Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Molly John Fast and this is Fast Politics, where we discussed the top political headlines with some of today's best minds.
Speaker 2: And gay couples.
Speaker 1: Rush to get married and have children before the Trump inauguration, always a great sign. We have such a good show for you today the Lincoln Projects Rick Wilson stops by to talk about what Cash Bettel's appointment to the FBI directorship means.
Speaker 2: Then we will talk.
Speaker 1: To the Washington Posts Carolyn Kitchener about the latest horrors in the post row world.
Speaker 2: But first the.
Speaker 3: News Somalie, it was a quiet weekend. Well, everyone ate Turkey and slept through trip to Fenn, but I think there were some interesting stories. So the first one we have is I'm going to shock you here. The Trump administration is laughing at the Democrats decorum.
Speaker 1: This is one of the problems with trying to cover an autocrat right. So Republicans are delighted that Biden took pictures with Trump and did a peaceful transfer of power, or at least did that first meeting. And they think of it as an own because this is.
Speaker 2: All about owning the Libs.
Speaker 1: So Trump campaign people told Rolling Stone some of us have been laughing about it. Democrats spent all this time calling Donald Trump and Nazi and Hitler, and now it's just smile for the cameras. Again, like, this is this fundamental problem we were just talking about with Rick Wilson, and you'll hear us get all cranky with each other. But like, an autocrat as a candidate is different than an autocrat as a president, right, Democrats have this problem, which is they don't want it. They didn't want to normalize the auto, the autocracy and the candidate. But now that he has won, he has.
Speaker 2: To be covered. He has to be covered, period.
Speaker 1: Paragraph So I do think this is very hard to cover. And again this is the fundamental disconnect between covering an autocrat and a democracy and trying to cover what is that normal while still being clear eyed about what is normal. But Democrats had no choice. They had to protect norms and institutions. Do I think it was great that they took photos? Not especially, but do I think that we at least need one party that stands up for the rule of law and the way we do things in this country. And if we had two, just think of what we could do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it could all feel so normal, like twenty fifteen Somali. We now know the makeup of the House and how this Congress is shaken out, and we're starting to understand how Republicans kept their majority in Congress.
Speaker 4: What are you seeing here?
Speaker 1: So this is a really interesting moment because if you look back at the twenty sixteen Congress, I was actually went back and looked at the twenty sixteen Congress. In the twenty sixteen Congress, Democrats had I had only really got shellacked at the House. So Democrats at one hundred and ninety four seats and Republicans had had forty one seats, so they could pretty much do anything in Congress. And in fact, what they did the House Republicans was they shut down the budget. They shut down they shut down the government. That was one of the first things they did. They controlled the House, the Senate, the Presidency, and they shut down the government. So they had two forty one Democrats had one ninety four. Now Republicans have two hundred and twenty seats and Democrats have two fourteen seats. And by the way, that is actually not you know, the final result will be two twenty to two fifteen. That's the GOP majority. That is one of the smallest margins. Ever, It's even smaller than it was last Congress. The Congress when Republicans had tenth Congress was was a bigger margin than this, and they could barely pass anything. So but I think it's important to realize that there's one reason why Republicans won the House as cycle, and it's North Carolina jerrymandering. So they Republican supermajority in North Carolina redrew the districts to favor the GOP North Carolina. This is Wiley Nicol who was a Democratic member of Congress. North Carolina is one of the most jerrymandered states in the country. We have to spend more on litigation than anyone else in the country.
Speaker 2: One of the.
Speaker 1: Poster children for extreme partisan jerrymandering. This again is a little bit of Republicans winning by cheating.
Speaker 3: One of the more disturbing pieces of news that dropped over this holiday weekend was email that Pete Hegseith, who's nominated for Secretary of Defense, mother wrote about him disrespecting women. What are you seeing here?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, Pete Hegsa's mother wrote a email to her son, who is hoping to become director of the Department of Defense, and she sent it on April thirtieth, twenty eighteen, when he was in the middle of a divorce from his second wife, and she said, you are an abuser of women.
Speaker 2: That is the ugly truth. And I have no respect for any man.
Speaker 1: Who belittles that belittles, lies, she sleeps around, and uses women for his own power and ego. Penelope Road, you are the man you have been for years, and as your mother, it pains and embarrasses me to say this, but as a sad, sad truth, your abuse over the years to women, dishonesty, sleeping around, betrayal, debasing, and belittling needs to be called out. So this was after his second wife had filed for a divorce, after hegseeth head coworker in the email, Penelope Road, Sam is a good mother and a good person under the circumstances you created. And I know deep down that you know. For you to label her as unstable for your own advantages, despicable and abusive. Anyway, there's a lot to this storm and it's really quite upsetting.
Speaker 2: And you know then the mother did, in fact.
Speaker 1: Say she had written back and sent another email, but she did not share it with the New York Times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is coupled with many of the remarks he's made about women do not paint a good picture for the fellow We should give a little primer. So President Trump truth this weekend that he might give one hundred percent tariffs against bricks. I noticed a lot of people don't know what bricks is, which is Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
Speaker 4: What do you think about this?
Speaker 1: So this is Trump threatening something, threatening to do something that probably isn't going to happen anyway. Trump is very good at solving problems that aren't real problems. So bricks had been musing about going off the dollar and maybe using the Chinese currency or some other currency, but they're not going to do this. And so Trump threatening tariffs to people for something they won't do is his kind of problem solving and none of us should be surprised by it. He is using tariffs as a way to try to get people to do what he want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I look forward to the riots in the streets when all our Chinese products have that big of tariff on them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I also just think this is like one of these great threats for him because it's never gonna happen, so he doesn't have to worry about it, so he'll threaten it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this will be lost in the dustbin of other truths that never happened.
Speaker 1: Rick Wilson is the founder of the Lincoln Project in the host of the Enemy's List, Welcome Back, Too Fast Politics, Rick Wilson.
Speaker 4: Hey, Mally Johns Fast. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving?
Speaker 2: Yes the best. I saw you deep fried a turkey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did deep fry a turkey as a man. Does you at RFK? Listen, I'm deep fried. I've deep fried about I don't know twenty five turkeys in my life. I'm writing of other things too, But RFK does not. He does not represent the whole frying turkey brand everybody. I mean, I'm just I'm just telling you. RFK is the definitional turkey frying guy.
Speaker 1: So here's a question besides turkey, which is the subject I want to delve deeper into because it's such a disgusting animal that I don't like to eat and it's quite gross. But more important, there really is a possibility to burn oneself quite badly.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, many people do and you know, and I really thought about doing this. I actually had written the tweet and everything, and the tweet was only libtard shill cut. Don't fry their turkeys in the garage. It's only those liberal frogs who cook them outside.
Speaker 1: So we are it is Thanksgiving weekend, which means Donald Trump must make more announcements, because what is a weekend for if not making more appointment announcements.
Speaker 4: To shock and horrify the American people.
Speaker 1: This is one that he had been playing back and forth with. We knew it was possible. We thought perhaps he would Cash Betel go.
Speaker 4: Okay, you know, here's the thing. The entire purpose of all things Trump is to verify and to dismay the American people. We get it, we do. We get it. We get it. Cash Battel is a guy who is deeply unqualified, of course that goes without saying, to be the FBI director. But he's also a guy who's promised many many times now that he will be the artificer of Trump's revenge strategies against everyone who has ever offended him, and so on and so on.
Speaker 2: And so on, so a lot of people, by the way, you and.
Speaker 4: I are on the list. I'm afraid to say, but you know what, I think we are right now at a moment where where Donald Trump has had a loss with Matt Gates being taken out of contention for Attorney General, and he wants and has been sold this vision by Bannon and others that the purpose of the FBI and the Department of Justice is to punish Trump's enemies. You know, he's he's if cash Betel is confirmed, and I think he probably will be because don't expect miracles from the Senate. Kids, just don't, just do not.
Speaker 1: I want to pause for a second because this is something near and dear to my heart, and I want to talk about why we should have hope and why we should not be cynical. And this is going to be very annoying to you and probably listeners. But the reason why I want I want to have this conversation is because this is the more cynical we are, the more things are baked in, right, the less cynical we are, the less things are baked in. So, for example, they can lose three to four senators, Trump does not necessarily give a shit about whether or not these people get through. Right, He puts them up. But like Matt Gates isn't through now it's Pambondy. That was like a two second news cycle. So I think that Republican senators have more power than.
Speaker 2: They think here.
Speaker 1: And we know with Matt Gates, the reporting at the NBC reporting was that a senator told them you have twenty to thirty senator Republican senators voting against this nomination. I'm just saying, like, I don't think we should ever think of any of this as as baked in. We should always try to open the door to people doing the right thing, even though history has shown us that they haven't. This is a time though, that is much scarier than the last trumpad.
Speaker 4: I think. I think, look, the great news, the good news, I won't say greatness. The good news is that Donald Trump's people are by and large fucking morons. Right actually, in the traditional political sense of they are actually stupid people. Many of them are really dumb.
Speaker 1: I was actually reading about some of the people and thinking, God, these people sound really really dumb there.
Speaker 4: Many of them are. Many of them could be easily overcome by inanimate objects right there. They are not smart guys. Now are they going to be in positions of tremendous power. Yes, they are. That should that concern all of us, absolutely, it should. However, I believe right now that you've got got a very narrow window for Donald Trump to to execute the on the worst of the crazy that he wants to execute on that window. That window is again, it is a narrow window, not a wide window. And I think it's going to be hard for him to pull off some of the bullshit he wants to pull off with these people as the Senate ends up moving from just talking about these things to having to actually take votes on the nominations of these people, as the Senate moves on to actually having to live up to actually having their names on saying oh, yeah, I was one of the guys who voted for cash Patel, right, I was one of the people who voted to put cash fricking Patel into the head of the FBI. I spoke to three separate FBI officials FORBI officials over the weekend, and none of the ones that you people think, by the way.
Speaker 2: Interestingly enough, not ones on cable news, not ones on.
Speaker 4: Cable news, all of whom said to me, Yes, the FBI is much more conservative than a lot of people think, but this is crazy, and this guy is this guy is it will be? As it was pointed out to me, he said, do you Somebody said to me, do you want Devin Noon as this guy? He wrote, demo, Yeah, in charge of all counter intelligence, domestic counter intelligence in this country? Is that the guy you want in that job? And the answer is obviously not only no, but fuck no. But you know, you've got a very You've got a very narrow, narrow window. While the compliance in the Senate is still high because right now the Senate guys they're not trying to negotiate for They're not trying to negotiate for what they're going to do about you know this or that budget item. They're all sort of like, ah, fuck, we got to just deal with Trump. We'll get the inauguration done, we'll get the we'll get the non controversial appointments done and move on from there. That is not going to be easy. The longer it goes, the harder it's going to get. And look, I think this weekend putting Charles Kushner up there as our ambassador to France was an insult both to the French.
Speaker 1: Can you push back can I push back here for sure, And I hate to be the person to say this, but ambassadors are fucking that's a pay for play gig, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: But here's the thing. We're also in the middle of a European conflict right now. It's going to require serious people, and France is one of the most important players in the in the conflict between Russia and Ukraine. And so I'm concerned that Trump did that very deliberately to fuck to mess with the entire.
Speaker 1: I mean, except Trump put Newt Gingrich's wife as ambassador at to Holy See, his third wife, right, a Catholic.
Speaker 4: I mean, like, yeah, here's the thing we're not really worried about. We're not really worried about the Vatican right now in terms of a war fighting posture, right.
Speaker 1: But I'm just saying, like, ambassadorships are known to be nonpartisan grift.
Speaker 2: You know, you pay, you get an ambassadorships.
Speaker 4: But here's the thing. I mean, the Court of Saint James is the a position ambassadorship. That's that's the top of the pile. There's none better than that. You don't get a better you don't get a better diplomatic opportunity than that. Francis the second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's putting he's putting Johnson in the or at least last time you put Johnson in the you know, big Republican donor.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't.
Speaker 1: I think putting unqualified people in ambassadorships is not is nonpartisan.
Speaker 4: I think it's insulting though to our allies. And I think it I think it shows you once again this is an unseerious person and in a serious time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but except we know he's an un serious person. We know he's a fucking moron. But what's important is like Cash Battel should be an eleven.
Speaker 2: Charles Kushner should be a two.
Speaker 4: I don't. I don't dispute. Well, I think like a four. But okay, I don't dispute that Cash Battel is is legitimately problematic and dangerous. Right, Well, let's not let's not pretend anything otherwise. He's a bad guy, and he's a guy who who is going to publicly try to be the face of Trump's revenge play.
Speaker 2: And that is you know what, No, I gotta tell you really bad.
Speaker 4: That's pretty bad. And and as Charlie Sykes wrote, you know the purpose of Cash battels to terrify people. That's why he's there. And you know, Tim Snyder has that phrase sato populism, where like the purpose of this kind of populist decision, you know, we're going to put a guy who's gonna tear it up because it's all corrupt, is to scare the fuck out of people. It's a dangerous position for the country, but it's also kind of inevitable. You know. We have to we have to we have to sort of adjust our reality to the inevitability of the of the shit.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: I also think that when we talk about Cash Battel, he's really scary. We have had really scary FBI director Herbert Hoover put my grandfather in jail.
Speaker 4: Herbert Herbert Hoover was a president, right, Jed Houverer, Yeah, yeah, Jed Gruber. I mean, and we have had nothing comparable to Hoover in our lifetimes.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: No, No, thankfully, you know, thankfully. But I do think it's important that we not we don't take our eye off the ball. This is potentially an extraordinarily bad set of outcomes.
Speaker 1: No, I agree, which is why I think it's so important that people like Mike Ground who was on ABC today talking about how how good Christopher Ray is. There's no reason Ray has three more years on his term, right, this.
Speaker 4: Is there's no way Trump let's Ray stay in that office. They will die on that hill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But I also think, like there's RFK, there's Ray Talsy, and then there's Pete Hegseth.
Speaker 4: Well, look, I think I think Pete Hegseth is now edging toward being disqualified in this job. But even in the minds of some of Trump's allies, they're not like this email from his own mother about his character and the way he treats women. I am not easily. You and I are both, you know, were fairly jaundice about this kind of thing. That was pretty horrifying. I think we have to just admit it. That was pretty pretty damn horrifying. That was not if you're a person with any judgment about character, and you think character matters at all, you can't have this guy as the secretary of Defense. You just can't.
Speaker 1: Right, Adultery is against the rules in the army.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, yes it is. It is very much against the rules. And by the way, not simply because there's some moral thing there. It's because it compromises you in your in your national security position. It makes you vulnerable to blackmail, it makes you vulnerable to manipulation, it makes your decisions questioned by your own people as well. But I do think it's important that we look at all of these sort of moments we're in right now and ask the question, like, you know, is there a solution to the Cash Betel problem? Is this a guy you can you could find a way to ensure that he doesn't get the nomination. I think there are still there's still a possibility he doesn't get it. But right now Trump is he's going to start acting more and more childish and judgmental and angry as things are denied.
Speaker 1: To him, except that he also doesn't really care if these people get through. So you know, certainly not RFK Junior.
Speaker 4: Right, here's the thing, Okay, I generally agree with that, that he doesn't really care much about these people. I generally agree with that, but I'm always curious, and lately particularly curious. I'm always curious. Like Trump wants certain things, he wants certain outcomes. One of those outcomes is revenge on his enemies, right, and a guy like Cash mattel is offering him that, mister President, I will, I will. I will crush your enemies before you. I will humiliate them, I will hurt them. I will, I will bankrupt them. I will. I will use the power of the state to go after people that don't like you and that have and that have hurt you, sir, so so badly. But I look, I find this. I find the entire idea that Trump is going to let this go and is not going to respond to opposition in the Senate. Now, there will be a point where he says that he's going to start, you know, acting, asking his people to revenge him from these these people in the Senate who aren't giving him what he wants. I mean, I'm you know that Mike Davis guy. The other day, right after Patel was named, Mike Davis came out and said something to the effect of of, yeah, I dare you not to vote for him, We'll make your lives a living hell.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: But they didn't even have to not vote for Matt Gates. I mean, that's just you know, like Ma Gates, I mean, that's the other thing. Just for a minute to pause and think about It's December first, right. So Trump doesn't even get into office until January twenty first, there's a lot of time, just like we saw with Matt Gates, Like Matt Gates pulled himself out of this thing because he knew there was a lot more coming, right, Sure, So the question is, like, you know, does that happen to Pete Hegsaths Does that happen to I mean, I think I.
Speaker 4: Would put Pete heggsth higher on the list of potential you blowout? Can people? They just go, yeah, I can't I President, I love you, I can't do it. I can't deal with this guy right right right, because he really is egregious. I mean he really is is a he combines being unqualified with also being horrifying.
Speaker 1: One other thing I think about Pete Hegseth and I think when I think about these candidates is like a lot of them want to make money and don't necessarily want to surmman service soon. Oh sure, so to fight and fight and fight to get a job you don't necessarily want.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that look that I think that's a legitimate observation about Like there are a lot of reasons why why you would not go to the mattresses for Pete Hegseth, and Pete Hegseth probably has a good number of reasons now that he's starting to consider what's going to happen, He's probably got a good number of reasons why he doesn't want to go to the mattresses because right now today he can go back to Fox, right, you know, he could go back to Fox. He could be whatever again at Fox. That's all find and good. But I don't know. I don't know if you got it with Pete Hegseth, if you get like a second chance at political life after this, given the stuff we're hearing about it, I think the stuff we're hearing about Hexth is a different level than a lot of these other guys. It's it's a more it's an uglier, nastier kind of story about this guy's character.
Speaker 1: We'll see what happens. But I do want to talk about what you what you think is sort of next coming.
Speaker 4: Fire, death, screaming, running in the darkness, you know, the.
Speaker 2: Usual No is bright and Florida.
Speaker 4: No. Look, I think I think we are in a very I think we're in a very dangerous moment because there is that that sort of Bannen Nunez weirdo wing of the party that really wants even if Trump isn't that interested in all these in punishing all these people, I think there's a there's a a wing of the of the Trump apparatus that is very interested in punishing people, and very interested in hurting people, and very interested in causing You know that, as as Tim Sider says, sato populism to become a big part of the of the story, I think I can't ignore that there are people like that around him. There are a lot of people like that around him who really really really really really hate people like us. And I'm not just saying it's just about us, but it ain't not just about us either.
Speaker 2: Rick Wilson my moment of zen and calm, the.
Speaker 4: Service as always, all right, I'll talk to you sin, all right, all right, talk to you Sin. Bye bye.
Speaker 1: Carolyn Kitchener is a national reporter covering abortion at the Washington Post.
Speaker 5: Welcome back, Caroline, Thank you so much, Molly, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: You do this beat, which is abortion, we productive hows more broadly by abortion is likely going to be the first opening salvo in disassembling our rights.
Speaker 2: How long have you been on this beat, and what does it feel like right now.
Speaker 5: I've been writing about this issue for almost six years. It wasn't my full time job at the beginning. It's been my full time thing for three of those years. I'm still surprised, like I'm still surprised at things that happen on the speed. It's still so fast evolving. I mean, we are now more than two years, about two and a half years out from the fall of Ruby Wade, and the dynamics keep changing. And I think it is hard to predict what a Trump administration could bring for this issue.
Speaker 2: But it's not going to be good. I'm going to put my hand on a rock right now and say it's not going to be good.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about the election for a minute, because a lot of places voters did this thing where they voted to enshrine abortion rights in their constitution, but then voted for Trump or Republicans or seem to not quite make the leap to realize that the people they were voting for now have to enact a lot of these ballot initiatives, and as we've seen from Florida, a lot of times Republicans just don't do what the people vote for.
Speaker 5: I spent a lot of time ahead of the election talk to people who really care about abortion rights, who are per choice, but who are also more Republican leaning or independent. I really wanted to figure out, like how when people were faced, you know, not just with the direct question of do you want to enshrine abortion rights in the constitution, but who do you want for president? I wanted to know how much their views on abortion would factor into that decision. And before the election, I mean, I just I really struggled to find people that were wrestling with that. Like almost everybody that I found to talk to was like, oh, yeah, I support abortion rights, I care a lot about this issue, but I'm voting for Trump.
Speaker 1: Wow, And were you like, were you guys like he did overturn revyweight or they just didn't put it together.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean I would always ask that question, and it was interesting. I mean, I think you had some people for whom abortion is just you know, fairly far down on the list, like of the issues that they care about, they care about, you know, the economy, immigration, more. But then here are other women that I spoke to, and this was like these interviews were mostly with women They said, I just don't think he's going to do anything else on this because.
Speaker 2: We've lost so many rights. What's another one.
Speaker 5: He wants it to go back to the States. That was a line that really resonated with people. They really believe that, you know, he wants me to go back to the States, and they just weren't concerned. Which was interesting because what you saw as you got further and further into the campaign was Trump and Vance doing everything that they could to move away from this issue and to convince people of exactly this that they were not going to do more that they would veto a national abortion ban, all of those things. And what I found from my reporting is that those messages really resonated with the group of people that Harris and Trump were fighting for, these Republican leaning independent women.
Speaker 1: So explain, yeah, I mean, I need.
Speaker 2: More on this.
Speaker 5: What you heard a lot in the campaign when it came to abortion policies was national abortion ban. You heard a lot about that concept, and I do think it's very, very unlikely that a national abortion ban would pass, just because of the reality of what Congress looks like. But what is also true is that there's a lot of things that the Trump administration could do without Congress com stack. Yeah, the constack through the agencies, Like, there are a lot of things that they could do, but all of those things that they could do are like they're much more nuanced. They are sort of hard to explain. They're a little bit more in the weeds. People didn't know about those things. You know, Harris didn't really make those things part of the conversation. I would say, she really just kept talking about the National Abortion Band. So the women that I spoke to were kind of sharp enough to realize that, like that was very unlikely. And you know, which is something that I agree with. It wasn't on their radar that there were other things that a Trump administration could do on this issue.
Speaker 1: Let's talk for a minute about what is going on right now. There are all of these balid initiatives. Do you think that they will get enacted?
Speaker 5: I do. I mean the ones that pass Every time I talk about this. It's the results of the ballot initiatives were complicated because while the abortion rights side, you know, succeeded in seven of the ten states where abortion was on the ballot, they failed in Florida. And that's not because it wasn't popular in Florida. It's because in Florida you needed sixty percent, which is really hard for anything. But Florida was just far and away the most important state for this, just because of like how big this state is and it's the third most populous state. Just a ton of abortions, especially before the six week ban took effect, just a ton of abortions happened there. It was for a long time this like oasis of abortion access in the South, which now we have, you know, strict bands blanketing the whole region. So it was really, really really important for abortion rights advocates, Like that state was sort of the like the crown jewel of the ballot initiatives, and it didn't pass there. So I think it is really hard to know where to go from here. I mean, for abortion rights advocates, these ballot measures, they're very excited about the prospect of the battle measures, but they don't solve the issue in every state because in different states it's harder to get it on or even impossible to get it on. I mean Texas, Like it's just that it would never happen in Texas, and it's not this sort of cure al that abortion rights advocates are really hoping for, right, Like.
Speaker 2: What does the abortion landscape look like now?
Speaker 1: If you are a woman who gets pregnant in one of these states, say South Carolina, where can you go? Where are the few sort of free states still?
Speaker 5: Well? I think what the reality for women in these states with strict bands is that this landscape looks like the internet more than traveling to well, I don't know that I can say more than traveling to other states, but what so many people are doing now is going online and ordering pills. And that is a thing that the Trump administration could get in the way of. It's unclear whether they're going to make a move to do that, but they could. But in terms of like where there is access, I mean, for somebody in Florida, the nearest clinic is going to be North Carolina, which is you know, if you're in Miami. I don't know off the top of my head, but that is a really, really, really long drive. When I visited, I went to a Florida clinic right after the band took a fact in the spring, and they weren't talking about driving. They were talking about flying, like they just it's not a realistic drive for people to make and but for a lot of the women that I was speaking to, it just you know, many of them had never been on a plane. Like the idea that they would just you know, get on a plane and somehow leave their families and get childcare and all the things that you have to do to go on a trip was just you know, even the money aside, it just wasn't realistic.
Speaker 1: These women will be okay with the abortion pills until they're not.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean the anti abortion side has identified pills as the target, right. You know, they know that this is happening. They know that many pills are getting to people in vand states through websites. You Know what I heard consistently for you know, a year plus before the election was then this is from the anti abortion side, we're not going to see anything until the election. They didn't want to really crack down before the election because they knew that this issue was very popular. But now, you know, I just had a piece out last week that was about you know what all of the anti abortion groups are planning, particularly like the statewide once there's there's a very active group in Texas called Texas Right to Life that's the biggest anti abortion group there. They have really a reputation for you know, trying like particularly aggressive and creative ways to like crack down on things and really you know, set the bar for the rest of the country, you know, when it comes to anti abortion crackdown measures, and they are ready are they are planning you know, several new lawsuits that we're going to see early in the new year. They are trying to find plaintiffs. They're looking specifically for like male partners of women who had abortions that are upset. So I do think you're going to see a wave of like attempts to crack down on pills getting into band states.
Speaker 1: Your body, my choice, right, I mean, ultimately that's what we're talking about, right.
Speaker 5: I think that they recognize that these men are their best option for pursuing some of these lawsuits, and they are recruiting them. They are going to like anti abortion crisis pregnancy centers, and they are looking for, you know, people that are close to a woman who had an abortion and who are angry about it.
Speaker 1: Ask about the women who can't get pre natal care, Like what's happening to women not getting dncs?
Speaker 2: Because I know you wrote about that, and that is just horrifying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that everybody should be watching the maternal mortality committees. So every state has a committee mostly medical experts. Usually it's about twenty and they get together and they review cases of maternal deaths and they are looking to really dig in and see what went wrong and was this preventable? And these committees they, for various reasons, they operate on about a two year lag And so we are just now at the point when these committees are starting to review cases that may have been affected by the fall of Row and all of these new bands. And so what I am watching for now is, you know, obviously there have been some incredible reporting from Pro Publica on you know, individual cases of women who have died. The question though, that I think everyone is wondering, is like, how much is that happening? How often is that happening? What is the big picture there? And these maternal mortality committees they are where we will get that big picture. That is something to watch for, I think in the coming months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're seeing more and more of that. So talk to us for a minute about how we're seeing Republicans kind of mess with that, right isn't there some way in which Republicans are trying to make it so they're not reviewing the data as quickly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I just had a story yesterday about in Texas, which is the biggest state with a strict abortion man. It was the first state to enact as strict abortion man. So it's really important for getting a big picture of what's happening, like just state by state.
Speaker 2: Because their ban also started a year before.
Speaker 5: Exactly nine months before, and so it just gives us like more perspective than really any other state. And so that's the one that I've been watching most closely. And the committee was told recently that this is what I recorded yesterday. They were told recent that they would be skipping over the years twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three, which you know, the first two years that the abortion van was in effect. You know, they said that they were doing this to be more contemporaneous, is what they said. Basically, they see their charge, as you know, examining cases in a timely manner so that it can inform the recommendations that they give to policymakers. And they were saying, you know, we just feel we're on too much of a delay, so it doesn't allow us to provide timely recommendations, and that is why we are changing this. I spoke with several members of the committee who you know, all spoke anonymously that we're really concerned about this because, you know, they they see as we all do, that those years are really important to examine because they're the first two full years that this like new policy, this huge new policy that affects maternal health is taking effect. And by skipping them, like you're you know, they they were very concerned that they were going to miss deaths and the deaths you know that resulted from abortion bands, and that was very concerning to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, It's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: So what are you watching now?
Speaker 5: I will definitely be watching these maternal mortality committees, but I also think that it's important to watch a couple of key agencies and then the Trump administration, particularly the Department of Justice, the Department of Health and Human Services HHS was actually the one, it really is the agency that the anti abortion groups were most you know, have been most focused on. Was Trump has done all of these gymnastics to back away from abortion. They have been later focused on who he appoints to lead HHS and what's so they've been really you know, fighting hard. They were fighting hard to get him to pick somebody who was anti abortion and also have anti abortion under secretaries as well. That's not how that played out. RFK is you know, obviously a very complicated figure. But you know, he has expressed support for abortion rights, like he is pro choice, and so that is not the person, right, well, theorectly right.
Speaker 2: He's also pro raw milk, but yes, continue.
Speaker 5: But when it comes to this issue, he has you know, publicly expressed that he is very in supportive abortion rights. So that obviously wasn't the person that they wanted. And then to add on to that, we had, you know, Roger Severino, who wrote the HHS and abortion related chapter of Project twenty twenty five. A lot of there was a big campaign, and I think a lot of people expected that he would be appointed as an under secretary in HHS, and it just came out that he is not being selected for that. So that was another blow to the anti abortion movement. So I sort of watching that with interest play out because I do think that that is you know, potentially the Trump administratortion saying, like, we recognize that people are very upset about this issue, not going to do anything about it right now at least, but I think it's just important. I think it's an important thing to keep an eye on. Is who he has leading those agencies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll say, and I think that we are in this bizarre, bizarre moment in American history.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, thank you. I hope you will come back.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 4: No moment full so, Molly, my moment of fuckery here is that Cash Bttel is already saying that as the director of the FBI, of the nation's pre eminent law enforcement organization, that he is going to use the power of the FBI to punish people that he doesn't like and that Donald Trump doesn't like, and that have that we're quote unquote very mean to Donald Trump. And so the odd thing about our country right now, in my mind, is that this is being taken as a sort of normal activity. This is being seen as kind of like, this is what they get to do because Trump won the election. I find that more than a little bit disturbing and were a little bit troubling, and I find it fascinating that a lot of our media friends are pretty much normalizing this one too. There's a sense of like, oh, well, you know that's Trump. Trump won. I guess, so here we are. I think Patel is a is a separate level of shit that's worse than, worse than in consequence than a lot of these other possible appointments that Trump's talking about.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to for my moment of fuck Graham, going to disagree with you.
Speaker 4: Wow, Okay, see how it is.
Speaker 1: I think that for sure, Trump is an autocrat, ran as an autocrat, probably would say he was an autocrat and a candidate, we couldn't normalize him for sure because he was running on a completely non democratic platform. But now that he is president, we have to cover him, and that doesn't mean.
Speaker 4: Normal I'm what he's saying, we don't cover him.
Speaker 1: Right, But I'm just saying, like the idea, I feel like the millions of people voted for him, and that is in itself a kind of normalization, like it or not. And so I do think like that is why when we cover him, we have to be so focused on norms and institutions and the real damage as opposed to the astatic damage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, I get that, I get that, But I do think you can't ignore the potential presence of a administration that is overtly dedicated to punishing its enemies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, I think.
Speaker 4: You got You've got to keep that, You've got to keep that sort of top of mind about what the what the consequences are of the consequences of ignoring that, I think are are high order bad as I like to say I have.
Speaker 2: I feel like we're not going to be able to ignore it.
Speaker 1: Rick, personally and professionally, we are now, No, we are not.
Speaker 2: Rick Wilson, Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 1: That's it for this episode of Fast Politics. Tune in every Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday to the best minds and politics make sense of all this chaos. If you enjoy this podcast, please send it to a friend and keep the conversation going.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening.