Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff you should know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, there's Chuck, here's Jerry, and we're going to take a nice little stroll down Internet memory lane parent stuff.
Speaker 1: You should Yeah, this is something I had never heard of. Had you heard of this?
Speaker 2: No? I ran it past. You mean she's like, oh, man, yes, I think I've heard of it, and I don't know if she has or no.
Speaker 1: Well, you mean is an early adopter.
Speaker 2: Yeah. She was definitely more Internetti than I was at that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So what we're talking about here is the first what's regarded as the first social media website, the thing that started the degradation of all mankind. Way back in nineteen ninety seven. It was called six degrees dot com spelled out SixDegrees dot com. I was founded by a guy named Andrew Weinreich and for about three years in the late nineties they were able to come online when a ton of people were online, and garner ultimately about three and a half million users, which it pales in comparison to what we look at today, but for the time wasn't too bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not too shabby. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to get them over the hump and give them staying power. But I think they were also a victim of timing, as we'll see, Yeah for sure, but yes, the deck was stacked against them, and the fact that they were essentially very much ahead of their time. They were a social media site before there were enough people online, not just enough people to come and use your social media site. There was only something like I mean, if they had three and a half million users, there's probably like three point six million users on all of the Internet at a time. I don't know if that's a correct estimate, but something like eighteen percent of households according to the US in nineteen ninety seven when six degrees launched, only eighteen percent had internet at home at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a it was a competing stat from Pew Research Center that said thirty six percent did, but there was different methodologies and stuff. So let's just say, you know, somewhere in between those numbers, I bet it was more more like eighteen. This was you know, ninety seven was one, two, three, four, five years before Prinster launched Princester. That's hard to say for some reason. And but by that time the percentage of people in two thousand and two that had flipped. It was more like thirty nine percent of people did not use the internet, and sixty one percent of people did. So it was right at that, you know, it was just terrible timing, right there at the end of the nineties when the dot com bubble burst, and just right on its heels, other sites came along that did far, far better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just one thing, I like that Pew Data because it doesn't have like that small slice of like don't know, not sure. It's either yes, I use it or I don't use it. It's a nice solid survey agreed. So yeah, so there's a lot of what ifs could have been kind of thing, and we'll get into those a little bit more. But there were more things that six degrees was up against. Another really really big one was the slow speed of internet. Yeah, and you know today you might look back and think, well, we had no comparison back then, didn't matter. It was so slow that it would make you angry waiting around for a song to download or a web page to even load. There were transfer speeds using dial up modems of fifty six kilobytes per second that was what you had to deal with, not a gig per second, a kilobyte times fifty six per second. That was the transfer speed at the time, and that was the maximum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean we've laughed about it before, but just the days of just seeing a picture appear on the screen like three lines at a time, down, down, down, and you're just I just want to know what this thing looks like. And if you wanted to know, you had just sit there for five minutes or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you had time to go make and eat toast, Yeah while a picture was downloading.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hate a lot of toast back then.
Speaker 2: So that was that was a big challenge for it too. And then one of the other problems too is we'll see is that people I mean, if you have a social media so it's kind of helpful to have pictures, and they just weren't around at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll we'll get to that all the reasons why in a minute, but just to sort of, you know, locate it on the timeline in nineteen ninety seven when at launch, like Google dot com had just registered as a domain, so it wasn't even a real thing yet. The word weblog had just been coined or you know what it would become is blog and Netflix was sending DVDs through the mail. So remember that it seems like a thousand years ago, but it wasn't that long ago in the grand scheme of things.
Speaker 2: No, and it's kind of sad that six degrees has kind of gotten lost to history. Most people think Friendster was the first social media site. No, six degrees was, and it wasn't even one of those things where it's technically the first social media site, even though it really was not. It didn't resemble social media at all. No, this was the first social media site, and it essentially laid the groundwork for all the social media sites to come. It just was so far ahead of its time that it got lost to history.
Speaker 1: Yeah. For sure, Friendster ultimately got about ten million, but they had a lot of technical problems, so they didn't last. MySpace was the next big one. In two thousand and three, they were the first to reach a million monthly active users, which was a big deal. Some people say that at one point it was the most popular site in the United States.
Speaker 2: I believe that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, even if only for a brief amount of time. But then in two thousand and eight, Facebook came along and sort of smashed everything, and just to put a perspective, three and a half million users for six degrees. Facebook has more than three billion users and Blue Sky has thirty three million, and that's looked at as like a tiny thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure. So yeah, it kind of puts their three and a half million users into perspective. Yeah, so six degrees may sound familiar to people. It's actually very much related to the six Degrees of Kevin Bacon or six Degrees of Separation that play by John Gwayer and then later the movie adaptations starring Stockard Channing, of course, but it's actually I didn't realize this based on a study that Stanley Milgram, of the very famous Milgram experiment where he had people shock some unseen person in another room to find out just how obedient people were to authority, even against their own set of morals. You know that one, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He also carried out a study where he was one of the first to kind of determine how far apart the average person was from the other from anybody else in the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he got together with another psych professor named Jeffrey Travers and This is pretty cool. I think it was pretty low fi way to do it. But this is I mean, what year was this. Was this the nineteen.
Speaker 2: Fifties, No, it was the late sixties.
Speaker 1: Late sixties, okay. But what they did was they said, all right, let's get some people in Kansas. Let's get some people in Nebraska. They said, here's a folder and it has a document with a target person that we want you to get this to them. But you can't just look them up and see if you can find their address and mail it to them. One of the people was in Cambridge, one was in Sharon, Massachusetts, and they said, what you want to do, or what we want you to do, is send it to a person that you personally know who you think might be able to get it to another person who could get it to another person who could eventually get it to this target person. And then we will measure that and see what the average or the mean might be. So literally, a farmer in Kansas got it, you know, this is just one example. Got it to the wife of a student Massachusetts, who gave it to an Episcopalian minister in this town, who gave it to an instructor at the theological seminary there who got it to that target? So that would be one, two, three, four degrees of separation, which is pretty remarkable.
Speaker 2: I think yeah. And I also think chok that it's kind of funny that to Stanley Milgram, Nebraska and Kansas are the most socially remote locations in all of the United States, because that's where he started to see how long it took to get to I guess civilis like Boston. But they actually did a lot of analysis of this. They released a version of the study in Psychology Today, which was meant for a general audience. But then they did like the real deal in a journal called Sociometry in nineteen sixty nine, and they found that there was a mean length mean is the one in the middle. No, mean is average, it's another word for average, just say average, you know, of four point four to five point seven intermediary. So they found that people have a degree of separation of four point four to five point seven. And this was all the way back in the mid to late sixties. Think about how closer we are now.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, what I wonder too is did they throw out the ones? Because apparently most of the folders never even made it. Did they just toss those and say, of the ones who got there, this is how they're connected.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I believe that most of the ones that didn't get there were because the initial farmers in Kansas and Nebraska just threw them out. They didn't participate. Oh really, I think that's what happened to the majority of them. So yeah, it wasn't like the most robust study of all time, but it was so fascinating that it just captured the imagination of people and became kind of a pop cultural meme. But what's interesting about it is that later scholarship that was pretty robust studies supported what Milgram and his collaborator Jeffrey Travers found in that study.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was one in two thousand and three that found a media of five to seven. This is pretty old data. But in twenty eleven they did the degrees of separation on other social media sites, and for Facebook at the time, it was four point seventy four and for the at the time named Twitter it was four point sixty seven. But the caveat there is like you're not necessarily counting just the people that you know, Like, I know plenty of people when I was on Facebook that had lots of like what were they in Facebook? Friends? Yeah, friends who they had no idea who they were. It was just more of a maybe a networking thing kind of like LinkedIn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. And as we'll see six degrees too. Yeah yeah. Laura doctor Claw, who helped us out with this, points out that social media kind of has a stretch the definition of what we consider a connection. Like you just said, and also you said, what used to be called Twitter. I think it's hilarious because very frequently you'll see Twitter used in like some sort of article or whatever, and then in parentheses after that it'll say X.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean everyone still says Twitter. It seems like, yeah, it just didn't take.
Speaker 2: Like sorry, the name change for the business you bought did not take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's because X is dumb.
Speaker 2: I guess. So Twitter was just so perfect.
Speaker 1: I guess well, I mean, I don't know if Twitter is a good name or not, but it had such recognition.
Speaker 2: It's just like, Yeah, it's like the people who bought the Sears Tower and try to change the name and everybody's like, nope, still Sears Tower. Sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love that when a corporate sponsor takes over and they're like, no, we're still going to call it the thing at once.
Speaker 2: Before it's still the Toastedos Fiesta Bowl. Sorry, sorry, cars dot Com.
Speaker 1: Well, you mentioned Kevin Bacon and we should mention real quick. The six Degrees of Kevin Bacon was a very popular thing created by some college students, where in the ideas that Kevin Bacon has been in so many varied movies over the years that you can connect any actor in Hollywood to Kevin Bacon in less than six degrees or less. But the Bacon number apparently is three point one two, and they're five hundred and twenty two actors who have a smaller connectivity number or Bacon number than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're more connected to people than Kevin Bacon. I didn't know that, Chuck, did.
Speaker 1: You, Well there were five hundred and twenty two, or that there were more connected actors both. I figured there were more connected actors because there are people, well, Eric Roberts is the number one with two point nine zero eight four one because he has eight hundred and sixty five IMDb entries as an actor. So I figured there were people that were in way more movies. And that's just Matt, You know.
Speaker 2: Sure it is. But also you can make a case that Kevin Bacon's one hundred and eleven movies typically are with more stars who have more work, So there it's likelier that the people he work with are in more movies with more other people, whereas Eric Roberts is probably in movies with people like this is their one and only movie.
Speaker 1: Or people who are in like six hundred movies that you just have never heard of.
Speaker 2: That's true too, That's possible if Rifftrek taught me anything. It's that. Yeah, Like I know who Cameron Mitchell is for Pete's sake, is that he's one of those guys who's in a million movies that you've.
Speaker 1: Never heard of, but you recognize his face.
Speaker 2: Face name. Yeah, I think I actually know some of his family members.
Speaker 1: Now right, I'm gonna have to look this guy up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man, it will take you on an odyssey. And don't even bother watching the original version of the movies. Just watch the riff track version of Cameron Mitchell's movies.
Speaker 1: Uh a rare in store or in show. Look up Cameron Mitchell. Huh oh no, he's a restaurateur.
Speaker 2: That's not him. Look at Cameron Mitchell's Space Mutiny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know that guy. Was he in Plan nine?
Speaker 2: Maybe he really might have been?
Speaker 1: Well, and now I'm seeing a picture of him as an older gentleman, and I've seen him in movies as an older gentleman too.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Space Mutiny, that's a really great rift tracks to start with.
Speaker 1: Those guys are the best.
Speaker 2: And wait, actually I think that's an MST three K to start watch both versions? How about that?
Speaker 1: All right, well that's what I meant.
Speaker 2: But yeah, okay, so do you want to take a break, Chuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's take a break and talk more about old Internet right after.
Speaker 2: This, okay, Chuck. So we said we were going to take a stroll down Internet memory lane. And this was a time when, like I think the year before six degrees launched, Craigslist launched, Amazon dot Com launched, and they were just selling books at the time. Yeah. One of the big search engines was ask Jeeves, and it was revolutionary because you could use natural language rather than have to figure out exactly what keyword you needed to put in to get results with licos. Yeah, yeah, totally, which, by the way, asked Jesus, ask dot com. Did you know that?
Speaker 1: I think I did know that. I knew it changed into something. They just got rid of Jeeves, which is super sad.
Speaker 2: I know, it is pretty sad. They retired him. He went off to live on a farm, as they say, yeah, which means they killed him.
Speaker 1: How six degrees worked, though, is interesting because not only was it the name copped from six degrees of separation, they actually organized the website in such a way and it seemed like part of the fun of it. And again, this is early Internet. If you're a youngster out there, you may think this is super funny that people thought this was fun, But it seems like part of the fund SixDegrees dot com was finding people you didn't know and then tracing that connection through the website.
Speaker 2: Right. So one of the things that you would do is go through the I guess the registry of other six degree users, and there were so few initially that you could do that. Rather than go through three and a half million people, it was just a few hundred potentially, and you'd be like, oh, I know them, I know them, and you would make a connection with them. They would confirm it, and now you were a first degree connection. You two were because you actually know each other.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, and you, like you said, you had to confirm that connection. But you could also include people who weren't on it yet, like I'm just going to list out my family members or whatever and put their email addresses in. Keep in mind, this is at a time where you didn't get a lot of email. You didn't get much, if any spam email, and sometimes getting an email was like, oh wow, look at this, this is cool.
Speaker 2: It's cool.
Speaker 1: So if you think about that now, like oh yeah, just put all your family and friends and put their emails in. That's like a fireable offense, like socially.
Speaker 2: You go to jail.
Speaker 1: I think you can. But back then it was a different deal. So you can include people put their emails and they would get an email asking for confirmation and saying and also, do you want to sign up for the school new thing? No, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: So the people that knew the people you knew, but you weren't directly connected to them, you were now second degree connected with them. And then those people were connected to people that you didn't know, and they were third degree connections. I think it didn't go beyond third degree, Like they didn't go all the way up to six. I think that was totally unnecessary. But this was like, yeah, this is very groundbreaking and revolutionary, and people were just amazed by people they knew. And the point was like, who do your friends know that you want to know that you don't know yet. Now you can make a first degree connection with those people if they confirm you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's the way. It was sort of like a predecessor to LinkedIn. I mean, you'll see again, like you said, like seeds of all the social media websites. They were doing it because you could create a profile with your professional affiliations and stuff like that. You were encouraged and I think most people probably really did use their real identities because at the time people were like, well, what kind of a weirdo would just create some fake identity on the internet just to mess with people. So there were real people on there. That was a member of the trust E Data Privacy Program, which has now been bundled up under trust ARC. But email was very central to it all. It was not an app. They didn't have apps yet. You would get an email asking for confirmation, you would reply via email. You would add others via email, so it was just a different time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there were I mean you would add your hobbies, you would add who you worked for, what degrees you had maybe so yeah, again, lots of seeds of linked In for sure. Again no pictures, and this was a huge stumbling block, as we'll see. But they did have other functionality that was thrilling. It had basically in network emailing, right, so you could directly contact your context had they confirmed you. They are bulletin boards where you could essentially chat, and I think they had a bunch of other kind of and whistles that they added over the years. They had something called channels, which were essentially special interest groups and you could be like, oh, I'm interested in business and finance, or I'm interested in games I think, meaning at the time nothing but Oregon Trail, right, and you could just go and find other people on these message boards that were interested in these things and maybe make some context if they confirmed you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, again, way ahead of its time with Facebook groups, that's exactly what they did. We got some and you can go look these up if you want to see like screenshots of what the screen looked like. I believe we were sent one from October nineteen ninety nine a welcome scream scream screen, and it was it was cute. It looked like a fun website of the day. It had a service marketplace. There was daily trivia on the homepage that this is hysterical. There was a daily poll, and on that day in October nineteen ninety nine, this was the poll. When you get a chain letter from a friend, you a immediately throw it away, B do what it says asap, c hold on to it for a while, and then lose it. So it's clearly they weren't like super future facing. If they were like chain letters, that's relatable, right right.
Speaker 2: I found on also Chuck from February twenty ninth, two thousand, so that was a leap here. It was the question of the day was Bill and Monica, and then your choices were love lust and as long as it's not Hillary, that was the question of the day.
Speaker 1: That's pretty funny. By that time, six or eight months after the October one that was sent, and probably in the February one that you saw, there were little nuggets of engagement boosting that they were trying to use, like hey, here's some content, here's some like join this mother's day group, or we're going to spotlight this channel it was. They would tell how many people were online at that moment, which in the October nineteen nine Ney No, I was five hundred and ten people, which sounds very funny. But I distinctly remember being in like chat rooms where they would say like like three hundred people are in there, and I would it would blow my mind.
Speaker 2: That there were that many.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just seemed like, oh my god, dude, I'm in my living room in New Jersey and I'm on this computer and there are three hundred people around the world that I can talk to right now.
Speaker 2: That's neat And what did you say that?
Speaker 1: Well? I did have one specific interaction with someone. Of course, at the time, I thought it was a real girl about our love of Cat Stevens, and we had a real back and forth going and a lot in common. And I'm sure that was probably a nine year old boy.
Speaker 2: You got cat fished over Cat Stevens.
Speaker 1: I might have, who knows, but I remember thinking like, hey man, this girl sounds super cool and there are no pictures so a bit you know, she's cute as far as I know.
Speaker 2: Well, a nine year old boy who's into Cat Stevens is probably pretty cool too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that probably would have been a better life unfriend to chat about real music, right.
Speaker 2: Another thing I saw on that February two thousand page was the theme of the week, and this theme was to thine own self improve. So there was like you could click on to zen practice Group, self help, functui, Reiki, there's a book club. They were just throwing everything they could at this to just get people to interact more and more and more, because it would the more engaged you were, the more likely you were to send out those emails to your friends and be like, hey, join me on here. It's pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: So maybe let's talk about pictures real quick and then we'll take a break, because the lack of pictures is the big deal, especially when you look at the modern Internet. A website with just text and maybe you know, clip art and stuff like that isn't super engaging obviously. So the reason why they didn't have pictures is because there was no way to get pictures there. You know, there weren't digital cameras. The There was the Apple Quick Take one hundred that was released a few years before. If you look up pictures of this it's about the size of a sandwich, kind of funny looking. It was the first digital camera. It costs seven hundred and fifty bucks. The Canon Power Shot was the first digital camera that could write images to a hard disk. That was released kind of one yeah, one year before six degrees came online in nineteen ninety six. That was almost one thousand dollars, had one hundred and seventy six megs of storage. But the first camera phone didn't come along until ninety nine, and that was a Kyo Serrah Visual Phone VP two ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was actually cheap, considering it's six hundred and thirty four bucks in today's dollars for a camera phone. It was a point eleven megapixel camera. For comparison, the iPhone sixteen has as much as forty eight megapixels. Yeah, but if you look up some of like the the promotional images of this, there's like like Japanese women holding the phone that's showing a picture of themselves. You can clearly see who it is. Yes, that's another word for it. I'm using nineteen ninety seven. Yeah, terminology though they like you can see you can tell it's them. I think one version of it is in color. It's not that bad, especially for you can tell them. Yeah, you don't have to like like squint your eyes to make the pixels come together. And you're like, is that popeye? It's like you can tell it's them. I guess yeah. I was impressed by it.
Speaker 1: So it did its most basic function as an image capturing device, yes, being able to tell it was that same right.
Speaker 2: Oh. One other thing I saw about the Apple quick Take one hundred. At its highest resolution, it could store up to eight photos at once. Whoa, this is so much fun. I love making fun of the early Internet.
Speaker 1: I know that we live through. This is also a true story. Winreich, the founder, would get emails where people would say, hey, can I snail mail you a physical photo? I have it? Can I send it to you via the US Postal Service? And can you scan it and attach it to my profile because you really need pictures on this thing.
Speaker 2: Right, And they were like maybe. And then somebody around the table at the bull session said, well, what if people want to start like updating or changing their photos? And Andrew Wine I think it's wine Rich maybe, said yeah, let's just skip that, all right. Okay, No, no, I'm saying wine Rich said that not us. Oh yeah, yeah, Well there's like a rare intro edit that didn't get edited on purpose.
Speaker 1: Should we take that break now?
Speaker 2: I feel like we need two.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, I'm going to go do twenty pushups for that and they'll be right back. All right, So Winrich, it's wine Rich, wine Rich. I think wine Rich.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how. I think it was Wikipedia that had the pronunciation, and I think he said wine.
Speaker 1: Rich okay, all right, maybe he was trying to seem less German.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah. That always reminds me of that part in thirty Rock where Tina Fey is like, well, she's apologizing and she said, I'm very sorry, like mister Wiener slav and he said, it's Wiener slave.
Speaker 1: That's such a good joke.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen Unbreakable, Kimmy Schmidt? Have you seen that yet?
Speaker 1: I watched it when it I mean when it came out years ago. I watched the first like season or so.
Speaker 2: There aren't that many shows that can make me actually laugh out loud, and that's one of them. And it's because Jeter is one of the best comedy writers to ever live.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed. I don't have you seen the Four Seasons yet?
Speaker 2: No, I'm avoiding it. I saw that it's a remake of an Allan all the film, and I have a strict policy not to watch late seventies early eighties Allen all the films or their remakes.
Speaker 1: Oh God, your distaste for Alan Alda is truly disturbing.
Speaker 2: The thing is, I've got nothing against Alan Alda personally. It's just those kind of movies. Same with Elliott Gould. I can't stand those kind of movies like where it's just like like, hey, I can't even do an impression of it, but I can't stand those kind of movies. And somebody out there knows what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Elliott gould kind of movies, Yes.
Speaker 2: Whether it's Capricorn one or that Shaggy Dog movie that he's in he plays the detective.
Speaker 1: I will say that one movie I think you would like is The Long Goodbye.
Speaker 2: That's the one I'm talking about. That's the Shaggy Dog Detective one. I don't think I would.
Speaker 1: What does Shaggy Dog Detective mean? I don't know.
Speaker 2: So Shaggy Dog is where like there's this whole build up of like say, a mystery or something, and it turns out to be nothing, Like there's really no point to the movie in the end.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So I thought you would like The Longabye great Robert Altman.
Speaker 2: Noir, and I like Robert Allman stuff too.
Speaker 1: Raymond Chandler book. No, still nothing, Huh.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't if you made it. No, I can't make if you made it before Elliott Gould was in it, I would probably watch it, all.
Speaker 1: Right, fair enough?
Speaker 2: Wait one more thing? Yeah, yeah, speaking of great directors, I finally saw a ghost dog way of the sam But Jarmish, did you see that ever?
Speaker 1: I saw that in the theater, Buddy.
Speaker 2: I was guessing that you had. That is such a good movie, man. I can't believe that slipped under my radar because that totally was in my wheelhouse for that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Jarmish is the best. And Forest Whitaker was so good in that. Yes, he was good music too. Yeah, all right, where how did that start? Winwreck trying to seem less German? This is the six degrees of that conversation. Yeah, winter slave. So here's what wine rich.
Speaker 2: Wait, there's one other thing that reminds me of too, can you remember we were talking about the vanity license plate episode. Yeah, uh huh, And like the greatest misconstrued vanity plate of all time is where the guy had j is Lord, like Jesus's Lord, but it's all one word, so it says jizz lord Lord. That's the greatest vanity plate anyone's ever had.
Speaker 1: Oh, that definitely beats as Man even.
Speaker 2: I think so too, which is a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really.
Speaker 2: Funny, especially taking it in the content.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. Yeah, who that guy was to be that you know, dedicated of a Christian to do that on your license plate, and that's what you end.
Speaker 2: Up with rolling up the church with Jiz Lord on your car.
Speaker 1: Man, Well you can make a movie about that.
Speaker 2: Was starring Elliott Gould Lord.
Speaker 1: So win Rich said, and this is a quote that just kind of shows how far ahead of his time he was. His vision. It is a bun clear to me that the world will index all of their relations everyone's relationship in a single database. And that was like before anyone else is doing it. So they started off this thing as a just with a launch, like a physical launch event, a party in New York City. They had two hundred invited guests, and those were the first two hundred members, and they were like, now you all go out and and make this a thing inviting your friends. So I'm curious who those two hundred people were. That's a pretty interesting way to start at site like this.
Speaker 2: I think there were a lot of tech savvy people who were kind of like probably prime to take part in this to begin with. And I think at first they were adding like fifty new users a day, wow, which again that's really small and thin. Even for the time. This was pretty small. But they're doing this through like email and stuff, you know, like it's it's really it's a weird transfer from online world to real world. It straddled both because it had to. Another good example of that is that they would use reps to go to campus to sign people up, just like that same credit card model that credit card companies used to screw college kids' parents out of a thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember I had the AMEX College card. And the only reason I got it I didn't even really want need a credit card, but you got three Delta flight vouchers who when you signed up for that card, so I got three plane flights.
Speaker 2: So where'd you go, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Well, I do remember, because I know I went to LA for the first time to visit my brother when he lived there. Nice when I was in college.
Speaker 2: Did you go visit the six or nine year old Cat Stevens fan?
Speaker 1: I did, and that was a seventy five year old woman.
Speaker 2: Wow. Man, this story goes all over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it took it quite a weird turn. But we're still good friends. She's still whether she's one hundred and two.
Speaker 2: Oh really, yeah, that's cool. Man. Does she listen to the podcast or is she like.
Speaker 1: Nah, only Cat Stevens all the time.
Speaker 2: That would get kind of old, I think.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about the end of this thing, because, as we all know, it's not still around. Although doctor Claw said if you went there had a homepage, I went there and I got an error.
Speaker 2: Gateway time out the old five oh four.
Speaker 1: Same here, the old five oh four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I but it's there. It's if it weren't a domain that was active, it would come back as like, hey, you want to buy this domain, but it doesn't do that. It just is so slow that you can't connect to it. But it does domain to be there. Six degrees dot com sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean considering the public knowledge of just that term. It's like you try go to trying going out these days and getting a better domain name.
Speaker 2: You know, you can't do it, You just can't.
Speaker 1: Don't feel too bad for wine Rich or Reich or Rick because he sold in nineteen ninety nine for one hundred and one hundred and twenty five million in stock options in youth Stream Media Networks. But this, you know, if you know anything about Internet history, you know that this thing shut down in ninety nine and what that meant. That dot com bubble right there on the horizon in two thousand shut down more websites than you could check a stick out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and actually you can feel pretty bad for a wine Rich because he took it that one hundred and twenty five million dollars in stock and a company that folded like months later because it was debt financed. So I don't know how much he actually walked away with, especially if there was possibly a blackout in him selling those stock options.
Speaker 1: Oh so yeah, yeah, what you're saying is youth Stream itself also went under.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, because they were just borrowing, bar and borrowing, and that's how they existed, and then when the when the dot com bubble burst, they were worth nothing, and so that stock was worth nothing. I looked, I couldn't find how much he actually did make from that sale, like.
Speaker 1: And we'll never find that out.
Speaker 2: No, and that usually means that it's not a very good amount. Yeah, they like to leak that stuff when it's like eye popping, but when it's not, they're like, oh, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good point. The other problem was it was very early in the Internet and that monetization was a real struggle. They had some ads, of course, I believe their Question of the Day had an actual sponsor, but it was just a little bit too early, Like right after they fell off, Friendster came along that also failed again, but then MySpace and Facebook. Just just on the heels of this. He did make some other dough off of it. I think the patent that he had with six degrees for the software for the platform he sold for seven hundred thousand real dollars to the CEO of LinkedIn and the CEO Mark Pinkus a website called Tribe and they were both Friendster investors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and read Hoffmann and he said he and Mark Pinkas were like essentially fans, like they were like Winrich is a god here he this patent not only is for the software, it's for the methodology of creating an online social network. No when it ever come up with something like that before. So they actually kind of bought it for a song. I looked and LinkedIn is apparently definitively not built on six degrees architecture, and it never was. But it almost seems like they were either taking it to learn from it or almost like they were buying like some memorabilia. Oh, they were fans of I almost got that an impression from an interview with Reid Hoffman.
Speaker 1: Oh, very interesting. Andrew Weinreich went on to, do you know a lot of more things like this. He's kind of a serial entrepreneur. And again it seems like he was always right there before the real thing came along, because he had something called Meet Moi as an Moi frinch for me, right, Yeah, yeah, I thought so. I was just making sure. But that was a location based dating app, and it was basically this idea that like hey, dating app or dating websites are really tough even at the time of the early Internet and like, let's at least connect people who are physically close and it might be easier to get real dates. The dating part of that business was bought by the parent company Amatch dot com, once again just right there next to the thing, and he and his Memewhile co founder bought out the business analytics part of their own company and use it to found a data analytics company called Indicative.
Speaker 2: Which is still around from what I can tell.
Speaker 1: And all right, so maybe he's done right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so this was I mean, this was very early two thousands too, and they were like they were using like location tracking data at the time, and that was huge and new, and so they kept that. I think they ended up either selling it or licensing to a company called Xtifi not a very good name. I should call it twitter Ifi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they had some like high profile clients. They had Ritz Carlton, they had Staples, they had Sephora publisher's clearinghouse.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So they were they were using those location apps to advertise to you and send you push notifications on your phone, which sadly means that Andrew Weinrich is going to be going to hell for that.
Speaker 1: I mean, did he create that idea.
Speaker 2: I wonder he gave or he sold exsify the ability to do that, so.
Speaker 1: And then I bought them, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'm not sure how much he made from these buyouts. I hope a lot, because again, this guy is like coming up with ideas and making stuff happen long before they can become viable. And a lot of people probably have gotten very rich off the back of his ideas too. So I hope he's doing well.
Speaker 1: Maybe if he's listening, or if someone knows him through their degrees of connectivity, just get to him and have him email us at Stuff podcast at iHeartMedia dot com and just send us your bank statement. That's right, And well know.
Speaker 2: I want to specify by doing well, I don't mean just financially. I mean I hope his well being is sens of well being is totally nice and inflated and happy, and you know that he's he's living a good life.
Speaker 1: No, I agree. I cheapened it by making it financial. And that's why you're the heart of the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's me. I'm the one you're not supposed to touch. Remember.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Oh, one thing that I did see that he's doing now is a podcast called Predicting Our Future. It's about what life is going to be like in the fairly near future. It's pretty cool, fantastic, So, Chuck, I think there's that's it for six degrees dot com. We got forty minutes out of it.
Speaker 1: Hey, not bad, lots of fun stories in between.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what did you just say in between? Right? Well, then that means it's time for listener mail.
Speaker 1: Boy. I'm glad I always know the trigger word.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing you never fail each episode. Go me yep.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, I'm a forty something man with autism who lives on his own and the need for impression management hit close home. So this was I remember about. We even speculated about impression management that we might hear from some people with autism.
Speaker 2: This was a great email.
Speaker 1: It's a great This is a Josh curated even I simply cannot match the body language of others and have to fake it. I don't instinctively smile or look angry. People say I have an almost disturbing calm demeanor. Being calm sounds great, but it has gotten me searched for additional screening. At twenty airports and even strip searched at one. When people grill you for questioning a straight answer without fear frustrates the hell out of people whose job it is to make you feel uncomfortable. To help mask my autism, I wear sunglasses to hide my eyes. Because of that, I've gotten the nickname terminator. A flat affect. Direct language doesn't help either. Discrimination is very real, guys, But I like to say, getting angry at a person with autism who doesn't adhere to societal norms, it's like getting angry at a person with one leg that doesn't run marathons. Hopefully people who listen will give people with a bit of a quirk some slack. Thanks from a long time listener that is Matt.
Speaker 2: I'm glad Matt wrote that one, and that was a good email, and I think he probably speaks for a lot of people in that situation.
Speaker 1: Totally good reminder to everybody, and something that, like we talked about on that episode, as we've gotten older, we try to sort of think about not just that, but what everyone's going through in their life and maybe they're not having their best day when you meet them. You know.
Speaker 2: Yep, too true, Chuck, too true. If you want to be like Matt and send us a world class email, we would love that. You can send it off to Stuff Podcasts at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.