Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboys. This He's Talking Cowboys, springing live.
Speaker 1: From the Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at.
Speaker 3: The Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Tech Burners here.
Speaker 5: Puscott Kitsondown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 6: Terrific Thursday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas, in the s WBC studios.
Speaker 2: Welcome in, everybody. We've got the whole cast and crew ready to hold rock today, the.
Speaker 1: Whole cast, all of it.
Speaker 2: Patrick Nosey, Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah stand back, Chris Beam in the back.
Speaker 1: I'm Kyle Yeomans. You guys go ahead and spin around.
Speaker 3: If you Chris Beam was in the back, he is definitely.
Speaker 7: Incredible. Sources Okay, Chris Beam is in the back.
Speaker 1: We would never reveal our sources.
Speaker 2: If if you have never joined Talking Cowboy, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: First off, you're in for a wild one.
Speaker 2: Welcome to every day, every day, but specifically today, We're already off to a hot start, yeah, and uh.
Speaker 7: And guess what you ain't goin nowhere.
Speaker 2: You gotta know if you also know if you ever had a question on whether or not we enjoy working together day in and day out and we get tired of each other. That hasn't happened yet. No, no, we don't. We enjoy it a little crazy. Seven minutes before the show, I think I've laughed more in those seven minutes than i have over the last seven days.
Speaker 7: We need we need a little bit of that. We need a little lightness on top of all the darkness we.
Speaker 4: See every I like the way you put that hate back of.
Speaker 2: Welcome into Talking Cowboys. Everybody, it is a Thursday. We're gonna have lab code in the third segment, So Patrick goc Walker is.
Speaker 1: Going to drop some science.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, what are we talking about today in lab coat?
Speaker 1: Listen?
Speaker 7: The Cowboys?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are talking about the castles.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's good. It ain't at least we're on topic.
Speaker 1: It ain't pretty smash smash, which is we talk about.
Speaker 4: Stephen Jones said earlier this week when he was asked on One three Fan if the Cowboys are still a playoff team. He still views the Cowboys of the playoff team, and he said absolutely that absolutely has stuck in my crawl ever since my craw not in the crawl in my Where is that located? It's a family show, curious at least sometimes never heard of it. Yeah, it's well, okay, you're not from the South. I'm not from you're not from the South?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, northwest South.
Speaker 4: Yeah, something sticking in your craw is absolutely a Southern phrase.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's a thing. So we'll we'll talk about that because absolutely.
Speaker 7: Use in Washington, is it like grinding your throwing in the side buttering.
Speaker 2: They were just grinding my gears with that whole thing.
Speaker 4: Is probably gonna okay, yeah, same, Okay, it irked me. Stuck in the crawl.
Speaker 1: Little residue.
Speaker 2: Is patrick when you talk about Stephen Jones saying that's the ground?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So let's just say we'll talk about how absolutely shouldn't have a subjective definition based on who's answering the question. Yeah it is the cow Are the Cowboys a playoff team?
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that nice coming up in segment three, We're gonna of course preview the Dallas defense going up against the Arizona Cardinals offense.
Speaker 1: In the second segment, I did the Lord's work the other day, did I did? What is that? It was on Tuesday when I was on Good Morning Football.
Speaker 4: They were talking there talking, no, no, listen, I represent our people, Okay. They were asking about Cinderella teams. They said Cinderella teams. I said, I don't like the term Cinderella, but they're pretty much saying like teams that you have to be aware of that could get into the playoffs based upon their current standings, right, And I so teams that are under the radar, under the raid because of.
Speaker 1: The start exactly. And I went to bat for the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: I went to bat for the Cowboys, and I said that the Cowboys get into which play because I truly believe it. I said, I believe the Cowboys sneak into the playoffs and the number two spot in the NFC East with eight eight and one.
Speaker 1: That's what I said. Did they get in with eight eight and one? That's how they slide into the playoffs? So what will you giants? Oh? Seven, well, eleven.
Speaker 4: Eleven, twenty eleven, So you think there they could be the twenty eleven Giants.
Speaker 1: Yes, That's when I walked away with jewelry.
Speaker 3: Hmm, you can see.
Speaker 1: That's why you have the date, Bernie. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only part of me that disagrees. We've talked about this before. This team is not as far off as you think, and there are there are ways to fix it now. And that's why I think all of us collectively have said, please do something and the next week and a half.
Speaker 1: I mean, you don't know, it's less than that. How many days? Now says it's five days.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's next Tuesday, tuesdays.
Speaker 2: So with all that being said, they're not too far off, but with the schedule that they have in front of them, it is not easy.
Speaker 4: You know what, it was worse before the season started. What was worse the schedule was worse the team.
Speaker 7: I mean that's always yeah, you mean, because that's the parody of the NFL.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you've already.
Speaker 2: Lost to the Broncos and I hear the Panthers. I hear you in both of those teams. Going into the year, you probably would have said you had a shot against it.
Speaker 1: But that's actually.
Speaker 7: Proving his point though, because before the season started, that skip, that part of the schedule looked a lot leaner than it did now that we're currently in it, and the Panthers and the Broncos both look a lot better than you kind of expected going into the season. Yeah, yeah, I'm kind of with you, and I don't think those powerhouse teams that you're expecting at the end of the schedule are quite the same look at the I mean the Vikings we were talking about as like Washington, I don't know Washington. I don't know even the Chiefs to some extent, Brandon, they're kind of back on track.
Speaker 2: Chargers are better than what you thought they were going into the year. Of course, the Eagles, the Chiefs, and the Lions are still juggernauts in this league.
Speaker 3: The Raiders probably aren't.
Speaker 2: That you anticipated that being a win, and they're not going to go down without a fight. You think Ashton gent is gonna have something to say about playing against the Cowboys after growing up in Frisco.
Speaker 7: I mean, it has a lot to say.
Speaker 1: He had.
Speaker 4: Whatever he wants to say with the whole line is, yeah, no matter what I think, and what really.
Speaker 1: I think, I think eight wins. I truly think eight eight and one.
Speaker 7: I don't think that's out of the Roman possiblity at all. I think that's fair.
Speaker 4: What that gets you in and eight eight and one in the NFC, Yes, in the NFC, Yes, with the commanders stumbling it, it might might very well. But what's gonna with the the ratchet in the in the gears is really going to be if you somehow survive Philly. And I believe you can't survive Philly because you almost beat Philly. But that's still going to be a mark. He's going to be a Philly Kansas City who looks back on track, the Detroit Lions powerhouse. You don't know what you get from the Vikings toss up. Maybe Vikings Chargers. We already know Herbert is playing. He's playing like he's playing. If you somehow survived that, those the fact that your last two games or division division games could could very well fall right into this point.
Speaker 3: I think you need six.
Speaker 4: I'm giving five. Fine, I'm giving I mean who I think who they take. I'm not making any No, it's not Friday. But you got Arizona, you got the Raiders. I think you Minnesota. I think you win that one to Washington.
Speaker 1: And New York.
Speaker 3: You got a shot to win all of those games.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, that's what I think. Eight and one. I think you split with Washington. I do too. You've already won one, so that means and that means you know, I don't. So here's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I said, you split with Washington because at that point, if it even if it plays out to what you're saying, that means that Week seventeen game might be deciding between Washington and the Cowboys who gets the wildcard spot. So Washington's going to play out of their mind. And oh, by the way, you're in Washington. Granted Dak Prescott excels in Washington, but still nonetheless, I mean commanders Washington. Washington is having a lot of issues right now. I agree they've lost their rather not getting Doran's back for the year. Yeah, so they've lost a lot of positions that are influential the year Eler's gone. I think Scary Terry is hindered. I don't know that he'll be himself this year because that quad is just.
Speaker 7: Both of those receivers or not quad is the quad Obviously.
Speaker 4: They don't, So I just think that their compen defense, but.
Speaker 7: At least not to throw water on the conversation or anything. But I think that goes to the point that you're going to make in Science Lab too. It's like this, I'm thinking of the playoff team.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, so question being that the one should not get in the playoffs, but it should not. It should not, but it has it is okay, real quick with the position. We'll have one more show, two more shows before the trade.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Three.
Speaker 2: Actually, Tuesday's going to be basically a trade deadline preview for.
Speaker 4: Sure, positional need and then they'll wait until our show is over to make a move one position.
Speaker 1: If you were to make a move one position right now.
Speaker 7: Defensive tackle, edge rusher, edge rush, edge edge tackle tackle.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, you think that you're going defensive line either way.
Speaker 4: You think the edge is going to make a big difference. Yes, nobody's given up their premier defensive edge rusher.
Speaker 1: Not yet.
Speaker 3: And I wouldn't be willing to give up the given one up.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't be willing to give the compensation where they have to give to get an edge right now. I wouldn't be willing to give up the composition that you have.
Speaker 1: To agree is fair.
Speaker 7: I'd be willing to give up the compensation for to.
Speaker 4: Get a sack tier because you're gonna get a second tier right defensive airG DRC. If you get one, you're gonna get a second tier edge rusher. You're not gonna get the premiere.
Speaker 1: I think I can agree with it, and you're gonna have to overpay it.
Speaker 4: Don't think about premiere. You think about Crosby Hutchinson, Micah Garrett. Those are premiere, Yeah, locked up, So people beneath that are second tier.
Speaker 1: There's not disrespect, it just is what it is. There's levels of everything.
Speaker 4: You would be getting a second tier edge rusher, and you would have to give up something hefty in order to get them in a team that's going to give them up probably has other pass r I'm not considered better than them.
Speaker 2: I'm not making that move if it's not unless it's for and.
Speaker 4: Nobody's giving up an elite pass rusher. Probably they're signing them. That's the point, is what they're doing.
Speaker 7: So to that point that that's why I feel strongly about I think.
Speaker 1: Somebody would give up a premier detackle.
Speaker 7: I also feel like linebackers in their process as well.
Speaker 4: Probably one might also give up a premier safety. Yes, I don't think if it's a team safety safety, you definitely need help as safety. But I think the greatest impact. The greatest impact is a dtackle because if you have a if you bring in a great D tackle, a great, not a good, a great D tackle, and you put him next to Clark and Osa, I think that you now are formidable against the run. And if you could be formidable and take away something that the opposing team can do, well, yes, now you can focus on one aspect that you're weak. Right now, you're trying to focus on multiple So.
Speaker 7: To get solidify one, to be mid.
Speaker 4: At a couple of spots you're mid and right. If you could be remotely dominant or at least discouraging at one spot and take away one aspect of a game, now, all of a sudden, now is process of elimination.
Speaker 1: I can negate what you're doing.
Speaker 7: I don't improves linebacker play as well.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, the linebackers that you have would be the benefactors of a solid D line. Think about all the great defenses, honestly, think about the great defenses in history. They all had solid D lines. Oh yeah, we can't all agree on the D line for sure. I'm not talking about it. No, you're talking d d ns don't help linebackers be great. D tackles help linebackers be great. So if you can't turn over your linebackers, and you have talented linebackers that just need need some assistance because they're getting blocked by three hundred pounds, get the dominant D tackles, and all of a sudden, your linebacker has become better because what do they do do best?
Speaker 1: And I like that.
Speaker 7: I like the point that you're making, though, is that getting a defensive tackle would improve not only the defensive tackle and sure the defensive line, but also the linebacker, where as an edge rusher would only improve.
Speaker 4: So let me paint this this this context for you, and I don't disagree.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree.
Speaker 3: Everything you're saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but let me and this is Kyle's gonna love this guy segways right to the run.
Speaker 3: I completely disagree, I say, and that rarely happens.
Speaker 1: Here happens.
Speaker 4: Here's why I don't believe they will trade for defensive tackle number one. You already did that, okay that I don't see them doing it twice in one season. But also, and this is not from a me standpoint, I'm telling you what their thought is going to be understood.
Speaker 1: Who returned to practice yesterday.
Speaker 4: Okay, now you can have the conversation all the live long day about oh, is that going to be enough?
Speaker 1: I don't know that it will be.
Speaker 4: So I agree that it may not be enough, and that if you were going to entertain it, you wouldn't let Perreon Winfrey stop you from entertaining it.
Speaker 1: That's my stance.
Speaker 4: However, let's flip to the to the front office, this thought process, the fact that they have returned Perryon Winfrey to practice five days six days yesterday, six days ahead of the trade deadline, which means they haven't seen Pereon Winfrey on the field yet. They're going to apply belief there and they're going to tell themselves that Perryon Winfrey is the solution behind Kenny Clark and alongside O SO and Sally. I'm telling you that's what they're going to tell them. I understand what you're saying. I would love to be incorrect, but I'm telling you, based on covering this team and their moves in their thought process or respect your expert, that's what they're looking at all right, Not that I agree, but that's what out side of pereyon Winfrey, so we can get back on the track outside of now this is on track because the rundown was Parry, Harry and Winfrey. We can't have any expectations of him right now. So let's move him to the side as should Let's move him we can's.
Speaker 1: Push him to the side. Okay, who's behind Clark? Name the two people it's.
Speaker 7: Switching at.
Speaker 3: I don't, So you're going to go. I'm still I'm going to go.
Speaker 4: You're a dominant detail, not not a good one, not a contributor, a dominant I'm talking about somebody who walks up to the line of scrimmage. You see him and Kenny Clark next to each other, and you're like, crap, let's go to the outside and where your linebackers go.
Speaker 1: We can run a hit. There's no question about that.
Speaker 4: Does anybody have any questions about our current linebackers ability to run and hit unimpeded by offensive lineman. No, So you automatically get better. You automatically get better. You're running defense, Your run rush defense gets substantially better. Your your ability for your linebackers to build their confidence they're running hit and do what they do best.
Speaker 1: Increases by changing one one position.
Speaker 4: If you get a defensive end, yes, you could can improve in the past us until they put somebody else over there to help block, and then what everybody else? Every other position is still the same. Your rush defense still didn't improve. Your linebackers are still having the same issues they have. You can solve a lot with this defense. This the safety position needs help because their communication has been pepula pew. But in terms of impacting the front seven D tackle, get it. And there's teams that are struggling right now that have dominant D tackles. There are teams that are willing to say, hey, we're in the in the crapper, you.
Speaker 1: Want him, now here you go.
Speaker 4: And I'm going to throw this to caut How many teams are struggling with the dominant pass rush off the edge?
Speaker 1: Nobody's giving That's the thing.
Speaker 4: Nobody know what I'm saying, Like, it's possible to still struggle with an elite name and five dominant defensive ends in this league, Doman.
Speaker 1: You just named most of them, and Garrett Crosby, And.
Speaker 4: Are any of those teams give up their guys? Absolutely not.
Speaker 3: So we said we all agree with Las Vegas may be looking for it.
Speaker 1: We all agree. We all agree of them are great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we all agree that they are not giving You're not giving up a dominant defensive end.
Speaker 1: You're not. So do you believe that for the right price.
Speaker 4: I think for the right price, what Dallas is willing to give up, let's yes, But we don't We don't know what Dallas is. We definitely know, we definitely know anybody's guys gonna require if you want to get a dominant defensive end. You're talking about you're in a conversation of a first and a couple of twos threes like you're you're giving up.
Speaker 7: But we don't know what Dallas is willing to give.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm sacking.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they are willing to do.
Speaker 2: And if one of the player, if there's a of capital to do it and it's going to secure you an elite level at Edge Rusher, I think it will be possible.
Speaker 3: It is possible that that that you.
Speaker 1: Know what, I don't disagree. Everything is possible.
Speaker 4: However, the probability of any of these teams giving up their elite pastors, we.
Speaker 1: Just went through it. Sure, Michael, you just had just had.
Speaker 2: He's the nature of the position. Mass rushers are premier and they cost more. Defensive tackles are not that flashy premiere position, so they don't cost as much.
Speaker 7: That's why I want That's why you which is fine.
Speaker 3: I get it. Suring shoring up.
Speaker 2: What you've got on the inside of that interior defensive line is going to help your football team. I don't disagree there, but I'm also going to raise you the fact that this isn't the only spot on the defense that needs help.
Speaker 3: You need help everywhere else you do. And you already if you would.
Speaker 2: Argue out of defensive tackle, ed rusher, linebacker, corner, safety, who has played the best out of those five position groups on the defensive side, my answer would be the interior of the defensive line.
Speaker 1: Even more reason to get a dominant guy. You can be more dominant.
Speaker 7: But the second Kenny Clark is out, what are you do?
Speaker 3: He's not out, He was almost out, He was almost.
Speaker 4: But this guy was gonna fall At that point, they're they're going to save.
Speaker 3: You can say that with anything.
Speaker 2: You could say, oh, what happens whenever, but Dak Press got out.
Speaker 3: What happens when Jake fred out.
Speaker 2: You can have that same conversation with you, but can you Disagree's have seven defensive tackles that can play football and allow for the rest of our defense to fall apart.
Speaker 4: You have one, you have one that you got three, you have one. You have one that discourages the opposing team from running up the middle.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: One, let me ask you. Let me ask you is keep it one hundred question. What's the most important position in all the football quarterback?
Speaker 1: Quarterback?
Speaker 4: Okay, so if you harass, terrorize, and take down the quarterback, you probably but you can probably see that.
Speaker 1: Though you can scheme.
Speaker 7: I don't know you can sack a quarterback five times in a single game and not win this year.
Speaker 1: There's a handful of guys there.
Speaker 4: Again, we just went down the list of a handful of guys that can single handedly disrupt your game. Like like what I'm saying, Like you can circle them and say, these guys are different, these guys are different, Miles Garrett, Max Crosby, Hutchinson, Micah. Outside of that, there's a handful of other guys that you're like, Okay, these guys, they can affect the game, but you're not fearful of anybody else outside of those guys, maybe a hunter down there and with the Houston Texas. Other than that, there's some really good path streussers. But they're not those guys, right, you know what I'm saying. Those guys are premiere, like cream of the crop. Like, hey, those guys, whatever the heck they want, because they're that dominant. Outside of that, there's not you can literally discourage teams from running the ball straight straight, That's where you're issuing, and then.
Speaker 1: They're going to drop back and past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, then they're gonna throw it all under in terms of they'ren.
Speaker 1: You have to make one move.
Speaker 3: This is my question.
Speaker 4: If you had to make one move, that one move at DETAC will improves multiple position groups.
Speaker 3: I would argue a pass rusher does the same.
Speaker 1: Not even a little bit. It gives a little bit teams.
Speaker 3: Teams have all day to throw the football.
Speaker 1: And then what if ax is in the pocket.
Speaker 2: What if we talked about with these mobile quarterbacks, when they get outside the pocket, how does that affect your secondary contain? How do they get outside the pocket. I'm not arguing you're not fixed. I'm not arguing that you're that you don't have other issues. We understand that.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying is if you had to make one move, what move is going to be the most impactful for your entire defense. But here's here's where Kyle and I correct me from. Here's where Kyle and I stand in relation to your Yeah, you went and got a pass rusher, right as it stands, safety, safety, cornerback, linebacker, defensive end, defensive tackle.
Speaker 1: Of those groups.
Speaker 4: The team, the group that has had the strongest showing for the most part of the season is defensive tackle.
Speaker 1: You're saying, throw more at that.
Speaker 4: And ignore the glaring issue at one of the weakest points of your attack, which is defensive end, which also rather you agree or not, it's true as it also helps impact what happens on the back end because if you're pressuring these quarterbacks and you're knocking them off the spot and you're keeping contained.
Speaker 1: That helps keep them in the pocket.
Speaker 4: Guess what now, Your defensive tackles, when they penetrate, they can get to them. Windows get shortened on the back end, But when they break, when they break contain, linebackers get stressed, cornerbacks get stressed. Secondary safeties can stressed and then chunk plays explosive downfields.
Speaker 1: So I'm right there with out right here.
Speaker 4: So let me give you a different perspective from from a quarterbacks perspective. I can promise you I was less concerned about dns than I was about detackles because you can move completely more. All of them can move absolutely. But guess what I'm telling you. If you have two dominant defensive linement, how many offensive linemen are required to block them?
Speaker 3: Probably two, three to four, three, three to four.
Speaker 1: So now now your defensive ends now have what you single up right one on one matchups. Correct.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree.
Speaker 1: That's how football. We're not disagreeing, Isaiah, but you're disagreement.
Speaker 4: Yes, you're saying not even an impactful on an upgrade upgrade. Le's talk about your egos. Okay, where do you not want to go up the middle? However, do they have a dominant pass rusher right now? But do they have pass rushes who can impact the game? Do the Cowboys have pass rushers who can impact the game? And I'm not talking about easy Eagles. He's progressing, But for the most part, at least the Eagles have who edge rushers that are serviceable at least.
Speaker 7: I think getting you a defensive tackle and shuring up that spot makes those pass rushers.
Speaker 1: Better better, and you could argue, you can.
Speaker 7: Argue on both sides.
Speaker 4: You can argue on most sass rusher can impact positively the defensive tax.
Speaker 1: But you're not going to get an elite one.
Speaker 3: Here's here's just not an upgrade you need anything.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: Your your best defensive tackle right now, tell you it's.
Speaker 1: Less impactful than a de tackle. I'm just telling you.
Speaker 2: Your best defensive tackles right now are Kenny Clark and Osaz. That's a good one to two punch on the inside of your defensive line. Good When you look outside, you've got a growing Donovan Azeraki and you have James Houston who have made the most impact at your edge rusher spot. Nothing against those two guys, but you can upgrade at that position. When you go get a dominant defensive tackle. All that's doing is taking one or two of Osa or Kenny off the field, and then it's just I get it. Are you gonna play three defensive tackles? Do you consider Osa to be a true one technique? No, he's a three takes three alays. Can he play five? Probably not? Absolutely, he can't.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: He hasn't done a whole lot of that. Here's my thing. I don't disagree with you that they can be better at stopping the run. And I don't disagree with you that having another dominant defensive tackle can help your linebackers.
Speaker 3: All of that is factual, all of that can be happening.
Speaker 2: But I think when you have your main problem right now as quarterbacks having time to throw picking apart your secondary and a secondary that is stretched so thin at safety and at cornerback, that anything you can do to take time off their plate you're gonna do.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Stopping the run has always been secondary in this defense, and still they do that better than they do with stopping the pass, right, And that's why I want to pass.
Speaker 1: That's what we are in real quick.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree with anything you're saying.
Speaker 1: You want to be mid everywhere. No, here's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I want to be serviceable on defense, which is the whole point there.
Speaker 1: It does no ball, You're right, we agree, Isaia knows ball.
Speaker 3: Not disagreeing with what I say.
Speaker 4: But for the gentleman in the chat that's saying what Kyle and noci are missing is that the losses are predicated to pun the Cowboys run defense. Okay, we're not missing that. What we're saying is the Cowboys made a trade for a three time pro bowler.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, so, and.
Speaker 3: They paid eighty million dollars to their three.
Speaker 4: Technique exactly so in their mind, and before week five, I'll say the run defense showed it could do some things. Before week five and going through now you have how many instances of the past rush impacting the game positively?
Speaker 1: Maybe one one New York. That's all you got.
Speaker 4: So we're not we're not missing the point of the run defense needs to be what it is. We're saying, you are so deficient an impact on the edges versus your ability to impact the middle of the defense, that you have to.
Speaker 1: Attack the weakest point when you're adding talent. That's all we're saying.
Speaker 4: We're not saying the world beaters that were stopping the run, we're saying they can't change the game. All we have different approaches. If I was a general manager, I want to be dominant somewhere. I don't want to I don't want to be I want to be in in a couple of places. I want to be dominant somewhere where are you dominant? I want to be dominant in the middle. Take away something that they do. I don't want them to have the ability to feel comfortable and confident doing everything because I have one guy who may or may not get to the quarter.
Speaker 1: But you're at a seventies disagreeing that.
Speaker 4: Our point being kyling out, our point being you can be dominant in the middle.
Speaker 1: Wonderful. That's wonderful. Would love that, Love that.
Speaker 4: But the quarterback having time to throw, being able to break contain to stress your linebackers and your secondary that's oh, by the way, suffering so many injuries. They don't know what to do with themselves.
Speaker 1: Why would you cool?
Speaker 4: You can stop the run and then Russell Wilson is going to come in and throw for five hundred.
Speaker 1: Y'all.
Speaker 4: What Josh and I are saying is your guys that you have that you don't feel comfortable and competent with right now become serviceable when you are able to dominate in one area. We're saying, if you have to make one change, that make the biggest ripple effect.
Speaker 1: De tackle does that.
Speaker 4: It makes your defensive ends have one on one matchups allows or your linebackers are running hit everybody.
Speaker 1: That whole front seven gets better.
Speaker 2: As a whole, as I just said, and we do have to go to break. As I just said, I think you've already gotten solid defensive tackle play and it hasn't mattered outside.
Speaker 3: That's that's the point from me, solid dominant correct?
Speaker 1: Solid? Are you even remote? Solid on the even remotely? Not?
Speaker 8: Great job, everybody, Josh, all right, more talking cowboys after this.
Speaker 7: I'm home.
Speaker 6: Hey, mom, before you ask, I've done my homework in the dishwasher's an looading?
Speaker 1: Nice? Hey? Can you ahn? Yes, I've got the finale ready to play? Here's your wine? Wow? Isn't it nice? Not having to ask? We think so.
Speaker 9: That's why if there's a network interruption, AT and T will proactively credit you for a full day of service guarantee credit for fib er downtime lasting twenty minutes or more, or for wireless downtime lasting sixty minutes and more caused by a single incident PAC ten more towers strictions Exclusions apply. Se at dot com slash guarantee for details.
Speaker 2: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back. You need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle Coffee today.
Speaker 10: Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise and John Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to help you get the job done right.
Speaker 1: We're with you.
Speaker 10: That's our promise to you because no matter the project or the challenge you're facing.
Speaker 2: Where with you?
Speaker 1: Where are united? How's it going? You see that Cowboys game?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: I watched. I've been seeing some good things totally.
Speaker 4: They have some talent, You have some great talent and they got some fight hoping this is the year me too.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm Cody. By the way, I'm Travis. Nice to meet you, Travis, Go Cowboys Go.
Speaker 11: Cowboys make a new friend based solely on their shirt choice.
Speaker 7: What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 11: Bank of America the Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys, Copyright twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Bank of America Corporation to Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Back here on Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company. This segment is brought to you by Invisi Line, the Official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys with Patrick Noci Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah Standback, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 7: That was the biggest sway of a segment ever. I mean, that was a very long first segment, but the way we got into it starting the show, it was so good by the time we ended the segment. That's hilarious.
Speaker 1: Sorry I came with the curve ball, but I like it though.
Speaker 2: We're football guys, yeah, right, like football part of the podcasting space and part of this game and why we love it so much, or the debates that come out of it, of course. I mean, and as long as you're able to be civil in a debate and debate with your brothers civilized, it's it's legitimately one of the most fun things, so good that you could possibly do. That's why people love fantasy.
Speaker 3: Football, because you get to fight with everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got enough fight my best man at my wedding yesterday because he meddled in a trade I was trying to make on my foot.
Speaker 1: Dynasty League got mad at you.
Speaker 3: Sounds super villain. I'm telling you I was legitimate.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's trying to be Adam schefter for our league and also try and be a GM in our league.
Speaker 3: And it's a conflict of interest where he knows what a.
Speaker 7: Conflict of interest in the use of fantasy football is insane.
Speaker 4: But this is the point we getting it to all the legalities.
Speaker 7: Kyle has filed an injunction on his best friend.
Speaker 3: I was trying to get his draft picks taken away.
Speaker 2: Actually, I've got a text message I said I would like to file.
Speaker 1: A former formal complaint. I was like, and I would have gotten away with it too.
Speaker 7: And your friends say, I'll take that up with the GM.
Speaker 1: Where you take.
Speaker 7: He says nah?
Speaker 3: He says nah, they all down vote Shut up, Kyle.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get into the defensive preview here for the Cowboys. Defense taking on the Arizona Cardinals offense. We talked a lot about the Cardinals defense and how they are going to combat Dak Prescott and company in yesterday's show, so if you haven't already, go check it out. But of course, Arizona doesn't really know what's going on on the offensive side of things except for one guy, and his name is Trey McBride.
Speaker 3: He's had an incredible year.
Speaker 2: He is taking steps forward from the tight end position, one of the leading threats at the tight end position through the NFL. With what quarterback though, But that's the point. Kyler Murray has been out the last couple of weeks. Jacoby Brissette has been playing pretty good football as the backup there. Kyler is questionable going into this matchup. I think Arizona believes he's playing.
Speaker 1: He's playing.
Speaker 2: It looks like he is going to play SAT and T Stadium's exactly.
Speaker 3: He is nine and oh all time at AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 7: Which includes high school, YEP, college.
Speaker 3: Five and oh in high school.
Speaker 7: I don't like those words.
Speaker 3: At Allen High School five and oh.
Speaker 2: He won three state championships at Allen High School, then he went one to OH at Texas A and M one and oh at Oklahoma, and then he's two and oh with the Arizona Cardinals to make his nine and oh record.
Speaker 7: At least he has never embarrassed us on Monday night football, right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that that that already happened.
Speaker 4: Oh, so you're saying that Kyler Murray is undefeated in the building, he's playing back at home, his job is at risk of being lost, and he's playing on the only night, the only game on Monday night football where the whole world is.
Speaker 3: Watching and call of duty's not out yet.
Speaker 7: So and against uh, one of the worst defenses.
Speaker 1: In the NFL. Yeah, I think he's one of you think he's.
Speaker 7: Inting there being nice? Why the worst?
Speaker 1: Just stay with your chest.
Speaker 7: It's not Friday yet, buddy.
Speaker 1: The facts of the facts, they are the worst.
Speaker 3: Where y Bright likes better at quarterback?
Speaker 4: That's good questions, probably Jacoby, honestly, Yeah, that's definitely Jacoby.
Speaker 1: You think so?
Speaker 4: I know so based upon the stats, twenty one games with Kyler Murray three touchdowns? Was it three games with Jacoby Brissett three touchdowns?
Speaker 1: Oh? Very ansterwout That is the math more math thing.
Speaker 4: Two games I fault twenty one games with Murray three nine yard average, three touchdowns, sixty seven yards per game. Brissette two games, twelve yards or mean twelve twelve catches a game, nine.
Speaker 1: Twelve targets a game.
Speaker 4: I fault nine receptions, seventy three receiving.
Speaker 1: Yards, three touchdowns.
Speaker 4: So what you're saying is more yards, more attempts, more catches, more catches, same amount of touchdowns in two games versus twenty one games. So the way twenty one trade McBride is to play Kyla Murror.
Speaker 3: He's a right, that was that was on the rundown, that was going to stop trading.
Speaker 1: Everybody.
Speaker 2: Packetty, that'll do it in our finale episode if you could do it's a favorite coach can and that would be great.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, But on a serious note, who would.
Speaker 2: Dallas want to see a quarterback Jacoby Brissett more of a pocket passer, solidified player.
Speaker 1: I'm serious, I'm serious. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: Or here's why it doesn't matter, because you don't want to see Kyler Murray's little video game self running all over the field, extending plays, moving the chains, et cetera. Because you can't keep containing. But at the same maybe trade for an interest. But if if it's Jacoby Brissett more of a pocket guy, well the problem with that is you have a secondary that's struggling to cover primarily because they're being asked to do something that they're not comfortable doing, which is zone coverage. And we talked about this earlier this week, Isaiah, you bought the feature for from Josh that the Cowboys would break the fifty percent mark on Man.
Speaker 1: They moved in the wrong direction. So now you just you just don't know what you're going to get.
Speaker 4: So you have to assume that it's going to be another zone heavy situation. And so Jacoby Brissett, he's a veteran, a lot of skins on the wall.
Speaker 1: He knows how to read zone coverage.
Speaker 7: The Cowboys rather see Uncle Rico play quarterback.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know Uncle Rico mountains. Yeah that's true. What if the Cowboys need give up plays? All right?
Speaker 4: So he don't Marico would give the day or Napoleon when he threw the pork chop.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I think it's I.
Speaker 7: Think diagnosing this defense for Jacobe percent would be a lot easier than Kyle Kyler Murray the offense doesn't look as crisp with Kyler Murray in the backfield. But granted, it's that dual threat that's going to give you problems either way. I don't think you like either matchup for the Dallas defense because, again, like we've talked about many times this whole week, basically, the Dallas Cowboys are the worst defense in the NFL. You don't want to see either of them. So give me Kyler Murray.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give me Kyler Murray.
Speaker 4: Take Kyler yeah, because their their past concepts are completely different. When Kyler Murray's any game, doue too. Yeah, it's just basic stuff. I mean, they do bootleg freaking all the time. They bootleg boot leg.
Speaker 1: Because they want him out of the pocket. Wan him out of the pocket, yeat. So getting him out of the pocket.
Speaker 4: Now, obviously he's a threat to run, so you have to have But that's one of the things that Cowboys linebackers actually do well. They run right, They run, They can run, they can hit, So you can have guys that can match him. I don't want to say match him, but at least keep up with him athletically. And the concepts are pretty predictable. They're relatively predictable. Once he gets out of the pocket and you start talking about boot leg, there's only so many different routes that you can run.
Speaker 7: As long as we have good communication.
Speaker 4: And then they, yeah, you can pass it off, but do you No, Yeah, it's tough for it.
Speaker 1: I figured out just lebron.
Speaker 2: Therefore, is it tough for a defense to have both quarterbacks on their mind going into a matchup when they haven't had the best success whenever it comes to preparation in the early parts of the week. You get an extra day going into Monday night football. But they're having the plan for both Jacoby Brissette and for Kyle.
Speaker 1: They feel the same way we feel.
Speaker 4: I think they have a good inkling that that Kyder Murray's most likely probably And again, if you have if Jacoby Brissette was going to sit back in a bubble and you guys are obviously not happy with the pass rush, then I would much rather have a Kyler Murray that likes to get out the pocket, where he's out the bubble and now I have opportunity to go get him. I just I just don't feel like that's a good bubble.
Speaker 1: Pup bubble Buddy SpongeBob reference.
Speaker 4: I just I feel like you have to prepare for both, and I feel like as a veteran defensive coordinator in the NFL, you should be well versed in doing so, because on any given week you're going to run up against the situation where you know it might be an injury and you just don't know which quarterback is going to start. So this this won't be your first time having to prep for two quarterbacks. And then, like you said, Kyle, great point, you have an added day to do that, so there is no excuse to be unprepared regardless of which quarterback is back there. Now, being prepared is one thing check hopefully, So what that preparation looks like, as far as what scheme you're going to call, what does that preparation look like? As far as translating to execution or lack the rug, communication or lack the rug, That's where for me, I've seen so many instances of things falling apart in those latter two categories for the Cowboys defense, that be it Jacoby Brissett, Orkler Murray. You're equally in trouble because of injuries, because of schematic issues, because of communication issues, because of execution issues and because of effort issues. So, like you said, be Uncle Rico back there. You're in trouble until you're not in trouble with this defense. You're in trouble until you show me otherwise.
Speaker 2: All Right, we got to take our second break. We ran long in the first segment. We want to give enough time for lab code here on this Thursday of talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Pat's already giving us the t's eight.
Speaker 2: We've got it coming up when we come back with more talking right after.
Speaker 1: This, Like, g how's it going. You see that Cowboys game? Oh? I watched.
Speaker 4: I've been seeing some good things totally. They have some talent. You have some great talent, and they got some fight hoping this is the year me too. Oh I'm Cody. By the way, I'm Travis. Nice to meet you.
Speaker 1: Travis. Go Cowboys Go.
Speaker 11: Cowboys make a new friend based on their shirt choice.
Speaker 1: What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 11: Bank of America the official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys, Copyright twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Bank of America Corporation.
Speaker 12: If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of cowboys. Nation, and if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 7: The wins will be even taste here. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 2: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus, because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy liftball.
Speaker 1: Make a play for the playmaker.
Speaker 2: At get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 6: I'm home, Hey mom, Before you ask, I've done my homework.
Speaker 7: And the dishwashers unloading.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 9: Hey can you hey, hon, Yes, I've got the finale ready to play.
Speaker 1: Here's your wine. Wow?
Speaker 3: Isn't it nice?
Speaker 1: Not having to ask? We think so.
Speaker 9: That's why if there's a network interruption at and T will proactively credit you for a full day of service guarantee credit for fiber downtime last in twenty minutes or more, or for wireless downtime lasting sixty minutes and more caused by a single incident impact in ten more towers. The strictions and exclusion apply att dot Com Slash guarantee for details.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys back.
Speaker 2: Here on Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dabs Cowboys, Where your Cowboys year to a Black Rifle Coffee Company location on Monday, any game day and get ten percent off your entire purchase.
Speaker 7: Wait, ten percent off of them things.
Speaker 3: I will be there, Yeah, and.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go to Kyle's afterwards.
Speaker 3: Come on after you get your Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was watching the house places coming out the way. It is definitely out.
Speaker 7: It's out of the way of Black Rifle coff Black Ben and that's a proble.
Speaker 4: Black riffle coffee is not out of the way of Kyle correct, is out of the way of black raff exactly.
Speaker 1: Trust me.
Speaker 2: With the traffic that I have to deal with on the way home, I agree, it's out of the way.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: Sounds like you need some black ruffle coffee before you That's a.
Speaker 3: Great idea for RTD.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna wear this hoodie there on Monday game before the g T D.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, it is all right.
Speaker 3: Larry said. The best part of his Thursday is a little bit of lapat.
Speaker 1: Hey, what's up? Blarry brings in Yes, science all right.
Speaker 4: So Stephen Jones, Oh my friend, so one of five three the fan, as Stephen Jones earlier this week, if he still believes this Cowboys team at three four and one with the worst defense in the league could still be a playoff team with the worst the worst. Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't have a problem with optimism.
Speaker 4: I have a problem with speaking in definites when definites are not, you know, in play Okay, so Stephen Jones, you know, he said absolutely again, I don't have a problem with the optimism. I don't have a problem with the context. He's using the painted but absolutely just doesn't work for me. Definition of absolutely, folks, And I'm pulling this right from the gullet of Webster themselves. Absolute with no qualification, restriction or limitation totally. Okay, So with no equivocation, totally, This Dallas Cowboys team can be a playoff team this season.
Speaker 1: Here's my problem with that.
Speaker 4: At three four and one, let's just look at the numbers, you have only a fourteen four, twenty four percent chance I'm making the playoffs. Twenty four percent chance of making the playoffs at.
Speaker 7: Three forourm one doesn't seem very good.
Speaker 1: Doesn't seem very good. Not good.
Speaker 4: There's a greater than three fourths chance that you will miss the playoffs. As we have this conversation at the time of that question being answered, should the Cowboys lose to the Cardinals on Monday night, they will drop to three five and one, and their odds will fall off a cliff and it will go from twenty four percent to only fifteen percent chance.
Speaker 7: Roberts, that is not good.
Speaker 4: Now, Now your next question is might be well, no, see, if they defeat the Cardinals, that's got to be good.
Speaker 1: Of course, it's good.
Speaker 4: Wins are always good getting back to five hundred, giving yourself a chance and a division that outside of the Eagles is still trying to figure yourself out.
Speaker 1: That's that's great, that's good.
Speaker 4: It's also true, though, that it will only improve your chances of making the playoffs by three percent. So you'd go from twenty four percent chance of not making the playoffs to twenty seven percent chance of not making the playoffs should you beat the Cardinals. So will there be ground gained, Yes, if you beat the Cardinals. But I say all of that to say, you are in such a bad way right now. You have so much work to do to become consistently competitive, and you also need other teams to start to figure out ways to lose games. You need both of those things to happen for you to begin to have even a remotely solid chance of making the playoffs. So again, I appreciate optimism, and I appreciate all of the context, as far as who's coming back help us on the way, tomorrove On and Savonne, we'll see what he can be, etcetera, etcetera. But the fact is you are so far from absolutely right now that you should not allow that optimism to blind you to things like, well, maybe we shouldn't make a trade because we have a guy like Perry on Winfrey coming back who has not played a game for the Cowboys yet in the regular season. That's my point, and that's my concern, is that when you start saying things like we absolutely can be now, I'm afraid that you're letting that do this for you.
Speaker 1: Maybe he knows something you don't know. He absolutely does.
Speaker 4: He works upstairs, upstairs, upstairs that we work upstairs, but he works upstairs. Maybe he's in content outside of Maybe the front office will always know more than what we know, even though we do the diggny to try to figure out what they know. Diggler, my point being regardless of what he knows, even if they make a blockbuster trade, Even if they make a blockbuster trade, it doesn't change the fact that defeating the Cardinals only improves your playoff chances by three percent to twenty seven percent overall.
Speaker 1: Losing to the Cardinals.
Speaker 4: Drops because you play them before, drops your trade deadline drops to only fifteen percent chance.
Speaker 7: Now you saying this is do or die, Patrick Nils.
Speaker 1: I'm saying this is due.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna say it'sdu or die, but I'm saying it's due. Or you might as well just order your casket lining.
Speaker 3: Oh I'm gonna put that on the T shirt do or might as well.
Speaker 1: Or order your casket lining like what is that velvet? Like? That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So you absolutely have to win this game in every game going forward, but even in doing so, you ever so far from it. Mostly that's interesting. In addition to other teams have to start falling ap hard.
Speaker 3: So you said the fifth you said, there's fifteen percent chance if they lose.
Speaker 4: To the Cardinals, plus th percent chance of making the playoffs. Defeat the Cardinals, you have a twenty seven percent chance of making the playoffs.
Speaker 1: But either one of those zero.
Speaker 4: So there is I hear no bell team. Absolutely, Is this team eliminated from the playoffs? Absolutely not.
Speaker 1: If you tie? That is how you use absolutely what if you tie? I don't like time, I don't like.
Speaker 7: I ain't here no bell, I ain't hear no Bell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, optimism ran supreme.
Speaker 4: But so you're right though, So flipping it to the other side of the point. If you want to use if you want to speak in definities and unequivocations. Then you could say absolutely the Cowboys still have a chance of making the playoffs, but you cannot, you cannot reasonably say the Cowboys are absolutely still a playoff team right now.
Speaker 1: They are far from that. Make the trades plural.
Speaker 2: That's how you solve that whole debate segment is just go get yourself an elite just over and get yourself an elite defensive tackle, and then we're all just so if we get them both.
Speaker 1: That about it.
Speaker 4: First of all, shouts out, shout out to Melvin because even though he's being cheeky, which is what Melvin does, what do you know about weird science? What do you know about the classic legendary cinema? Oh my god, that is weird science. I know what you said, Oh my god, oh my god, because that ushured a lot of young men to adulthood.
Speaker 2: Back to you, cow Yeah, thanks guys, that's gonna do it for us, your talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Thanks for Jordan Against Thursday.
Speaker 1: Public Access tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: It is say it with you Chest Friday, as we've already done throughout the week.
Speaker 3: But hope you'll join us nine a m.
Speaker 2: Central time for Patrick Nosey Walker Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah stand back Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeomans saying so long from Talking Cowboys, We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 10: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.