Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Kristin Davis, and I want to know, are you a Charlotte? You guys us of Mandvi's here. I should have said that right away. It's very exciting. We're totally there's no action, no action.
Speaker 2: It's weird, right, it is weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just start, you're just rolling and no one says anything. I'm here, he's here, and you guys, he's here because he's on my motherboard myself, which probably you all know. And we're going to discuss it. But also we have some other things that we have to catch up because number one, he went to Cynthia's birthday party, which I miss, which I'm really sad about. So we were catching up about that, but then I was hearing about the fact that number one, you're on Broadway, which is insane. And tell me again about it, because it's incredible. Your cast is incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh, well, we're doing Fallen Angels and it's on Broadway. We just opened Amazing and it's Kelly O'Hara, Rose Bern. They're hilarious together, Tracy Chimo, Christo Fitzgerald, Mark Consuela, Amazing. It's such a brilliant, wonderful cast. That I get to work with, and uh, and it's no coward and so it's all the British farce, so super fun and it's all like hell, and I never get to do that. You know. I grew up in England and so I know that. Yeah, I grew up in England, So I grew up watching all of those British sitcoms and those sort of like Hello Vica and all that kind of thing, and uh, but I never get to yeah, exactly, at least like that was the you know, the original downto Abe, right, you know, and so I never get to play those parts like like that upper class British satirized that war. So it's really fun.
Speaker 1: And we were also saying that you should really be on Gilded Age.
Speaker 2: I should be if they listen to this podcast, I want to know, right, hopefully someone will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I also would die to be on Gilded Age, but I don't think I'm going to get to be because Cynthia is there and once one of us.
Speaker 2: Is there, right, Yeah, it's weird if you both that and then if you have scenes together, that's really weird.
Speaker 1: It's totally strange. But sometimes in my mind because of the wigs in the costume maybe maybebeyeh, but then probably no. So I just like watch it with such envy, you know, such envy, and like there was a time that her character had this King Kevlar Charles dog, which I used to have in the show. Like this is killing me in so many ways because also Cynthia is not really a dog person, right, and she had to have one whole episode was about if her dog ran across the street and she had to take to the fainting cari, which is like, this is so surreal and bizarre.
Speaker 2: But whatever.
Speaker 1: I think the dog survived, but we haven't seen it lately, which is interesting.
Speaker 2: That's interesting what you say, which is that like if you're on a hit show with a group of actors like like you guys were, then you can never be on another show with any of them ever again.
Speaker 1: Well see that's why we keep coming back. Yeah, because we want to work together, but we can't do it in any other way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, exactly exactly. But what about you and the Daily Show people?
Speaker 2: Oh we yeah, we don't. We don't like each other anyway, so it doesn't really we don't want to work together, and it's like the last thing I want to do with those guys. No, No, I mean we would, I would, you know, it's not I think I think that has been Uh it might be weird. I don't know. I'm trying to think like if I, well, they also they come like John Oliver and and and Sam. I just did Sam's podcast actually, and that was great because we had like a reunion thing, you know. Yeah, but I don't know if like if I was to do a show, maybe it might be fine. I don't know, like something like Jason or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'd be so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The thing that I love about your career is that for me, that's how I.
Speaker 2: Came to know you because tell me because I.
Speaker 1: Couldn't tell you because also you're on so many things now because we didn't talk about the show yet or the next thing you're about to tell me that I said to wait. But like I knew you originally as a personality or whatever you would call it, all right, but now I feel like you've really fully transitioned into like a fantastic acting career.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, what's weird about my career in a way is that I always started as an actor. Like, I never was a comedian or stand up in that way. I never So me getting on the Daily Show was a bit of an anomaly in my career because I was doing like I went to school, drama school and got it and was doing theater Broadway, and I was doing all you know every actor in New York does, Like I was doing like Law and Order, and I did Sex in the City and you know, all those little things. And so I was always just like a working sort of jobbing actor, right, and then I got this just an audition for the day.
Speaker 1: Just a regular audition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just call and say, come down, an audition for the Daily Show. And it was originally a one off.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: And so I went in and did this and I just literally just walked an audition with John Stewart and got the job that day to be on the show that night. Right, And anyway, so I do the show. Well, I watched the show, and you know, I was a fan. I was like, oh, this is great. I didn't know what I was doing. I just came down. I was like, I was a little snooty about it. I've told this story before, Like I was a little like because John said to me when I walked in for the audition, He said, have you ever performed in front of a live audience before? Because you know, the show tapes in front of a live audience. And I was like, I've been on Broadway and he was like, oh, okay, So anyway, so I do the thing. It's on that night and I was the first non Caucasian correspondent on the Daily Show. They so there was a whole It was twenty six, got it, And there was a whole article in the La Times the next day about how there was this brown guy on the Daily Show and it was like and they had me like reporting from the Middle East, and you know, sadly that that story could apply today, you know, and so but anyway, but the point is that, like I did it, it was a one off, and then John just liked me, and so he said, do you want to come back? And so my we sort of auditioned trial process was that he just kept calling me back and doing one offs for about three or four months. And I was shooting a TV show in La at the time called Jericho with Skeet Ulrich and a whole bunch of wonderful actors on that, and and so I was going back and forth and and it was like I was living the dream at the time because I was like, I got to I'm doing this show. And then they called me in for the Daily Show every now, every couple of weeks wherever. They're just coming to do us a bit on the show. And then after about three or four months of that, John said, we want to offer you a contract amazing to be a regular correspondent.
Speaker 1: Did it hurt your acting career Daily Show?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it helps amazing.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: You know how this works if you are in a show, on a show that is part of the zeitgeist. Yeah. And what I've realized about this business is that, sadly, it doesn't matter how many people watch your show. It matters who watches your show. And The Daily Show did not have a huge audience, but in terms of like yeah, like it wasn't like getting like American Idol.
Speaker 1: Numbers, but it had a huge impact.
Speaker 2: But it was being watched by all the people in Hollywood and New York, all the urban center. Yeah. Yeah, and so it actually helped me amazing.
Speaker 1: That's great. Yeah, you know, so let's talk about the Miniature Wife because I just saw a big I love it. Elizabeth Banks, Yeah, she's in great. Okay, you confused For a second, I was like, is this the race?
Speaker 2: No, No, that's I gave you a blank stare, which made you go, am I.
Speaker 1: Right, because I saw a big billboard. I'm a little behind it, so hard to keep up right with the things. But I was very excited because on my Instagram I saw that it is I think the most watched show of like last week maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was number one on Peacock. Wow.
Speaker 1: And it's on Peacock, which is amazing. Okay, great, and what is it?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: Super confused?
Speaker 2: So it's literally about a guy who miniaturizes his wife. It's not a metaphor. It's about Matthew McFadden. People know the amazing accession and incredible lots of other things. Incredible mister Darcy, you know and all that. And so he plays a scientist who has come up with a formula or a way to miniaturize crops so that they can miniaturize them to combat climate change. And so you can grow a whole field of corn on a tabletop. Wow, right, amazing.
Speaker 1: All but can you eat the corn?
Speaker 2: The point is what he hasn't quite figured out yet yet is how to reanimate the corn so it's back to normal size. Okay. Okay, so he hasn't figured out the B side of the equation, okay. And anyway, he and his wife, Elizabeth Banks have a very very dysfunctional, uh an unfulfilling marriage, which is they're very volatile together.
Speaker 1: Let's say, Okay, anyway, her helps. Does it help that she gets miniaturized? Well, it helps narratively, okay, gives this story believer, So.
Speaker 2: It doesn't help their marriage at all. So she accidentally gets they get into a big argument. She doesn't know what he's doing because he's being very secretive about it, and.
Speaker 1: She get on purpose.
Speaker 2: No, she it's accidentally on purpose kind of thing. And so that's a big sort of like question like does is it an accident? You know, I mean fascinating Its interesting in the it's not completely clear, like maybe both Maybe it's a bit of an accident and sort of kind of almost accidentally on purpose.
Speaker 1: So I feel like Matthew mcfadd is very good at things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so it's like he he's like anyway, she basically not to give it all away because I want people to watch it. But she gets miniaturized and now she's living in the dollhouse. He's trying to take care of her. He hasn't told her what on earth that, but he miniaturizes everything so it looks like she's living in their house. So she feels she has her laptop and she has her like you know, it's crazy. And Elizabeth spent the whole time like working with giant, like you know her, she's kisses and.
Speaker 1: It was by herself, well by herself.
Speaker 2: And then Matthew was is giant, so it's like it's like he's a huge. And so he's talking on the green when they shot it, he was talking. She's not there obviously because she's miniaturized. So they were in separate rooms, I guess, you know, because he's talking to a cardboard cutout against the green screen.
Speaker 1: Are you your full size?
Speaker 2: I'm my full size? And actually, weirdly when we got there, the rest of the cat there was one day we got there because Matthew had spent the first like month just just working by himself on a green screen, and then we got there and it was so funny because he was he was so funny because he was like, oh my god, this is so great. I get to work with actual actors and this feels like a real show. Now, he was like, I really was just sitting in a room in a green screen for like a month, just talking to a cardboard cutout of Elizabeth Banks and so, and then she was doing her own version of that. Oh my god and so. But it's really it's a very clever, fun story that goes where you don't expect it to go. Okay, it does. It does have like a lot of twists and turns.
Speaker 1: Well, now I'm very excited to see it's kind of fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really I when you know, when you're making something and you're like, oh, this is going to be this is fun, Like this is just like I would watch this show. Cool.
Speaker 1: So let's use that as a segue to sex and the See. So I did not realized that you did this before The Daily Show because in my mind, time does not really exist. Yeah, right, you're what I'm saying, like like they everything is right condensed whatever. Yeah, So you're an actor. You're in New York. Yeah, you're doing Broadway and auditioning and Jenal Order and whatnot, and you come in you audition for us.
Speaker 2: I think it was an audition. It must have been. Yeah. I wasn't getting offers back, okay, okay, so I was probably it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I came in an audition, like what was yours?
Speaker 2: I was like, Oh, it's Sex and the City. I mean, I was aware of the show. I didn't watch it all the time, but I watched it, and uh, you know this was what it was. It It was like, I think it's season four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's like two thousand and.
Speaker 2: One, two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow for nine to eleven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before nine to eleven. And so you guys in.
Speaker 1: July fifteenth, two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, So you guys were giant at that point.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I mean I mean, like I'll I'll tell you what I mean. Like like it was. It was a giant show. It was a big show. And I come in, I auditioned for it. We shoot it. It's great. We do it at this place called Texa. The real doesn't exist anymore, you know.
Speaker 1: We we we had the writers on yesterday and we all had a moment of silence for Texter. So you were really there.
Speaker 2: Yes, you had the writers on.
Speaker 1: We had Julian Juli, Yeah.
Speaker 2: And yeah. So the weird thing is that like when I did it my take, I hadn't never been to textav That was the first time. There was the beginning of the thing. Now you just go to the Apple Store to the Genius Bar. Right back then it was like if you had a Mac, this is where you went, right and and it's so funny, like I just watched the show the other night and it's like he's got the old Mac. You know, it's like that old like the price.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think that young young.
Speaker 2: People will be like, yeah, what is that?
Speaker 1: But he's so proud yea.
Speaker 2: And so anyways, so that was that was TEXTA. So I played it and we shot it at the real text Amazing and the real people that work there were there, so like the people in the background and the extras and stuff that you see are really the people that work a TEXTA. And so when I was shooting it, I played it because comedically him being very dismissive and sort of like a little bit snooty with her like did you back up your work? Like you know that kind of like it was funnier yeah than if I was like really nice and very helpful.
Speaker 1: Also, I thought it was very accurate.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing was that the people who work at Texts have got really mad at they were like watching us and they were like, why is he doing it like that? Like we're because they were like, this is we are very nice and we're very helpful and we helped people were not jerks and this guy's pretending like we're all acting like we're all jerks. And of course comedically for the show it was better. Yes, So they were not happy with the portrayal. Who knew of how they were portrayed. And then afterwards I heard that when you got so when you went to Texas, you went up in the elevator and you got off and there was a little lobby area and then you went in. So in the lobby area there was a after the show aired, there was a picture of my face and a huge circle and an X through my face and it said, we are not this guy. Fine, so when you got out the elevator to go to Texas, you just saw a picture of me from Sex and City and was like, we are not this guy.
Speaker 1: Crazy. Now, obviously much time has passed since this Texerve doesn't exist anymore. Which is kind of said, but like to me, I thought you were kind of nice compared to some experiences I've had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think yeah. I mean, look, who knows how realistic their impression of themselves because in the.
Speaker 1: Beginning we were all very very clueless. I mean I'm still very very clueless, right, but like you know, they are literally like, what do you mean you didn't back it up?
Speaker 2: Like you know, I mean, yeah, well, now it's funny because like now everything's on the cloud, and even the idea backing up is now like now, I mean, now you just put it on it. I mean yes, hopefully, but you put it on the cloud and it's all just kind of there. And and now if your computer crashes, you know, you can pretty much retrieve everything.
Speaker 1: Like so much anxiety about it. I know. I just recently had to go to the Apple store. I made an appointment. It's such a long story that I won't get into all the details. I took my daughter. It was relating to my daughter's first laptop that she got during COVID died. You know when it dies and like the screen goes halfway there's that thing, right, But I mean, I have the cloud and she's signed into it. But that's it. There's no backing up. She's fourteen years old, right, So we go down there. I have an appointment and everything. We go down there and there's this lady who's like the wrangler, like at the door, right, and I'm like, we have an appointment. No, no, She goes, well, what's the problem and I said, oh, look the you know, her laptop. She was like, no, no, you need to go home that this is on the cloud. You're you're going to deal with it at home. I'm like, no, no, no, I have an appointment. She was like, no, no, you're gonna You're going to go home. You're going to call Apple Sport.
Speaker 2: I'm like, but.
Speaker 1: What what I'm here? Like, what what do you mean?
Speaker 2: It was you apport? So she sent us away.
Speaker 1: It was devastating. My daughter was devastated, right because she is the thing.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So then it's our nearby mall, right or nearby Apple store. So then I was like, dem we're going to try again. We're going to try again. We're going to go back. So I go back and I'm like, please, it's a different person. I'm like, hopefully that lady won't be there and it ends up being this. Really, I make an appointment, right, I make an appointment. I'm like, please, we can't figure it out at home. They send us away. We tried everything. Please let us please let us say. They were like, what do you mean they sent you away?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, I know, and they were like you're Charlotte, and I'm like I am. Sometimes it's super.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I was like, thank god, people like Charlotte. Yeah yeah, yahk you thank you God. So they helped us and we got it done. But I mean, it's a totally different world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm getting anxiety just listening to you right now. I'm like, I need to go home and make sure everything is on the cloud, I know, because because if it's not, then you.
Speaker 1: I did also, and then we're going to move on. But I did also just recently see something on Instagram. I don't know if it was because we've been watching my motherboard myself, right, because you know your phone hears you. This lady said, I thought everything was backed up on the cloud, and so I thought I would clean out my photos. So I did, and it erased all the photos because your cloud is synced to your phone.
Speaker 2: Wait, she erased her photos on her.
Speaker 1: Phone and it went away from her cloud. This is what the lady on Instagram said.
Speaker 2: That's so crazy.
Speaker 1: Isn't that upsetting? Maybe someone professional could help us on the inst.
Speaker 2: I'm going to have a word with chat GPT about this and find out if this is I'm.
Speaker 1: Afraid of GPTC. You do that and let me know what it says, okay, because I'm scared and I don't want it on my phone. I'm scared.
Speaker 2: I know, I know I should that. It's not the politics of it is not good, but I do. I have used it and I do use it. Sometimes it helpful. It does give you information okay that you need sometimes to like not have to be on hold on some you know, yes, yes, you know what I found. It's really helpful. Is like sometimes when you're like, if you need like medical advice, like ins like you can just ask and then it'll say like these are the questions that you should ask you doctor. I like that. I like that. I like that because sometimes you don't need to do that. You can like that. I like that.
Speaker 1: I'm very neurotic. Medical might be helpful.
Speaker 2: And my doctor and I was like, I'm like, look what about this, And my doctor's like, you've been on that's funny.
Speaker 1: The thing that scares me is when people are like I told GPT my dreams in life and asked it what I should do in the next five years, and I was like, are you insane?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, yeah, coming to like we don't want you can't go to it as a therapist.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although people, I'm sure people.
Speaker 1: There definitely, I mean in depth, I'm scared. I'm so scared. I'm so scared, and I just don't want it to take our jobs. Obviously. Yes, very scary. Okay, so take us back again. I want. I love to hear people's feelings and thoughts. So you're on the show, you're at the real text. Ser if they're upset with you, they put this picture, which is super mortifying. You're with Sarah and John Corbett's there. You guys shoot? Did you shoot all night? Was it cuckoo crazy?
Speaker 2: Not all night? It was like it was I assumed to remember it was. It was actually I think it was in the daytime, like okay, and we shot it and it was great. I mean, they were really nice. I'd never met either of them before and they were you know, really sweet and really and what I was going to say is that it was it was so interesting because at that time I watched Sex and the City occasionally whatever, like, but it was it was obviously like a huge show among women, and women watched it all the time. I mean they were following you guys, you know, and yes, and the day after it aired, I walked down the street and females, women were literally like, oh my god, it's well it was great because it never happened to me my whole life. Women never turned their heads that way, you know when I walked down the street. So you know, I'm not you know, John Corn, so you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like, so no, but it was you know what I mean. So it was like it was like and I wasn't even I wasn't even like famous or anything, you know what I mean. So I was just like a guy who like did a couple of scenes on the Stagia. And it was so weird because that was my first moment of like, oh, this show is like because I'd done Law and Order and all that stuff, you know, and all the all the New York shows, but there was something about Sex and the City at that point yeah, yeah, yeah, and you must you know, but like for me, it was like I was just like this actor who was like on the show. And then literally the next day, I remember walking down the street on the Upper West Side and people and and and women were just like, people would stop, that's the guy.
Speaker 1: And it was just because it was it was great.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, look as an actor, I'm like, oh my god, I'm famous.
Speaker 1: Now that's the joy you know of having a success that you get to share it, you know, and bring people on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was it was great, and you know, and so like it was a little taste of that. And then and then when I got on The Daily Show, there was a whole other level.
Speaker 1: And also you were yourself on the Daily Show theoretically technically.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yeah, I mean it was like it was a character who you know, the guy on the Daily Show is much smarter than me and has a lot of really funny writers that you know, write for him. But but it was it was essentially a version of me. And what was interesting about that was that people and you know, maybe we all experienced this in some ways as actors, where people think you're the character. Yes, So like when I would go to things. People would want me to be the snarky guy on the Daily Show, you know, like they'd be like, well aren't you Oh. They would say things to me to provoke a snarky reaction because they were like wanting to engage. It was like a there were fans, but they kind of wanted to Well it's it's funny because I so different things, you know, Like like like one one night, I was coming home from a party and it was very late, it was like two in the morning or whatever, and uh, I went into this is not this is I'm not proud of this, but I went into like a deli and got like you know that sushi stuff that you get it's like in the deli.
Speaker 1: Like it's not that's questionable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably not a great idea. But it was late at night, I was I was starving, and I like got and I got and I'm standing in line at this like deli to get the sushi, like and the woman in front of me turns around and she's like, probably not a great idea to get that right now, you know, And I was so taken aback because I was like, I was like, you don't know my life like but then I realized, like, oh, she recognized me from the show. I didn't realize that because I was just like and she being she's trying to engage with me. So people didn't do that or like I went to a party of the Republican National Convention once and there was a woman there at the party and she was just like talking to me and then she's like say something snarky, like you know what I mean, like, and it was like, like we So there was a little bit of that where yeah, people fought I was that guy and I was going to have all these quips and things.
Speaker 1: And understandably because the way the Daily Show presented you guys, you had your names, you weren't obviously playing a character. Yet there was a.
Speaker 2: Heightened Yeah, there was a heightened yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did that dissipate.
Speaker 2: After the show?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, Okay, that's good. I mean that seems like some pressure to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, it was. It was, you know, like when I was on the show, it was very prevalent because it was because also like we were on the show, like that time when I was on with Jason and Sam and Wyatt and John Oliver and all those guys. Uh, we were. It was every night people watched it. It wasn't like watch it every night, right, It wasn't like now where people sort of just watch it on YouTube or whatever every time. Yeah, but it was it was you know, people eleven thirty every every day it was on.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I mean, as we do now, I know.
Speaker 2: And so what happened was that people really like it was it was like, oh, you're you're the guy, you know the Yeah, we're watching it in real time and we were. We were. So there was that feeling of like we were there in people's lives and talking about stuff that they wanted to talk about, you know. And I think for me, especially like being like I said, like the first non Caucasian correspondent, the first Muslim correspondent, the brown correspond I did not realize there was this huge sense of like from within my own community, like people going like, oh my god, like like nobody has been on TV talking about that important thing. But from the position of I always thought of that like as like I had this unique position on the show, which was like I was an insider and an outsider at the same time, so I could stand on the fence and be and talk about America as an American but also as an immigrant and as somebody who like like lived in both of those worlds. And it was really like, you know, especially when we talked about like the Middle East or like foreign stuff or whatever world politics, people would come up to me like and they'd be like, nobody is talking, like like, it's amazing that you have that you're on talking about, And it wasn't. It wasn't me, it was it was the position that I was representing people, you know, and so that was really satisfying. It was really satisfying to think that, like, oh, there was a person who looked like me talk about the things that so many people out there wanted us to talk about and to satirize and to criticize. You know. It was like two thousand and six I started on the other show, so we were in Iraq at that time. America was and the Bush administration. It was all of that stuff going on, so it was a lot of it was very tense, you know what I mean. It was that post nine to eleven decade, which which which was really fraught.
Speaker 1: I remember, yeah, I remember, I mean, it's it's I'm not going to go into now very much. But it's interesting because when we look at now that seemed kind of tame, I know, which is so crazy, But did it feel for you to be in that position? It's great that people would would say to you, like it's amazing that you're there, But did it also feel scary and like pressure if you were out in the world, if people would people disagree with you and want to engage in that way?
Speaker 2: I mean, noth I I don't think it's so funny how people loved the show even when they didn't agree with it. It was weird, like when we went. One of the most like eye opening things for me was when we went to the because we would go to the conventions and so we go to the Democratic National Convention and we were like the Beatles. It was like it was like, I mean, when we went to the DNC in two thousand and eight, the year that Obama was on the ticket, it was the nominee, it was you know, it was literally like we could not walk. We were it was the fan because that was our base, that was our those were our fans. DC Democrats, Wow, you know, idea and it was like all those people in journalism, all the journalists, all the Washington folks. They were watching The Daily Show, of course all the time. Then we went to the Publican national convention and it was all very different.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The Democrats was the Democrat Ask convention was like a keg party, you know, and everyone was just like yeah, you know, like like I'm drinking out of the keg and half aways over here, and you know, it's like and it was like and then you go to the Republican convention. It was like ice sculptures and everyone was like and it was like a you know, a debutante ball and uh. But we went to the parties. I remember, like people were still fans. It was the show. They were like, we watch you guys all the time, but I know we don't agree with you, but we watch you, you know. And so it was like kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about the show for a minute. Because since you are a straight guy, okay, I want to ask you a question. I don't know how you're going to.
Speaker 2: Make you assumptions, but all right, I mean.
Speaker 1: You mentioned your Wife's the only reason I'm saying that, right. I would never make it a full assumption without clues. I don't have that many straight guys on and.
Speaker 2: I love interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean if there are actors from the show and I can convince them to be on, like right now, I can't convince Corbett's beyond and I can't convince I can work to be on. So if you run into them, please put in word. Okay, I've tried really hard. They have their issues. Whatever I can work, doesn't want to watch his work or talk about it. Corbett's a complicated being, but whatever, I'm still trying to get them. I am so curious, Like when you watch this show as someone who's happily married, I'm just going to make that assumption. What do you think about Aiden and Carrie, because I'd love to hear straight men's perspectives.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so interesting. You know, give me a second here, because I thought about this before, but you know, I found that So when when the show was on, and and and and and my female friends were watching it, they all loved Aiden. They all loved Aiden got it not big, but they understood why she was like attracted too big, and you know that is kind of Aiden was, you know, the guy who was dependable and reliable and all that stuff. And there were so many times in my life, like I've you know, over the years, all through my single years, Like the conversation that I would have was funny because the conversation I had a lot of fem I've always had a lot of female friends, and and the conversations I would have with them when they were going through relationships were always like kind of like that, like there was a guy who was just reliable and stable and blah blah blah, and then there was this other person who like was on a motorcycle and I do and they would like end up like sabotaging the you know. I mean, I have a friend who was always she was always like I can't find a guy in LA, Like there's no you know, like like that guy. And I was like, no, you need you know what, you need to go to Kansas. You need to go to like Oklahoma, right because the guy that you want is not in.
Speaker 1: Because only certain people go to LA just like certain people come to New York, right.
Speaker 2: Right, you know, like you need to go and find a guy who like, you know, is working a real regular job and like has the thing. And it's just no, she didn't, but she actually ended up she actually ended up finding a really great guy, but it was all it all worked, but that conversation. So I think Aiden was always represented that guy who was like the salt of the earth, like just good guy, always trying to do but but sometimes a little clueless, like in a guy way.
Speaker 1: You know, like he doesn't understand that she doesn't want a brand new laptop right.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, like exactly right. And we've all been there all like even you know, every guy has been there where it's like I don't what is it that you want? Like because I'm trying to give you the thing that you want, but it seems like I can't. Everything I'm doing is disappointing you. So what is it that that I need to do? And And that conversation also I've had with a lot of my male friends, which is like I'm I'm I don't know, I'm trying, like I feel like i'm but somehow like she's just not happy with and and and I think it's like, you know, it comes down to like sort of we operate differently in terms of what we what we need sometimes, you know, like like the traditional sort of model of it is that men are always trying to fix the problem and women want us to just listen, and you know, and and that and that, and those traditional sort of male female roles are talked about a lot. But but I'm but we also flip. We we're not We're not all just in one category. You know. There are times when my wife and I where you know, my wife is a very sort of accomplished person who like has done a lot of things and run organizations and and has been like you know, and she's a she went to law school and you know, I mean all that stuff, so so, and I'm like a creative person, right and so sometimes like I will just circle the drain in terms of my pross. It depends because some of it has to do with just who you are. And if one partner is like I just need to process through this thing and like I'm having these feelings about all this stuff, and the other one is like, well, let me let me give you the answer, and you're like, I don't want the answer. I want to be able to, like, have you listen to me process it. And sometimes that takes skill on both sides because we're speaking different languages sometimes, you know, or sometimes she wants me to just listen to her and not and not try to solve it or judge it or you know what I mean, Like she just wants me to be like this thing and she's you know, kind of just talking out loud and we yeah, you know, so I don't know. Relationships. The relationships are not easy. They're not easy. They take work every single day. I found it too much easy you're to be a dad than it is to be a husband.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's amazing. Yeah, that's so interesting.
Speaker 2: Because when you're a dad, it's like you know exactly what you have to do. You just have to like take care of this person. I mean, I'm not saying it's easy, like it's a it's a cake walk. I'm just saying it's clear. It's more clear. It's more clear. My kid is young right now, maybe it'll.
Speaker 1: Get it is going to complicated.
Speaker 2: How old he's six got it's and I and I recognize that right now is like the best dad time. It's awesome.
Speaker 3: My my objectives are very clear, like I just keep him from walking into traffic, you know what I mean, Like like I do whatever activities I got, you know, like, and his needs are very clear.
Speaker 2: And as he gets older, that's going to.
Speaker 1: The team is the you know, there's a pretty big shift over My son.
Speaker 2: Who's six, has already discovered the whatever. He's already doing that, and it's so I'm like, I can't imagine what he's going to do. Get ready, He's already like whatever, dad, whatever.
Speaker 1: People tell me. I have a fourteen year old girl and an eight year old boy, and people keep telling me that it's harder with girls in teen and that the boys are going to be easy in teen, and I'm like, I pray to God that that is true, because my daughter's doing great.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's a big shift and you have to you know, like adjust in your mind right that like, Okay, this is that thing where they need space and get back off and kind of what you were talking about before too, because I do want to fix the things, you know what I'm saying, But you're getting to the point where they have to navigate the friendships and the things themselves.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You can't just I want to be like I'm going to call that person's mom. Yeah, I know, I know, I'm the instinct is there right, right, But you have to be like, no, I'm going to listen. You want to be like Okay, how did you feel, you know, like that right, like like calm, I'm super calm. I'm not going to get like emotionally involved, do you do you?
Speaker 2: Because I know like like my son, you know, like now that he's in kindergarten, it's like he's going through like like they're all sort of the social things and kids are.
Speaker 1: Being me yes or yes, we hear about this.
Speaker 2: Yes, some teasing going on, even a little bit of bullying happening.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question because my eight year old boy also talks about bullying. And I'm like, tell me what happened, and then he tells me what happened. In my head, I'm like, see that is not bullying, like we know, real bullying.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah no. I mean but you know, like there is the kind of way in which you start to realize that like clicks form and yeah, you know what I mean, and and like some kids and and and and my son is is I think he's like a sensitive, creative kid like I was, you know, and and and so he's hyper reactive and like what happens is that like the you know, the kids you know, and so, but you get I think the difference is that because it's your child, you get like emotionally invested in a way where you're like, I'm going to call their parents and you can't do it, or I'm going to tell that kid, you know, like like I see the kid at school and I'm just like that little kid.
Speaker 1: I know there's still kids I'm mad at from when Gemma was six, do you know what I mean? And I know their parents and I have to just go I'm gonna I'm going to hold it in. I'm not going to say anything about something that happened on the playground ten years ago.
Speaker 2: It's hard, and sometimes it's like their parents are really nice, their parents are so sweet, yes, and their kid is a nightmare, and you're just like You're like, like, your kid is like making my kid's life miserable.
Speaker 1: So it's so difficult. It's so difficult. I know, you guys, this is so much fun that we're going to have to have a part two, so join us later in the week on are You a Charlotte