Speaker 1: It's nine og one ong with Jenny Garth and Tory Spelling. Well, hello, sir, hi, how are you okay? Thank you for joining our little podcast. Very very nice of you.
Speaker 2: I listened to a couple of episodes. They're fun.
Speaker 1: Oh these years later. Have you ever done the other OMG? No, if there's no other OMG? Have you ever done the other nine oh two to one oh podcast with like the producers? Oh, well then you're fresh.
Speaker 3: No, I've actually this is the first podcast I've ever said I've ever said yes to.
Speaker 1: Oh. I feel very honored. We had OMG, feel very honored. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Well, usually I get that they're like horror ones that want to talk to me, and I always say that.
Speaker 1: Oh god, well we will, it'll be painless, probably aciate. Well, how long has it been since we saw each other in the flesh? That would be like twenty.
Speaker 2: Nine years maybe really, I think.
Speaker 1: So twenty nine years ago. Yeah, because you came in, came swooping in. I did you played Jeff?
Speaker 2: I played Jeff Stockman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, in four episodes during season eight. So yes, you just came out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: Literally, I came out of nowhere when everyone in the cast was making really bad relationship choices, and.
Speaker 1: You had your eyes set on Cale.
Speaker 2: Kelly, I did right away. Yeah, we worked together.
Speaker 1: You were also manipulated into liking her because the Valerie told you that she liked you, and she likes Valerie was up to her evil ways.
Speaker 3: I mean, Valerie was definitely played a part, but I sort of felt like Jeff was pretty Valerie just sort of facilitated the union.
Speaker 2: I feel like Jeff was was pretty pretty smitten pretty early.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, until he got a.
Speaker 3: New I think he still was smitten, and I just think he was you know Kelly. I think Kelly dogged him well.
Speaker 1: Kelly still loved Brandon though it was right right after he cheated on her. I know everybody could see that was watching that you were rebound.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Oh my name was was Stockman too? Just a stock boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so funny. We looked him up. This is the stock image of a boyfriend. A boyfriend should be A rebound boyfriend should be, right. What did did you remember? Fondness of your.
Speaker 3: Time on our Yeah yeah, I mean, you know, we almost everything. I almost all of my Workman was with you. I worked a little bit.
Speaker 2: It was like a day Gang with a Gang yep, yeah, but really.
Speaker 3: Like ninety percent of it was with you. You were super easy, super professional. I was a little nervous. I was like, I think it was I mean I had done stuff, but it was sort of the highest profile thing I had more than one episode only.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I.
Speaker 3: Had a I had I did it. I'd Dine a series that got canceled halfway through the airing of the pilot. I mean literally they almost yanked it off.
Speaker 2: The air before the hour was over.
Speaker 3: Fun and that done some other stuff, but no, it was kind of a big job. My friends were all excited, and I had gone in for the show a lot. I'm probably gone into a half dozen times.
Speaker 1: It must have been frustrating for actors because they there wasn't the hugest talent pool back in the nineties. You know, it's it's so.
Speaker 2: Weird because there seemed like there wasn't a huge.
Speaker 3: Talent pool and there was way less jobs, just way less jobs. But I do think the by and large, actors are better, not necessarily that they're they're better, but there are more good actors now than.
Speaker 2: They're used to be. There's a lot of a lot of people out there.
Speaker 1: They're you know, really good and all vuying for jobs, you know, they're all out there.
Speaker 3: One Yeah, though, I do think it's I do you know, I do think that the whole no longer being in the rooms like we used to be.
Speaker 2: I couldn't have done it. I couldn't have I.
Speaker 3: Couldn't be an actor in today's day, like starting out not knowing anyone, not knowing your peers, not knowing that you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's such an isolated feeling. You never hear anything back. You left to just be like, well, was I did? I was I terrible? Did they even watching? I don't even know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I know a couple of you know, young actors who don't really have a sense of how good they are or what that they're actually making progress because they haven't really start started booking yet. But they're really good, Like I know, they're good, and and if they if they had like face to face stuff they have it, they might have a sense of it.
Speaker 2: But right now they're just sort of floating off.
Speaker 1: And how do you how do you find these people?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I coach actors occasionally, you do, Yeah, mostly.
Speaker 1: Where are you located? You're still I'm in Hollywood, Hollyweird, Okay, perfect, Hollyweird, and your coach. You coach actors sometimes like.
Speaker 2: For four auditions, sometimes on sometimes on set, mostly through referrals.
Speaker 3: Uh, I don't do a ton of them because I'm kind of expensive.
Speaker 1: I like that you know your worth.
Speaker 3: I don't have a ton of them, but I but I keep busy with it, and I really enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Michael. It's always good to know you're right. Oh, I mean yeah, if you've worked with Michael, now we know you're paying a lot.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: You could get someone for cheaper, just saying I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I recently had someone contact me and if you came in and I was like, wait a minute, we know each other, and she had we had played husband and wife something.
Speaker 1: That's weird because you've done a mke billion roles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of guests, a lot.
Speaker 1: Of guest stars, a lot of stuff with Star Trek. Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I did. That's the Star World mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Fan base is pretty intense. You get recognized from that or were you in like crazy because I.
Speaker 3: Was in a heavy makeup, I get I got recognized, you know. Weirdly, like depending on where I am, I mean, I get recognized.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know. I don't know what this is.
Speaker 3: You know, I spend a time in Paris, and I don't know if it's that people don't recognize me as much in LA or just just starts so used to seeing people that have been on TV that there they don't say anything.
Speaker 2: But I have more people approach me or saying I.
Speaker 3: Saw you on suits, I saw you on my rest place in Paris than I do in in LA.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. Yeah, the French were they were very devoted fans. I think in LA it's like this will happen to me too, Like I'll see somebody that I'm sure as an actor, like you can tell and but you just can't place like what yeah, because there's so much programming now. Yeah, I don't know how we're supposed to recognize anyone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And you know, like and I mean, I'm sure people recognize you all the time, and like you don't.
Speaker 2: Want to necessarily like they're like, how do I know you? How do I know you? Like you know, like they just like they're just like that's the.
Speaker 1: Best part when they because I was just in France, and this happened to me? How do I know you? And you're literally like you're midbite or you're walking by them on the street and they expect you to stand there and and just I don't know what am I supposed to say? I'm supposed to go through my resume and see which one you think it was? Or am I supposed to let you roll through? Was it this? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Do you want me to do you want to hear another one?
Speaker 1: Do you want me to just tell you what it probably is?
Speaker 3: Probably that's and I do think probably it's the same for you as me. It's like the demographic of the person asking or the approaching narrows down what they've what they've seen.
Speaker 1: You, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Did you? Okay? So you you mentioned Melrose Place? You were on Melrose Place before you were cast on nine or.
Speaker 3: Like my my very it was? I think it might have been my second job.
Speaker 2: Ever?
Speaker 1: What was your role? What'd you do?
Speaker 2: I played? I don't know. I just I remember the lines more than anything else.
Speaker 1: What are the lines?
Speaker 3: You like?
Speaker 2: Hey, sorry you can't join us this weekend? Man?
Speaker 3: Seeing me drinks on the veranda and shrimp cocktails or something. It was just I was just a doctor, another doctor, but I was like it was one scene.
Speaker 2: With him and.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I cant remember name the redhead who went on to Desperate Housewives and all that, Marcia.
Speaker 2: Marsha Cross, marsh Cross.
Speaker 1: That's funny. I didn't know that you had been on on that show and.
Speaker 2: I did that. I actually did the pilot of the remake of Melroe's Cloves pilot. They didn't. They did at remake up. David Guggenheim directed it. Wait when fifteen years ago?
Speaker 1: Wow, I would have thought that would have been very recent.
Speaker 2: But no, yeah it did. I don't think it did. I don't think it did went anywhere.
Speaker 1: So you obviously met Aaron Spelling and fell into the to the routine, like the mixing bowl of actors that always kind of kept popping up on his shows.
Speaker 2: I guess. So, yeah, was.
Speaker 1: It weird to join our show because we were already in the eighth scenes.
Speaker 2: It wasn't. Yeah, it was. I mean, you know, you learn.
Speaker 3: I think there's the learning curve on sets in Hollywood is so fast, like you don't know what's going on, and then you get you get a sense pretty quickly of like what you can ask for and what you can ask for and you know what I mean, like and the pecking order on sets and blah blah blah and yeah. So so you know, guest stars come and go. You kind of you do your job, You sort of chat with the director a little bit with the lead actors that they want to, you know, But when you come in for a few episodes, it's a little different because you're for a minute, a part of the group, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And it was really fun.
Speaker 1: I remember watching and being like, wait, Kelly's taking him to the birthday party or whatever it was. I didn't remember anybody, he doesn't know the rest of the gang, and she's not even dating him, and now she's like flaunting him in front of Brandon. This is so weird.
Speaker 3: There was a lot, I mean, I mean, I went back and watched something again too, and I had forgotten how often we kissed.
Speaker 2: I thought, I thought maybe we just kissed once.
Speaker 3: But I was pleasantly surprised that we kissed most local times and in front of Brandon one time.
Speaker 1: Of Brandon, Yeah you got some knoheys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we were we It was.
Speaker 1: Did you know that you were gonna that was your character and that you were going to have this little tryst with Kelly? That was the plan.
Speaker 2: I knew that I was not going to be around for very long.
Speaker 1: You were just a little.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: They always have to have that that one. Like they the couple that everyone wants together, broke up and then they have to go their separate ways to remember how much they love each other, and then they come back together.
Speaker 3: What I gotta say, like watching the episodes, he never actually apologizes to Kelly, right, you never really apologize.
Speaker 2: He's woe is me and and and but if you really listen to it, he's sort of like I made a mistake. Yeah, I made a mistake. You know.
Speaker 3: It's like he never like he never like falls on his sword, and which was surprising.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, what would you have liked him to do? Like what if you wrote it? If you would didn't wow.
Speaker 2: At least at the very end, go, look, I am I am sorry.
Speaker 1: He never I think maybe he said sorry, maybe maybe maybe it was off camera. No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: Uh. There was a lot of convincing. There was a lot of convincing. I thought he was.
Speaker 1: Very like brandony about it. Yeah, like, yeah, I didn't do anything. I mean, it probably wasn't the best decision.
Speaker 2: But I made a mistake. What are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that's so funny. I maybe that's where in life I kind of learned that you don't have to you know, like, you don't expect a big apology from somebody, even somebody that you.
Speaker 2: Can't quite say it right, But that doesn't mean they don't mean it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So let's talk about Okay, I know we talked about the I want to know how long in hair makeup you were for your Sci Fi roles? So, like, what's the longest day I ever satin hair to get that stuff done?
Speaker 3: The first one I ever did was my first job in TV. Was it was on the Next Generation and I played a borg and it was I had one scene and it was four and a half hours to get in to make up.
Speaker 2: Four and a half hours just with them gluing you know, colors, And.
Speaker 1: Did you get claustrophobic.
Speaker 2: It's weird. No, it's weird. It's weird.
Speaker 3: I mean I had never done any prosthetics. No, No, it was, I mean I was. It was my first job so of course I went over the paid.
Speaker 2: Way too much.
Speaker 3: I was so nervous, you know, I'm glad I had four and a half half hours to work on my one scene and then I was, you know, panicked when they shot it. But I do remember that when I shot I think the second one, when I was on Deep Space nine, I played a Kardashian.
Speaker 2: Different than the Jewels.
Speaker 1: Different. Wait, there's a different Kardashian.
Speaker 3: There's a Kardashian race on Star Trek Strap Star Trek, which is very strange.
Speaker 1: Oh, like a whole race of people that yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, and I when when I the first morning of that, you know, because the makeup takes so long, they shoot you up for like seventeen hour days. So on Monday morning, I went in at two am, and you know, and by later that day essentially the North Quake earthquake hit, North Earthquake hit, and we were all in this rickety you know, makeup building on Paramount on the Paramount lot, and it starts swaying and things start falling off, and then the lights go out and everybody was panicked, and we.
Speaker 2: Go out and like the whole city is shut down.
Speaker 1: Were you dressed like a Kardashian.
Speaker 3: I was, I had like stuff glued to my face, and it's like fire in the morning or something. I've been three hours of prosthetics put on and then they you know, they don't no one knows what's going on. No one even knows where the exactly where the epicenter is at first, because.
Speaker 1: There was no communication.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, so we had to stay at Paramount. I remember.
Speaker 3: I remember sitting in the dark for hours while they decided whether or not they were going to resume production for the day.
Speaker 2: And we ended up not ended up.
Speaker 3: Sitting its home, but but yeah, it was a very strange, very strange place to be when the earthquake hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that was early in the morning and you were already at work.
Speaker 2: I was hours into work by then.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So do you think that the industry has changed? Like you said before, there's just so many actors, there's so many platforms too. But do you feel like actors are getting like I feel it. I don't know. It feels like, yes, there are more rules, but does that equate more work for an actor like you?
Speaker 3: No, it hasn't, I mean for to me it Yeah, no, I mean, you know, I passed up a bunch of stuff when I was younger that might have, you know, foolishly because my agents were like that, you don't want to be on CBS.
Speaker 2: People only watch NBC or whatever, like just the crazies.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they would say CBS is for old people or something.
Speaker 2: The decisions I was, you know, we were making.
Speaker 3: Back then were so dumb career wise because because we were over overthinking everything. But you know, I mean, I do think we'd make It's not just actors. I think it's the whole industry. People make less for the same work, is what I think happens. I think it happens to writers as much as it does to actors. And I think it you know, everybody talks about how hard it is when you get you know, to find work when you get older and blah blah, and of course there's less roles, and that happens to actors, like I think it happens to everybody in the business industry. You know, I imagine being a cosmic because every time you come off a show casting director, you have to apply for another show, and you know, you do, you build your resume, which think makes you feel like you've got your resume, But then somebody comes in and somebody's old assistant who's hungrier is going to work for half the amount, and they know the same people because you trained them.
Speaker 2: And you know what I mean, Like, it's it's.
Speaker 1: Hard to cut throat business rights.
Speaker 2: I just think any any business that you have to sort of like reapply every time, if everyby every time, the job ends gets.
Speaker 3: Harder as you get older. I think it's it's a it's tough in our business for pe.
Speaker 1: Okay, tell me about when you played Ted Bundy, because okay, that is a role, very memorable character to portray. Yeah, is it weird for you to be praised for playing an infamous killer.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's one of the things that I often get asked to do podcasts for. And the truth is, I'm not a big I'm not a big serial killer guy.
Speaker 2: I wanted to play the role. The role was really fun to play.
Speaker 3: Sure, I will tell you a story, but let me put a pin in it and I will tell you later. But when I when I auditioned for nine or two and zero, but when I you know, Ted Bundy, they weren't even gonna see me or I didn't even know it was on the radar and I was at someone's house playing scrabble and a girl walked in and was like, we can't find Ted Bundy.
Speaker 2: You're perfect for Ted Bundy.
Speaker 3: I'm the casting assistant on the thing, and they called me and I booked it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, JUSTI you must have had some kind of effect on her in your scrabble outfit exactly and your whole vibe.
Speaker 2: Well, my first word was was like, murder, that's funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that was fun We shot for five weeks. It was the first thing I'd ever done and that I was in every scene essentially.
Speaker 1: Wait what year was this two.
Speaker 3: Thousand and four? I think or five maybe? Yeah, And it did well. They flew me out to.
Speaker 2: You know, it did well.
Speaker 3: The movie did well, and it helped me and it was sort of up up until that point, I had never really played bad guys, and it opened up that casting to me and then for me a minute, that's all I did.
Speaker 2: You know. It's just so funny how you get like you go.
Speaker 3: Back and forth with what they see you as this and they're like, oh, you can do this, well it and I guess you can't do that because you can do this.
Speaker 1: Like You're like, no, but I'm looking at you and I'm thinking you could be you could play so many different characters. You have just still have just a great look.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I could just see you cast as a million different characters. But did you not want to be stereotyped as the bad guy?
Speaker 2: No, don't I like playing the bad guy? Like I like you. I like playing It's fun.
Speaker 3: It's fun, I you know, I like, I like the further from me, the more fun it is. So I like, I've always enjoyed doing accents and and just stuff that that you know, I get a play is the most fun. And I think as you get older, you you and you're still around, you realize that it is so much. I mean, something that you guys did so well back then that I didn't think I was as like I've watched the episodes and I think, I I'm doing my best, but but there's something you guys did that I that is not easy to do, which is like keep it, don't go too deep because it doesn't quite work, Like, don't like lay it all out on the line, like just be present and charming and truthful, and it's you know that sounds easy. That's really hard, I think, I mean, it's really hard for most actors, Like I don't think Robert DeNiro could do what you guys did.
Speaker 1: Wait a second, somebody lift that quote.
Speaker 2: Please, he does something, you know what I mean? Like Roberts you know what I mean. He does what he does amazingly, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: But I don't know that Robert de Niro, like you guys were really good at keeping it light and present when it needed to be, and I thought it was it was.
Speaker 2: I think it's a real skill.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because it felt like such an intimate experience, even though there's a ton of people on set and all these different players play the role that they play in the making of the show, whether it's craft, service or costume or makeup or whatever. But there's when you are on the set and you're like practicing the scene and then it's the cameras rolling. Remember when the camera used to roll. The cameras rolling and there's one camera. Yeah, and there's just that intimacy between the camera and the characters. That's so it is so calm m. It's a really like safe. It feels like a really safe place. I think that we had that environment like with the core cast, like we all felt very comfortable in that space. Everything else that was hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think you also, you know, you learn like you can go to acting class forever, and I think, like, I mean, I think acting class is a good thing.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 3: You learned so much faster how to be good on set than you ever could in acting class. It it, you know, and back then it was like, remember there was one camera, you'd get more takes, but the more takes was great because you get direction, and you know, like they did less setups and more takes of what they did do and uh, and you just you know, I remember like my first get, my first guest star was on NYPD Blue and they had me in a audition a bunch of times and the final time I was very green and very new. And the final time I went in there was nobody else in the in the in the waiting room, and I said that the big old scene, like where is everybody? And they said, it's just you. They just want to make sure you can do it. And I went up and auditioned and I booked the part. And then when when when we shot the first scene we shot the master, I put on a jacket and walk out, and then we shoot my clothes up in the and the scripts over when it comes over, says okay, so you put your arm in the in the you put your your arm in the sleeve of the jacket on this line.
Speaker 2: So and I was like, what what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: I didn't you know, like that's you know, you learn Oh I got to do it the way I did it, like, you know, it had never even crossed my mind that you had to match until then.
Speaker 1: You know, that's such a good ext ample of on the job training because I remember being like, oh, gosh, okay, that is very hard to master that skill, too, because when you're in your head thinking like when the fuck am I supposed to put my sleeve on.
Speaker 3: Yep, exactly exactly, Okay, to sip on this line or or it's one or the other, and then you learn.
Speaker 2: Then you learned the next step, which is like it's one or the other.
Speaker 3: So if they use that take, it doesn't really matter when you sip on this take because they can't use both, you know, Like, so you're like this one, I have to match that one.
Speaker 1: I'm just tell me when to drink, right, Well, It's nice to talk to you. You make me miss talking actor talk. I do. I gave that up for lent Oh Good a long time ago. But I'm really happy to see you and reconnect and yeah, i'd hire you.
Speaker 2: Thanks appreciate it. I do have a weird story about auditioning for nine or two and another.
Speaker 1: If you want me to tell you, tell me tell me that people want to hear this.
Speaker 2: So I had gone in a few times.
Speaker 3: There was a role which I think probably was you guys, probably just went through of a frat guy, a frat guy given a speech, and I I thought I was.
Speaker 1: Going to get that it was to be the frat guy.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a frat guy. I didn't get the frat guy. And then I came in for this this this role Jeff's dockman, and that I thought I had a great audition. I got home, got a call from my agent saying they liked you. They want to see you back, but they want you to not look like you just rolled out of bed, and they want you to wear.
Speaker 1: Socks hold on. So when you came in the first time, you didn't even look in the mirror. You just came in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just slapped myself to get, you know, put myself together. And the weird thing though, the only the reason why I remember that so well is because I was wearing socks. I did look like I had just rolled out of bed, but I was. I actually did have socks on.
Speaker 1: Okay. Were they no shows or were they like athletics?
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 3: I think they were ra I just think they I don't know, I just think they were will you.
Speaker 1: Die on this sword? I did have socks on.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 3: That's what I said. Yeah, I said, I said an angry memo. But then it went well and I got booked and and I was really excited.
Speaker 1: It was really fun and there we were kissing in front of ksing Well. I'm just it's so fun to connect with you again. And if you've seen me around town, which you probably won't cause I don't leave my house, but sitting around town, stop me. Let's that's actor talk.
Speaker 2: Someone that was great, sounds great. It's really nice, really nice to chat with Jenny
Speaker 1: Be Well