Speaker 1: Natively in Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome, Hey, Angela, Tiffany, and Andrew. My name is Dev Myers, and I have a question.
Speaker 4: This question has.
Speaker 3: Been on my mind for some time now, but you know, it's definitely come to the forefront due to this new administration and just continued reminders that this the system that we built was not made for us, even though we put in the work. My question is, should we as black people come together and make a collective effort to try and establish a majority in a state. I think that the reason why this question is even coming up for me is that, you know, we did really well in are you know, local spaces, whether it's city council, mayor but those powers are pretty limited. While it it's a good thing that we're doing that, right, I think we should really think about us as black people securing a majority in a state because it does come with a lot of power, right, even more even so dwindling or limiting the harmful effects of oppressive policies from the federal government. So I just want to ask you, it's just something that you guys think we should discuss as leaders? Should this be on the table?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Welcome home y'all to the mini pod.
Speaker 1: We had Dev Meyers, our viewer, kick us off with a poigt question. So if you heard this week's podcast, you heard us talk about who exactly are our leaders? It came up organically and Angela said we should do our minipod on that. So I thought no better time than to do this now and to have one of our viewer questions kick off the conversation. I got to say, Angela Andrew, I love this question. The interesting thing is we we there is no states where black people are the majority, but there are states where people of color make up the majority. They call them majority minority states. But it does speak to because let's say, okay, we build a little Wakanda right here in America. Who are we electing president as this Wakanda? Who is our Wakandan cabinet? So I don't really have an answer. I have thoughts about us being a leaderless community, but I want to hear from the president and the chief staff of the Blacks, Angela Raie, and what she got to say about it.
Speaker 5: A nice try. Negro This was on you because in the last podcast you said who are our leaders? So I was like, oh, Tip, I want to know who you say the leaders are.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I cannot think of somebody who I would say this is the leader for black people. And I think the reason why Angela and I'm Andrews because when we look at the civil rights movement, right we could name, you know, there, I would say probably twenty leaders that we could say were the people who were leading movements.
Speaker 2: I think as our.
Speaker 1: Rights expanded and now they're shrinking as we built wealth amongst ourselves that later was stolen the cycle we go on, our interests disaggregated, and social media democratized who has a voice. So then everyone became leaders in their own right, and some people became so seduced by the idea of being a leader but not actually building change.
Speaker 2: So I think we're at this moment.
Speaker 1: I don't know if there's a single person who should wear the crown and take on that responsibility. I think there are people who lead different things. I think Latasha Brown who runs Black Voters Matter. If there were a cabinet position of you got to go out and mobilize people or you're the chief administrator of love. Then I would say, Tasha, is that just because the mainstream outlets don't, you know, profile her on sixty minutes, you all should know, like the work that she has done tirelessly for decades, she is a You cannot tell the story of America without telling without involving Natasha Brown in that.
Speaker 2: So I say she's a leader. I think you guys are leaders.
Speaker 1: We talked in the main podcast about Andrew founding Yeo Young elected officials that you know. I think that cast a wide net of influence across our local politics. Angela, I've written about you. I have the pleasure of being your friend for a couple of decades. But I think you changed the way I know you've done a lot more. I'm just talking about in media. You changed the way that people consume media because for so long people didn't see themselves reflected. I think you added significant ratings to CNN and.
Speaker 2: Brought people in.
Speaker 1: That was the cake that you gave them so they could eat the broccoli later. But people started paying attention to politics because you made the message so so digestible and so plain, and because you weren't for the bullshit when you were sitting across from people, so that positioned you to be a leader. You use that platform and then do other things you had already. You were already a leader on Capitol Hill, not just in the professional positions, but you came to make change. You know, you build impact strategies, so you're you're a leader. I've certainly tried to be a leader and lead things in my capacity in journalism by starting products, building newsrooms.
Speaker 2: So I don't know that we can have one one leader. But maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 4: I like that. I mean I was actually going to challenge the assertion that we needed a personality individual to follow. I think the model of leadership has evolved over over time, and as the mediums have expanded, people are getting information in different ways through different platforms. We got to cover all the turf. But before I before I go there to make a point on the leader or not a leader, I just want to respectfully say to the brother, this is the list of states in this order that we need to go take over. District of Columbia, where we are already forty four percent of the population, Mississippi, where we're thirty eight percent of the population, losing Anna thirty three percent, Georgia thirty three percent, the state of Maryland thirty two percent. That's a plurality when you're talking about elections and trying to move the direction. And the crazy thing about this, y'all, With the exception of the District of Columbia and Maryland, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Georgia are all states led by deep, deep red conservative elected officials at every at the various levels, from the courts to the governor's mansion to the legislative arms. If we were able to not only show up in these states but also be registered and then active the vote, man change change the political map, it totally shifts it. Right. So there's some strategy that should and could go into whether or not there were places right here in this land here that we cultivated where we can actually take on a state, and those three states Mississippi, Louisiana, and Georgia would be perfect when you consider that we would shift, we would turn over the table on the political map and the electoral college map that right now increasingly is cutting black people out of it, cutting impact out of it.
Speaker 1: That's what I have someone to say about pioneering, But I want to hear. Sorry, I'm sorry, Andrew, I was rude. I arge you, but I don't want to. I want to say something about pioneering, but I want and a little way in on this leadership question. But Andrew, don't let me forget because what you just lay down with that list I got thoughts. We'll go ahead, and Angel I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I hope we go all the way there. And then finally I'll just say I love the fact that maybe we can't name just one leader. I would just love for the leaders, wherever they are in their respective places and whatever they're leading, that they actually step up, speak truth to power and take us somewhere. Because if you're not bringing some folks along, you're a man or a woman taking a walk.
Speaker 5: As they say, come on Chinese proverb. I you know first, I want to just add I would love to know what Alabama's numbers are too, because you didn't name them. So I'm just curious how far behind they are in our overall demographic and is it the demographic of voting age people or is it the black demographic period Curious about those.
Speaker 4: Those percentages were black percentage of the population in those days, five percent, not necessarily.
Speaker 1: According to the US SenSys, the black population is twenty six point six percent in Alabama.
Speaker 5: Interesting. I would wouldn't have thought it would be that different. But I guess you know what is fascinating to me about this moment, Like I agree with you guys obviously, Like even when you go back and look at the Civil rights era, sure, doctor King was the face of the movement, but I think that if he were alive today, he would tell us there was a whole group of folks who were actively engaged, and even if they weren't all under the same umbrella, they were marching literally towards the same goal I am. I wonder though, like if we were put in a position where they said, you know, if it's the Trump administration, since they're in power now, they're like, hey, we need one spokesperson for black people, who's going I think that would turn into battle Royale. But I would love to know, Like, if you had to give me your top five list, who you send it. And I'm also curious about if you only had one call to make to you know, like a black leader, like to represent your national interests, who are you calling? Why does that matter? I think that we have to get to a point where not only were we just picked one, but if groups of us are picking one person, then we have a table. We have a kitchen cabinet, a board of advisors of folks who are authorized to make moves on our behalf. When you consider, I mean, I don't even know if they were deputized or not, if they just kind of took charge. But when you consider what happened in eighteen sixty five when the Secretary of War and General Stanton went into Savannah, Georgia to talk to Garrison Fraser nineteen ministers. So at that point, the church is where leadership existed for the black community. They negotiated what the terms of our freedom would be on the other side of emancipation, the Emancipation Proclamation. And it wasn't because there was, you know, this edict that came down from President Lincoln at the time. It's because there was just a massacre that they were like, oh, we got it was so consider George Floyd of eighteen sixty five, but it was a bunch of black folks that got killed at a river, right Like when you consider that there were nineteen of them. Even then at the table, we are a communal people, so it's not like we really need to pick a singular leader. But if we had to have our starting five or the folks who were going to beat the other team at the All Star Game, Tiff, I know you appreciate those analogies of our residents first expert.
Speaker 2: What who who.
Speaker 5: We put in a game like this.
Speaker 1: Is an ongoing conversation. I love that question. I would love to hear from the audience too.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: I want to make sure we're asking correctly.
Speaker 1: You're saying you're top five leaders, Like if you send it, but who's that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: If the president says, send me the top five leaders, you don't have to be this president, any leader of the nation.
Speaker 5: No, I think I think it should be this predident, Okay, especially because it's ultra inflammatory, because then then if you think about all of his rhetoric, he's definitely the one that would be like, I need the one black. Who's the one black? I'm not talking to all you one black? So if you if everybody had one black and we knew we were gonna have to narrow down from this top five, who's on your top five? I like that once you got your your one if you got your one, sending your one, But like right now, you know a lot of people. I think, especially when when I was the CBC executive director, Russia Black Hacke's executive director, we caught so much heat anytime we push back against President Obama, I think there are a lot of people would say President Obama. To Andrew's point from the last podcast we were teasing this, a lot of people might say, Michelle Obama, what are your whys? Like, what are the things that they're leading where you're saying this makes them the authority on black America. I'm not just talking about them time. If you say Reverend Sharpton or Jesse Jackson Senior, or you say resurrect doctor King, or if you'd say, actually like Revend Bernice King or Corey Booker's my guy, or you know, I like Hakeem Jeffers, Jeffers, he seems to represent my interests, or you know doctor Umar, I want.
Speaker 2: To know about.
Speaker 4: I like the question I would probably answer, I'm not gonna I'm not going to no. No, this is this is what I would say. I would say. I have said there are characteristics that I wanted a negotiating room if what we're doing is sending a group of people to negotiate with the president. I can tell you two individuals that I want to two characteristics. I want one. I want the person who speaks the language of the person we're negotiating with, right they they know the subtext and somebody call it also the diplomat. And I also want the hail raiser in the room. And because I need the I need the person who we are negotiating with to know that you can deal with this, you can deal with that.
Speaker 5: That just saying with Engineine.
Speaker 4: Some other things that would come he would be would be how I would make that.
Speaker 2: I honestly I pick it up, pick it up. I'm actually not kidding.
Speaker 1: I really Angela would definitely be on my top five, but I need more thought into a more comprehensive list.
Speaker 2: And especially if you.
Speaker 1: Got one call to make, like me and my friend are our friend Albert, we always joke I.
Speaker 2: Was like, something happened to me calling Angela Rye. Yeah, I would say that, so I you.
Speaker 1: Would definitely be in my top five, but I need more time to think. I have to we have to revisit the conversation because I need more time.
Speaker 5: I would let me tell you. Let me tell you, guys, I think I agree with Andrew. Like Andrew for me is my resident diplomat.
Speaker 2: Want Andrew? You got your top five? Randy?
Speaker 5: Sure? No, I well maybe, but I will, I say, I definitely want Andrew. I don't know which one, but I would want a faith leader who comes to mind for me right now is Reverend Haines Freddy Haynes. I love Reverend Barber too.
Speaker 4: Dang, we all have places. No, no, no, no, I.
Speaker 5: Know Reverend Barber is a good one though too. I appreciate this too. But I think if we were going to have a meeting about the needs of the whole, like all of America, I would have Reverend Barbara on that one. I think for Black America, I'm picking pretty hang, okay, I think I would want like a black intellectual. So somebody that record represents academia.
Speaker 2: You say, you're not saying who or do you not?
Speaker 5: I know, but I'm trying. I tried to give you a name, and then you threw another name, and I was like, oh, that's a good one. But then I had to retrack. If I had to pick a black academician, I would pick see I'd be trying to make a point. So the person I'm thinking about is the Harvard president they got rid of day day. Yeah, I would want I want to do that just because it would be like, yeah, you thought you was gonna take her out of Harvard, but she's in the most important room, you know that kind of a thing. And then I want, like, if there was a way to I don't even know she well she would have to like violate some rule to do this, probably, But if there was a way to have someone go and make the constitutional arguments that we need to be made, I would want it to be the good sister Katanji Brown Jackson.
Speaker 1: I know you're gonna say her win her Cowie with the calorie shells our requirement in fact, can you wear a Cowie suit?
Speaker 5: And then I would want a business leader at the table that can make the economic arguments. And so my business leader that I would pick because I trust him and I know he's always had our back when we're looking we don't is Robert Smith?
Speaker 2: Well, how many do I have life?
Speaker 5: I don't have enough women?
Speaker 1: Oh I had to Well, you reserve a right to come back with a more comprehensive list because.
Speaker 5: Well, I feel like civil rights also needs to be represented. And I'll tell you that my battle on that right now is that it feels like a lot of the organizations. Oh you know who I would pick. He's not over the organization anymore, but one of my favorite people to learn from, to listen to on strategy. Oh, I gotta have two. It's two of them. Actually, I call them my siblings. That's for Shot Robinson and Alicia Garza. And damn it, I have not even left out Latasha. I need to get to combine with you.
Speaker 4: We still need to squad just outside the room.
Speaker 5: I need you to be in there. So you go a report out exact, come back to read out. We have to read out.
Speaker 2: We'll give this some thought, mate. I hope we can do this next week.
Speaker 5: This is really hard, and then a week to figure it out. This this is my last thing, I promise. I just want to think. I want us to think about how historically people who didn't always get the national recognition had some tremendous impact. People always go to Maynard Jackson about what he did for Atlanta in terms of creating black wealth. That yeah, multi generation, and so I also think it's important for us to stop making it seem like the platform on which you stand determines the impact and the quality of your leadership. That is not always true. And it also is not true that just because you have a platform that you are also a leader. So I love that. I mean, at least in my opinion. That doesn't mean I'm not meaning to influence with the audience fills. But from my perspective, I think it's important. I think the price of leadership is responsibility, and everything with the platform is not responsible.
Speaker 1: Okay, y'all are seeing this on Monday, drop your top five to answer Angela's question and we will have our that's our homework. We'll get our top five and then we'll come back and neither discuss this on the main you're going to answer this question.
Speaker 4: From a single leader leader, Well, we have always looked. In fact, you can go any church any Sunday and folks, well where the leader at? Where is our And I just want us to resist this Eurocentric model of leadership that it has to be, you know, this sort of the survival of the fittest type. This is the Donald Trump mold, the strong man you know, parody really that he parodies. We as a community are so complex, diverse, incredible, whatever it is.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I love the fact that we are thinking about this in the way of how the community shows up in this space. Yeah, and not how one person shows up in the space. That weight. That weight is just too heavy for one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just want to close this out really quickly by saying something about pioneering, because that is what it will take to the viewers question. It will take us being willing to uproot and go establish community in some of these places. And if we did that all across the Bible Belt and in the South, we could literally change the electoral map of this country.
Speaker 2: I want to shout out Michael Harriet, who is doing just that.
Speaker 1: Michael Harriet, And I'm saying this because he's talked about it and he's going to be writing about it.
Speaker 2: You all know he's a brilliant writer. But he bought.
Speaker 1: Acres of land in the Deep South and when I tell you, looking at his property, he could build fifty houses, a school, and a hospital on the He bought a plantation. It was a former plantation and he bought it and it is like it is the blackest place I've ever been and it is beautiful and you can literally the slave quarters are still intact on the ground. I mean, it's like going back in time and he's turned it into this beautiful safe space. So it just got me thinking when I was down there, like, yes, that's what it would take. And if the acres of land are not expensive in the Bible Belt, and imagine if a hundred of us said, yeah, we're going to go to Mississippi and buy land and we can't trust the infrastructure here, so we're gonna build our own schools, We're gonna establish our own community. I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm like, the white folks would come kill us. They would come burn it down.
Speaker 5: As as they always have.
Speaker 1: They always have Angela from the Red Summer of nineteen nineteen through the random acts of violence through the Greenwood Dishrict of Tulsa to Elaine, Arkansas. And it wasn't just me like men, women and children. They killed babies, Okay, literal babies. So I think about that, and we'd have to have like serious security. But pioneering is something to think about for us in this time of danger. Should we be pioneering someplace? Should we be setting up compounds someplace, not as doomsdayers, but as you know, we're still keeping our day jobs. We're not to go on occupy Wall Street, but we are, you know, building something ourselves, and it's.
Speaker 4: Getting back in touch with what we already know. Black folks, after their liberation through the Emancipation Proclamation, pioneered their way all the way out west. Yeah, set up whole communities of formerly enslaved and held it down for fors.
Speaker 2: And we don't talk enough about that migration.
Speaker 1: That is how into the family actually, because y'all were in Louisiana, right and then losing, we focus so much on Mississippi Chicago, but there, you know, we fanned out.
Speaker 3: All.
Speaker 5: I want to tell you guys real quick, since we were talking about Georgia a little bit and Tip brought up pioneering, you guys should look up in this for the listeners and YouTube if you haven't. This group of black folks that bought property like ninety six acres in an area they called Freedom Georgia. I had I did an interview with them that we lost. I would love for us to talk to them. They do some incredible things and they're calling it the Black Wall Street of the New South and that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: So I'd love to talk to them on site.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh yeah, that would be great. Pay for it to send us reparation.
Speaker 2: Done done.
Speaker 5: All right, Well, this is a great forward hearing these folks.
Speaker 2: Answers on the top five.
Speaker 5: I know I've looked forward to hearing y'all.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm really gonna give this something. I had a top nine, but we're gonna come back. We're gonna narrow it down to our each of our top five. All right, well, thanks for listening. Be sure to tell your friends about these mini pods that drop, and remember the single pods. Go back and make sure you check out Angela's sidepod that she did on all the executive orders. She dropped that last Tuesday, so you guys, make sure you check that out. We are your host, Tiffany Cross, ANGELAA and Andrew Gillim.
Speaker 4: Welcome home, y'all, Welcome home, everybody.
Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is the production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.