Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff You Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and there's Jerry. Oh my gosh, there's Chuck. Sorry Chuck, and this is Stuff you Should Know. And we're off to a weird, weird.
Speaker 3: Start on that's right, I forgot I was here.
Speaker 2: I just I don't know what happened. My reference copies on the fritz.
Speaker 1: Hey, real quick before we get started, And this just hit me. I went to a work function yesterday wherein we celebrated Jonathan Strickland. Are still our colleague, but our old buddy from the old House Stuff Works Early Stuff podcast days, who was the long long, long, long long time host of Tech Stuff Yep, and he has hung up his tech boots to as far as hosting that show. He's still around and executive producing a slate of shows, but he decided not to host Tech Stuff any long younger, and we just it was great seeing him. It's been quite a while and he's doing great. And just hats off to Jonathan and what a great body of work he's he's given the world over all those years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has been. Hats off to you, John, like that's you should be very proud. We're all proud of you, for.
Speaker 1: Sure, but keep that your head on strickling because you got that bald head. We don't want to get sunburned.
Speaker 2: Wow, that was really cool. If you bring up, I'm glad you did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was good.
Speaker 1: I saw some of the old crew, and it's just it's been too long because you know, we don't go to the office much anymore, and nobody does, so it's not like if I went there, I would see all the old gang.
Speaker 3: But it was good. It was nice to catch up with some people.
Speaker 2: That's cool, man. Yeah, you sent me and Jerry some good pictures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, onto the murder of a woman right?
Speaker 3: Awful.
Speaker 2: So this is a pretty true, pretty famous true crime case, like really really famous. I'm not sure if you'd heard of it before, have you?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not sure why or where it first got me, but I'm pretty sure. So I think Dave helped us with this. And he linked to a pair of pictures of a tree and then a diagram of the woman, the murdered woman in this case, and like, you know, like almost an anatomical diagram of what was found where and what she was wearing and all that, and it has like a real Ripley's believe it or not look to it. The drawing does, and those things are as etched in my brain as pictures from like the Time Life paranormal series Wow, from when I was a kid, So at some point I was exposed to this. So it's one of those things that I've always just kind of known about, but I didn't know any of the details really, and it's a truly fascinating case that I think one of the things that makes it appealing too is there's this level of this sense of like witchcraft or some sort of like Pegan Colts involved or something like that. And it turns out that that's not true, that's not the case. That a lot of it is just associated with the tree, that she was found in a witch elm, which has nothing to do with witches, and that she might not have even been found in that kind of tree. So let's get into it, Chuck, because I like confusing everybody from the outset.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this definitely smacked of like Tales from the Crypt or a Weird Stories entree or something like that. This goes back to World War Two in April of nineteen forty three, specifically Robert Hart, Bob Farmer, Tommy Willets, and Fred Payne, four teenage boys went to what was called the or what is called I guess Hagley Wood. This was a time in World War two where they were rationing things like food in Britain. So they were looking for food. They were looking to catch some rabbits or maybe get some eggs from bird's nest and fifteen year old Bob Farmer saw an opening in a tree, went up to check it out and it looked like an eggshell. It turned out it was a skull, and so he got a stick, wrapped it with some cloth and lifted the skull up out of there, and they were like, what kind of animal is this? Turns out it was a human animal. It had a clump of hair, a couple of crooked teeth had clearly been munched on by some animals, and so they were like, weird trespassing, and we don't want to get like most kids would do, like, uh, we don't want to get in trouble, so we're just going to put it back and never talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think their quote was home and a home and a home plus X. So yeah, they could have gotten in decent amount of trouble. I couldn't find exactly what, but they were poaching, and poaching was a big deal still then. I think it still is now, but it's probably lost a little bit of its you know, punishment. Sure regardless the I guess the oldest boy, Tommy Willitts, he was seventeen despite this vow, went right home and told his parents. Yeah, and I say, good boy, Tommy Willitts, because he it was clear to him like we just found a human skull in a tree and that's something that we need to talk about. So very quickly the police were called in and they started to investigate, and they brought in a guy named James Webster who was a pathologist with the Birmingham Forensic Laboratory, and he essentially led the initial investigation and came to some pretty good basic conclusions. Because there's one thing to know about this case. It has been hijacked and molded in all sorts of different ways, and you really have to be careful that you're aware of what source you're getting your information from because it's just one of those cases that people have loved to talk about and add to and lie about and do all sorts of stuff with. But the stuff that comes from James Webster is definitely Legit was he first hand examined the body.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: So he cut this tree open. He found most of the skeleton in. There was missing, some small bones and I think they got a tibia nearby.
Speaker 3: There was pieces of clothing, There was a shoe, there was a.
Speaker 1: Wedding ring, and they you know, when you get a skeleton like that, you're going to reconstruct it and try and figure out who this person was or what they may have been, you know, shaped like right, And they said, well, this is a woman probably about thirty five five feet tall, so you know, quite quite short, with brown hair because I think I mentioned those little bit of hair very gruesomely still on the skull.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you see the picture of that.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And she's probably been gone about eighteen months, maybe longer. And like I mentioned, animals had gotten into these bones and you know, munched on them some, right.
Speaker 2: So Webster was like, I'm pretty sure this is a murder. There's a few things that stand out to me. One stuffed into the jaw pretty deeply into the jaw was a piece of the taffeta from the woman's dress. Yeah, and enough that it was enough of the piece of the dress that he was like, this could have asphyxiated somebody if it was stuffed into their mouth while they were still alive.
Speaker 3: Yeh.
Speaker 2: Probably wasn't a dress eater, so maybe this is murder. He also said that there's no way that this person was placed into this tiny opening. So it was about twelve inches by twenty four inches, like say a third of a meter by two thirds of a meter, Yeah, which is a very tiny place, even for a five foot woman. Like that's a I get claustrophobic just thinking about that. And that if they were dead already, then like rigor mortis would have prevented them from being pushed into there even And then also, this is not the kind of place that a person's just going to crawl into on their own accord, Like they were placed in there, possibly while alive still, which is one of the ghastlier aspects of this case. And so Webster said, you know, you put all this together, I'm pretty sure this is a murder that we're looking at.
Speaker 1: The Other thing they had to go on was as far as clues go was they had most of the jaw intact, and so they thought, hey, maybe we can find.
Speaker 3: A dental match. They were not able to.
Speaker 1: Now that they had this kind of rough physical description, they thought, well, let's come through missing persons reports. Did not find anything matching that, and so the case went cold for a while. They just kind of put it on the shelf. Hagleywood itself, we should describe it a little bit. It is on a private estate, but it wasn't like gated and walled up such that you couldn't access it, because people would use it. People would have picnics there while the blitz was going on and cities were being bombed. People would leave Birmingham sometimes and even sleep out there around Hagleywood where it was a little quieter.
Speaker 3: And then a weird thing.
Speaker 1: Happened in March of nineteen forty four, so this is about almost a year afterward. Their graffiti started popping up around town around Birmingham and we'll see elsewhere with white chalk letters and all caps on these brick walls. Two messages at first, one said Hagley would Bella and another said who put Bella down? The witch elm wyh dash Hagley Wood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is where we get the name of the victim that everybody knows, and the type of tree that the victim was found in that everybody knows from graffiti from an anonymous person. But it was enough that the police were like, Okay, this seems a little weird. There were other people who started to kind of copycat the whole thing once the paper started writing about it, but there was at least a third one a couple days later that was clearly written by this the first person who wrote the first two. And they were like, maybe this person knows who it was and they want to find justice for the woman. And they looked they they reopen the case and this is I mean, they'd already really extensively investigated, having like both both jaws. They're like, great, we'll do dental records and we'll find who it is. Nothing matched. They tried to comb through all of the missing persons reports, no one matched. They get this, chuck, did you see that? They investigated the shoe and got really far with it. They traced the shoe that they found with her back to the Waterfoot Company in Lancashire, Okay, and they traced down all but six of the owners of all but six of the pears. They were sold in a market stall, So this wasn't like looking through the market's credit card receipts cards. No, like they really were doing some light work here, and you know, hats off to him because let's not forget England was getting bombed almost nightly by the LUFTWAFFA. There was food rationing, there was a war on and they investigated this random, you know, dead person that hard and then they reopened the case. I'm just saying I think they did a good job with what they were working with totally.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I don't know when credit cards came about to Maybe that's a good shorty So if I'm wrong, I imagine they sprung from credit accounts like with a store or something. But yeah, maybe we should do it on that. I bet it's Diner's Club.
Speaker 2: I think it was Diner's Club, Impact with Telly Savalis. No, that was Players Club.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, was it okay because he was a player?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: You noted some other graffiti's one of the ones that seemed to be from the same hand. This was in hales Owen, and another town nearby. This is different just because a had a different name, and this one said, who put Lubella l u e b e l l A Lubella in the witch Elm? And we mentioned that even though it seems like a copycat had done it because it was in different script, it just gave them another name to look for. And so they looked for Loubella as well and came up cold as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, they looked for everybody, Bella Lubella, Isabella, lou Bega, everybody, and nothing came up.
Speaker 3: Right knowing he's going to pop up on this show.
Speaker 2: That was one of the best pranks ever played on us.
Speaker 1: Pretty good as you don't know what we're talking about, it's just an Easter egg, and listen to every episode and you'll learn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so the witch Elm thing. For those of us who aren't familiar with with British trees, sure, the name witch Elm does not mean witch w i t c h. It's you spelled it before, it's w y c h And it comes from an old English word maybe vice vis w i c and that means smooth or supple, and that that describes the bark of a witch elm has nothing to do with witches. Witches are not associated with the witch elm. It's not even spelled the same. And yet there's been an association with witchcraft and this case at least in part because of that, even among Brits, Like there was a folklorist an archaeologist named Margaret Murray who loved to spin a good yarn and she was one of the first people to associate this case with witches and basically said, witches killed this lady.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she wrote a book, a prominent folklorist and archaeologist, she wrote a book, you know, many books, but one of them was called the Witch Cult in Western Europe. So she was really into this thing and this kind of idea, and she had a theory that she had been promoting that European witches were in part of this ancient fertility cult where they had you know, sacrifices and things like that made. And she was there in Birmingham in nineteen forty five investigating a different occult murder where a farmer had been killed through the chest and pinned down with a pitchfork. While she was there, she hears about Bella and the witch elm and she's like, well, that's right up my alley, and very quickly was like, oh well, this was clearly some kind of witchy, witchcraft occult sacrifice that happened, because putting corpses in a tree is a form of ancient tree worship, and so that's obviously what happened here. Also that you know this severed hand that we found near the tree with the bones, I guess that the handbones that's part of an ancient thing called the hand of glory, which you dug up some stuff on which I thought was super interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's nothing like what it sounds like with rind of glory. Instead, it's an old burglar's superstition that you would take a severed hand and put a candle in it, like make it hold a candle, or you would basically attach candles to all five fingers that tips of them, and then you'd light it, and if it stayed lit, then that meant that everybody in the house you were about to rob was asleep. If any of them went out, that meant that there was somebody still awake, and you shouldn't rob that house. It had nothing to do with witchcraft and then even more so, there was no hand found severed from the body. That doesn't appear in any of the initial police reports. Yeah, it's it's a great example of the lies that came up so to legitimize this idea that it was the hand of glory. Somebody just said along the way, maybe even Margaret Murray, that the hand was severed and found at the trunk of the tree. And you will see that everywhere, yea, even in ones that don't mention witchcraft. It's just that's how cases like this just get you know, that's how they become unsolvable over time. But I mean, I guess it doesn't really matter, but for some reason, it's just always ticked me off.
Speaker 3: No I get it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you have your phone, but I just took said you a picture of and I just want to shout it out because it looks so darn good on Etsy, a hand of glory candle. Oh yeah, the company is wailing dip candles and it is a frighteningly realistic old hand with candlewicks coming out of each of the fingers in the thump.
Speaker 2: I got to check this out. Let me go grab my phone. Oh my gosh, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: So Josh really did go get his one, Like, it.
Speaker 2: Doesn't even look old. It looks like they just severed a hand and planted some wicks on it.
Speaker 3: Like, well it doesn't look young.
Speaker 2: Well okay, so it looks like an aged person's hand, but it's not like a mummifi.
Speaker 1: No, no, no no, it looks like a real hand. And I'm hoping we move these things. It's for this company. It's kind of pricey. It's eighty five bucks, but I reckon if you amortize that over like ten Halloween's that's not too bad.
Speaker 3: It's like eight to fifty a year to have a good spook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do feel like we need to change the name Hand of Glory though, first of all, it doesn't make sense, and secondly, sure it really does sound dirty. Let's just be honest. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, attaching the word glory to other objects, it's just.
Speaker 3: That's not so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. Blaze of Glory could.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just ask Jerry Jones. So the idea that it's witchcraft was, like we said, really just sort of invented by Margaret Murray who happened to be there investigating in another case altogether.
Speaker 2: Yeah. By the way, that was Charles Walton, who was murdered almost certainly by his employer in a raid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. So that wasn't witchy either. It was just like I'm pitchforking your hay and I get mad at you, and so I'm going to kill you with the thing in my hand, right and you know what, Actually should probably take a break here, oh, because we've been going for nineteen minutes now and it's almost.
Speaker 3: Kind of a good little little cliffhanger.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll be right back, all right. So I mentioned a cliffhanger. It wasn't really a cliffhanger. I'm not sure why I said that. But let's jump forward a little bit to nineteen fifty three, where the story takes a turn. There was a journalist there named Wilfrid. Wilfrid Byford Jones apparently had a.
Speaker 3: Pen name that was Quay star M.
Speaker 2: Basically q U A E S T O R. And you can see the A and the E joined to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could see that.
Speaker 1: But old Wilfrid wrote a bunch of very speculative articles about Bella's murder, which only led to confusion and falsehoods. A lot of it had to do with witches, of course, and blaming stuff on the Roman people, you know what they called gypsies at the time, like coming through town doing something like that, and all this to say. One of these stories was caught by a reader who wrote in to Buy for Jones under the name of Anna of Claverly and basically was like, I know the deal. I'll just read it real quick. Finish your finish. Your articles are e the witch elm crimes. By all means, they are interesting to your readers, but you will never solve the mystery. The one person who could give you the answer is now beyond the jurisdiction of earthly courts, in other words, dead. The affair is closed and involves no witches, black magic or moonlight rites. The only clues that can give you are that the person responsible for the crime died insane in nineteen forty two, and the victim was Dutch and arrived illegally in England about nineteen for one, I have no wish to recall anymore.
Speaker 2: Right, And the police said, well, tes, because you're going to have a secret meeting with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess.
Speaker 1: They found Anna and brought her in for an interview.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Anna's name was Una moss Up and she eventually became Una Hainsworth. But during the time of the murder she was married to a guy named Jack moss Up. And I saw alternative alternatively that he worked in a local munitions factory, or that he was a RAF instructor, or that he worked in a factory building plane engines. Regardless he existed. He was married to Una, and he Una told the story to the cops that one night Jack brought home a friend named Van Raalt, a Dutchman, and that apparently at some point Jack admitted to Una that he was on Van Raalt's payroll and Van Ralt was a spy for the Nazis, and apparently Jack was feeding him information about local factories stuff to help the Luftwaffe plan their bombings. So Jack was a real grade A bastard as far as things went, because he traded his country in for some spending money. And Una said, one day Jack came home in March or April of nineteen forty one, came home late. He was drunk, but he was super agitated.
Speaker 1: Right said, you know, pale as a ghost. He said he'd been at a pub with Van Ralt and what he called a Dutch piece. Who was this Dutch woman. I didn't know they use as that kind of language back then, or maybe it meant something else. I have no idea, but those were the words that he used, and then he said things got awkward. You can just chalk that up to understatement of the year. She I guess, was also drunk, passed out in Van Ralt's car, and Van Ralt supposedly, as this story goes, had a very strange idea was Hey, let's go stick this woman in that tree and she'll sober up in the more and come to her senses. And Jack, apparently, Una said, was never the same. He started drinking more and more, quit working, still had this money. But eventually Una said, I'm out of here and I'm leaving you. I'm taking our kid. She saw him again about a year later, in nineteen forty two, when he was really coming apart at the seam, saying that he keeps seeing this woman in his mind in the tree. She was leering at him, and he was eventually committed to a mental hospital, where he died about eight months before Bella's body was discovered.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he died of as far as his death certificate is concerned, a combination of cerebral softening, myocardial degeneration, chronic nephritis, and acute acute something insanity. I can't even remember my own appreciation. But you put those together and that guys like dead dead dead. So UNA's story sound like this actually all makes sense from what I can tell. She provided information that you wouldn't have just been able to glean from the papers. And what's more, she didn't really have much to gain. She wrote in anonymously and resisted coming forward, so it wasn't like she was a publicity having.
Speaker 3: It'd be a weird thing to make up.
Speaker 2: She would be like a mastermind attention getter to really like, yes, it would be a weird thing to say, to make.
Speaker 1: Up, right, Yeah, I mean it's a weird thing to do, to have that idea, like, hey, let's go stuff that woman in a tree.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's oh, God, beyond the no, that's weird.
Speaker 1: And then it's a weird thing for that not to have happened, and for this woman to sort of invent it.
Speaker 3: It's all just beyond the pale.
Speaker 2: Exactly. One of the things is though, is so like if this was a joke, what you know, what tree? How did van Raalt know that that tree right was there in the first plason that it had this twelve x twenty four you know space in it. The thing is, this is far and away the most legitimate explanation for what happened. This is an unsolved case. It's an unsolved mystery. But for my money, like, this is as close as where we're going to get. No.
Speaker 3: I agree.
Speaker 1: You know, cops obviously searched for Van Rault. They searched for, you know, records wise, a Dutch national who may have.
Speaker 3: Fit the description that Una gave.
Speaker 1: But it went cold yet again, and then we flashed forward to nineteen sixty eight. There's a writer named Donald McCormick who picked up the case for a book he was writing called Murder by Witchcraft. And this is when he I mean, this guy doesn't have a very good reputation as a writer because it seems like he would just they called him a fantasy historian, like he would just make stuff up, make a lot of weird claims and theories. He would say things like, you know, I was able to interview someone exclusively who was anonymous and that no one else could talk to, and here is that interview. And in this case, he said, you know this interview that I got with this guy that no one else knows about, or we'll talk to and who shall remain anonymous was a former Nazi spy recruiter hiding in Paraguay. And Bella was a Dutch born German spy named Clara or Clara Bella. And I've even got Nazi intelligence files on this. I'm not going to show you, but it says that she parachuted into Birmingham in March of April nineteen forty one, So the timeline fits, and she happened to look just exactly like who was described by Una.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Dave points out that this guy had a habit of making his puzzle pieces fit together a little too neatly. So essentially he found out about Una moss Up story and decided to make it real by corroborating it with his imagination. His book, though, is the book that we get the very famous pictures that I was familiar that caught my attention as a kid. But it's really important to point out here tree that he shows is not the tree that she was found in. You said toward the beginning of the episode that the cops chopped that tree down to look for more evidence to it, so that tree doesn't exist anymore. And yet that's that picture that Donald McCormick put forth as the tree is what you see on the internet still today is the tree she was found in, and that that's possibly not even the kind of tree that she might not have been found in a witch elm. The cops mentioned that she was found in an elm, but that's it. And then apparently some people have been able to examine the photos of the original tree and said it's not a witch elm because you don't cut witch elms down that way.
Speaker 3: That story about you seeing that picture, when did that happen?
Speaker 2: I was probably like ten to eleven. I think, probably in like a school library.
Speaker 3: Book or something I thought you saw recently.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, no, no, that's that's how I was walking around with this case for that many years, Like I saw it in some book when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: I gotcha, I can tell I can.
Speaker 2: I can even remember like the cellphone covering of the book cover, even feel it my fingers right now. I can smell it. That's it smells awesome.
Speaker 1: It makes much more sense because you were talking in those sort of ways about it, and I thought it was recent, and I was like, that's a weird nostalgia for something that happened a few weeks ago.
Speaker 2: It makes me nostalgic for yesterday.
Speaker 3: I can still remember that moment in December.
Speaker 2: Right, No, not like that.
Speaker 3: I got little kid stuff, all right.
Speaker 1: So that's that book aside. Another twist came in twenty thirteen. The Independent ran a story about Bella, connecting it to a spy named Joseph Jacobs, who's a German spy who evidently parachuted into a field near Cambridge in February nineteen forty one, got hurt really badly, could not walk firer's pistol in the air to attract some help ideally, and.
Speaker 2: Then said, hey fuss.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the cops come and he's in police custody. He has a wireless transmitter, a fake ID, almost five hundred pounds in cash, but also a headshot a photograph of a woman, but like a professional headshot of this attractive, smiling woman, and on the back of it in English it said, my dear, I love you Forever your Clara Landau July nineteen forty.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, so there's a lot that's weird about this. So Clara Landau, this picture of Clara Landau was actually a picture of Clara Bowery, who was a well known I saw her described as a movie star, but at least a movie actress and a cabaret singer, a German Lily bunchdu and so yeah, exactly, I think that's almost exactly who this could have been based on. She was. Apparently as far as Joseph Jakobs has has said to m I five in multiple interviews that this was his mistress that they met in Berlin, Bowerley singing with a group called the Bernard Eda Orchestra. That just goes to show you Dave's dedication to research, and that Jakobs and Bowerley were both crypto Nazis, meaning that they were not actual Nazis, they were pretending to be Nazis, and they had fooled the Germans, or at least Yakob had, into taking him on as a spy and sending him to England. He planned to get to England, defect and make his way to America, but first he wanted to set up a fake operation enough to convince the Germans to send Bowery after him. And this this is it, that's it like that, That's what Joseph Jakob said. But The Independent was like, Oho, let's fill in some blanks and come up with our own theory Donald McCormick style.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they did some research. They looked for obviously, for records for Clara Bowery, and they did find information and confirm, yes, she was a cabaret singer in Germany. She would have been thirty five years old at the time of the murder, just like the skeleton, you know, seemingly confirmed. But had she come to England was the big question. All they found was a Clara with a K, Clara Sophie Bowerley, who was thirty five, who did go to Germany, I'm sorry, from Germany to England and stayed from nineteen thirty to thirty two.
Speaker 3: But that was kind of it.
Speaker 1: No information at all about what she did in England, but they ran with it anyway.
Speaker 2: They did, I mean think about it, so like she left a full eight nine years before Bella and the which Elm happened was killed. Yeah, and yet yeah. The Independent's like, so what so based on all this with a bunch of pie filling that they mashed in with it, the Independent came up with a new theory and I say, we take a little break and come back and talk about it after this.
Speaker 3: Ooh.
Speaker 2: So, like I was saying, that Independent came up with their own pet theory for the Bella and the Witch Elm case. And what they said was okay. So Clara Clara Bowerley had come to England in the thirties and was a performer, a cabaret singer here as well as in Germany, and that she became known as Clara Bella, like maybe there is a stage name she adopted or something like that, but it was a mashup of her name Clara Bowerley, and that was the foundation that they based everything else on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they said, here's what she did. She parachuted into England in nineteen forty one. She was, you know, trying to catch up with her parachuting boyfriend, Joseph Yakups. And they thought that was the only way to get it to a country, I guess, to drop into the middle of a field. And they said, hey, what if this Clara was who was in that tree who was killed by Van Rault, Like we think that that's who was in the witch elm, and that graffiti artist had to have known that Clarabella Orbella was her name and tried to get justice for this murder.
Speaker 2: Right, and they walked away like this. Yeah, could you hear that? Did that come through?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think so?
Speaker 2: So. Yeah, So there's some problems with this theory. Number one, she was not Clara Bowerley was not five feet tall. She was approaching six feet tall.
Speaker 1: That's the biggest problem with this, Right, that's a pretty big problem.
Speaker 2: I would I would say that there's an even bigger problem than this, and that is that she died a full year after Bella did in a German hospital of a barbituate overdose.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Those two very large problems with this story. That didn't not keep them from running the story.
Speaker 2: No, and this is twenty thirteen. This isn't the Independent, you know decades ago. This was well, I guess a decade ago, but still it was recent enough that they should know better than making up basically new theories and printing them as if they're basically fact. So one of the good things that came out of this was of Yoseph Jakobs being brought into this case, although just totally like that was the independent that did that. That was like, he was not mentioned that he was not tangential the case. He had nothing to do with it, basically, but his granddaughter, Giselle K Jakobs or Jacobs, I'm not sure which one she goes by. She has a PhD In ancient history, so she knows about being a historian, and she's applied some of that to the Bella and the witch Elm case on a website called Yosef Jakobs dot info and it is very well researched and well written information about this case. So if you're interested in it at all, go check that out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, finally, which is great if you were wondering about DNA, you know sometimes they can you know, find DNA on old stuff. But everything has been lost. Apparently all everything was being passed around and moved around in different boxes and different labs. And this is in the nineteen forties and fifties, and no one knows if it even exists at all anymore, if it's you know, hidden away besides the arc of the Covenant in some warehouse or something, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean it's possible that someone will find it at some point, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it might still be out there, or it could have been lost, or a building could have burned down like who knows. Like our lost episode, Jerry has no idea.
Speaker 2: No idea. That's gone for good. It's not in any warehouse.
Speaker 3: Anywhere, which is probably a good thing.
Speaker 2: And now we'll wrap up this episode with five minutes on the ancient woodland management technique of coppacing.
Speaker 3: Very funny.
Speaker 2: You got anything else?
Speaker 3: I have nothing else?
Speaker 2: Well, go forth if this floated your boat and read more about Bella and the Witch elm the case. Just be wary of where your information's from. And there's a lot more to it. There's a lot, well, there's a lot more out there to read. How about that? And in the meantime, it's time for listener mail.
Speaker 1: I'm going to read this and preface it with we got quite a few emails. Remember when you tied John Williams. I guess Star Wars people are going to be so mad. Is it Darth Vader's theme or the Imperial Death March?
Speaker 2: One of those Imperial something or other.
Speaker 3: Something like that. You tied that to who was it bach, I.
Speaker 2: Don't remember Chopin's funeral march n.
Speaker 3: That's that's right.
Speaker 1: And we got quite a few music people that wrote in and were you know, gave us the older hey, will actually these differences here and there and here and there fair enough. Not knocking those people for knowing much more about that kind of thing than us.
Speaker 3: You just know what your ears told you.
Speaker 2: Well. Also, I n Williams and she was like, yep, I love that funeral march.
Speaker 3: I keep up the good work boys.
Speaker 1: He wrote our theme song too, by the way, sure no one knows that, no, but this is from lad who gets your back. Hey, guys, hope all is well. Finally somebody said it. Josh John Williams likes to borrow heavily from classic works.
Speaker 3: Please listen to Lesaca.
Speaker 1: Doon the Right of Spring by Stravinsky, and you will hear the theme from Jaws, as well as many other hits that mister Williams has taken on loan. Not saying he doesn't done a lot for the genre, but if this is a sampling issue, he'd be paying a lot of money to those composers. Keep up the work and stay sexy and that is from Ladd.
Speaker 2: Thanks Lad, appreciate that. Loved your turn as the little Kid and Lost Boys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I oh, by the way, we watched The Lost Boys with Ruby the other night. Would she think that's her second and sort of adult movie in a row after a Terminator two?
Speaker 3: She loved it.
Speaker 1: I looked it up beforehand and I was like, surely Lost Boys has some gratuitous nudity or.
Speaker 3: Some awful like sexy stuff, and it really doesn't.
Speaker 1: It's some kind of gruesome stuff. But she's totally good with that and a little bit of language, and she knows all that stuff. And she really dug the Lost Boys because she likes all that spooky, witchy stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a really good movie.
Speaker 1: And you know, it was pretty fun. It holds up in the way that eighties movies like that hold up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely did. I saw it not too long ago, and I was like, this is like I said it before, I'll say it again. It's a good movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agreed.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks a lot, Lad. Again, I appreciate being backed up. That was very refreshing. And if you want to be like Lad and back me up about some stand I took that everybody tried to shout me down on and I said no, I'm not going to be shouted down. They're like, yes you are, and I said no, I'm not, and then it just kind of hung out there until you email in. We love that kind of thing. You can send us that email to stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 3: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts myheart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.