Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, we're back in person. I know it feels nice to be in the same studio again.
Speaker 2: So close together.
Speaker 1: And that's a face I did, so I have to say this. So I was walking here and so it's winter, but it's actually really nice outside. But I did see a guy with a T shirt and shorts on, and I posted on Facebook like, just a guy with T shirt and shorts on. Although it's winter, it's nice out, but it's still winter. And then I wrote, and the answer to your second question is yes, so the brown enbition. You know what I mean by the answer to your second question. If you don't know what I mean, you probably.
Speaker 2: Not hashtag white people.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, I was like, oh, like.
Speaker 2: You know, I thought, I so I have.
Speaker 4: I'm really close to my coworkers who happen to be white, just like very cool ladies whatever. So I'm always thinking in my head like white people, white people, but I don't say.
Speaker 2: It out loud.
Speaker 4: But I just had to because like last week, they were sharing this article and the New York Post about how bulls are a thing now, how bowls are the new plate that's literally the headline, and within this article they're interviewing like a yoga instructor from Brooklyn, the founder of a modeling company online, and they're all talking about with like sincerity, how bowls are better than plates because they make food better to be photographed, they make it easier to consume, they're beautiful. Bulls are the new plate and they're orders like all disgusted by this, and I was just like you, guys, I have to say it hashtag white girls, yeah, because like what and this is the second article.
Speaker 2: Plates are being done, like being replaced by bulls.
Speaker 4: That's the trend now and this is what matters. Oh here, Oh the headline's even worse. Hot skinny people are ditching salads for power bowls.
Speaker 3: Air quotes parable power bowls.
Speaker 4: And she has like a carrot and some lettuce in this bowl. Justine Parker twenty eight and Lily coon In twenty seven have an exercise date at a trendy skyteing yoga downtown, but afterwards they don't grab coffee tea your salad. Instead, they go out for a bowl, a power bowl filled with vegetables, whole grains and protein.
Speaker 2: Die, both of you.
Speaker 1: You're either going to have a restaurant called bowls probably yeah, yeah, wait.
Speaker 3: People will go It'll be the new high trains.
Speaker 2: In the sand trends.
Speaker 4: I was talking to you about the whole Canada Goose eight hundred dollars jacket. Yes, so I was noticing it feels like high school in New York City and this is a big city. So for me to notice that almost maybe four people to five people on a train car that at any given time, any given day this winter have been wearing this puffy coat with the Canada Goose label on it. Yes, And I'm like, what is happening? Is this the ninth grade all over again? Everyone's got to have thish jacket.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is.
Speaker 2: I've never noticed it before, and then I started looking it up.
Speaker 3: Nine hundred dollars. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy because I was introduced to Canada Goose about two no, about three or four years ago a friend of mine. We were both saying, like, you know what, I can't do another Jersey wintil. We have to get a super warm coat. And it was summer, and so he did his research.
Speaker 3: I did mine.
Speaker 1: I ended up getting a north Face like super discounted because I feel like you have to have one big, ignorant winter coat. Like the type of coat you wore when you were five. Ignorant, Yes, ignorant, just just big for no reason. Yeah, you know, no shape, no, just on you. And so he ended up getting at Canada Goose. He had never heard of it before, but it was supposed to be really warm, and he was a big, tall guy, so.
Speaker 2: Like like a rent payment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but no, he didn't get it wasn't nine hundred at the time. I think it was like three hundred or something like or three fifty something to that double. I don't know, but I would also remember it was also off season and this was about four years ago. So he got his coat and so that was the first I'd ever heard of it, and I've never seen it until this year again, so I'm like, wow, he was a way of heead a trend.
Speaker 3: That's to tell him.
Speaker 2: Well, it wasn't just me.
Speaker 4: I read on the same day I came in and I was finally ready to explode because I had just put my coat up at the office and there was like three Canada Goose jackets and I'm like, why are we being brainwashed? Like what's happening? There's an art online on Business Insider and they had written like the history of the Canada Goose jacket and how it became. This is the jacket that people in Antarctica who are doing research. This is that jacket. That's the jacket they used to keep warm. It's a jacket that film crew where when they're filming in like Arctic conditions and outside the elements. It became popular because Hollywood. I think James Bond, Daniel Craig wore one in one of his movies, and then I think Claire Danes or some actress had been seen wearing it, and then you know, like.
Speaker 3: I'm like, shoot, he got it. I should have got it. I could have sold it. For real.
Speaker 1: I'm like, meanwhile, I got this north face and he got the Canada goose, and you know, because I would totally sell it and then get something else.
Speaker 2: Business opportunity, I know, you know what.
Speaker 4: I feel like, it's fine if you can afford it to buy an eight hundred dollars code, you can say it's an investment or whatever. But I feel like some people buy these jackets and it's worth more than the money in their bank account or like the their purse, or like, you know, I just don't see why the jacket, like one thing has to cost.
Speaker 3: And honestly, it's called in New York, but it's not Antarctica.
Speaker 4: Listen, go to TJ Max, go to Marshall's exactly. I got myself a seventy five dollars winter coat two years ago.
Speaker 2: It is still just as perfect as it.
Speaker 1: Was, And honestly, to me, you only need one ignorant winter coat a lifetime unless you live like a Canada, you know, like just.
Speaker 3: One big like a bubble bubble jacket, and then if you.
Speaker 1: Don't, like, you know, you're not rough with it, then you can just keep that for a lifetime. Like I'm never gonna get another like big coat like that again. I'm just gonna have my one little it's not little. It's a huge north face. It goes to my knees, and I'm like, I only take it out, you know, when New Jersey has decided to lose all of its mind and you know it's just crazy outside. But I don't wear it often, and I'm like, that's it for me.
Speaker 2: People are nuts.
Speaker 3: They are nuts.
Speaker 4: Speaking of nutty people, I was just browsing Facebook yesterday and I saw this story about this guy who wrote an open letter to San Francisco's mayor. Oh boy, me, let me pull up the article.
Speaker 3: You know, it's bad when Mandy has to do the deep side.
Speaker 4: Okay, So it's from this guy. He owns a startup in San Francisco. Of course he does. Because San Francisco, if you haven't noticed, over the last you know, seven to eight years, has become the epicenter of startup land. It's called Silicon Valley for a reason. People go there to It's for Apple, Google, Pinterest, and every other startup and app that you ever loved in your life has. You know, even Yahoo has a headquarters there. So in San Francisco there's this huge it's kind of.
Speaker 3: Like New York.
Speaker 4: There's this huge gap between the rich and the poor. All these wealthy, wealthy tech people are coming in and they're driving up, driving out people middle class people who can't afford to live there anymore. And San Francisco has always had a historic problem with homelessness. Yes, so this jackass, if I can call him, that, he decides to write an open letter. This is the letter. It's called open letter to San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee and Greg Sir, the police chief. And I'll just give you a brief excerpt. I'm writing today to voice my concern and outrage over the increasing homeless and drug problem that the city is faced with. I've been living in SF over three years, all of three years, and without a doubt, it is the worst it has ever been since the three years he moved here. Apparently every day on my work too and from work, I on my way to and from work, I see people sprawled across the sidewalk, tense cities, human feces, and the faces of addiction. The city is becoming a shantytown. Worst of all, it is unsafe. Oh so, here's the part that really got to me later on. It's not the longest letter, but here he says, what are you doing to address this problem? The residents of this amazing city no longer feel safe? Because he speaks for everyone exactly. I know people are frustrated about gentrification happening, but the reality is we live in a free market society. The wealthy, working people like himself have earned their right to live in the city. They went out, got in education, worked hard, and earned it. I shouldn't I shouldn't have to worry about being accosted. I shouldn't I shouldn't have to see the pain, struggle and despair of how most people.
Speaker 3: No, you do, Yes, he wrote this.
Speaker 4: I'm reading the words, Yes, I shouldn't have to see this, the pain, the struggle and despair of homeless people too. And from my way to work every day. I want my parents when they come visit to have a great.
Speaker 2: Experience, special place. This guy's name is Justin.
Speaker 3: Keller, justin mother f and kel.
Speaker 4: You can go try and find him on Twitter. He made his account private. You can also go try and find the company that he owns. It's called Commando dot Io. I would encourage anyone to go to this company's website and send a letter to the editor or whatever they have there. Don't know what the company does, but this guy has just has just made it complete full of himself.
Speaker 1: Because the thing is you can definitely, because definitely when I walk through New York City sometimes I think to myself, Wow, the homeless problem has gotten really bad. But from a place of what can we do to help? Not what can they do to help to get rid of these people, but what can we do and help so that way people are not falling into this trap?
Speaker 3: Over and over and over like, because.
Speaker 1: One thing I've learned from teaching financial education is that, first of all, one everyone does not have the same leg up, you know. So it's not that you just like to think to yourself that somehow you are in this position because you're just so smart.
Speaker 3: That's just not true.
Speaker 4: I work so hard. I got an education. Well, you know what, many people got in education and fell ill or had mental illness or fell on hard times, not because they were stupid or didn't work hard, just because life didn't right for.
Speaker 3: That exactly, you just didn't have the same opportunity.
Speaker 1: I can't tell you how many super smart kids I taught in Newark when I taught preschool, and they would tell me, like all the way to school, oh yeah, the dead body's still out there from last night. Or one little girls refused to speak for nearly a year because she had saw scene outside of her window a man shot point blank in the head and die in front of her. So she was so afraid to leave her house because she thought when you left your house, you died too.
Speaker 3: So what do you say to a girl like that? Pull yourself together? Three year old?
Speaker 2: High school?
Speaker 3: Exactly like you better learn in school, because your.
Speaker 4: School probably has different resources than a school that's probably a majority white and different part of town.
Speaker 2: It's just, I mean, this guy grew up.
Speaker 3: In I just don't see.
Speaker 1: And I get it because mister what's his name again, Justin Keller. So I get it that Justin Keller cannot see past his own privilege and his own whiteness and his own wealth to see. But at some point you have to realize. And that's the way the world works. To me, that's the beauty of life is that one way you're gonna learn one way or the other. And I had to learn even myself, like going and working where I worked in Newark, that you have to respect the people around you. Because I think he right there wrote somewhere that it's gonna be a revolution, and yes, let's hope they come for you first, mister Justin Keller.
Speaker 3: You know when there is a revolution that.
Speaker 4: Speaking remember the French revolution that didn't turn out so hot for the aristocrale exactly.
Speaker 1: The thing is, though, if you don't help in general, if you don't help bring up the general mass, then you can't continue to thrive. Do you think that people are gonna stand idly by while you eat and they starve.
Speaker 3: That's just not gonna happen.
Speaker 4: No fact that he just moved there three years ago, right, and he thinks this has been the worst it's ever been in all three years of his experience. San Francisco has been dealing with homelessness for decades, for decade decades, and these homeless people have more of a right to the city, I'd argue.
Speaker 2: Than you do.
Speaker 3: I guess it's just so frustrating.
Speaker 1: Like, you know, people act as if like, oh, gentrification, it's a good thing. Isn't the neighborhood better. It's not about that. It's that the neighborhood is better for you and no one else. That's what gentrification brings. Of course, we want the neighborhood to be better, but it shouldn't be better at the expense of like I can't live here now, like oh, we're going to clean things up, but hey, you who lived here forever, you can't benefit from things being better. That's the problem. That's why, justin. But you know what you know, I always say this, You are allowed to say whatever you want. But guess what, soa can other people. So I'm sure you're being dragged as rightfully. So I'm sure there's lots of people who agree with you because.
Speaker 4: The sick you know, this reminds me. And it's sick because I know people who would agree with them. You know, I used to work for Business Insider, and I worked for a great man.
Speaker 2: His name was Henry Blodgett.
Speaker 4: He was the editor in chief and I had a really great experience there. But while I was there, Henry wrote a blog post about and he would sometimes just write things. He thought he had gone to a fancy restaurant downtown. I think it was Balthazar, which is this like hot spot, hot for brunch or whatever, and he wrote an entire article about how he thought that they need to do away with bathroom attendants. Why do you need bathroom attendants? It's awkward, makes me feel weird. Why do I have to pay someone, you know, give a tip or whatever? And he went on and on and on, and you know, I'm sure he thought that he was in his right you know, frame or whatever he had to write opinion, and it was highly offensive. I'm just get personal. My father, for a long time has worked as a bathroom attendant at a nice restaurant. This is my dad and I wasn't always so proud of it, but my dad has done this forever, and he's really good at his job and he likes what he does. And I felt like by writing this article at the time, and by the way, I've told him this, so I haven't I'm not saying anything to you guys that I haven't said to Henry personally. I said that it really made me feel, you know, as a daughter of someone who's done that job and you feel like it's an honest day's work, Like it made me really feel like he was belittling someone, you know, if that's their way of making income, providing for their family, it was belittling that. And it was just you know, casting it all because it was simply an inconvenience for me, exactly, him.
Speaker 2: He who has privileged exactly. But there were a lot of people.
Speaker 4: For every person who was sort of like, you know, writing on this article, there were many many others who were like, oh my god, I know, I hate it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's so annoying.
Speaker 1: It's just so easy to like turn your nose up when you have had the opportunity to have better, you know. And so I mean one of to me one of the greatest gifts, I mean, because I was pretty for I mean, growing up, we were like broke, like you know, we lived in like I don't know, we just lived not well but well because my parents look after us.
Speaker 3: But like, you know, we didn't have a lot.
Speaker 1: But by the time I was really conscious of like kind of how we lived. My parents had gone to school, gotten their master's. You know, we lived in a nice neighborhood. But to me, one of the greatest gifts was me for me to then after school and graduating kind of going back to a similar neighborhood that I had first started with and working there for like ten years because I got like such a better scope of the world. It was like, okay, like I see the world of privilege. I had lived in the town. It was majority like people of wealth. It was like very little people of color, mostly Jewish, white town. You know, the best school systems. Honestly, everybody kind of went away to like the best schools. College was one of those things that like we had like ninety six percent college grade, you know, like entry rate. And then going to Newark and teaching there and kind of seeing like the difference and why not because these kids were not smarter, but really seeing how where you're born and the opportunities that you were born or not born into, how they played such.
Speaker 3: A pivotal role, and where you went and life because those kids were so smart.
Speaker 1: And I've taught preschool and taught in other districts and I'm like, yo, these kids are so smart.
Speaker 3: Where's the disconnect zip code? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then I then to see what they lived through. I remember at twenty two when I first started, I remember thinking Mandy.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, how did they deal? It was too much for me at twenty two. How does a three year and four year old deal?
Speaker 1: Like going just like I worked at the bottom of a project building, like the day care centers at the ground floor, and I would have to go upstairs to like go get crayons. We had like a closet on the third floor, and like walking just up the stairwell and seeing people smoke a crack pipe in the stairwell, and I'm thinking, I get to go home to my regular neighborhood. These kids have to come up the stairwell and see.
Speaker 3: This every day.
Speaker 1: Or hearing people curse people out all day long, or mental illness being just so rampant and drugs on drugs on drugs, and the dealers at the pimps and the prostitutes all day. Actually, I had to finally step back and say I can't do this anymore because it was bringing my spirit down. My boyfriend at the time told me, after a year, you're not the same Tiffany, like you used to be so happy, go lucky.
Speaker 3: What's going on?
Speaker 1: And I thought, wow, for me at twenty two, imagine a four year old and so it's just very and it's just so gray and ugly.
Speaker 2: Like I think, it's just this is important too.
Speaker 4: I think that they're there's so much to be said about people who know people from different walks of life are different. I think it's really important when we have kids to make sure that they have friends who are wealthy and friends who are poor, and friends who are different colors in them, and friends with a different circumstances, because you not just to look at them and say, ooh, look at that person and what they've been through, but to learn from them and to that's where empathy comes from, exactly. And I think if this guy had ever met in his life somebody who was worse off than him, and knew them on a personal level. He would never have written this, I think he would instead of complaining about it. Maybe he should complain, you know, maybe we should. I think he has a valid point. Yes, the San Francisco needs to help these people, but they need to help them for themselves, for the people's sake.
Speaker 3: Exactly, not for the rich people that are coming in.
Speaker 2: That's the difference, the.
Speaker 1: Fact that the point of view comes from like just a selfish place of like make it better so I can walk free and my mom and dad can visit me, no versus like, wow, there's so many homes. What can I do as an entrepreneur who has wealth, influence and connection to make other people's lives better? Not once does he mention that in here, And that says a lot about his character. What's his name again, Justin Keller?
Speaker 2: Justin Keller.
Speaker 4: You know what's kind of shitty is that there's a there's another Justin Keller on Twitter who also lives in the San Francisco area. And so I went to his Twitter account first thinking it was him, but he's actually gotten so much crap, and and he went and wrote a letter to the real Justin Keller discounting everything you said in being like I don't believe this guy believes and and yeah it's sad, but at least people are talking about it. I hope this guy, you know, I don't know what it's going to be like to work for this guy.
Speaker 1: I would not want to work for this commando commandio.
Speaker 2: Alrighty well, moving along.
Speaker 4: You know who always slays Cookie Darlin Cookie, Taraji p Henson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she does always lay.
Speaker 4: So what I love is that I've heard because I was watching all these interviews with Taraji and she was saying how much she really loves film and doing film, even though she does a TV show, and she's doing an amazing film. She's playing a African American astronaut with NASA, and the book is the movie is based on this book that came out just past September, which has been on my read list for the past few months and I haven't yet. It's called Hidden Figures, The Story of the African American Women who Helped Win the Space Race by Margot Lee Shutterley. So Taraji's playing this NASA math genius called Catherine Johnson. She was one of three black women. The other two were Dorothy Vaughn and Mary Jackson, who helped astronaut John Glenn with his space mission during the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 3: Ohay, it's cool.
Speaker 2: I've never I never heard of heard of that. And I used to want to be an astronaut.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, like hardcore hardcore until I was about thirteen, No, maybe sixteen, until I decided I really didn't like math that much. But my hero is Sally Henson. And this is a this is a this is huge. This is something that you never see. Yeah, and it's not a maid.
Speaker 2: Or a slave, yes, or hooker or stripper or an athlete.
Speaker 4: It's a really or big mom. Yeah, it's gonna be cool because how often do you see black women is kind of wrong. Now, that's awesome math genius black women. I don't have to see that.
Speaker 2: So go ahead to ROGI.
Speaker 3: What else were gonna talk about?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: One last thing I wanted to mention, so you know many Pakia.
Speaker 3: Yes, I heard about his tweets.
Speaker 2: So he not just tweets.
Speaker 4: So he he's like a politician in the Philippines really and he's running for office, yeah, congressman. And he was running for a seat in the Philippines Senate and he described he puts his big old foot in his mouth. Although he means it, he describes same sex marriage as in his language, the translation is worse than animals, and he was set it on video. The video went viral, and then he went so far as to like back it up on Instagram and basically say that he would rather follow the Bible, what the Lord says than what the flesh says, or something like that, which is you know a lot of people's opinions when they try and defend bigotrigue against LGBT couples. So Nike said, not today.
Speaker 3: Not today.
Speaker 4: They are yanking our sponsorship from Many Pacquiao, and I thought that was really dope, Like Nike is a huge the biggest sports brand in the world probably and Many Pacquiao probably just lost millions and millions and millions and millions.
Speaker 3: Who's the other guy?
Speaker 1: Who's the Floyd Mayweather was like, you won't be I won't be losing that endorsement. He made sure to tweet like I believe that people should do what they want, and I am winful.
Speaker 4: He should not be talking though, because doesn't he beat people, doesn't he beat women? And he hasn't lost his sponsorship. So let's talk about how it's worse to you know, I don't see how that's different. Like I feel like you are, you know the same thing with Mike Tyson. When you beat women, it's somehow okay, justifiable or like okay to get over more so than if you, you know, speak ill of other races or sexualities and such that it's interesting.
Speaker 1: I would both get to the black girl, brown, break brown, break, what you gonna do?
Speaker 3: What you're gonna do when we break on you. I just want you to know that Mandy did like the most awesome like shoulders me, Oh did I? I didn't even know. Yeah, I feel like we like that.
Speaker 1: We're like the uh, I don't know, like one of those like the something something sisters or like the uh.
Speaker 2: The money sister. Right, do you know that?
Speaker 4: So you know when you were a little kid and you I don't know if you I used to be painfully shy about dancing in front of people. I go to all my little school dances and just like sit on the wall. But I'd be dying to dance because like I love that. As soon as I hit I don't know what age it was, I just stopped caring and now I just dance anywhere and I get yeah, and I I feel like maybe it's because I started doing zoomba in college, so I just like feel the music whenever. I love doom but so much. But yeah, that was like the biggest uh. That was a big hurdle for me to get over. It's like that fear of dancing in front of people.
Speaker 3: I think most people are like afrazy dance in front of people when they're.
Speaker 2: Younger, even Nigerian's don't you guys say.
Speaker 1: Well, especially me because I didn't think I had much rhythm and I realized.
Speaker 2: That, Oh I didn't say I was good.
Speaker 1: I just you know, the thing is I have rhythm, but I don't have technique. That's what's missing. Yeah, I don't have to and so they're like with Nigerian dancing, there's like even though it's like just this natural dance, but still there's a certain movement to the hips and that I don't quite have. But I mean, like I can, I have rhythm, but just I can't do all that fancy. Like my sister Lisa, she is amazing. Every times she dances were just like fight, I'll sit down watching I.
Speaker 2: Hate It's like you go to karaoke and someone gets up and they really can.
Speaker 3: Sing and like, I know right, You're like, so.
Speaker 4: Why am I here for my moment? Well, I I am really bad at salsa dancing, but I love it. I will step on everyone's whenever, I know, because I look like I could dance salsae and I'm like really excited to be there.
Speaker 2: So people always ask me to dance stuff.
Speaker 4: One used to go out a lot and it was I can see the cloud on their faces as soon as I started dancing.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, it's going to be difficult.
Speaker 3: They're like, she looks like she could be spitish. I saw the shoulders shimmy, and she's.
Speaker 2: Also advertising it is. But I love it.
Speaker 4: I love It's like ten percent talent ninety percent enthusiasm.
Speaker 2: That's what dancing is. It is I digress. This is brown break time.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is brown break.
Speaker 2: Do you want to go first?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: So I was walking here and said you were excited about your brown break.
Speaker 3: Well, I was excited only because you told me you have a solution, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I was walking here and I was walking here and my pack underwear was riding up my behind as it always does.
Speaker 3: And I was like, great, you know where and.
Speaker 2: I say it again, your pack underwear.
Speaker 3: So I call it pack underwear because you buy it a pack some people. I'm like, people don't buy you no Hanes.
Speaker 4: I didn't know people under the age of forty five bus underbar pack. It's like past the age of thirteen and under the age of forty five, you should not be buying your underwear.
Speaker 3: In a pack. I didn't know. So, like they never fait so one.
Speaker 1: You either have the grandma it it goes up to your navel and just like you know, it almost looks like, you know, like the sixties bathing suits that are like really cute, highwaisted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it looks like over the belly, yes, and so it either looks like that or.
Speaker 1: Or you look like a six year old because they're like, you know, they actually have like designs and.
Speaker 3: Stuff on them or unicorns. Yes and so, and it just never fits my butt.
Speaker 1: So it's either way too big for my butt or it's literally like slicing my cheeks in half. And so I just never can find the white pack underwear. And then Annie told me that there's my problem right there.
Speaker 2: Stop buying your underwear and a pack ladies.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, but what so what I don't want? Necessarily?
Speaker 1: I feel like either I have pack underwear or I have like my lacy numbers for what I want to get sassy, you know, so what's in between?
Speaker 4: I go to department stores my favorite so I used to work at Coals and I hold I hold a tiny burning candle for Coals in my heart. I just love it. They have such great deals. So I go to Coals and they have a great intimate section and I get the Vera Wang. I love her simply, Vera. I love her line of underwear. She has like more of like the sexy stuff, but she also has the right regular cotton underwear okay, and then made inform. It's not a pack, but there's three on a hangar okay, difference like the grown up pack.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 4: So that's what I get in a full coverage because I feel like there was a point in my life when I was in high school and I don't know why I was, but I would go to like RU twenty one and I'd buy the dollar thongs and then they would just sit in my drawer. I used to have this big wad I like tangled up, never worn maybe, but once they had like little things dangling from them, Like yes, I was a virgin until like how long I did not need to be have dangling dollar signs for my undermind, like thongs. Nobody wanted to see me thought they always rode up the back. Yes, they made.
Speaker 2: Like a line in your ass you can see through your jeans and your dress.
Speaker 1: Never because I'm like, I'm gonna pay underwear to ride up. They're kind of but I have You're paying for a wedgie basically. And so I had those same things because I would get it from Joyce Leslie. Did you worm a Joyce Leslie? It's like rainbow?
Speaker 3: Okay, well like that kind of I get it.
Speaker 1: And so Joyce Leslie used to have, like for like a dollar, they would have like you know, like thongs, all this lace and like all this beating.
Speaker 3: So and it just seemed like a good idea at the time until you put them on, You're like, but why because it's cute. Yeah, But now I'm like I do.
Speaker 1: I'm wanting like day to day underwear, So you know, I have my sexy longerie kind of underwear, but I'm like, no, I want regular dated and I just thought they came in a pack.
Speaker 3: But I'm seeing now that no department store is kind of Macy's.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's near you.
Speaker 4: The may the mall Am invitory secret is ridiculous and there, and they're cotton underwear sort of like stretches out of it.
Speaker 1: And it starts to like it starts the elastic goes out of it quickly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I haven't been burned by coals. I would say the lazy stuff like when you pull you pull your underwear up, so she got a booty to pull up over the lace can like rip. And that's my big problem, like all my underwear that's super cute and in the gap to anthropology urban maybe not urban. Don't go to American Apparel. If you got a butt, just don't go.
Speaker 1: Don't go.
Speaker 2: I have any sort of womanly shape, don't shop at American apparel.
Speaker 3: It's not before us.
Speaker 2: It's not have you.
Speaker 1: Ever gone to like where's that place? Is it Norde Drums where they do the brofit? Where's that place that everybody's I've never been fitted for a bra? Okay, I think it's.
Speaker 4: I know, Oprah said, I should right, did you watch that? Do you remember the bra episode with Oprah?
Speaker 1: No? But I heard that, But like they're like sixty percent of women are not wearing a bra that fits them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean like maybe more. But what was crazy is you would she would bring on someone with like normal sized boobs and they would think that they were like a B or C, which I'm like a bee or whatever, and they'd be a size.
Speaker 1: F yes, and I al don't understand with somebody, Oh I know who, well, I won't say her name, but it was a friend of mine who said that to me. She was like, I think she told me she went to Nord Drumps and she got like fitted and she just assumed she's a D. And meanwhile, if you see her, her chest looks like like she's she's got like a nice frame, you know, she doesn't have a huge chest. And they were like, you're like a She's like what, But she was like, it's the best fitting bra. She ended up getting a braw and she could not believe it, like, wow, that my chest is bigger than like her cup size is way bigger than she thought.
Speaker 2: I bet that she paid it pretty penny.
Speaker 3: Yeah she did.
Speaker 1: She said, but then she also, you know, I'm going to find out what it is so we can share it next week. She actually told me where you can find the same bra that she got there for literally like half the price online and once you know your size, you can kind of just go ahead and but I'm gonna find it.
Speaker 3: We'll share that because everybody needs a good bras.
Speaker 4: I feel like you can be sixty five or forty five or twenty five women. It's hard, it is. It's hard chopping for bras. It's never fun, and I haven't.
Speaker 2: Done it in quite a while.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm wearing the same raggedy yes. I maybe you know what I did earlier this year is I I cleaned out my underwear drawer and I was like, listen, be real, you bought this lazy thing. You're never gonna wear it, you never have worn it. And I threw out like four or five I donated like four or five lacey because that I've never worn.
Speaker 1: Because sometimes you're just like I mean, I honest see him just like a regular. I mean, I have some lazy stuff just for the but like not to wear because you're not gonna wear under a shirt where you can see that you know, it doesn't make any sense. And then I have like target bras that are like, honestly, I'm always so embarrassed.
Speaker 2: Whenever you get your pack under brow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, basically, so.
Speaker 1: I always feel embarrassed, Like you know you have sometimes you do like a TV segment and they have to like unzip your dress and like clip like your oh oh yeah, always like oh my god, I always forget that, Like I want to tell the guy.
Speaker 3: It's usually like some guy, some older white guy who's like forty five.
Speaker 1: He's probably looking at my raggedy bra like we're like it's hanging out by like one one looper, and I'm like, so, while you're back there, don't don't don't.
Speaker 3: Take mention, make mention of my judge, Yeah, my raggedy bra.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So I'm just I'm tired of raggedy underwear and I'm ready to become an adult and have a better experience because I remember and I won't say who because you guys like she's kind of like semi well known in the financial industry. Like we we roomed together at fenn Kind at the Financial Blockers conference, and we were getting dressed and I was thoroughly ashamed. She had like such a nice underwear. It wasn't like sexy underwear. But I was like, hey, friends, she's a friend of mine. What the hell is it how you look on the day to day because it wasn't even a special day.
Speaker 3: The I remember being like I actually went to the bathroom to chain because I was like, you would not see me her underwear was, so I was like, is that how you normally look? Is this Are you going somewhere? She was like now, And I was like, I'll be right back. And I feel like you have.
Speaker 4: To invest in the undergardments because they make you feel good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am, so next time when I come, I'm I'm gonna be I'm gonna be like, hey, manny feeling really good.
Speaker 4: If I'm if my underwear don't fit, I'm having a bad day. Like there was one day I'm not even kidding. I bought underwear that were like a little too tight in the thigh and then you sit down all day and they got Yes, they cut like a dagger, and I literally went to the bathroom and I ripped them, Yeah, ripped them almost off.
Speaker 3: I was like, I just can't do no. But you're right though. Yeah, so yeah, no more granny panties for me.
Speaker 2: Oh you're graduating.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm a big girl now finally at thirty five thirty six. Wow, old, you're.
Speaker 4: Not that old, I know, but you're too old for pack under. What's your what I'll say, well, my brown break. Well, there's kind of like two and one. One is procrastination. Okay, this is a personal like, uh, failing of my own is that I procrastinate. I procrastinated it since I don't know, I think I even came out of the womb late. I and I feel like a lot of journalists procrastinating. We're always on deadline, we always pushing to the last deadline. But recently procrastinating has like been really just like making my life so difficult. And I've been sleeping past my alarm and I've been like and I'm doing it to myself, and I'm like, God, why am I so behind?
Speaker 3: God?
Speaker 4: I just hate being at work late all the time. It's because I'm procrastinating. And I decided that this weekend, on a weekend, and I haven't done this in a long time, I'm actually gonna do work for the week ahead on a Sunday and just like get my shit together because going on vacation next Saturday. I'm so excited about finally it's been almost a year and I just want to feel a little bit better.
Speaker 2: So I am making it my bit.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna try and getting up, try and get up an hour earlier this week to get ahead of things, get to the office early. But the thing is, like I do this maybe once every six months. I'm like, I just got to get to work on time, and I'm doing I do it for like maybe a month, and I just continue back in.
Speaker 2: My old ways.
Speaker 4: So this is a struggle for me procrastination. I'm sure you guys can really out there. And secondly is my taxes, which kind of go hand in hand. I'm not really procrastinating. What I've been procrasting with my taxes is like getting my life together and hiring a CPI hiring a tax person. And this is a very first year. I found my tax.
Speaker 2: Guy, Paul.
Speaker 3: Did you what were you doing before.
Speaker 2: I was doing Turbo tax or H and R block or whatever it was.
Speaker 3: Yah, h and R block. You guys would just leave your fun there.
Speaker 2: So I mean it was fine, Like I mean whatever, it worked for me.
Speaker 4: But this year I had things that are more complicated, and last year, techn I had things that ever complicated. Last year too, I ended up owing a little bit, and I was like, I probably shouldn't have owed money last year.
Speaker 2: So I had my friend Paul. I mean, I hope he's be my friend.
Speaker 4: I'm going literally as soon as we wrap up here, I'm going and taking all my little tax forms and my expenses and going to the tax guy and hopefully it'll be a good experience.
Speaker 3: Yes, tax is honestly, let me tell you.
Speaker 1: So when I first started, it was easy when I was a teacher because I loved my tax guy, because I came to him because I had touch great things about him, and we had like so many mutual friends in common. And I came to him when I was still teaching and he was like, you don't need me. He was like, honestly, your return is so simple. So and I liked that about him, So that, like was one of the first reasons why I was like.
Speaker 3: Oh, I like her.
Speaker 2: He was like, don't bore me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he told me used trouble tax. My dad actually is a CPA and accountant. My dad's like I told you but you know, you don't listen to that. And so I was doing terrible tax and then Carlos told me, when things get more complicated, then come see me because I want you to you know, I want to make sure that you maximize you know, what you get back. And so when I started my business a budganista, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 3: I was the worst. For two years, I did not do my taxes because I didn't even know I had. I had no point of reference.
Speaker 1: I had never you know, I had never had a business before, so I not I had not collected what I spent money on. I had not collected what I even made. That was my biggest fear. I didn't even know what I made. I'm like, well, how where we're gonna pay taxes on? I had no record. And so Carlos is just the best. He's like he will like make home visits. So I was said, shopping at like Shopwright and we live in like in the same neighborhood. And two years he had been like calling me, like texting me, like come see me, come see me, and I'd be like, noor, yes, he caught me at shop. I was like, got you, yeah, and he told me. He said, Tippy, I did your taxes. I'm like, how I've given you nothing, and he was like, no, that I didn't know this. But in July of like the tax year that you're working on. So in July of twenty sixteen, he can go to and look and go to the irs and say, hey, can you pull up everything that Tiffany made, like because people were report, hey, I paid Tiffany, So he was able to pull up what I.
Speaker 3: Made, oh, you know.
Speaker 1: And so that's how exactly I didn't know that because I thought I was like, I don't have I don't know what to show him because I didn't have anything. So he was able to do that. And I wasn't able to really make many deductions because I didn't have any proof of anything. But I had honestly not made much. So I think I owed like two thousand dollars each year, so like four or five thousand dollars, So it wasn't so bad, you know. And then after that he was like, you need to get a bookkeeper. And so that was one of the biggest investments I made twenty fifteen. In January, I hired a bookkeeper and it was the best thing ever, because I actually just saw Carlos on Friday and he was like, look at you. You're two years early according to your schedule. But I'm not gonna lie because you worked. Because I work for myself, I owe so much money because I don't you know, you don't pay or I wasn't paying ahead of time. But he told me that that's the last year I can do that too, that this year I have to start paying quarterly, he said, because you're actually like once you make over a certain amount, the government will start to find you by not paying regularly.
Speaker 3: But I'm telling you, when I had to.
Speaker 1: Write that check for my taxes, it literally what I used to make a year as a teacher is what I paid in taxes.
Speaker 2: And I was just saying, well, Sam, what bitch better half his money?
Speaker 3: What Uncle Sam is gangs? That's the real og.
Speaker 4: People are so afraid of taxes. It is they you know, I deal with my dad every year. He's I don't know, I don't want to get in my dad's tax history, but uh, there's like a lot of fear around it, and you know they don't want to know the same thing with checking like basic finances, people don't want to confront, like, if they haven't paid their taxes in a couple of years, filed in a couple of years.
Speaker 3: You're scary.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you may have earned so little that you don't even have to file taxes. There's always different, but I'd say so. The question I get a lot of times is how do you find a tax person?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I found mine like a really, I mean not the best way. I didn't.
Speaker 4: I don't have any friends who have a tax person. The one friends, well, I have some who.
Speaker 2: Have text people in other states.
Speaker 4: I know I have you, but I wanted someone close by, either near my office in Manhattan or in Queen's where I live. And I just went on Yelp and went on Yelp, and I found a highly rated text guy, and I went to his website. I checked all his credentials. I went, I did a walk by of his office to make sure he had a storefront. And the reviews were fine, and I took a gamble, and I'll let you know next week if it works out. And one thing people ask too is how much do they charge? I think it depends on how complicated your taxes are. I'm single, I just my income. It's a little complicated this year because I have some investments and stuff, and but for me, it's only two hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 4: All right, so now it's time for my favorite segment, Tips Tips.
Speaker 3: I don't know why I like to say that.
Speaker 2: I like it. It's good.
Speaker 4: So today's question comes from Marquita. Thank you for emailing us. Marquita, she says, Hey, ladies, first time. I love your podcast. Thank you very much. She's following Tiffany's Live Free, All the Live Ritual challenge. She's too focused on saving to get the name right. So she has the problem right now with her husband. She is currently trying to purchase their They're both currently trying to purchase their first home. They have two children under.
Speaker 2: The age of four. Four. I can't speak today.
Speaker 4: Let me start over, Marquita, She says. I'm going hard and trying to stack up our money and cutting costs and areas where it needs to be cut. My husband does not share the same ambition as I. Problem number one and he is not understanding that you have to sacrifice in order to obtain and maintain certain things in life. This is really putting a strain in our marriage because it's because he is incapable of discussing money matters without turning it into a big argument. I recently suggested we get rid of our digital cable and downgrade to basic cable or looking to purchase sing a streaming stick like Roku or Amazon Fire. This has caused a huge disagreement as he does not want to get rid of cable or even downgrade. I need help. How can I communicate this information or trying to get him to understand that, because of our income and other bills that we have to pay in all caps, that this is one step in reaching our homeowner goals. Thank you so first, Marquit.
Speaker 1: Degre Yes, girl, you, me and Mandy have been here, right, and sometimes we're still here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So we talked about this, like I think the first episode, so right, We've.
Speaker 2: Talked about like what it's like to do couples and money.
Speaker 1: So Mandy's recently engaged. But I'm sure you know because you listen and you know me and Superman we live together, have been together two years. And I'm gonna say we're recently engaged too, because I'm putting it out there.
Speaker 3: You are now you shall say face.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying next I always stop him, like, so I can't wait for that ring, and he's liked, you know, women ask men to get married too.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, I don't know what they do.
Speaker 2: It's coming, so Marquita, so to me.
Speaker 1: So when I first started with drug because obviously I with Superman, I you know, I teach financial education.
Speaker 3: I'm the budgetista. And it was.
Speaker 1: Hard at first because he would always tell me everyone's not a budgetnista. And he was probably similar to your husband, like downgrading cable rather die.
Speaker 3: And just was a big spender.
Speaker 1: And so what I had to because in the beginning I was just a big nag and that's probably what you sound like, you know. So what I learned was to try to find some space in which he was okay with saving. So for example, like I would travel a lot, and he wanted to start coming, you know, and so I said, oh, you know, we should open up a savings account online we use ally, so that way we can put like a little bit of money there every month, so next time we if you want to go on vacation, we can just pay for that of the account.
Speaker 3: He liked that idea.
Speaker 1: That was like the very first thing that he was on board with and so we started putting like twenty five bucks a month apiece in that savings account, and we opened a joint savings account, and then all of a sudden, the savings account after us being together for two years. He said the other day, like, you know what, that should be her home account. And that came from him. So I had to learn to kind of like get in where he felt comfortable and massaged my way through right and Mandy, when you first started talking about money.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't feel like it's fair for me to compare myself to Marquita, because it's a whole different situation for her. She's been married for five years and they have two kids under the age of four, and it's really it. I can't even imagine how tough it must be for you, Marquita, because your goals aren't in line. You have a family with this person, but he doesn't want the same things you do financially. It sounds like you really really want a house and he maybe isn't so into it. You sort of call that year goal, and I feel like that's for this whole everything is stemming from this disagreement you're fighting over the Amazon fires. Versus cable because your goals are out of line, and I think that's where you have to sit down together and talk about what are your goals. He may be fine with how things are. You want more, and he's either going to be supportive of that or he's not going to be supportive.
Speaker 3: I'd be curious to know does he want to own a home?
Speaker 2: I don't think it doesn't sound like he does.
Speaker 1: Well, that doesn't necessarily mean like when I first met Superman, I remember saying I wanted to buy a home, and he was like adverse to that, like, woll what for? And so to me, it's just about constantly talking. But I had, I honestly had to learn to stop to talk and listen to actually have a conversation. It was more like I was always preaching, you know, and I don't know that that's your issue more quita, But I was always preaching and he was always like on the other end, like here she goes again. So I had to finally learn how to actually have a conversation. And a conversation is I speak. When I stop speaking, I'm actually listening. I'm not just waiting to speak again, listening and ingesting adjusting, what I'm going to say based upon what you're actually saying and compromising. So in the beginning, it was fine, I'll safification. Then it was okay, you know what, I want to put money? So he has a daughter, she's eight, and I want to put money in Supergirl's account.
Speaker 3: So I was like, you know what, you should.
Speaker 1: Go to your to your job and tell them to split your paycheck. Some of it is going to go in Supergirls account. And you know the money that we said we're gonna put in our joint travel account, why don't you just split that in our paycheck too. So that was like, that was like a huge It took about a year in and that was huge, Like, Okay, he gets paid, some of the money automatically goes into a Supergirl's account and some into our.
Speaker 3: Account, and so that was huge.
Speaker 1: And we wrapped out like that for like six months, and then we just began talking more and we started sitting down and writing down plans, and I started asking him what do you want? I remember the biggest, biggest, like kind of like not fight, but he really wants like he's really into cars, you know, and he wanted to like lease and buy way Before I thought we could afford it, and so it was like it was a battle because it does not make financial sense for us to get a car. How you know, you're just gonna get into more debt. You already have debt just to get a car. And so that was a battle. And now this is the year, you know, we can afford to get a car. And I told him, because you know, he was patient. You know that he can pick like what that car is going to be, you know, And I don't know. It's not easy, and it doesn't mean that your marriage or whatever is not going to work. I just think that you have to find a common ground before you can start helping to shift him towards some other way. That really is critical of finding that one common point that you could both be on the same page with, you.
Speaker 4: Know, right, I think the turning point for us one thing that we did so actually, for a story I was writing, I went to this seminar for couples, and of course I dragged him along because I wanted to try it out and then write about it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't helpful.
Speaker 4: It was a seminar put on by the Society of Grown Ups, which is this society of grown ups they do a bunch of different It's based out of Boston, and they do a bunch of these like little dinner parties with young people and they talk about everything from how to travel on a budget to how to buy your first home. And this particular dinner was about couples and finances and it was about maybe like eight couples including us, sitting around and having like a nice dinner and wine and they had drinks. But before we even did this, you have to go on to Syday grown Ups dot Com and you you both as a couple, fill out this like timeline thing where you put they had like a little icon for a house and for marriage and for kids or whatever, these goals, travel, retirement, and then you put them in line with the year that you expect to accomplish at or whatever whatever. And for him and I to sit next to each other, that was the first time I knew that he wanted to get married within the next year or two. And I was like, you know, and I was the first time we had I mean, we kind of had an idea we wanted to take that step. But for me to see his timeline, it was eye opening to me good and it was because we used this tool. And I mean you don't have to use the tool. It's if you want to. It's a scie Dave grown ups dot com. They probably still have it up there for couples.
Speaker 2: And it's free.
Speaker 4: You don't have to like take their class, which is cheap by the way, But I would say you don't have to use this tool, but you can sit down and one sort of goal at a time and and try not. I know, it's really hard when you know you're right and you know you got to cut back on that cable and you sit down, you're like, let's talk about this. We got to buy a house. What are you going to do to help? Like, you have to really try and be calm, ease him into it. Do not be condescending or patronizing even though you know you're right, or.
Speaker 3: Really strong arming, like men don't want to be strong.
Speaker 4: Armed, yeah, or don't don't don't threaten him, like if you don't, then I'm going to or you know, be make it a negative thing. Just find out when he expects to buy a house, and then maybe it's a point where maybe what would help you guys is once you sort of get an idea of your goals, perhaps bringing in someone else like a financial advisor, or like a one one time meeting with the financial expert. Who can going to be the bad.
Speaker 1: Guy or just I get in the and also too, like I think also I always say like find the find his not his weak link, but like find the one thing that moves him. You know, everybody always has something like like for Superman it was his daughter. Like if I was saying, hey, you should be saving money for your daughter, there was never any pushback for that because that's a find a button, yes, And so I was like, oh God, just hold your kids.
Speaker 2: Up in front of him and be like these are your children, where.
Speaker 3: Are they going to sleep right?
Speaker 1: Or like you know, or just whatever that is, and then use that as the entrance in. And then too, I also learned because sometimes this is what I'll get from women. So I'm not saying this is what you're doing, Marquita, but I would teach a class. I remember it was a young couple and they were kind of going through this talking about like.
Speaker 3: What do we do? He doesn't want to save. I want to save.
Speaker 1: And as I dug a little deeper, I realized she was pushing too much so I said, you know, are the bills paid?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Has he set aside for a retirement, like, does he have money coming out? She said yes, and he's sitting there like yep. I'm like, you know, it's at least some money being a set aside for some savings, maybe not as much as you like, she said yes, I said it.
Speaker 3: So he has the three core components.
Speaker 1: So let's not act like he's not doing anything right, right, Yeah, you know, like acknowledge the fact that retirement bills, savings at least, even if it's small, those things are happening.
Speaker 3: And then from there, I was like, you know, let him rock.
Speaker 1: Out there, and then you can push in one direction like okay, so instead of twenty five bucks a month, let's do thirty five. Then, you know, a few months later, let's do fifty. And I told her too, is that if he agrees to that fifty, let him live all the other cuttings and that no, no, why, like everybody's not you. I have to finally learn that from myself. Everyone is not a budgetize to everyone is not. If Superman is paying his bills, if he has money set aside for retirement, and he's in putting money in the savings accounts. Well day if he wants to. We have full cable. I've never had a cable before where we have full When I say full cable everything, but you know what those other things are taken care of. So I'm like, everybody can't live at your schedule and pace. As long as those core thinks they're being handled, then that's what I would focus on.
Speaker 3: All I do is when when win, no matter.
Speaker 2: What, got money on my mind and I never give up.
Speaker 1: Yes, well you never came with the second line. I didn't even know the second line?
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: Did I say it right?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just don't even know, but it's right now. Many did Many did the Black Girl head roll just so you know.
Speaker 3: She said.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, when win win, So I hope that you well, I don't know. I won't say I hope, but I watched some of the Grammys and I.
Speaker 3: Was bored for those of it.
Speaker 1: But Kendrick Lamar, first of all, congratulations for winning, right because he won more than one when he won three, which is.
Speaker 3: Which is well deserved. Obviously.
Speaker 4: You know who else one just real quick to see McLaurin the woman I saw perform at from Valentine's Day. She wanted Grammy for Best Jazz Album. Okay, check it out for One to Love Okay.
Speaker 1: So, but his performance was just it just was so in alignment with the Kendrick Lamar that you know we have come to I have come to love and admire, and it just spoke like volumes and it just was so well done.
Speaker 3: And the imagery.
Speaker 2: Yea hand cuffs.
Speaker 4: Then they brought out like the traditional what were they the African I think drummers and dancers and the fire burning.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then at the end when it was like comptent on Africa and it just was win on win on win on win.
Speaker 4: I said, yes, yes, yes, I saw someone tweet or say on Facebook that this was peak Black History months. Yes, from Kendrick to Beyonce to Black Lives Matter.
Speaker 1: Did you see like the people like the audience. Did you see like some of there was like funny memes of like people in the audience. Nine brown people in the audience were like perplex like.
Speaker 3: Those were.
Speaker 1: Adele.
Speaker 2: Adele gave him a shout out at the end. Oh, poor Adele.
Speaker 3: I know I heard about that. I didn't watch it.
Speaker 2: I watched it.
Speaker 4: It was horb No, it was the microphone fell on top of the piano during her singing and she froze. She could have like fixed it or stopped it, but she said she was just like she just froze on TV. So she just kept going and the pitch was all off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then she just you know that again.
Speaker 2: She called out Kendrick. So I love you Kendrick lamar.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: But you know what I love about Adele.
Speaker 1: It's like, even if she was pitched off, let's be real, she can blow Like no one's gonna be like, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know if a duck can sing.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's not like Rihanna, who you're like, well, don't come back to me, Rihanna stands.
Speaker 4: If Rihanna holds a pitch, then we are like impressed.
Speaker 1: Yes, but with Adll, Okay, you had it off day, but we all know that you have an amazing voice.
Speaker 3: Though so much pressure on her, I know, but I just you know what, I just love about her. Her personality just seems so like regular and night, doesn't. She just seem so nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would definitely want to like have a cup of tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for martini and whenever someone tries to like pit her again someone else, She's like, Beyonce, Yeah, she's actually I think she's amazing. She just I've never heard her just like be mean.
Speaker 2: She has no reason.
Speaker 4: I feel like when you're at her level, when people are at that level, there's no like, there's a reason why they're not talking about it when else they don't have to, you know, to people who.
Speaker 2: Are talking smack about it.
Speaker 4: Even mister Kanye, who thinks that his doesn't singing, he spends a lot of time talking trash about other people other people.
Speaker 3: And meanwhile, I don't even know how this new album have you? Have you heard it?
Speaker 2: I've heard it's really good, but I haven't listened yet. I'm so dumb. I mean, I love his music.
Speaker 3: I do, but at the same time that's a problem.
Speaker 1: But you know what, though, a good friend of his, who was his friend for a while said, actually that Kanye really does need professional help.
Speaker 3: But I'm like, I think we kind of knew that, But no, his friend was like, no, not even in a.
Speaker 2: He's going maybe since his mother died, he's just like lost his mind.
Speaker 1: And you know what, though Kanye might have had an undiagnosed mental illness that has only been aggravated by fame and loss of yep and loss, and you know what I mean. And so because he does not seek Yeah, I was gonna say that, but I didn't even want to give them that.
Speaker 2: I don't know who's crazier.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: He makes Kim and the family look the same. The family is very like, they're very regularly tight knit. I'll give them that, like they support each other, but like he's making them look feel regular.
Speaker 3: The fact that you can make the kardash look like regular people. Yeah, like you're the crazy one, Kane, Like I'm worried.
Speaker 2: For North, Yes, for real, she's gonna be insane.
Speaker 4: No, I think Beyonce and just like make her big blue Ivy stepsister and just like adopt her.
Speaker 3: I was gonna run away from home like I'm here, I'm here in.
Speaker 4: The private jets. She's gonna take the jets leave. Oh God, So what's your win? My win for this week? It's a it's a it's a book. Uh, it's a book recommendation and a win all tied together. I have been finding it really hard to find some time to read books lately, and I've had this one on my desk. It's called The Year of Yes by Shonda Rhymes, and I've just kind of been putting it off for two reasons. One, I felt like I knew it was. What it was going to say is like.
Speaker 2: Be open to opportunity, improve yourself. You know you can always do better.
Speaker 4: And two it was just the fact that I hadn't had time I like sit down and actually read something that I wanted to read for a little while since Christmas. Really when I had time off and I finally said I want to read this, and I downloaded the audiobook because I listened to podcasts, I listened to music on my headphones. I was like, I'll download the audiobook and it's amazing. It is the best and it's about a seven hour long audiobook, and I'm I have an hour or so left and I started on Monday.
Speaker 2: She's the way that she writes. First of all, it's not the.
Speaker 4: Self help book like you would think it would be. It's not like she is saying and on day one, here's what you're going to do. It's really her journey. And she came from a place of owning Thursday night television being like the most all these accolades coming her way for you know, revolutionizing quote unquote the way that people look on television and the characters that she creates and writing these three shows, running these three shows at the pinnacle of success for her, and she says she had never been more unhappy in her entire life. She was the heaviest she'd ever been in her weight. She had completely isolated herself from any and all social ati. She always had excuses not to go out, and it's really her her literal.
Speaker 2: Year of yes.
Speaker 4: She one day when she was at her sister's house for Thanksgiving, her sister, she has got her sister for Thanksgiving, and she's talking about all these invitations she's gotten, goays, awards and these dinners and stuff, and her sister looks at her and.
Speaker 2: Says, you know what, you say no to everything.
Speaker 4: And you know how when people tell you stuff for a long time, but just like this, all of a sudden, the one time you really hear it. And so she really heard it, and she realized that she had to change, and so she spent said the next year saying yes to everything.
Speaker 2: That freaked her out.
Speaker 4: So and it helped me realize all the because I've grown to love Seanda this year, because she's been out there. I've seen her and Jimmy Kimmel. I saw her give that speech at the Human Rights Campaign. I saw her give the speech of the Women of Hollywood Hollywood Reporter Awards. I saw her with that amazing commencement speech she gave for the Duke or Sorry Dartmouth last Summer, All or Not last Summer. This was two summers ago. Now, the year of Yes. All of that happened in the year of Yes.
Speaker 3: Oh, I want to I want to read her book now.
Speaker 4: It's really good. And if you've ever been like Shells, she calls it the f O D. That's what she calls herself. It's called first Only stands for first only Different, And that's how she felt being, you know, one a few black one of like the only black kids in the school, one of the few women, let alone black women at the writer's table in Hollywood. First only Different, like the characters on her show, Carrie Washington being the first only black woman to really run to star on a show in like thirty years on network television. So the book and it's not just about you know, working through and saying yes to all these sort of like promotional things, but she talks about being a little girl and growing up being like different. She would just play in the pantry and write stories and then you know, finding her tribe finally, like she had me in tears, you know, And I want to listen to it now. It's it's an amazing and I would really I would recommend the audiobook because I just the way that she talks. She really talks in her real voice. You feel like she's sitting there, I want to just telling you her life.
Speaker 3: You listen to the audio on like what your phone or your.
Speaker 4: So I have an app called Audible, okay, and I mean if you go to audible dot com you can sign up for a free thirty day trial to give you a free download and then she has to cancel it afterwards.
Speaker 3: Audible needs to be a sponsor. No, it's sincerely because we have like our book.
Speaker 2: Oh Audible they do they do U.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they do Audible. So if anybody works at Audible knows Audible. You know what. Actually I lived down the street from Audible.
Speaker 2: That's right, just stop on by.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey, can I sit the CEO real quick? So we've got this little podcast. It's doing good.
Speaker 1: I'd love to because we love reading over here. So we have to get back to our book suggestions we do.
Speaker 4: So here's my official book suggestion. You're Yes by Shonda Rhymes. And it's short too, even if you don't want to do the audiobook. It's maybe a few hundred pages. Okay, excellent book, like and I haven't really cried it a book, and I feel like I've become kind of cynical. That's one of the reasons they didn't want to read the book in the first place. But she really she makes everything so real. At one point she's telling you how bad as she is. The other time she's telling you how she's sitting on a bed eating a hole in tirebox at thin mints and popcorn and wine and just like sobbing and watching Doctor Who.
Speaker 2: Like she's real.
Speaker 4: It's a real, real, raw, raw, raw story. And I've I've been that person so many times. And if you ever have, like, if you've ever had the dark twisty time in your life, yes, you'll really it'll resonate with it.
Speaker 1: And sometimes it's dark twisty times come when on the outside it looks the best isn't that crazy. I can't tell you how many times when people will be like, oh my god, I remember like this year was pretty was pretty good. But I remember before i'd met Superman or before we started dating, it was like New Year's and I was in my room like bawling because it had been like the best year I had ever ever had.
Speaker 3: Everything looked amazing from the outside, and I was.
Speaker 1: In my room like my life sucks, yeah, And I just remember being like, what the hell I'm the loneliest. I feel so isolated. I feel like nobody really cares about Tiffany, like not me personally, you know. I just felt like, how can everything look so great on the outside, all these accomplishments, and yet my life sucks. And I just remember crying myself to sleep on New yeark being like I can't live another year like this.
Speaker 3: And then that was the next year that I was.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm going to make a conscious effort not to be like I don't know, just like to live this like solitary life that's just about business.
Speaker 3: And will you.
Speaker 2: Said no to dark time?
Speaker 4: Yes, Seana is all about it's a choice coming out of darkness. Some people have a really hard time depression.
Speaker 2: It's real. It is real, and some people have they need help.
Speaker 4: They need a tribe. She calls out her people, her tribe. They need someone to pull them out of that dark, twisted spot. Yeah, you know, kind of related. I watched the Amy Winehouse documentary.
Speaker 3: I want to watch it? Is that good?
Speaker 2: So it's on Amazon Prime.
Speaker 4: It's really good. You know what's incredible. It was so moving to me because they you hear a lot of people talking about Amy, but the entire movie, the entire documentary is pretty.
Speaker 2: Much old footage of Amy.
Speaker 4: Love it so you're seeing her. They zoom it on her face and her eyes. You really get to know the person. Like see there, because I will speak. You know, when Amy Winehouse was going through her crazy time, I was like everybody else laughing about it when they did jokes about it on like SNL or on like the late night TV shows and all the gossip and looking at the terrible photos and like, wow, she's going crazy. But I was a human woman. Yeah, she had all these toxic people around her who weren't not helping her get the help she needed, preventing her even from getting the help she needed.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 4: It's good, did you ever watch the Michael Jackson I watched The Michael Jackson Good.
Speaker 1: Were you just like, first of all, we obviously you're already like Michael Jackson's amazing, and then you're like if I could not think he was more amazing as an artist, it just makes you realize, like, what what a genius he was in this space.
Speaker 4: And how hard he worked from like the age of five. So that's the documentaries on Showtime, yes or HBO.
Speaker 3: I think it was Showtime.
Speaker 4: It's called Off the Wall and Spike Lee directed it, and it's so good, and it's the time period that I didn't see. I always knew Thriller and beyond Michael, and uh so I never really knew Off the Wall Michael or the Jackson five Michael, and uh yeah, my dad came from to show my dad he loves Michael. Afterward, I saw someone compare The Weekend to Michael Jackson, and I was like, several Statesiel Jackson has more talent and his left pinky finger than the Weekend. The Weekend I was gonna say, yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm definitely gonna give the Weekend. But first of all, there's no dancing, there's no Michael.
Speaker 3: The sound of his voice, and that's literally it.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, Michael Jackson was so much more than just the voice it was. I mean, just watch after all, you just realize, like, first of all, he was like a genius at five when you hear Sammy Davis Junior, all of these like famous musicians.
Speaker 2: Including the Weekend he was interviewed can Be Bryant for some reason was.
Speaker 3: Interviewed and a lot which I was like, why are you here? Are you lost her?
Speaker 2: So I heard it was a camera about but it.
Speaker 1: Was just so good because you get to see that like his genius didn't just erupt when he was like nineteen, that it was something that was spotted when he was really young, and how it manifested itself, and how he listened and how he asked questions and he was always curious.
Speaker 3: It's just such a good.
Speaker 4: That's all related, and that's why I think that's why I like Shawna's book so much, and that's why I like the Michael Jackson documentary so much, because I think it's really easy to look at successful people and say I could never be that, or kill yourself thinking that you should be that, and you don't really.
Speaker 2: See what work they put into it.
Speaker 4: Like it's no wonder that I'm not like Oprah or like Michael, Like, there's so much work and you don't see the work.
Speaker 2: So the off the wall shows the work.
Speaker 4: Shonda Rhyme shows you the work that she has done to get to where she is.
Speaker 2: And uh so those are like.
Speaker 1: Wonder if I'm gonna become a Oprah, I'm gonna call a book the work the work. But that's only becoming Oprah status and I'm like, until that, I'll just call it.
Speaker 2: Like, see, there's only governa be one Oprah.
Speaker 4: You just gotta be like Tiffany status. That's true, one name Tiffany. There's no like I mean, there isn't like a famous Tiffany right now.
Speaker 3: You could be the Tiffany. Yes, I do want to be the Tiffany. Tiffany. Well, that was we had a long one. We did because we haven't seen so well. We talked for like an hour before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, guys, well as always email us, send us your messages on Facebook, on Twitter, at the BA podcast, and on email outs at Brand Ambition podcast at femail dot com.
Speaker 2: I also a quick apology.
Speaker 4: I realized that some of you guys had issues with last week's episode on iTunes.
Speaker 2: That is iTunes issue, and they're working it out. I'm very sorry.
Speaker 4: I hope it will be fixed and but if you're still having problems, email us at broad Ambition podcast at email dot com.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and have a great week, yeah,