Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind. This is Rob Lamb and ooh. Today we're going to revisit nineteen sixty four's mathra Versus Godzilla. This episode originally published five twenty three, twenty twenty five. It is a whole lot of fun. Let's have it.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey you welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb and this is Joe McCormick.
Speaker 3: And today on Weird House Cinema, we are going to be talking about the nineteen sixty four giant monster movie mathra Versus Godzilla, directed by Ishiro Honda.
Speaker 1: This is our third Godzilla movie, following nineteen seventy one's Godzilla versus Hetera and nineteen sixty nine's All Monsters Attack. That's films eleven and ten, respectively. This is also our third issue a Honda film. He directed this All Monsters Attack and a nineteen sixty nine film titled Atragon we've talked about on the show before. That is a flying submarine and another Kaiju creature. He is. He is one of only a handful of directors that we have featured on three or more weird house cinema selections.
Speaker 3: You know, we are really doing the Godzilla films in a strange order, and by that I mean we're working first of all, backwards through time. But also we started with what are widely seen as some of the weirdest, most divergent films in the Showa era Godzilla catalog. So the first one we did, like you said, was Godzilla versus Hetera. That's from nineteen seventy one. That was indeed the eleventh film in the Godzilla cannon, and that one was a psychedelic ecological doom trip in which Godzilla is summoned to defend Japan from a toxic sludge mone monster that powers up by huffing pollution out of factory smokestacks. A lot of Godzilla fans regard Hetera as one of the worst films in the series. I do not share that opinion. I like it a lot more than some of the more mainstream monster slams in the middle of the original run. I think it's weirdness actually kind of makes it more unique, really makes it stand out. But I will agree, yes, it is one of the most unusual Godzilla films.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, at the end of the day, if you're watching a Godzilla movie or any Kaiji movie, it's like you're in a good place. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we did that one, and then the next one we covered was based on a listener suggestion that was All Monsters Attack from sixty nine. This was the tenth Godzilla film, as you said, and once again this one was a departure from the established format at this time because while the main series, starting from pretty early, had been a specially popular with kids, I think All Monsters Attack was the first Godzilla movie that you could really say was explicitly just made for children, and it was just a kid's movie. The main character is a lonely little boy whose parents are always busy working, and so he sort of has Godzilla and the previously introduced baby Zilla creature known as Manila. Like Mini Godzilla as imaginary friends. All Monsters Attack was also a very budget conscious film, making extensive use of archival footage from previous Godzilla movies, recycling fights and inserting them in creative ways into this framing narrative about the little boy who imagines the adventures of Godzilla and Manila. This one was also unusual for the series because within this frame narrative, it was understood that Godzilla and the other monsters are basically fictional beings. So they're not being portrayed as acting within the real universe of the movie, but they are being dreamed about or imagined about by the main character. So in Almoster's Attack, they are creatures of the imagination, and the main point of the story was about what they mean to the children who love them. There's actually a monologue. I don't know if you remember this, Rob there's like a monologue at the end of the movie that explicitly makes the case that the Kaiju are for children what the gods are for adults.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that one was very interesting in that in many ways, you could see it as a lesser Godzilla film because it is clearly, you know, aimed at children, and it has a has a mini Godzilla and so forth. But yeah, it does like chew a little bit on the meaning of a Kaiju film. So I really did appreciate that one as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So those were number eleven and then number ten, and now we're doing a big hopscotch down the chronology ladder to number four. Mathra versus Godzilla was the fourth film in the Godzilla franchise, and it represents the third time that Godzilla would face off against another giant monster in battle, the first time a Godzilla movie would include a monster that I think you should regard as explicitly good or as a protector of humans against a greater threat. This is a role Godzilla would himself usually take in later films, but here the protector is not Godzilla but rather his antagonist Mathra.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the title is Mathra versus Godzilla, which kind of does imply that Mathra has top billing. We'll get into that a little bit. But also it is like Mathra against Godzilla. Mathra is a force in opposition to Godzilla, And yeah, Mathra is absolutely good. Mathra is a protector. It's not one of these like though the enemy of my enemy monster is my friend monster. No, like Mathra is a divine being. The Mathra is the creature of the gods.
Speaker 3: But also, Mathra is not cute and friendly and cuddly the way that say Manila is right, Mathra is a somewhat frightening being, but frightening to protect us, to you know, frightening on the side of good.
Speaker 1: But she also looks very soft, like, yeah, she's kind of furree. So I mean there is a very nice touch the fur vibe with Mathra as well.
Speaker 3: I didn't think about the furriness. You are right there, you know, more texturally pleasing than most of the monsters in the Godzilla series, which are often quite spiny and scaly looking. But also Mathra Versus Godzilla is the last film of the original Toho run to make Godzilla a bad guy. You could argue that Godzilla is more or less the villain, or, if not a morally culpable villain, at least a threatening and destructive force to humans in the first four movies, So I think maybe we should run through those really quick to figure out how we get to Mathra Versus Godzilla. So you've got the original Godzilla in nineteen fifty four. This, as we've talked about in the past, is a dark, haunting, somber tale about a monster created by nuclear weapons testing, which rises up out of the sea and attacks Japan. The first movie here was inspired in part by some events in the real world. You can obviously think about the events of World War two and the atomic bombing of Japan, but then also there were more recent events that I've read were a major influence on the original Godzilla. One of these was the so called Lucky Dragon five incident, which happened earlier the year Godzilla was released. This was when the crew of a Japanese tuna fishing boat called the Lucky Dragon five were exposed to high levels of radiation as a result of the Castle Bravo hydrogen bomb test at Bikini Atole. And you can see the influence of the anxiety caused by this event in the way the movie articulates anti nuclear and anti militarist themes. A lot of Godzilla fans trained on the silly, sometimes themeless monster suit wrestling matches that you would get in later movies, I think will be quite shocked by the dark and serious tone of the first movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the original Godzilla black and white. Godzilla is an absolute destroyer and a thing that arises out of humanity's atomic age sins.
Speaker 3: Really Yeah. Now, this first movie was directed by Ishiro Honda, the same as the director of mathra Versus Godzilla, So it's not a question of like totally different creative inputs. We have the same main creative force behind these two movies. But we can talk about reasons they might be different across time. But the first movie was by Honda and it was a huge hit for Toho. So in this movie, Godzilla is not at I don't know if it makes sense to call him a villain, but he certainly has I think he's pretty close to a villain in the first movie. Certainly a destructive force of nature or a destructive force of nature having been twisted by human sins and technology.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's the way to look at it. Like, Yeah, it's not like he has much of a persona beyond that. I mean, he is like some sort of dark anti god that has been summoned by human technology and human advancement.
Speaker 3: Not here to help yea. Yeah. Then after that, so that's fifty four. Then after that you've got Godzilla raids again in nineteen fifty five. This was a fast follow up movie to capitalize on the success of the original Godzilla. This one not directed by Ishi ro Honda but by Modeyoshi Oda. Mostly gone in this one are the anti war, anti nuclear themes. I haven't actually seen this movie, but from what I've read it, it's described as kind of a fast paced adventure where Godzilla ends up fighting another giant monster. I believe based on an ankylosaur model. It's like a quadrupedal dinosaur covered in spines called anguiras. Worth noting here that the Godzilla of this movie was not supposed to be the same individual as the original Godzilla, who died at the end of the first movie. Is just another giant radioactive reptile.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. At the end of the first movie, Godzilla is destroyed, and there's just kind of there's this warning. It's like, if we don't change our ways, there could be more Godzillas. Yeah, and yeah, it came to pass. Here they come.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then after this there actually would not be another Godzilla movie for eight years, but Toho did not abandon the Kaiju the giant monster format. Instead, they introduced new monsters in their own films, such as Rodin in nineteen fifty six. This is a movie about a giant flying teran don basically this one is also directed by Ishiro Honda, and then Mathra in nineteen sixty one, again by Honda, about a giant moth worshiped as a god by the people of a remote island. And I think you could argue that Mathra was the second most popular original Toho Kaiju after Godzilla.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that seems to be the case. I was reading a bit about this in Godzilla The show What Era Films nineteen fifty four through nineteen seventy five, which is the book Slash Blu Ray Collection that the Criterion Collection put out, with the textual part written by Steve Rifele, who is, as far as I can tell, like the main English language authority on Godzilla films. I've heard him on Fresh Air with Harry Gross before talking about Godzilla films.
Speaker 3: We were just talking about this off Mike, but we both just ordered this Criterion Collection disc set and it's a magnificent collection. Yeah, the book that comes with it is excellent.
Speaker 1: It is a testimony to just how beautiful physical media can be for films. But one of the points I'll keep coming back to some of the things that Rifle has to say about these about these movies, the Rifle points out that during this period this is like a golden age of Japanese cinema. Japanese film studios were really cooking. A lot of great serious films were coming out. But also in these other buckets of content. There was like a lot of innovation. People were trying new things, and I think that's part of what we're seeing here is like Godzilla was a success, but they were trying. They were expanding what Kaiju could be as well. So it's like they weren't going to rest on their laurels necessarily and just put out Godzilla films, though they will eventually kind of return to form with this, like let's come back to Godzilla and maybe we'll bring in some things that we learned and some creatures we created from these other pictures.
Speaker 3: That's right, And so here we finally get to that. In nineteen sixty three with King Kong versus Godzilla, they got the rights yep, Gong or right at least got some kind of rights to King Kong. So this was a sort of appointment meet Slam between as the poster said, the two mightiest monsters of all time. From what I've read, by the way, I think King Kong was one of the inspirations for the original Godzilla, Like there was a producer at Toho who had been thinking about King Kong, which had just had been made in the nineteen thirties, but I think had just been recently re released internationally. And then I think there were also some other creative inspirations, maybe the Beast from twenty thousand Fathoms. But anyway, so here we've kind we finally get to mash the flavors together King Kong versus Godzilla. It continued the giant monster conflict theme. I believe it is in this movie that we really start to see the first signs of silly moves taken from professional wrestling, and the monsters start to act a bit less scary and more funny and anthropomorphic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Rifle says that the that Honda was not a big fan of this, this sort of treatment of Godzilla and certainly some of the stuff we see in some subsequent films where Godzilla is essentially dancing and doing pratfalls. Yeah, I think he makes a strong point that when Honda is on board for a picture, there is going to You're going to see more of a move towards capturing something serious about Godzilla and maybe leaning a little bit more into social commentary than some of the other pictures. Are those Some of the non Honda pictures, like the Hetero Picture, are actually quite serious in their own right as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I don't take it to be that Ishiro Honda was against having a silly, fun time and I think it's more like that. You know, he made the original movie, and he made it with serious themes in mind. This was in like anti nuclear weapons, anti war film, and now this same creature is just out here, you know, doing touchdown dances and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like he did. He's seem to be opposed to ignoring the legacy of Godzilla and what Godzilla originally meant. You can certainly drift and evolve the brand, but you don't want to abandon some of the key principles of the thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But anyway, so you have King Kong versus Godzilla, and then finally you get to the movie we're talking about today, Mathra versus Godzilla in nineteen sixty four, where contrary to our expectations trained on the later movies, there is a protector monster, but it is Mathra, not Godzilla. Godzilla is on the loose again, smashing things up after being awoken from the dirt, and in the story, the people of Japan must It's interesting what they have to do to defend themselves. It is essentially to humble themselves before nature and before the gods. To they have to humble themselves in like, go to an island and ask the people there to allow them to petition their their great godlike moth dear to come to their aid. And the moth does come to their aid, but not before making them feel bad about their greed and arrogance.
Speaker 1: And they should feel bad. Yeah, we'll discussed.
Speaker 3: But remember I started talking about these four movies in order because this is the last time in this original run at least, that we really see Godzilla as the antagonist, the villain as opposed to the protector. After this movie, Godzilla starts his long face turn, repeatedly being called upon to battle more evil and more destructive monsters, essentially to himself do what Mathra does in this movie. I believe Godzilla would wouldn't really get to be the villain again until some films later in the seventies and eighties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when they essentially are relaunching Godzilla and going back to its roots to some extent.
Speaker 3: But anyway, since we've been going backwards through time through the series, I wonder are we eventually going to work our way back to the fifty four original.
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think we should. It's interesting to think about about all of this in comparison to the way I think most of us have consumed Godzilla media, like, most of us have probably not seen them. First of all, most of us have not seen all of them, and most of us have certainly not seen them in order. I know, growing up, it's like I would catch Godzilla movies on television exclusively. I don't know that I had ever rented a Godzilla movie growing up. Maybe one of the later and one or two of the later, you know, films from the nineties or something, But for the most part, it's just Godzilla movies came on. You might not catch all of them, you might just catch parts of them even you don't didn't know where in the in the order they fell. And then you're just continually making new discoveries about what a Godzilla movie can be.
Speaker 3: Wait, do you remember what the first when you saw was?
Speaker 1: Ooh, that's a tough one, because you know there were some there was a there was a there was one Godzilla movie in particular, I remember seeing on Mystery Sens they three thousand as a kid. But then there were some others that they would just play on various Turner broadcast stations. I want to say that it was Godzilla versus the Sea Monster. I think that was the one, one of the big crab monster. I think that might have been the first one I saw a Bira. Yeah, yeah, it was also released as Godzilla Versus the Sea Monster.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure this is the earliest one I saw, but my earliest memory of seeing one was a TV broadcast of the one that's now usually called Godzilla Versus. Actually not Godzilla Versus, just called The Invasion of the Astro Monster. It's the one where Godzilla fights an alien kaiju called Monster Zero. I remember the scene on the other planet where there's like a big I don't know. In my memory, it was like a football field on the surface of another planet.
Speaker 1: I don't think i've seen that one. Yeah, but yeah, obviously I'd love to hear listeners tell us what their experience was with the Godzilla franchise. What was the first Godzilla film you saw, and then what was your what subsequently did you get into, Like where did you go from there? Did you move forward in time or backwards in time. I'm sure there's some listeners who haven't even seen any of the show era Godzilla films, you might be more familiar with some of the current big Hollywood blockbusters that feature Godzilla.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I don't know if where's the best place to talk about this in the episode, so maybe I'll just say it here. One thing I was thinking about was how it feels like you can really detect a zeitgeist shift from the post war fifties to the mid sixties in Godzilla nineteen fifty four compared to Mathra versus Godzilla in nineteen sixty four. Like I was thinking about how in the original Godzilla, the main human hero the main human heroes are scientists, and especially one scientist who bravely sacrifices his own life to carry out a scientific plan to defeat the rampaging monster while also not bringing into being a weapon that would you know, potentially be abused by all humanity. In Mathra, the main human heroes are, by contrast, journalists. There is a scientist too, there's like a professor who tags along with them, but the main two are journalists, and their real struggle is resisting capitalistic excess and greed, not by performing heroic acts themselves, really, but by acting as representatives of humanity, or at least of the nation of Japan and humbling themselves before nature and traditional religion to like ask the embodiment of these forces to have mercy on them. And the difference is also there so much in the environment, Like the kind of haunted, diminished, destroyed kind of environment of the original Moved is so different in math Reverses, where the environment feels like it's just bustling and full of public works and things being built in industry and money making.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, the world of mathra versus Godzilla was a world on the move, a world on the grow. Everyone is very distracted with the capitalist exercise here, and that's kind of the whole point of it is that Godzilla is going to happen again. But if we're just too greedy and too bound up in our and chasing riches and growing everything, we're not going to be in a place where we can resist him again when he attacks. In fact, as we'll discuss, it's like all this greed is getting in the way of various preparations that could have been made to prevent this sort of thing from occurring.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the great human sin lying behind the original Godzilla is actually a horrible, deadly destructive, collective project of humanity, whereas the sin in the human sin in mathra Versus is individual acts of greed and selfishness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great point. But the solution again is getting out of that and getting into more of a collective approach towards problems. Yeah, all right, Well, let's go ahead and listen to just a little splash of the trailer here. This is, I believe, from the original Japanese.
Speaker 4: Trade, not what's say you know, what's.
Speaker 5: What's making Joe Cunt three and your respect.
Speaker 1: All right, if you would like to watch mathra versus Godzilla, you should be able to get a hold of it. To be clear, though, this is Manthra versus Godzilla, not Godzilla versus Mathra, because Godzilla versus Matha is the name of a later Godzilla film that features both of these kaiju. It's it's a mistake that you would be forgiven for making. And if you make this mistake, you're still going to get to watch a Godzilla movie, so you know, it's no big deal. But this is Mathra versus Godzilla.
Speaker 3: Put the year in there, nineteen sixty four. That'll do it for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you can get it a number of places. Again, the Criterion Collection Godzilla the Showa era Films fifty four through seventy five Blu ray set is amazing, hard back, beautifully illustrated book has no fewer than fifteen Godzilla films on Blu ray in there. If you're looking to stream, Criterion Channel currently offers this among many other Godzilla films, and there may be other places you can get it as well.
Speaker 3: I streamed it on the Criterion Channel before my discs came in, and it looks great on their transfer as well, So the streaming option there is really good. But yeah, apart from this Criterion release, I noticed that this movie is hard to get on a good Blu Ray. I think there's like there's one that's out of print or maybe some at least in the US region.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know it's a Japanese Blu ray that was being sold as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I watched it on Blu Ray, but I also had the pleasure of seeing it on the big screen at Atlanta's Historic Plaza Theater a week or so ago as part of the Silver Screams spook show series. It was pretty great. It was a packed crowd, like the entire theater was packed out at very enthusiastic bunch. There were people in their Godzilla and Mathra jackets that people were we in Mathra merks. There were some big Mathra fans there. They had a big Mathra puppet that they paraded around before we watched it. A whole lot of fun. I got to see it with my kid. And if you're interested in the Silver Screams spook Show series, they're going to be showing nineteen seventy seven Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger in July.
Speaker 3: Oh man. I grew up with the vhs to that one.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, So we might come back to that one on Weird House.
Speaker 3: We'll see. From what I recall, it's a hoot in terms of story and acting, and it has some really really great stop motion monsters in it, a particularly a minotaur robot that's like a bronze or gold minotaur robot called the Mino Ton.
Speaker 1: All right, let's roll through the folks involved in this picture. I'm not going to hit everybody. There are going to be some that we may come back to later to credit who the actor was, but I want to hit the major points. So starting with the director again. It's issue Rohanda, who lived nineteen eleven through nineteen ninety three, legendary Toho film director who filmed nineteen fifty four of Godzilla, the Movie that started at all. He directed forty four pictures in total, eight of those Godzilla films, culminating in the nineteen seventy five film Terror of Mecca Godzilla, which, according to Steve Rifle, kind of comes back and serves as a proper cap to a lot of the silliness, you know, coming back and making maybe a little more serious and a little darker look at the Godzilla world. He also directed Rodin the Mysterians, The Human Vapor Tango, Frankenstein Versus Beragon, The War of the Gargantuan Space Amba, and more. He was a friend of director Akira Kurosawa and served as director counselor or or chief assistant director on Kurasawa's nineteen eighty five epic Run, and his name continues to appear in the credits on Godzilla movies and in other homages to the Godzilla franchise. According to Steve Rifle, Honda started out directing more like sort of like lower budget, thoughtful films about youthful characters and sort of you know the challenges of growing up. But then you know, ends up getting thrown into this world of Godzilla, and this, you know, comes to defind him as a filmmaker. And you know, he kind of stuck to his guns as much as possible about the seriousness of the original Godzilla picture, and so when his name is attached to it, yeah, there does seem to be this this pivot back to awards the darker roots of the being. All right, So that's the director. A writer once more is Shinichi Sakazawa, who of nineteen twenty through nineteen ninety two frequent collaborator with Honda and scribe of many Godzilla movies, beginning with sixty two's King Kong Versus Godzilla. Their Godzilla credits stretch from here all the way up to nineteen eighty nine's Godzilla Versus Bio Lanta. That's just a story credit, but still that's kind of like the full saga of their credits with the Godzilla franchise.
Speaker 3: Speaking of tone and seriousness, I think another one of the things Rifle mentions in that book is that there were a number of writers who contributed to this early run of Godzilla films and Sekizawa, I think is the one more often associated with a somewhat lighter tone and more openness to comedy, which is there in Mathra. To be clear, like this one is. It's not as silly as some of the later movies, but it does have a lot of comedy. Like the villains are very clownish in.
Speaker 1: It, yes, the human villains. Yeah, yet it has some great human comedy. The monsters are mostly treated with abjects seriousness, but there's some very silly human antics in there as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And also the guy who just is always eating eggs.
Speaker 1: Yes, we'll get to him in a second, but yeah, so we'll start with talking about the humans here and the monsters. I want to start with the forces of liberty, progression and also eggs. We mentioned that the leads the main characters here are journalists, and our main hero journalist is the character Ichiro Sakai played by Akira Takarata, who lived nineteen thirty four through twenty twenty two. Cocky but honorable journalist, a little tough to love at first. He comes off a little rough around the edges, but you grow to realize that he really cares about the truth and about doing what's right in the world world through his journalism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he from the beginning has integrity. He's not as likable in the beginning just because he's kind of he's sort of bossy and he's like demanding of respect from people around him, and I don't know, maybe maybe they're not giving him enough respect. I don't know, but yeah, you come around to him throughout the movie.
Speaker 1: So Takarata has the top billing here, but he actually appeared in different roles in numerous Godzilla films, including fifty four's Godzilla Invasion of the Astro Monster, in nineteen sixty five, Godzilla versus the Sea Monster from sixty six, as well as nineteen ninety two's Godzilla versus Mathra and Godzilla Final Wars from two thousand and four. He's also in King Kong Escapes from sixty seven. That's one I haven't seen yet, but it's always been on my list because it features not only King Kong in Kaiju form, but also a mecha Kong called Macanny Kong, and so he's in that. And then Takarada is also in the nineteen fifty five I believe Yeti horror film Half Humano. All right, so he's our lead journalist, but then his photographer is the character Junko Nakanishi, played by Yuriko Hoshi, who lived nineteen forty three through twenty eighteen. She also appears in Gdora the Three Headed Monster from sixty four in a different role, as well as in Godzilla versus Mega Gurius in two thousand. Her other credits include nineteen sixty eight's Kill and nineteen ninety six's Night Trains to the Stars. This was a supporting role that earned her a Japanese Academy Award.
Speaker 3: In this movie, she plays a character who is sometimes kind of impractical or overly concerned with the artistic side of life. For certainly for her boss at the paper here, who's like, you're not doing art, just snap the pictures and move on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't have to focus your camera, just take a picture of it.
Speaker 3: But she's also really kind of the conscience of the movie, Like she gives a speech on the island of Ewa that our ticket that is sort of like what motivates the people to say, okay, Mathra can come dear Aid and she and multiple points along the film is kind of the voice of reason and conscience when other people are doing wrong.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, Yeah, she's no mere sidekick here.
Speaker 3: But she's also amusingly pushy. Like there's one part where Ichi, the other reporter, is like trying to get a question with this professor, and the professor is like, I don't have time for this, and then she butts in and she is like, wait, one question, and then he's like, okay, what is it? And then she just steps aside and it's like okay, yeah, ask.
Speaker 1: Him, all right. So those are our journalists. But we do have a scientist in the mixed Professor Mura, played by Hiroshi Kozumi, who lived nineteen twenty six through twenty fifteen. He'd also played a scientist character in Mathra, the previous film to feature this monster, and return playing the same professor character in Godora the Three Headed Monster. His other films include Atragn nineteen sixty three's Matango, Godzilla Versus Mega, Godzilla, Godzilla Raids Again, and Ikiu from nineteen.
Speaker 3: Fifty two, Oh, the Corsawa movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of as when you start looking at the actors in Godzilla film, it's pretty typical to see that. Okay. They've been in various other Godzilla and Kaiju films from Toho, and they also have bit or supporting roles in various Krosawa films. Okay, so that's a trend that will continue to sit here.
Speaker 3: One thing I didn't realize is that this character also appeared in the standalone Mathra film which came earlier.
Speaker 1: Well, the actor did not the character, yeah, I see, okay, but he does. The confusing part is he does return, apparently playing the same character in a later Godzilla movie.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, Well, because there's a point where these like the fairy twins in this movie show up and start talking about Mathra, and it's kind of like, oh Mathra.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you know they've made probably made headlines, right, Yeah, Okay. We mentioned the comic relief character. This is a euro Nakamura played by you Fujuki, who have nineteen thirty one through two thousand and five. He's pretty great here again, he is a comic relief character. My favorite thing about him is that, as you mentioned, he's always eating eggs and he has an egg cooker on his desk at work, which I love.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love egg cookers. I think it's It and the rice cooker are two of the most fabulous unitasker devices that have been developed for the kitchen. But the idea of having one on your desk at work and making that the whole office smell like boiled eggs is just in and of itself comedic.
Speaker 3: Huh. So I'm a big fan of the rice cooker. I love my rice cooker. I use it all the time. I've never used a dedicated egg cooker. I don't even know how does it work. Is it hard boil.
Speaker 1: Or well, you can do hard boiled and to some degree of softer boils. They're like different levels that you fill the water up to, but then there's still kind of you still have to catch them at the right moment and then ice them down before they finish cooking. So we've had one for ages and I'm still refining exactly how to use it. The best way to try and get those, you know, those precious runny eggs, you know, for you know, to go in ramen and so forth.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I do love a soft boiled egg. But this guy eats so many of them in the movie. He's always just munching on a soft boiled while they're talking about a big like alien egg or monster egg.
Speaker 1: Right, and sometimes like the solution is right there. He's the first one to realize that the solution to a problem might be egg based.
Speaker 3: Yes, by the way, just unpaid product endorsement, the Zoji Rushi rice cooker. It's like, that's got to be one of my top brand loyalties. I love that thing, makes me happy every time I use it.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe one day we'll come back and discuss nineteen sixty seven's Branded to Kill. That's another Japanese movie, and that one prominently features rice cook Oh nice, all right, we'll see. I'm gonna skip over the newspaper editor. We may come back to him. I will point out that the actor that is generally credited with playing Mathra in one former or the other here is Katsumi Tazuka. Born in nineteen twelve. His death date is not comparently known. Played various monsters in different Toho films alongside Nakajima, our main Godzilla actor. He apparently served as an assistant to Nakajima. And then we have the twin fairies, the Shobajen, and they are played by the Peanuts. The Peanuts were a singing duo, a twin singing duo, Emmy and Yumi Ito. Here they are reprising their roles from the earlier Mathra film if even if you haven't seen one of these movies, you've probably seen clips or stills. They are two tiny identical Japanese women who sing to Mathra. Sing for Mathra. It's kind of like a form of worship. Really, that's the way I interpret it. The Mathra is a divine being, and Mathra must be awoken and appealed to through some sort of worshipful song.
Speaker 3: But also they are kind of divine beings, which is interesting. They're like the intercessors on behalf of regular humans. Are these two tiny humans, dull sized humans who like pray to Mathra for us?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're kind of intermediaries between us and the gods, between us and Mathra, and maybe in a sense too, they are Mathra. There's a lot to chew on here. So Emmy lived nineteen forty one through twenty twelve and you may lived nineteen forty one through twenty sixteen. Both were born in Nagoya, which will be important because that's the main city where everything happens in this picture. They have a string of credits before nineteen sixty one's Mathra and apparently we're already a sensation in Japan, in America as well as parts of Europe I believe, especially like Germany and Austria. And their subsequent credits include not only this nineteen sixty four film, but also godor the Three headed Monster. Mathra shows up, so the twins need to show up. A handful of musical comedies followed, and they performed on The Ed Sullivan Show in nineteen sixty six. They retired from performing in nineteen seventy five, but their music goes seem to be have been again quite a hit. It ranged from folk songs like Japanese folk songs, to covers of various Western hits. They toured quite a bit, and if you look them up on discogs you can find all sorts of amusing album covers, both from Japan and also various international releases.
Speaker 3: Did we mention that they not only sing songs to Mathra, but they also speak all of their lines together in unison. Yes, it's a striking effect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was reading that. That's apparently. That was one of the appeals of their act too, is that their voices were essentially identical, and so it made for some great vocalizations.
Speaker 3: It's by turns funny and creepy in the movie. Yes, so it works out well.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into the forces of corruption and destruction here. First of all, we have the character Kumayama. He is the greedy guy with the mustache, played by Yoshifumi Tajima, who lived nineteen eighteen through two thousand and nine, another regular Toho performer with credits that include various monster films, with also some bit parts in Kusawa movie sprinkled In as well.
Speaker 3: He is a comical villain in this who shows up to just beam with greed. If greed was embodied, it's like in the way this guy plays the role that he has not a Hitler mustache, but it's in the ballpark. It's like a shrunken What I would say is it's like if you imagine a handlebar mustache, but then you shrink it down so that it only takes up about a third of the width of his upper.
Speaker 1: Li Yeah, it feels I'm not sure if this is this is something that would have resonated at the time within the intended audience, but it feels like a very carny mustache, you know.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, So he's just always behaving crudely and greedily. It's like, you know, the director told him in every scene, just think about I want to get money, and yeah, that's what he's doing now.
Speaker 1: His financial backer is the character Euro Torajada, played by Kenji Sahara born nineteen thirty two, and as of this recording, I believe still out there. He actually played the dad in All Monsters Attack and was also in Atragon. So he's a Japanese actor who has the distinction of being I think in the most Godzilla films thirteen of them, in addition to numerous other Toho pictures. He was in the first Godzilla movie, Pops Up as a newspaper reporter, and then I think a party guy in a boat as well, so you know, he's all over the place. His last Godzilla film was two thousand and four Final Wars, and it looks like he was last active around twenty eleven. Also, I believe he was the star of Mighty Jack, the Japanese television series that MST three K fans should know about.
Speaker 3: Now, there were some things about this character I didn't fully understand he is like the secret partner of Kumiyama. Was it implied that he's involved in crime or something. He's got like a big cabinet full of money, and he's you know, he's being like sort of kept secret, Like Kumayama is the public facing owner of the egg and this guy is like his his secret backer, but is also scamming Kumayama.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I didn't get as much a sense of organized crime here. I feel like if that had been the case, there would have been more obvious tells to that effect. But it did feel like there are sort of two sides of the capitalist problem has received at the time in Japan. You know, It's like one guy is the more obvious, greedy, you know, cash fisted individual and the more you know, overt corruptive force, and the other side is like standing back and saying like, oh, I'm you know, I'm not the idea man here, I'm just the guy with the big locker full of cash, you know, like they're yeah, you know, he's.
Speaker 3: He needed all their loan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I agree his his role and everything is maybe a little more cryptic to figure out it, you know, at least you know from our standpoint as viewers. Yeah, yeah, Oh, and then we got to come back to Haro Nakajima playing Godzilla again. We've mentioned him on the show before. He lived nineteen twenty nine through twenty seventeen, played Godzilla in twelve consecutive films. He was also in Mathra in War of the garganshuas as well as a character I saw was seven samurai and a bit roll, not as a giant monster, and he's yet generally considered an an absolute legend when it comes to monster suit performers, and I have to say his physicality in the monster suit in this movie is especially good. There's kind of a wild abandon to the way Godzilla moves as he stumbles, tumbles, sprints and lurches through the landscape.
Speaker 3: Godzilla really feels angry and full of rage in some of his scenes. I'm thinking of the scenes later on when he's getting silked up by the grubs and he just looks furious at what's happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like when he destroys Nagoia Castle, uh, which which I've seen in real life. I've been to Nagoya, Uh. But when he destroys it, we'll get to it's kind of kind of like trips and falls into it and then is mad at It's kind of like when you stub your toe on a coffee table and you're like, what is this coffee table doing here? You dumb coffee table. Yeah, there's a there's a lot to unravel there about Godzilla, the menace in this picture and how I believe other have commented on this. Maybe it was Steve Rifle that was writing about this that while Godzilla is definitely the threat in the villain and you know, the monstrous and antagonist of this picture, there's also a sense that maybe he's like a little less of a vehicle of vengeance compared to the original Godzilla, you know, like he's maybe more akin to a natural force here.
Speaker 3: Yes, that he's he's not nice, but it does feel a little bit more like he's doing these things kind of accidentally or at least recklessly. Yeah, though he does I think get mad at Mathro, he does. There is some heat between these two.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And then finally getting to the music, we have legendary Japanese composer Akira Ifukube, who lived nineteen fourteen through two thousand and six. Not only did he give us the incredible Godzilla theme music, which is just at its best in this picture. But he also created that signature roar.
Speaker 3: Oh I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was apparently achieved by rubbing a resin covered leather glove across the loosened strings of a double bass. Oh okay, It's hard for me to picture how that all comes together because I'm so used to hearing Godzilla's roar. It just it feels organic. It feels like that's just the sound Godzilla makes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the sound Mathra makes in this movie is great too. That high pitched metallic chirp, that's great. Yeah, it's piercing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that again, his music is just an inseparable part of the true Godzilla franchise. His other films include Atragon Space Amba from seventy nineteen fifty six is the Burmese Harp. That's a non Kaiju film. But his theme music here for Godzilla, especially Godzilla's key theme, is just incredible. And if we didn't didn't have this theme, we wouldn't have that really awesome Pharaoh manch track, Simon says, which heavily samples not only the Godzilla music but the specific Godzilla music from this movie. So if you're a hip hop fan, old school hip hop fan, you know this track. It's conspicuously used. Yeah, in an amazing way, I think. Dare I say a loving way.
Speaker 3: But yes, in general, if Akube's music for the Godzilla films is wonderful, I'd loved I think we've talked about this before, but one thing that really got my blood going for shin Godzilla when it was coming out is the way that it used like the old sounding theme from the original film, but with the new movie footage. You know that minor key theme b da dun da da dun. Oh man, it's so good. But also his original music for Mathra itself or for Mauth versus Godzilla is a whole new ballgame, and it's wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Godzilla theme music. I kept thinking about this. It has a lumbering feel to it, like it feels like the great footsteps of a Titanic monster, but then there's also this sense of rising and it just works so exceptionally well with the visuals of pretty much anything Godzilla is doing on the screen.
Speaker 3: All right, you ready to talk about the plot, Let's get into it. So we begin with as expected that gorgeous, familiar mid century Tohoscope logo, which I love. Every time I've said this before, every time I see it makes me happy. It makes me think of precious gems.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: When it comes on screen, it's like I've been kind of scratching through a bunch of gravel and I come upon a cache of emeralds.
Speaker 1: I have to admit I loved it. Watching this live, there is thunderous applause for the Toho logo alone, so I love the enthusiasm of that.
Speaker 3: So during the credit and title sequence, you've got lead, heavy doom horns, that great score. We were just talking about playing over a dark shot of the open sea in a typhoon and rain is hammering down, the waves are huge lightning flashes, and the clouds in the sky, and as the credits wrap, we cut from the black mid ocean to somewhere along the shore where waves are crashing against a sea wall, and then we get a close up on a sign that says in Japanese, congratulations karatea coast reclamation project complete. I think there's supposed to be some humor here, contrasted with the weather and the fact that the music is still in like Death of the Universe mode, and we pan over to appear beside the sea. There's a bunch of stuff set up for a party. There's like a tent pavilion and streamers and picnic tables, and we watch all this stuff just get buffeted by winds and eventually swept away, and the waves surge over the sea wall and tear down a bunch of power lines. We see a boat washed ashore and it crashes into everything. It's a monster storm. The next day there are blue skies overhead as hundreds of people gather at the coast we just saw, and the beach is now piled with rubble washed ashore by the typhoon, and we get an interesting effects shot I think done in miniature of the sea wall with a long row of giant yellow pump stations in operation. I assume draining water out from behind the wall and blasting it back in the ocean of these pipes that look like cannons. So a visual metaphor for civilization and technology re establishing dominance over the forces of the natural world, with a kind of violence implied because the pumps look like gun barrels. As I mentioned, earlier. Greatly in contrast to the haunted, diminished Japan of the original Godzilla, this movie takes place in the middle of what feels like an economic and industrial boom. There's just capitalistic exuberance. Everything's under construction, everybody's making money. Businessmen feel like gods, and they just they cannot be resisted. And here in the crowd at the coast, we meet a couple of our major characters. We meet Ichiro Sakai Ichi, a reporter for the Micho Times, and when we first meet him, he's very impatient, focused strictly business. And also Junko Nakanishi, his photograph photographer assistant, again more flighty and kind of contemplative. As she's observing the scene, she says she's trying to come up with a theme for her photo spread, and Echiro tells her, your theme is typhoon. Come on. Now, we see Echi confronted by a clownish local politician who is angry at the fact that he wrote an article about the destruction caused by the typhoon. The assemblyman here does not like that Ichi has been reporting on the destruction. He insists that their coastal reclamation project will be the best ever. It's you know, it's going to happen on time. How dare you write about this? And nearby, Junco is setting up for a photograph of all the garbage washed up on the shore, and she realizes one thing in the frame is a weird shimmering blue green object, kind of like a giant scale. I wonder what that is. But here's one of the scenes where Ichi is telling her like, don't waste time with light meters, just start clicking that shutters. Not high art, but I think Junko just feels differently. She has more of an artistic sensibility.
Speaker 1: She's like, we should do this right, yeah, yeah, And I think I think he takes her craft for granted here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So back at the newsroom, we meet a few more characters. We meet Ichi and Junko's boss, the news editor, who is Oh, I don't know. I figure like he comes off as kind of brusque, but then later maybe it reveals a kind of practical wisdom, would you say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Like he's he's a very busy man and he has no time for silliness. He's got to get that paper out, you know, very much a cliche in many ways, but but ultimately does care about the truth and and is really behind journalism's you know, key principles in the world.
Speaker 3: Right. And then there's also this comic relief character the reporter who's eating soft boiled eggs. Yea such a and he's always doing it in a scene where they're talking about giant monster eggs. For example, this scene because the editor gets a call on the phone and it is revealed that the next big news event is a giant egg has been spotted off the coast of Japan at a place called Niche Beach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it is a big one.
Speaker 3: It's big. It's like a blimp. There's a big blue, green, blue, green, white oblate spheroid floating in the water. And we go to the local fishing village, which is portrayed as full of somewhat sympathetic but also easily frightened bumpkins who are first possessed by terror and then gradually by greed. They decide that since fishing has been bad lately, it's been a bad catch, they're going to go out and claim the egg as the prize of their waters. By right. They have a whole discussion about it, They're like, wait, whatever comes out of that water, fish or egg belongs to us. So this is an egg, it's in the water, it's ours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's actually a lot here that you could unravel. You could do a whole shin Mathra movie based on this conflict.
Speaker 3: Oh, just the court cases about who the egg.
Speaker 1: Belongs to belong to, you know, the parties here or some of the parties that are going to be revealed here in a bit.
Speaker 3: Let's have a meeting about it, and maybe a few depositions. Yeah, So the villagers take their boats out and they bring the egg ashore, where it is transported to the beach, and we see shots of astonished crowds forming this cautious circle around it. Afterwards, Ichi and Junko arrive on the scene and they meet a new character, the scientist Professor Mura, who is taking example, taking samples to better understand the giant egg. And this is the scene where at first the professor doesn't really have time for them, but Junko is pushy enough to get a question on the record. And the question that Ichi asks is is this egg dangerous? The quote is could it explode or release toxins? And the professor is like, well, that's what I'm trying to find out. But they don't get a chance to find out. They are interrupted in the middle of that research by the arrival of the new big head guy in charge. This is mister Kubayama, a vain, greedy businessman, the proprietor of Happy Enterprises. Yep, I love the choice the name of the business. There, it feels apt. There's something sinister about the banality of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's like, you know, don't you want to be happy? Yeah? How can you be opposed to happiness?
Speaker 3: So it turns out Kumayama has bought the egg from the local fisherman. It is now rightfully his, and there's a funny scene here where he explains how much he paid for it, like how he arrived at the price, and it was by multiplying the cost of a chicken egg by the size difference between a chicken egg and the giant egg.
Speaker 1: Well that's just logical. Yeah, yes.
Speaker 3: Now the reporters protest, They're like, wait a minute, should this egg maybe not be thought of as private property? Isn't this kind of a wonder of nature? Maybe it belongs to all of humanity? Or none of us. Uh, And Kumayama is like, well, that's why we're gonna let everybody come look at it. We're gonna watch it incubate and hatch, and everybody can come see for a small fee. Of course. So he's he's trying to go for the King Kong thing, right, He's going to take this wonder of nature and he's going to put walls around it and sell tickets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like a whole They have a whole map, They have everything planned out how it's going to work. Everyone's going to come and see the egg and maybe it'll be some some additional rides. Who knows this is This is going to really remake the whole area. Also the plot of Gorgo remember Oh yeah, that's right, and I guess kind of the plot of King Kong, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's what I was just saying. Yeah, King Kong and then sort of Jurassic Park too, though the Jurassic Park has the cloning element that's so different.
Speaker 1: But yeah, this is a spectacle. People will pay to see this.
Speaker 3: But Kumayama taunts the reporters and the scientists for their ideals. He offers to pose for a picture for junko and then he just blows cigar smoke in her face when she uses the king. What a jerk. And then later at the nearby hotel, Kumayama is revealed to have this secret business partner, this creepy guy named tora Hata, who lent him the money for the deal. Tora Hata has this giant file cabinet full of cash, just cash money, and it's I don't know why he has that. But the idea is they're going to build this amusement park based around the egg, which they are now going to be keeping in this steal enclosure, I think presumably, so if it hatches whatever hatches, can't get away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or to some degree, they might be incubating it a little bit, Yeah, doing that too, the appropriate temperature and so forth.
Speaker 3: But the two businessmen are interrupted in their scheming by something quite strange. Two tiny women the size of dolls, who appear in their hotel room as if by magic, and start chanting in unison about how they must return the egg and how it doesn't belong to them. These are the Fairy Twins. Again, these are the musical act the Peanuts. Is that what they were called the peanuts. Peanuts, Yes, how are they dressed here? At the beginning, they they look kind of like cupcakes. They've got like a like a white fur and then a white hat with pink things on top, so there's kind of an icing effect. And then they're wearing yellow and pink dresses below that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're wearing something to be interpreted as like traditional garb. They are, you know, in a way, they are their voices and representatives of the old world and not this new world of hyper activity and progress. It's like literally building things around an egg, which in and of itself is an interesting scenario. You're building permanent structures around this thing that is by its very nature impermanent and is going to lead to like some other different form that needs to be free. But they're like, nope, let's build it. It's all about right now.
Speaker 3: Yes, an egg is made to be broken out of and you build a cage around. Yeah. Yeah. So obviously the business guys do not heed the message. Are they going to be like, oh, okay, we'll give you the egg bag now. Instead, they try to capture the fairy twins. They're like running around the hotel room trying to get them under a coat.
Speaker 1: There's some fun hijinks here. I think it's always important to drive home with a good kaiju movie. That yeah, kaiju movies have great scenes where monsters battle each other, but the best kaiju movies are also very enjoyable when the monsters are not on screen. And it takes a long time before we get to the monster battles here. But for my own money, I was never like missing the monster battles when we hadn't gotten there yet, because there was just plenty of fun high jinks with you know, these miniature these maximize sets for these miniature characters, and the comedy with the eggman, and the social commentary that was going on regarding like greed and corruption, plenty to shoot on here.
Speaker 3: So after they fail in appealing to the businessmen, the fairy twins appeal instead to our heroes, to djunko Ichi and the professor. I think this happens in the woods outside the hotel. I forget how they get out there, but they let the heroes know that the egg actually belongs to the giant godlike being of Ewa Island, Mathra, and it was brought here by the storm. They say, there's great potential for disaster when the egg hatches, so they must help the twins return the egg to Ewa Island where it belongs.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. One of the interesting things about the twins is when they make themselves known. At first, you just hear them like a voice of one's own conscious, you know, urging you to make the right choices in life instead of the greedy path you're following.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of scenes of them talking in unison, and the characters are like looking around and yeah, where's that coming from? Now? At this point, I think maybe I'm going to skip more lightly over some of the machinations in the middle of the movie, but I'll summarize what happened. So the two evil, greedy businessmen keep scheming. We see them counting money and trying to scam everybody, including each other, and being possessive over the mathra egg Ichi Junko and the Professor try to expose the corruption of happy enterprises, but they don't seem to be able to stop them. Suddenly, there is a shift in the middle of the movie. Remember that blue green scale found in the rubble after the typhoon. Well turns out the professor has some news about it. It's radioactive, and Junko and Ichi touched it. There's a cool scene where we see them getting like date, I don't know, they're getting decontaminated. They're sending in these purple pink kind of chambers. And that's not a good sign because what else is radioactive? It's Godzilla baby, So nearby suddenly God's Zilla starts to rise up out of the earth from out of this desolate field of mud. Do you remember what the field was? Was it a construction site or something else.
Speaker 1: You get the sense that it's like reclaimed maybe a mix of reclaimed c and also the like damaged area from the typhoon, because you see, like you know, there's like a boat wreck in there and so forth. And also that's the idea that like Godzilla has been returned to Japan via the storms. But this scene where he rises up is pretty amazing. We get that great theme song and people are like, oh, oh goodness, it's happening again, happening again, It's.
Speaker 3: Happening again, And here he is. He attacks Japan once again, wandering into cities, smashing up buildings and infrastructure. So we see him I think knock over like a TV tower and attacks attack of castle Castle. Any highlights from this rampage.
Speaker 1: Here, Oh, well, this is there's some great physical movement of Godzilla here. I love that he's at times lumbering, other times kind of scrambling. Again that sense of rage you referenced when he destroys Nagoya Castle, Well, even when he destroys the antenna tower, he kind of it's almost like he does so accidentally and it falls on him and it makes him even more angry. And then he kind of like trips and falls into an Agoya Castle, like he didn't really mean to destroy it, but then he's mad at it because he fell on it, and then he just bashes it the rest of the way. I was watching rewatching this particular scene with my wife and she was like, well, why is Godzilla so dumb in this movie? And I'm like, no, he's not dumb. That god don't insult Godzilla's intelligence. But there is the sense it's almost like he's been thrown out into He wasn't prepared for this. He didn't want to go on a rampage today. He was slumbering. Now you've woken him up. He's cranky and he's going to destroy stuff. It's not necessarily what he wanted to do with this day, but it's.
Speaker 3: Happening exactly right. We're here now. Yeah, So the Japanese Self Defense Forces they try to fight Godzilla, but since when has that done?
Speaker 1: I should note that in the US version of this picture, which is I think what titled Godzilla versus the Thing, they actually, instead of it being just the Japanese Self Defense Forces, they actually call in the US military, and so the scene instead of having the scene where it's the Japanese Self Defense Forces having a meeting about how to attack Godzilla, it's a meeting between the Japanese Self Defense Forces and the US military, and the US military does like a missile strike on Godzilla, which of course doesn't work.
Speaker 3: So finally our heroes come up with an idea. I think they're in the newsroom, I believe when they come up with this, right, so they're like talking to the editor and stuff. The idea is what if they request help from Mathra Rob Do you remember how they arrive at this idea? Is?
Speaker 1: I believe the eggman is the one who look at he's like eating an egg back there, and hey, I've got an egg related idea, and I think this is our solution, and they're like, well, you know, actually that's it. We should roll with that.
Speaker 3: So the reporters and the professor make the journey to Ewa Island to speak with the people there for the idea. The idea is they're going to beg Mathra to help defend them from Godzilla. But when they arrive at Ewa Island, they discover devastation. The island has been used for nuclear weapons tests.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it is ravaged. It does not look good. It is You might be forgiven for expecting it to be like a tropical paradise that they're traveling to, and it probably was, but now it is just devastation.
Speaker 3: Should we mentioned Skeleturtle.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this was Skeleturtle's deal because at first I thought it was just the skeleton of a turtle. But it moves a little.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, this is a thing that Godzilla fans have talked about for years. Actually that so we see all these bones on this desolate beach where the nuclear tests have happened. It's supposed to be scoured of all life, and we see like the giant rib cage of some huge animal don't know what it is, but also a turtle and it's bones it's like a skull and a shell and vertebrae. But it's moving around, and there's no attempt to address this, no explanation. I don't know why it's moving around. I don't know if it's moving around by accident, if it is supposed to be a skeleton that is somehow still alive. The characters don't comment on it, even though it's right there in front of them, So I don't know. It's one of the most mysterious things about this movie. What is meant by the skeleturtle. It's a haunting image, actually, I mean it kind of suggests a living death.
Speaker 1: It really does.
Speaker 3: Yeah that like the nuclear testing has been so evil in fact, that it has doomed these these animals to a kind of to a kind of hell existence where they're like dead but they're still there somehow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it doesn't seem to be played for comedic effect, and it's not elaborated upon so.
Speaker 3: Anyway, So they go to the people of Ewa Island, who worship Mathra as their god. The local chief is initially not sympathetic to their pleas for help. They're like, wait, you're from the outside world that stole Mathra's egg and wouldn't give it back and does nuclear testing on our island and made skeleturtles here. Why should we help you now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like, yeah, that's that's true. We would love your unconditional support now in our battle against Godzilla, creature that we are also responsible for. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But Junko makes a plea. Basically, she's like, yeah, there are bad people out there. They're bad people everywhere, bad people in Japan who took the egg. But they're innocent people there too, they didn't do anything to hurt you. They're worth defending. And then she makes the point, you know, even bad people don't deserve to be killed by Godzilla, so please help us. And this lands somewhat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it lands with the local people who are hearing the message, and outside, I think lands of the audience. I mean, it's as potent a message today as it ever was.
Speaker 3: So the Fairy Twins appear and they get a whole musical number here, like they sing for a long time, and the singing they're singing a song to Mathra to enlist her aid so I think we're getting Mathra on the team.
Speaker 1: Mathra is gonna happen, but again, Mathra has to be appealed to through song and worship, and then once that message is received, action can take place.
Speaker 3: Now back on the mainland, we got to check in with our two greedy businessmen. They keep double crossing each other until one finally kills the other one and tries to take all the money for himself. But then I think he dies pretty much immediately because Godzilla crushes the building he's in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're scrambling over a pile of money and shooting at each other while Godzilla is approaching visibly in the distance, looming like a great siege tower, moving in on their headquarters. And yeah, so they both face a fitting destruction here under the heels of Godzilla.
Speaker 3: But eventually, uh oh, Godzilla's rampage sends him in the direction of the egg enclosure.
Speaker 1: That's right, And this is where you get a sense that, you know, Godzilla's violence towards the infrastructure of Magoya may be more or less accidental, Like he's just he's here, he's going to rambage. He didn't ask to be here. But when he sees that egg. I don't know, there's a sense that like he knows this is Kaiju business, maybe he even knows that what Mathra is, or to some extent he sees this as an enemy. And there's this sequence where where Godzilla stares down the enclosure and this is about the same time that Mathra is physically arriving. And oh my goodness, the look that Godzilla put pulls here just absolute daggers for eyes. Yes, they just gave me the chills. As he decides as he starts destroying the egg facility, I mean, why would you why would you mess with Godzilla here? I mean this look. I included a still for you here, Joe, it's just, oh my goodness, the most intimidating Godzilla stare I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Like we're seeing mostly the whites on the underside of his eyes or his pupils are kind of rolled up, and he's got his head hanging down, just like utter contempt and destruction. Yeah. So Godzilla starts smashing the Egg incubation building by side whipping it with his tail. We see metal crunching, steel beams are falling. But then, oh, intervention, here comes Mathra. The mom is the mom is here. So at this point, somehow Ichy Junco and the gang are back. They're on a they like run to a hilltop nearby to watch the battle. I think I may have skipped over, however they got back.
Speaker 1: You know. I want to throw in this about the battles that take place between especially between Godzilla and adult for Mathra here. Yeah. I think one of the reasons that I long avoided Godzilla versus Mathra is that I didn't in my youth see the potential of the physical battle. Like I was more about like the goofy fun of one Kaiju battling another of two dudes in rubber suits wrestling on a minute on a set with a bunch of miniatures.
Speaker 3: Can you suplex them off?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think that was part of it. I was like, I just kind of imagined, like the hokiest version of this battle where it'd be a puppet on a stick versus a guy in a costume. But they do such a great job. It never feels like that here. Mathra never feels like a like a rough puppet. I mean, obviously Mathra is created in large part through puppetry, but it's it's it's done superbly and I just completely bought into the combat between these two entities.
Speaker 3: Absolutely agree this is one of the best monster battles in the series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it doesn't I think I've seen other folks. Maybe it was Michael Weldon pointing out that like this one doesn't get rastley and therefore doesn't have as much silliness. It's it's you know, it's it's out there. It has a lot of like crazy Kaiju weaponry, for sure, but it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: So I think I said this earlier. But one thing I really love here is the sharp metallic ping of Mathra's call. It's like a I don't know, it sounds like like a dagger piercing the air somehow. Yeah, and so we hear that, and Godzilla is still busy, like smashing up the buildings trying to get to the egg, but Mathra begins furiously flapping her wings and that generates this humongous gale which pushes Godzilla to and fro and it also though, knocks over the rest of the building. And now the egg is exposed and Godzilla attacks and ooh, the attack on the egg is actually kind of scary. He's like striking and clawing at it, blasting it with the radioactive breath, and was just thinking like, oh no, poor egg.
Speaker 1: Yeah again, Godzilla is betrayed. Is very very much the aggressive beast here, so there's a real frenzy to his movements that I really liked.
Speaker 3: But Mathra intervenes. She grabs Godzilla by the tail and drags him away from the egg. I know we said it's not too rassal any, but.
Speaker 1: This seems kind of like a little Yeah, this is.
Speaker 3: Like when a wrestler like drags another wrestler out of the ring by his leg. Observing from Afar by the way, the professor asks what's that yellow powder? And the Fairy Twins are there and they're like, it is Mathra's final weapon, and they explained that it's a kind of poisonous pollen. So she's like coating Godzilla in this like yellow pollen powder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like an aerial bombardment of the stuff.
Speaker 3: So they fight some more, and at one point Godzilla gets the upper hand. He blasts a Mathra with his breath and Mathra starts to look more and more ragged as she's beaten up in this battle. Oh I didn't mention this, but we were told earlier by the twins on the island that Mathra is she's sort of like near the end of her life cycle, that she's dying, and so she flies away from battle back to the beach toward the egg, and the fairy twins remind us that Mathras and the end of her life. So she glides down to lot to land beside her egg, and then she dies. And Godzilla does here kind of do a wicked, gloating victory dance of sorts, but not a silly dance.
Speaker 1: Right right now.
Speaker 3: Here, the military resumes fighting Godzilla. Is this gonna do much? Of course not. They shoot some rockets and bombs, we see planes flying around. There is one part here that I will also say that this is better than the average military bombardment of Godzilla scene because there are some effects that are actually kind of visceral. Like there's one part where Godzilla's head catches on fire and oh yeah, looks awesome, but Godzilla just kind of shakes it off. He also gets into a tussle with some high voltage power lines. They also try a big net dropped from a formation of helicopter.
Speaker 1: They drop like three nets on him and it looks like it might work, but of.
Speaker 3: Course Godzilla he hates this, and he proceeds to breathe on and melt a bunch of tanks. Meanwhile, down at the beach, the Fairy Twins are doing a musical number. They have gone down to Mathra's egg, and they are singing a song to it, I believe, imploring it to hatch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and to bring Mathra back into the world again. Mathra is apparently a divine entity of continual death and rebirth.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And this is intercut with shots of the people on Ewa Island also doing a dance for the egg. And then suddenly, at the climax of the song, lightning flashes and the egg hatches, and you know what, it's not just one baby Mathra, but two, it's twins, just like the Fairy Twins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two larval Mathras emerge, and so now they have the numbers advantage over Godzilla. I'm not sure if Godzilla realizes this, but like, this is really the point at which he's cooked.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But so to emphasize, it's not like two little moths with wings, it's grubs. It's like two caterpillars, larval mathras and there are hilarious shots of these two like gi red brown grubs humping through the ocean towards the island after.
Speaker 1: Like it's like, yeah, it's kind of like their sea serpents or something, you know, but also kind of like water buffaloes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they're going through the water because we learned there's this whole subplot about like there are some school children on Ewa Island and they're still there, and then Godzilla starts going towards the Ewa Island and they're like, oh no, the school children, they're in danger, and almost as if to protect them, the grubs like chase after Godzilla through the water and they go to the island. The three human protagonists go there as well, and they sort of get busy rescuing the school children while Godzilla fights these two little moth grubs. And this fight is funny and I think it is meant to be. Like one bites Godzilla on the tail and he starts whipping it all around to get it off. But in this battle between Zilla and two grubs, who's gonna win? And how well I love the final way they defeat him. The moth larvae start blasting Godzilla with their silk. They shoot like spider silk, but they're, of course, you know, these little grubs, and they essentially cocoon him alive. They're spinning more and more silk, throwing it over him. He's furious. He's breathing radioactive breath. He's whipping all around. But he eventually gets wrapped up and incapacitated and just breathing all over in random directions, furious, and he finally falls to the ground, rolls down over the edge of a cliff and into the ocean, sinking out of sight. It's a glorious way to defeat Godzilla.
Speaker 1: I think it's clear that Godzilla is not killed, you know, it's like he is just defeated for now. He will probably be back, and hopefully humanity can get it together, maybe avoid some of their greed and self interest in order to better prepare for his eventual return.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we see the grubs swimming away. We can hear the fairy twins yelling goodbye in unison. I guess they're going with them. I don't think we see them. And then the humans watch the baby mathras leaving and one of them says, shouldn't we thank them? But then Ichi says the only way to thank them is to build a better world, and the Professor says, that's right, a world based on mutual trust. There's a little a little direct there. It's not super subtle, but you know, I appreciate the sentiment. They're right. That is, you have plainly stated the moral of the film.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I like it, Yeah, firmly stated. It serves for us to be reminded because we'll inevitably forget and build a world that is highly susceptible to Godzilla's attack.
Speaker 3: Yes, it will happen again in Gdora the Three Headed Monster. I forget what the precipitating event is in that one, but you know they're gonna Something's gonna happen, all right, any other business about mathra versus Godzilla before we wrap it up?
Speaker 1: Oh, just to say that I think it's absolutely solid. It has a great message. Again, the monster battles are amazing, but everything else is also richly entertaining and at times intentionally hilarious. Looks great, sounds great. I would I would be inclined to say, again, I can't pretend to be a Godzilla completest. I haven't seen I haven't even seen all of the show era films. I certainly haven't seen all of the Godzilla films period, and I haven't seen the recent ones, which I'm to understand also feature Mathra. But I would say, if you've never seen a Godzilla film before, and you're open to watching films from previous decades, Matha versus Godzilla is a pretty good place to start. I mean, if you're not going to start with the original one. In the original Godzilla film, this is this is really good. You get, you get heal Godzilla, you get beautiful Mathra, you get you get amusing performances and a nice message. What more can you ask for?
Speaker 3: I would say this is the most Godzilla film of all the Godzilla films I've seen. It has It has all of the core elements in their most perfect form right right.
Speaker 1: And you might enter into this film being a Mathra skeptic like I think I used to be, but you will be won over by Mathra and you'll realize that she is indeed the Queen of monsters. All hell, All right, We're gonna gohead close out this episode of Weird House Cinema, but we'd love to hear from all of you. We know you have thoughts on this Godzilla film and many other Godzilla films will remind you that Stuff to Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film here on Weird House Cinema. If you would like to see a list of all the movies we've covered over the years, go to letterbox dot com. Our user name there is weird House, and we're experimenting with something new. If you want to follow Weird House Cinema exclusively wherever you get your podcast, it now has its own playlist. So Weird House Cinema is still very much publishing to the Stuff to Blow your Mind podcast feed that is its home, that is the core place to subscribe for all of our content, but we're experimenting with having this additional way to seek out the episodes in their own environments.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say Hello. You can email us at contact at stuff to Blow Your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.