Speaker 1: To Charlamagne to God, here's a Doncy's.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Charlamagne, you've given donkey of the day to who.
Speaker 3: Now well buster rhymes donkey of today for Wednesday, February twenty six goals to Shawn Simpson. Sean Simpson is a sixteen year old North Carolina teenager who broke down in tears in court after being charged as an adult for murder. Let's go to fix to forty six for the report.
Speaker 1: Please.
Speaker 4: Sean Simpson came into Gaston County Court at points, wiping away his tears as he stood before a judge. Just sixteen years old. He's being charged with first green murder as an adult. That's as a result of a law change that wenting to effect in the Zimber, which allows teens his age to be charged as an adult in certain crimes. There is a realization that during this proceeding that the gravity was hitting him a grand jury in Diamond that could come in the near future, and the moment that hit when a judge told him that he would not be seeing freedom anytime soon.
Speaker 3: Court made as a hold without on court finals fishing allegations support.
Speaker 4: Charging concert was something that Sequatius Dawkins's family says they needed to be here for Simpson, accused of killing Dawk at Sunday night a long Chester Street. Simpson also accused with attempted first screen murder involving another victim. Dawkin's family says he was going to get medical supplies for his mother when he was killed.
Speaker 3: I would say this is a teachable moment, but I've been alive forty six years and I haven't seen too many of you learn yet. Okay, all of these are rerun Sadly, I don't understand why we aren't breaking this cycle. I don't understand why we aren't learning. I mean, truthfully, this is me at sixteen or seventeen. Of course I never killed anyone, but I've been in dumb ass situations like this. When I was sixteen or seventeen, I went to jail for a Sultan Barridy would intend to kill. Okay, the charge got changed, the point in presenting a firearm. But I was literally just in the backseat of a car and one of my homieshot at another car.
Speaker 2: Just dumb and young and reckless.
Speaker 3: Wasn't about nothing, just teenage kids who don't really know any better. I wrote about it and my first book, Black Privilege. Opportunity comes to those who created. And the reason I'm telling this story is because when my homie shot, there was three.
Speaker 1: People in the car.
Speaker 3: The bullet hit the headrest of de seit nobody was sitting in the empty seat behind the passenger seat.
Speaker 2: But what if that seat wasn't empty?
Speaker 3: Then I go to jail for assessory to murder unless I snitched, which I probably would have. My point is, trouble is easy to get into and hard to get out of, and none of us have the timestone from the Marvel Cinematic universe. Okay, the timestone allows to use it to control time. You can rewind, fast forward, travel through time. When you see this young man, Sean Simpson break down like that in court, don't you think he wouish he had a timestone so he could rewind the time and not do what he did.
Speaker 2: Of course he would, of course.
Speaker 3: Okay, Sean and the young man he killed, the Equavius Dawkins, had a fight, according to People Magazine the previous year at Ashbrook High School. I don't know who won to fight, but it clearly wasn't Sean. And guess what kids. You got to learn to take an ass with it, okay, because these are just all hypotheticals I'm about to spew. But if you fight, get your ass with even if it goes viral. So what, Okay, when anger rises, think of the consequences. Would you rather go viral because you got your ass beating in school? Or would you rather go viral because you in the courtroom getting charged with murder? And then when you get charged with murder, you looking like Simbols screaming, screaming out after Mufossa got trampled by the wilderbeace. Okay, this is exactly what Simba felt in that moment, a mix of shock, grief, and disbelief.
Speaker 2: But the grief you.
Speaker 3: Feel spending the rest of your life in jail because you getting charged as an adult isn't the same as the grief as Equavi as his mother feels. So I don't feel bad for you, Okay. I'm sad about the situation because two young black men aren't going to have a future in society.
Speaker 1: You know, keeps failing these young men.
Speaker 3: I read that Sean is being held in the Gaston Adolescent Center, where he has been undergoing treatment Okay. The center treats children and adolescents that have significant emotional and behavioral difficulties. Now, I'm not the highest grade weed in the dispensary, but why wasn't he getting this treatment before he committed a murder?
Speaker 1: I guess I still to say allegedly, but allegedly, Okay.
Speaker 3: There had to be signs, There had to be some type of disciplinary issues at home and in school, but.
Speaker 1: Those signs were clearly ignored.
Speaker 3: But of course we don't get people help and tell us way too late. And that's what I'm sad about. Okay, these things could be prevented. But I don't feel bad for Sean. Okay, because the Equavius was walking to a store to buy items for his disabled mother, and that's when Sean sat him. That's when Seawan shot them. Okay, listen, let me read what it says. Okay, this, this is what it says happened in People magazine. I'm gonna read this, and you tell me what movie. This sounds like the Equavius and his friend walking the family dollar to get items for Equavius his mother. A black tesla drives past, and a boy in the backseat identified as Sean Simpson shot something out the window, the Quavius and his friend began to run. When the car returns again, Sean Simpson allegedly starts shooting from the back and that's how Poors Equavius got shot and killed.
Speaker 1: What movie? Does that sound like? Boys in the Day? But this ain't no movie? Dog? Okay?
Speaker 3: Is Equavius is dead for real because Sean Simpson made a choice that he is clearly now regretting and that he clearly can't change.
Speaker 1: And destiny is not a matter of chance. It's always a matter of choice.
Speaker 3: And I'm sad that Sean Simpson didn't make a better choice. But I'm not moved by Sean Simpson's tears. I'm not moved by his outbursting court. You know why, because I know it's Equavius Dawkin's mother is crying way harder than Sean ever will. Okay, there's a quote, and the quote is everyone makes mistakes in life, but that doesn't mean they have to pay for them for the rest of their life. Kids, I want to tell y'all that quote is a lie. Okay, Yes, everyone makes mistakes in life, and depending what that mistake is, you will probably pay for it for the rest of your life literally, and first degree murder in North Carolina, there is absolutely a life sentence. Please give Sean Simpson the biggest he huh, sixteen years old man, sixteen, sixteen years old.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: But for me, it was him breaking down realizing what it is like you know too late.
Speaker 5: No, it is you know you out here trying to be a y n about to go.
Speaker 1: To jail and be a yba.
Speaker 2: No, I'm sorry, I don't.
Speaker 5: I do not be feeling sorry for like yo, come on, like that little boy not here no more. This was all because you you couldn't just fight him, You couldn't just keep fighting him.
Speaker 2: Just that.
Speaker 5: And I used to be back in the day before you go get a gun, you keep fighting until you win or whatever.
Speaker 3: Just well, I mean people used to come back blasting too, we said, we used to say the same thing back to the day.
Speaker 2: I think now it's heightened because it's recorded and it goes viral. Not a world sees it opposed to just your hood. Yeah, but it happens often, like almost happened. It happens a lot.
Speaker 6: It was like guns are more accessible, yeah, like like what was at a higher rate, right, because growing up you probably only well, I I'm from New York. Country is a lot different, but you might have only known one person with a gun, yeah, or maybe two people.
Speaker 2: What you was scared, yo, honestly because we didn't have guns.
Speaker 6: And then if in New York, you would automatically get I think it's two years or three years in prison if you were found.
Speaker 2: With a gun.
Speaker 1: So I'm forty six years old. Gun violence has been going on at the time, but I didn't know.
Speaker 6: Now it seems like every kid has a gun, like, like, not just small guns, I mean AARs, I mean shotguns.
Speaker 1: I means.
Speaker 2: Just like you, something like a little different, like this is a new conversation. No, we're not acting like this is a new conversation. Conversation, don't have the same.
Speaker 3: No, No, been going on since the beginning of time and even and by the way, I just mentioned wanting Tovie boys in the hood, right, this is the same scenario for minutes of society.
Speaker 2: Society dude get beat up and he comes back blasting.
Speaker 3: This is life, sadly, Yeah, and that's why I said the cycle doesn't ever break. This has been going on for a long long time. I'm not gonna sit here and tell that lie. Like you know, gun violence has not been prevalent for a long time.
Speaker 2: It has been. It seems like it's gotten worse in the last last couple of years.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, it's just when somebody who's got a different opinion respected and shut out.
Speaker 3: Maybe we just care more because we're adults now, because think about it, when you were when we was young, we used to glorify it. We was young, you kind of used to celebrate it a lot. Right, That's just the fact.
Speaker 6: That let's open up the phone lines about this kid. Eight hundred five eight five, one oh five to one. Do you feel bad for this kid? He's sixteen years old, he allegedly shot two teams. He's not going to be charged as a child, He's going to be charged as an adult. He broke down and caught yesterday crying, so you can tell where his mind frame is.
Speaker 2: Eight hundred five eight five one oh five one.
Speaker 6: Let's discuss, Yeah, let's discuss. You feel sympathy. Do you feel sad for this young man?
Speaker 3: Something was sad for the situation of the cycle that never seems to the end.
Speaker 2: I'm sad for the little boy. Mother my head's that's part of the cycles. Listen, but that's that's who I'm I'm said for.
Speaker 6: Let's talk about it. We'll take phone calls, we'll talk about it and the death when we come back.
Speaker 1: It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Good morning Dog here today is sponsored by renowned personal injury attorney Michael to Buller Ammon Soft.
Speaker 2: Don't be a donkey when you need a fighter on your side. If you're ever injured, go.
Speaker 3: To Michael to Bull dot com. That's Michael the Bull dot com. And when you mess with the Bull, you get the horns.
Speaker 2: Wake that ass up in the morning. Breakfast Club