maybe, but I'm even that so like I'm addicted to the swiping, scrolling, you know, that's my my Like it is an edible for me to like kind of check out.
Speaker 1: Because I was actually talking to this one of.
Speaker 2: Our nutritionis to o the day because I was like, some the mental load that it takes to play at a high level is more intense than you think than people think, you know, And so sometimes I just get home and I just like can't think.
Speaker 1: So this is just not thinking so meditative.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and it's so it's so bad for you, but yeah, it's just my yeah, kryptonite, I guess of ways.
Speaker 1: So well, going back to volleyball, so you are now coaching, yes, at your alma mater. What's that like?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's been so fun And I think the best part is like seeing these girls, Like I think of myself at that time and what I was kind of going through and seeing them execute and them being just absolutely elated is like the best feeling. And just seeing them do so well has been so fun. And I think going back to and like a lot of people in the athletic department are still from when I was there, which is cool to like now be in a different kind of role and see them as I don't know, I'm not the young immature.
Speaker 1: You know, they're like, oh my gosh, I have grown up, but you know.
Speaker 2: So I think it's it's been really full circle moment for me. And obviously just hustrenation is unreal. It's the greatest thing. And the support that the community has in the state is just unmatched. So I really feel lucky that John is also allowing me to do all these other things and kind of get my hands in everything. But I'm learning and growing and I love it so much.
Speaker 1: So NIL is obviously a big difference from Oh yeah, and you played back in college, But how else have you seen the sport evolved at the college, well even at the club level, and what's still the same?
Speaker 2: A lot has changed, Like you said, NIL is changing the space space, which is cool, it's interesting, but it's also adding another layer of stress for our athletes and helping them manage that as well has been huge.
Speaker 1: But the club scene, I mean unreal, like unreal.
Speaker 2: To see the amount of just athletes playing, like I know a couple of director club directors in our area that are like forty five and fifty teams like that is insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's insane, and I'm just like, hi again, I wanted to quickly explain how popular the sport is. So, girls volleyball is the most popular team high school sport in the United States. Over three hundred thousand girls aged eleven to eighteen play USA volleyball, which is what is called club volleyball and played outside of high school. All right, now, back to Jordan talking about club ball back when she played.
Speaker 2: Back then, it was like you had like one age division and a second team and like that was it. Now they're like five or six deep and then like another actual like session for more athletes to play. I don't know, it's just been it's really really encouraging. And I also think the pro scene that's coming on is huge. It's just getting more eyeballs on a sport that we all love, so it's amazing, amazing to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and all the opportunity that's out there. I mean, were you at the Nebraska vulable Day. Yeah? Though, yeah, the world record? No oh, where were you? What was in Canada?
Speaker 2: We were playing for the national team, but we watched it. Yeah, me and Justine and some of the Nebraska girls were there as well. But unbelievably special. And I mean, gosh.
Speaker 1: What that did for women's sports.
Speaker 2: Like I had text from all of the world, my friends, and They're like, what's happening in Nebraska.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you know, it's just what we do. Just ninety thousand people I stayed in to watch college volleyball exactly.
Speaker 2: But people that were there said it was just absolutely moving and to happen where the place I grew up is even special.
Speaker 1: Could you have ever imagined that when you played? Oh my gosh, no, I remember even at that time.
Speaker 2: You know, Final four was like sixteen thousand, and that was huge, you know, and so like to even show that, but it just shows like anything is possible.
Speaker 1: And again, I think the wave of women's sports right now is huge.
Speaker 2: I mean, what Kaila Clark is doing on the women's basketball side, and it's really really cool. So I hope that people keep watching and just investing in us. It's really a privilege.
Speaker 1: Well, now you get to play here in the States, a founding athlete of love. Ohmah, I you know, how does it feel to actually be playing here now? Yeah? It's I don't know. We actually had a dinner.
Speaker 2: Our national team kind of got all back together, and everybody's saying like, I'm staying home. I'm staying home, Like it's so surreal. And I think all of us don't have to say goodbye. I think it's hard. You know, we all say goodbye for seven months and then we're coming back together and now it's like, huh, I'm going.
Speaker 1: To see you next weekend, you know. Like it's so it's so.
Speaker 2: Nice, and I know all of us are just so excited for our families and friends to be able to watch us in person. Then it's also going to take an adjustment, right, Like I think about family and friends only coming to major events like Olympic Games, and so the fact that they get to see me like live is huge. So I'm really excited, and especially in the Braska community, like.
Speaker 1: Fantastic and now that you're going to be able to play here in the States. What are you looking forward to doing, you know, other interests that you're helping to pursue while you're.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think just more diving deep in the community and how can we continue to gain access to high level, voiable and high level coaching. I think that now we have platforms and our continued to bring more platforms of like how to get more efficient with what we do and continue to grow the game, and so just diving more in the community and how I can help. I think that's really where my heart is and it's really cool to see that a lot of people just love the game and want to continue to grow the game. So I have a lot more coming on, but uh, we're going to kind of keep that at least off Olympics. Maybe if you can out some other things going on.
Speaker 1: So I know, I know right now, like I said at the beginning, you have had an amazing career. Your career is not done yet. But if you could give advice to your twelve year old self, what would it be?
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, I think the advice I would give to my twelve year old self would probably be just I think there was times that I allowed stress to kind of overcome me that it almost blinded me for other areas of where I could remain present. Like I would think I was so like you know when they're doing the horse free like Nugget dear Ros just like right the blinders right like. I feel like at times I was a lot like that versus opening myself up to other areas of how I can I mean, I was always looking to improve, but other ways of even connecting with teammates and doing that, I think more enjoyment of the process versus not so much outcome based.
Speaker 1: I think early on in my.
Speaker 2: Career I think would have changed even more the depths of love I have for the game.
Speaker 1: So I know I brought this up before that you've had an amazing career, but your career is not done yet. But you've seen the sport evolve from you know, two thousand and five to today. But where do you hope the sport goes in five ten years from now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just think obviously, I hope the love of the game and the states continues to grow and we can continue to have our girls stay home and continue to grow that. And I also think the speed is. I think we're playing a lot like the men play, and so I hope that we can continue to evolve that as well.
Speaker 1: So love it well, Thank you so much for being here at Jordan and Jeers Jeers Yeas. Serving Pancakes is an iHeart women's sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by League one Volleyball. I'm your host, Tiffany Oshinsky. Anya Oliverrez is our senior producer. Our executive producers are Carrie Stett, Tamara Daiki, and Lindsay Hoffman. Our marketing lead is Jawara Parker. Sound mixing by Max Lorenzen. Our theme music is Pancakes by Eric W. Mast Junior special thanks to Jordan Larsen. We'll be back the next few weeks to break down the matches that matter most at the twenty twenty four Paris Olympics. Get ready for some unfiltered analysis and authentic conversations about the sport itself and what it takes to stand on the podium. I'll be joined by prominent figures in women's volleyball. And women's sports as we dive deep into match plays, mindset, and memories from years past, and you can guarantee that pancakes will be on the menu. Stay tuned for what we serve up next.