Speaker 1: It's time now for another episode of Pats from the Past podcast, Max Smith alongside with Paul Rillo, and we were pleased to be joined by number ninety three on your scoreboard, but number one in our hearts, the great Patriot and Pro Football Hall of Famer Richard Seymour. Richard, good to see you kid.
Speaker 2: Good to be seeing, good to be saying.
Speaker 3: Last time I was here, I got a red jacket, and now come from Canton and I got the gold jacket on.
Speaker 1: Now, no disrespect, you look good at red, but that looks really really cool.
Speaker 4: Would this be a good time for me to admit that? In two thousand and one, it was my second or third year here and we took Richard Seymour. I was one of those that wanted David Terrell, is this are you serious?
Speaker 2: Is this a good time to bring that up? You wouldn't be a part of it.
Speaker 1: I was. I was.
Speaker 4: I was like, I need a wide receiver, which I loved Drew.
Speaker 2: I loved me some.
Speaker 4: So I wanted a wide receiver. I wanted a new toy. We get Richard Seymour. He's got a gold jacket sitting right next to me. I think it worked out all right, I give you credit for admitting.
Speaker 1: Twenty something years afterwards, I admitted it.
Speaker 4: He's being you know, I was riches being nice though, because he's well, I've actually told him that, like I'm sure you don't, like a long time ago. Yeah, and he and he would laugh about it. I remember at the golf tournament, you were you were busting I was with Brian Marian that you're busting up. I did. I I wanted no lie, I wanted I wanted a wide receiver. And I was like this defensive lineman from Georgie. He's really good, but like he doesn't have that many sacks, like you know, what do we? And then I was like, oh, okay, I see he was like dominating in his rookie year, playing inside, playing outside, playing all over, doing all these things for Bill worked out all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, story, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: And again, you know, like I said, I got the red jacket, now we've got the gold jacket. And also also a fun fact, so in the inside of the jackets, we're all adult numbers, like exactly what number you were inducted? So my number is number three sixty. So it's a full circle.
Speaker 2: So how cool is yeah? How cool is you know, just.
Speaker 3: Being being drafted here and now coming back full circle, full circle just in terms of coming back and you know, being honored at halftime, it's a tremendous honor.
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 1: So one of the last times I saw you, you were being run ragged, understandably. So it is induction weekend and you're a busy man. Right now that you've got the time or the aspect of time and you can look back on it, did you have a good time?
Speaker 3: Like you said, you know what, it was an extremely fun weekend. I had an opportunity to share that weekend with so many family and friends and former coaches, and it's hard to take it all in because you know, you get so many you know, congratulatories and that sort of thing. But I was able to reflect, and it took me about a week just to rest up from I mean, from parades to sign autograph signings to you know, so it was just a lot going on. But it's an opportunity because that's players you never reflect back and think about what you've done. And you know, it was just a weekend full of you know, everyone there supporting you. So and I'll say this, so I had an opportunity to thank all of my family and friends and they all know what and coaches and they know what. You know, they've meant to me and throughout my career. But tonight I have an opportunity to thank the fans who supported us, who were, you know, fill the streets of Boston for all of those parades and even coming back when we landed off of you know, long flights home. They were there supporting us when when we came back home. So it's an opportunity for me to also think them.
Speaker 2: Richard.
Speaker 1: I don't I wonder how many people said this, because this is what I what really struck me.
Speaker 2: Your speech was terrific.
Speaker 1: You could tell you spent some time writing it, rehearsing it, and it came from the heart. Like a lot of people like is Vermeial still.
Speaker 3: Going, I'm.
Speaker 1: And I don't mean no disrespect, because he's a very passionate guy and you sort of expect that out of him, you know. But I was just I was really struck in the moment that day. It was hot as blazers and everything like that, and I'm going, wow, I did did she hit it out of the park?
Speaker 2: No, thank you? So much. I got a lot of deserved Yeah, no, thank you so much. It meant a lot.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I think I was there because I wanted to deliver because it's such a huge moment and you want to thank so many and you got six minutes to deliver you know, a lifetime of journeys and people that meant so much to you. So but then also you want to do it in a way where it's not dry and boring. So I had to It took some time to really pull it, pull it all together in terms of how I wanted to get it done. But you know, my wife and kids listened to me enough and I gotta know, no, that's not it until I, you know, finally got it together and I knew I was heading down the right path. And you know, I'm just glad that you know, it came across the right way on that Saturday and can So.
Speaker 4: What's different for you now, like you know, after being in because there was a couple of years you were right on the edge and then you know, you get you go through the door. Is life to any different?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I just think now for me, you know, it's an honor where like when they say football heaven, Like it's a it's a place where you my grandkids can always go and look at what I've done in the National Football League, and you know, it's just a place of so much history and respect. And that's I think for me, that's what I respect the most. It's a it's a it's what's the right word, Like it's you know, the prestigious historic, you know, and I'm always I always like to pay respect to the people that came before me. So now you know, to stand alongside a lot of the greats, Like it's just a tremendous honor.
Speaker 1: You know, they in my opinion, my words, not yours, they did, they do run you ragged that induction weekend. They run you ragged. But do you think without having the pressure on you, because I do think there's a lot of pressure on it.
Speaker 2: You talked about it.
Speaker 1: You wanted to do a nice job. You know that meant something, got your legacy right right when they invite you next year or the do you want to go and like experience what it's like to just sort of, oh Tip, you want to play, Oh Tip, you want to play you.
Speaker 2: Know thirty six today?
Speaker 1: You know, like Tip's there he's America's guest. He's there every single year. You know.
Speaker 2: Well it's funny.
Speaker 3: So we were at some lunch and and I hadn't gave him my speech, but Tip is in and he's just talking to me, relaxed because he don't have, you know, the pressures of you know, that Saturday coming, and I'm just kind of I'm talking to him, but I'm kind of thinking about, well, no, I.
Speaker 2: Should say this versus Dad.
Speaker 3: So like I could just tell all the pressure was off of him and for me, you know, he's just got a lot, a lot of moving parts and a lot going on. But like I said, I look forward to going and enjoying everyone else's party on that Saturday and what you know. So I just think, you know, personally, you know, it's a tremendous honor, and you know, I'm glad to be have this a red and a gold jacket.
Speaker 1: The one thing that Tipp has said, sorry, Paul, just one thing. The one thing that Tipp has said. And I think this seems like it's new, and I thought that this was cool. Is that somehow, some way, that there's some unwritten rule that the guys who weren't inducted, but are there. They make it a point to go to everybody's party, right, whether they're there for five minutes or an hour. Were But like I saw Terrell Davis there, you know, I saw I saw a bunch of guys that I'd say, well, I'm surprised that they were. I mean, he's a Georgia guy, so maybe a bad example, but that there were.
Speaker 3: Guysrell Owens, he came to the party.
Speaker 2: I't know.
Speaker 1: But and somebody said, no, that's their responsibility. It's their responsibility to go and welcome these guys like you know what you are in the fraternity right and welcome and it's a way of that sort of unique groups. And I thought that was really cool, Richard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it is, well, and it's not only cool for us, but even also think about your family when because EMMITTT. Smith came to our party on Friday night, Like a lot of my family grew up watching Emmitt and for him to come in he had his gold jacket on, you know, Warren Sapp, you know, Charles Woodson, like all of these guys coming in. For your family to see these guys and your granddad and or you know, whoever is there to also experience what that's like and getting the autographed and taking pictures. You know, it's just a really special weekend. And what I will say is all of the guys that are there, the other Hall of Famers, they do a really good job of welcoming in the new class and making you feel like you belong with them. And I think that's really the special cool part. And they're asking you your opinions on you know, what's next, and you haven't Mike, Mike Singletary talk to you about YadA YadA, you know. So it's just a really special, cool, unique moment, and you know, I'm excited to get the ring here tonight.
Speaker 4: Is there is there a players you know, you just ran off a whole bunch of names and you said, how you really, you know, you respected those that came before you. Is there a guy who or some players that made you sort of step back and say that's Mike Singletary. I mean, no, well I got it kind of like stops in your tracks, the way Matt and I would be just you know, with all of you guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, Well, we were sitting in like they do a luncheon where it's no media no one's in there. It's just the Hall of Famers. I think it's the Raynichki luncheon. And we're sitting there and he's a little older now, but Jim Brown came in. You know, he was in a wheelchair, but he sat at the table and even the respect that he garnered from the other Hall of Famers that were there, And for me also personally, you know, being a defensive lineman when you're there with obviously Tip, you're there with Lawrence Taylor. You know, obviously he's passing going. But you know, you think about Reggie White, what he meant, like all of these guys are just you know, phenomenal world class players and you know, just to sit and you know, share stories, you know, with a lot of those guys. I mean, it's just, you know, it's a lifetime achievement award.
Speaker 1: Honestly, we're sitting you're talking with Richard Seymour and our Pats from the Past podcast, and it seems like maybe that that aura or that euphoria, and it certainly helped by the fact that you're being honored, you know, as you're taping this tonight at halftime of the Bear's game, it's still sort of fresh. Is that fair to say that feeling it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, here's the other part. Like, I mean, we all know how hard it is to get into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But then when you think about it, you know a lot of guys get in. There's sixty seventy, you know, some eighty year old you know, and plus. But you know, the blessing in it for me is I get to have this gold jacket and you know, absolutely forty two years old and still you know, my kids they understand what it means and you know, so I just think that's the that's the special part about it is I get to experience and live with it, and you know, it's no different than like when I was younger. You know, I had a wife and kids, but they were also able to experience my playing days. So even that they're older, like they've seen it. They've been there. They were on the field pre game or halftime or you know whatever. So it's not like I have to tell them about what their dad used to do or whatever. You know, not that you it's a big part of who you are now, but you know, for them to experience it themselves, I think you know, it's an everlasting memory.
Speaker 4: We talk about some of those being young enough to enjoy it. Who are some of the guys, you know, guess when a lot of titles won a lot of games around here, Who are some of those guys that you think should be with you or you might be knocking on that door?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, well, I mean, you know, obviously ties in, right, you know, but you know, obviously Randy's in, you know he's there. But you think about Brady, Obviously he's going to get in whenever he's maybe he's done, maybe not after the.
Speaker 2: Game last week, I see you get.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'll join the committee and see if I can make a push.
Speaker 3: Right right, right, Well, you know, obviously Gronk he's going in as well. I think Vince deserves to get in. I think Rodney, you know, Harrison deserves to get in. You know, it's a lot of guys that you know, I play with that are you know, just phenomenal players. And here's the other part. I think you need to ask the voters who who should get in? I mean, because at the end of the day, you know, you really don't exactly know what is all of the criteria.
Speaker 1: That's what Bill says, you know, let me know what the criteria is. I'll tell you know, because I'll tell you that Rodney Harrison deserves to be in the Pro football right. No, certainly, but you tell me what the criteria is. And I think that's the difficult thing. That Paul might see one thing one way and Richard might see something another way, and that might and then there's no consensus, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, no, yeah, you know, I'm glad I don't have the job and the duty, and I'm glad I'm on the other side. But it's a lot of guys that certainly deserves it, and I'll be I'll be sitting on that stage and I'll be at their parties when they get in.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Richard. So the last time I saw you, and it's out now and so everybody had a chance to see it. You were at r kk's wedding Friday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how was that incredible incredible weekend?
Speaker 3: You know, obviously, me and my wife Tanya, we went up and uh, you know, got a chance to support mister Kraft and and his numptials, and uh, I had a lot of champagne that weekend. But you know, like I said, I just think that I'm Beyonce. The people that were there, and what's most importantly for me is, you know, I want to support someone that's happy in terms of doing what you know, they want to do in their life. And so, you know, obviously I was honored, you know, we were honored to be there that weekend.
Speaker 2: But you know, to share that experience with you know, so.
Speaker 3: Many close friends and you know a lot of damn ansen and laughter and a lot of champagne that night.
Speaker 1: For sure, the picture that made its way out into most of all of the media and everything like that, and I had a chance to see it because I was working there, Paul, I know, but to see all of the guys that were there, and whether you've got a chance to spend five minutes with Randy or five minutes with Tom or ten minutes with Gerrod, how cool was it? At least for one night, you guys were kind of all under the same roof. They could talk about the old times. That must have been awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it was a phenomenal weekend.
Speaker 3: And like I said, until your point, you know, we don't have you know, because everyone's kind of off doing what it is that they're doing.
Speaker 1: Everybody's busy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's busy.
Speaker 3: But so when we can all get together for a great, you know, phenomenal weekend in terms of supporting mister Kraft and like I said, I mean from entertainment to food and music. Rkak can throw apart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you still, uh, you know, keep track of the game now, you know you watch you watch this team or do you watch the league in general?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I watch a lot of football, you know, because I'm I'm a fan of the sport, and but I think sometimes I I'm not super close watch Sometimes if I can't watch, I'll you know, keep up with the scores and just kind of keep up with, you know, where everyone is. But certainly I watch the games as they get closer towards the playoffs and just kind of what's going on. So you can't ask me who the left guard is or the Patriots right now.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be in the TA no.
Speaker 1: But but do you sit there and think to yourself, I don't know what I would do if I'm coming in on the quarterback. I'm not sure i'd know what to do to try to avoid a penalty. That must make you crazy when you see so many of these instances.
Speaker 3: Well, again, just just as we spoke, as long as the riffs and I guess the competition committee are clear in terms of the tensions, then we can play. Well, if we can't hit the quarterbacks, then we'll just say, hey, well guys, you know what, just if you got two hands on them and we you know, I don't know, So I just think that it needs to be clear because you can't go high, you can't go low, you can't put your weight on them. Like so, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's like it's watching more than he says.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, to Matt's point, I don't know what you guys are supposed to do with some of the calls a couple of weeks ago, and you know that's back to back games, one of them involving Tom but then the one on the Monday night game with Chris Jones. I don't know how you guys are supposed to do your job.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, so, well, again, like I said, just wrap them up and don't take them down, and that may be okay. Like I honestly think, you know, as long as it's fair across the board, like we understand that, you know, the competition committee is just saying, hey, you know, the quarterbacks are basically off limits to touch, and they got a red jacket in I'm in red jersey in practice, but it's sort of the same, you know, mantra going into a lot of the games too, So you know, I feel I feel for the guys.
Speaker 1: Now, last question for me as we're taping this again, it's the night that the organization is gonna allow you to be honored in front of your fans. You touched them a little bit ago. What does that mean to you To be able to, you know, say thank you and to let them show you how appreciative they are of what you did. That's got to be pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, well, personally, I'll say this, they've supported me throughout my career. Rather it's traveling to games and Super Bowls and you know, h So from that standpoint, it's an opportunity to let them know how they inspired me to want to always put the best product out on the field and you know, to you know, come back again now because I remember when I got the red jacket. You know, the crowd went wild and started yelling defense from the end zone and then you know it kind of got cru up. So you know, that was pretty special, and so tonight, you know, it'll be another opportunity where you know, I'll just.
Speaker 2: Be in the moment.
Speaker 3: I mean, I have a few words prepared, but sometimes I'll go a little bit off strip and just you know, so we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Where it goes.
Speaker 3: But but again for me, it's it's just an opportunity to say, you know, thank you for you know, inspiring me and my teammates to hang those banners.
Speaker 2: That's in the raptors now.
Speaker 1: Awesome, awesome, and Richard have a great time.
Speaker 2: No, thank you. I will greatly appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Indeed, thank you so much our guest Richard Seymour on this episode of Pats.
Speaker 2: From the Past. Thank you for downloading this podcast. Subscribe on Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you listen. Like the show, Please rate and review us.
Speaker 3: Listener comments and ratings help keep us high in the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us.
Speaker 1: Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.