Speaker 1: When you've got that voice telling you you're no good. Who do you think you are? And you're not pretty and people are going to make fun of you, you start to really listen to that voice. When you voice your fear, the fear actually ends up being less. Why is it that if you name something, you feel.
Speaker 2: Better about it, Because most of.
Speaker 1: Us we want to stop feeling the ego. We want to pretend it doesn't exist, we want to villainize it.
Speaker 2: But what if it be freaking superpower?
Speaker 3: I'm Radley d Wlukiah and on my podcast A Really Good Cry, we embrace the messy and the beautiful, providing a space for raw, unfiltered conversations that celebrate vulnerability and allow you to tune in to learn, connect and find comfort together.
Speaker 4: Okay, Hi, Lisa?
Speaker 2: What I holpi?
Speaker 3: Lisa Billiu is in the building people, and before we get started, I need to tell you the story of one how we met and two what she represents for me in my life.
Speaker 4: First of all, thank you for being here, Thanks for having me so grateful.
Speaker 3: Lisa is the person who well, let me just start off by saying she has a book out called Radical Confidence and the reason I'm mentioning this first off is because she is somebody who I don't know whether you know this. I think I've told this day in the past, but inspired and pushed me to actually become more confident in my life from the moment that I met her, And it was.
Speaker 4: The first podcast. Her podcast was the first podcast.
Speaker 3: I ever went on. It's called Women of Impact. And when she first asked me to be on it, we had become friends. We were meeting up regularly, hanging out, and she asked me to come on the podcast. And I was like, why would I come on your podcast?
Speaker 4: Like for what reason?
Speaker 3: What would I talk about? What would we talk about? And you said, you know, it's going to be conversational. We're just going to have a conversation, just like we're having now while we're having coffee. And I remember the day of I was honestly going to call her and be like, I cannot come. I'm ill, there's something wrong with me. There's no way I'm making it to your podcast. But you have been from the moment I met you such an incredible hype woman, and like you exude did so much confidence from the moment I met you that it you know how they say, the energy that you.
Speaker 4: Carry you can pour into other people.
Speaker 3: You did that to me, and so somehow from all the words of encouragement you gave me, I ended up coming onto that podcast. And let me tell you, that podcast not only did it open up so much in me and gave me the confidence to realize what I had within me, the amount of people still to this day that come up to me and tell me that they cried with me in the podcast, that it helped them go through so much of what they were going through and gave them hope for the future, purely because Lisa believed in me before I believed in myself and gave me the platform an opportunity to prove to myself that I could do something that I wasn't comfortable doing.
Speaker 4: So thank you for that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. I mean, here's the thing. I just saw you. I know I saw you, and when.
Speaker 1: You're not in that person's head, I don't carry the insecurities you carry. So I just see this very bubbly, sweet, kind in intellectual, driven, ambitious like friend, and so I didn't carry all the insecurities that you carry.
Speaker 2: So when I asked you to come on my show, I was like, of.
Speaker 1: Course you should come wat. You need to teach you other women how you think. And then I saw that was when I then saw your insecurities because I didn't actually even see it, and you were ming and you were r ring and you were asking me a thousand questions, and I was like, wow, I didn't expect it because I just see the shine that you bring into every fricking room. And I think, and as a friend, I think that that's the important part, is that it is our jobs to highlight the beauty that we see, to help that person or our friends out of their negative loop that maybe they have an internal loop that they're telling themselves then they're going right. So whatever loop you were on me just telling you exactly how I felt, Yeah, it just like breaks that cycle and then hopefully allows you to then rewire. And then obviously you saw the knock on effect that other people were receiving your message so well, and then hopefully that then became the stepping stones to then you building your own confidence.
Speaker 3: It really was, And even just having that conversation, it wasn't even the knock on effect other people. It was the effect that it had of me even opening up and having that conversation with you, to have someone who was like actively asking me questions that I hadn't even thought about my life well, actively listening and you were asking me questions within the questions, and I was like, gosh, I haven't thought about any of this, but I'm having to think of it in this moment and unwrap it in this moment. So it was it was basically like a therapy session for me. You gave me a free therapy session, Thank you. But you have this book out called Radical Confidence, and I want to ask start off by asking you what do you feel radical confidence means?
Speaker 4: Like what is radical confidence on a day to day basis?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So people used to say that I was confident or think that I was confident, and it's like going back to that negative voice in your head. It's like when you've got that voice telling you you're no good and who do you think you are? And you're not pretty and people are going to make fun of you, Like you start to really listen to that voice. And so when people saying I was confident, I was like, I don't understand what you mean because I don't feel it. And what I realized was people saw that I had radical confidence, which means that I feel utterly insecure. I don't know what I'm doing, I don't believe in myself. I have a negative voice, but I still take steps forward into action, and it's the action piece that turns into me getting good and me getting good and competent. Is then what leads to me being confident. And what I thought was though in just telling people, oh, you don't feel confident, I'll do it anyway, that is the worst advice right, Like, it winds me up because when people say just do it anyway, you know it's not easy just to do it anyway. So for me, it's like, Okay, I know I need to move forward. I can't stay still otherwise I'm not going to build my confidence like a muscle. So how do I take action? How do I get started? And so to me, it's about a blueprint. It's about putting steps together before you even start something so that when you get started, you don't fail. You don't let that negative voice this persuade you to do something else.
Speaker 4: Is putting on your armor before you go on the battlefield.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Or I just imagine, let's take your podcast for example, I bet you.
Speaker 2: I know you well enough. It was like, do I do it? Do I not? Oh my god? But if I get started now, I'm going to be held to it.
Speaker 3: Well, if I signed this contract, does that mean I have to commit to like the weekly things?
Speaker 4: What happens if I have nothing to say that week?
Speaker 2: Right? Or what if I feel about I don't know what to do?
Speaker 1: The second though, you go, Okay, there is this fear, but what.
Speaker 2: Am I going to call it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yes, you don't hire a team yet, you haven't even told anyone, but you're like, what am I going to call it?
Speaker 4: If it was to do it, what would I call it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And then the step second step, what would the set look like?
Speaker 1: So what you're doing is you're starting to put these tiny little steps in in making decisions whether the bigger picture isn't so overwhelmed you don't get started in the first place, because if I was to sit here and go all right, rady, you're going to do and build the biggest postcasts in the world, get started right now, and you'd be like, oh god, you would freeze.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But if I said to you just today on a Monday, let's say, what name would.
Speaker 1: You call it, Yeah, and then not you Tuesday, what would you just set look like? And then on a Wednesday, who would your first guest be? All of that now doesn't become overwhelming. Now, that is how you gain radical confidence in order to become confident at the end.
Speaker 4: That's so true. I was just thinking of the way that you're saying it.
Speaker 3: And they do say little steps at a time, but the way that you've just described, I'm like, yeah, you're almost creating it in your imagination before it's happening. Yes, you're almost experiencing it before it's happened, and therefore your body and your mind become a little more like you're dabbling your toes in it. You're like, Okay, let me just test the waters, see how I feel if I was to do it. Let me hypothetically create this scenario. And then your mind kind of realizes that, oh, I've created this scenario and I actually don't feel too weird about it, and this name actually feels really great, and said that I've created, I actually we like it and create excitement rather than the fear. Exactly, it takes over the fear that you're feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I interviewed this neurosurgeon, and it basically is neuroplasticity. And so what you're doing is your when you voice your fear, when you like picture your fear, the fear actually ends up being less.
Speaker 2: Now I really like to understand why.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, because I really want to be able to impact myself in order to achieve or to set a goal and then achieve it.
Speaker 2: So why is it that if.
Speaker 1: You name something you feel better about it, because most of us in the fear don't bloody want to talk about it, right, So what she explained to me was, look, when you label something as fearful and you try to forget about you try not to look at it. The second happens, all of your anxiety comes to the surface. But if you name something, what you're doing is you're telling and framing it in your mind like it's normal. And so this is why things like manifestation really works, because if you don't manifest let's say, for instance, you're just like, all of a sudden, someone comes to you and they're like, I'm going to offer you a podcast the fear of Oh my God. A podcast who's gonna listen to?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 2: Will all come rushing forward.
Speaker 1: Now, if you've manifested, if you've been thinking about it, you're telling your body, this isn't fearful.
Speaker 4: You're ready, it's ready. You will correct exactly.
Speaker 1: You've prepped yourself for it so that the second then, if you've been doing the work, when you eventually then get your podcast, the fear on day one won't be as extreme because you've done all that neuroplasticity and frame rebuilding your mind into not seeing that as something fearful but seeing it is something exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember hearing this code, and I don't think I'm saying it exactly, but it says the sword of knowledge can cut through fear.
Speaker 4: And so what that.
Speaker 3: Means is like, it's exactly what you're saying. When you are able to identify it doesn't mean that you know everything, but when your body and your mind sees it as being familiar, like anything unknown, we create fear around So how do we get how do we get around that? Well, if it's unf familiar, make it familiar, and then you don't you don't feel the fear anymore. And so creating the labels or creating that visual in your mind, or making something feel more familiar reduce it, or understanding it better reduces the fear that you feel from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and you can take this too, from you know, building a podcast to even like religion. Let's say, it's like, I think that the power of religion really does almost make you think about death in a lighthearted way. And so if you believe that, okay, this isn't just one life, that there actually are multiple lives or I interviewed this woman that was one hundred and three years old, gladdess that I was telling.
Speaker 3: You about amazing.
Speaker 1: I said to her, she has a ten year plan and she's one hundred and three, and so I didn't want to be disrespectful, but I wanted to know the truth. I was like, in all honesty, how do you have a ten year plan? And she was like, well, maybe I make it make but I don't. But at least I know what I'm always working towards. And then she says, and then when I die, she's like all the people that died before me. Because her children, some of her children have died, because she's one hundred and three, She's like, I don't grieve them not being here because I just know that when I die, it's a do you believe so she's going to she believes she's gonna have a party. On the other side because you know her daughter who passed away, her brothers, and so there's no fear. So when you just have acknowledged it, you look at it, you see the positive side of it instead of the negative side. You now literally can eliminate that fear. And when you know that, now you can almost use that framework in anything you want.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, I think about that with death as well. I feel like when I started understanding different spiritual practices and what connected to me the most was the soul is eternal, and so that changed my whole perception and view of fear in this lifetime, of what this physical body means, of what it means to live in this body, what fear actually means to my body versus my heart or my soul. And so whether people believe it or not, for me, that reduced the amount of fear that I was even feeling about my day to day life, about my family, about everything around me, that I was creating so much anxiety and fear around me.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've heard this recently.
Speaker 1: I just discovered it, and I love talking to you about new studies and stuff. So I've been having problems with my health. You know, I've been struggling for a long time. But recently we've identified that it could be my liver. Wow, Okay, And what I heard recently is the liver is the organ of anger, and that you have organs that are related to every emotion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell me, I had no idea.
Speaker 4: Yes, every emotion.
Speaker 3: And there's this incredible chart, and I think in my first episode I talk about this where there's this incredible chart where they did heat senses of the body of what emotion light what part of your body lights up with different emotions. And so I've heard that the liver is the organ for anger, but there's also like when you feel angry, you know how they say hot headed. So apparently the heat rises in the body up till the head. So when someone's feeling angry, they did like heat senses on people, and the head is the place that gets like the hottest during anger. And so in different parts of the body, like for women when they're feeling really emotional and sad, it's in the pelvis area or the hips area. And that's why even in yoga when I do my yoga teacher training. The key exercises that are recommended for women for emotional release are hip openness, because we hold so much and which makes sense because you know a lot of women's for women especially, our body is prone, especially by a certain age, start to start creating certain hormones for giving birth, for menopause, for whatever it is.
Speaker 4: And so all of our hormones lie.
Speaker 3: Within the area, and so apparently our emotional release all lies in our hip flexes. And so there's so many different parts of our body that one whole different emotions, but two whole different types of different types of our traumas, and the different energy that we hold in our body from every past experience that we have.
Speaker 1: It is fascinating. And I'm reading the book. I read it a long time ago, but the body keeps the score.
Speaker 3: I've been recommended that I just restarted it today, in fact, because I want to understand this, because again, how do we connect the body with our mind and the mind with the body.
Speaker 1: And for me, you know, I joke, but I'm actually really serious. I want to live till I'm over one hundred. But women is something like even though women live longer than men, we end up living in worse health twenty percent of our lives.
Speaker 2: More than men.
Speaker 1: So even though we live longer, we actually live in more poorer health in our life than men do.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: So married men live longer than single men because they've got a woman to tell them, don't text and drive, go to the doctor when you've got.
Speaker 2: A headache, things like that.
Speaker 1: But married women live less as not as long as single women because we're take caretakers. That is so interesting, actually, I stat from doctor Amon himself.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when I think about our lifespan, when I think about how we show up every day, when I think about what we're doing people pleasing, what that's doing. Internally, I'm really starting to pay attention. I'm starting to really understand like the organs and things like that, and I think, like, if you have lung issues, it's a sign of fear because again, like your lungs is the thing that.
Speaker 3: Ys like rung titan, like, it's the it's where the fight or flight responsib really lies in your breath and if you're yeah, it's it's so fascinating. I I was thinking about the fact that we were talking about armor earlier, and I remember the first time I saw you, I was just so like enamored by.
Speaker 4: How badazzled you were, Like you were like you were.
Speaker 3: Decked out, you had the change, you had, all the bling, you had your.
Speaker 4: Watches and as she has today. But it also like.
Speaker 3: After I met you, I was like this, there was something about you that stood out and it was the jewels. And it wasn't like what you were in, yes, that obviously stands out, but it was like how you were carrying yourself with that. And I thought about armor that we just spoke about now, and how I felt like, you know, I know you always wear Superwoman somewhere wonder a wonder Woman, wonder Woman got we and I think you had that from when I first met.
Speaker 2: Oh this necklace, yeah, I've had for like seven years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so I remember seeing that and I was like, gosh, she really does have this wonder Woman presence about her, Like you walk in the way that you carry yourself, what you're wearing, like you've always been very mindful about the way that you dress and what you put on your body and it and it being a symbol of who you are. And so I wanted to ask how you've how that's evolved in your life, and whether it's like a tooling technique for creating this confidence and how how how they marry together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's super deliberate. So I set a goal and I think, how do I actually get to it? Now?
Speaker 2: Flashing back to me being from North London.
Speaker 1: Greed girl, like at the age of ten, I was bully for my looks. I had the unibrow, I had the braces that went all the way around the head. And how many of us carry the bullying the idea of who we are with us for the rest of our lives. And I realized as I started to get into my twenties and my early thirties that the way that I was showing up was absolutely dictating the results that I was getting in life. And so when I wasn't achieving something, when I was so fearful over something, I wouldn't go after it. And so I said, okay, Lisa, just ask yourself what do you actually want? And at the time, I was a stay at home wife, right, I was supporting Tom, I was cooking for him, I was cleaning for him, and I wasn't happy. And at the time, I was like, I just want to have the courage to tell my husband I'm not happy because it's not his fault.
Speaker 2: I didn't tell him. So how do we build our courage in order to say the hard thing?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: So when you say, Okay, this is what I'm struggling in, this is the goal. I just need confidence. At the time, I just used the word confidence. I just need confident to be able to tell him how the hell am I going to do it? And so I start to just read books about tactics and techniques, and what I realized is how you show up will actually absolutely make a difference to how you feel. So if you show up in your pajamas, you're gonna probably show up soft and sweet and puttly right. But if you in fact, i've seen your your dress sense, hold me your freaking bocanet.
Speaker 2: I'm so impressed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've definitely been trying.
Speaker 2: You really have.
Speaker 1: Now when you put on those beautiful, stunning dresses, what does that do to your brain?
Speaker 4: So different?
Speaker 3: Like I remember, and I was going to ask you this, when you were in that period of your life, were you dressing to hide or were you dressing to be seen?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Great question. I used to dress to hide. I then started to dress so that I could start to see myself because I didn't think of myself as a pretty person. I didn't think of myself as valuable. I didn't think of myself as worthy. I didn't think you know, basically fill in the blank. Yeah, And so I started to go, Okay, the way that you think about yourself isn't serving what you want in life. So with compassion and grace, how do I start to actively change the belief I have about myself? And so I just was like, Okay, you're going to try one hundred things and probably ninety nine percent of them aren't going to work. So I had to give myself the space to fail in a bunch of things so that I wouldn't quit. And then I just started to realize, Okay, well when I dress, if I wear pajamas, I actually feel really soft. I don't feel powerful. When I put on my knee high boots, I kind of feel like a bad ass. So that became the catalyst to the idea of dressing. Then I just understood habits. Habits take thirty sixty ninety days to adopt, So I'm not going to wake up tomorrow and think all of a sudden, I'm a bad ass. It's going to take time. So go all right, Lisa, I have to build the habit. How do I build the habit? So I keep almost I call it first principles. I just keep going back to first print supports. So first principle is if I know a habit takes time, If I know that I need to use I can use clothes. If I know that mirroring, right, you look yourself in the mirror. If you look at yourself and insult yourself, yeah, what happens?
Speaker 2: You feel worse?
Speaker 1: So I thought, okay, I'm naturally look in a mirror and insult myself all the time. What happens if I looked in the mirror and gave myself a compliment? What if that's the habit I build? Okay, now I've broken it down. And the final piece of first principle is what's the activation? What's going to activate switching me from negative to positive? So what's the activation that's going to take me from negative to positive?
Speaker 3: That as activation because usually your default would be most of our default is that negative. And so it's activating like reactivating yourself, restimulating yourself to realize not to be on your default every day. What's that word for it, autopilot? Yeah, autopilot. You're reactivating your exactly.
Speaker 1: So I'm so used to going on autopilot and insulting myself.
Speaker 2: I had over twenty years of it, So why am I going to think.
Speaker 1: That I'm automatically going to change just because I've read the book a podcast. I just know that I know now I want to change, but I now need to actively show up to change it. So I go, Okay, I know I need a habit. I know that mirroring's very real, and I know clothes work. How do I now use all of this to have a tactic? And that's where I was like, let me go online and see if there's just like a Wonder Woman logo?
Speaker 2: What's something like that?
Speaker 1: And I found this Wonder Woman necklace and I was like, all right, what if? And it sounds silly, but it worked.
Speaker 2: What if I put it.
Speaker 1: On and I look in the mirror and every day until it becomes habit, I tell myself that I'm a badass like Wonder Woman. And I just kept repeating it day after day after day, and you.
Speaker 2: Do it for ninety days you do it for one hundred days, like you eventually start to go I'm a freaking.
Speaker 1: Bad like one, Yeah, I really am, you know, and then that belief then makes you show up differently. Showing up differently makes other people see you differently. Are the people seeing you differently? Then reflects back to oh huh.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: People used to think I was a total talk and like an idiot, and now people.
Speaker 2: Are saying, you're really confident. Yes, And then that starts to then rewire your entire brain.
Speaker 4: And reaffirm what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, And now someone else reaffirming what you're doing then reaffirms it in and of itself, and now you inevitably become confident.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, you really described that process so well, so thank you for doing And I think the only way you could really describe it is by being someone who's gone through it and has actually lived it. I had this visual when we were talking, when you were talking about you back in the day, thinking how you can be abaud us. I was thinking, one, that has to be the name of an expert us and two it was like a comic book in my mind where by the way, Lisa is an incredible artist, what like I can't even describe how incredible her are is.
Speaker 4: But I had this vision of you, like writing in your.
Speaker 3: Scrap book how to be a bad Our Step one, And.
Speaker 1: That's literally why I wrote the book Radical Confidence, because your confidence won't happen by accident. It has to be a deliberate, conscious effort every single day. And the thing is, I don't bs myself and I call myself on the reality of things, and between those two it's allowed me to say, does this technique works? And look, this technique even though I'm relaying to you, I tried a hundred different ones before that that completely failed, but I never gave up because I had the eye on that goal and then I retroactively work backwards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like you know, even when you were talking about changing the way that you were dressing as we just were, I was thinking for so many whenever I walk into a room and me and Jay really different on this, and I still am working to like change my mindset around it. But I'll be like, I don't want to be overdressed, and just like, why don't you want to be over something? I do not want to be overdressed. I'd rather be underdressed and overdressed. That's always been my mindset. I would rather be underdressed and overdress because I don't want to show up looking like I've tried too hard or like I have put in so much effort and then I'm like showing up more than everybody else. And so my mindset has forever been don't ever don't be too overdressed. It's better to be underdressed and overdress. His is it's better to be overdressed and underdressed, so I look like I'm prepared and I'm ready and I've come like having thought about it. And I was really thinking about that while you were talking, because I was saying, why do I feel like that? Like why do I always want prefer that? And I realized it's probably that feeling of if you're underdressed, people won't pay as much attention like you being underdressed, there's always gonna be more people overdressed, which means people are going to be looking at them more. So if you're underdressed, you kind of just blend in and you don't stick out.
Speaker 4: And I was thinking about it with you.
Speaker 3: It's like you really had to change the way that you carried yourself and what you were wearing, so that even if you weren't ready to stick out, you can help us stick out.
Speaker 1: Oh can we talk about this for a second, because this is fascinating. We both have insecurities, and yeah, our tactics are very different because I'm like Jay out of insecurity. I want to be like, Okay, just in case, even if I'm gonna wear the heels and the thing and the thing, because I don't want people to think, oh God, look at the state of Lisa. And so yours is to not get the attention, and mind's to not get the negative attention.
Speaker 3: So we've got the same mindset going in, but our tactics are different. And so I'd rather like, if I don't feel good about myself, I'll be like, no, I'll just wear like the baggy shirt and the bags and things I feel the most comfortable in.
Speaker 4: And yours is let me.
Speaker 3: Show up in the things that I maybe don't feel comfortable in, but that make me show up as the person that I wanted to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna try your technique.
Speaker 2: I'll try yours. We'll report back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so what we're gonna.
Speaker 1: Go ahead I'm not just gonna say, but isn't that interesting even for anyone, especially women listening right now, of how we'll look at our friends, or we look at people around us, and we have a whole story in our head about how that person feels because I've seen you, We've been too many things together, and I've seen you really casual, and you know what I tell myself, Wow, I wish I was that confident to be able to just roll up in a big baggy sweater and not give a shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So when my friends are like, gosh, I can't believe you showed up with like hardly any makeup on, or you don't get and I'm like, yeah, that's because I don't want to show up like I've shown up. And it's but I also now you saying that I've changed the way that I'm.
Speaker 4: Like dressing and stuff.
Speaker 3: I realize how much it makes me feel good about myself when I'm putting an effort to myself, Like when I'm putting an effort on myself, when I'm thinking about what I can dress myself in and and the way that I can change the way that I'm looking in certain you know, when I'm going out when I'm going to parties, whatever it is, it actually is showing more care and attention to myself and so it's actually so much less about what other people are thinking or seeing you as. But it's like, Oh, I'm finally decided that I want to pay more attention to myself and that I want to be particular and attention to detail about the way that I'm looking after myself. And so I've now recognize it as a reflection of myself. I'm like, why am I gonna Why is my sweat drawer and my sweat area in my cupboard the largest area in my thing and hasn't changed since the pandemic, Like something has to change.
Speaker 4: And my.
Speaker 3: Assistant Lise bet I told her that at the beginning of the hours, I really want to like up level the way that I'm dressing, like it's not making me happy. And so every time I get into sweats and I decide to film a video, she's like, I'm just reminding you. You told me that you wanted to level up, and I'm just letting you know.
Speaker 4: You're in sweats and I'm okay, fine, I'll go and change.
Speaker 3: But it really does take a change of pattern because you get into comfort zone doesn't necessarily and I talk about this a lot lately because I've noticed it in myself. Being in your comfort zone doesn't necessarily mean you're happy. And we know that right, Like comfort zone is sometimes a very dangerous place to be in and it can actually keep you stagnant, unhappy, but it feels comfortable, and so yeah, I've started buying new things, trying out new hairstyles, trying out new different ways of dressing, and I'm like, oh, I actually really like it.
Speaker 4: And it does make you feel so different.
Speaker 1: And now you're telling yourself right that you're worthy enough to put yourself first and.
Speaker 3: That in an effort is a good thing. It's not h oh, you're being too much or you're showing up. It's a weird it's a weird mindset to have, but yeah, that's what it was. Like, I don't want to seem like I've put in too much effort.
Speaker 1: Now, think about what even just equating that with clothing, and like, we don't want to be perceived in a certain way, but if we don't really kind of take care of ourselves, that we're telling our bodies and ourselves that we're not priority.
Speaker 2: Now, imagine what people pleasing is doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you're always trying to please other people and you put yourself last. It's like, well, no, wonder we're having all these health issues because we've just been taught that you've got to keep showing up.
Speaker 2: And it's selfish.
Speaker 1: If you cook yourself food and don't cook your partner food or something like that, you know.
Speaker 3: It tells you what you were to eat versus what what's good for your health versus what they want to have. On that note, we've had this conversation before, and I think sometimes, especially for women, there's this really blared line between confidence and arrogance and ego and how do you differentiate that not in other people, but in yourself when you are checking yourself, Because sometimes ego does take over and sometimes we can get a little bit arrogant in maybe our skills, our appearance, our whatever everybody tells us we are good at. Sometimes arrogance can creep in. How do you create that difference and how do you ensure that it is your confidence and it's not your ego.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a great question, and I think for me, arrogance and confidence is really when you're willing to show up, or you can show up and feel good about yourself. Arrogance is that you're trying to make other people smaller in order to feel good about yourself.
Speaker 4: Great differentiation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so when you're trying to put other people down so that you feel great, that's freaking arrogance, right, Like I know more than you do things like that.
Speaker 2: But now with ego.
Speaker 1: So for me, the funny thing is my ego and confidence are actually completely polar opposites.
Speaker 2: And so take band on that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So take my show Women of impat Right, I'm about to go on camera, and I'm like, I don't want to get on camera, Like I'm bullied, I was teased for my looks. Why would I ever go on camera? And so I was like, I wanted to do a podcast. I really wanted to help women. That was like my mission statement. So I said to my husband Tom, I was like, Babe, I'm just going to do a podcast, but I'm just going to do it on zoom and I'm just gonna do it with my friends. And it was all because I was completely insecure, so I didn't want to like stretch myself back to the comfort zone. Thing, and so my wonderful husband. We've got a commitment to each other. We will always repeat back to each other what our goals and dreams are, especially moments where we're not acting in accordance. And so Tom said to me, Baby, I love you, and here's the hard truth. You've told me you really want to help women.
Speaker 2: I was like, what I do?
Speaker 1: And he's like, okay, you've just told me that you want to do a podcasts because you want to help women.
Speaker 2: I was like, well I do. And he's like, but you don't want to go on set.
Speaker 1: We already have a set bill, We've got six cameras because Tom already had his own show, And he's like, if you really want to help women, that you would do on camera. And I was like, oh, okay, well why am I not going on camera? And I was like it's because of my ego. M my ego wants to protect me. And I think is that we've villainized egos and I've actually repivoted how I see my ego. I see my ego as my best friend. She is there to tell me the truth. Hey, if you get on camera, you're gonna mess up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you get on camera, someone may say something about you.
Speaker 2: Yes, now here's the thing.
Speaker 1: We think that is a bad thing, But the truth is, you get on camera, someone's.
Speaker 2: Gonna say something bad about you.
Speaker 1: You get in front of the camera, you're probably gonna mess up if you've never been on camera before. So I realized she was actually instead of thinking of her as like this critic, she's actually my coach and she's here to help guide me. So a that was one way eliminated the negative voice. But then I was just very truthful in saying I actually don't have the confidence to get on camera, and that's why my ego is shouting at me, don't do it. Yes, but in that moment, how do you show up? And I asked myself, Okay, well, what's like. I want everyone right now to actually ask themselves when they've got a goal and they don't want to do it with compassion, ask yourself what's more important, your mission or your ego, Because in that moment, I didn't have the confidence to go on camera. My ego didn't want me to go on camera. But my mission statement is to help women. So you can see how I was utterly in conflict, and so I just had to be honest with myself. And the second I said my mission is more important than my ego, I realized I had to get in front of the camera. That's when I reimagined that my ego, instead of being the critic, was my coach. She was helping me get in front of the camera. And that's how I ended up, you know, really starting my show. But it was the fact that I didn't have the confidence. My ego desperately didn't want me to get on camera or you know, fill it whatever someone wants to do. And it's just like, we want to beat that out of ourselves. We want to stop feeling the ego. We want to pretend it doesn't exist, we want to villainize it. But what if it be your freaking superpower? Yeah, and that idea has changed my life.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And actually, if you think about it, sometimes most of the time when we think about insecurities, people see it as as almost humility, like, oh, that person doesn't want to do this and doesn't want to do that, and that must mean that they.
Speaker 4: Have so much humility.
Speaker 3: But actually often people don't link ego and insecurity together, and actually it's so much. Those two are so so tied together because our ego creates these ideas in our head. And as soon as you think you're going to be put in a position where you could be ridiculed, where you could be told that you're not as good looking as you think you are, that you aren't as intelligent as you thought you were, or all the things that you may even think about yourself may come to light with other people. That is pure ego. And so actually showing up for you was counteracting your ego, not showing up in a way that shows your egoact.
Speaker 1: Fact, yeah, one thousand percent. And the word ego actually comes from the Greek word erron, which means me.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, And I interviewed this psychologist and she broke down that when you're a child, and let's say your parents are either abusive or arguing alcoholics, Like listen, just assume bad upbringing as a kid, you don't look at your parents to go they're they're having a hormonal issue. They're having issues. They should get divorced. Like you don't have logic. You cannot as a child point to your parents as the enemy because now, as a child, you don't have a roof over your head and you don't have food to eat. So as a self protecting mechanism, what do children do. They turn on themselves and they make it about them, which is why you hear so many kids say think that the divorce, the parents getting divorced is because of them, because it is actually safer for you to say it's your fault than to blame your parents, because if your parents aren't there to help you, you die. So the ego started as a protective mechanism for you to survive. So now that I know that, I don't I like like I said, I just welcome it because it is there to help us. And if we reframe that, could you imagine the stuff that we could do.
Speaker 3: Actually, don't me talking about the wanting to look dressfully simple and then seem really simple. I realize actually now thinking about what you're saying, it actually probably does come from so much of a place of ego, in the sense that I think having the life, having my life having changed so much, like my life has changed so much since I lived in Watford, since I was in the UK, since I lived in my parents' house, and so I think I was very used to and at that time in life I was a lot simpler. I didn't really want to. I hadn't come into contact with people we're wearing like that as much makeup or like dressing in certain ways. And as I've adapted, as I've been exposed to more things, as we all do, the idea of dressing up or like, you know, dressing in a certain way, it makes me think people are going to think, oh, maybe she's not as simple anymore, or maybe she doesn't like she's you know, the idea of people thinking when you change your lifestyle, you change with it, but of course you change with it. But I think, and now, after reflecting, I'm like, oh, it's probably because I don't want people to think I've changed, because now I live in la and I do all these things and I and so I'm like, oh, wow, it actually is link The insecurity is somewhat linked to ego. And I've been masking it as being like a, oh, it's because I don't want to be seen, but actually it's because I don't want to be seen in a specific way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So how are you navigating that now?
Speaker 1: Because it's interesting that you said, like, it's not that I want to change, but you do want to change.
Speaker 4: No, I do want to change.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And what it actually is now the way that I'm dealing with is that I have to be honest with the way that I actually do want to dress and show up and look. And actually showing up in the sweats wasn't making me happy, or showing up in like my my outfits that I actually felt were very simple or the person that I was three years ago or five years ago or even yesterday one making me happy. And so it's either showing up in a way not to be seen but being unhappy as me or being okay, like we said, whether you're on camera, whether it's people from your past or whether it's whatever, saying that you've changed and seeing it as like, yeah, I haven't. It's a positive thing because I want to be this, this is who I am now. And so I think it's one accepting who you are now, which is what I have to do, and two being okay with people misunderstanding you and being okay with if they're not ready for FU to change doesn't mean you shouldn't change.
Speaker 1: How are you okay that with that? Because I know that you're such a people pleasing.
Speaker 3: How am I okay with that because I don't want to live my life not feeling happy in myself every single day. And I've come to terms with the fact that you're just constantly misunderstood because people don't know your heart and how can they? And I'm like, it's not actually their fault, because you only how you bet sometimes don't even know the heart of the people you're closest to if they don't open up to it. So how can I expect strangers to know my like the inside of my heart?
Speaker 4: How can people?
Speaker 3: How can I expect other people to know my deep intentions with why I'm doing something? I can't expect them to unless I'm sitting there explaining to them every single day. And so it's not about whether you're on camera or off camera. It's like people will never know your truest, deep intentions. You can either spend your life explaining it to them or trying to and even then they won't understand it. Or you try and refine your intentions, try and purify them, try and keep them as good as possible, and then how you show up is at least authentic, and how people receive you is then not your problem. And so I think I've constantly been putting that through my mind because it's like, I can either show up how I think other people want to see me, and I'll be upset and they'll still probably be disappointed because I will never make them happy. Or I can start just being honest with myself, which means I can be a little bit more authentic in the way that I am to myself and show up to other people, because you can always feel when people's energy doesn't match their intention or the way that they show up doesn't actually match who they are, and so I can either be that person where things just quite onn't aligning for myself or those other people, or I can just be like, you know what, this is who I am. It's a bit rough, it's a bit un I don't know what's happening, but at least I'm being honest about it, and I'm shifting and changing as things are changing and shifting within me.
Speaker 1: I love that, and it made me realize and think about something I don't think I've told you this. Last time we hung out, you broke down integrity to me. Yeah, and I can't remember why we were talking about it, but it stuck.
Speaker 2: With me to that day.
Speaker 4: Or something rather than that.
Speaker 3: Sami said to me, Yeah, integrity is when your words, your actions, your words, your actions, and your thoughts are in complete alignment.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And because I'm such a visual person, right, I kind of picture it like, Okay, it starts with your thoughts, your words, your words go to your hands.
Speaker 2: Your hands create the action.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, but so it's really helped me now in the people please inside of things, because every time someone wants something, I really want to make them happy.
Speaker 2: I really want to make them happy.
Speaker 1: Or we all know if you get the text of like hey, you want to go out, and you're like, I really don't want to go out, but sometimes you're like, all right, I'll force myself. I don't want to let be left out. I go, okay, do I want to go out?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Or no?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, don't lie and be like I'm sorry, just like be honest about why, you know what, I'm really tired. And then the action is I sit down and I'm resting. And that alignment has helped so much, Like it's such a simple equation, if you will, but it's really helped me make sure and since then, I've had tough conversations with people that I really don't want to have because normally I'd be like, it's fine, I don't yeah, but it doesn't matter. But I'm like, well, no, I keep thinking about it, I keep not saying in alignment with what I'm thinking, And so how do I start to, you know, act in accordance. And that has either really made it much better, like better relationships, closer relationships, or it's actually somewhat made things more difficult with people, But it's the truth, and I think that that's more peace worthy then just trying to say a lie.
Speaker 2: To keep the peace.
Speaker 3: I go back to that statement over and over again too, because I either have a people pleasing nature to make sure other people that are still okay with me and don't get upset with me, or I have it because it makes me feel good about myself of feeling like I'm doing something for somebody else and it creates value. And so I've had to really differentiate between the two, like, am I doing it because I want to be liked?
Speaker 4: That's not a good reason.
Speaker 3: Am I doing it because it makes me feel valuable in their life also not a good reason? Or am I doing it because it's genuinely what I want to do, And I always say, like, you always know when you're overextending yourself, when you feel resentment or depletion or the need for someone to reciprocate with you, and you're constantly thinking about those one of those three. After you give too much, you always know you've gone past your ability to give and your limits of people pleasing when you have a negative, a negative feeling after it, Because if you actually give from a when you actually deeply want to give, you're never thinking, I wonder when that person's gonna give back to me, I wonder where, like I wonder when this will be repaid in my life. I give that a person a packet of Chris, I wonder when they're going to give me that packet of Chris back or chips. You know, that's such a small, small example. But when you're not requiring that reciprocation and you're not requiring that and you're not feeling those negative or resentful feelings, that's when you know you've given to the capacity that you have and you haven't given it inauthentically, because giving it authentically then it's like why am I giving anyway? Because I'm actually not giving? Am I actually giving a negative part of me.
Speaker 1: And what's worse is when you give and you're like, you pride yourself on the self sacrifice.
Speaker 3: Exactly, that's what exactly, Well, oh I've been this is me being a really good person even though it's really pain even though they don't deserve it.
Speaker 1: Well, but that then goes like it makes you feel even prouder. But that's really dangerous again going to your feeding. Yeah, and you're telling yourself as well that again you're not as worthy or you're not as valuable. And so then the other part actually that you were saying about the resentment is there was this whole study by done by the Gotman Institute that I'm obsessed with. And do you know the study, Well, the Gotmans are amazing. So they bring in these couples and they switch the sound off in the rooms so they can't hear what the couples are saying, and they have someone sit with the couples in the room and they ask them questions and they said, with ninety nine zero percent accuracy, just by the way that they were acting towards each other, the physical movements, they could predic with ninety percent accuracy whether they were going to get divorced within the seven years. Yes, And you know the thing, they were looking out for contempt and resentment. And they said, the second you start to resent or have contempt for your partner, you're ninety percent chance of getting divorced. And they saw contempt and resentment in body language. It was the rolling of the eyes, it was the and they would ask the couples like the opening question was, tell me about how you first met wow, because you'd either go, well, yeah, he chatted me, he chatted me up at a bar.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't you chatted me up? Right, you get that.
Speaker 1: Story, or you'd be like, oh my god, let me tell you he was so sweet. Right, And just by people telling their stories will show whether they have contempt. Whether they've got contempt will then lead to ninety percent accuracy. So you can now imagine obviously that's relationship. But now think about it with friends, think about it with family members. How you're starting to feel when you start to build this contempt or resentment towards them.
Speaker 3: Totally it changes your everyday interactions with people. Let's say someone comes to you today and they're like, tell me what the first step is? What should I do right now today to I'm at the lowest point of though, I don't know how to build up my confidence. What can I start with today? Like, do you have like a step one in your book of where to start.
Speaker 2: So it all has.
Speaker 1: To be with the planning before you even do an action. So really you have to understand that confidence is the byproduct of taking action. So you cannot get confidence before you start.
Speaker 2: Okay, you just can't. Yeah, confidence is built, So now think of it.
Speaker 1: So now imagine I because the analogy is important for you to understand, so then know the actions. So for instance, if I would say to you RADI go to the gym and I'm going to give you six weeks to curl twenty pounds, you may go up, Okay, cool, I'm going to go in. I'm gonna curl every single day, I'm going to eat this food blah blah blah. And you're gonna have a plan put together. And then at the end of the six weeks, hopefully you're going to be able to maybe get even close to that. But now imagine I go, okay, cool, you've done that. Now I want you to go in and bedlift. You have to start from scratch again. But people think if you've got confidence in one area, it means you've got confidence in every area. If you think of it like a muscle. Now hopefully you can understand that. You just have to identify firstly, what type of confidence muscle you need to start building. So when someone comes, it's like, I don't know what I'm doing. I don't want to get started. I need to build my confidence.
Speaker 2: What do I do? It's like, you have to understand what you want confidence in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if you say, okay, I want confidence in public speaking, Okay, now we at least have the framework.
Speaker 2: You know your end goal, you know exactly what you're trying to get to.
Speaker 1: So what I then like to do is I like to use equations again because I can get in my own way with emotion. So I put everything into like mathematical equations, things that I can't. So I go, okay, if I want to get on stage, put a goal in place that you are then working towards every single day. So what does a goal look like? It's a what and how much and by when. That's the equation that makes up a goal. So what I want to be able to go on stand on stage and do a speech.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, how many? I just want to do one. I just want one by when by the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now you refined when you say I want confidence, What does that mean? You've refined it down to something very specific.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that makes so much sense.
Speaker 1: So now you say, by the end of the year, I want to do a public speaking gig and I want to be on stage.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 1: Now what you do is you take the time when you're you're you know, comfortable, maybe you're with your friends, and you write out a blueprint a plan. Okay, if I've never public spoken before, what step one? Gain the knowledge? So step one maybe ask all of your friends who maybe have done public speaking, ask them a thousand questions, sit with them, sit by their feet, and be the student. Yes, once you've done that, what's step two? Maybe you prepare your own speech. Okay, you write it out. Step three is you film it? Step four is you rewatch it? Step five is you rewrite your speech. Now you can see I do every freaking tiny little step for the micro moment micro moments, because if you told me go on stage and speak to a thousand people, I would have a heart attack. But what I do is when I wake up in the morning, I look at my cheek sheet and I go, what did I tell myself I was going to do today today? I just said that I was going to write the speech. I didn't say I was going to perform it. I didn't say I was going to film it. I didn't say I was going to do anything with it. All I said was I was going to write it. And if you do that every single day, that then becomes the way that you do. You build your confidence, and then you get your confidence.
Speaker 3: I cannot tell you how deeply I resonate with that, because I had this moment of actually going up on stage and actually have, like I said yes to doing a keynote that I had never done before that I had the most amount of fear of.
Speaker 4: And every step that you.
Speaker 3: Just said, and I just want to say how much this works, because every single step that you just said is what I did. I started over a month before I was going to do it, maybe two months ide eighteen, trying to figure out what I wanted to speak about. First of all, I asked Jay, because he's such an expert at public speaking, I asked him, what are your tips? Like, how do you even form the speech that? I'm like, how do I even form a keynot?
Speaker 4: I didn't even know where to start.
Speaker 3: He gave me his framework, and so I sat down and I started writing it, and then I was saying it to myself over and over again, and then I decided to do it to the team that was here. And I'll be honest, I cried while I was giving that job. But because because the discomfort of speaking in front of people may like I cry and discomfort like that's the way that my body deals with it. It's suddenly the feeling of such discomfort makes me cry. And so I remember sitting in my lounge, my living room, and I was sat in front of them saying the thing, and I even had my little notes. I was like, I don't feel comfortable doing it without my notes. So I was doing my notes and I literally broke down halfway into tears because I was like the anxiety that had build up built up in me to actually say it to anybody, to take it from being by myself to somebody else was huge. But I made it to the stage. And what I will say is, I was thinking, while you were saying that all these little things that I ended up saying yes to. And I remember thinking, I've been wanting to build confidence for a long time in different areas.
Speaker 4: But You're right.
Speaker 3: Whenever I would say I want to be more confident, but be like, what does that mean? Like when you're giving yourself such a large goal, It's like, how do I know what being confident even means? What does it even look like? And now as you're saying that, I'm reflecting back and I'm like, oh my gosh. I said yes and did this process in so many different areas of my life, whether it's the podcast and deciding to do that, showing up in something that I'm not for me with the speaking, writing the book, all of these things have been very different things in different areas, and I've gone through the process one step at a time at time to completion, and I realized those small completions has slowly built the confidence to say yes to the next thing, even if it's not the same thing at all. It has built the confidence to say yes. So saying yes to your podcast that how many years ago, what three years ago? Years ago, five years ago? I said yes to your podcast, And then I said yes to more podcasts, and then I said yes to writing the book and all of those small moments. It wasn't at the time that I thought, oh, this is building my confidence. It was me saying I'm going to complete this thing. And now I realized all those completions have been little steps towards saying an easier yes to so many other things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now look at you got your own podcast GOP.
Speaker 1: I know, but that is so important for people to hear because it is definitely the pyramid and not the pyramid the yes.
Speaker 2: So people see you on stage, that's the tip. They're like, oh, look at the iceberg, I see it.
Speaker 1: All that work you've done on Underground is exactly what's allowed you to then have that peak.
Speaker 3: I'd all say, it doesn't get easier, Like every day before I'm coming on, before I'm doing a podcast, I'm like, at least, but my like my team was as robby, like, you've done this before. I know, but I'm still really anxious and I don't know whether I'm asking the right questions.
Speaker 4: And is this is this? Uh? Is this okay?
Speaker 3: The way that I'm saying this, Have I worded it in the right way? And so you still will analyze yourself in a way that you may not feel the most confident, but the fact that you're still showing up and the fact that you're still making the effort to go through the motions like that is in my eyes, Like now I think about it, I'm like, that is the confidence. It's not actually about how other people are seeing me. It's not actually about how other people are perceiving what I'm doing, being successful or not successful, because every day I'm still in it and being like.
Speaker 4: Am I doing this okay? Is this right? Is this okay?
Speaker 3: And so it's actually so much more about how you are feeling about yourself and what you're saying yes to And as soon as you say yes, it actually tells yourself that, oh, I actually believe even if you think you don't believe it. Just by saying yes, you're saying to yourself, oh, this must mean that you believe in me. You believe in me that I can even possibly do it. And so the yes makes a difference, even if you end up failing, the fact that you even tried and you thought you could do it builds confidence in yourself.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing though, I think people think that if you fail that you are a failure, and it's hard to get back up because it actually is right, Like everything that we're talking about is like go.
Speaker 2: For it, like build your confidence build.
Speaker 1: Okay, now imagine you've done all the work and you get on stage like you were amazing.
Speaker 4: Like cad that.
Speaker 1: But now imagine you actually mess up. Yeah, not like let the worst right actually trip and four that would be horrifying. But listen, you just mess up your speech completely.
Speaker 2: You say the one.
Speaker 3: Word panel and I did that. I went on a panel, I answered one question and I didn't say anything the rest of the time because I compare, letly froze and they didn't wvite me back ever again that panel.
Speaker 1: But you didn't let that hold you back, right, But a lot of us do because we're like, that was my one chance, and so we seek perfection otherwise we're not going to get started. And actually, people don't want to see you being perfect. And there was this whole like study they did where I can't remember what university, but they hire these two actors or sorry, this one actor and she goes into a grocery store, and you know, in the grocery stores they have those samples. So they're doing this sample of a blender, and so they do this one test. They have this blender and this woman is like putting food in it and like showing how to use it.
Speaker 2: She's look very pretty.
Speaker 1: She does it perfectly, and the blender and the drink is amazing, and she serves it to people watching. The very next day, the same actress comes back and she's doing exactly the same setup, except as she's doing the blender, she forgets to put forgets right. This is obviously an act. She forgets to put the lid on the blender and she presses the on button and so it splashes all over her. Now she's doing this demo. Who do you think sold more blenders she did?
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So knowing even that study means that people don't want you to be perfect. And there's actually something called like the shoe drop syndrome or something where it's when you meet someone for the first time, you're always waiting for the shoe to drop, always because no one is perfect. So whether you're going for a job interview or a date, and what they said is the best thing you can do is drop the shoe in the first five minutes of the conversation, because what it actually does is it makes you look trustworthy because now people are like, oh, you're not trying to hide that you're imperfect when we all secretly know you, of course are imperfect. Yes, So like just knowing all of that makes me go okay, So if I mess up on stage people actually don't care. It will actually show that I'm vulnerable and I'm very real. So I'm now going to tell myself that if I mess up, it's actually okay. And then what am I going to do when I mess up? Because I don't seek perfection, I seek progress, So now what's that progression? Okay, if I mess up on stage? My plan was just laugh yeah, yes, And I did mess up, and I just laughed at myself and everyone else laughed and I moved on. But that's one of those moments knowing thyself and knowing that if I fail, I may never go back. I can't afford to never go back. I can't afford to never not get back up.
Speaker 4: And they're not going back.
Speaker 3: Reminding yourself that they're not going back is purely because your ego doesn't want you to fail and like doesn't like the feeling of not being this great, perfect self that you've imagined yourself to be. Last question I want to ask. I know that there was this part in your book where you were talking about us expecting people to save us, like this idea of this idea of constantly waiting to be saved or somebody to save you. So for somebody who has who has this idea, nobody believes in them, nobody thinks they're going to succeed. The whole of their external world doesn't believe in them.
Speaker 4: How one, as.
Speaker 3: An individual who actually does believe in themselves, how do you stop the other people's opinions and voices getting into your head and into your own belief? And two, for people who like me when I was younger, were constantly used to people saving them and doing the work for them, what's your advice for them?
Speaker 1: So I'm always project your life out if nothing ever changed, Yeah, and get a piece of paper. And I always say like nobs like, don't trick yourself.
Speaker 2: We always trick ourselves. Yeah, don't trick yourself.
Speaker 1: Right out if nothing changes, what your life will look like in a year, woe look like in five years?
Speaker 2: Woa look like in ten years? And I'm forty four.
Speaker 1: Now, So you imagine I play all this game, all the way up until I'm one hundred yea, and I just go, now what And it's like, wow, Okay, if I and if I can be very honest, because I always like to being very honest with myself. So if I play like, okay, if I always just let my husband take care of me, my mom, my dad, my older siblings, what happens? Okay, Well, the chances are they going to die before me? Like the statistically I don't want to think about it, but statistically, so do I want to find myself eight years old and completely helpless because I've relied on everybody else.
Speaker 2: And here's the thing. Only you can answer those questions. It is your life.
Speaker 1: So do not let me dictate, do not anyone else dictate, but just really play that out, or play out a scenario where you're in your car and just stuck on a freeway and you're seventy years old and you don't know how to take care of yourself. Yeah, like do you want that? And if the answer is no, then amazing. Now you just know that you need to build your skill sets and that just takes one thing at a time and unwiring or letting go of the things that people can do to help you. And for me with my health, I was looking to my husband to help me, to literally save me. I had massive gut issues. You know, you know that I could barely eat anything I was on. I was eating five ingredients. Ingredients. Yeah, the first time I met you had to go to a special restaurant because I could barely eat. And so knowing that I can only eat five ingredients, knowing that I was just very weak, I was turning to Tom for everything. But what happens when he's had a bad day, what happens when he's stuck in a meeting?
Speaker 2: And that happened one day.
Speaker 1: I was in a photo shoot and I have massive gut like I could barely breathe.
Speaker 2: I was in so much pain.
Speaker 1: So I excuse myself and I was like, I'm just going to go to the restaurant, because of course, you don't tell people you're in pain.
Speaker 2: Because there's a woman, God forbid.
Speaker 1: I make other people uncomfortable, which now I would just tell people, but back then I didn't want to be judged for having pain, So that even sounds ridiculous. I don't want to be judged for having pain. That's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I go upstairs and I fall to the floor, like literally, I'm clutching my stomach, I fall to the floor.
Speaker 2: I can barely breathe.
Speaker 1: And in that moment, I'm saying to myself and I need my husband. I need my husband. I need him to come save me. So I call him and not answering his phone, So what do I do? I literally was like, well, so what do you do, Lisa? You want to spend the rest of your time on the cold, dirty, you know, floor, or do you want to be basically be the hero of your own life and get back up? And that's what I told myself, is like, oh, I actually don't need my husband. I want him, Yeah, I just really want him to come and help, and that's fine, but.
Speaker 2: I don't need him.
Speaker 1: I can get up on my own. And that analogy, I actually got back up on my own. I took deep breaths, and I went back to the photo shoot. Was really the first sign that I think we dismissed the power that we actually carry. And when I realized what that was doing to my mindset in every avenue of my life, I realized, oh.
Speaker 2: I do turn to people to quote unquote save me.
Speaker 4: Or give your power away?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I give my power away exactly.
Speaker 1: And so now how do I change that? What do I do so I can become the hero of my own life? And that's where my tagline came from. It's like, be the hero of your own life? Is because I realized I was looking outward. I was looking for everyone else to save me. And the truth is, when you're in a moment where you're on the cold floor and there's no one else to save you, what do you do?
Speaker 3: You know, when you said save, I thought, I always think about it as giving parts of you away. Whenever you do that, because you don't give yourself the opportunity. Just how good you feel when you save someone else is how good you feel when you save yourself. And so like whenever I you know, I noticed myself constantly giving these little powers away to people that I didn't have the confidence to keep for myself or didn't didn't know how to utilize. And so I'd be like, oh, no, you do that for me. Oh no, you're better at this than I am, or you explain this, or I don't know how to say this in the right way about myself. You tell people what I do, the little things that I would do, I would just constantly give or give that power away to the point where you keep giving everything away and you've got nothing left because you've you've constantly just been telling other people that, telling yourself that other people are better at it than you are. I had to start taking that back, not because they were asking, I was freely giving it away. And so you have to realize that when you're saving other people, it feels good, but saving yourself feels it's like nothing else. Constantly doing little things where you are helping yourself, you think.
Speaker 4: That it feels good.
Speaker 3: You know, we always think, oh, I wish I was a baby again where someone was doing everything for me.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I feel like we always have that feeling of.
Speaker 3: Oh, you know, get carried around, you know, you get people make food for you. But actually there's no self, there's no choice in that. You actually get tired of other having to rely on other people. And I've been that person where, like you know, friends or I've helped people out in situations where they end up being dependent on me in that way, and I've realized that actually doesn't make them feel good. They don't want to have to ask me if it's for bailing them out of something, if it's for money, if it's for whatever it is. Like, no one wants to actually be saved. They want to save themselves. But when you end up asking someone else to save you, you actually you don't feel great. It doesn't make you feel good about yourself. You think it's nice having someone looking after you until you realize what it actually means. If that's happening over and over again, and you just feel helpless and you never want to feel helpless, that's so true.
Speaker 1: I love the analogy of like, when you help someone, how do you feel? Now, imagine how you're making yourself feel that's really powerful, and then just thinking through how it starts to spread in areas that we don't realize right because right now, the example I gave was looking to my husband, But the real thing that I ended up realizing was I was turning to the doctors to save me. I literally was like, give me a pill like you give yourself. And that's when I realized you can't outsource your health.
Speaker 4: You can't outsource someone else understanding you better than you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what you need.
Speaker 1: Yes, I literally was turning to doctors being like, what's wrong with my body instead of sitting still and asking myself, where do I feel pain?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What do I need? Like hands on my heart? Compassion and what can I give you right now?
Speaker 1: And sometimes the answer was like just sit still, yeah, exactly, you know, And it's nothing about yeah, stop like you know, being busy, Like just sit still and then being around people that you can open your heart to to listen to things and then see what's right for you, because you know, are you going to get a thousand people giving you advice, whether it's about your career, about a relationship, about your health. Those are probably the three things that people always feel like they've got an opinion definitely in your life and a vote, And those are the things that I'm like, no, I need to just get still enough to figure out what's right with me. And like Tom was the same my dad when he met Tom. Because I'm Greek Orthodox and Tom isn't and he's American and things like that, my dad was like, no, how is he going to support you?
Speaker 2: How is he going you know?
Speaker 1: And so it was my dad that was trying to make the decision for me, and I had to realize, like, no, it's my decision to make, and I'm the one that has to live with the consequences on you know whatever that looks like, either good or bad.
Speaker 2: But it has to be my decision.
Speaker 1: I can't let someone else make the decision for me, because then to your point, just going back to you're giving your power away and then what happens when it doesn't work?
Speaker 2: You blame them?
Speaker 4: No, No, it's so true.
Speaker 3: Now, this book, like Radical Confidence, how long did it take you to write Holley, Yeah, it's.
Speaker 4: Been a year.
Speaker 3: It's filled with so much, but essentially it feels like it's ten incredible steps to get you from a place of not feeling so confident and then feeling like your beast self, like feeling like you're wonder woman.
Speaker 4: Wonder woman is right, yeah, a wonder woman.
Speaker 3: And honestly, guys, like I feel like this podcast has helped me so much, you mean, just unreflecting and reflecting on myself but also understanding areas that I want to work on and build confidence. So thank you so much for that. Everyone go out and get this boat, because it honestly is it's an incredible incredible book, and just hearing you speak over the past years on your podcast has been really helpful and you've helped me so much in my life, so thank you for that.
Speaker 4: I have last a final few questions I ask you. Okay, we's like rapid fire, Yeah, a little.
Speaker 2: I'm not very good at rapid fire though I wasn't either. I I think I heard you on Jay's or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I can't decide what books are you currently reading or well?
Speaker 2: I just started The Body Keeps the Score.
Speaker 3: Great, that sounds like a good book. Actually, I need to go get that. When was the last time you cried?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I went for like twenty years without crying.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, twenty years.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: It stems from a memory of fifteen year old me. I'm the youngest in the family. I went to a funeral and every single person in the church was crying. And I remember that moment where I said, well, if everyone else is crying, who's going to be strong for them? Yes, And that was the moment that I told myself, Okay, you can't cry because you'll make other people feel badly. So but in my evolution now I'm actually really working on like can open that freaking damn. And so the last time I cried it was oh god. It literally was very recently. Give me a second. I was interviewing Mindy Pell's the health doctor, and we were doing an IG live Togein and she's helping me with my hormones as I'm like changing and aging and my gut and everything. And on the IG live she turned around and she said, hey, you know you've got problems with your liver. Liver is a sign of anger. And so she's like, who you have to think about? Who you have to forgive or who you need to forgive? And I was like, huh, who do I need to forgive? And she goes and Lisa, I think it's yourself.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, and I just fucking broke. I just broke.
Speaker 1: And I was like I didn't see it coming. I didn't think about it. And I was like, wow, how much how many of us need to actually the things that we've done?
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you for sharing that. What's a question you like? What's a question you don't like being asked?
Speaker 1: I don't think I have anything because I am so aligned with my purpose that if someone asks me a question, I truly believe it's because they need to know.
Speaker 2: The answer to help themselves.
Speaker 4: That's a good answer. Oh, what we're talking about insecurities in this.
Speaker 3: You don't have to share this, but how have you found your insecurities have changed from what was your insecurity when you were fifteen? And what would you say? Your biggest insecurity right now is okay.
Speaker 1: My insecurity when I was fifteen is I'm completely ugly, no one's ever going to like me or love me. And my insecurity now is I'm aging and the symptoms of aging and perimenopause are becoming very real. So I'm becoming forgetful. I'm forgetting words like I am. My brain function isn't as optimized as it usually is, and because I pride myself on my brain, it's like it's really denting my confidence. But I'm reminding myself that it is a natural thing that every woman goes through. So I'm actively working on it because I will never stop at I don't have confidence and so therefore I won't do it.
Speaker 4: Yes, thank you, thank you for all those answers. Thank you for being here. It was so great and can't wait to have you on again.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I am so proud and excited and honored to be on your show.
Speaker 2: And I really.
Speaker 1: Think people need to see your entire life and how you've gotten to this point, because they wouldn't believe that it was possible, And if they can see you do it, then I hopefully it can change their lives and they.
Speaker 4: Can do it too. Oh.
Speaker 3: You know one thing I wanted to add, Actually I was going to ask this earlier, but one symptom that I've noticed of confidence, which I felt in you, is the ability to hype other women up and to be able to compliment others so so openly and easily, like compliments just flow out of you. And I actually noticed like as I was trying to be more confident in myself, I felt I was able to do that way like much more more easily and actually feel genuine felt like I wanted to genuinely compliment others when I was feeling more confident in myself. And so I'd say I definitely saw that in you when I first met you. You hype people up so much, and I think confidence, true confidence is your ability to be able to flow out compliments of others.
Speaker 4: And truly feel it and mean it. So I just want to add that because I really think you do that so well.
Speaker 2: I love you so much.
Speaker 4: You