Speaker 1: Welcome in What Try with Nick Right? Episode three forty six. This episode What Try with Nick Right is brought to you by boost Mobile. Fresh off vacation, enjoying some watching some Wimbledon, wearing my vintage Wimbledon shirt that I still never gone. But I wear this while I'm watching, I feel like I'm more into it. Also, Deman's, you know, I have a two piece, a nice little matching two piece outfit that I wear whenever I go to the US Open. That's guys playing tennis on It's just like cartoons of people playing tennis that I wear it. I your mom had it squirreled away in a giveaway backup clothes. She was like, you can't wear this again this year. You have your Wimbledon shirt. I'm like, I'm not wearing my Wimbledon shirt to the US Open. Do you know how ridiculous I would look. I'm wearing my tennis outfit, but there's so much No, it was for real. She was gonna get rid of it without telling me. A ton to do today. Great to see you, We got some good family time. Demanse was on our family vacation with us. We're back from Hawaii. My sleep schedules all screwed up. You guys don't care about that, so let's get right into it because we have a ton to do. We also have a three hour TV show Today shows from two to five right after soccer so on FS one, and there is a lot I want to discuss, not the least of which should be one of the funny what I think will be one of the funniest stories in the history of this show, and that has to do with what one of the hosts of the show came home to after a ten day vacation. So we will discuss all of that, but first, thanks to our friends at boost Mobile, we can bring you straight to voicemail, which is basically what we're not going to have time to get into today, which is the US loses to Mexico in the Gold Cup Final. Not great, they didn't play great. They could have won, but they didn't deserve to when Bronnie had a nice little highlight play in Summer League. And more importantly, I also think that Bronnie's quote about listen, there are guys in this league, then give you fifteen to twenty points. I'm not one of those guys right now. I'm not gonna be one of those guys that gonna have to make it work on defense. I thought that was a great quote. I also thought Bronni had a hilarious quote when they asked him about the rumors surrounding swirling around Lebron James and he's like, yeah, I try not to pay attention to that stuff, Like, Buddy, that is your dad, Like I would, I like it. I understand you're like, I don't want to comment on another teammate's business, but like you guys live in the same house. And then also do they live in the same house that you know what, I don't know the answer to that. Does Bronnie move out on his own? He might, he's got an NBA contract, Maybe he does. Probably, you know what. Again, I'll stay out of the young man's business. But if there's if there's anyone in the world that could all of a sudden be making a million and a half bucks on their own and the house that they can afford is a massive, massive downgrade from what they're used to living in, it might be Bronnie. So I maybe would you know, stay at home as long as I could. And Joey Chestnut when the hot Dog eating competition. This is a story. The producers love that. Every year I remind them I do not like Joey Chestnut. I am not interested in Joey Chestnut. And this little photoshop of me holding up Joey Chestnut's arm, actually I find offensive. But it's a mustard belt though I didn't even know that's what it was called the mustard belt that you know, you know, that's the problem with today's sports. It's you know, it's too much belt culture. All right, like rate, subscribe, review, and do give us some likes. I listen to my friends on poker Go. By the way, oh man, I do have an announcement coming up that I think I can make. I gotta clear it with everyone I think I can make on this podcast on Thursday, major announcement me and Poke and things going on. I have to make sure I'm okay to announce it. But on Thursday, we should do that. My point is my friends on poker Go, whenever they do a YouTube stream, they're like, slam that like button. Do the like button, give us the thumbs up. So I'm gonna do the same thing. Rate to the rate the podcast five stars. We would appreciate that and subscribe. Of course, all right, demanse, let's get right to it, and this first segment might be forty five minutes long.
Speaker 2: Let's see about it.
Speaker 3: So Lebron opted into his fifty two million dollar contract and then came the trade rumors. Rich Paul came out with a statement and said, Lebron knows the Lakers are building for the future. He understands that, but he values a realistic chance of winning it all. You thought that they were gonna come away with a center. They ended up getting DeAndre Hayden, who was a sinner. But something about this whole process has been peeing you off.
Speaker 2: Do you care to share with the audience?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So I have just been mystified at the comm a nation of misinformation, disingenuous commentary, and almost huffing and puffing from the media, Like, ah, I guess we're forced to talk about Lebron again. What the fuck else has happened in free agency? The Kevin Durant trade that all of us knew was coming, that we that we talked about. That that was awesome, that was exciting. Other than that, it's been the deadest free agent agency imaginable. One team had cap space it was the nets. They they decided to use it just to take other teams bad contracts. Shams was telling us a month ago this could be the craziest offseason ever. Nothing's happened other than the Durant move. The most notable move is Norman Powell getting traded to Miami. Norman Powell, who, by the way, oddly enough, the only time Norman Powell's been discussed on regularly on podcasts and TV shows aside from ones focused on the Clippers was a different Lebron James thing when people were like, oh, what did anyone think of Norman Powell and his all Star spot? If Lebron knew he wasn't gonna play and so but I but I'm listening to and reading folks basically be like, all right, I guess will feed the content and engagement monster and have the boring, tired discussion of could Lebron James be traded? You mean the greatest player of all time or you know what, to not argue with, folks, the at worst second greatest player of all time who's never been traded, who is open now potentially to being traded. That's a boring discussion. We'd rather talk about the Pacers losing Miles Turner because they don't want to pay the tax because Halliburton got hurt. That's what we'd rather talk about, Cam Whitmore for two second round picks, Like what are we doing? This is and it's not lost on me today, this very moment is the fifteen year anniversary. I didn't know that until I saw an article' writting about this morning. Today's the fifteen year anniversary of the decision, which means we've had fifteen years of enhanced more, round the clock, more, twelve month a year, three hundred and sixty five day NBA transaction interest, from player empowerment to the owners trying to wrestle it back, super Team's homegrown, all of it. It came because Lebron and MATV put together a TV show and changed the whole paradigm. And fifteen years later, he's still one of, if not the most interesting person in the league, and folks who cover the league for a living seem almost resentful that this is a story. So I don't understand that. But that's I guess a matter of taste. That's a personal preference, so be it. But then there is what I consider the outright misinformation might be too strong, especially in today's climate, but just misleading and incorrect. I guess opinions on Lebron's money and Lebron's value and Lebron's impact on winning, because here's what I know. Last year we played, we had an offseason. By the way, we're in the Olympics. They had a whole All the best players in the world came together in Paris to play a basketball tournament, and then they voted on who was the most valuable player in that tournament, and it was Lebron James. Now, I argued, you could have gone co MVPs because Lebron carried the team up until the final, and then Steph was so utterly brilliant in the semifinal and the final. If you want to split the baby, so be it. That's fine. But he won the MVP of that. Then this year, we had a whole NBA season, and then the entirety of basketball media voted on awards. And after this season, if your name was not shake Gilgess, Alexander Nikolejokic, Giannis Antena Kumpo, Jason Tatum, or Donovan Mitchell, basketball media said you were not as valuable as Lebron James. Those are the five guys that finished higher on MVA voting. Those are the five guys who received more First Team All NBA votes. That's the entire list, Not Steph, not Kauai, not Durant, not who's the younger guys that I'm leaving out, Not Kaid, not Halliburton in the regular season, he obviously came on huge in the postseason. None of those guys we had an awards. We had a season sixth most First Team All NBA votes, sixth most, sixth in the MVP voting. And the reason I bring that up is then the discussion around Lebron James make being the thirteenth highest paid player was well, doesn't Lebron understand that a huge impediment to winning is his salary? In what world? In what world is the leagues? I don't know. I'll be conservative eighth best player being the thirteenth highest paid player an impediment to winning. We just saw the Golden State Warriors trade for and then extend Jimmy Butler, and the narrative surrounding that is that open Steph's championship window. Jimmy Butler makes more money than Lebron and is worse than Lebron, they say it again, but no, I'm talking about the right now, the right now, because by the way, I would bet Lebron's got as many all NBA caliber seasons, more All NBA caliber seasons left in him than Jimmy Butler does. Jimmy Butler's done being an All NBA player, Lebron was last year, and Steph and Lebron probably have about the same amount of seasons left, give or take. And I'm talking about the here in the now. People thought that the Warriors made a great move giving Jimmy Butler that money, and it's a touch more than Lebron makes, and he's a worst player, great player, but a worst player. He like, in what universe is Lebron James making less than Karl Anthony Towns and the same as Paul George a bad contract, not a world where he was second team All NBA and sixth in MVP voting. So there's that piece of it that if you're the seventh or eighth best player in the sport and you're the thirteenth highest paid player in the sport, you're on a bargain contract, then there was this piece of it. Well, if he was really focused on winning, he should have taken less to help the Lakers, and that was that is a understandable opinion by fans and a just abhorred job by the media in perpetuating that because Lebron James, if he had cut his salary demonsey from fifty if he had opted out of the fifty two and said, you know what, I'll play for twenty you know how much cap space that opens up for the Los Angeles Lakers zero dollars, not a penny, because they're that far over the cap already. If Lebron James had said I'll go from fifty two million to the league minimum, it would have opened up roughly ten million dollars in cap space for the Lakers. Ten million bucks. So this idea that the Lakers could have been these major players in free agency if Lebron had simply taken a discount is belied by just the facts. And it's also it's also a and we all know this is true, a disingenuous discussion because had Lebron, let's say, Lebron opted out and said I'm going to be a free agent, and guess what guys, I'm gonna play for the minimum. The entire conversation would be about stacking the deck, unfair, faking like that. So there was him simply saying, I don't know. I'm the thirteenth igh is paid guy in the league. I'm probably pretty underpaid. And that's even before you consider all of the off court stuff that I bring to the table. So yeah, I'll just play for my fifty million? Is more? Been totally reasonable? Was there? Like?
Speaker 3: So you have to but he opted into the contract? Like what would have his other options have been?
Speaker 1: He could have opted out and been a free agent. He could have opted out and been a free agent and signed anywhere for the literally anywhere for the league minimum and leave fifty million on the table or a lot of places for the mid level, which is about fourteen million bucks. And the only team that could have signed him for more than fourteen million dollars would have been the Nets, which would have made no sense. So those were go ahead?
Speaker 2: And why did he not do that?
Speaker 3: Are you saying like, because he thought the Lakers are going to do a better job with secure and a better.
Speaker 1: I think it's a I don't think there is a perfect solution here for you know what, they're trying to accomplish all these things. And I'm a big believer of you can't have everything you want in life, and sometimes, like you, you know, you have to make trade offs. I'm not sitting here arguing that the Lakers owe him something more than they owe Luca, which is to try to win a damn championship this season. And I'll get to the Lakers piece of it in a minute. I'm not saying that there is a perfect solution for what he's trying to accomplish. What I'm saying is the narrative that a huge impediment to winning is you know, when you pay a player way more than he's worth, that's gonna hurt you, like the example of people uses you know, Kobe at the end when Lebron was according to NBA voters, which I am not was the sixth best player in the league LAFTXT year. So that part is to me just erroneous. Then there is the Okay, you've made over a billion dollars, you want the Lakers to be more competitive, take less money Dirk style and give them flexibility. When you look at it that him taking less money would not have given them any flexibility. And then there is this other part of it which I mentioned on TV yesterday, and it was the way it was captioned made it seem like more of a shot at Durant than I wanted it to be. But I said what I said, which was and this is the part to me demans that I find. No one can explain this to me correctly, nobody. Do who do you think right right now this moment? And there's no wrong answer here to Mon's You might disagree with me. Who do you think right now this moment is better Durant or Lebron? And do you think it's close in either direction?
Speaker 2: Offensively, I'd say Kevin Durant.
Speaker 3: But as far as a better player, the better players like just yeah, better all around, I'd have to give it to Lebron. But it's either way, it's pretty close, probably, yeah, exactly, the like if one guy's the eighth best player in the league, the other guy's the tenth best player in the league or nine to twelve or whatever.
Speaker 1: Right, So I and despite the age, I think we can agree that Lebron is the more durable player has been like you know what I mean? Lebron is less likely to miss thirty games with an injury. That's just that's not a matter of opinion. We just we just know it. Okay. So here's what I don't understand. Kevin Durant was available for trade and the media lost its mind. Who should go after him? These are the teams Durant doesn't want, the Minnesota Should Minnesota trade for him? Anyway? If you trade for him, do you just do you want to just give him a contract? The Rockets were the two seed, gave up their leading scorer, a valuable defender who I don't like in Dylan Brooks, and the tenth pick of the draft, and everyone's reaction was like, what a great job by the Rockets, they might win the title. A guy who at the very least is as good as Durant and I think a touch better is available potentially, and the same media is like, who fucking want him? I mean, really, it doesn't make any sense. That's what I don't understand. Like last year, last year, Lebron was better than Steph. They are similar Lebron's older, but again like a kind of similar port places in their career. Steph's team was in twenty four and twenty five when they traded for Jimmy Butler, you felt like it made them contenders. They lost to the Timberwolves and five in the playoffs. Lebron's team was hanging on to the three four seed. They trade for Luca, you felt like it made them contenders. They lost to the Timberwolves in five in the playoffs. That's like they had after very similar Olympics, very similar seasons. They Lebron finished higher an MVP and all NBA voting, but it was very close. Right If Steph Curry had released a statement like I don't know about the future of the Warriors and people thought he might be available, it would be a full stop freakout about what teams should package, what things to try to get him. And we just saw it happened with Durant when last year Lebron was better than both those guys, and the collective reaction is, well, I guess maybe maybe a team or two should make a courtesy call and a collective eye roll of I can't believe we're having this discussion. Has everyone lost their mind? Like if you if you are the New York Knicks right now in a wide open Eastern Conference and you just hired Mike Brown, who has I don't know, been to a finals with Lebron. You're not having a very long meeting about well, Carl Anthony towns for Lebron James and how that works and then calling the Lakers and seeing if they're interested and the towns for Lebron thing demonse. Here is the pros and the cons of it. The cons for the Knicks obviously are guys ten years older than the other that's con number one, right, your team dynamic changes considerably, that's potentially potentially con number two. The pros, in my opinion are, oddly, by adding a guy in year twenty three, a forty guy who's going to be forty one, you actually get better defensively for two reasons. What is it's more Mitchell Robinson minutes instead of Towns, so that definitively, you know, that helps you a lot defensively. But also, as Lebron showed last year once they got Luca, if he's not the primary offensive creator, he still has the ability to be a good, not great defender like he once was, but good defender if that's where he can put his energy. The other sneaky pro for the Knicks is do they actually want to move towns before he's he wants this next mega extension when they traded all those picks for bridges and you're gonna have to extend him and you've already extended og and you're obviously in the Jalen Brunson business like does the fact that Lebron would be short term act? Is that actually a positive because you don't want to, you know, have the big money it's associated with Karl Anthony Towns when there are I think legitimate, real concerns of if our two best players are bruntsing in towns, are we good enough defensively ever to win four rounds? I think those are all real, legitimate discussions. And then it's like, right now, this moment, as crazy as this is, because he's gonna be in your twenty three, But is Lebron better than Karl Anthony Towns? My answer to that question is yes. If you feel differently than you, don't make this trick. But if you think the answer is yes, does the twenty twenty five twenty twenty six season have more value than future seasons have? Let me rephrase it, does it have oddly what's the right word I'll just say it though, instead of trying to say what I was trying to say exactly, I'll just explain it. Because the East is so ripped away due to injuries, does getting ten percent better for this upcoming season matter more than it would in normal years? Because it's like, man, the Celtics are off the chess board, the Pacers are off the chess board. The Bucks don't know where they are on the chessboard. We're already the favorites in the conference. We haven't won a championship in fifty two years. What if we go for it? It certainly is a worthy, legitimate conversation, just like it now. I wouldn't necessarily want this if I were Lebron, But you know another team, Demons that should at least discuss it, Golden State Jimmy for Lebron. The Lakers get younger, and add you know a guy who doesn't need the ball at all, a guy who's you know, more about intangibles and devons and stuff like that at this point of his career, and you put Stephan Lebron together and be like, all right, you know, let's see, like, now, if I were Lebron, that's not that interesting to me because I actually think the position he's in right like Luca, I feel is better than Steph and so at this point, and so I don't think that Golden State would be a you know that you'd be in a better position to win, But go ahead.
Speaker 3: Right with all this stuff going on, like what about Luca, who has like the player option next year? And also like and how likely do you even think that it's that it is that Lebron will be traded what team?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think it's I don't. I don't think it's likely, but I don't at all think it's fantasy at this point. That's the first point. The second point is and I tried to be very and I will again try to be very cautious about how I were of this, And this is this is a good reason right here to like, rate, subscribe, review, to check out the podcast, because this little piece right here we also won't, like, you know, specifically push out on its own on socials because I don't I I don't want this to be aggregated incorrectly. But I told you guys two weeks ago that I thought and this was what I would call very in a very informed opinion that these finals specifically were difficult. Not being in the tournament late into this tournament had not sat well with Lebron at all, and that the itch to have one more run was as strong as ever. And I said that then I went on vacation, and then surely thereafter Rich Paul released that statement and it felt very in line with what I knew to be true, which was Lebron is not saying I can't win with the Lakers. What Lebron is saying is if your focus is not winning right now, then were not a great fit anymore. And that's reasonable.
Speaker 3: Why do you come out and say that, you know, after Lebron, Well, I.
Speaker 1: Think there's two reasons. So I think there were two reasons. One was to put I think there were potentially two positive outcomes. One was shake the trees of the league to see if a team like the Knicks did want to inquire about his availability. The other one was to try to shake Rob Blinka into being aggressive. And when I saw Dave mcminnimon report that the Lakers are focused on having max cap space in twenty twenty seven, I I wanted to throw my phone that forget Lebron you're at next year, you're gonna have twenty seven year old Luke ad Ancic, who by the way, has not signed an extension yet. You know when your window is right now every year, and and I just I also I've also heard the be like, well, listen, if Luke and Lebron aren't good enough to win a title, then how much of that is on Luke and Lebron? And the answer to that is yes and no, because this is how I felt at times when I was frustrated with the Lakers when Ad was still there, when it's like, okay, if it were a two on two tournament, would the Lakers when it was Lebron and Ad and the rest of that mismashed supporting cast, would they have a better chance of winning the NBA title if the league were set up as it is right now, if it were two on two? And I felt for a number of those years probably two on two, like their top two guys against anybody else's top two guys. Take your chance, And it's the supporting cast that is not, especially in the new NBA with a weak link era, where you know where you need five legitimate guys. And that's how I feel right now if it weren't two on if for Lebron and Luca against Yokichen Murray and I guess Giannis and Miles Turner now, which would be an awkward two on two game. And step and Jimmy and Brunton and Karl Anthony Towns. I like their change. I like, you know what, I like the Lakers chances Katie and shongoon Ooh, that'd be fun, but it's not that, and so rounding out the rest of the roster. And by the way, I don't hate the eight and move. I've never liked Dayton and Demons. If you remember, I don't know if you saw it sidebar from all the the Betroun stuff. Okay, I'm so glad you remembered. So a year ago. Two years ago, however, long ago. DeAndre Aiden got traded to the Portland Trailblazers and played terribly at the start.
Speaker 2: Of the year.
Speaker 1: And then he did an interview and one of the things he said was, yeah, like, you know, everything's been off, including I've been sleeping on an air mattress. And I said to Demons, and I don't know if he thought I was being unfair or not, that that right there that one statement is such an indictment on Aten's professionalism and maturity that it's not acceptable when you're a professional athlete who's been paid, who was on a near max contract to be like, well, shit, my bed hasn't been delivered, So I guess for six weeks as a seven foot tall NBA center, I'm gonna sleep on an air mattress, which is not acceptable. It's not it's no, it would, it's it's in the same like you just can't happen.
Speaker 2: What do you do in that situation? You like sleep in a hotel room or you No, you haven't. You could have got a bed expedited, is what you're saying.
Speaker 1: It's like you can get it. I could get I could get if you're it right now, Like the nicest bed at mattress Firm. No free ads, but I'll just shout them out, the nicest bed, all of it. It's like they're expensive, that it's gonna be expensive, like twelve fifteen thousand dollars. If you call Mattress whatever bed company X Mattress firm, if you'd like more of these plugs, you need to talk to our sales department and be like, hey, what's the biggest, nicest bed you have in stock? Okay, how much does it cost? Okay? All right, listen. What's your name? Marcus? All right, Marcus, how are you doing today? Today's your lucky day because you answered the phone. Here's the deal. I need that bed or a facsimile of it at my house by the end of the day. I do not care what you have to do for it. Here's the deal. I'm gonna give you my credit card, you pay whatever extra fees there are, and when it gets done, I'm having someone come down to the store and give you five thousand dollars cash. Call me back in a half hour and let me know how it's happening. That would get done and you pay a five thousand dollars I need my bed now tax and you don't, and you have a good NBA season. So pointise, I said, that guy's not to be taken, not to be trusted. He had traded for the Blazers and the reports are, oh my god, this guy. He's late for meetings, he missed his treatment. He's a pain in the ass. I'm like, yeah, you know how I knew to be sleeping on an air mattress That's how I knew. It's just I mean, and so you have all that said. With all that said, I don't for eight million bucks, he's worth a flyer. I've never been a DeAndre Ayton guy, but he's worth a flyer. There are other moves I would have liked more, but worth a flyer. I just think I think the Lakers man, Rob Blink has never been good at this job. And I understand he was the in that analogy. I just made Marcus the mattress salesperson who a guy called him up and was like, Hey, Lucky Day, I'm gonna buy your best bet and give you five thousand dollars tip for your trouble. He was the Marcus in that analogy, and the guy calling him was Nico Harrison, and instead of five thousand dollars, he offered him Luka Doncic. But that didn't make Marcus the world's greatest mattress salesperson, and that didn't make Rob Blinka great GM. It was just like, ah shit, lucky Day. And so I think alienating Dorian Finney Smith when Luca loves him and Luca hasn't signed his extension yet, is worrisome. It's not nothing, I and so I would I just I don't think the Lakers are drawing dead. I don't think they are. They have put themselves in the best position. And if they don't want to contend this year, if they're like no, And by the way, it also doesn't like I don't know why Rob Blinka would be trying to save cap space for twenty twenty seven. Rob, You're not going to be in charge in twenty twenty seven, buddy. Those new owners are going to survey the landscape and be like, so, where they're inefficiencies in this league? Oh, unlimited budget on front offices, coaching staffs, trainers, scouts, those types of things, no salary cap there, Well, what if we upgraded at that spot? And so I just that there it is. I said it might be forty minutes, it was thirty that That's my Lakers, Lebron ram I helpe. You all enjoyed it, Uh, I have a less I have one. I'm almost as passionate about football wise that we're going to do in a second. But first I got to remind you guys, for the first time ever, we have a full blown all women's boxing mega event, and it's going down right here in New York City. Two title fights, same night, And if you're like me and love the action, DraftKings Sportsbook is where it's where it's at. Katie Taylor versus Amanda Serrano, the Trilogy fight. It's the third one between them, absolute legends. Katie's putting her super lightweight belt on the line, and you know Serrano's gonna bring the heat. Don't sleep though. On the co main Alisha the Bomb Bomb Gardner. I love that explosive Bowers taking on the undefeated wv WBA interim champ Jennifer Miranda. That one's gonna be fireworks. If you've never bet with DraftKings, super easy pick you think's gonna win? Yeah, betting again, you know, gamble responsibly, all that type of stuff, But betting boxing is pretty straightforward if you just want to bet a straight winner. It really is that easy. Check this out. If you knew DraftKings, throw down five bucks, boom, one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets, instantly, bet five dollars, get one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets instantly Again. Katie Taylor versus Amanda Serrano in the trilogy fight and then also comain event Alisha the Bomb Bomb Gardner against Jennifer Miranda. Download the DraftKings sportsbook app right now use promo code right WRIGHD that's code right for new customers to get one hundred pre of dollars in bonus bets instantly and you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 4: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight hope and wire text ope and wy AT four six seven three six nine In Connecticut. Help is available for a problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven, or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of boothilk A Cinnamin resorting Kansas twenty one on over agent Eligibility varies by jurisdiction VOYD and Ontario. Bet must win to receive reward minimum minus five hundred odds required. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issue ins four. Additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNG dot co slash audio.
Speaker 1: All right demands Before we get to what hopefully is one of the why not hopefully what I think will be one of the funniest stories we've ever told on the show. I do want to talk a little bit about Patrick Mahomes first show back, gone for ten days. Two things happened while I was on vacation.
Speaker 2: Guys, I was attacked.
Speaker 1: I was just walking around, walking the beach, listening to things on trying to I didn't really I wasn't on Twitter much. I read three books, I did the New York Times Crossword every day. But then i'd walk the beach and you know, listen to things. And I just heard the worst takes and they were centered around my two guys, Lebron James and Patrick Mahomes. So let's get to the Mahomes piece of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Mahomes wants to get past that Super Bowl loss and get that nasty taste out of his mouth, and he's it's also getting tired of all the talk, saying that he wants to just settle all this on the football field. Yeah, this is another thing that really annoyed you. Which I'm curious what the angle is here, what pgoff?
Speaker 1: Well, it's not, no, no, no. His comments didn't annoy me me last week, which was so here's the deal. If someone wants to have the courage to come out and be like, you know what, you know, here's a take, free take for someone who wants it. Okay, Like it's just sometimes sometimes I'm disappointed in uh my industry because there are these I can see these. I'm like, oh, that would be a good take. I don't believe it. But no one has made had this take, and it's right there, and I know it would cut through the noise and you could establish yourself with it, and no one, no one, no one has said it. Now, I don't believe this. This is not my take. So consider this like the sports take version of developing some type of vaccine or cure for something and be like, we're not patenting it. Anyone can copy it free for the world public use. Here's a take. The last few years, Patrick Mahomes has pretty clearly not been judged based on his numbers. He's been judged based on the fact that his team wins, that he is a leader, that he plays his best in the biggest spots, and that is how he has held on too the best quarterback alive Moniker, despite the fact that his two biggest conference rivals Josh Allen Lamar Jackson have both won league and vps in this time and if that has allowed Mahomes to climb to the top of the quarterback mountain, then the exact same standard should be used to evaluate Jalen Hurts and Jalen Hurts. Who's never missed the playoffs, whose team wins double digit games every year, who's been to two Super Bowls, been awesome in both. Some would argue outplayed Mahomes in both, certainly in this last one, and has done it with what you know, let's call it, a polarizing coach and a polarizing receiver in a tough city and now is coming off off you know, leading an offense to damn near a one hundred points combined in the conference championship game in the Super Bowl and puts his body on the line, doesn't care about his passing numbers for the most unstoppable play in football. That player the defending Super Bowl MVP. He's the best quarterback alive. End of take. That take is again, I do not believe it, but it doesn't have a ton of logical holes if someone wanted to have it. Instead, these dopes want to knock Mahomes off his perch a best quarterback in the league, and they are doing it for one of three quarterbacks, really one of two and mostly one of just one who's never once out played him in a big spot. It's the majority of quarterback rankings lists right now have Josh Allen number one, which is hilarious and indefensible, and it is not an allowable take until one time in a spot that matters. It's not a quarterback wins thing. He outplays Patrick, and the last two years, one in his building, one in the Chiefs building. He's had the ball in his hands, chance to go do it, and it couldn't get forty yards either time, so that's not allowed. Lamar can win every MVP from here until retirement, and until he wins a single big game, it's obviously not allowed. And Joe Burrow had outplayed Patrick in a big spot, had a chance to really put a stake in the heart of the Chiefs through fourth quarter interception the conference championship game lost and has n't been back to the playoffs since. And the amount of people trying to argue any one of those three guys has ascended past Patrick. Because Patrick got beat by Jalen arts and they played more than the Super Bowl. It's the dumbest shit I've ever heard. You then combine it with this whole ooh to the Chiefs era over based on what that they were just the second best team in football last year, based on the fact that they just completed the best three years stretch in the history of the league and are tied for the best five and seven year stretches in the history of the league. What is the what is the piece of evidence you have like, oh, this might be the Broncos or Chargers year. There is none, And so the again, the Eagles have bragging rights, and Jalen Hurts has bragging rights, And the Eagles have it because they want as a team, and Jalen Hurts has it because individually he played, you know, he was the best quarterback on the field that Sunday. But these AFC also rans that are being elevated because of what I just I can't. I can't deal with just one time at one time? Can I just see? It's what I said to that guy in Hawaii, the guy I'm walking, I'm walking with the family down the boardwalk in Honolulu, and this guy walks up to me, and he's like, amen, this is Bill's country out here in my head. I'm like, no, it's fucking not, man, it's actually I'm not sure there's a place in the United States that is that is further removed literally geographically but also spiritually from Buffalo, New York as the boardwalk in Honolulu. Like, first of all, it's just a bad take. Second of all, get a life.
Speaker 2: But I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't say I didn't say any of that. I'm like, okay, nice. I mean, like five minutes later, he runs me down and was like, hey, man, I'm so sorry I said that. Can I please get a picture? And I'm like sure, so I take the picture. He's like, yeah, man, thanks, sorry about that. I'm like sor right. But then I couldn't resist because I was like, I'm with my wife and kids like. So I was like, I was like, hey and listen, man, one day you'll win a big game. And I saw a look on his face and it's stung. You know why. It's stung the same reason why when people put up that picture of me and Mahomes a couple parades ago, where I'm smiling and my nose is casting a shadow on my teeth. It stings because I know it's true. I'm like, damn, like that is weird. That is like a thing that most people like it shouldn't be physically possible, or it does cast a shadow like that sucks. But that's why it stung him, because he knows it's true, and so I just don't. But I it is. It's really beyond dumb to me the every other let me add one other thing. And I said this to Cowherd and he just laughed because he knew I was right, not just like this year, but basically for all of modern NFL history. If there is a team in a division that everyone agrees the same team has the division's best quarterback and the division's best coach, that team will be the pick to win that division. If there's no debate, like it's just like so, I'll give you an example. N FC West, there's a debate is McVeigh or Shanahan the best coach? And I guess for some there might be a debate is perty or Stafford the best quarterback? Not to me, but what like there's it's not often there that it is crystal clear on both, but when it is, uh, that team is everyone's picked to win the division and the amount of people this year that are gonna pick fucking bon Nicks, sorry for all the curse words today to win that division. Or Justin Herbert, who again, I don't I don't know if he's won a big game since high school, and I have to look at the high school. I don't think he did it Oregon. I it's just it's just dumb, you know what. I just I just.
Speaker 2: People get fickle with the greatness.
Speaker 3: I don't know if people just don't sometimes you know, if you.
Speaker 1: Heard it, but they think we have the next Trent Williams and Johsh Simmons. Oh boy, oh boy, Now that might be a little strong. Trent Williams one of the greatest players of all time. But if they just if Josh Simmons just ends up being the tenth best tackle left tackle in the league slightly above average, it is such a I mean, Mahome has been to five Super Bowls. You had a different starting left tackle in all five, it would be just such a massive, massive.
Speaker 2: Wors line situation. Yet right.
Speaker 1: Course of the no, the thing is what's weird is the Chiefs had a really good guard center guard oh line this year. The tackle it was the worst tackle play he's had, and a previous they had been bat up in the middle, but good of the like and so it got really shaky by the end of it. All right, real quick, this is a message that applies to ninety nine percent of you listening right now, because that's how many of you can be covered by fast and reliable service on the Boost Mobile network with ninety nine percent nationwide coverage. And if you don't think you deserve a deal, listen up. You gotta other thing coming right now. When you switch to boost Mobile, you can get iPhone fifteen with dynamic island and forty eight megapixel main camera for ninety nine ninety nine. That's ninety nine dollars and ninety nine cents for iPhone fifteen on a nationwide five G network. This may only apply to ninety nine percent of you, but I'm one hundred percent positive Boost Mobile just gave all of us a really good freaking deal in store off for thirty dollars device set. A fee may apply, requires credit qualification, ID verification and activation on six dollars plans. Taxes, extra five G speeds not available in all areas. All right, Demanse, we you how should we do this? Uh? Yeah, you know what. It's time. It's time for the snake pit. So here what a what an amazing image? All right? I mean there is actually some real if we think about it, we that's actually again the producers do a great job. And I'm rude, but narratively it doesn't really make sense that demands, a lover and breeder of snakes would be wearing a snakeskin suit. That's right, that's kind of I mean, that's kind of sacrilegious. So again maybe maybe a slight just again, if you're watching on YouTube, you see it. It looks cool. But okay, the all right, so I want to give can I give the setup here? Do you care? Do you mind?
Speaker 2: I kind of lay the foundation of the sea.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna because as my dad used to say, you ask Nick what time it is, he's going to tell you how the watch was made. I am going to give a full background here. Demanse for a couple of years has been trying to figure out can I successfully breed these exotic snakes? And put a lot of time and a lot of money and a lot of time learning into Can I figure this out on my own? Can I go to enough shows and read enough forums and you know, correct me by the way if anything I'm saying is wrong. And there have been more than a couple times where Demanse has asked or told me or mom or my mom, actually, who seems to be your snake? Confident my mother? You know what? I might give up? I might you know, I might just keep you know, you know, one pet snake because I but I, I've spent so much money and so much time, it's so frustrating. And a month ago he was on the verge of another one of those I don't think it's is worth all the time and effort. And literally two days later, six eggs show up in the check what's the tank with the mother snake? And then there is some real and I really I totally empathized, and I took it totally serious. But it also was like charming, some real anxiety surrounding every single decision Demonse was making from their forward because it was all right, I could leave the snakes in there, the eggs with the mother snake, but they the better chances of success if I put him in an incubator. I have a guy who will do the incubating for me. Oh man, I actually want them in my house. But then I've already given them to him. Now I have to buy an incubator. Now I have to transfer them again. Am I doing so all of this? And then there is the realization, Oh no, I'm about to be out of town for ten days and the eggs are back in my house. I'm sure there was some real thought on, you know, should I have just left it with these people until I get back. What if there's a power outage, all these things, all of that, But all of it seemly was fine. You got them back, the incubator worked, it was set up. You sprayed them for mold. I guess you did all those things you had to do, except for one small part, which didn't really have anything to do with the age. Had more to do with the other snakes. And there I'll let you take over the story with I might add a bit on my own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they let me down.
Speaker 3: I've got like five five grownish snakes or whatever, and I was trying to feed a rat.
Speaker 2: I brought in two or three rats.
Speaker 3: Two of them got taken trying to feed this last one to one of the other hungry snakes. They didn't need it, so I put it back in the box. I was plan to overturning it to the store. That's just how I do it. I go back and get a little store credit for whatever size rat it was.
Speaker 1: And so let me add something there that is that's that's tell me if I'm wrong, less of a you're trying to get the twelve bucks or whatever out of my apartment. It right, and not just release it or kill it on your own or whatever.
Speaker 4: It right.
Speaker 1: And there's a humane piece of it as well. Yes, So okay, so you bought three rats. Two of the snakes ate them, one wasn't eaten. You put it back in the box. This is last before we leave for vacation. All right, go ahead, keep going.
Speaker 2: So put the rat back in the box. And you know, I'm a.
Speaker 3: Late packer as well, Like I probably started packing like Thursday, so like just got a lot of stuff on mind. I think it was when I got to Sacramento that I realized that I left this rat inside of the box. And it was just super super stressful for a couple of reasons. But yeah, and then I didn't have my my homie go over there and check it into about two days after that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is so this is if I can jump in for a second. So I realize Sunday something is a miss because Demanse's like on the phone about yeah, and I'm like, I'm like, so something's going on. And then he tells me what the deal is. And one of the first things he says is don't rats too wires or rats to wires. So demand has created a vision in his head where this rat has chewed its way out of this box and then has eaten.
Speaker 5: Has somebody kicked the wires in the apartment, the power cord for the incubator, and so now he I'm listening to him call the apartment get authorization for someone to be let into his apartment.
Speaker 1: But that person's not going to be there till Monday now, So okay, So now Monday comes around, your buddy gets your apartment and tell me, you know.
Speaker 2: It's bad news.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they they will sit in there for a little bit. Like there's been times where I have had to keep them in there overnight, and like if I hear them biting at the box or whatever, I'll go over there, and I'll nudget like I'll push it like a little aggressively to where they like they'll calm down and they won't be trying to get out there, like I don't want to go out to what's out there? Yeah and yeah, So Tara gets there and I can tell when he first gets over to the box that the rat is definitely not in there because he's tapping on it and he doesn't hear any like squirming or anything inside of it.
Speaker 2: And the rat had.
Speaker 3: Eight and eaten out of the bottom the bottom bottom of the box and had been out and I had tark look it was nowhere to be found, nowhere.
Speaker 2: To be found.
Speaker 3: He thought that he was. He thought that he was hearing it behind the oven. I asked him to pull the oven out a little bit. He seemed like halfway uncomfortab with like like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, of course, having to search your apartment for a loose rat. Your buddy doesn't think that, like potentially that this favor could end with him needing raby shots. Then then then Demanse, I want to add this part again because at his core, Demanse is an animal lover. One of the reasons like Demonse has talked to me about, you know, the the pushing the pull of the snake, of the breeding snakes, is that some sadness associated with feeding them. And even though that's like literal nature, just buying an hand, like picking out this animal that's now gonna die, like having real quombra. So Demanse has his friend leave up a saucer of water for this rat, so which honestly I suggested. It was like have him go get the white and some poison and put your and and be put at ease. And I was like, no that I think the exact quote was the rat didn't do anything wrong. Now now it's Monday again, it's Monday, Demanday's not going to be back in this apartment until late Sunday night, and is trying to, I guess, create a sustainable environment for this rats. Yeah, shut all the doors and so that then sets us up to around midnight, LA time, Sunday night when you come home. And this part of the story I don't know.
Speaker 2: So go ahead, man.
Speaker 3: I opened the door and it's like you just knew that there was a dead rat inside of it, Like you just knew there was no way the rat was alive.
Speaker 1: The smell.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I swept and mocked my floor like really good right before I left, And there was no remnants of pine sal because it smelled like pine sal when I'm left, and like obviously I hadn't been in there the whole time. Yeah, and it smelt like death, Like it was just smelt like death. And I walked around. I go in and I turn over to my dishwasher and there's the rat on the ground dead. But like the tricky part was it looked like it was just it was dead for a couple of days, two or three days.
Speaker 2: I'd go to pick it up.
Speaker 3: And there were fifty maggots magnet like fifty maggots just right under it. And I I sprayed those things with TILEX like that those animals I don't love.
Speaker 2: I stomped on them. Yeah, I was. It was.
Speaker 3: It was honestly the most disgusting thing that I've seen in a really long time. Like it's I felt bad for sending it to the like I thought about deleting it, but.
Speaker 1: We are on an even longer flight. So demand's flight from Honolulu in hour flight from Honolulu left oddly within five minutes of each other, he's flying La, We're flying New York. So this all happens four hours later we land and in the group chat is a video that is just horrifying of Demond the kitchen floor and that so so Mary in the chat says, that apartment to the maggots house.
Speaker 3: Well, it's you just know they were only there for the rat, So like, I don't have any any thought that, like they're going to infest my apartment. But it is crazy how many there were, Like I don't know how long it was dead there, but I just think it's insane how that type of stuff finds this way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like fruit flies, Like I don't believe.
Speaker 2: It's strange.
Speaker 1: But most importantly, as Vic asks.
Speaker 3: The eggs, yes, Victor, the eggs are perfect.
Speaker 2: I will not know anything for sure for another like two weeks. But like the big.
Speaker 3: Things that could have happened over that week that I was gone did not happen, like that stuff would be very obvious. But there's still like two weeks where you still see if they're really for me.
Speaker 1: But but the power never went out. The rat didn't chew.
Speaker 3: The cord, and that was like a real thought of mine, Like I was like, dude, he's gonna get out there and you start biting the wires. I had him put my freaking controller charge up from my PlayStation, which was like, dude, I don't need any wires.
Speaker 2: On the ground.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, well there's that. All right. Everything else we're gonna get to on Thursday. I gotta go to work. That was that story over delivered listener questions. Let me let me get to these real quick. Producers want you to weigh in on the Joey chest Numb versus Usain Bolt debate, who could eat a hot dog and run one hundred meters faster? Must swallow hot dog before starting to run? I oddly think so you understand the idea. What the question here is, Demansey, The question is this is the contest. The contest is you must eat a hot dog and then run one hundred meters.
Speaker 3: Because Joey Chestnut was just doing. But then you saying Bolt would like eat it like an axtual hot dog.
Speaker 2: I think the.
Speaker 1: Answer either way, Yeah, I understand. I think the answer oddly is I think Chessnut's a big favorite in that. Yeah, because you know a half what can a regular human being run the one hundred in fifteen seconds, like you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So like the it's gonna take you, saying bolt like for seconds to eat that hot dog at least for.
Speaker 1: If not more, if you have to swallow the whole thing. If not, right, do we have an update on your ball boy? Try up for the US Open this year? Not trying out this year? I'll be traveling sadly. What are your book recommendations?
Speaker 2: Listen, it's gonna sound funny, but yeah, this is.
Speaker 1: Gonna sound funny. But I so as part of my you know, eternal quest to always be a better parent for the next kid than I was to the previous kid, I am fully, I am. I decided to do my daughter, my youngest daughter's summer reading with her this year, and so her summer reading book was The Hunger Games, which I've never seen the movie, never had no familiarity with. So I brought the Hunger Games book with me, and then we bought the trilogy. There's three of them for each of us in case we liked them, and she and I were supposed to read, like, you know, alongside each other so we could discuss it or whatever. And I brought with me the second Hunger Games Book because I was like, ah, these you know, it's kid's book. Still long, it's like four hundred pages. But if I finish it and I like it, maybe I'll want to read the other one. I finished the first Hunger Games book a day into vacation, finished the second one early enough into vacation that I had time to go on Amazon order the third one to the hotel we were staying at. That I got upon arrival at the Hope, because we've stayed in multiple places upon check in was waiting for me and read that one too. And I gotta tell you, great thousand pages those three books. Thoroughly enjoyed it, excited to watch the movies. Now I thoroughly enjoyed it now Again. The idea was to be able to discuss them with Deanna. But Deanna's forty pages in and so there's the like she really needs to catch up and then read a bunch more. But but so there's you know, there's my answer, all right, like rate subscribe review, Great job, Blue Duck Volume, DraftKings Boost, great job to Mind, not a great job by that rat. Talk to you guys on Thursdays. See you guys, Early show Today on first things. First, two o'clock, what's right