Speaker 1: He's gonna have starts where you say, I'm really glad that I watched that. I'm really glad he's going to be must CTV.
Speaker 2: We're hitting the top prospect in the Dodgers organization. You almost definitely know the name, and you've got the right people to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Here's our prospect profile. Roki Sasaki is the name.
Speaker 2: The sweepstakes, of course, is over Scott Brown along with Baseball Americas, JJ Cooper and Ben Badler. Ben, you've been covering Roki Sasaki for some time. I have to imagine that once he officially signed with the Dodgers, you were like, cool, there's their top prospect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that one was not much of a debate, right, not much of a long conversation there. You're getting a frontline starter and somebody who should be a front line starter from day one. Right, this is a guy who's got an upper tank fastball. You can say the velocity backed up last year if you want to poke holes in his game and say that's maybe a red flag. What's going on still in upper nineties fastball? And then here's it with this just unhittable splitter. I mean when he throws it right, It's just an absolutely devastating pitch. The bottom falls out of it. It doesn't matter if you're lefty, righty, how good of a hitter you are. It's a wipeout pitch. And then the slider is like, oh yeah, that's kind of a plus pitch two for him, so throws a lot of strikes. It's a pretty easy athletic delivery. Pretty Much every box you want checked in a young starting pitcher he has, with the exception of durability. Right, We'll see how that goes. I think the Dodgers will be able to keep him on that six man rotation, ease him in that way. They're not obviously counting on him to be like the savior of their rotation by any means, so they can manage his workload very carefully if they need to. So I imagine they will do that. But I got to think too, he's going to be everybody's favorite to be Rookie of the Year this year.
Speaker 1: It's kind of almost it's both impressive and sad at the same time that the team that already had everything adds the best prospect in baseball because, like in for a lot of places, Roki Sasaki would immediately be the star of the team, or could be. We could see I would say we'll probably see it in a little bit less consistency, but we could see at times Roki be like what we saw Paul Skimes last year, where he's just outings where it's like no one's hitting him. He's just shutting you down, sit down onto the next day. And he has that ability because he has been laid out. He has two top tier pitches, especially when his fastball's on, and the third pitch is very you already. But I also think that the Dodgers are probably going to help him unlock another gear as far as his pitch mix, as far as his assortment, because there are probably some different things he could do to kind of give hitters another way to kind of have to defend against him, because everything's pretty hard, and it's kind of when he's on, is that fastball splitter back and forth, back and forth, you kind of maybe he starts to put something else, maybe a sweeper or something that eventually becomes something that a cutter, something that just puts a little different idea a hitter's head. There's kind of some more potential for refinement, more potential for development here. But what he is right now is already really really good. And like Ben said, the durability is probably the biggest question, But the Dodgers don't need him to be especially durable, especially in year one. Wouldn't shock me at all if they were extra cautious, and if there's ever a moment where there's a you know, a twinge or anything like that, they just shut him down for a month and say, Okay, don't worry, We've got plenty of pitching to get us through the regular season. Don't worry. We're gonna make the postseason. We can promise you that. And then the real question is is you know, where is he pitching in that rotation come the postseason? Because this is gonna be the one of the greatest battles of all time if ever stays healthy. Because you would think that Blake Snell has to start games in the postseason. You'd think that Tyler Glasnow has to start games in the postseason. You would think that Yoshinobo Yamamoto should start games in the postseason. Oh yeah, by the way, we think that showey Otani should probably start games in the postseason. And then Roki Sazaki I'm guessing if we see recent Dodgers history, not off of those five, we'll be ready to go come October. But at the same time, if they all are, that's the embarrassment of riches, of all embarrassment of riches. But you look at Sazaki and if Roki Sasaki is playing and pitching at his best of his ability, he actually does start games in the postseason over some of those names I just mentioned, and that just tells you how exceptional his talent.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny. I just thought about this JJ.
Speaker 2: We don't know how Otani's going to bounce back, and I know we're talking about Roki here, but let's say Otani doesn't bounce back from surgery, and remember there was also a shoulder issue, and a surgery in the offseason might not be good enough pitching wise to crack the starting rotation in the playoffs. That's the picture you painted. Most people assume they're not going to have all of those arms intact for October based on last year's results.
Speaker 3: That might not necessarily.
Speaker 2: Be the case, because this is a team that knows they're going to get into the playoffs, so they're going to do everything they can to treat this whole case like a marathon. Roki is the perfect example, so to tie it right back to him. If you are a fantasy baseball player and you're watching this show, this might not be the pick for you, or don't overvalue this pick because of what you said. They might have absolute kid gloves on, give him breaks if there's any sort of issue right and still even give him extra extra rest and have a lot of other arms to mix in as far as his big league impact. Tell us what we can expect from him this year if some of what you're talking about and some of what he adds to the arsenal at least learns from within the Dodger system actually pans out in year one. Just one other example I'll point out before we get your thoughts. Showed it in Minaga last year was highly.
Speaker 3: Debated in the offseason.
Speaker 2: I think we talked about him a little bit on this show, among other shows, including The One Behind Me File Territory. There were some people that we spoke to that said this could be a one or two. There were just as many people that said this could be a five. He looked definitely more like a one, two three than a four.
Speaker 3: Or five. So I know they're not the same pitcher by any.
Speaker 2: Means, but sometimes it's hard to completely take what you see in Japan and convert it to what it's going to look like in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts on year one?
Speaker 1: The way I would put it is Paul Skins last year. If you're a fan of baseball, right you don't have to be a Pirates fan. I knew when Paul Skins pitched, and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss it. That's what Roki Sasaki I think has a chance to be pretty much right away. It doesn't mean that every start will be perfect. If you told me that he has somewhere, oh, he's not really locating the splitter tonight, and so he doesn't have a plan B to get hitters out and he's struggling a little bit, Okay, that might happen. But what I would also say is he's going to have starts where you say, I'm really glad that I watched that. I'm really glad He's going to be must see TV multiple times this year. I would say, you know, as long as he's healthy, there are going to be starts where you just say I'm really excited I got to watch that. And the thing I've been saying about this for years, when you have a young pitcher like this, right, they may get better because as pitchers age, they get craftier, they understand what they're doing more and more. But at the same time, there's something about seeing that fireballing twenty three, twenty four year old, twenty two year old that just has a level of excitement to it that you don't see from a twenty seven year old. I will never forget watching Carrie Wood, you know, when he was a young rookie. I will never forget Steven Strasburg's big league debut. There was so much hype surrounding it, and he was ever bit as good as that. He was, like, this is exactly what you're looking to see. Paul Skemes did that last year. That's what Roki Sasaki could be. Is a guy who just has those outings where you go, wow, that was magical, and has outings where you say, I mean he's already thrown one of the best games in professional baseball history. You know, a perfect game with eighteen strikeouts. That doesn't happen? Was it nineteen? Like it's you know, absurd, and then he followed it up the next start by throwing eight perfect innings when he's on, no one hits them, and those are the kind of starts. So when you say impact, I would say his impact is is he should have some of the best pitch games in the major leagues in twenty twenty five, not in twenty twenty seven or eight in twenty twenty five. Now the question is just how consistently can he do it?
Speaker 2: There you go, that's ace upside from the jump, and that was nineteen ks in that one. So get ready Dodger fans, and really just get ready baseball fans if you want to see what Roki Sasaki can bring to the table. And also he's pitching for you know what we call now the evil Empire in Major League Baseball. The team that already looked stack heading into the season obviously gets the best prospect available the softseason, and they didn't have to waste a draft pick, and he's not getting paid a lot in the grand scheme of baseball talk. So that's the top prospect in the Dodgers system right now. That's your prospect profile. We have prospect profiles for every single team to make sure you look back and check those out. And if we're missing one, it means it's coming out because we release them on a day by day basis during spring training, so we'll see on another one.
Speaker 1: His power is such that, yes, I do think he can be that thumper, that masher that the Giants have long lacked.
Speaker 2: Let's at the top prospect in the San Francisco Giants organization according to Baseball America with this prospect profile. The name is Bryce Eldridge and he could be coming to the San Francisco Giants soon. That's how we want to start this out. Scott run along with JJ Cooper and Ben Badler from Baseball America. Ben for Big Bryce, what do you think?
Speaker 4: I mean, Jesus, the guy who was just drafted out of high school last year or twenty twenty three, I should say he's got one year under his belt and it might be this year, which is kind of crazy. I mean that I would not have thought that when he was drafted. As much as I love Bryce Eldridge, but he has, He's flown through the system. It's I mean, it's gigantic raw power. I mean, he's from a gigantic human being. Sixt' seven six', Eight and this is also probably the least amount of power That Bryce eldridge will ever have because he has more room to continue to fill out and get. Stronger he's still a pretty lean athletic, body so by the time he's done filling out packs on more. WEIGHT i think we're talking about a guy who could be a thirty five potential forty plus home run. Hitter there is swing and missing there right when you're six foot seven and your arms are that long and your strike zone is that. Big, yeah there's gonna be some swing and miss pretty much no matter. What BUT i think he's going to be able to keep that under, control especially for a guy who was pushed as fast as he was this. Year like if they had kept him in say LOW a all, year even just LOW a, high it wouldn't have been quite as the strike numbers wouldn't have been quite as high as they. Were but even if that's always part of his, GAME i think he's going to be able to keep that to a manageable level and tap into the just incredible power that he.
Speaker 1: Has the thing that kind of jumps out to, me Like ben, said the way that The giants moved him last year tells you both what they think about him and how quick this timetable, is because like where a lot of his contemporaries spent last year in a ball this, Was, Hey i'm going to start in LOW, a go To HIGH, a go To DOUBLE, a and finish the year In TRIPLE. A not many guys do the four stops in one. Year check every box off your your full season minor league baseball card in one. Season that doesn't mean he's not going to go Back TRIPLE a start the, year but you don't have to look too far out here to think that there's a chance That Bryce eldridge could be The giant's best pure, offensive biggest bat in the. LINEUP i should say by the end of twenty, five and really by twenty, six because if you look at This giants lineup, now Obviously williadamas is a very nice. Addition they have guys who are well Rounded Patrick bailey At, Chapman Willia. Damas but if you said a pure thumper who's just going to be one of the better hitters in the, league they don't have one of those. Guys they really haven't had one of those guys all that, often and that's What eldridge could. Be now he better be because has been laid. Out this is a guy who's a pretty massive a, HUMAN i, mean and by the, way he was a two way guy in high. School Like i'll kick it back to you for a, Minute, ben which is when you saw him kind of coming up as an. Amateur where did you think that this was that all the way or did you think that this was the guy who had a chance to be a.
Speaker 4: Pitcher the first TIME i Saw Bryce, ELDRIDGE i was at a field going to, watch mainly to watch a player from The. Bahamas SO i look over another field and there's this six foot, six fourteen year old throwing like eighty eight ninety miles an hour or whatever it was at the, time and that Was Bryce, eldridge AND i was, like, wow that was. Impressive just watching him more and more over the, Years, yeah leading up until his draft. Year HE'S i, mean a six foot, seven very athletic right handed pitcher who was up to the mid, nineties showed feel for spinning a breaking, ball could repeat his pretty sound mechanics for a guy that. SIZE i think if The giants had let, him he could be a legitimate two way. Guy, OBVIOUSLY i don't think that's going to go back and happened, Now but, yeah this, guy for as big as he, is and as much as we're talking up his, power there's other two there.
Speaker 1: Too.
Speaker 4: YEAH i mean it's limited, defensively but there's obviously arm strength and in a pretty impressive athlete too for somebody who's as big as he.
Speaker 2: Is so a little trivia question one of my, favorites and THEN jj hoppend but do you know actually the last player to hit thirty home runs for The, giants.
Speaker 1: We have to go back To.
Speaker 2: Bonds we have to go back To Barry. Bonds you, know people are dying for. This you guys are, Mentioning, hey we need like a lumberjack in the, lineup and everyrun's, like, well he looks the. Part so can he be the guy to actually crack the code In San? FRANCISCO i know it's not an easy park to, defeat but come, on it's been like decades.
Speaker 1: That that's the THING i would say is is he is one of those guys where like to just use the, cliche you, Know yellowstone's not holding him. IN i mean he can hit it out of any, park and yes he. Is now anyone's going to be affected, by you, know by playing. There it's not gonna doesn't mean you know that he's not going to lose some home, runs but his power is such, that, YES i do think he can be that that, thumper that masher that The giants have long. Lacked AND i just look at it and, say, like, again maybe maybe last year was a little. Fast if you told, ME i would not freak out IF i was A giants fan and we get To, may you, know Early, june it's, like, Oh Bryce eldrew's struggle a little bit In TRIPLE. A it's, like that's, okay you, know he's. Twenty give him some. TIME i know, though That giants fans, understandably if they see that a little, bit they're a little scarred right, now maybe because it's, like oh, wait is This Marco luciano, Again oh wait is This Luis montos who struggle a little? Bit oh wait is This Joey BART i would, say Give elders a little, Time but he just does have A i would, say a more well rounded, bat a more well rounded hitting approach than some of the guys And, hey the good news if you're A giants fan Is Elliot ramos did bounce back last, year was a guy who was a top hundred prospect and it seemed like his career is kind of. Installed and then last year he found another gear and now fits very much in their. Lineup but so it's not like they've been all. Missus Patrick bailey's been a hit as, well but The giants do Need Bryce eldris to really kind of make an impact because this is a team that has kind of struggled to produce those kind of everyday regular.
Speaker 4: Hitters, yeah and you and you look at what's coming up behind him. TOO i think there is a lot of weight on his shoulders, too because it's LOOK i like what they've done maybe the last couple of years with their international signing, classes but those guys are years and years away from being Big league. Ready the rest of the farm system right, now outside Of, eldridge like you'll get their top, five top, ten it falls off pretty. QUICK i mean a guy Like Dakota, jordan who they drafted this, year, who's you, know number five prospect in their, system obviously has a lot of, tools but huge swing and mis risk him with him that you know that we saw in College James, tibbs you, know a good, hitter but not Not these guys are not to the level obviously Of Bryce. ELLERGANT i think the talent really falls, off you, know in The giants farm system after the top top three to five. Players so, YEAH i think there's a lot of weight on his shoulders for things to.
Speaker 3: Click why do you think this has happened so?
Speaker 2: FREQUENTLY i know it's not easy to, pinpoint BUT, JJ i mean the development has been a problem recently For San, francisco and ALSO i mean for the position player side of, things it is still one of the premier pitchers parks in the. Sport so you come up to the, show you face tougher. Pitching you look at that park and it's holding in a lot of baseballs that you used to smash over a, wall and that can be defeating for a young player's. CONFIDENCE i think that could.
Speaker 1: Be and also the reality is is this is the, team even though they've kind of had their ups and downs at the big league, level this is the team that kind of has been trying to, contend has been trying to contend with The dodgers and The padres year after, year and SO i think that there's also been kind of a short window with a lot of these. GUYS i don't know If Joey bart was ever going to, work you, know In San, francisco but it was a pretty pretty short period of time before they went from this is Not Buster posey's replacement to, ah you're In pittsburgh. NOW i See Marco luciano has been up a couple of, times but they really have never figured, out, hey this is your. Spot we're going to give you some time to really. Develop it's something where they're kind of the curse of the big market team that wants to contend you don't have the same amount of, patience you don't have the same amount of here's two hundred and, fifty here's three hundred and fifty at bats to figure it out and don't worry if you struggle at. Start it's been a little bit quicker in a lot of cases than. That and again we see even a guy Like Elliott, ramos he kind of had that hot streak where finally he kind of grabbed hold to. It BUT i don't know if he might not have found himself elsewhere if it hadn't been for, that because again it's just you got to, produce and there have been guys who haven't produced right away who've kind of been moved on from pretty.
Speaker 3: Quickly So, bryce no.
Speaker 2: Pressure maybe don't watch this, video but this could be a big deal power threat finally coming through to The San Francisco giants, lineup and he's on the fast.
Speaker 3: Track even though he's super.
Speaker 2: Young he is the top prospect right now In San Francisco giants organization according To Baseball. America we do this on every single, team so make sure you check out our other videos or look out for more on the way and we'll see on the next prospect. Profile but If.
Speaker 1: Jordan lawler comes out in twenty twenty, five has a really great start to the, season well this is a big league ready.
Speaker 2: Shortstop let's talk about The Arizona diamondbacks and their top prospect in the. Organization it's a name that's been around for a. Minute It's Jordan, lawler and it's your prospect profile and it Is scott brun along With Baseball america IS Jj cooper And Jeff. Ponce so where we, at we've Heard Jordan lawler's name for a. Minute we haven't seen him blossom in the big leagues. Yet, jeff do you think it's going to.
Speaker 5: Happen, YEAH i think if it's going to, happen it's probably going to be you, know this, year possibly, NEXT i would, imagine you, know the big question has been with him has really been health over the last year or. So you, know he did have shoulder surgery right after, signing but did put together a couple of decent. Years of, course got up to the major leagues in twenty twenty, three and then this year dealt with a hamstring injury as well as a thumb, injury which, really you, know more or less cooked him for almost the entirety of the. SEASON i think when you look at the, player he can play in multiple spots in the, infield probably most at home at. Shortstop he's got a good arm, there fairly, rangy you. KNOW i don't think he's somebody that's going to be like a seventy defender or a plus defender at, shortstop but could be an above average every day defensive. Shortstop gets on. BASE i think the power at times was probably a little bit. Overbuild he can hit for, power but it's probably more like high teens power than it is like the twenty plus to even thirty that you might have heard at draft.
Speaker 3: Time he's a good.
Speaker 5: Runner straight line speed isn't, crazy but you know enough that he can see probably twenty twenty five, bags especially in that, lineup and you, know as aggressive as The diamondbacks can be in terms of base. Stealing SO i think he's a really good all around. Player you, know the top prospects certainly in that. System it's just a matter, of you, know do they move on From, perdomo do they you, know Potentially suarez for a third base and he ends up at third. Base there's multiple ways that he could sort of fit into The diamondbacks this. Season but the big question with him has been, health and he's dealt, with you, know a litany of injuries throughout his professional.
Speaker 1: Career his opportunity coming into twenty twenty four might have been a little bit better than it sits right. Now jeff Mentioned. Perdomo predomo had a pretty solid year and did enough to where If Jordan lawler kind of came out of twenty, three he was up with the big league club at the end of the, year and you're kind of, Thinking, okay twenty twenty four will be the year that the first round, pick the top prospect in the in the, organization pick that step forward kind of nails down the shortstop job and kind of holds that for the next for the rest of the. Decade, really and here we are a year, later And lawler's coming off of his second significant injury as a, pro had missed basically the whole. Year did get to play in The Dominican Winner league a little. Bit didn't set the world on fire, there but to get to, play which is, good kind of gives some shakes, off some rust before spring. Training but we are sitting here going into the twenty twenty five season saying he fits in the mix where a year ago kind of thought he was going to be the. Guy SO i do think that the twenty twenty five season is going to be very important For Jordan lawler to one just show he can stay healthy because that's been a problem so, far and to kind of hopefully kind of get the opportunity and taking claimant to say, like, Hey i'm the shortstop In. Arizona i'm the shortstop for this team for the rest of the decade still looks like long term that's his job to. Hold but it is a little bit of a tougher task maybe now than it was even coming out of last. Year and the thing that just kind of really does jump out oft the is you don't want to forget that he's really young. Still he will turn twenty three right around The All star, Break SO i don't want to make this sound like this is a twenty six year, old twenty seven year old who hasn't gotten established in the big leagues and time is running. Out this guy's not really much older than some of the college draftees we'll see in the upcoming, draft so there's still time on his. Side Jordan lawler could still be a very, impactful very well rounded big. Leaguer it just does mean, that, man you just want to see him be healthy for a full. Year and it hasn't been like one. Injury it's been kind of a variety of injuries that have really derailed him so.
Speaker 2: Far it's, funny you, know it gets me, Thinking jeff about how much or how quickly we move on these.
Speaker 3: Days.
Speaker 2: Right Jordan lawler was really really heavily discussed for you, know a year or, two and then you see these struggles in these, injuries and he becomes an afterthought in terms, of you, know the national conversation of. Specs in, Fairness Jackson curio wasn't talked about, much you, know After, may when he was struggling in the first, month and then people had to circle back around and be, like oh, wait hold.
Speaker 3: On he's a, baby and now he looks like a star.
Speaker 2: Already but, anyway to get to my next, point do you think that The Arizona diamondbacks are in an okay spot.
Speaker 3: From an organizational?
Speaker 2: Standpoint or should we be concerned that this is still the guy that's kind of leading the pack here among their best.
Speaker 5: Prospects, YEAH i, MEAN i think it is a good major league, roster you.
Speaker 3: Know you, know obviously they went in a little bit of a late run last.
Speaker 5: Year they do have some kind of a pair of interesting prospects at the, top And lawler and Then Dimitrio, cissantes you know who's in the midst of Chasing Mookie bets minor league on bass streak record that will continue into twenty twenty five if he continues to get on base over the first whatever ten or twelve. GAMES i think there's some interesting players they added to the system this, year and guys Like Slave caldwell And ryan walshmid It adrian Del castillo certainly had sort of a breakout last year AND i think kind of re established, himself particularly as a. Hitter but there's some other players in this system that really haven't taken big steps. Forward Drew jones is obviously kind of the prime, suspect you, know among those. Players Tommy troy a highly, touted you, know positional player out Of, stanford you, know. INFIELDER i don't want to say necessarily middle infielder because we'll see where he ends up. Landing but in a lot of, ways you, Know troy a couple a couple of years, ago is getting compared To Matt, shaw's like when he was in The Cape Cod.
Speaker 3: League which player is?
Speaker 5: Better AND i, think you, Know shaw has certainly established himself as a professional And troy sort of done the. Opposite so there's kind of been a lot of underperforming picks. HERE i thought they had a pretty good draft in twenty twenty, four so we'll see where that takes. Them and they haven't had any huge hits in the international market of plade.
Speaker 1: Either the THING i will say, though this also does provide an opportunity for The diamondbacks now to give kind of the the rose colored glasses version of. This Jordan lawler is still one of the better prospects in the. Game he's still near the top of our top one, hundred and he's kind, of As scott, said he kind, of you, know he's kind of faded from the conversation because he's really missed the whole, year kind of disappeared from you, know from from kind of view as he rehabbed and tried to get back on the. Field but If Jordan lawler comes out in twenty twenty, five let's say he starts off in TRIPLE a and has a really great start to the, season, well this is a big league ready, shortstop which gives The dbacks at that point they can really, say, hey we've got the depth that this provides because we have now we have five guys really for four spots in the. Infield or they can also look at it and, say, hey whether it's Per, domo you, know whether It's, lawler whether it's you, know whether It's Keto, marte who's you, know been great for. Them there could be a potential move down the road here where you, say, okay there's a lot of depth, here there's a lot of. Opportunity and for a team that was in The World series two years, ago that's not a terrible thing that this is kind of a potential opportunity where they may have two guys who could handle the. Job where two years ago it's like the question was do they have? One so that to me is kind of something to be interesting to watch in twenty twenty. Five is Does lawler's potential re emergence kind of create both a challenge for The diamondbacks but also an opportunity because he already has hit In TRIPLE, a it's not something he needs to shake off some. Rust it's no problem for him to spend a little bit of time down, there but he probably doesn't need a full season In TRIPLE a just to get an additional. Seasoning and if that's the, case at some point they're going to have some decisions to.
Speaker 2: MAKE i, MEAN i remember now two years ago or two seasons, ago chatting With Jordan lawler during media day heading into The World. Series wasn't a factor a guy For arizona at that, time but we were, like, damn this team's in The World series And Jordan lawler is one of the best prospects at the time in. Baseball and just imagine if he blossoms and becomes a star for this team next, season which was this past, season which obviously had the, injuries but it is a good sign For. Arizona, plus they did damage in the offseason by adding someone Like Corbyn burns to the big league, roster so we'll see If lawler can be above average performer for this team and caused some good. Problems like JJ's talking, about we're going over every single top prospect organization by, Organization so swing back here to The Baseball america channel for more of.
Speaker 1: These he's the kind of guy who's gonna fit and should fit in The San diego lineup late twenty six or twenty, seven which is a crazy projection for a guy who will play this entire season as an eighteen year.
Speaker 2: Old, hey The San Diego padres loved to swing, trades but they also find some high ceiling. Prospects Leo davrees is next in. Line let's talk about. Him that's right at Your Baseball America prospect Profile Scott run WITH Jj cooper And Jeff. PONCE, jj is this superstar potential for The. PADRES i know it's going to take a little. Time he's, young but what are we?
Speaker 1: Seeing the WAY i would describe how The padres approached the international, market this this fits WITH Aj priller if you wanted to use a poker. Analogy they're going all in and they're not spreading their. Wrists they're not diversifying into a well rounded. Portfolio they're not, saying we're going to put some money on this picture and this shortstop and this. Catcher what The padres like to do is identify someone that they see as a, star and they like to make that star kind of the center point of their international. Class they did it With Ethan, sallas and here they've done it With Leo. DeVries and by the, way once they, do they then want to send that guy on a rocket ship through the. Miners we saw that last year with two years ago With, sallas and last year again we saw that with Leader, vrees, who while most of his contemporaries were trying to get out of The Dominican Summer, League derives was in full season, ball and not, surprisingly considering how much The padres are impressed with, him and how the reason that they were willing to send him to The California, league he really more than held his. Own he kind of took a little bit of time to kind of get comfortable, there and this was one of the better players in the. League this is a player who's approach to the, game his, physicality it all seems more advanced Than you look at him and you, say, wait this is a. Teenager this is a guy who is still probably, seven, eight, nine ten years away from his. Prime you see a lot of things already with When i've seen him play in, person you would not if you were asking who's the youngest player on this, field and he always is the youngest player on any field he plays, on you wouldn't pick him out that way because he carries. Himself he looks like a guy who has some, savvy who has some, experience and he has a lot of tools to go with.
Speaker 5: That, Jeff, YEAH i think one hundred. Percent and you, know you brought up a good point. There you, know was a little bit of a slow starter this. Year really started to get going In july and then you, know over the last few months of his season really showed. Something hit two eighty, four four oh, seven five eighty nine over his final thirty five. Games, uh you, know season ended with a with an injury in Mid. August he was shut down for a little bit and then sort of RETURNED i think maybe the.
Speaker 3: End of the first week OF.
Speaker 5: Afl prior to, that his first forty games and as we, said you, know he was playing at a full season level as you, know a seventeen year old you, know hit one ninety, six, three nineteen, three. Ten but once it sort of clicked In, july where he actually had eight homers in that, month you, know he really took. Off AND i think if he had maybe had you, know another three weeks at the end of tail end of that In august and beginning Of september as the season fully, ended we might have seen those numbers climb even a little bit. More super, twitchy you, KNOW i don't know if he stays at shortstop long, term but kind of a compact, build really good bat, speed you, know switch, hitter strong, already but there's room to potentially add more. Power not a not a double plus runner or something like, that but you, know it's probably going to be above average to at least average at peak with some power with the hit tool and as a matchup, issue and you have a switch hitter with all the tools and do all the things That devrees can.
Speaker 3: Do so really really exciting.
Speaker 5: Player AND i, think you, know when we're talking about the players that came from that twenty four international, class we're going to look back and sort of Compare DeVries and Then Haesus, made who's going to make his state side debut this. Year just kind of shows, you you, know how much further Along defrise is than a lot of these guys that sign internationally and typically spend a year in The Dominican Summer league at the very least end up in The Complex League. Domestically he skipped both of those and went right to full season, ball so it kind of makes sense why he might have struggled over those first couple of months as he settled.
Speaker 1: In the thing that jumps out to me just to talk about how young he. Is he'll be eighteen for the entirety of the twenty twenty Five minor league. Season he'll turn nineteen in THE mlv. Postseason he will not turn twenty until after his twenty twenty sixth season is basically fully in the bag unless he's playing in the postseason with the big League. Padres so you're talking about a guy who is a year, two, three four years younger than the guys he's playing. With he may go back to The collleague to start the, season just to let it warm up a little bit in The Midwest, league but he's going to likely spend the majority of his, season or at least the start of the of his, season the majority of the, season and in The Midwest league in HIGH a as the youngest player in that, league it wouldn't be crazy to think that he might reach DOUBLE a by the end of the. Year like this is the kind of timetables that you just don't see. Normally. Now The padres are more aggressive than pretty much anyone else with players like, This but when you throw in the Fact jeff mentioned he's a switch, hitter often switch hitters take a little bit longer because you've got two swings to work. On not a problem With devrez so, Far and to, me like you just put it all together and you, SAY i don't know if it's going to be for The padres or you, know, again The padres are aggressive in every. Way if they can make a move and they need to make a, move he also could be a top trade. Chip but he is the kind of guy they love their short. Stops he's the kind of guy who's going to fit and should fit in The San diego lineup late twenty six or twenty, seven which again is a crazy is a crazy projection for a guy who will play this entire season as an eighteen year.
Speaker 5: Old, yeah AND i think one of the most impressive things, too is you start to look at some of the underlying power. NUMBERS a one oh two point one mile per hour ninety eighth percentile exit velocity that's on par with you, know older domestic prospects with more experience that we rank very. Highly it's actually the exact number That Walker jenkins has for ninetieth percents out a few years younger Than. Jenkins but on top of, that being a switch hitter with a little bit of, power he consistently puts the ball in the. Air he a sixty percent fly ball plus line drive rate this, year nearly a forty percent air, pull so he consistently gets the ball in the air and knows how to hit the ball in the air to his pull side and that's, split you, know between both sides of the. Plate so there aren't a lot of switch hitters that can do. That there's not a lot of young players that already sort of have you, know pretty clean backspin and barrel control and accuracy at that. Age AND i think that the skills which were already sort of average ish for the level at least when you put all that, together this is somebody that is he starts to catch up to the age plus level stuff could really take a humongous, jump whether it's this year or next, year and we really see him take off in terms of like a slash, line you, know production.
Speaker 3: Standpoint AND i.
Speaker 2: Just want to kind of confirm this from both of. You The padres do love to wheel and. DEAL Aj preller IS i would, say what top three in terms of front office leaders that make. Trades he would do this if he got the call Right debrees putting the phone, DOWN i, mean that's is that the One, no you think you Think debrees even would be in.
Speaker 1: PLACE i don't Think aj hangs up the phone on anyone like this is a guy who Traded james Wood, away who you know was a little further, away but he Traded. James would you, know this is a guy who Traded Mackenzie, Gore this is a guy who traded four to One. SODO i would say that he is not going to make a. Move it'd have to be something. Massive but it's The. Padres like, AGAIN i don't think that there's anyone ever that he hasn't at least will, entertain like a take the.
Speaker 5: Call, YEAH i, MEAN i think it would have to be an absolutely elite young major league player for him to consider moving an asset like. This The, padres AS jj, said they do trade good. Prospects they're probably one of the organizations that the least scared of sort of that coming back to bite.
Speaker 3: Them BUT i don't think that's whatever.
Speaker 5: Happened but like if we're talking Like Gunnar henderson Or Corbyn carroll or you, Know Paul, skeens like it was a player like that that was available maybe a year from, now you, Know livy wants to.
Speaker 3: Move To San.
Speaker 5: Diego that's probably the situation WHERE i Think DeVries would become. Available BUT i just think there's very few players they would probably make devrees available for. You probably wouldn't hang up the phone because he would try to negotiate down, to you, know another prospect in the.
Speaker 3: System.
Speaker 2: Mmm, actually you know what if The padres have a great first, half but they really are starter short a phone call to you, Know. Seattle let's say they're having a bad start to the year and they've got a young. Pitcher The padres want a controllable young. Pitcher it's not going to cost a. Lot that's where you can wheel and deal a little. Bit, okay, okay so we're hold, on hold, on we're picking them.
Speaker 3: Back did you hang? Up you're? Okay, okay never mind that Was Scott. Brown that wasn't. ME i would never do that.
Speaker 2: Anyway if you like, this we go over every single top prospect per. Organization if you haven't seen your team yet that you're looking, for it will be out. Soon otherwise scroll back to see, others and Remember Baseball america can be subscribed to go get yourself a subscription at baseball america dot. Com he's probably shown maybe a little bit more durability Than sasaki, has you, know over the last handful of.
Speaker 3: Years The rockies sort of needs something.
Speaker 5: Here and this could be the beginning of sort of pushing this this group of pitchers up to the major.
Speaker 2: Leagues, okay The Colorado rockies have work to do with their major league. Club let's see if they can find themselves an. Ace the name Is Chase. Dolander he is the top prospect according To Baseball. America let's dive. In it's be a prospect. Profile Scott, RON Jj, Cooper Jeff, Ponce Jeff Chase dolander best arm in the organization right, now And i'm including big.
Speaker 3: Leaguers would you?
Speaker 5: AGREE i think you can probably argue that this is one of the most talented pitchers The rockies have.
Speaker 1: Ever had in the.
Speaker 5: Organization kind of going, back you, know looking at some of the names that have been you, know top. Prospects John, gray you, KNOW jj AND i talked about this sort of off. Airs we were kind of writing up our reports during the, offseason getting things ready for the. Handbook and you, know maybe There's Jeff, francis you Have Ubaldo Hi. Meanez He meanez probably had the most, success Certainly John, gray but he's somebody that you, know almost immediately upon coming into pro.
Speaker 3: Ball you, know the report started to be a little.
Speaker 5: Bit less optimistic than what we had seen when he, was you, know a draftee or you, know coming into his draft. YEAR i think when we look At, dolander, yeah he had slid back a little bit and felt fallen Behind Paul, skens who wouldn't among college pitchers in that twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: Class he had a really good.
Speaker 5: Year you, know handled HIGH a very very, well went up to DOUBLE. A i think one of the things that was most encouraging About dolander is they really let him go ninety to one hundred pitches plus multiple, times particularly in DOUBLE. A he was really working some of those you, know Better Eastern league lineups which are pretty talented toward the end of the season and showed an ability to. Pitch now we get into the. Stuff it is electric. Stuff it might be some of the best stuff that we've seen from Any rockies, pitcher including he meant as you, know who threw very. Hard Do lander this year sat ninety six to ninety seven miles per, hour was up to one hundred miles per. Hour you, know traditionally just looking at the flat, numbers he doesn't get a ton of ride on. It but based on his release, height which is really really, low he gets a lot of ride for his release, height which creates a really sort of, flat difficult. Plane it's kind of similar and in that sense to like A Jacob deGrom fastball or A Garrett cole, fastball where it has that flat plane of. Approach it's harder for pitchers to excuse, me hitters to sort of get.
Speaker 3: On plane with.
Speaker 5: That in terms of the barrel mixes in a few different breaking ball. Shapes he's got a hard cutter that sits in the upper eighties that you know will touch ninety ninety one ninety, two you, know a little bit of ride and some cut got a more traditional curve. Ball he'll show a change up as, Well but really everything works off of that, fastball and you, know it's sort of a what we would call a low launch. Fastball so when you have a fastball like, that it's much harder to sort of get on plane because it doesn't have that sort of same downhill movement that you see on most. Fastballs so he might be a guy AND i wrote an article about this in the. Offseason he could be a guy this year that potentially cracks That core's. Code there's only been One rockies PICTURE i think in history that has a career era under, four and That's Oobaldo. JIMENEZ i Think dolander might be next in, line and we could be looking back five or six years from now and, saying all, right maybe this is sort of what you need to Hack. Coors you, need you, know this sort of weird fastball shape with a lot of, velocity and that might buy you a you, know a little bit more leeway than the typical arsenal.
Speaker 1: Will so good, News. Rockies if this, works you can replicate this by drafting one of the best pictures in college baseball with these kind of unique. Characteristics, NOW i Think dolinder's actually a really good story as. Well when we talked to him on Our Hot sheet, show he made the point he had two. Offers he had two scholarship offers basically coming out of high school and went To Georgia southern kind of dominated transferre To. Tennessee the key thing And jeff touched on. This when you're talking about how much of an impact can he make in the big leagues in twenty twenty, five one of the key things going for him is this isn't a guy who hasn't worked deep in. Games this isn't a guy who hasn't thrown. Innings he threw one hundred and eighteen. Innings AND i know you may hear one hundred and eighteen innings in minor league baseball and go, wow is that? No, nowadays that's actually a pretty good. Workload he also though before that he had pretty heavy, workloads reasonable, workloads but he worked you, know pretty full workloads At tennessee before that as, Well Georgia southern as. Well so this is a guy who the best WAY i can put it is is if you put him in the rotation early this, season and you're not going to come To july and, say, oops he's already out of. Innings, now you might get To, august you might get To, september and you're skipping a start every now and. Then but at the same, time we are talking about a guy who has shown that he can kind of hold, up has shown that he can handle a pro workload of some. Sorts so you put the stuff combined with the fact that this is the guy who has shown some tendencies maybe to be a, horse and this is actually something For rockies fans to get excited.
Speaker 5: About, yeah AND i think it's very realistic that he could be somebody that potentially even breaks camp with the. Team you, know he's obviously going to be up against it in terms OF Nl rookie of The, year you, know even in his own. Division obviously with Rookie sasaki in that. Division you, know it could be an uphill. Battle but he's probably shown maybe a little bit more durability Than sasaki, has you, know over the last handful of. Years of, course we're comparing college, baseball minor league, baseball you, know to the highest level Of japanese, baseball which is not an even. Comparison but The rockies sort of needs something here and this could be the beginning of sort of pushing this this group of pitchers up to the major. Leagues they have a few other guys sort of in the system that are more back end, guys but kind of interesting. Traits they seem like they've been going after actually a lot of these low, release hight fastball. GUYS i bring that up again because there's one pitcher who's never given up a run in his first two career starts at Coors field and That's Kyle, harrison who is also a low release height.
Speaker 3: Pitcher so when you.
Speaker 5: Start to factor that sort of stuff, IN i think there might be some secret. Sauce maybe The rockies are potentially cracking something. Here it's, interesting AND i think for sure it's unusual that we would rank A rockies pitcher as highly as we do in the top one, hundred or even have him number one in a pretty good. System BUT i Think dolander is just that talented and has traits that you, know could potentially lead to success no matter where HE i.
Speaker 2: Think it's always worth mentioning THIS. Jj if you're A rockies, fan you're watching this right, now you're super.
Speaker 3: Excited.
Speaker 2: GREAT i might have a number one, starter one of the best talents armwise in the organization that they've ever. Had but is there enough around him for this team to eventually be. COMPETITIVE i don't even know if we're keeping track of a year of a rebuild for, them but it doesn't look like they want to really dance in the free agent. Market how even really crazy with, trades with dealing away some of their guys once they're in their. Prime you, Know ryan McMahon was the prime example seemed like a couple of years ago they could have gotten themselves a nice prospect or. Two so are they going to be able to build somewhat of a prospects capital powerhouse to be able to compete in THE Nl west or are they just In abyss.
Speaker 1: Forever the thing that you just, mentioned like you can go back To trevor's, story is another example of that where it's just hard to see what is the, year what is the goal that The rockies are pushing for? Now If dolander, really you, know comes in and pitches the way we expect and hope you, will that would be a big impact for. Them they do have some young talent, here you, know up the, middle the. Outfield if everyone if everyone in the outfield plays to the level they have in their best, year they could have a pretty solid outfield out. There you, Know doyle's had a good, Year Nolan jones had a good year two years. Ago but you put it all together and you, say is this team going to? Win is this team going to contend in THE Nl? WEST i would struggle to, say you, know anytime in the rest of this, decade because if you look at, it we know The dodgers are going to be. Good The padres are way better than right. Now The diamondbacks went to The World series two years, ago have more young, talent and then we throw The giants, in who kind of are regrouping a little. Bit but when The giants, regroup they signed free agents Like Willia. Thomas that's not something that is really something that The rockies are. Doing, SO i, mean it can get, better but. Better right, now the goal seems to, be you, know let's get to see this team could get to eighty one or eighty two, wins and that may be a pretty uphill, climb much less getting to ninety plus to conte and in this.
Speaker 2: Division, yeah it's a tough. Division so we feel for You rockies, fans but there are worse, situations not, many maybe one or two at this, point so at least they've got some talent in the. Pipeline we are talking about every single organization in their top prospect and then spilling the conversation and some others that you should be paying attention. To so make sure you check out all of the videos team by team here we're releasing one per day during spring.
Speaker 3: Training