Speaker 1: Amazon ready to activate Sidewalk should you opt out? Warner Brothers going to release movies in a totally new way. Wise makes a twenty dollars smart watch. Plus your tech questions answered?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: I'm Rich Dmurro and this is Rich on Tech, the podcast where I talk about the tech stuff I.
Speaker 2: Think you should know about.
Speaker 1: It's also the place where I answer the questions that you send me.
Speaker 2: Hope you're having a great day.
Speaker 1: Rich DeMuro with you tech reporter at KTLA Channel five in Los Angeles. If you're listening for the first time, welcome. If you're listening for the one hundredth time, I'm sorry now, I'm just kidding. I always say that why am I so deprecating on this podcast is that the word I should have a list of words that I don't really know that I use in this podcast, because it happens often where I have to like look them up and be like, wait, did I mean that? So lots of things happening in the DeMuro house. It is the slide to the holidays. I've been very busy with all kinds of reviews and testing and this and that, but I did do something with my own home network. I did upgrade to Eero Pro six, so this is Euro's new It's basically their top of the line system that you know. I purchased this myself. This is not a test for you know TV. This is just something I wanted because it works with gigabit Internet, which is what I have at my house, and the Eero Pro six. I got a great deal because what they were doing was they were doing a trade in promotion where you got like twenty percent off if you traded in one of your old routers, and then they also had like a deal. It was like a Cyber Monday, Black Friday kind of deal.
Speaker 2: So I jumped on it. I got it. It's great the Internet.
Speaker 1: I guess access points whatever you call them, are enormous compared to the old ones, so there must be something better in there. But I will tell you with all that, my speed is still just okay. I mean I'm literally doing a speed test right now on my computer and it's coming in at eighty eight ninety two, ninety six ninety four out of a thousand, So I still have some work to do, clearly, and getting this thing set up and working. I think it has something to do with two things going on every time when I switch my routers out, I am. I have like a million devices here that all latch on, so I use the same Wi Fi network and password, and so I think there might be some device that's keeping things like from working properly.
Speaker 2: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I gotta figure this out, because when I connect directly to my modem's it's totally getting me the gig. When I'm in my main room, it's getting about six hundred if I do a good speed test and then a sort as soon as I get away from it, it's getting less.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's just the makeup of my home that just doesn't lend itself to fast. But I want fast in every room, like I want exactly what I'm paying for in every room, and I'm just not getting it. So I need to figure out what's going on there. But anyway, the Eero Pro six is a good system overall. I mean, I've noticed that it's definitely a little bit more reliable than the old one I had, which was the old Eero Pro, like less lag and stuff like that. So I'm just trying to iron out the kinks here. But anyway, I will continue to test that, and so far, so good. I think overall, I love that on certain phones, like especially the Android phones that I've been testing. There's like a little Wi Fi six signal on the in the Wi Fi bar, which I thought was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: In the icon, I'm like, yeah, I'm on that Wi Fi six.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it means or why it's better, but it seems to be better, so that's kind of fun. The other thing I've been testing is this ring mailbox sensor. If you follow me on Twitter or I think that's where I posted it. I was so excited the day I set this thing up because it occurred to me that you can link your ring video doorbell and also this little ring mailbox sensor which is thirty dollars to your Alexa. Oh there she goes, she's lighting up, listening nothing for you today, right now, Alexa stand down please?
Speaker 2: Oh she did. When I said that, wow, the lights on off.
Speaker 1: I didn't know if that's an actual command, but I linked up the ring stuff and next thing, you know, when my mail get you put this little sensor in your mailbox and it you know, it just basically tells you when you get your mail delivered. And so you can get a notification on your phone or your Apple Watch if you got one of those. And you can also rig it so that your Alexa says whatever you want. And for me, I said, you've got mail, and I had to do you've and like I had to like write it in a different way, because you can't use any sort of punctuation, Like the apostrophe is not an acceptable character. So I spelled it like youve or something like that. And sure enough, when the mail gets delivered. Now I hear at a little chime in my office and it says you've got mail, and it's great. I mean, why would you not want that? I have been obsessed with mail my entire life. And there's people, Okay, there's two types of people in this world. People that are obsessed with the mail and people that don't care. So there are there's a group of people in America that when their mail is delivered, they look forward to it and they do go check it immediately or they check it pretty quickly. I've used to be like the immediate kind. Now I'm somewhere in the middle. I try to go like a week without checking if I can, But that's really really tough, but because I'm not really getting anything. I just like the idea of mail. I don't really get anything of substance, but except bills of course, which you know who.
Speaker 2: Wants to open those?
Speaker 1: But anyway, I've been loving that and i'll have that next week in Tech Smart on KTLA.
Speaker 2: I'll talk about that.
Speaker 1: The other thing that I've been oh, by the way, I love what Ring is doing. I mean, I'm going to talk about Amazon Sidewalk in a second, and you know, poo poo all over Ring, But but right now, I really love I think that there's two companies that are just doing such cool stuff, and one of them is Ring. When you go on their website and just look at how many products they have, it's like, whoa, you could outfit your entire house with all their stuff, and I kind of want to do that now. And then the other one is Why Is and I'll talk about them today in the show as well. Another app that I discovered this week was eXplorist, which I had not ever heard of, but it is an app that is on iPhone and Android and it's really cool. It's an app that sort of helps you discover cool places to take pictures. And I'm sure if you're a photographer, you've known all about this. But I'm not a big photographer, but now I want to be because I'm looking at this and it's just super super cool. So it's cool because it gives you locations that are nearby. So if you're in a city and you want to take all the coolest pictures you can when you start traveling again, right, I need a sound for this podcast, because that's why it feels. I did travel last weekend safely. Of course, we went to solving and it was a nightmare, honestly, Like I I it was the straw that broke the camel's back from me. Not that I'm traveling a lot, but I always have this idea of yeah, I could still do stuff like yeah, and no, I just it. There's a lot of people there and it was just not fun. It was like, you know, you had to eat outside in the freezing cold and this and that, and it's just it was not fun. It made me realize that I like my safe space here at home throughout this pandemic. This is where I've lived and I've nested, and I just like it because it's my place it's safe. I know what happens here, I know it comes, I know it goes, and it just it's where I can be who I want to be, which is a home by right now. And I have dreams of going out of the house, but then you get out and it's like, you know, the mask thing and the you know, the all the social distancing, and it's just not fun. It's like not the way we want our world to be. And yes, I do think you need to be safe, so of course, if you're out and about, you need to follow all those protocols. But it's exhausting, let's be honest. And so I just realized this weekend that it was just kind of exhausting and sad and I'd just rather be at home. And so that's where I'm gonna be staying from now on until these vaccines start to work on folks and whatever happens and these numbers go down.
Speaker 2: So anyway, all right, I'm done with all that.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about Amazon sidewalk big story. Amazon sent out this email to folks probably about two weeks ago, maybe a week saying, Hey, we're gonna turn on sidewalk and by the way, it's gonna be on by default.
Speaker 2: Wait, what back up?
Speaker 1: What is sidewalk? What is what's going on here? And what does it involve? And here's the basic of sidewalk is that it's a new communications network that Amazon is sort of launching using their Ring and Echo products as the router. So if you imagine that this is a big, big Wi Fi network across the US, the routers are going to be these Echo and Ring products, and the Internet they're getting to put into these things is coming from your home internet. So what they're doing is they're taking just a little tiny bit of your home Internet and sort of rebroadcasting it to the whole crowd. And yes, they're doing this in a way that they say is safe, in private and encrypted, and they're only using a portion of your band with less than five hundred megabytes a month. And the benefit is that all of these Amazon devices and Tile devices at the beginning, and theoretically other smart home devices will always have a signal to latch onto no matter what.
Speaker 2: So let's just give an example.
Speaker 1: Let's say out on your front lawn, you have a ring smart light like one of these you know, these walkway lights that you know, you know, the typical way of setting it up. Right, You have to plug it in, turn it on, you have to open up the app on your phone, you have to connect, disconnect from your Wi Fi, connect directly to the Wi Fi on the device, or use Bluetooth, share your Wi Fi credentials with the device. Okay, disconnect, reconnect, disconnect, reconnect. Okay, finally it works. And now this little device is off on its own and it's connected to your Wi Fi and it works just fine until your Wi Fi goes out, and now you have to troubleshoot, and now this thing doesn't work anymore, it doesn't respond. So Amazon's idea is that if they can create this kind of super network called sidewalk that's just always pervasive in every network in every neighborhood. When you open up that same Ring app on your phone or Amazon app to set up a new device, it says.
Speaker 2: Oh, we see it. Is this your device right here?
Speaker 1: We can tell that it's proximity based with Bluetooth that it seems to be on your lawn.
Speaker 2: Is this yours? Okay?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Or maybe a scanic QR code on it whatever to link it.
Speaker 1: Up, and they say okay, and magically it goes through the sidewalk network to sort of connect and exchange the information that it needs and all that stuff, and it says, okay, all set up. What that was easy. So that's one aspect. The other aspect is, you know, a couple months down the line, your Wi Fi goes down and this little ring light on your lawn, Sorry, can't work anymore because I have no connection to anything, and I don't really know how to reconnect because I can't get to your internet. Well, if sidewalk was around, it would just go, oh, Rich's Wi Fi is not working anymore. Let's latch onto this sidewalk network that we find here, and okay, let me go send it a notification to Rich, Hey this is not working. We need to reconnect. And then you go, oh interesting, okay cool, and or just self heals somehow, you know.
Speaker 2: So that's a couple of the ways to use this.
Speaker 1: The other thing, and I think the one that Amazon is promoting a lot, is your pet has one of these tile trackers on it around their collar and next thing, you know, this that used to only work when someone's phone had Bluetooth nearby, can now latch onto this sidewalk network that theoretically is like everywhere now and wow, now you can find your devices or your pet anywhere. So that's another aspect. So if you want my thoughts on this, and I know that my thoughts are probably not the general thoughts, but I think it's pretty awesome. And yeah, you can sit there and say, Rich, I'm never listening to you again, because how dare you say that this is awesome? Because this sounds like an invasion of my privacy, and I get it, it does sound that way. But at the end of the day, what Amazon is trying to build here is actually pretty cool. It's a crowdsourced Wi Fi network that sort of goes anywhere and helps a lot of people. Now, yes, it helps their products the most, and theoretically or later on, they'll probably have other products that latch on, and Amazon may or may not charge these other products to latch onto this network that's being crowdsourced by our free internet. But I like the idea of my tile working everywhere. And I've had tiles in the past and I dropped them because I mean, I got rid of them because they're just not worth it. If if there's no phone in the area where your tile is It's just it's useless, and so what's the point. And with all these smart home stuff, I am deathly afraid of changing my Wi Fi password or network because all of my smart home devices will not follow through. Now if they were on this sidewalk thing. Guess what, Oh, you change your WiFi. You tell one time inside your app that you're changing your network credentials, and it says to all these little devices, oh, bing binging Rich changed all of his stuff here take it. And so, yes, there are privacy concerns. I get it, but I also see the benefit of this network. If it is robust and it is working in a big way, I think it's pretty darn cool. So with all that said, the main thing that a lot of the tech folks are having problems with is the fact that Amazon is turning on this network by default. And I take issue with that as well. But I see why they're doing it. They're doing it because they want to make sure as many products as possible are on board. Now, I mentioned it was Ring and Echo products. When it comes to the Ring side of things, it's this is the reason I did not show a video doorbell in my story on KTLA at all, it's because it doesn't affect the video doorbell for the broadcasting side of things, right, so the video doorbells are not going to be bridges, at least not now.
Speaker 2: And so the bridges.
Speaker 1: The things that are going to be broadcasting this network are the ring floodlights, so the things that are sort of like that you install on the side of your house. Those are the ones which not as many people have those, and also the spotlight cams. Then with the echo products, it is a lot. It's almost every echo that I know of. It's a lot of echo products which are everywhere.
Speaker 2: I mean, they have lots of echo.
Speaker 1: Even the little dot that I'm looking at right now would become a bridge, and this would broadcast this little low power network across my neighborhood. And you know what, I am going to stay on and I'm going to help this thing go because I kind of see the benefit of it and I kind of want to make it work. And so you know, you can disagree with me and say, Rich I'm opting out. I'm not going to do this, And I do agree that Amazon. I mean, they made the opt out instructions easy and clear, and they sent them to everyone, But give me a break. Ninety nine point nine percent of people that bought an Echo Dot for thirty bucks are not going to take the time to go into their Alexa app and switch this thing off. And Amazon knows that, and that's why they made this opt out and they said, oh, it's going to be on by default, by the way, And so I do take I do take issue with that. But at the same time, as a tech reporter, this is why I kind of, you know, made this a big deal on my social media and on KTLA and my other stations, because people need to know about this and they need to opt out if they're not comfortable. I'm not saying I'm not telling you whether you should be comfortable or not. I'm just telling you how I feel. And if you feel that same way, opt out. It's pretty easy. Just go into the app, open up your Alexa app, tap more, tap settings, tap account settings, tap Amazon Sidewalk, and switch it off and you're out if you don't want to be a part of it. But you know, if you do want to be a part of it. And this is you know, Amazon and all these tech companies, they try a lot of stuff, not all of it works. This may not take off. Who knows. As more of the mainstream media get gets word of this, you know, it'll probably blow up a little bit and people know about it and it'll be aware, and then maybe enough people will turn it off where it just doesn't work for Amazon and they'll have to figure out plan B. But we'll say they have enough products out there and enough people out there that won't really understand this that it may work and it will have some benefits and it will be free to people to use. I hope, I mean it can't. Could you imagine if they use our internet to power this thing and then end up charging for it. I mean, that would be a problem. But anyway, there you have that sidewalk now, you know. Let's get to our first question on the show. It is from Deborah. Deborah says, do you like Edge Browser? Is it compatible with Max? Chrome has been having issues, Safari has beach balls. I heard you were using it testing it out. Thanks Debra, Debra, you are correct. I have been using the Edge browser from Microsoft. In fact, it's what I'm looking at right now. And I never thought I would do this, but I did because Chrome was grinding to a halt on my MacBook, and it would do this weird thing where when I would first start up my MacBook and first start using Chrome, or actually just any time while I'm using it, it would just sort of freeze up and stop working, like literally just freeze and I couldn't do anything for about, you know, anywhere from ten seconds to thirty seconds. And it got pretty frustrating. And so I dealt with that for many, many months, and then I was like, okay, let me you know, and it's just slow. I can't do my WordPress posts in it. It's just really really slow. Checking email became so slow. Gmail inside Chrome became slow. I mean, how does that happen? Not very good? So I said, all right, you know what, and I tried Safari. And I like Safari because it's very fast, but I feel like it's limited with my extensions that I need. I need specific extensions that I use for my job, and I don't think I had all those. I'm not really sure because didn't really check it out. And so I said, you know what, let me check out Edge. Edge is kind of built on the same exact platform as Chrome. It's Microsoft, which is kind of weird. But honestly, I've been very impressed with other Microsoft products, like I've been using Outlook, I used OneDrive, I used I used Microsoft to Do and I'm kind of like, gosh, I feel like Microsoft's doing kind of a nice job of things, and so let me test this out. I downloaded it and it's been fast. It's been speedy. Yes, it is slowed down in certain aspects, like especially yesterday I was writing a blog post on word Press and it was it was pretty slow, but I'm beginning to think that's more of a word Press thing, and I, you know, anyway, I don't know if I'm gonna stick with it forever, but so far, I'm loving it and I think it's pretty great and I haven't missed anything from Chrome. The only thing is you do have to change your default browser to Google if you want that. The other feature I really like, that's kind of cool. When I open up a new tab, it gives me this cool new tab page, which is kind of fun. They try to like push MSN on me, which I'm like, ugh, these stories are so gross. They're like I call them lowest common LCD Lowest Common Denominator stories. They're like these headlines that are just so click Baity and whatever.
Speaker 2: Anyway, those are on there at the bottom. You can turn that off.
Speaker 1: But the other feature I really like is called Collections. And this is like this little thing on the side of your like a side tab window kind of thing where you can just drag like links in there and stuff like that, and it's really just cool. It's like a little like place to collect kind of like as you're web browsing things you want to remember, you can type in notes. That's been really fun and so anyway, I'll probably ditch it eventually, but for now, I'm loving Microsoft Edge. It's faster, it's cleaner, it's simpler. I wouldn't say it's cleaner, actually, but it is. It's just kind of working. So I never thought i'd see the day where I go back, go back in time to a Microsoft Internet browser. Okay, speaking of the future, Warner Brothers is just kind of blowing up Hollywood. It is totally changing the way that we see movies and it's gonna be pretty awesome next year. So Warner Brothers is going to release all of their new movies next year on HBO Max for a month and this is.
Speaker 2: Let's see before No, it's going to be just a month.
Speaker 1: So same day that you get the movie in the theater, it's going to come to HBO Max, which.
Speaker 2: Is really really cool.
Speaker 1: And I was trying to figure out if there's some sort of catch, like they were going to charge for the movie like Mulan, but no, it seems like they're literally just gonna put these movies on HBO Max, which makes the fifteen dollars a month that it that it costs like really worth it. And so here's the movies, the little things. Let's see I don't even know some of these movies, Tom and Jerry, Godzilla Versus Kong, Mortal Kombat, The Conjuring, Let's see Dune, that's gonna be a good one, Matrix four. So not every movie on here. I didn't mention everyone because I don't really know all of them. I don't really follow too many movies. But it just sounds awesome. I know they're doing wonder Woman. I talked about it that that's gonna be on Christmas Day, so I think it's really cool. So what they're doing is again they released the movie in the theater, it's gonna be on HBO Max for one month, and then it's gonna come off HBO Max and sort of go through what they call the the platform Windows or whatever. So it's gonna go to like, you know, Video on Demand and then Blu Ray and then finally make its way back to HBO Max eventually, or maybe be sold to like different products like you know who Hulu or are what's the other one?
Speaker 2: I subscribed to?
Speaker 1: All these things? There's so many now, Oh Netflix, Oh yeah, remember Netflix? Remember that one. But I think it's pretty cool. They're gonna do this for twenty twenty one. It's a one year plan. It's not you know, they're not doing it forever, so to say, but they're just gonna see how it works.
Speaker 2: And this will be a cool.
Speaker 1: Thing for consumers. And I am sad because I love the movie theater. I love movie theater popcorn, I love sitting there. But it's something we can't do, nor do I do as much as I'd like to do it. And so if I can watch these new movies at home, it's kind of fun. It's different, it's not the same, but there are some benefits to watching at home. And we will all see how much we like this in twenty twenty one. All right, Next question comes from Chris. Why does Apple Music? Apple keep putting music in my music from a certain artist? You too, I delete it every time, but their music keeps coming into my music when I play my music shuffled. I've never downloaded any of their music. I don't really care for them. As far as I can see, I'm not being charged for the download. I'm just curious why music was added to my music. Great podcast, Keep up the good work.
Speaker 2: PS.
Speaker 1: I get your newsletter, but sporadically, Chris, Well, Chris, to answer your newsletter question, I do that usually every other week, and so it may seem sporadic. And sometimes if I'm off on that Friday when i'm doing it, I'm you know, I don't do it, or I'm away for the weekend.
Speaker 2: But thank you for the newsletter.
Speaker 1: You can subscribe at richon tech dot substack dot com. It's free and it's it's pretty much this podcast. It's like, you know what I talk about, what I think you should know about, just kind of in text. Okay, to answer your question about you two, this was a couple of years ago. I mean, Chris, you're kind of a little bit behind on this one. But you two performed at an Apple event many years ago which I happen to be at. They were at Oh my gosh, this was in twenty fourteen, and I was there and I remember they said, and now you two is up on stage and wow, okay, boom YouTube performs, which is kind of cool. And then they said, and by the way, we are gifting everyone their latest album in their Apple Music You open your iPhone and boom, it's magically there. And I'll admit I never really listened to it, and I didn't really care for it, but whatever, I mean, it was fine.
Speaker 2: A lot of people like you too. I mean, I like a lot of their music. I just don't seek it out per se.
Speaker 1: But the album it irked a lot of people saying, hey, how dare you put this in my music collection. Well, they had a way to get rid of it. They had like this little tool that you can use to get rid of it, and they they got rid of the tool like a couple of years ago, and so you can no longer use this tool to get it out of your collection. So what you have to do if you really want to get rid of this, Chris, is contact Apple Music Support or Apple Support and they will help you get it out of your collection. No, you can't get rid of it by deleting it. It's just there forever.
Speaker 2: And let me see. I'm gonna open up my.
Speaker 1: iTunes or what's it called Apple Music now, the music app, and let's see.
Speaker 2: Do I still have my library albums?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: There it is the first thing in my.
Speaker 1: First thing in my album in my library is YouTube songs of Innocence.
Speaker 2: And I don't know how to get rid of it. Delete from library. Let's see what happens.
Speaker 1: Are you sure you'd like to hide this item? This item will be hidden from your iTunes purchases.
Speaker 2: Hide Boom.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's gone, all right, so just do that. You don't have to contact Apple if it comes back. It comes back, But it seems like it's gone. Seems like all you have to do is hide it. Yeah, it's not there anymore. So just go into your iTunes press hide album, and boom, it's hidden forever.
Speaker 2: All right. Now.
Speaker 1: I mentioned earlier that I love Whyse. I really really like what Wyse is doing. I think that they're just it's really really doing a great job with their products. I think they work really nicely, and I love the integration with Google. So they are coming out with a twenty dollars smart watch, twenty dollars smart watch with a nine day battery life. It's called the Wise Watch. It comes in two sizes. It does most of the things that you need a smart watch to do, including blood oxygen monitoring, heart rate tracking. It's got water and dust resistance. It's got your activity tracking, it's got sleep tracking. It works with Google Fit and Apple Health, and it will also let you control the Wise products from your wrist, so that's cool. It works with notifications. It's got all the apps that it works with, so you can get the notifications you need on your wrist. And this is coming in February. I emailed Wise immediately. I said, you got to get me on this list. You got to extend me one of these things as soon as it's available, because I'm going to get a bazillion questions about it. They said, sure, So I should be get this thing, hopefully early next year. It's shipping in February. Pre Orders are open now. You know, I find pre orders to be a tricky thing for the average consumer. I am I am privileged in the fact that I can get things before a lot of people and test them out and form opinions on them before a lot of people have to pony up their actual hard earned cash. Now that's part of my job, so I mean, that's what I do. And it's a good thing at the end of the day for consumers because you know, I can tell you what you think in that timeframe of the pre order. Now, with a lot of pre orders, it's tricky because you're buying stuff sight onseen and with something like the Wise Watch, now it's twenty bucks, so it's not that much money. And if you bought it and you hated it, yeah, you just return the thing, or even at the very worst, you know, give it to a friend, or you lost twenty dollars if you just stomp on it and say, this is the worst thing I've ever spent my money on.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's gonna happen, but you know it could. And so.
Speaker 1: Twenty dollars pretty amazing. We need a good, cheap smart watch. I reviewed one earlier this year called the Let's Fit, which was decent. I like their headphones a lot better. The watch was just okay. But so far I've not come across a good, good, good alternative to the Apple Watch, and this might be it. I don't think it's gonna be the end all, but as an alternative, it's a pretty good thing for twenty dollars that you know, a lot of people just want to track their steps.
Speaker 2: They want to you know. I mean, it does blood.
Speaker 1: Oxygen, does heart rate. I mean, they've got some good stuff on here. So the main thing it does not have, and why it would probably be a deal breaker for me, is that it does not have GPS tracking. They were not clear if it's going to have excuse me, if it's gonna have GPS tracking with your watch nearby or your phone nearby, which is how fippits the cheap ones.
Speaker 2: Do it there.
Speaker 1: I would assume that'd be the case, but it may not be. So I'm trying to remember with the the Wyse band, which is twenty five dollars, how they did it. I think I gotta see if I gotta try that again and see what happens.
Speaker 2: But I don't know. We'll see.
Speaker 1: It looks nice and hopefully I think the thing that will set this apart is the software. So a lot of these cheap smart watches you get the software is just terrible. Makes for a bad experience. Whys you know it's crafted up in Seattle. So if it's a good experience and good software, maybe it will kind of put this thing above some of these cheap things and they can have a really good watch at a very inexpensive price. So wise watch. Continue to kind of keep track of that one and just see how it progresses, because I have high hopes for it.
Speaker 2: We'll see how it does, all right.
Speaker 1: David says, do you have any hacks for stopping spam texts? I used to get a lot of spam calls. For some reason, they've dropped off, but now I'm getting a lot of spam texts all hours of the night.
Speaker 2: Is there an answer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Spam text, spam calls, it's a problem. My wife gets so many of these spam calls. I get a couple, not as many as you think for someone that I feel like I've had my phone number for a long time, and I you know, I don't know, I don't get that many. Even spam texts, I don't get that many. So if you're getting a lot of these things, I would recommend two things. Number one, if you have an iPhone, you can turn on a filter that's called filter messages from unknown senders, and that I believe is let's see, is that inside the phone app could be inside the phone Let's see. Okay, So go into messages and it says filter onknown senders.
Speaker 2: Just flip that on.
Speaker 1: And the only thing I don't like about this is that there's they put these into a new tab in your messages, your I Messages app, and it's kind of like you forget about these things because sometimes some of these things do go into the unknown folder and it's from people that you actually do want to talk to. So I think, you know, they're using their serious smarts to kind of identify numbers that you've never done any business with or that have never appeared in your email.
Speaker 2: So it should work a.
Speaker 1: Majority of the time, but it's not always going to be perfect. Just know that going into this. The other thing, if you're an Android, I would recommend using the Google Messages app. They've got spam filtering built into their messages app and it's Google, so they're smart and googly and so that should work pretty well on the Android side of things. And that is the Google Messages app just because you have a messages app on your phone, it doesn't mean it's the Google one. It might be Samsung's, it might be a third party. But if you want, you can switch to the Google one and get their spam protection and it is built right in and it's free.
Speaker 2: So that's what I'd recommend. David, good luck with the spam.
Speaker 1: This is a really cool feature that is coming to the Amazon Fire TV Cube. It's it's limited, but I still want to talk about it because I still think it's like, we need this, especially with this pandemic going on. Everyone's doing video calls. Well, Fire TV cube second generation Fire TV cubes can now accommodate a webcam, and so what does that mean you can use I'm just gonna look up how much a fire TV cube is. You can use a webcam on your TV, which means you can make video calls on your TV, which I've been waiting for forever. No one seems to have figured this out in a big way. Oh wow, Fire TV Cube is eighty bucks. I thought this was more like one twenty, but eighty dollars. Oh used to be one twenty right now it's eighty I might actually buy one of these things from my mom right now, because I want to do this. I want her to have a webcam on her TV. If she's okay with it. I'm not sure I get it. It's a little privacy insensitive because you've got a you know, a camera staring at you on your TV all day. But you can get one with a little slider thing that you know, covers up the lens. You don't feel like big brother's watching you all day. But you plug the webcam into the back of the into the back of the fire TV cube. It says, oh, you plugged in a webcam. Here, let's set up video came and you can video call in a couple different ways.
Speaker 2: The main way that it seems.
Speaker 1: You can do it is through the Alexa, their own sort of homegrown video calling. And this means that anyone on the other end that has the Alexa Alexa stop.
Speaker 2: I gotta do that.
Speaker 1: Oh she really likes to listen, so anyway, Alexa stand down.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, she really okay.
Speaker 1: Remind me to she goes, I'm not guarding your home. Remind me to turn off. I gotta press the microphone mute on there next time. Anyway, I'll try not to say her name anymore. Anyway, you plug in the webcam and you can call someone with this app, so all they need is the app on their phone and you'd be able to call them, which is pretty cool, so you don't have to like you know, most people have like an Amazon account, so they can just sign in through that use it on their phone, or if you have an Echo device like one of their Echo display devices, it'll work through that. And hopefully as this thing gets more robust, you'll be able to do more things like maybe use Skype or maybe use Zoom and call anyone that way. But anyway, it's very early stage. It's not very simple. I don't think this is going to be the end all with this, but I think it's cool to have this as an option because it's pretty much, I think, at this point, the most inexpensive option for adding video calling to your TV eighty dollars plus a webcam, which is probably they gave a list of them that works, but could probably maybe get one for you anywhere from fifty to one hundred bucks. And yes it's expensive, but it's still a nice solution. And I think the problem with all of these solutions are that is it something that someone that is not very tech savvy can sign up for and set up.
Speaker 2: Probably not, but it's a step in the right direction.
Speaker 1: And this is what makes it so complicated, because I want to set this up for my mom today because it's so much easier to just video call on the couch, But you know that would require me flying home to New Jersey, breaking all the rules, meeting with my mom, who I don't want to put at risk, and setting this thing up, and I just can't do that. So it's like this catch twenty two situation we're in right now, where we're getting these things that can help us communicate during this pandemic, but it's really tough to set up for the people that need them the most, which is people like my mom that I live far away from that I want to stay in touch with, but I can't go there to set this up for her, and she's not doing herself. You need a compatible webcam, a micro USB to USB adapter, and your fire TV cube. Oh yeah, okay, hey, Mom, just pull that micro USB to USB adapter you got laying in the drawer there. No, of course she doesn't have that, nobody has that. I do, actually do I have micro USB to USB. Probably not, that's yeah, I probably don't have that if I can order it from Amazon. Kind of cool though. I love the idea of video chatting on the TV. Also, the other aspect I like of this is that you don't have to switch inputs. Uses a fire TV stick, I would just switch her to the cube and now when I video call, it's just like while she's watching TV boom, video call incoming. How neat is that you don't have to switch inputs, whereas with something like a standalone device, like if you somehow created a webcam that sat on your TV that was able to plug into the HDMI, you'd still have the issue of changing HDMI inputs. It wasn't it wouldn't always be on and ready to go to receive calls, because you know, even if the thing physically or visual visually, even if the thing made an audible ring. I mean, how many people are techy enough to like run over to their TV, pick up the remote, change to a different input.
Speaker 2: No, it's just not gonna work. It's not. It's not slick enough to do that.
Speaker 1: And so for this reason, these devices like the Apple TV, the Fire TV Roku, where are you Roku, Are you listening. You need to let people connect a webcam to your device because they need to be able to see the fact that video calls are incoming on their TV screen so they can answer them on their TV screen. Nobody is switching an input to take a video call. It's just not happening. It's never going to happen. So again, I get it. There are ways of doing this, but you need to make it easy for the average person so that they can answer a call. The things we take for granted that just are very complicated for people that are not Techi. All right, let's see, Elaine says. I'm a senior that listens to your broadcasts on TV. I use a Dell computer and an iPhone seven. I'd like to buy a tablet, not an Apple, and would like your device on what to buy many thanks Elaine.
Speaker 2: Elaine.
Speaker 1: If you don't want to buy a tablet that's Apple, which I'm not sure why, I don't know, I would recommend the Amazon Fire HD ten. Well, I'll recommend two. I'll actually recommend three. Amazon Fire HG ten. I think overall is going to be your best bang for your buck. It is a nice, big tablet and it's uh, you know, a nice big screen. It's relatively inexpensive. It's one hundred and eighty nine dollars, which is kind of expensive for how much it was during Black Friday sales. It's gone down to ninety dollars. So I would say it sells a lot at one nineteen, so i'd look for that price. And it has gone down to ninety over and over and over.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's use pricing. I don't want use pricing. That's terrible. I just want new okay, just new pricing.
Speaker 1: M Yeah, new pricing. It's gone down to one nineteen, so just look for one nineteen. That's that's the target price you want. I'm using an app called kipa k e e p A on It's an extension that plugs in and it gives you the pricing history on Amazon.
Speaker 2: I would I would do.
Speaker 1: That if you can. Honey does price history as well. Let's see what they say. They say, Yeah, one nineteen has been about the price. So that's the price you want to look for. That's the target one hundred and nineteen bucks. No problem recommending that. It sounds pretty good. It does what you need. The only thing is You're not gonna have access to all the Google apps easily, and so if you're looking for something like Gmail or Chrome or Apple or Google Maps, you're just not gonna be able to install those easily. Yes, they can be installed, not easily. And if you're telling me you're not very techy, oh, you didn't say you're not very techy. You just said you're a senior that listens.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. Maybe you are techie, but you don't want Apple.
Speaker 1: So the next one i'd recommend is probably the maybe a Samsung.
Speaker 2: I think it's the A seven tablet.
Speaker 1: I would recommend that one, which is going to give you easy access to the Google apps because it does have Google Play. And at the end of the day, I'd say you're best served by going with the gold standard of tablets, which is an iPad three hundred and twenty nine dollars for the iPad ten point two latest generation, which is I believe the eighth generation three hundred and twenty nine dollars and many, many times you can find it cheaper if you just go on Google and just type you know, iPad and deals and yeah, ten point two inch iPad goes down to two ninety nine very often, especially on on Amazon. And why I say that is because look, Apple invented the tablet.
Speaker 2: It is the best. You can't get better than an Apple tablet.
Speaker 1: If you want something that's going to last the longest, it's gonna be the most compatible with every app out there, It's gonna have the best selection of apps, the best accessories.
Speaker 2: Go with the iPad.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit more expensive, but you will get your money's worth over the long term because you already use an iPhone, so it's gonna it's gonna have some synergies with that. But I would say go with that. If you know, if you're very basic and all you want is something that's simple and you know whatever, no frills, go with the Amazon Fire HD. But if you want something that's going to give you the least headaches, I think the iPad is going to do that. And I had a person email or tweet me and said they're still using their original original iPad from I mean, how many years ago did the iPad come out. It's got to be you know, ten years. Maybe I don't know, something something wild like that. Yeah, I was working at tech Meme, so I think it was ten years, at least ten years. I've been at KTLA for ten years and tech Meme was before that, so ten years. I remember sitting there watching the unveiling of the tablet. I was not at the event, and Steve Jobs on stage and just you know, this tablet came out and I just thought to myself, Oh my gosh, they've done it again. They have changed the world one more time. They did it with the iPhone, now they're doing it with the tablet. And I remember going out and buying that immediately. It was this big honkin' thick tablet that just was like a slab of like thick bezel glass and thick aluminum on the back that was like kind of brushed. I feel like I can't I'm trying to remember if it was like a brush like almost like a little grittier than the slick.
Speaker 2: Stuff they used today.
Speaker 1: But it was just so big and thick, and like this thing was like massive, and it was expensive and it just you know, now it was like super slow.
Speaker 2: I wonder if I kept that tablet. I probably have it somewhere here.
Speaker 1: But anyway, Uh, it's just it's come a long way and it's just still the best. They've just continued to perfect it. And if you want a tablet, the iPad is still the best tablet out there. Oh, speaking of nostalgia, Google play Music is dead. It's officially dead. I'm not gonna harp on this too much, but I have a fond spot in my heart for Google play Music because it was the music app of my choice for many, many years. And I switched to YouTube Music when the writing was on the wall that this was going away. But I'll tell you the one reason, the one reason why I used Google play Music over anything else was a single playlist from Songza and the playlist was called drum roll Please blogged fifty the most buzzed about tracks from the worlds of pop, R and B, hip hop, electronic and indie. And the reason I loved blog fifty is because I felt like I was so cool knowing about every major popular song before anyone else in the world, and this was my secret way of figuring them out. I knew every song from every artist before anyone else knew about it. And why because I just listened to this blog fifty and it was what it is and it still is. It's still around, it still lives on in YouTube music, but Blogged fifty looks at what all the bloggers are writing about on all these things, like remember I ever hear of like Pitchfork. I don't even understand what Pitchfork is saying when they write posts about things. It's like it just does. It's not even written in English to me. But yet somehow they know about the hot new artists that are coming out, and it's like Pitchfork and stuff like that. They look at all their posts and then they come up with this playlist and you know, it's just the playlist that for me define music for so many years. I've gotten a little way from it because now I listen to mostly country music and thanks to my wife, and now I know every country artist, and I just have gotten away from like the Jenny Lewises of the world, and I'm looking through their playlist. BTS is on there, Megan the Stallion, Like no idea, who that is? Miley Cyrus, I know who that is, The Weekend, I know who that is. Rico, Nasty Goodie Mob, Oh my gosh, I can't believe they're still around because Goodie Mob.
Speaker 2: Funny story.
Speaker 1: Many many years ago, I was at USC covering stuff for the newspaper, and Goodie Mob invited me to their show at the House of Blues, and this was pretty much the first like thing I was ever invited to as a journalist, and I thought I was so cool. I'm at the Goodie Mob show at the House of Blues. Goodie Mob not necessarily my type of music personally, but it was still really awesome to be a part of this. And after the show, the guys come up to me and they're like, hey, you want to go come party with us? And I was like no, and I like ran away because I was like so scared because here I am, this little college kid who had no idea what Hollywood was all about. Was like literally just off the plane from New Jersey, and I'm so scared of everything in Los Angeles and I'm like.
Speaker 2: Uh, no ah, sorry, i can't party with old people.
Speaker 1: These people in Goodie Mob at the time were probably like twenty five, They're probably three years older than me. And I was so like intimidated. I was such a little loser. Oh gosh. And now, of course I'd be like, yes, oh heck yeah, let me. Where are you going? What kind of cool Hollywood Hills party? Are we going to let me absorb it all and see what it's all like? And I was so, oh my gosh, so timid, and so what what a difference a couple of years and some experience makes. Right Now, I just say yes to everything, and it somehow sometimes backfires. Anyway, That's why I that's why I used Google play Music for so many years, and now I've tried Spotify. I also have a subscription to Apple Music, and you know, I use them for different things. Apple Music mainly for my watch, and I talked about how I got away from it, but I ended up breaking down and getting it again because of various things.
Speaker 2: And also my wife. I hate to you know.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it's a whole big thing. But anyway, so I'm paying for Apple Music again.
Speaker 2: And that's it.
Speaker 1: So you Google music, Google play Music is dead. It's now YouTube music.
Speaker 2: And there you have.
Speaker 1: It, all right, let's see, Oh, speaking of playing paying for music, Hi, Rich, I'm a regular listener of the podcast from Faraway New Jersey, represent Jersey, you know, I'm from there. I enjoy listening to reviews and tech answers. I was listening to the November thirteenth podcast and appreciated how you started out expressing that you understand we are in difficult financial times for many Americans. However, I feel it was a bit insensitive when you called out the uber driver that doesn't pay five dollars a month for Pandora. Yes, five dollars is not much, but you don't know the financial situation of this person or what this person may be doing with that five dollars, maybe paying down credit card debt, maybe giving it to charity. I think young people are being targeted by companies with messages of just a few dollars a month, and as you know, it adds up quickly. I think a better message would be to give the uber driver props for saying no at some point to monthly fees. Just thought i'd share my thoughts and perspectives. Thanks for doing what you do and making it easy to connect, Chris. Chris, I one hundred percent, one hundred percent understand where you're coming from. And yes, maybe my privilege was just showing through my words, and I totally understand what you're saying. And it's interesting because I was there when I was you know, coming up through the business. I was broke for many, many, many years, and I can still tell you exactly what that feels like. I still am scared every day of you know, where I'm going to get my next meal, where I'm going to you know, how I'm gonna pay for this, How I'm gonna pay for that. It's also one of the reasons why I found Dave Ramsey in my life and made it my lifelong goal to not be beholden to debt and credit cards and companies that just love to get you on this monthly payment. And I guess that's why I don't see the five dollars a month these days as so much of a big deal, because I know I can stop it at any time. And I always say, if I was, you know, unemployed tomorrow, I would Spotify's going, YouTube Music is going, every tiny little subscription, HBO Max. It's been nice knowing you, and it's happened before to me. You know, I have been I have been laid off twice in my life and I have left a job once. And so I've been working for you know, twenty years, and in those twenty years, yeah, there's been some ups and downs, and I totally totally get it, and it's not something I talk about all the time. But believe me, I am very cognizant of you know, financial situations of people. And it's a reason why I don't like to judge folks for what they do.
Speaker 2: And how they choose to do things.
Speaker 1: And maybe I was going off a little bit on a tangent with that five dollars a month for Pandora, And I'm thinking back to what I said, and I was kind of being a little flippant, I think, And so you're right, you know what, I will happily, happily listen to the ads the next time I'm in someone's car or in a hair studio where they're cutting my hair, and you know, I hear ads come up on Pandora. You know what, Chris, you are right, And who is it for me? You know, who's it for me to judge someone who may not be doing as well as I am. And so you know what, and no matter where you are on any level, that should be the case. And so believe me, I ate rice and beans and beans and rice for many years of my life, and the ninety nine cent pizzas and the free food. You know, I used to go to these events and if there was free food. It was like the most amazing thing of my life, you know, as a journalist, and it's like, oh, what kind of cheap free eats can I have? And you know, it's just it's part of you know, journalism is not the most lucrative job in the world, and there are many other jobs that are not as not as great, and so no, I mean, my job is great. I love my job, and you know, it's been very good to me, and so I'm not complaining.
Speaker 2: But I just will say that Chris, you checked.
Speaker 1: Me, and I totally understand, and you know, that's about all I can say on that. And I just want to make it clear that I am very much understanding of different backgrounds, and believe me, I worked through my student loans. I worked through my credit card debt, and it was not easy and it's something that I wish many many people can do because it is gosh. I remember when I was working in Louisiana, I used to get my paycheck and I was so so messed up with my debt and stuff that I used to have to literally pay the credit card companies by a cashier check because they wouldn't take anything else or a money order, and so I used to have to get my paycheck and secretly i'd run to the post office get my little money order and pay my credit cards because I was paying them off. They were all frozen and done, and nobody would give me a credit card at that time, and I just it was so like, I was so embarrassed. I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want anyone to know that I had this. Like now, of course, you know, many more people talk about debt and there's a million podcasts about it, and it's my biggest goal to stay out of it at this point.
Speaker 2: And anyway, so thank you, Chris. I appreciate it, and I.
Speaker 1: Don't want you to think that I ever felt like I was judging people. I was just kind of saying, you know, if you spend five bucks on a Coca Cola, you know you can maybe afford the five dollars for the Pandora, but I get it anyway, all right, moving on now, Verizon, this is interesting. I just want to mention it quickly because it's a new option. I don't know if everyone's going to take advantage of it or a lot of you are, but it's just kind of nice to know, especially since Google Photos is now going to charge. And I said on last week's podcast that now that they're going to charge, it kind of opens the door for everyone. And so there's lots of options. Now anyone who has cloud storage is on kind of an even playing field. And Verizon is now doing unlimited clouds storage for twenty dollars a month, which is pretty interesting to me, someone who pays ten dollars a month for two terabytes.
Speaker 2: Now am I.
Speaker 1: Ready to switch over all my Google Photos to Verizon Cloud?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: And I think that you probably have to have a Verizon Mobile account to keep this active, which means it locks you into them, which I'm not really a big fan of because I like kind of independent things. But twenty dollars a month for unlimited cloud storage not a bad deal. And so if you have a Verizon unlimited plan. By the way, they do include a couple one hundred gigabytes of storage, so my old plan. I had to look this up because I went and I downloaded the whole Verizon desktop. They have a desktop app. I went and I downloaded it, and sure enough, it said, oh, which one do you want to sign up for? And I was like, wait, I thought I got some free Verizon cloud storage. I apparently don't anymore because on a couple a couple months ago, I downgraded my Verizon plan to save me twenty dollars a month, and I guess one of the things that was a casualty and that was my free cloud storage. So I no longer get it. I couldn't even try this out without paying. Well, you can try thirty days for free, which I may do that, but I.
Speaker 2: Don't think I'm gonna switch.
Speaker 1: But it's just nice to know that there are options, and if you are a Verizon customer that's not leaving anytime soon. I mean, twenty dollars a month for family shared unlimited storage is pretty darn good and I don't know so anyway, there's your options. It's two terabytes for fifteen a month and six hundred gigs for five ninety nine. Or just look into your Verizon plan and see if your plan offers cloud storage. It may the one that I used to be on offered the cloud.
Speaker 2: Storage for free.
Speaker 1: It was let's see, it was the if you are on the Do More Unlimited, you get six hundred gigs. If you're on the get more unlimited, you get six hundred gigs. I mean, six hundred gigs is not bad, especially with all these people starting to charge, you know, move some of your bigger, lesser used files to that. If you have it available, they have a desktop app, might as well use it, all right, one more question here, let's see here, Adam says. I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving and some quality time with your family. My wife, Sally, and I are looking for an audio system for our home. We are torn behind the Sonos and the new Apple Pods HomePods. We saw your report and now we're intrigued in your opinion, which would give us more bang for our buck. At this point, we're kind of leaning towards the Apple. Thank you for your insight, Adam. I did have the HomePods set up in my house and I was so ready to switch over. But I'll be honest, it just became too much work and it was too complicated, and as good as Apple has made it for me personally, I already have my sons it performs better. And I sat there and I said, why am I trying to go crazy implementing this Apple system that is a little bit more complicated when I already have Sonos and it works with all my music services, and that's what I'm sticking with. So my Sonos system is old at this point. All my speakers are out of date. I need to buy new ones. And I almost pulled the trigger on a Black Friday with their Cyber Monday deal and I didn't, but I will. I mean, because speakers are speakers. They still work. It's just I don't know what I'm missing, but it just feels like I need something new. And the HomePods are great, and I still think if you have let's say, you know, if you're setting this up for the first time and you are super Apple centric, the HomePods are amazing and they're pretty darn good for ninety nine dollars for all the rooms of your house. It's just it's going to be a little bit trickier to set them up, like for the home whole home audio, and it's not really that tricky. It's just once you're used to the way Sonos works, it's just kind of like it's just there. Sonos entire business is whole home audio, and so Apple has a lot of different things. They do them pretty well. But you know this the HomePods are great, and I can't recommend them enough. I think they're awesome. But you're saying, what's the most for your buck? I mean, I guess bang for your buck would probably be the Apple stuff. But I think the best whole home audio solution is still the sons. So I hope that answers your question. I know I'm kind of like waffling here and you're probably sitting here going, oh my gosh, Rich, a couple of weeks ago, you're talking about how great they are. But you know, these things take a little bit of time to kind of figure out. And what got me with the Apple stuff is it just became a matter of like I didn't know which speakers were in the group where the volume was at, and it became a little bit tricky. And so when things get tricky and complicated and I press play in the bedroom and all of a sudden, I hear the music blasting in the dining room, like, oh, what's going on here? And that's what caused me to just go and get all the Sono speakers back out of the garage, set them all up, and.
Speaker 2: Boom, I'm back on Sonos and.
Speaker 1: It's been pretty good. I'll be honest, it's been pretty nice. I love my sonos now. It's just expensive to set up and it took me a while to do it, so kind of like investing in the system. All right, that's gonna do it for this episode of the show. If you'd like to submit a question for me to answer, just go to Richontech dot tv hit the email button at the bottom of the page. Also, I would love it if you would rate and review this podcast to help other people discover it. Just go to rate this podcast dot com, slash rich on tech, or just submit your rating, you know, on iTunes or whatever you use, Apple Podcasts or whatever app. You can find me online at rich on tech. I'm on all social media networks there. My name is Rich Jamiro. Thanks so much for listening. Thanks for being a part of this show. I do appreciate it. Stay safe, keep that feedback coming, keep the emails coming, keep the likes and the posts and the favorites, and whatever you do on my social media.
Speaker 2: I do appreciate it. I do read a lot of it. Thank you so much. Again.
Speaker 1: My name is Rich Dmiro. I will talk to you real soon. Turn then thunder the